Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Boris Johnson learned nothing from Pinchergate – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,539

Rishi Sunak got grief for registering his website a couple of days early. Whois shows Penny Mordaunt's dates from 2019, so she must have planned to run against Boris.

$ whois pm4pm.com |grep Creation
       Creation Date: 2019-05-24T08:02:03Z

Clearly used to be a member of the scouts...Be Prepared and all that.
    Or Girl Guides, surely. But do girl guides have woggles? I have absolutely no idea.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,222

nico679 said:

Interesting that both Hunt and Javid would keep the BBC license fee .

That’s encouraging and hopefully when the odious BBC hater Dorries leaves the cabinet the cultural vandalism might diminish.

She is going to the Lords but not sure what they have done to deserve that fate
    I wonder. Blabbing about forthcoming honours used to mean the envelope got lost in the post. And if she only has Boris's word for it, I'd not be down the ermine shop just yet.
    Apparently it is in his gift
    And if Johnson says he is going to do something, then you can be sure that is what he will... er... um.
    In this case only the Lords Committee could stop him
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    18m
    With so many candidates now in the race, the pressure to say something batshit crazy to differentiate yourself from the pack is increasing. 1922 need to get rid of the flotsam and jetsam quickly, and then let the serious candidates set out their cases in a measured way.

From listening to the outpourings from the candidates, I think the "Conservatives" are indeed ready for Opposition.
    If the next PM received your approval the world would have turned in its head
    This lot do not seem to be doing anything to help the COUNTRY, but they appear to be doing their best to help themselves to Power & Glory.

TBF to them, their membership does not care much for the country either as long as it protects their houses, investments and free healthcare so maybe that limits their choices.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,199

Hunt and McVey feels like the infamous Clarke/Redwood pact.

Or a sub par 70s detective series.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Unless she has skeletons in the closet, in sexy leather, it has to be Mordaunt if the Tories actually want to WIN the next election

She’s the only one without some dramatic flaw

Sunak: way too rich, non dom, “I don’t know a working class person”, 2 foot high
    Javid: deathly dull, bald, so so dull, merchant banker
    Zahawi: being investigated for tax, was chancellor for 3 minutes (why?), bald, hmm that PPE thing
    Truss: deeply strange, was a Lib Dem, was a Remainer, republican, allegedly mad, just a bad fit
    Braverman: thinks sending people to Rwanda makes us great
    Badenoch: who? Also about 13 years old
    Hunt: rat-eyed mannequin Remainer
    Grant Shapps: lol, wig

And then, Mordaunt: attractive, sane, intelligent, not posh!, sound on Brexit and defence, will appeal to Red Wall

The only downsides I can see at the moment (more will emerge) are her single status and childlessness, but - really - should that matter? I don’t give a fig but some might. Also she is relatively inexperienced but then, so was Maggie. She is allegedly Woke but she persuasively rebutted that yesterday

Do it, Tories. PM for PM!

You missed one, PB4TOMT

But then again: French Jew with German surname, forrin wife, remainer. So reluctantly probably PM4PM4PB.
    If you are right about Tugendhat's religion, he will be miffed that the Jewish Chronicle has gone with Grant Shapps.
    Heritage, i think he is personally RC. but moved the amendment which imposed abortion and SSM on NI, so God knows.
    Carnyx said:

Just back from a week's cruise to the Norwegian fjords. Have I missed anything?

Was it a good cruise? Been wondering about trying that.
    We have been on several cruises to Norway and indeed then on to the Artic and in one case to Iceland and Greenland

They are fantastic and the best way to see Norway

You would not be disappointed

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,534

nico679 said:

Interesting that both Hunt and Javid would keep the BBC license fee .

That’s encouraging and hopefully when the odious BBC hater Dorries leaves the cabinet the cultural vandalism might diminish.

She is going to the Lords but not sure what they have done to deserve that fate
    I wonder. Blabbing about forthcoming honours used to mean the envelope got lost in the post. And if she only has Boris's word for it, I'd not be down the ermine shop just yet.
    Apparently it is in his gift
    And if Johnson says he is going to do something, then you can be sure that is what he will... er... um.
    In this case only the Lords Committee could stop him
    You're missing my point Big_G - a promise from Johnson is not worth the paper it's not written on.

Carnyx said:

We have been on several cruises to Norway and indeed then on to the Artic and in one case to Iceland and Greenland

Thanks. Hurtigruten?

Surely Hunt was never popular with the electorate and Esther McVey was especially unpopular? She does have great hair though...
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle makes good use of Jupiter too. You should watch the whole thing - it's very prescient about Brexit and celebrity cancellations but you can just check in at the 20:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkd0CmHiyoI
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    Nigelb said:

They'd have a cool car though. With a go-faster stripe (the only obvious source of such propulsion for their campaign, mind....)
    A significant upgrade to what they have - this is the US/Norwegian developed ground launched AMRAAM.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1546067306815651841
    Ukraine is already working with the manufacturer to receive Norwegian mobile battery of NASAMS anti-aircraft missiles.

This will significantly strengthen the defense of Ukrainian skies, the spokesman for the Air Force Command Yuriy Ihnat said.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,692
    Why is Labour still going on about a VoNC?
    They wouldn't win it, and would likely just unify the Conservatives against them.

The time for Labour to VoNC was last Wednesday, but Starmer missed the boat massively, like many Conservative cabinet ministers did.

I doubt they'll try, but it'll be easily batted aside if they did.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Nigelb said:

They'd have a cool car though. With a go-faster stripe (the only obvious source of such propulsion for their campaign, mind....)
    Fire up the Quattro......
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,040

Jonathan said:

I knew I’d seen Penny’s video before. Enjoy…

https://youtu.be/T72TopWbXJg

Damian McBride
    @DPMcBride
    I'm a sucker for a campaign ad with 'I vow to thee' as the soundtrack, images of a thriving Britain, and the appearance of the candidate at the end. But the male voiceover in the Penny Mordaunt ad does take it a bit too close to The Day Today's emergency broadcast instead.

https://twitter.com/DPMcBride/status/1546058387695222789

McBride wrote this PPB for the 07 election that wasn't

I couldn't tell you the tune to this song. Is it popular?
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Thanks. Hurtigruten?
    We went with Hurtigruten to the Antarctic and they fulfil the role of serving the Fjord communities but are more working ships than cruise ships

We went with Fred Olsen, but then we sailed with them to Oslo and returned from Bergen for our honeymoon in 1964 and have a soft spot for them

However they are smaller ships to the larger cruise lines
    Carnyx said:

Yes - spectacular scenery. Weather was a cool and a bit meh but it had been mid-20s the week before apparently. We consoled ourselves with the thought that the fjords look even more moody shrouded in mist with occasional burst of sunshine picking out the snowcapped sides.

So, the scenery was great but Cunard were not really up to scratch overall: Food ok at best, entertainment poor, ship spotlessly clean, service very good.

The ship was (deliberately) only 2/3rds full apparently. It feels like they have a long climb back to normality from covid tbh.
    Interesting findings.
    I suppose "be aggressive about Brexit" relates to a desire for the candidates to be in denial about how it's going ?

https://twitter.com/theobertram/status/1546039192106442752
    5 top concerns among Tory members that candidates are focused on. Will you:
    1. Cut tax?
    2. Be aggressive on Brexit?
    3. Increase defence spending?
    4. Say trans-women are not women?
    And then - very oddly for a Tory contest - this one is a long way behind:
    5. Win the next election?

And not apparently looking for an election winner.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

Jonathan said:

Damian McBride
    @DPMcBride
    I'm a sucker for a campaign ad with 'I vow to thee' as the soundtrack, images of a thriving Britain, and the appearance of the candidate at the end. But the male voiceover in the Penny Mordaunt ad does take it a bit too close to The Day Today's emergency broadcast instead.

Interesting. But what's in it for the working classes and urban proles? Perhaps just as well it was never used.

Edit: Not to mention the small town working classes.
    It's aimed at aristocrats and the upper classes and the working classes

-Well, not the working classes

the more I think about that clip the more hilariously toxic it gets. bye bye Rishi.
    eek said:

You'll be pining for them by the end of the week.
    I probably wood be.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    The Tory candidates are either corrupt crooks or swivel-eyed loons. They should have stuck with Boris - at least he's vote winner!
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Mordaunt’s odds are shortening and Sunak’s are drifting, they are ahead of the pack

Truss is third

Everyone else is also ran. As things stand

So I reckon it will be one of those three, with Mordaunt as slight fave as she would likely beat either with the members?

Betfair next prime minister:-
    3.1 Rishi Sunak
    4.7 Penny Mordaunt
    8 Liz Truss (not yet declared but...)
    12 Jeremy Hunt
    17 Tom Tugendhat
    19.5 Sajid Javid
    25 Kemi Badenoch
    25 Nadhim Zahawi
    30 Suella Braverman
    70 Priti Patel (not declared)
    75 Grant Shapps
    I think Kemi is the value there, she should be at least two or three places higher than she is.
    Penny is reeling in RIshi at quite a rate.....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

Sandpit said:

MrEd said:

Sandpit said:

Sounds like there’s been crowd trouble at the F1 in Austria this weekend.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-to-discuss-unacceptable-fan-harassment-with-austrian-gp-promoter/10336028/

Why are all the sports fans starting to behave like football fans? Too much alcohol and cocaine? It used to be that other sports always had a friendly atmosphere, sometimes a little boisterous but with the crowd policing themselves well. There was even fighting at Edgebaston at the Test Match last week.

I was chatting about this with an industry contact who goes to the league 1 matches. His view is that, post Covid, everyone is going mental when it goes to days out - he says before at the matches it used to be a few guys having a couple of cans and getting vaguely pissed, now there is a whole group taking coke and drugs during the game.

The odd thing is that despite triumphant press releases about breaking encrochat and massive drug shipments intercepted, there seems to be more coke about than ever. They'll be adding it to the CPI next.
    Prohibition of substances never works, we learned this in the USA a century ago.

Sell it in pharmacies, with known doses and taxes on it. Spend some of the taxes on addiction treatment programmes.
    This is the key driver in Europe....

The Slippery Dutch Slope from Drug Tolerance to Drug Terror

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/narco-state-netherlands-the-slippery-dutch-slope-from-drug-tolerance-to-drug-terror-a-4c064859-9faf-495f-b1f7-c74900910568

How the Netherlands became a narco state

https://unherd.com/2022/03/how-the-netherlands-became-a-narco-state/#:~:text=How the Netherlands became a narco state
    Wow, that’s a sobering read. Sounds like the drugs gangs are totally out of control.
    murali_s said:

The Tory candidates are either corrupt crooks or swivel-eyed loons. They should have stuck with Boris - at least he's vote winner!

Was.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,185

Why is Labour still going on about a VoNC?
    They wouldn't win it, and would likely just unify the Conservatives against them.

The time for Labour to VoNC was last Wednesday, but Starmer missed the boat massively, like many Conservative cabinet ministers did.

I doubt they'll try, but it'll be easily batted aside if they did.

The rationale for Labour calling a confidence vote is presumably that it will force the leadership candidates to line up behind Boris. This can later be thrown back in the face of the new prime minister. More likely there will be ten urgently arranged dental appointments.
    Nigelb said:

A significant upgrade to what they have - this is the US/Norwegian developed ground launched AMRAAM.

Ukraine is already working with the manufacturer to receive Norwegian mobile battery of NASAMS anti-aircraft missiles.

This will significantly strengthen the defense of Ukrainian skies, the spokesman for the Air Force Command Yuriy Ihnat said.

The good news keeps coming for the Ukranians.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    edited July 2022

MrEd said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-to-discuss-unacceptable-fan-harassment-with-austrian-gp-promoter/10336028/

Why are all the sports fans starting to behave like football fans? Too much alcohol and cocaine? It used to be that other sports always had a friendly atmosphere, sometimes a little boisterous but with the crowd policing themselves well. There was even fighting at Edgebaston at the Test Match last week.

I was chatting about this with an industry contact who goes to the league 1 matches. His view is that, post Covid, everyone is going mental when it goes to days out - he says before at the matches it used to be a few guys having a couple of cans and getting vaguely pissed, now there is a whole group taking coke and drugs during the game.

The odd thing is that despite triumphant press releases about breaking encrochat and massive drug shipments intercepted, there seems to be more coke about than ever. They'll be adding it to the CPI next.
    These drugs gangs seem to be extraordinarily innovative and effective despite massive legal hurdles, they deliver for their customers. Perhaps we should ask them to take over some of our major conglomerates?

Christ, they probably pay more tax that Apple, Amazon, Aphabet and Meta combined as it is.

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Mordaunt’s odds are shortening and Sunak’s are drifting, they are ahead of the pack

Truss is third

Everyone else is also ran. As things stand

So I reckon it will be one of those three, with Mordaunt as slight fave as she would likely beat either with the members?

Betfair next prime minister:-
    3.1 Rishi Sunak
    4.7 Penny Mordaunt
    8 Liz Truss (not yet declared but...)
    12 Jeremy Hunt
    17 Tom Tugendhat
    19.5 Sajid Javid
    25 Kemi Badenoch
    25 Nadhim Zahawi
    30 Suella Braverman
    70 Priti Patel (not declared)
    75 Grant Shapps
    I think Kemi is the value there, she should be at least two or three places higher than she is.
    Penny is reeling in RIshi at quite a rate.....
    I think we have finally arrived at the same page and both hope Penny will win the campaign

Though I am content with Rishi or Liz if it pans out that way
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MrEd said:

Sandpit said:

Prohibition of substances never works, we learned this in the USA a century ago.

Sell it in pharmacies, with known doses and taxes on it. Spend some of the taxes on addiction treatment programmes.
    This is the key driver in Europe....

The Slippery Dutch Slope from Drug Tolerance to Drug Terror

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/narco-state-netherlands-the-slippery-dutch-slope-from-drug-tolerance-to-drug-terror-a-4c064859-9faf-495f-b1f7-c74900910568

How the Netherlands became a narco state

https://unherd.com/2022/03/how-the-netherlands-became-a-narco-state/#:~:text=How the Netherlands became a narco state
    Wow, that’s a sobering read. Sounds like the drugs gangs are totally out of control.
    This is another good read,

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/may/20/a-united-nations-of-how-marbella-became-a-magnet-for-gangsters
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,884
    HMS Mordaunt steaming in in the betting.
    OllyT said:

Nigelb said:

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

Barnesian said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Penny Mordaunt launches her bid to be leader https://twitter.com/pennymordaunt/status/1546049184373121024

A great line

Very very good

Puts Ready for Rishi* in its place

*Sounds like an arch way of asking your partner whether they have lubed up.

My top 3 now Tom, kemi, penny
    I hated everything about that Mordaunt video. It was just awful. The VO (probably Gyles Brandreth) was portentious to the point of being sick making. If you were burying the Queen it might have been suitable but as it is it was old fashioned fuddy duddy pompous nonsense.

The only saving grace was 'PM4PM' which was cute

Thats goodbye Shapps Mordaunt and Hunt....
    There we have it. Roger has spoken.

We can be 100% confident it's an excellent video for the contest.

Well there's little doubt that Casino, who reacted positively, is rather closer to the target market than is Roger.

Roger is deeply embarrassed by this country, and always has been.

It's designed to appeal to people who are proud of it and want to be greater still.
    Is the membership proud of Britain? Every time I pop over to take the temperature on ConHome the overwhelming sense I get is that they believe the country has gone to the dogs. They certainly don't sound very proud of it
    It's like how they care about British institutions and rules...until they get in the way or do something they don't like.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924
    kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Sandpit said:

These drugs gangs seem to be extraordinarily innovative and effective despite massive legal hurdles, they deliver for their customers. Perhaps we should ask them to take over some of our major conglomerates?

Christ, they probably pay more tax that Apple, Amazon, Aphabet and Meta combined as it is.
    Bet they don't pay minimum wage either.
    dixiedean said:

Pat McFadden
    @patmcfaddenmp
    ·
    1h
    It’s only day 4 and Tory leadership candidates have so far pledged £235bn in tax cuts - roughly 1.5 times the annual NHS budget - with no word on how to fund it. If Labour did this we’d be getting slaughtered. “How will you pay for it?” Should be a question for the Tories too.

https://twitter.com/patmcfaddenmp/status/1546071697501159424

He's not wrong, is he?
    Of course he is not and that is why after Mordaunt I would be content with Sunak
    dixiedean said:

Pat McFadden
    @patmcfaddenmp
    ·
    1h
    It’s only day 4 and Tory leadership candidates have so far pledged £235bn in tax cuts - roughly 1.5 times the annual NHS budget - with no word on how to fund it. If Labour did this we’d be getting slaughtered. “How will you pay for it?” Should be a question for the Tories too.

He's not wrong, is he?
    No. Spend spend spend will be all over this contest, though one or two will pretend they are not doing that.
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Sandpit said:

I believe it was Freakonomics book that discussed research on drug gang pay, low ranking individuals pay is actually very poor (when you factor in pay, benefits etc, its basically minimum wage). Its all about making your way up the chain to earn the big bucks, but then you become a target of the plod and rival gangs, so pay up, life expectancy down.

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Sandpit said:

I believe it was Freakonomics book that discussed drug gang pay, low ranking individuals pay is actually very poor.
    They should unionise.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

There was a talk by Lord Dannatt (Chief of the General Staff from 2006 to 2009) on the cruise we have just been on.

His summary of the situation in Ukraine was a rather depressing I'm afraid: Russia will gain the two Donbas regions and the war will enter a 'deep freeze' that could last for many years. No chance in his opinion (as far as I could tell) that Ukraine can push Russia out of the Donbas or Crimea.
    Pulpstar said:

Has Wallace decided not to stand?
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,214

What is wrong with what Roger said, is there really any need for the condescending replies to him.

Are you new here?

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

There was a talk by Lord Dannatt (Chief of the General Staff from 2006 to 2009) on the cruise we have just been on.

His summary of the situation in Ukraine was a rather depressing I'm afraid: Russia will gain the two Donbas regions and the war will enter a 'deep freeze' that could last for many years. No chance in his opinion (as far as I could tell) that Ukraine can push Russia out of the Donbas or Crimea.
    I thought people went on cruises to escape the real world and watch singers, magicians and comics?
    Nigelb said:

Interesting findings.
    I suppose "be aggressive about Brexit" relates to a desire for the candidates to be in denial about how it's going ?

1. Cut tax?

Already in the bag - against Starmer.....

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Seems realistic - why Russia wasted men and materials on other parts is beyond me as an amateur watcher.

Did he mention anything about the south coast? Losing basically all access to the sea seems to be one of the worst outcomes for the Ukrainians.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The smart candidate is busy talking to MPs and signing them up.

Pulpstar said:

Yes, he’s a non-runner.

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

Sandpit said:

I believe it was Freakonomics book that discussed research on drug gang pay, low ranking individuals pay is actually very poor (when you factor in pay, benefits etc, its basically minimum wage). Its all about making your way up the chain to earn the big bucks, but then you become a target of the plod and rival gangs, so pay up, life expectancy down.
    "Defined career path" as HR would say.
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Seems realistic - why Russia wasted men and materials on other parts is beyond me as an amateur watcher.

Did he mention anything about the south coast? Losing basically all access to the sea seems to be one of the worst outcomes for the Ukrainians.
    Land bridge to Crimea is a given for Russia but nothing beyond that as far as I could tell.

He did hope the 'deep freeze' would allow grain exports via the Black Sea.
    This is a good bit of work from WSJ on Ukraine,

Russia Is Using a Secret Network to Steal Ukrainian Grain | WSJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLQiIhrutmA
  • Jonathan said:

Damian McBride
    @DPMcBride

I couldn't tell you the tune to this song. Is it popular?
    I'm guessing you know the tune, just not the name?

This is quite a nice video of it being played by a college orchestra flash mob in a shopping centre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3cpOrB1GW8

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    18m
    With so many candidates now in the race, the pressure to say something batshit crazy to differentiate yourself from the pack is increasing. 1922 need to get rid of the flotsam and jetsam quickly, and then let the serious candidates set out their cases in a measured way.

From listening to the outpourings from the candidates, I think the "Conservatives" are indeed ready for Opposition.
    No solidarity for Irish girl Mordaunt?
    She was born in Devon which makes her English
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Pat McFadden
    @patmcfaddenmp
    ·
    1h

So unfunded Labour pledges good. Unfunded Tory pledges bad.

Just to be clear, McFadden was all for the unfunded economic plans of Corbyn and McDonnell....
    Of course they have.....

Tory donors are privately asking if there is 'any way' to keep Boris Johnson as PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10998895/Tory-donors-privately-asking-way-Boris-Johnson-PM.html
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,185

Pat McFadden
    @patmcfaddenmp
    ·
    1h

Just to be clear, McFadden was all for the unfunded economic plans of Corbyn and McDonnell....
    You may have misread his tweet.

Pulpstar said:

Yes
    edited July 2022
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

It's all slow and incremental, but it should make a difference over time.

As I said yesterday, the limiting factor seems to be the reluctance of western militaries (with notable exceptions like Poland and the Baltic states) to part with any of their current capacity.

And handing over stock which has been partially decommissioned / put into storage creates its own delays.

A possible problem now is going to be ammunition supplies. Currently Ukraine is using about 3,500 155mm shells every day (which isn't a problem). As they get more guns that's likely to increase a lot.

Pat McFadden
    @patmcfaddenmp
    ·
    1h

He seems to be making a point about the hypocrisy of those who attacked Labour's unfunded pledges not yet doing so with those of the Tories. Seems fair to me, regardless of whether he was in favour of unfunded pledges.

Carnyx said:

Yes - spectacular scenery. Weather was a cool and a bit meh but it had been mid-20s the week before apparently. We consoled ourselves with the thought that the fjords look even more moody shrouded in mist with occasional burst of sunshine picking out the snowcapped sides.

So, the scenery was great but Cunard were not really up to scratch overall: Food ok at best, entertainment poor, ship spotlessly clean, service very good.

The ship was (deliberately) only 2/3rds full apparently. It feels like they have a long climb back to normality from covid tbh.
    Thank you!

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Thanks. Hurtigruten?
    We went with Hurtigruten to the Antarctic and they fulfil the role of serving the Fjord communities but are more working ships than cruise ships

We went with Fred Olsen, but then we sailed with them to Oslo and returned from Bergen for our honeymoon in 1964 and have a soft spot for them

However they are smaller ships to the larger cruise lines
    Thanks!

Nigelb said:

Interesting findings.

1. Cut tax?

Already in the bag - against Starmer.....
    Depends who you pick.
    If the members get to be really self indulgent, that might well not be the case.

And even avoiding that I wouldn't be so certain.
    edited July 2022

Of course they have.....

Tory donors are privately asking if there is 'any way' to keep Boris Johnson as PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10998895/Tory-donors-privately-asking-way-Boris-Johnson-PM.html

These donors sound like they are thick as two short planks. Why are they so incapable of understanding either the rules, or the political reality of how bloody idiotic it would look to try to retain a leader who does not have the confidence of MPs? Do they remember Corbyn? Money certainly doesn't buy sense, even if it buys you a politician and a knighthood.

I'm going with that they are fools, given their reasoning is right of of the Boris playbook, ascribing his ousiting to the BBC, Remainers and the 'blob', despite it being MPs, including most being Leavers.

There is a feeling that we have lost this extraordinary politician. That he [Johnson] has been got at by the blob, Remainers and BBC

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I thought people went on cruises to escape the real world and watch singers, magicians and comics?
    We have been on many cruises from the Artic to the Antarctic and only went to explore the countries and people and in Antarctica's case the albatross, penguin, whale and icebergs

We can honestly say in all our cruises we not once went to the theatre for entertainment, but we did for lectures
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Rishi Sunak got grief for registering his website a couple of days early. Whois shows Penny Mordaunt's dates from 2019, so she must have planned to run against Boris.

$ whois pm4pm.com |grep Creation
       Creation Date: 2019-05-24T08:02:03Z

She was widely thought to be considering a bid in 2019: https://news.sky.com/story/penny-mordaunt-drops-conservative-leadership-hint-in-attack-on-usual-tired-routine-11731161

She endorsed Hunt in the end.

Of course they have.....

The Mail seems to be having a mini breakdown.
    "Got at by Remainers, the blob and the BBC."
    Comments are batshit. All best rated pro-Boris.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    kle4 said:

Pat McFadden
    @patmcfaddenmp
    ·
    1h

He seems to be making a point about the hypocrisy of those who attacked Labour's unfunded pledges not yet doing so with those of the Tories. Seems fair to me, regardless of whether he was in favour of unfunded pledges.
    But he never once sought to answer the questions about Labour's unfunded plans.

Plus he is artificially adding up plans from multiple candidates which isn't how these things work and he well knows.

It is posturing like this from any party that makes me give up on politics.

Is there anyone left who will ask an honest question or give an honest answer?
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,565
    edited July 2022
    Nigelb said:

Interesting findings.

1. Cut tax?

It is not an unexpected list but a couple are worrying regarding the mentality of the Tory membership namely:

2) What do you actually want? Complete isolated from Jonny Foreigner.

4) That should be number 99 on the list not 4 and to what end? Looks paranoid. I wonder how many have actually come across a trans woman.

kle4 said:

Pat McFadden
    @patmcfaddenmp
    ·
    1h

But he never once sought to answer the questions about Labour's unfunded plans.

Plus he is artificially adding up plans from multiple candidates which isn't how these things work and he well knows.

It is posturing like this from any party that makes me give up on politics.

Is there anyone left who will ask an honest question or give an honest answer?
    He's posturing a bit, sure, but it isn't about him. Don't add up the plans from multiple candidates and it is still the case they are going to be splashing around cash in order to win, with very little thought as to the consequences - until days ago most of them were officially on board with other plans, so are claiming to have come up with these ideas since then, ie not much thought.

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Just as well he's former COGS, then.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Velkommen tilbake!
  • (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    18m

No solidarity for Irish girl Mordaunt?
    She was born in Devon which makes her English
    Not necessarily. Boris Johnson isn't American. Things like identity are down to the individual. Birthplace is only one of many possible factors.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

They thought they could overwhelm the whole country. A quick surrender would have avoided a lot of blood. I don't know why he'd be so certain in them taking the rest of the Donbass. They've nudged forward in Lukansk but there is a lot of Dontesk still to take.

A lot depends on how the public behind the lines feel. If most Ukrainians have had the sense to get out it may be left to ethnic Russians to rebel. I find it hard to believe they want to be forcibly inserted to Putin's meat grinder but there you go.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    We have enough candidates to do justice to a political style "Apprentice" show where each week the candidates do a bunch of tasks allegedly related to the business of governing as Prime Minister.

So one day they do a budget, one day they deal with a war situation in a foreign country, one day they deal with an internal constitutional crisis, etc. and at the end they are interviewed by a hostile panel including the LOTO, Paxman and the Queen and they hand in their business proposal...I mean, manifesto.

Of course, they would be relentlessly portrayed as incompetent buffoons, but that would probably not be too far off the mark.

I'd watch it, anyway.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,884
    Feels like being on holiday in Spain today
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited July 2022

What is wrong with what Roger said, is there really any need for the condescending replies to him.

Are you new here?
    Roger tried to say Penny’s brilliant video is rubbish, because he is a advert making expert.

I am happy to lay into him now too.

As I posted in the last thread, Penny Mourdant is the new David Cameron, dragging the Tory Party back to the centre and electability. That is a David Cameron era Big Society campaign video. What she is saying is, you may not agree with all of my policies but you don’t need to, you trust me and will follow me.

That in a nutshell is what leadership is. To say, my pitch in this election is not to follow you, but you follow me. All the rest of them have it utterly wrong, pandering to the party on tax cuts, culture war and Net Zero.

Roger has the freedom to give it a low mark, but unfortunately we can now prove Roger wrong, by contrasting this video with Suella’s - they are videos of two most different pitches from two most different planets, Brsvermans is 100% planet unelectable gibberish in contrast with Penny’s video and platform.

Now you have given Penny lowest mark ever Roger, where are you going with Bravermans?
    dixiedean said:

Of course they have.....

If it wasn’t for the fact my wife does their digital puzzles every day I would cancel our subscription

They are worse than the express and that is saying something
    Jonathan said:

The smart candidate is busy talking to MPs and signing them up.

She may be..but is she?

I'm loving the about-turns of the leading anti-wokers on here:

Anti-wokers: Penny, you're an appealing candidate in many ways, but we can't vote for you because you're too woke.

Penny: No, I'm not woke at all. Honestly. Take my word for it.

Anti-wokers: Really? That's great, we're backing you then.

But long may it continue!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,473
    Jonathan said:

That's uncanny. Shows Mordaunt has a sense of humour!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,157
    Nigelb said:

Interesting - it has a fire and forget option, so the main radars don’t have to remain on after launch.

There have also been reports that it can be used with non-dedicated sensors - that a missile can be launched at a target provided by an external system. The missile then flies to the target area, before switching on its own radar. Which would make a nasty threat to an opponent.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,274
    dixiedean said:

Of course they have.....

Boris was actually the Remainers' secret weapon - all the while he was cocking up Brexit disillusionment with it could only spiral, making the Remainers look sagacious having predicted it would be crap and possibly paving the way to re-entry at some future point. If Boris's successor makes just a slightly better fist of it that might provide Leavers' with a crumb of vindication. That cannot be allowed.

Are you new here?
    Roger tried to say Penny’s brilliant video is rubbish, because he is a advert making expert.

As I posted in the last thread, Penny Mourdant is the new David Cameron, dragging the Tory Party back to the centre and electability. That is a David Cameron era Big Society campaign video. What she is saying is, you may not agree with all of my policies but you don’t need to, you trust me and will follow me.

That in a nutshell is what leadership is. To say, my pitch in this election is not to follow you, but you follow me. All the rest of them have it utterly wrong, pandering to the party on tax cuts, culture war and Net Zero.

Roger has the freedom to give it a low mark, but unfortunately we can now prove Roger wrong, by contrasting this video with Suella’s - they are videos of two most different pitches from two most different planets, Brsvermans is 100% planet unelectable gibberish in contrast with Penny’s video and platform.

Now you have given Penny lowest mark ever Roger, where are you going with Bravermans?
    When I FaceTime my Dad later I am going to tell him he’s got it wrong backing Rishi, he needs to back Mourdant.

I won’t waste my time trying to talk my mum out of voting for Truss.

• FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    I was wondering how many times TSE has made the "more fucked than a stepmom joke".

Part 1

Boris Johnson = Stepmom and stepsister on Pornhub.
    Chelsea = Stepmom on pornhub.
    Boris = Stepmom on a niche website Tories with Boris Johnson as leader the next election = Stepmom on a niche website.
    Boris Johnson = Stepmom on a niche website.
    Australia = Stepmom Jos Buttler = Stepson
    We're more fucked than a stepmom on pornhub.
    He’s in stepmom territory. He’s also a Brexiteer which is why he loses and Hunt holds on easily.
    I officially declare Boris Johnson more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub whatever the result tonight.
    In ordinary times Raab should be a like a stepmom on Pornhub.
    Wales, more f*cked than a stepmom on Pornhub.
    Final thought for the night, don't have nightmares. Boris Johnson = Stepmom on Pornhub.
    Yup, you're like a stepmom on a niche website. Order in plenty of hot broth.
    Boeing are going to be more fecked than a stepmom on pornhub aren't they?
    Right now Manchester United are getting more fecked than a stepmom on pornhub.
    If you've missed the match tonight then here's a summary. Ukraine = Stepmom on pornhub England = Stepson on pornhub
    It took all my self restraint to use doomed in the headline than 'more fucked than a stepmom on pornhub'.
    We're more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1303450343452422151
    If this Opinium poll turns out be accurate then Labour are more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub.
    My predictions hold true. 1) He's more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub. 2) He's been castrated tonight rather than euthanised, but the visit to vet to put him down is coming soon
    Not subtle enough, it's more 'Trump's victory means America, if not the world, is more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub.'
    Mrs Sunak announces she will pay UK taxes on her overseas income. Still think Rishi is more fucked than a stepmom on pornhub over his green card.
    Congratulations. You do realise your sleep patterns for the foreseeable future are like a stepmom on pornhub, totally fucked.
    There are stepmoms on Pornhub less fucked than Boris Johnson right now. Minister: “We think some of the whips have flipped”. https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1483514495150526475
    What a dump and even more scarily this is the place the government is hoping that comes up with a vaccine? We’re more fecked than a Stepmom on pornhub.
    Farooq said:

I was wondering how many times TSE has made the "more fucked than a stepmom joke".

Part 1

Boris = Stepmom on a niche website Tories with Boris Johnson as leader the next election = Stepmom on a niche website.
    He’s in stepmom territory. He’s also a Brexiteer which is why he loses and Hunt holds on easily.
    I officially declare Boris Johnson more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub whatever the result tonight.
    Final thought for the night, don't have nightmares. Boris Johnson = Stepmom on Pornhub.
    If you've missed the match tonight then here's a summary. Ukraine = Stepmom on pornhub England = Stepson on pornhub
    It took all my self restraint to use doomed in the headline than 'more fucked than a stepmom on pornhub'.
    We're more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1303450343452422151
    If this Opinium poll turns out be accurate then Labour are more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub.
    My predictions hold true. 1) He's more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub. 2) He's been castrated tonight rather than euthanised, but the visit to vet to put him down is coming soon
    Not subtle enough, it's more 'Trump's victory means America, if not the world, is more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub.'
    Mrs Sunak announces she will pay UK taxes on her overseas income. Still think Rishi is more fucked than a stepmom on pornhub over his green card.
    Congratulations. You do realise your sleep patterns for the foreseeable future are like a stepmom on pornhub, totally fucked.
    There are stepmoms on Pornhub less fucked than Boris Johnson right now. Minister: “We think some of the whips have flipped”. https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1483514495150526475
    What a dump and even more scarily this is the place the government is hoping that comes up with a vaccine? We’re more fecked than a Stepmom on pornhub.

Part 2:

Personally I think Trump is now more fecked than a stepmom on pornhub. https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1238454333370445826?s=21
    Barcelona are more fecked than a stepmom on you know where. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/29/real-madrid-can-spend-eight-times-as-much-as-barcelona
    I said at the start of this pandemic, absent a vaccine, to survive this we're relying on the common sense of others. So in reality, we're more fucked than a stepmom on pornhub.
    It flashed up on my work server as a serious incident (Red 8) with the potential for massive financial security risk for users and the company. At work, Red 8 is also known as the stepmom, that's how bad it is.
    That's Zahawi more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub. Clear lay on the betting markets Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi’s tax affairs under investigation by HMRC Exclusive: Revelation comes as Mr Zahawi launches bid to succeed Boris Johnson as prime minister…
    Like a stepmom on pornhub. Ditto New Zealand. Even more shocking when vaccines have been available since the end of last year. Zero Covidians are the worst, well ok not as bad as antivaxxers but not far off.
    There was a really coarse individual on PB who used the phrase 'X is going to get pounded like a dockside hooker.' Fortunately he classed up and now uses the phrase 'X is more fucked than a stepmom on pornhub.'
    The only saving grace for Starmer is that the last 14 months the polls have been largely driven by the pandemic. If this is the norm for the post pandemic phase then he's like a stepmom on Pornhub. The only question is does the PLP have the desire to remove him?
    This is what my conference call was about. We are more f*cked than a stepmom on Pornhub when our 18 month clearing exemption ends and it isn't permanently renewed. But those of us in the financial services sector we rank lower than fish.
    The Union is more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub.
    With Broad ruled out of the series and Anderson with an injury set to rule him out tomorrow we may end up being more f*cked than a Stepmom on Pornhub.
    Ouch, he's like a stepmom on pornhub. ConHome’s Cabinet League Table. Johnson’s rating falls by almost 30 points into the bottom third This is much the same panel that gave Boris Johnson a 93 per cent approval rating after the last general election… …And that gave him a minus ten point negative rating last October, when…
    And you're more fecked than a stepmom on pornhub if the Americans get involved with the one sided extradition treaty.
    Farooq said:

Part 1

Bored today?
    Farooq said:

(snip)

Evidently there are quite a number of stepmoms, then ?
    edited July 2022

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

We have been on many cruises from the Artic to the Antarctic and only went to explore the countries and people and in Antarctica's case the albatross, penguin, whale and icebergs

We can honestly say in all our cruises we not once went to the theatre for entertainment, but we did for lectures
    Well obvious the sight seeing, but I genuinely didn't realise they put on serious lectures talking about war and alike. Seems a bit heavy for a holiday.
    edited July 2022
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting findings.

1. Cut tax?

It is not an unexpected list but a couple are worrying regarding the mentality of the Tory membership namely:

2) What do you actually want? Complete isolated from Jonny Foreigner.
    Yes, I expect that is exactly what they want
    kjh said:

4) That should be number 99 on the list not 4 and to what end? Looks paranoid. I wonder how many have actually come across a trans woman.

I wonder how many have unknowingly met a trans woman? I assume that trans men are OK since no one ever seems to go after them?

Surely Hunt was never popular with the electorate and Esther McVey was especially unpopular? She does have great hair though...
    Lizzy’s hair is better.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Part 1

Part 2:

Personally I think Trump is now more fecked than a stepmom on pornhub. https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1238454333370445826?s=21
    Barcelona are more fecked than a stepmom on you know where. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/29/real-madrid-can-spend-eight-times-as-much-as-barcelona
    I said at the start of this pandemic, absent a vaccine, to survive this we're relying on the common sense of others. So in reality, we're more fucked than a stepmom on pornhub.
    It flashed up on my work server as a serious incident (Red 8) with the potential for massive financial security risk for users and the company. At work, Red 8 is also known as the stepmom, that's how bad it is.
    That's Zahawi more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub. Clear lay on the betting markets Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi’s tax affairs under investigation by HMRC Exclusive: Revelation comes as Mr Zahawi launches bid to succeed Boris Johnson as prime minister…
    Like a stepmom on pornhub. Ditto New Zealand. Even more shocking when vaccines have been available since the end of last year. Zero Covidians are the worst, well ok not as bad as antivaxxers but not far off.
    There was a really coarse individual on PB who used the phrase 'X is going to get pounded like a dockside hooker.' Fortunately he classed up and now uses the phrase 'X is more fucked than a stepmom on pornhub.'
    The only saving grace for Starmer is that the last 14 months the polls have been largely driven by the pandemic. If this is the norm for the post pandemic phase then he's like a stepmom on Pornhub. The only question is does the PLP have the desire to remove him?
    This is what my conference call was about. We are more f*cked than a stepmom on Pornhub when our 18 month clearing exemption ends and it isn't permanently renewed. But those of us in the financial services sector we rank lower than fish.
    With Broad ruled out of the series and Anderson with an injury set to rule him out tomorrow we may end up being more f*cked than a Stepmom on Pornhub.
    Ouch, he's like a stepmom on pornhub. ConHome’s Cabinet League Table. Johnson’s rating falls by almost 30 points into the bottom third This is much the same panel that gave Boris Johnson a 93 per cent approval rating after the last general election… …And that gave him a minus ten point negative rating last October, when…
    And you're more fecked than a stepmom on pornhub if the Americans get involved with the one sided extradition treaty.
    Maybe it's his catchphrase? 👍

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Part 1

Part 2:

Maybe it's his catchphrase? 👍
    It seems that way
    edited July 2022
    Dishy Rishi is going to be in a bit of a bind over his NI++ increase versus the other candidates. He can't really about face and blame it on PM Peppa Pig can he?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,900

Are you new here?

When I FaceTime my Dad later I am going to tell him he’s got it wrong backing Rishi, he needs to back Mourdant.

I won’t waste my time trying to talk my mum out of voting for Truss.

Re the latter choice, Pa Woolie and I are hoping if we hiss hard enough it will blow Truss out of both the leadership race and Norfolk.
    He's officially annoyed Wallace didnt stand. I'm beginning to think he was secretly hoping for an in uniform Wallace military coup arrangement.
This discussion has been closed.