Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Celts are revolting – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2022 in General
The Celts are revolting – politicalbetting.com

YouGov's @PME_Politics has identified a new group of seats where the Tories should be worried: the "Conservative Celtic Fringe". These are 41 South West seats that have returned a Tory MP since 2015 and voted Leave in 2016https://t.co/Dl7wCkjRd4 pic.twitter.com/AJIbyN3GRR

Read the full story here

Comments

• wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,832
    edited June 2022
    Reform UK 6%
    There's your first target for defending these, blues. Make sure you scoop them up, esp as they wont be standing everywhere without drastic cash input.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,832
    edited June 2022
    Devon East may not 'go indy' as Claire Wright seems unsure of standing again and didnt stand for county councils in 2021. She endorsed the LDs in Tiverton.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    And so are you, @TSE
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited June 2022

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Anyone else consider it very odd that we haven’t had a single Scottish opinion poll since Sturgeon’s 2023 independence referendum announcement?

The last Holyrood poll was 18-23 May (S47 L23 C18) and the last Westminster poll was 23-29 May (S44 L23 C19).

The obvious explanation is that the findings are too worrying for the Unionist media to publish.

Looking at the following (assuming it is complete), then month-long gaps are not uncommon. It seems there are often gluts of Scottish opinion polls, and long dearths:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Scottish_Parliament_election
    Absolutely, but a referendum announcement usually prompts a flurry of polls. We have… none. Which looks suspicious.
    They know it is just more bluff to keep kicking it down the road . She is running out of road, all the stolen money , perjury case et c can only be held up for so long. Many of these crooks will get their day in court.
    Sorry Malc, I am genuinely losing the plot. You are pro-independence but anti-Sturgeon, have I got that right?
    Yes indeed, she is all talk and no action and crooked into the bargain. She is wrecking scotland, her and her bunch of self id creeps and gravy trainers. They have no principles.
    Ok, interesting.

Presumably, if and when Scotland became independent, the SNP would fragment anyway. I can't see a one-party state happening.
    The best , indeed only, way to get rid of the SNP is independence. I’ll be offski as soon as the ink is dry.
    You wouldn't. You ceased to be a Scot Nat campaigner here a long time ago, because you began to enjoy commenting and reading for their own sakes. It's the same in all cases, regardless of whatever 'good fight' you came here to fight. You should just embrace it.
    Could be wrong, but I think most Nat posters would likely leave PB following independence. Why would you care about what England was up to following independence?
    For the same reason that well-educated English people pay attention to current affairs in the whole planet. It is in our interests to be well-informed about English affairs, and if you manage to filter out the guff, PB has the full spectrum.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-uk-tough-brexit-johnson-scholz-merkel/

Let's face it at current levels of popularity and competence the Tories are in trouble pretty much everywhere you look. The leadership, competence and course of action all need to be radically different and better by 2024 or its a re-enactment of Cannae without the prisoners.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited June 2022
    We already had this a couple of days ago. I done the bangs in the fringe joke.

I have two questions. Sure it shows big Tory drop, but not much Lib Dem rise, does this suggest fireworks?

Secondly is it right to call this part of the world Celtic? Tiverton and Horniton have ton on end which is Saxon.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Why is it ok to be derogatory about us Celts? Substitute that word with many other ethnic identifiers and you’d be facing prosecution.

For a “lawyer” to be doing so is particularly repugnant.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    DavidL said:

And so are you, @TSE

Clickbait headlines always work.

Now back to the cricket.

• eekeek Posts: 24,797

Reform UK 6%
    There's your first target for defending these, blues. Make sure you scoop them up, esp as they wont be standing everywhere without drastic cash input.

The only way to scoop up the right wing looney contingent is to be both right wing and potentially looney. You could put off a lot of centralist voters by adopting more right wing policies.

Personally I would be comparing today's figures not with the 2019 election but the 2017 one. That will tell you where the real Tory votes are turning towards - it's not Reform because the only reason the Tories got those votes in 2019 was because Reform didn't stand so Reform voters had a choice of Bozo or not voting.

Why is it ok to be derogatory about us Celts? Substitute that word with many other ethnic identifiers and you’d be facing prosecution.

It’s a play on words. The Celts are revolting against Boris Johnson.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

Leon occasionally identifies as a Celt so if we’ve got to take one for the team so he get’s it up him, so be it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

DavidL said:

And so are you, @TSE

Clickbait headlines always work.

Now back to the cricket.

You’re at Headingley?

It’s that bloody partnership again, Blundell and Mitchell.
    DavidL said:

I absolutely love test cricket but I am seriously bored of watching Blundell and Mitchell bat in this series. Why can't they throw their wickets away in a daring fashion like England do?

Just not test cricket is it 😕

😕 not line lifted from a carry on then
    DavidL said:

Sigh, as PG Woodhouse said: " "It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine."

There is no need to live up to the stereotype all the time Stuart, especially when you don't even live here.
    Alba means sunshine.

You are my Alba,
    my only Alba…
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571

They don’t owe him to the Tories any kind of fealty, so it’s hardly a revolt.

And there are more than enough Tory MPs who are indeed repulsive, but an insufficient number who are revolting.
    Bloody hell, that’s two reviews on this partnership.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,045
    Nigelb said:

They don’t owe him to the Tories any kind of fealty, so it’s hardly a revolt.

And there are more than enough Tory MPs who are indeed repulsive, but an insufficient number who are revolting.
    Indeed. Many of those who are repulsive are not revolting, and some of those revolting are not repulsive.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    JRM's seat at risk? If the next general election night plays out like that I will have to pace myself, that is one count I would want to be sober enough to remember on Friday morning.
    edited June 2022

INFAMY, INFAMY, THEY’VE ALL GOT IN FOR MAY

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/09/16/infamy-infamy-theyve-all-got-in-for-may/
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Wicket. At last!

DavidL said:

Sigh, as PG Woodhouse said: " "It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine."

There is no need to live up to the stereotype all the time Stuart, especially when you don't even live here.
    Alba means sunshine.

You are my Alba,
    my only Alba…
    No, alba means white or bright.

Scots don't talk about sunshine much, we don't often see it.
    Finally got him!

INFAMY, INFAMY, THEY’VE ALL GOT IN FOR MAY

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/09/16/infamy-infamy-theyve-all-got-in-for-may/
    🤣.
    Sandpit said:

It has been the key partnership in every innings. But its over now, thank goodness. England need a clatter of wickets if they are going to be able to chase this.
    DavidL said:

Wodehouse.
    You'll get your honorary certificate of Englishness confiscated if you're not careful.
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

It has been the key partnership in every innings. But its over now, thank goodness. England need a clatter of wickets if they are going to be able to chase this.
    They don’t want to chase much more than 300, so they need to finish this innings off quickly.

(Thinks about England’s 200 7th wicket partnership in the first innings!)
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Afternoon all :)

A brief interlude between household duties - it's the same question we're asking elsewhere. Assuming the Conservative vote share is down a third nationally (putting the party on or about 30%), the diaspora of its former voters is off in all directions and the applied efficiency of that vote is only going to be maximised if it concentrates around one candidate able to defeat an incumbent Conservative MP.

Even then, this notion the south west was an LD "stronghold" needs a little challenging. The party never won Tiverton & Honiton until last Thursday (close in 1997) - much of rural Devon remained Conservative in 1997 and let's forget Labour won Camborne & Falmouth before the LDs.

The area still returns a 38% Conservative share suggesting more tremor than earthquake and the Conservatives still hold 26-30 of the 41 seats so it's hardly being driven back to the core albeit if reflected nationally it would almost certainly mean a heavy defeat for the party and the loss of in excess of 100 seats.

All it will do is amplify the concerns of more backbenchers as to whether Boris Johnson is their meal ticket or their poisoned chalice.

As an aside, of the now 9 Conservative-held constituencies in Devon, Labour are second in three, the LDs second in five and there's Claire Wright in East Devon. There are of course those who think there is already an informal pact between anti-Conservative parties - no, there's an informal pact among anti-Conservative voters.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869

JRM's seat at risk? If the next general election night plays out like that I will have to pace myself, that is one count I would want to be sober enough to remember on Friday morning.

Were you up for JRM?
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    First Labour candidate selection to replace retiring MPs took place today

Stretford and Urmston CLP selected Andrew Western. He is the Trafford council leader. Was supported by retiring MP Kate Green. In 2017 and 2019 he stood in Altrincham and Sale West.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Alba means sunshine.

You are my Alba,
    my only Alba…

Alba eyes, burning like fire
    Alba eyes, how can you close and fail?

DavidL said:

Wodehouse.
    You'll get your honorary certificate of Englishness confiscated if you're not careful.
    Can I blame my phone? Probably not. And I was actually born in England as my dad was serving there (occupying force of some kind, not sure of the details).
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

They don’t want to chase much more than 300, so they need to finish this innings off quickly.

(Thinks about England’s 200 7th wicket partnership in the first innings!)
    We really need some runs from the top 3, and for them to tire Boult out too.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Alba means sunshine.

You are my Alba,
    my only Alba…

Alba eyes, burning like fire
    Alba eyes, how can you close and fail?
    Well, at least that one is a rabbit song.

Were you up for JRM?
    Of course! I was homeworking 😆
    Obviously a slip of the tongue from someone who though AH had the right idea when setting up the Jugend.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1540852015693037568?s=20&t=aaBhEX_Ig86iABDMuhD_DA
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Wodehouse.
    … I was actually born in England as my dad was serving there (occupying force of some kind, not sure of the details).
    The Fifteen, or the Forty Five ?
    Free tickets tomorrow, for anyone who can WFH in the Headingley stands.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    O/T with apologies but PB is the place most likely to host a random expert on insect bites!

I was bitten a couple of nights ago as I was falling asleep - felt it at the time, almost like a bee or wasp sting without the dull ache afterwards. Couldn’t see the culprit by the time I had light.

What I now have is about 8 or ten puncture wounds that are like small cuts in an almost circular area the size of a two pence piece. No swelling just scabbing around the punctures.

Cannot find anything similar online so was intrigued and thought someone here might have had similar and know what it was. Thanks and apologies!
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,140
    edited June 2022
    "Celtic fringe" - damn stupid name, but then (if it is their name) the Tories were always a millennium or more behind the times. Even for Scotland it's not accurate. And using it in a new meaning is plain confusing.
    Those celebrating the abortion decision are apparently not yet fully satisfied.

https://twitter.com/lyzl/status/1540495065386303488
    This a video of a truck running down two peaceful protesters at a pro-abortion march in Cedar Rapids, Iowa…
    … A couple of other facts from this event:
    -Protestors were ending the protest and walking in the crosswalk
    -The truck had the red light
    -The truck drove around other cars in order to hit protestors
    -The driver was screaming and a woman was in the car with him begging him to stop
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    If the rural SW goes for a burton the Cons are in trouble. "I am a Tory voter. I votes it all of the time." That's been the way since 2015. They can't afford that support to drift away. Ooarr oooarray.
    boulay said:

O/T with apologies but PB is the place most likely to host a random expert on insect bites!

I was bitten a couple of nights ago as I was falling asleep - felt it at the time, almost like a bee or wasp sting without the dull ache afterwards. Couldn’t see the culprit by the time I had light.

What I now have is about 8 or ten puncture wounds that are like small cuts in an almost circular area the size of a two pence piece. No swelling just scabbing around the punctures.

Cannot find anything similar online so was intrigued and thought someone here might have had similar and know what it was. Thanks and apologies!

Spider?

Wasps like to hide in the bed. They fly through the window, say what’s all this then. Oh, that looks cosy
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,240
    Montenegro, so far, is verging on the Actually Quite Tolerable

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    boulay said:

Have you checked your bedding & nightwear? Might be still there.
    Roe’s gone. Now antiabortion lawmakers want more.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/25/roe-antiabortion-lawmakers-restrictions-state-legislatures/
    On the heels of their greatest victory, antiabortion activists are eager to capitalize on their momentum by enshrining constitutional abortion bans, pushing Congress to pass a national prohibition, blocking abortion pills, and limiting people’s ability to get abortions across state lines.

At the National Association of Christian Lawmakers conference in Branson, Mo., on Friday several dozen state legislators from across the country brainstormed ideas — all in agreement that their wildly successful movement would not end with Roe v. Wade.…

boulay said:

Spider?

Wasps like to hide in the bed. They fly through the window, say what’s all this then. Oh, that looks cosy
    Can't be a tick as it wouldn't be that quick or sharp nor can it run away (sometimes you unwittingly carry one to bed with you - have found one walking across my tummy in the middle of the night, but then I was on Rum at the time).

I wondered about a bedbug but I've been bitten by one (in a zoology lesson) and it was itchy. Though it varies.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bedbugs/
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Rumours are circulating that the PM offered steel tariffs to certain MPs in the hours leading up to the no confidence vote earlier this month to ensure his survival. This angers other MPs who see a dodgy deal. https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-a-row-over-steel-blow-up-the-tory-party-
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

boulay said:

Spider?

Have had lots of spider bites in past but this is different as lots of random individual punctures in a set area rather than pairs of punctures. Very weird

I'd think if one was a Labour supporter that the most worrying thing is how even their moderately talented media performers can get knocked off balance by topics upon which shouldn't be difficult to have a consistent and principled position. I wonder if decades of triangulation have watered down the ability to have an internal conversation about what they actually believe in?

boulay said:

On further reflection, could it be ladybird? Not many candidates apart from a wasp (if you don't react to them)?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/insect-bites-and-stings/symptoms/
    Carnyx said:

"Celtic fringe" - damn stupid name, but then (if it is their name) the Tories were always a millennium or more behind the times. Even for Scotland it's not accurate. And using it in a new meaning is plain confusing.

There's only wan Celtic fringe!

Carnyx said:

Whohe?
    Thinking of a coffee table book.

GOOD PLACES TO WATCH CRICKET

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Whohe?
    It's Only An Excuse's impersonation of Frank McAvennie, Celtic striker and ladies' man.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Scott_xP said:

"There really is no such thing as a Red Wall voter."
    Well. Hallelujah.
    They're catching on.
    DougSeal said:

Rich coming from the biggest and most offensive blood and soil Anglophobe on this board. Let’s take a look at how common TSE’s play on words is /

“The British are Revolting” - Horrible Histories

https://www.heyuguys.com/horrible-histories-the-movie-rotten-romans-trailer/

“The French are Revolting” - Unherd

https://unherd.com/2021/09/why-the-french-love-fighting/

“The Germans are Revolting” - Catholic News

https://catholicnewslive.com/story/644457

“The Gays are Revolting” - Apple Podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-gays-are-revolting/id1410548625

And it goes on. Yet you are the most oppressed person on Earth, managing to take offence as a Scot in Sweden about a blog post referring to Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. Must have struck to your core.
    Which part of England is it that you reside in again, taking copious amounts of offence it would appear?
    Free entry at Headingley tomorrow.
    England at risk of losing this here
    Yay!
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Nigelb said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/25/roe-antiabortion-lawmakers-restrictions-state-legislatures/
    On the heels of their greatest victory, antiabortion activists are eager to capitalize on their momentum by enshrining constitutional abortion bans, pushing Congress to pass a national prohibition, blocking abortion pills, and limiting people’s ability to get abortions across state lines.

At the National Association of Christian Lawmakers conference in Branson, Mo., on Friday several dozen state legislators from across the country brainstormed ideas — all in agreement that their wildly successful movement would not end with Roe v. Wade.…

Won't happen. Would almost certainly get knocked down on constitutional grounds. Plus, while many on the GOP don't want abortion in their states, they realise these sorts of measures would backfire quickly.

Note the several dozen state legislators - out of.........?
  • RichardrRichardr Posts: 80
    Scott_xP said:

Rumours are circulating that the PM offered steel tariffs to certain MPs in the hours leading up to the no confidence vote earlier this month to ensure his survival. This angers other MPs who see a dodgy deal. https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-a-row-over-steel-blow-up-the-tory-party-

and presumably, especially at at a time of inflation, raising the cost of several industries that use steel as an important input - from car manufacturing (and most other manufacturing), and construction, as examples, is less important than retaining support of a few MPs.

I'd think if one was a Labour supporter that the most worrying thing is how even their moderately talented media performers can get knocked off balance by topics upon which shouldn't be difficult to have a consistent and principled position. I wonder if decades of triangulation have watered down the ability to have an internal conversation about what they actually believe in?

Imo Lucy fisher of Times Radio is superb. Have her on my team.
    Leon said:

Yay!

We've sort of become rather blase about what a big target 297 is mind.
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Yay!

We've sort of become rather blase about what a big target 297 is mind.
    Yes. Normally NZ would be clear favourites here

What a cracking test series. Maybe the format isn’t finished. If teams can consistently unify 20-20 aggression with the prolonged theatre of classic tests then yay
    Glasto next year, walk on by Zelenskyy?

’5 more years’

Tea in the cricket, but the final shootout at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=NC6fQ8EkASE

DougSeal said:

Rich coming from the biggest and most offensive blood and soil Anglophobe on this board. Let’s take a look at how common TSE’s play on words is /

And it goes on. Yet you are the most oppressed person on Earth, managing to take offence as a Scot in Sweden about a blog post referring to Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. Must have struck to your core.
    Which part of England is it that you reside in again, taking copious amounts of offence it would appear?
    Tunbridge Wells?
    edited June 2022
    Richardr said:

Scott_xP said:

and presumably, especially at at a time of inflation, raising the cost of several industries that use steel as an important input - from car manufacturing (and most other manufacturing), and construction, as examples, is less important than retaining support of a few MPs.
    It does seem a great headline policy, putting Britain First, 👍🏻

but with more inherent vice than TSE’s pornhub history when you click the button and look at the detail. 🫦 🍆

Firstly, we are breaking international law, the ministerial code say you must adhere to.
    Secondly screws emerging economies likely prompting retaliation and trade war. “No one wants a trade war” Boris will say. Then why did you fire the first shot?
    Thirdly, it screws British business relying on steel imports on price their business model is based on.
    Fourth! It makes a mockery of what I posted in previous thread, about Boris takes this rubbish with him, here he saddles the next leader with policy which only exists because of operation save big dog, or else it wouldn’t be happening as well as lots of crap wouldn’t be happening.

A government only existing to save the boss is not a government at all.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742

So the Tories might lose their Corn Wall seats?

Would be ironic given the b’stard party is yellow right through.
    edited June 2022

Richardr said:

Scott_xP said:

but with more inherent vice than TSE’s pornhub history when you click the button and look at the detail. 🫦 🍆

Firstly, we are breaking international law, the ministerial code say you must adhere to.
    Secondly screws emerging economies likely prompting retaliation and trade war. “No one wants a trade war” Boris will say. Then why did you fire the first shot?
    Thirdly, it screws British business relying on steel imports on price their business model is based on.
    Fourth! It makes a mockery of what I posted in previous thread, about Boris takes this rubbish with him, here he saddles the next leader with policy which only exists because of operation save big dog, or else it wouldn’t be happening as well as lots of crap wouldn’t be happening.
    I wonder if the Cumbrian metallurgical coal mine is linked? Not much, or at least rather less, point in crowing about it if you remove steel tariffs in the same week.
    Bizarrely PM did NOT raise small boats in talks with Macron. Not sure that's going to land well at home.

Also French say Boris showed "beacoup d'enthousiasme" for Macron's 2 speed EU plan that could see UK re-engage with bloc.

No10 failed to even mention it had been discussed.

Nor did PM raise NIP.

Clear attempt to avoid a dust up like last year's G7... but something of a missed opportunity.

For months HMG have privately been saying relations will get easier once Macron re-elected.

But abject surrender today to Paris on big issues other than UKR.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1541071746085933057

This is Harry "Tory Bear" Cole. If even he is unhappy with the Big Dog there may be trouble ahead...

Richardr said:

Scott_xP said:

A government only existing to save the boss is not a government at all.
    PS What is the aubergine picture for??
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085
    Richardr said:

Scott_xP said:

It's an oldie, but it's a goodie, and it's funny 'cos it's true;

People in the steel industries can't vote against Johnson before the next election.

Conservative backbenchers can vote against him tomorrow.

Of course Johnson is going to promise dumb stuff to Conservative MPs. The bigger question is why are people who demand dumb stuff getting to be Conservative MPs.

Richardr said:

Scott_xP said:

It's an oldie, but it's a goodie, and it's funny 'cos it's true;

People in the steel industries can't vote against Johnson before the next election.

Conservative backbenchers can vote against him tomorrow.

Of course Johnson is going to promise dumb stuff to Conservative MPs. The bigger question is why are people who demand dumb stuff getting to be Conservative MPs.
    *logic failure*

Also possible that being a Con MP rots the brain and/or backbone (moral).

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,045
    https://unherd.com/2022/06/our-russia-strategy-has-backfired/

Important reading on Ukraine.

I am also reading recently (and I don't have sources or even know that this is a fact), that one of the reasons that Russia is gaining ground is that they have massive missile stockpiles and that their production speed is such that they can carry this on indefinitely. The West doesn't have huge stockpiles, and the production process is a lot slower and more expensive - like years. This would make sense - it's not shortage of sophisticated weaponry to send; it's physically not having the ammo.

The lessons I draw are these:

*Britain needs to produce sensibly priced missiles, in vastly higher quantities and at greater speeds, if we're to be equipped for future conflicts - this type of reform will make our future far more secure than 'dealing with Putin', which it seems has never been on the cards anyway.
    *We also need an even more diverse and robust energy supply, so we're not affected economically by Russia's commodities or the withdrawal of them
    *We should use any sort of influence we might have with the US (don't laugh) to persuade them to encourage a negotiated settlement in Ukraine asap.
    (and a personal one)
    *We should take the opportunity of limited supply of nitrogen fertiliser to strongly encourage all UK farmers to remineralise their soils, to improve not just yield but overall quality of produce, and seek to wean ourselves off imported fertilisers for good.

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Spider?

Can't be a tick as it wouldn't be that quick or sharp nor can it run away (sometimes you unwittingly carry one to bed with you - have found one walking across my tummy in the middle of the night, but then I was on Rum at the time).

I wondered about a bedbug but I've been bitten by one (in a zoology lesson) and it was itchy. Though it varies.

Wait. Do many zoology lessons take place in your bed?
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Scott_xP said:

Bizarrely PM did NOT raise small boats in talks with Macron. Not sure that's going to land well at home.

Also French say Boris showed "beacoup d'enthousiasme" for Macron's 2 speed EU plan that could see UK re-engage with bloc.

Nor did PM raise NIP.

Clear attempt to avoid a dust up like last year's G7... but something of a missed opportunity.

For months HMG have privately been saying relations will get easier once Macron re-elected.

This is Harry "Tory Bear" Cole. If even he is unhappy with the Big Dog there may be trouble ahead...

Sounds like Boris and Macron are colluding on some kind of plot to cancel Brexit.
    Random financial question. Is something up with Visa?

Since my bank swapped my Visa debit card for a Mastercard, I just realised I don't have a single Visa card in my wallet anymore. Every card is a Mastercard.

I just looked online and it looks like Barclaycard is about the only UK bank left offering Visa.

Is that a problem?
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

According to other reports, this relates to an interview on the BBC Sunday Morning politics show that specifically concerned the BA airport workers' pay dispute, which makes Lammy's position all the more remarkable. AIUI a 10% pay cut was imposed across the workforce (in something called the "A scales division," according to a Unite press release) because of the pandemic; management in said division recently decided that they could afford to put the entire 10% back onto their own pay packets but told the workforce to fuck off.

We're getting dangerously close to the point now at which Labour sounds exactly like the Conservatives on the whole issue of Champagne and bonuses for bosses and shit pay settlements for everybody else, because wage-price spiral or whatever today's lame excuse is. It's small wonder that some of the common criticisms apparently made of the Labour leader in opinion polls and focus groups are that he is grey, weak and stands for absolutely nothing.

Labour is going to need to get its act together and ultimately present an election manifesto that offers necessary reform, rather than minor tweaks and more competent implementation of Conservative ideas. If the public ends up being asked to choose between Blue Tories and Red Tories, then Starmer ought not to be surprised if people end up sticking with the genuine full-fat article rather than an insipid and vacuous facsimile.
    Scott_xP said:

Since my bank swapped my Visa debit card for a Mastercard, I just realised I don't have a single Visa card in my wallet anymore. Every card is a Mastercard.

I just looked online and it looks like Barclaycard is about the only UK bank left offering Visa.

Is that a problem?

My Nationwide account is Visa. Got a new one a couple of months ago.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

Scott_xP said:

Nor did PM raise NIP.

Sounds like Boris and Macron are colluding
    on some kind of plot to cancel Brexit.
    Harry “Tory Cuck” Cole, and pretty much the entire media class, are part of the problem.

In what sense is a phone call with the President next door “abject surrender”?

This is the casual xenophobia that wrought Brexit.

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Is that a problem?

Add HSBC to the Visa column as well.
    edited June 2022

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Spider?

Wait. Do many zoology lessons take place in your bed?
    No. It was demonstrated to us in the lab and we were encouraged to feed the livestock there and then. Interactive learning innit.
    pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Is that a problem?

Add HSBC to the Visa column as well.
    Though not in the USA where I am HSBC Mastercard.

Scott_xP said:

Nor did PM raise NIP.

Sounds like Boris and Macron are colluding on some kind of plot to cancel Brexit.
    There's plenty of scope for re-engagement if the outer orbit that Macron wants to design excludes the free movement of people. Produce the appropriate compromise and everyone in Parliament except the Tory right would vote for it tomorrow.

Whether such a compromise ever comes to pass is, of course, anyone's guess.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,152
    We still don't seem to have worked out yet that not every game is a T20 game ...
    pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

Nor did PM raise NIP.

There's plenty of scope for re-engagement if the outer orbit that Macron wants to design excludes the free movement of people. Produce the appropriate compromise and everyone in Parliament except the Tory right would vote for it tomorrow.
    Whether such a compromise ever comes to
    pass is, of course, anyone's guess.
    It’s very much in Britain’s interests to make it so, and in France’s too.

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Scott_xP said:

Is that a problem?

I have no idea about the industry, but I’m with Santander and I’ve had a couple of issues with using my MasterCard debit card. Only a couple of retailers, but still annoying when it happens (MasterCard credit cards seem fine).
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    This is a somewhat misleading post. From 1997 to 2015 the LDs won almost every seat in Devon and Cornwall and plenty of other seats in Dorset and Somerset too.

It was not Cameron that won them for the Tories as most of them stayed LD in 2010, it was the coalition which saw leftwing LD voters switch en masse to Labour dividing the anti Tory vote in the SW and enabling the Tories to win them. The SW also voted for Brexit and hence both May and Johnson won more seats in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset in 2017 and 2019 than Cameron did in 2010.

The only seats in the SW Cameron really made a difference was Remain seats like Bath which were Tory in 2015 but went LD in 2017 after the Brexit vote
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Nigelb said:

Not going to happen, to get a constitutional amendment to ban abortion US wise the pro life lobby would need a GOP President, a 2/3 GOP majority in both Chambers of Congress and GOP control of 3/4 of US states. Even to get a Federal law banning abortion they need at least a GOP President in 2024 as well as GOP control of the House and Senate in November.

Realistically they ahould focus on just making abortion mostly illegal in the minority of States which have a GOP governor and legislature, mainly Trump voting states in the South.
    That would at least be an improvement for them than the situation before the SC overturned Roe v Wade where abortion on demand was legal US wide
  • DougSeal said:

Indeed. As an actual Devonian Celt, I am embarrassed to have any connection with such a thin-skinned humourless poster.
    HYUFD said:

This is a somewhat misleading post. From 1997 to 2015 the LDs won almost every seat in Devon and Cornwall and plenty of other seats in Dorset and Somerset too.

It was not Cameron that won them for the Tories as most of them stayed LD in 2010, it was the coalition which saw leftwing LD voters switch en masse to Labour dividing the anti Tory vote in the SW and enabling the Tories to win them. The SW also voted for Brexit and hence both May and Johnson won more seats in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset in 2017 and 2019 than Cameron did in 2010.

The only seats in the SW Cameron really made a difference was Remain seats like Bath which were Tory in 2015 but went LD in 2017 after the Brexit vote

The SW and Scotland though are largely responsible for the huge shift in vote efficiency from Labour to Tory in 2015.
    That needs to unwind to unseat the government. This is a start if no more.
    HYUFD said:

Thanks for warning us in advance your post is going to be misleading. Damn decent.
    Lloyds, Halifax, Bank of Scotland are all sticking with VISA for the time being.

First Direct are switching over to Mastercard and it is expected their parent HSBC will do so as well. RBS and Natwest are moving over as well.

TSB do have plans (since 2018) to move over to Mastercard but they've been on hold because of their epic IT fuck up.

What's happened is VISA Europe were taken over by VISA Inc, previously VISA Europe were owned by UK and European banks and now they are owned by Yanks who are taking the piss with their fees.

Mastercard have taken advantage, it is expected VISA Inc will start taking the piss over credit card fees, they want to charge AMEX level of fees.
This discussion has been closed.