Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Johnson survival market is getting predictable – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.
    Happy to report that it is perfect.
    Busy, yes, but justifiably so, and not unpleasantly so. I have never been anywhere so sparkly. The place shines. Now, the day was a good day for weather, but even so, even for Cornwall, this is beautiful. One of the highlights of Europe; and I'm mildly shocked that I've lived in the same country as it for 47 years without going there.
    We parked in Carbis Bay at our friends' house and walked three miles along the SW coastal path to get there, which is an even better approach than the train - it just gets better and better as you approach it.
    Day further improved by behaviour of my youngest, who had one of her sunniest ever days. May be the gentle attentions of friend's slightly older daughter. May be the ADHD meds kicking in. Will happily take it either way.
    Returned to Falmouth where it was overcast, then rainy - but happy to report that Falmouth in the rain is still a very pleasant place to be. Tea overlooking the superyachts and the Roseland peninsula behind.
    I still believe this is one of the best places within ten hours' travel of Manchester.

You're obviously forgetting that you can get to Wick in less than 9 hours
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.
    Busy, yes, but justifiably so, and not unpleasantly so. I have never been anywhere so sparkly. The place shines. Now, the day was a good day for weather, but even so, even for Cornwall, this is beautiful. One of the highlights of Europe; and I'm mildly shocked that I've lived in the same country as it for 47 years without going there.
    We parked in Carbis Bay at our friends' house and walked three miles along the SW coastal path to get there, which is an even better approach than the train - it just gets better and better as you approach it.
    Day further improved by behaviour of my youngest, who had one of her sunniest ever days. May be the gentle attentions of friend's slightly older daughter. May be the ADHD meds kicking in. Will happily take it either way.
    Returned to Falmouth where it was overcast, then rainy - but happy to report that Falmouth in the rain is still a very pleasant place to be. Tea overlooking the superyachts and the Roseland peninsula behind.
    I still believe this is one of the best places within ten hours' travel of Manchester.

A memory of St Ives. Walking there and snagging my Walkman's headphones on a branch, damaging them. A few hours later arriving in the town and finding a tiny shop that sold headphones. Buying a pair, only for them to snag on brambles before I reached Cardis Bay. A pair of earbuds will normally last me months.

Another memory: meeting the local MP along with another walker. Hearing about the Columbia shuttle disaster outside the Tate, and the MP being utterly disinterested.

Another memory: an overgrown ruined church on the inland route between Zennor and St Ives; a beautifully spooky place I've never been able to locate on Google Maps.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

Stella Creasy is a genius. She’s managed to get free publicity for Labour’s new position of women can’t have penises

That’s one view.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Safety car with six laps remaining in the 500. Sound familiar?

Red flag thrown so that the race doesn't finish under caution.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040

Quite incredible frankly....

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    5h
    Astonishing with all that's going on, that the Labour Party is is having public war of words over whether a woman can be born with a penis.

That's just so they can finally choose a "female" leader next time.
    Ouch!!!!!!
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Michael Clarke suggesting Germany may have the best Howitzers in the world but they are 'very slow' at sending them to Ukraine? Why is this?

My gut feeling is that Germany has decided that since the Ukrainians aren't going to be overwhelmed, sending weapons now will only prolong the war. Ukraine conceding some territory would in their eyes be the fastest way to end the war which is what they really want. They can then go back to trying to pacify Russia's imperialistic ambitions which won't be killed stone dead by a peace deal that allows them to gain territory. I fear this kind of behaviour emboldens Putin to continue fighting the war.

I hope I am wrong.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,146
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

Less than that. Wick has an airport.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

@TheScreamingEagles welcome back and sorry for the result.

What is your appraisal of what happened yesterday outside the stadium? Would be interested to hear an eyewitness.

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I'm guessing he ...
    You're right. I asked @TheScreamingEagles not someone who wasn't there. But I'm interested that you think he teleported into the ground.
    Don't be dim, he was there at 5.30. It was only from about 7 that the cokeheads started to learn that a walkover was not on the cards.

légions d'honneur aplenty for yesterday's work, I hope.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040

Michael Clarke suggesting Germany may have the best Howitzers in the world but they are 'very slow' at sending them to Ukraine? Why is this?

My gut feeling is that Germany has decided that since the Ukrainians aren't going to be overwhelmed, sending weapons now will only prolong the war. Ukraine conceding some territory would in their eyes be the fastest way to end the war which is what they really want. They can then go back to trying to pacify Russia's imperialistic ambitions which won't be killed stone dead by a peace deal that allows them to gain territory. I fear this kind of behaviour emboldens Putin to continue fighting the war.

I hope I am wrong.

Germany increasingly sounding mercantilist frankly.
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

Not direct from Manchester! Faster to drive, I reckon. Once you take into account travel to the airport and security

I hope I am wrong.

My impression is that there are massive arguments going on inside Germany between those who want to do the right thing and those who want to appease the Russians. The latter are winning.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Monkeys said:

'People love Boris Johnson. They want to see him, they want to touch him, they want to have their kids photographed with him. Keir Starmer hasn't got a tenth of his charisma.'

Andrew Pierce discusses the Prime Minister's popularity.

Are some people here on the same stuff as this guy?

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1530943752029757443

It's true that Starmer doesn't have his charisma but that doesn't mean Boris isn't a turnoff for a good proportion of the electorate. Starmer is there to make the Labour party boring again for a while so it's not even a bad quality to have.
    I am very confused why boring is a bad attribute. Anyone ever heard Wilson or Attlee speak?
    Wilson was quite a witty speaker in his day, was he not? Are you sure it is not his accent putting you off?

I've just found this on Youtube: a half-hour interview with Wilson before the first 1974 election. Can you imagine Boris doing this? Will there be a windfall tax? One odd thing to our ears is the talk of housewives in regard to food prices. Also a discussion of wage increases in time of inflation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaasnLeYdIE
    Interesting - he sounds quite Corbynite to modern ears. Price controls! Rent controls! Very assured speaker, though.
    Isn't the failure of price controls in 1970s one of the lessons that Corbyn didn't learn? I ask as a genuine economic question rather than just having a go.
    Possibly he did? It didn't feature in either 2017 or 2019 manifestos, after all, and it's many years since I heard anyone advocate them.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002

Stella Creasy is a genius. She’s managed to get free publicity for Labour’s new position of women can’t have penises

That’s one view.
    I am not sure it working out quite like that to be fair

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    5h
    Astonishing with all that's going on, that the Labour Party is is having public war of words over whether a woman can be born with a penis.

I hate all flavours of "with all that's going on..." argument. I am capable of having well thought out opinions on dozens of things at once.

I don't, mind, I stick to a bare half a dozen positions of thoughtless bigotry. But that's a personal choice.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

A memory of St Ives. Walking there and snagging my Walkman's headphones on a branch, damaging them. A few hours later arriving in the town and finding a tiny shop that sold headphones. Buying a pair, only for them to snag on brambles before I reached Cardis Bay. A pair of earbuds will normally last me months.

Another memory: meeting the local MP along with another walker. Hearing about the Columbia shuttle disaster outside the Tate, and the MP being utterly disinterested.

Another memory: an overgrown ruined church on the inland route between Zennor and St Ives; a beautifully spooky place I've never been able to locate on Google Maps.
    January is an unusual time to be visiting St Ives. David Harris is still around at the age of 84.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

I reckon you'd struggle, frankly. Especially if you're travelling on the first Saturday of half term and having to contend with the hordes heading to Caithness for their holiday.
    edited May 2022
    Marcus Ericsson - remember him - wins the Indianapolis 500. Brilliant drive, and thoroughly deserved after the nonsense red flag with six to go just so the TV companies get a green flag finish (it actually finished under yellow).
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL

Now that Boris has called for his dog to be put down, his days really are numbered

https://twitter.com/JohnJCrace/status/1530917553182281728

LOL @ unintended consequences if Galadriel's been unable to take the revolting little thing to France, because Brexit.

https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1530632313629024267
    Totes with Boris here. I HATE yappy dogs. Shoot the fuckers. I will do it personally

There’s one right near my Tbilisi hotel. It can yap for hours at a stretch, I’ve come close to marching down and hurling it in the Mrtsksvkrktka river
    We have a little yappy dog, a Chihuahua. And honestly, I wish we'd got her years ago.

Because if we had she would probably be dead by now.
    :lol:

I'll tell you what, it softens the whole divorce thing when the wife gets exclusive custody of the dogs.
    I have absolutely ZERO sentimental attachment to animals, It shocks everyone I know - even close friends - when I admit it,

I hate cruelty to animals in general. Factory farming upsets me, etc

But individual animals? Fuck em. If they annoy me, chuck them off a cliff. This includes family pets
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csx5HSuQb2k
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

January is an unusual time to be visiting St Ives. David Harris is still around at the age of 84.
    It was Andrew George at the time.

I was walking the coast, and decided to be in the warmest part in winter. Better than those who end up in northwest Scotland over the winter ... ;)

The southwest in winter is odd. So many places are closed, and it was hard to find campsites for our motorhome. Yet it was also a wonderful time to walk the path.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    Grade A betting advice from Quincel there.

Thanks Pip.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,146
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

Not direct from Manchester! Faster to drive, I reckon. Once you take into account travel to the airport and security
    Oh yes, I forgot. The famous near-4 hours security at Manc Flugplatz.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

That being a "new position" is still problematic...
    Leon said:

Fuck France, fuck UEFA, and fuck the gendarmerie, the latter must be the first French people spoiling for a fight.

Sympathies

I confess my first reaction was not especially warm to the hymn-booers, but the more I see the more I think: Hmm.

Eg there are now multiple videos of locals in Paris trying to storm their way in. With police looking totally pathetic and ineffectual. Easier to be mean to Liverpool fans, I suspect, than kick off a riot in St Denis. ditto the robbing of fans by the same locals

What a mess

Still, I’m glad Real won. Stop booing the Queen, the anthem, and - most of all - stop booing profound and beautiful hymns, and Britain might like you again
    Like it or not they are probably the most successful football club this country has ever produced. The Premier League is one of our major cultural exports. Sometimes you have relatives you disagree with but it's best to try and find a way to rub along together.
    @JosiasJessop

Hi JJ. Wanted to get back to you on a little question I put to you a week or so ago.

I said there were only two rivers in the world that flow South to North, the Nile and the other is in Gloucestershire - the Isbourne.

I took a lot of flak from posters saying there were many more than that but I think they were taking a loose view of the definition. The Isbourne flows due North for its entire length, from its source on Cleeve Hill to the point it joins the Avon near Evesham. There may be others that run S/N, I grant, but very few that follow the compass so directly.

Hope that clears matters up.

Atb

PtP

Leon said:

Fuck France, fuck UEFA, and fuck the gendarmerie, the latter must be the first French people spoiling for a fight.

Sympathies

I confess my first reaction was not especially warm to the hymn-booers, but the more I see the more I think: Hmm.

Eg there are now multiple videos of locals in Paris trying to storm their way in. With police looking totally pathetic and ineffectual. Easier to be mean to Liverpool fans, I suspect, than kick off a riot in St Denis. ditto the robbing of fans by the same locals

What a mess

Still, I’m glad Real won. Stop booing the Queen, the anthem, and - most of all - stop booing profound and beautiful hymns, and Britain might like you again
    Like it or not they are probably the most successful football club this country has ever produced. The Premier League is one of our major cultural exports. Sometimes you have relatives you disagree with but it's best to try and find a way to rub along together.
    I'm sure those Juventus fans would agree. Can't make an omelette, etc....
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Boris sounds like he’s running a menagerie, with no interest or ability to separate the personal from the professional.
    edited May 2022

@JosiasJessop

Hi JJ. Wanted to get back to you on a little question I put to you a week or so ago.

I said there were only two rivers in the world that flow South to North, the Nile and the other is in Gloucestershire - the Isbourne.

I took a lot of flak from posters saying there were many more than that but I think they were taking a loose view of the definition. The Isbourne flows due North for its entire length, from its source on Cleeve Hill to the point it joins the Avon near Evesham. There may be others that run S/N, I grant, but very few that follow the compass so directly.

Atb

PtP

Hi PtP, I think the question as posed was too vague, hence people chipping back. Stimulated debate though, never a bad thing.

Edit. A cursory check on the Nike suggests it also does not only flow S to N.

https://google.co.uk/search?q=course+of+the+nile+river&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjonZ_vwIX4AhVPSkEAHdODA98Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1121&bih=728&dpr=2
    I have driven Llandudno to Lossiemouth (456 miles) and vice versa scores of times over the last 57 years and the fastest time on my own, only fuelling, was just over 7 hours circa 1970

However, with today's traffic and speed restrictions 9 hours is about right so Manchester to Wick which is a comparable distance could be done in 9 hours just about
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

Since the only direct flights to Wick are from Aberdeen, you'd have to factor in a change there as well.

So you could do Manchester-Aberdeen by EasyJet, then Eastern Airways on to Wick.

It would probably be quicker and certainly less hassle to go by pedalo, but it could be done.
    Applicant said:

That being a "new position" is still problematic...
    I really do not know how viewers, especially children, react when journalists continually ask labour politicians can a woman have a penis

I can see some very strange parental conversations, even adult ones

Boris sounds like he’s running a menagerie, with no interest or ability to separate the personal from the professional.

I am not sure Boris knows how to run anything
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Sympathies

What a mess

A terrible event but I would question whether Liverpool fans were solely to blame for what happened. And frankly there were a whole lot of 'supporters' at that time engaging in appalling behaviour. I'm not aware of Liverpool fans having been especially notorious for hooliganism.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    5h

An avoidable cock up.
    That’s a phallusy.
    It's just politicians talking bollocks, as usual.

I am not sure Boris knows how to run anything
    Sure. We know this.
    I continue to be astonished though that he is such a shambles.

Imagine you are running a G7 country.
    I think you’d want to make sure you were nowhere near yapping dogs, and ABBA parties, let alone wasting civil servant’s time on the ensuing chaos.

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Sympathies

What a mess

A terrible event but I would question whether Liverpool fans were solely to blame for what happened. And frankly there were a whole lot of 'supporters' at that time engaging in appalling behaviour. I'm not aware of Liverpool fans having been especially notorious for hooliganism.
    Yes, that’s fair. Football hooliganism was awful back then. However I have always been struck by the contrast in memorialism of the two events. The causes of hillsborough absolutely include things like Hetsel requiring cages.
    edited May 2022
    My son and family's flight home from Turkey this evening due off at 9.30pm our time has just had a four hour delay announced

Not gone down well as his wife is 6 months pregnant and his children are 8 and 10

The airline business is chaotic and frankly why bother when we have so many lovely places to visit here in the UK
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    edited May 2022
    Wit all the talk below of Liverpool non supporters I wonder who has the most un-fans (ie those that actively dislike a team) ?

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Man City (Always thought that back to the pitch chant was very rude and arrogant)
    Leeds

and the other side , without actually being a fan I like
    Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham
  • Johnson is as terrible as I knew he would be. You were warned
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631

MattW said:

Fifth, and cut off by the thread.

MattW said:

OT

I don't think this has been mentioned yet on PB but I have to say I am rather disturbed by the fact that the BBC have reversed the hiring of a stand in radio presenter simply on the grounds he is left wing and anti-Boris Johnson.

Are we to see a situation where, every time there is a change of Government, the whole of the BBC presenting establishment has to be fired and rehired based on their political persuasion? Or do we want our presenters only to be drawn from the ranks of those who are so disengaged from life that they hold no political views at all?

I suspect I disagree with pretty much everyone of Mr Stadlen's political positions - though to be fair I have never actually heard of him before now - but unless he abuses his position as a presenter then he should not be barred from a job simply because he is critical of the Government.

Not sure. If this is correct (published by Guido, but it was wrong the BBC would have pushed back) he was continuing being nakedly partisan up until mere days ago. Is that tenable for a BBC presenter on a rolling News (Radio 5) channel? I'd say they may have violated their own standard.

More like a recruiting process off the rails, perhaps? Or a horribly poor sense of judgement on Standen's part.

One could understand if it was 5 years ago, but whilst he has been after the job?

He is not yet employed by the BBC and has broken none of their rules or guidelines. He has every right to express his political position and personally I would think less of him if he stopped his activities just to get a job. Unless he had had a Damascene conversion then it would still be known that he was vehemently anti-Tory. But then so are probably close to half the population. If that were the standard to go by then just about the only person on PB who would reach the bar to work for the BBC would be HYUFD.

This is a fundamentally wrong and dangerous road to travel down.

While as you say wrong a lot of people find having a strong political opinion is a bar to work whether left or right. Sadly in this day and age when being recruited companies will look at your social media postings if you are stupid enough to do them under your own name.

My son and families flight home from Turkey this evening due off at 9.30pm our time has just had a four hour delay announced

Not gone down well as his wife is 6 months pregnant and his children are 8 and 10

The airline business is chaotic and frankly why bother when we have so many lovely places to visit here in the UK

Mainly the weather. U.K. in good weather is superb. But late May and 12 degs does not always appeal.

Johnson is as terrible as I knew he would be. You were warned

Which is true, but still he was the lesser of two evils. And that was the problem.

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

No probs, and I hope I wasn't too argumentative.

My son and family's flight home from Turkey this evening due off at 9.30pm our time has just had a four hour delay announced

Anecdotally, it does feel like airline punctuality has gone to pot.

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

AH but of course there is no real south or north as the Earth is a rotating (near) sphere
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,920
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

Since the only direct flights to Wick are from Aberdeen, you'd have to factor in a change there as well.

So you could do Manchester-Aberdeen by EasyJet, then Eastern Airways on to Wick.

It would probably be quicker and certainly less hassle to go by pedalo, but it could be done.
    Manchester to Edinburgh, Edinburgh to Inverness, Inverness to Wick.

Oh, you're NOT talking about trains? :lol:

Anecdotally, it does feel like airline punctuality has gone to pot.
    Looking on the bright side the flight has not been cancelled when many airlines are cancelling dozens of flight

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

Manchester to Edinburgh, Edinburgh to Inverness, Inverness to Wick.

Oh, you're NOT talking about trains? :lol:
    Great train journey
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249
    Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

Fabulous. So glad you had a nice time with the kids

If the weather continues favourable maybe get the little ferry from Falmouth to St Mawes, where there are multiple walks, cafes, pubs, churches, castles, and beaches, and then get the tiny tiny ferry to Place from St Mawes. An adventure on an adventure

St Mawes has lots of eating options

The legend that inspired Blake’s poem Jerusalem is based on the myth that Jesus, as a boy, landed on a tiny cove near Place Manor, with his uncle the tin-trader Joseph of Arimathea. You will recognise the cove when you see it, and it sings with spirituality, under the tamarisks and the cedars
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited May 2022
    [SNIP]
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

If the weather continues favourable maybe get the little ferry from Falmouth to St Mawes, where there are multiple walks, cafes, pubs, churches, castles, and beaches, and then get the tiny tiny ferry to Place from St Mawes. An adventure on an adventure

The legend that inspired Blake’s poem Jerusalem is based on the myth that Jesus, as a boy, landed on a tiny cove near Place Manor, with his uncle the tin-trader Joseph of Arimathea. You will recognise the cove when you see it, and it sings with spirituality, under the tamarisks and the cedars
    There you see, even Jesus took your advice not to come to grim Cornwall
    @turbotubbs

Thanks for the comment, Turbo.

Yes, I am sure that is right about the Nile but I can vouch for the Isbourne alongside which I walk my dog often. It really does flow pretty straight and due north most of its course.
    At the risk of self-posting:

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

The Wales Transport Strategy 2021 is an absolute fiasco. Bloody Drakeford!
  • Johnson is as terrible as I knew he would be. You were warned

Which is true, but still he was the lesser of two evils. And that was the problem.
    Yes but now you have Starmer. And yet people here will still vote for Johnson

For once this is not Drakeford
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    edited May 2022

Wit all the talk below of Liverpool non supporters I wonder who has the most un-fans (ie those that actively dislike a team) ?

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Man City (Always thought that back to the pitch chant was very rude and arrogant)
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.
    Have an irrational soft spot for

QPR (is that widespread?)
    Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Chelsea (I believe that is widespread)
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

No apparent reasons. Just the way it is for me.
    It gives me a tiny joy when the former win and the latter lose.
  • All parties have a shelf life in Government. Maybe it’s just the end of turn Tories now

@turbotubbs

Thanks for the comment, Turbo.

Yes, I am sure that is right about the Nile but I can vouch for the Isbourne alongside which I walk my dog often. It really does flow pretty straight and due north most of its course.

It may the only one then! I bet it’s a nice walk.
  • I don’t consider Johnson the lesser or two evils no. Just as bad as Corbyn

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

AH but of course there is no real south or north as the Earth is a rotating (near) sphere
    Um, there's something pretty non-arbitrary about the endpoints of the line about which it rotates.

Yes but now you have Starmer. And yet people here will still vote for Johnson
    I think people will choose who to vote for much closer to the actual election. And I also think Johnson should be gone. But it’s also true that we are on PB and by its very nature we are heavily interested in politics. Most people aren’t. I get the impression most people have taken against Johnson in a big way now. And yet on Election Day people sometimes hold their nose and vote for the devil they know.
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

Train to ullapool, pop round to Inverness on ferry, bus.

I don’t consider Johnson the lesser or two evils no. Just as bad as Corbyn

You considered Corbyn a great bloke for a long while, forgive us if we therefore look at your character judgement with a somewhat dubious feeling.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

For once this is not Drakeford
    I simply can't believe that.
    dixiedean said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.

Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

Dislike:
    Oxford, Bristol City, MK Dons (obviously).

Affection for Southampton, Norwich (but waning as I haven’t lived there for 17 years).

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

The Hulahula river in Alaska starts at 144°00'40.8"W and ends at 144°01'24.6"W, 109km to the north.
    The projection from source to mouth is 359.76 degrees, almost exactly true north
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

Train to ullapool, pop round to Inverness on ferry, bus.
    There are NO TRAINS to Ullapool!

On a personal level I’d probably agree. But Johnson offered a way out of the Brexit shit show. A poor way out, as it is turning out, but I don’t think many in the country could stand much more bollocks from two faced remainers and leavers trying to win big.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

'People love Boris Johnson. They want to see him, they want to touch him, they want to have their kids photographed with him. Keir Starmer hasn't got a tenth of his charisma.'

Andrew Pierce discusses the Prime Minister's popularity.

Are some people here on the same stuff as this guy?

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1530943752029757443

Though ironically this doesn't seem to include his own family...
  • Pagan2 said:

You considered Corbyn a great bloke for a long while, forgive us if we therefore look at your character judgement with a somewhat dubious feeling.
    Aren’t you the poster that holds up cashiers by paying in exact change

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

This may sound a bit too much 'on brand', but I'm secretly rooting for Brighton and Brentford since they are the two EPL teams owned by professional gamblers and I hope they will prove the power of football analytics and bring the sport into the 21st century.

No use pretending they were the only two choices. One in four voters chose neither.
  • I don’t consider Johnson the lesser or two evils no. Just as bad as Corbyn

On a personal level I’d probably agree. But Johnson offered a way out of the Brexit shit show. A poor way out, as it is turning out, but I don’t think many in the country could stand much more bollocks from two faced remainers and leavers trying to win big.
    That’s a fair point tubbs
    dixiedean said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.

Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

Wigan
    Man City
    Swansea

Dislikes (big teams excluded):

Stoke
    Derby
    Forest Green Rovers
    Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

The Hulahula river in Alaska starts at 144°00'40.8"W and ends at 144°01'24.6"W, 109km to the north.
    The projection from source to mouth is 359.76 degrees, almost exactly true north
    The Nile is all over the shop. I think the original point was, all fucking humongous rivers (Congo Orinoco Amazon Zambezi) run roughly EW or WE, except Nile which is roughly SN.

Pagan2 said:

wow paying money is a crime now.....only in lefty minds

dixiedean said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.

Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

Dislike:
    Oxford, Bristol City, MK Dons (obviously).

Affection for Southampton, Norwich (but waning as I haven’t lived there for 17 years).
    An effective way to find joy from Norwich City appears to be follow them every other year. Alternate with Fulham and you'll be a permanent glory hunter.
    Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

There must be loads of rivers in Siberia that head north towards the Arctic.
    Quincel said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

This may sound a bit too much 'on brand', but I'm secretly rooting for Brighton and Brentford since they are the two EPL teams owned by professional gamblers and I hope they will prove the power of football analytics and bring the sport into the 21st century.
    I'm a big fan of Graham Potter. I think Man Utd should have gone for him.
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.

Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

Wigan
    Man City
    Swansea

Stoke
    Derby
    Forest Green Rovers
    Hahahaha, how can ANYONE hate FGR? Is it because they're all green and progressive?
  • Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

No you're the bloke that wants to bring back imperial even though nobody under the age of 903 understands it
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

The Nile is all over the shop. I think the original point was, all fucking humongous rivers (Congo Orinoco Amazon Zambezi) run roughly EW or WE, except Nile which is roughly SN.
    The original question struck me as a classic factoid (fact widely held to be true, that is in fact false).
    dixiedean said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.

Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

I quite like Norwich and Ross County. Wolves are OK,

Dislike: pretty much all other teams, but particularly Villa and Spurs.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Back from St. Ives.

I'm hoping to do that later in the week. I shall report back.
    Incidentally, on Joseph of Arimathea, I've just finished a book you may be interested in: Storyline, by Amy Jeffs, on the often-now-forgottem foundation myths of the British. Well written and thought-provoking.

That's the thing about politics though.
    The correct answer changes radically over time.
    Same is true of economics.
  • Ministers are considering whether to overturn the ban on new grammar schools, despite opposition from civil servants, The Telegraph understands

Out of ideas
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.

Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

Actually I’ve missed Leicester off the list of likes. My best man is a fan, and their prem win was immense. And the owners seem not to be dicks.
    River Bann in Northern Ireland!

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

No you're the bloke that wants to bring back imperial even though nobody under the age of 903 understands it
    I dont care if its brought back or not I merely commented that there were reasons why sometimes lsd was superior. Stop fibbing or find a post where I have advocated its return. Closest you will find is this one

"people should be able to sell in any measure with the caveat that other meausure should be shown such as price per 100g . I dont want to shut the young out from being able to make good purchasing decisions"

and that wasnt arguing for its return merely saying I dont think people should be disbarred from selling or buying in any units they like as long as they are marked with the price also in a commonly undestood measure.

• Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I dont care if its brought back or not I merely commented that there were reasons why sometimes lsd was superior. Stop fibbing or find a post where I have advocated its return. Closest you will find is this one

"people should be able to sell in any measure with the caveat that other meausure should be shown such as price per 100g . I dont want to shut the young out from being able to make good purchasing decisions"

and that wasnt arguing for its return merely saying I dont think people should be disbarred from selling or buying in any units they like as long as they are marked with the price also in a commonly undestood measure.

There’s not a single case where imperial is easier or more sensible than metric.

Name an example
    In fact, rivers that flow north can be found all around the world:

Athabasca River, Canada, 765 miles
    River Bann, Northern Ireland, 80 miles
    Bighorn River, U.S., 185 miles
    Cauca River, Colombia, 600 miles
    Deschutes River, U.S., 252 miles
    Essequibo River, Guyana, 630 miles
    Fox River, U.S., 202 miles
    Genesee River, U.S., 157 miles
    Lena River, Russia, 2735 miles
    Magdalena River, Colombia, 949 miles
    Mojave River, U.S., 110 miles
    Nile, Northeastern Africa, 4258 miles
    Ob River, Russia, 2268 miles
    Red River, U.S. and Canada, 318 miles
    Richelieu River, Canada, 77 miles
    St. Johns River, U.S., 310 miles
    Willamette River, U.S., 187 miles
    Yenisey River, Russia, 2136 miles

https://www.thoughtco.com/rivers-flowing-north-1435099

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.

Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

Actually I’ve missed Leicester off the list of likes. My best man is a fan, and their prem win was immense. And the owners seem not to be dicks.
    Best owners in the League, though rather skint this year. Not a good year for the Duty Free business.
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

@JosiasJessop

Atb

PtP

At this point, the Nile is flowing north to south:
    19°14'06.4"N 32°41'59.7"E
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.

Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

Best owners in the League, though rather skint this year. Not a good year for the Duty Free business.
    Is that where their money comes from? Nice. Yes, you can see how the last couple of years have been poor!

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

There’s not a single case where imperial is easier or more sensible than metric.

Name an example
    3 people go out for a meal far easier to split in L s d coinage I think was the example I posted. I haven't argued imperial was easier or more difficult. Once again putting words in my mouth I never uttered. If you believe I have argued so then post the link....clue you can't because I never said it.
  • Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    3 people go out for a meal far easier to split in L s d coinage I think was the example I posted. I haven't argued imperial was easier or more difficult. Once again putting words in my mouth I never uttered. If you believe I have argued so then post the link....clue you can't because I never said it.
    What on Earth are you on about

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Name an example
    What on Earth are you on about
    I am talking about you lying about what I said. Put up or shut up with your allegations
    dixiedean said:

That's the thing about politics though.
    The correct answer changes radically over time.
    Same is true of economics.
    I remember that time just tearing my hair out hoping a way forward would be found.
    I’m getting close to that with partygate. We all know he’s a lying shit who lied and lied and lied. We know he should resign, but won’t. We hope he will get booted out by his party or the public, if it comes to that.
    But I just can’t stand more partygate discussions.
    Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

I personally dislike
    Liverpool
    Leeds

Everton
    QPR
    Tottenham

Good question.

Notts County
    Sheffield United
    Leyton Orient.

Not like.
    Portsmouth
    Wolves.

Wigan
    Man City
    Swansea

Stoke
    Derby
    Forest Green Rovers
    Hahahaha, how can ANYONE hate FGR? Is it because they're all green and progressive?
    my mate dislikes them because he thinks they bought their way into the League . I have no opinion either way!
This discussion has been closed.