Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov MRP poll has CON losing to LAB all but 3 of 88 marginals – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379

Imperial measurements are just another way to make the UK a less competitive place to do business.

No company is going to make special products in imperial.

Have you ever been to the US?
    Yes, but we don't have a free trade agreement with them...
    You don't need a free trade agreement to trade.
    it'd be nice, though....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    kyf_100 said:

Do Britons most associate the current Conservative Party with raising taxes, lowering taxes, or neither?

Raising taxes 52%
    Lowering taxes 18%

Majorities of 2019 Labour voters (61%) and 2019 Lib Dem voters (71%) associate the current Conservative Party with raising taxes.

What are the figures for Labour?

Edit - just seen that posted below.

Blimey.
    I do not see these figures as surprising, as labour has not laid out any policies on taxation other than refusing to confirm they will abolish the NI rise if they come into office in 24 and apparently tax shares and dividends hence adversely effected most everyone's pension

There is certainly a lot of anticipation that labour will win in 24, but their worst fear must be Boris is replaced and soon
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

I can just about understand having the option to sell in metric or imperial, I'd be happy with shops showing both.

But ONLY showing imperial? Half of the population wouldn't know what on Earth was going on. This is genuinely insane.

It would also be highly inflationary. It would tempt suppliers into increasing prices in the belief that most of us wouldn't realize what was happening, and they'd be right.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Imperial measurements are just another way to make the UK a less competitive place to do business.

Yes but. That isn't even our Imperial.
    Even the bit that is. Try quoting a weight in stones there.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830
    I would like to just return to when you got sweets served in a paper bag served out of huge jars to the weight you asked for....rather than prepackaged bags of determined weight and dont care if its grams or ounces
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

ohnotnow said:

Much thought the idea of returning to imperial units makes me, at best, do a double-take - my inner child would thoroughly enjoy buying 'a quarter of jelly babies' again.

When I was at school I used to live on 20p quarters of jelly beans.
    I remember buying blackjacks and fruit salads for a farthing each. Don't want to go back to that though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2022

I can just about understand having the option to sell in metric or imperial, I'd be happy with shops showing both.

But ONLY showing imperial? Half of the population wouldn't know what on Earth was going on. This is genuinely insane.

It would also be highly inflationary. It would tempt suppliers into increasing prices in the belief that most of us wouldn't realize what was happening, and they'd be right.
    That certainly happened big time when sweets switched from imperial to grams.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

I would like to just return to when you got sweets served in a paper bag served out of huge jars to the weight you asked for....rather than prepackaged bags of determined weight and dont care if its grams or ounces

There's this great thing called pick n mix.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

kyf_100 said:

Do Britons most associate the current Conservative Party with raising taxes, lowering taxes, or neither?

Raising taxes 52%
    Lowering taxes 18%

Majorities of 2019 Labour voters (61%) and 2019 Lib Dem voters (71%) associate the current Conservative Party with raising taxes.

What are the figures for Labour?

Edit - just seen that posted below.

Blimey.
    I do not see these figures as surprising, as labour has not laid out any policies on taxation other than refusing to confirm they will abolish the NI rise if they come into office in 24 and apparently tax shares and dividends hence adversely effected most everyone's pension

There is certainly a lot of anticipation that labour will win in 24, but their worst fear must be Boris is replaced and soon
    I suspect it's less about Labour being cleverly opaque, and more about Boris's trashing of the Tory low-tax brand.
  • Options
    Anybody who thinks their taxes are going down in any substantial way over the next 10 years is deluded.
  • Options
    kjh said:

ohnotnow said:

Much thought the idea of returning to imperial units makes me, at best, do a double-take - my inner child would thoroughly enjoy buying 'a quarter of jelly babies' again.

When I was at school I used to live on 20p quarters of jelly beans.
    I remember buying blackjacks and fruit salads for a farthing each. Don't want to go back to that though.
    Why ever not though when I bought them was 3 for a new penny
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

And don't forget their gallons are different....and they love a good fluid ounce.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-bids-jubilee-boost-27090524

EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson bids for Jubilee boost with return of imperial measurements
    Downing Street will hope it shores up support among key Brexiteer voters in battleground seats which Tories are currently in danger of losing

Really got their fingers on public opinion. I don't even understand imperial measurements

I can tell you straight off it's dead easy.

1 acre = 4840 square yards = 1 chain x 10 chains = 1 x 10 cricket pitches.

Can't get any more Brexistentialist, with a nod to John Major and the crack of leather on willow as the maiden aunt cycles past the village green on the way to Evensong (strictly C of E only).
    Of course have to remember an acre made sense as it was the measure of how much land a man could plow in a day when it came about
    With a horse or ox team, yes!

So really one acre is 1 furrow long before the horses get kackered and you have to turn, x 1 cricket pitch. See. @CorrectHorseBattery , it's dead easy!
    Say what you like about old measurements they did have a certain reason behind them whereas metric measurements are largely arbitrary
    You got to remember Pagan, for those born after 1969 (yes I know it’s Heath and 71 but aged 2 your haven’t been thought much else) under 53 don’t know anything else especially in terms of money, so policy like this is not to be taken lightly and joking around like you are doing - rather than give Tories a poll boost they are thinking Boris is a nut for suggesting this. And desperate. A desperate nutcase.

But to answer your question, metric is base ten so very straightforward, what base is imperial using for you to say it’s got clear reasoning and easy to work out?
    My dear lagomorphous colleague, what election audience/cosntituency is Mr Johnson going to be most dependent on, very, very soon? The Tory Party members. That's what. Not you (I presume). Or me. Or CHB, who is quite understandably completely bewildered by it.

And many of them are older than I, and absolutely convinced that decimal currency and the metric system started the rot
    Only in PB land is a world divisible by 12 (or 14, or 8) easier than 10.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    ohnotnow said:

Aiui that is the point. All that will happen is that shopkeepers will be allowed to sell apples by the pound and jelly babies by the quarter. No-one is asking Ford to rejig all their machine tools for the British market (well, apart from putting the steering wheel in front of the driver instead of the front passenger like on the continent). And, confession time, I buy apples and bananas in 8s because that is how many Sainsbury's put in the bag.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    dixiedean said:

Their feet and inches are the same. :)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-bids-jubilee-boost-27090524

EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson bids for Jubilee boost with return of imperial measurements
    Downing Street will hope it shores up support among key Brexiteer voters in battleground seats which Tories are currently in danger of losing

Really got their fingers on public opinion. I don't even understand imperial measurements

We'll know they're getting really desperate/crazed/both when they decide to bring back the old money as well.
    Imperial units made about as much sense as Brexit itself.
    Brexit has hit this country financially, using Imperial units should continue that direction.
    Does anyone believe it will give Boris a boost?
    I'm starting to think Boris is becoming unhinged. Whatever you think of the Red Wall motivation for Brexit - a base hatred of the alien or a noble longing for sovereignty - surely no one sane thinks a return to imperial measurements was part of the calculation. Boris is starting to think that he has some profound insight into the mind of the masses when he clearly doesn't have a clue. That's dangerous.
    63% of Tory voters and 64% of Leave voters backed plans to make it legal for shops to sell only in imperial measurements

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/09/17/eded5/3
    So about a third of the British population then. We're in 'Believe Princess Di was assassinated' territory here.
    If you drill down into the age and party figures, it's the oldie Tory voters who are swamping the totals. Hardly surprising. Perhaps they have hoards of old pennies and halfpennies in a bottle somewhere.... like the garden shed....with an old radio where they listen to Gardener's Question Time and Any Questions on Long Wave, 1500m (edit 1515m since the 80s), like Charters and Caldicott, or even Jacob Rees-Smug...

:smiley:
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

I can tell you straight off it's dead easy.

1 acre = 4840 square yards = 1 chain x 10 chains = 1 x 10 cricket pitches.

Can't get any more Brexistentialist, with a nod to John Major and the crack of leather on willow as the maiden aunt cycles past the village green on the way to Evensong (strictly C of E only).
    Of course have to remember an acre made sense as it was the measure of how much land a man could plow in a day when it came about
    With a horse or ox team, yes!

So really one acre is 1 furrow long before the horses get kackered and you have to turn, x 1 cricket pitch. See. @CorrectHorseBattery , it's dead easy!
    Say what you like about old measurements they did have a certain reason behind them whereas metric measurements are largely arbitrary
    You got to remember Pagan, for those born after 1969 (yes I know it’s Heath and 71 but aged 2 your haven’t been thought much else) under 53 don’t know anything else especially in terms of money, so policy like this is not to be taken lightly and joking around like you are doing - rather than give Tories a poll boost they are thinking Boris is a nut for suggesting this. And desperate. A desperate nutcase.

But to answer your question, metric is base ten so very straightforward, what base is imperial using for you to say it’s got clear reasoning and easy to work out?
    My dear lagomorphous colleague, what election audience/cosntituency is Mr Johnson going to be most dependent on, very, very soon? The Tory Party members. That's what. Not you (I presume). Or me. Or CHB, who is quite understandably completely bewildered by it.

And many of them are older than I, and absolutely convinced that decimal currency and the metric system started the rot
    Only in PB land is a world divisible by 12 (or 14, or 8) easier than 10.
    I spend most of my adult life in base 16
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Pagan2 said:

You need to take out a mortgage these days to afford pick n mix.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

And don't forget their gallons are different....and they love a good fluid ounce.
    As well as a cup. Which doesn't appear to even have an exact measurement.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

We'll know they're getting really desperate/crazed/both when they decide to bring back the old money as well.
    Brexit has hit this country financially, using Imperial units should continue that direction.
    I'm starting to think Boris is becoming unhinged. Whatever you think of the Red Wall motivation for Brexit - a base hatred of the alien or a noble longing for sovereignty - surely no one sane thinks a return to imperial measurements was part of the calculation. Boris is starting to think that he has some profound insight into the mind of the masses when he clearly doesn't have a clue. That's dangerous.
    63% of Tory voters and 64% of Leave voters backed plans to make it legal for shops to sell only in imperial measurements

So about a third of the British population then. We're in 'Believe Princess Di was assassinated' territory here.
    That is enough to get the Tories to 35% and thus keep Boris in No 10 until the next general election while also preventing a Labour majority at that election
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

There's an old fashioned sweet shop in Tenby where they have lots of jars of old fashioned sweets in the window, so you can buy in any amount you want.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cups in cooking are about ratios. The exact measurement does not really matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Arhh yes the good old cup. I think it is standardised in the US. Mrs U (who spends a lot of time in the US) has a set of "cups" for baking and tells me it is actually better. But the cup is also used in places like Australia where I think its different size.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Anybody who thinks their taxes are going down in any substantial way over the next 10 years is deluded.

Yep, taxes will remain high for the foreseeable. Liar has given the go-ahead for Labour to be more expansive in the tax and spend game. Real visionary policies could be in the offing. Will they take the aggressive approach or be timid?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    murali_s said:

Yep, taxes will remain high for the foreseeable. Liar has given the go-ahead for Labour to be more expansive in the tax and spend game. Real visionary policies could be in the offing. Will they take the aggressive approach or be timid?
    I fully expect a wealth tax, 2nd home tax, IHT threshold cut, and NI++ to get increased for starters.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

My kitchen meaasuring thingy marks a cup as 8oz, but yes it doesn’t matter so long as one uses the same cup (even a physical tea cup) for everything in the recipe.
  • Options

Forecasts today expect interest rates to rise to 3% and with our current debt costing 83 billion pa, goodness knows where that figure will go

Labour have a free pass at present, but they do not have their hands on the exchequer for at least 2 years and if anyone expects todays tax and spend will not change in that period then it is hope over expectation

2024 could result is most any result
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

Pagan2 said:

That will be this time next year given CPI! 😡
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    On measurements:

The weirdest one is the difference between a US survey foot and the US foot. The latter is based on the international standard, and is a fraction of an inch longer than the 'survey' foot. The difference is tiny, but when measuring a country as big as the US, it adds up enough to cause issues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/science/foot-surveying-metrology-dennis.html

But fortunately the survey foot is going to be deprecated soon:
    https://www.nist.gov/pml/us-surveyfoot
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Forecasts today expect interest rates to rise to 3% and with our current debt costing 83 billion pa, goodness knows where that figure will go

Labour have a free pass at present, but they do not have their hands on the exchequer for at least 2 years and if anyone expects todays tax and spend will not change in that period then it is hope over expectation

“ 2024 could result is most any result”

You sound drunk too. Hope you are. I’m drunk already this is how girl from north rolls in London. When I first came south they said we meeting up in at 9. I said where are you drinking first I can meet you there they said no it’s our first place at 9. I like whaaaaaaat?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

That will be this time next year given CPI! 😡
    Its bad enough as it is. When I take my mates kids out for the day, I treat them to some from time to time. They are super sporty and never stop charging about. They are shredded of any fat, but consume loads of food, and let them loose near the pick n mix and my credit card company starts ringing me telling me there has been an exceptionally large irregular purchase on my card!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

My kitchen meaasuring thingy marks a cup as 8oz, but yes it doesn’t matter so long as one uses the same cup (even a physical tea cup) for everything in the recipe.
    Cups is Yankee measurement. I have all size cups.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

murali_s said:

I fully expect a wealth tax, 2nd home tax, IHT threshold cut, and NI++ to get increased for starters.
    Maybe an increase in Council Tax for second homes? Aren't they trying that out in Wales? 😈
  • Options

murali_s said:

Maybe an increase in Council Tax for second homes? Aren't they trying that out in Wales? 😈
    That's what I meant by the 2nd home tax. I fully expect they will copy it in England (if Sunak doesn't do it first).
  • Options
    Someone (perhaps MoonRabbit?) remarked earlier today how out of date the policies on Blair's pledge card seemed.
    The Tories are determined to take us back to the Seventies in semmingly endless inventive ways.
    Bring back Why Don't You?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

That is enough to get the Tories to 35% and thus keep Boris in No 10 until the next general election while also preventing a Labour majority at that election
    He will be lucky to still be there in a few weeks

The rebellion by his mps is gathering pace and as I reported earlier Graham Brady may well announce the vonc on return from recess

I expect you will say he will win the vonc, but in so doing he will be holed below his plimsoll line
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Commiserations to Huddersfield Giants. They deserved to beat Wigan.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

My grandfather's old ww2 army recipes measured ingredients in buckets rather than cups.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Someone (perhaps MoonRabbit?) remarked earlier today how out of date the policies on Blair's pledge card seemed.
    The Tories are determined to take us back to the Seventies in semmingly endless inventive ways.

Because the only good thing about why dont you was there suggestion you turned off the tv and didnt watch it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

🤣

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

If you drill down into the age and party figures, it's the oldie Tory voters who are swamping the totals. Hardly surprising. Perhaps they have hoards of old pennies and halfpennies in a bottle somewhere.... like the garden shed....with an old radio where they listen to Gardener's Question Time and Any Questions on Long Wave, 1500m (edit 1515m since the 80s), like Charters and Caldicott, or even Jacob Rees-Smug...

My dad has £10 and £20 notes in a wallet I laughed where your using them in cashless society 😂
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cup is precisely defined in US speak, can't remember what but it is close to .25 litres
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Pagan2 said:

Is this why you voted Leave?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

🤣

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

My dad has £10 and £20 notes in a wallet I laughed where your using them in cashless society 😂
    No such thing thankfully here as a cashless society and if you want one all you are doing is handing power to the faceless assholes in whitehall when they can track every penny you spend. Have fun with that
  • Options

You sound drunk too. Hope you are. I’m drunk already this is how girl from north rolls in London. When I first came south they said we meeting up in at 9. I said where are you drinking first I can meet you there they said no it’s our first place at 9. I like whaaaaaaat?
    Actually I rarely drink and maybe only three or four times when I was very much younger

Now mastery of English is another matter for me !!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    slade said:

Commiserations to Huddersfield Giants. They deserved to beat Wigan.

20 th title for the Mighty Wigan says they didn't.
    Far too conservative. And couldn't kick a goal.
    Their game plan to suffocate Field and Bevan French worked perfectly.
    Apart from the one time it didn't.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Aiui that is the point. All that will happen is that shopkeepers will be allowed to sell apples by the pound and jelly babies by the quarter. No-one is asking Ford to rejig all their machine tools for the British market (well, apart from putting the steering wheel in front of the driver instead of the front passenger like on the continent). And, confession time, I buy apples and bananas in 8s because that is how many Sainsbury's put in the bag.
    You plutocratic bastard, buying bagged bananas. weigh 8 loose bananas next time and see how much money you are spaffing away.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Because the only good thing about why dont you was there suggestion you turned off the tv and didnt watch it?
    It was me. It showed how times and priorities change.

Nothing about immigration on Blair promise card, I remember a Matt cartoon with Labour candidate with head in ground and Matt tells wife (as it’s him he;s drawing) told you not to mention immigration.

Whilst Blair was winning elections big he was fucking up.

No wonder he can’t sleep at night.
  • Options

On measurements:

The weirdest one is the difference between a US survey foot and the US foot. The latter is based on the international standard, and is a fraction of an inch longer than the 'survey' foot. The difference is tiny, but when measuring a country as big as the US, it adds up enough to cause issues.

imperial feet have changed too; an inch used to be almost exactly 25.4cm, now it is exactly exactly.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Well if that is Starmer's offering there will be plenty of candidates to be Conservative Leader of the Opposition
  • Options

Meaning, 3 hours in the future from now? You wanna pace yourself.

Just got a DVD of Get Carter in the post (proper 1971 one) so gonna watch that now.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Nothing about immigration on Blair promise card, I remember a Matt cartoon with Labour candidate with head in ground and Matt tells wife (as it’s him he;s drawing) told you not to mention immigration.

I suspect he has bigger worries on his mind than immigration being why he cant sleep like all those he murdered in iraq
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    South Kensington Piccadilly Line station to re-open on Wednesday 1st June.

https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/travel/london-underground-london-bus-overground-24073044
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Well if that is Starmer's offering there will be plenty of candidates to be Conservative Leader of the Opposition
    If you want to avoid that scenario campaign to get Boris out otherwise say goodbye to your inheritance
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

On measurements:

imperial feet have changed too; an inch used to be almost exactly 25.4cm, now it is exactly exactly.
    That is a bloody long inch. It's nearly a foot.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cup is precisely defined in US speak, can't remember what but it is close to .25 litres
    In American baking, a cup is a volume of 8 fluid oz, and a "stick" of butter is a quarter of a pound, as I recall.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

In American baking, a cup is a volume of 8 fluid oz, and a "stick" of butter is a quarter of a pound, as I recall.
    well americans cant bake on the whole have you tasted what they call twinkies
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

On measurements:

What? When did that happen?
    Are you saying an inch is therefore a metric measurement?
    And doesn't that mean a foot, yard and mile have all changed too? Or is a foot no longer exactly 12 inches?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

If you want to avoid that scenario campaign to get Boris out otherwise say goodbye to your inheritance
    Added to a wealth tax, 2nd home tax and reversing the most popular tax policy of this century, Osborne's inheritance tax cut, plus NI rises on average earners Labour would likely be out after a term anyway having failed to get a big majority next time.

Narrowly win again though a la 1992 and the risk is Labour do then get a landslide win at the election after that la 1997 and really are in for definite for a decade or more.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

murali_s said:

How much bigger do you expect Northern Ire.... Oh.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Just got a DVD of Get Carter in the post (proper 1971 one) so gonna watch that now.
    Is Get Carter the film with the barman with the extra finger?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Added to a wealth tax, 2nd home tax and reversing the most popular tax policy of this century, Osborne's inheritance tax cut, plus NI rises on average earners Labour would likely be out after a term anyway
    I wouldn't bet on it
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sky are displaying their spreadsheet updating the numbers wanting Boris to go which is currently 24

If Sky keep referring to this day after day, which they will, it can only be a matter of time to the vonc arriving
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Between the Labour Party and the Conservative Party, which party do Britons associate with the following characteristics:

Advocates for lower taxes?

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

Wow shows how stupid the britons are then....labour a party of lower taxes? When have labour ever lowered taxes in their entire history.
    To be ultra boring and serious, as Tories are the high tax party, in twelve years now highest tax take since bankrupt just after the war, it makes opponents look better on such things. Eg two people, one a convicted murderer the other is obvious the one who doesn’t murder people.

Rather than voters thick, it’s down to governments not to fuck up like this.
    “ since bankrupt just after the war, “

You know I take history seriously, where do you stand on our special friend we have special relationship with across pond, did us no favours after the war, more like vultures picking at the carcass of the British Empire?

I know an bit about US looking to take over Hong Kong, they also stole companies off us to pay our war debt to them. And muscled us out of the Middle East?
    More they kept throwing money at us and we kept pissing it away, trying to hold onto bits of the Empire.
    But they weren’t friendly, they were malicious weren’t they, in mind taking Empire off us.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

The US is huge, we are tiny.
    You said no company is going to make special products in imperial, but they already do make products in imperial for the US market. Allowing them to be sold here doesn't make the UK less competitive.
    Their gallons are different, however.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Added to a wealth tax, 2nd home tax and reversing the most popular tax policy of this century, Osborne's inheritance tax cut, plus NI rises on average earners Labour would likely be out after a term anyway
    I wouldn't bet on it
    It would be as bad a high tax platform as the 1974 to 1979 Wilson government with strikes most likely on top, while having the high inflation of that period which also plagued the Heath government of 1970 to 1974 to cope with too
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    FWIW, here in the US, I now have a small kitchen/postal scale that will switch between ounces and grams -- and a month or so ago I bought a bathroom scale which has a button on the bottom that lets me switch between pounds and stones. (With my clothes on, 12.8, for the curious. I bought it because I would like to lose a half stone.) The scale was made by Taylor instruments, a US company.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    I'll tell you one thing - if the Tories lose the by-election in Tiverton and Honiton, it won't be for lack of supporters trying to keep the seat. Totnes and Torbay alone sent 40 or so foot-soldiers today.

Observations from door-knocking: Boris has clearly lost the Conservatives some support, but less than I might have expected. Only one person raised Neil's porn antics - and they were still voting Conservative. Much of the dissatisfaction is likely to stay home than go across to the LibDems.

I may have had an utterly unrepresentative sample of voters, but would advise not to put your house on a LibDem win.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

I wouldn't bet on it
    It would be as bad a platform as the the 1974 to 1979 Wilson government with strikes most likely on top, while having the high inflation of that period which also plagued the Heath government of 1970 to 1974 to cope with too
    In the meantime your inheritance is under threat

Maybe you need to campaign for a conservative 24 win rather than see Boris as something he isnt
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

You said no company is going to make special products in imperial, but they already do make products in imperial for the US market. Allowing them to be sold here doesn't make the UK less competitive.
    Beer is sold in pints in the UK... It's just labeled as 560 ml (or some such,).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

I wouldn't bet on it
    It would be as bad a high tax platform as the 1974 to 1979 Wilson government with strikes most likely on top, while having the high inflation of that period which also plagued the Heath government of 1970 to 1974 to cope with too
    But hang on.
    It's your government which is taxing higher than Wilson's. Not some fantasy non-existent future Labour one.
    Why aren't you laying into Boris?
    Tory taxes good. That's why.
  • Options

If we were going to adopt US measure that would be one thing. Then we'd be ditching EU measures for US. But no, British imperial is completely different to US imperial.

We won't actually do this. Its the funniest idea since the last desperate lunatic idea.
    Not completely different.

Just different enough to cause real problems.

And whoever invented the fluid ounce should be dug up and shot.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    rcs1000 said:

Given the inflation situation wouldn't now be the ideal moment to introduce a whole new system of measurements so as to confuse people?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

On measurements:

And doesn't that mean a foot, yard and mile have all changed too? Or is a foot no longer exactly 12 inches?
    1960 ish yard became an SI. an inch is 1/36 yards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inch
  • Options

FWIW, here in the US, I now have a small kitchen/postal scale that will switch between ounces and grams -- and a month or so ago I bought a bathroom scale which has a button on the bottom that lets me switch between pounds and stones. (With my clothes on, 12.8, for the curious. I bought it because I would like to lose a half stone.) The scale was made by Taylor instruments, a US company.

Eating less and taking more exercise would be a better way. :)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470

Sky are displaying their spreadsheet updating the numbers wanting Boris to go which is currently 24

If Sky keep referring to this day after day, which they will, it can only be a matter of time to the vonc arriving

There must be at least 10 letters that no-one knows about.
  • Options

I'll tell you one thing - if the Tories lose the by-election in Tiverton and Honiton, it won't be for lack of supporters trying to keep the seat. Totnes and Torbay alone sent 40 or so foot-soldiers today.

Observations from door-knocking: Boris has clearly lost the Conservatives some support, but less than I might have expected. Only one person raised Neil's porn antics - and they were still voting Conservative. Much of the dissatisfaction is likely to stay home than go across to the LibDems.

I may have had an utterly unrepresentative sample of voters, but would advise not to put your house on a LibDem win.

Thanks for the feedback Mark. Did you have a feel for the LD activity? Posters, leaflets, canvassers, activists. Are you getting much help from further afield?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

IshmaelZ said:

Yes, before decimalisation innit.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

On measurements:

1960 ish yard became an SI. an inch is 1/36 yards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inch
    Well thanks. The things you don't know.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Eating less and taking more exercise would be a better way. :)
    Did Heisenberg live in vain? You can change things just by observing them, these days.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Bloody spoiler

My recollection is that of the entire film with drownings, throwings off car parks etc etc the most shocking bit is when he rams someone's head against a car window, and the window isn't anti-shatter.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

He walks into the Victoria Comet opposite Newcastle Station. You can still do that, despite the metric system, but it'll be a damn sight less smoky.
    How about smoking in pubs as a pre-election bribe?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

He walks into the Victoria Comet opposite Newcastle Station. You can still do that, but it'll be a damn sight less smoky.
    Intriguingly, the actual book is set in ... guess
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129

murali_s said:

Or, if Labour are being a bit more creative, they could do most of the above (and more) but cut National Insurance instead. Well past time a Government went in really hard on asset taxes and eased off a bit on wages.
  • Options

Thank you marq. You are a true PB gent.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

I wouldn't bet on it
    But hang on.
    It's your government which is taxing higher than Wilson's. Not some fantasy non-existent future Labour one.
    Sunak has just cut NI for those earning under £35k and the top income tax rate is nowhere near the 90% odd it effectively was under Wilson. IHT is also lower for most voters than when the Tories came in in 2010
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

He walks into the Victoria Comet opposite Newcastle Station. You can still do that, but it'll be a damn sight less smoky.
    Intriguingly, the actual book is set in ... guess
    1970-1?
  • Options
    If the british electorate is sensible they will vote in such a way that no possible coalition can get anything passed and keep doing it for the next twenty years.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

I wouldn't bet on it
    But hang on.
    Sunak has just cut NI for those earning under £35k and the top income tax rate is nowhere near the 90% odd it effectively was under Wilson. IHT is also lower for most voters than when the Tories came in in 2010
    "Wilson". You are having to go back to the ****ing 1970s? Just like Mr Johnson!
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

I suspect he has bigger worries on his mind than immigration being why he cant sleep like all those he murdered in iraq
    Tony Blair enabled Brexit 🙂

“Rather than fear globalisation we should embrace its opportunities”
  • Options
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

I wouldn't bet on it
    It would be as bad a platform as the the 1974 to 1979 Wilson government with strikes most likely on top, while having the high inflation of that period which also plagued the Heath government of 1970 to 1974 to cope with too
    In the meantime your inheritance is under threat

Maybe you need to campaign for a conservative 24 win rather than see Boris as something he isnt
    Any government which reversed Osborne's inheritance tax cut would likely lose, it would be even more unpopular than May's dementia tax.

Better to win or lose with Boris and take the hit in 2024 and if necessary rebuild under a new leader in opposition than scrape a 1992 style win under a new leader and then face landslide defeat a la 1997 at the election after and be out for a generation and with Boris and his supporters as bitter as Thatcher and her supporters were from 1990 to 2005 after her toppling.

Not that there is any evidence an alternative Tory leader would poll any better v Starmer than Boris now anyway
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Enabling brexit was about the only thing he did that was good....sorry if you dont agree but frankly dont care its working well for me
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I don’t know what to make of Get Carter. I know it’s popular now (was it when it came out?)

Tell me what to make of it? Typical of it’s time sexploitation stuff or something more worthy?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I don’t know what to make of Get Carter. I know it’s popular now (was it when it came out?)

Tell me what to make of it? Typical of it’s time sexploitation stuff or something more worthy?
    Wiki is actually quite interesting. Looks as if I need to get hold of it myself.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

rcs1000 said:

Given the inflation situation wouldn't now be the ideal moment to introduce a whole new system of measurements so as to confuse people?
    A Boris of ale?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

You plutocratic bastard, buying bagged bananas. weigh 8 loose bananas next time and see how much money you are spaffing away.
    You buy bananas?

Luxury.

In our house we have the kids steal them, and then we pay them 20 pence in the pound for them for their pocket money.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Arguably the best British gangster film of all time. Watch it tonight. It is probably on Netflix or one of the others, and there is nothing much on telly.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Up north we don’t start a 9! Southern muppets.

Plus we dress up. I got dress on this evening. I saw this film where dirty old man said jeans arn’t for taking off they meant to be on all day so you can sort the cows out.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

He walks into the Victoria Comet opposite Newcastle Station. You can still do that, despite the metric system, but it'll be a damn sight less smoky.
    What's the food like there? The menu looks tempting and it would be convenient for a day out. But if they started smoking again ...
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

He also wrecked the structure of the United Kingdom and transformed the SNP into a major electoral force.

His leadership transpired to be truly transformational - but possibly not in the manner than he intended.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288

IshmaelZ said:

Arguably the best British gangster film of all time. Watch it tonight. It is probably on Netflix or one of the others, and there is nothing much on telly.
    Yup, pretty good. Pretty violent, not very pc, but good.
This discussion has been closed.