Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov MRP poll has CON losing to LAB all but 3 of 88 marginals – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,486
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-bids-jubilee-boost-27090524

EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson bids for Jubilee boost with return of imperial measurements
    Downing Street will hope it shores up support among key Brexiteer voters in battleground seats which Tories are currently in danger of losing

Really got their fingers on public opinion. I don't even understand imperial measurements

I can tell you straight off it's dead easy.

1 acre = 4840 square yards = 1 chain x 10 chains = 1 x 10 cricket pitches.

Can't get any more Brexistentialist, with a nod to John Major and the crack of leather on willow as the maiden aunt cycles past the village green on the way to Evensong (strictly C of E only).
    Of course have to remember an acre made sense as it was the measure of how much land a man could plow in a day when it came about
    With a horse or ox team, yes!

So really one acre is 1 furrow long before the horses get kackered and you have to turn, x 1 cricket pitch. See. @CorrectHorseBattery , it's dead easy!
    Say what you like about old measurements they did have a certain reason behind them whereas metric measurements are largely arbitrary
    You got to remember Pagan, for those born after 1969 (yes I know it’s Heath and 71 but aged 2 your haven’t been thought much else) under 53 don’t know anything else especially in terms of money, so policy like this is not to be taken lightly and joking around like you are doing - rather than give Tories a poll boost they are thinking Boris is a nut for suggesting this. And desperate. A desperate nutcase.

But to answer your question, metric is base ten so very straightforward, what base is imperial using for you to say it’s got clear reasoning and easy to work out?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Really interesting piece on the parallels between slave owning oligarchs in US a couple of hundred years ago and the way the GOP is imposing a heavily armed society on a majority who don't want one. Unreformed Senate is major part of problem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/27/opinion/uvalde-senate-gun-control.html

Its almost too late for meaningful gun control anyway. With torrents of physibles no more than a few clicks away, the manufacture of 3d printed ghost guns gets easier all the time.
    Baby steps. It is not guns that are the problem but people. Specifically people with semi-automatic assault rifles that can't (yet) be 3d-printed. As President Biden said, it is not as if deer are running through the forest in kevlar body armour.
    And within a decade, batteries and capacitors will be up to the job of coilguns with rapid fire.

No parts that need special work - no hammerforged barrels. Ammunition can be a ball bearing. Silent. The whole thing will be 3D printed. No explosives.

They will be coming to the U.K.

https://youtu.be/eAHKS0nVlL4 Is what they can do now. You can build this in a home workshop….
    All this focus on the type of gun, particularly scary "assault rifles" and "AR-15s" misses the crucial point that, if all you want to do is shoot kids at close range, then ANY gun will do. So trying to stop school shootings by restricting ownership of certain ill-defined types of firearms is pointless.

Not really. Limit people to 5 in the magazine, have to work the bolt between shots, sporting rifles, and that really slows you down compared to 100 round AR drums unless possibly you have a sack of prefilled magazines and have practised a fuck of a lot. Which the arse at Uvalde prolly hadn't.

Plenty of stats showing that AR15 type sprees are I think 6x as deadly as their competitors.
    I read on Twitter (disclaimer of responsibility for veracity etc) that the cops in Uvalde found 53 magazines in the school; being able to buy all that without alarm bells going off seems almost as heinous as buying the weapons.

He must have been a strong little fcuker to hump that around.
    You'd think the Americans would have the sense to restrict the 2nd Amendment to weapons that were in use at the time when it was passed. That is, single-shot flintlock muskets and pistols. Now that would really even the balance.
    Isn't there a group on the Supreme Court who are "constitutionalists" (I think that is the term), who argue that the Founding Fathers meant every word and it should be interpreted exactly as written as per the time. So they should be in favour of flintlocks all round.
    A sane view of the 2nd amendment for today's world, whatever was intended, is that it means that countries need armies, sadly, and that therefore any pacifists and Quakers around the place are free to think there shouldn't be a state militia, but but the state can't compel everyone to think so. Read it not as a pro-gun provision but an anti-pacifist one.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

How does that "well regulated" caveat kick in?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GkZL71zAWQ
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    Pagan2 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-bids-jubilee-boost-27090524

EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson bids for Jubilee boost with return of imperial measurements
    Downing Street will hope it shores up support among key Brexiteer voters in battleground seats which Tories are currently in danger of losing

Really got their fingers on public opinion. I don't even understand imperial measurements

Yeah. You may be struggling to pay your bills but you're going to vote Tory because you can now buy a firkin of ale - or could if you had any money.
    I suspect for CHB it would need to be a firkin of shandy and we would still end up carrying him home
    How many rods, poles, perches, chains or furlongs would that be?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Pagan2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Another hint

There’s a lot of UKRAINE flags

Plus you can see their insane script here

Tblisi
    Congrats!

I’m not sure I’ve been to a more immediately appealing city
    Did you take a midnight train to get there?
    Midnight plane from Athens. Arrived dawn. Am knackered but consoling myself with delicious cold Georgian wine at £2 a glass

It’s also absurdly easy to get in. Show your vax status - takes 30 seconds - no visa required. Nothing. You’re in. And you can stay for a year

Also, they are REALLY grateful for our help with Ukraine. There are probably more England flags than Ukrainian
    It's no coincidence that those closest to Russia best understand what's at stake in this war.

Best for the entire world that it ends as quickly as possible, in a Russian defeat.
    Whilst that is correct, there is no way of reaching that endpoint swiftly.

It is a bit like saying we need to eliminate world hunger swiftly by making sure everyone is fed. Well, no-one disputes it, but without a practical means of achieving it, then it is just vapour.

So, as in most problems, it is a trade-off. There is huge damage that is done by the ongoing war (to Ukraine and the wider world, some poor countries will soon be in real food difficulties) and there is huge damage that is done by finding an unpalatable compromise and rewarding the original violence.

The war was far worse than conceding the original plebiscites under Minsk. If Ukraine had lost the plebiscites (arguable, in fact, as @rcs1000 has pointed out), it would at most have lost the whole of the Donbas.

The war will unfortunately end with Ukraine losing all the Donbas and a swathe of southern Ukraine. There is no way that Putin (or any likely successor) will give up the water supply to the Crimea, or the land corridor to the Crimea, or the Crimea itself.

Wars often end with the bad guys winning. Violence is often rewarded. The recent histories of Palestine, Cyprus, Ireland & Tibet show exactly that.

The script for the Ukraine War was not written in Hollywood ...

As @Dura_Ace predicted, the Russian army will grind out a slow, remorseless, destructive victory of sorts.

It ends with a de facto annexation of some of East Ukraine, and destabilisation of the rest of Ukraine.
    Our very own Jeremy Corbyn said on day one that the only certainty was that this war -if it happens -is going to end in a negotiated settlement. 'Why not save thousands of lives and have the negotiation now without the war'. It might sound simplistic but if the Russians prevail it will sound like the most sane thing he has ever said.
    Because, you stupid appeasing c*nt, wherever Russia has taken territory it has raped the women wholesale, tortured and slaughtered many civilians, dragged thousands off to Siberia, and liquidated the intelligentsia.

You cannot ‘negotiate’ with this. You fight
    I am sure atrocities have been committed by the Russian side, but at this point it's impossible to verify most what we're hearing, as it comes from a Ukrainian side desperate for greater Western intervention, reported unquestioningly by a Western media anxious to be supportive.
    Total bollocks, russian forces have form for this long before ukraine, if someone is a serial rapist we take there protestation they are innocent with huge pinches of salt and thats before we look at the fact that a lot of those bodies in mass graves have been shown to have predated the russian retreats.....stop making excuses for evil
    Yes they do - they are brutal, destructive, ignorant invaders. However, there have also been false allegations. It's a horrible situation, but when a Government lies in order to inveigle my country into a potential nuclear conflict, my sympathy evaporates fairly fast.
    There is no evidence ukraine has lied
    Yeah, that Jack Russell really has dug up 200 mines.
    I was talking of course about atrocities not silly propaganda stories like Jack russells or the ghost of kyiv.
    So they'd make up 'silly propaganda stories', but definitely not make up big things that could actually command the news agenda and push the overton window?

We had the maternity hospital attack, in which in transpired that (tragically) three people lost their lives.

We had the theatre attack where there were alleged to be over a thousand buried in the rubble, then it got very vague and mealy mouthed….
    Have you been watching what has happened to Mariupol ?

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m frankly outraged by the accusation that instead of ‘drinking beer in Greece and having sex’ I should ‘fuck off to Donbass and fight’

1. I’m on the wine
    2. I’m in Georgia (the one next to Russia)
    3. I’m not getting much sex
    4. I’m merely pointing out that, given the Russian army’s propensity to rape, torture, kidnap, loot, abduct, and generally lay waste, asking the Ukrainians to negotiate a peace by ceding territory is like asking someone, who is being brutally assaulted, to ‘just let the assault go on for a couple more hours, stop resisting, then everything will be fine once he’s broken a few more bones’

The Ukrainians are going to fight for every inch, so the PB admirers of Russian rape-war hoping - @Luckyguy1983 and @Dura_Ace and @Roger etc - might as well accept they will be disappointed in their hopes for instant Russian victory

You forgot @YBarddCwsc who was the one actually accusing you!

I think he doesn’t care about Russia or Ukraine. He’s just got a sad case of thinking Wales should be independent therefore everything the UK government is bad.
    The pro Russia pimps are a weird bunch. From old lefties like @roger and NPXMP (tho Nick ascribes his carefully curated ambivalence to Russian ancestry) to Welsh Nats and rightwing eccentrics

We have an unexpected couple in our extended family. A hardcore right winger of advanced years who just loves Russian culture to a middle aged conspiracy theorist who simply likes being contrary (I think); as a family we have stopped debating it. Gets too heated
    Actually, all I have done is point out that Russia is grinding out a victory of sorts.

You seem to conflate what I think is going to happen with what I actually want to happen.

Still, let's discuss in 6 months time.

We'll know then who called this right -- and if I am proved wrong, I am sure you will remind me.
    What do you want to happen in Ukraine?
    In an ideal world, the fates of these territories would be decided by free and fair plebiscites, not by guns.

Russia has invaded & there is a bloody war & lots of killing. There are Russians and Ukrainians being killed, probably in roughly equal measure. It is a great tragedy for both Russia and Ukraine (for which Putin bears most of the blame).

The best outcome is for Putin to be deposed and Russia to withdraw.

However, that does not seem to me remotely likely. Even if Putin is deposed, I am pretty unconvinced any successor will withdraw from the conquered territory. Putin is much more likely to be deposed because he has been ineffective in subduing Ukraine, and his successor will be tougher.

Eventually, when enough people have been killed, the two countries will stop fighting.

I want that to happen earlier rather than later. So, I think Corbyn (and NPXMP) are right. We need to think about what final negotiated settlement might actually be possible.

Ultimately, the economic effects of the war will drive everyone to the negotiating table.

And there will be a compromise, because that is how most wars end.

As to the progress of the War, Ukraine have done better than I originally thought. But they are still slowly losing territory, that they are unlikely to get back, IMO.

(As regards Welsh nationalism and Ukraine, I am just amazed at the double standards of most of pb.com. They routinely dismiss the concerns of Welsh language speakers, yet now they now regard the rights of Ukrainian language speakers as something they are willing to die for in the Donbas. Or more accurately ... others to die for while they get drunk and have sex in Georgia).
    If there is a negotiated peace do you think it will stop ukranians being killed, I don't believe so, the ukranians don't believe so. I don't think many western governements believe so though some like germany are willing to turn a blind eye
    I wonder what the advocates of peace now, will make of the inevitable Revanche movement in Ukraine? Inevitable once a peace which involves Russia taking territory, is established.

Will they demand that Ukraine shouldn’t be armed so as not to upset Russia?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Any weights and measures that derive from oxen are subjugation :lol:
  • Options

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Can't get any more Brexistentialist, with a nod to John Major and the crack of leather on willow as the maiden aunt cycles past the village green on the way to Evensong (strictly C of E only).
    Of course have to remember an acre made sense as it was the measure of how much land a man could plow in a day when it came about

So really one acre is 1 furrow long before the horses get kackered and you have to turn, x 1 cricket pitch. See. @CorrectHorseBattery , it's dead easy!
    Say what you like about old measurements they did have a certain reason behind them whereas metric measurements are largely arbitrary
    Except to the ten-digited among us

Are you implying that the Tories are appealing to the, erm, inbred? The ones with 12 fingers?
    ... and 14, 16 or 20 toes?
    Going right back to the earliest land vertebrates in the Devonian? The use of gills would certainly be consistent with that.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Not sure that this premise is entirely correct, but it may not be entirely off base - a lot of things get very small details scrutinised, while big things go through on the nod, see many budgets for many authorities. People focus on what seems manageable.

I don’t wish to sound apocalyptic about this, but one has the sense that at present our society is simultaneously characterized by wildly disproportionate accountability for trivial transgressions and zero accountability for profound institutional failure.
    https://twitter.com/polanskydj/status/1530242120778383360?cxt=HHwWgICw1b3GwbwqAAAA

Well Cressida Dick is a prime example of zero accountability the more she fucks up the more she gets promoted
    Being pedantic, she is an example (one of many) of negative accountability. As you say, the worse she performs the higher sh rises.
    Tbf to Cressida Dick, the police like her and London shootings are well down with no gun murders in six months (ironically, given CD's main claim to infamy) so she must be doing something right.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/25/no-london-shooting-deaths-in-six-months-as-police-stifle-gun-trade
    I believe the reason for gun crime down is the plod / security services across europe bust the major suppliers of weapons to the uk (i think another encrochat victim). Not sure encrochat getting hacked is much to do with Cressida Dick.

Knife crime on the other hand....nobody thinks that is going well in London.
    At a discussion on crime I went to some years ago, a police representative said that the major criminal gangs were fairly well armed, but that they’d kept supply to general criminals down by making it clear they would your anti-terrorism legislation, if required, against people bringing “serious” weapons into the country… things like real AKs from the Balkans.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

100g of water = 100ml of water.

This is alone why metric is clearly superior

A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter......
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    We can go back to imperial measures. Marvellous. And warm beer. Mmmm. Will match the rationing that people are already having to do to pay their leccy bills.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

You got to remember Pagan, for those born after 1969 (yes I know it’s Heath and 71 but aged 2 your haven’t been thought much else) under 53 don’t know anything else especially in terms of money, so policy like this is not to be taken lightly and joking around like you are doing - rather than give Tories a poll boost they are thinking Boris is a nut for suggesting this. And desperate. A desperate nutcase.

But to answer your question, metric is base ten so very straightforward, what base is imperial using for you to say it’s got clear reasoning and easy to work out?
    Old money for example used base 12

1 pound = 20 shillings = 240 pence.

The advantage of this is you got a bill and you could split it easily between 2,3,4,6,8 people

in base ten you can split a bill easily only betwen 2,4,5,10 people

One advantage too it for a start.

Plus not all people exclusively work normally with base 10. Thats just what you have been taught. Children handled old money just fine and possibly were better for it because they didn't think base 10 arithmetic was the be all and end all of life.

In addition I find for example when I goto a checkout a lot of younger people can't even handle base 10. The bill comes to for example 9.87 I hand them 10.37 they dont seem to get they just give me 50 pence back
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

My dear lagomorphous colleague, what election audience/cosntituency is Mr Johnson going to be most dependent on, very, very soon? The Tory Party members. That's what. Not you (I presume). Or me. Or CHB, who is quite understandably completely bewildered by it.

And many of them are older than I, and absolutely convinced that decimal currency and the metric system started the rot
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Another hint

There’s a lot of UKRAINE flags

Plus you can see their insane script here

Tblisi
    Congrats!

I’m not sure I’ve been to a more immediately appealing city
    Did you take a midnight train to get there?
    Midnight plane from Athens. Arrived dawn. Am knackered but consoling myself with delicious cold Georgian wine at £2 a glass

It’s also absurdly easy to get in. Show your vax status - takes 30 seconds - no visa required. Nothing. You’re in. And you can stay for a year

Also, they are REALLY grateful for our help with Ukraine. There are probably more England flags than Ukrainian
    It's no coincidence that those closest to Russia best understand what's at stake in this war.

Best for the entire world that it ends as quickly as possible, in a Russian defeat.
    Whilst that is correct, there is no way of reaching that endpoint swiftly.

It is a bit like saying we need to eliminate world hunger swiftly by making sure everyone is fed. Well, no-one disputes it, but without a practical means of achieving it, then it is just vapour.

So, as in most problems, it is a trade-off. There is huge damage that is done by the ongoing war (to Ukraine and the wider world, some poor countries will soon be in real food difficulties) and there is huge damage that is done by finding an unpalatable compromise and rewarding the original violence.

The war was far worse than conceding the original plebiscites under Minsk. If Ukraine had lost the plebiscites (arguable, in fact, as @rcs1000 has pointed out), it would at most have lost the whole of the Donbas.

The war will unfortunately end with Ukraine losing all the Donbas and a swathe of southern Ukraine. There is no way that Putin (or any likely successor) will give up the water supply to the Crimea, or the land corridor to the Crimea, or the Crimea itself.

Wars often end with the bad guys winning. Violence is often rewarded. The recent histories of Palestine, Cyprus, Ireland & Tibet show exactly that.

The script for the Ukraine War was not written in Hollywood ...

As @Dura_Ace predicted, the Russian army will grind out a slow, remorseless, destructive victory of sorts.

It ends with a de facto annexation of some of East Ukraine, and destabilisation of the rest of Ukraine.
    Our very own Jeremy Corbyn said on day one that the only certainty was that this war -if it happens -is going to end in a negotiated settlement. 'Why not save thousands of lives and have the negotiation now without the war'. It might sound simplistic but if the Russians prevail it will sound like the most sane thing he has ever said.
    Because, you stupid appeasing c*nt, wherever Russia has taken territory it has raped the women wholesale, tortured and slaughtered many civilians, dragged thousands off to Siberia, and liquidated the intelligentsia.

You cannot ‘negotiate’ with this. You fight
    I am sure atrocities have been committed by the Russian side, but at this point it's impossible to verify most what we're hearing, as it comes from a Ukrainian side desperate for greater Western intervention, reported unquestioningly by a Western media anxious to be supportive.
    Total bollocks, russian forces have form for this long before ukraine, if someone is a serial rapist we take there protestation they are innocent with huge pinches of salt and thats before we look at the fact that a lot of those bodies in mass graves have been shown to have predated the russian retreats.....stop making excuses for evil
    Yes they do - they are brutal, destructive, ignorant invaders. However, there have also been false allegations. It's a horrible situation, but when a Government lies in order to inveigle my country into a potential nuclear conflict, my sympathy evaporates fairly fast.
    There is no evidence ukraine has lied
    Yeah, that Jack Russell really has dug up 200 mines.
    Sure… and Russia hasn’t levelled a couple of major cities and several dozen towns.

@Luckyguy1983 ’s both sides-ism is a load of baloney.
    Asymmetrical innit? Invaders always atrocify more than invadees for obv reasons. Plus, They started it is sometimes portrayed as a playground argument but it seems spot on to me, happy to give the Ukes any amount of leeway.

But nobody is immune from savagery, and we have a good example from the Russians about When invadees become invaders.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m frankly outraged by the accusation that instead of ‘drinking beer in Greece and having sex’ I should ‘fuck off to Donbass and fight’

1. I’m on the wine
    2. I’m in Georgia (the one next to Russia)
    3. I’m not getting much sex
    4. I’m merely pointing out that, given the Russian army’s propensity to rape, torture, kidnap, loot, abduct, and generally lay waste, asking the Ukrainians to negotiate a peace by ceding territory is like asking someone, who is being brutally assaulted, to ‘just let the assault go on for a couple more hours, stop resisting, then everything will be fine once he’s broken a few more bones’

The Ukrainians are going to fight for every inch, so the PB admirers of Russian rape-war hoping - @Luckyguy1983 and @Dura_Ace and @Roger etc - might as well accept they will be disappointed in their hopes for instant Russian victory

You forgot @YBarddCwsc who was the one actually accusing you!

I think he doesn’t care about Russia or Ukraine. He’s just got a sad case of thinking Wales should be independent therefore everything the UK government is bad.
    The pro Russia pimps are a weird bunch. From old lefties like @roger and NPXMP (tho Nick ascribes his carefully curated ambivalence to Russian ancestry) to Welsh Nats and rightwing eccentrics

We have an unexpected couple in our extended family. A hardcore right winger of advanced years who just loves Russian culture to a middle aged conspiracy theorist who simply likes being contrary (I think); as a family we have stopped debating it. Gets too heated
    Actually, all I have done is point out that Russia is grinding out a victory of sorts.

You seem to conflate what I think is going to happen with what I actually want to happen.

Still, let's discuss in 6 months time.

We'll know then who called this right -- and if I am proved wrong, I am sure you will remind me.
    What do you want to happen in Ukraine?
    In an ideal world, the fates of these territories would be decided by free and fair plebiscites, not by guns.

Russia has invaded & there is a bloody war & lots of killing. There are Russians and Ukrainians being killed, probably in roughly equal measure. It is a great tragedy for both Russia and Ukraine (for which Putin bears most of the blame).

The best outcome is for Putin to be deposed and Russia to withdraw.

However, that does not seem to me remotely likely. Even if Putin is deposed, I am pretty unconvinced any successor will withdraw from the conquered territory. Putin is much more likely to be deposed because he has been ineffective in subduing Ukraine, and his successor will be tougher.

Eventually, when enough people have been killed, the two countries will stop fighting.

I want that to happen earlier rather than later. So, I think Corbyn (and NPXMP) are right. We need to think about what final negotiated settlement might actually be possible.

Ultimately, the economic effects of the war will drive everyone to the negotiating table.

And there will be a compromise, because that is how most wars end.

As to the progress of the War, Ukraine have done better than I originally thought. But they are still slowly losing territory, that they are unlikely to get back, IMO.

(As regards Welsh nationalism and Ukraine, I am just amazed at the double standards of most of pb.com. They routinely dismiss the concerns of Welsh language speakers, yet now they now regard the rights of Ukrainian language speakers as something they are willing to die for in the Donbas. Or more accurately ... others to die for while they get drunk and have sex in Georgia).
    If there is a negotiated peace do you think it will stop ukranians being killed, I don't believe so, the ukranians don't believe so. I don't think many western governements believe so though some like germany are willing to turn a blind eye
    I am not sure there are good options for Ukraine, there are just different shades of bad options.
    For ukranians the worst option is to stop resisting in their minds I suspect. They don't want to surrender to a regime that will rape their mothers and daughters, murder sons and husbands and abduct their children on a whim. I wouldn't want to surrender to such a regime either I suspect neither would you.
    YBarrdcwsc thinks it's all about the rights of the Ukrainian language - hence his comparison with Wales.
    It is Y Bardd Cwsc not Y Barrd Cwsc

I am sure you get Chicken Kyiv right, thus neatly proving my point.

(Cwsc is archaic for Cwsg, I have been sleeping for a long time :) )
  • Options
    I think we should go back to the Julian Calendar. Modern dates for a Modern Britain.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2022

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Not sure that this premise is entirely correct, but it may not be entirely off base - a lot of things get very small details scrutinised, while big things go through on the nod, see many budgets for many authorities. People focus on what seems manageable.

I don’t wish to sound apocalyptic about this, but one has the sense that at present our society is simultaneously characterized by wildly disproportionate accountability for trivial transgressions and zero accountability for profound institutional failure.
    https://twitter.com/polanskydj/status/1530242120778383360?cxt=HHwWgICw1b3GwbwqAAAA

Well Cressida Dick is a prime example of zero accountability the more she fucks up the more she gets promoted
    Being pedantic, she is an example (one of many) of negative accountability. As you say, the worse she performs the higher sh rises.
    Tbf to Cressida Dick, the police like her and London shootings are well down with no gun murders in six months (ironically, given CD's main claim to infamy) so she must be doing something right.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/25/no-london-shooting-deaths-in-six-months-as-police-stifle-gun-trade
    I believe the reason for gun crime down is the plod / security services across europe bust the major suppliers of weapons to the uk (i think another encrochat victim). Not sure encrochat getting hacked is much to do with Cressida Dick.

At a discussion on crime I went to some years ago, a police representative said that the major criminal gangs were fairly well armed, but that they’d kept supply to general criminals down by making it clear they would your anti-terrorism legislation, if required, against people bringing “serious” weapons into the country… things like real AKs from the Balkans.
    The UK authorities have always been much stronger in regards to guns, but the encrochat hack has been a huge disruptor though....this just a sample of the past 2 years, and just the British end. Encrochat (and the other 2-3 comprised systems) obviously gave the authorities worldwide a good window into the organised crime and their gun connections.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseysides-underworld-gun-factories-brought-18612559

https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/seven-men-jailed-after-military-grade-weapons-recovered-in-encrochat-probe

https://news.sky.com/story/encrochat-man-charged-with-drugs-and-firearms-offences-after-massive-criminal-network-bust-12020717

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/19783881.encrochat-pair-jailed-29-years-gun-drugs-offences/
  • Options
    Y Bardd Cwsc not Y Barrd Cwsc

what am I missing they look the same?
  • Options

And a fl oz is an oz, approx

Also

Two and a quarter pounds of ham
    Weighs about a kilogram
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

This looks like a case of Marxism Derangement Syndrome. Does anyone have any deeper insight as to why so many "outstanding" teacher training courses are failing the new accreditation scheme?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/may/28/government-pushing-universities-out-of-teacher-training-over-leftwing-politics-say-leaders

Because although they are the most effective way of training teachers they're also expensive. So the government wants to replace them with on the job training in schools instead which is (a) considerably cheaper and (b) for all their bleatings, masks the fact that rather a lot of vacancies are proving difficult to fill at the moment.

It's the same reason they're grading all schools designed to help those with really complex SEND as 4 so they get closed and the pupils transferred to mainstream schools.

Which is, to reduce it to its essentials, why I literally had to get a child off the roof yesterday afternoon.
    I am always curious about teaching Physics, but stories of paperwork, low pay, cheap babysitting and riot control do tend to put you off sharing the wonders of Ohm’s law.
    There's plenty of Brownian, well, brown motion involved in teaching right now.
    More so than usual? Teachers have always had a raw deal.

The pay is criminally low compared to the impact, responsibility and qualifications required. 24k to teach Physics, doesn’t look quite so generous when you have to pay 9k fees.
    The average full time equivalent salary for teachers is £40k, compared to the UK average salary of £31k

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/teachers-pay/
    So what? If you want to attract experienced professionals to Physics teachers you need to pay more than 24k minus fees. Anyway, £40k is not a lot compared to what they have to do. Teachers are professionals equivalent to lawyers and doctors.
    The average lawyer and doctor went to a Russell Group university, the average state school teacher did not unless they teach in a top private school or grammar school or absolutely top comprehensive or academy or free school.

Alternatively you could have performance related pay so the teachers who could the best exam results in the school get the most and bonuses and the teachers who get the worst results get a pay cut
    Several questions.

1 As conservatives, we believe in the free market, right? If recruitment is a problem, you have to improve pay and conditions. You may begrudge that, you may think you shouldn't have to pay more for teachers to work in classrooms, but you can't buck the market.

2 Shouldn't we want more highly educated people in schools, where there's a huge multiplier effect?

3 The Aaron Bell question. People who go to top universities, then go and teach in bog standard comps. There are more of them than you think. Are they mugs?
    Why should teachers be paid more for doing no extra when most of them did not have as good grades as doctors and lawyers did at school outside the absolutely top schools?

If they want to be paid more they can have performance related pay
    Because if the government doesn't do something about the pay/conditions balance for teachers, there won't be enough teachers left to stand in front of classes. They will go and do other things instead. Supply and demand. It's really not difficult.

And to repeat the Aaron Bell question. Are well-qualified teachers mugs? It feels like it sometimes.
    And pay shouldn’t under any circumstances be related to one’s A level grades.
    OK then, if you really want top private sector level pay for teachers then you can have performance related pay, plus an end to the long holidays teachers get and an end to final salary pensions and also a system which makes it easier to sack poorly performing teachers too
    I expect you say that to every teacher in Epping. And about the Epping teachers to everyone else in Epping, of whom there are enough fools to believe you.
    If you work for Goldman Sachs say yes you earn a lot and if you perform well you get big bonuses.

However if you are in the bottom 10% or so each year you get sacked. If you really want high salaries for the best teachers you could have a similar system
    You’re now descending (further) into self satire.
    That’s not even a decent model for banking.
    It is a model for high pay for top performers, which was the point
    A bad one.
    Which is the point you don’t get.
    So teachers can't complain about not being very highly paid then. They will stick to pay largely based on seniority not performance and bonuses for the best and pay cuts and sackings for the worst
    Is it a tricky question or no brainier for West to supply the sort of range heavy guns that can go 300 miles and allow them to blast Russia territory, towns and cities?

If you care about stopping Putin winning his colonial war, care and properly stand with the innocent Ukrainians you surely have no choice but to give Ukraine the weapons to strike deep and hard inside Russia?
    If you want 300 miles of range, that’s ballistic missiles (or cruise missiles), not guns.

The West doesn’t go for short range ballistic missiles, in general.
    There’s quite a few of these things out there:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M270_Multiple_Launch_Rocket_System

Which strike the balance between sufficient range to counter and outrange Russian batteries, and not too much to directly threaten Russia.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Y Bardd Cwsc not Y Barrd Cwsc

what am I missing they look the same?

One sounds like the English bath prounced by a Scot, the other like sonething you don't like to hear in a pub.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

And a fl oz is an oz, approx

Also

Two and a quarter pounds of ham
    Weighs about a kilogram
    Bacon always has a value of yum
    (unless you are ed milibrand in which case it has a value of facepalm)
  • Options
    How about some other traditions like the workhouse and reintroducing feudal lords? I think Bonzo has already being doing research on that one, the lordly right to shag whatever you want.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited May 2022
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

The advantage of this is you got a bill and you could split it easily between 2,3,4,6,8 people

Plus not all people exclusively work normally with base 10. Thats just what you have been taught. Children handled old money just fine and possibly were better for it because they didn't think base 10 arithmetic was the be all and end all of life.

In addition I find for example when I goto a checkout a lot of younger people can't even handle base 10. The bill comes to for example 9.87 I hand them 10.37 they dont seem to get they just give me 50 pence back
    You hand the person on the checkout £10.37.

So you're the f#cker holding everyone up. How long does it take to count that out and who has £10.37 on them these days anyway.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    It is just about screaming the sneering supremacy of the old over the young, backed by the rage against mortality of the biggest age cohort ever.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

So you're the f#cker holding everyone up. How long does it take to count that out and who has £10.37 on them these days.
    I have a 10£ note and some loose change the bill is 9.87....regardless of what I proffer they are going to have to add it up on the till
    and yes I pay cash at supermarkets sorry not sorry
  • Options

How about some other traditions like the workhouse and reintroducing feudal lords? I think Bonzo has already being doing research on that one, the lordly right to shag whatever you want.

Droit de seigneur is the one you want.

Also Speenhamland System, for what you were talking about earlier today; that was a bit later, but not so much later if one believes T. Hardy on Dorset rustic life, e.g. Tess of the d'Us.

[Useless trivia of the day: the d'Urberville farm is the fine place next to the river bridge over the Piddle as one walks from the railway station at Wool to the Tank Museum.]

*goes off to finish the extremely tedious decluttering I am supposed to be doing, after checking there is some white in the fridge*

• Options
    Genuinely, I haven't carried cash in about 10 years.

Apple Pay all the way
  • Options
    EPG said:

It is just about screaming the sneering supremacy of the old over the young, backed by the rage against mortality of the biggest age cohort ever.

Youth is wasted on the young its true
  • Options

Genuinely, I haven't carried cash in about 10 years.

Apple Pay all the way

Whats cash?
  • Options
    Between the Labour Party and the Conservative Party, which party do Britons associate with the following characteristics:

Advocates for lower taxes?

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

EPG said:

Youth is wasted on the young its true
    but know one is sneering here at the young rather we are saying they have been badly educated and that it down to us not them
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

So you're the f#cker holding everyone up. How long does it take to count that out and who has £10.37 on them these days.
    I have a 10£ note and some loose change the bill is 9.87....regardless of what I proffer they are going to have to add it up on the till
    and yes I pay cash at supermarkets sorry not sorry
    At the supermarket I scan the items on my smartphone and I can pay in thirty seconds.
  • Options

Between the Labour Party and the Conservative Party, which party do Britons associate with the following characteristics:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

Wow shows how stupid the britons are then....labour a party of lower taxes? When have labour ever lowered taxes in their entire history.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

Wow shows how stupid the britons are then....labour a party of lower taxes? When have labour ever lowered taxes in their entire history.
    You realise here your tweet basically says rejoice britons are thick?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

That's more likely to be "not very good at mental arithmetic". It's sad really, most school students jump to the calculator straight away. Mind you, if they are checkout operators they are actually operating enormous calculators anyway.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Chill, mate. None of us asked to be born when we were, let alone to age beyond about 25, and some of us have spawned a number of Little Uns which obliges us to at least fake some kind of concern for younger generations. Nor did we ask for the conservative party we have or the policies it has. If you don't like them, GET OUT AND VOTE. YOU AND YOUR COHORT.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,592
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Really interesting piece on the parallels between slave owning oligarchs in US a couple of hundred years ago and the way the GOP is imposing a heavily armed society on a majority who don't want one. Unreformed Senate is major part of problem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/27/opinion/uvalde-senate-gun-control.html

Its almost too late for meaningful gun control anyway. With torrents of physibles no more than a few clicks away, the manufacture of 3d printed ghost guns gets easier all the time.
    Baby steps. It is not guns that are the problem but people. Specifically people with semi-automatic assault rifles that can't (yet) be 3d-printed. As President Biden said, it is not as if deer are running through the forest in kevlar body armour.
    And within a decade, batteries and capacitors will be up to the job of coilguns with rapid fire.

No parts that need special work - no hammerforged barrels. Ammunition can be a ball bearing. Silent. The whole thing will be 3D printed. No explosives.

They will be coming to the U.K.

https://youtu.be/eAHKS0nVlL4 Is what they can do now. You can build this in a home workshop….
    All this focus on the type of gun, particularly scary "assault rifles" and "AR-15s" misses the crucial point that, if all you want to do is shoot kids at close range, then ANY gun will do. So trying to stop school shootings by restricting ownership of certain ill-defined types of firearms is pointless.

Not really. Limit people to 5 in the magazine, have to work the bolt between shots, sporting rifles, and that really slows you down compared to 100 round AR drums unless possibly you have a sack of prefilled magazines and have practised a fuck of a lot. Which the arse at Uvalde prolly hadn't.

Plenty of stats showing that AR15 type sprees are I think 6x as deadly as their competitors.
    I read on Twitter (disclaimer of responsibility for veracity etc) that the cops in Uvalde found 53 magazines in the school; being able to buy all that without alarm bells going off seems almost as heinous as buying the weapons.

He must have been a strong little fcuker to hump that around.
    You'd think the Americans would have the sense to restrict the 2nd Amendment to weapons that were in use at the time when it was passed. That is, single-shot flintlock muskets and pistols. Now that would really even the balance.
    Isn't there a group on the Supreme Court who are "constitutionalists" (I think that is the term), who argue that the Founding Fathers meant every word and it should be interpreted exactly as written as per the time. So they should be in favour of flintlocks all round.
    A sane view of the 2nd amendment for today's world, whatever was intended, is that it means that countries need armies, sadly, and that therefore any pacifists and Quakers around the place are free to think there shouldn't be a state militia, but but the state can't compel everyone to think so. Read it not as a pro-gun provision but an anti-pacifist one.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

How does that "well regulated" caveat kick in?
    Fair point. However the amendment is unlikely to say: "A badly run militia, being necessary to the security......".

And the first phrase of the sentence has a good deal of abstract truth in it. It is not a promise about how brilliantly the free state is going to function. It just says that since we are going to have an army, no law shall be passed compelling, as opposed to allowing, pacifism. Because it stops the militia bearing arms.

• Options
    Pagan2 said:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

I feel like your default state is that everyone is thicker than you.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

This looks like a case of Marxism Derangement Syndrome. Does anyone have any deeper insight as to why so many "outstanding" teacher training courses are failing the new accreditation scheme?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/may/28/government-pushing-universities-out-of-teacher-training-over-leftwing-politics-say-leaders

Because although they are the most effective way of training teachers they're also expensive. So the government wants to replace them with on the job training in schools instead which is (a) considerably cheaper and (b) for all their bleatings, masks the fact that rather a lot of vacancies are proving difficult to fill at the moment.

It's the same reason they're grading all schools designed to help those with really complex SEND as 4 so they get closed and the pupils transferred to mainstream schools.

Which is, to reduce it to its essentials, why I literally had to get a child off the roof yesterday afternoon.
    I am always curious about teaching Physics, but stories of paperwork, low pay, cheap babysitting and riot control do tend to put you off sharing the wonders of Ohm’s law.
    There's plenty of Brownian, well, brown motion involved in teaching right now.
    More so than usual? Teachers have always had a raw deal.

The pay is criminally low compared to the impact, responsibility and qualifications required. 24k to teach Physics, doesn’t look quite so generous when you have to pay 9k fees.
    The average full time equivalent salary for teachers is £40k, compared to the UK average salary of £31k

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/teachers-pay/
    So what? If you want to attract experienced professionals to Physics teachers you need to pay more than 24k minus fees. Anyway, £40k is not a lot compared to what they have to do. Teachers are professionals equivalent to lawyers and doctors.
    The average lawyer and doctor went to a Russell Group university, the average state school teacher did not unless they teach in a top private school or grammar school or absolutely top comprehensive or academy or free school.

Alternatively you could have performance related pay so the teachers who could the best exam results in the school get the most and bonuses and the teachers who get the worst results get a pay cut
    Several questions.

1 As conservatives, we believe in the free market, right? If recruitment is a problem, you have to improve pay and conditions. You may begrudge that, you may think you shouldn't have to pay more for teachers to work in classrooms, but you can't buck the market.

2 Shouldn't we want more highly educated people in schools, where there's a huge multiplier effect?

3 The Aaron Bell question. People who go to top universities, then go and teach in bog standard comps. There are more of them than you think. Are they mugs?
    Why should teachers be paid more for doing no extra when most of them did not have as good grades as doctors and lawyers did at school outside the absolutely top schools?

If they want to be paid more they can have performance related pay
    Because if the government doesn't do something about the pay/conditions balance for teachers, there won't be enough teachers left to stand in front of classes. They will go and do other things instead. Supply and demand. It's really not difficult.

And to repeat the Aaron Bell question. Are well-qualified teachers mugs? It feels like it sometimes.
    And pay shouldn’t under any circumstances be related to one’s A level grades.
    OK then, if you really want top private sector level pay for teachers then you can have performance related pay, plus an end to the long holidays teachers get and an end to final salary pensions and also a system which makes it easier to sack poorly performing teachers too
    I expect you say that to every teacher in Epping. And about the Epping teachers to everyone else in Epping, of whom there are enough fools to believe you.
    If you work for Goldman Sachs say yes you earn a lot and if you perform well you get big bonuses.

However if you are in the bottom 10% or so each year you get sacked. If you really want high salaries for the best teachers you could have a similar system
    You’re now descending (further) into self satire.
    That’s not even a decent model for banking.
    It is a model for high pay for top performers, which was the point
    A bad one.
    Which is the point you don’t get.
    So teachers can't complain about not being very highly paid then. They will stick to pay largely based on seniority not performance and bonuses for the best and pay cuts and sackings for the worst
    Is it a tricky question or no brainier for West to supply the sort of range heavy guns that can go 300 miles and allow them to blast Russia territory, towns and cities?

If you care about stopping Putin winning his colonial war, care and properly stand with the innocent Ukrainians you surely have no choice but to give Ukraine the weapons to strike deep and hard inside Russia?
    If you want 300 miles of range, that’s ballistic missiles (or cruise missiles), not guns.

The West doesn’t go for short range ballistic missiles, in general.
    There’s quite a few of these things out there:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M270_Multiple_Launch_Rocket_System

Which strike the balance between sufficient range to counter and outrange Russian batteries, and not too much to directly threaten Russia.
    Death of Grid Squares is quite a bit shorter in range than 300km - unless you are talking about giving Ukraine ATACMS. That would make Germany and a few others squeak…
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

My dear lagomorphous colleague, what election audience/cosntituency is Mr Johnson going to be most dependent on, very, very soon? The Tory Party members. That's what. Not you (I presume). Or me. Or CHB, who is quite understandably completely bewildered by it.

And many of them are older than I, and absolutely convinced that decimal currency and the metric system started the rot
    Maybe it’s a lagomorphic thing then because I think it’s bonkers. Especially bonkers if you’ve just pissed off John Redwood with a ultra socialist windfall tax because your so shit in explaining why it’s counterproductive right now, this shit could possibly placate such people not to ditch an obvious loser in timely fashion.

Although I love my Dad I will tell him the party he has supported all his life is currently making it difficult for anyone under 50 to relate to them.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    In a sign of hope for Ukraine Russia is increasing the age limit for people signing their first military contract from 40 to 50.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1530503382821126144?s=20&t=i9DAk-o1C6AI3e6rw94MoQ

Their confidence isn't based on nothing.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

That's more likely to be "not very good at mental arithmetic". It's sad really, most school students jump to the calculator straight away. Mind you, if they are checkout operators they are actually operating enormous calculators anyway.
    It is probably not even they arent very good at it, its merely never having to have done it at thats the fault of an older generation. I know I will get jumped on and people will say why the hell do they need it and what use it....simple answer is you dont always need to work out the exact answer mentally but it shows you when things are a factor of 10 out pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

You seem to be, ahem, not abreast of current affairs. Can you name the current CotE?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

In a sign of hope for Ukraine Russia is increasing the age limit for people signing their first military contract from 40 to 50.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1530503382821126144?s=20&t=i9DAk-o1C6AI3e6rw94MoQ

Russian (Grand)Dads Army....
  • Options
    Nobody actually yet pointed out what is wrong with metric measurements, still waiting on that
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

You seem to be, ahem, not abreast of current affairs. Can you name the current CotE?
    It's that McDonnell bloke isn't it
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    edited May 2022

pigeon said:

We'll know they're getting really desperate/crazed/both when they decide to bring back the old money as well.
    Imperial units made about as much sense as Brexit itself.
    Brexit has hit this country financially, using Imperial units should continue that direction.
    Does anyone believe it will give Boris a boost?
    I'm starting to think Boris is becoming unhinged. Whatever you think of the Red Wall motivation for Brexit - a base hatred of the alien or a noble longing for sovereignty - surely no one sane thinks a return to imperial measurements was part of the calculation. Boris is starting to think that he has some profound insight into the mind of the masses when he clearly doesn't have a clue. That's dangerous.
  • Options
    Do Britons most associate the current Conservative Party with raising taxes, lowering taxes, or neither?

Raising taxes 52%
    Lowering taxes 18%

Majorities of 2019 Labour voters (61%) and 2019 Lib Dem voters (71%) associate the current Conservative Party with raising taxes.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

I can its rishi sunak, however what does that have to do with what I said. Yes conservatives are raising taxes currently. Something I think bad however what I said was labour wont be a party of lower taxes and in the unlikely event of sks actually being next prime minister at best he will keep income tax and ni the same....he certainly wont lower them. Point me at a labour governement that actually lowered taxes compared to when they entered government.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,416
    Today I learned… for a brief golden period after 1918, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan were three independent, democratic, parliamentary republics, under British suzerainty

It could all have been so different
  • Options

pigeon said:

We'll know they're getting really desperate/crazed/both when they decide to bring back the old money as well.
    Brexit has hit this country financially, using Imperial units should continue that direction.
    I'm starting to think Boris is becoming a unhinged. Whatever you think of the Red Wall motivation for Brexit - a base hatred of the alien or a noble longing for sovereignty - surely no one sane thinks a return to imperial measurements was part of the calculation. Boris is starting to think that he has some profound insight into the mind of the masses when he clearly doesn't have a clue. That's dangerous.
    Whilst I did not and do not support Brexit, I can see why people in the Red Wall voted for it.

But I am convinced it was not because they wanted to bring back imperial measurements
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

I know someone who did that. Got 10 years.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

Appears to be John McDonnell
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

pigeon said:

I'm starting to think Boris is becoming unhinged. Whatever you think of the Red Wall motivation for Brexit - a base hatred of the alien or a noble longing for sovereignty - surely no one sane thinks a return to imperial measurements was part of the calculation. Boris is starting to think that he has some profound insight into the mind of the masses when he clearly doesn't have a clue. That's dangerous.
    If you want a viewing of mainly unhinged people, you only have to come on this website and get people speaking about Brexit /Trump / Trans issues. Usually works a treat.
  • Options
    Imperial measurements are just another way to make the UK a less competitive place to do business.

No company is going to make special products in imperial.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

To be ultra boring and serious, as Tories are the high tax party, in twelve years now highest tax take since bankrupt just after the war, it makes opponents look better on such things. Eg two people, one a convicted murderer the other is obvious the one who doesn’t murder people.

Rather than voters thick, it’s down to governments not to fuck up like this.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Guns are easy to get in the uk frankly I know someone I could ask and get a non repurposed from replica pistol with ammo in about a couple of hours
  • Options
    edited May 2022

pigeon said:

I think he has an excellent understanding of the minbds of the *members of the Tory Party* on whose votes he will shortly be dependent very soon.

As for the rest of the population, and anyone under about my age, just look at the reactions of CHB and Moon Rabbit.

*popped back in after fetching some blackcurrant beer ... off to get on with tidying*
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

pigeon said:

63% of Tory voters and 64% of Leave voters backed plans to make it legal for shops to sell only in imperial measurements

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/09/17/eded5/3
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,113

Imperial measurements are just another way to make the UK a less competitive place to do business.

Have you ever been to the US?
  • Options
    edited May 2022

You are probably getting close to why business friendly Tory Heath modernised UK in the first place. Apologies for the bad language, I am in sunshine getting drunk, Leon style.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Russian (Grand)Dads Army....
    Maybe they can operate those T-62s coming out of service. Waiting for @Dura_Ace and others to tell us how this is a sign Russia is winning.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

You seem very excitable about this total nothing burger from Boris (and something he drops announcement of regularly). All it allows is people can sell stuff in purely Imperial measures if they want. Virtually business will do so, the odd market trader who flogs fruits / veg.

Its not worth discussing one way or another.
  • Options

The US is huge, we are tiny.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Maybe it’s a lagomorphic thing then because I think it’s bonkers. Especially bonkers if you’ve just pissed off John Redwood with a ultra socialist windfall tax because your so shit in explaining why it’s counterproductive right now, this shit could possibly placate such people not to ditch an obvious loser in timely fashion.

Although I love my Dad I will tell him the party he has supported all his life is currently making it difficult for anyone under 50 to relate to them.
    No, you are quite right, it is insane in any other terms than those of the Party members.
  • Options

You seem very excitable about this total nothing burger from Boris (and something he dropped regularly). All it allows is people can sell stuff in purely Imperial measures if they want. Virtually nobody will do so.
    I'm questioning why when there's a CoL crisis, this is what the Government have decided to think about.

It is representative of the fact that they are out of ideas. And as a Tory (I think?) the fact you don't seem to care or understand, shows why you need some time out of Government so you can make the country proud again.

I used to believe in the institution of the Tory Party. I do not anymore.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,592

Nobody actually yet pointed out what is wrong with metric measurements, still waiting on that

Nothing at all. But as David Hume points out all things are guided by custom. So, I use all sorts of metric stuff but still think in gallons and miles when it comes to cars. I don't suppose I am alone.

• Options

You said no company is going to make special products in imperial, but they already do make products in imperial for the US market. Allowing them to be sold here doesn't make the UK less competitive.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

63% of Tory voters and 64% of Leave voters backed plans to make it legal for shops to sell only in imperial measurements

Mad and also distinctly un English since the law is supposed to define what you are not allowed to do not what you are. Hopefully phrased differently the question would get a different answer.

Thankfully Johnson's plan is only to 'allow' people to sell in imperial measures. Frankly a trifle change and not one we should get worked up about. The ministerial code however.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

Just proves how insane they are. I do not look forward to the laws making it compulsory to wear woad and provide yourt daughters to the lord of the manor for service of all kinds.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    edited May 2022

Do Britons most associate the current Conservative Party with raising taxes, lowering taxes, or neither?

Raising taxes 52%
    Lowering taxes 18%

Majorities of 2019 Labour voters (61%) and 2019 Lib Dem voters (71%) associate the current Conservative Party with raising taxes.

What are the figures for Labour?

Edit - just seen that posted below.

Blimey.
  • Options

You said no company is going to make special products in imperial, but they already do make products in imperial for the US market. Allowing them to be sold here doesn't make the UK less competitive.
    They aren't. Because there's no reason to when the UK is small.

The US is large.

We are not going to start having screws sold to us in imperial.
  • Options

You seem very excitable about this total nothing burger from Boris (and something he dropped regularly). All it allows is people can sell stuff in purely Imperial measures if they want. Virtually nobody will do so.
    I'm questioning why when there's a CoL crisis, this is what the Government have decided to think about.

It is representative of the fact that they are out of ideas. And as a Tory (I think?) the fact you don't seem to care or understand, shows why you need some time out of Government so you can make the country proud again.

But sadly we know SKS has no ideas how to solve the COL crisis either
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,345
    Looks as if Boris could be facing a vonc very soon

Fingers crossed

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1530565729988366337?t=yXQqMkCqYKkZIW5YgrWLJQ&s=19
  • Options
    I can just about understand having the option to sell in metric or imperial, I'd be happy with shops showing both.

But ONLY showing imperial? Half of the population wouldn't know what on Earth was going on. This is genuinely insane.
  • Options

The US is large.

The UK isn't that small.

If you think the market will vote for metric, what are you worried about?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

He proposed a windfall tax three months ago. The Tories just stole it, so you think that's a good idea or not?
  • Options

If we were going to adopt US measure that would be one thing. Then we'd be ditching EU measures for US. But no, British imperial is completely different to US imperial.

We won't actually do this. Its the funniest idea since the last desperate lunatic idea.
  • Options

The US is large.

The UK isn't that small.

If you think the market will vote for metric, what are you worried about?
    The UK is tiny. I love this country - but we are miniscule.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

Mad and also distinctly un English since the law is supposed to define what you are not allowed to do not what you are. Hopefully phrased differently the question would get a different answer.

Thankfully Johnson's plan is only to 'allow' people to sell in imperial measures. Frankly a trifle change and not one we should get worked up about. The ministerial code however.....
    Not trivial. It disenfranchises anyone under about 65 from knowing when they are being robbed blind.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Not sure why anti terrorism law needs invoking. I know of someone who got 5 years, previous clean slate, for having a 4th shotgun when he had certificates for 3 and a rifle.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

Not trivial. It disenfranchises anyone under about 65 from knowing when they are being robbed blind.
    It's aimed at pensioners who get a pension bung whilst young people get shafted with tax rises and student fees.

Complete scam
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Look dont care what side you are on. I am on none of the sides here I wont vote for any. You have a solution to COL crisis and you hold it back for two years till there is an election to benefit you and make people suffer then a big arse FUCK YOU. By all means use the fact you proposed the solution in you election campaign and make a point the other party stole it....but making the ordinary people suffer for two years to keep your powder dry yes FUCK OFF
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Not a Tory....and certainly no fan of Team Boris. So not surprising am i bovvered....

It is something he promised he would do is there was a vocal small minority demanded it from Brexit and politically is just signalling that UK can make some decisions outside of the EU. You know its nonsense, I know its nonsense, but it political signalling to Brexit base. Politicians do it all the time and have their go to favs e.g. Brown, loft laggers of the world.

I don't think it alone says they are out of ideas....its the lack of wider programming that says they are.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

To be ultra boring and serious, as Tories are the high tax party, in twelve years now highest tax take since bankrupt just after the war, it makes opponents look better on such things. Eg two people, one a convicted murderer the other is obvious the one who doesn’t murder people.

“ since bankrupt just after the war, “

You know I take history seriously, where do you stand on our special friend we have special relationship with across pond, did us no favours after the war, more like vultures picking at the carcass of the British Empire?

I know an bit about US looking to take over Hong Kong, they also stole companies off us to pay our war debt to them. And muscled us out of the Middle East?
  • Options

The US is large.

Er… you can buy threaded items, taps and dies for Whitworth (and related standards), if you want.
  • Options

Not a Tory....and certainly no fan of Team Boris. So not surprising am i bovvered....

It is something he promised he would do is there was a vocal small minority demanded it from Brexit and politically is just signalling that UK can make some decisions outside of the EU. You know its nonsense, I know its nonsense, but it political signalling to Brexit base. Politicians do it all the time and have their go to favs e.g. Brown, loft laggers of the world.

I don't think it alone says they are out of ideas....its the lack of wider programming that says they are.
    Sorry for mis-labelling you then
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Not sure why anti terrorism law needs invoking. I know of someone who got 5 years, previous clean slate, for having a 4th shotgun when he had certificates for 3 and a rifle.
    This is the guy I knew.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2385495/Pillar-community-lived-double-life-gangland-gun-dealer-smuggled-menu-weapons-Serbia-sell-London-gangs.html
  • Options

The US is large.

Er… you can buy threaded items, taps and dies for Whitworth (and related standards), if you want.
    They are not only in imperial. You also get them in metric
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Yes, but we don't have a free trade agreement with them...
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Conservative Party 19%
    Labour Party 36%
    Both 8%
    Neither 18%

ROFL

“ since bankrupt just after the war, “

You know I take history seriously, where do you stand on our special friend we have special relationship with across pond, did us no favours after the war, more like vultures picking at the carcass of the British Empire?

I know an bit about US looking to take over Hong Kong, they also stole companies off us to pay our war debt to them. And muscled us out of the Middle East?
    More they kept throwing money at us and we kept pissing it away, trying to hold onto bits of the Empire.
  • Options
    Do Britons most associate the current Labour Party with raising taxes, lowering taxes, or neither?

Lowering taxes 31%
    Raising taxes 21%

I know what Boris needs next, let's add pogo lanes to London streets
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,955
    Much thought the idea of returning to imperial units makes me, at best, do a double-take - my inner child would thoroughly enjoy buying 'a quarter of jelly babies' again.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

So about a third of the British population then. We're in 'Believe Princess Di was assassinated' territory here.
  • Options

Yes, but we don't have a free trade agreement with them...
    You don't need a free trade agreement to trade.
  • Options

Do Britons most associate the current Labour Party with raising taxes, lowering taxes, or neither?

Lowering taxes 31%
    Raising taxes 21%

I know what Boris needs next, let's add pogo lanes to London streets

Already pointed out the british electorates belief on this is bollocks. Labour have never lowered taxes and never will. Just shows that even though half the british electorate is below average iq they are not stupid enough to fall for that idiocy
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Much thought the idea of returning to imperial units makes me, at best, do a double-take - my inner child would thoroughly enjoy buying 'a quarter of jelly babies' again.

When I was at school I used to live on 20p quarters of jelly beans.
This discussion has been closed.