Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What do Tory MPs think about this? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

Nigelb said:

You can see where this is heading...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/1529930193481220110
    The governor of Oklahoma, who just signed a bill banning abortion, period, is being primaried by another Republican who says life begins *before* conception. Yes, you read that right.

Yes, I have seen The Handmaid's Tale.
    Every sperm is sacred.
    Might as well follow things to their logical extreme after all.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    edited May 2022

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Drakeford's destroying North Wales holiday industry from Cardiff

Tourism leaders in Wales have reacted with horror to confirmation of new occupancy rules for second homes and holiday lets. From April 1, 2023, the Welsh Government will insist that self-catering properties are let for at least 182 days each year in a move critics say will “decimate” the Welsh tourism industry.

Holiday lettings firm Finest Retreats, which promotes 29 holiday cottages in Wales, warned the challenging occupancy target will hit rural economies the hardest by driving up prices and making the country a “less attractive place to visit”. Tom Giffard, Welsh Conservative shadow tourism minister said it was a “devastating blow”, adding: “These new letting requirements will frankly be impossible for many self-caterers to meet.”

The Wales Tourism Alliance (WTA), which represents 6,000 tourism operators in Wales, believes 84% of the country's holiday lets could now be forced to close. WTA chair Suzy Davies said genuine holiday businesses will be caught up in a policy designed to clamp down on second homes. “Like dolphins accidentally caught in fishing nets, these businesses will die,” she cautioned.

On Tuesday, finance minister Rebecca Evans issued a written statement confirming Cardiff was pushing ahead with its plans despite opposition from the tourism sector. As with the Welsh Government’s new council tax policies, the approach is designed to tackle the housing crisis in Welsh-speaking communities in holiday hotspots.

The minister acknowledged that the stronger criteria “may be challenging for some operators to meet”. But she said: “The purpose of the change is to help ensure property owners are making a fair contribution to local communities, for example by increasing their contribution to the local economy through greater letting activity, or by paying council tax on their properties.”

To continue paying business rates, holiday rentals must be let for 182 days from April 1, 2023. Currently, the threshold is just 70 days. If holidays fail to meet the threshold, they pay council tax instead - and from April 2023 local counties will have the power to charge a council tax premium of up to 300%, effectively quadrupling bills.

Sorry, this looks like great news. Why should properties that are empty for 294 days a year get a tax break?
    Let people live there instead of keeping them empty for occasional holidaymakers. Good work Welsh Labour.
    You clearly do not understand just how toxic this is for Welsh labour here in the heart of the North Wales holiday industry which is about to have a tourist tax put on them from Drakeford as well
    Maybe I just care about affordable housing more. Your empty-house policy leaves me as cold as a homeless person.
    Destroying the holiday industry losing thousands of jobs in businesses across North Wales is madness and could only be dreamt up by a Corbynista who just does not understand the local economy and simply does not care
    It's not really destroying it, though, is it?

These figures show that in the last three years before Covid, self-catering occupancy stood at 58%, 55% and 57%. So how many properties will really be caught up in that anyway?
    https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/statistics-and-research/2021-01/wales-accommodation-occupancy-survey-2019_0.pdf

And scroll on a page, you'll see that North Wales's figures are actually the strongest in Wales, averaging at 64%.

Even if a number of providers decide to drop out of the market, all that will do is increase the occupancy in competitors.

No, sorry, it seems you've been taken in by a scare story. The numbers don't fit at all with the apocalyptic predictions. Welsh Labour derangement syndrome, as Leon would probably call it.
    This combined with the tourist tax will hit the holiday industry and believe you me it features all the time in the local media and Welsh news as various businesses forecast a fall in visitor numbers and a loss of holiday accommodation
    No, sorry, I don't believe you me.

Apart from anything you're pretending the tourist industry is solely based around the kind of self-catering accommodation being referred to. Hotels, camping & caravans are a big part of the tourist industry, and non self-catering accommodation drives people to restaurants instead of supermarkets for their evening meal.
    No, the more I think about this the more I think this is a good move. Prune out the holiday lets that are underoccupied and they become either better-run lets, or housing for actual people.
    You are missing the point that all these businesses you quote are about to be hit with a tourist tax on top of this

If this had been proposed for Devon and Cornwall or the Lake district you would have had a torrent of anger from the holiday industry

And by the way I do not lie
    Tim Farron is running for re-election on the very question of holiday lets.
    They aren't greatly popular in the Lakes with the locals who tend to rather priorities having somewhere to live.
    Yes but they bring in the income that no doubt supports many of their jobs

There is a balance to be struck but applying a tourist tax and reducing holiday accommodation is not one of them
    They don't bring in any income if they are empty.
    And reducing holiday accommodation is smack bang what Farron thinks will keep him his seat.
    He probably knows better than me what the locals think.

https://inews.co.uk/news/housing-crisis-is-spoiling-the-beauty-of-the-lakes-we-need-to-regulate-holiday-lets-and-second-homes-1648417
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,278
    edited May 2022
    Roger said:

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Missing from the header: any mention of why the change was made.

But I guess it's too important that opposition politicians should be able to demand ministers' resignations for the most trivial of perceived transgressions.

It has worked well for quite a long time, until this clown came into office. I have to congratulate you though, you must have a super thick skin and very flexible morals to be such an unapologetic apologist for Boris Johnson
    When a politician is in a no-win situation, it's only fair to point that out.

He's done plenty of bad things. Implementing a recommendation from the Committee on Standards in Public Life is not one of them.
    What if it is a dumb recommendation? Someone with a modicum of decency might say, "hey that's not going to look good". But not your idol
    I stopped reading there.
    I understand. Boris Johnson apologists generally have difficulty with paying attention beyond a few seconds.
    Scholz apologists, on the other hand..
    I am not an apologist for him. The German nation has moved form being a militaristic nation to a pacifist one. You are clearly too dim to realise this and make sweeping generalisations and judgements based on childish anti-German prejudice.
    Ok Nigelforgermanappeasementpolicies.
    Oh dear. Playground stuff. If you want to debate with the grownups you ought to wait until you have graduated to senior school.
    It'll take some more effort to convince me that you're a grown up. You resort to crude expletive laden abuse at such a low threshold; you remind me of the stupidest children at school.
    I have always enjoyed a good expletive. A prudish disdain for it only shows your lack of class and style that fits well with your low intellect excuses for xenophobia.
    I swore at you in German in reply on the last thread. And I'll do it again; Schwanzlutscher.

Your crass rants are really low powered. As I said, you remind me of the stupid children from when I was at school.
    If I am one of those stupid children you must have had the pointy hat on with a D on it because I don't think any impartial observer would think you are winning this exchange
    The one which started with you throwing a "fuck yourself" hissy fit on the last thread because I called you Nigelforgermany?

You winner.
    I would happily be for Germany. It's a country with a complicated history, particularly in the field of armed conflict, to put it mildly. It has pursued, misguidedly for decades, a policy of Ostpolitik. I think there is a complicated national psychology, in that the Soviet Union played a key role (arguably the key role) in ending Nazism and not just in the East. It's by no meaning a feeling of gratitude but there is a something towards Russia that surprised me when I lived there. It wasn't a fear either, but a sense they were so powerful as demanding attention. Secondly, because of the aforementioned history, Germany became intensely pacifist. For decades they have had both a tolerance towards Russia and an aversion to armed conflict. I once spoke to a friend over a few beers and he, very educated young man, believed there was something innately evil at the heart of Germany. I think there is a determination to minimise suffering by whatever means, after all a humane war is a quick war.

I believe both those things are misguided, but I also don't expect them to go away over night. Of all the triggers in the German psyche, armed conflict and Russia must top the list. Armed conflict with Russia, however remote a prospect is apocalyptic. As it was the last time.

Time will march on, Germany will eventually act like the Great Power it is and understanding that its wealth gives it obligations. It will take time, and I wish they'd hurry up but it is a lot of history to get over.
    One of the key parties to defeating Nazism was... Germany.
    Stay with me now, this is a sensible point.
    We've seen in the past how military defeat can sometimes lead to more virulent militarism. So yes, the Soviets and the Americans beat Germany in the war, but that didn't mean the automatic defeat of fascism.
    Germans of the postwar era deserve a lot of credit for overcoming their past.

It didn't happen straight away. To begin there was a culture of silence, and memorials to the victims of the the holocaust tended to be vague or even absent. But in later decades, I think from the late 60s if memory serves, a more serious self-reckoning came about, especially in the younger generations. The silence was dropped and the world became a markedly better place for it.
    An emasculated Germany (in foreign policy and defence) was also the NATO aim during the Cold War.

It also greatly suited France, which saw (and arguably still sees) the purpose of the EU in its original incarnation as a pedestal from which German economic heft could be used to project French power (not how it ultimately ended up, but Macron may yet get his way!).

The political culture in Germany is not purely internally cultivated, it was actively encouraged from abroad.
    Why didn’t we also discourage them from funding murderous dictators..
    I much prefer your travel contributions. They are as sharp and as observant as your German ones are bland prejudiced and ignorant.
    I much prefer your hilarious political prediction contributions to the ones where you try to mark other posters' homework (but thanks for the travel writing grade! ;) ).

When I comment on Germany's current actions, I'm quoting or echoing the sentiment from Germans who I follow on twitter. There are a remarkable number of them who agree with me.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

But I guess it's too important that opposition politicians should be able to demand ministers' resignations for the most trivial of perceived transgressions.

It has worked well for quite a long time, until this clown came into office. I have to congratulate you though, you must have a super thick skin and very flexible morals to be such an unapologetic apologist for Boris Johnson

He's done plenty of bad things. Implementing a recommendation from the Committee on Standards in Public Life is not one of them.
    What if it is a dumb recommendation? Someone with a modicum of decency might say, "hey that's not going to look good". But not your idol
    I stopped reading there.
    I understand. Boris Johnson apologists
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.
    I would love to do a little psychological study on those that are susceptible to siding with or believing Boris Johnson and those in Russia that believe that Russia is carrying out a "special military operation" and "denazifying" Ukraine. Psychological profiling and surveying could be done to discover how much is actually down to just being genuinely gullible and how much is down to living in a state with restricted media. It would be quite fascinating.
    Or, NOT fascinating. As the case may be
    Well, each to their own. If I were carrying out the survey I would need to put caveats for unconscious bias of my own, which in anything to do with Johnson would need to be considerable.
    Those caveats could form the basis of a more interesting study into the real phenomenon of Boris Derangement Syndrome.
    Use of the expression {Foo} Derangement Syndrome is by a country mile the biggest wankerdom indicator on the internet.

And the rewriting of the code is the least interesting thing about this story.

'In his introduction to the previous edition of the ministerial code, the Prime Minister said ministers must "uphold the very highest standards of propriety" - words that have been removed from the revamped edition.

The new introduction says the code should "guide my ministers on how they should act and arrange their affairs".

And the foreword no longer explicitly mentions the seven Nolan principles of public life - integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest.'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-waters-down-ethics-27083430

nothing there to give you a moment's pause?
    No

“Derangement Syndrome” definitely exists. It is generally on the Left (for now, in the West) but can definitely also be found on the Right. It is one of the most peculiar new evolutions of our time; it is surely driven by social media

eg Trump Derangement Syndrome is totally a thing. It got so bad people banned debate of the mere idea that covid might have come from a chinese lab - even though this is highly plausible if not probable - just because Trump expressed it. It was banned FOR A YEAR. Mad. Deranged

Brexit Derangement Syndrome (AKA Stockholm Syndrome) can be found on the right and on the left

Boris Derangement Syndrome can be very much found on PB

After my encounter with Plastic Bag on Head Lady today, on a Greek bus, I wonder if there is a Covid Derangement Syndrome. People driven to crazy expressions of medical self defence - probably by their consumption of self-curated and terrifying information - and disinformation - on the net. And social media

It is a thing

Yeah except no. We could just as easily talk about Marxist derangement syndrome. You know, how teaching children that colonial history wasn't heroic.. MARXISM! and how wanting to prevent runaway climate change.. MARXISM! and allowing women not to be the unwilling vessels for a child they don't want.. MARXISM!

The right is just as mad as the left.
    Remember how Ed Miliband was described as "Stalinist" by the Daily Mail? :lol::lol::lol:
    Genuinely no. I remember there was a brief period when the Tories weren't sure whether to argue Miliband was weak, or he was dangerous, which resulted in some very mixed messaging.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Tourism leaders in Wales have reacted with horror to confirmation of new occupancy rules for second homes and holiday lets. From April 1, 2023, the Welsh Government will insist that self-catering properties are let for at least 182 days each year in a move critics say will “decimate” the Welsh tourism industry.

Holiday lettings firm Finest Retreats, which promotes 29 holiday cottages in Wales, warned the challenging occupancy target will hit rural economies the hardest by driving up prices and making the country a “less attractive place to visit”. Tom Giffard, Welsh Conservative shadow tourism minister said it was a “devastating blow”, adding: “These new letting requirements will frankly be impossible for many self-caterers to meet.”

The Wales Tourism Alliance (WTA), which represents 6,000 tourism operators in Wales, believes 84% of the country's holiday lets could now be forced to close. WTA chair Suzy Davies said genuine holiday businesses will be caught up in a policy designed to clamp down on second homes. “Like dolphins accidentally caught in fishing nets, these businesses will die,” she cautioned.

On Tuesday, finance minister Rebecca Evans issued a written statement confirming Cardiff was pushing ahead with its plans despite opposition from the tourism sector. As with the Welsh Government’s new council tax policies, the approach is designed to tackle the housing crisis in Welsh-speaking communities in holiday hotspots.

The minister acknowledged that the stronger criteria “may be challenging for some operators to meet”. But she said: “The purpose of the change is to help ensure property owners are making a fair contribution to local communities, for example by increasing their contribution to the local economy through greater letting activity, or by paying council tax on their properties.”

To continue paying business rates, holiday rentals must be let for 182 days from April 1, 2023. Currently, the threshold is just 70 days. If holidays fail to meet the threshold, they pay council tax instead - and from April 2023 local counties will have the power to charge a council tax premium of up to 300%, effectively quadrupling bills.

Sorry, this looks like great news. Why should properties that are empty for 294 days a year get a tax break?
    Let people live there instead of keeping them empty for occasional holidaymakers. Good work Welsh Labour.
    You clearly do not understand just how toxic this is for Welsh labour here in the heart of the North Wales holiday industry which is about to have a tourist tax put on them from Drakeford as well
    Maybe I just care about affordable housing more. Your empty-house policy leaves me as cold as a homeless person.
    Destroying the holiday industry losing thousands of jobs in businesses across North Wales is madness and could only be dreamt up by a Corbynista who just does not understand the local economy and simply does not care

These figures show that in the last three years before Covid, self-catering occupancy stood at 58%, 55% and 57%. So how many properties will really be caught up in that anyway?
    https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/statistics-and-research/2021-01/wales-accommodation-occupancy-survey-2019_0.pdf

And scroll on a page, you'll see that North Wales's figures are actually the strongest in Wales, averaging at 64%.

Even if a number of providers decide to drop out of the market, all that will do is increase the occupancy in competitors.

No, sorry, it seems you've been taken in by a scare story. The numbers don't fit at all with the apocalyptic predictions. Welsh Labour derangement syndrome, as Leon would probably call it.
    This combined with the tourist tax will hit the holiday industry and believe you me it features all the time in the local media and Welsh news as various businesses forecast a fall in visitor numbers and a loss of holiday accommodation

Apart from anything you're pretending the tourist industry is solely based around the kind of self-catering accommodation being referred to. Hotels, camping & caravans are a big part of the tourist industry, and non self-catering accommodation drives people to restaurants instead of supermarkets for their evening meal.
    No, the more I think about this the more I think this is a good move. Prune out the holiday lets that are underoccupied and they become either better-run lets, or housing for actual people.
    You are missing the point that all these businesses you quote are about to be hit with a tourist tax on top of this

If this had been proposed for Devon and Cornwall or the Lake district you would have had a torrent of anger from the holiday industry

They aren't greatly popular in the Lakes with the locals who tend to rather priorities having somewhere to live.

There is a balance to be struck but applying a tourist tax and reducing holiday accommodation is not one of them
    And reducing holiday accommodation is smack bang what Farron thinks will keep him his seat.
    Actually I edited my comment to affirm I have no problem with high council tax to second homes not available for holiday lets
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,542

Roger said:

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    I understand. Boris Johnson apologists generally have difficulty with paying attention beyond a few seconds.
    I am not an apologist for him. The German nation has moved form being a militaristic nation to a pacifist one. You are clearly too dim to realise this and make sweeping generalisations and judgements based on childish anti-German prejudice.
    Oh dear. Playground stuff. If you want to debate with the grownups you ought to wait until you have graduated to senior school.
    It'll take some more effort to convince me that you're a grown up. You resort to crude expletive laden abuse at such a low threshold; you remind me of the stupidest children at school.
    I have always enjoyed a good expletive. A prudish disdain for it only shows your lack of class and style that fits well with your low intellect excuses for xenophobia.
    I swore at you in German in reply on the last thread. And I'll do it again; Schwanzlutscher.

Your crass rants are really low powered. As I said, you remind me of the stupid children from when I was at school.
    If I am one of those stupid children you must have had the pointy hat on with a D on it because I don't think any impartial observer would think you are winning this exchange
    The one which started with you throwing a "fuck yourself" hissy fit on the last thread because I called you Nigelforgermany?

You winner.
    I would happily be for Germany. It's a country with a complicated history, particularly in the field of armed conflict, to put it mildly. It has pursued, misguidedly for decades, a policy of Ostpolitik. I think there is a complicated national psychology, in that the Soviet Union played a key role (arguably the key role) in ending Nazism and not just in the East. It's by no meaning a feeling of gratitude but there is a something towards Russia that surprised me when I lived there. It wasn't a fear either, but a sense they were so powerful as demanding attention. Secondly, because of the aforementioned history, Germany became intensely pacifist. For decades they have had both a tolerance towards Russia and an aversion to armed conflict. I once spoke to a friend over a few beers and he, very educated young man, believed there was something innately evil at the heart of Germany. I think there is a determination to minimise suffering by whatever means, after all a humane war is a quick war.

I believe both those things are misguided, but I also don't expect them to go away over night. Of all the triggers in the German psyche, armed conflict and Russia must top the list. Armed conflict with Russia, however remote a prospect is apocalyptic. As it was the last time.

Time will march on, Germany will eventually act like the Great Power it is and understanding that its wealth gives it obligations. It will take time, and I wish they'd hurry up but it is a lot of history to get over.
    We've seen in the past how military defeat can sometimes lead to more virulent militarism. So yes, the Soviets and the Americans beat Germany in the war, but that didn't mean the automatic defeat of fascism.

It didn't happen straight away. To begin there was a culture of silence, and memorials to the victims of the the holocaust tended to be vague or even absent. But in later decades, I think from the late 60s if memory serves, a more serious self-reckoning came about, especially in the younger generations. The silence was dropped and the world became a markedly better place for it.
    An emasculated Germany (in foreign policy and defence) was also the NATO aim during the Cold War.

It also greatly suited France, which saw (and arguably still sees) the purpose of the EU in its original incarnation as a pedestal from which German economic heft could be used to project French power (not how it ultimately ended up, but Macron may yet get his way!).

The political culture in Germany is not purely internally cultivated, it was actively encouraged from abroad.
    I much prefer your travel contributions. They are as sharp and as observant as your German ones are bland prejudiced and ignorant.
    I much prefer your hilarious political prediction contributions to the ones where you try to mark other posters' homework (but thanks for the travel writing grade! ;) ).

When I comment on Germany's current actions, I'm quoting or echoing the sentiment from Germans who I follow on twitter. There are a remarkable number of them who agree with me.
    When the EU sanctions and support started, I suggested we all have a bet when the first German politician suggests looking again at NordStream 2.

Anyone want to guess?
  • Options
    You will, won't you?

Jeremy Clarkson
    @JeremyClarkson
    Yeah but the thing is that soon, when you’re really hungry, you will eat your neighbour.
    https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/1530254704835547137
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

Read earlier on twitter that the Mail has a story saying that Keir and 'Angie' are unlikely to get FPNs, due to the Cummings precedent.

I'm not sure that someone on Twitter saying they heare that someone on the Mail claims to know what the Durham police are thinking is entirely persuasive. I doubt if the Durham police themselves have a view yet.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.
    I would love to do a little psychological study on those that are susceptible to siding with or believing Boris Johnson and those in Russia that believe that Russia is carrying out a "special military operation" and "denazifying" Ukraine. Psychological profiling and surveying could be done to discover how much is actually down to just being genuinely gullible and how much is down to living in a state with restricted media. It would be quite fascinating.
    Well, each to their own. If I were carrying out the survey I would need to put caveats for unconscious bias of my own, which in anything to do with Johnson would need to be considerable.
    Those caveats could form the basis of a more interesting study into the real phenomenon of Boris Derangement Syndrome.
    Use of the expression {Foo} Derangement Syndrome is by a country mile the biggest wankerdom indicator on the internet.

'In his introduction to the previous edition of the ministerial code, the Prime Minister said ministers must "uphold the very highest standards of propriety" - words that have been removed from the revamped edition.

The new introduction says the code should "guide my ministers on how they should act and arrange their affairs".

And the foreword no longer explicitly mentions the seven Nolan principles of public life - integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest.'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-waters-down-ethics-27083430

No

“Derangement Syndrome” definitely exists. It is generally on the Left (for now, in the West) but can certainly also be found on the Right. It is one of the most peculiar new evolutions of our time; it is surely driven by social media

eg Trump Derangement Syndrome is totally a thing. It got so bad people banned debate of the mere idea that covid might have come from a chinese lab - even though this is highly plausible if not probable - just because Trump expressed it. It was banned FOR A YEAR. Mad. Deranged

Brexit Derangement Syndrome (AKA Stockholm Syndrome) can be found on the right and on the left

After my encounter with Plastic Bag on Head Lady today, on a Greek bus, I wonder if there is a Covid Derangement Syndrome. People driven to crazy expressions of medical self defence - probably by their consumption of self-curated and terrifying information - and disinformation - on the net. And social media

It is a thing

Bag Lady doesn’t look like someone who is influenced by social media. @Leon did you see if she was logged into PB throughout the journey?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.

No

“Derangement Syndrome” definitely exists. It is generally on the Left (for now, in the West) but can definitely also be found on the Right. It is one of the most peculiar new evolutions of our time; it is surely driven by social media

It is a thing

Yeah except no. We could just as easily talk about Marxist derangement syndrome. You know, how teaching children that colonial history wasn't heroic.. MARXISM! and how wanting to prevent runaway climate change.. MARXISM! and allowing not to be the unwilling vessels for a child they don't want.. MARXISM!

The right is just as mad as the left.
    Remember how Ed Miliband was described as "Stalinist" by the Daily Mail? :lol::lol::lol:
    Indeed. Only yesterday the Telegraph was hyperventilating about a Hard Left Alliance. Containing, er, Ed Davey's Lib Dems.
    As for Ed M. The Tories have implemented his policies and then some.
    We might smile but Trump Republican's and Johnsonian Tories have both grasped that what people believe is far more important than the truth. Hence Trump's "Truth" social media project. Sadly, they are not wrong which is why both groups now poll far better amongst the less educated than has been the case during my lifetime.
    I don't smile about it, as I think it is true what people believe is far more important than truth (or facts) and that is worrisome. But are we not slightly at risk of suggesting the views of the less educated are not worth as much? And would that mean when the less educated supported other groups that should have been a problem too?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Besides which, the desirability of a tourism levy and the desirability of a sumptuary tax on homes left empty for most of the year are two different issues.

Infrequently occupied second homes and infrequently occupied holiday lets strike me as not being all that dissimilar conceptually. The former are luxurious baubles for the wealthy and the latter are little cash machines for the wealthy (and as far as I'm concerned anyone who can afford to own multiple houses is wealthy, and not merely comfortably off.)

Regardless, there's no good argument - especially in the current economic climate - for throwing unproductive tax breaks at the rich, and especially not when we have a very serious problem in this country with a severe lack of affordable housing, partly caused by the promotion of homes as lucrative investments rather than as places to live.

As far as I'm concerned, residential properties are places for people to reside. So, yes, you will have cases such as undergraduate student accommodation where they are bound to lie empty for a while, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect them to be occupied for at least the bulk of the year. Under-occupied homes that are left lying empty for eight or nine months of every year constitute a form of parasitism upon the communities in which they are located. It seems reasonable that their owners ought at least to be made to compensate those communities accordingly.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    Unpopular said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    Can anyone sane tell me whether to worry about omicron variants??

I’m having a hoot doing an odyssey around the world. I don’t want covid FUCKING IT UP AGAIN
    Not right this minute. Have a beer.
    maybe plastic bag woman knows something about a local variant?

• Options
    edited May 2022

Read earlier on twitter that the Mail has a story saying that Keir and 'Angie' are unlikely to get FPNs, due to the Cummings precedent.

I'm not sure that someone on Twitter saying they heare that someone on the Mail claims to know what the Durham police are thinking is entirely persuasive. I doubt if the Durham police themselves have a view yet.
    This is the Mail story
    https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/news/politics/185898/beergate-will-cummings-cop-let-keir-off-the-hook

And Pippa works for the Mirror I think?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Roger said:

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

They unfortunately still do war guilt big time, which they should get over because the youngest person that was in the war is 93.

I'm in Saxony and Berlin next month, will wear Ukrainian colours and see what rx I get.

Worth noting that Russian soldiers are doing to Ukrayinki exactly what they did to Berlinerinnen in '45.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Booooooo... Livingstone out.

Is it 2008 again?
  • Options

Well it took 9 balls, but Livingstone just hit it out the ground.

It’s because of T20 and the like that English test and county cricket is on its uppers. It may be the death of proper cricket.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Johnson's new ministerial code removes all references to honesty, integrity, transparency and accountability. The opposition attacks just write themselves don't they?

This has already been discussed, and it is not true.
  • Options

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    1h
    Understand that Keir Starmer and Angie Rayner have not yet received questionnaires from Durham Police, despite some reports. #beergate

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1530238725954879491
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Student calls to 911:
    12:03—whispered she's in room 112
    12:10—said multiple dead
    12:13—called again
    12:16—says 8-9 students alive
    12:19—student calls from room 111
    12:21—3 shots heard on call
    12:36—another call
    12:43—asks for police
    12:47—asks for police
    https://t.co/CzkuF1llq1

This is so awful.
  • Options

You will, won't you?

Jeremy Clarkson
    @JeremyClarkson
    Yeah but the thing is that soon, when you’re really hungry, you will eat your neighbour.

One might almost believe that he enjoys his newly-enhanced celebrity in the Russian media.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/housing-crisis-is-spoiling-the-beauty-of-the-lakes-we-need-to-regulate-holiday-lets-and-second-homes-1648417
    Why would anybody want to holiday in North Wales when they could holiday in Scotland (apart from weather and midges?).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    kle4 said:

You will, won't you?

Jeremy Clarkson
    @JeremyClarkson

Season 2 of Clarkson's Farm sounds like it might take a dark turn...
    Episode 1 - Council turns down application for expansion of farm shop
    Episode 2 - Cannibalism.

Not sure where it can go from there, but I am very interested.
    Guest appearance of his mate Dave to check out his pigs?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    1h
    Understand that Keir Starmer and Angie Rayner have not yet received questionnaires from Durham Police, despite some reports. #beergate

So the intimidation worked?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Applicant said:

Tres said:

Johnson's new ministerial code removes all references to honesty, integrity, transparency and accountability. The opposition attacks just write themselves don't they?

The fat crook took all references to those things out of the foreword so it is true in substance.

Do you not mind any of this? Do you think the natural order of things is that us peasants get lied to and laughed at by phat poshbois?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You will, won't you?

Jeremy Clarkson
    @JeremyClarkson

Episode 2 - Cannibalism.

Episode 3 - After eating the council, Clarkson and friends stand for election as their replacements
    Episode 4 - Clarkson becomes leader of council, expansion approved

This solution could apply to other difficulties. We now just need a peckish (and reliably Johnson-sceptic) Tory backbencher to volunteer to eat the boss.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Tres said:

The fat crook took all references to those things out of the foreword so it is true in substance.

Do you not mind any of this? Do you think the natural order of things is that us peasants get lied to and laughed at by phat poshbois?
    "Wrote an entirely new foreword (which isn't part of the Code)" makes the lie "deleted all references from the Code" "true in substance"??

You're being laughed at by Labour politicians for swallowing their transparent lie.

Defending such nonsense makes him more safe. Focus on the real reasons that he needs to go.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You will, won't you?

Jeremy Clarkson
    @JeremyClarkson

Episode 2 - Cannibalism.

Episode 2 could be a short programme, eating Richard Hammond, or a longer programme, eating James May.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631
    Nigelb said:

You can see where this is heading...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/1529930193481220110
    The governor of Oklahoma, who just signed a bill banning abortion, period, is being primaried by another Republican who says life begins *before* conception. Yes, you read that right.

Were you not once, but a gleam in your daddy's eye?

In Oklahoma, that's what "Surrey with the Fringe on Top" was all about. Ditto Chevy with Convertible Roof.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Includes this: Labour is likely to ditch
    @jeremycorbyn92 's 2019 pledge to hike income tax on those earning more than £80,000.
    Party is looking at more 'creative ways' of making the rich pay more.

===

Thoughts and prayers to Owen Jones this evening...
  • Options

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

@jeremycorbyn92 's 2019 pledge to hike income tax on those earning more than £80,000.

===

More creative ways....normals means will end up being even higher...
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    1h

Asking the right questions is often the way to truth.

Exploring what juniors have to say first is often a good way of making sure you ask the right questions of seniors.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,027

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Why would anybody want to holiday in North Wales when they could holiday in Scotland (apart from weather and midges?).
    It's more conveniently proximate than the otherwise similar Kerguelen Islands.
  • Options

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

Perhaps they'll opt to propose a wealth tax?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

It's more conveniently proximate than the otherwise similar Kerguelen Islands.
    That's just cruel. Poor North Wales.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

eat the rich and spunk their money on fags strippers and blow
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    edited May 2022

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

While Sunak cut NI for those earning under £35,000 and raised it for higher earners.

Seems after winning Wandsworth and Westminster Starmer Labour is going hard for the rich Remainer vote
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

While Sunak cut NI for those earning under £35,000 and raised it for higher earners.

Seems after winning Wandsworth and Westminster Starmer Labour is going hard for the rich Remainer vote
    Which is actually Ed Davey's job.
  • Options

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

CGT is due an overhaul.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,774

Nigelb said:

Not to alarm @Leon or anything, but we seem to be getting more virulent again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1529965612956405761
    BA.2.12.1 and BA.4/BA.5 characterized in human lung cells and an experimental model by @SystemsVirology

—All 3 Omicron subvariants have enhanced replication in lung cells compared w/ BA.2
    —BA.4/5 is more pathogenic than BA.2 in animal model
    https://biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.05.26.493539v1

Currently in the U.K. it’s the dog that didn’t bark. Rising proportion of cases certainly, but not uptick in hospitalisation, which are still gratifyingly falling (under 500 a day in England now). It’s been noted that the places with big waves of 4/5 did not see much 2, whereas we did. Hard to predict the future, but my sense is there will be a bump, but not a big one.
    We seem to have levelled out at about 60 covid patients in my Trust the last few weeks. A couple in ICU again...
  • Options
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

Which is actually Ed Davey's job.
    His too, the LDs of course targeting Surrey hard, where they have made local elections gains, the wealthiest county outside London
  • Options

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

Wow. This outrage train was on time!!!

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    29m
    Keir Starmer ran the most dishonest campaign for the leadership of a political party in British democratic history.

This was literally his first pledge!

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    27m
    One of Keir Starmer's aides literally rang me in the leadership campaign to make a big song and dance about his commitment to hike income tax for everyone earning more than £80,000.

I asked if it was definitely 100% cast iron: I was told absolutely 100% cast iron.

Amazing.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242

Roger said:

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

I believe after you got a doctor’s note excusing you from going tonto on Vlad’s ass you were going to train as an hgv or similar driver so you could take vital supplies to Ukraine. How’s that going?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551
    Carnyx said:

70 days a year? That's just a scam for holiday home owners to avoid having to pay council tax, dammit. No wondfer they are howling at losing that cheat. The new change is obviously fair. And the businesses will just have to be more efficient in their usage of housing space, as a vital wider public benefit.

It depends on the property, someone renting out an apartment in central Cardiff can probably let it a large number of days per year, but a holiday home in somewhere more remote will be more dependent on weather, seasonal attractions, public and school holidays, and weekend breaks. It could quite easily be empty more than half the year, and still be a legitimate business.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Roger said:

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

They unfortunately still do war guilt big time, which they should get over because the youngest person that was in the war is 93.

I'm in Saxony and Berlin next month, will wear Ukrainian colours and see what rx I get.

Worth noting that Russian soldiers are doing to Ukrayinki exactly what they did to Berlinerinnen in '45.
    I’m in Berlin just now, quite a few Ukraine flags flying from windows and buildings, though I guess folk may give someone dressed as a flag a wide berth (I would).
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,431

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    29m
    Keir Starmer ran the most dishonest campaign for the leadership of a political party in British democratic history.

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    27m
    One of Keir Starmer's aides literally rang me in the leadership campaign to make a big song and dance about his commitment to hike income tax for everyone earning more than £80,000.

I asked if it was definitely 100% cast iron: I was told absolutely 100% cast iron.

Amazing.
    He must also be quietly happy as he earns considerably far far north of £80k
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    OldKingCole - Thanks for the update on your birds.

I don't recall seeing blue tits when I visited Britain, but they look like lovely birds, and remind me of America's eastern bluebird: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_bluebird
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,254
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

I’m having a hoot doing an odyssey around the world. I don’t want covid FUCKING IT UP AGAIN
    Seriously, don’t worry about 4/5. You will be fine, there will probably be a bump in hosptilization, the usual idiots will scream, and no one else will notice.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    29m

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    27m

Amazing.
    He must also be quietly happy as he earns considerably far far north of £80k
    Interesting that despite his massive social media following, he can't make his YouTube channel really fly (although I am sure he does fine out of donations).
  • Options
    This must be the end of several careers (Guardian liveblog)

“The head of the Texas department of public safety has said “there’s no excuse” for officers not trying to break into the elementary school classroom as the gunman fired away.”

Not that it helps any of the poor bereaved people. Tho it might assist America in sorting out its ludicrously fucked police/guns/crime dysfunction
  • Options
    Epi twitter is telling me Australian flu case graph is steeper and earlier than average.

We have maybe been warned...

• Options

Roger said:

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

I believe after you got a doctor’s note excusing you from going tonto on Vlad’s ass you were going to train as an hgv or similar driver so you could take vital supplies to Ukraine. How’s that going?
    I went walking and drinking in Catalonia instead. I confessed it was probably what I would have done if I were confronted with Nazism in the late 30s.

All I’m really capable of is drunkenly ranting from the sidelines. At least I’m definitely ranting for the right side of this one.
  • Options
    Leon said:

“The head of the Texas department of public safety has said “there’s no excuse” for officers not trying to break into the elementary school classroom as the gunman fired away.”

Not that it helps any of the poor bereaved people. Tho it might assist America in sorting out its ludicrously fucked police/guns/crime dysfunction

Might as well defund the police if they are just going to stand around cleaning their guns while the slaughter takes place.
  • Options

Leon said:

Might as well defund the police if they are just going to stand around cleaning their guns while the slaughter takes place.
    The gunman was in the end shot by the police
  • Options
    More Guardian live-blog

“The Kremlin is considering a second assault on Kyiv despite failing to capture the Ukrainian capital at the outset of the war, according to the independent news website, Meduza.

Sources close to the Kremlin and inside the Putin administration said confidence has spread to the leadership of United Russia, the country’s ruling political party, that a full-scale victory in Ukraine is possible before the end of the year.

One source said:

We’ll grind them [the Ukrainians] down in the end. The whole thing will probably be over by the fall.

Russia’s leadership has “minimum” and “maximum” thresholds for declaring a successful and completed “special military operation” in Ukraine, sources said.

The bare minimum needed to declare victory is the complete capture of the Donbas region, according to sources, while the maximum goal would be the capture of Kyiv.

The editor of the English-language edition of Meduza, Kevin Rothrock, said the report suggests that Ukraine is losing the “information war” for the first time since the invasion.

Many ways to interpret this: (1) the mood inside the Kremlin shifts faster than a temperamental teen’s, (2) Kyiv’s alarm-signaling is largely about expediting/sustaining Western aid, (3) Western fatigue is real (the energy crisis & U.S. midterms mean a whole new ballgame soon)”

I reckon this means WW3
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

It does undermine the whole second amendment thing to have such a clear demonstration that having weapons doesn't stop you being a pussy
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,254

Epi twitter is telling me Australian flu case graph is steeper and earlier than average.

Hopefully get the right flu vaccine.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917

Leon said:

You should see the photo of the local PD. Apparently a huge chunk of the local finances go on them.

Look like SEAL team wannabes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

American Border Force, I thought.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I didn't understand that part. Why did they wait for them to turn up?
  • Options

Yep.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/flu-uk-australia-cases-vaccine-latest-b2088850.html
  • Options
    Not a good start to the long weekend when hotel has two distinct queue systems for check-in & "issue resolution".

Spoke with the stressed receptionist and he says they half the staff they usually have for a Highland summer season. And he's just been offered a new job building mountain bikes...

GF and I have 5 issues for resolution so far.
  • Options
    Drop a fucking nuke on Moscow,. Tactically. Enough
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Because the local plods are hopelessly incompetent?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

I know it's not leading to an uptick in hospital/deaths - but a very high % of the people I know who've had it in the past few weeks have been proper f*cked (bedridden/fever for over a week). So still something to try and not catch I'd say (tricky/impossible though that may be). But maybe without the worry that you're going to end up with a tube down your neck wishing you'd put your affairs in order.

No idea if it's just been atypical bad luck, new sub-variants, whatever - but not fun at all.

I think re-infections are heading for 10% even for people who had 'original' omicron. It's going to be an absolute pisser if we end up all getting re-infected and downed for a week every three months due to immune escape.

:: party hat emoji etc etc ::
  • Options

Roger said:

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

I’m in Berlin just now, quite a few Ukraine flags flying from windows and buildings, though I guess folk may give someone dressed as a flag a wide berth (I would).
    I was thinking more of wearing a wristband.

Berlin is one of my favourite places, if it wasn't so expensive I might consider retiring there.

My dad occupied it, enjoyed his time at Gatow.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Because they face down the cartels every week and aren't cowards.
  • Options
    Leon said:

More Guardian live-blog

“The Kremlin is considering a second assault on Kyiv despite failing to capture the Ukrainian capital at the outset of the war, according to the independent news website, Meduza.

Sources close to the Kremlin and inside the Putin administration said confidence has spread to the leadership of United Russia, the country’s ruling political party, that a full-scale victory in Ukraine is possible before the end of the year.

One source said:

We’ll grind them [the Ukrainians] down in the end. The whole thing will probably be over by the fall.

Russia’s leadership has “minimum” and “maximum” thresholds for declaring a successful and completed “special military operation” in Ukraine, sources said.

The bare minimum needed to declare victory is the complete capture of the Donbas region, according to sources, while the maximum goal would be the capture of Kyiv.

The editor of the English-language edition of Meduza, Kevin Rothrock, said the report suggests that Ukraine is losing the “information war” for the first time since the invasion.

Many ways to interpret this: (1) the mood inside the Kremlin shifts faster than a temperamental teen’s, (2) Kyiv’s alarm-signaling is largely about expediting/sustaining Western aid, (3) Western fatigue is real (the energy crisis & U.S. midterms mean a whole new ballgame soon)”

I reckon this means WW3

Most likely it will end up a prolonged war of attrition in the Donbas. It won't be WW3 unless Russia invades a NATO state
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

I know it's not leading to an uptick in hospital/deaths - but a very high % of the people I know who've had it in the past few weeks have been proper f*cked (bedridden/fever for over a week). So still something to try and not catch I'd say (tricky/impossible though that may be). But maybe without the worry that you're going to end up with a tube down your neck wishing you'd put your affairs in order.

No idea if it's just been atypical bad luck, new sub-variants, whatever - but not fun at all.

I think re-infections are heading for 10% even for people who had 'original' omicron. It's going to be an absolute pisser if we end up all getting re-infected and downed for a week every three months due to immune escape.

Dunno about the rest but absolutely right about being absolutely wrecked by it - my bunch of friends, Inc me, had a dreadful few days.

Cracked in a half marathon today though so all good.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

You should see the photo of the local PD. Apparently a huge chunk of the local finances go on them.

What, lying on the beach sunning themselves?
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Because they're fucking idiots? Or maybe the border peeps are trained in shooting Hispanics.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

What, lying on the beach sunning themselves?
    A succinct summary of their response.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yep.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/flu-uk-australia-cases-vaccine-latest-b2088850.html
    Oh, just fecking great.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    pigeon said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Shades of the Capitol Invasion of 2021?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

I’ve had Covid at least once, quite possibly twice, maybe thrice

I don’t care any more. If I have to get a flu-like illness every 6 months, so be it. It is still worth resuming normal life, it’s just a shitty new thing. Life is full of shitty new things, anyone over the age of 40 has experienced ageing. That’s consistently shitty, yet we cope

We simply have to accept that life now comes with a significant new element of risk and shitiness. But these might be solved with new vaccines, we can but pray

Never again must we lockdown
  • Options

Leon said:

You’d think if cops are too scared to tackle a heavily armed shooter with an AR15 that they’re making a pretty fine case for banning AR15s.
    Logic and modern America are not close cousins.

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Not a good start to the long weekend when hotel has two distinct queue systems for check-in & "issue resolution".

Spoke with the stressed receptionist and he says they half the staff they usually have for a Highland summer season. And he's just been offered a new job building mountain bikes...

Oh dear.

One hears of the trouble that hospitality has with recruitment. Guess it's an accumulation of many of the staff having found different jobs that they disliked less during Covid (exhibit A: Amazon delivery driver, still shit wages but at least you no longer have significant interactions with horrible customers anymore,) and the running tap of cheap replacements from the EU having previously been turned off.

Oh well. Gordon Ramsay said that one good thing about the nightmare of the last two years was that it had wiped out so many of the bad restaurants. It'll probably do the same to hotels that can't or won't pay for a sufficiency of good employees.

Which is of no use to you at this difficult time, of course. Sorry.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

My point: hospitality is a huge chunk of the economy and they've had a grim few years.

What happens next? The sector collapses? People stop going out in the UK with prices through the roof?
  • Options

Leon said:

You’d think if cops are too scared to tackle a heavily armed shooter with an AR15 that they’re making a pretty fine case for banning AR15s.
    More likely to give all cops, border patrol, crossing guard and mall security guard, as standard, an AR15.
  • Options

pigeon said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Shades of the Capitol Invasion of 2021?
    Shades of enjoying imposing their petty power upon defenceless citizens (e.g. tasering desperate parents) but pissing their fucking pants at the first sign of a dangerous criminal, more like.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,133
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

"The goddam Cook's a SEAL???"
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Roger said:

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

I was thinking more of wearing a wristband.

Berlin is one of my favourite places, if it wasn't so expensive I might consider retiring there.

My dad occupied it, enjoyed his time at Gatow.
    Didn’t visit Gatow this time, though speaking of Saxony I did do a day trip to Dresden today. The Albertinum museum has some fantastic paintings, and a huge not-very-good copy of Michaelangelo’s David with a large Ukranian flag hanging from his wrist.

Had one of the best Italian meals I’ve ever had last night at Ripieno on Monumenstraße by Viktoriapark, recommended.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,338
    edited May 2022
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

I know it's not leading to an uptick in hospital/deaths - but a very high % of the people I know who've had it in the past few weeks have been proper f*cked (bedridden/fever for over a week).
    Yes same here. Was chatting to my hairdresser the other day who said she and her boyfriend had it pretty badly and they're young.

It's definitely something I still want to avoid as I'm vulnerable.

It remains a nasty virus.

None of which means I disagree with Leon's point about future lockdowns.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,886
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

I don’t care any more. If I have to get a flu-like illness every 6 months, so be it. It is still worth resuming normal life, it’s just a shitty new thing. Life is full of shitty new things, anyone over the age of 40 has experienced ageing. That’s consistently shitty, yet we cope

We simply have to accept that life now comes with a significant new element of risk and shitiness. But these might be solved with new vaccines, we can but pray

Nonsense. Just wait till Ebola comes along.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,298
    Leon said:

1. How? Moscow is *big*. So if the intention is to take out Putin and the leadership then you need something really big. And the biggest warhead yield available from the land of murdering children is only 1.2MT
    2. So you'd need to drop quite a lot of nukes. Which isn't really tactical.
    3. So we're talking missiles. Which means their missiles. And the End Of Things
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

He doesn't care. He gets two more years or more if he goes for Jan 2025 and then he fecks off to the lecture circuit.

My view now, for what it is worth, is he should face his electorate and be ditched.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

My point: hospitality is a huge chunk of the economy and they've had a grim few years.

What happens next? The sector collapses? People stop going out in the UK with prices through the roof?
    Most likely, with the way inflation is going - basically most of the population is getting a bit poorer - there will be fewer businesses and the mean level of provision may be slightly more upmarket, as people who were budget level consumers for dining out and holidays can no longer afford to go at all and somewhat better off consumers ration their treats.

Hospitality won't collapse and many businesses will continue to do well, especially in more affluent areas.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,338
    p.s. I absolutely love Berlin.

Unlike some European cities gentrification has passed it by. I love the edginess.

Hire a bike on a weekend and cycle around the city: wonderful.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    Heathener said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

I know it's not leading to an uptick in hospital/deaths - but a very high % of the people I know who've had it in the past few weeks have been proper f*cked (bedridden/fever for over a week).
    Yes same here. Was chatting to hairdresser the other day who said she and her boyfriend had it pretty badly and they're young.

It's definitely something I still want to avoid as I'm vulnerable.

It remains a nasty virus.

None of which means I disagree with Leon's point about future lockdowns.
    Yeah - the people I'm thinking of are healthy, fit 20-30-somethings who have been jabbed and also had covid before. 'Somewhat' less than ideal...
  • Options

Leon said:

1. How? Moscow is *big*. So if the intention is to take out Putin and the leadership then you need something really big. And the biggest warhead yield available from the land of murdering children is only 1.2MT
    2. So you'd need to drop quite a lot of nukes. Which isn't really tactical.
    3. So we're talking missiles. Which means their missiles. And the End Of Things
    So be it. Life’s been good. It’s time to draw a curtain
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

With you on lockdown.

Not sure the establishment in Whitehall are though.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

===

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    29m

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    27m

Amazing.
    Owen needs to wake up and realize that we need to be focusing taxes on wealth not income.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,886

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

'Lie' implies you are doing it knowingly. I think you are misunderstanding the situation. If this isn't sorted out along the lines Mr Drakeford is doing, then what is the point of having a tourist industdry at all if nobody can afford to live locally to service it, and your Brexiter chums have depleted the other element of the service staff?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

p.s. I absolutely love Berlin.

Unlike some European cities gentrification has passed it by. I love the edginess.

Hire a bike on a weekend and cycle around the city: wonderful.

My dad was a Cockney, born and brought up in West Ham. I can understand why he liked it. There are other great cities (eg Krakow) but I feel comfortable in Berlin.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

Lockdowns and similar measures are only a way of buying time until vaccines, pharmaceuticals and hospital capacity can control in other ways. The first two are now here (a friend with lymphoma caught it and had the antivirals, giving less illness than ther family) the third depends on redeployment and cancelling routine work.

I don't think further lockdowns will be needed, but we need petmanant infrastructure to ensure that.
    Agreed. And probably permanent new ways of avoiding infection. We probably need to return to a world pre-antibiotics but post Florence Nightingale, when basic sanitation and cleanliness was (slowly) elevated

Anything but lockdowns
This discussion has been closed.