Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What do Tory MPs think about this? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Time for America to ban AR15s. Completely.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikejason73/status/1529992509920890884
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    OllyT said:

I think this latest wheeze to change the ministerial code is going to play out badly for Johnson, it whiffs of the attempts to change the rules to save Owen Patterson and we all know how that worked out.

Hopefully it will be the straw that breaks the camel's back but it may well be wishful thinking on my part and the current Tory Party really does have no shame.

Bob Neill specifically mentioned it as helping to confirm it was right to send a letter.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970

The drip drip of conservative mps sending in letters will hopefully gain momentum over this holiday period triggering the 54 needed on their return as they mix at various jubilee parties and find out how toxic Boris is

The irony that jubilee parties could see his denouement

I admire your sense of hope @Big_G_NorthWales

I just can't see it happening now.
    I don't anticipate spending much, if any, time next week with Conservative voters!

Sadly, because there are some I'd like to be with, and I can't!
  • Options
    MattW said:

Bit of an overly vigorous thread. I'll be in the garden.

Some of us don't have gardens. Scumbag.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,654

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

YouGov poll on the horizon:

Looks like these tweets have been taken down for breaking an embargo, but I got a screenshot so will just post them here.

Why? Because if you deliberately try to line your poll up to release at the same time as ours to spike us, I will be petty.

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1530220695313166337

Obvs the grumpiness has spread from PB this afternoon.

*checks clock and remembers there is some NZ white in the fridge*
    Argentinian pink. T -24.
    Ah, the famously badly camouflaged Russian Tank.
    Pink works surprisingly well in the halflight of dawn in certain environments - hence the RAF reconnaissance Spitfires, and the SAS Land-Rovers. And the Royal Navy ships painted in Mountbatten Pink - or 'Nipple Pink' to the USN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountbatten_pink
    https://www.shipcamouflage.com/4_7.htm
    ‘Twas also the subject of a slightly eccentric scientist who decided flamingoes were pink as camouflage at sunset and sunrise. No idea what they did for the rest of the day, mind.
    Wasn't this chap was it? Used to have a copy of his book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_Coloration_in_Animals

I wonder if the logic is that the birds are too visible during the day anyway in their environment that it doesn't matter what colour they are, plus they can see predators coming a mile off. It's the crepuscular lighting at dusk and dawn is the time of maximum danger.
  • Options
    For the avoidance of doubt, I'm just joking. Enjoy the evening sunshine.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MattW said:

Bit of an overly vigorous thread. I'll be in the garden.

Some of us don't have gardens. Scumbag.
    Gro-bag surely.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,007
    edited May 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Missing from the header: any mention of why the change was made.

But I guess it's too important that opposition politicians should be able to demand ministers' resignations for the most trivial of perceived transgressions.

It has worked well for quite a long time, until this clown came into office. I have to congratulate you though, you must have a super thick skin and very flexible morals to be such an unapologetic apologist for Boris Johnson
    When a politician is in a no-win situation, it's only fair to point that out.

He's done plenty of bad things. Implementing a recommendation from the Committee on Standards in Public Life is not one of them.
    What if it is a dumb recommendation? Someone with a modicum of decency might say, "hey that's not going to look good". But not your idol
    I stopped reading there.
    I understand. Boris Johnson apologists
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.
    I would love to do a little psychological study on those that are susceptible to siding with or believing Boris Johnson and those in Russia that believe that Russia is carrying out a "special military operation" and "denazifying" Ukraine. Psychological profiling and surveying could be done to discover how much is actually down to just being genuinely gullible and how much is down to living in a state with restricted media. It would be quite fascinating.
    Or, NOT fascinating. As the case may be
    Well, each to their own. If I were carrying out the survey I would need to put caveats for unconscious bias of my own, which in anything to do with Johnson would need to be considerable.
    Those caveats could form the basis of a more interesting study into the real phenomenon of Boris Derangement Syndrome.
    Use of the expression {Foo} Derangement Syndrome is by a country mile the biggest wankerdom indicator on the internet.

And the rewriting of the code is the least interesting thing about this story.

'In his introduction to the previous edition of the ministerial code, the Prime Minister said ministers must "uphold the very highest standards of propriety" - words that have been removed from the revamped edition.

The new introduction says the code should "guide my ministers on how they should act and arrange their affairs".

And the foreword no longer explicitly mentions the seven Nolan principles of public life - integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest.'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-waters-down-ethics-27083430

nothing there to give you a moment's pause?
    No

“Derangement Syndrome” definitely exists. It is generally on the Left (for now, in the West) but can certainly also be found on the Right. It is one of the most peculiar new evolutions of our time; it is surely driven by social media

eg Trump Derangement Syndrome is totally a thing. It got so bad people banned debate of the mere idea that covid might have come from a chinese lab - even though this is highly plausible if not probable - just because Trump expressed it. It was banned FOR A YEAR. Mad. Deranged

Brexit Derangement Syndrome (AKA Stockholm Syndrome) can be found on the right and on the left

Boris Derangement Syndrome can be very much found on PB

After my encounter with Plastic Bag on Head Lady today, on a Greek bus, I wonder if there is a Covid Derangement Syndrome. People driven to crazy expressions of medical self defence - probably by their consumption of self-curated and terrifying information - and disinformation - on the net. And social media

It is a thing

• Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,202
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

But I guess it's too important that opposition politicians should be able to demand ministers' resignations for the most trivial of perceived transgressions.

It has worked well for quite a long time, until this clown came into office. I have to congratulate you though, you must have a super thick skin and very flexible morals to be such an unapologetic apologist for Boris Johnson

He's done plenty of bad things. Implementing a recommendation from the Committee on Standards in Public Life is not one of them.
    What if it is a dumb recommendation? Someone with a modicum of decency might say, "hey that's not going to look good". But not your idol
    I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.
    I would love to do a little psychological study on those that are susceptible to siding with or believing Boris Johnson and those in Russia that believe that Russia is carrying out a "special military operation" and "denazifying" Ukraine. Psychological profiling and surveying could be done to discover how much is actually down to just being genuinely gullible and how much is down to living in a state with restricted media. It would be quite fascinating.
    Well, each to their own. If I were carrying out the survey I would need to put caveats for unconscious bias of my own, which in anything to do with Johnson would need to be considerable.
    Those caveats could form the basis of a more interesting study into the real phenomenon of Boris Derangement Syndrome.
    Use of the expression {Foo} Derangement Syndrome is by a country mile the biggest wankerdom indicator on the internet.

'In his introduction to the previous edition of the ministerial code, the Prime Minister said ministers must "uphold the very highest standards of propriety" - words that have been removed from the revamped edition.

The new introduction says the code should "guide my ministers on how they should act and arrange their affairs".

And the foreword no longer explicitly mentions the seven Nolan principles of public life - integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest.'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-waters-down-ethics-27083430

No

“Derangement Syndrome” definitely exists. It is generally on the Left (for now, in the West) but can certainly also be found on the Right. It is one of the most peculiar new evolutions of our time; it is surely driven by social media

eg Trump Derangement Syndrome is totally a thing. It got so bad people banned debate of the mere idea that covid might have come from a chinese lab - even though this is highly plausible if not probable - just because Trump expressed it. It was banned FOR A YEAR. Mad. Deranged

Brexit Derangement Syndrome (AKA Stockholm Syndrome) can be found on the right and on the left

After my encounter with Plastic Bag on Head Lady today, on a Greek bus, I wonder if there is a Covid Derangement Syndrome. People driven to crazy expressions of medical self defence - probably by their consumption of self-curated and terrifying information - and disinformation - on the net. And social media

It is a thing

Ishmael has Derangement Syndrome Derangement Syndrome.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,258
    Farooq said:
    Listening to the press conference from the school just now, hearing the account by the police of their utter incompetence flanked by a group of all men in their cowboy hats (no women anywhere) the utter contempt by the press for each and everyone of them was palpable

When you see the state of the US today you can only be grateful we live in a country where we are not allowed to own firearms
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.

No

“Derangement Syndrome” definitely exists. It is generally on the Left (for now, in the West) but can definitely also be found on the Right. It is one of the most peculiar new evolutions of our time; it is surely driven by social media

It is a thing

Yeah except no. We could just as easily talk about Marxist derangement syndrome. You know, how teaching children that colonial history wasn't heroic.. MARXISM! and how wanting to prevent runaway climate change.. MARXISM! and allowing women not to be the unwilling vessels for a child they don't want.. MARXISM!

The right is just as mad as the left.
  • Options

I swore at you in German in reply on the last thread. And I'll do it again; Schwanzlutscher.

Your crass rants are really low powered. As I said, you remind me of the stupid children from when I was at school.

Oh, get a room, you two. Two anonymous posters ticking each other off (? Perhaps you really are Blanche and Nigel?) gets old very quickly, especially when they cartry it on from thread to thread.
    I've given him my room key, but he doesn't want to be in the same room as someone who voted for Brexit.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.

No

“Derangement Syndrome” definitely exists. It is generally on the Left (for now, in the West) but can definitely also be found on the Right. It is one of the most peculiar new evolutions of our time; it is surely driven by social media

It is a thing

Yeah except no. We could just as easily talk about Marxist derangement syndrome. You know, how teaching children that colonial history wasn't heroic.. MARXISM! and how wanting to prevent runaway climate change.. MARXISM! and allowing women not to be the unwilling vessels for a child they don't want.. MARXISM!

Remember how Ed Miliband was described as "Stalinist" by the Daily Mail? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.

No

It is a thing

Yeah except no. We could just as easily talk about Marxist derangement syndrome. You know, how teaching children that colonial history wasn't heroic.. MARXISM! and how wanting to prevent runaway climate change.. MARXISM! and allowing not to be the unwilling vessels for a child they don't want.. MARXISM!

Remember how Ed Miliband was described as "Stalinist" by the Daily Mail? :lol::lol::lol:
    Didn't they prove it was genetic?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

The drip drip of conservative mps sending in letters will hopefully gain momentum over this holiday period triggering the 54 needed on their return as they mix at various jubilee parties and find out how toxic Boris is

I can
    This pantomime with the letters feels like it's been going on since about 1872, and to what effect?

The mythical number will likely never be reached, and if it is the vast majority of them will vote to keep Johnson anyway. A fitting tribute to the near total lack of talent offered by the Parliamentary Conservative Party.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,492
    Not to alarm @Leon or anything, but we seem to be getting more virulent again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1529965612956405761
    BA.2.12.1 and BA.4/BA.5 characterized in human lung cells and an experimental model by @SystemsVirology

—All 3 Omicron subvariants have enhanced replication in lung cells compared w/ BA.2
    —BA.4/5 is more pathogenic than BA.2 in animal model
    https://biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.05.26.493539v1
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    I understand. Boris Johnson apologists generally have difficulty with paying attention beyond a few seconds.
    Scholz apologists, on the other hand..
    I am not an apologist for him. The German nation has moved form being a militaristic nation to a pacifist one. You are clearly too dim to realise this and make sweeping generalisations and judgements based on childish anti-German prejudice.
    Ok Nigelforgermanappeasementpolicies.
    Oh dear. Playground stuff. If you want to debate with the grownups you ought to wait until you have graduated to senior school.
    It'll take some more effort to convince me that you're a grown up. You resort to crude expletive laden abuse at such a low threshold; you remind me of the stupidest children at school.
    I have always enjoyed a good expletive. A prudish disdain for it only shows your lack of class and style that fits well with your low intellect excuses for xenophobia.
    I swore at you in German in reply on the last thread. And I'll do it again; Schwanzlutscher.

Your crass rants are really low powered. As I said, you remind me of the stupid children from when I was at school.
    If I am one of those stupid children you must have had the pointy hat on with a D on it because I don't think any impartial observer would think you are winning this exchange
    The one which started with you throwing a "fuck yourself" hissy fit on the last thread because I called you Nigelforgermany?

You winner.
    I would happily be for Germany. It's a country with a complicated history, particularly in the field of armed conflict, to put it mildly. It has pursued, misguidedly for decades, a policy of Ostpolitik. I think there is a complicated national psychology, in that the Soviet Union played a key role (arguably the key role) in ending Nazism and not just in the East. It's by no meaning a feeling of gratitude but there is a something towards Russia that surprised me when I lived there. It wasn't a fear either, but a sense they were so powerful as demanding attention. Secondly, because of the aforementioned history, Germany became intensely pacifist. For decades they have had both a tolerance towards Russia and an aversion to armed conflict. I once spoke to a friend over a few beers and he, very educated young man, believed there was something innately evil at the heart of Germany. I think there is a determination to minimise suffering by whatever means, after all a humane war is a quick war.

I believe both those things are misguided, but I also don't expect them to go away over night. Of all the triggers in the German psyche, armed conflict and Russia must top the list. Armed conflict with Russia, however remote a prospect is apocalyptic. As it was the last time.

Time will march on, Germany will eventually act like the Great Power it is and understanding that its wealth gives it obligations. It will take time, and I wish they'd hurry up but it is a lot of history to get over.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Nigelb said:

BA.2.12.1 and BA.4/BA.5 characterized in human lung cells and an experimental model by @SystemsVirology

—All 3 Omicron subvariants have enhanced replication in lung cells compared w/ BA.2

Paging bag lady....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,492

Nigelb said:

Paging bag lady....
    Don't.
    She might double bag..
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Farooq said:
    Listening to the press conference from the school just now, hearing the account by the police of their utter incompetence flanked by a group of all men in their cowboy hats (no women anywhere) the utter contempt by the press for each and everyone of them was palpable

When you see the state of the US today you can only be grateful we live in a country where we are not allowed to own firearms
    No, we should be glad we live in a country without Americans. Most Swiss households have a gun, but they don't go around murdering children.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Paging bag lady....
    "Single survivor from bus trip tells of home-made live-saving invention"
    ..even though there was audible sniggering from my fellow passengers. I even caught one of them taking a photo of me. But they're all dead now.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Fenman said:

Farooq said:

No, we should be glad we live in a country without Americans. Most Swiss households have a gun, but they don't go around murdering children.
    no ammo
  • Options
    Thought it was quite interesting that preveraence of covid in uk is the same as start of last December.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,410
    Nigelb said:

You can see where this is heading...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/1529930193481220110
    The governor of Oklahoma, who just signed a bill banning abortion, period, is being primaried by another Republican who says life begins *before* conception. Yes, you read that right.

Thought experiment.

Imagine it's a school history lesson in (say) the year 2122.

At what point does the precocious, bright but boulshy child stick their hand up and say "Come on Sir, that's obviously stupid. Were they all idiots in the 21st Century?"
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Farooq said:

Heck of a lot of guns in Canada too.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Paging bag lady....
    "Single survivor from bus trip tells of home-made live-saving invention"
    ..even though there was audible sniggering from my fellow passengers. I even caught one of them taking a photo of me. But they're all dead now.
    I do wonder what the bloke who was photographied walking through the centre of bath in a full hazmat suit is doing these days.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    I think most people reached the point where they are either happy with the lying spendthrift or not. More lying and spending may change the intensity of support, but not the direction.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Fenman said:

Farooq said:

Tom red t-shirt Scott had a good video about a gun range in Switzerland where your fire over a main road to targets in the hill side. Due to the shape of land if you lie down you can't hit the cars, but the fact they trust people to behave responsibility.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Jos Buttler single handedly winning the IPL semi-final. If only the likes of him.and Livingstone could play proper cricket.
  • Options
    T plus 19, systems nominal. this rose is a bit syrupy tho (Malbec).
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    I understand. Boris Johnson apologists generally have difficulty with paying attention beyond a few seconds.
    I am not an apologist for him. The German nation has moved form being a militaristic nation to a pacifist one. You are clearly too dim to realise this and make sweeping generalisations and judgements based on childish anti-German prejudice.
    Oh dear. Playground stuff. If you want to debate with the grownups you ought to wait until you have graduated to senior school.
    It'll take some more effort to convince me that you're a grown up. You resort to crude expletive laden abuse at such a low threshold; you remind me of the stupidest children at school.
    I have always enjoyed a good expletive. A prudish disdain for it only shows your lack of class and style that fits well with your low intellect excuses for xenophobia.

If I am one of those stupid children you must have had the pointy hat on with a D on it because I don't think any impartial observer would think you are winning this exchange
    The one which started with you throwing a "fuck yourself" hissy fit on the last thread because I called you Nigelforgermany?

You winner.
    I would happily be for Germany. It's a country with a complicated history, particularly in the field of armed conflict, to put it mildly. It has pursued, misguidedly for decades, a policy of Ostpolitik. I think there is a complicated national psychology, in that the Soviet Union played a key role (arguably the key role) in ending Nazism and not just in the East. It's by no meaning a feeling of gratitude but there is a something towards Russia that surprised me when I lived there. It wasn't a fear either, but a sense they were so powerful as demanding attention. Secondly, because of the aforementioned history, Germany became intensely pacifist. For decades they have had both a tolerance towards Russia and an aversion to armed conflict. I once spoke to a friend over a few beers and he, very educated young man, believed there was something innately evil at the heart of Germany. I think there is a determination to minimise suffering by whatever means, after all a humane war is a quick war.

I believe both those things are misguided, but I also don't expect them to go away over night. Of all the triggers in the German psyche, armed conflict and Russia must top the list. Armed conflict with Russia, however remote a prospect is apocalyptic. As it was the last time.

Time will march on, Germany will eventually act like the Great Power it is and understanding that its wealth gives it obligations. It will take time, and I wish they'd hurry up but it is a lot of history to get over.
    One of the key parties to defeating Nazism was... Germany.
    Stay with me now, this is a sensible point.
    We've seen in the past how military defeat can sometimes lead to more virulent militarism. So yes, the Soviets and the Americans beat Germany in the war, but that didn't mean the automatic defeat of fascism.
    Germans of the postwar era deserve a lot of credit for overcoming their past.

It didn't happen straight away. To begin there was a culture of silence, and memorials to the victims of the the holocaust tended to be vague or even absent. But in later decades, I think from the late 60s if memory serves, a more serious self-reckoning came about, especially in the younger generations. The silence was dropped and the world became a markedly better place for it.
  • Options
    Positive thought for the long bank holiday.....i will be working throughout, so no danger for me.

https://inews.co.uk/news/science/omicron-variant-why-reinfections-of-uks-dominant-covid-strain-are-set-to-rise-after-six-month-lull-1652135
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.

No

It is a thing

Yeah except no. We could just as easily talk about Marxist derangement syndrome. You know, how teaching children that colonial history wasn't heroic.. MARXISM! and how wanting to prevent runaway climate change.. MARXISM! and allowing not to be the unwilling vessels for a child they don't want.. MARXISM!

Indeed. Only yesterday the Telegraph was hyperventilating about a Hard Left Alliance. Containing, er, Ed Davey's Lib Dems.
    As for Ed M. The Tories have implemented his policies and then some.
    We might smile but Trump Republican's and Johnsonian Tories have both grasped that what people believe is far more important than the truth. Hence Trump's "Truth" social media project. Sadly, they are not wrong which is why both groups now poll far better amongst the less educated than has been the case during my lifetime.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    edited May 2022

Jos Buttler single handedly winning the IPL semi-final. If only the likes of him.and Livingstone could play proper cricket.

It's wonderful entertainment though.

And you know something I love about the IPL? In-between overs they don't see the need for ridiculous music, fire shows and dancing girls. The fans love the cricket.

I can live with T20 when it's done IPL style.
  • Options
    Read earlier on twitter that the Mail has a story saying that Keir and 'Angie' are unlikely to get FPNs, due to the Cummings precedent. Doesn't look like they've even got questionnaires..

@PippaCrerar
    Understand that Keir Starmer and Angie Rayner have not yet received questionnaires from Durham Police, despite some reports. #beergate
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1530238725954879491
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,153
    Nigelb said:

Currently in the U.K. it’s the dog that didn’t bark. Rising proportion of cases certainly, but not uptick in hospitalisation, which are still gratifyingly falling (under 500 a day in England now). It’s been noted that the places with big waves of 4/5 did not see much 2, whereas we did. Hard to predict the future, but my sense is there will be a bump, but not a big one.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Well I am beginning to think we are indeed heading for a VONC
  • Options
    Drakeford's destroying North Wales holiday industry from Cardiff

Tourism leaders in Wales have reacted with horror to confirmation of new occupancy rules for second homes and holiday lets. From April 1, 2023, the Welsh Government will insist that self-catering properties are let for at least 182 days each year in a move critics say will “decimate” the Welsh tourism industry.

Holiday lettings firm Finest Retreats, which promotes 29 holiday cottages in Wales, warned the challenging occupancy target will hit rural economies the hardest by driving up prices and making the country a “less attractive place to visit”. Tom Giffard, Welsh Conservative shadow tourism minister said it was a “devastating blow”, adding: “These new letting requirements will frankly be impossible for many self-caterers to meet.”

The Wales Tourism Alliance (WTA), which represents 6,000 tourism operators in Wales, believes 84% of the country's holiday lets could now be forced to close. WTA chair Suzy Davies said genuine holiday businesses will be caught up in a policy designed to clamp down on second homes. “Like dolphins accidentally caught in fishing nets, these businesses will die,” she cautioned.

On Tuesday, finance minister Rebecca Evans issued a written statement confirming Cardiff was pushing ahead with its plans despite opposition from the tourism sector. As with the Welsh Government’s new council tax policies, the approach is designed to tackle the housing crisis in Welsh-speaking communities in holiday hotspots.

The minister acknowledged that the stronger criteria “may be challenging for some operators to meet”. But she said: “The purpose of the change is to help ensure property owners are making a fair contribution to local communities, for example by increasing their contribution to the local economy through greater letting activity, or by paying council tax on their properties.”

To continue paying business rates, holiday rentals must be let for 182 days from April 1, 2023. Currently, the threshold is just 70 days. If holidays fail to meet the threshold, they pay council tax instead - and from April 2023 local counties will have the power to charge a council tax premium of up to 300%, effectively quadrupling bills.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096

Nigelb said:

The governor of Oklahoma, who just signed a bill banning abortion, period, is being primaried by another Republican who says life begins *before* conception. Yes, you read that right.

Thought experiment.

At what point does the precocious, bright but boulshy child stick their hand up and say "Come on Sir, that's obviously stupid. Were they all idiots in the 21st Century?"
    The way America is going it's more likely the school history lesson would be describing how people coexisted with dinosaurs.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I genuinely believe we are nearer now than we have ever been
  • Options

Tourism leaders in Wales have reacted with horror to confirmation of new occupancy rules for second homes and holiday lets. From April 1, 2023, the Welsh Government will insist that self-catering properties are let for at least 182 days each year in a move critics say will “decimate” the Welsh tourism industry.

Holiday lettings firm Finest Retreats, which promotes 29 holiday cottages in Wales, warned the challenging occupancy target will hit rural economies the hardest by driving up prices and making the country a “less attractive place to visit”. Tom Giffard, Welsh Conservative shadow tourism minister said it was a “devastating blow”, adding: “These new letting requirements will frankly be impossible for many self-caterers to meet.”

The Wales Tourism Alliance (WTA), which represents 6,000 tourism operators in Wales, believes 84% of the country's holiday lets could now be forced to close. WTA chair Suzy Davies said genuine holiday businesses will be caught up in a policy designed to clamp down on second homes. “Like dolphins accidentally caught in fishing nets, these businesses will die,” she cautioned.

On Tuesday, finance minister Rebecca Evans issued a written statement confirming Cardiff was pushing ahead with its plans despite opposition from the tourism sector. As with the Welsh Government’s new council tax policies, the approach is designed to tackle the housing crisis in Welsh-speaking communities in holiday hotspots.

The minister acknowledged that the stronger criteria “may be challenging for some operators to meet”. But she said: “The purpose of the change is to help ensure property owners are making a fair contribution to local communities, for example by increasing their contribution to the local economy through greater letting activity, or by paying council tax on their properties.”

To continue paying business rates, holiday rentals must be let for 182 days from April 1, 2023. Currently, the threshold is just 70 days. If holidays fail to meet the threshold, they pay council tax instead - and from April 2023 local counties will have the power to charge a council tax premium of up to 300%, effectively quadrupling bills.

Sorry, this looks like great news. Why should properties that are empty for 294 days a year get a tax break?
    Let people live there instead of keeping them empty for occasional holidaymakers. Good work Welsh Labour.
  • Options

Corbynism in action....
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Sorry, this looks like great news. Why should properties that are empty for 294 days a year get a tax break?
    Let people live there instead of keeping them empty for occasional holidaymakers. Good work Welsh Labour.
    You clearly do not understand just how toxic this is for Welsh labour here in the heart of the North Wales holiday industry which is about to have a tourist tax put on them from Drakeford as well
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970

Read earlier on twitter that the Mail has a story saying that Keir and 'Angie' are unlikely to get FPNs, due to the Cummings precedent. Doesn't look like they've even got questionnaires..

@PippaCrerar
    Understand that Keir Starmer and Angie Rayner have not yet received questionnaires from Durham Police, despite some reports. #beergate

The Heil will become very excited about police incompetence. In Durham, not London!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,319

Positive thought for the long bank holiday.....i will be working throughout, so no danger for me.

https://inews.co.uk/news/science/omicron-variant-why-reinfections-of-uks-dominant-covid-strain-are-set-to-rise-after-six-month-lull-1652135

Covid derangement syndrome, the other variant where people imagine the nasty virus has been conquered so we can burn our masks, make fun of Greek ladies on buses, and party like it's 1999 2020 in Downing Street.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.

No

It is a thing

Indeed. Only yesterday the Telegraph was hyperventilating about a Hard Left Alliance. Containing, er, Ed Davey's Lib Dems.
    As for Ed M. The Tories have implemented his policies and then some.
    We might smile but Trump Republican's and Johnsonian Tories have both grasped that what people believe is far more important than the truth. Hence Trump's "Truth" social media project. Sadly, they are not wrong which is why both groups now poll far better amongst the less educated than has been the case during my lifetime.
    Yes.
    Although it is interesting to note that every form of new mass media has followed the same pattern.
    Wild assertions and manipulations cause unrest until society figures out how to use it properly.
    The Civil War was stoked by propaganda spread by pamphleteering.
    I'm of the view it works great right up until the moment it doesn't. See climate change as a cultural cleavage in last week's Australian election.
    My kids simply automatically disbelieve anything they read on the Internet as their default setting.
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 144
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

We've seen in the past how military defeat can sometimes lead to more virulent militarism. So yes, the Soviets and the Americans beat Germany in the war, but that didn't mean the automatic defeat of fascism.

It didn't happen straight away. To begin there was a culture of silence, and memorials to the victims of the the holocaust tended to be vague or even absent. But in later decades, I think from the late 60s if memory serves, a more serious self-reckoning came about, especially in the younger generations. The silence was dropped and the world became a markedly better place for it.
    An emasculated Germany (in foreign policy and defence) was also the NATO aim during the Cold War.

It also greatly suited France, which saw (and arguably still sees) the purpose of the EU in its original incarnation as a pedestal from which German economic heft could be used to project French power (not how it ultimately ended up, but Macron may yet get his way!).
  • Options

Farooq said:

You clearly do not understand just how toxic this is for Welsh labour here in the heart of the North Wales holiday industry which is about to have a tourist tax put on them from Drakeford as well
    Maybe I just care about affordable housing more. Your empty-house policy leaves me as cold as a homeless person.
  • Options
    The danger for Starmer has only ever been that the plod might go for the politicial fudge of saying that could be considered a minor breach of subsection 28 paragraoh 4 if the regulations. At time would have advised individuals of this and asked for adherence to the rules and no more. Thus it can be claimed he isn't totally innocent.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,319

Heathener said:

I genuinely believe we are nearer now than we have ever been
    We always are nearer to a VONC than ever but what we forget is that when Graham Brady counts to the magic 50-odd, he then telephones each writer to ask if they really mean it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Heathener said:

Do you mean a leadership challenge ?
    A VONC would be won very easily in the Commons by Johnson
  • Options
    LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

An emasculated Germany (in foreign policy and defence) was also the NATO aim during the Cold War.

It also greatly suited France, which saw (and arguably still sees) the purpose of the EU in its original incarnation as a pedestal from which German economic heft could be used to project French power (not how it ultimately ended up, but Macron may yet get his way!).

The political culture in Germany is not purely internally cultivated, it was actively encouraged from abroad.
    Why didn’t we also discourage them from funding murderous dictators..
  • Options
    LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

The political culture in Germany is not purely internally cultivated, it was actively encouraged from abroad.
    Yes, no dispute from me about it coming from outwith as well as from within.
    I'm just advocating for remembering the later German generation's contribution to defusing that hatred and militarism.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Maybe I just care about affordable housing more. Your empty-house policy leaves me as cold as a homeless person.
    Destroying the holiday industry losing thousands of jobs in businesses across North Wales is madness and could only be dreamt up by a Corbynista who just does not understand the local economy and simply does not care
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,134

I can
    But (on topic) Mr Johnson hasn't even broken the new Ministerial Code now, so why would MPs want to get rid of him? I am also convinced Starmer and Rayner will get their FPNs shortly as I am hopeful Durham Constabulary will be substantially more rigorous than the Met.which should also bolster confidence in Mr Johnson.
  • Options

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

Because we have a good line in the same?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Farooq said:

OTOH increasing the tax take from these properties by 300% could be argued to be a form of compensation for their sitting empty for most of the year. Those houses contribute very little to the local economy when uninhabited.

Besides which, Mr Drakeford is hardly going to worry about losing the support of a handful of holiday let owners in Conwy now is he? They're not exactly part of his natural constituency to begin with.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    No, that was quite funny, I’m afraid. A clever parody of the German compound noun

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.

No

It is a thing

Woke Derangement Syndrome is a thing too, I reckon. It can be found on here.
    I would agree. Obvs I don’t suffer from it, I am cleverly wise and neutral observer
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,134

Farooq said:

I suspect those who are likely to lose out were already voting Conservative. Don't forget Boris Johnson's view is also one of " if you don't vote for us, we don't care about you".
  • Options

I can
    But (on topic) Mr Johnson hasn't even broken the new Ministerial Code now, so why would MPs want to get rid of him? I am also convinced Starmer and Rayner will get their FPNs shortly as I am hopeful Durham Constabulary will be substantially more rigorous than the Met.which should also bolster confidence in Mr Johnson.
    You know that that is not the case in the court of public opinion and his mps are about to find a torrent of criticism over this holiday period with a real threat to their futures

I expect the 54 to be reached by mid June

As far as Starmer and Rayner ae concerned I have said previously I expect them to be exonerated if they can prove they were working, not least as that seems to be the reason Boris was excused
  • Options
    edited May 2022

@PippaCrerar

The Heil will become very excited about police incompetence. In Durham, not London!
    The questionnaire is a strange new Met innovation to avoid actually having to interview anyone, it seems to me. No reason why it should have been adopted in more progressive areas.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

Covid derangement syndrome, the other variant where people imagine the nasty virus has been conquered so we can burn our masks, make fun of Greek ladies on buses, and party like it's 1999 2020 in Downing Street.
    She was wearing a clear plastic bag over her entire head
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

Because we have a good line in the same?
    I suppose our arming Saudi is in a neighbouring ballpark, playing the ladies' version of the sport. It's bad, but it's hardly the same as keeping the rouble afloat while Russia rapes and ravages.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Thought experiment.

The way America is going it's more likely the school history lesson would be describing how people coexisted with dinosaurs.
    Any excuse for pics of Ms Welch in a fur bikini.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Destroying the holiday industry losing thousands of jobs in businesses across North Wales is madness and could only be dreamt up by a Corbynista who just does not understand the local economy and simply does not care
    It's not really destroying it, though, is it?

These figures show that in the last three years before Covid, self-catering occupancy stood at 58%, 55% and 57%. So how many properties will really be caught up in that anyway?
    https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/statistics-and-research/2021-01/wales-accommodation-occupancy-survey-2019_0.pdf

And scroll on a page, you'll see that North Wales's figures are actually the strongest in Wales, averaging at 64%.

Even if a number of providers decide to drop out of the market, all that will do is increase the occupancy in competitors.

No, sorry, it seems you've been taken in by a scare story. The numbers don't fit at all with the apocalyptic predictions. Welsh Labour derangement syndrome, as Leon would probably call it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Heathener said:

Wot? Letters to Brady trigger a confidence vote among Tory MPs
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,009
    Carnyx said:

@PippaCrerar

The questionnaire is a strange new Met innovation to avoid actually having to interview anyone, it seems to me. No reason why it should have been adopted in more progressive areas.
    In what way is Co Durham "progressive"?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

That would mean that Mr Drakeford is right. Which is obviously an uncomputable statement for some.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

@PippaCrerar

In what way is Co Durham "progressive"?
    I did say "more": It's all relative.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Farooq said:

OTOH increasing the tax take from these properties by 300% could be argued to be a form of compensation for their sitting empty for most of the year. Those houses contribute very little to the local economy when uninhabited.

Besides which, Mr Drakeford is hardly going to worry about losing the support of a handful of holiday let owners in Conwy now is he? They're not exactly part of his natural constituency to begin with.
    You do not understand the holiday industry across North Wales is under attack from Cardiff and it is a huge contributor to our economy, jobs and local businesses
  • Options

Farooq said:

I suspect those who are likely to lose out were already voting Conservative. Don't forget Boris Johnson's view is also one of " if you don't vote for us, we don't care about you".
    It is not a question of political voting intentions

It is an attack on the holiday industry which supports thousands of jobs
  • Options
    LDLFLDLF Posts: 144
    edited May 2022

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

Well, quite. This is the consequence of deciding that your only foreign policy objective is short term business interests.

En passant, Oleksiy Arestovych, a slightly eccentric spokesman for the Ukrainian government, has purportedly declared that Germany, France and Italy would prefer a Russian victory as it would prevent the rise of a British-backed 'Warsaw-Kiev axis' that would be a threat to the current Franco-German axis that generally has called the shots in Europe of late.

So the Ukrainian government would not seem to be the biggest fan of Germany at the moment.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,239
    Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

I agree with a lot of that.
    Though I would add that it's important not to overlook the other big historical event in recent German history - die Wende (the "turn" , as in turning point) which is what Germans call German reunification. It looms almost as large in Germans' historical consciousness as the years of national socialism. It's an example of peaceful change or revolution. And was followed by very chummy relations between Kohl and Yeltsin.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Heathener said:

Slight confusion of terminology, I think - there are two different VONCs - a Commons vote of No Confidence in the government, and a party vote of No Confidence in the leader. I think the latter is technically a vote of confidence, perhaps?
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    Can anyone sane tell me whether to worry about omicron variants??

I’m having a hoot doing an odyssey around the world. I don’t want covid FUCKING IT UP AGAIN
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Farooq said:

It is not a question of political voting intentions

It is an attack on the holiday industry which supports thousands of jobs
    70 days a year? That's just a scam for holiday home owners to avoid having to pay council tax, dammit. No wondfer they are howling at losing that cheat. The new change is obviously fair. And the businesses will just have to be more efficient in their usage of housing space, as a vital wider public benefit.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

These figures show that in the last three years before Covid, self-catering occupancy stood at 58%, 55% and 57%. So how many properties will really be caught up in that anyway?
    https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/statistics-and-research/2021-01/wales-accommodation-occupancy-survey-2019_0.pdf

And scroll on a page, you'll see that North Wales's figures are actually the strongest in Wales, averaging at 64%.

Even if a number of providers decide to drop out of the market, all that will do is increase the occupancy in competitors.

No, sorry, it seems you've been taken in by a scare story. The numbers don't fit at all with the apocalyptic predictions. Welsh Labour derangement syndrome, as Leon would probably call it.
    This combined with the tourist tax will hit the holiday industry and believe you me it features all the time in the local media and Welsh news as various businesses forecast a fall in visitor numbers and a loss of holiday accommodation
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

I’m having a hoot doing an odyssey around the world. I don’t want covid FUCKING IT UP AGAIN
    Don't worry about the variants.

Worry about the politicians' overreaction to them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

Can't be long until we get OmiPox...combination of Omicron and MonkeyPox....
  • Options
    Student calls to 911:
    12:03—whispered she's in room 112
    12:10—said multiple dead
    12:13—called again
    12:16—says 8-9 students alive
    12:19—student calls from room 111
    12:21—3 shots heard on call
    12:36—another call
    12:43—asks for police
    12:47—asks for police
    https://t.co/CzkuF1llq1
  • Options
    Nice reply to Rory from Salmond's Scotland..

Rory Stewart
    @RoryStewartUK

The fact that it has had to be said repeatedly over so many incidents over so much time - does not change the fundamental truth:
    Boris Johnson is manifestly unsuitable to be Prime- minister. Every day he remains further damages the country.
    Speaking now on
    @GMB @RestIsPolitics

The Crossgate Centre #SupportsAlexSalmond
    @CrossgateCentre
    Replying to
    @RoryStewartUK
    @GMB and @RestIsPolitics

Nah - shove your nice responsible young man calling Johnson out schtick. You're every bit as much a Tory shit as Johnson. You're also security services & a contemptible #VichyScot who is committed to keeping in place English political hegemony over Scotland.

https://twitter.com/CrossgateCentre/status/1529808903416029184
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

This combined with the tourist tax will hit the holiday industry and believe you me it features all the time in the local media and Welsh news as various businesses forecast a fall in visitor numbers and a loss of holiday accommodation
    No, sorry, I don't believe you me.

Apart from anything you're pretending the tourist industry is solely based around the kind of self-catering accommodation being referred to. Hotels, camping & caravans are a big part of the tourist industry, and non self-catering accommodation drives people to restaurants instead of supermarkets for their evening meal.
    No, the more I think about this the more I think this is a good move. Prune out the holiday lets that are underoccupied and they become either better-run lets, or housing for actual people.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

LDLF said:

Farooq said:

Unpopular said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

You winner.

I much prefer your travel contributions. They are as sharp and as observant as your German ones are bland prejudiced and ignorant.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,218
    Mm

• Options

Nice reply to Rory from Salmond's Scotland..

Rory Stewart
    @RoryStewartUK

The fact that it has had to be said repeatedly over so many incidents over so much time - does not change the fundamental truth:
    Boris Johnson is manifestly unsuitable to be Prime- minister. Every day he remains further damages the country.
    Speaking now on
    @GMB @RestIsPolitics

The Crossgate Centre #SupportsAlexSalmond
    @CrossgateCentre
    Replying to
    @RoryStewartUK
    @GMB and @RestIsPolitics

Nah - shove your nice responsible young man calling Johnson out schtick. You're every bit as much a Tory shit as Johnson. You're also security services & a contemptible #VichyScot who is committed to keeping in place English political hegemony over Scotland.

https://twitter.com/CrossgateCentre/status/1529808903416029184

Didn't realise @malcolmg was working that shift.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

Not right this minute. Have a beer.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Apart from anything you're pretending the tourist industry is solely based around the kind of self-catering accommodation being referred to. Hotels, camping & caravans are a big part of the tourist industry, and non self-catering accommodation drives people to restaurants instead of supermarkets for their evening meal.
    No, the more I think about this the more I think this is a good move. Prune out the holiday lets that are underoccupied and they become either better-run lets, or housing for actual people.
    How much unfulfilled residential demand is out there in mid Wales? (How much tourist demand for that matter in February, even if "better-run"?)
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.

Not right this minute. Have a beer.
    But make sure you wear your plastic bag while doing so.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

You are missing the point that all these businesses you quote are about to be hit with a tourist tax on top of this

If this had been proposed for Devon and Cornwall or the Lake district you would have had a torrent of anger from the holiday industry

And by the way I do not lie
  • Options
    Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Heathener said:

Slight confusion of terminology, I think - there are two different VONCs - a Commons vote of No Confidence in the government, and a party vote of No Confidence in the leader. I think the latter is technically a vote of confidence, perhaps?
    Nope. Both VONCs.
  • Options
    Well it took 9 balls, but Livingstone just hit it out the ground.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

You are missing the point that all these businesses you quote are about to be hit with a tourist tax on top of this

If this had been proposed for Devon and Cornwall or the Lake district you would have had a torrent of anger from the holiday industry

Tim Farron is running for re-election on the very question of holiday lets.
    They aren't greatly popular in the Lakes with the locals who tend to rather prioritise having somewhere to live.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,535
    Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    No, that was quite funny, I’m afraid. A clever parody of the German compound noun

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

I stopped reading there.
    There he goes again.
    Oh, only one second.

No

It is a thing

Woke Derangement Syndrome is a thing too, I reckon. It can be found on here.
    I would agree. Obvs I don’t suffer from it, I am cleverly wise and neutral observer
    How about "Starmer should be executed because he wanted a Second Referendum" Syndrome? I take it that's not you either?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,969
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Fpt for @carnyx

The Saronic Gulf, indeed. As you can also see, Plastic Bag Lady is alive and well

Has she still got the orange in her mouth?
    She keeps lifting up the bag to quickly eat sunflower seeds

I suspect she is an expert virologist who understand viruses are remarkably polite, and always refrain from attacking you if you are snacking
    Brings a whole new meaning to the term “bag lady”.
  • Options
    Booooooo... Livingstone out.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Tim Farron is running for re-election on the very question of holiday lets.
    They aren't greatly popular in the Lakes with the locals who tend to rather priorities having somewhere to live.
    Yes but they bring in the income that no doubt supports many of their jobs

There is a balance to be struck but applying a tourist tax and reducing holiday accommodation is not one of them

I should clarify I have no problem with high council tax (400-500% uplift) on peoples second homes that are not available to the holiday sector
This discussion has been closed.