Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Putting two fingers up to Biden on Ulster is a big gamble – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    algarkirk said:

Aslan said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

The Telegraph is asking “will Russia invade Finland”

I strongly suspect the answer is No, but still. Disquieting

In a small, sick way it would be hilarious to see them try. The Finns would be in St Petersburg in days.
    The more that Putin appears to be an impotent fool the more dangerous it gets. Funny as the Russian failure is, we still need to offer them a way out. Forcing them into a corner where the only exit is themo-nuclear would be unwise.
    Way out: Pull out of Ukraine. All of it including Crimea.
    The obvious compromise is Crimea as an independent neutral state. Of course Russian delusions of grandeur mean they aren't prepared to accept this yet.
    Finland is one of those - neutral. They don't plan to remain so. Neutral states get invaded. It would either have western backing or be under permanent threat.
    RoI is soon going to look like a quaint anomaly, tolerated only because we all know the UK would never allow her to go undefended.

Some neutral states get invaded, some don't. The record is mixed in WWII.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Second Eurovision semi on BBC3 at 8pm!

I hadn't realised Eurovision got you quite that excited.
    Twice that if I'm not wrong.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    As with most things, the parochial feckers from these parts have their own Rape Seed Oil. "Yorkshire Drizzle" is the vaguely humorous name it goes by.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

As with most things, the parochial feckers from these parts have their own Rape Seed Oil. "Yorkshire Drizzle" is the vaguely humorous name it goes by.

So long as they keep winning the toss and asking us to bat they can do what they like.
    "Yorkshire Intellect" or some such.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,294
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Boris has surrounded himself with the best losers he can find.

On your first point, Brown did it as well.

Not really fair on Brown, I think. Even his first cabinet had some decent ministers (Darling, Balls, D. Miliband, Straw, Hutton), and don't forget that he eventually appointed Mandelson to a key role - the best Labour cabinet minister for many years, and one of the very best of any party.
    Also had Purnell, Denham and Kelly. Many might not agree with them on policy or whatever - but they weren't lightweights put there to simply to stop someone who might challenge the 'World King' from having a seat.

Johnson is pathetic.

Ruth Kelly. Whatever happened to her?
    She works for the Vatican now.
    She is just 53.
    I seem to dimly recall her catholic views got her into trouble at one point. I can't be arsed to google it though.

She was a Guardian economics reporter at one point.

• Options
    Arsenal imploding.
    Don't fancy going there needing a point if they need three final day...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,294
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Once you overlook the political slants, one true thing which remains is this: No-one really believes that separating out NI from GB in terms of trade agreements and relationships (ie the border being in the Irish Sea), removing the integrity of the UK single market, is really within the spirit of the GFA; just as imposing a border within the island wouldn't be either.

For myself I support a united Ireland, and as soon as possible. But others don't. What is missing in the debate, whether from the EU, DUP, Labour, LDs, the USA or the RoI is: what, with detail, is the plan which would work, be democratic, and respect the Brexit vote and the GFA? What do you want. They are not telling us, while blaming Boris.

If there isn't something coherent they want, there is little point in blaming Boris, who is left hold a Rubiks cube with no solution.

There's every point in blaming someone who a) campaigned for Vote Rubik's Cube in 2016, and laughed off claims that it would be jolly difficult to solve and b) ripped the cube out of someone else's hands saying her solution was rubbish.
    Point taken to that extent. But what is the solution all parties are happy with he is now avoiding? Yes, Boris is part of the problem. But I am unclear what solution the other parties want.

The problem is fairly intractable, as opponents of Brexit have always pointed out. How do you take the UK out of the EU SM and CU while keeping NI inside it and fully integrated with the UK? That's a piece of geometry that doesn't really work.
    The solution that Boris Johnson signed up to puts barriers up in the Irish Sea - so NI is no longer fully integrated into the UK. If he doesn't like it then why did he sign up to it? It's not like the problem wasn't raised at the time.
    There are two solutions that work in terms of geometry - a United Ireland (which the DUP object to), or the UK returns to the SM and CU (which the Tories object to). The fact that this whole mess was created by the DUP and Tories' support for Brexit is one of the ironies of the situation.
    Point taken. On a historical note, the (terrible) Remain campaign never campaigned on the basis that Brexit is a logical impossibility because of the island of Ireland and the GFA and that there was no solution. They were keen really to say we can leave but shouldn't.

My support for Brexit - somewhat reluctant - was because it was difficult to achieve in 2016 but would become impossible as time went on, and that would build a democratic deficit into a system we could not solve. The unsatisfactory chance had to be taken. There would never be another.

Fair enough. I think even Remain didn't really understand how intractable the Irish border issue was, because the English have always paid less attention to Ireland than they should (especially given they are still occupying part of it).
    I wouldn't have minded if the Leave campaign had said "Brexit will create a big mess and we will be poorer but it will still be worth it." That is a position that I can respect and understand. But they won on a false prospectus and have continued lying ever since. That is something that is unforgivable.
    I understood, and I'm a f*****' idiot.

Boris Johnson must have known that either a border in the North Channel or at Dundalk would trigger one side or the other. If he didn't understand that, where has he been for the last fifty years?

I suspect the reality is neither Johnson nor his hard Brexit henchmen cared not one jot. Perhaps their most disingenuous assertion since 2016 has been that the GFA is faulty because it never took account of a potential Brexit.

They understood alright!
    In a sense that, if true, is beside the point. Where we had got to in 2016 was that being in the EU was not a solution; there was sufficient momentum behind the anti EU movement. If that is true, there was and is no satisfactory way forward, including the way forward to doing nothing. Only a choice of unsatisfactory ones.
    Of those outcomes I backed, and still back, EFTA for now. Like all the others, unsatisfactory.

EFTA would have pretty much kept a lid on the NI problem.

No one voted Remain because they thought the EU was awesome, it just seemed considerably less sub- optimal than any alternative. Then, of the seventeen million versions of Brexit people voted for, Mrs May settled for a bad one and Johnson plumped for one which was even worse.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,294
    Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

In other unnoticed news, it seems as though the Euro is heading for parity with USD.

People in the UK like to think that the UK is a special basket case where everything is going wrong, yet look across the channel and suddenly our economy doesn't seem so bad. There's an economic disaster unfolding very quietly across Europe and just as over here, people are watching the alarms go off but don't seem to care that no one's at the wheel.

The last Eurozone crisis was a disaster for the whole continent and that was done during a time of benign monetary conditions so the ECB printing money and buying up debt from Med countries wasn't particularly controversial. How they might do that with inflation running at 10% is a question to which no one has an answer.

Fundamentally European (including the UK) economies seem broken. A decade of QE and asset price inflation has impoverished the productive young and now every country has got huge structural deficits with no easy way of cutting spending and an environment of rapidly rising debt servicing costs.

As I said this morning, the answer will be wealth creation at the bottom and preventing a concentration of wealth at the top. Whoever figures out how to achieve it should run to be God Emperor of Europe.

Italy is especially on tic toc alert I think.
    The youth unemployment rate in Spain is 31%, and that is the best it's been in 15 years. Italy is 25%. Greece 27%. It is getting to two lost generations in a row.
    Euro currency madness.

Italy may come to a head soon as Dragi's time is up.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,431
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

In other unnoticed news, it seems as though the Euro is heading for parity with USD.

People in the UK like to think that the UK is a special basket case where everything is going wrong, yet look across the channel and suddenly our economy doesn't seem so bad. There's an economic disaster unfolding very quietly across Europe and just as over here, people are watching the alarms go off but don't seem to care that no one's at the wheel.

The last Eurozone crisis was a disaster for the whole continent and that was done during a time of benign monetary conditions so the ECB printing money and buying up debt from Med countries wasn't particularly controversial. How they might do that with inflation running at 10% is a question to which no one has an answer.

Fundamentally European (including the UK) economies seem broken. A decade of QE and asset price inflation has impoverished the productive young and now every country has got huge structural deficits with no easy way of cutting spending and an environment of rapidly rising debt servicing costs.

As I said this morning, the answer will be wealth creation at the bottom and preventing a concentration of wealth at the top. Whoever figures out how to achieve it should run to be God Emperor of Europe.

The youth unemployment rate in Spain is 31%, and that is the best it's been in 15 years. Italy is 25%. Greece 27%. It is getting to two lost generations in a row.
    And yet, I’m in Greece right now. Yes, one of the more prosperous touristic islands but still. Greece. In the middle of covid I went to mainland Greece

It doesn’t feel like a doomed, totally dysfunctional society. Far from it. People are poorer than Western Europeans but they are certainly not dirt poor. Society manages and many (most?) Greeks have a pretty decent quality of life
    It's easier to be poor when you have good weather. I am sure a big part of the productivity of Northern Europe is because, most of the year, its hard to just enjoy the outdoors without some sort of activity.

That said, it's also easier to be rich in good weather. One of the reasons Americans are all moving to the Carolinas, Georgia, Texas etc.
    Yes, the sunshine definitely helps. The RELATIVE poverty means the Greek diet remains excellent. Lots of cheap local nourishing veg and fruit and beans - plus quite a lot of fish and some red meat occasionally. Endless olive oil. Strong family bonds

Lots of sunshine plus good health and a pleasant daily life can make a fucked economy quite tolerable, perhaps indefinitely
  • Options

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Boris has surrounded himself with the best losers he can find.

On your first point, Brown did it as well.

Not really fair on Brown, I think. Even his first cabinet had some decent ministers (Darling, Balls, D. Miliband, Straw, Hutton), and don't forget that he eventually appointed Mandelson to a key role - the best Labour cabinet minister for many years, and one of the very best of any party.
    Also had Purnell, Denham and Kelly. Many might not agree with them on policy or whatever - but they weren't lightweights put there to simply to stop someone who might challenge the 'World King' from having a seat.

Johnson is pathetic.

Ruth Kelly. Whatever happened to her?
    She works for the Vatican now.
    She is just 53.
    I seem to dimly recall her catholic views got her into trouble at one point. I can't be arsed to google it though.

She was a Guardian economics reporter at one point.

Opus Dei. Of the barbed wire underwear tendency. Seems like a character from a bygone political age.
    Yet a few years younger than the PM.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,278
    I can't believe we haven't come up with a new name for rape seed.

I'm slightly amused to discover that it comes to English from the Latin 'rapum', which means turnip.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

No.

More to the point, would Russia have invaded Ukraine if NATO and the USA had said by last Christmas that they were all agreed that they would treat an attack on Ukraine as an attack on all NATO members. As it seems they are now doing with Finland and Sweden.

I think No. And it is a missed opportunity. Russia has yet to place a boot on NATO guaranteed territory. 70 years is a long time.
    The answer is not "No" any longer, it is "probably not." This is like PB's armchair Dad's Army dismissing the nuclear danger. It probably won't happen, but it has gone from a 10000-1 shot to 100-1, and this shortening matters.

' “Strider” I am to one fat man who lives within a day's march of foes that would freeze his heart or lay his little town in ruin, if he were not guarded ceaselessly.'
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    I see Republican politics doesn’t get any less insane.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1524782858602172417
    It appears the Missouri House and Senate have passed a gag rule forbidding pharmacists from proactively questioning the efficacy of ivermectin treatment for anything. https://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills221/hlrbillspdf/4028H.06S.pdf

Aggressive anti-science I expect.
    But what happened to free speech ?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669

algarkirk said:

Aslan said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

In a small, sick way it would be hilarious to see them try. The Finns would be in St Petersburg in days.
    The more that Putin appears to be an impotent fool the more dangerous it gets. Funny as the Russian failure is, we still need to offer them a way out. Forcing them into a corner where the only exit is themo-nuclear would be unwise.
    The obvious compromise is Crimea as an independent neutral state. Of course Russian delusions of grandeur mean they aren't prepared to accept this yet.
    Finland is one of those - neutral. They don't plan to remain so. Neutral states get invaded. It would either have western backing or be under permanent threat.
    RoI is soon going to look like a quaint anomaly, tolerated only because we all know the UK would never allow her to go undefended.

A little known fact is Britain invaded neutral Iceland in 1940. Operation Fork. We had good strategic reasons but regardless it was an invasion of a neutral country.
  • Options

I'm slightly amused to discover that it comes to English from the Latin 'rapum', which means turnip.

Genuinely heard a drunk farmer saying the other day, about the harvesting-ploughing-planting sequence, that "the thing is with rape, to get it in as fast as possible."
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    As far as neutrality in WW2 is concerned, none other than Winston Churchill said of Sweden :

“(she) ignored the greater moral issues of the war and played both sides for profit"

The story of Swedish neutrality from 1940-45 is complex and nuanced as the military and geo-political realities fluctuated.
  • Options

Thanks for saving me from googling that.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Once you overlook the political slants, one true thing which remains is this: No-one really believes that separating out NI from GB in terms of trade agreements and relationships (ie the border being in the Irish Sea), removing the integrity of the UK single market, is really within the spirit of the GFA; just as imposing a border within the island wouldn't be either.

For myself I support a united Ireland, and as soon as possible. But others don't. What is missing in the debate, whether from the EU, DUP, Labour, LDs, the USA or the RoI is: what, with detail, is the plan which would work, be democratic, and respect the Brexit vote and the GFA? What do you want. They are not telling us, while blaming Boris.

If there isn't something coherent they want, there is little point in blaming Boris, who is left hold a Rubiks cube with no solution.

There's every point in blaming someone who a) campaigned for Vote Rubik's Cube in 2016, and laughed off claims that it would be jolly difficult to solve and b) ripped the cube out of someone else's hands saying her solution was rubbish.
    Point taken to that extent. But what is the solution all parties are happy with he is now avoiding? Yes, Boris is part of the problem. But I am unclear what solution the other parties want.

The problem is fairly intractable, as opponents of Brexit have always pointed out. How do you take the UK out of the EU SM and CU while keeping NI inside it and fully integrated with the UK? That's a piece of geometry that doesn't really work.
    The solution that Boris Johnson signed up to puts barriers up in the Irish Sea - so NI is no longer fully integrated into the UK. If he doesn't like it then why did he sign up to it? It's not like the problem wasn't raised at the time.
    There are two solutions that work in terms of geometry - a United Ireland (which the DUP object to), or the UK returns to the SM and CU (which the Tories object to). The fact that this whole mess was created by the DUP and Tories' support for Brexit is one of the ironies of the situation.
    Point taken. On a historical note, the (terrible) Remain campaign never campaigned on the basis that Brexit is a logical impossibility because of the island of Ireland and the GFA and that there was no solution. They were keen really to say we can leave but shouldn't.

My support for Brexit - somewhat reluctant - was because it was difficult to achieve in 2016 but would become impossible as time went on, and that would build a democratic deficit into a system we could not solve. The unsatisfactory chance had to be taken. There would never be another.

Fair enough. I think even Remain didn't really understand how intractable the Irish border issue was, because the English have always paid less attention to Ireland than they should (especially given they are still occupying part of it).
    I wouldn't have minded if the Leave campaign had said "Brexit will create a big mess and we will be poorer but it will still be worth it." That is a position that I can respect and understand. But they won on a false prospectus and have continued lying ever since. That is something that is unforgivable.

Boris Johnson must have known that either a border in the North Channel or at Dundalk would trigger one side or the other. If he didn't understand that, where has he been for the last fifty years?

I suspect the reality is neither Johnson nor his hard Brexit henchmen cared not one jot. Perhaps their most disingenuous assertion since 2016 has been that the GFA is faulty because it never took account of a potential Brexit.

They understood alright!
    In a sense that, if true, is beside the point. Where we had got to in 2016 was that being in the EU was not a solution; there was sufficient momentum behind the anti EU movement. If that is true, there was and is no satisfactory way forward, including the way forward to doing nothing. Only a choice of unsatisfactory ones.
    Of those outcomes I backed, and still back, EFTA for now. Like all the others, unsatisfactory.

No one voted Remain because they thought the EU was awesome, it just seemed considerably less sub- optimal than any alternative. Then, of the seventeen million versions of Brexit people voted for, Mrs May settled for a bad one and Johnson plumped for one which was even worse.
    The primary reasons people voted for Brexit were democratic control of laws and controlling immigration. EFTA addressed neither. May and Johnson, despite their flaws, were smart enough to understand if you didn't address the reasons behind a vote you just store up trouble. The europhile mindset of "let's just address the minimum technicalities needed" is why people like Le Pen are so successful.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Aslan said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Russia isn't prepared to accept that it's possible for a neighbour to be an independent neutral state.
  • Options
    kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Aslan said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

A little known fact is Britain invaded neutral Iceland in 1940. Operation Fork. We had good strategic reasons but regardless it was an invasion of a neutral country.
    I knew that. One of those "No means yes, yes means anal" situations I've always thought, and it certainly facilitated Icelandic independence.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

And yet, I’m in Greece right now. Yes, one of the more prosperous touristic islands but still. Greece. In the middle of covid I went to mainland Greece

It doesn’t feel like a doomed, totally dysfunctional society. Far from it. People are poorer than Western Europeans but they are certainly not dirt poor. Society manages and many (most?) Greeks have a pretty decent quality of life
    It's easier to be poor when you have good weather. I am sure a big part of the productivity of Northern Europe is because, most of the year, its hard to just enjoy the outdoors without some sort of activity.

That said, it's also easier to be rich in good weather. One of the reasons Americans are all moving to the Carolinas, Georgia, Texas etc.
    Provided there is air conditioning. One reason summer power outages & brownouts are problem whenever they happen in the summer time in US, esp in Southeast and Southwest.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Aslan said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Also the Faeroe Islands in 1940.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,338

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Aslan said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Also the Faeroe Islands in 1940.
    And innocent peaceful Tibet in 1903-4.

Disgraceful.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/24572145
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Point of order, the US dollar has been rising fairly strongly against all sorts of currencies over the past few weeks. GBP, JPY, AUD, CAD, EUR, INR, CNY, the lot.
    Of course - when people get scared, the US dollar goes up. It is the ultimate safe haven trade.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,885

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

They understood alright!
    Me too! I was trying to put it to Brexiters in 2015/2016. Total blanking.
    Quite right too.

If the shoe was on the other foot would you say that Ireland couldn't exit?
    Not a priori, cos it;s asymmetrical. It's not as if the three counties were tying to join the UK.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

No no no

Our original entry into the EEC was on a false prospectus. “No fundamental loss of sovereignty”. These false promises continued for decades “we promise you a referendum on the treaty, and on the constitution! - wait no we don’t because you might vote NO, sorry, fuck off”

It is therefore only right that Remainers and europhiles are forced to eat crow - as we now Leave the EU on a similar pack of lies, thus completing the cycle with an impressive and delicious irony

There is a lesson to politicians of all sides here: Don’t lie to voters. It comes back to haunt you

An unexpected admission that Leave was a pack of lies.

I am looking forward to the haunting phase of this, I have to say.
    But it's all the original lying ECophiles fault so in Brexiteer loonball world they're entirely justified with their pack of lies.

I always find YOO STARTED IT a most persuasive argument.
    I dunno

As we bombed the shit out of Berlin and Hamburg YOO STARTED IT was indeed persuasive
    Remoaners and EUrophiles = Nazi Germany or at least their sympathisers?
    Great that you've moved on.
    Lol. You guys still haven’t gotten over Culloden
    Not relevant. More of a dynastic struggle.
    That certainly isn't how it is viewed across the Highlands. It is definitely a "evil Brits vs good, decent Scots" narrative. Just like the Clearances, which was primarily Scots lowlanders kicking out Scots highlanders.
    Neither is true, so you're also making up history.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    Aslan said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

They understood alright!

The primary reasons people voted for Brexit were democratic control of laws and controlling immigration. EFTA addressed neither. May and Johnson, despite their flaws, were smart enough to understand if you didn't address the reasons behind a vote you just store up trouble. The europhile mindset of "let's just address the minimum technicalities needed" is why people like Le Pen are so successful.
    I am on the opposite side, but agree. The only positions that make sense are properly in or properly out.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,567
    Footballs going well. If you bet against Arsenal. 🤫

Paging Stodge and and Malc. I’m at the Knavesmire on Friday, what do you fancy from the card? I’m on every race, on what I can’t decide yet!
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,974
    stodge said:

As far as neutrality in WW2 is concerned, none other than Winston Churchill said of Sweden :

“(she) ignored the greater moral issues of the war and played both sides for profit"

The story of Swedish neutrality from 1940-45 is complex and nuanced as the military and geo-political realities fluctuated.

Henning Mankell would often hark back to the duality of Sweden’s WW2 and after history in his Wallander books (not the bollocks effort with Branagh on tv).

I think for the Swedish left it is a difficult part of their history around elements of pro-nazi sentiment in Sweden and for the Swedish right maybe the neutrality of the Cold War period is tricky.

I imagine Stuart Dickson can give better insight or correct me but from this and talking to Swedish friends it’s quite a complicated neutrality.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Agree. The only thing worse than the Brexit campaign was the Remain one. The Brexit campaign was mostly snake oil salesmen, the Remain one was badly conducted on behalf of usually decent politicians who for 40 years had forgotten some fundamental principles of democracy in their desire to follow a respectable project.

The Remain campaign was a disgrace, just so poor.
    I don't think the EU is especially undemocratic, or perhaps more accurately I can see why people feel that way about it and I don't think it is perfect in that regard but I think whenever you cooperate politically across a larger and larger number of people you surrender some of your freedom to act in order to have more collective power, security and prosperity, and I think in leaving the EU we have lost more than we have gained. Especially as our own democracy is so shabby and debased.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Point of order, the US dollar has been rising fairly strongly against all sorts of currencies over the past few weeks. GBP, JPY, AUD, CAD, EUR, INR, CNY, the lot.
    Commodities price in dollars essentially.

reliant on imported raw materials with low interest rates and/or no structural trade surplus?

see ya later.
    We are somewhat insulated, because we still have a reasonable quantity of domestically produced hydrocarbons, but for countries like Italy and Japan, it's going to be an extremely serious challenge.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    "I just wonder whether Johnson is trying to create a fuss in order to divert attention from his own troubles with the law"

...and the UK slowly becomes a banana republic.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    dixiedean said:

Thanks for saving me from googling that.
    Yes! It does not come from Latin via "rapere", which means to seize or carry off, as rapture, or enrapture, or "the rape of the Sabine women".
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Aslan said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

They understood alright!

I am on the opposite side, but agree. The only positions that make sense are properly in or properly out.
    Logically, yes, but when the country is split 50/50 perhaps a messy compromise would at least bring us back together. Right now it feels like the government is spitting in our face every day.
  • Options
    Something I only realised the other day, suede means Sweden.

It comes from the French "gants de Suède" (gloves of Sweden)
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,974
    Roger said:

"I just wonder whether Johnson is trying to create a fuss in order to divert attention from his own troubles with the law"

In an emerging banana republic none of Johnson’s idiocy or foul-ups would be reported.

Hyperbole doesn’t really help win arguments.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Agree. The only thing worse than the Brexit campaign was the Remain one. The Brexit campaign was mostly snake oil salesmen, the Remain one was badly conducted on behalf of usually decent politicians who for 40 years had forgotten some fundamental principles of democracy in their desire to follow a respectable project.

The Remain campaign was a disgrace, just so poor.
    I don't think the EU is especially undemocratic, or perhaps more accurately I can see why people feel that way about it and I don't think it is perfect in that regard but I think whenever you cooperate politically across a larger and larger number of people you surrender some of your freedom to act in order to have more collective power, security and prosperity, and I think in leaving the EU we have lost more than we have gained. Especially as our own democracy is so shabby and debased.
    But perhaps not as great a disgrace as the Leave campaign, which was effective.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

MaxPB said:

Look at the differentials between where US interest rates are headed and where EUR rates are headed. Somethings got to give. FFS where's the bottom of the euro versus the US dollar here?

10% inflation? That could be a conservative estimate.
    Don't forget that 10% inflation in the Eurozone would do a terrific job of inflating away some of that indebtedness.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    Applicant said:

kjh said:

Thank you for all the kind comments and likes on the last thread. Is there any way of seeing more than just the last 10 likes (not a problem I usually have)? It would be nice to see all the usernames that liked my comment.

It appears that walking without crutches is a piece of cake, walking without the boot not so much.

It also appears that my shoe is now too small for me. I also have nerve damage and can't feel the outside part of my foot. I knew this but it wasn't to noticeable in a boot. It is noticeable in a normal shoe. I'm now told that as there hasn't been any improvement that is likely to be permanent. I don't think it is going to bother me.

Re @Selebian's observation, no I am not a Nordic Lumberjack. In terms of my desire to do certain things:

a) Driving - speaks for itself
    b) Skiing - I had given this up but I had intended to give it another go this May/June with some easy glacier skiing. I have loved skiing particularly yellow run ski routes for the exhilaration, solitude, views, and après ski.
    c) Ladder - I have several hundred metres of hedges that I enjoy cutting with power tools, plus an Orangey that I have to get on top of to clean.
    d) Chopping wood - I love it, particularly when frustrated. I end many a gardening day with a session. We have 3 stoves and I have never bought any wood in over 10 years. I get plenty from my garden (the February storm provided about a 2 year supply that I am dying to get into) and also I chop wood for neighbours in exchange for a share of it. An axe a wedge and sledgehammer is all you need to take out your frustrations.
    e) Cycling - I do a lot less now but I do like the big trips and I was planning to cycle down the Loire in May/June (next to rather than in). I hope I can do it in September. Myself and a friend cycle greenways. I think it is comparable to @BlancheLivermore but on wheels rather than foot. Again solitude, but then also meeting great people plus lots of great food and booze.

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't verify, but I believe that if you go to https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/reactions/kjh?reaction=like on a PC you should be able to see them all.
    Thanks @Applicant but I think it only lists out the last 10 and there doesn't seem to be a scroll function. Would love to be proved wrong. @rcs1000 any ideas please Robert?
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Pulpstar said:

GBP EUR has been one of the more stable currency pairs recently. Crypto has turned to shit, the dollar has been strong, the ruble strongest....
    Controlling basic resource such as wheat and hydrocarbons which both the USA and Russia do is where the underlying strength is.
    You don't want to be reliant on the kindness of strangers right now. Europe is - I think ounterintuitively sterling would be tracking USD more closely if we were in the EU mind..

Developing basic resources like hyrdocarbons and wheat is where the underlying strength is.

Britain has plentiful supplies of one of these. But Net Zero, innit.
    We don't have plentiful supplies of economically viable hydrocarbons, and if you think we do, then you're an idiot.

Now sure, we could produce more oil & gas than we do, but it would be mostly offshore and through remediation of existing fields.

But it is far from clear that shale gas in Lancashire (or anywhere else in the UK) is economically exploitable.

• Options

Footballs going well. If you bet against Arsenal. 🤫

Paging Stodge and and Malc. I’m at the Knavesmire on Friday, what do you fancy from the card? I’m on every race, on what I can’t decide yet!

I’m slightly hamstrung with a dozen guests, drinking since noon, partying whilst trying to stop partner kickboxing the tv to death over a cheating spurs side (all looked fair and square to me). She should just turn it off.
  • Options
    Posting this because I sympathise - but also to note the linked poll, which suggests the Supreme Court’s judico-political activism might be a very large factor in the mid term elections.

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1524790303386902528
    Now, we care. Now we fucking care. THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN ON THE BALLOT EVERY FUCKING ELECTION FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS AT LEAST BUT NOW WE FUCKING CARE. They've been promising to do this for DECADES and now they've done it AND NOW WE CARE!?
  • Options
    Aslan said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

They understood alright!

But people like Le Pen aren't successful. Farage has proved more successful than Le Pen. He got his Brexit and fully UKIPed the Tory Party. Le Pen is just a three times loser. The last time by almost 60/40
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/12/us-congressmen-to-fly-to-london-amid-growing-concern-over-future-of-northern-ireland-protocol

'With the UK government poised to table legislation next week which could revoke parts of the protocol, arrangements are being made for at least half a dozen representatives from the US Congress to fly to Europe for a series of meetings in Brussels, Dublin, London and Belfast.

The delegation will be headed by the influential chair of the ways and means committee, Richie Neal, which has significant power over future trade deals'

So much for those who didn;t think US politics would notice the UKG's abrogation of a treaty.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Applicant said:

kjh said:

Thank you for all the kind comments and likes on the last thread. Is there any way of seeing more than just the last 10 likes (not a problem I usually have)? It would be nice to see all the usernames that liked my comment.

It appears that walking without crutches is a piece of cake, walking without the boot not so much.

It also appears that my shoe is now too small for me. I also have nerve damage and can't feel the outside part of my foot. I knew this but it wasn't to noticeable in a boot. It is noticeable in a normal shoe. I'm now told that as there hasn't been any improvement that is likely to be permanent. I don't think it is going to bother me.

Re @Selebian's observation, no I am not a Nordic Lumberjack. In terms of my desire to do certain things:

b) Skiing - I had given this up but I had intended to give it another go this May/June with some easy glacier skiing. I have loved skiing particularly yellow run ski routes for the exhilaration, solitude, views, and après ski.
    c) Ladder - I have several hundred metres of hedges that I enjoy cutting with power tools, plus an Orangey that I have to get on top of to clean.
    d) Chopping wood - I love it, particularly when frustrated. I end many a gardening day with a session. We have 3 stoves and I have never bought any wood in over 10 years. I get plenty from my garden (the February storm provided about a 2 year supply that I am dying to get into) and also I chop wood for neighbours in exchange for a share of it. An axe a wedge and sledgehammer is all you need to take out your frustrations.
    e) Cycling - I do a lot less now but I do like the big trips and I was planning to cycle down the Loire in May/June (next to rather than in). I hope I can do it in September. Myself and a friend cycle greenways. I think it is comparable to @BlancheLivermore but on wheels rather than foot. Again solitude, but then also meeting great people plus lots of great food and booze.

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't verify, but I believe that if you go to https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/reactions/kjh?reaction=like on a PC you should be able to see them all.
    Thanks @Applicant but I think it only lists out the last 10 and there doesn't seem to be a scroll function. Would love to be proved wrong. @rcs1000 any ideas please Robert?
    Phew: I could probably query the database directly. But that's non-trivial.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/12/us-congressmen-to-fly-to-london-amid-growing-concern-over-future-of-northern-ireland-protocol

'With the UK government poised to table legislation next week which could revoke parts of the protocol, arrangements are being made for at least half a dozen representatives from the US Congress to fly to Europe for a series of meetings in Brussels, Dublin, London and Belfast.

The delegation will be headed by the influential chair of the ways and means committee, Richie Neal, which has significant power over future trade deals'

So much for those who didn;t think US politics would notice the UKG's abrogation of a treaty.

And appoint its own envoy.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,212
    kjh said:

Applicant said:

kjh said:

@kjh you appear to be making progress which is good news. I am sure you will be fine without the boot soon 👍
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    boulay said:

Roger said:

In an emerging banana republic none of Johnson’s idiocy or foul-ups would be reported.

Hyperbole doesn’t really help win arguments.
    It doesn't, and I don't agree we are becoming a banana kingdom even with the grubbiness and lack of care Boris shows for institutions and protections, among other things, but I would nonetheless question your first statement. I think in an emerging republic things would still get reported, they just wouldn't lead to consequences - only when a transition had occurred would things not be reported.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Aslan said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

They understood alright!

EFTA membership would of course have returned democratic control of laws to the UK. Membership of EFTA does not require accession to any more external laws than membership of NATO. Nor would it have required freedom of movement unless we had also sought to join the EEA. A move I was personally in favour of.
    I thought EFTA did contain some FoM provisions?

Edit to add: since 2002 and the Vaduz Convention, the EFTA treaties have allowed for FoM between members states. However it is at a very significantly less onerous level than in the EU. There is no requirement - for example - to pay benefits to immigrants from other EFTA countries.

Edit to add 2: of course, the EFTA countries are all (a) rich, and (b) mostly a lot smaller than the UK, so the practical effect of FoM with EFTA would be minimal.

• Options
    kjh said:

Applicant said:

kjh said:

If you look on the main site on a proper computer (rather than vanilla on a phone) and click on the posts "likes", it shows who "liked" it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

Applicant said:

kjh said:

Phew: I could probably query the database directly. But that's non-trivial.
    When I right click on the likes for that comment and "open in new tab" it opens

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/react/comment/like?id=3922812

which then says

"Permission Problem
    You need to enable javascript to do that."

Can anyone else with better javascript enabled than me see it?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,982
    rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

They understood alright!

EFTA membership would of course have returned democratic control of laws to the UK. Membership of EFTA does not require accession to any more external laws than membership of NATO. Nor would it have required freedom of movement unless we had also sought to join the EEA. A move I was personally in favour of.

Edit to add: since 2002 and the Vaduz Convention, the EFTA treaties have allowed for FoM between members states. However it is at a very significantly less onerous level than in the EU. There is no requirement - for example - to pay benefits to immigrants from other EFTA countries.

Given the 4 other EFTA countries all have very small populations and are all substantially richer than the UK per capita I suspect those opposing freedom of movement for various spurious reasons would not have found much to argue about with EFTA FoM.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

They understood alright!

Given the 4 other EFTA countries all have very small populations and are all substantially richer than the UK per capita I suspect those opposing freedom of movement for various spurious reasons would not have found much to argue about with EFTA FoM.
    If you refresh, you'll find I added that to my post :smile:
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

It's quite hilarious watching English Tories trying to bully the Irish, as they have done for centuries, only to discover that the Irish now have both the EU and the US on their side. 🍿🍿🍿
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

Carnyx said:

It's quite hilarious watching English Tories trying to bully the Irish, as they have done for centuries, only to discover that the Irish now have both the EU and the US on their side. 🍿🍿🍿
    As long as there is no hard border in Ireland there is nothing for the US to complain about if the Irish Sea border is removed
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ooh, a delegation.

That delegation isn't going to do anything, other than express their 'concern' and that the Good Friday Agreement must be respected.

Once the Protocol is abrogated/A16 is invoked, the USA still won't do anything other than express 'concern' and insist that the Good Friday Agreement must be respected.

Once the EU fails to install a NI/Republic land border, because they're not actually crazy, that will be the end of the matter. The EU will be upset, but so what? The GFA will be respected, there won't be an NI/Eire border, there won't be a GB/NI border either.

Time will move on, and the USA will stop caring, because the Troubles are not coming back over "the integrity of the Single Market".
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,499
    Revealed: The great private school cricket arms race
    Independent schools’ desperation to secure the next generation of talent has led to the creation of a football-style battle for talent

https://twitter.com/i/events/1524687996863275013

• Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

As long as there is no hard border in Ireland there is nothing for the US to complain about if the Irish Sea border is removed
    Hardly taking back control of our borders is it though!

Either we have a border in the sea, a border on the land, or alignment with the EU.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

2016 EURef in Northern Ireland:

Remain 56%
    Leave 44%
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Nigelb said:

Posting this because I sympathise - but also to note the linked poll, which suggests the Supreme Court’s judico-political activism might be a very large factor in the mid term elections.

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1524790303386902528
    Now, we care. Now we fucking care. THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN ON THE BALLOT EVERY FUCKING ELECTION FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS AT LEAST BUT NOW WE FUCKING CARE. They've been promising to do this for DECADES and now they've done it AND NOW WE CARE!?

To be honest assuming I've understood the sentiment correctly it sums up what is wrong with American politics. No attempt to persuade those on the other side of the debate to change their minds, instead a desperate plea to their own side to care more. Because politics is a battle of wills and the side that cares more will win.

Except we each only get one vote and how strongly you feel doesn't make a difference.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Either we have a border in the sea, a border on the land, or alignment with the EU.
    Or a technical solution
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Independent schools’ desperation to secure the next generation of talent has led to the creation of a football-style battle for talent

That's Millfield (shot 1)
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Zac Crawley and the Cowdreys were at Tonbridge where I was at school. Certainly some of the best cricketers went to public school
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Or a technical solution
    The DUP/TUV don't want a technical solution, they want the sea border gone.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Whilst the Brexit vote holds up...no one seems to have changed their mind (let alone the new Tory core voters- white, ill educated men),,,The Tories will pull this kind of bullshit all day long whether or not it fucks off Biden
  • Options
    What we need to do is abruptly switch sides and attack America, with Putin’s help

Totally blindside everyone. Perfidious Albion at her best
  • Options
    kjh I missed your comment but glad to hear you're recovering and best wishes and get well soon.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Or a technical solution
    Or none of the above.

No border in the sea, no border on the land, no alignment, no solution.

We have an open border where we aren't aligned, but the border remains open anyway.

Solves every issue. Except "integrity of the Single Market" but that's their concern, not ours, so let them come up with a solution.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

They understood alright!

If you refresh, you'll find I added that to my post :smile:
    Much confusion here! No-one sane ever proposed EFTA membership without also signing up to EEA membership, which would have meant full EU FOM and automatic alignment with much EU law.

Theresa May got this right. It was impossible to get much of a coherent picture from the Leave vote, but the one unambiguous message from voters was a rejection of FOM.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What we need to do is abruptly switch sides and attack America, with Putin’s help

Does Putin have a rowing boat to spare?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Agreed. You go first, the rest of us will follow, we promise.
    America is a crumbling ruin, terminally weakened by Wokeness. We have only to kick at the door, and the whole rotten edifice will tumble to the ground
  • Options
    Leon said:

Except the US like Russia has more nuclear weapons than we do.

7 countries we can never attack are China, the USA, France and Russia, India and Pakistan and North Korea as they all have nuclear weapons. You can probably add Israel too as they almost certainly have them as well
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Or a technical solution
    Or none of the above.

No border in the sea, no border on the land, no alignment, no solution.

We have an open border where we aren't aligned, but the border remains open anyway.

Solves every issue. Except "integrity of the Single Market" but that's their concern, not ours, so let them come up with a solution.
    They have a solution, but you're going to complain no end when they implement it.
  • Options
    Fess up, @Leon: nice bottle tonight?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Zac Crawley and the Cowdreys were at Tonbridge where I was at school. Certainly some of the best cricketers went to public school
    That's why England is so shit at cricket.
  • Options

Tsk. I thought that YOU might get the reference
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tsk. I thought that YOU might get the reference
    I did.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Cowdrey made 22 Test centuries for England and Crawley made 171 not out in one of his first tests v Pakistan
  • Options
    Did you hear about the Englishman, the Scotsman and the Pakistani in the maternity ward waiting toom?

They're all three obviously, anxiously waiting for news. The maternity sister comes in looking concerned.

"I'm afraid to say that we've mixed up all three babies and we don't know who is whose"

Being a joke we don't need to go into why such a stupid system was devised, but they decided to let the fathers decide on which baby was theirs.

Obviously, as is God's will, the Englishman went first.

After a few moments he came out carrying what was, quite obviously, the Pakistani baby.

The Pakistani father was understandably angry and complained.

The Englishman replied,

"Well one of those two kids is Scottish, and you can't take any chances"
  • Options
    Right it is nearly midnight in this little village on the Aegean, the birthplace of Pythagoras!

nnnnnnight
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

In whiuch case - Brexit does not exist.

Stop trying to defend Mr Johnson's and Ms Truss's lack of logic.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    IshmaelZ said:

Genuinely heard a drunk farmer saying the other day, about the harvesting-ploughing-planting sequence, that "the thing is with rape, to get it in as fast as possible."
    The Americans call it Canola oil, which seems sensible.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cowdrey made 22 Test centuries for England and Crawley made 171 not out in one of his first tests v Pakistan
    Shame he averages (what feels like) 1.71 in all other innings.

Edit - yes this is a joke. I actually think he's a good batsman, but he hasn't yet consistently come good as I hoped and expected.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,253
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I didn’t know he’d improved recently?
    I think throughout his career he’ll always be known as John Crawleys son, even though he’s not.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,253
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edit - yes this is a joke. I actually think he's a good batsman, but he hasn't yet consistently come good as I hoped and expected.
    The danger is the John Barnes effect. Barnes is remembered for the astonishing goal against Brazil, and that makes people think he was better than he was. That 171 made Crawley look like the answer, but it is probably misleading. He’s decent, but needs much more consistency.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Did you hear about the Englishman, the Scotsman and the Pakistani in the maternity ward waiting toom?

They're all three obviously, anxiously waiting for news. The maternity sister comes in looking concerned.

"I'm afraid to say that we've mixed up all three babies and we don't know who is whose"

Being a joke we don't need to go into why such a stupid system was devised, but they decided to let the fathers decide on which baby was theirs.

After a few moments he came out carrying what was, quite obviously, the Pakistani baby.

The Englishman replied,

The version I heard was a Welshman instead of a Scotsman.

:)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I won’t mention cricket tonight if you don’t 😫
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Or a technical solution
    So why haven't the genuis Brexiter government worked it out yet? The same party that can't understand that electrified railways need the wires to run all the way, so you don't need diesels in the locomotives?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,368
    The US will bleat a bit but will do nothing. It’s hardly going to let this impact our defence and security relationship and no trade deal is on the table anyway. Frankly, I also think some Eastern EU and Baltic states may moderate EU actions at the minute.

As ever though, what’s most likely is some good old fashioned last minute EU brinkmanship, aided by a U.S. nudge, and a deal done.
  • Options

The Englishman replied,

Me too!

But I like it that the nationalities are interchangeable to suit the teller and the situation.
  • Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    The UK is not breaking the treaty (the GFA) that brought peace to Ireland. You're better than this Mike.
  • Options
    biggles said:

The US will bleat a bit but will do nothing. It’s hardly going to let this impact our defence and security relationship and no trade deal is on the table anyway. Frankly, I also think some Eastern EU and Baltic states may moderate EU actions at the minute.

As ever though, what’s most likely is some good old fashioned last minute EU brinkmanship, aided by a U.S. nudge, and a deal done.

And what happens if the Tories' favourites kick off? They'll have to be bribed all over again.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Rand Paul continues to be the worst

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1524837072074330128
    ! Rand Paul just unilaterally blocked swift passage of Ukraine aid. He wanted the rest of the Senate add language to the bill he plans to vote against anyway bc debt/inflation.

He has this power because the Senate runs on *unanimous consent*, not nearly unanimous consent.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Agreed. You go first, the rest of us will follow, we promise.
    America is a crumbling ruin, terminally weakened by Wokeness. We have only to kick at the door, and the whole rotten edifice will tumble to the ground
    Yes, that is what your man Putin thought of Ukraine.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,368
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

And what happens if the Tories' favourites kick off? They'll have to be bribed all over again.
    Oh I wouldn’t start from here, and the DUP are way past the point that any U.K. Gvt should be telling them to piss off and grow up.
  • Options

The Englishman replied,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqc9uxypsc&t=70s
This discussion has been closed.