Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Putting two fingers up to Biden on Ulster is a big gamble – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited May 2022 in General
imagePutting two fingers up to Biden on Ulster is a big gamble – politicalbetting.com

One thing that I don’t think Johnson and team don’t fully appreciate is the big role Joe Biden and other US politicians played in the Anglo-Iriish agreement in the late 1990s which just about stopped decades of the “troubles” in Ireland. It all might seem a long time ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited May 2022
    Biden thinks he's Irish and would be categorically opposed to whatever we did wrt Ireland anyway.

Though it's interesting as soon as they criticise us, the US magically becomes "our closest ally"...!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,357
    Yes, and we must also note the Americans speak to Dublin, who might have a different view on the robustness of the Good Friday Agreement.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    @dyedwoolie commented on the last thread about frying eggs. And - hear me out - doing it properly is a lot more complicated than it looks.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Biden thinks he's Irish and would be categorically opposed to whatever we did wrt Ireland anyway.

Though it's interesting as soon as they criticise us, the US magically becomes "our closest ally"...!

That's been kicking around since the war. See also: special relationship; five eyes; cooperation in Ukraine and so on.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693
    rcs1000 said:

@dyedwoolie commented on the last thread about frying eggs. And - hear me out - doing it properly is a lot more complicated than it looks.

Tomorrow lunch = fried egg and artisanal black pudding slice roll ...
  • Options
    Not that big of a gamble.

Biden knows Britain is a close ally with regards to what's happening with Ukraine/Russia and plenty of other things too. He may say the right formulation of words in public to say he's respecting Ireland, but he's not actually going to do anything about it.

Similarly with the EU. Are Eastern European and even Scandinavian nations going to vote for a trade war with Britain over Ireland right when they're relying upon us to defend them? Yeah, I don't think so.

In completely unrelated news, first funny Daily Mash article I've seen in years: https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/large-swathes-of-history-off-limits-to-new-doctor-who-20220510220840
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,572
    UK's ground launched Brimstone for Ukraine.
    The use of what looks a bit like a flatbed Transit as a launch platform is... interesting.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1524778779364696066
    Finally, we can take a look at the ground launching platform for Brimstone missiles - it was developed by Britain in a very short time especially for the Ukrainian army. The missiles are already used on the front line, however the event we see is likely to be training.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    ·
    43m
    ⚡️Media: Russia may cut off gas supply to Finland on May 13.

Key Finnish politicians have been warned that Russia may cut off the gas supply to Finland on May 13 due to the country’s potential accession to NATO, Finland’s media outlet Iltalehti reports citing anonymous sources.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1524772908991660033
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Everything you need to know about cooking is on Youtube. Just type fried eggs into the search bar and send off your Masterchef application.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I have no inside info on what the EU is thinking, but I can't help feeling that the UK government's threat to impose even more economic damage on ourselves at a time of a massive cost-of-living crisis and a possible looming recession might not be entirely convincing - especially since they can impose retaliatory tariffs on UK goods with no big downside for themselves, but we'd be adding to already very damaging inflation if we did so.

Of course, this whole brouhaha might just be Liz Truss responding to Priti Patel's successful climb up the ConHome ratings by spending £120 million of our money to get a press release about Rwanda.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Ulster also includes counties Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930

Biden knows Britain is a close ally with regards to what's happening with Ukraine/Russia and plenty of other things too. He may say the right formulation of words in public to say he's respecting Ireland, but he's not actually going to do anything about it.

Similarly with the EU. Are Eastern European and even Scandinavian nations going to vote for a trade war with Britain over Ireland right when they're relying upon us to defend them? Yeah, I don't think so.

In completely unrelated news, first funny Daily Mash article I've seen in years: https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/large-swathes-of-history-off-limits-to-new-doctor-who-20220510220840

Is UK military support for eastern European and Scandinavian states contingent on the EU not imposing economic sanctions on us if we violate international law, then?

What actually matters to them, of course, is US support.

• Options

Applicant said:

That's been kicking around since the war. See also: special relationship; five eyes; cooperation in Ukraine and so on.
    Since 2016, Eurofederalist Lib Dems have been saying it about the EU...
  • Options

I think the EU would be mistaken to assume that more US attention automatically means more pressure on the UK's position. The US cares more about political stability (including security in Europe as a whole) than about the minutiae of a single market that Brussels sees as a weapon to wield against US corporations.

The US couldn't care a toss about the Single Market, but it does care a lot about what the Irish think.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

I think the EU would be mistaken to assume that more US attention automatically means more pressure on the UK's position. The US cares more about political stability (including security in Europe as a whole) than about the minutiae of a single market that Brussels sees as a weapon to wield against US corporations.

The US couldn't care a toss about the Single Market, but it does care a lot about what the Irish think.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-corporate-tax-regime-faces-new-threat-from-biden-budget-proposals-1.4840183

Ireland’s corporate tax regime could face a new threat from the latest budget proposals published in the US by president Joe Biden.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    rcs1000 said:

If mum hadn't died in October 2020 I'd swear it was you.
    Tbf her eggs were freaking awesome
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The use of what looks a bit like a flatbed Transit as a launch platform is... interesting.

Finally, we can take a look at the ground launching platform for Brimstone missiles - it was developed by Britain in a very short time especially for the Ukrainian army. The missiles are already used on the front line, however the event we see is likely to be training.

PIRA did it yonks ago. Not guided, though.
  • Options

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/irish-corporate-tax-regime-faces-new-threat-from-biden-budget-proposals-1.4840183

Ireland’s corporate tax regime could face a new threat from the latest budget proposals published in the US by president Joe Biden.
    That's business. Different matter altogether.
  • Options

Is UK military support for eastern European and Scandinavian states contingent on the EU not imposing economic sanctions on us if we violate international law, then?

Indeed and US support likes to have UK support, so its a virtuous circle.

UK military support is about alliances of friendly nations and eastern and Scandinavian nations can see who their allies are - and who they are not.

Germany and France haven't exactly won friends this year with the way they've behaved and the UK has. Ireland is not a nation you turn to when the chips are down and you need support - the UK is.

There is not going to be a trade war. There will be some huffing and puffing and bluff will be called, but that will be it and we will move on.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Does anyone take Biden seriously anymore? He's an international joke that makes Boris look good.
    Heaven forbid they release pisshead Pelosi on us
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,526
    Once you overlook the political slants, one true thing which remains is this: No-one really believes that separating out NI from GB in terms of trade agreements and relationships (ie the border being in the Irish Sea), removing the integrity of the UK single market, is really within the spirit of the GFA; just as imposing a border within the island wouldn't be either.

For myself I support a united Ireland, and as soon as possible. But others don't. What is missing in the debate, whether from the EU, DUP, Labour, LDs, the USA or the RoI is: what, with detail, is the plan which would work, be democratic, and respect the Brexit vote and the GFA? What do you want. They are not telling us, while blaming Boris.

If there isn't something coherent they want, there is little point in blaming Boris, who is left hold a Rubiks cube with no solution.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    edited May 2022
    Do A16 provisions still apply after a successful border poll? They are, after all, a solution tied to the GFA and aiui GFA continues to apply for the benefit of Protestants after any Irish unification.

Perhaps RoI might find themselves put in charge of A16 implementation (and it's end state) at some point in the future if the British insist on trade standoff.

As they did for Brexit, could the DUP be shooting themselves in the other foot now?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    FPT:

Spreadable butter is butter that is warm enough to spread.

(Rancid butter is butter that has been warm enough to spread for a fortnight.)

Last year I bought a butter dish from an artisan ceramic maker at the "Art in the Pen" event in Skipton. Never looked back.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Once you overlook the political slants, one true thing which remains is this: No-one really believes that separating out NI from GB in terms of trade agreements and relationships (ie the border being in the Irish Sea), removing the integrity of the UK single market, is really within the spirit of the GFA; just as imposing a border within the island wouldn't be either.

For myself I support a united Ireland, and as soon as possible. But others don't. What is missing in the debate, whether from the EU, DUP, Labour, LDs, the USA or the RoI is: what, with detail, is the plan which would work, be democratic, and respect the Brexit vote and the GFA? What do you want. They are not telling us, while blaming Boris.

If there isn't something coherent they want, there is little point in blaming Boris, who is left hold a Rubiks cube with no solution.

There is a simple solution. Tell the EU to go stuff their "integrity of the Single Market" and sort out the problem themselves.

If they want to check things on the Irish border they can, they won't, so that's it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    edited May 2022
    Nigelb said:

Brimstone designed with ground launch as a possible usage - rather like Hellfire. It was tested from a ground launcher something like 20 years back, IIRC. Though that may have been just for developmental purposes.

Shades of Exocet, a searchlight generator and a German engineer....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Biden's an Irishman until it comes time to fucking their economy over, then he's an American.

Ultimately, I don't think it's going to make a difference what the Americans say.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Does anyone take Biden seriously anymore? He's an international joke that makes Boris look good.

The one big plus is that he isn't Trump. That's enough for me.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,979

Yes, it's not clear to me why this is even used as a synonym. Why not just say Northern Ireland? Do we need a synonym for the name of a country?
  • Options

If the ultimate solution for Northern Ireland involves some kind of additional checks on goods movements between Ireland and the rest of the EU, what would the US have against it?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062

Not understanding why people might care what the Irish think is where a lot of English/British pols have problems. Centuries have been invested in that lack of comprehension.
  • Options

Yes, it's not clear to me why this is even used as a synonym. Why not just say Northern Ireland? Do we need a synonym for the name of a country?
    Shorthand, much the same reason that "Britain" is often used as a synonym for "the United Kingdom".
  • Options

UK military support is about alliances of friendly nations and eastern and Scandinavian nations can see who their allies are - and who they are not.

Germany and France haven't exactly won friends this year with the way they've behaved and the UK has. Ireland is not a nation you turn to when the chips are down and you need support - the UK is.

There is not going to be a trade war. There will be some huffing and puffing and bluff will be called, but that will be it and we will move on.

A country which makes its support contingent on agreement that it can break international law is not going to be seen as a friendly country for very long. It is certainly not going to be a country that can be trusted.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Biden's an Irishman until it comes time to fucking their economy over, then he's an American.

Ultimately, I don't think it's going to make a difference what the Americans say.

Biden thought he used to drive a big truck the other day. If we are really naughty he might get that creepy whisper thing he does out
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,199

Gardenwalker - Meet Calvin Trillin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Trillin

Trillin has written three books on finding good food in America: American Fried; Alice, Let's Eat; and Third Helpings. (I have the first two, and have enjoyed them greatly, over the years.) Trillin argues that there is wonderful food in America, and that you can find it in many cities if you ignore the Chamber of Commerce suggestions that you visit the imitation French restaurant called something like "La Maison de la Casa House". Instead you should look for the best local specialties; in, for example, Muskogee, Oklahoma, he was able to find wonderful barbecue.

Times have changed since he was traveling in America, but I think that his general advice still holds. Of course there are large cosmopolitan cities where one could find then, and no doubt can find now, great restaurants of almost any kind. He once explained that he and his wife chose to live in New York, because they are "big eaters", who enjoyed the incredible variety of restaurants there.

As for food tastes generally, Trillin once observed that food packages were being shipped all over the United States to people who missed some food from their childhood. And, years ago, there was a small store in the home of Microsoft, Redmond, which was selling British specialties, most of them foods to, I imagine, Brits working for Microsoft who missed them.

https://www.thebritishpantryltd.com/

Still there. Pub, restaurant, bakery and shop. Third generation running it.
  • Options

That's not true, Congress just voted through a huge package of tax reforms which are directly aimed at fucking Ireland over. Everything else is just talk.
  • Options

And ensuring that the UK is kept as a close ally during the conflict in Ukraine is business to.

There is no threat to peace from not checking goods between GB and NI. There is a threat to peace in doing so.

The only threat is to the "integrity of the Single Market" and Biden couldn't care less about that.

Or since he's American, he could care less about that.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The difference it will make is that the UK government is still pretending (absurdly, but it's a religious belief of the Brexiteers) that there's some great UK-US trade deal coming down the road, and reneging on the Protocol would very publicly blow that idea out of the water.
  • Options

If the ultimate solution for Northern Ireland involves some kind of additional checks on goods movements between Ireland and the rest of the EU, what would the US have against it?
    They wouldn't have anything against it, if the EU, Ireland and Sinn Fein are happy with it.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Boris claimed he had solved the Rubik's cube by putting it in the oven and charring it until all the stickers were black.

Oven ready deal.
  • Options

Ask the Ulster Unionists? Things are complicated enough without getting bogged down in this.
  • Options

I have no inside info on what the EU is thinking, but I can't help feeling that the UK government's threat to impose even more economic damage on ourselves at a time of a massive cost-of-living crisis and a possible looming recession might not be entirely convincing - especially since they can impose retaliatory tariffs on UK goods with no big downside for themselves, but we'd be adding to already very damaging inflation if we did so.

Of course, this whole brouhaha might just be Liz Truss responding to Priti Patel's successful climb up the ConHome ratings by spending £120 million of our money to get a press release about Rwanda.

Yes, this is very clearly about internal party politics rather than the national interest. Voters who are already less than convinced as the benefits of Brexit and who now largely regard Boris Johnson as a dishonest charlatan may be reluctant to reward him for exacerbating an already serious cost-of-living squeeze.

• Options

A country which makes its support contingent on agreement that it can break international law is not going to be seen as a friendly country for very long. It is certainly not going to be a country that can be trusted.

If we invoke Article 16 that's not breaking international law, it is quite literally a part of International Law.

Scene: EU/UK Article 50 Negotiations 2019

We are worried about the Northern Ireland situation, we think this agreement could cause problems.
    We are worried too, but this agreement is the best solution available.
    Not sure we can sign this due to the risk of problems.
    If you don't sign this, then we can not have any agreement at all.
    How about a safeguarding clause? The deal gets implemented but if the problems we are worried about come to pass, then we can take appropriate safeguarding measures.
    If you can take safeguarding measures, then we will need the ability to do the same.
    That is reasonable.
    *Article 16 is added to the Protocol*
    OK with the safeguarding article in the Protocol we are happy with this agreement.
    So are we.
    *Deal is signed*

Scene: Present
    Those problems we were worried about are coming to pass, we may need to implement the safeguarding Article that was put in the Protocol in case this happened.

FBPE style Twitter etc: WHAT!? HOW DARE YOU!? YOU'RE BREAKING THE LAW!? DID YOU NOT FORESEE THESE PROBLEMS WHEN YOU SIGNED THE AGREEMENT?
  • Options

Ask the Ulster Unionists? Things are complicated enough without getting bogged down in this.
    Ulster consists of 9 counties. NI consists of 6.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The difference it will make is that the UK government is still pretending (absurdly, but it's a religious belief of the Brexiteers) that there's some great UK-US trade deal coming down the road, and reneging on the Protocol would very publicly blow that idea out of the water.
    Bollocks, the USA will do whatever is in the USA's interest, just as it did with the tax reforms.

Besides if the UK voids the Protocol, as we are legally entitled to do based upon the Protocol's own safeguarding article, what is the USA going to care about that years later once the bluff has revealed that doing so was no threat to GFA?

Once the EU's bluff is called and no checks are done on the border of Ireland, why would America care about that at all?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Applicant said:

He doesn't "think he is Irish". He is American (in case you haven't noticed) with a strong Irish lineage. And, yes, like it or no, the US is our closest ally, particularly since we seem to delight in pissing off our nearest neighbours
  • Options

If we invoke Article 16 that's not breaking international law, it is quite literally a part of International Law.

Scene: EU/UK Article 50 Negotiations 2019

We are worried about the Northern Ireland situation, we think this agreement could cause problems.
    We are worried too, but this agreement is the best solution available.
    Not sure we can sign this due to the risk of problems.
    If you don't sign this, then we can not have any agreement at all.
    How about a safeguarding clause? The deal gets implemented but if the problems we are worried about come to pass, then we can take appropriate safeguarding measures.
    If you can take safeguarding measures, then we will need the ability to do the same.
    That is reasonable.
    *Article 16 is added to the Protocol*
    OK with the safeguarding article in the Protocol we are happy with this agreement.
    So are we.
    *Deal is signed*

Scene: Present
    Those problems we were worried about are coming to pass, we may need to implement the safeguarding Article that was put in the Protocol in case this happened.

FBPE style Twitter etc: WHAT!? HOW DARE YOU!? YOU'RE BREAKING THE LAW!? DID YOU NOT FORESEE THESE PROBLEMS WHEN YOU SIGNED THE AGREEMENT?

No-one is talking about invoking Article 16 anymore. They are talking about legislating to override the Protocol.

• Options

Yes, we get that, but there are different meanings of "Ulster".
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Bollocks, the USA will do whatever is in the USA's interest, just as it did with the tax reforms.

Besides if the UK voids the Protocol, as we are legally entitled to do based upon the Protocol's own safeguarding article, what is the USA going to care about that years later once the bluff has revealed that doing so was no threat to GFA?

Once the EU's bluff is called and no checks are done on the border of Ireland, why would America care about that at all?
    Your statement in the second paragraph about international law is, how shall I put this politely, not whole-heartedly endorsed by anyone who actually knows anything at all about the subject.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not really, the UK and US are still hugely allied and huge trading partners, it will make precisely zero difference to that picture.

You're oddly buying into the weird pretence the Irish have that Biden and other presidents were Irish more than they were American. He isn't and they weren't. America's interests will always come first and the US-UK relationship is of significantly higher strategic value and US-Ireland or US-EU. The Ukraine conflict and everything that has followed has won us a lot of friends in Washington and made the EU a lot of enemies.

No one in Washington will give two fucks about this while British weapons and intelligence resources are pouring into Ukraine to fend off the Russians. The timing of this is brilliant because the EU is very weak politically and the UK isn't.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Stocky said:

The one big plus is that he isn't Trump. That's enough for me.
    Until he proves to be so useless, you get Trump back.

I wouldn't ever wish that on the US.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The EU is far more important to the US's interests than the UK.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not really, the UK and US are still hugely allied and huge trading partners, it will make precisely zero difference to that picture.

You're oddly buying into the weird pretence the Irish have that Biden and other presidents were Irish more than they were American. He isn't and they weren't. America's interests will always come first and the US-UK relationship is of significantly higher strategic value and US-Ireland or US-EU. The Ukraine conflict and everything that has followed has won us a lot of friends in Washington and made the EU a lot of enemies.

No one in Washington will give two fucks about this while British weapons and intelligence resources are pouring into Ukraine to fend off the Russians. The timing of this is brilliant because the EU is very weak politically and the UK isn't.
    Ah, the old, "we hold all the cards" argument.
  • Options
    China announces it will 'strictly limit' overseas travel......
    Somethings gonna go off, probably Taiwan..
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Your statement in the second paragraph about international law is, how shall I put this politely, not whole-heartedly endorsed by anyone who actually knows anything at all about the subject.
    Does anyone who actually knows anything at all about the subject and isn't a raving fanatic who hates Brexit saying that its against the law to invoke Article 16 of the Protocol, considering that is literally part and parcel of the Protocol and the law?

Though I'll take the Attorney General's word for it that other solutions are legal too. If the AG is wrong, lets see it debated in court if need be, which court would have jurisdiction over that?
  • Options

Yes, we get that, but there are different meanings of "Ulster".
    The most accurate is that covering Antrim, Armagh, Cavan, Derry, Donegal, Down, Fermanagh, Monaghan and Tyrone.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Hmm, that's not really true though is it. The UK is far more important to the US because we have wholly aligned interests, the EU keeps banging on about "strategic autonomy". Do you think that hasn't gone unnoticed in DC?
  • Options

To habe three rather different thoughts in 10 minutes, I have long held that some manner of Campione d'Italia / Canary Island solution for RoI is one way to square the circle.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

We always did.

Theresa May folded them, at the encouragement of Philip Hammond etc. Thank goodness they're all gone.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh, come off it, if Bart only comment on subjects he knows about he will never be able to touch the keyboard. What an ineffective keyboard warrior he would become.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

To habe three rather different thoughts in 10 minutes, I have long held that some manner of Campione d'Italia / Canary Island solution for RoI is one way to square the circle.
    Don't you mean a solution for rUK?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Err, no. The US-UK relationship is hugely less important than the US-EU relationship, for hugely obvious reasons.

Ukraine is irrelevant, unless the UK government is so utterly bat-shit crazy and immoral that it's really going to put a ludicrous attempt to renege on a deal it not only signed, but specifically asked for, above the lives of Ukrainians and our own security. Not a credible threat, is it?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295
    edited May 2022

algarkirk said:

There is a simple solution. Tell the EU to go stuff their "integrity of the Single Market" and sort out the problem themselves.

If they want to check things on the Irish border they can, they won't, so that's it.
    As you were saying five years ago. Not too long before Boris then instituted a border cutting off one part of the UK from another.

Like he had wanted to do all along because he was jealous of all those other European countries.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The EU isn't even more important to the EU's own member states in the East right now than the UK is, let alone the USA. 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    I don't fully understand the issues with the current checks and the looming increased checks. But I don't think that the Government would be taking this step, and daring to be disapproved of by the Americans, if it was in any way avoidable.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Where did I say that, all I'm saying is that the timing is good because there's a lot of European countries and the US who think not pissing us off at the moment is a good idea.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Err, no. The US-UK relationship is hugely less important than the US-EU relationship, for hugely obvious reasons.

Ukraine is irrelevant, unless the UK government is so utterly bat-shit crazy and immoral that it's really going to put a ludicrous attempt to renege on a deal it not only signed but specifically asked for above the lives of Ukrainians and our own security. Not a credible threat, is it?

Yep, the idea that the UK will walk away from the US if the US does not do as we wish is beyond absurd. We have absolutely nowhere to go.

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

We always did.

Theresa May folded them, at the encouragement of Philip Hammond etc. Thank goodness they're all gone.
    Bart, when people already know you are a gullible nationalist fool, there really is no reason to tap on your keyboard and confirm the matter.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ukraine is irrelevant, unless the UK government is so utterly bat-shit crazy and immoral that it's really going to put a ludicrous attempt to renege on a deal it not only signed, but specifically asked for, above the lives of Ukrainians and our own security. Not a credible threat, is it?
    Name those reasons, since they're so obvious.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

As you were saying five years ago. Not too long before Boris then instituted a border cutting off one part of the UK from another.

Like he had wanted to do all along because he was jealous of all those other European countries.
    Indeed, I was right five years ago and am still right today. Looks like my view is going to be put to the test.

Boris instituted a border cutting off one part of the UK from another because it was an infinitely superior solution to the backstop and the Remain-Parliament we had wouldn't pass any alternative and wouldn't allow us to exit the EU without a deal.

We have a different Parliament now though, so its time to revisit the NI solution.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432

Applicant said:

He doesn't "think he is Irish". He is American (in case you haven't noticed) with a strong Irish lineage. And, yes, like it or no, the US is our closest ally, particularly since we seem to delight in pissing off our nearest neighbours
    The Americans set great store by lineage. And they desperately want to be Irish, and want you to be Irish. I remember staying in a bed and breakfast in Boston, the proprietor of which, making conversation, claimed to be Scottish. Oh, whereabouts are you from, I asked, making conversation, assuming I'd have a geographical connection pretty much wherever. "St. Louis, Missouri", he said. "But my great grandfather was from Inverness", he added, seeing my confusion.
    He deemed us Irish, on the grounds we had changed planes in Dublin and that my girlfriend possibly had some Irish ancestry, and introduced us as such to the other guests, causing much less confusion than you might think.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The EU isn't even more important to the EU's own member states in the East right now than the UK is, let alone the USA. 😂😂😂

Just because the Daily Express tells you that, Bart, doesn't make it true. No EU member state is going to choose the UK over the EU. The US is not going to choose the UK over the EU. Why would they?

• Options

MaxPB said:

Does anyone who actually knows anything at all about the subject and isn't a raving fanatic who hates Brexit saying that its against the law to invoke Article 16 of the Protocol, considering that is literally part and parcel of the Protocol and the law?

Though I'll take the Attorney General's word for it that other solutions are legal too. If the AG is wrong, lets see it debated in court if need be, which court would have jurisdiction over that?
    We could, for sufficient reason (which we don't currently have) invoke Article 16 for the specific purposes it covers, which do not include reneging on the deal.

The relevant court, if it came to it, is the ECJ.
  • Options

I think Russia's experience in Ukraine has significantly reduced the likelihood of a near-term Taiwan invasion. Simply: the damage a dug in defender can do is absolutely enormous. And Taiwan has a much, much stronger military than Ukraine, with modern US and French jet fighters - plus it's got the massive advantage of a 150 mile ocean that the Chinese would need to cross.

Oh yeah... and don't forget that most of China's military (with the exception of a very small number of modern fighters) is Russian tech.

I suspect that this is Covid related.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421
    algarkirk said:

There's every point in blaming someone who a) campaigned for Vote Rubik's Cube in 2016, and laughed off claims that it would be jolly difficult to solve and b) ripped the cube out of someone else's hands saying her solution was rubbish.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Just because the Daily Express tells you that, Bart, doesn't make it true. No EU member state is going to choose the UK over the EU. The US is not going to choose the UK over the EU. Why would they?

The point people are trying to make is that the US will choose the US. You and some others seem to be living in some odd universe where the US will put the objectives of the EU ahead of their own. That clearly isn't the case.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Indeed, I was right five years ago and am still right today. Looks like my view is going to be put to the test.

Boris instituted a border cutting off one part of the UK from another because it was an infinitely superior solution to the backstop and the Remain-Parliament we had wouldn't pass any alternative and wouldn't allow us to exit the EU without a deal.

We have a different Parliament now though, so its time to revisit the NI solution.
    You were wrong five years ago because you said almost word for word what you said a few minutes ago - that the UK would "tell the EU to go stuff their "integrity of the Single Market" and sort out the problem themselves."

Which they - the UK govt - precisely and absolutely did not do. They are now saying again that they might do it. So you might be proven right. But I very much doubt it. You will be proven wrong. Again.
  • Options

Applicant said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/joebiden/video-2437429/Video-Im-Irish-Biden-dismisses-BBC-question-unearthed-video.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/18/joe-biden-may-irish-not-stupid/
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

From a timing perspective, I think this is smart from the UK. Right now, the US really cares about Ukraine, and we're a key part of that. If the Ukraine war was over, Putin deposed, and oil & gas prices low... then his priorities might be different.

With that said, the UK has a very fine tightrope to walk here. A16 needs to be used only to ensure that the EU fulfils its treaty obligations regarding the trusted trader program - it should not be used because Boris didn't think through the consequence of signing a treaty.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The US is going to choose the UK over the EU because we are actually a useful ally that does stuff like send weapons, and because the UK isn't asking the US to do anything other than stay out of the dispute and not do anything.

EU member states don't need to choose the UK over the EU either, since they are a part of the EU and have votes, we just need them to veto any threatened retaliation. You really think the EU will unanimously get agreement to retaliate over Ireland at this present time? Good luck with that . . .
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmm, that's not really true though is it. The UK is far more important to the US because we have wholly aligned interests, the EU keeps banging on about "strategic autonomy". Do you think that hasn't gone unnoticed in DC?

Well, indeed - the US knows that the UK has forfeited any ability to have "strategic autonomy" and so the US can pretty much do what it likes with us. With the EU, which is far bigger, there is always going to be more of a negotiation.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

444.7 million compared with 67 million
    $17.1 trillion compared with $2.7 trillion
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

You were wrong five years ago because you said almost word for word what you said a few minutes ago - that the UK would "tell the EU to go stuff their "integrity of the Single Market" and sort out the problem themselves."

Which they - the UK govt - precisely and absolutely did not do. They are now saying again that they might do it. So you might be proven right. But I very much doubt it. You will be proven wrong. Again.
    As far as I know I never said they would, I said they should.

Sadly Hammond and the rest of the EU's useful idiots in the 2017-19 Parliament prevented that from happening. Those idiots have gone now.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Applicant said:

The Americans set great store by lineage. And they desperately want to be Irish, and want you to be Irish. I remember staying in a bed and breakfast in Boston, the proprietor of which, making conversation, claimed to be Scottish. Oh, whereabouts are you from, I asked, making conversation, assuming I'd have a geographical connection pretty much wherever. "St. Louis, Missouri", he said. "But my great grandfather was from Inverness", he added, seeing my confusion.
    He deemed us Irish, on the grounds we had changed planes in Dublin and that my girlfriend possibly had some Irish ancestry, and introduced us as such to the other guests, causing much less confusion than you might think.
    Well yes indeed, of course. If I were American I would consider myself Irish. I once had a conversation with an American who asked me if I was Irish, and I replied that on my mother's side I was. He said he thought so, and said that I had a face that was friendly but not one to be crossed. I sort of took it as a compliment, though wasn't quite whether he was trying to tell me he thought I was an ugly fecker
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    ·
    43m
    ⚡️Media: Russia may cut off gas supply to Finland on May 13.

Key Finnish politicians have been warned that Russia may cut off the gas supply to Finland on May 13 due to the country’s potential accession to NATO, Finland’s media outlet Iltalehti reports citing anonymous sources.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1524772908991660033

I can totally see what Russian means about how they are the victims here.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well, indeed - the US knows that the UK has forfeited any ability to have "strategic autonomy" and so the US can pretty much do what it likes with us. With the EU, which is far bigger, there is always going to be more of a negotiation.
    Ukraine has thrown the conventional wisdom about strategic autonomy out of the window so this is outdated thinking.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

From a timing perspective, I think this is smart from the UK. Right now, the US really cares about Ukraine, and we're a key part of that. If the Ukraine war was over, Putin deposed, and oil & gas prices low... then his priorities might be different.

With that said, the UK has a very fine tightrope to walk here. A16 needs to be used only to ensure that the EU fulfils its treaty obligations regarding the trusted trader program - it should not be used because Boris didn't think through the consequence of signing a treaty.
    Indeed, a very fine tight rope. If the EU implements the scheme as outlined by both sides the problems all go away and everyone shuts up about the protocol. That's the issue, the EU has dragged its feet on this from the beginning.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The US is going to choose the UK over the EU because we are actually a useful ally that does stuff like send weapons, and because the UK isn't asking the US to do anything other than stay out of the dispute and not do anything.

EU member states don't need to choose the UK over the EU either, since they are a part of the EU and have votes, we just need them to veto any threatened retaliation. You really think the EU will unanimously get agreement to retaliate over Ireland at this present time? Good luck with that . . .

The US does not need to choose. The UK has nowhere else to go. We are not going to pull out of NATO. We are not going to leave the Five Eyes. We might stop supplying symbolic military support to some Eastern European nations, but symbols are just that.

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,916
    Pro_Rata said:

Or turn it into a Crown Dependency as a fudge where the ultimate foreign affairs is in the control of the UK but can set its own rules and make side agreements with EU “outside” if the rUK framework as crown dependencies did when UK was in EU.

They just need to come up with something where everyone thinks they have a win - UK NI is still part of UK, NI unionists - still part of UK, NI Nationalists - not really part of UK, RoI - thank feck they aren’t part of us but also decoupled from rUK, EU - it’s not really UK so we can have side deals.

Everyone’s a winner, treble Jamesons all round.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

it should not be used because Boris didn't think through the consequence of signing a treaty.

That ship sailed out of Larne many moons ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Pro_Rata said:

algarkirk said:

Boris claimed he had solved the Rubik's cube by putting it in the oven and charring it until all the stickers were black.

Oven ready deal.
    This is true, but doesn't address the question as it is now and doesn't provide a solution. That's what politics is like. Yes Boris is part of the problem. So what?

• Options
    edited May 2022

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

444.7 million compared with 67 million
    $17.1 trillion compared with $2.7 trillion
    That's not an answer though is it, it's an interesting, but ultimately meaningless fact.

Also it's $16.2tn vs $3.2tn
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    I think it was right to accept that the border into the single market fell between Northern Ireland and RUK, assuming that both sides were committed to making that a frictionless border. It seems though that on the EU side, they are making every effort to make that border a very difficult one. It seems fair then to see if the EU is as determined to protect the purity of their market when they must apply those controls to the Ireland/NI border.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105

I don't fully understand the issues with the current checks and the looming increased checks. But I don't think that the Government would be taking this step, and daring to be disapproved of by the Americans, if it was in any way avoidable.

The government is picking a fight with the EU for the same reason it always does it - to play to its base and distract from its failings. It is also trying to dig itself out of the mess it created when Johnson stabbed the DUP in the back and signed up to something he had told them he wouldn't. The idea that the national interest plays any part in the government's thinking is charmingly naive. Have you been living under a rock?
  • Options

algarkirk said:

There's every point in blaming someone who a) campaigned for Vote Rubik's Cube in 2016, and laughed off claims that it would be jolly difficult to solve and b) ripped the cube out of someone else's hands saying her solution was rubbish.
    Point taken to that extent. But what is the solution all parties are happy with he is now avoiding? Yes, Boris is part of the problem. But I am unclear what solution the other parties want.

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But they also know the EU has no chance of strategic autonomy. Negotiate on what? The EU is wholly reliant on the US for its security, they know it, we know it and the US knows it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think Russia's experience in Ukraine has significantly reduced the likelihood of a near-term Taiwan invasion. Simply: the damage a dug in defender can do is absolutely enormous. And Taiwan has a much, much stronger military than Ukraine, with modern US and French jet fighters - plus it's got the massive advantage of a 150 mile ocean that the Chinese would need to cross.

Oh yeah... and don't forget that most of China's military (with the exception of a very small number of modern fighters) is Russian tech.

I suspect that this is Covid related.
    Well Covid is the excuse, yes, but it's not a response to any actual problem with it. Shanghai port is in a state of complete collapse, Beijing is not in lockdown despite the same situation as Shanghai, 350 million elsewhere are in lockdown in China and North Korea has just gone into full lockdown after its 'first' case.
    Something is going on that is not a simple and much less deadly than it was virus.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

As far as I know I never said they would, I said they should.

Sadly Hammond and the rest of the EU's useful idiots in the 2017-19 Parliament prevented that from happening. Those idiots have gone now.
    The point was that back then the idea of putting a border between NI and ROI was so out of the question that Boris instead decided to divide up the United Kingdom - quite a dramatic move one might have said.

I don't see that anything has changed such that it is not similarly to be avoided putting a border between NI & ROI.

It was Boris not some long-gone remainers who instituted the border in the Irish Sea. He could at any time since his 80-seat majority have decided not to. He did not do so. But now you think is the time.

We shall see.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ukraine has thrown the conventional wisdom about strategic autonomy out of the window so this is outdated thinking.

Yes, Ukraine has changed a lot. What it hasn't changed, though, is that the UK cannot walk away from anything that the US values in its relationship with us. In fact, it's made that even less possible than before.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,161

COVID related surely ?
This discussion has been closed.