Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Putting two fingers up to Biden on Ulster is a big gamble – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

MaxPB said:

Biden's an Irishman until it comes time to fucking their economy over, then he's an American.

Ultimately, I don't think it's going to make a difference what the Americans say.

The difference it will make is that the UK government is still pretending (absurdly, but it's a religious belief of the Brexiteers) that there's some great UK-US trade deal coming down the road, and reneging on the Protocol would very publicly blow that idea out of the water.
    Bollocks, the USA will do whatever is in the USA's interest, just as it did with the tax reforms.

Besides if the UK voids the Protocol, as we are legally entitled to do based upon the Protocol's own safeguarding article, what is the USA going to care about that years later once the bluff has revealed that doing so was no threat to GFA?

Once the EU's bluff is called and no checks are done on the border of Ireland, why would America care about that at all?

The EU is far more important to the US's interests than the UK.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The EU isn't even more important to the EU's own member states in the East right now than the UK is, let alone the USA. 😂😂😂

Just because the Daily Express tells you that, Bart, doesn't make it true. No EU member state is going to choose the UK over the EU. The US is not going to choose the UK over the EU. Why would they?

The US is going to choose the UK over the EU because we are actually a useful ally that does stuff like send weapons, and because the UK isn't asking the US to do anything other than stay out of the dispute and not do anything.

EU member states don't need to choose the UK over the EU either, since they are a part of the EU and have votes, we just need them to veto any threatened retaliation. You really think the EU will unanimously get agreement to retaliate over Ireland at this present time? Good luck with that . . .

The US does not need to choose. The UK has nowhere else to go. We are not going to pull out of NATO. We are not going to leave the Five Eyes. We might stop supplying symbolic military support to some Eastern European nations, but symbols are just that.

You're right the US does not need to choose, they just need to "tut" and that's it.

Then the world moves on. Nobody else cares about the integrity of the Single Market.

If the Protocol ends tomorrow and and a year from now there is no violence or threat of violence in NI, do you think the USA is going to be upset about that? The USA doesn't care about the Protocol, they care about the risk of violence - and there is some very real violence happening right now that we are useful allies in combatting.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

I don't fully understand the issues with the current checks and the looming increased checks. But I don't think that the Government would be taking this step, and daring to be disapproved of by the Americans, if it was in any way avoidable.

The government is picking a fight with the EU for the same reason it always does it - to play to its base and distract from its failings. It is also trying to dig itself out of the mess it created when Johnson stabbed the DUP in the back and signed up to something he had told them he wouldn't. The idea that the national interest plays any part in the government's thinking is charmingly naive. Have you been living under a rock?
    There are unfortunate parallels between our government using the EU as a bogeyman to distract from domestic travails and the way despots around the world attempt to find similar hate figures to smokescreen the more gullible amongst their population.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,625

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Biden's an Irishman until it comes time to fucking their economy over, then he's an American.

Ultimately, I don't think it's going to make a difference what the Americans say.

The difference it will make is that the UK government is still pretending (absurdly, but it's a religious belief of the Brexiteers) that there's some great UK-US trade deal coming down the road, and reneging on the Protocol would very publicly blow that idea out of the water.
    Bollocks, the USA will do whatever is in the USA's interest, just as it did with the tax reforms.

Besides if the UK voids the Protocol, as we are legally entitled to do based upon the Protocol's own safeguarding article, what is the USA going to care about that years later once the bluff has revealed that doing so was no threat to GFA?

Once the EU's bluff is called and no checks are done on the border of Ireland, why would America care about that at all?

Hmm, that's not really true though is it. The UK is far more important to the US because we have wholly aligned interests, the EU keeps banging on about "strategic autonomy". Do you think that hasn't gone unnoticed in DC?

Well, indeed - the US knows that the UK has forfeited any ability to have "strategic autonomy" and so the US can pretty much do what it likes with us. With the EU, which is far bigger, there is always going to be more of a negotiation.
    Ukraine has thrown the conventional wisdom about strategic autonomy out of the window so this is outdated thinking.

Yes, Ukraine has changed a lot. What it hasn't changed, though, is that the UK cannot walk away from anything that the US values in its relationship with us. In fact, it's made that even less possible than before.

Neither can the EU, which is the point everyone is trying to make. There's no negotiation with the US from either the UK or EU. Both are reliant on a US security guarantee, yet the UK is a productive member in that partnership while the EU sits there bitching about strategic autonomy while asking for handouts. It's laughable that you think otherwise but as always everything the EU does is amazing and everything the UK does is awful in your world.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,553
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Once you overlook the political slants, one true thing which remains is this: No-one really believes that separating out NI from GB in terms of trade agreements and relationships (ie the border being in the Irish Sea), removing the integrity of the UK single market, is really within the spirit of the GFA; just as imposing a border within the island wouldn't be either.

For myself I support a united Ireland, and as soon as possible. But others don't. What is missing in the debate, whether from the EU, DUP, Labour, LDs, the USA or the RoI is: what, with detail, is the plan which would work, be democratic, and respect the Brexit vote and the GFA? What do you want. They are not telling us, while blaming Boris.

If there isn't something coherent they want, there is little point in blaming Boris, who is left hold a Rubiks cube with no solution.

There is a simple solution. Tell the EU to go stuff their "integrity of the Single Market" and sort out the problem themselves.

If they want to check things on the Irish border they can, they won't, so that's it.
    As you were saying five years ago. Not too long before Boris then instituted a border cutting off one part of the UK from another.

Like he had wanted to do all along because he was jealous of all those other European countries.
    Indeed, I was right five years ago and am still right today. Looks like my view is going to be put to the test.

Boris instituted a border cutting off one part of the UK from another because it was an infinitely superior solution to the backstop and the Remain-Parliament we had wouldn't pass any alternative and wouldn't allow us to exit the EU without a deal.

We have a different Parliament now though, so its time to revisit the NI solution.
    You were wrong five years ago because you said almost word for word what you said a few minutes ago - that the UK would "tell the EU to go stuff their "integrity of the Single Market" and sort out the problem themselves."

Which they - the UK govt - precisely and absolutely did not do. They are now saying again that they might do it. So you might be proven right. But I very much doubt it. You will be proven wrong. Again.
    As far as I know I never said they would, I said they should.

Sadly Hammond and the rest of the EU's useful idiots in the 2017-19 Parliament prevented that from happening. Those idiots have gone now.
    The point was that back then the idea of putting a border between NI and ROI was so out of the question that Boris instead decided to divide up the United Kingdom - quite a dramatic move one might have said.

I don't see that anything has changed such that it is not similarly to be avoided putting a border between NI & ROI.

It was Boris not some long-gone remainers who instituted the border in the Irish Sea. He could at any time since his 80-seat majority have decided not to. He did not do so. But now you think is the time.

We shall see.
    Judged objectively, it's actually the best place for the border, as it is in both side's interests to minimise the impact of the border.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Once you overlook the political slants, one true thing which remains is this: No-one really believes that separating out NI from GB in terms of trade agreements and relationships (ie the border being in the Irish Sea), removing the integrity of the UK single market, is really within the spirit of the GFA; just as imposing a border within the island wouldn't be either.

For myself I support a united Ireland, and as soon as possible. But others don't. What is missing in the debate, whether from the EU, DUP, Labour, LDs, the USA or the RoI is: what, with detail, is the plan which would work, be democratic, and respect the Brexit vote and the GFA? What do you want. They are not telling us, while blaming Boris.

If there isn't something coherent they want, there is little point in blaming Boris, who is left hold a Rubiks cube with no solution.

There is a simple solution. Tell the EU to go stuff their "integrity of the Single Market" and sort out the problem themselves.

If they want to check things on the Irish border they can, they won't, so that's it.
    As you were saying five years ago. Not too long before Boris then instituted a border cutting off one part of the UK from another.

Like he had wanted to do all along because he was jealous of all those other European countries.
    Indeed, I was right five years ago and am still right today. Looks like my view is going to be put to the test.

Boris instituted a border cutting off one part of the UK from another because it was an infinitely superior solution to the backstop and the Remain-Parliament we had wouldn't pass any alternative and wouldn't allow us to exit the EU without a deal.

We have a different Parliament now though, so its time to revisit the NI solution.
    You were wrong five years ago because you said almost word for word what you said a few minutes ago - that the UK would "tell the EU to go stuff their "integrity of the Single Market" and sort out the problem themselves."

Which they - the UK govt - precisely and absolutely did not do. They are now saying again that they might do it. So you might be proven right. But I very much doubt it. You will be proven wrong. Again.

Sadly Hammond and the rest of the EU's useful idiots in the 2017-19 Parliament prevented that from happening. Those idiots have gone now.
    The point was that back then the idea of putting a border between NI and ROI was so out of the question that Boris instead decided to divide up the United Kingdom - quite a dramatic move one might have said.

I don't see that anything has changed such that it is not similarly to be avoided putting a border between NI & ROI.

It was Boris not some long-gone remainers who instituted the border in the Irish Sea. He could at any time since his 80-seat majority have decided not to. He did not do so. But now you think is the time.

We shall see.
    Nobody is talking about putting a border between NI and ROI other than Europhiles.

The choice we had was a deal or walk away, and the Remainer Parliament wouldn't let us walk away. Now we can.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,174
    Taz said:

China announces it will 'strictly limit' overseas travel......
    Somethings gonna go off, probably Taiwan..

COVID related surely ?
    Yeah they claim that. Colour me suspicious
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,971
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmm, that's not really true though is it. The UK is far more important to the US because we have wholly aligned interests, the EU keeps banging on about "strategic autonomy". Do you think that hasn't gone unnoticed in DC?

Well, indeed - the US knows that the UK has forfeited any ability to have "strategic autonomy" and so the US can pretty much do what it likes with us. With the EU, which is far bigger, there is always going to be more of a negotiation.

But they also know the EU has no chance of strategic autonomy. Negotiate on what? The EU is wholly reliant on the US for its security, they know it, we know it and the US knows it.

Negotiate on defence expenditure, on procurement, on trade, for example. Once the war in Ukraine is over, the EU and the US will decide what happens next. The UK will watch and wait to be told.

• Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The EU isn't even more important to the EU's own member states in the East right now than the UK is, let alone the USA. 😂😂😂

Just because the Daily Express tells you that, Bart, doesn't make it true. No EU member state is going to choose the UK over the EU. The US is not going to choose the UK over the EU. Why would they?

The US is going to choose the UK over the EU because we are actually a useful ally that does stuff like send weapons, and because the UK isn't asking the US to do anything other than stay out of the dispute and not do anything.

EU member states don't need to choose the UK over the EU either, since they are a part of the EU and have votes, we just need them to veto any threatened retaliation. You really think the EU will unanimously get agreement to retaliate over Ireland at this present time? Good luck with that . . .

The US does not need to choose. The UK has nowhere else to go. We are not going to pull out of NATO. We are not going to leave the Five Eyes. We might stop supplying symbolic military support to some Eastern European nations, but symbols are just that.

You're right the US does not need to choose, they just need to "tut" and that's it.

Then the world moves on. Nobody else cares about the integrity of the Single Market.

If the Protocol ends tomorrow and and a year from now there is no violence or threat of violence in NI, do you think the USA is going to be upset about that? The USA doesn't care about the Protocol, they care about the risk of violence - and there is some very real violence happening right now that we are useful allies in combatting.
    I think anyone whether in the US or elsewhere who cares for the general integrity and reputation of Western democracy finds lying in international treaties pretty distasteful. Boris Johnson and his apologists like yourself shame our country and its history.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,849

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

We shall see.
    Nobody is talking about putting a border between NI and ROI other than Europhiles.

The choice we had was a deal or walk away, and the Remainer Parliament wouldn't let us walk away. Now we can.
    There was another deal (May's) which you rejected, with NI having no border with GB nor the Republic.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But they also know the EU has no chance of strategic autonomy. Negotiate on what? The EU is wholly reliant on the US for its security, they know it, we know it and the US knows it.

Negotiate on defence expenditure, on procurement, on trade, for example. Once the war in Ukraine is over, the EU and the US will decide what happens next. The UK will watch and wait to be told.

That's all laughably naive from you SO, the US will tell the Europeans this is how it is and they will get on board or not. Same as they will tell us, except that we've already accepted it and are now part of the US axis, hence AUKUS and shared military industrial technology development between the US and UK going back decades and the UK defence industry supply chain being highly integrated into the US procurement chain.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I think anyone whether in the US or elsewhere who cares for the general integrity and reputation of Western democracy finds lying in international treaties pretty distasteful. Boris Johnson and his apologists like yourself shame our country and its history.
    Again, invoking the 16th Article of a Treaty is not lying. 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

@dyedwoolie commented on the last thread about frying eggs. And - hear me out - doing it properly is a lot more complicated than it looks.

Tomorrow lunch = fried egg and artisanal black pudding slice roll ...
    You don't need artisanal anything - although proper free range eggs and nice bread are both preferred.

First: remember that egg whites are not a single substance - there is both a very thin white and a much thinker one. That's why your egg whites rarely have a uniform thickness. Chuck the eggs in a sieve, and get rid of the thin whites.

Second: don't use fancy oil or butter for your eggs. You want a neutral oil with a high smoke point. Don't be afraid to use a bit more than you would think, mind, as you want to be able to slosh that oil on top of the whites.

Third: start off on a pretty low temperature. The oil should not be spitting. Let the egg whites slowly thicken.

Fourth when it's clear that the egg white bases are properly cooked but the top is still translucent, then you need to get the oil on top of the egg to cook them. You might want to turn the temperature of the oil up to do this, so that you're using really hot oil. Do this quickly, because you want that yolk to remain runny.

Serve.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,032
    Your reminder NI voted a few days ago around 55-30 in favour of the protocol.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

We shall see.

There was another deal (May's) which you rejected, with NI having no border with GB nor the Republic.
    Yes because it was massively worse and completely undemocratic keeping us bound to laws we would have no elections about.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited May 2022

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

We shall see.

Within the unique context of NI & ROI we can't "walk away" because it is on our doorstep with many years of history which informs today's decisions. We can't relegate it to a not fussed category because in living memory the UK was if not at war, then certainly engaged in special military operations within its own effing borders. This isn't a Jaffa Cake cake or biscuit issue (biscuit, btw). This is serious shit.
  • Options
    Natalie McGarry guilty, did we do that?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

We shall see.
    Judged objectively, it's actually the best place for the border, as it is in both side's interests to minimise the impact of the border.
    Again, looking at cynical fudges would it not have been possible to make the current border a “free trade zone” for a few miles either side?

Anyone who has interests in carrying on their old life with business based by border relying on the French/Swiss style “frontalier” existence doesn’t have their lives disrupted.

The actual “border” for customs checks is moved well away and out of sight/mind and so not a physical reminder of the separation and the technicalities of such.

That free trade zone/border zone becomes a draw for business from UK/EU to set up industry/etc to benefit from the fudge…..
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,304

COVID related surely ?

Taz said:

COVID related surely ?
    Surely the reaction to Russia is partly about discouraging China and others from such interventions and it must be far less likely now.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

A general level of dishonesty has been applied. You are no doubt in favour of that because that is how you think we should treat foreigners and we know you have a disdain for the Irish.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

@dyedwoolie commented on the last thread about frying eggs. And - hear me out - doing it properly is a lot more complicated than it looks.

You don't need artisanal anything - although proper free range eggs and nice bread are both preferred.

First: remember that egg whites are not a single substance - there is both a very thin white and a much thinker one. That's why your egg whites rarely have a uniform thickness. Chuck the eggs in a sieve, and get rid of the thin whites.

Second: don't use fancy oil or butter for your eggs. You want a neutral oil with a high smoke point. Don't be afraid to use a bit more than you would think, mind, as you want to be able to slosh that oil on top of the whites.

Third: start off on a pretty low temperature. The oil should not be spitting. Let the egg whites slowly thicken.

Fourth when it's clear that the egg white bases are properly cooked but the top is still translucent, then you need to get the oil on top of the egg to cook them. You might want to turn the temperature of the oil up to do this, so that you're using really hot oil. Do this quickly, because you want that yolk to remain runny.

Serve.
    Couple of points here.

1. How do you pronounce artisanal; and
    2. How do you get on with going to your local grocers/Wholefoods and asking for a neutral oil with a high smoke point.

tia
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    rcs1000 said:

I think Russia's experience in Ukraine has significantly reduced the likelihood of a near-term Taiwan invasion. Simply: the damage a dug in defender can do is absolutely enormous. And Taiwan has a much, much stronger military than Ukraine, with modern US and French jet fighters - plus it's got the massive advantage of a 150 mile ocean that the Chinese would need to cross.

Oh yeah... and don't forget that most of China's military (with the exception of a very small number of modern fighters) is Russian tech.

I suspect that this is Covid related.
    Agreed.

It should also be noted that the terrain in Taiwan is inimical to a hostile invader.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

We shall see.

Within the unique context of NI & ROI we can't "walk away" because it is on our doorstep with many years of history which informs today's decisions. We can't relegate it to a not fussed category because in living memory the UK was if not at war, then certainly engaged in special military operations within its own effing borders. This isn't a Jaffa Cake cake or biscuit issue (biscuit, btw). This is serious shit.
    Of course we can walk away. We can say "we aren't instituting checks between GB and NI, or between NI and the Republic" and end the conversation there and walk away from it.

If the EU wants to institute checks, let them do so. Hint: They won't.

If the EU wants to protect the integrity of their Single Market, that's their responsibility, let them find a solution to that. Its not our problem.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ukraine has thrown the conventional wisdom about strategic autonomy out of the window so this is outdated thinking.

Yes, Ukraine has changed a lot. What it hasn't changed, though, is that the UK cannot walk away from anything that the US values in its relationship with us. In fact, it's made that even less possible than before.

Neither can the EU, which is the point everyone is trying to make. There's no negotiation with the US from either the UK or EU. Both are reliant on a US security guarantee, yet the UK is a productive member in that partnership while the EU sits there bitching about strategic autonomy while asking for handouts. It's laughable that you think otherwise but as always everything the EU does is amazing and everything the UK does is awful in your world.

I know you want to believe that and that I cannot stop you believing it, but wanting it to be true doesn't make it true.

The EU is bigger and wealthier than the UK, and that obviously gives it a level of strategic autonomy with regards to the Americans that the UK does not possess. The UK does not have any kind of leverage in its relationship with the US. As you observe, all it can do is constantly prove its faithfulness.

The Americans know there is absolutely nothing we can do to them if they side with the EU over the Protocol. And politically there are far more votes for US politicians in backing the Irish than there are in supporting the Brits, especially when it is the Brits who are threatening to violate international law.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

From a timing perspective, I think this is smart from the UK. Right now, the US really cares about Ukraine, and we're a key part of that. If the Ukraine war was over, Putin deposed, and oil & gas prices low... then his priorities might be different.

With that said, the UK has a very fine tightrope to walk here. A16 needs to be used only to ensure that the EU fulfils its treaty obligations regarding the trusted trader program - it should not be used because Boris didn't think through the consequence of signing a treaty.
    Indeed, a very fine tight rope. If the EU implements the scheme as outlined by both sides the problems all go away and everyone shuts up about the protocol. That's the issue, the EU has dragged its feet on this from the beginning.
    While that's true, the government's own report to the Northern Ireland select committee reported that both sides were engaged and that progress was being made.

Now, could things move faster? Of course. And I'm sure you're right that (a) the EU is institutionally incapable of moving quickly, and (b) both it in general and Ireland in particular are not minded to hurry.

That's why - if we do invoke - it needs to be combined with a reasonable timetable for implementation, and a recognition that, even with the best will in the world, it is still a multi-government project, that will no doubt be implemented by Accenture, and that it will take at least 18 months, and more like 36 months, to launch.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,166
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

There's every point in blaming someone who a) campaigned for Vote Rubik's Cube in 2016, and laughed off claims that it would be jolly difficult to solve and b) ripped the cube out of someone else's hands saying her solution was rubbish.
    Point taken to that extent. But what is the solution all parties are happy with he is now avoiding? Yes, Boris is part of the problem. But I am unclear what solution the other parties want.

The problem is fairly intractable, as opponents of Brexit have always pointed out. How do you take the UK out of the EU SM and CU while keeping NI inside it and fully integrated with the UK? That's a piece of geometry that doesn't really work.
    The solution that Boris Johnson signed up to puts barriers up in the Irish Sea - so NI is no longer fully integrated into the UK. If he doesn't like it then why did he sign up to it? It's not like the problem wasn't raised at the time.
    There are two solutions that work in terms of geometry - a United Ireland (which the DUP object to), or the UK returns to the SM and CU (which the Tories object to). The fact that this whole mess was created by the DUP and Tories' support for Brexit is one of the ironies of the situation.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

A general level of dishonesty has been applied. You are no doubt in favour of that because that is how you think we should treat foreigners and we know you have a disdain for the Irish.
    What dishonesty?

The 16th Article of the Treaty can be invoked if there are problems, there are problems, so we can invoke it.

That the problems were foreseeable is neither here nor there since the Article doesn't say anything about unforeseen.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

I think the only useful idiots in the UK are Putin's, and they are those that like you are dumb enough to believe in a fairytale called Brexit. You are one of Putin's little helpers. he loves you so much, and I am sure he would thank you if he could.
  • Options
    This story was just top of my MSN page. This is the one that a well known Johnson apologist on here was saying was "not gaining traction"

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/govt-resists-calls-for-security-advice-given-to-pm-ahead-of-lebedev-peerage-to-be-publicly-released/ar-AAXc6ji?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=48bc249a5a2e4b64d0962185f764d7c8
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I know you want to believe that and that I cannot stop you believing it, but wanting it to be true doesn't make it true.

The EU is bigger and wealthier than the UK, and that obviously gives it a level of strategic autonomy with regards to the Americans that the UK does not possess. The UK does not have any kind of leverage in its relationship with the US. As you observe, all it can do is constantly prove its faithfulness.

The Americans know there is absolutely nothing we can do to them if they side with the EU over the Protocol. And politically there are far more votes for US politicians in backing the Irish than there are in supporting the Brits, especially when it is the Brits who are threatening to violate international law.
    I'm sorry this is going nowhere. No one in the world believes that the EU will ever have strategic autonomy except you. Not even your fellow travellers on here think that. The idea is actually laughable.

In the same way that there are no votes for Boris in supporting Ukraine (as we just saw in the LE results) there's no votes for American politicians in foreign policy. Americans care about their taxes, jobs and the wealth destroying inflation rate. Unsurprisingly a similar list to UK voters. Politicians who waste time on Ireland will lose to ones that deliver on the major issues of the day. It's why Biden won't say anything because Trump will be talking about those three issues non-stop. Taxes, Jobs, Wealth - non-stop. If Biden is chatting about Ireland then Trump will have a completely captive audience for his message on what people care about.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That's all laughably naive from you SO, the US will tell the Europeans this is how it is and they will get on board or not. Same as they will tell us, except that we've already accepted it and are now part of the US axis, hence AUKUS and shared military industrial technology development between the US and UK going back decades and the UK defence industry supply chain being highly integrated into the US procurement chain.

The laughable naivety is displayed by right-wing boy racers who believe a bit of British government willy-waving for internal Tory party political purposes is going to secure anything other than international disdain.

The US had been telling EU member states to spend more on defence for years. It was Vladimir Putin who succeeded in getting them to commit to doing it.

• Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

We shall see.

Of course we can walk away. We can say "we aren't instituting checks between GB and NI, or between NI and the Republic" and end the conversation there and walk away from it.

If the EU wants to protect the integrity of their Single Market, that's their responsibility, let them find a solution to that. Its not our problem.
    This is what you were saying in 2017. Literally word for word.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

What dishonesty?

The 16th Article of the Treaty can be invoked if there are problems, there are problems, so we can invoke it.

That the problems were foreseeable is neither here nor there since the Article doesn't say anything about unforeseen.
    Do you have a Facebook account? For someone who seems to like to pride himself in looking like you are independent of thought you seem extremely suggestible. The whole government approach to the NIP has been dishonest. You are either being dishonest with yourself our you are even dimmer than even I thought you were.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    edited May 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Serve.
    FR eggs and nice roll guarenteed. Rest sounds just about right to me, the point re separating out the thinner white is a new one to me.

Do you wait till the membrane on the top of the yolk is just showing a white central spot before you serve the egg? I use that as a telltale but we like the yolk partly set on the bottom.
  • Options
    Taz said:

COVID related surely ?

Taz said:

COVID related surely ?
    Surely the reaction to Russia is partly about discouraging China and others from such interventions and it must be far less likely now.
    There has been no military discouragement though and we cannot sanction China like Russia. They will just close down the global supply chains again. They are too big to sanction, too integral.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    carnforth - Thanks for the info on the British Pantry in Redmond. (I've cut back on my exploring of neighboring cities, in recent years, and stopped entirely during the pandemic.) Looks like an interesting place.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Unfathomable that there have now been over 100 FPNs for Downing Street/Whitehall events. A hundred! And who's resigned? Just the former comms chief. What the actual fuck is going on?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

I think the only useful idiots in the UK are Putin's, and they are those that like you are dumb enough to believe in a fairytale called Brexit. You are one of Putin's little helpers. he loves you so much, and I am sure he would thank you if he could.
    Anyone who falls for the EU's bullshit about strategic autonomy etc is Putin's little helpers.

The people in Germany and the European Parliament saying we should be trading with Russia and calling for Ukraine to "settle" are Putin's little helpers.

Staying aligned with the USA and relying upon NATO not the EU is not in Putin's interest.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    Have we done the death match in front of kids at Seaham Tory Club? Sounds par for Down South.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/12/wrestling-death-match-in-durham-investigated-over-strimmer-violence
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,673
    Thank you for all the kind comments and likes on the last thread. Is there any way of seeing more than just the last 10 likes (not a problem I usually have)? It would be nice to see all the usernames that liked my comment.

It appears that walking without crutches is a piece of cake, walking without the boot not so much.

It also appears that my shoe is now too small for me. I also have nerve damage and can't feel the outside part of my foot. I knew this but it wasn't to noticeable in a boot. It is noticeable in a normal shoe. I'm now told that as there hasn't been any improvement that is likely to be permanent. I don't think it is going to bother me.

Re @Selebian's observation, no I am not a Nordic Lumberjack. In terms of my desire to do certain things:

a) Driving - speaks for itself
    b) Skiing - I had given this up but I had intended to give it another go this May/June with some easy glacier skiing. I have loved skiing particularly yellow run ski routes for the exhilaration, solitude, views, and après ski.
    c) Ladder - I have several hundred metres of hedges that I enjoy cutting with power tools, plus an Orangey that I have to get on top of to clean.
    d) Chopping wood - I love it, particularly when frustrated. I end many a gardening day with a session. We have 3 stoves and I have never bought any wood in over 10 years. I get plenty from my garden (the February storm provided about a 2 year supply that I am dying to get into) and also I chop wood for neighbours in exchange for a share of it. An axe a wedge and sledgehammer is all you need to take out your frustrations.
    e) Cycling - I do a lot less now but I do like the big trips and I was planning to cycle down the Loire in May/June (next to rather than in). I hope I can do it in September. Myself and a friend cycle greenways. I think it is comparable to @BlancheLivermore but on wheels rather than foot. Again solitude, but then also meeting great people plus lots of great food and booze.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Biden thinks he's Irish and would be categorically opposed to whatever we did wrt Ireland anyway.

Though it's interesting as soon as they criticise us, the US magically becomes "our closest ally"...!

He doesn't "think he is Irish". He is American (in case you haven't noticed) with a strong Irish lineage. And, yes, like it or no, the US is our closest ally, particularly since we seem to delight in pissing off our nearest neighbours
    The Americans set great store by lineage. And they desperately want to be Irish, and want you to be Irish. I remember staying in a bed and breakfast in Boston, the proprietor of which, making conversation, claimed to be Scottish. Oh, whereabouts are you from, I asked, making conversation, assuming I'd have a geographical connection pretty much wherever. "St. Louis, Missouri", he said. "But my great grandfather was from Inverness", he added, seeing my confusion.
    He deemed us Irish, on the grounds we had changed planes in Dublin and that my girlfriend possibly had some Irish ancestry, and introduced us as such to the other guests, causing much less confusion than you might think.
    Well yes indeed, of course. If I were American I would consider myself Irish. I once had a conversation with an American who asked me if I was Irish, and I replied that on my mother's side I was. He said he thought so, and said that I had a face that was friendly but not one to be crossed. I sort of took it as a compliment, though wasn't quite whether he was trying to tell me he thought I was an ugly fecker
    The language is a bit jarring though. I'm not saying it's wring, we just use terms differently. I'm sure Biden considers himself Irish, but 'Irish' (or 'Scottish, or German, or Norwegian) means something different in American English to British English I.e. having Irish ancestry.
    My mother is Scottish. My youngest daughter's best friend's father is Haitian. (I only bring her up because she's in front of me right now.) But it would be ridiculous, in the way we understand things, for me to consider myself Scottish, or for my daughter's friend to consider herself Haitian.
    What you are is where you were formed, not where some (possibly rather small) part of your genetic code was formed.
    But that is a British understanding, and the Americans are more comfortable with a different sense of the phrase.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm sorry this is going nowhere. No one in the world believes that the EU will ever have strategic autonomy except you. Not even your fellow travellers on here think that. The idea is actually laughable.

In the same way that there are no votes for Boris in supporting Ukraine (as we just saw in the LE results) there's no votes for American politicians in foreign policy. Americans care about their taxes, jobs and the wealth destroying inflation rate. Unsurprisingly a similar list to UK voters. Politicians who waste time on Ireland will lose to ones that deliver on the major issues of the day. It's why Biden won't say anything because Trump will be talking about those three issues non-stop. Taxes, Jobs, Wealth - non-stop. If Biden is chatting about Ireland then Trump will have a completely captive audience for his message on what people care about.

Good luck to any American politician trying to get elected in New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and various other US states without the endorsement of Irish-American groups.

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,014
    What a horror show BBC News for the Tories .

More fines , crap ambulance service , the economy in trouble and a possible trade war with the EU .

But not to worry Boris is a man of the people and spends every waking hour working to help the British people !
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

We shall see.

Yes. Nothing has changed.

It was the right solution then, its the right solution now.

Hopefully it can be put to the test soon and then I'll be able to say "I told you so".
  • Options

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

What dishonesty?

Do you have a Facebook account? For someone who seems to like to pride himself in looking like you are independent of thought you seem extremely suggestible. The whole government approach to the NIP has been dishonest. You are either being dishonest with yourself our you are even dimmer than even I thought you were.
    You keep resorting to ad hominems as you know you can't answer the arguments.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    As long as there is no hard border in Ireland, there will be no showing 2 fingers to Biden. Just removing the Irish Sea border to appease Unionists and particularly the DUP whose support the Tories will need if the next general election gives a hung parliament
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As long as there is no hard border in Ireland, there will be no showing 2 fingers to Biden. Just removing the Irish Sea border to appease Unionists and particularly the DUP whose support the Tories will need if the next general election gives a hung parliament

Who gives a **** about the Tories? It's the good of the UK that counts.
  • Options

Taz said:

COVID related surely ?

Taz said:

COVID related surely ?
    There has been no military discouragement though and we cannot sanction China like Russia. They will just close down the global supply chains again. They are too big to sanction, too integral.
    Yet if China invaded Taiwan the whole western world and beyond, including India, would have no choice but to sanction China as the West sanctioned Russia over its Ukraine invasion
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

We shall see.

Yes. Nothing has changed.

It was the right solution then, its the right solution now.

Hopefully it can be put to the test soon and then I'll be able to say "I told you so".
    I doubt it. Wrong then, wrong now is my expectation. Or rather you are provably wrong now but my expectation is that you will continue to be wrong in future.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

MaxPB said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

What dishonesty?

You keep resorting to ad hominems as you know you can't answer the arguments.
    It would probably be a first "Bart" if you genuinely beat me, or anyone else on here in a logical argument. Nope, you don't have arguments, you are like a "I speak your weight machine" from the Brexit Party. Anything anti-EU is good for you. You are the type of person this little distraction is aimed at. Try and prevent you from noticing this type of thing:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/govt-resists-calls-for-security-advice-given-to-pm-ahead-of-lebedev-peerage-to-be-publicly-released/ar-AAXc6ji?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=48bc249a5a2e4b64d0962185f764d7c8
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Given recent events - and not least the way that the UK stepped up to help Ukraine whilst the EU was still arguing about even the most basic of support - I am afraid this little canard is dead and buried. If Putin was dumb enough to think that he would be helped by Brexit then he has surely been proved wrong. As have all those who still try to propagate this myth.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,658

Does anyone take Biden seriously anymore? He's an international joke that makes Boris look good.
    Heaven forbid they release pisshead Pelosi on us

You are full of it. It being bullshit.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Serve.
    Couple of points here.

2. How do you get on with going to your local grocers/Wholefoods and asking for a neutral oil with a high smoke point.

tia
    1. I don't
    2. Any regular vegetable oil (sunflower, etc.) Is fine
  • Options
    Russian Foreign Ministry responds to Finland's attempts to join NATO.

'Finland's accession to Nato will cause serious damage to bilateral Russian-Finnish relations and the maintaining of stability and security in the Northern European region," it said.

"Russia will be forced to take retaliatory steps, both of a military-technical and other nature, in order to neutralise the threats to its national security that arise from this."

However, Moscow has not specified what steps it plans to take.

"Everything will depend on how this expansion process plays out, the extent to which military infrastructure moves closer to our borders," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov earlier told reporters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61420185
  • Options
    nico679 said:

More fines , crap ambulance service , the economy in trouble and a possible trade war with the EU .

But not to worry Boris is a man of the people and spends every waking hour working to help the British people !

My worry is enough people will believe it of him. In one way, sadly, he is the man of the people. Though I find it utterly incomprehensible.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Thank you for all the kind comments and likes on the last thread. Is there any way of seeing more than just the last 10 likes (not a problem I usually have)? It would be nice to see all the usernames that liked my comment.

It appears that walking without crutches is a piece of cake, walking without the boot not so much.

It also appears that my shoe is now too small for me. I also have nerve damage and can't feel the outside part of my foot. I knew this but it wasn't to noticeable in a boot. It is noticeable in a normal shoe. I'm now told that as there hasn't been any improvement that is likely to be permanent. I don't think it is going to bother me.

Re @Selebian's observation, no I am not a Nordic Lumberjack. In terms of my desire to do certain things:

b) Skiing - I had given this up but I had intended to give it another go this May/June with some easy glacier skiing. I have loved skiing particularly yellow run ski routes for the exhilaration, solitude, views, and après ski.
    c) Ladder - I have several hundred metres of hedges that I enjoy cutting with power tools, plus an Orangey that I have to get on top of to clean.
    d) Chopping wood - I love it, particularly when frustrated. I end many a gardening day with a session. We have 3 stoves and I have never bought any wood in over 10 years. I get plenty from my garden (the February storm provided about a 2 year supply that I am dying to get into) and also I chop wood for neighbours in exchange for a share of it. An axe a wedge and sledgehammer is all you need to take out your frustrations.
    e) Cycling - I do a lot less now but I do like the big trips and I was planning to cycle down the Loire in May/June (next to rather than in). I hope I can do it in September. Myself and a friend cycle greenways. I think it is comparable to @BlancheLivermore but on wheels rather than foot. Again solitude, but then also meeting great people plus lots of great food and booze.

Have a retrospective like from me. As for the list - good luck with it all. I wouldn't worry about the nerve damage as we get older we get less "perfect" and that's just the way it goes. You should see the bump on my shoulder. Doesn't affect anything apart from my vanity and that went long ago.

As for your cycling - I did exactly that some time ago. Cycling for Softies it was run by - Google, I see it is still going - https://www.cycling-for-softies.co.uk/

Was fantastic around the Loire - going to see all the chateaux with more often than not the owners sitting outside ready to offer visitors a glass of something local.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,541
    Spectator TV new video:-
    1. Tory MPs think they've overplayed Beergate; successors to Starmer?
    2. Simon Kuper (Chums author) on Oxford ruining Britain
    3. Other stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ymJuDbguM
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,617

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

There's every point in blaming someone who a) campaigned for Vote Rubik's Cube in 2016, and laughed off claims that it would be jolly difficult to solve and b) ripped the cube out of someone else's hands saying her solution was rubbish.
    Point taken to that extent. But what is the solution all parties are happy with he is now avoiding? Yes, Boris is part of the problem. But I am unclear what solution the other parties want.

The problem is fairly intractable, as opponents of Brexit have always pointed out. How do you take the UK out of the EU SM and CU while keeping NI inside it and fully integrated with the UK? That's a piece of geometry that doesn't really work.
    The solution that Boris Johnson signed up to puts barriers up in the Irish Sea - so NI is no longer fully integrated into the UK. If he doesn't like it then why did he sign up to it? It's not like the problem wasn't raised at the time.
    There are two solutions that work in terms of geometry - a United Ireland (which the DUP object to), or the UK returns to the SM and CU (which the Tories object to). The fact that this whole mess was created by the DUP and Tories' support for Brexit is one of the ironies of the situation.
    Point taken. On a historical note, the (terrible) Remain campaign never campaigned on the basis that Brexit is a logical impossibility because of the island of Ireland and the GFA and that there was no solution. They were keen really to say we can leave but shouldn't.

My support for Brexit - somewhat reluctant - was because it was difficult to achieve in 2016 but would become impossible as time went on, and that would build a democratic deficit into a system we could not solve. The unsatisfactory chance had to be taken. There would never be another.

• Options
    Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Biden thinks he's Irish and would be categorically opposed to whatever we did wrt Ireland anyway.

Though it's interesting as soon as they criticise us, the US magically becomes "our closest ally"...!

He doesn't "think he is Irish". He is American (in case you haven't noticed) with a strong Irish lineage. And, yes, like it or no, the US is our closest ally, particularly since we seem to delight in pissing off our nearest neighbours
    The Americans set great store by lineage. And they desperately want to be Irish, and want you to be Irish. I remember staying in a bed and breakfast in Boston, the proprietor of which, making conversation, claimed to be Scottish. Oh, whereabouts are you from, I asked, making conversation, assuming I'd have a geographical connection pretty much wherever. "St. Louis, Missouri", he said. "But my great grandfather was from Inverness", he added, seeing my confusion.
    He deemed us Irish, on the grounds we had changed planes in Dublin and that my girlfriend possibly had some Irish ancestry, and introduced us as such to the other guests, causing much less confusion than you might think.
    "And they desperately want to be Irish, and want you to be Irish."

Based on one guy? Seriously? And you are shocked (and appalled?) that some unwashed colonial claims heritage based on their actual great-grandparent?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The good of the UK includes no border in the Irish Sea any longer
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Given recent events - and not least the way that the UK stepped up to help Ukraine whilst the EU was still arguing about even the most basic of support - I am afraid this little canard is dead and buried. If Putin was dumb enough to think that he would be helped by Brexit then he has surely been proved wrong. As have all those who still try to propagate this myth.
    Putin's hope was that in splitting the UK from the EU, the more pro-Russia portion of the EU (Germany, Italy, Hungary, Greece, Cyprus) would become dominant and the EU would be less likely to stand up to him. So far that seems to have worked.
  • Options

Does anyone take Biden seriously anymore? He's an international joke that makes Boris look good.

Bidens ratings suggest otherwise. He's a catastrophe. Carter without the 'achievements'
    When you say full of it, that usually implies bullshit, yes. Obviously, I disagree. Disagree being having a different take.
  • Options

Taz said:

COVID related surely ?

Taz said:

COVID related surely ?
    There has been zero sign of any buildup. Don't forget this would be like D-Day, only the defender has satellite imagery.

Oh yeah. And the Ocean is wider and rougher than the Channel, the defenders have submarines, and the Chinese would need to go around to the far side of the island.

Now, could the Chinese do something? Sure. They could potentially blockade the island. But that is fraught with danger, because what do you do when an American ship heads towards the port? And you also can't get too close, because the Taiwanese have pretty great French anti ship missiles.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

How to get that way? Not by "appeasing" (your verb) the DUP, a minority intolerant party on the slide and already unrepresentative of even NI.
  • Options

Spectator TV new video:-
    1. Tory MPs think they've overplayed Beergate; successors to Starmer?
    2. Simon Kuper (Chums author) on Oxford ruining Britain
    3. Other stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ymJuDbguM

Does "other stuff" include puff pieces about Tommy Robinson or does that only come in the print edition?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

COVID related surely ?

Taz said:

COVID related surely ?
    There has been zero sign of any buildup. Don't forget this would be like D-Day, only the defender has satellite imagery.

Oh yeah. And the Ocean is wider and rougher than the Channel, the defenders have submarines, and the Chinese would need to go around to the far side of the island.

Now, could the Chinese do something? Sure. They could potentially blockade the island. But that is fraught with danger, because what do you do when an American ship heads towards the port? And you also can't get too close, because the Taiwanese have pretty great French anti ship missiles.
    This does tend to go against my theory, yes. I may have been a bit 'hasty'. It ain't about 'covid' though. At best it's all about the internal struggle in the CCP
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Unfathomable that there have now been over 100 FPNs for Downing Street/Whitehall events. A hundred! And who's resigned? Just the former comms chief. What the actual fuck is going on?

I cannot understand how Simon Case is still in office and other senior civil servants must be sent packing

What we have to understand here is that these were civil servants behaving badly, and while Boris must go (depending on his mps), many other high profile mandarins must join him

Sue Grey's report will shock the nation and take Boris's career with it

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    HYUFD said:

Russian Foreign Ministry responds to Finland's attempts to join NATO.

"Russia will be forced to take retaliatory steps, both of a military-technical and other nature, in order to neutralise the threats to its national security that arise from this."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61420185

“We will unleash an animation showing Helsinki turned into sinky hell within 64 seconds.”
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Oh yes, Putin has successfully improved uk-Eu relations by reminding our continental cousins that we're a reliable security partner.
  • Options

Farooq said:

I cannot understand how Simon Case is still in office and other senior civil servants must be sent packing

What we have to understand here is that these were civil servants behaving badly and while Boris must go,(depending on his mps) many other high profile mandarin must join him

A complete clear out. Piss takers the lot of them.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Putin's hope was that in splitting the UK from the EU, the more pro-Russia portion of the EU (Germany, Italy, Hungary, Greece, Cyprus) would become dominant and the EU would be less likely to stand up to him. So far that seems to have worked.

Putin's hope and expectation was that the invasion would be done and dusted by now. I am not sure that any part of his strategy has worked out.

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    EPG said:

Your reminder that one community voted against it and, under the rules, that's enough.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

Based on one guy? Seriously? And you are shocked (and appalled?) that some unwashed colonial claims heritage based on their actual great-grandparent?
    I'm neither shocked nor appalled, just note the differing sense of the phrase. As I said, I wouldn't claim to be Scottish. Are you Irish, for example, in the sense of being born in Ireland? It's just a different way of using the phrase, but one which sounds odd to British ears.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    nico679 said:

Re ambulance and NHS services have you been to Wales recently

Pensioner left 'moaning in agony' on pavement for 10 hours before ambulance came

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/pensioner-left-moaning-agony-pavement-23545802#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Point taken. On a historical note, the (terrible) Remain campaign never campaigned on the basis that Brexit is a logical impossibility because of the island of Ireland and the GFA and that there was no solution. They were keen really to say we can leave but shouldn't.

My support for Brexit - somewhat reluctant - was because it was difficult to achieve in 2016 but would become impossible as time went on, and that would build a democratic deficit into a system we could not solve. The unsatisfactory chance had to be taken. There would never be another.

Fair enough. I think even Remain didn't really understand how intractable the Irish border issue was, because the English have always paid less attention to Ireland than they should (especially given they are still occupying part of it).
    I wouldn't have minded if the Leave campaign had said "Brexit will create a big mess and we will be poorer but it will still be worth it." That is a position that I can respect and understand. But they won on a false prospectus and have continued lying ever since. That is something that is unforgivable.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

EPG said:

Your reminder that one community voted against it and, under the rules, that's enough.
    Northern Ireland isn't monolithic anymore. Hence the rise of the Alliance.

• Options

Farooq said:

What we have to understand here is that these were civil servants behaving badly, and while Boris must go (depending on his mps), many other high profile mandarins must join him

Sue Grey's report will shock the nation and take Boris's career with it

The country is already shocked, and the Tories got a richly deserved kicking last week. The only people that seem to have not really paid attention to that are Tory MPs. I cannot begin to describe how dangerous this is for their careers, and they're acting like nothing has happened. Rabbits in the headlights.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

There are answers just Brexiteers will not accept them, though they are a dying number
  • Options
    Applicant said:

EPG said:

Actually, the UK government agreed that the Protocol's ongoing application would be by majority consent, not by cross-community consent.

• Options

This story was just top of my MSN page. This is the one that a well known Johnson apologist on here was saying was "not gaining traction"

If you want to lie about me, please do so by name, there's a good chap.
  • Options

Bidens ratings suggest otherwise. He's a catastrophe. Carter without the 'achievements'
    When you say full of it, that usually implies bullshit, yes. Obviously, I disagree. Disagree being having a different take.
    You said "nobody takes Biden seriously anymore" - does that include Putin?

You said "He's an international joke" - you think the Finns & Swede's agree?

You said "Heaven forbit the release pisshead Pelosi on us" - what does even mean?

Conclude that you are suffering from bad case of wool-in-eye disease.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,778
    edited May 2022

Applicant said:

EPG said:

Actually, the UK government agreed that the Protocol's ongoing application would be by majority consent, not by cross-community consent.

Not true.

Article 16 provides for the Protocol or parts of it to be scrapped if there is a serious risk of violence etc

One community being extremely unhappy provides that risk and thus vindicates using A16.

You useful idiots of Brussels can pretend A16 isn't a part of the Protocol, but it is.
  • Options

The UK government lied to the EU about the Protocol. It lied to the US about it, to the Unionists and to the British people. And there are willy-waving boy racers on here and elsewhere who believe all of that will come consequence free, while accusing others of being naïve!

As far as I am aware (and I will freely accept I might be wrong if someone can show me otherwise) this will be the first time the UK has ever unilaterally broken a treaty. Another sordid first for Johnson. It sets a dangerous precedent.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I dunno. Over half of Britons don't even care if Northern Ireland leaves the UK.
  • Options

The UK government lied to the EU about the Protocol. It lied to the US about it, to the Unionists and to the British people. And there are willy-waving boy racers on here and elsewhere who believe all of that will come consequence free, while accusing others of being naïve!

As far as I am aware (and I will freely accept I might be wrong if someone can show me otherwise) this will be the first time the UK has ever unilaterally broken a treaty. Another sordid first for Johnson. It sets a dangerous precedent.
    Invoking Article 16 would not be unilaterally breaking the treaty. Implementing a law to rid the UK of onerous requirements, on the other hand, would be.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't verify, but I believe that if you go to https://vf.politicalbetting.com/profile/reactions/kjh?reaction=like on a PC you should be able to see them all.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I dunno. Over half of Britons don't even care if Northern Ireland leaves the UK.
    The thing is I should be glad about all of this if it leads to a united Ireland as I personally am very much in favour of that. But this is not the way to do it and it risks damaging the UK in ways the Tories do not even seem to have considered. Once a bit of basic trust is gone it is immensely difficult to get back.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

More still want NI to stay in the UK, 37%, to the 27% who want it to join the Republic.

Tory voters by a big 47% to 25% margin want NI to stay in the UK and we still have a Tory government which may well need the DUP to stay in office again on current polls in 2024

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1253236957326520321?s=20&t=E7uC3iFfPapCTZ4rGk5ruA
  • Options

Applicant said:

EPG said:

Not true.

Article 16 provides for the Protocol or parts of it to be scrapped if there is a serious risk of violence etc

One community being extremely unhappy provides that risk and thus vindicates using A16.

You useful idiots of Brussels can pretend A16 isn't a part of the Protocol, but it is.

Unfortunately for you, it is true. The UK government specifically signed up to the Protocol's ongoing application being contingent on majority support as expressed through elections to the Northern Ireland Assembly. The DUP is not threatening violence, is it?

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,673
    TOPPING said:

kjh said:

Have a retrospective like from me. As for the list - good luck with it all. I wouldn't worry about the nerve damage as we get older we get less "perfect" and that's just the way it goes. You should see the bump on my shoulder. Doesn't affect anything apart from my vanity and that went long ago.

As for your cycling - I did exactly that some time ago. Cycling for Softies it was run by - Google, I see it is still going - https://www.cycling-for-softies.co.uk/

Was fantastic around the Loire - going to see all the chateaux with more often than not the owners sitting outside ready to offer visitors a glass of something local.
    Cheers @TOPPING . I think we discussed cycling before. I organise it myself and use panniers. It takes longer to organise than do. So far I have done Brittany north to south and back, Bordeaux to Biarritz, Across Normandy, North Downs Way, Around Norfolk.
  • Options

You said "nobody takes Biden seriously anymore" - does that include Putin?

You said "He's an international joke" - you think the Finns & Swede's agree?

You said "Heaven forbit the release pisshead Pelosi on us" - what does even mean?

Conclude that you are suffering from bad case of wool-in-eye disease.
    Putin clearly isn't concerned enough by Biden to not invade a European nation, yes
    The Finns and Swedes are applying to join NATO, not become the 51st and 52nd state of the USA and made their first move via a pact with us, not the States.
    Pelosi has been very vocal about NI and the UK. She's another incoherent mess.
    I don't like Biden, I might be overegging the pudding and I may well have Wooleye but biden is the very worst president at this time. His ratings, his weird ramblings all show this.
    Others may take a different view.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

The thing is I should be glad about all of this if it leads to a united Ireland as I personally am very much in favour of that. But this is not the way to do it and it risks damaging the UK in ways the Tories do not even seem to have considered. Once a bit of basic trust is gone it is immensely difficult to get back.
    I liked your comment because I think you're spot on about it not being the right way to go about anything.
    I don't share your opinion about it being a goal. Indeed, you can lump me in what that absolute majority* of Brits who wouldn't be bothered either way.

*54%. 11% would be "pleased" and 24% would be "upset". Data is a bit old now, so if anyone has more up to date figures..
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/04/22/brits-increasingly-dont-care-whether-northern-irel
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,520
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Serve.
    Couple of points here.

tia
    1. I don't
    English rapeseed oil is now excellent
  • Options
    I'm off to do battle over the 64 squares. Have a fun evening everyone. I fully expect everything I have ever said to be poo pooed by facts and events by the next time I post. Aim low.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

I'm neither shocked nor appalled, just note the differing sense of the phrase. As I said, I wouldn't claim to be Scottish. Are you Irish, for example, in the sense of being born in Ireland? It's just a different way of using the phrase, but one which sounds odd to British ears.
    America is a land of immigrants, and we are proud of our ancestors who came before us, and on whose shoulders we

The man you quoted did NOT claim to be Scottish "in the sense of being born in" Scotland. YOU jumped to that conclusion apparently.

The notion of pride in ancestry being rich & rare where you hail from? Or must a person be born in Yorkshire to BE a Yorkist, or whatever it is you call yourselves?

And idea that Americans from sea to shining sea "desperately want to be Irish, and want you to be Irish" is laughable. Unless you mean at a bar on St Paddy's Day when EVERYONE is an honorary Hibernian - IF they want to be.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Serve.
    Couple of points here.

tia
    1. I don't
    English rapeseed oil would, indeed, be absolutely fine.
  • Options

Yep - it certainly does. And it's also important to remember that Brexit is not the cause of this. It is the Brexit that the UK government chose that has created the problems.

• Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Serve.
    Couple of points here.

tia
    1. I don't

It is very good, but I am not sure it is neutral. I think it tastes a lot better than bog standard olive oil - and it has the added advantage of being cheaper.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

More still want NI to stay in the UK, 37%, to the 27% who want it to join the Republic.

Tory voters by a big 47% to 25% margin want NI to stay in the UK and we still have a Tory government which may well need the DUP to stay in office again on current polls in 2024

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1253236957326520321?s=20&t=E7uC3iFfPapCTZ4rGk5ruA
    we still have a Tory government

For how much longer as they indulge in either denial or stupidity over Boris
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,520

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Fair enough. I think even Remain didn't really understand how intractable the Irish border issue was, because the English have always paid less attention to Ireland than they should (especially given they are still occupying part of it).
    I wouldn't have minded if the Leave campaign had said "Brexit will create a big mess and we will be poorer but it will still be worth it." That is a position that I can respect and understand. But they won on a false prospectus and have continued lying ever since. That is something that is unforgivable.
    No no no

Our original entry into the EEC was on a false prospectus. “No fundamental loss of sovereignty”. These false promises continued for decades “we promise you a referendum on the treaty, and on the constitution! - wait no we don’t because you might vote NO, sorry, fuck off”

It is therefore only right that Remainers and europhiles are forced to eat crow - as we now Leave the EU on a similar pack of lies, thus completing the cycle with an impressive and delicious irony

There is a lesson to politicians of all sides here: Don’t lie to voters. It comes back to haunt you

This discussion has been closed.