Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Yorkshire LAB getting excited about a possible by-election gain from CON – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    RobD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Supermarket. Everybody wearing masks apart from two 30-ish year old men, so ~98% wearing.

This mask that does F all as proved by Scotland
    For the thousandth time, mask wearing rates can never explain the overall rates. Demographic and spatial factors are massively influential. If you try to predict outcomes from on variable in a complex system, it's like predicting football results based on shirt colour.
    so how are Scotland and England any different in them ? Masks do F all
    That's not what actual scientific studies on the matter show.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm
    how about real life studies 0ie what is actually happening (and not in some laboratory) - Scotland has had higher rates of infection despite having a mask mandate - repeat again they do f all
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Supermarket. Everybody wearing masks apart from two 30-ish year old men, so ~98% wearing.

For the thousandth time, mask wearing rates can never explain the overall rates. Demographic and spatial factors are massively influential. If you try to predict outcomes from on variable in a complex system, it's like predicting football results based on shirt colour.

how about real life studies 0ie what is actually happening (and not in some laboratory) - Scotland has had higher rates of infection despite having a mask mandate - repeat again they do f all
    Did you actually click on the link? Your reply suggest you didn't actually read it.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

I've started not to wear a mask. I guess you'd like me to? In which case I will.
    I don't really give a shit what you do.
    I just gave this info because I was a little surprised to see so many. It's been a while since I've seen that level of wearage.
    I was merely trying to work out if my not wearing a mask in the last couple of weeks might be a mistake.
    I genuinely don't know. I do not have any clue how effective masks are against Omicron.
    But what would you like me to be doing? A thing merely of common courtesy. It's weird for all of us.

I'll say it again in a less aggressive tone. I don't care what you do. I don't know whether masks work any more. I know that they did last year, but I've seen enough commentary about Omicron that doubts that to not know whether there's any point. And I honestly can't be bothered to dig into the literature.
    Well I care what you do. And that's if you feel ill then stay at home, and if you have to go to the supermarket then wear two masks.

But I just asked the question, and you answered. All good.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Did you actually click on the link? Your reply suggest you didn't actually read it.
    Won’t be assessed against omicron in that study. Masks can help, but it’s complicated, and Sturgeon is playing with Covid theatre in Scotland, and I suspect, knows it.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:

The guy tabulating combat equipment losses.
    The blacklog of destroyed Russian equipment is still the same as before. The volume of new materiel prevents me from starting on it.
    https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1507786441962758151

Is this Chap, just doing it himself, as a hobby so to speak, or is he employed by an organisation?

I'm surprised that somebody could not help him, there must be lots of Tank-spotter geeks who would love the Qudoes of being involved in this.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited March 2022
    RobD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

I have no doubt that mask-wearing was a very valuable component of combatting the spread for most of the pandemic, but I have very strong doubts that, with omicron and BA.2, that is still true for anything other than N95 and better masks now, simply because the R is so high.

The study pre-dates omicron. And it does not prove the effectiveness of masks as clearly as the table implies, given that there is self-reporting involved. People who self-report to wear masks indoors probably are more risk averse to COVID in every aspect of their lives - the amount of time they spend outside their house, in company with other people, indoors in public areas, how close they get to others, how frequently and diligently they wash their hands, and so on and so on.

Thus, from my reading of the paper, what the graphic shows is that people who self-report as always wearing masks indoors have a mindset and a set of behaviours which, combined, reduce their chances of getting COVID by the stated number. I highly doubt that all, or even the majority of, the stated reduction was directly attributable to mask-wearing, even before omicron came along.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

If everyone's wearing masks but spending all their time in crowded places, versus no masks but everyone sat in their own space, you can easily have a situation where rates are higher in the masky place, despite masks perhaps reducing transmission.
    That's why you can't look at bulk rates and pin the difference (or lack of) on a single input.

Let me use an analogy. If I make a chicken korma with red bell peppers, and I also make a lamb madras with yellow bell peppers, and you try both, you might notice the second one is spicier. But if you conclude that it's because of the colour of the bell pepper, you're wrong. You have to look at the ingredients in totality to work out how much difference each input makes, if any.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    Nigelb said:

A talk Timothy Snyder gave five years ago at the Bundestag on Hermany’s historical responsibility for Ukraine.
    https://marieluisebeck.de/artikel/20-06-2017/timothy-snyder-germanys-historical-responsibility-ukraine

Worth reading the whole thing, but given recent comments about Ukrainian collaboration with Hitler, this is worth pointing out.
    … These points although they are very basic and they are completely obvious, when you think about them, are typical of Ukrainian history. They are typical for the fact that Ukraine was ruled first as part of Soviet Union and then under an incredibly bloody and devastating German occupation.

When we think about the way that occupation ended we often overlook certain basic points, like this: far, far more Ukrainians died fighting against the Wehrmacht than fighting on the side of the Wehrmacht. Incomparably more Ukrainians were fighting against the Wehrmacht than on the side of the Wehrmacht. Which is not something that one can say about any country that is considered being an ally. It's not something that one can say for example about France, which is why there is no official French history of the Second World War and why there will never be an official French history of the Second World War even under Macron. There are some things Macron cannot do and one of them will be this. He will not write the official history of the Second World War in France. Because more French soldiers fought on the axis side than on the allied side.

More Ukrainians died on the allied side than French. More Ukrainians fought and died on the allied side than British. More Ukrainians fought and died on the allied side than Americans. More Ukrainians fought and died on the allied side than French, British and Americans put together …

It has been fascinating over the last few days reading Max Hastings account of the movement of the Das Reich Division from Montalban up to Normandy in the days following D Day. He talks extensively about the background to resistance and how very few French were actually involved in resistance prior to 6th June 1944. Overwhelmingly most were 'content' - if that is the right word - to await liberation and just get on with their lives with hopefully the minimum of disruption. Indeed most of those who joined the Marquis prior to June 1944 did so to escape "Service du Travail Obligatoire" - deportation to Germany to work - rather than to actively fight the Germans.

I have no doubt this was the same in most Western European countries and would have been the same to a large extent in Britain had the Germans conquered us.

The East was a different war.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Sitting outside. First time this year.

In shorts and a short sleeved shirt.

Too nice an evening to waste.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2022
    FYI, everybody should update their browsers ASAP. The naughty cyber criminals in North Korea have heen using a zero day exploit for Chromium based browsers, which has now been found out. Google have issued an emergency stand alone update, which they virtually never do. Only a matter of time before wider network of hackers and scammer use the exploit.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    ydoethur said:

Jealous, in the nicest possible way. It’s a shitty weekend to be tucked up with CV19, but it could be worse.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

The blacklog of destroyed Russian equipment is still the same as before. The volume of new materiel prevents me from starting on it.

Is this Chap, just doing it himself, as a hobby so to speak, or is he employed by an organisation?

I'm surprised that somebody could not help him, there must be lots of Tank-spotter geeks who would love the Qudoes of being involved in this.
    Collaboration with one other guy, I think.
    Obviously there’s a load of people out there sending them images, but I think they do all the assessment themselves - which is probably the only way to keep something set up so quickly honest.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

I believe he has a lot of help from others online including the extensive checking and geo-locating. But in the end it is he who is doing the final compiling and cataloguing and that is in itself a huge amount of work.
  • Options
    TimT said:

RobD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

I have no doubt that mask-wearing was a very valuable component of combatting the spread for most of the pandemic, but I have very strong doubts that, with omicron and BA.2, that is still true for anything other than N95 and better masks now, simply because the R is so high.

The study pre-dates omicron. And it does not prove the effectiveness of masks as clearly as the table implies, given that there is self-reporting involved. People who self-report to wear masks indoors probably are more risk averse to COVID in every aspect of their lives - the amount of time they spend outside their house, in company with other people, indoors in public areas, how close they get to others, how frequently and diligently they wash their hands, and so on and so on.

Thus, from my reading of the paper, what the graphic shows is that people who self-report as always wearing masks indoors have a mindset and a set of behaviours which, combined, reduce their chances of getting COVID by the stated number. I highly doubt that all, or even the majority of, the stated reduction was directly attributable to mask-wearing, even before omicron came along.
    There have been other studies done that control for confounding variables that you describe that unambiguously show that masks were an effective prevention against Covid spread, not at all relying on self-declared usage.
    All the ones I've seen were pre-Omicron, so I'm not sticking my neck out on how things are NOW, but the last I looked, autumn, it was clear that masks worked on pre-Omicron, from multiple high-quality studies with different methodologies.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    VAR rocks.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    edited March 2022
    Thanks for the Perez tip, MD. :smile:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Perez on pole; long odds for that!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    ydoethur said:

Last one for a while, if the forecast is to be believed.

British Summer Time stating in its usual ironic way.
  • Options
    Kane appeared really nervous there.
  • Options
    Wow. Where did that lap come from for Perez?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

There have been other studies done that control for confounding variables that you describe that unambiguously show that masks were an effective prevention against Covid spread, not at all relying on self-declared usage.
    All the ones I've seen were pre-Omicron, so I'm not sticking my neck out on how things are NOW, but the last I looked, autumn, it was clear that masks worked on pre-Omicron, from multiple high-quality studies with different methodologies.
    As I said, I do believe masks were an important tool in the box.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jealous, in the nicest possible way. It’s a shitty weekend to be tucked up with CV19, but it could be worse.
    Get well soon, friend.

I don't get many chances to sit outside peacefully sipping a cider, so I hope you'll forgive me for making the most of my good fortune.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

The Omicron wave in South Korea, a model country for managing its pandemic, has led to the highest current per capita death rate of any country in the world
    https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1507758525447294977

Not an interesting test, because I'm not aware of other countries having bodies piled in the street. Impossible to contextualise

Also worldometers doesn't seem to know about the existence of either Korea. Not helping.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Dubai welcoming Russian money and saying Fuck the West

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/26/dubai-throws-open-the-doors-for-the-rich-russians-escaping-sanctions?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Really?

I’ve been crunching the numbers. The combined GDP of the West is about $45-50 Trillion.

TRILLION. The entire global economy is $80 trillion

And by the West I mean USA, EU, UK, Japan, Canada, South Korea, Switzerland etc.

I’ve left out big economies which might be deemed neutral: India, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, Vietnam - who knows which they would ultimately swing.

The West is, still, overwhelmingly powerful and, still, technologically far more advanced. We need to man up and beat the living shit out of parasitical little blobs like the UAE. And Ireland
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    I wrote a header about this the other day - https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/03/19/not-again/

But the details in this story about maternity care failures at Shrewsbury are truly shocking and saddening.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fatal-nhs-obsession-with-natural-births-nxdsvxn5v

The perils of targets and idees fixe combined to do great harm to mothers and babies.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

I’m also down with the fucking lurgy, caught from my friends. AGAIN. Sympathies
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135

FYI, everybody should update their browsers ASAP. The naughty cyber criminals in North Korea have heen using a zero day exploit for Chromium based browsers, which has now been found out. Google have issued an emergency stand alone update, which they virtually never do. Only a matter of time before wider network of hackers and scammer use the exploit.

Is it just Chrome or are Safari, Firefox etc also affected?

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    ydoethur said:

Have been outside all week enjoying the sun and warmer dry evenings accompanied by various quantities of drinks (probably can be directly related to my postings). Spent all day outside on the terrace and now watching the sun dip down west. I know the weather is supposed to turn again next week but this week is the amuse bouche of weather giving a taster of late spring and summer.

The joy of seeing bumblebees, butterflies and wasps that aren’t actually interested in you as they are waking up and working.
  • Options
    Leon said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/26/dubai-throws-open-the-doors-for-the-rich-russians-escaping-sanctions?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Really?

I’ve been crunching the numbers. The combined GDP of the West is about $45-50 Trillion.

And by the West I mean USA, EU, UK, Japan, Canada, South Korea, Switzerland etc.

I’ve left out big economies which might be deemed neutral: India, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, Vietnam - who knows which they would ultimately swing.

The West is, still, overwhelmingly powerful and, still, technologically far more advanced. We need to man up and beat the living shit out of parasitical little blobs like the UAE. And Ireland

What would be wonderful would be to develop technologies that enable us to escape from all extraction economies, whether for energy or for materials.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Really?

Dubai is the go to place for dirty money. There was an article in El Pais about how all the top criminals have left the Costa del Crime for Dubai, leaving the thugs under their command to organise day to day drug, arms, etc trades.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Leon said:

Really?

Dubai is the go to place for dirty money. There was an article in El Pais about how all the top criminals have left the Costa del Crime for Dubai, leaving the thugs under their command to organise day to day drug, arms, etc trades.
    The Mugabes throw the best parties apparently.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

You are living proof that it’s not masks that prevent covid - it’s sleeves. We’ve been covering up the wrong parts.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Really?

Next week, after the UAE tourist board puts adverts in the Spectator:
    Leon said:

I'm in Sharjah for the Flint Knappers Monthly and it's the best place ever! Here's a list of hotels I recommend and do check out the Souq Al Markazi. Official deluxe tours from 100AED, book now! Don't forget your Hilfiger gilet, it gets cold at night.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    geoffw said:

Is it just Chrome or are Safari, Firefox etc also affected?

The exploit has been identified specifically in Chromium, but they aren't saying what it is publicly, so it could be that a similar weakness might exist elsewhere (hence worth checking if an update for the others).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Nigelb said:

Yet another F1 race held in a non-democracy? Tsk!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. 86, middling-long (15). Nice bet to come off, though.

Mr. B, np. Bit flukey. But I'll take it.

If it needed to be done, how would one update a browser? Pretty sure Firefox updated itself this morning.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    My most interesting factoid of the day:

The inventor and manufacturer of the Turkish drone - Bayraktar - that has proved so devastating to RU forces in Ukr is Erdogan's son in law.

(from article in Spectator).
  • Options
    edited March 2022

The inventor and manufacturer of the Turkish drone - Bayraktar - that has proved so devastating to RU forces in Ukr is Erdogan's son in law.

I thought that was well known? Clever chappie, graduate from MIT. Convinced father in law there was an good opportunity for Turkey to get into the military drone business.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    As an aside, I also have a bet on Perez at 16 to win the race. Reasonably sure I mentioned this before practice started.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

You are living proof that it’s not masks that prevent covid - it’s sleeves. We’ve been covering up the wrong parts.
    This is the third time I’ve had Covid, or something like it (and not like a normal cold) in four months

It’s quite boring. They are also getting progressively milder - if indeed they are Covid

Could just be all the bugs I’ve avoided for 2 years catching up with me. I am now socializing as I did pre-pandemic and I very seldom wear masks
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Biden calling for regime change in Russia. Hmmmm…
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

The Omicron wave in South Korea, a model country for managing its pandemic, has led to the highest current per capita death rate of any country in the world
    https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1507758525447294977

Not an interesting test, because I'm not aware of other countries having bodies piled in the street. Impossible to contextualise

Also worldometers doesn't seem to know about the existence of either Korea. Not helping.
    errr? wouldometer does know about Korea, here is the link to the South Korea Covid page:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Good to see such an old guy thinking strategically, isn't it? It IS what's needed, for everyone's sake. Apart from Putin's.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

This is the third time I’ve had Covid, or something like it (and not like a normal cold) in four months

It’s quite boring. They are also getting progressively milder - if indeed they are Covid

Could just be all the bugs I’ve avoided for 2 years catching up with me. I am now socializing as I did pre-pandemic and I very seldom wear masks
    I keep catching covid weekly. Always after socials dancing and drinking loads of Nytimber. Headache, dry mouth, aching body.

Either Covid isn’t really understood or it’s spread by English champagne 😆.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

I keep catching covid weekly. Always after socials dancing and drinking loads of Nytimber. Headache, dry mouth, aching body.

‘Alcohol poisoning by high end English fizz’ has occurred to me as a potential alternative diagnosis… but a lot of excellent wine has never made me sleep for 18 hours straight, 2 days later
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733

Nigelb said:

Almost as bad as a one-party kleptocracy like Northamptonshire.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

‘Alcohol poisoning by high end English fizz’ has occurred to me as a potential alternative diagnosis… but a lot of excellent wine has never made me sleep for 18 hours straight, 2 days later
    Sounds like someone was slipping you Roofies….!
  • Options

I thought that was well known? Clever chappie, graduate from MIT. Convinced father in law there was an good opportunity for Turkey to get into the military drone business.
    Maybe it is well known. I didn't know it.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Farooq said:

moonshine said:

Good to see such an old guy thinking strategically, isn't it? It IS what's needed, for everyone's sake. Apart from Putin's.
    What is gained by saying that out loud?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited March 2022

i canceled my Sky Sports sub 5 years ago as sick of the football . I do all my sport watching now on youtube as I like minority sports and although rarely live in youtube because they are minority sports (modern pentathlon, triathlon ,orienteering, university level athletics etc ) you cna watch as live as you dont know the result.

Being sick of football is a very honourable position to take :smiley:
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Another detailed lucidtalk poll out on Monday. Will be fascinating to see what it shows particularly for the DUP.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Almost as bad as a one-party kleptocracy like Northamptonshire.
    We've already had regime change there. It no longer exists. It's now the People's Sovereign Decision of West Northamptonshire.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Having trouble with words this afternoon.

I keep thinking that that landing ship Orsk is a womble.

i canceled my Sky Sports sub 5 years ago as sick of the football . I do all my sport watching now on youtube as I like minority sports and although rarely live in youtube because they are minority sports (modern pentathlon, triathlon ,orienteering, university level athletics etc ) you cna watch as live as you dont know the result.

It does sometimes throw up an occasional interesting event. Who would have expected moribund, bottom-of-the-table Dover to visit promotion-chasing Wrexham and score 5 goals?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    edited March 2022

MattW said:

It does sometimes throw up an occasional interesting event. Who would have expected moribund, bottom-of-the-table Dover to visit promotion-chasing Wrexham and score 5 goals?
    And still contrive to lose.
  • Options
    Janan Ganesh:

• Options
    dixiedean said:

MattW said:

Boo ... spoiler alert!

• Options
    moonshine said:

Farooq said:

moonshine said:

Well, that's the nature of democracy, isn't it? You speak about the future you want, whether it be a question of policy or values. Well done to him for saying what is very obviously true. Russia needs a new government and Russians need the ability to fire their government.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

Janan Ganesh:

There's no original thinking in that, I'm afraid. The hyper sensitivity of western nations to threats of interruption in oil supplies have always been apparent - look at Saddam's invasion of Kuwait in 1990 and how that spiked oil prices as have periodic Iranian attempts to block the Straits of Hormuz.

Back home, remember the "fuel crisis" of 2000 and that brief nanosecond when the sceptre of Prime Minister William Hague crossed the horizon?

If anything, our reliance on resources (both oil and rare metals) has grown with the evolution of technology. it drives Chinese foreign and economic policy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    moonshine said:

Farooq said:

moonshine said:

Votes?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited March 2022

MattW said:

That's me told.

Must remember.

Dover visiting Wrexham is an interesting event.
    Nope. Can't make it stick.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Andy_JS said:

Someone on Talk Elections found this little gem.

"I am the very model of a Russian Major General
    My standing in the battlefield is growing quite untenable
    My forces, though equipped and given orders unequivocal
    Did not expect the fight to be remotely this reciprocal

I used to have a tank brigade but now I have lost several
    My fresh assaults are faltering with battleplans extemporal
    I can't recover vehicles but farmers in a tractor can
    It's all becoming rather reminiscent of Afghanistan

My ordnance is the best but only half my missiles make it there
    I would have thought by now that we would be controllers of the air
    But at the rate the snipers work my time here is ephemeral
    I am the very model of a Russian Major General"

Who'd be a Russian General?

Interesting tales of two Russian Generals. 1 suicide, and one sacked.

The commander of the 13th Guards Tank Regiment (4th Guards Tank Division) reportedly committed suicide according to Ukrainian sources. Possibly somewhere in the Sumy area.

went to pull tanks out of storage to put on the battlefield but the electronics have been stolen to sell the precious metals and the rest have engines removed etc. 10% appears to only be functioning and they have no idea how long it will take to be functional. 1/2

https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1507704547191500802?t=4O1NLCv2nb2Zv5eGqGUoPg&s=19

The #Kremlin dismissed the next #Russian Army General for a failure to occupy #Ukraine. A commander of the 1st Tank Army of the western military region, Gen. Sergei Kisel lost his post. The 1st tank army stormed the city of #Kharkiv but suffered unrepairable losses. #war https://t.co/lZ9nW0Q6Ms

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1507639152761790465?t=j-0nYmnckfC3RN-8naGgrQ&s=19
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MattW said:

The Dover defence might be the explanation!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Janan Ganesh:

There's no original thinking in that, I'm afraid. The hyper sensitivity of western nations to threats of interruption in oil supplies have always been apparent - look at Saddam's invasion of Kuwait in 1990 and how that spiked oil prices as have periodic Iranian attempts to block the Straits of Hormuz.

Back home, remember the "fuel crisis" of 2000 and that brief nanosecond when the sceptre of Prime Minister William Hague crossed the horizon?

If anything, our reliance on resources (both oil and rare metals) has grown with the evolution of technology. it drives Chinese foreign and economic policy.
    2000 is 22 years ago. A chunk of voters have come of age since. It's like inflation. The young don't have the memories.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    MattW said:

MattW said:

That's me told.

Must remember.

Loving the format fu, but that also works as

Football is interesting..
    Football is interesting.
    Football is interesting
  • Options
    I’m doing a job application, and I was amused by the fact that whoever built the list for ethnic group failed to notice that a return carriage had created two rows.

I guess Irish/British could be valid, but some applicants might think that “White - English/Welsh/Scottish/Northern” is taking the piss.

• Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Still a 2% Labour lead with opinium.

Tiny improvement in Johnson's ratings.
  • Options
    No signs of negative effect for conservatives in tonight's Opinium

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1507809615295102978?t=ij0YSSvF-s4EppLA4Xcqcg&s=19
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366
    Today is Saturday, We've Analytical Scores:

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 38% (+1)
    CON: 36% (+1)
    LDEM: 9% (-)
    GRN: 7% (-)

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1507810064115064839?t=1VofGhAhOSgn6of5eIe8og&s=19

via OpiniumResearch, 23 - 25 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 11 Feb

Last best chance for a Conservative lead this month? And if not this month, when?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

The commander of the 13th Guards Tank Regiment (4th Guards Tank Division) reportedly committed suicide according to Ukrainian sources. Possibly somewhere in the Sumy area.

went to pull tanks out of storage to put on the battlefield but the electronics have been stolen to sell the precious metals and the rest have engines removed etc. 10% appears to only be functioning and they have no idea how long it will take to be functional. 1/2

https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1507704547191500802?t=4O1NLCv2nb2Zv5eGqGUoPg&s=19

The #Kremlin dismissed the next #Russian Army General for a failure to occupy #Ukraine. A commander of the 1st Tank Army of the western military region, Gen. Sergei Kisel lost his post. The 1st tank army stormed the city of #Kharkiv but suffered unrepairable losses. #war https://t.co/lZ9nW0Q6Ms

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1507639152761790465?t=j-0nYmnckfC3RN-8naGgrQ&s=19
    suicide? maybe, or maybe his men had had enough? don't know so should not cast assertions, but on looking up the 13th Guards tank army to find the name of its commander, I could not find it, but noted that the 4th Guards Tank Division is led by a Colonel Yevgeny Nikolayevich Zhuravlyov (June 2021 – present), so presumably the Regimental commanders working for him as also Colonels at most.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

TSE and Tlg86 - I feel your pain.

I'm not his biggest fan but it's ridiculous he's back there.

Between the cavitation and the wretched circuit he had a lot deal with but he's still going to be pretty unhappy.

Let’s get something straight. As a kid I was a Damon Hill fan and then a McLaren fan as they’re my hometown team. I stopped supporting them when they treated some staff almost as disgracefully as P&O Ferries.

Above all I’m an F1/motorsports fan. I have a lot of respect for Lewis, though I think his fashion sense is terrible.

What happened in Abu Dhabi was a disgrace. You clearly have an issue with Hamilton. I know you’re intelligent, but for some strange reason you’re dislike of Hamilton means you can’t see what is obvious.
    Frankly, I just thought it was mildly amusing that somebody whose behaviour showed he clearly felt the title was his as by right didn't get it. I also felt, bluntly, that the cheating wasn't all on Verstappen's side even though his examples were undoubtedly more egregious. I also don't like Mercedes. I think they're a nasty company full of nasty people and to watch them getting so wound up and still losing was quite funny. Finally, it's entertaining to watch Hamilton fans - and notwithstanding your protestations I do count you as one - tie themselves in knots over what happened.

If there is any driver I admire in F1, it would be Ocon, although honourable ment ion to Vettel (who must be feeling really silly at the moment that he didn't manage to stay with Ferrari) for his protest in Saudi last time* and to Leclerc, who already looks very strong.

I will take the compliment about my intelligence though. Flattery will get you anywhere :smile:

*not forgetting Hamilton, to his credit, supported him.
    What do you mean “tie themselves in knots?”

Your first paragraph pretty much confirms that you think it was okay because it meant you got what you wanted.
    Well obviously I can't speak for ydoethur but that is certainly my position. I am delighted the arrogant prick didn't win. I think he and his team cheat just as much as any other and expect to get away with it whilst whining to make sure others are pulled up.
    I dislike Hamilton, not least for his hectoring other drivers and disingenuously claiming not to be and for the hagiographic BBC coverage of him in the last few years, but simple position is rules were not followed and he, the rightful winner, was denied as a result and thats wrong.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I’m doing a job application, and I was amused by the fact that whoever built the list for ethnic group failed to notice that a return carriage had created two rows.

I guess Irish/British could be valid, but some applicants might think that “White - English/Welsh/Scottish/Northern” is taking the piss.

I just find it horrific that those questions are asked. 100 years hence that'll be in history books as evidence of the hardline racism of now.

At least, I think that's right. Then again, it seems that agreeing with MLK that it shouldn't matter what colour you are marks you out as a hard right gammon fascist these days, so what do I know?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

suicide? maybe, or maybe his men had had enough? don't know so should not cast assertions, but on looking up the 13th Guards tank army to find the name of its commander, I could not find it, but noted that the 4th Guards Tank Division is led by a Colonel Yevgeny Nikolayevich Zhuravlyov (June 2021 – present), so presumably the Regimental commanders working for him as also Colonels at most.
    Being dismissed by Putin's gremlins in the middle of this shitstorm must be like winning the fecking lottery.

"See you comrades, I am off home to spend time with my wife and kids. Shame about the sacking, but we will get by."

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    I didn't think Putin would be as incalculably stupid as to invade Ukraine. The risks seemed far higher than any reward when it was plain Zelenskyy would fight and it wouldn't be Czechoslovakia 1968 but more like Hungary 1956.

I've seen it argued events in Afghanistan persuaded Putin the west would fold quicker than the average deckchair and accept the fait accompli of a Russian takeover. Wrong again.

The fundamentals of NATO have always been there - the Yugoslav experience was humbling in some ways - and the broadly collective stance has re-invigorated an alliance many were ready to write off with the coming of Trump.

Did the Europeans get Putin wrong? Well, yes, but they weren't the only ones and whether you argue Putin was only fed the advice his advisors thought he wanted to hear is now irrelevant. As I've argued here, if you want to sup with the Devil, ensure you have a suitably long spoon - perhaps in the need to secure vitally needed economic and energy resources, some in Europe cut the length of the spoon too short.

One thing from which I have drawn some comfort - Putin, like most dictators, likes the finer things of life to which the overwhelming majority of his people can never even aspire. The well-made clothes, the fine food, the opulent lifestyle, the trappings of wealth - all would be lost forever once the first nuclear missile is fired. It's the authoritarians of simple tastes who are to be feared - fortunately most like the best capitalism has to offer and the preservation of that lifestyle is paramount.

How does this end? I said at the beginning there was a huge opportunity for President Xi to emerge as a serious world player - broker a peace and while you won't be everyone's friend, everyone will remember when they wake up alive in the morning and the guns are silent. He of course doesn't have the skill or the nous to take it - perhaps someone else will.

I'm quite certain the current conflict is providing huge food for thought for defence and military analysts and strategists - are we seeing a new kind of "war" for the 21st century? As for the politics, no one benefits from having a disgruntled and vengeful Russia and even with the music and the clothes, do we really want the Cold War back?

There are times when countries and peoples have to ask themselves some hard questions and it's often after a national trauma these questions come to the forefront - the French, Germans and others in Europe have had to reconcile themselves to the roles of conqueror, conquered and collaborator but the winners too are changed by the experience. Arguably, Britain has struggled with its identity and purpose in the world since 1945 - perhaps Russia is now recognising its days as a world superpower are over and it needs to find a new purpose.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,918
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

I just find it horrific that those questions are asked. 100 years hence that'll be in history books as evidence of the hardline racism of now.

At least, I think that's right. Then again, it seems that agreeing with MLK that it shouldn't matter what colour you are marks you out as a hard right gammon fascist these days, so what do I know?
    As a pink pig (according to your avatar) you are a unique ethnic/racial profile as well as a gammon, so I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    No idea what all this means, but I suspect it is not good for Mad Vlad:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    14m
    BREAKING:

Russia has stated that the Army of Azerbaijan has entered the zone in Armenia held by 2000 Russian “peacekeeping soldiers” in accordance with the Nagorno-Karabakh Ceasefire Agreement from November 2020.

Russia says it’s now moving troops to their initial positions.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1507809504540377100
  • Options
    They're leaking tanks.

I thank you.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

It is a government requirement that this data is recorded.

In France it is policy not to keep such data, but that doesn't seem to have sorted racial equality.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/16/france-and-germany-urged-to-rethink-reluctance-to-gather-ethnicity-data
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

The assumption is people quoting him deny it was an aspiration, but think it has been achieved, in order to not do anything further, but I don't buy that. For some, definitely, but they have their extremist counters who do seem to think it should not even be an aspiration.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    moonshine said:

That's a risky strategy. Apparently not in the original speech.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

BigRich said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Being dismissed by Putin's gremlins in the middle of this shitstorm must be like winning the fecking lottery.

"See you comrades, I am off home to spend time with my wife and kids. Shame about the sacking, but we will get by."

"Just - make sure to wear gloves when grasping door-handles, comrade...."
  • Options
    Oh dear, never mind.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,918
    ydoethur said:

They're leaking tanks.

I thank you.
    What a deserting Russian soldier says: "Tanks for the memory".
    What the Ukrainian farmers' say; "Tanks alot!"
  • Options

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    14m
    BREAKING:

Russia has stated that the Army of Azerbaijan has entered the zone in Armenia held by 2000 Russian “peacekeeping soldiers” in accordance with the Nagorno-Karabakh Ceasefire Agreement from November 2020.

Hey, if Azerbaijan perceives a threat that is justified despite agreements, right Russia?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    edited March 2022

moonshine said:

That's a risky strategy. Apparently not in the original speech.
    Really? Jeez.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

MattW said:

The Dover defence might be the explanation!
    The Admiralty Turret on the eponymous pier. Two 16" guns. Victorian; forgotten till in relatively recent decades a chap had a look under the wooden floor ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiralty_Pier_Turret
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    kle4 said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    14m
    BREAKING:

Hey, if Azerbaijan perceives a threat that is justified despite agreements, right Russia?
    I have read the thread and the explainer and I am still unclear what the heck any of that means.
  • Options

mwadams said:

kle4 said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    14m
    BREAKING:

I have read the thread and the explainer and I am still unclear what the heck any of that means.
    AIUI the Russians are there as peacekeepers. The Azeris seem to relish another bash at the Armenians.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

I've started not to wear a mask. I guess you'd like me to? In which case I will.
    One of the strange things about living in one place and spending lots of time in another is you notice the wide variation in the two.

Walk into a supermarket in Stroud not wearing a mask and they look at you like you've dropped out of a dog's arse.

Walk into a supermarket round here wearing one and they're on the phone saying a lunatic's escaped.
    Asked my wife about Sainsbury's, Cobham (I don't know as, and I know this will come as a surprise to all of you, but I have broken legs 😁 so haven't been in a shop for awhile). She reckoned only 2 wearing masks. And we aren't far away from Nick in Godalming.

Was Nick in Sainsbury's or Waitrose? Could be Sainsbury's customers have a devil may care attitude.
  • Options

Today is Saturday, We've Analytical Scores:

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 38% (+1)
    CON: 36% (+1)
    LDEM: 9% (-)
    GRN: 7% (-)

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1507810064115064839?t=1VofGhAhOSgn6of5eIe8og&s=19

via OpiniumResearch, 23 - 25 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 11 Feb

Last best chance for a Conservative lead this month? And if not this month, when?

Three months and 20 days since the last Tory poll lead.
  • Options
    kjh said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

One of the strange things about living in one place and spending lots of time in another is you notice the wide variation in the two.

Walk into a supermarket in Stroud not wearing a mask and they look at you like you've dropped out of a dog's arse.

Walk into a supermarket round here wearing one and they're on the phone saying a lunatic's escaped.
    Asked my wife about Sainsbury's, Cobham (I don't know as, and I know this will come as a surprise to all of you, but I have broken legs 😁 so haven't been in a shop for awhile). She reckoned only 2 wearing masks. And we aren't far away from Nick in Godalming.

Was Nick in Sainsbury's or Waitrose? Could be Sainsbury's customers have a devil may care attitude.
    In Morrisons Leicester about 10% in masks. Petrol 2p cheaper than last week.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

mwadams said:

kle4 said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    14m
    BREAKING:

AIUI the Russians are there as peacekeepers. The Azeris seem to relish another bash at the Armenians.

Armenia did a Russia in the 1990s, seizing ethnic Armenian Nagorno-Karabakh (re-styled "Artsakh"), along with a significant amount of ethnic Azeri territory. In 2020, Azerbaijan retook almost all the occupied Azeri areas, with Russia stepping in as peacekeepers, ostensibly to keep Artsakh in Armenian hands.
  • Options
    For the first time in over two years, went to St James's Park (um, the one in London, not Newcastle!) today, it was packed!
  • Options
    Will the Windies have to bat again?
  • Options

For the first time in over two years, went to St James's Park (um, the one in London, not Newcastle!) today, it was packed!

St James infirmary next.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

mwadams said:

kle4 said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    14m
    BREAKING:

Given they lost, I'm surprised the Armenia PM did not resign, indeed he's won reelection since (though wiki says he dimissed the Chief of the General Staff following an attempt at a coup).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Any thoughts from @david_herdson ?

Yorkshire Party gain nailed on
  • Options
    I see in the 2021 Armenian elections one group was the 'I have honor' alliance. They did poorly, so I guess the Armenian public are saying they do not have any honour?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_Honor_Alliance
This discussion has been closed.