Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Yorkshire LAB getting excited about a possible by-election gain from CON – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2022 in General
imageYorkshire LAB getting excited about a possible by-election gain from CON – politicalbetting.com

One of the things about the main opposition party is that it is an awful long time ago since it was able to gain a seat in a Westminster by-election – something that the Tories and LDs have done at fairly regular intervals in recent years. In 2021 alone the Tories took Hartlepool from LAB while the LDs had spectacular gains at Chesham & Amersham and Shropshire North.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    tlg86 said:

Pickford
    Stones
    Coady
    Guéhi
    Walker-Peters
    Henderson
    Gallagher
    Shaw
    Foden
    Mount
    Kane

Seems a bit of a wasted opportunity to pick T-Rex arms in goal as usual and also not give Bellingham a start. We know exactly what Pickford and Henderson give you (and what their limitations are).

Southgate made the point that it’s important to have experienced players to help the new players get used to it. Switzerland are no mugs.
    Pope is experienced campaigner so I don't think there is any issue there. I think I might have liked to see Rice / Bellingham rather than Henderson / Gallagher as the former is a real potential central midfield for England at the WC. Also, I don't understand the attraction of Coady at all. Lets see if White can actually do it.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

tlg86 said:

Pickford
    Stones
    Coady
    Guéhi
    Walker-Peters
    Henderson
    Gallagher
    Shaw
    Foden
    Mount
    Kane

Seems a bit of a wasted opportunity to pick T-Rex arms in goal as usual and also not give Bellingham a start. We know exactly what Pickford and Henderson give you (and what their limitations are).

Southgate made the point that it’s important to have experienced players to help the new players get used to it. Switzerland are no mugs.
    Pope is experienced campaigner so I don't think there is any issue there. I think I might have liked to see Rice / Bellingham rather than Henderson / Gallagher as the former is a real potential central midfield for England at the WC. Also, I don't understand the attraction of Coady at all. Lets see if White can actually do it.
    I guess Rice/Bellingham might start on Tuesday.

I think Ben White has potential. His distribution is very good. He occasionally gets caught underneath the ball, but he’s getting better.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,724
    Any thoughts from @david_herdson ?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    Wakefield is only 38th on the Labour target list.

If there is a by election Labour would have to gain it for Starmer to have any chance of becoming PM at the next general election
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Wheels falling off the “a big boy did it then he ran away” defence:

A CURRENT SNP cabinet chief was last night dragged into the CalMac ferries scandal with documents suggesting he gave the nod to the doomed shipyard deal.

Justice Secretary Keith Brown came under the spotlight the day after Nicola Sturgeon appeared to blame disgraced ex minister Derek Mackay for the fiasco.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/8621739/keith-brown-in-spotlight-ferguson-shipyard-scandal/
    edited March 2022
    Leaving aside the politics, the terrorism and the stupid timing, the surface of this circuit would disgrace a go kart track.

Whose mad idea was it to hold a Grand Prix here?
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769
    ydoethur said:

Leaving aside the politics, the terrorism and the stupid timing, the surface of this circuit would disgrace a go kart track.

Whose mad idea was it to hold a Grand Prix here.

The accountants.
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Whose mad idea was it to hold a Grand Prix here.

The accountants.
    Ok, should have thought of that.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951
    If there is a by-election, the circumstances of it arising will make it difficult to have much of a national read across.
    edited March 2022
    Latifi bins it. Ferraris buggered.

ETA - ooof. How on Earth did that happen? Can't see anything Latifi did wrong.

The drivers should really just tell the bean counters to fuck off.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    ydoethur said:

Latifi bins it. Ferraris buggered.

ETA - ooof. How on Earth did that happen? Can't see anything Latifi did wrong.

The drivers should really just tell the bean counters to fuck off.

F1 tracks are way too small - there ought to be 10km straights.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    More "are we the baddies?" material...

Melinda Simmons
    @MelSimmonsFCDO

Drobitzky Yar on the outskirts of Kharkiv, where 11,000 Jews were shot by Nazis in a ravine in 1942. Shelled by Russians in 2022.

https://twitter.com/MelSimmonsFCDO/status/1507668831812075521
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,695
    HYUFD said:

If there is a by election Labour would have to gain it for Starmer to have any chance of becoming PM at the next general election

If there was a by election labour would romp home
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

If there was a by election labour would romp home
    If they didn't, I do agree with Hyufd that it would be a terrible result for them and put the pressure firmly back on Starmer.
    edited March 2022
    Crawley, you muppet.

ETA - but it could be worse, he could be Lewis Hamilton.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Not that long since Labour dreaded by elections. One wonders what might have occured had they not scraped over the line in Batley and Spen.
    edited March 2022

If there is a by-election, the circumstances of it arising will make it difficult to have much of a national read across.

True of a lot of by elections. Doesnt stop parties pretending wins in safe seats are very significant.
    TSE and Tlg86 - I feel your pain.

I'm not his biggest fan but it's ridiculous he's back there.

Between the cavitation and the wretched circuit he had a lot deal with but he's still going to be pretty unhappy.
    kle4 said:

Not that long since Labour dreaded by elections. One wonders what might have occured had they not scraped over the line in Batley and Spen.

Batley and Spen was/is uncomfortable. I will say though that Kim Leadbeater seems to be making a decent fist of being an MP though.
    ydoethur said:

Between the cavitation and the wretched circuit he had a lot deal with but he's still going to be pretty unhappy.

Let’s get something straight. As a kid I was a Damon Hill fan and then a McLaren fan as they’re my hometown team. I stopped supporting them when they treated some staff almost as disgracefully as P&O Ferries.

Above all I’m an F1/motorsports fan. I have a lot of respect for Lewis, though I think his fashion sense is terrible.

What happened in Abu Dhabi was a disgrace. You clearly have an issue with Hamilton. I know you’re intelligent, but for some strange reason you’re dislike of Hamilton means you can’t see what is obvious.

TimT said:

Dmitri A. Medvedev, the former Russian president and vice chairman of Russia’s Security Council, said the country was prepared to use nuclear weapons against the United States and Europe if its existence was threatened, the latest instance of nuclear saber-rattling as Russia faces fierce resistance in Ukraine.

NY Times blog

Actually, I don't think that was nuclear saber rattling. That is the whole basis of MAD, is that NW WILL, not might, be used if there is an existential threat.
    It qualifies as sabre-rattling if a Russian military defeat in Ukraine is defined as being an existential threat to Russia, which is what has been suggested multiple times by Putin and others.

I want to see Russia completely defeated in Ukraine and forced back to the 2014 borders, but the message the Russians are suggesting is that would be an existential threat to them, to which they'd respond with nuclear weapons, so don't support Ukraine too strongly.

You and I might define an existential non-nuclear threat to Russia to be a NATO armoured advance on Moscow, but if they say it's a Ukrainian advance on Sevastapol how sure can we be that is a bluff, and do we hold back some support for Ukraine to avoid the risk of calling that bluff?

I really don't know, but I think that's the message Russia is trying to send.
    I think that's right. A signal to the West that if things go to a point Russia cannot claim a win (even just holding on to Donbas and Crimea) then that itself is too much. Its plausible unfortunately.

edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Let’s get something straight. As a kid I was a Damon Hill fan and then a McLaren fan as they’re my hometown team. I stopped supporting them when they treated some staff almost as disgracefully as P&O Ferries.

Above all I’m an F1/motorsports fan. I have a lot of respect for Lewis, though I think his fashion sense is terrible.

What happened in Abu Dhabi was a disgrace. You clearly have an issue with Hamilton. I know you’re intelligent, but for some strange reason you’re dislike of Hamilton means you can’t see what is obvious.
    Frankly, I just thought it was mildly amusing that somebody whose behaviour showed he clearly felt the title was his as by right didn't get it. I also felt, bluntly, that the cheating wasn't all on Verstappen's side even though his examples were undoubtedly more egregious. I also don't like Mercedes. I think they're a nasty company full of nasty people and to watch them getting so wound up and still losing was quite funny. Finally, it's entertaining to watch Hamilton fans - and notwithstanding your protestations I do count you as one - tie themselves in knots over what happened.

If there is any driver I admire in F1, it would be Ocon, although honourable ment ion to Vettel (who must be feeling really silly at the moment that he didn't manage to stay with Ferrari) for his protest in Saudi last time* and to Leclerc, who already looks very strong.

I will take the compliment about my intelligence though. Flattery will get you anywhere :smile:

*not forgetting Hamilton, to his credit, supported him.
    Ffs, Root.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,151
    I suggest that it would be a good idea for Root to step down from the captaincy once this match and series is lost, and he can focus on being the top level batter that he can be.

Not sure who is going to replace him though!
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Frankly, I just thought it was mildly amusing that somebody whose behaviour showed he clearly felt the title was his as by right didn't get it. I also felt, bluntly, that the cheating wasn't all on Verstappen's side even though his examples were undoubtedly more egregious. I also don't like Mercedes. I think they're a nasty company full of nasty people and to watch them getting so wound up and still losing was quite funny. Finally, it's entertaining to watch Hamilton fans - and notwithstanding your protestations I do count you as one - tie themselves in knots over what happened.

If there is any driver I admire in F1, it would be Ocon, although honourable ment ion to Vettel (who must be feeling really silly at the moment that he didn't manage to stay with Ferrari) for his protest in Saudi last time* and to Leclerc, who already looks very strong.

I will take the compliment about my intelligence though. Flattery will get you anywhere :smile:

What do you mean “tie themselves in knots?”

Your first paragraph pretty much confirms that you think it was okay because it meant you got what you wanted.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    edited March 2022

A CURRENT SNP cabinet chief was last night dragged into the CalMac ferries scandal with documents suggesting he gave the nod to the doomed shipyard deal.

Justice Secretary Keith Brown came under the spotlight the day after Nicola Sturgeon appeared to blame disgraced ex minister Derek Mackay for the fiasco.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/8621739/keith-brown-in-spotlight-ferguson-shipyard-scandal/

LOL, all the rats trying to blame each other. They are as useless as the Westminster mob and just as duplicitious.
  • Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

Should be at least a narrow gain for Labour. The Erdington swing of 4.5% towards Labour would see them take it.

I'm fascinated to see who the Tories put up though, most likely Anthony Calvert who stood against Ed Balls in 2010 and in Wakefield in 2015 and 2017 or possibly the Tory cllr for Ossett who is a prolific poster on the Voteuk forum and who was Ahmad-Khan's agent in 2019.

I would also be bullish about Labour's chances in hypothetical by elections in Ipswich and Shrewsbury even if it's trickier for Labour to hold these in a GE.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,873
    ydoethur said:

Ffs, Root.

Could lose it tonight...

ydoethur said:

Ffs, Root.

Could lose it tonight...
    True for many on PB :)

(Ok well me)
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    kle4 said:

TimT said:

Dmitri A. Medvedev, the former Russian president and vice chairman of Russia’s Security Council, said the country was prepared to use nuclear weapons against the United States and Europe if its existence was threatened, the latest instance of nuclear saber-rattling as Russia faces fierce resistance in Ukraine.

NY Times blog

Actually, I don't think that was nuclear saber rattling. That is the whole basis of MAD, is that NW WILL, not might, be used if there is an existential threat.
    It qualifies as sabre-rattling if a Russian military defeat in Ukraine is defined as being an existential threat to Russia, which is what has been suggested multiple times by Putin and others.

I want to see Russia completely defeated in Ukraine and forced back to the 2014 borders, but the message the Russians are suggesting is that would be an existential threat to them, to which they'd respond with nuclear weapons, so don't support Ukraine too strongly.

You and I might define an existential non-nuclear threat to Russia to be a NATO armoured advance on Moscow, but if they say it's a Ukrainian advance on Sevastapol how sure can we be that is a bluff, and do we hold back some support for Ukraine to avoid the risk of calling that bluff?

I think that's right. A signal to the West that if things go to a point Russia cannot claim a win (even just holding on to Donbas and Crimea) then that itself is too much. Its plausible unfortunately.

End of Putin is a very desirable outcome. But no one is clear what that would take.

Even better, Putin later arrested and tried for war crimes, using one of the ICC unpublished arrest warrants.

But it is all predicated on what Ukraine wants.
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

TimT said:

NY Times blog

End of Putin is a very desirable outcome. But no one is clear what that would take.

Even better, Putin later arrested and tried for war crimes, using one of the ICC unpublished arrest warrants.

A rope, and one as well placed as any rope could be.
    ydoethur said:

Isn't cavitation a Boat thing? Normally very big boats?
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,151
    Thanks for coming Lawrence.

Not a test player. Same applies for most of the team 😡
  • Eng 0 - 1 Sui
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited March 2022
    Damn.

Switzerland 1-0 England
  • ping said:

Damn.

Switzerland 1-0 England

Nearly 2
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

TimT said:

NY Times blog

It’s a weird one - “End of Putin” seems very desirable but we don’t know it’s really the answer.

Is it better to have a neutered Putin in position who cannot risk anything stupid again as on last chance or an unknown replacement who might be actually competent AND evil…..

Let’s face it we aren’t going to wave goodbye to Putin and have him replaced by a benevolent Mandela type - Navalny isn’t particularly desirable as he’s a Russian nationalist too just a slightly different flavour. And probably more competent.

So my vote would be a weak Putin for a few years and the Russian people gradually finding their voice and someone emerging to take over.

If he does get removed however it has to be by the Russians and not an assassination that can be pinned on the west rightly or wrongly.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,543
    Bulk price for the German anti tank weapons:
    First batch of German anti-tank Matador guns has arrived in Ukraine

2650 guns have arrived, 2450 will be produced; Kyiv bought them for €25mn

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1507764517614280707
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    boulay said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

TimT said:

NY Times blog

It’s a weird one - “End of Putin” seems very desirable but we don’t know it’s really the answer.

Is it better to have a neutered Putin in position who cannot risk anything stupid again as on last chance or an unknown replacement who might be actually competent AND evil…..

Let’s face it we aren’t going to wave goodbye to Putin and have him replaced by a benevolent Mandela type - Navalny isn’t particularly desirable as he’s a Russian nationalist too just a slightly different flavour. And probably more competent.

So my vote would be a weak Putin for a few years and the Russian people gradually finding their voice and someone emerging to take over.

If he does get removed however it has to be by the Russians and not an assassination that can be pinned on the west rightly or wrongly.
    Putin dying wouldn't be the solution but the the solution starts there.
    What Russia really needs is democracy.

I suggest that it would be a good idea for Root to step down from the captaincy once this match and series is lost, and he can focus on being the top level batter that he can be.

Not sure who is going to replace him though!

The only other automatic pick is Stokes, but with due respect to his remarkable talents I think he would be the wrong choice.

Bairstow perhaps, as an interim measure while grooming Lawrence or Crawley?

Bloody hell, that's a big crash.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Bubbles in liquids (here, fuel)
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,160
    edited March 2022
    On topic, whilst they've been a little unlucky with where by-elections have taken place, it really is amazing that Labour have only had one gain in the 12 years the Tories have been in office, with three losses (two to the Conservatives and one to Galloway) and several where they have slipped out of second place.

More broadly, although Starmer and his team are more politically astute than either of his predecessors, their campaigns department remains dire and they need to re-learn some campaigning basics. Their literature is poor, online game some way behind the Conservatives still, and they cannot do a decent photo op. I know all parties have some shiterature going out in places, but they really need to up their game at HQ - it's unprofessional.
    The Omicron wave in South Korea, a model country for managing its pandemic, has led to the highest current per capita death rate of any country in the world
    https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1507758525447294977
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

(Someone will be able to answer better)

It's just a thing with fluids. A bit like a Hurricane in the weather. With dense fluids it can be almost like a drill on apparently very hard things.
    Can we all, anyway, agree that this circuit is unfit for racing and the bean counter who said there should be a race here should be forced to listen to Gavin Williamson speeches for all eternity?
    edited March 2022
    Astonishing news from the cricket.

England are three down but Alex Lees is somehow not one of them.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    ydoethur said:

send em home
    ydoethur said:

To be honest Gavin Williamson must feature as a possible in future selections.
    ydoethur said:

Can we all, anyway, agree that this circuit is unfit for racing and the bean counter who said there should be a race here should be forced to listen to Gavin Williamson speeches for all eternity?

I'd have thought watching F1 is punishment enough.
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

The Omicron wave in South Korea, a model country for managing its pandemic, has led to the highest current per capita death rate of any country in the world

shows the stupidity of those calling for restrictions in summer last year especially including the SNP and welsh labour
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Well you can't anyway unless you want to pay for watching the ghastliness that is football.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

What do you mean “tie themselves in knots?”

Your first paragraph pretty much confirms that you think it was okay because it meant you got what you wanted.
    Well obviously I can't speak for ydoethur but that is certainly my position. I am delighted the arrogant prick didn't win. I think he and his team cheat just as much as any other and expect to get away with it whilst whining to make sure others are pulled up.
    Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Well you can't anyway unless you want to pay for watching the ghastliness that is football.
    I've got it with my cricket package.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:

Kyiv Bought...... But Germany doesn't have any more weapons it could give, according to German defence minister
    A talk Timothy Snyder gave five years ago at the Bundestag on Hermany’s historical responsibility for Ukraine.
    https://marieluisebeck.de/artikel/20-06-2017/timothy-snyder-germanys-historical-responsibility-ukraine

Worth reading the whole thing, but given recent comments about Ukrainian collaboration with Hitler, this is worth pointing out.
    … These points although they are very basic and they are completely obvious, when you think about them, are typical of Ukrainian history. They are typical for the fact that Ukraine was ruled first as part of Soviet Union and then under an incredibly bloody and devastating German occupation.

When we think about the way that occupation ended we often overlook certain basic points, like this: far, far more Ukrainians died fighting against the Wehrmacht than fighting on the side of the Wehrmacht. Incomparably more Ukrainians were fighting against the Wehrmacht than on the side of the Wehrmacht. Which is not something that one can say about any country that is considered being an ally. It's not something that one can say for example about France, which is why there is no official French history of the Second World War and why there will never be an official French history of the Second World War even under Macron. There are some things Macron cannot do and one of them will be this. He will not write the official history of the Second World War in France. Because more French soldiers fought on the axis side than on the allied side.

More Ukrainians died on the allied side than French. More Ukrainians fought and died on the allied side than British. More Ukrainians fought and died on the allied side than Americans. More Ukrainians fought and died on the allied side than French, British and Americans put together …
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Your cricket package is shorthand for the contents of your box, I take it.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

If there's a package whereby you get cricket, rugby, f1, but also carpet bomb all football grounds then I'll look into it.
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Batley and Spen was/is uncomfortable. I will say though that Kim Leadbeater seems to be making a decent fist of being an MP though.
    I'd call B&S an unforced error by the Tories.
    Nigelb said:

A talk Timothy Snyder gave five years ago at the Bundestag on Hermany’s historical responsibility for Ukraine.
    https://marieluisebeck.de/artikel/20-06-2017/timothy-snyder-germanys-historical-responsibility-ukraine

Worth reading the whole thing, but given recent comments about Ukrainian collaboration with Hitler, this is worth pointing out.
    … These points although they are very basic and they are completely obvious, when you think about them, are typical of Ukrainian history. They are typical for the fact that Ukraine was ruled first as part of Soviet Union and then under an incredibly bloody and devastating German occupation.

When we think about the way that occupation ended we often overlook certain basic points, like this: far, far more Ukrainians died fighting against the Wehrmacht than fighting on the side of the Wehrmacht. Incomparably more Ukrainians were fighting against the Wehrmacht than on the side of the Wehrmacht. Which is not something that one can say about any country that is considered being an ally. It's not something that one can say for example about France, which is why there is no official French history of the Second World War and why there will never be an official French history of the Second World War even under Macron. There are some things Macron cannot do and one of them will be this. He will not write the official history of the Second World War in France. Because more French soldiers fought on the axis side than on the allied side.

More Ukrainians died on the allied side than French. More Ukrainians fought and died on the allied side than British. More Ukrainians fought and died on the allied side than Americans. More Ukrainians fought and died on the allied side than French, British and Americans put together …

Although I should point out that was partly because those Ukrainians who enlisted were widely used in non-combat roles as well.

The sad thing about Ukraine is that everyone has always used them as a pawn. Germany in 1918, the Whites in 1919, the Soviets in 1922 and 1931, the Nazis in 1941 and the Soviets again in 1944 and 1948. And now the Russians. Or even NATO, arguably, who are getting if I am honest a little too much schadenfreude out of Ukraine making the Russians look incredibly silly even as they are pounded into rubble.

And I could go further back and talk about the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth and their role within it.

And what have they always wanted? To be left alone to live in peace.
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

If there's a package whereby you get cricket, rugby, f1, but also carpet bomb all football grounds then I'll look into it.
    Perhaps we (note plural) should suggest it to Sky? :smiley:
    MattW said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

I'd call B&S an unforced error by the Tories.
    I meant though that it was awkward that the MP was elected because of her celebrity, and particularly because of how that celebrity was obtained. I doubt Ms Leadbeater doesn't think it's a little awkward too.
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Perhaps we (note plural) should suggest it to Sky? :smiley:
    But only Dura Ace owns a significant fleet of Vulcan bombers!

Edit: @Dura_Ace
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

Kyiv Bought...... But Germany doesn't have any more weapons it could give, according to German defence minister
    Not give, sell
    Somehow a fourth wicket falls and it's still not Alex Lees.

So England are in effect five down for 39.
    ydoethur said:

Somehow a fourth wicket falls and it's still not Alex Lees.

So England are in effect five down for 39.

Extras are top scorer....
    i canceled my Sky Sports sub 5 years ago as sick of the football . I do all my sport watching now on youtube as I like minority sports and although rarely live in youtube because they are minority sports (modern pentathlon, triathlon ,orienteering, university level athletics etc ) you cna watch as live as you dont know the result.

i canceled my Sky Sports sub 5 years ago as sick of the football . I do all my sport watching now on youtube as I like minority sports and although rarely live in youtube because they are minority sports (modern pentathlon, triathlon ,orienteering, university level athletics etc ) you cna watch as live as you dont know the result.

All county cricket matches are live on YouTube, although you sometimes have to create a free account to watch.
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

Given the fact they have had access to vaccines and are a highly developed country with access to world class medical technology, it makes it even more shocking.

World leaders at keeping covid at bay for so long, but gone south very quickly.

Nigelb said:

Given the fact they have had access to vaccines and are a highly developed country with access to world class medical technology, it makes it even more shocking.
    But you know, like us, clever enough to be stupid.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865

A wee Sturgeon did it and shouldn’t be allowed to run away. However, the Scottish media will protect her as usual, in case she’s replaced by someone that actually wants independence.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

Not give, sell
    That's my point,

Germany is calming that it has to stop giving weapons to Ukraine because it has run out, and needs to keep the last few for herself, but when its offered money, some how then it finds weapons to give.

I'm pleased that Ukraine is getting some of the weapons it so badly needs right now, I just a little sad that they have not been donated, by Germany.
    Supermarket. Everybody wearing masks apart from two 30-ish year old men, so ~98% wearing.
    Farooq said:

Supermarket. Everybody wearing masks apart from two 30-ish year old men, so ~98% wearing.

I've started not to wear a mask. I guess you'd like me to? In which case I will.
    Omnium said:

Farooq said:

I've started not to wear a mask. I guess you'd like me to? In which case I will.
    One of the strange things about living in one place and spending lots of time in another is you notice the wide variation in the two.

Walk into a supermarket in Stroud not wearing a mask and they look at you like you've dropped out of a dog's arse.

Walk into a supermarket round here wearing one and they're on the phone saying a lunatic's escaped.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Farooq said:

I didn't know you were spending the weekend in Godalming.
    Omnium said:

Farooq said:

I don't really give a shit what you do.
    I just gave this info because I was a little surprised to see so many. It's been a while since I've seen that level of wearage.
    edited March 2022
    My elderly parents went for their 4th jabs today. They said place was empty. Be interesting to see if there is now bigger struggle to get people to get boosted again. I hope there hasn't been too much of a swing the other way to COVID isn't a danger to anybody.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    “For God’s sake, this man cannot remain in power,” Biden says of Putin — a quote that may be referenced for years to come.

NY Times
    Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

I just gave this info because I was a little surprised to see so many. It's been a while since I've seen that level of wearage.
    I was merely trying to work out if my not wearing a mask in the last couple of weeks might be a mistake.
    Farooq said:

This mask that does F all as proved by Scotland
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

One of the strange things about living in one place and spending lots of time in another is you notice the wide variation in the two.

Walk into a supermarket in Stroud not wearing a mask and they look at you like you've dropped out of a dog's arse.

Walk into a supermarket round here wearing one and they're on the phone saying a lunatic's escaped.
    To be fair, that's nothing to do with you wearing a mask....
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

If I'm close to a few or more people then I'll wear a mask. I'm really very happy to be urged to don a mask by anyone that wishes it too.
    Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

I was merely trying to work out if my not wearing a mask in the last couple of weeks might be a mistake.
    I genuinely don't know. I do not have any clue how effective masks are against Omicron.

Nigelb said:

What the hell will happen in China then? (Not that we will necessarily get the true picture of course.)

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

You think the pink clown hat coupled with the "Fuck all Pixies' t-shirt may have a bearing on matters?

Farooq said:

For the thousandth time, mask wearing rates can never explain the overall rates. Demographic and spatial factors are massively influential. If you try to predict outcomes from on variable in a complex system, it's like predicting football results based on shirt colour.

Nigelb said:

Though note “highest current” is not the same thing as “highest” overall. It’s not even close.
    https://twitter.com/twitskeptic/status/1507761370732765185
    edited March 2022

Nigelb said:

What the hell will happen in China then? (Not that we will necessarily get the true picture of course.)
    If Omicron wanted to do something useful, it would carry off Xi.

But that's as likely as TSE eating a pizza with pineapple on.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Walk into a supermarket round here wearing one and they're on the phone saying a lunatic's escaped...
    …from Stroud.
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

For the thousandth time, mask wearing rates can never explain the overall rates. Demographic and spatial factors are massively influential. If you try to predict outcomes from on variable in a complex system, it's like predicting football results based on shirt colour.
    so how are Scotland and England any different in them ? Masks do F all
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Though note “highest current” is not the same thing as “highest” overall. It’s not even close.
    https://twitter.com/twitskeptic/status/1507761370732765185
    Yes i know. But it really has got out of control there and I believe concerns as in Hong Kong not ideal levels of vaccinations among oldies.
    Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

I genuinely don't know. I do not have any clue how effective masks are against Omicron.
    But what would you like me to be doing? A thing merely of common courtesy. It's weird for all of us.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

You think the pink clown hat coupled with the "Fuck all Pixies' t-shirt may have a bearing on matters?
    Straight from lessons then?
  • UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 775
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

If Omicron wanted to do something useful, it would carry off Xi.

But that's as likely as TSE eating a pizza with pineapple on.
    Indeed, has Dura Ace's pool had a single fatality?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Love the comment on this photo. "I believe everything started at this moment"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOpfBh4VgAEbt7H?format=jpg&name=medium
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

so how are Scotland and England any different in them ? Masks do F all
    That's not what actual scientific studies on the matter show.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7106e1.htm
    Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

But what would you like me to be doing? A thing merely of common courtesy. It's weird for all of us.

I'll say it again in a less aggressive tone. I don't care what you do. I don't know whether masks work any more. I know that they did last year, but I've seen enough commentary about Omicron that doubts that to not know whether there's any point. And I honestly can't be bothered to dig into the literature.
    The guy tabulating combat equipment losses.
    The blacklog of destroyed Russian equipment is still the same as before. The volume of new materiel prevents me from starting on it.
    https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1507786441962758151
    edited March 2022
    I think the issue with Omicron, especially BA.2, is it is so infectious, unless you are going to live like a hermit wearing your FFP3 mask morning, noon and night few times you are not alone,.very difficult to escape being exposed.

Most transition of Omicon has been inter household, so if you kids they will bring it in etc.
This discussion has been closed.