Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Macron’s campaign gets knocked off course by the Corsican riots – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Leon said:

So now we’re calmly discussing whether the Russian president is about to drop The Bomb

2022 is great. And it’s still only March

If only it was the bomb.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    Leon said:

So now we’re calmly discussing whether the Russian president is about to drop The Bomb

That was a very calm post by you @leon under the circumstances. Are you mellowing?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Given that we’re all about to die in a nuclear apocalypse, it’s time to start thinking about what we’d eat for a last supper. I’ve been having the same chat in a couple of WhatsApp groups

Me: I’d have native British oysters from Scott’s (if in season)

Then maybe a kilo of wild caspian caviar off mother of pearl spoons

But what do you have for a main?

Maybe an insanely hot Singapore chicken laksa because you don’t have to worry about it hurting the next day
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

It’s quite interesting contrasting France and the UK very generally on regional identity and separatism.

Both countries are a larger version of their original cores through war/conquest or absorption.

In the UK the “absorbed/conquered” parts have kept very strong visible identities and different levels of their own independent decision making away from London which have evolved over time but still have strong cultural identities and differences.

The degrees are wide from Scotland, Wales and NI to Cornish or Yorkshire identity.

France however had been very good/very brutal at suppressing the identities of their equivalents with a long focus on being totally “French”.

So whilst areas such as Brittany, Savoie and Basque pockets have independence movements they aren’t very strong and probably mirror Cornish independence movements.

Areas that weren’t historically “France” that aren’t Brittany and Savoie such as Aquitaine and Gascony are very much brought into the whole French demos.

It’s understandable why Corsica is more of an outlier as was always treated slightly badly by France in a cultural sneer kind of way - Napoleon was mocked non stop at military school for being a Corsican, treated like an educated monkey.

I would be surprised if this was a larger issue for France but interesting to see how it pans out.

True, but didn't stop the French making him an emperor! And the "educated monkey" rewrote their constitution on his days off from conquering most of Europe.

Do the French still have that mocking attitude to Corsica?
    To be honest I’m not sure how modern French see Corsicans but at the time of Napoleon it was seen as very backwards and different - I would guess very much like how a lot of English viewed Ireland and the Irish at the same time. Interesting that Napoleon and Wellington were both from places that were looked down on by the people who worshipped them later!
    Hitler, Austria. Franco, Galicia. Stalin, Georgia. Thatcher, Grantham

It’s a known phenomenon. The outsider - usually middle or lower middle class - aspires to take over the metropole, and is more patriotic than the posher types in the capital

By contrast, religious or nihilistic revolutionaries tend to come from the upper middle or upper classes. Buddha. Bin Laden. Muhammad. Corbyn

Che Guevara (in the second list)
    Where does Jesus fit in?
    depends if Joseph was a carpenter carpenter or a Lord Linley carpenter. Could be the latter if "Born of David's line" is right in the carol.
    That’s an amazing and inspired post Z. Did the machine elves tell you to say it?

Were a lot of Jesus relatives royalty. His uncle/mentor a sectarian leader on the governing council.
  • Options

BBC forced to admit there is 'absolutely no evidence' Corbyn is or was an antisemite.

Ian Austin/Telegraph forced into a humiliating and very expensive public apology about Labour staffer Laura Murray.

Looks like the tide's finally turning.

PB leaves itself open to action by allowing Posters such as Heathener to continue to call Corbyn an Anti Semite

Corbyn isn't an active anti-semite. But for decades he has associated himself with and shared platforms with people who are. And attracted in a whole slew of entryist members who spewed out so many AS tropes that the party had to publish a "how not to be an anti-semite" guide which CLPs were mandated to offer as training to members.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

BBC forced to admit there is 'absolutely no evidence' Corbyn is or was an antisemite.

Ian Austin/Telegraph forced into a humiliating and very expensive public apology about Labour staffer Laura Murray.

PB leaves itself open to action by allowing Posters such as Heathener to continue to call Corbyn an Anti Semite

You mean Corbyn the anti-Semite?

That Corbyn?

The self-proclaimed anti-racist who gets himself so confused by what racism is?

That Corbyn?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Britain was on the cusp of signing a near identical deal for the release of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe & Anoosheh Ashoori last Summer

But it was blocked by the US because it wanted the deal to include Morad Tahbaz

Iran refused

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-on-way-to-tehran-airport-tc90f2lkn

Always the US lapdog
    Morad Tahbaz holds dual British and American citizenship. He lives mostly in the US, which is why the US State Dept. was making the case for him.

He was released as part of this deal.
    Which has nothing to do with the substantive issue, which is that the British Government is not operating an independent foreign policy.
    You mean having a foreign policy which it coordinates with others?

Yes, that is crazy. That kind of thinking leads to signing treaties with other countries about trade, immigration, common standards.....

There was a big discussion about this recently. Can't remember the exact topic.
    The word 'coordinating' is doing a great deal of heavy lifting in that sentence, and you know it. The fact is that Ratcliffe has languished in Iran for 6 extra months because the British Government was forbidden by a foreign Government from buying the freedom of a British subject. The US would not have dreamed of 'coordinating' their foreign policy with us in this manner. That should make us all deeply troubled and not a little ashamed. But it will be ignored, because it's too uncomfortable.
    "Forbidden" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence - the UK government could have put the cash on a plane and ignored what the US government said.
    All control, unless it's physical imprisonment, contains an element of consent. They told us not to do something; we obeyed without a murmur.

Anyway, meh, it's zero surprise to me. And will no doubt be politely ignored by the PB commentariat who find it much more comfortable to rage on about Russia demanding control over its neighbours and how unacceptable that is, and how we must send more weapons.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Seriously, Putin leaving Moscow for a distant and disguised destination, after last night's rant, is very, very frightening.

dunno what to do about it, but if you want to sellotape brown paper over the windows there has never been a better time.

It’s probably a feint but it’s still disturbing. If it’s not a feint…

😶
    I had a nightmare dream last night that I was a junior officer on a Trident submarine during the nuclear war. After letting all our stuff off over Moscow, we were heading back to an obliterated UK to see if we could find our wives and girlfriends. It was bleak stuff.

I think this may all be getting to me.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Given that we’re all about to die in a nuclear apocalypse, it’s time to start thinking about what we’d eat for a last supper. I’ve been having the same chat in a couple of WhatsApp groups

Maybe an insanely hot Singapore chicken laksa because you don’t have to worry about it hurting the next day

A fillet steak of course. A whole one, barely cooked at all, and washed down with that 1962 Chateau Lafite you were saving for the right occasion.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Don't worry! He isn't going to drop the bomb. He has just acquired P&O Ferries and once the registration moves across (to a front company in BVI) a series of friendly-looking black vans will be parked on them in the corner of the car deck, with friendly new stewards with buzzcuts scars and interesting accents to look after passengers on their new wherever they are to London route.
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Seriously, Putin leaving Moscow for a distant and disguised destination, after last night's rant, is very, very frightening.

dunno what to do about it, but if you want to sellotape brown paper over the windows there has never been a better time.

😶
    I had a nightmare dream last night that I was a junior officer on a Trident submarine during the nuclear war. After letting all our stuff off over Moscow, we were heading back to an obliterated UK to see if we could find our wives and girlfriends. It was bleak stuff.

I have several friends and fam who appear to be going quite mad, as we hurtle towards the abyss

So you are not alone, if that’s any consolation
  • Options
    Leon said:

My appetite would be eliminated due to the gargantuan amount of class As I would be ingesting.
  • Options
    Leon said:

How would you know when to have this last supper? Will Whoops Apocalypse be scheduled, just like the huuuuuge lump of rock strike was in Don't Look Up?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

😶
    Don't faint!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?
    The fact this site allows you to say that and you are prepared to say it is yours and its problem not mine.

I know Tim has been contacted by Jezzas lawyers for comments on Twitter your turn may come
  • Options
    This'll sort out the RU military command and control mess, that's for sure:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    6m
    Over 40,000 Syrians have registered to travel to Ukraine and fight for Russia, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

I've seen the Austin/Murray story but where's that about Corbyn on the BBC?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

A fillet steak of course. A whole one, barely cooked at all, and washed down with that 1962 Chateau Lafite you were saving for the right occasion.
    Rib eye, always rib eye.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

I found yesterday quite cathartic bizarrely. Why? Well I am clearly not a fan of Thatcher, but I found myself defending her from @HYUFD mad demonic catagorisation of her. This was a new and refreshing experience for me. The more I thought about it the more I thought about the fact that (with the exception of Tebbit) the Thatcher Govt was made up of grown ups regardless of what I thought of their policies. Made me feel much happier.

No doubt my bubble will be burst by examples of idiots from that era, but currently I'm very relaxed in my view.

Tebbit was tough and had guts, so no wonder you were not a fan
    Oh you want to carry on do you, even though it ruined your evening?

As pointed out by others your last post last night must have been the most ironic statement ever made in history. It was mindbogglingly you have so little self awareness.
    It was the truth and if it annoyed you tough
    What you posted about Vulcans plural being on the Falklands and available to bomb Argentina was laughable, demonstrable bollocks. See the image posted upthread as to the herculean efforts to get a single Vulcan over - not on - the Falklands to bomb the runway.

"It was the truth". Are you really this self-inflated?
    There were plenty of bombing raids launched by Vulcans on the Argentines in the War.
    https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/artefact-month/raf-vulcan-black-buck-missions-thirty-years-ago

We also had Sea Darts and Sea Wolfs to defend our ships going over there.

It was a war of self defence after British territory was invaded, all armour potentially could have been used against the Argentines which they should have known when they invaded.

We also of course had submarines with missiles which could have been parked off the Argentine coast until they withdrew. That is war
    "Plenty" = 5 in HYUFDmathics.

Of which one raid missed completely, one almost missed (one crater on the runway), one failed and had to divert to Brazil and was out of the war, and one wasn't a bombing raid at all but a SEAD anti-radar missile attack.

Given the number of aircraft, including tankers, involved, and the near shaves at times, I'm still surprised all the crews survived.

One of the Vulcans is at the National Museum of Flight about 20mi E of Edinburgh BTW.
  • Options

Corbyn isn't an active anti-semite. But for decades he has associated himself with and shared platforms with people who are. And attracted in a whole slew of entryist members who spewed out so many AS tropes that the party had to publish a "how not to be an anti-semite" guide which CLPs were mandated to offer as training to members.
    I used to call him an 'passive anti-Semite', on here. Then something happened (I cannot remember which event it was. and I went from passive to full-on active in my mind. Nothing I have seen since dissuades me from that view.

He surrounds himself with fools and nasty scum who do the attack work for him. I'm unsure if this is because he's a bit of a genius or a fool that attracts such people.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive:

Britain was on the cusp of signing a near identical deal for the release of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe & Anoosheh Ashoori last Summer

But it was blocked by the US because it wanted the deal to include Morad Tahbaz

Iran refused

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-on-way-to-tehran-airport-tc90f2lkn

Always the US lapdog
    Morad Tahbaz holds dual British and American citizenship. He lives mostly in the US, which is why the US State Dept. was making the case for him.

He was released as part of this deal.
    Which has nothing to do with the substantive issue, which is that the British Government is not operating an independent foreign policy.
    You mean having a foreign policy which it coordinates with others?

Yes, that is crazy. That kind of thinking leads to signing treaties with other countries about trade, immigration, common standards.....

There was a big discussion about this recently. Can't remember the exact topic.
    The word 'coordinating' is doing a great deal of heavy lifting in that sentence, and you know it. The fact is that Ratcliffe has languished in Iran for 6 extra months because the British Government was forbidden by a foreign Government from buying the freedom of a British subject. The US would not have dreamed of 'coordinating' their foreign policy with us in this manner. That should make us all deeply troubled and not a little ashamed. But it will be ignored, because it's too uncomfortable.
    "Forbidden" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence - the UK government could have put the cash on a plane and ignored what the US government said.
    All control, unless it's physical imprisonment, contains an element of consent. They told us not to do something; we obeyed without a murmur.

Anyway, meh, it's zero surprise to me. And will no doubt be politely ignored by the PB commentariat who find it much more comfortable to rage on about Russia demanding control over its neighbours and how unacceptable that is, and how we must send more weapons.
    And on and on it goes - until we have the actual correspondence between the FO and State Dept we won't actually know what was said, who complained, who made a final decision etc.

All we know for sure is that Morad Tahbaz was released as part of this exchange.

Which may or may not have involved more than just the UK releasing the Iranian cash.
  • Options
    RSD72 landing in Novosibirsk. Looks like they’ll all be meeting remotely for the foreseeable future.

Interestingly, an RSD78 just left there, heading for Moscow.

RSD75 is heading into deepest, darkest Siberia.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

It’s quite interesting contrasting France and the UK very generally on regional identity and separatism.

Both countries are a larger version of their original cores through war/conquest or absorption.

In the UK the “absorbed/conquered” parts have kept very strong visible identities and different levels of their own independent decision making away from London which have evolved over time but still have strong cultural identities and differences.

The degrees are wide from Scotland, Wales and NI to Cornish or Yorkshire identity.

France however had been very good/very brutal at suppressing the identities of their equivalents with a long focus on being totally “French”.

So whilst areas such as Brittany, Savoie and Basque pockets have independence movements they aren’t very strong and probably mirror Cornish independence movements.

Areas that weren’t historically “France” that aren’t Brittany and Savoie such as Aquitaine and Gascony are very much brought into the whole French demos.

It’s understandable why Corsica is more of an outlier as was always treated slightly badly by France in a cultural sneer kind of way - Napoleon was mocked non stop at military school for being a Corsican, treated like an educated monkey.

I would be surprised if this was a larger issue for France but interesting to see how it pans out.

True, but didn't stop the French making him an emperor! And the "educated monkey" rewrote their constitution on his days off from conquering most of Europe.

To be honest I’m not sure how modern French see Corsicans but at the time of Napoleon it was seen as very backwards and different - I would guess very much like how a lot of English viewed Ireland and the Irish at the same time. Interesting that Napoleon and Wellington were both from places that were looked down on by the people who worshipped them later!

It’s a known phenomenon. The outsider - usually middle or lower middle class - aspires to take over the metropole, and is more patriotic than the posher types in the capital

By contrast, religious or nihilistic revolutionaries tend to come from the upper middle or upper classes. Buddha. Bin Laden. Muhammad. Corbyn

Where does Jesus fit in?
    depends if Joseph was a carpenter carpenter or a Lord Linley carpenter. Could be the latter if "Born of David's line" is right in the carol.
    That’s an amazing and inspired post Z. Did the machine elves tell you to say it?

Were a lot of Jesus relatives royalty. His uncle/mentor a sectarian leader on the governing council.
    i have yet to meet a machine elf, but watch this space - just ordered some mimosa root bark and the chemicals to extract the DMT from it

To you in David's Town this day
    Is born of David's line
    The Savior who is Christ the Lord
    And this shall be the sign

It turns out this is pure Luke, *except* the David's line bit which comes from Matthew. make of that what you will.

there is a nutter archaeologist who has identified jesus' house in Nazareth. The only evidence, other than the date being about right, being that the house is well built, and obv a carpenter would build a good (stone) house.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Leon said:

My appetite would be eliminated due to the gargantuan amount of class As I would be ingesting.
    What is really disturbing is that of SE England only Jaywick and Margate would survive. Probably.

Although at least there'd be one decent art gallery!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

At worst Putin might be planning to drop a tactical nuclear bomb in Ukraine, I doubt we are at WW3 yet. Though obviously that means even tighter sanctions on Russia.

However I still doubt he even considers doing that unless Ukraine clearly persists with attempts to join NATO and the EU and refuses to recognise the independence of Donetsk and Lugansk and Russian forces still fail to make much progress towards Kyiv

• Options
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

😶

I've had a recurrence of a short, sharp nightmare that I've not experienced since the early 80s.

Waking up in a dark room, only the the tiny red lights of electronics visible (probably my old stereo in them days), then these tiny lights suddenly expand into a blinding white light and I shout 'Oh shi...'.

Then actually wake, sweating.
  • Options

Leon said:

A good point well made

Nonetheless I’d still have the world class meal first, after vigorous sex. The drugs would arrive with the pudding (a tiramisu from the Caffe Gambrinus in Naples)
  • Options

Leon said:

How would you know when to have this last supper? Will Whoops Apocalypse be scheduled, just like the huuuuuge lump of rock strike was in Don't Look Up?
    This whole war has everything scheduled as per in the programme. The Americans said it will kick off 4am with introductory missiles and canapés and it did.
    Shocking proof reading on my copy of the souvenir programme, page 14 Joe Bidet, and in the meet the boss profile president puking.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

What is really disturbing is that of SE England only Jaywick and Margate would survive. Probably.

Although at least there'd be one decent art gallery!
    Brexit would definitely be permanent then
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

i have yet to meet a machine elf, but watch this space - just ordered some mimosa root bark and the chemicals to extract the DMT from it

Is born of David's line

It turns out this is pure Luke, *except* the David's line bit which comes from Matthew. make of that what you will.

there is a nutter archaeologist who has identified jesus' house in Nazareth. The only evidence, other than the date being about right, being that the house is well built, and obv a carpenter would build a good (stone) house.
    Do a deal with a stonemason? Mason builds two houses, carpenter builds two lots of fittings?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

A good point well made

Nonetheless I’d still have the world class meal first, after vigorous sex. The drugs would arrive with the pudding (a tiramisu from the Caffe Gambrinus in Naples)
    Down to the last 40g dry of last year's Dartmoor harvest here. Best taken all at once to be on the safe side.
  • Options

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?
    The fact this site allows you to say that and you are prepared to say it is yours and its problem not mine.

I know Tim has been contacted by Jezzas lawyers for comments on Twitter your turn may come
    Why do you feel the need to defend Corbyn so much? Surely you can see *why* people might think it, even if you disagree? But why are you so vehement in your defence of him? What do you get out of it?

And BTW, don't threaten me. If Jezza wants to come after a non-entity like me, then he's little more than a bully. I wonder if he'll use crowd-funded lawyers to do it...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

In an apology for what a Tory Donor John Caudwell had said in an interview a few weeks ago

"The BBC would like to make it clear that there is absolutely no evidence that the leader of the Labour Party at that time [in 2019], Jeremy Corbyn, was or is antisemitic."
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

Do a deal with a stonemason? Mason builds two houses, carpenter builds two lots of fittings?
    You have convinced me

Only just occurred to me that he died on a (wooden) cross. No doubt there's acres of theology about this.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited March 2022
    France, Elabe poll:

Macron (LREM-RE): 31% (-2.5)
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 18% (+3)
    Mélenchon (LFI-LEFT): 14% (+1)
    Pécresse (LR-EPP): 11.5% (+1)
    Zemmour (REC-NI): 10.5% (-0.5)

+/- vs. 7-8 March 2022

Fieldwork: 14-15 March 2022
    Sample size: ~1,500

I think 14% is the highest poll for Melenchon but this is mainly consolidation for Le Pen. Still solid enough for Macron as well even if he has peaked in terms of the first round.
  • Options

I used to call him an 'passive anti-Semite', on here. Then something happened (I cannot remember which event it was. and I went from passive to full-on active in my mind. Nothing I have seen since dissuades me from that view.

He surrounds himself with fools and nasty scum who do the attack work for him. I'm unsure if this is because he's a bit of a genius or a fool that attracts such people.
    He is demonstrably a passive anti-semite. Happy to repeatedly share a stand with people who want to genocidally sweep Israel off the map. Happy to associate himself with a crank movement where people post AS tropes and then shriek in protest when you point out that they are being anti-semitic.

He could have called it out, but never has. Could tell people that what they post and say and represent is unacceptable, but never does. As for "he will come after you on Twitter", no he won't. Does he really want to go to the High Court and have a QC throw decades of his support for global anti-semites thrown at him?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Sandpit said:

RSD72 landing in Novosibirsk. Looks like they’ll all be meeting remotely for the foreseeable future.

People were saying that a coup would be very difficult because of the 20,000 troops stationed around Moscow in the special Presidential army (not the army).

If you were a coup plotter then convincing Putin to leave Moscow for Siberia might be a necessary prelude for a coup. So might not be nuclear war after all.

Sounds a bit like all the UK crew at P&O are about to lose their jobs.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Sandpit said:

All assuming the transponders are attached to the aircraft they are supposed to be attached too...
  • Options

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

Why do you feel the need to defend Corbyn so much? Surely you can see *why* people might think it, even if you disagree? But why are you so vehement in your defence of him? What do you get out of it?

And BTW, don't threaten me. If Jezza wants to come after a non-entity like me, then he's little more than a bully. I wonder if he'll use crowd-funded lawyers to do it...
    You are opening yourself to legal action as is this site
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

At worst Putin might be planning to drop a tactical nuclear bomb in Ukraine, I doubt we are at WW3 yet. Though obviously that means even tighter sanctions on Russia.

However I still doubt he even considers doing that unless Ukraine clearly persists with attempts to join NATO and the EU and refuses to recognise the independence of Donetsk and Lugansk and Russian forces still fail to make much progress towards Kyiv

From now on I am going to call this “A @HYUFD REASSURANCE”

A statement which is meant to console and calm you, but which does no such thing. EG

“At worst Putin might be planning to drop a tactical nuclear bomb”

"Though obviously that means even tighter sanctions on Russia" - I'd like to think this is the final reveal (for those who haven't got it yet) that HYUFD is in fact a master of deadpan humour rather than someone who seems to have completely lost the plot.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

St Nicola: "'NATO and the democratic world shouldn't be writing Putin blank cheques'

Well, that's them telt.

https://twitter.com/ITVBorderRB/status/1504094294080208896

Only Nicola should get blank cheques, written by London...
    That’s what you Unionists keep on voting for, I just can’t work out why you seem so unhappy with the result.
    We like pointing out what ungrateful bastards you are....
    Sounds like an abusive relationship to me..

‘You’re nothing, without me you’d be on the streets you ungrateful bitch.’

Let’s just call it a day and we can all move on.
    You were working as a teuchtar in a Highland bog
    When I met you
    I crushed your face into the peat
    And took you out of the EU

I’d say teuchter is more correct but am open to opinions on it.
    you seem to be right. Plus it's more a Scot-on-Scot insult than a "unionist" one.
    Teuchter is the correct form, at least in Scots and English, and it does look like a Gaelic -air ending, cf. saighdair 'soldier', although what it means is unclear on checking. It is very much an insult along the lines of "country bumpkin" used by Central Belt types esp Glaswegians of Highlands and Islands Gaelic-speakers. I would never use it myself.

https://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/teuchter
  • Options
    How do you manage to lose money delivering food during a pandemic?

Deliveroo just posted a £300m loss last year, from revenues of £1.8bn.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/business/2022/03/17/deliveroo-losses-rise-to-298m-despite-pandemic-boost/
  • Options

Sandpit said:

People were saying that a coup would be very difficult because of the 20,000 troops stationed around Moscow in the special Presidential army (not the army).

If you were a coup plotter then convincing Putin to leave Moscow for Siberia might be a necessary prelude for a coup. So might not be nuclear war after all.

Historically, the Praetorian Guards are the *danger* to the current...... er.... Emperor. Not his best protector.

Hence my suggestion yesterday that we float a Ltd company to engage in a hostile takeover. Of the Russian state.

Just ned to make sure we actually pay the money.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didius_Julianus#Career_as_Emperor
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yes. OTOH there is exactly one plausible reason for Putin agreeing to go to Siberia, which is that Moscow is 24 hours away from a retaliatory strike. and the launch chain of command is I believe within the Presidential not regular army. Testing times.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

You have convinced me

Only just occurred to me that he died on a (wooden) cross. No doubt there's acres of theology about this.
    There are people about who will tell you that he didn't. Although could have been catalepsy!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

You have convinced me

Would hardly be GRP at that time. Metal would be too expensive. And a stone cross wouldn't work, ditto a pottery one.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Sandpit said:

All assuming the transponders are attached to the aircraft they are supposed to be attached too...
    Yes. That suggests it is a feint, meant to alarm us. Why would you ADVERTISE the fact you’re about to drop a nuke - by fleeing to a bunker?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

A good point well made

I like the way you imagine the whole world would continue on at your service, despite the impending apocalypse.
    That seems a bit unlikely - wouldn't everyone be after their own last things ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

Yes. That suggests it is a feint, meant to alarm us. Why would you ADVERTISE the fact you’re about to drop a nuke - by fleeing to a bunker?
    Unless someone is not entirely rational?
  • Options

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

Can you answer my questions please?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Leon said:

Fresh porcini mushrooms fried in garlic and butter. Putin would have to hold off Apocalypse until the autumn.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    Thread on nuclear deterrence...

Last week, I read critiques of my position on Putin’s rationality and possibility of nuclear war. Many are not realist enough about the nuclear threat or the right response.
    I argue in this thread that if we “blink” on Putin’s nuclear threat, we will increase the risk of WWIII.

https://twitter.com/andreivkozyrev/status/1503404009142423558
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

https://www.thenationalnews.com/business/2022/03/17/deliveroo-losses-rise-to-298m-despite-pandemic-boost/

Have a pile of shit IT systems that don't really work - or talk to each other properly. This requires an enormous and expensive back office operation to keep running.

Also charge less than the economic rate to try and grab business, despite serving over the delivery people & food providers as much as possible.

I believe it was pointed out that most of the food delivery setups are a losing proposition at the moment. Supermarkets with a member of staff wandering around the shelves, like a shopper? Really?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

😶

The real horror was mastering the completely silent wanking and having everything you eat taste of WD40.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647

kinabalu said:

In an apology for what a Tory Donor John Caudwell had said in an interview a few weeks ago

"The BBC would like to make it clear that there is absolutely no evidence that the leader of the Labour Party at that time [in 2019], Jeremy Corbyn, was or is antisemitic."
    Link? BBC or a BBC presenter?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Foss said:

Sandpit said:

You've seen Con Air, haven't you?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

I’ve never seen a machine elf too even though been so out my head on alcohol I have slept in a hedge on the Lane home back in Yorkshire. Woken up by young school kids poking me with a stick thinking they found a dead body. Wake of shame 🙄

One of the PB psychedelicos (probably you) posted a link a few weeks back, apparently they have heads like dribbling footballs. The machine elves not the PB shroomers.

Maybe inherited good stone house? Cross refference to the original cult followers of Jesus before Christianity, who wrote Dead Sea scrolls what do they say about Jesus being royal type of carpenter?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

I suspect that, were the apocalypse to come, rather than fine dining, dugs or vigorous sex, many PBers would take the opportunity to have a final game of Wordle before their last gasp.
  • Options

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

OK you win. Let's go with benignly tolerant of antisemitism. A broad church kinda guy. And what could possibly be wrong with that?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,175
    From ITV:

NEW: Understand that all sailing staff at P&O Ferries have been made redundant with immediate effect.

The company will use an agency to keep their ferries running and current staff will be able to apply to the agency for work.
  • Options

Leon said:

I suspect that, were the apocalypse to come, rather than fine dining many PBers would take the opportunity to have a final game of Wordle before their last gasp.
    Or a final hour arguing about Radiohead and pineapple flavoured AV on the forum.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

Good man...

The theme for today - https://clip.cafe/con-air-1997/on-any-other-day/
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Have a pile of shit IT systems that don't really work - or talk to each other properly. This requires an enormous and expensive back office operation to keep running.

Also charge less than the economic rate to try and grab business, despite serving over the delivery people & food providers as much as possible.

I believe it was pointed out that most of the food delivery setups are a losing proposition at the moment. Supermarkets with a member of staff wandering around the shelves, like a shopper? Really?
    Oh indeed, they’re all losing bucketloads of cash trying to win market share - in a market that makes no financial sense whatsoever, and can never do so while there are humans in the loop who need to be paid a minimum wage.

There’s very few economies of scale either, so your cost for 2x transactions is damn near double your cost for x transactions.

It’s like Uber on steroids, they’re all hoping they’ll be the one left standing as the robots take over - but in the meantime it costs billions to do the work with humans.
  • Options

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

I have to wonder if BJO understands the law when it comes to defamation...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited March 2022

Sandpit said:

The FSO is the bodyguard, the real issue is the National Guard which has over 300,000 personnel. The National Guard was formed in 2016 and took the paramilitary forces from the Interior Ministry. It answers directly to the Security Council of Russia, which is basically Putin and his closest people. Even at the time of its formation commentators thought that the move looked ominous, as though the Kremlin was preparing to see off internal threats.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

You have convinced me

Would hardly be GRP at that time. Metal would be too expensive. And a stone cross wouldn't work, ditto a pottery one.
    My understanding was that Jesus of Nazareth was something close to what we would regard as aristocracy (which aligns to the descendant of David) , which would make sense, seeing as he was seen to be a leader at a relatively young age. The "carpenter" thing was almost certainly nonsense. I have read somewhere that it was a mistranslation relating to Joseph's profession, which may have had something to do with construction. Possibly similar to suggesting that Lord McAlpine was a road digger.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

He also has not heard of the Streisand Effect...

I mean, no-one was discussing Corbyn or anti-Semitism, and then he comes along and BANG! it's being discussed.

I bet BJO is away somewhere this moment, writing an email dobbing me into someone or other. I really hope he isn't, but that's what he made it sound like...
  • Options

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

It’s only libel if it’s untrue?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    Leon said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

Of course Putin would want to convince everyone that he is willing use a nuclear bomb before actually using one. The danger is that at some point the only way he can convince everyone that he really is willing to use nukes is to actually use one.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Oh indeed, they’re all losing bucketloads of cash trying to win market share - in a market that makes no financial sense whatsoever, and can never do so while there are humans in the loop who need to be paid a minimum wage.

There’s very few economies of scale either, so your cost for 2x transactions is damn near double your cost for x transactions.

It’s like Uber on steroids, they’re all hoping they’ll be the one left standing as the robots take over - but in the meantime it costs billions to do the work with humans.
    I think something could be done with a tightly integrated platform that was run by people with arse-elbow differentiation skills.

But, as you say it is all about being the last man standing.

On the supermarket side, I think that a tightly integrated setup, using warehouses only (no shops) should be able to make a profit on home delivery.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

From ITV:

NEW: Understand that all sailing staff at P&O Ferries have been made redundant with immediate effect.

The company will use an agency to keep their ferries running and current staff will be able to apply to the agency for work.

AKA fire the staff and re-hire at massively lower wages.

Is someone at P&O on the British Airways board?
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Ukraine release that they killed a Russian General because he was talking on an unsecured phone line:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60767664

It's odd that they said how they got him because they could get more generals this way. Perhaps they have calculated that the Russians communications are so shit, that they have no choice but to use such lines, so by releasing the news, they scare them off using them and impair their comms completely.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

This kind of delivered operation only works if it has scale. So yes, they are all making a loss now hoping the competition folds / withdraws as consumers adopt it more regularly and thus give them a viable scale.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

😶

The real horror was mastering the completely silent wanking and having everything you eat taste of WD40.
    I'd imagine the real, real horror would be developing a taste for both.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    tlg86 said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

A guilty pleasure :)
  • Options
    NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    1h
    Another intercepted conversation of the #SBU shows how demoralized and broken the invader army is: #Russian occupiers look for "#Ukrainian ammunition" to shoot themselves in the legs and go to the hospital.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1504393807198138383
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sounds right. It's the business plan.

Basically you buy market share with huge amounts of marketing. You do an IPO or whatever, the original shareholders get out at the top of the market and the next lot will cut back the marketing to try to get some profits (there may be a couple of iterations before the putative consolidation).

This is the same gameplan followed by Just Eat, Uber etc. They are just middlemen; customers don't have any brand loyalty to them, so those customers have to be bought.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Sandpit said:

By not charging enough to cover your costs in the hope that your competitors run out of capital first and you can establish yourself as a monopoly provider and charge a monopoly rent.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Morning all.

Ok dear. One would hope that the New Napoleon would understand Corsica.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I think something could be done with a tightly integrated platform that was run by people with arse-elbow differentiation skills.

But, as you say it is all about being the last man standing.

On the supermarket side, I think that a tightly integrated setup, using warehouses only (no shops) should be able to make a profit on home delivery.
    …when launching with a fully developed and tested product, in a physically tiny but densely populated city, with sufficient parking, where buildings have enough lifts and no security.
  • Options
    So is this - right here, right now - the closest we’ve been to nuclear apocalypse since Cuba in ‘63? I think so
  • Options

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

It’s only libel if it’s untrue?
    4 defences:
    Truth
    Honest Opinion:
    Public Interest
    Privilege

You can argue that Truth is difficult to prove, and there isn't a PI angle any more. But Honest Opinion? There is reams of photos and videos to back up that defence. Imagine a libel action brought by the Jeremy. Having to argue that the photo of him marching behind an anti-semitic banner proves nothing etc etc etc...
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    edited March 2022

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

I hope Corbyn does sue, mainly because I would like to see him try and wriggle out of the things he has said in a court of law. As it would be a civil case he will probably have a great deal of difficulty because his "guilt" (if he is guilty of afore said anti-Semitism) will only need to be demonstrated on the balance of the evidence, not beyond reasonable doubt.

For more detail on whether he is or isn't, here is some uncomfortable reading for his apologists. If said apologists are anti-Semites they can dismiss it as Jewish/Zionist conspiracy :

https://www.timesofisrael.com/document-lists-9-instances-of-anti-semitism-by-corbyn-among-thousands-in-labour/
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    To paraphrase Grandad in Only Fools and Horses: 'Putin may be a psychopath, but he'd have to be bloody mad to fire off nukes!'.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

OK you win. Let's go with benignly tolerant of antisemitism. A broad church kinda guy. And what could possibly be wrong with that?
    Wrongly accusing someone of vile Antisemitism has costs as Austin and the Telegraph have found out. Falsely accusing Corbyn of this or being a terrorist sympathiser or a foreign agent have resulted in apologies and substantial damages too.

The BBC lawyers have recently clearly made a decision it can no longer allow such comment

Most importantly false accusation does a massive disservice to fighting actual Antisemitism.

I would like to see people making false accusations punished for that reason
  • Options
    Leon said:

So is this - right here, right now - the closest we’ve been to nuclear apocalypse since Cuba in ‘63? I think so

It's the closest we've known we've been.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/26/17905796/nuclear-war-1983-stanislav-petrov-soviet-union
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Leon said:

1983 surely...
  • Options

Leon said:

I suspect that, were the apocalypse to come, rather than fine dining, dugs or vigorous sex, many PBers would take the opportunity to have a final game of Wordle before their last gasp.
    Wordle 271 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me ages. good word.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    The Russian Rossiya Special Flight fleet mystery thickens - most are now heading back to Moscow - one approached Novosibirsk then did not land but is heading back - and one, the 4 engined IL-86 (the Presidential aircraft?) keeps heading north - over the pole somewhere?
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

The Russian Rossiya Special Flight fleet mystery thickens - most are now heading back to Moscow - one approached Novosibirsk then did not land but is heading back - and one, the 4 engined IL-86 (the Presidential aircraft?) keeps heading north - over the pole somewhere?

Probably realised they left the gas on...
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

Wrongly accusing someone of vile Antisemitism has costs as Austin and the Telegraph have found out. Falsely accusing Corbyn of this or being a terrorist sympathiser or a foreign agent have resulted in apologies and substantial damages too.

The BBC lawyers have recently clearly made a decision it can no longer allow such comment

Most importantly false accusation does a massive disservice to fighting actual Antisemitism.

When has Corbyn actually fought anti-Semitism?
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    kamski said:

Leon said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

Of course Putin would want to convince everyone that he is willing use a nuclear bomb before actually using one. The danger is that at some point the only way he can convince everyone that he really is willing to use nukes is to actually use one.
    I think the real danger for Putin here is how often coups happen when El Presidente is out of town.
  • Options

A dummy? A coup? WTF?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Morning all.

Ok dear. One would hope that the New Napoleon would understand Corsica.

I had rather hoped to walk GR20 before the whole shithouse went up in flames, too.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

By not charging enough to cover your costs in the hope that your competitors run out of capital first and you can establish yourself as a monopoly provider and charge a monopoly rent.
    Correct. Although there isn't a permanent monopoly in this business. You only have one for as long you outspend every one else on your marketing. You need to time your exit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

No! We've done this before. PVO Strany computers shrieking a warning that inbound US missiles were in flight in 1983, and the errant Norwegian weather rocket in 1995 were far worse than this.

Had Petrov not broken orders and risked jail to ignore the computer, Andropov would have had no choice but to order a counterforce strike. Which NATO would have read as surprise first strike, launched their own response and thats the end of things.

Had Yeltsin not stopped having had his ID validated by the nuclear briefcase and proceeded with protocol to launch a counterforce strike that also would have been it.

So this is some way off that level of risk.
  • Options

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

I hope Corbyn does sue, mainly because I would like to see him try and wriggle out of the things he has said in a court of law. As it would be a civil case he will probably have a great deal of difficulty because his "guilt" (if he is guilty of afore said anti-Semitism) will only need to be demonstrated on the balance of the evidence, not beyond reasonable doubt.

For more detail on whether he is or isn't, here is some uncomfortable reading for his apologists. If said apologists are anti-Semites they can dismiss it as Jewish/Zionist conspiracy :

https://www.timesofisrael.com/document-lists-9-instances-of-anti-semitism-by-corbyn-among-thousands-in-labour/
    I suggest Corbyn's troubles on this front are because he's tried to be all things to all men (and women, natch). Could be got away with as an eccentric back bench MP. Not, though, if a Party Leader.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

A guilty pleasure :)
    The script does consist of a list of one-liners, and has a cast of good actors having fun chewing the scenery.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

Corbyn hates Russia, loathes Jew haters and is a patriot to the core. Anyone thinks different, I shall have to ask them to step outside.
This discussion has been closed.