Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Macron’s campaign gets knocked off course by the Corsican riots – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,929

Sandpit said:

How do you manage to lose money delivering food during a pandemic?

Deliveroo just posted a £300m loss last year, from revenues of £1.8bn.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/business/2022/03/17/deliveroo-losses-rise-to-298m-despite-pandemic-boost/

By not charging enough to cover your costs in the hope that your competitors run out of capital first and you can establish yourself as a monopoly provider and charge a monopoly rent.
    Indeed, but the guy left with the monopoly isn’t going to be able to charge monopoly rents, because the demand is massively price elastic. Who’ll pay £10 for 4 pints of milk and a couple of packs of crisps, from a shop two minutes’ walk from their house?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,528

To paraphrase Grandad in Only Fools and Horses: 'Putin may be a psychopath, but he'd have to be bloody mad to fire off nukes!'.

Baby O: What's wrong with him?
    Cameron Poe: My first thought would be... a lot.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    Please stop spamming the spam button. It's only to be used for actual spam.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

The Russian Rossiya Special Flight fleet mystery thickens - most are now heading back to Moscow - one approached Novosibirsk then did not land but is heading back - and one, the 4 engined IL-86 (the Presidential aircraft?) keeps heading north - over the pole somewhere?

Did any of them land? I wonder if someone was getting a message hand delivered?

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

tlg86 said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

RSD72 landing in Novosibirsk. Looks like they’ll all be meeting remotely for the foreseeable future.

Interestingly, an RSD78 just left there, heading for Moscow.

RSD75 is heading into deepest, darkest Siberia.

All assuming the transponders are attached to the aircraft they are supposed to be attached too...
    You've seen Con Air, haven't you?
    A guilty pleasure :)
    i've always admired your work.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,109
    Aslan said:

Ukraine release that they killed a Russian General because he was talking on an unsecured phone line:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60767664

It's odd that they said how they got him because they could get more generals this way. Perhaps they have calculated that the Russians communications are so shit, that they have no choice but to use such lines, so by releasing the news, they scare them off using them and impair their comms completely.

There was a story last week that the Russian secure phones rely on 3G/4G cell towers, which they destroyed early on in the invasion...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Given that we’re all about to die in a nuclear apocalypse, it’s time to start thinking about what we’d eat for a last supper. I’ve been having the same chat in a couple of WhatsApp groups

Me: I’d have native British oysters from Scott’s (if in season)

Then maybe a kilo of wild caspian caviar off mother of pearl spoons

But what do you have for a main?

Maybe an insanely hot Singapore chicken laksa because you don’t have to worry about it hurting the next day

I suspect that, were the apocalypse to come, rather than fine dining, dugs or vigorous sex, many PBers would take the opportunity to have a final game of Wordle before their last gasp.
    Wordle 271 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me ages. good word.

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟨⬜🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

How are people doing overall?

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

St Nicola: "'NATO and the democratic world shouldn't be writing Putin blank cheques'

Well, that's them telt.

https://twitter.com/ITVBorderRB/status/1504094294080208896

Only Nicola should get blank cheques, written by London...
    That’s what you Unionists keep on voting for, I just can’t work out why you seem so unhappy with the result.
    We like pointing out what ungrateful bastards you are....
    Sounds like an abusive relationship to me..

‘You’re nothing, without me you’d be on the streets you ungrateful bitch.’

Let’s just call it a day and we can all move on.
    You were working as a teuchtar in a Highland bog
    When I met you
    I crushed your face into the peat
    And took you out of the EU

I’d say teuchter is more correct but am open to opinions on it.
    you seem to be right. Plus it's more a Scot-on-Scot insult than a "unionist" one.
    Teuchter is the correct form, at least in Scots and English, and it does look like a Gaelic -air ending, cf. saighdair 'soldier', although what it means is unclear on checking. It is very much an insult along the lines of "country bumpkin" used by Central Belt types esp Glaswegians of Highlands and Islands Gaelic-speakers. I would never use it myself.

https://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/teuchter
    Kind of odd that Glaswegians would look down on anyone. OK, Liverpudlians maybe?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

BBC forced to admit there is 'absolutely no evidence' Corbyn is or was an antisemite.

Ian Austin/Telegraph forced into a humiliating and very expensive public apology about Labour staffer Laura Murray.

Looks like the tide's finally turning.

PB leaves itself open to action by allowing Posters such as Heathener to continue to call Corbyn an Anti Semite

You mean Corbyn the anti-Semite?

That Corbyn?

The self-proclaimed anti-racist who gets himself so confused by what racism is?

That Corbyn?
    The fact this site allows you to say that and you are prepared to say it is yours and its problem not mine.

I know Tim has been contacted by Jezzas lawyers for comments on Twitter your turn may come
    Why do you feel the need to defend Corbyn so much? Surely you can see *why* people might think it, even if you disagree? But why are you so vehement in your defence of him? What do you get out of it?

And BTW, don't threaten me. If Jezza wants to come after a non-entity like me, then he's little more than a bully. I wonder if he'll use crowd-funded lawyers to do it...
    You are opening yourself to legal action as is this site
    I have to wonder if BJO understands the law when it comes to defamation...
    It’s only libel if it’s untrue?
    Perhaps you should have advised Ian Austin/ The Telegraph/ Ben Bradley MP/ Councillor Paul Nickerson/ Tim ex of PB of that.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429

Leon said:

So is this - right here, right now - the closest we’ve been to nuclear apocalypse since Cuba in ‘63? I think so

No! We've done this before. PVO Strany computers shrieking a warning that inbound US missiles were in flight in 1983, and the errant Norwegian weather rocket in 1995 were far worse than this.

Had Petrov not broken orders and risked jail to ignore the computer, Andropov would have had no choice but to order a counterforce strike. Which NATO would have read as surprise first strike, launched their own response and thats the end of things.

Had Yeltsin not stopped having had his ID validated by the nuclear briefcase and proceeded with protocol to launch a counterforce strike that also would have been it.

So this is some way off that level of risk.
    I disagree. Those were all accidents or happenstance. This time there is an inexorable if crazy geopolitical logic. Putin’s only escape route is wild escalation - arguably. I really hope this is wrong.

A military expert with 50k followers on Twitter:

“This looks eerily like the Russian elite being evacuated from Moscow to more secure location in the south Urals.

I don't like it one bit.”

https://twitter.com/pmakela1/status/1504378005610811393?s=21
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,767

The Russian Rossiya Special Flight fleet mystery thickens - most are now heading back to Moscow - one approached Novosibirsk then did not land but is heading back - and one, the 4 engined IL-86 (the Presidential aircraft?) keeps heading north - over the pole somewhere?

They are using Ilyushin aircraft for foreign journeys I think because they won't be impounded unlike Boeing and Airbus aircraft. They send an IL-96 to Washington the other day to pick up Russian diplomats.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Does anyone know what is actually happening re P+O?
    Are they going bust?
    Grant Shapps genuinely seemed to be out of the loop completely.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Aslan said:

Ukraine release that they killed a Russian General because he was talking on an unsecured phone line:

It's odd that they said how they got him because they could get more generals this way. Perhaps they have calculated that the Russians communications are so shit, that they have no choice but to use such lines, so by releasing the news, they scare them off using them and impair their comms completely.

There was a story last week that the Russian secure phones rely on 3G/4G cell towers, which they destroyed early on in the invasion...
    I'm safe if they invade here then.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,231
    dixiedean said:

Are they going bust?

They got fed up with the RMT and did a fire & rehire. Or, they are trying to do one.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,555
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

It’s quite interesting contrasting France and the UK very generally on regional identity and separatism.

Both countries are a larger version of their original cores through war/conquest or absorption.

In the UK the “absorbed/conquered” parts have kept very strong visible identities and different levels of their own independent decision making away from London which have evolved over time but still have strong cultural identities and differences.

The degrees are wide from Scotland, Wales and NI to Cornish or Yorkshire identity.

France however had been very good/very brutal at suppressing the identities of their equivalents with a long focus on being totally “French”.

So whilst areas such as Brittany, Savoie and Basque pockets have independence movements they aren’t very strong and probably mirror Cornish independence movements.

Areas that weren’t historically “France” that aren’t Brittany and Savoie such as Aquitaine and Gascony are very much brought into the whole French demos.

It’s understandable why Corsica is more of an outlier as was always treated slightly badly by France in a cultural sneer kind of way - Napoleon was mocked non stop at military school for being a Corsican, treated like an educated monkey.

I would be surprised if this was a larger issue for France but interesting to see how it pans out.

True, but didn't stop the French making him an emperor! And the "educated monkey" rewrote their constitution on his days off from conquering most of Europe.

Do the French still have that mocking attitude to Corsica?
    To be honest I’m not sure how modern French see Corsicans but at the time of Napoleon it was seen as very backwards and different - I would guess very much like how a lot of English viewed Ireland and the Irish at the same time. Interesting that Napoleon and Wellington were both from places that were looked down on by the people who worshipped them later!
    Hitler, Austria. Franco, Galicia. Stalin, Georgia. Thatcher, Grantham

It’s a known phenomenon. The outsider - usually middle or lower middle class - aspires to take over the metropole, and is more patriotic than the posher types in the capital

By contrast, religious or nihilistic revolutionaries tend to come from the upper middle or upper classes. Buddha. Bin Laden. Muhammad. Corbyn

Che Guevara (in the second list)
    Where does Jesus fit in?
    depends if Joseph was a carpenter carpenter or a Lord Linley carpenter. Could be the latter if "Born of David's line" is right in the carol.
    That’s an amazing and inspired post Z. Did the machine elves tell you to say it?

Were a lot of Jesus relatives royalty. His uncle/mentor a sectarian leader on the governing council.
    i have yet to meet a machine elf, but watch this space - just ordered some mimosa root bark and the chemicals to extract the DMT from it

To you in David's Town this day
    Is born of David's line
    The Savior who is Christ the Lord
    And this shall be the sign

It turns out this is pure Luke, *except* the David's line bit which comes from Matthew. make of that what you will.

there is a nutter archaeologist who has identified jesus' house in Nazareth. The only evidence, other than the date being about right, being that the house is well built, and obv a carpenter would build a good (stone) house.
    Do a deal with a stonemason? Mason builds two houses, carpenter builds two lots of fittings?
    You have convinced me

Only just occurred to me that he died on a (wooden) cross. No doubt there's acres of theology about this.
    Talking of “nutter archaeologist” or perhaps another man’s crusading scientist ahead of their time, does this citation from anthropologist Davidio Spaghetti’s Big Book Of Spaghetti (1963) help you at all?

in the early church.  Also, as we discussed previously, conditions in the Roman Empire facilitated the spread of new ideas, such as those of Ishmael and the sons of Ishmael.  According to Bobus Smithonus Cacophony Of Rome (74) Ishmael “called the convention of Rome AD73 and vowed to take the good news of the “Peebeeus” to the four corners of the known world”.  For this the empire's well-defined network of roads and waterways allowed easy travel, while the long period of relative peace and minimal expansion by military force made it safe to travel from one region to another.  For commercial reasons Roman government had encouraged inhabitants, especially those in urban areas, to learn Greek(75), and the common language of Greek born Jew Corbynanus allowed his ideas to be more easily expressed and understood exactly what he was trying to say. However the Church was largely a mess of sectarian division, different belief and interpretation.  In North Africa (and soon the Western Mediterranean) the popular Cult of the Corbynanus (who at the Great Council called themselves the Sons of Light) raved and spoke in the first person as Father with three sons, begotten, not made, of one substance with the Father.  Deliriant substance was key to the ceremonial raving, particularly henbane, mandrake, mushrooms and ethanol wine. But the simplicity of the message, the reassurance and comfort blankets of the liturgy, made it popular in attracting followers, and through that wealth too, and this was not to be underestimated even by the larger more traditional Church of Ishmael in Rome, Greece and Tintinople.    Unless to mean but one God, with three Sons of the same substance as the father, Tricine concepts of the Corbynanus Cult clearly do not make a great deal of abstract sense, and taken either way their custom and practices had little to do with either the Peebeeus themselves (save the drunkenness) or the Greek ethics and puritan mission of Ishmael and his Church.  However by the time of Queen Constant Tintin,  Tricine Creed fitted both the monotheism now vogue around and beyond the Empire and the growing calls in the Church to evolve more structured hierarchy to counter the diverse interpretations in belief.  By 325AD the wealthy and politically influential Tricine Creed of the Cult was rubber stamped by the Great Council, held at Braintree. In theological terms there are not three Gods, just the one God, and three sons, The Holy Peebeeus.  
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

So is this - right here, right now - the closest we’ve been to nuclear apocalypse since Cuba in ‘63? I think so

No! We've done this before. PVO Strany computers shrieking a warning that inbound US missiles were in flight in 1983, and the errant Norwegian weather rocket in 1995 were far worse than this.

Had Petrov not broken orders and risked jail to ignore the computer, Andropov would have had no choice but to order a counterforce strike. Which NATO would have read as surprise first strike, launched their own response and thats the end of things.

Had Yeltsin not stopped having had his ID validated by the nuclear briefcase and proceeded with protocol to launch a counterforce strike that also would have been it.

I disagree. Those were all accidents or happenstance. This time there is an inexorable if crazy geopolitical logic. Putin’s only escape route is wild escalation - arguably. I really hope this is wrong.

“This looks eerily like the Russian elite being evacuated from Moscow to more secure location in the south Urals.

Yes, accidents. Always the most likely cause of nuclear war.

In 1983 the KGB had utterly misread what the west were up to. For months they had interpreted ABLE ARCHER 83 as build-up to a sneak attack. And then at the most acute moment of tension they detect the sneak attack they feared.

Had Petrov not disobeyed the world would have ended quickly that day. We are a long way from that level of hair-trigger tension.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Are they going bust?

They got fed up with the RMT and did a fire & rehire. Or, they are trying to do one.
    If this is what is happening, then I *really* don't like that sort of behaviour. Deplorable.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Aslan said:

This has some detail - https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-comms-ukraine-world-hertz

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Is it better or worse that nations possess nuclear weapons that are so powerful that if they were all released, more than a billion people would die?

On the one hand, if they are used, the casualties would be awful. On the other, if no none possessed them, almost certainly big conventional wars, inflicting serious casualties, like Yugoslavia or Ukraine, would be a lot more common than they are now.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

They are using Ilyushin aircraft for foreign journeys I think because they won't be impounded unlike Boeing and Airbus aircraft. They send an IL-96 to Washington the other day to pick up Russian diplomats.
    Yes, the only planes leaving Russia, are Russian-built and Russian-owned. Anything else is liable to be impounded the minute its wheels stop turning.

The leased Western aircraft have all has leases and registrations cancelled - apparently many leased aircraft were registered with flags of convenience, because no-one trusted Russian registration.

https://airinsight.com/the-race-to-recover-is-on-for-aircraft-lessors-with-russian-customers/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,109
    NEW
    BAnk of England raises its base rates again by 0,25% to 0.75%
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited March 2022
    Foss said:

Did any of them land? I wonder if someone was getting a message hand delivered?

Most of them did - but one of them got within 100’ of the runway at Novosibirsk then went around and is heading back to Moscow. Meanwhile the IL86 is keeping on trucking….
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060

BBC forced to admit there is 'absolutely no evidence' Corbyn is or was an antisemite.

Ian Austin/Telegraph forced into a humiliating and very expensive public apology about Labour staffer Laura Murray.

PB leaves itself open to action by allowing Posters such as Heathener to continue to call Corbyn an Anti Semite

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?
    The fact this site allows you to say that and you are prepared to say it is yours and its problem not mine.

I know Tim has been contacted by Jezzas lawyers for comments on Twitter your turn may come
    Why do you feel the need to defend Corbyn so much? Surely you can see *why* people might think it, even if you disagree? But why are you so vehement in your defence of him? What do you get out of it?

And BTW, don't threaten me. If Jezza wants to come after a non-entity like me, then he's little more than a bully. I wonder if he'll use crowd-funded lawyers to do it...
    It’s only libel if it’s untrue?
    Perhaps you should have advised Ian Austin/ The Telegraph/ Ben Bradley MP/ Councillor Paul Nickerson/ Tim ex of PB of that.
    Instead of repeating that line, perhaps you might like to answer the questions I asked?
  • Options
    Quite shocking that the Germans didn't even give Zelensky a response..

Also, why are there so many empty seats?

Michaela Kuefner
    @MKuefner
    Standing ovations for Ukraine’s President @ZelenskyyUa following his live address to German Parliament.
    Volodymyr Zelenskyy criticized German Chancellor Scholz directly for lack of leadership over Ukraine.
    No reply since he and his coalition MPs decided against reply and debate.
    https://twitter.com/MKuefner/status/1504387409013837835
  • Options
    Interest rate increases to 0.75%
  • Options
    Base rates up to.75%.
    April inflation forecast 8%.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,400
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

How do you manage to lose money delivering food during a pandemic?

Deliveroo just posted a £300m loss last year, from revenues of £1.8bn.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/business/2022/03/17/deliveroo-losses-rise-to-298m-despite-pandemic-boost/

By not charging enough to cover your costs in the hope that your competitors run out of capital first and you can establish yourself as a monopoly provider and charge a monopoly rent.
    Indeed, but the guy left with the monopoly isn’t going to be able to charge monopoly rents, because the demand is massively price elastic. Who’ll pay £10 for 4 pints of milk and a couple of packs of crisps, from a shop two minutes’ walk from their house?
    Sounds like one of those situations where the customer is the venture capital investor. I guess we get to enjoy the utility of these services below cost price for as long as there's venture capital to subsidise them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Biden schedule today. in DC with the Taoiseach.

interesting to see if he sticks to it.

https://factba.se/biden/calendar
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,231

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Are they going bust?

If this is what is happening, then I *really* don't like that sort of behaviour. Deplorable.
    I am enjoying the new sensation of feeling sorry for RMT members. Personal development, innit?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Are they going bust?

Cheers. That seems brave in the economic circumstances.
    Nor wise. Since they are owned by the none too popular Dubai.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

It’s quite interesting contrasting France and the UK very generally on regional identity and separatism.

Both countries are a larger version of their original cores through war/conquest or absorption.

In the UK the “absorbed/conquered” parts have kept very strong visible identities and different levels of their own independent decision making away from London which have evolved over time but still have strong cultural identities and differences.

The degrees are wide from Scotland, Wales and NI to Cornish or Yorkshire identity.

France however had been very good/very brutal at suppressing the identities of their equivalents with a long focus on being totally “French”.

So whilst areas such as Brittany, Savoie and Basque pockets have independence movements they aren’t very strong and probably mirror Cornish independence movements.

Areas that weren’t historically “France” that aren’t Brittany and Savoie such as Aquitaine and Gascony are very much brought into the whole French demos.

It’s understandable why Corsica is more of an outlier as was always treated slightly badly by France in a cultural sneer kind of way - Napoleon was mocked non stop at military school for being a Corsican, treated like an educated monkey.

I would be surprised if this was a larger issue for France but interesting to see how it pans out.

True, but didn't stop the French making him an emperor! And the "educated monkey" rewrote their constitution on his days off from conquering most of Europe.

To be honest I’m not sure how modern French see Corsicans but at the time of Napoleon it was seen as very backwards and different - I would guess very much like how a lot of English viewed Ireland and the Irish at the same time. Interesting that Napoleon and Wellington were both from places that were looked down on by the people who worshipped them later!

It’s a known phenomenon. The outsider - usually middle or lower middle class - aspires to take over the metropole, and is more patriotic than the posher types in the capital

By contrast, religious or nihilistic revolutionaries tend to come from the upper middle or upper classes. Buddha. Bin Laden. Muhammad. Corbyn

Where does Jesus fit in?
    depends if Joseph was a carpenter carpenter or a Lord Linley carpenter. Could be the latter if "Born of David's line" is right in the carol.
    That’s an amazing and inspired post Z. Did the machine elves tell you to say it?

Were a lot of Jesus relatives royalty. His uncle/mentor a sectarian leader on the governing council.
    i have yet to meet a machine elf, but watch this space - just ordered some mimosa root bark and the chemicals to extract the DMT from it

Is born of David's line

It turns out this is pure Luke, *except* the David's line bit which comes from Matthew. make of that what you will.

there is a nutter archaeologist who has identified jesus' house in Nazareth. The only evidence, other than the date being about right, being that the house is well built, and obv a carpenter would build a good (stone) house.
    Do a deal with a stonemason? Mason builds two houses, carpenter builds two lots of fittings?
    You have convinced me

Only just occurred to me that he died on a (wooden) cross. No doubt there's acres of theology about this.
    Talking of “nutter archaeologist” or perhaps another man’s crusading scientist ahead of their time, does this citation from anthropologist Davidio Spaghetti’s Big Book Of Spaghetti (1963) help you at all?

in the early church.  Also, as we discussed previously, conditions in the Roman Empire facilitated the spread of new ideas, such as those of Ishmael and the sons of Ishmael.  According to Bobus Smithonus Cacophony Of Rome (74) Ishmael “called the convention of Rome AD73 and vowed to take the good news of the “Peebeeus” to the four corners of the known world”.  For this the empire's well-defined network of roads and waterways allowed easy travel, while the long period of relative peace and minimal expansion by military force made it safe to travel from one region to another.  For commercial reasons Roman government had encouraged inhabitants, especially those in urban areas, to learn Greek(75), and the common language of Greek born Jew Corbynanus allowed his ideas to be more easily expressed and understood exactly what he was trying to say. However the Church was largely a mess of sectarian division, different belief and interpretation.  In North Africa (and soon the Western Mediterranean) the popular Cult of the Corbynanus (who at the Great Council called themselves the Sons of Light) raved and spoke in the first person as Father with three sons, begotten, not made, of one substance with the Father.  Deliriant substance was key to the ceremonial raving, particularly henbane, mandrake, mushrooms and ethanol wine. But the simplicity of the message, the reassurance and comfort blankets of the liturgy, made it popular in attracting followers, and through that wealth too, and this was not to be underestimated even by the larger more traditional Church of Ishmael in Rome, Greece and Tintinople.    Unless to mean but one God, with three Sons of the same substance as the father, Tricine concepts of the Corbynanus Cult clearly do not make a great deal of abstract sense, and taken either way their custom and practices had little to do with either the Peebeeus themselves (save the drunkenness) or the Greek ethics and puritan mission of Ishmael and his Church.  However by the time of Queen Constant Tintin,  Tricine Creed fitted both the monotheism now vogue around and beyond the Empire and the growing calls in the Church to evolve more structured hierarchy to counter the diverse interpretations in belief.  By 325AD the wealthy and politically influential Tricine Creed of the Cult was rubber stamped by the Great Council, held at Braintree. In theological terms there are not three Gods, just the one God, and three sons, The Holy Peebeeus.  
    You are meant to be saving the Class As for defcon 1.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,970
    I don't get how P&O can make all it's staff redundant and then use agency staff for the positions ?
    My understanding of employment law (IANAL) was that the job/position was made redundant, and not the person.

P&O must have some very good lawyers.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094

Leon said:

Given that we’re all about to die in a nuclear apocalypse, it’s time to start thinking about what we’d eat for a last supper. I’ve been having the same chat in a couple of WhatsApp groups

Maybe an insanely hot Singapore chicken laksa because you don’t have to worry about it hurting the next day

I suspect that, were the apocalypse to come, rather than fine dining, dugs or vigorous sex, many PBers would take the opportunity to have a final game of Wordle before their last gasp.
    Yes, then waste thousands of their last pixels telling us all about it.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973

Quite shocking that the Germans didn't even give Zelensky a response..

Also, why are there so many empty seats?

Michaela Kuefner
    @MKuefner
    Standing ovations for Ukraine’s President @ZelenskyyUa following his live address to German Parliament.
    Volodymyr Zelenskyy criticized German Chancellor Scholz directly for lack of leadership over Ukraine.
    No reply since he and his coalition MPs decided against reply and debate.
    https://twitter.com/MKuefner/status/1504387409013837835

Maybe they were upset that he didn’t wear a suit?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Base rates up to.75%.

And they say inflation may rise higher
  • Options
    Apparently a load of private jets also left Moscow for Dubai.

As you would, if you were an oligarch and you saw Putin’s speech last night
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Wordle 271 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me ages. good word.

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟨⬜🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

NOBODY CARES
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I don't get how P&O can make all it's staff redundant and then use agency staff for the positions ?
    My understanding of employment law (IANAL) was that the job/position was made redundant, and not the person.

I *think* the game they are playing is

- Company closes doors (temporarily)
    - All staff made redundant
    - Company re-opens doors. Lots of jobs to fill. Agency staff only....
    - Anyone wanting a job (hint hint) should apply to the agencies....
  • Options
    Germany put its own self interest before wider security concerns and we are all now paying the price for this arrogance

Volodymyr Zelensky launched an excoriating attack on Germany over its policy towards Ukraine, accusing its leaders of placing good economic relations with Vladimir Putin over the security of Europe

https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/1504428679396532226
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

OK you win. Let's go with benignly tolerant of antisemitism. A broad church kinda guy. And what could possibly be wrong with that?
    Wrongly accusing someone of vile Antisemitism has costs as Austin and the Telegraph have found out. Falsely accusing Corbyn of this or being a terrorist sympathiser or a foreign agent have resulted in apologies and substantial damages too.

The BBC lawyers have recently clearly made a decision it can no longer allow such comment

Most importantly false accusation does a massive disservice to fighting actual Antisemitism.

I would like to see people making false accusations punished for that reason
    When has Corbyn actually fought anti-Semitism?
    https://twitter.com/toryfibs/status/977897739630628864

Do you not find it surprising that the EHRC report didnt name Corbyn and almost all the criticisms were about the processes as implemented under Corbyn hater McNicoll and improved under Corbynite Formby.

The Forde report is supposed to be looking into whether certain head office staff were deliberately undermining the fight against AS for factional reasons.

At that point assuming it finds this is correct i understand the legal war chest held by Jezza will be used to go after defamers in the Party
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There must be a new company involved to do what they’ve done AIUI.

So P&O declares bankruptcy, sell assets (ships and docking rights) to O&P, O&P say they will hire only agency staff.

Employment lawyers will want to see significantly different shareholders between P&O and O&P too, P&O shareholders will need to be wiped out.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,344

malcolmg said:

My nags for today , had poor day yesterday with non runners and others being donkeys. Tough racing today , winners will be hard to come by.
    @moonrabbit @stodge @ping

EW Patent
    Sire Du Berlais 14:10 Cheltenham
    Champ 15:30 Cheltenham
    Imperial Alcazar 16:10 Cheltenham

Singles EW

Totally agree with you Malc, difficult races to call if Allaho don’t win probably no winner today. But I feel lifted you havn’t given up on Champ either, and we are both on Sire Du Berlais too.

But despite boxes of non runners still huge fields for the two handicaps. I’ve spent hours trying to not miss something.

*Betting Post 🐎 Day 3

The drama continues. And it was drama yesterday, with weather forecasters getting Cotswold weather wrong, expecting no rain so they watered the course! And then it rained all day. The two big match ups probably ruined by the ground getting heavy. Many punters had probably selected on understanding good to soft or even ante bet on horses withdrawn last minute

I have the going as soft for today, my advice is bet opposite today than yesterday - I picked on Wednesday horses to win whose chances only improve if it gets softer. The rain has gone, it will dry with each passing hour of the festival, so I think no need to go for mudlarks, anticipate soft, softish in places, and on to good, soft in places on gold cup day.

I have four wins from 8 tips so far, but don’t go overboard on my tips today thinking I have form, I won’t! I don’t feel nearly as confident about three of them as yesterday. This is because the races look more open. A day to back with the head I think.

These are horses I am on today, and analysis why.

14:10 Sire Du Berlais
    A case in point. A three mile handicap hurdle with 20+ riders on a drying track. But Sire Du Berlais is twice a winner of this race, in 2020 on soft year before good to soft, in both wins judged the race perfectly to be ahead at finish, and build up this season is clearly with this race in mind I think. There are other challengers, but the class and around the block knowledge we are investing into is good value for some sort of return.

14:50 Allaho NAP
    Cool head says Something has to go wrong not to have at least one winner in our slip today. Betting forecast suggests pick e/w bet for second for better odds, but far too open race for second I think.

15:30 Champ
    I ❤️ Champ but don’t let that put you off on a day for head over heart. There’s no problem with distance, maybe like it firmer going, form is always there for a wonder horse, and should be fresh. The problem is the opponents are worthy, so much so bookies and pundits have forsaken Champ, like something from High Noon. But this horse is a born winner, won’t go down without a fight. Join me on Champ and get set for the showdown. Don’t forsake me oh my darling 😍

16:10 The Glancing Queen
    Now a 2m4f handicap chase with about 20 entrants. The Glancing Queen last start was on news years day at Cheltenham over this distance on soft, coming second to L'Homme Presse - I think all that points to expecting a good effort at least. Don’t start singing till wins in bag.

Good luck and have a great day.
    Just back from the park with the dog, and it's not the bog I was expecting, our having had half a month's rain over about eight hours yesterday. It was soft, but drying out rapidly in today's unbroken sunshine. Well done on yesterday's tips!
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Wordle 271 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me ages. good word.

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟨⬜🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

NOBODY CARES
    Sorry, forgot how much you like Quordle..

Daily Quordle #52
    5️⃣4️⃣
    8️⃣6️⃣
    quordle.com
    ⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨 ⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Are they going bust?

Seems the ships are Cyprus flagged and substantially Filipino crewed.

ie they are not really expecting to rehire existing crew.
  • Options
    Leon said:

https://4minuterecipes.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Martin won’t be there - he’s tested COVID positive.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-03-17/taoiseach-micheal-martin-tests-positive-for-covid-19-in-washington-dc
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458

Pulpstar said:

And if the ex-staff sit in the boats and refuse to leave?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Is 4 minutes too long though?
    It needs to be eaten as well.
  • Options
    Too little too late on interest rates

The BOE have screwed this up big time.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

OK you win. Let's go with benignly tolerant of antisemitism. A broad church kinda guy. And what could possibly be wrong with that?
    Wrongly accusing someone of vile Antisemitism has costs as Austin and the Telegraph have found out. Falsely accusing Corbyn of this or being a terrorist sympathiser or a foreign agent have resulted in apologies and substantial damages too.

The BBC lawyers have recently clearly made a decision it can no longer allow such comment

Most importantly false accusation does a massive disservice to fighting actual Antisemitism.

Do you not find it surprising that the EHRC report didnt name Corbyn and almost all the criticisms were about the processes as implemented under Corbyn hater McNicoll and improved under Corbynite Formby.

The Forde report is supposed to be looking into whether certain head office staff were deliberately undermining the fight against AS for factional reasons.

At that point assuming it finds this is correct i understand the legal war chest held by Jezza will be used to go after defamers in the Party
    Ah yes, the Forde report. If only Starmer would publish that we will find there was a conspiracy by the Labour Party against the Jeremy after internal polling found He was about to win a majority of 704.

I don't get it. Corbyn is out of the party, the brains trust MPs like Ricky Burgon are self-censoring themselves and the hard left has scabbed off into a swathe of splinter groups under the "Left Unity" banner.

What purpose does it serve to keep trying to defend the reputation of a man who largely didn't have a reputation worth saving?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fuck. This is really not good.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited March 2022
    Sean_F said:

Is it better or worse that nations possess nuclear weapons that are so powerful that if they were all released, more than a billion people would die?

On the one hand, if they are used, the casualties would be awful. On the other, if no none possessed them, almost certainly big conventional wars, inflicting serious casualties, like Yugoslavia or Ukraine, would be a lot more common than they are now.

Horrific as conventional warfare is, it doesn't tend to render whole geographical areas uninhabitable for decades or centuries.
  • Options
    See here

“A large exodus of private jets out of Moscow towards Dubai this morning too.”

https://twitter.com/oalexanderdk/status/1504416951518564360?s=21
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Which is what RMT is advising
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

You have convinced me

Apologies. I thought this thread is saying this is defcon 1.

Asking for a friend, would it be controversial on PB to use “mushrooms” as a pizza topping?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

dixiedean said:

Base rates up to.75%.

And they say inflation may rise higher
    I knew we paid these economists the big bucks for a reason.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Not just the oligarchs either, lots of averagely-wealthy Russian businesspeople are running off to wherever they can at the moment, chartering planes from anywhere they can find them as the scheduled flight become unavailable.

A friend of my wife is worth a few million, he saw what was coming and moved to from Moscow to Vienna a few months ago. Now he faces a nightmare to try and get most of his money out of Russia through a disfunctional banking system.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Wordle 271 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me ages. good word.

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟨⬜🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

NOBODY CARES

Daily Quordle #52
    5️⃣4️⃣
    8️⃣6️⃣
    quordle.com
    ⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨 ⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    Millions of people in this country do cryptic crosswords. As far as I know, there has never been a weirdo trend for posting their results (and times) online and boasting to everyone that they are able to complete a puzzle.

I put this down to the fact that cryptic crosswords are a more elegant and erudite pursuit than a mundane trial-and-error matrix. And, thus, attract a more genteel and gently modest participant.
  • Options

Seems so according to Bloomberg
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Martin won’t be there - he’s tested COVID positive.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-03-17/taoiseach-micheal-martin-tests-positive-for-covid-19-in-washington-dc
    Or has heard from his intelligence services back home
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

You have convinced me

Asking for a friend, would it be controversial on PB to use “mushrooms” as a pizza topping?
    How many megatons of "mushrooms" is your friend advocating?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Nigelb said:

Thread on nuclear deterrence...

Last week, I read critiques of my position on Putin’s rationality and possibility of nuclear war. Many are not realist enough about the nuclear threat or the right response.
    I argue in this thread that if we “blink” on Putin’s nuclear threat, we will increase the risk of WWIII.

https://twitter.com/andreivkozyrev/status/1503404009142423558

That's sound but I'm not sure the US response can fairly be described as 'blinking'. They've laid a clear red line - NATO territory - and I can't see why Putin would doubt this based on US rhetoric and actions thus far.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Are they going bust?

Is there a large pool of experienced, unemployed ferry staff?
  • Options
    Leon said:

See here

This is defcon 1. 🤯 This is happening.

This is all Sleepy Joe’s fault. He went far too far in his speech yesterday.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Able Archer
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

You have convinced me

good point.

there is some discussion over the temperature at which gourmet mushrooms lose their distinctive flavour, if you get my drift. I make ginger/honey tea with them, wouldn't wanna cook them hotter than that.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Wordle 271 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me ages. good word.

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟨⬜🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

NOBODY CARES

Daily Quordle #52
    5️⃣4️⃣
    8️⃣6️⃣
    quordle.com
    ⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨 ⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    Millions of people in this country do cryptic crosswords. As far as I know, there has never been a weirdo trend for posting their results (and times) online and boasting to everyone that they are able to complete a puzzle.

I put this down to the fact that cryptic crosswords are a more elegant and erudite pursuit than a mundane trial-and-error matrix. And, thus, attract a more genteel and gently modest participant.
    These wordles and derivatives need a clock to give you a score. 5 lines done over 5 mins should score worse than 6 lines in a minute.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,400
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taoiseach has the Covid.
  • Options
    For balance and calm - there is a Grand Prix in Bahrain this weekend. Maybe the oligarchs are just Motörheads
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458

Pulpstar said:

Which is what RMT is advising
    Good. Wonder how many millions it costs to keep the fleet at port?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,287

Leon said:

See here

Oligarchs who don't fancy being "purified" in the coming purge of all Russia?
  • Options
    anyway bloody lovely spring day to end on. horses out without rugs for first time since October.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

Ah yes, the Forde report. If only Starmer would publish that we will find there was a conspiracy by the Labour Party against the Jeremy after internal polling found He was about to win a majority of 704.

I don't get it. Corbyn is out of the party, the brains trust MPs like Ricky Burgon are self-censoring themselves and the hard left has scabbed off into a swathe of splinter groups under the "Left Unity" banner.

What purpose does it serve to keep trying to defend the reputation of a man who largely didn't have a reputation worth saving?
    Because 1000s of members and ex members will be joining a class action against the Party for return of their subs if it was deliberately working to lose the 2017 election as alleged.

Those named like Oldknow would have already filed for defamation if the allegations against them were untrue IMO instead they are trying to defend themselves via data breach as they know the truth is out there
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Are they going bust?

Presumably P&O have access to the kind of senior crew that international freighters use, many of which come from Romania, Bulgaria etc. I doubt they would have made the move without fixing that first.

This is brutal.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Thread on nuclear deterrence...

Last week, I read critiques of my position on Putin’s rationality and possibility of nuclear war. Many are not realist enough about the nuclear threat or the right response.
    I argue in this thread that if we “blink” on Putin’s nuclear threat, we will increase the risk of WWIII.

https://twitter.com/andreivkozyrev/status/1503404009142423558

That's sound but I'm not sure the US response can fairly be described as 'blinking'. They've laid a clear red line - NATO territory - and I can't see why Putin would doubt this based on US rhetoric and actions thus far.
    The basic problem is that Putin isn't Thatcher. He might well be prepared to use nukes rather than lose power.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

Because 1000s of members and ex members will be joining a class action against the Party for return of their subs if it was deliberately working to lose the 2017 election as alleged.

Those named like Oldknow would have already filed for defamation if the allegations against them were untrue IMO instead they are trying to defend themselves via data breach as they know the truth is out there
    And that would do what for the party's credibility and electability?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Is 4 minutes too long though?
    It needs to be eaten as well.
    I’ve got bumper sized pack of chocolate hobnobs, I reckon I can get through them in 4 minutes.

🤦‍♀️ We don’t get a warning anymore, remember the “i” report, Gordon Brown scrapped the nuclear warning to raise civil service pay.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Pulpstar said:

Not done under UK law?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

carnforth said:

dixiedean said:

Are they going bust?

Presumably P&O have access to the kind of senior crew that international freighters use, many of which come from Romania, Bulgaria etc. I doubt they would have made the move without fixing that first.

This is brutal.
    Yep. 5 Live business correspondent just speculated that was the rumour.
  • Options
    “Russian Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) Head Dmitry Rogozin uses Tu-204-300. This one en route to Baikonur Cosmodrome from Moscow. (NB. There hasn't been any ICBM testing associated with Baikonur since 2008.)”

https://twitter.com/andy_scollick/status/1504424658984128514?s=21
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

To be fair, the rest of the world has this problem too. The Fed increased its rate by .25 this week to 0.5, despite the fact that CPI in the US is running at 7.9%.

Inflation is here in a big way and it's not going away any time soon.

It's a catch 22. Raise rates and the economy goes into recession. Don't raise rates and it's back to 70s style stagflation.

The difference between the US and the UK situation, though, is that Biden is personally copping a lot of the blame for the economy, a lot of people (erroneously) seem to think they'd be better off with the Republicans in charge.

Whereas I don't think there are many people in the UK saying "the economy's bad now, but it would be better under Labour." An opportunity for Labour perhaps? But how many people could even name the shadow chancellor?
  • Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Not done under UK law?
    Indeed. These are Cyprus registered ships.
  • Options

Leon said:

See here

Oligarchs who don't fancy being "purified" in the coming purge of all Russia?
    Please don’t call Putin a war criminal, he really doesn’t like it 😕
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Wordle 271 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me ages. good word.

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟨⬜🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

NOBODY CARES

Daily Quordle #52
    5️⃣4️⃣
    8️⃣6️⃣
    quordle.com
    ⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨 ⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

Shifting sidewall to good point (4,4)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,014

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taoiseach has the Covid.
    How many other Foreign Government heads get 1 day a year with the President of the USA?
  • Options
    Again, for balance, there is an innocent explanation as well

https://spacenews.com/space-station-operations-remain-normal-despite-geopolitical-tensions/

A Soyuz launch tomorrow

Hunch: this is a feint, designed to freak us out
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Wordle 271 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
    ⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Took me ages. good word.

Wordle 271 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
    🟩🟨⬜🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

NOBODY CARES

Daily Quordle #52
    5️⃣4️⃣
    8️⃣6️⃣
    quordle.com
    ⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨 ⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜ ⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜ ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛

Shifting sidewall to good point (4,4)
    Bravo!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

You have convinced me

good point.

there is some discussion over the temperature at which gourmet mushrooms lose their distinctive flavour, if you get my drift. I make ginger/honey tea with them, wouldn't wanna cook them hotter than that.
    Shame. I was feeling creative.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768

Brits are even shit at flattering people, which is surprising given our natural servile tendencies.

But, see Williamson, pretty good at flattering shit people.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,014

Brits are even shit at flattering people, which is surprising given our natural servile tendencies.

Problem is a knighthood is the highest honour we have that doesn't have other connections.

Both the Order of the Garter and a Peerage have actual requirements....
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Where does Jesus fit in?

Is born of David's line

You have convinced me

good point.

If you add a squeeze of fresh lemon to the tea, the citric acid helps break down the "gourmet" ingredients in the mushrooms faster, so you get to enjoy their special flavours quicker. Allegedly. The downside to this is the special flavours wear off faster, but sometimes that's a good thing...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,278
    kyf_100 said:

To be fair, the rest of the world has this problem too. The Fed increased its rate by .25 this week to 0.5, despite the fact that CPI in the US is running at 7.9%.

Inflation is here in a big way and it's not going away any time soon.

It's a catch 22. Raise rates and the economy goes into recession. Don't raise rates and it's back to 70s style stagflation.

The difference between the US and the UK situation, though, is that Biden is personally copping a lot of the blame for the economy, a lot of people (erroneously) seem to think they'd be better off with the Republicans in charge.

Whereas I don't think there are many people in the UK saying "the economy's bad now, but it would be better under Labour." An opportunity for Labour perhaps? But how many people could even name the shadow chancellor?
    Won't energy price increases have the same impact as raising interest rates.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

My nags for today , had poor day yesterday with non runners and others being donkeys. Tough racing today , winners will be hard to come by.
    @moonrabbit @stodge @ping

EW Patent

Singles EW

Morning Malc just as well I go to Cheltenham for the booze and socialising racing not the money (although I did back Facile Vega as in an RP article prior to the meeting Willie Mullins, discussing his chances, had said of it "of all the runners I have I would want to be on Facile Vega..." which sounded pretty emphatic to me!)

Yesterday was a cracking day, that said. Quite surreal with essentially a morass of horses moving around the track everyone looking grey and brown behind the front runners. Shishkin didn't travel a yard and I'm not going to get into the should they/shouldn't they have watered debate - suffice to say that rain was showing on all weather apps on the Weds for days and yet unwatered/rained upon the ground would have probably been good/good to firm... Who'd be clerk of the course.

Equally it was a good advert for honest racing to see Delta Work win when we were all imagining what would have happened in F1 with Jack Kennedy receiving instructions through his comms system to let Tiger Roll pass. The biggest mystery continues to be what the cross country race is for, that said.

Have a great day today.
    cheers Topping
  • Options
    But then, this:

“This is extremely worrying. Russian leadership is moving to all out war mode.”

Referring to this:

“Lavrov was halfway to Beijing last night when his plane turned around abruptly and returned to Moscow @BILD reports. Unclear if Putin called him back or Chinese side got cold feet”

https://twitter.com/pmakela1/status/1504415794360426499?s=21
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

That Corbyn?

That Corbyn?

I hope Corbyn does sue, mainly because I would like to see him try and wriggle out of the things he has said in a court of law. As it would be a civil case he will probably have a great deal of difficulty because his "guilt" (if he is guilty of afore said anti-Semitism) will only need to be demonstrated on the balance of the evidence, not beyond reasonable doubt.

For more detail on whether he is or isn't, here is some uncomfortable reading for his apologists. If said apologists are anti-Semites they can dismiss it as Jewish/Zionist conspiracy :

https://www.timesofisrael.com/document-lists-9-instances-of-anti-semitism-by-corbyn-among-thousands-in-labour/
    I suggest Corbyn's troubles on this front are because he's tried to be all things to all men (and women, natch). Could be got away with as an eccentric back bench MP. Not, though, if a Party Leader.
    I don't think he's antisemitic. I think he probably isn't. But I'm not sure and it's not great to have to be reaching for a 'balance of probabilities' argument on this when it comes to a Labour Party leader. I miss some aspects of the Corbyn era but this is one I don't. I'm glad Starmer has gone zero tolerance on it. I think he had to, even though it's led to some overreach and inequity, and (if we're not careful) to a risk of pro-Palestinian activism (a noble cause) being made unwelcome in the party.
  • Options
  • Options
    Leon said:

https://spacenews.com/space-station-operations-remain-normal-despite-geopolitical-tensions/

A Soyuz launch tomorrow

Providing the feint is that way around, and not the other. :open_mouth:

Will we see old footage of a Soyuz countdown, followed by an ICMB launch?
  • Options
    Leon said:

A Soyuz launch tomorrow

Glances around the room, Leon discussing fabulous foreign restaurant food, a few people getting excited over a wordle, someone getting sun on their horses back, others discussing ferry company layoffs… situation normal.

Phew.
This discussion has been closed.