Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Macron looking even more a certainty to win re-election next month – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,671

Are there any non-NATO countries that might open a second front against Putin?

China?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,132
    kle4 said:

With all these companies announcing withdrawal or restrictions in Russia I wonder what Ben and Jerry's are up to? I seem to recall far from not commenting on non food related matters their PR was all about commenting on social matters.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/10/ben-jerrys-ukraine-tweet-gets-frosty-reception-from-unilever-boss

Based on this report, am personally NOT buying any Ben & Jerry's for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

@MacaesBruno
    Andriy Zagorodniuk, former Ukrainian Minister of Defence, thinks Russia has lost 46,000 troops counting dead, prisoners and wounded…

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1500932068309889025

I don't believe it. If they'd lost half that I feel like Putin would have had a much harder time keeping a lid on things.
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

"The 72 per cent of Russians who never travel abroad - incidentally, roughly the same proportion of Russians that support Putin - will not be affected [by credit card ban]."

Nataliya Vasilyeva, Telegraph RU reporter.

Is that figure correct?

How does it compare with the number of Americans who never travel abroad?
    According to June 2021 Pew Research Center survey, just 27% of Americans have NOT traveled abroad. Of those, 19% (of total survey) had visited just one foreign country, most likely (IMHO) Canada or Mexico.

When I was a kid back in the 60s, my family took our vacation in Niagara Falls every other year (alternating with Myrtle Beach SC). We enjoyed being in another country and spending it's "funny" money, etc. But spending a few days in Ontario was not nearly as foreign in our eyes, as travelling to Europe would have been.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/08/12/most-americans-have-traveled-abroad-although-differences-among-demographic-groups-are-large/
    8% of Britons have never travelled abroad, though 20% have never been on a beach, etc.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4009336/Nearly-quarter-Brits-never-plane-visited-European-capital.html
    A great many of our beaches are not worth going to.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of shingle or mud flat as much as the next man, but they'd not as much fun laze about on.
    Rock pooling or fossilised for fossils on the Isle of Wight is a pleasure in life that no-one should miss. Much more fun than pickling your liver in the tropics.
    You went out of professional interest, or were you just along for the Ryde?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,333
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

You still keep bigging up this neutrality option, but I still don't see how it could possibly work. Leaving aside that promising not to formally align with NATO etc is not a neutral choice if it is done only because they'll be killed if they do not, I don't see what it really gains the Russians either - Ukraine is already not in NATO or the EU but is clearly western aligned now, so other than pettily holding Ukraine back it doesn't achieve anything for Russia in terms of preventing Ukraine from leaving its orbit.

I can see Ukraine agreeing to it, reluctantly, but even though Russia claims to want it it doesn't seem to obtain much.

What it achieves is preventing what's happened in the Balkan States and Poland, with NATO troops right up to the Russian border. Neutrality would mean no Russian, American or other foreign troops there, ever - Ukrainer would be the Switzerland of Eastern Europe. My reading of Putin and Russian public opinion (insofar as we can judge from polls of doubtful validity) is that that's what they really want. Everything else is secondary.

Conversely, Ukraine wants to be in the EU, Western and prosperous. They don't really care about having foreign troops and missiles, except as a deterrent to precisely what's happening now. So part of the deal for them has to be security guarantees that they can rely on - a NATO statement that yes, we'll stay out, but not if Ukraine is violated again. In return the West could gradually wind its sanctions down if the Russians withdraw and the deal holds.

In other words, sooner or later the West will need to play a part in getting a lasting deal.
    That might have been possible in the past, though the sort of compromise that would end a Ukranin PMs career, but it is certainly no longer possible. Too much Ukranian blood has been shed now.

This ends only with the fall of Putin. Probably not this week, but likely before the summer. Russia is grinding to an economic halt, and its much vaunted army shown to be both incompetent and psychopathic.
    A depressingly possible scenario as far as I can see, as that Ukraine by dint of heroic effort manages to resist invasion and Russian forces generaly withdrawn, but immense pressure if then put on Ukraine to not even seek to take back Donbas or a strip from there to Crimea, even if they have the wherewithal to attempt it. A return to the status quo (albeit not ante bellum, since the preceding invasion was bellum of a kind), with Russia have boosted the Donbas territory a bit, I fear would be taken as enough of a 'loss' for the Russians that immense pressure would be on Ukraine to not take on an aggressor role even to regain its territory.
    Yes, that's possible.

The other factor to be considered is that, if the Ukrainians are successful in pushing Russian forces back somewhat, the Russians would likely still have a lot of artillery on the Russian side of the border within range of many Ukrainian towns and cities - including Kharkiv, say. So if the Ukrainian army push the Russians back to the border by Kharkiv, but want to prolong the war to retake the Donbas, the Russians can continue to shell Kharkiv. This then creates a situation where the Ukrainians would want to attack the artillery in Russia.

Now, the Ukrainians have already hit a few targets inside Russia, but things could get a bit more escalatory if there's a temptation for the Ukrainians to create some sort of buffer zone in Russian territory. We're then into the sort of scenario of where the Russian nuclear line is drawn.

Having said that, it sure would make Ukraine's future a lot simpler if they were able to retake Crimea and the Donbas, and be free of Russian occupation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

China?
    They are busy making capital - actual & political - out of the conflict.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,851

eek said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

I wrote to my MP 9 days ago asking her to urge the government to be more open to Ukrainian refugees. Apart from a standard acknowledgment, I have not had the courtesy of a reply.

Very poor.

Our refugee policy shames us a country but shames the Tory party above all.

What do you expect, there are no animals to prioritise.
    It looks to me that Ukranians are big pet lovers. Lots of refugees with cats and dogs in the pictures.
    But we have to accept the Ukrainians as well as their pets and that means foreigners
    Ugh. I know it’s sarcasm but I’m just reminded constantly how woeful Patel has been. I mean - read the room. The world has changed massively.

I was told wait for the actual figures in terms of visas tonight. 50 was bad. 300 isn’t much better.
    300 is surely worse given that they’ve had a day to fix it and only managed to find 250 more.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,117
    As someone who doesn't like Johnson, it is striking how well received he is in Ukraine, and across the east of Europe

After Poroshenko positively gushes about the UK, Oz Katerji corroborates Ben Judah's claim the other day: https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1500933246032437251

"As someone who has been a fierce critic of Boris Johnson for a long time, it must be said, as far as Ukrainians I speak to are concerned, he is the best ally Ukraine has. I honestly take no pleasure in reporting this but it’s indisputably true. Come here & ask people yourself...

But sending NLAWs while the rest of the world was trying to appease Putin the fascist dictator has definitely won many hearts and minds here. Ukrainians wanted arms to defend their homes and their families, Britain supplied them. It’s black and white as far as many are concerned. When responding to this thread please bear in mind this is not my opinion of him, I have made my own feelings about him perfectly clear for a long time."

While the NLAWs are indisputably Wallace's success, it's built on a bedrock of 8 years of hard graft, training an equipping tens of thousands of Ukrainians surviving through 4 separate defence secretaries (Fallon, the Rt. Hon Dr Sir Gareth Williams KPMG CBE WNKER, Penny '2 months' Mordaunt, and Wallace). If you average out the MoD and Home Office you'd end up with an almost competent department.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,505

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

You still keep bigging up this neutrality option, but I still don't see how it could possibly work. Leaving aside that promising not to formally align with NATO etc is not a neutral choice if it is done only because they'll be killed if they do not, I don't see what it really gains the Russians either - Ukraine is already not in NATO or the EU but is clearly western aligned now, so other than pettily holding Ukraine back it doesn't achieve anything for Russia in terms of preventing Ukraine from leaving its orbit.

I can see Ukraine agreeing to it, reluctantly, but even though Russia claims to want it it doesn't seem to obtain much.

What it achieves is preventing what's happened in the Balkan States and Poland, with NATO troops right up to the Russian border. Neutrality would mean no Russian, American or other foreign troops there, ever - Ukrainer would be the Switzerland of Eastern Europe. My reading of Putin and Russian public opinion (insofar as we can judge from polls of doubtful validity) is that that's what they really want. Everything else is secondary.

Conversely, Ukraine wants to be in the EU, Western and prosperous. They don't really care about having foreign troops and missiles, except as a deterrent to precisely what's happening now. So part of the deal for them has to be security guarantees that they can rely on - a NATO statement that yes, we'll stay out, but not if Ukraine is violated again. In return the West could gradually wind its sanctions down if the Russians withdraw and the deal holds.

In other words, sooner or later the West will need to play a part in getting a lasting deal.
    That might have been possible in the past, though the sort of compromise that would end a Ukranin PMs career, but it is certainly no longer possible. Too much Ukranian blood has been shed now.

This ends only with the fall of Putin. Probably not this week, but likely before the summer. Russia is grinding to an economic halt, and its much vaunted army shown to be both incompetent and psychopathic.
    A depressingly possible scenario as far as I can see, as that Ukraine by dint of heroic effort manages to resist invasion and Russian forces generaly withdrawn, but immense pressure if then put on Ukraine to not even seek to take back Donbas or a strip from there to Crimea, even if they have the wherewithal to attempt it. A return to the status quo (albeit not ante bellum, since the preceding invasion was bellum of a kind), with Russia have boosted the Donbas territory a bit, I fear would be taken as enough of a 'loss' for the Russians that immense pressure would be on Ukraine to not take on an aggressor role even to regain its territory.
    Yes, that's possible.

The other factor to be considered is that, if the Ukrainians are successful in pushing Russian forces back somewhat, the Russians would likely still have a lot of artillery on the Russian side of the border within range of many Ukrainian towns and cities - including Kharkiv, say. So if the Ukrainian army push the Russians back to the border by Kharkiv, but want to prolong the war to retake the Donbas, the Russians can continue to shell Kharkiv. This then creates a situation where the Ukrainians would want to attack the artillery in Russia.

Now, the Ukrainians have already hit a few targets inside Russia, but things could get a bit more escalatory if there's a temptation for the Ukrainians to create some sort of buffer zone in Russian territory. We're then into the sort of scenario of where the Russian nuclear line is drawn.

Having said that, it sure would make Ukraine's future a lot simpler if they were able to retake Crimea and the Donbas, and be free of Russian occupation.

Alternatively, cede Crimea and Donbas and that allows NATO to say there are no boundaries in dispute.....and membership.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,048
    rcs1000 said:

China?
    Mongols? They have form.
  • Options

@MacaesBruno
    Andriy Zagorodniuk, former Ukrainian Minister of Defence, thinks Russia has lost 46,000 troops counting dead, prisoners and wounded…

If that were true, then the war will be over before Easter. Well before.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,999
    edited March 2022
    eek said:

eek said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

I wrote to my MP 9 days ago asking her to urge the government to be more open to Ukrainian refugees. Apart from a standard acknowledgment, I have not had the courtesy of a reply.

Very poor.

It looks to me that Ukranians are big pet lovers. Lots of refugees with cats and dogs in the pictures.
    But we have to accept the Ukrainians as well as their pets and that means foreigners
    Ugh. I know it’s sarcasm but I’m just reminded constantly how woeful Patel has been. I mean - read the room. The world has changed massively.

I was told wait for the actual figures in terms of visas tonight. 50 was bad. 300 isn’t much better.
    300 is surely worse given that they’ve had a day to fix it and only managed to find 250 more.
    It really is. I couldn’t give a shit about over bureaucratic form filling that Patels implemented thinking that “we want tough immigration controls”

I think the majority of brits can see the situation in Ukraine and apply some common sense to the situation.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I have to come on here to apologise for inadvertently misleading PB when I posted yesterday that a Ukrainian woman had downed a Russian drone with a jar of gherkins. This was wrong, she downed it with a jar of picked tomatoes.

Details here:

https://twitter.com/kgorchinskaya/status/1500840773822169090

I am happy to correct the record.

That might be the best correction since Sky Sports News apologised to David Goodwillie for calling him a racist, they wanted to correct the record and tell the world that David Goodwillie was in fact a rapist.
    Which, of course, is also incorrect.
    BBC - Footballers Goodwillie and Robertson ruled as rapists

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-38651041

'Lord Armstrong said: "In the result, therefore, I find that in the early hours of Sunday 2 January 2011, at the flat in Greig Crescent, Armadale, both defenders (the footballers) took advantage of the pursuer when she was vulnerable through an excessive intake of alcohol and, because her cognitive functioning and decision-making processes were so impaired, was incapable of giving meaningful consent; and that they each raped her."'
    “Ruled as rapists” not “rapists”.
    Is that a meaningful distinction?
    Very much so!

I doubt they’re likely to sue anyone anytime soon, but we should be very careful when talking about such civil cases.

Trial by jury is sacrosanct in my opinion. Best we don’t undermine it.
    I see and respect point you are making. Still doubt you are correct in arguing that Goodwillie can NOT be called a rapist, even though a legal judgement has been rendered that declares him to be exactly that.

Could some of our legal eagles weigh in?
    It has been shown on the balance of probabilities that he is a rapist. It has not been shown beyond a reasonable doubt. It really is that simple. For BRD corroboration is required. There wasn’t any. For BP that Is not required.

Believe me, the test for prosecution for rape is as low as it can be. If there is a “technical sufficiency “ it’s a go. There wasn’t.
    To pick one thread out of this tangle (legal, semantic, media code of practice, epistemological etc)

You, Y, say that X is a burglar on the basis that a civil court has has found him so on the civil standard of balance of probabilities. It's a free speech country and you can do so.

X's recourse is to sue you in defamation, which is a civil action, and where once again the standard of proof is balance of probabilities. The pliantiff has to prove.

For Y to succeed he shows that on b of p X is a burglar. Which a civil court has already done. It's a res judicata.

X will have a really uphill struggle.

NB Corroboration in rape is not required in English law. Though it helps. Scots law is different.

So (assuming I'm understanding your last sentence correctly) a criminal conviction in Goodwoodie case would have been (theoretically) possible in England, but NOT in Scotland, due to lack of corroboration?

And (regardless of above) it is legally correct to call Goodwoodie a rapist guilty of committing rape?
    1) If there was sufficient evidence in general but not corroborated; yes (unless my hazy Scots law is out of date)

2) It is neither correct nor incorrect. To so describe him makes a statement, one which is prima facie libellous but which you are allowed to say, it being a free speech country, subject to being sued in defamation. (As when the Daily Mail described several young men as killers in a notorious murder case even though they had not been convicted. They never sued).

When it comes to the actual, objective, relationship of words and contestable facts of course God alone knows, and even God is sometimes unsure.

That was the Stephen Lawrence case, was it not?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

"The 72 per cent of Russians who never travel abroad - incidentally, roughly the same proportion of Russians that support Putin - will not be affected [by credit card ban]."

Is that figure correct?

According to June 2021 Pew Research Center survey, just 27% of Americans have NOT traveled abroad. Of those, 19% (of total survey) had visited just one foreign country, most likely (IMHO) Canada or Mexico.

When I was a kid back in the 60s, my family took our vacation in Niagara Falls every other year (alternating with Myrtle Beach SC). We enjoyed being in another country and spending it's "funny" money, etc. But spending a few days in Ontario was not nearly as foreign in our eyes, as travelling to Europe would have been.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/08/12/most-americans-have-traveled-abroad-although-differences-among-demographic-groups-are-large/
    If you take out military service those numbers are probably much different.

8% of Britons have never travelled abroad, though 20% have never been on a beach, etc.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4009336/Nearly-quarter-Brits-never-plane-visited-European-capital.html
    Somewhat different due to military service, sure. But "much"? Doubt it, but don't have actual numbers.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,255
    Foxy said:

Is that figure correct?

I have always thought a better equivalent would be how many Britons have been outside Europe. The US is a continental sized country with just about every possible environment within its borders from sub-tropical to arctic. You kind of have to wonder why Americans would travel outside of the US when there is so much to see in their own country.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,393
    On a lighter note, here's the impressive Ukrainian ration kit that's keeping them going in the chilly surroundings (-1 in Kyiv at the moment):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_eFoIemjU

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,306

@MacaesBruno

If that was true, Lukashenko and Putin would both have been shot by now and the Ukrainian army would today be preparing its final assault on Moscow.

But I am fairly sure it isn't true. One in five killed, wounded or captured? Pull the other one.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

@MacaesBruno

Using the central US estimate of 5,000 dead I could see there being up to 30,000 out of action Russians. However we have really low visibility into what state the Russians are in outside of a few areas.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

China?
    Are they?

This isn't that great for China.

I mean, they probably wanted a quick win for Russia, followed by the World basically accepting that Russia had the right to do what they wanted in Ukraine. I.e., a blueprint for Taiwan.

But now they've discovered a few things: (1) the West is a lot more united than they thought, and that would make invading Taiwan a lot harder; (2) defenders with modern weapons have a lot of advantages. And Russia doesn't even have to cross 150 miles of ocean; (3) high commodity prices are bad for China; and (4) an irradiated world is also bad for China.

Now... they have Russia moving onto UnionPay (yay). But overall the war is not good for China. They want a rich, prosperous and quiet West, which leaves them the hegemon in the Far East.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,522

Belarus, if rumours of these mutinies turn out to be true.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,938
    Foxy said:

Is that figure correct?

67% have never managed to find the actual article amongst the adverts on the Daily Mail website.
  • Options
    Home Office

17,700 visas application have been received under the Ukraine Family Scheme since it was launched on friday and 300 visas have been issued so far
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,079

@MacaesBruno

Which would be half of all soldiers sent. 🤔
  • Options
    FF43 said:

@MacaesBruno

Which would be half of all soldiers sent. bollocks 🤔
    Abridged for you.
  • Options

Home Office

17,700 visas application have been received under the Ukraine Family Scheme since it was launched on friday and 300 visas have been issued so far

And do you think those numbers are good or utterly useless?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

@MacaesBruno

I don't think that's true. That would be an extraordinary proportion of the 125,000 people massed on the borders. Even 10,000 people killed, captured or injured would be very serious attrition.
    I thought that it was 200,000?

Fwiw we can pretty comfortably say that at least 7,000ish Russians are out of action for the war.

If we halve US estimated dead (5000 -> 2500), Ukrainian declared PoWs (2000 -> 1000), we're already half way there to 7k.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,075
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I have to come on here to apologise for inadvertently misleading PB when I posted yesterday that a Ukrainian woman had downed a Russian drone with a jar of gherkins. This was wrong, she downed it with a jar of picked tomatoes.

Details here:

That might be the best correction since Sky Sports News apologised to David Goodwillie for calling him a racist, they wanted to correct the record and tell the world that David Goodwillie was in fact a rapist.

'Lord Armstrong said: "In the result, therefore, I find that in the early hours of Sunday 2 January 2011, at the flat in Greig Crescent, Armadale, both defenders (the footballers) took advantage of the pursuer when she was vulnerable through an excessive intake of alcohol and, because her cognitive functioning and decision-making processes were so impaired, was incapable of giving meaningful consent; and that they each raped her."'
    Very much so!

I doubt they’re likely to sue anyone anytime soon, but we should be very careful when talking about such civil cases.

I see and respect point you are making. Still doubt you are correct in arguing that Goodwillie can NOT be called a rapist, even though a legal judgement has been rendered that declares him to be exactly that.

It has been shown on the balance of probabilities that he is a rapist. It has not been shown beyond a reasonable doubt. It really is that simple. For BRD corroboration is required. There wasn’t any. For BP that Is not required.

Believe me, the test for prosecution for rape is as low as it can be. If there is a “technical sufficiency “ it’s a go. There wasn’t.
    To pick one thread out of this tangle (legal, semantic, media code of practice, epistemological etc)

You, Y, say that X is a burglar on the basis that a civil court has has found him so on the civil standard of balance of probabilities. It's a free speech country and you can do so.

X's recourse is to sue you in defamation, which is a civil action, and where once again the standard of proof is balance of probabilities. The pliantiff has to prove.

For Y to succeed he shows that on b of p X is a burglar. Which a civil court has already done. It's a res judicata.

NB Corroboration in rape is not required in English law. Though it helps. Scots law is different.

For me, it's more that the statement "X is a burglar" implies "X is a convicted burglar". And on the balance of probabilities, that's a slam dunk win for X.
    Maybe. Good luck with that argument. And don't tell the Daily Mail or they may have to publish an apology to some men they called murderers.

FWIW for the statement "X is a burglar" to be true requires only that that X is a burglar. Any old 'justified true belief' (good old Plato) is quite sufficient. Lots of people do lots of evils without going near a conviction.

What about "Z is Russian and is a child murderer and baby killer who invades countries on a false claim forcing millions into exile"

On your basis I can't say that. But I can.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,461
    Applicant said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Details here:

Very much so!

So (assuming I'm understanding your last sentence correctly) a criminal conviction in Goodwoodie case would have been (theoretically) possible in England, but NOT in Scotland, due to lack of corroboration?

And (regardless of above) it is legally correct to call Goodwoodie a rapist guilty of committing rape?
    1) If there was sufficient evidence in general but not corroborated; yes (unless my hazy Scots law is out of date)

2) It is neither correct nor incorrect. To so describe him makes a statement, one which is prima facie libellous but which you are allowed to say, it being a free speech country, subject to being sued in defamation. (As when the Daily Mail described several young men as killers in a notorious murder case even though they had not been convicted. They never sued).

When it comes to the actual, objective, relationship of words and contestable facts of course God alone knows, and even God is sometimes unsure.

That was the Stephen Lawrence case, was it not?
    Yes, didn't the Mail think that it was the best way to get a court case of some description? I suspect the Mail were happy that it didn't come to that.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    rcs1000 said:

China?
    Putin would applying to join NATO if that happened!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,505
    Cicero said:

Belarus is a fascinating domino to fall.

I wonder if we will start seeing insurgents there armed with Javelins and NLAWs. Disrupted supply lines through Belarus would be the obvious next step for Ukrainian special forces.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    There's a video out by 'History with Hilbert' about the Ukrainian International Brigades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY1vZTpk4s4

Apparently there are now 20,000 people who have volatierd to fight, from around the would. (and this will not include people who have made there own way there)

5m20s in he has a slide with where the people come form, by his own admition there has been no official braked down of how many but he has pieced together bits that have been reported some of which may not be accurate.

non the less the UK is by some margin the biggest. 52 nations in total.

UK 6,000
    US 3,000
    Fr 1,000
    Brazil 500
    Sweden 400

all others less than that.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,032

MattW said:

Boris signalling a review of UK energy supply and in particular the granting of licences for UK own oil and gas development

Cambo ?

Do we have any current fields that are not producing?

A good help for the economy in 2023/4, perhaps?
    I do not know but it looks like Boris is signalling that oil and gas will be developed in the UK as a transition process
    Excellent news. And as part of this review, let's hope @MarqueeMark finally gets his tidal lagoons. The time is now.
    Or 'the TIDE is now'. :lol: Free slogan. #thetideisnow #notidelikethepresent #stoptidewasting
  • Options
    eek said:

Home Office

I am only quoting the Home Office figures just released

I expect the approvals to rise rapidly but if not then Patel must go
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

China?
    Are they?

I mean, they probably wanted a quick win for Russia, followed by the World basically accepting that Russia had the right to do what they wanted in Ukraine. I.e., a blueprint for Taiwan.

But now they've discovered a few things: (1) the West is a lot more united than they thought, and that would make invading Taiwan a lot harder; (2) defenders with modern weapons have a lot of advantages. And Russia doesn't even have to cross 150 miles of ocean; (3) high commodity prices are bad for China; and (4) an irradiated world is also bad for China.

Now... they have Russia moving onto UnionPay (yay). But overall the war is not good for China. They want a rich, prosperous and quiet West, which leaves them the hegemon in the Far East.
    Worth noting (3) high commodity prices - especially oil - also terrible for the Indian economy.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,005

Home Office

So, 250 per day gives us 1250 in a working week. Thus the 17,700 will be cleared in around three months...best to just settle in the EU.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,461
    algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Details here:

Very much so!

For me, it's more that the statement "X is a burglar" implies "X is a convicted burglar". And on the balance of probabilities, that's a slam dunk win for X.
    Maybe. Good luck with that argument. And don't tell the Daily Mail or they may have to publish an apology to some men they called murderers.

FWIW for the statement "X is a burglar" to be true requires only that that X is a burglar. Any old 'justified true belief' (good old Plato) is quite sufficient. Lots of people do lots of evils without going near a conviction.

What about "Z is Russian and is a child murderer and baby killer who invades countries on a false claim forcing millions into exile"

I honestly have no idea what would happen, but I'm not sure if it would be as simple as the person saying "X is a burglar" to point to the result of another civil case. It might require the whole thing to be gone through again with another judge making a ruling.
  • Options

MattW said:

Boris signalling a review of UK energy supply and in particular the granting of licences for UK own oil and gas development

Cambo ?

I do not know but it looks like Boris is signalling that oil and gas will be developed in the UK as a transition process
    Excellent news. And as part of this review, let's hope @MarqueeMark finally gets his tidal lagoons. The time is now.
    I would be delighted
  • Options

eek said:

Home Office

We’ve already had nearly 2 weeks
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,522
    Chameleon said:

@MacaesBruno

Using the central US estimate of 5,000 dead I could see there being up to 30,000 out of action Russians. However we have really low visibility into what state the Russians are in outside of a few areas.
    and so do the Russians, according to that FSB "leaked report".
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,204

Home Office

So, 250 per day gives us 1250 in a working week. Thus the 17,700 will be cleared in around three months...best to just settle in the EU.
    What odds are you offering on the rate staying the same?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,395
    FF43 said:

@MacaesBruno

Which would be half of all soldiers sent. 🤔
    Unless "lost" includes "misplaced in the vicinity of Sumy" I doubt it
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,075
    tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Details here:

Very much so!

I honestly have no idea what would happen, but I'm not sure if it would be as simple as the person saying "X is a burglar" to point to the result of another civil case. It might require the whole thing to be gone through again with another judge making a ruling.
    The point of judgements is to bring finality. It is generally an abuse of process to seek to relitigate a matter (res judicata) by a sideways action.

• Options

Home Office

I expect it will be a lot quicker than that
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1500942046009438208

#Ukraine: We present some exclusive recent footage from the eyes of the Bayraktar TB2 drone in the hands of the Ukrainian military.

A 9K317 Buk-M2 TELAR, part of the infamous convoy, completely destroyed.

Once cloud cover dissipates we'll get some nice high res imagery of the remnants of the convoy.
  • Options

Home Office

So that's 250 visas issued today. Do we know how many applications were processed today?

Did they process 1,000 applications today and reject 750 of them for missing proof of address, etc?

More than 450 Ukrainians arrived into Ireland in the last day, so 250 visas issued is falling further behind even more remote from Ukraine Ireland. And there was the story earlier today that a visa granted doesn't even guarantee entry into the country.

It's a stain on the country's reputation.
  • Options

MattW said:

Cambo ?

Or 'the TIDE is now'. :lol: Free slogan. #thetideisnow #notidelikethepresent #stoptidewasting
    I ebbsolutely agree.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Home Office

It only came into place on friday
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    How many senior Russian Military and Political figures is it possible for the West to have contact details for? It must be a good number.

Every senior Military and Political person should be imformed that they are accused of charges of war crimes and genocide, which have been lodged against them in Den Hague.

International task forces will search them out and see that in time they stand trial and judgement for the crimes they are accused of.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,315
    edited March 2022
    Lots of sensible people think a no fly zone is not the way to go, but if anyone could provoke people into thinking it is a good one it is the stop the war coalition - what a bunch of douchbags. As this bloke notes, their statements seem principally focused on it being wrong to help Ukraine defend itself.

Latest email from Stop the War calls for Ukraine not to be armed, and for there not to be sanctions as these "inflame the situation". Basically just a call for Russia to win, accompanied by half-heartedly asking them to withdraw. Here's the text:

https://twitter.com/lukeakehurst/status/1500886096640712711?cxt=HHwWjoC96f38m9QpAAAA

It couldn't be more obvious that the Russian withdrawal request is in their on sufference. Can't let anything get in the way of NATO bashing, not even proof NATO is needed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cambo ?

I ebbsolutely agree.
    Mark has floated the idea many times but it's proved dam difficult to get a fair hearing.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Home Office

Which in itself shows how shockingly inept this government is.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,999
    Does anyone have the view the war is going to plan for Russia?

Oh - and deary me Everton. They are going to get relegated
  • Options

MattW said:

Cambo ?

No #thetidehasturned? Come on!
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Home Office

But was announced early last week..

Frankly it’s embarrassing
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,218
    eek said:

Home Office

Well...

Ireland (population just over 5 million) has taken around 1800 refugees as of Monday morning.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/ireland-prepares-to-welcome-thousands-of-ukrainian-refugees-41420987.html

Even if and when all those UK visa applications are approved and nobody else goes to Ireland, that leaves the UK taking in fewer refugees for the size of the host country (the Uk is about 13 times larger). That's how miserable the UK's response in this part of the crisis has been.

Guess what? If people are desparate to get out of a hellhole, they would rather go somewhere where they don't have to jump through an extra hoop, which is what the UK is currently demanding.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Cicero said:

I wonder if we will start seeing insurgents there armed with Javelins and NLAWs. Disrupted supply lines through Belarus would be the obvious next step for Ukrainian special forces.
    If Russia wins the war, or succeeds in its aims, presumably Belarus gets to be a Russian puppet state for as long as Putin and his cohorts live. Hard to imagine Lukashenko is thrilled at the prospect, let alone his people, after 20+ years as its autocrat. He likes being a proper head of state, not minor potentate like Kadyrov.
  • Options

The best explanation I've heard so far (that says it is) is that Putin wants to destroy so much, that there's mass displacement of Ukrainians, to be replaced by Russians (goodness only knows why they'd want to), thus 'solving' the issue.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,827

Cicero said:

Ukraine has amongst its international brigades a unit of Free Belarusians, flying the red and white flag. Perfect for the task.

• Options
    kle4 said:

MattW said:

Cambo ?

No #thetidehasturned? Come on!
    Let's hope it has!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cambo ?

I ebbsolutely agree.
    Mark has floated the idea many times but it's proved dam difficult to get a fair hearing.
    But it will spring up one day.

Good night.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,048

The best explanation I've heard so far (that says it is) is that Putin wants to destroy so much, that there's mass displacement of Ukrainians, to be replaced by Russians (goodness only knows why they'd want to), thus 'solving' the issue.
    Straight out of Stalin's playbook
  • Options
    Question: Assuming some clear skies, comprehensive satellite imagery and a significant amount of image processing, is it not plausible that NATO and therefore Ukraine know exactly how many Russian vehicles are destroyed, damaged, out of fuel / abandoned?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Very poor.

The Ukrainians seem to be fleeing with their pets and the Poles are letting them in.

So no excuse for Trudi Harrison not to pull her finger out and reply. She's probably waiting for the government to come up with a refugee policy. Did the same with Cummings. Took ages to reply and then regurgitated a govt press release.

Am most unimpressed.

There are quite a few families here who are descendants of Czechs and Jews who fled Stalinism and fascism last time it showed its ugly face. A load of donations was collected last weekend at the local theatre and is on its way east.
  • Options

eek said:

Home Office

Well...

Ireland (population just over 5 million) has taken around 1800 refugees as of Monday morning.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/republic-of-ireland/ireland-prepares-to-welcome-thousands-of-ukrainian-refugees-41420987.html

Even if and when all those UK visa applications are approved and nobody else goes to Ireland, that leaves the UK taking in fewer refugees for the size of the host country (the Uk is about 13 times larger). That's how miserable the UK's response in this part of the crisis has been.

Guess what? If people are desparate to get out of a hellhole, they would rather go somewhere where they don't have to jump through an extra hoop, which is what the UK is currently demanding.
    I am somewhat reminded of when the Government were getting soundly tongue-lashed for the lack of PPE, only to 'cut through all the red tape' and now get lashed at the other end for lack of due diligence and paying over the odds.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,096
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Details here:

Yes, it is a meaningful distinction

Let's play a mindgame. Let's say you, Dr Foxy, are unjustly accused of rape, and you are keen to defend yourself in court, so you can clear yourself of this vile accusation. Not fun being called "a rapist", after all

You have faith in the British jury system and you are confident there is NO WAY the Crown can prove, "beyond all reasonable doubt" that you, Foxy, are a RAPIST

But wait! The Crown realises its case against you is weak, so it drops the case. All good?

No! A civil case is made against you, there is no proper trial, just a hearing, with no jury, and a judge decides "on the balance of probabilities" that YOU, Foxy are A RAPIST. What is the balance of probabilities? Are you 52% rapist, 48% not? A bit like Brexit? Who knows. Who cares! PB has decided

There is no meaningful distinction, in your eyes. So without any jury trial, and any proper criminal procedure, you, Foxy, have become A RAPIST

Enjoy
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Home Office

Perhaps Ukrainian war refugees should have had the foresight (and wherewithal) to donate to the Conservative Party?

Which (based on available evidence) would have quickened the pace for them at the Home Office?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,005
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

Is that figure correct?

When I moved from Birmingham to Ledbury in 1976 I was stunned to find teenagers who had never left Herefordshire.

(In later life, Leavers, one and all)
    That actually does slightly surprise me given how close it is to the county boundary. I would have thought they would have made it as far as Bromsberrow or particularly Preston Cross once in a while.
    Bear in mind this was almost 50 years ago. Why would they need to go to Preston Cross or Bromesberrow? And don't forget Herefordians are not allowed over the Camp to Great Malvern or Worcester. A bus or train to Hereford is as sophisticated a transportation system as some needed. It is true the more adventurous took the bus to Gloucester.

I recall having a pint in the Oak at Much Marcle in the early 90s and overhearing a fellow drinker who had just moved back home to Marcle after years away. So from where had this galavanting traveller returned. New York, Paris, London or Cheltenham? No, Dymock.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,096
    kle4 said:

Lots of sensible people think a no fly zone is not the way to go, but if anyone could provoke people into thinking it is a good one it is the stop the war coalition - what a bunch of douchbags. As this bloke notes, their statements seem principally focused on it being wrong to help Ukraine defend itself.

Latest email from Stop the War calls for Ukraine not to be armed, and for there not to be sanctions as these "inflame the situation". Basically just a call for Russia to win, accompanied by half-heartedly asking them to withdraw. Here's the text:

https://twitter.com/lukeakehurst/status/1500886096640712711?cxt=HHwWjoC96f38m9QpAAAA

It couldn't be more obvious that the Russian withdrawal request is in their on sufference. Can't let anything get in the way of NATO bashing, not even proof NATO is needed.

God, I hate them. I want to do them an inuiry

At this point Stop The War are basically Lord Haw Haw, on Twittah
  • Options

Question: Assuming some clear skies, comprehensive satellite imagery and a significant amount of image processing, is it not plausible that NATO and therefore Ukraine know exactly how many Russian vehicles are destroyed, damaged, out of fuel / abandoned?

I think there are lots of reasons why it could be hard to tell, but I'm sure they would have a better idea than the Russians seem to have.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Not only would insurrection in Belarus disrupt Russian supply lines, it may be a country Putin cares more about than Ukraine.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    tlg86 said:

Is that figure correct?

Interestingly, the American passport figure has gone up quite a lot since the mid-90s:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42586638

There is a myth, found easily online, that only 10% of Americans have passports.

While that was true in 1994, the figure now is more than 40% - and it grows every year.
    That's because before 9/11 you only needed a birth certificate and photo ID like a driver's license to cross the US/Canadian border (if you were American or Canadian of course). Now Americans and Canadians need one of a US or Canadian passport, US passport card (which is effectively only valid for the US/Canadian border), some "trusted traveler cards" such as a NEXUS card, or an "enhanced" driver's license which is a DL some US border states and Canadian border provinces issue that verifies their respective citizenship. I happen to have an EDL, not because I go to Canada much, but because I naturalized under the Trump administration and I wanted a proof of US citizenship I could carry in my wallet.

To add, the above is by land or sea only. If you want to fly between the US and Canada you need a full passport.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Is that figure correct?

When I moved from Birmingham to Ledbury in 1976 I was stunned to find teenagers who had never left Herefordshire.

(In later life, Leavers, one and all)
    That actually does slightly surprise me given how close it is to the county boundary. I would have thought they would have made it as far as Bromsberrow or particularly Preston Cross once in a while.
    Bear in mind this was almost 50 years ago. Why would they need to go to Preston Cross or Bromesberrow? And don't forget Herefordians are not allowed over the Camp to Great Malvern or Worcester. A bus or train to Hereford is as sophisticated a transportation system as some needed. It is true the more adventurous took the bus to Gloucester.

I recall having a pint in the Oak at Much Marcle in the early 90s and overhearing a fellow drinker who had just moved back home to Marcle after years away. So from where had this galavanting traveller returned. New York, Paris, London or Cheltenham? No, Dymock.
    I hope he felt a right Charlie!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cicero said:

If Russia wins the war, or succeeds in its aims, presumably Belarus gets to be a Russian puppet state for as long as Putin and his cohorts live. Hard to imagine Lukashenko is thrilled at the prospect, let alone his people, after 20+ years as its autocrat. He likes being a proper head of state, not minor potentate like Kadyrov.
    In the victory essay all signs pointed towards Belarus being subsumed into fascist Russia.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Details here:

Let's play a mindgame. Let's say you, Dr Foxy, are unjustly accused of rape, and you are keen to defend yourself in court, so you can clear yourself of this vile accusation. Not fun being called "a rapist", after all

You have faith in the British jury system and you are confident there is NO WAY the Crown can prove, "beyond all reasonable doubt" that you, Foxy, are a RAPIST

But wait! The Crown realises its case against you is weak, so it drops the case. All good?

No! A civil case is made against you, there is no proper trial, just a hearing, with no jury, and a judge decides "on the balance of probabilities" that YOU, Foxy are A RAPIST. What is the balance of probabilities? Are you 52% rapist, 48% not? A bit like Brexit? Who knows. Who cares! PB has decided

There is no meaningful distinction, in your eyes. So without any jury trial, and any proper criminal procedure, you, Foxy, have become A RAPIST

Enjoy
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Details here:

Enjoy
    So is OJ Simpson not a killer?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,559
    rpjs said:

tlg86 said:

Is that figure correct?

Interestingly, the American passport figure has gone up quite a lot since the mid-90s:

There is a myth, found easily online, that only 10% of Americans have passports.

While that was true in 1994, the figure now is more than 40% - and it grows every year.
    That's because before 9/11 you only needed a birth certificate and photo ID like a driver's license to cross the US/Canadian border (if you were American or Canadian of course). Now Americans and Canadians need one of a US or Canadian passport, US passport card (which is effectively only valid for the US/Canadian border), some "trusted traveler cards" such as a NEXUS card, or an "enhanced" driver's license which is a DL some US border states and Canadian border provinces issue that verifies their respective citizenship. I happen to have an EDL, not because I go to Canada much, but because I naturalized under the Trump administration and I wanted a proof of US citizenship I could carry in my wallet.

To add, the above is by land or sea only. If you want to fly between the US and Canada you need a full passport.
    What do they do in Point Bob these days I wonder?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

The torturous logic they employ to return to their eternal position is painful. Thank heavens no one significant is backing them now.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,276
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Actually depending how you read that STW war statement and the punctuation, I reckon it could be read as "Russia to withdraw" and then we carry on campaigning for UKr not to have weapons and we carry on campaing for no expansion of NATO.

Frankly, that's a deal. RU fucks off home and then we sit around and drink tea and argue forthrightly that Ukr should not have too many guns.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,118
    Foxy said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Very poor.

Indeed.
    https://twitter.com/uaarmy_animals
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    dixiedean said:

rpjs said:

tlg86 said:

Is that figure correct?

What do they do in Point Bob these days I wonder?
    For day-to-day stuff they probably use EDLs I should think. For much of the pandemic it was cut off from the rest of CONUS because the border was closed. IIRC they had to start an emergency ferry service. Hyder, Alaska was in similar bind for a short while before the US and Canada saw sense and decided to treat it as de facto part of Canada for pandemic purposes.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Actually depending how you read that STW war statement and the punctuation, I reckon it could be read as "Russia to withdraw" and then we carry on campaigning for UKr not to have weapons and we carry on campaing for no expansion of NATO.

Frankly, that's a deal. RU fucks off home and then we sit around and drink tea and argue forthrightly that Ukr should not have too many guns.

I don't think that reading makes a great deal of sense given both their past history, and that the latter part involves things that happen or would happen concurrent with the invasion - it ends with talk of no fly zones escalating the war, which wouldn't make sense if that part was 'after' a withdrawal.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

tlg86 said:

Is that figure correct?

Yes. Half century ago when my family traveled to Niagara Falls, Ontario, only need a drivers license (my Dad's) to cross the border.

Cheney administration fucked THAT up, IMHO, by NOT negotiating a binational security zone with Canada after 911.
  • Options

Home Office

However quick it is from this point on, it is still bloody embarrassing. Are you not ashamed of your country for behaving in this way. Because I am.
    I am not at all impressed, but at the same time we must have some control to ensure genuine Ukrainians are allowed into the UK and of course all genuine applicants should be allowed sanctuary quickly

It is interesting to hear labour are in not in favour of allowing immigration from Ukraine without verification of status
  • Options
    Someone who has previously been reliable pre-invasion reports:
    "Trusted contacts in Russia are telling that 🇷🇺 Western Military District has lost 1200 officers in 🇺🇦 since the beginning of war.
    dead + injured + prisoners = 1200 officers"
    https://twitter.com/VDV_Textbooks/status/1500758281983254528

Russia doesn't have as many NCOs are the west, but you're still looking at maybe a multiplier of 10 to get all ranks losses, add in losses from other military districts and you're up in the 20-30k range.
  • Options

These people, who as far as I know are independent, claim to have identified half of the enemy losses announced by Ukraine from photo evidence, on quite strict criteria

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html?m=1
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Details here:

Enjoy
    Foxy is a man, so by definition is a rapist.
  • Options

Home Office

However quick it is from this point on, it is still bloody embarrassing. Are you not ashamed of your country for behaving in this way. Because I am.
    I am not at all impressed, but at the same time we must have some control to ensure genuine Ukrainians are allowed into the UK and of course all genuine applicants should be allowed sanctuary quickly

It is interesting to hear labour are in not in favour of allowing immigration from Ukraine without verification of status
    Verification of status isn’t difficult

Do you have a Ukrainian passport?
    Are you not a male aged between 18 and 60?

What more do we need?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

This thread is as finished as Macron's challengers' chances.

• Options

I think that is a near certainty
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,109
    This thread had been Putinized
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Foxy said:

Cicero said:

Ukraine has amongst its international brigades a unit of Free Belarusians, flying the red and white flag. Perfect for the task.

I don't know how big, brave or skilled the Free Belarusian Brigade is, but if they infiltrated back in to Belorussia and sabotaged a few railway bridges, that would serisoly mess up the already fragile Russian Logistics.
  • Options

Home Office

Why must we, when the rest of Europe has decided it doesn't need to?

It's wrong.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,885
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

@MacaesBruno

I don't believe it. If they'd lost half that I feel like Putin would have had a much harder time keeping a lid on things.
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Is that figure correct?

A great many of our beaches are not worth going to.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bit of shingle or mud flat as much as the next man, but they'd not as much fun laze about on.
    Rock pooling or fossilised for fossils on the Isle of Wight is a pleasure in life that no-one should miss. Much more fun than pickling your liver in the tropics.
    Here is your three minutes of seaside calm, in troubled times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4KkasYlhG8
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Someone who has previously been reliable pre-invasion reports:
    "Trusted contacts in Russia are telling that 🇷🇺 Western Military District has lost 1200 officers in 🇺🇦 since the beginning of war.
    dead + injured + prisoners = 1200 officers"
    https://twitter.com/VDV_Textbooks/status/1500758281983254528

Russia doesn't have as many NCOs are the west, but you're still looking at maybe a multiplier of 10 to get all ranks losses, add in losses from other military districts and you're up in the 20-30k range.

In that thread it does suggest that the number includes NCOs, which makes it more plausible.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,118
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

China?
    Are they?

The Chinese are fairly patient.
    Western sanction mean Russia might have nowhere to turn but them for trade, technology and finance. That might mean cheap Russian commodity prices for them.

A China with a subservient Russian partner might be significantly less vulnerable to western sanctions. And would present huge problems for its enemy India.

If Putin gets deposed, it might be a problem for them; if Putin, or a like minded replacement stays in power, then it’s a opportunity.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,468

Been out the loop parts of today, but has it been confirmed about the attack on the Russian helicopters that took out 30 of them?

There was confirmation that the helicopters were there, and there was a video that purported to show a series of explosions at the airfield from a distance.

Not sure if there's been more since that.
    I saw somewhere that there had been the same claim at the same airfield last Friday as well