Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the betting, the money goes on Putin surviving – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,627
    Taz said:

Foxy said:

GOP whacko jobs just get worse:

Wendy Rogers
    @WendyRogersAZ
    ·
    9h
    I nominate President Trump to broker a truce between Zelensky and Putin. We don’t want World War III.

Perhaps not a completely daft choice. Trump is one of Putins few remaining friends, so might have some influence.
    She has posted some pretty wacky stuff recently about this whole issue.
    I'm thinking get these guys together + freak accident?

"World stunned - Trump/Putin peace talks end when both men were run over by a stampeding rhinoceros. On the *ceiling* of the meeting room...."
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Leon said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/AlexandreKrausz/status/1498034918785531919

A Senior Advisor the the EU: 'Flying in #Ukraine skies within the hour.' In response to "EU countries will provide 'fighter jets' to Ukraine under Brussels funding: Borrell".

That 3.5 mile convoy looking mighty unsafe all of a sudden.

I simply do not believe that the EU will send fighter jets for combat against Russian jets over Ukraine, tomorrow

It is pathetic, delusional EU nonsense, and if it happens the EU will get Putin threatening fire and brimstone over Brussels. Who will fly these planes? From where? How? When? Why?

The EU is posturing. The willpower is not there. Probably for the best as it could kick off WW3
    Ukrainian jets flown by Ukrainian pilots (hence the flights out to Poland yesterday). It's fair game.
  • Options
    I want to know if foxy is buying the open tomorrow...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chameleon said:

A Senior Advisor the the EU: 'Flying in #Ukraine skies within the hour.' In response to "EU countries will provide 'fighter jets' to Ukraine under Brussels funding: Borrell".

I simply do not believe that the EU will send fighter jets for combat against Russian jets over Ukraine, tomorrow

It is pathetic, delusional EU nonsense, and if it happens the EU will get Putin threatening fire and brimstone over Brussels. Who will fly these planes? From where? How? When? Why?

The EU is posturing. The willpower is not there. Probably for the best as it could kick off WW3
    My guess is the Poles are handing over their Mig-29s, probably will announce getting F-35 early and in greater numbers. After this is over.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

This is as close to NATO v Russia air warfare as we can get before the RAF are over Lviv.

As you all know, I'm quite hawkish on this stuff but given Putin had lost it, I wonder how wise it is.

I think we should help the Ukrainians as quietly as possible. All this trumpeting of it by the EU, followed by a Highway of Death scenario, might push him over the edge.
    This is the worry. We can sit here and appreciate the finer distinctions of everything bar NATO troops getting involved as being sufficient to keep us out of war, but I doubt Putin is spending a lot of time mentally separating the gradations involved here.

We might be getting to the 50-50 stage where a massive Russian financial system collapse either brings Putin to an end or is the final trigger for WWIII.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Apparently Ukrainian pilots landed in less useful planes in Poland yesterday. They've had a kip and are flying back in the Polish Migs.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Do some people really think that the difference between Putin deciding to destroy the world or not is really going to come down to the technicalities of NATO membership?

Had Ukraine not tried to join NATO Putin would likely not have invaded it in the first place.

NATO should not have tried to absorb the old nations of the USSR
    You're on the wrong side.
    It's also stupid. Putin has said time and again he wants to re-establish a greater Russian empire. He's said Ukraine isn't a real country. Sovereignty is whatever he decides it is when he feels like it. Did Zelensky going on about Nato membership push him over the edge? Possibly. But the fundamental problem was always there. He demands submission. Ukrainians will never submit to his rule.
    Exactly right.
    The only stable outcomes of this situation involve Putin not being in power.

Do explain how we get there ... preferably without very significant loss of life.

As far as I can see, the options suggested by pb.com are (1) a palace coup by those surrounding him, (2) assassination by the West somehow, (3) massive uprising by the Russian population.

None of these look likely in the short term. (1) and (2) are unquantifiable in terms of probability, but if they are tried and fail ... I shudder to think of the consequences.

Optimistically, (3) is maybe possible on the timescale of ~ months if things go very badly in Russia.
    I do not advocate an outside power doing it (2). Let me be totally clear on that.

Beyond that, I don't really care. I don't necessarily think it's likely in the short term either.
    There would be a visceral thrill in (3) happening. I do like a good pro-democracy revolution, but I'd like to know it would succeed before I got excited about one beginning. Failed revolutions tend to be very, very unhappy events indeed.
    The ideal would seem to be (1). Putin is shuffled into a very small room indeed, and a reform-minded person takes over and shifts Russia towards a more sensible stance. That's a reasonable hope.
    Ok, well now let's look at the fall of past dictators to get an idea of probabilities.

How many fell through a place coup?

I can't think of any, but there may be some. Hitler survived place coups. Idi Amin survived.

Mugabe possibly was removed from office by this method, but he wasn't killed ... he left with Grace & his money.

Gaddafi, Ceausescu, Honecker, Mobutu, Amin .. they all fell in mass uprisings.

Palace coups are very rare. It is a hope, but I would not give it a high probability.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

rcs1000 said:

PJohnson said:

Looking to be a chaotic open on financial markets tomorrow...has the west miscalculated

Small bet time:

If the S&P is down more percentage-wise than the MOEX on Monday, then you win. Otherwise, I win.

Shall we say £10?

Winner pays out in roubles?
    Forget your roubles. Come on get happy ......
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

PJohnson said:

Dow futures down 600 points now...market obviously thinks putin is winning....

I am so glad you are here posting the truth. The scales have fallen from my eyes and I see how I have been misled and lied to all these years. I have no doubt that, single-handedly, you will bring about the defeat of the west!
    FTSE futures seem to be up significantly, unless i'm misreading something.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

This is as close to NATO v Russia air warfare as we can get before the RAF are over Lviv.

As you all know, I'm quite hawkish on this stuff but given Putin had lost it, I wonder how wise it is.

I think we should help the Ukrainians as quietly as possible. All this trumpeting of it by the EU, followed by a Highway of Death scenario, might push him over the edge.
    Yes. I'm not quite sure where this hawkishness is coming from, unless MI6, the CIA and other intelligence agencies have unquestionable information that his regime is definitively teetering now. That could very well be.
  • Options
    @Leon grow a non-carved-from-flint pair.

This is the fight for democracy.
  • Options
    Great from Neil Oliver saying the west should share blame for what is happening in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1497664641966780416?s=20&t=tvnr3s09m1_VDWtlRPOx_Q
  • Options
    alex_ said:

PJohnson said:

I am so glad you are here posting the truth. The scales have fallen from my eyes and I see how I have been misled and lied to all these years. I have no doubt that, single-handedly, you will bring about the defeat of the west!
    I trust you more than some Russian bot :)
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Do some people really think that the difference between Putin deciding to destroy the world or not is really going to come down to the technicalities of NATO membership?

Had Ukraine not tried to join NATO Putin would likely not have invaded it in the first place.

It's also stupid. Putin has said time and again he wants to re-establish a greater Russian empire. He's said Ukraine isn't a real country. Sovereignty is whatever he decides it is when he feels like it. Did Zelensky going on about Nato membership push him over the edge? Possibly. But the fundamental problem was always there. He demands submission. Ukrainians will never submit to his rule.
    Exactly right.
    For all HYUFD goes on about realpolitik, he's basically defending the position of a man whose approach to international relations is to spread propaganda about gays and Jews corrupting the West and how Russia is the last bastion of Christian purity. I mean, if that's not a moral crusade, and a lunatic one too, then what is? Realpolitik and Putin are polar opposites.

HYUFD is really all over the place here. He has no idea, absolutely no fucking clue at all, what he's talking about and it's kind of embarrassing to see it. I normally take pleasure in shooting his stupider arguments out of the barrel, but honestly, this Putinist turn is just a bit sad and tawdry.
    I wish I could pretend surprise at his attitude but considering his past views on democracy, and some of his views on religion/morals I'm not remotely surprised he's sympathetic to Putin.

I'm not sure he finds the notion of Christian purity etc as off-putting as you and I do.

Night all, play nice with each other!

Aha! HYFUD is reincaration of Madame von Krüdener (I claim my £5)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_von_Krüdener
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,804

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

My guess is the Poles are handing over their Mig-29s, probably will announce getting F-35 early and in greater numbers. After this is over.
    Like @Leon I can't imagine that this is true.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Foxy said:

GOP whacko jobs just get worse:

Wendy Rogers
    @WendyRogersAZ
    ·
    9h
    I nominate President Trump to broker a truce between Zelensky and Putin. We don’t want World War III.

Perhaps not a completely daft choice. Trump is one of Putins few remaining friends, so might have some influence.
    I think Zelensky thinks a bit less fondly of Trump.
    Or have we all forgotten why Trump was impeached the first time.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,958

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Apparently Ukrainian pilots landed in less useful planes in Poland yesterday. They've had a kip and are flying back in the Polish Migs.
    All starts to make sense.

But where does it stop? Ukrainians in Challenger 2 tanks? RAF pilots resigning and joining a Ukrainian Foreign Legion?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

I think this is both true, and not that big a deal.

The Poles have about 30 MIGs that they are in the process of phasing out and replacing with F16s. They would not be averse to handing them over to the Ukrainians in return for the cash to complete the transition.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

But where does it stop? Ukrainians in Challenger 2 tanks? RAF pilots resigning and joining a Ukrainian Foreign Legion?
    It should stop when Putin has lost.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

I want to know if foxy is buying the open tomorrow...

Suspect he will be too busy saving lives down at his hospital where he has worked throughout the pandemic.

What you been up to in recent months?

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,686

rcs1000 said:

PJohnson said:

Looking to be a chaotic open on financial markets tomorrow...has the west miscalculated

Small bet time:

If the S&P is down more percentage-wise than the MOEX on Monday, then you win. Otherwise, I win.

Shall we say £10?

Does the wheelbarrow get thrown in as well?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited February 2022
    rcs1000 said:

@PJohnson

Just a quick question or two for you: do you just post on PB or do you get assigned other forums as well? And I've noticed a curious change in your writing patterns between 6pm and 11pm - has the body behind the keyboard changed?

Body?

Software update is more likely ;)

BTW, since PB appears to have an element of Wordpress code in it, please make sure all the patches are up to date since WP is the hackers CMS of choice....
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,134
    Ruble down about 20% in early trading in Tokyo.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,216
    Eabhal said:

A column of British challengers just arrived in Estonia I think...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited February 2022
    Daddy, daddy, when you were my age, what did you want to be when you grew up....i wanted to be a scientist or a doctor.....daddy daddy, what do you actually do...i argue for the government with people on an obscure political message board in the West...oh....tear in the eye of what a sad pathetic individual daddy is.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

PJohnson said:

Small bet time:

Shall we say £10?

Does the wheelbarrow get thrown in as well?
    The wheelbarrow will be worth more than its contents.
  • Options

alex_ said:

PJohnson said:

I trust you more than some Russian bot :)
    To be fair DOW is down. Probably a timing thing to do with market close on Friday.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Great from Neil Oliver saying the west should share blame for what is happening in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1497664641966780416?s=20&t=tvnr3s09m1_VDWtlRPOx_Q

I want to challenge you to view it from the opposite side and explain to us how Putin has done things wrong here. Care to tell?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Ruble down about 20% in early trading in Tokyo.

We've barely got started.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032
    edited February 2022
    PJohnson said:

Yep.
    I personally invaded Ukraine.
    The useless idiots are revealing themselves. For all the anti-Corbyn foaming there are tankies on the right too.
    They have some influence on government as well.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

The Poles have about 30 MIGs that they are in the process of phasing out and replacing with F16s. They would not be averse to handing them over to the Ukrainians in return for the cash to complete the transition.
    Flying within the hour?

Maybe, just maybe, flying this week. You'd be insane to get into an unfamiliar plane and fly off to fight.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,216
    Zelensky spoke to VDL about Ukraine becoming a member of the EU. Ukraine was due to apply in 2024 with a view to joining in the 2030s. https://twitter.com/zelenskyyua/status/1498079039235502081
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    alex_ said:

Taz said:

Thread from a NYT journalist on the risk of a nuclear strike and the scenarios.

Worth a read.

https://twitter.com/max_fisher/status/1497971506852220929?s=21

Can't say I find that entirely re-assuring, if I'm honest.

I agree. I worry that too many people are ruling out the possibility that Putin might no longer see the use of nuclear weapons as a purely deterrence measure and/or has lost sight of what the purpose of deterrence means. It is obviously meant as a threat to Russia as a country. But if he has come to see himself and his regime and the embodiment of Russia - one and indivisible then this changes things. It no longer becomes about a threat of NATO invading Russia. It becomes a threat that failure in Ukraine means his downfall. If so, we are at least at the stage where one can contemplate he might give the order. Which then means you need others to step in...
    While we're talking about leaders losing their marbles on a power trip is it true that Liz Truss has suggested we form an International Brigade where British youngsters can go to Ukraine to fight?

Has she been reading Orwell? We need Hartlepool's finest with a load of Kalashnikov like we need a hole in the head.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Sweden sending thousands upon thousands of offensive missiles.
    A major land war in Europe.
    Switzerland implementing financial sanctions.
    Germany increasing defence expenditure by 50% overnight, dismantling all previous Russian foreign policy.
    Paddington bear the leader of the free world.
    Russian ruble more than halving in value overnight.
    The possibility of a nuke being dropped within 200km of 4 different EU memberstates (Lviv makes by far the most sense to target of all Ua cities) being a real prospect.
    Russian trolls targeting PB.

Through the looking glass we go,
    Where the world is in reverse.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

Have made zero secret of personal theory, that Boris Johnson is (another) non-card-carrying Putinist. Whether for love (of power), or money, or God-knows-what, who can say? Likely all of the above in his case, again IMHO.

Response from more than one BJ fan has been to call me (I paraphrase) wrongheaded.

Now another notable supporter of Prime Minister endorses the gist of Putin's argument, in name of (supposed) realpolitik.

Ok, so which is it?

Or, like your Fearless Leader, do you wanna have it all ways? Have your cake, eat it AND bust-up the bakery?

What evidence of Boris actions makes you think this?

Boris is a serial liar and a cheat, a lazy individual who thinks he can wing it and doesn't show any leadership, but AFAIK all the evidence is everything is about Boris career progression / saving his own behind when he has been caught breaking the rules.

I can see how people think Trump is a Putinist, but things like Brexit, Boris calculation was all about his idea backing Leave was best for his career.
    Putin" s made a career cultivating such types as 45 & BJ, for his own ends, either directly or (more usually) indirectly.
    It looks as if Putin's wasted his money, if so.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

They have had time to update them.
    New livery isn't very technical.
  • Options

Jake Cordell
    @JakeCordell
    Luxury brands, jewellery stores and electronics retailers in Moscow say they've been slammed today.

"It's been crazy. Everybody's getting rid of their rubles before tomorrow" one shop assistant told me.

https://twitter.com/JakeCordell/status/1497991248791191552
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

I have Polish friends - the anger from them about Russia and Ukraine is very hard core. Fuck You Russian Warship! is definitely trending there...
  • Options

Long-term lurker, but stepping in now, as I feel this one is dangerous.

Their strategy is not to win the argument, but to poison the argument.

By putting these views out there, it can in turn create discord and disagreement.

I'd encourage the troll to be banned and removed. Don't tolerate it, nor be entertained by it, nor "be stopping other sites being infected by it". Simply remove. Done.

With that I'll go back into lurking.

With 36 posts, you are hardly lurking. A lurker would be in single digits.

Stick around and tell us what you think.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

PJohnson said:

I don't think FTSE futures are open - you're probably seeing Friday's move.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chameleon said:

It looks as though the EU will give Ukraine the money to buy fighter jets…..delivery heaven knows when!
  • Options
    State of Union address in on Tuesday. If Putin goes tonto, he might time it for that...
  • Options
    Looks like Russia are in the World Cup Finals.
    Bit of a reverse from 1974.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Germany increasing defence expenditure by 50% overnight, dismantling all previous Russian foreign policy.
    The possibility of a nuke being dropped within 200km of 4 different EU memberstates (Lviv makes by far the most sense to target of all Ua cities) being a real prospect.

Still, looking on the bright side we now all know the side effects of too much botox and over indulging in the old steroids for that muscle man on a horse look.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Looks like they've already won it by default.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

Flying within the hour?

Maybe, just maybe, flying this week. You'd be insane to get into an unfamiliar plane and fly off to fight.

They both fly the mig29
  • Options

Jake Cordell
    @JakeCordell
    Luxury brands, jewellery stores and electronics retailers in Moscow say they've been slammed today.

"It's been crazy. Everybody's getting rid of their rubles before tomorrow" one shop assistant told me.

There's going to be big protests tomorrow, somewhere in Russia.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Do explain how we get there ... preferably without very significant loss of life.

As far as I can see, the options suggested by pb.com are (1) a palace coup by those surrounding him, (2) assassination by the West somehow, (3) massive uprising by the Russian population.

None of these look likely in the short term. (1) and (2) are unquantifiable in terms of probability, but if they are tried and fail ... I shudder to think of the consequences.

Optimistically, (3) is maybe possible on the timescale of ~ months if things go very badly in Russia.
    I do not advocate an outside power doing it (2). Let me be totally clear on that.

Beyond that, I don't really care. I don't necessarily think it's likely in the short term either.
    There would be a visceral thrill in (3) happening. I do like a good pro-democracy revolution, but I'd like to know it would succeed before I got excited about one beginning. Failed revolutions tend to be very, very unhappy events indeed.
    The ideal would seem to be (1). Putin is shuffled into a very small room indeed, and a reform-minded person takes over and shifts Russia towards a more sensible stance. That's a reasonable hope.
    Ok, well now let's look at the fall of past dictators to get an idea of probabilities.

I can't think of any, but there may be some. Hitler survived place coups. Idi Amin survived.

Mugabe possibly was removed from office by this method, but he wasn't killed ... he left with Grace & his money.

Palace coups are very rare. It is a hope, but I would not give it a high probability.
    The Russians are very good at palace coups. Ideally, such a coup should be almost bloodless, at the point of overthrow.

Anna Leopoldovna, Tsar Peter III, Tsar Paul, and Lavrentiy Beria, all fell victim to such. The overthrow of Ceausescu was more bloody, but essentially involved his own security forces turning on him.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Sean_F said:

Have made zero secret of personal theory, that Boris Johnson is (another) non-card-carrying Putinist. Whether for love (of power), or money, or God-knows-what, who can say? Likely all of the above in his case, again IMHO.

Response from more than one BJ fan has been to call me (I paraphrase) wrongheaded.

Now another notable supporter of Prime Minister endorses the gist of Putin's argument, in name of (supposed) realpolitik.

Ok, so which is it?

Or, like your Fearless Leader, do you wanna have it all ways? Have your cake, eat it AND bust-up the bakery?

What evidence of Boris actions makes you think this?

Boris is a serial liar and a cheat, a lazy individual who thinks he can wing it and doesn't show any leadership, but AFAIK all the evidence is everything is about Boris career progression / saving his own behind when he has been caught breaking the rules.

I can see how people think Trump is a Putinist, but things like Brexit, Boris calculation was all about his idea backing Leave was best for his career.
    Putin" s made a career cultivating such types as 45 & BJ, for his own ends, either directly or (more usually) indirectly.
    It looks as if Putin's wasted his money, if so.
    Trump was incredibly good value for Putin. The US political dysfunction from Trumpism will likely still be poisoning America decades after Putin is dead.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

I don't really understand the theory that if this goes nuclear it is going nuclear on Ukraine. Putin's threats on that are against NATO, I think?

Over-running a post nuclear holocaust Ukraine is hardly a victory worth securing.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,958
    PJohnson said:

See, this makes me think you are an elaborate ruse.

Only an experienced PBer would go for a Neil Oliver vid to wind people up.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

The Russians are very good at palace coups. Ideally, such a coup should be almost bloodless, at the point of overthrow.

Anna Leopoldovna, Tsar Peter III, Tsar Paul, and Lavrentiy Beria, all fell victim to such. The overthrow of Ceausescu was more bloody, but essentially involved his own security forces turning on him.
    Rasputin didn't do too well after a spell at the palace as well.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

I want to challenge you to view it from the opposite side and explain to us how Putin has done things wrong here. Care to tell?
    He won't explain because the Russian case is so weak it doesn't withstand scrutiny. The silence is deafening.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

State of Union address in on Tuesday. If Putin goes tonto, he might time it for that...

Designated survivor time?

• Options

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

I have Polish friends - the anger from them about Russia and Ukraine is very hard core. Fuck You Russia n Warship! is definitely trending there...
    Yeah, but doesn't change the plane thing.

If you have a new car it takes a little feel comfortable. Much more in a plane, much more in a plane in a fight.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

And Khrushchev
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

Flying within the hour?

They both fly the mig29
    The Polish ones have been souped up a bit, IIRC. Plus they have a good stock of spares and missiles, I believe.

Also the Bulgarians fly Mig-29 and Su-25 - the latter would be very welcome in Ukraine, I suspect.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

Rasputin didn't do too well after a spell at the palace as well.
    Beria was one of the most evil men in history, but I can't help wondering at what point did it register that Kruschev's denunciation meant only one thing - the pieces had all been played and he was a living dead man.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

Flying within the hour?

They both fly the mig29
    An airforce is about more than just the aircraft - parts, ammunition, ground teams, infrastructure, pilots.

There is not much point in having 1,000 aircraft if you have 10 pilots and 2 engineers.
  • Options

Jake Cordell
    @JakeCordell

Can't help but think that "luxury brands, jewellery and electronics" signals that the Russian populace are fully aware of the gravity of the situation.

Tins of baked beans might be a better investment.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,026
    PJohnson said:

Do you think the West should be blamed for what's happening in Ukraine?
  • Options

Long-term lurker, but stepping in now, as I feel this one is dangerous.

Their strategy is not to win the argument, but to poison the argument.

By putting these views out there, it can in turn create discord and disagreement.

I'd encourage the troll to be banned and removed. Don't tolerate it, nor be entertained by it, nor "be stopping other sites being infected by it". Simply remove. Done.

With that I'll go back into lurking.

With 36 posts, you are hardly lurking. A lurker would be in single digits.

Stick around and tell us what you think.
    Thanks, I've been following you all for 10 years, just haven't felt qualified to say much till lately - but I love the opinions of a lot of you (I recall a couple years back just before lockdown, someone on the train saw I was viewing this site and asked me - I said yes, and he said he was also a fan). I have posted a few times in the past, but being careful - I don't like seeing this Johnson twat doing this nonsense and I don't think he should divide or anything of that nature.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Still, looking on the bright side we now all know the side effects of too much botox and over indulging in the old steroids for that muscle man on a horse look.
    Seen a bit of roid rage up close and personal.
    Wasn't pretty.
    Though no amateur Rugby League player ever invaded a sovereign country, nor threatened a nuclear first strike to the best of my knowledge.
    Not even in St. Helens or Warrington.
  • Options
    @PJohnson - you're like the Nazis in Raiders and you're digging in the wrong place
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly right.

And Khrushchev
    Yes, indeed, although at least Kruschev escaped with his life.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Putin's Russia has now made 2 out of the 3 Classic Blunders.

1) Land war in AsiaEurope
    2) Spit on the table in front of Elon Musk

Any minute now he's going to go against a Sicilian when death is on the line....
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,334
    The end for Mugabe began when he pissed the military off by sacking his VP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41970317
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

I have Polish friends - the anger from them about Russia and Ukraine is very hard core. Fuck You Russia n Warship! is definitely trending there...
    Yeah, but doesn't change the plane thing.

If you have a new car it takes a little feel comfortable. Much more in a plane, much more in a plane in a fight.

They fly the same planes.
  • Options

@PJohnson - you're like the Nazis in Raiders and you're digging in the wrong place

Don't tell 'im Blanche!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

PJohnson said:

I don't think FTSE futures are open - you're probably seeing Friday's move.
    Ah OK. Sorry.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

Yes. I have sold all my stocks and have converted them into Roubles so that I will grow rich as the Russian economy grows and grows. Thank you for the trading tip!
    The hilarious thing about Russian shills is that they can't stop themselves from pushing every Russian talking point. So he has to simultaneously argue that the Ukrainians should surrender, the West has miscalculated with sanctions and the West is to blame for the invasion. It all just makes it so obvious what a groveling scrote he is. Spinning for such a sad case as Putin is really emasculating. Maybe he has a submission fetish.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Any minute now he's going to go against a Sicilian when death is on the line....
    Nice of the EU to take the focus away from the UK though...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

Flying within the hour?

They both fly the mig29
    The Polish ones have been souped up a bit, IIRC. Plus they have a good stock of spares and missiles, I believe.

Also the Bulgarians fly Mig-29 and Su-25 - the latter would be very welcome in Ukraine, I suspect.
    Polish pilots have a good reputation helping out in wartime.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

Flying within the hour?

They both fly the mig29
    An airforce is about more than just the aircraft - parts, ammunition, ground teams, infrastructure, pilots.

There is not much point in having 1,000 aircraft if you have 10 pilots and 2 engineers.
    I will bet they have mechanics and probably excess pilots. They have been losing aircraft. And probably need spares.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    edited February 2022
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

It feels as though we've gone from expecting Kyiv to fall on day 1, to cheering the plucky Ukrainians on, to all out proxy war, with the Ukrainians being given access to unlimited amounts of Western materiel in a very, very, very short space of time.

I am in favour of giving the Ukrainians whatever they need and if that's Challenger tanks so be it. Putin on the other hand may start to see the levels of western assistance as a provocation, if he hasn't already, and decide to escalate.

Part of me thinks we may be closer to war than we realise. The other part of me thinks that if the markets and the banks collapsing this week don't do for Putin, his own generals will.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,853
    dixiedean said:

Yes, but will anyone play them ?
    Serve FIFA right if they win the whole thing by default.
  • Options
    It's very impressive the way that pretty much every country that counts has piled on against the Russian invasion. It's a refereshing change to see political leaders actually stepping up to the mark.
  • Options
    One thing about the air war in Ukraine. Both sides have planes. But am i right that there haven't been many, if any, direct encounters? Certainly no evidence of dogfights.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    @ForexLive
    A Belarus referendum has voted to allow Russian nuclear weapons to be based in the country

https://twitter.com/ForexLive/status/1498082872644849666
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Chameleon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Nice of the EU to take the focus away from the UK though...
    Inconttttheivable!
  • Options

@ForexLive
    A Belarus referendum has voted to allow Russian nuclear weapons to be based in the country

But i thought their nuclear arsenal was all concentrated in subs? And the others are ICBMs? Why would they need to put them in Belarus?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

Chameleon said:

Flying within the hour?

They both fly the mig29
    Perhaps I'm wrong then. If they're different planes though it is impossible in my view.
  • Options
    Razamov needs to act or die.
    He's not a Tory MP fortunately.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Poland, Bulgaria & Slovaks are in the frame for transfers. The logistics of this and timing though, opaque. It may have occurred already, it may not get off the ground in good time.

I don't think it matters to the Poles whether the EU are in on this or not, they have their own purpose.

Leon may be surprised though, the West, including the continentals, based on connecting the dots with both public information and some estimation, may be getting seriously deep in, up to the balls anyway. . In fact some countries not part of NATO (and I don't mean the Swedes) are involved as well.

Apart from the Italians, who apparently remain remarkably inactive....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,180
    edited February 2022
    Sean_F said:

It's very impressive the way that pretty much every country that counts has piled on against the Russian invasion. It's a refereshing change to see political leaders actually stepping up to the mark.

China and India abstained on the UN Security Council resolution deploring Putin's actions, so not all of them
  • Options
    edited February 2022

@ForexLive

What, out of nowhere at midnight ? I always thought that Lukashenko had a winning way with the crowds, but still..
  • Options

@ForexLive

Lukashenko is as much the enemy as Putin. They both must lose.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,853
    More shelling in Mariupol. Just spoke with my mom. She said goodbye. Her part of town has been evacuated, but she is staying. She said: My life started in poverty and it ends in war. Enjoy peace. Love you all!
    https://twitter.com/AKirilenko_True/status/1497941425400565763
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

China and India abstained on the UN Security Council resolution deploring Putin's actions, so not all of them
    UAE abstrained too.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

One thing about the air war in Ukraine. Both sides have planes. But am i right that there haven't been many, if any, direct encounters? Certainly no evidence of dogfights.

There was a posting yesterday from one of the Eastern cities about some aur combat. It gave the impression the Ukranian plane came out on top but as always there is no way to verify thst
  • Options
    Taz said:

The end for Mugabe began when he pissed the military off by sacking his VP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41970317

It was more about trying to promote his wife as his successor. It was a strange kind of coup.

- Everyone* was AOK with the Big Crocodile continuing to be Chief Thief
    - Everyone was 100% dead against Grace becoming Chief Thief

*In the sense of everyone at the top of Zanu.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:

More shelling in Mariupol. Just spoke with my mom. She said goodbye. Her part of town has been evacuated, but she is staying. She said: My life started in poverty and it ends in war. Enjoy peace. Love you all!

The Greeks are going to hate Putin , or his memory, for decades after this. More Greeks dead.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

So the (at least third) report earlier today that Mariupol had fallen to Russia was still incorrect?
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Poland, Bulgaria & Slovaks are in the frame for transfers. The logistics of this and timing though, opaque. It may have occurred already, it may not get off the ground in good time.

I don't think it matters to the Poles whether the EU are in on this or not, they have their own purpose.

Leon may be surprised though, the West, including the continentals, based on connecting the dots with both public information and some estimation, may be getting seriously deep in, up to the balls anyway. . In fact some countries not part of NATO (and I don't mean the Swedes) are involved as well.

Apart from the Italians, who apparently remain remarkably inactive....
    That's my impression, too.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

@ForexLive

But i thought their nuclear arsenal was all concentrated in subs? And the others are ICBMs? Why would they need to put them in Belarus?
    The Russians have breached the INF treaty to put nuclear warheads on short ranged ballistic missiles - did this a while back. See Kaliningrad. I would expect the weapons in question to be similar.
  • Options
    Nice to see after the end of all COVID restrictions, we went seamlessly back to normal as widely predicted.
This discussion has been closed.