Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Final reminder: PB’s 18th Birthday Party – Wednesday 6.30pm – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    IanB2 said:

Our government is going to be shamed into another u-turn here.

You would hope so, but Priti has been Tweeting all day about the visa application service that isn't offering any visas
  • Options
    TimS said:

BREAKING: Ukrainian presidential adviser says about 3,500 Russian troops have been killed and injured so far in war against Ukraine, @Reuters is reporting.

It's not immediately possible to independently verify such figures

Adviser also says Russian attack on Kyiv isn't advancing

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1497642577260122116

I think the gloves are about to come off with artillery/rocket artillery.

But, I think that just digs an even deeper political hole for Putin.
    I read in the Times or FT that the Russian people were told that this would be a liberation and the people of Ukraine would welcome Russian troops.

Seeing Kyiv razed is going to lead to some awkward questions.
    It will, but Putin is committed now and losing is even worse for him.
    It was easier for him with Grozny, because - let’s be honest - racism. Razing a city of the “other” - Muslims in a far off corner of the empire - of which most Russians knew little other than some truly frightening and real terrorist incidents, is very different from razing a very familiar city of fellow Orthodox Christian Europeans. It may be distasteful, but it plays to Ukraine’s favour.
    Yes, I suspect that's true.
  • Options
    Not sure that saying it doesn’t matter if a picture purporting to be of a current war isn’t actually of that war means we’re in a great place.
    In fact, I am sure; it’s crap.
  • Options

Abramovich could like his daughter have repudiated the war. Instead so far he has tried a manoeuvre to protect his assets from seizure by the U.K.Treasury. He remains owner.

https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/1497656788707164164

He could. I suspect it's that and he's trying to walk a tightrope where he doesn't renounce Putin and the get put on his hitlist.
  • Options

Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa
    Поговорив телефоном із @BorisJohnson. Вдячний британському Прем'єр-міністру за його позицію, нові рішення щодо посилення потужності української армії. Узгодили подальші спільні кроки з протидії агресору.
    https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497661147868278795

I talked on the phone with @BorisJohnson . I am grateful to the British Prime Minister for his position, new decisions to strengthen the capacity of the Ukrainian army. Agreed on further joint steps to counter the aggressor.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

1990s action blockbuster: proposed screenplay.

Working title: “the last laugh”

Plot summary:

A famous comedy actor in an indeterminate European country (played by Tom Hanks, obvs) decides to stand for President, and unexpectedly wins!

Soon he finds himself grappling with a situation he could never have expected as the mad dictator Vlad, president of “The Federation” (Kevin Spacey) decides to launch a terrifying invasion of his country.

He has a choice: to escape to safety, or stay and fight. In this moment of crisis he finds his inner strength. Of course he will fight.

Accompanied by his trusty friends, the former heavyweight boxing champion and now mayor of the capital city (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and former beauty pageant winner now Kalashnikov wielding action heroine (Angelina Jolie) and with the eyes of the world on him including the American President Joe (an aged Clint Eastwood), EU commission President Ursula (Emma Thompson), French President Emmanuel (Omar Sy) and a comedy cameo for UK prime minister Boris (Rowan Atkinson) he sets out to make his date with destiny.

I really hope the ending is Hollywood this time.

Jim Carrey as the Ukrainian President.
    This feels more Hanks than Carrey I think. He’s got the Private Ryan experience too. If he’s not available they could try Hugh Grant.
    Carrey has incredible range.
    Hanks could never play a President with the energy, charisma and determination of Zelensky convincingly.

Come to think of it, it's hard to think of any role he's played convincingly.
    Jeremy Renner has been suggested due to a passing physical resemblance to Zelenskyy.
    Well, I am hopeful that Zelensky himself will still be available for gigs in the near future.

Either to fund a government in exile or because his term has ended and he's handed over to a successor.
    Renner is perfect call. He was good as Mayor of Eastbourne.

I’ve got guests, so login out now.I will be praying before bed Klitchko and Zelenskiy don’t face a blitzkrieg tonight. Zelenskiy Is the best thing all the Eastern Slavs have to a proper man of the people President.

• Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Slovakia (GDP per capita: $19k, being flooded with refugees):

Ukrainians coming to #Slovakia 🇸🇰 get a temporary status with free health care and legal work possibility. For Ukrainians public transport is free of charge. There is food and beverages at the border #help #courage #Ukraine 🇺🇦

https://twitter.com/VasakovaLivia/status/1497327591602143237

United Kingdom (GDP per capita: $41k, a thousand miles from Ukraine):

'Our geriatric bigots don't want you, so you can fuck off.'
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A fellow geologist posted this up as the closest mineral he could find to show his support for the Ukraine today.

A suggestion that the Russian government will end up in Ukrainian quartz?
    I know I should resist these punfests, but albite.
    Don't worry, we'll Lviv another day.
  • Options
    The latest @OpiniumResearch @ObserverUK poll shows a 4 point Labour lead.

Con 34%
    Lab 38% (+1)
    Lib Dem 11%
    Green 6% https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1497662757964894208/photo/1
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

I am as mad as anyone about what is going on, but have been trying to resist the urge to call for or glorify death. Anyone fighting for Russia is doing so under orders from a dictator. The tragedy is that the Ukranians have been forced in to defending themselves in this way.

Whilst I feel some sympathy for the young Russians being sent to the deaths, we should not shy away from the fact that this is war and we very much know which side we're on.
    They might be conscripts, but soldiers are normally reckoned fair game. The Ukies need to kill as many Moskali as they can.
    Not a word I knew till 2 minutes ago, but apparently used only as an ethnic slur. And what is this "normally considered fair game" shit? I mean, yes, we are all on the Ukr side, but you sound like a Victorian gent reading the ticker in his club and hoping the North is giving the niggers a dam' good pasting.
    Not at all. If the Russians invade a democratic country then they deserve whatever shit gets dropped on them.
    And you are pleased about the thought of unwilling conscripts suffering injury and death.

OK.
    Perfect world they stop fighting and nobody else dies.

In the real world and for the greater good we need as many Russians to die as possible, as cold as it sounds.

It's the only thing that stops Putin, either by deciding to cut his losses and withdraw or forces a coup to remove him due to Russia anger from parents seeing their sons die in a needless and pointless way.
    Holy fuck, you slack jawed faggot, how stupid do you think I am?

Let me give you a clue: I am more intelligent than you, than any teacher at any school or "university" you ever attended, than anyone you have ever met and than the author of any book you have ever read (having a laugh there, obv). By a wide margin.

But thanks.
    You sound about 10. What an immature statement
    I had you down as probably an antisemitic Kremlinbot.

I've dropped the "probably."

Have a nice evening.
  • Options
    Major EU announcement coming on assistance for Ukraine momentarily …
    https://twitter.com/herszenhorn/status/1497662178492563459
  • Options
    The latest
    @OpiniumResearch

@ObserverUK
    poll shows a 4 point Labour lead.

Con 34%
    Lab 38% (+1)
    Lib Dem 11%
    Green 6%
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited February 2022
    IanB2 said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Sorry to report that @ukhomeoffice is refusing entry to Ukrainians at Paris Gare du Nord seeking to join family in UK because they don’t have a visa. And not being helped to apply for a visa. If there even is one.
    https://twitter.com/WilsonsLondon/status/1497653455246303233

I hope we change that swiftly. Would help if we stopped issuing any visas to Russians.
    To be honest on this question of refugees we already have been*. We should not only be providing Ukrainians the right to come here, we should be providing them with the transport to do so as well. Start with anyone who has a family link here and expand from there.

*Edit, shamed I mean.
  • Options
    .@BorisJohnson's leadership ratings remain in heavily negative territory.

> 58% disapprove of the job he is doing, unchanged from our last poll
    > 25% approve, up only 1% from a fortnight ago https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1497663005047230465/photo/1
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

I am as mad as anyone about what is going on, but have been trying to resist the urge to call for or glorify death. Anyone fighting for Russia is doing so under orders from a dictator. The tragedy is that the Ukranians have been forced in to defending themselves in this way.

Whilst I feel some sympathy for the young Russians being sent to the deaths, we should not shy away from the fact that this is war and we very much know which side we're on.
    They might be conscripts, but soldiers are normally reckoned fair game. The Ukies need to kill as many Moskali as they can.
    Not a word I knew till 2 minutes ago, but apparently used only as an ethnic slur. And what is this "normally considered fair game" shit? I mean, yes, we are all on the Ukr side, but you sound like a Victorian gent reading the ticker in his club and hoping the North is giving the niggers a dam' good pasting.
    Not at all. If the Russians invade a democratic country then they deserve whatever shit gets dropped on them.
    And you are pleased about the thought of unwilling conscripts suffering injury and death.

OK.

In the real world and for the greater good we need as many Russians to die as possible, as cold as it sounds.

It's the only thing that stops Putin, either by deciding to cut his losses and withdraw or forces a coup to remove him due to Russia anger from parents seeing their sons die in a needless and pointless way.

Let me give you a clue: I am more intelligent than you, than any teacher at any school or "university" you ever attended, than anyone you have ever met and than the author of any book you have ever read (having a laugh there, obv). By a wide margin.

But thanks.
    His language has been wholly inappropriate and offensive this evening.

@PBModerator can you perhaps take a look?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    Scott_xP said:

Does that mean the announcement is imminent or will be fleeting?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

You would hope so, but Priti has been Tweeting all day about the visa application service that isn't offering any visas
    I will be the first to condemn HMG if they fail to address the Ukrainian refugee problem but as the poll shows the publics acceptance of numbers varies considerably and at this moment we have to grant visas to all family members of Ukrainians living here in the UK, and then our share across Europe in due course

Remember, if Putin fails Ukrainians will want to go home
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

Incredible scoop by @bbcrussian here, revealing that Chechen dictator Ramzan Kadyrov was one of few Russian officials informed about war well ahead of time. Up to 10,000 of Kadyrov's forces currently deployed in Ukraine. https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1497632971548856322

Not your wet teenage forced conscripts; rather, a particularly nasty bunch of bastards. Hopefully the Ukrainians slaughter as many of them as possible.
    Here's one gone:

Russian general from Chechnya Magomed Tushayev won’t be coming home from #Ukraine.
    What have you lost in Ukraine, Magomed, huh?
    #RussiaGoHome #StopRussia
    #UkraineUnderAttack

https://mobile.twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497640933625577473
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I hope this is true.

President's Office: Sumy fully returned to Ukrainian control.

Presidential advisor Oleksiy Arestovych wrote that despite earlier reports that half the city was under Russian control, it has now returned fully to Ukrainian control.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497657843629109256

An awful lot of Russian generals are about to suffer nasty accidents, aren't they?
    If your entire government ideology is that no one will notice the lies while we fecking cream in the roubles, don't be surprised when your closest aides and military strategists and 4* generals all lie to you all the time.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa
    Поговорив телефоном із @BorisJohnson. Вдячний британському Прем'єр-міністру за його позицію, нові рішення щодо посилення потужності української армії. Узгодили подальші спільні кроки з протидії агресору.
    https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497661147868278795

I talked on the phone with @BorisJohnson . I am grateful to the British Prime Minister for his position, new decisions to strengthen the capacity of the Ukrainian army. Agreed on further joint steps to counter the aggressor.

I’m guessing we won’t reveal what we’re sending them. Good.

Isn’t there a risk of Russians seeing us as arming Ukraine to the extent we’re in a de facto war with Russia (which to be honest, we are..)

Some really grim pictures on Reddit. I loathe to cheer the burning of Russian troops in tanks, but I am glad our weapons are being used effectively
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Does that mean the announcement is imminent or will be fleeting?
    Yes
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Scott_xP said:

From a city under attack, Zelensky is now essentially orchestrating a race-to-the-top in support for his country between Western governments. “Impressive” doesn’t even begin to cover it.
    https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1497659816323473412
    https://twitter.com/zelenskyyua/status/1497655298907009027

Being visible, relatable andable to engage with international partners in a sometimes difficult way - pressing, but thankful - is not an easy gig. Early days, but he does seem to have risen to that challenge.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    edited February 2022
    Had a phone conversation with @BorisJohnson
    Grateful to the British Prime Minister for his position, new decisions to enhance the combat capabilities of the Ukrainian army. Agreed on further joint steps to counter the aggressor.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497661173231239170

Posted 9m ago.
  • Options

The latest
    @OpiniumResearch

@ObserverUK

Con 34%
    Lab 38% (+1)
    Lib Dem 11%
    Green 6%

Is that with or without the dodgy methodology?
  • Options
    .@Keir_Starmer retains his lead as best prime minister over @BorisJohnson:

> 27% currently think Starmer would make the best PM.
    > Only 24% think Johnson currently would be the best PM.
    > However, 37% think that neither would make the best prime minister. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1497663508179083264/photo/1
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

darkage said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

It depends very much who you are talking about. I wouldn't say I "glorify" death at all, but there are a lot of truly vile people on the Russian side that the world would be better off without.

There's no point in being wet about this. Putin's death, for example, would be a blessing for humanity.
    How can you say that for certain? You've no idea what he might be keeping the lid on, or what the future holds.

One could argue every success for Ukraine takes us one step closer to nuclear war. We just don't know.

But I am wishing Ukraine every success in this war.
    Yes I actually think it would be better if Ukraine surrenders.. their defeat is inevitable for the reason putin can't afford to lose and ultimately has the weapons to force his will on the ukrainian people
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    ydoethur said:

I hope this is true.

Presidential advisor Oleksiy Arestovych wrote that despite earlier reports that half the city was under Russian control, it has now returned fully to Ukrainian control.

An awful lot of Russian generals are about to suffer nasty accidents, aren't they?
    Being a Russian General is riskier than being Spinal Tap's drummer....
  • Options
    Don’t know if this is accurate, but…

Multiple reports now, including from British intel, that Russia is running out of rockets. And I’m confused. During most wars in Israel it absolutely rains rockets, the sky looks like fire hail. How does a “superpower” *run out of rockets* faster than Gaza in a day?
    https://twitter.com/juliaskripkaser/status/1497659725550346243
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Andy_JS said:
    COVID already feels like a distant memory. Putin’s ICBMs have a much higher fatality rate than…
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

.@Keir_Starmer retains his lead as best prime minister over @BorisJohnson:

> 27% currently think Starmer would make the best PM.
    > Only 24% think Johnson currently would be the best PM.
    > However, 37% think that neither would make the best prime minister. https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1497663508179083264/photo/1

Poor numbers for both
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

The latest
    @OpiniumResearch

@ObserverUK

Con 34%
    Lab 38% (+1)
    Lib Dem 11%
    Green 6%

I think their new methodology is here to stay.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

It depends very much who you are talking about. I wouldn't say I "glorify" death at all, but there are a lot of truly vile people on the Russian side that the world would be better off without.

There's no point in being wet about this. Putin's death, for example, would be a blessing for humanity.
    How can you say that for certain? You've no idea what he might be keeping the lid on, or what the future holds.

One could argue every success for Ukraine takes us one step closer to nuclear war. We just don't know.

Yes I actually think it would be better if Ukraine surrenders.. their defeat is inevitable for the reason putin can't afford to lose and ultimately has the weapons to force his will on the ukrainian people
    Putin has to lose.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

A social climber writes.

Tell us more about your labrador-and-barbour lifestyle.

Take into account that I own that shit because I shoot a lot, on land that I own. You?
  • Options

The latest
    @OpiniumResearch

@ObserverUK

Con 34%
    Lab 38% (+1)
    Lib Dem 11%
    Green 6%

Same new methodology as two weeks ago.

Only 27% wanting Starmer as best PM is interesting.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

Even inevitable victory can still be resisted and turned into a pyrrhic victory. That's a worthy goal, rather than implicitly blaming those attached for the temerity to resist because it means bloodshed.
  • Options
    Forced by Putin, Olaf Scholz is putting an end on a specific vision and reality of a German partnership with Putin, conceived and pushed for years by Schröder but also supported by Steinmeier, Gabriel and -- reluctantly but nevertheless most consequential -- Merkel.

https://twitter.com/ulrichspeck/status/1497662999913537542
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I hope this is true.

Being a Russian General is riskier than being Spinal Tap's drummer....
    This lot are going to go out with a bang.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I hope this is true.

We really need the generals to engineer a nasty accident for Vladimir instead.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Multiple reports now, including from British intel, that Russia is running out of rockets. And I’m confused. During most wars in Israel it absolutely rains rockets, the sky looks like fire hail. How does a “superpower” *run out of rockets* faster than Gaza in a day?

Increasingly it looks like Putin = Saddam, misinformed about his own military capability by his own generals.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I hope this is true.

If your entire government ideology is that no one will notice the lies while we fecking cream in the roubles, don't be surprised when your closest aides and military strategists and 4* generals all lie to you all the time.

We can only hope it’s Putin who suffers a nasty accident..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

A social climber writes.

Take into account that I own that shit because I shoot a lot, on land that I own. You?
    Are you alright?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    Andy_JS said:
    The strategy of opening up and allowing the virus to spread in the unvaccinated has clearly worked.
    NZ might want to take a look. They started the Covid war excellently, but are in danger of ending it a lot less well for fear of undoing their good work.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Had a phone conversation with @BorisJohnson
    Grateful to the British Prime Minister for his position, new decisions to enhance the combat capabilities of the Ukrainian army. Agreed on further joint steps to counter the aggressor.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497661173231239170

Posted 9m ago.

Whoever is coordinating Zelensky's office is also doing a bang up job, what with all the popping out for videos, scheduling chats with international leaders, presumably being instructed by military and government officials and, possibly, even getting to sleep for a few hours.
    Although his best one was the one where he had to break his schedule and withered Draghi in his riposte.

I am still wondering if that guilt tripped Draghi into reversing his stance.

However, if even Orban is upset with Putin, maybe u'm being unjust.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    PJohnson said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

I’d rather be vaporised in all out nuclear war than see Ukraine surrender.
  • Options
    Oh dear....

Reports coming in claiming that Russia tried to insert paratroopers in Odesa but accidentally dropped around 50 of them out over the sea in zero degree waters.

The Ukrainians say that nobody made it to shore, adding “we didn’t even have to open fire”.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497664806958030851
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

A social climber writes.

Are you alright?
    Yeah, I'm good. Spent the day at my favourite aunt's 90th birthday party.

you?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    Nigelb said:

When your country is a pyramid of thieves, the easiest thing to steal is inventory for the military. No-one looks in the big warehouse until....

Putin's pursuit of resource exploitation has hollowed out the rest of the Russian economy as well. Industrial capabilities are lower than they were 10 years ago.
  • Options
    @visegrad24
    The financial director of Gazprom has committed suicide.

The body of 61 year old Aleksandr Tiulakov found on the street under Saint Petersburg.
    https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497663287214882820
  • Options
    More violations of international law.

The capture of a rescue ship is a direct violation of the International Maritime Law and the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea,–the Ministry said adding that punishment for all these Russian crimes will come into force.
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1497657569627758592
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

PJohnson said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

I’d rather be vaporised in all out nuclear war than see Ukraine surrender.
    Yup - no chance Ukraine surrenders. Putin thought he’d walk in and be cheered to the rafters.
  • Options

Oh dear....

Reports coming in claiming that Russia tried to insert paratroopers in Odesa but accidentally dropped around 50 of them out over the sea in zero degree waters.

The Ukrainians say that nobody made it to shore, adding “we didn’t even have to open fire”.

Horrible way to die. Horrible.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,960

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

The F word is a pretty grotesque, homophobic slur and shouldn't really be on in 2022. Or ever.
  • Options

Oh dear....

Now that is truly extraordinary incompetence, if true.

I mean, surely it's easy enough to tell the difference between the sea and the land?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

A social climber writes.

Are you alright?
    I wouldn't recommend engaging with him. I don't.

He's an unpleasant troll who gets his kicks out of provoking others.
  • Options
    ⚡️Russian losses in last 24 hrs of its war against Ukraine:

SU-30 fighter aircraft, 11 helicopters, 2 Su-25 aircraft, 2 Il-76 air-fighters, a column of equipment and fuel echelon, according to Air Force Command of Ukraine’s Armed Forces.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497659908866678786
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Nigelb said:

Putin watched the fall of Afghanistan after the US withdrawal and assumed that the Ukrainian army would melt away into nothing like the Afghan army as soon as a hostile army came over the horizon? So didn't bother with things like, um, rockets?
  • Options

@visegrad24

The body of 61 year old Aleksandr Tiulakov found on the street under Saint Petersburg.

Bloody hell.

I pointed out two days ago that we were past peak Putin, but I didn't expect this steep a fall
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

A social climber writes.

I love you IshmaelZ but you’ve overcooked the Candy Flip. Log out. Back away. And we’ll see you tomorrow. 🙂
  • Options
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

I hope this is true.

We really need the generals to engineer a nasty accident for Vladimir instead.
    Red Storm Rising, eh?

“Marshal Bukharin, you propose complete staff replacement?” The practical consequences to the replacees was unspoken, Sergetov thought, but plain enough.”

• Options
    Nigelb said:

They’re firing the rockets at a huge area with an enormous number of targets. By area Israel is a very small country. Ukraine is bigger than France with a population only a little smaller than Spain.

• Options
    Can someone knock up a t-shirt with the Z crossed out? I will buy one.

• Options

@visegrad24

Makes a change from an unfortunate accident of slipping off a balcony.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

PJohnson said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

Yes I actually think it would be better if Ukraine surrenders
    Really? I am surprised.
    So we have -

- Ukraine will inevitably lose and it will be better for everyone for them to acquiesce.
    - Ukraine may achieve a no-score draw and it will be better for everyone for them to acquiesce.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I hope this is true.

They may want to consider a pre-emptive nasty accident happening to their boss.
  • Options

@visegrad24

The ghost of Jan Masaryk must be nodding in sympathy.
  • Options

@visegrad24

Makes a change from an unfortunate accident of slipping off a balcony.
    That tweet seems to have been deleted - interesting if true..
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is not the first such suggestion that I have read this evening. I've no idea how much of the following is true and how much might be wishful thinking (I'd be astonished if Russia were in immediate danger of running short of funds, given that we have previously been led to believe that they've been building up huge foreign exchange reserves, for example,) but it comes from a credible source:

THREAD 1/7 Intel from a Ukrainian officer about a meeting in Putin’s lair in Urals. Oligarchs convened there so no one would flee. Putin is furious, he thought that the whole war would be easy and everything would be done in 1-4 days.

2/7 Russians didn’t have a tactical plan. The war costs about $20 bln/day. There are rockets for 3-4 days at most, they use them sparingly. They lack weapons, the Tula and 2 Rotenberg plants can’t physically fulfil the orders for weapons. Rifles and ammo are the most they can do.

3/7 The next Russian weapons can be produced in 3-4 months – if even that. They have no raw materials. What was previously supplied mainly from Slovenia, Finland and Germany is now cut off.

4/7 If Ukraine manages to hold the Russians off for 10 days, then the Russians will have to enter negotiations. Because they have no money, weapons, or resources. Nevertheless, they are indifferent about the sanctions.

5/7 Alpha Spec Ops have been near Kyiv since the 18th February. The goal was to take Kyiv and instal a puppet regime. They are preparing provocations against innocent civilians – women and children – to sow panic. This is their trump card.

6/7 Russia’s whole plan relies on panic – that the civilians and armed forces surrender and Zelensky flees. They expect Kharkiv to surrender first so the other cities would follow suit to avoid bloodshed.
    (My note: a huge column of Russian tanks was reported by CNN to be headed towards Kharkiv earlier this evening) The Russians are in shock of the fierce resistance they have encountered.

7/7 The Ukrainians must avoid panic! The missile strikes are for intimidation, the Russians fire them at random to “accidentally” hit residential buildings to make the attack look larger than it really is. Ukraine must stay strong and we must provide assistance! #StandWithUkraine

https://twitter.com/RihoTerras/status/1497537196282331137
  • Options
    Let me re-up this again:

1) ONLY change Trump made in 2016 GOP platform was to remove military support for Ukraine. (Wrote about it at the time https://theatlantic.com/notes/2016/08/trump-time-capsule-71-someones-lying-about-the-gop-platform-on-ukraine/494789/… )

2) GOP agreed

3) Trump was impeached, first time, for w/holding aid to UKR. GOP (ex Romney) stood with him

https://twitter.com/JamesFallows/status/1497654477452627971
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

Oh dear....

I mean, surely it's easy enough to tell the difference between the sea and the land?
    Perhaps they had heard from Hyfud that they were above the continent of Europe but he'd neglected to tell them that he actually meant the Eurasian continental shelf.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Putin watched the fall of Afghanistan after the US withdrawal and assumed that the Ukrainian army would melt away into nothing like the Afghan army as soon as a hostile army came over the horizon? So didn't bother with things like, um, rockets?
    The generals lied to him about how many rockets they had.

But what's one more lie amongst all the others, eh Vlad?

If you build a society on total fantasy and fabrication don't be surprised when you wake up to find that, actually, there are no rockets comrade.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    There's an idea going around that Russian generals sold off a lot of their missiles for a quick buck.

I'd love it to be true but it sounds a bit far fetched.

The sad thing about having a curfew is that presumably people can't get to the metro?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

ydoethur said:

I hope this is true.

I'd really like to see him hanged like Saddam.
  • Options
    Truly this is the first social media war.

• Options

There's an idea going around that Russian generals sold off a lot of their missiles for a quick buck.

The sad thing about having a curfew is that presumably people can't get to the metro?

I thought it was for vodka?

As in the fine Soviet joke.

This is Armenian Radio. A listener has asked us 'What should I do if alcohol interferes with my job?' We're answering, give up the job.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Let me re-up this again:

1) ONLY change Trump made in 2016 GOP platform was to remove military support for Ukraine. (Wrote about it at the time https://theatlantic.com/notes/2016/08/trump-time-capsule-71-someones-lying-about-the-gop-platform-on-ukraine/494789/… )

2) GOP agreed

3) Trump was impeached, first time, for w/holding aid to UKR. GOP (ex Romney) stood with him

https://twitter.com/JamesFallows/status/1497654477452627971

And the only lesson the GOP will take from this is it happened on Biden's 'watch'. And most of their voters with them no doubt.
  • Options

I think if we wore the real thing, people would realise it was satirical

IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

A social climber writes.

I love you IshmaelZ but you’ve overcooked the Candy Flip. Log out. Back away. And we’ll see you tomorrow. 🙂
    Yeah sure. Done alottachampagne2day. And I only said that because the buffoon I was replying to was bragging a bit ago about his gundog n hunterwelly lifestyle like it made him a bsd. wtf?

Got 2 hunters to exercise tomorrow am. "There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse." W Churchill

nite xx
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

Oh dear....

I know nothing of these things but I’d imagine that accurately inserting paratroopers near water in a hostile area accurately would be very difficult indeed.
  • Options
    Video - Molotov cocktails in action:

https://twitter.com/IraqNews22/status/1497666643748610051
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

The F word is a pretty grotesque, homophobic slur and shouldn't really be on in 2022. Or ever.
    He also used the N word earlier (which is still up).

It's not just that either it's his deeply unpleasant attitude. He's a corrosive influence to the forum.

If it were up to me (and it's obviously not my site) he'd be banned.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

@visegrad24

He must have taken it really badly that he no longer had complimentary tickets for the final....
  • Options

Well, many positive stories as well as negative ones will be bunkum. If that one were true that's next level incompetence and corruption in the Russian state.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

@visegrad24

He must have taken it really badly that he no longer had complimentary tickets for the final....
    Did he commit suicide, or was he suicided?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Nigelb said:

This is not the first such suggestion that I have read this evening. I've no idea how much of the following is true and how much might be wishful thinking (I'd be astonished if Russia were in immediate danger of running short of funds, given that we have previously been led to believe that they've been building up huge foreign exchange reserves, for example,) but it comes from a credible source:

THREAD 1/7 Intel from a Ukrainian officer about a meeting in Putin’s lair in Urals. Oligarchs convened there so no one would flee. Putin is furious, he thought that the whole war would be easy and everything would be done in 1-4 days.

2/7 Russians didn’t have a tactical plan. The war costs about $20 bln/day. There are rockets for 3-4 days at most, they use them sparingly. They lack weapons, the Tula and 2 Rotenberg plants can’t physically fulfil the orders for weapons. Rifles and ammo are the most they can do.

3/7 The next Russian weapons can be produced in 3-4 months – if even that. They have no raw materials. What was previously supplied mainly from Slovenia, Finland and Germany is now cut off.

4/7 If Ukraine manages to hold the Russians off for 10 days, then the Russians will have to enter negotiations. Because they have no money, weapons, or resources. Nevertheless, they are indifferent about the sanctions.

5/7 Alpha Spec Ops have been near Kyiv since the 18th February. The goal was to take Kyiv and instal a puppet regime. They are preparing provocations against innocent civilians – women and children – to sow panic. This is their trump card.

6/7 Russia’s whole plan relies on panic – that the civilians and armed forces surrender and Zelensky flees. They expect Kharkiv to surrender first so the other cities would follow suit to avoid bloodshed.
    (My note: a huge column of Russian tanks was reported by CNN to be headed towards Kharkiv earlier this evening) The Russians are in shock of the fierce resistance they have encountered.

7/7 The Ukrainians must avoid panic! The missile strikes are for intimidation, the Russians fire them at random to “accidentally” hit residential buildings to make the attack look larger than it really is. Ukraine must stay strong and we must provide assistance! #StandWithUkraine

"I'd be astonished if Russia were in immediate danger of running short of funds, given that we have previously been led to believe that they've been building up huge foreign exchange reserves"

Tiger tanks != potatoes.

Simply because you have money doesn't mean that you have advanced weapons. Those take a pyramid of advanced technology. Massive investments. The rate of production of military aircraft, for example, is very low in Russia.

For WWII it took the UK most of decade (from 1932), before the war, to build the in-depth armaments industry required.
  • Options

Truly this is the first social media war.

I've read that many times in the last 10 years. But for Europeans, sure.
  • Options

Josep Borrell Fontelles
    @JosepBorrellF
    ·
    22m
    I am convening a virtual meeting of EU Foreign Ministers tomorrow at 18.00 to adopt further measures in support of #Ukraine, against aggression by #Russia.

I will propose a package of emergency assistance for the Ukrainian armed forces, to support them in their heroic fight.

https://twitter.com/JosepBorrellF/status/1497662918120325129
  • Options

The latest
    @OpiniumResearch

@ObserverUK

Con 34%
    Lab 38% (+1)
    Lib Dem 11%
    Green 6%

Behind all this international crisis The People have decided on Boris Johnson, most likely his Parliamentary Party have too. Soon as the news narrative changes there will be a reckoning - for now our thoughts and prayers are in Ukraine. 🙋‍♀️
  • Options
    glw said:

ydoethur said:

I hope this is true.

I'd really like to see him hanged like Saddam.
    I'd like to see him on his really long table with a Klitschko at each end punching him back and forth.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

It's not the first time. The bloke threw a wobbly with me a couple of weeks back and called me a cocksucker - about fourteen times over several sweary messages. Tantrums like that are routinely tolerated on PB. It's one of the less edifying aspects of the site.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Oh dear....

I know nothing of these things but I’d imagine that accurately inserting paratroopers near water in a hostile accurately would be very difficult indeed.
    Which is why you shouldn't do it. You should allow for wind, and not release until you have a margin for safety. And if in doubt, don't do it.

I mean, I know all that talk about drop zones and so on, but the mess they've made here...and we're presumably talking about elite troops as well.

No wonder the advance is so slow. It's clearly not been planned at all. So far we've had inadequate air cover, logistics and supply chains running dry in 36 hours, and now paratroops being dropped in the sea.

About the only unambiguous success is reopening the North Crimean Canal, and they could have done that far more simply and cheaply.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Nigelb said:

Propaganda is part of the war effort for both sides - I wouldn't get too excited.

What we can safely conclude, for now, is that Putin's initial hopes of a swift light armoured strike down main roads, in the face of crumbling/capitulating opposition, leading to political decapitation and the installation of a "friendly" regime followed by a ceasefire, all inside 72 hours, have failed. They've been complacent and miscalculated Ukrainian resolve.

All sorts of things can happen next.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I think if we wore the real thing, people would realise it was satirical

IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

But thanks.

A social climber writes.

Yeah sure. Done alottachampagne2day. And I only said that because the buffoon I was replying to was bragging a bit ago about his gundog n hunterwelly lifestyle like it made him a bsd. wtf?

Got 2 hunters to exercise tomorrow am. "There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse." W Churchill

nite xx
    Those were hundreds and thousands on the birthday trifle? [insert critical parent look]

Rember to sleep on your side 😘
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited February 2022

Who owns VAR now? City themselves or their charitable foundation?

https://twitter.com/MattMason_/status/1497652154064113667

Ironic that fans of other clubs call your team LiVARpool
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    IanB2 said:

A quick glance at my BF account suggests today’s horse racing tips did well, including the EW long shot from Ms Rabbit. Congratulations all :)

I did not bad , my EW bet was placed at 14-1 and 2 out of 3 in my trixie so reasonable day.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    Scott_xP said:

⚡️Russian losses in last 24 hrs of its war against Ukraine:

SU-30 fighter aircraft, 11 helicopters, 2 Su-25 aircraft, 2 Il-76 air-fighters, a column of equipment and fuel echelon, according to Air Force Command of Ukraine’s Armed Forces.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497659908866678786

If Zelensky can pull this off ( and I am more sanguine than many on here) there should be a massive uptick in Johnson's support. The great Churchillian Statesman by default.

Another ten, even twenty years of Johnson who I detest, is a price I would be more than happy to pay for this evil to stop.
This discussion has been closed.