Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Final reminder: PB’s 18th Birthday Party – Wednesday 6.30pm – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    darkage said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

I am as mad as anyone about what is going on, but have been trying to resist the urge to call for or glorify death. Anyone fighting for Russia is doing so under orders from a dictator. The tragedy is that the Ukranians have been forced in to defending themselves in this way.

It depends very much who you are talking about. I wouldn't say I "glorify" death at all, but there are a lot of truly vile people on the Russian side that the world would be better off without.

There's no point in being wet about this. Putin's death, for example, would be a blessing for humanity.
    How can you say that for certain? You've no idea what he might be keeping the lid on, or what the future holds.

One could argue every success for Ukraine takes us one step closer to nuclear war. We just don't know.

But I am wishing Ukraine every success in this war.
  • Options

BREAKING: Ukrainian presidential adviser says about 3,500 Russian troops have been killed and injured so far in war against Ukraine, @Reuters is reporting.

It's not immediately possible to independently verify such figures

Adviser also says Russian attack on Kyiv isn't advancing

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1497642577260122116

I think the gloves are about to come off with artillery/rocket artillery.

But, I think that just digs an even deeper political hole for Putin.
    I read in the Times or FT that the Russian people were told that this would be a liberation and the people of Ukraine would welcome Russian troops.

Seeing Kyiv razed is going to lead to some awkward questions.
    It will, but Putin is committed now and losing is even worse for him.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

pigeon said:

Just last week Germany was going to do zilch. As AJP Taylor said, war makes History speed up.

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1497634371343319041

Breaking: German government just decided to deliver 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 "Stinger" surface-to-air missiles from Bundeswehr stocks to Ukraine to support the country against Russian attack.

"The weapons will be delivered to Ukraine as soon as possible," spox said.

Chancellor Olaf Scholz: "The Russian invasion of Ukraine marks a turning point. It threatens our entire post-war order. In this situation, it is our duty to do our utmost to support Ukraine in defending itself against Vladimir Putin's invading army.GER stands closely by Ukraine."

Their principles were obviously very important.

Why couldn't they have decided this in the first five minutes after Ukraine was invaded?

They've been shamed into this.
    On balance I think it’s good we have countries like Germany and Italy with a different point of view and scepticism about actions against Russia. Equally good to have ultra hawks like Poland and Estonia. As JFK famously discovered during the Bay of Pigs, groupthink is dangerous. I fancy Putin is discovering something similar now (but hopefully not learning the lesson). Ideas and strategies need healthy challenge. It means that when, for example, SWIFT gets pulled from Russia the implications will have been properly debated and understood.
    I'm not sure Germany and Italy having a different point of view always works out well.
    What are you referring to here? Teutoburg Forest?
    If Germany and Italy have different points of view then they disagree.

If they have a different point of view they can agree with each other and disagree with everybody else.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

I am as mad as anyone about what is going on, but have been trying to resist the urge to call for or glorify death. Anyone fighting for Russia is doing so under orders from a dictator. The tragedy is that the Ukranians have been forced in to defending themselves in this way.

Whilst I feel some sympathy for the young Russians being sent to the deaths, we should not shy away from the fact that this is war and we very much know which side we're on.
    They might be conscripts, but soldiers are normally reckoned fair game. The Ukies need to kill as many Moskali as they can.
    Not a word I knew till 2 minutes ago, but apparently used only as an ethnic slur. And what is this "normally considered fair game" shit? I mean, yes, we are all on the Ukr side, but you sound like a Victorian gent reading the ticker in his club and hoping the North is giving the niggers a dam' good pasting.
    Not at all. If the Russians invade a democratic country then they deserve whatever shit gets dropped on them.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Parsing that statement, Roman Abramovich hasn't handed over ownership of Chelsea has he?

This looks like some PR bullshit.

Yeah, I think he's made things worse for Chelsea.
    Being rather cynical this is just some protection from him to stop the UK government seizing Chelsea from him.

This is going to be some form over substance.
    I cannot see him or Chelsea getting away with what appears to be sleight of hand
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Rugby is just penalty after penalty

Entirely unconvincing English performance. It's like they turned it on and off.

If Wales hadn't conceded so many penalties they'd have won, and deserved to win.
    Nowt wrong with the Welsh quick tap try first half either. Wasn't their fault both England and the ref were all asleep.
    He didn't tap it in line with the penalty (you have to kick the ball through the line)
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839

Farooq said:

TimS said:

pigeon said:

Just last week Germany was going to do zilch. As AJP Taylor said, war makes History speed up.

Breaking: German government just decided to deliver 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 "Stinger" surface-to-air missiles from Bundeswehr stocks to Ukraine to support the country against Russian attack.

Chancellor Olaf Scholz: "The Russian invasion of Ukraine marks a turning point. It threatens our entire post-war order. In this situation, it is our duty to do our utmost to support Ukraine in defending itself against Vladimir Putin's invading army.GER stands closely by Ukraine."

Why couldn't they have decided this in the first five minutes after Ukraine was invaded?

On balance I think it’s good we have countries like Germany and Italy with a different point of view and scepticism about actions against Russia. Equally good to have ultra hawks like Poland and Estonia. As JFK famously discovered during the Bay of Pigs, groupthink is dangerous. I fancy Putin is discovering something similar now (but hopefully not learning the lesson). Ideas and strategies need healthy challenge. It means that when, for example, SWIFT gets pulled from Russia the implications will have been properly debated and understood.
    I'm not sure Germany and Italy having a different point of view always works out well.
    What are you referring to here? Teutoburg Forest?
    If Germany and Italy have different points of view then they disagree.

If they have a different point of view they can agree with each other and disagree with everybody else.
    Oh, that.
    I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

Whilst I feel some sympathy for the young Russians being sent to the deaths, we should not shy away from the fact that this is war and we very much know which side we're on.
    They might be conscripts, but soldiers are normally reckoned fair game. The Ukies need to kill as many Moskali as they can.
    Not a word I knew till 2 minutes ago, but apparently used only as an ethnic slur. And what is this "normally considered fair game" shit? I mean, yes, we are all on the Ukr side, but you sound like a Victorian gent reading the ticker in his club and hoping the North is giving the niggers a dam' good pasting.
    Not at all. If the Russians invade a democratic country then they deserve whatever shit gets dropped on them.
    And you are pleased about the thought of unwilling conscripts suffering injury and death.

OK.
  • Options
    Bloody Everton.

Hope they get relegated.
  • Options
    What a mistake Everton

Letting City off the hook
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,077

dixiedean said:

Rugby is just penalty after penalty

Entirely unconvincing English performance. It's like they turned it on and off.

If Wales hadn't conceded so many penalties they'd have won, and deserved to win.
    Nowt wrong with the Welsh quick tap try first half either. Wasn't their fault both England and the ref were all asleep.
    He didn't tap it in line with the penalty (you have to kick the ball through the line)
    Oh. Fair enough.
    That wasn't the opinion of the radio commentators though.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

And you are pleased about the thought of unwilling conscripts suffering injury and death.

OK.
    Yes.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    It is entirely Uncle Vova's responsibility
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Parsing that statement, Roman Abramovich hasn't handed over ownership of Chelsea has he?

This looks like some PR bullshit.

Yeah, I think he's made things worse for Chelsea.
    Being rather cynical this is just some protection from him to stop the UK government seizing Chelsea from him.

This is going to be some form over substance.
    I cannot see him or Chelsea getting away with what appears to be sleight of hand
    The blue side paying lip service to mending their ways, and their fans falling over themselves in breathless admiration?
    Nah, it would never happen.
  • Options

BREAKING: Ukrainian presidential adviser says about 3,500 Russian troops have been killed and injured so far in war against Ukraine, @Reuters is reporting.

I read in the Times or FT that the Russian people were told that this would be a liberation and the people of Ukraine would welcome Russian troops.

"How did you lose Mr Putin?"

"Slowly at first, and then very very quickly."

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,645
    Why on Earth would the BBC have Vicky Pryce on to discuss the SWIFT situation?

Although TBF I suppose she knows all about crimes and their consequences...
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,048
    tlg86 said:

TimS said:

pigeon said:

Surely it depends on the motivation of the countries. If it's "our we sure this is a good idea?", then fine. But I think it's all about self interest, I'm afraid.
    Even if it’s self interest that’s perhaps no bad thing. “Hang on a second, if we do this we’ll see has prices rise 3-fold which will inflict real hardship on our already fragile indebted economy which could in the worst case lead to a sovereign debt default” (in Italy’s case)is not an unworthy point to raise. Not least because if hopefully encourages the countries to support each other.

If this led to inaction then that would be a problem. If it leads to greater unity in action then that’s got to be a plus.
  • Options
    City get away with one there
  • Options
    Fuck VAR.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,975
    TimS said:

1990s action blockbuster: proposed screenplay.

Working title: “the last laugh”

Plot summary:

A famous comedy actor in an indeterminate European country (played by Tom Hanks, obvs) decides to stand for President, and unexpectedly wins!

Soon he finds himself grappling with a situation he could never have expected as the mad dictator Vlad, president of “The Federation” (Kevin Spacey) decides to launch a terrifying invasion of his country.

He has a choice: to escape to safety, or stay and fight. In this moment of crisis he finds his inner strength. Of course he will fight.

Accompanied by his trusty friends, the former heavyweight boxing champion and now mayor of the capital city (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and former beauty pageant winner now Kalashnikov wielding action heroine (Angelina Jolie) and with the eyes of the world on him including the American President Joe (an aged Clint Eastwood), EU commission President Ursula (Emma Thompson), French President Emmanuel (Omar Sy) and a comedy cameo for UK prime minister Boris (Rowan Atkinson) he sets out to make his date with destiny.

I really hope the ending is Hollywood this time.

Jim Carrey as the Ukrainian President.
  • Options
    Incidentally @IshmaelZ FPT:
    As you can walk from Ushuaia to Utqiagvik, N/S America is not acceptable.
    Unless you're Jesus in disguise, you can't. Ushuaia is on Tierra del Fuego, which is an island.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

She's worked for a few banks and was the DTI's Chief Economist Adviser, I think she has a pretty good handle on how SWIFT works.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

She's worked for a few banks and was the DTI's Chief Economist Adviser, I think she has a pretty good handle on how SWIFT works.
    So the fact she's a convicted criminal isn't relevant?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    Ok let's just spell that out: young men are put, against their will, into a situation where they are liable to be severely injured or killed, and that fact gives you pleasure.

Just going to leave this conversation here.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

you do the crime, you pai the pryce?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited February 2022
    TimS said:

Plot summary:

A famous comedy actor in an indeterminate European country (played by Tom Hanks, obvs) decides to stand for President, and unexpectedly wins!

Soon he finds himself grappling with a situation he could never have expected as the mad dictator Vlad, president of “The Federation” (Kevin Spacey) decides to launch a terrifying invasion of his country.

He has a choice: to escape to safety, or stay and fight. In this moment of crisis he finds his inner strength. Of course he will fight.

Accompanied by his trusty friends, the former heavyweight boxing champion and now mayor of the capital city (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and former beauty pageant winner now Kalashnikov wielding action heroine (Angelina Jolie) and with the eyes of the world on him including the American President Joe (an aged Clint Eastwood), EU commission President Ursula (Emma Thompson), French President Emmanuel (Omar Sy) and a comedy cameo for UK prime minister Boris (Rowan Atkinson) he sets out to make his date with destiny.

Look for the DVD deleted extra scene where the UK PM turns up to the big international fightback conference perched on a sofa lashed to the top of a tiny green Mini.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Well, I'm sure the BBC did pay the Pryce, but I'm not sure her price is fully paid up yet.
  • Options

It was easier for him with Grozny, because - let’s be honest - racism. Razing a city of the “other” - Muslims in a far off corner of the empire - of which most Russians knew little other than some truly frightening and real terrorist incidents, is very different from razing a very familiar city of fellow Orthodox Christian Europeans. It may be distasteful, but it plays to Ukraine’s favour.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Not really, the criminal conviction was not related to her work, and is considered spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

Not all criminals are recidivists.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Well, I'm sure the BBC did pay the Pryce, but I'm not sure her price is fully paid up yet.
    The Pryce is priced in to the deal...
  • Options

Fuck, I am welling up.

"Oleksandr Bilyy, a Ukrainian national living in the British town of Basildon, spent the first days of the Russian invasion of his country watching it on television before deciding that he had had enough. On Friday, Mr. Bilyy, a 39-year-old deliveryman, packed up his car, said goodbye to his wife, and headed to his homeland, hoping to join the fight."

NY Times live blog

Hmmm, shivering in a frozen mud trench dodging Russian white phosphorus... or working 14 hour shifts for Amazon delivering packages to ungrateful Leave voting bastards in South Benfleet?

Tricky.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

To be fair, she helped put away another criminal.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    Ok let's just spell that out: young men are put, against their will, into a situation where they are liable to be severely injured or killed, and that fact gives you pleasure.

Not at all. You kill enemy soldiers.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Not really, the criminal conviction was not related to her work, and is considered spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

Not all criminals are recidivists.
    Fair enough. You're the lawyer, not me.

Could be worse, they could have asked Susan Michie to opine. She presumably knows fuck all about it, but that's not stopped her with Covid.
  • Options

TimS said:

Plot summary:

This feels more Hanks than Carrey I think. He’s got the Private Ryan experience too. If he’s not available they could try Hugh Grant.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

In some parts of finance, we call that CV building.

{Trafigura has entered the chat}
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Perfect world they stop fighting and nobody else dies.

In the real world and for the greater good we need as many Russians to die as possible, as cold as it sounds.

It's the only thing that stops Putin, either by deciding to cut his losses and withdraw or forces a coup to remove him due to Russia anger from parents seeing their sons die in a needless and pointless way.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,355
    Poland advocates an express path for Ukraine’s membership in the EU. The candidate state status should be granted immediately and talks on the membership started promptly thereafter. Ukraine must also have access to EU funds for reconstruction. This is what Ukraine deserves🇵🇱🇺🇦🇪🇺

https://twitter.com/andrzejduda/status/1497642406237376514?s=21
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Abramovich announces he is "giving trustees of Chelsea’s charitable Foundation the stewardship and care of Chelsea FC".

Statement from Club Owner Roman Abramovich https://link.chelseafc.com/1WUW/e1f594e2 via @ChelseaFC

Not the ownership

He’s taking it back as soon as he can get away with it. Smoke and mirrors to try and avoid expropriation
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    Did I understand you correctly from a previous post that you’re a battle reenactor? If you’ve got knowledge of Ukraine and already have a uniform of sorts, shouldn’t you be answering Zelenskyy’s call for foreign fighters? You could be killing Russian conscripts rather than talking about killing Russian conscripts.
  • Options
    Fuck your warships...

Nataliya Vasilyeva
    @Nat_Vasilyeva
    ·
    1h
    Two healthcare workers in the Belarusian city of Homel near the Russian and Belarusian border confirmed to The Telegraph they have seen an order signed by the Belarusian Healthcare Ministry, warning the possibility of an influx of Russian casualties.

https://twitter.com/Nat_Vasilyeva
  • Options
    Who owns VAR now? City themselves or their charitable foundation?

https://twitter.com/MattMason_/status/1497652154064113667
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.

Not at all. You kill enemy soldiers.
    No, Ukrainian soldiers kill enemy soldiers. And you get a nasty little senile semi about it.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,694
    DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

A quick glance at my BF account suggests today’s horse racing tips did well, including the EW long shot from Ms Rabbit. Congratulations all :)

Never doubt the Rabbit.
    You are very welcome. I was on to win. So I leave with nothing 😶
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

In some parts of finance, we call that CV building.

{Trafigura has entered the chat}
    You have spelt Deutsche Bank wrong.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,255
    Scott_xP said:

On the highway out of Kyiv - the Ukrainians have ripped down the road signs so the Russians get lost and put up another one that says "good luck"
    https://twitter.com/JamesERothwell/status/1497614678377349120

My Ukrainian friend (currently hiding in a bomb shelter in Kharkiv) explains that the Ukrainian phrase "Good Luck" is a well known visual pun in Russian translation

In Ukrainian: НЕХАЙ ЩАСТИТЬ = Good Luck

In Russian: НЕХУЙ ШАСТАТЬ = (a v rude version of) Please Go Away

#Ukraine
    https://twitter.com/StewartWood/status/1497625200057364483

Don't military vehicles have GPS? Interesting if they're relying on road signs to know where they are.
  • Options

Fuck VAR.

Thought that was Fuck WAR for a minute. Was just getting my head round the new peacenik TSE..
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Should the BBC never interview convicted criminals? Theroux would be out of a job. Blimey. He literally spent a week or two in a Californian jail at one point.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Should the BBC never interview convicted criminals? Theroux would be out of a job. Blimey. He literally spent a week or two in a Californian jail at one point.
    If they made it a policy position it would make life difficult for Johnson in a couple of weeks (hopefully)...
  • Options
    Feels like the belated German decision is going to turn out to be huge in this conflict.

Putin overreach.

He has miscalculated the West.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    Did I understand you correctly from a previous post that you’re a battle reenactor? If you’ve got knowledge of Ukraine and already have a uniform of sorts, shouldn’t you be answering Zelenskyy’s call for foreign fighters? You could be killing Russian conscripts rather than talking about killing Russian conscripts.
    Yes I am. C5 and C16. I'm 57 and not in the zone. The Ukies can kill Moskali.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,551
    Farooq said:

Fuck, I am welling up.

"Oleksandr Bilyy, a Ukrainian national living in the British town of Basildon, spent the first days of the Russian invasion of his country watching it on television before deciding that he had had enough. On Friday, Mr. Bilyy, a 39-year-old deliveryman, packed up his car, said goodbye to his wife, and headed to his homeland, hoping to join the fight."

NY Times live blog

Hmmm, shivering in a frozen mud trench dodging Russian white phosphorus... or working 14 hour shifts for Amazon delivering packages to ungrateful Leave voting bastards in South Benfleet?

Tricky.
    I understand the humourous comment. Nonetheless hats off to the guy. I hope he safely returns to Laindon a hero.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Plot summary:

This feels more Hanks than Carrey I think. He’s got the Private Ryan experience too. If he’s not available they could try Hugh Grant.
    Carrey has incredible range.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    I would be entirely happy to kill Russian conscripts
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

Plot summary:

Hanks could never play a President with the energy, charisma and determination of Zelensky convincingly.

Come to think of it, it's hard to think of any role he's played convincingly.
  • Options

A fellow geologist posted this up as the closest mineral he could find to show his support for the Ukraine today.

A suggestion that the Russian government will end up in Ukrainian quartz?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    TimS said:

It was easier for him with Grozny, because - let’s be honest - racism. Razing a city of the “other” - Muslims in a far off corner of the empire - of which most Russians knew little other than some truly frightening and real terrorist incidents, is very different from razing a very familiar city of fellow Orthodox Christian Europeans. It may be distasteful, but it plays to Ukraine’s favour.
    Besides which, Chechnya is a backwater tinpot province with a population of around a million, whereas Ukraine is over 600,000km² in area, has dozens of cities and nearly as many people in it as Spain.

The entire Russian invasion force probably isn't sufficient to hold it properly against a determined insurgency, and the steady stream of casualties means that said force is shrinking in size with every day that passes.
  • Options

This is the picture of the war so far for me. I well up a little every time I see it on twitter..

Intense and emotional

We are all Ukrainians now
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,328

This is the picture of the war so far for me. I well up a little every time I see it on twitter..

This image is *not* current.

It was published on Facebook in 2016 by Dmitry Muravsky, a volunteer photographer for Ukraine’s defense ministry who was dismissed following accusations by soldiers and local photographers that he staged a series of combat photos. https://twitter.com/galeharrier/status/1497387903000842243
  • Options
    The Government also needs to seize Manchester City.

UAE-mouthpiece The National has ordered its foreign staff not to refer to Russia's invasion of Ukraine as an invasion. Comes after the UAE abstained from condemning the invasion at the UNSC

https://twitter.com/CampbellMacD/status/1497637389803528197
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

In the real world and for the greater good we need as many Russians to die as possible, as cold as it sounds.

It's the only thing that stops Putin, either by deciding to cut his losses and withdraw or forces a coup to remove him due to Russia anger from parents seeing their sons die in a needless and pointless way.
    Holy fuck, you slack jawed faggot, how stupid do you think I am?

Let me give you a clue: I am more intelligent than you, than any teacher at any school or "university" you ever attended, than anyone you have ever met and than the author of any book you have ever read (having a laugh there, obv). By a wide margin.

But thanks.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It was published on Facebook in 2016 by Dmitry Muravsky, a volunteer photographer for Ukraine’s defense ministry who was dismissed following accusations by soldiers and local photographers that he staged a series of combat photos. https://twitter.com/galeharrier/status/1497387903000842243
    So what - it has never been more relevant
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,618

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    He’s gonna stick out a bit in his Roundhead outfit, tbf.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,433
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Plot summary:

Hanks could never play a President with the energy, charisma and determination of Zelensky convincingly.

Jeremy Renner has been suggested due to a passing physical resemblance to Zelenskyy.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.

Holy fuck, you slack jawed faggot, how stupid do you think I am?

Let me give you a clue: I am more intelligent than you, than any teacher at any school or "university" you ever attended, than anyone you have ever met and than the author of any book you have ever read (having a laugh there, obv). By a wide margin.

But thanks.
    I once employed a highly intelligent graduate and he lasted less than a week as he was as thick as two short planks
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

The Government also needs to seize Manchester City.

UAE-mouthpiece The National has ordered its foreign staff not to refer to Russia's invasion of Ukraine as an invasion. Comes after the UAE abstained from condemning the invasion at the UNSC

https://twitter.com/CampbellMacD/status/1497637389803528197

Medieval land-grab?
  • Options
    This ofc is part of why the Ukrainians have been asking the international red cross to help send bodies back to their families, both for the moral reason that people should know what has happened to their family members and should have closure but also to break Putin's mythology https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1497637654925611011 https://twitter.com/CJTerry/status/1497657580759441410/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Good spot. Still a stunning picture though..

If that boy was 11 when it was taken, he might be saluting with a real rifle on his shoulder right now.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is the biggest drawback with Twitter, so many people posting photos and stuff that is either fake or not contemporary.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A fellow geologist posted this up as the closest mineral he could find to show his support for the Ukraine today.

A suggestion that the Russian government will end up in Ukrainian quartz?
    I know I should resist these punfests, but albite.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    I would be entirely happy to kill Russian conscripts
    Honestly, hun, you have already irrevocably established your lovely bloke credentials. I'd step back ftkiiwy, fwiw. hth.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    Don’t show him your pike, Lilburne!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    tlg86 said:

TimS said:

pigeon said:

Surely it depends on the motivation of the countries. If it's "our we sure this is a good idea?", then fine. But I think it's all about self interest, I'm afraid.
    So, you're saying we should ignore the Poles and the Baltic states?
  • Options
    Sorry to report that @ukhomeoffice is refusing entry to Ukrainians at Paris Gare du Nord seeking to join family in UK because they don’t have a visa. And not being helped to apply for a visa. If there even is one.
    https://twitter.com/WilsonsLondon/status/1497653455246303233
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    I'm a Cavalier
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,551
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Plot summary:

Has to be Jason Statham with Vinnie Jones as Klitschko.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Plot summary:

Jeremy Renner has been suggested due to a passing physical resemblance to Zelenskyy.
    Well, I am hopeful that Zelensky himself will still be available for gigs in the near future.

Either to fund a government in exile or because his term has ended and he's handed over to a successor.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,460
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There has to come a point where (most) criminals are considered to have paid their debt to society. She’s done her time, she knows what she’s on about, so why not? Ultimately we need to rehabilitate most criminals into society. Some are irredeemable but Pryce is not, in my view, one of those.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853
    Scott_xP said:

Sorry to report that @ukhomeoffice is refusing entry to Ukrainians at Paris Gare du Nord seeking to join family in UK because they don’t have a visa. And not being helped to apply for a visa. If there even is one.

I hope we change that swiftly. Would help if we stopped issuing any visas to Russians.
  • Options
    Abramovich could like his daughter have repudiated the war. Instead so far he has tried a manoeuvre to protect his assets from seizure by the U.K.Treasury. He remains owner.

https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/1497656788707164164
  • Options
    If you want to understand why the British government is dragging its heels over taking refugees from Ukraine… 🇺🇦
    https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1497600960960491521
    https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1497258529006268421
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,085
    Logistically, how do we get all these extra weapons to where they are needed? This all seems a bit of a dark area. On the news they suggested the questions weren't being answered.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

I hope we change that swiftly. Would help if we stopped issuing any visas to Russians.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Our immigration service is shit. Full stop.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    I'm a Cavalier
    and a Leveller? How bizarre.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Our government is going to be shamed into another u-turn here.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

OK.
    Yes.
    I'm a Cavalier
    It has always amused my friends that me, one of life's Cavaliers, is in fact a Roundhead.
  • Options

Logistically, how do we get all these extra weapons to where they are needed? This all seems a bit of a dark area. On the news they suggested the questions weren't being answered.

Like Czechia

@visegrad24
    10h
    BREAKING:

Czechia just decided to send machine guns, sniper rifles,handguns and ammunition worth EUR 7,6 mln to Ukraine.

Unlike Germany, the Czechs aren’t afraid of entering Ukraine as the Czech Defense Ministry will provide immediate transport to any place chosen by Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497502621619347457
  • Options

NLAWs weigh 12.5KG - say 20Kg with a huge transport case (probably less) - so 100 to the ton.

You could get thousands on a single transport flight.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

From a city under attack, Zelensky is now essentially orchestrating a race-to-the-top in support for his country between Western governments. “Impressive” doesn’t even begin to cover it.
    https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1497659816323473412
    https://twitter.com/zelenskyyua/status/1497655298907009027

And sadly necessary
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    Scott_xP said:

If you want to understand why the British government is dragging its heels over taking refugees from Ukraine… 🇺🇦
    https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1497600960960491521
    https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1497258529006268421

Yep. Brexiteer pensioners strike again.

If the Government explains to them that higher population density = higher house prices then they might yet be persuadable, though.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,853
    IanB2 said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

Our government is going to be shamed into another u-turn here.
    These things take time. If its changed in the next few days then that's fine. Doing what the government has been doing - sanctions and helping with supplies etc is a higher priority.
  • Options

I hope this is true.

President's Office: Sumy fully returned to Ukrainian control.

Presidential advisor Oleksiy Arestovych wrote that despite earlier reports that half the city was under Russian control, it has now returned fully to Ukrainian control.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497657843629109256

An awful lot of Russian generals are about to suffer nasty accidents, aren't they?
This discussion has been closed.