Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Final reminder: PB’s 18th Birthday Party – Wednesday 6.30pm – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,727
edited March 2022 in General
imageFinal reminder: PB’s 18th Birthday Party – Wednesday 6.30pm – politicalbetting.com

Thanks to the Smarkets betting exchange for hosting the 18th birthday party for the site at their offices in the scenic setting of St Katherine Docks in London.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,676
    edited February 2022
    Maybe the 17-0 scoreboard make England braver

First like England. Till `springtime in Paris
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    On sera la.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    I would love to come, but it's just impossible for me to get to London on a Wednesday night. A Thursday or a Friday would have been different.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904
    Ash Wednesday so I'm required on service duty. Shame. Have a good one.
  • Options

Shit. Does Lent begin on or after Wednesday?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Shit. Does Lent begin on or after Wednesday?
    On Wednesday.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,413

I would love to come, but it's just impossible for me to get to London on a Wednesday night. A Thursday or a Friday would have been different.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Thanks for sharing.
    You are very welcome.
  • Options
    Alas I won't be able to make it but you all have fun there.
  • Options

Nope. Still not out second gear England. Only got a lead through grinding the gearbox. 🙄
  • Options

Yup, France look really decent.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    edited February 2022
    Won't be able to make it as I'm juggling holiday & paternity in May as it is, so I hope everyone has a great time
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,552
    Been pretty busy these past few days so sadly won't be able to make this. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Fuck's sake.

Come on Vlad, nuke Wales now.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,313
    Hungary will support all European Union sanctions against Russia and will not block anything, Prime Minister Viktor Orban said on Saturday, speaking on the Ukrainian-Hungarian border.

"Hungary made clear that we support all the sanctions, so we will block nothing, so what the prime ministers of the European Union are able to agree, we accept it and we support it," he told reporters in English.

"This is the time to be united, it's a war," he said, adding that peace efforts were the most important.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hungary-wont-block-any-sanctions-against-russia-pm-orban-says-2022-02-26/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    pigeon said:

Just last week Germany was going to do zilch. As AJP Taylor said, war makes History speed up.

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1497634371343319041

Breaking: German government just decided to deliver 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 "Stinger" surface-to-air missiles from Bundeswehr stocks to Ukraine to support the country against Russian attack.

"The weapons will be delivered to Ukraine as soon as possible," spox said.

Chancellor Olaf Scholz: "The Russian invasion of Ukraine marks a turning point. It threatens our entire post-war order. In this situation, it is our duty to do our utmost to support Ukraine in defending itself against Vladimir Putin's invading army.GER stands closely by Ukraine."

Pull your finger out Germany - and get those 500 Stingers there tonight.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Just last week Germany was going to do zilch. As AJP Taylor said, war makes History speed up.

Breaking: German government just decided to deliver 1,000 anti-tank weapons and 500 "Stinger" surface-to-air missiles from Bundeswehr stocks to Ukraine to support the country against Russian attack.

Chancellor Olaf Scholz: "The Russian invasion of Ukraine marks a turning point. It threatens our entire post-war order. In this situation, it is our duty to do our utmost to support Ukraine in defending itself against Vladimir Putin's invading army.GER stands closely by Ukraine."

Finally and welcome
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,289
    Incredible scoop by @bbcrussian here, revealing that Chechen dictator Ramzan Kadyrov was one of few Russian officials informed about war well ahead of time. Up to 10,000 of Kadyrov's forces currently deployed in Ukraine. https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1497632971548856322
  • Options
    Looks like Germany is finally providing Ukraine with weapons.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    edited February 2022

Looks like Germany is finally providing Ukraine with weapons.

With 27 countries now supplying weapons to Ukraine, Russia is de facto fighting NATO weaponry
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    Scott_xP said:

Incredible scoop by @bbcrussian here, revealing that Chechen dictator Ramzan Kadyrov was one of few Russian officials informed about war well ahead of time. Up to 10,000 of Kadyrov's forces currently deployed in Ukraine. https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1497632971548856322

Not your wet teenage forced conscripts; rather, a particularly nasty bunch of bastards. Hopefully the Ukrainians slaughter as many of them as possible.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    edited February 2022
    pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

Not your wet teenage forced conscripts; rather, a particularly nasty bunch of bastards. Hopefully the Ukrainians slaughter as many of them as possible.
    All of them
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

pigeon said:

Their principles were obviously very important.

Why couldn't they have decided this in the first five minutes after Ukraine was invaded?

They've been shamed into this.
    Better late than never.
  • Options
    Worrying Twitter posts about Russia targeting Ukrainian nuclear power stations..
  • Options

pigeon said:

Finally and welcome
    The snow globe of settled international understandings has been given a vigorous shake.

It does look like everybody bar Russia and Belarus now wants to see Ukraine come through - and will do whatever they can to deliver.
  • Options

Hungary will support all European Union sanctions against Russia and will not block anything, Prime Minister Viktor Orban said on Saturday, speaking on the Ukrainian-Hungarian border.

"Hungary made clear that we support all the sanctions, so we will block nothing, so what the prime ministers of the European Union are able to agree, we accept it and we support it," he told reporters in English.

"This is the time to be united, it's a war," he said, adding that peace efforts were the most important.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hungary-wont-block-any-sanctions-against-russia-pm-orban-says-2022-02-26/

One reads elsewhere that Putin asked Kazakhstan to send troops. They refused, and declined to recognise the Donbas puppet statelets for good measure.

He's running out of mates, and I doubt that the likes of Iran, Cuba and Venezuela are going to be of very much use in this fight.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,798

Worrying Twitter posts about Russia targeting Ukrainian nuclear power stations..

I'd sure hate to live in a country downwind from that. [Checks map]. Oh.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Finally and welcome
    The snow globe of settled international understandings has been given a vigorous shake.

It does look like everybody bar Russia and Belarus now wants to see Ukraine come through - and will do whatever they can to deliver.
    Well, Burma* expressed their support for Russia, so there's that.

*Nah, don't, I'm going with Burma now. Because fuck those guys.
  • Options

If those mad bastards precipitate another Chernobyl it will send a cloud of radioactive shit all round the world. Even Xi won't want anything to do with them after that.

It would also arguably constitute an act of war against the remainder of Europe.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,271
    Happy 18th birthday, my employer will be providing my wining and dining elsewhere in the city that evening but hope you all have fun.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

It'll be fine, we survived the last time there were nuclear accidents in Ukraine, but more importantly, we'll get sequels to the great drama series that was Chernobyl.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,965
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

At the moment, the Balkans and Italy are downwind. Plus Romania and Hungary.
  • Options
    On the highway out of Kyiv - the Ukrainians have ripped down the road signs so the Russians get lost and put up another one that says "good luck"
    https://twitter.com/JamesERothwell/status/1497614678377349120

My Ukrainian friend (currently hiding in a bomb shelter in Kharkiv) explains that the Ukrainian phrase "Good Luck" is a well known visual pun in Russian translation

In Ukrainian: НЕХАЙ ЩАСТИТЬ = Good Luck

In Russian: НЕХУЙ ШАСТАТЬ = (a v rude version of) Please Go Away

#Ukraine
    https://twitter.com/StewartWood/status/1497625200057364483
  • Options

Farooq said:

It'll be fine, we survived the last time there were nuclear accidents in Ukraine, but more importantly think about, we'll get sequels to the great drama series that was Chernobyl.
    Still haven't watched it, so no spoilers please. I'm guessing the save the day in the nick of time and then everyone goes home and has a nice bowl of borscht.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Farooq said:

It'll be fine, we survived the last time there were nuclear accidents in Ukraine, but more importantly, we'll get sequels to the great drama series that was Chernobyl.
    Chernobyl 2: This Time It's Personal
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

It'll be fine, we survived the last time there were nuclear accidents in Ukraine, but more importantly think about, we'll get sequels to the great drama series that was Chernobyl.
    Still haven't watched it, so no spoilers please. I'm guessing the save the day in the nick of time and then everyone goes home and has a nice bowl of borscht.
    Oh see it, it is one of the greatest shows in the history of television.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

On the highway out of Kyiv - the Ukrainians have ripped down the road signs so the Russians get lost and put up another one that says "good luck"

My Ukrainian friend (currently hiding in a bomb shelter in Kharkiv) explains that the Ukrainian phrase "Good Luck" is a well known visual pun in Russian translation

#Ukraine

A bit mealy mouthed?

НЕХУЙ ШАСТАТЬ = fuck you says google translate
  • Options
    🔴 EXCLUSIVE: Thousands of Russians are trying to reach the United States to claim political asylum and avoid being drafted to the army

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/02/26/thousands-russians-flee-us-escape-conscription-amid-ukraine/
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

#Ukraine

It’s like the episode of dads army where Godfrey made a sign for Eastgate.
  • Options
    Oh FFS.....
  • Options
    If Wales win this match I will give up following/watching Rugby Union forever.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Been pretty busy these past few days so sadly won't be able to make this. Enjoy.

I had you down as a Londoner? If I can make it from nearly Cornwall..;
  • Options

Farooq said:

At the moment, the Balkans and Italy are downwind. Plus Romania and Hungary.
    No Christmas card for Vlad from Viktor this year, then.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Ukrainian presidential adviser says about 3,500 Russian troops have been killed and injured so far in war against Ukraine, @Reuters is reporting.

It's not immediately possible to independently verify such figures

Adviser also says Russian attack on Kyiv isn't advancing

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1497642577260122116
  • Options
    I'm hoping to make it - what's the latest I can send an email to Smarkets?
  • Options

pigeon said:

Why couldn't they have decided this in the first five minutes after Ukraine was invaded?

And doubtless the UK will have to be shamed into helping the Ukrainian refugees in due course.
  • Options
    Rugby is just penalty after penalty
  • Options
    I am as mad as anyone about what is going on, but have been trying to resist the urge to call for or glorify death. Anyone fighting for Russia is doing so under orders from a dictator. The tragedy is that the Ukranians have been forced in to defending themselves in this way.
  • Options
    Highly unlikely to make it up from Devon - have a great birthday, pb.com. Will there be cake?
  • Options
    darkage said:

I am as mad as anyone about what is going on, but have been trying to resist the urge to call for or glorify death. Anyone fighting for Russia is doing so under orders from a dictator. The tragedy is that the Ukranians have been forced in to defending themselves in this way.

Yebbut "just following orders" isn't really much of a defence if you're being asked to subjugate and kill innocent people.
    Russian, even the ones wielding the guns, are not stupid.
  • Options

Highly unlikely to make it up from Devon - have a great birthday, pb.com. Will there be cake?

Only if the birthday party was held in Number 10.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

And doubtless the UK will have to be shamed into helping the Ukrainian refugees in due course.
    As we should. My local council will be contacting the govt to see what we can do to help and if we can take people.
  • Options

I'm hoping to make it - what's the latest I can send an email to Smarkets?

All we know is that there's still no contact with the colony and that a xenomorph may be involved.
  • Options
    Have fun all. Sorry I can't make it.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,977

pigeon said:

On balance I think it’s good we have countries like Germany and Italy with a different point of view and scepticism about actions against Russia. Equally good to have ultra hawks like Poland and Estonia. As JFK famously discovered during the Bay of Pigs, groupthink is dangerous. I fancy Putin is discovering something similar now (but hopefully not learning the lesson). Ideas and strategies need healthy challenge. It means that when, for example, SWIFT gets pulled from Russia the implications will have been properly debated and understood.
  • Options

BREAKING: Ukrainian presidential adviser says about 3,500 Russian troops have been killed and injured so far in war against Ukraine, @Reuters is reporting.

If true that’s about the same as the total number of coalition deaths in Afghanistan for the whole period of the occupation.
  • Options
    NEW: Abramovich announces he is "giving trustees of Chelsea’s charitable Foundation the stewardship and care of Chelsea FC".

Statement from Club Owner Roman Abramovich https://link.chelseafc.com/1WUW/e1f594e2 via @ChelseaFC
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    darkage said:

Whilst I feel some sympathy for the young Russians being sent to the deaths, we should not shy away from the fact that this is war and we very much know which side we're on.
  • Options
    TimS said:

pigeon said:

On balance I think it’s good we have countries like Germany and Italy with a different point of view and scepticism about actions against Russia. Equally good to have ultra hawks like Poland and Estonia. As JFK famously discovered during the Bay of Pigs, groupthink is dangerous. I fancy Putin is discovering something similar now (but hopefully not learning the lesson). Ideas and strategies need healthy challenge. It means that when, for example, SWIFT gets pulled from Russia the implications will have been properly debated and understood.
    I like this way of thinking.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 597

Apart from the 4 tries.....
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,385
    edited February 2022
    TimS said:

pigeon said:

I'm not sure Germany and Italy having a different point of view always works out well.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

darkage said:

Whilst I feel some sympathy for the young Russians being sent to the deaths, we should not shy away from the fact that this is war and we very much know which side we're on.
    They might be conscripts, but soldiers are normally reckoned fair game. The Ukies need to kill as many Moskali as they can.
  • Options

TimS said:

pigeon said:

I'm not sure Germany and Italy having a different point of view always works out well.
    What are you referring to here? Teutoburg Forest?
  • Options
    TimS said:

pigeon said:

Fuck shit. Uncle Vova needs a bullet in the back of the head.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    edited February 2022
    Interesting comment from Orban on BBC - one might read it as meaning his usual methods are indeed just seeking to be 'clever', even as now is not the time for it.

On a visit to Hungary's eastern border with Ukraine, where a steady stream of refugees are crossing, Orban said all European countries, including Hungary, condemned Russia.

“This is not the time to be clever, this is time to be united. It's a war and we have to get the situation back to prior to the war and restore the peace,” he said
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847
    TimS said:

pigeon said:

I think describing Poland and Estonia as ultra hawks is a little inaccurate.

More like, they are next on the list, and know it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,426
    I never want to sit through another last 5 minutes of an England game like that.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Can we have this piece printed up and framed and then sent to Nadine's office so she doesn't forget why BBC's soft power is world beating and worth supporting?

Just a thought.
  • Options
    TimS said:

pigeon said:

Surely it depends on the motivation of the countries. If it's "our we sure this is a good idea?", then fine. But I think it's all about self interest, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    edited February 2022
    TimS said:

pigeon said:

Depending on how swiftly a decision is needed, slight delay is not usually a problem. There was some EU summit last year, or maybe the year before, which went on longer than usual because clearly there was more disagreement that needed to be ironed out. It seemed to me a good thing, as it shouldn't be the case that every summit has already managed to work every little detail out.

That said, some things are pretty black and white and the reasons for seeking to introduce shares of grey are not all sound.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,051

Union.
  • Options
    darkage said:

It depends very much who you are talking about. I wouldn't say I "glorify" death at all, but there are a lot of truly vile people on the Russian side that the world would be better off without.

There's no point in being wet about this. Putin's death, for example, would be a blessing for humanity.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847

Cutting off power and I bet Putin believes that the Ukraine wants to try to make nukes again. He would, after all.
  • Options
    'Need a tow back to Russia?' Ukrainians taunt soldiers after their tank runs out of fuel on its way to Kyiv

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10554929/Video-claims-Ukrainians-mocking-Russian-tank-stuck-without-fuel-road-Kyiv.html
  • Options
    Jordan Pickford is awesome, never doubted him.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Interesting comment from Orban on BBC - one might read it as meaning his usual methods are indeed just seeking to be 'clever', even as now is not the time for it.

On a visit to Hungary's eastern border with Ukraine, where a steady stream of refugees are crossing, Orban said all European countries, including Hungary, condemned Russia.

“This is not the time to be clever, this is time to be united. It's a war and we have to get the situation back to prior to the war and restore the peace,” he said

Of course Orban has a tight election coming up and I’m not sure a pro-Russian stance right now would help him one bit.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I never want to sit through another last 5 minutes of an England game like that.

Same.
  • Options

If Wales win this match I will give up following/watching Rugby Union forever.

Sack Jones in the morning imo. No matter how close to the World Cup. Three games in and we hsvn’t performed yet. 😒

Second rate. Hashtag going backwards
  • Options

Entirely unconvincing English performance. It's like they turned it on and off.

If Wales hadn't conceded so many penalties they'd have won, and deserved to win.
  • Options
    Parsing that statement, Roman Abramovich hasn't handed over ownership of Chelsea has he?

This looks like some PR bullshit.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

darkage said:

But we are not really being confronted with difficult decisions, in the way that people in Russia and Ukraine are, so this type of armchair commentry is problematic and distasteful. I think death in this conflict on both sides is unavoidable, but not something to celebrate. You have to hope that the effects are mitigated, by adherance to things like the Geneva convention.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

They might be conscripts, but soldiers are normally reckoned fair game. The Ukies need to kill as many Moskali as they can.
    Not a word I knew till 2 minutes ago, but apparently used only as an ethnic slur. And what is this "normally considered fair game" shit? I mean, yes, we are all on the Ukr side, but you sound like a Victorian gent reading the ticker in his club and hoping the North is giving the niggers a dam' good pasting.
  • Options
    Breaking

Abramovich hands over his stewardship and care of Chelsea to the trustees of Chelsea charitable foundation
  • Options

TimS said:

pigeon said:

Yes, that's where I'm at: I want him killed.

The world will be safer without him but the transition to a saner Russia afterwards is important too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587

TimS said:

pigeon said:

I think describing Poland and Estonia as ultra hawks is a little inaccurate.

More like, they are next on the list, and know it.
    Estonia today banned Aeroflot from its airspace. Not too much of a detour on its own, though.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Same.
    It's a lot better than a very similar last 5 minutes when they score.
  • Options

I think the gloves are about to come off with artillery/rocket artillery.

But, I think that just digs an even deeper political hole for Putin.
  • Options

Parsing that statement, Roman Abramovich hasn't handed over ownership of Chelsea has he?

Yeah, I think he's made things worse for Chelsea.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,051

Entirely unconvincing English performance. It's like they turned it on and off.

If Wales hadn't conceded so many penalties they'd have won, and deserved to win.
    Nowt wrong with the Welsh quick tap try first half either. Wasn't their fault both England and the ref were all asleep.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    A quick glance at my BF account suggests today’s horse racing tips did well, including the EW long shot from Ms Rabbit. Congratulations all :)
  • Options

I think the gloves are about to come off with artillery/rocket artillery.

But, I think that just digs an even deeper political hole for Putin.
    I read in the Times or FT that the Russian people were told that this would be a liberation and the people of Ukraine would welcome Russian troops.

Seeing Kyiv razed is going to lead to some awkward questions.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

darkage said:

It depends very much who you are talking about. I wouldn't say I "glorify" death at all, but there are a lot of truly vile people on the Russian side that the world would be better off without.

There's no point in being wet about this. Putin's death, for example, would be a blessing for humanity.
    How can you say that for certain? You've no idea what he might be keeping the lid on, or what the future holds.

• Options

TimS said:

pigeon said:

So manly...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Yeah, I think he's made things worse for Chelsea.
    Being rather cynical this is just some protection from him to stop the UK government seizing Chelsea from him.

This is going to be some form over substance.
  • Options

If true that’s about the same as the total number of coalition deaths in Afghanistan for the whole period of the occupation.
    It almost certainly isn't. Due to excitement, assuming an explosion was a hit, and assuming that hit was a kill rather than survived, double-counting and confirmation bias these can be threefold the real numbers.

But, I'd expect 600-1,000 Russian casualties sounds about right. Ukrainian casualties probably not too bad so far but civilian casualties will probably now ratchet-up nastily, I suspect.

They aren't advancing because they're now bringing out the big guns before they try again. Kyiv needs to be emptied of all non-combatant civilians overnight, IMHO.
  • Options
    Just sent an email to Smarkets and booked my train ticket. An evening up in the smoke with good company sounds like just what I need. I even got permission from my wife first :)
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,426
    IanB2 said:

A quick glance at my BF account suggests today’s horse racing tips did well, including the EW long shot from Ms Rabbit. Congratulations all :)

Never doubt the Rabbit.
This discussion has been closed.