Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The outcast in Anchorage: A senate storm brews in Alaska – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,032

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

The Russians are struggling and taking heavy casualties. They are beatable. Our best chance to defeat Putin’s threat to Europe is now. We should be giving Ukraine everything it wants. Despite the risks, that should include a no-fly zone. Putin’s victory would be the greater risk.

https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/status/1497490959235440641

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

He will not nuke us because we’ve shot down some of his planes.

Fucking ludicrous. To do a No Fly Zone you've got to be prepared to a) shoot down Russian aircraft and b) do SEAD/DEAD on the Russian side of the border.

NFZ is basically speedrunning the process of going to war with Russia.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Fck me, I immediately thought this was a piece from years ago, but last week. The Spikedtator..

The Spectator prints all sorts of rubbish. Indeed more rubbish than sensible content, as a rule.
    Its fans including Neil and some PBers are always going on about how successful it is. Interesting to speculate how much the rubbish has contributed to that success.
    Just out of interest have you actually read the article or are you only commenting in ignorance based on a front page?

I haven't read it as I don't have a subscription but I might actually buy a copy just to see what Liddle (who I really, REALLY dislike) is saying.

I would suggest that it is only at that point that it is reasonable to make any valid criticisms rather than just blind knee jerk reactions.
    Is Liddle making a career out of deliberately being hated? To paraphrase Machiavelli, it is far more profitable to be disliked than loved?
    Just had a look at the YouTube of Liddle explaining his views - that the West passed up on various things, including an apparent interest in doing NATO, by Russia.

His thesis is that Russia has historically oscillated between a Western friendly and "Slavic redoubt" attitude.

My only comment is "What would the price be for responding to the overtures?"
    And how serious were those overtures, given the depth of the move away from that position?
    Impossible to say without some direct knowledge...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/04/ex-nato-head-says-putin-wanted-to-join-alliance-early-on-in-his-rule
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

@Nigelb

It's based on data for voluntary forces. In the US it's less than 2% and in the UK under 0.5% at the moment.

In the IDF fewer than 4 percent of women are in combat positions such as tank commanders, infantry, helicopter or fighter pilots and don't forget they have universal conscription too.

Edit: this shouldn't surprise us. You need high levels of testosterone and aggression for close-quarters combat, and significant physical strength and endurance to deal with heavy weaponry and forced marches, so the numbers will always be heavily skewed by biological reality no matter how much we try to convince ourselves to the contrary with our weird present day social-political obsession with identity politics.

it’s a moving target, as the disparity between the UK and US figures suggests, and the Israeli experience makes very clear:
    https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/diplomacy-defense/1637001832-israel-military-a-record-year-for-women-in-combat-units

My anecdotal experience of friends kids joining the forces is that things are changing here, too.

I don’t want to get into a pissing match, but I think on this you’re on balance wrong. The numbers aren’t sufficiently skewed by biology to make much of a difference in a large number of roles - particularly when you’re talking about the very small percentage of the total population which makes up the military.
    I'm not wrong in the slightest. My numbers are factually accurate and absolutely verifiable - look up US numbers, UK numbers or Israel here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Israel_Defense_Forces#:~:text=As of 2011, 88% of,helicopter or fighter pilots, etc.

"As of 2011, 88% of all roles in the IDF were open to female candidates, while women could actually be found in 69% of all positions.[8][9]

In 2014, the IDF said that fewer than 4 percent of women are in combat positions such as light infantry, helicopter or fighter pilots, etc. Rather, they are concentrated in "combat-support".[10]"

"The most notable combat option for women is the Caracal Battalion, which is a light infantry force that is made up of 70 percent female soldiers.[3] The unit undergoes combat infantry training."

If you conscript both men and women, as Israel does, you may well have sufficient numbers to be able to form a mixed combat battalion but numbers will otherwise remain small.

There's a difference between opening up all roles to either men or women and expecting this to result in 50:50 splits in all matters, everywhere, otherwise assuming this must be discrimination.

Down that path madness lies.
    Yes, the insistence on striving for numerical equality is where things go wrong.

The other phenomenon I encounter frequently in my (non military) area of work is the celebration of "all female" or "majority female" teams. I currently work in one of the latter without any problems, but I don't think it is anything worth celebrating. I find the fact that people choose to do so, along with the continuing presence of "womens industry groups" in an industry where most of the leadership of the profession is now female (albeit with some noticeable male bastions) to be indicative of the challenge involved in actually moving towards actual gender equality. In the end, people instinctively fight for advantage and dominance, not equality.
    A unisex armed forces is clearly where we are heading. Has nobody seen Starship Troopers?
    That was unrealistic. Paradoxically, Paul Verhoeven was trying to present it as a dystopian, fascist, future society. But, it's a peculiar form of fascism that sees a failed white male military commander replaced by a Polynesian woman.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

kle4 said:

I haven't read the Spectator in a while but when I did there was good stuff in there. Is Liddle generally representative of its content?

No.

Many of his columns are black humour. Not entirely clear a lot of the time whether he is being serious or not.
    Liddle's columns are among the more entertaining ones, and there's plenty of other good stuff there.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,092

We

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Did we discuss this yesterday evening?

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1497270460396015621

"Jim Pickard
    @PickardJE

@KwasiKwarteng summoned BP chief Bernard Looney this afternoon to explain why it owns a 20% stake in Rosneft, which provides fuel to Russia army
    - Kwarteng also "uneasy" about the fact that Looney sits alongside Putin on the Russian Geographical Society board"

Crikey, that’s pretty pathetic from Kwarteng. This is all public knowledge.
    He knows why. Emphasis is on the *explain*

I’m hearing BP has been told to sell
    Their problem is who will buy it?
    Vitol. Cargill. Gunvor 😂
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Ms. Heathener, being against woke bullshit only equates to being far right in the fantastical imagination of the far left who are so love in with the woke stuff to start with.

It's just a regurgitation of "Everyone who disagrees with me is Hitler".

It's more the staggering detachment from reality of the likes of SLeon to be thinking that gender-neutral toilets and the like should be high up the list of existential threats to the world
    One interesting thing, and I am sure Putin disapproves, is that Ukraine is becoming more Woke. Sure, older attitudes persist, but culture change takes time.

This is Kyiv Pride before the pandemic:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48738251

One of the Ukranian gold medalists at the Olympics is black, and now also an MP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhan_Beleniuk

Women are 10% of Ukranian military, and serve in all roles, including combat, with equal rights.

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2022/0223/We-want-to-keep-Ukraine-free.-Why-women-rise-in-Ukraine-army

Indeed one of their recent pilot casualties was this young woman:

https://twitter.com/diwanshu_tomar/status/1497354469201571842?t=E5GN3rZ3S-_C3j5ks-fDkg&s=19

Being Woke doesn't seem to be impairing their will to fight. Indeed it seems to be a powerful motivating factor. A freedom worth fighting for.
    There is nothing fiercer in nature than a mother protecting her offspring. Ukrainian mothers will be protecting their offspring. If they have the weapons to do so, so much the better.
    That was a key point in an old Sweeney episode.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    edited February 2022

Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

If Google Maps is anything to go by, the Russians have completely penetrated downtown Kyiv.

Google Maps shows troop positions now?
    It shows current traffic congestion in Kyiv.

Most roads fairly clear but congestion on the bridge.

How weird is seeing that, live from a battlefield?
    The bridge is now closed. Several roads are now closed including the E95 north of Kyiv.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,199
    Twitter blocked in Russia. Putin's disinformation war. https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1497523148362862593
  • Options

Nigelb said:

@Nigelb

It's based on data for voluntary forces. In the US it's less than 2% and in the UK under 0.5% at the moment.

In the IDF fewer than 4 percent of women are in combat positions such as tank commanders, infantry, helicopter or fighter pilots and don't forget they have universal conscription too.

Edit: this shouldn't surprise us. You need high levels of testosterone and aggression for close-quarters combat, and significant physical strength and endurance to deal with heavy weaponry and forced marches, so the numbers will always be heavily skewed by biological reality no matter how much we try to convince ourselves to the contrary with our weird present day social-political obsession with identity politics.

it’s a moving target, as the disparity between the UK and US figures suggests, and the Israeli experience makes very clear:
    https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/diplomacy-defense/1637001832-israel-military-a-record-year-for-women-in-combat-units

My anecdotal experience of friends kids joining the forces is that things are changing here, too.

I don’t want to get into a pissing match, but I think on this you’re on balance wrong. The numbers aren’t sufficiently skewed by biology to make much of a difference in a large number of roles - particularly when you’re talking about the very small percentage of the total population which makes up the military.
    I'm not wrong in the slightest. My numbers are factually accurate and absolutely verifiable - look up US numbers, UK numbers or Israel here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Israel_Defense_Forces#:~:text=As of 2011, 88% of,helicopter or fighter pilots, etc.

"As of 2011, 88% of all roles in the IDF were open to female candidates, while women could actually be found in 69% of all positions.[8][9]

In 2014, the IDF said that fewer than 4 percent of women are in combat positions such as light infantry, helicopter or fighter pilots, etc. Rather, they are concentrated in "combat-support".[10]"

"The most notable combat option for women is the Caracal Battalion, which is a light infantry force that is made up of 70 percent female soldiers.[3] The unit undergoes combat infantry training."

If you conscript both men and women, as Israel does, you may well have sufficient numbers to be able to form a mixed combat battalion but numbers will otherwise remain small.

There's a difference between opening up all roles to either men or women and expecting this to result in 50:50 splits in all matters, everywhere, otherwise assuming this must be discrimination.

Sure, even in the Red Army in WWII, where, in principle, every post was open to a woman, 97% of those who served were men.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

I planned to plant tulips and daffodils on my backyard today. Instead, I learn to fire arms and get ready for the next night of attacks on #Kyiv. We are not going anywhere.

This is our #city, our #land, our soil. We will fight for it. So next week I can plant my flowers. Here.
    https://twitter.com/kiraincongress/status/1497525044007870465/photo/1

I hardly dare question the authenticity of your tweet -- but aren't daffodil/tulip bulbs planted in the autumn?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

It also meant that machine tools were a problem. So the final drives for the Panther tank were simple and rubbish, rather than helical gears. So they broke down all the time.

Interesting. I heard it the other way round, that the German tanks were precision machines requiring delicate maintenance, so broke down a lot. Think supercars. Unlike Russian T34s

See also Kalashnikov versus M14
    Post WWII, German generals came up with a lot of pathetic excuses for losing eg mice ate the wires in the tanks/we were defeated by the weather/we had the right plans to win, but that madman Hitler wouldn't follow them.

Everything that went wrong for the Germans went wrong for the Soviets, but the latter won because they because their will to win was stronger.
    The US, the UK and Russia all followed a procurement path of keeping the number of types of weapon small, with moderate capabilities and emphasising production in numbers.

So the US made a zillion Shermans, the Russians T-34s, while the Germans struggled to make a handful of Tigers.....
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

OllyT said:

I agree with BigG that right now is not quite the time.

Tory MPs agree with you

There has unsurprisingly been a mood-shift in Westminster this week.
    "Whether the PM was truthful about the parties is obviously important, but [the Ukraine-Russia crisis] is really, really fucking important,” a former cabinet minister told @adampayne26.
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/russia-ukraine-westminster-unite

The will still of course be massive fall-out if the Met decide to issue Boris Johnson a FPN over parties in the coming weeks, but many believe given the magnitude of the current crisis, the moment for a leadership challenge has passed... for now.

Story: https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/russia-ukraine-westminster-unite
    The system is set up so that if Brady receives the requisite number of letters, he phones the MPs to check they still want to proceed, suspend or withdraw their letters. It won't get the numbers needed to proceed during the current crisis.

Equally, I am told that the numbers will be there once the immediate crisis abates if the Met or Grey reports don't give the PM a clean bill of health.
    Only if the PM is fined by the Met or the Tories face massive losses in the local elections in May will the PM face a VONC now.

Though if Sunak is also fined his leadership chances would be ended too and Hunt or Truss would likely become PM
    Johnson is secure until 2023 now at least as long as the Tories lose less than 300 seats in the local elections.

Opinium may even show a Tory lead tonight which could boost Johnson.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

The Russians are struggling and taking heavy casualties. They are beatable. Our best chance to defeat Putin’s threat to Europe is now. We should be giving Ukraine everything it wants. Despite the risks, that should include a no-fly zone. Putin’s victory would be the greater risk.

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

Fucking ludicrous. To do a No Fly Zone you've got to be prepared to a) shoot down Russian aircraft and b) do SEAD/DEAD on the Russian side of the border.

So far, the Russian military is resembling a paper tiger.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

Yes, but Russia seems to go to war with who it wants with impunity. There has to be a line.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,263

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Multiple videos on social media of Russian military out of fuel, food and stuck on highways https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1497485623225200640/video/1

The RAC are currently estimating a 27 weeks before they arrive.....
    Anyone remember the Cold War jokes about if the Russians invaded the UK, they would be stuck for ever in a contraflow on the M20?
    Point of order. The “missing link” of the M20 between Ashford and Maidstone wasn’t finished until the Cold War was all but over.

I bet you all come on here for that sort of insightful commentary.
    You are on FIRE with your Kent commentary today....
    Thank you! I do my best to provide you all with only the most scintillating updates on the Garden of England.
  • Options
    Russian restricting Twitter and Facebook, an admission it is dawning on them they are losing the information war.
    https://twitter.com/scribblercat/status/1497541233211756549
  • Options
    The mayor of Kyiv, boxing champion Klitschko, is LIVE on Bild TV speaking in German about last night’s fighting. The other war is fought on social media/ public opinion. Zelenskiy allowed a Bild crew to embed with him for days before war broke out.
    https://twitter.com/mariatad/status/1497543713983275018
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,633

A curious tightness has developed in my chest that I can only express as anxiety and fear that the ridiculous, remarkable, brave and heroic efforts of the Ukrainian people may still so easily all be for absolutely nothing.

I want to agree with post, but hitting like button feels odd. I have that same feeling from about 24 hours, but with me it is a mood of dread at losing, because my analytical brain won’t accept theres a win scenario.
    I wish I could be like some posters, that it won’t be failure if it leaves us hero’s and martyrs.

I am also crossing out the word Russian with my brain and reading it as Putin every time now, since so much support for no war from so many Russians, so I don’t want any Russians or Ukrainians to die now. I just want Putin to die. Very mixed up brain and feelings.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited February 2022

Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

Yes, but Russia seems to go to war with who it wants with impunity. There has to be a line.
    If a significant supply chain of munitions to Ukraine from the Polish border builds up things could get interesting.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

Not clear who "we" is in the tweets from Clarke. No way UK would do it without Biden?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

It also meant that machine tools were a problem. So the final drives for the Panther tank were simple and rubbish, rather than helical gears. So they broke down all the time.

Interesting. I heard it the other way round, that the German tanks were precision machines requiring delicate maintenance, so broke down a lot. Think supercars. Unlike Russian T34s

Post WWII, German generals came up with a lot of pathetic excuses for losing eg mice ate the wires in the tanks/we were defeated by the weather/we had the right plans to win, but that madman Hitler wouldn't follow them.

Everything that went wrong for the Germans went wrong for the Soviets, but the latter won because they because their will to win was stronger.
    The US, the UK and Russia all followed a procurement path of keeping the number of types of weapon small, with moderate capabilities and emphasising production in numbers.

So the US made a zillion Shermans, the Russians T-34s, while the Germans struggled to make a handful of Tigers.....
    Both Communism and industrial capitalism are socio-economic systems that are much better suited for waging war than fascism and national socialism. The latter are hamstrung by ideology (keep women out of the workplace, our enemies are biologically inferior, slave labour and confiscating resources are effective means of running a modern economy etc.)
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Fck me, I immediately thought this was a piece from years ago, but last week. The Spikedtator..

It’s a perfectly legitimate view. One held by Emmanuel Macron, I believe

The Putin of 10 years ago was a very different beast. Lucid, clever, sane. A ruthless patriot, a brutal soldier, but amenable to logic. Perhaps we could have handled him better; certainly our rapid expansion of NATO right up to his borders, immediately after the humiliating collapse of the USSR now appears questionable

Does any of this excuse Putin’s satanic and pointless assault on Ukraine? Of course not. It’s pure evil. It’s also pointless even for mad dog Putin, it might well backfire quickly and even if he “wins” in the short term he loses in the end. What’s the endgame for him? I can’t see a good one
    Your analysis doesn't account for the long gap -- some 6-8 years -- between the Baltic states' accession to NATO and Putin going "bad".

It's easy to compress timelines when looking at the past, but Putin was acting fairly sensibly long after 2004. All the attempts to explain this in terms of NATO membership or the Iraq war fall down on the same point, and until someone even tries to account for that huge time lag, I do not take such a view seriously.
    You might be right. I’d have to go back and look
    at the timelines. But we agree there was a time when Putin was “sensible” - and that seems to be Liddle’s point (tho I haven’t read the article, just the headline, and Liddle does say some foolish things to provoke)

Either way Andrew Neil is quite right. One big reason we hate the new mad Putin is that he wants to crush free speech and dissent. Free speech means seeing printed opinions you might fiercely dislike
    How does one reconcile the “Putin used to be rational” theory with what he did to Chechnya?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Ms. Heathener, being against woke bullshit only equates to being far right in the fantastical imagination of the far left who are so love in with the woke stuff to start with.

It's just a regurgitation of "Everyone who disagrees with me is Hitler".

It's more the staggering detachment from reality of the likes of SLeon to be thinking that gender-neutral toilets and the like should be high up the list of existential threats to the world
    One interesting thing, and I am sure Putin disapproves, is that Ukraine is becoming more Woke. Sure, older attitudes persist, but culture change takes time.

This is Kyiv Pride before the pandemic:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48738251

One of the Ukranian gold medalists at the Olympics is black, and now also an MP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhan_Beleniuk

Women are 10% of Ukranian military, and serve in all roles, including combat, with equal rights.

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2022/0223/We-want-to-keep-Ukraine-free.-Why-women-rise-in-Ukraine-army

Indeed one of their recent pilot casualties was this young woman:

https://twitter.com/diwanshu_tomar/status/1497354469201571842?t=E5GN3rZ3S-_C3j5ks-fDkg&s=19

Being Woke doesn't seem to be impairing their will to fight. Indeed it seems to be a powerful motivating factor. A freedom worth fighting for.
    There is nothing fiercer in nature than a mother protecting her offspring. Ukrainian mothers will be protecting their offspring. If they have the weapons to do so, so much the better.
    That was a key point in an old Sweeney episode.
    "Get yer knickers on and make me a Molotov cocktail...."
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993

A curious tightness has developed in my chest that I can only express as anxiety and fear that the ridiculous, remarkable, brave and heroic efforts of the Ukrainian people may still so easily all be for absolutely nothing.

Do not fear - be like Zelensky and be positive. Ukraine will win. Putin will be hanging from a lamp-post sooner rather than later.

Celebrate the fact that in a cynical world people still prepared to fight and die for their homes and family and freedom - it’s a good thing even though it should never have to happen.

Get out in the sunshine and be grateful for your life and go to a pub and have a few beers.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Russian restricting Twitter and Facebook, an admission it is dawning on them they are losing the information war.

The North Korean / Chinese approach. It won't work, because despite state censorship of the official press and TV media, other information controls have been relatively relaxed during Putin's time, somewhat like Erdogan's Turkey. You can't suddenly turn off all awareness of the outside world to a reasonably globally aware population, who've had at least 10 years of controlled but not fully restricted information.

Erdogan's Turkey was nearly brought down by the same issue in 2015.
  • Options
    If you need cheering up, consider that it is the job of some nepotistally appointed corrupt old Russian general to crawl into Putin's office once an hour with nothing but bad news.
    https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1497542628979527684
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

I would suggest, that more effective than a 'No Fly Zone' and a lot less risky would be to publicly announce that any Russian pilot who 'defects' and lands there aircraft at a NATO airbase, will receive £10,000,000, and UK imidiat citizenship for him and his family.

Even if only one or two defect this way the publicity/moral victory will be massive. and perhaps more impotently the Russian High Command will be warred about althriseing air missions - incase their pilots defect.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Twitter blocked in Russia. Putin's disinformation war. https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1497523148362862593

Like the RU young people wont notice that social media is being blocked and start to seriously ask why?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

Drunks led by donkeys?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

Both Communism and industrial capitalism are socio-economic systems that are much better suited for waging war than fascism and national socialism. The latter are hamstrung by ideology (keep women out of the workplace, our enemies are biologically inferior, slave labour and confiscating resources are effective means of running a modern economy etc.)
    The German problems with procurement were less about the National Socialism and more about the Pre WWII attitude towards mass production - It was despised as inferior and un-German. The German military procurement system emphasised lost of different manufacturers, lots of different machines for the same task, and complex designs for optimum technical performance.

Ironically, it was the Nazis who admired the modern methods of Ford and tried to import them into Germany.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Scott_xP said:

Like the RU young people wont notice that social media is being blocked and start to seriously ask why?

Do Russian young people use Twitter or is if exclusively VK?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

kle4 said:

I haven't read the Spectator in a while but when I did there was good stuff in there. Is Liddle generally representative of its content?

No.

Many of his columns are black humour. Not entirely clear a lot of the time whether he is being serious or not.
    Liddle's columns are among the more entertaining ones, and there's plenty of other good stuff there.
    He certainly enjoys a good bout of woke-baiting.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,563

Scott_xP said:

The North Korean / Chinese approach. It won't work, because despite state censorship of the official press and TV media, other information controls have been relatively relaxed during Putin's time, somewhat like Erdogan's Turkey. You can't suddenly turn off awareness of the outside world to a reasonably globally aware population, over many years.
    Personally I don't want anyone to die. I want all to live rich, full lives, and experience the joy of this earthly existence because we all deserve to. The situation is terrible, but we can only hope that the eventual outcome is somethi f that benefits the people who continue to live in that part of the world.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

Well, if your line is lets have a war with Russia right now that's cool. But let's not delude ourselves that NFZ is a low risk option.

It would have to launched from Amari (Estonia), Siauliai, (Lithuania) and/or Malbork (Poland) so that inevitably drags them and NATO into a full blown war with Russia.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,341
    nico679 said:

I really do feel that this time is different and Putin has crossed a line that won’t be forgotten .

The impact of seeing a country who previously didn’t have freedoms, then moved to a democracy and now is fighting once again for its freedoms has had a huge emotional impact on many across the world .

You’d have to have a heart of stone to not be effected by what’s unfolding.

Yes, it's kicked the table over. A large democratic country in Europe invaded and colonized by its neighbour. A truly shocking thing.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Scott_xP said:

If he is blocking it now indicates things have changed, not gone to plan and he is he is scared.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,539
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

The Putin of 10 years ago was a very different beast. Lucid, clever, sane. A ruthless patriot, a brutal soldier, but amenable to logic. Perhaps we could have handled him better; certainly our rapid expansion of NATO right up to his borders, immediately after the humiliating collapse of the USSR now appears questionable

Does any of this excuse Putin’s satanic and pointless assault on Ukraine? Of course not. It’s pure evil. It’s also pointless even for mad dog Putin, it might well backfire quickly and even if he “wins” in the short term he loses in the end. What’s the endgame for him? I can’t see a good one
    Your analysis doesn't account for the long gap -- some 6-8 years -- between the Baltic states' accession to NATO and Putin going "bad".

It's easy to compress timelines when looking at the past, but Putin was acting fairly sensibly long after 2004. All the attempts to explain this in terms of NATO membership or the Iraq war fall down on the same point, and until someone even tries to account for that huge time lag, I do not take such a view seriously.
    at the timelines. But we agree there was a time when Putin was “sensible” - and that seems to be Liddle’s point (tho I haven’t read the article, just the headline, and Liddle does say some foolish things to provoke)

Either way Andrew Neil is quite right. One big reason we hate the new mad Putin is that he wants to crush free speech and dissent. Free speech means seeing printed opinions you might fiercely dislike
    How does one reconcile the “Putin used to be rational” theory with what he did to Chechnya?
    That was bloody and disgusting, yet still rational

You can be ruthless and logical at the same time. Remember Obama dropped more drones than any prior US president. State sanctioned, extra judicial murder. Was Obama mad?

Ditto Xi. Literally a genocidal dictator. Yet still rational. Open to logical persuasion if he can see the advantage
  • Options

It will never be for "nothing". Even if Putin gets his act in gear and takes the whole country, he then has to hold it against these same brave and heroic people. He will never be able to relax again.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    boulay said:

Do not fear - be like Zelensky and be positive. Ukraine will win. Putin will be hanging from a lamp-post sooner rather than later.

Celebrate the fact that in a cynical world people still prepared to fight and die for their homes and family and freedom - it’s a good thing even though it should never have to happen.

Get out in the sunshine and be grateful for your life and go to a pub and have a few beers.

Chapeau for your post. This does help.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

Well, if your line is lets have a war with Russia right now that's cool. But let's not delude ourselves that NFZ is a low risk option.

It would have to launched from Amari (Estonia), Siauliai, (Lithuania) and/or Malbork (Poland) so that inevitably drags them and NATO into a full blown war with Russia.
    Oh don’t get me wrong, I am well aware that a NFZ essentially means you have to be willing to shoot down Russian aircraft. High risk indeed.
  • Options
    THREAD 1/7 Intel from a Ukrainian officer about a meeting in Putin’s lair in Urals. Oligarchs convened there so no one would flee. Putin is furious, he thought that the whole war would be easy and everything would be done in 1-4 days. @EPPGroup @general_ben @edwardlucas @politico https://twitter.com/RihoTerras/status/1497537193346220038/photo/1
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    BigRich said:

Scott_xP said:

If he is blocking it now indicates things have changed, not gone to plan and he is he is scared.
    Be interesting to see the size of the Stop The War demonstrations across Russia this weekend. Putin must have feared Twitter was being used to organise.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Just wondering. Is this a rare if not unique occasion of a geopolitical event completely uniting PB?

Do we have a single PB-er cheering on Putin and the Russians? I can’t think of one

A momentous unanimity. Which says something in itself given the wide variety of opinions on here

You REALLY have to be a contrarian to be cheering on Putin.

Or a Trumpist Republican.

Be entertaining if Putin's greatest achievement is keeping the White House Democrat controlled for a couple of decades.
    Yes - the events of the last few days are a disaster for Trumps hopes in 2024. Those shots of him being best mates with Putin in Helsinki will be wheeled out repeatedly
    CPAC is on at the moment. It seems the Trumpists are either ignoring this altogether, or maintaining some kind of equivalence with their own "invasion" from Mexico.

https://www.salon.com/2022/02/25/cpacs-bloodthirsty-us-conservatives-are-still-warmongering--this-time-for-domestic-battle/
    This could make a real impact on things in the US, I think, more than here. Putin is now public enemy no.1, and Trump is very clearly associated with him - or , to be more specific, has very clearly associated himself with him.
    Besides which, Trumps logic here a five year old could laugh at - it’s the spanics in Texas who should send out a plea to Mexico to invade and save them from the Trump goons.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Do Russian young people use Twitter or is if exclusively VK?
    Young people use Insta like everywhere else.

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

Oh don’t get me wrong, I am well aware that a NFZ essentially means you have to be willing to shoot down Russian aircraft. High risk indeed.
    It doesn't just mean that. You also have to be prepared to bomb S-400 launchers on the Russian side of the border otherwise you're just sending the crews off to die.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

I have tall, floor-to-ceiling sash windows in my London flat. Facing directly south

Every year, in late winter/early spring, there is a day when the sun shines so bright it warms my entire flat - like the heating is on, yet it isn't - and I actually have to open the windows to cool things off.

This is that day, in 2022. It is normally a wonderful day. The departure of winter. Like seeing the first daffodils in a meadow

*sigh*

Friend, the daffodils are Ukraine yellow, the sky Ukraine blue. Take it as a sign that the natural order is with them - and rejoice.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Just wondering. Is this a rare if not unique occasion of a geopolitical event completely uniting PB?

Do we have a single PB-er cheering on Putin and the Russians? I can’t think of one

A momentous unanimity. Which says something in itself given the wide variety of opinions on here

Be entertaining if Putin's greatest achievement is keeping the White House Democrat controlled for a couple of decades.
    Yes - the events of the last few days are a disaster for Trumps hopes in 2024. Those shots of him being best mates with Putin in Helsinki will be wheeled out repeatedly
    CPAC is on at the moment. It seems the Trumpists are either ignoring this altogether, or maintaining some kind of equivalence with their own "invasion" from Mexico.

https://www.salon.com/2022/02/25/cpacs-bloodthirsty-us-conservatives-are-still-warmongering--this-time-for-domestic-battle/
    This could make a real impact on things in the US, I think, more than here. Putin is now public enemy no.1, and Trump is very clearly associated with him - or , to be more specific, has very clearly associated himself with him.
    Besides which, Trumps logic here a five year old could laugh at - it’s the spanics in Texas who should send out a plea to Mexico to invade and save them from the Trump goons.
    Trump will win if the Dems don't do something about how they are turning off the working class and rural voters in spades. Also stop assuming all black and brown people will automatically vote for them.

Assuming Trump will lose because of Putin is a fool's game.

Do many US voters even know who he is, let alone where Ukr is?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Free speech also means being allowed to whine about Woke and being cancelled when someone highlights all-to-predictable contrarianism, or in this case just reproduces an image of the headline of an article. Then everyone can point & laugh at those whiners and their endless attempts to pretend being challenged is some kind of censorship.

It’s great.
    That was one of the interesting things about the runup to indyref 1. The BBC and newspaper journalists went absolutely berserk at seeing direct and often highly intelligent criticism of their output published on social media and the net more generally. Remember in the old days that they could simply bin Letters to the Editor. In the 2010s, not so much ... though BBC Scotland journos, and IIRC one Graun journalist, did start switching off comments on their pieces - quite ironic as the level of debate was rather better than the general UK politics part of the BBC news website.

I am not sure that Mr Neil has recovered from the shock.
    I guess traditional media being challenged by other platforms & individuals is a big theme of the last 20 years, and traditional hacks' outrage at the lèse-majesté of these upstarts is an eternal joy. I also think there's a cultural gap, in that the more delicate sorts confused the standard ripping the pish (or flyting to be posh) of say Scotpol twitter as abuse or threats.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

You can be ruthless and logical at the same time. Remember Obama dropped more drones than any prior US president. State sanctioned, extra judicial murder. Was Obama mad?

Ditto Xi. Literally a genocidal dictator. Yet still rational. Open to logical persuasion if he can see the advantage
    I think that's incorrect.

And what about Litvinenko in 2006? That wasn't exactly a rational thing to do; particularly the method.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_xP said:

A 3-1 ratio of fairly evenly matched tanks probably helped the Soviets a bit.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Trump will win if the Dems don't do something about how they are turning off the working class and rural voters in spades. Also stop assuming all black and brown people will automatically vote for them.

Assuming Trump will lose because of Putin is a fool's game.

Do many US voters even know who he is, let alone where Ukr is?
    Trump turns off suburban voters in spades and they are the ones that matter.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

@Nigelb

Sure, even in the Red Army in WWII, where, in principle, every post was open to a woman, 97% of those who served were men.
    Is it like the Spartans, who recruited/encouraged homosexuals in their army because when sexual partners were in a combat both partners would fight to the death to save the other?
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I would contend that the difference between this and that is how we view the two, not how he does. In his mind it’s much the same, and that’s the miscalculation.
  • Options

It will never be for "nothing". Even if Putin gets his act in gear and takes the whole country, he then has to hold it against these same brave and heroic people. He will never be able to relax again.
    Indeed, Putin has already lost. He will probably capture Kiev and will probably install his puppet. But the Ukrainians will never now accept that and his army will be bled dry whilst he remains a completely isolated and hated figure. He can no longer even control the criticism in his own country and I am completely convinced that this action spells the end for Putin and makes it far more likely that Ukraine will eventually end up inside NATO and, if they want, the EU.
  • Options

Leon said:

I have tall, floor-to-ceiling sash windows in my London flat. Facing directly south

Every year, in late winter/early spring, there is a day when the sun shines so bright it warms my entire flat - like the heating is on, yet it isn't - and I actually have to open the windows to cool things off.

This is that day, in 2022. It is normally a wonderful day. The departure of winter. Like seeing the first daffodils in a meadow

*sigh*

Friend, the daffodils are Ukraine yellow, the sky Ukraine blue. Take it as a sign that the natural order is with them - and rejoice.
    Ooo I know this one.

In winter the swallows fly south comrade.

Remind me. Is this the signal to take Parliament or Lords?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

THREAD 1/7 Intel from a Ukrainian officer about a meeting in Putin’s lair in Urals. Oligarchs convened there so no one would flee. Putin is furious, he thought that the whole war would be easy and everything would be done in 1-4 days. @EPPGroup @general_ben @edwardlucas @politico https://twitter.com/RihoTerras/status/1497537193346220038/photo/1

A remarkable thread, thanks for posting. Is it true? Seems well-informed

The best thing we can do, I reckon, is flood arms into Ukraine to help them resist. Especially anti-tank and anti-air missiles. That's one way the Mujahideen defeated the USSR. With Stinger missiles

"The U.S.-built Stinger antiaircraft missile, supplied to the mujahideen in very large numbers beginning in 1986, struck a decisive blow to the Soviet war effort as it allowed the lightly armed Afghans to effectively defend against Soviet helicopter landings in strategic areas. The Stingers were so renowned and deadly that, in the 1990s, the U.S. conducted a "buy-back" program to keep unused missiles from falling into the hands of anti-American terrorists."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone
  • Options

makes it far more likely that Ukraine will eventually end up inside NATO and, if they want, the EU.

It's a bold move by VZ to push on EU candidate membership. One of the main cases against Ukraine joining over time has been reluctance to provoke Russia. That has somewhat fallen by default now (the clause on "good neighbourly relations" ditto). https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497502946480869378
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The North Korean / Chinese approach. It won't work, because despite state censorship of the official press and TV media, other information controls have been relatively relaxed during Putin's time, somewhat like Erdogan's Turkey. You can't suddenly turn off awareness of the outside world to a reasonably globally aware population, over many years.
    Personally I don't want anyone to die. I want all to live rich, full lives, and experience the joy of this earthly existence because we all deserve to. The situation is terrible, but we can only hope that the eventual outcome is somethi f that benefits the people who continue to live in that part of the world.
    It's a bit late in the game for you to be climbing off Putin's dick now. Get behind ya boi!!
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I think that's incorrect.

And what about Litvinenko in 2006? That wasn't exactly a rational thing to do; particularly the method.
    He had the FSB on a very free rein with defectors from very early on. The KGB policy on former military and intelligence officials, but even looser and bolder to keep his old contacts and network from the 1980's onside.

The real change was in attacking civil society in 2008, I would say. That was the first year that press censorship became basically instiutionalised and overt, journalists started disappearing, and that any real rule of fear began. He was gone.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The Spectator prints all sorts of rubbish. Indeed more rubbish than sensible content, as a rule.
    Its fans including Neil and some PBers are always going on about how successful it is. Interesting to speculate how much the rubbish has contributed to that success.
    Just out of interest have you actually read the article or are you only commenting in ignorance based on a front page?

I haven't read it as I don't have a subscription but I might actually buy a copy just to see what Liddle (who I really, REALLY dislike) is saying.

I would suggest that it is only at that point that it is reasonable to make any valid criticisms rather than just blind knee jerk reactions.
    Is Liddle making a career out of deliberately being hated? To paraphrase Machiavelli, it is far more profitable to be disliked than loved?
    I am sure that the basic premise is right but I just get the impression, having had a fair few personal contacts with him, that Liddle is just an amazingly arrogant and obnoxious character.
  • Options
    Burn...

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    1h
    I appreciate academia is pretty much a one-party state these days and little dissent is tolerated from the left-wing consensus, which you so ably represent. But magazines are still relatively free: I won’t apologise for not forcing my views on my editors or their columnists.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1497520306281324552
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I would contend that the difference between this and that is how we view the two, not how he does. In his mind it’s much the same, and that’s the miscalculation.
    Not quite sure what point you're making

My point is that Chechnya was winnable and Putin won. Brutally but effectively. He now uses Chechen troops as some of his most effective soldiers (they are heading, ominously, for Ukraine)

Ukraine, to me, seems unwinnable for him. Even if he gets his short term goals the long term costs will be incalculable and very negative for Russia. Thus, the act of a man losing his marbles
  • Options
    Leon said:

Is it true? Seems well-informed

The account claims to be Former Chief of Defence of Estonia
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Pretty poor from the Premier League of the Football League that there is no reference to what's happening in Ukraine.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    edited February 2022
    From the Guardian 2-3m ago
    Hungary latest country to back Russia being stopped from using Swift

Hungary has said it supports Russia being shut off from the Swift cross-border financial payments system, according to Poland’s prime minister.
  • Options
    Could be important

"Hungary latest country to back Russia being stopped from using Swift
    Hungary has said it supports Russia being shut off from the Swift cross-border financial payments system, according to Poland’s prime minister."

(Guardian)

Isn't that just about everyone now? Is Italy still resisting?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

A remarkable thread, thanks for posting. Is it true? Seems well-informed

The best thing we can do, I reckon, is flood arms into Ukraine to help them resist. Especially anti-tank and anti-air missiles. That's one way the Mujahideen defeated the USSR. With Stinger missiles

"The U.S.-built Stinger antiaircraft missile, supplied to the mujahideen in very large numbers beginning in 1986, struck a decisive blow to the Soviet war effort as it allowed the lightly armed Afghans to effectively defend against Soviet helicopter landings in strategic areas. The Stingers were so renowned and deadly that, in the 1990s, the U.S. conducted a "buy-back" program to keep unused missiles from falling into the hands of anti-American terrorists."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone
    Both Canada and Latvia are amongst countries that have announced they are sending Stingers to Ukraine.
  • Options

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Reports 27 countries are actively providing weapons to Ukraine

Time for us to unite, stop sniping, and be proud of the response currently on its way from nations across the world

I'm sorry BigG. We in the West have done next to nothing. There is good reason why we have done next to nothing we don't want Putin to escalate this fiasco to involve the EU and the UK.

Clinton's biggest regret was he did nothing about the genocide in Rwanda. We are watching, not genocide, but the destruction of a nation. The upshot either way is thousands of innocents are slaughtered whilst we watch on.

Our declarations "but Ukraine is not in NATO" are sops to ourselves.They are a sovereign nation invaded by an aggressor and we (the West) have sanctioned 70% of Russian banks. Huh, 70%?

Now I don't want British troops involved, I don't want my children conscripted for a world war, but neither can I sit back with satisfaction and claim leaders representing me have done all they can on my behalf, they haven't. In some cases, their vested interests trump my horror.

I don't know how to counter Putin, that is not my job. But neither, it seems, do those whose job it is to deal with Putin.

I am not suggesting a party political or Remainer/ Leave bias here. Whoever they represent, Western leaders have been guilty of dereliction of duty for at least eight years and that includes Starmer and your beloved "Boris".
    When I was calling for us to act against Russia in 2014, 2016 (I think), 2018, etc, etc, where was your voice? Were you in the "Russia's ambitions are detrimental to the world; we need to act hard" camp or the "You're a warmonger risking WWIII" camp?

Because actions then would have been a damned sight easier than they are now. And we still face a threat of WWIII.
    Yes they would, which is why I have cited eight years of inaction and dereliction of duty by Western leaders.

And, don't you blame me. I was outraged that we in the West did nothing about a downed airliner. We begged for permission to recover our bodies. That single act was brushed under the carpet. That represents the West sitting on its hands while Putin toyed with us.

I was with Elwood weeks ago when he demanded NATO boots on the ground in Ukraine. That is recorded here.
    I'm talking about calling for action over the last eight years. This could have been prevented. It should have been prevented. It was predicted.

And yes, a Conservative / coalition government has been in place for that time. But remember Miliband's hideous backturn over the Syria vote? Remember Corbyn, Labour's leader, who pretended to be rather (ahem) anti-war?

Putin has gambled that the west's weaknesses would prevent us from stopping his territorial ambitions. The UK's negligence played into it - but the blame lies all over the west. It was too hard to do, so it wasn't done.

(I'd actually argue May did very well over Salisbury, although it could have been used as a catalyst for firmer actions.)
    I think Putin thinks the West is a wet lettuce.
    IanB2 said:

There are quite a few videos of Russian tanks that have run out of fuel or been abandoned. It seems the have problem with logistics and morale.

I have a colleague in my network who was a Royal Navy captain and really knows his onions.

He's adamant that Russian forces aren't as strong as they look on paper because their raw material, training, and staff work is highly variable, whereas British forces are tip-top.

Basically, his argument was that military effectiveness, just as in all other walks of life, comes down to people and organisational culture.
    Except that the British military tends to have a hugely inflated perception of its own comparative effectiveness. Cf what we were saying about the Americans when we went in to replace them in Basra, brutally exposed as hubris by subsequent events
    Yes, there was a bit of arrogance in there.

He also said that there comes a point where numbers absolutely matter, and the British Army is now tokenistic.

I'm afraid I think we now have to raise defence spending to the point where can deploy at least one fully armed heavy warfighting division on the continent, permanently. I suspect that will require us to expand the British army by 15-20,000 men back up to about 95-100k strong, and probably an extra £12-16bn per year in defence spending.

But I think we have to do it.
    But I'm afraid that this comes back yet again to the incapability of this government (and quite possibly any government that replaces it) to take unpopular decisions.

Most of the public doesn't give a shit about defence. Much of the public has also been squeezed so hard by taxation, ridiculous housing costs, years of stagnant or negative wage growth and now steep inflation that it hasn't much left to give. So, in the end, a massive increase in defence spending can only be funded by soaking the elderly (through ditching automatic increases to the state pension, and extracting property wealth through large increases in IHT and/or the advent of land taxation,) or by taking an axe to core public service spending priorities.

So it won't happen.
    We'll see. My perception is that public opinion is shifting, and the Government can shape it as well as reflect it.
    Even if that is true, the public desire to spend money on anything extends only as far as that money is extracted from someone who isn't them. The nanosecond any Government goes after the gigantic stock of wealth locked up in housing - which is the only way we're going to make serious progress on funding any of the mountain of priorities and disasters that we've somehow got to manage all at the same time - the violent tantrum from the grey vote will be so extreme that it will run away in fright.

All that will end up happening in the end is that working age voters will be bled absolutely white and the whole lot will be sunk into inflating the state pension and desperately trying to clear the backlog of hip operations. The more I contemplate the situation, the more hopeless it looks.
    The gigantic stock of wealth locked up in housing and the freedom to use it will be worth Jack Shit if the West ends up becoming hostage to global autarky because it decided to be impotent and didn't stand up to be counted when it mattered.
    I'm hoping there will be a consensus that rearmament, at a minimum, is required. But I see no sign of this in statements from politicians.

What do we do, as citizens in a democracy, to make this happen?
    Well, I emailed my MP this morning as a start.
    I put off emailing my MP, because they're SNP, and I didn't think it would do any good, but I have anyway sent them this message now.
    ------
    "This email is not easy for me to write. I am proud of my grandfather, who was a conscientious objector during WWII, and served in the Friends Ambulance Unit, helping civilians just behind the front line, in northern France and Germany.

I have opposed British military interventions, bombing campaigns, invasions and wars, as likely to do more harm than good. I have argued that it is better to build peace than to fight war. I have helped to organise marches and meetings against wars. I have been arrested by the police when joining others in peaceful blockades of the Faslane nuclear submarine base. I have opposed selling arms to Saudi Arabia to be used in the war in Yemen.

However, seeing this week the heedless aggression of Putin, the brave determination of Ukrainians to resist, and our relative inability to help defend Ukraine - aside from some weapons shipments - I now feel that it is important we have the capability to defend ourselves, and other countries, from aggressive dictatorships.

The experience of the Trump Presidency is that we cannot rely on being protected by the US and so, like the Ukrainians, we have to look to our own means to provide for our defence, and to work with other like-minded European countries.

I urge you to support a program of British rearmament, so that the British armed forces are expanded and modernised to deal with a world that is more dangerous than three decades ago. Please speak up to support the hard decisions that will have to be made on taxation and spending to provide the funding that we need so that we can make a stand to defeat aggression from dictatorships, whether Russian or otherwise. Please also reach out to MPs from other parties so that a cross-party campaign to support rearmament can be forged."
    I'm looking after my daughter this afternoon but have just dropped in over lunch and a sandwich to read this and I wanted to say: good for you.

Superb email. Thank you.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I am sure that the basic premise is right but I just get the impression, having had a fair few personal contacts with him, that Liddle is just an amazingly arrogant and obnoxious character.
    He was on Pointless Celebrities and I felt that too.

One of the fun’s of pointless is trying to work out who are the nicest people and root for them.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,724
    edited February 2022
  • Options

Burn...

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    1h
    I appreciate academia is pretty much a one-party state these days and little dissent is tolerated from the left-wing consensus, which you so ably represent. But magazines are still relatively free: I won’t apologise for not forcing my views on my editors or their columnists.

Amazing that the oppressive forces of Woke permitted Brillo, publisher of that courageous Samizdat publication The Spectator, to make that tweet.
  • Options

Leon said:

*sigh*

Ha, thanks

I'm not sunk in gloom, but like others I have that knot of anxiety and sadness. Awful times
  • Options

Burn...

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    1h

Amazing that the oppressive forces of Woke permitted Brillo, publisher of that courageous Samizdat publication The Spectator, to make that tweet.
    You know I get the impression that the Woke culture wars bother you more than anyone else. You seem to be the only one commenting one them.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

That might be the most humiliating thing about it for Putin.

He could end up weaker rather than stronger after this.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

*sigh*

Ooo I know this one.

In winter the swallows fly south comrade.

Remind me. Is this the signal to take Parliament or Lords?
    No, just a reminder to our Ukrainian friends to make another 50 Molotov cocktails this afternoon....
  • Options
    Exclusive:

Labour calls on Boris Johnson to expel the Russian ambassador to the UK

"The Russian ambassador is parroting the lies of Putin’s rogue regime, which is waging an illegal war against Ukraine," David Lammy says

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/russia-boris-johnson-ukraine-invasion-ambassador-b2023891.html
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

@Nigelb

Is it like the Spartans, who recruited/encouraged homosexuals in their army because when sexual partners were in a combat both partners would fight to the death to save the other?
    I don't think that the Red Army tolerated homosexuality or lesbianism within its ranks. That was bourgeois decadence.

It took incredible courage for a woman to fight in the Red Army. If the Germans captured them, they were invariably killed, usually after a round of rape and torture beforehand.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,822

Nigelb said:

@Nigelb

I post a piece from last year showing how quickly things can change, and you reply with stats nearly a decade old.

And your point about mass conscription works against your argument. The UK forces recruit a tiny percentage of the population. The real comparison is the abilities of the men and women who apply for the job.

If you seriously think that the top 10% of women who meet the requirements of the army for combat roles wouldn’t kick the buts of the bottom 10% of the men who do likewise, then I think you’re deluded.

Your 1% claim is simply prejudice.
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

My point is that Chechnya was winnable and Putin won. Brutally but effectively. He now uses Chechen troops as some of his most effective soldiers (they are heading, ominously, for Ukraine)

Ukraine, to me, seems unwinnable for him. Even if he gets his short term goals the long term costs will be incalculable and very negative for Russia. Thus, the act of a man losing his marbles
    Which makes him unpredictable and dangerous, of course.

If it does end it ends with Putin losing his office, and possibly his life. I just don't know how many others he will take down with him.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Could be important

"Hungary latest country to back Russia being stopped from using Swift
    Hungary has said it supports Russia being shut off from the Swift cross-border financial payments system, according to Poland’s prime minister."

(Guardian)

Isn't that just about everyone now? Is Italy still resisting?

Nope, Italy publicly agreed this morning as did Cyprus. I think Germany might be the only country holding out now.
  • Options

Burn...

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    1h

You know I get the impression that the Woke culture wars bother you more than anyone else. You seem to be the only one commenting one them.
    Can I just say how touched I am that you've not immediately resorted to calling me a fuckwit.
  • Options
    On Thursday night, the administration signaled Europe wasn’t ready to act on SWIFT. But there has been a marked shift in tone since European finance ministers met yesterday in Paris, with holdouts suggesting they now would. Back to DC. @business

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-26/u-s-puts-banning-russia-from-swift-global-system-back-in-play
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

This is winnable if he raises Ukrainian cities.

My point is that we were never going to ostracise him back then, but we will now. He didn’t and doesn’t care. The two look every different to us, but I fear they look the same to him.
  • Options
    Some striking homepages on Russia's leading independent media websites today.

Absolutely not succumbing to the Kremlin's demands to stop calling Russia's war what it is
    https://twitter.com/JakeCordell/status/1497552233726160896/photo/1
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Macron is doing well. Essentially blockading the channel.

Yes. Something our current generation would not wish to do.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

@Nigelb

I don't think that the Red Army tolerated homosexuality or lesbianism within its ranks. That was bourgeois decadence.

It took incredible courage for a woman to fight in the Red Army. If the Germans captured them, they were invariably killed, usually after a round of rape and torture beforehand.
    Miss Pavlichenko's well known to fame
    Russia's your country, fighting's your game
    Your smile shines as bright as any new morning sun
    More than three hundred nazis felled by your gun
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,701
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

OllyT said:

I agree with BigG that right now is not quite the time.

Tory MPs agree with you

There has unsurprisingly been a mood-shift in Westminster this week.
    "Whether the PM was truthful about the parties is obviously important, but [the Ukraine-Russia crisis] is really, really fucking important,” a former cabinet minister told @adampayne26.
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/russia-ukraine-westminster-unite

The will still of course be massive fall-out if the Met decide to issue Boris Johnson a FPN over parties in the coming weeks, but many believe given the magnitude of the current crisis, the moment for a leadership challenge has passed... for now.

Story: https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/russia-ukraine-westminster-unite
    The system is set up so that if Brady receives the requisite number of letters, he phones the MPs to check they still want to proceed, suspend or withdraw their letters. It won't get the numbers needed to proceed during the current crisis.

Equally, I am told that the numbers will be there once the immediate crisis abates if the Met or Grey reports don't give the PM a clean bill of health.
    Only if the PM is fined by the Met or the Tories face massive losses in the local elections in May will the PM face a VONC now.

Though if Sunak is also fined his leadership chances would be ended too and Hunt or Truss would likely become PM
    Sunak didn't lie to the House....
    If Sunak is fined as well as Boris his leadership campaign would be over as much as Boris' Premiership would be.

Law makers cannot be law breakers and Hunt or Truss would be PM instead
    A very sound principle, young HY. Stick to it!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    biggles said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

By adding a large element of hus self preservation into the equation.
    With time in office he has become one if the globes wealthiest men. That isn't from his official salary.
    With every deal, rouble, knee capping and murder there is another enemy. Another imperitive to close ranks. The goal becomes to stay in power. To be out of power is retribution, court, incarceration or death.
    Since his decision to have more yhan two terms and extend his tenure in permenance his reality sanity and reasons for holding power have been distorted to place his continuation above all else.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Sean_F said:

Dura_Ace said:

Blimey...

David Clark 🇺🇦

@David_K_Clark·3h

David Clark 🇺🇦
    @David_K_Clark·3h

I must admit, I did enjoy reading in the Telegraph this morning how British anti-tank weapons are taking out Russian armour near Kharkiv.

Ukrainian soldiers were shouting 'God Save The Queen', after successful strikes.
    Just saw that and made me smile. We have sent them 2000 of 20k apparently. Send the rest!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

@Nigelb

Historian Mark Felton has a video about how the Germans treated captured female Red Army soldiers. Here - 8 minutes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsjJ5AAKGP0

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Some striking homepages on Russia's leading independent media websites today.

Absolutely not succumbing to the Kremlin's demands to stop calling Russia's war what it is
    https://twitter.com/JakeCordell/status/1497552233726160896/photo/1

A key problem for him. Censorship has never reached everywhere, like Turkey, and as mentioned. This isn't quite Stalin's Russia, yet, although he's a doing very good of looking like he's trying to make it so.
This discussion has been closed.