Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak slipping down in the “Next PM” betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,027
    edited February 2022
    Well I'm never going to London zoo again, or any other zoo in fact, from another PB.

>> Cage awareness <<

The lion sneaks tonight

Though it isn't something they generally care to publicise, there's a story that circulates among staff at London Zoo about the lions there. Apparently, not only are they incredibly clever, but the number of times the lions have managed to escape from their enclosure and wander about the premises for a decent amount of time is – as we heard it – "not zero".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Note too we had a non Oxford graduate as PM just 12 years ago, Gordon Brown and just 13 years before that too, John Major.

Starmer might have an Oxford postgraduate degree but he did his undergraduate degree at Leeds

Brown never won an election and Major did not go to university
    So what, they were still both PMs who did not go to Oxford University
    No grauduate if a University other than Oxfords has led his party to a General Election victory since 1935
    Though Brown, a graduate of Edinburgh, was not outright defeated by Oxford educated Cameron in 2010 and Oxford educated May failed to outright defeat non Oxford educated Corbyn in 2017. Note too non Oxford educated Churchill beat Oxford graduate Attlee in 1951.

However a lot of general elections have been Oxford graduate v Oxford graduate eg 1955, 1959, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1974, 1983, 2001 and 2015 or Oxford v Cambridge ie 2005, so Oxford or at least Oxbridge, could not lose those general elections anyway.
    Oxford does seem to let people down. It’s graduates to tend to go on about it a tad. Life somehow seems to stop there.
    Unless you also become a self made multi-millionaire or a billionaire (or indeed PM) going to Oxford is probably the highlight of your life if you get in
    Without wanting to come across like Andrea Leadsom but having kids is the highlight of the lives of most people.
    That is more continuing the line and investing in their lives, rather than the main achievement in your own life.
    Nope.
    Most of the population have children at some point, family is important but having children is not really an achievement which marks you out from most other people
    Life is entirely about how you impact on others. Yes your work has impact, but your immortality is through the legacy you build through your children. And for so many of us building that legacy is what drives us to work doing we do.

So don't me having kids is ordinary. You post some of the most wrong-headed self-inflating guff and this is perhaps the pinnacle achievement of your career to date.

Will it become immortal? Doubtful.
    Plenty of people don't have children. The idea you are immortal because you have children is absurd, within a few generations all your family will have been born after you died and you will just be part of a family photo album at best.

If you leave a lasting legacy in your field however that can last. Family is important but human beings are more than just baby production factories and your children will ultimately want to lead their own lives too
    Who on earth has suggested you are immortal because you have children

Your views and comments on this would suggest you have not as yet enjoyed becoming a parent and I can tell you with certainty you will not be offering this nonsense when you do, which I genuinely hope you do

It will change your life

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,231
    Cicero said:

Sandpit said:

One 737 and one A319 already having a second attempt to land at Heathrow. The chaos might be about to start.

We were in an aborted landing at Heathrow due to wind and it was really scary but when the pilot was about to touch down and he powered away upwards we were very relieved, though as most of Europe was having the same problems he came in the second time and slapped the wheels onto the runway very hard, and as we taxied we were buffeted quite considerably

Great admiration for the pilots was expressed directly to them by us all as got off the aircraft
    About three years ago, coming into Edinburgh from Helsinki in a big storm, it was a horrid, really turbulent approach and sure enough we had to go around. When we finally did make it down, the passport guys, looking at the green faced, rather subdued passengers were asking us "if you had a good flight?" with rather suppressed glee. In fact the Finnair guys were pretty heroic, since we were the only flight to actually hit the deck and land safely at Turnhouse in about three hours. When I got to the city centre the gusts were so strong you could not walk into them (c 160km/h) , but just stopped until they lessened.
    Had two bad flights. One, years ago was from Southend; we'd won a prize of a trip to Paris and the skinflint organisers booked us Southend to Le Touquet and train to Paris. It was night-time, blowy and very cloudy when we left and the stewardesses kept themselves strapped in. We bounced about for half an hour or so getting increasing worried, then the clouds opened and we saw a (oil) tank farm. Some one said 'That's not Le Touquet' and we realised it was Canvey Island and we were about 10 miles from where we'd started. So they took us back to Southend and we spent the night in an hotel.

The other flight was into Alderney; the wind had got up as we crossed the Channel and we were swaying and bouncing about as we came in very close to the cliffs at one end of the island.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,580
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Note too we had a non Oxford graduate as PM just 12 years ago, Gordon Brown and just 13 years before that too, John Major.

Starmer might have an Oxford postgraduate degree but he did his undergraduate degree at Leeds

No grauduate if a University other than Oxfords has led his party to a General Election victory since 1935
    Though Brown, a graduate of Edinburgh, was not outright defeated by Oxford educated Cameron in 2010 and Oxford educated May failed to outright defeat non Oxford educated Corbyn in 2017. Note too non Oxford educated Churchill beat Oxford graduate Attlee in 1951.

However a lot of general elections have been Oxford graduate v Oxford graduate eg 1955, 1959, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1974, 1983, 2001 and 2015 or Oxford v Cambridge ie 2005, so Oxford or at least Oxbridge, could not lose those general elections anyway.
    Oxford does seem to let people down. It’s graduates to tend to go on about it a tad. Life somehow seems to stop there.
    Unless you also become a self made multi-millionaire or a billionaire (or indeed PM) going to Oxford is probably the highlight of your life if you get in
    Without wanting to come across like Andrea Leadsom but having kids is the highlight of the lives of most people.
    That is more continuing the line and investing in their lives, rather than the main achievement in your own life.
    Perhaps parents can decide for themselves if their children are their main achievement.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,119
    kjh said:

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Most of the population have children at some point, family is important but having children is not really an achievement which marks you out from most other people
    Having kids is not an “achievement” or a “highlight”, but if it happens it is the most intense, profound, mysteriously moving human experience - for most people. You create and form another soul. It brings a lifetime of angst, guilt and worry, but, ultimately, for most, it also brings a sense of meaning and purpose and infrequent moments of incomparable happiness

It has rightly been compared to Brexiting

I so wanted to like that, but you had to add the last sentence. I know it's a joke and not a bad one at that, but you seriously need help. It is going to drive you crazy (if that is not too late).
    Good grief. It was a self deprecating joke!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sorry to get all meteorological on you, but in south Devon it is now Windy As All Fuck.....

Here along the coast there's been a noticeable step up the last ten minutes. The Newport weather station is reporting 30mph average with gusts higher
    We are still quite calm and the sea is smooth which seems to be the lull before the delayed storm

12 noon is critical as this is the high spring tide and is the threat to Llandudno Town Centre if the storm arrives at the same time
    North Wales is green on windy.com currently. The peak hits you around 1300-1400 by the look of it.
    Thanks - that may just help the flood warning areas which coincide with the spring tide
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A “highlight” is not necessarily the same as a “main achievement”
    Indeed. Outside of family one of the highlights of my life was having the lead role in a community musical production a few years ago. It was far from the West End and was only seen by about 1000 people max but the sense of personal achievement I got from it was huge.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,685
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

Inclined to agree so far. Not even any rain.
    The heavier garden furniture that couldn't be moved undercover or strapped down is bouncing here now. And it has just started to rain...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,242

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

The weather forecasters have definitely got the timing wrong, its supposed to be 85 mph winds in Southampton now and its only a bit blustery.

Storm is running late, it’s still in Cornwall, so an hour or two away.

Southampton airport 22 gusting 34 knots at the moment https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/sou
    The wind and rain is lashing in East Anglia. I'm not competent enough to judge whether it matches up to the storm predictions but it feels really bad.
    ?

I'm in Southwold. No wind and no rain yet.
    I'm in Southwold.

Have I ever said I hate you? ;_ ;)
    Nah - its not that good. For a start the sun sets in the wrong place. Best seaside resorts have the sun setting out to sea.
    You finally discovered a plus for Blackpool....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Unless Oxford is radically different to and better than Cambridge I find that hard to believe. I think the people who enjoyed undergraduate life the most were people whose parents could subsidise their lifestyle and who could effortlessly become a member of one of the cliques (journalism, drama, politics) where they could pretend they were already powerful and influential people. For the rest of us it was mostly just hard work, a rather inadequate social life and counting the pennies. I'm glad I went there and I met my wife and other good friends there but it really wasn't the highlight of my life.
    I had a blast at UCL. Wasn’t rich but coming to London after the tedium of small town England. Whoah. The drugs. The music. The girls (occasionally). Brilliant

It then got even better, apart from the odd blip
    (rape trial) but my 30s were shit (late stage heroin addiction), then I had another upturn, popped out some kids, I peaked in my 50s (lots of money sex luxury travel), then covid, divorce, suicide bids…. Feel quite chirpy now.
    You should write a memoir. Lots of good material in there. You've certainly had a life of ups and downs.
    My life has been remarkably fortunate, steady and pleasant, with few really dramatic peaks and troughs, and I give thanks for it every day. I keep expecting something awful to happen to balance it out.
    Just give it time ;) We've all got it coming.
    It's called death.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

The best thing in my life was the kids arriving.

The second best thing in my life was the kids leaving (home).

Our daughter's wedding day was very good. Seeing one's daughter married is somehow different from seeing one's sons.
    Although those (we've two sons) were special, too.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,777

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The highlights of my life are:

Getting married, which is surprising as I was given an ultimatum to do so by the time I was 40 which I made by 48 hours.

Birth of my children.

Winchester by election (it was a hell of a party).

Skiing the Tortin.

Pitchpoling a catamaran.

Various adventures with girlfriends not to be detailed here.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,752
    Foxy said:

I think the effect on armoured warfare of a spring thaw and mud isn't what it was in the 1940s.

I did think the same. In 1941, 42 and 43, nowt happened in March and April at all on the Eastern front.

But this fight will be drone warfare and electronic cyber attacks.
    Boots on the ground will be needed at some point, but maybe that is just the mopping up exercise.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,702

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

The weather forecasters have definitely got the timing wrong, its supposed to be 85 mph winds in Southampton now and its only a bit blustery.

Southampton airport 22 gusting 34 knots at the moment https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/sou
    The wind and rain is lashing in East Anglia. I'm not competent enough to judge whether it matches up to the storm predictions but it feels really bad.
    ?

I'm in Southwold.

Nah - its not that good. For a start the sun sets in the wrong place. Best seaside resorts have the sun setting out to sea.
    In winter, we get both sunrise and sunset out to sea from here :)

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Tories gain two seats in last night's council by-elections. Including this improbably emphatic gain from the LibDems:

OADBY AND WIGSTON Wigston Meadowcourt

Liz Darling (Conservative) 833
    Michael Phipps (Liberal Democrats) 377
    Joshua Pearman (Green) 133

No doubt, good local reasons for this result, but you do wonder if there could conceivably be an element of "shy-Boris" people out there, ie, folk who tell themselves, and pollsters, they disapprove of BJ but, secretly, can't help liking him. I wonder...

That's not to say he shouldn't go. He really should.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458

kle4 said:

I dont have kids or really desire to, but I have to admire the gumption of a political operator whose message is 'your kids dont make you special, mate'.

While simultaneously claiming the most important thing in life is an inheritance . . .
    Inheritance is important to set your children up in life, it is not the be all and end all of your own life.

Plenty of people also inherit property and do not then have children themselves, I still as a Tory of course support them having that inheritance
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Life is entirely about how you impact on others. Yes your work has impact, but your immortality is through the legacy you build through your children. And for so many of us building that legacy is what drives us to work doing we do.

So don't me having kids is ordinary. You post some of the most wrong-headed self-inflating guff and this is perhaps the pinnacle achievement of your career to date.

Plenty of people don't have children. The idea you are immortal because you have children is absurd, within a few generations all your family will have been born after you died and you will just be part of a family photo album at best.

If you leave a lasting legacy in your field however that can last. Family is important but human beings are more than just baby production factories and your children will ultimately want to lead their own lives too

Your views and comments on this would suggest you have not as yet enjoyed becoming a parent and I can tell you with certainty you will not be offering this nonsense when you do, which I genuinely hope you do

It will change your life

Out of order. Never comment on someone else’s childlessness (alleged in this case). You don’t know if it is a choice or, if so, why they chose it

And if they didn’t choose it then you are “criticising” them for something they cannot help which may be a source of intense grief. Tsk
    Wow, a post from Leon that actually deserves a 'like'.

About being unnecessarily offensive, to boot.
  • Options

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

?

I'm in Southwold.

You finally discovered a plus for Blackpool....
    My wife was born in Blackpool. Although she was only there a few weeks before going 'home' to Rochdale
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

Wanting to achieve immortality through your children is the route to tiger parenting. Making your children learn the piano/oboe/tap dancing or even go to Oxbridge because you never did.

People can be perfectly happy, satisfied, and live rich lives with or without children.
    Thats not what I meant. I will die, they will live on. Thats immortality. Then they die and their kids live on. Etc etc.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,851

IanB2 said:

That site forecasts 52 mph gusting to 76 mph for Freshwater mid morning, which is certainly more sensible than the BBC's current forecast of 115mph, which as an average appears absurd.
    I think the BBCs weather must be done by an algorithm with no human input as some of the wind speeds they have predicted for areas along the south coast are silly.
    All site-specific forecasts will be derived from model data. There are too many sites for it to be done otherwise.

There's still manual forecaster intervention in some of the aviation forecasts, and a few other places.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

BigG I was taught that there are several things you never ask/say to someone. One is when are they going to get married and another is when are you going to have a baby. There are many reasons why people can't or don't want to do either of these things and as one of the more polite PB posters I am disappointed that you should have made such a comment.
    I agree and I have apologised
  • Options

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

So far. Its not reached you yet. Only starting to ramp up for me in West Wilts now. Definite increase in wind speed in last 15 minutes.

I'd wait until the evening before calling it...
    Nah, I'm calling it now. Remain has got this.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,135
    edited February 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

The Archbishop of Canterbury should live a Saintly life

Runcie was once memorably described in Dear Bill as 'no mean slayer of the bosch' for his WW2 service.
    He won the MC if I remember correctly. Was a tankist. May be why he made some Tories nervous.

There was at least one Rev who won the VC - Rev. Theodore Bayley Hardy, who has a House named after him at Nottingham High School. DSO MC VC. When he was about 50 - there's hope yet for some younger PBers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Hardy

He might be in your party - teetotal vegetarian.

Suspect there are others.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

Out of order. Never comment on someone else’s childlessness (alleged in this case). You don’t know if it is a choice or, if so, why they chose it

And if they didn’t choose it then you are “criticising” them for something they cannot help which may be a source of intense grief. Tsk
    Wow, a post from Leon that actually deserves a 'like'.
    Compassionate and sensitive, classic Leon.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

That is one seriously beautiful car from Mercedes.

The iPhone of F1 cars.

Expensive, overrated, and no better than its main competitors?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,671

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

BigG I was taught that there are several things you never ask/say to someone. One is when are they going to get married and another is when are you going to have a baby. There are many reasons why people can't or don't want to do either of these things and as one of the more polite PB posters I am disappointed that you should have made such a comment.
    You are a good man BigG for sure.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

Indeed, some people are childless even if they wanted children eg Theresa and Philip May.

Hopefully my wife and I will be able to have children (at the moment our main focus is buying a property together as we are commuting between our properties) but not everyone can have children unfortunately. If people do not want to have children that is also their choice
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,651
    Eabhal said:
    Stayed very near there, a couple of years later. Everyone was still talking about it. Real shock as they knew what they were about, not clueless holidaymakers having a panic when they should have stayed put (that would have been bad enough, of course).

Interesting that the causeway is fingered in that report for exacerbating the flooding. I'd not heard that angle before.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

It is amazing how thoughtless people can be on this subject. I know couples who have been unable to conceive. It is genuinely heart breaking for them. There is another couple I know that chose not to, and they then get "sympathy" for the assumption it was not chosen. It is staggeringly thoughtless.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,605
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

I guess this is a priorities thing. A lasting legacy in your field lasts how long? There are absolutely a few scientists / engineers whose achievements last, but most get swept away by the ones coming after.

Your kids however can keep adding value to our society through the generations. Not just my achievements now. Theirs as well. And their kids. And so on. Even if their achievements are just being a good person, making people happy, being kind - we need that.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,225

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Definitely. I do remember having breakfast in the canteen of the hospital a few hours after my first daughter had been born. I was on my own, my wife and daughter were sleeping upstairs, it was a lovely summer day and the sun was streaming through the windows, and the feeling of elation that I had was like nothing I had ever known before.
    I remember feeling similarly joyful after the births of my other two children, but I think the first time is especially memorable.
    Way back in 1966 when our first born came along I was not allowed at the hospital and waited for a phone call at home, also with my daughter in 1971, but I was present at the birth of our second son in 1975 and it was amazing

Times do change and often for the better
    Our first born came at half time in the England-Brazil 1970 world cup when the score was 0-0.

• Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

Wanting to achieve immortality through your children is the route to tiger parenting. Making your children learn the piano/oboe/tap dancing or even go to Oxbridge because you never did.

People can be perfectly happy, satisfied, and live rich lives with or without children.
    Thats not what I meant. I will die, they will live on. Thats immortality. Then they die and their kids live on. Etc etc.
    Not to go all Sam Beckett an' all but on the other hand it is reasonable to ask who would choose to bring anyone into this world of pain, happiness, yet ultimate and inevitable death.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

Good man. PB is a self moderating forum. Which is one reason it is such a civilised place to chat. At least until the lagershed
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,363

Tories gain two seats in last night's council by-elections. Including this improbably emphatic gain from the LibDems:

No doubt, good local reasons for this result, but you do wonder if there could conceivably be an element of "shy-Boris" people out there, ie, folk who tell themselves, and pollsters, they disapprove of BJ but, secretly, can't help liking him. I wonder...

Its Friday and another very odd set of by-election results compared to current opinion polls and all that has happened over the past 3 months.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Having kids is not an “achievement” or a “highlight”, but if it happens it is the most intense, profound, mysteriously moving human experience - for most people. You create and form another soul. It brings a lifetime of angst, guilt and worry, but, ultimately, for most, it also brings a sense of meaning and purpose and infrequent moments of incomparable happiness

I so wanted to like that, but you had to add the last sentence. I know it's a joke and not a bad one at that, but you seriously need help. It is going to drive you crazy (if that is not too late).
    Eh? I acknowledged that, even complemented you on it (I know it is a joke and not a bad one at that) and your well written message.

Brexit is driving you mad though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I dont have kids or really desire to, but I have to admire the gumption of a political operator whose message is 'your kids dont make you special, mate'.

While simultaneously claiming the most important thing in life is an inheritance . . .
    Inheritance is important to set your children up in life, it is not the be all and end all of your own life.

Plenty of people also inherit property and do not then have children themselves, I still as a Tory of course support them having that inheritance
    Total unmitigated bollocks. Inheritance is not remotely important to set your children in life, especially since most people will be about 65+ before they lose both parents.

Good parenting is important to set your children up in life.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

The iPhone of F1 cars.

Expensive, overrated, and no better than its main competitors?
    That has "invented" stuff that was already in free circulation on competitor devices?
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

Good man. PB is a self moderating forum. Which is one reason it is such a civilised place to chat. At least until the lagershed
    Or imminent destruction of the planet. Via various means terrestrial and otherwise.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

It is amazing how thoughtless people can be on this subject. I know couples who have been unable to conceive. It is genuinely heart breaking for them. There is another couple I know that chose not to, and they then get "sympathy" for the assumption it was not chosen. It is staggeringly thoughtless.
    A friend of mine does plan to, but finds the parents and in laws insufferable in putting pressure on 'giving them' a grandchild on their schedule. I'm sure it would be a joy for them but it can be remarkably pushy.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,120

Foxy said:

I think the effect on armoured warfare of a spring thaw and mud isn't what it was in the 1940s.

I did think the same. In 1941, 42 and 43, nowt happened in March and April at all on the Eastern front.

But this fight will be drone warfare and electronic cyber attacks.
    Boots on the ground will be needed at some point, but maybe that is just the mopping up exercise.
    There are a lot more roads than back then.

Track design, power to weight etc has improved quite a bit. Also, the Russian army (and armies in general) have a lot more logistical vehicles that can handle the mud (to a certain extent)
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Total unmitigated bollocks. Inheritance is not remotely important to set your children in life, especially since most people will be about 65+ before they lose both parents.

Actually it is, especially if you live south of Watford and in the London commuter belt which you don't and you want to help them on the property ladder as property is so much more expensive than in the North where you live.

You can be as good a parent as you can to set your children up in life but while an average salary will enable first time buyers to buy in the North even if your children get an above average salary job in London and the Home Counties that does not mean they will necessarily be able to buy a property without assistance for a deposit
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

There is a difference between hectoring parents / non-parents on their choices ("you MUST have kids what is wrong with you?" / "why would you want kids in this evil world?") and being someone with no kids telling others with kids that their offspring are nothing special. Then going back to the Importance of being able to pass on as large an inheritance tax-free as possible.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It will change your life

Indeed, some people are childless even if they wanted children eg Theresa and Philip May.

Hopefully my wife and I will be able to have children (at the moment our main focus is buying a property together) but not everyone can have children unfortunately. If people do not want to have children that is also their choice
    Can I directly apologise to you for my insensitive remarks @HYUFD

I am genuinely sorry
    No worries BigG
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,230

Sandpit said:

One 737 and one A319 already having a second attempt to land at Heathrow. The chaos might be about to start.

We were in an aborted landing at Heathrow due to wind and it was really scary but when the pilot was about to touch down and he powered away upwards we were very relieved, though as most of Europe was having the same problems he came in the second time and slapped the wheels onto the runway very hard, and as we taxied we were buffeted quite considerably

Great admiration for the pilots was expressed directly to them by us all as got off the aircraft
    It’s on days like this, that the pilots earn their money.

This amateur pilot would be quite happy sitting on the ground if he was in the UK today - the professionals, well they are professionals.
  • Options

Its Friday and another very odd set of by-election results compared to current opinion polls and all that has happened over the past 3 months.
    I don't think local by elections tell us too much.

But there could be something in the notion of the "shy Johnsonian". If a pollster asked me my opinion of Johnson I would be nervous to confirm I liked him and I would vote for him. But then I don't and I wouldn't.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,930
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Actually it is, especially if you live south of Watford and in the London commuter belt which you don't and you want to help them on the property ladder as property is so much more expensive than in the North where you live.

You can be as good a parent as you can to set your children up in life but while an average salary will enable first time buyers to buy in the North even if your children get an above average salary job in London and the Home Counties that does not mean they will necessarily be able to buy a property without assistance for a deposit
    Help from your parents is not the same thing as an inheritance and you know it.

I'm 39 and I've never received, wanted or asked for a single penny of inheritance. I'm fortunate that all my grandparents are alive (my wife has lost all of hers, so I know how fortunate I am) and my parents are healthy too.

The way you speak about inheritances is like I should consider myself unfortunate that none of my relatives have died sooner. Its disgusting quite frankly.

If you want to help your family, do so while you're alive, don't wait until you're dead. The obsession over inheritances you have is deeply weird and concerning, people should be able to work for a living (both the young and their family) while they're alive not post-mortem.

PS if the housing market is buggered in the South, then the solution is to fix the housing market. Not pray your parents die a premature death so you can get your hands on their money.
  • Options

The iPhone of F1 cars.

That does look good. More detail than most of the other car launches.

But it’s not just the cars that look completely different this year, what the hell was that in the pink suit?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

Not to go all Sam Beckett an' all but on the other hand it is reasonable to ask who would choose to bring anyone into this world of pain, happiness, yet ultimate and inevitable death.
    Of course its reasonable and I've just defended the people who choose not to have kids. My Aunt and Uncle as one example.

My point was that life is short and civilisation fast-moving. I can "achieve" things through work (which was my inference from what HY was saying) which barely last 5 minutes. He's a politics obsessive and how many politicians really make a long-lasting impact? How many cabinet ministers of even a few years ago matter at all now?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well said. I haven't received a penny of inheritance. That said, I fully intend to leave my kids a shedload, but hoping they might be 65+ by the time it happens, cos that will make me roughly 100 lol!
  • Options
    Oundle has started counting. Looking good for the LDs apparently.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I'm 39 and I've never received, wanted or asked for a single penny of inheritance. I'm fortunate that all my grandparents are alive (my wife has lost all of hers, so I know how fortunate I am) and my parents are healthy too.

The way you speak about inheritances is like I should consider myself unfortunate that none of my relatives have died sooner. Its disgusting quite frankly.

If you want to help your family, do so while you're alive, don't wait until you're dead. The obsession over inheritances you have is deeply weird and concerning, people should be able to work for a living (both the young and their family) while they're alive not post-mortem.
    Fine but you live in the Northwest where property prices on average are half those of the Southeast and a third the price of those in London.

Plenty of parents in the Home Counties effectively give their children much of their inheritance early with help with deposits for their first property. Inheritance does not have to wait until death
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,851

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

One of my proudest parenting moments was eating the pizza cooked by my then ten year old daughter. I also made sure to teach her to whistle. Skills that set her up for life.

She taught me how to do the owl call.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

Eh? I acknowledged that, even complemented you on it (I know it is a joke and not a bad one at that) and your well written message.

It’s kind of you to care but it is misplaced. This is (er, largely) a politics forum. Brexit is still a huge presence in our political lives and still impacts actual UK, EU even global politics in multiple ways. Thus it will be referenced on here endlessly, by me and others

One example: the choice of the next Tory leader (should Boris the Brexiteer depart). Has to be a Leaver. Meanwhile at least 5% of the country - a vocal 5% - would reverse Brexit tomorrow, and fuck democracy

Outside of this forum I barely think about Brexit at all. It doesn’t affect my daily life. I’m glad it happened for all its griefs. I only think about it at the moment (beyond PB) when I’m in passport queues. Seriously

• Options
    The maddest part of @Ross_Greer’s pensions remarks is his analogy with the American Civil War. He doesn’t seem to know that the war ended with seceding states being reabsorbed into the Union - the exact opposite of what Scottish independence would be.

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1494597383405068288
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Getting married, which is surprising as I was given an ultimatum to do so by the time I was 40 which I made by 48 hours.

Birth of my children.

Skiing the Tortin.

Pitchpoling a catamaran.

Didn't think of this when posting that but it does demonstrate the difference between highlights and achievements as several required no skills on my part and at least one demonstrated incompetence.
  • Options

I don't think local by elections tell us too much.

But there could be something in the notion of the "shy Johnsonian". If a pollster asked me my opinion of Johnson I would be nervous to confirm I liked him and I would vote for him. But then I don't and I wouldn't.
    Individual by-elections don't, but taken as a whole, over time, they can provide pointers. If they get their act together the Tories still seem capable of getting some pretty respectable results which they really couldn't in the dying days of John Major. Note the resilience of the Scots Tories who have consistently increased their vote-share in council by-elections over the last year or two. It's why I think they may surprise in May.
  • Options
    Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 39% (-2)
    CON: 34% (+1)
    LDM: 10% (+1)
    GRN: 6% (=)
    SNP: 4% (=)

Via
    @techneUK
    , 16-17 Feb.
    Changes w/ 9-10 Feb.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,935

An alternative explanation might be that there are people who are prepared to vote for good Conservative candidates in a local election who are not prepared to vote for Johnson as PM.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,472
    On children:

Mrs J never wanted children, but after we got married and her biological clock ticked on, she changed her mind. If she had not, we would now have two large disposable incomes with masses of free time. I would probably be out walking as much as possible, and she would be doing her hobbies.

Having a little 'un has utterly changed that. We have one income (by choice), and whilst that income is reasonable , we do not have that much free time in which to spend it.

But his presence in our lives has been so unutterably great. Every day he amuses us, annoys us, entertains us, and staggers us as we see him growing from a baby into a toddler, then a boy, and soon into a young man. He has interests that have caused us to explore new places and discover new facts.

If we had not had him, we would be happy. But we would also be stuck in a rut. He has taken us out of that. But it is hard work - and that's just with one...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

PS if the housing market is buggered in the South, then the solution is to fix the housing market. Not pray your parents die a premature death so you can get your hands on their money.
    We've helped our children and grandchildren in various ways at various times and have been happy to do so, although we've also wondered (sometimes to them) why they needed the help in the first place!
    Conversely they've all been willing to talk about their problems to us.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Fine but you live in the Northwest where property prices on average are half those of the Southeast and a third the price of those in London.

Plenty of parents in the Home Counties effectively give their children much of their inheritance early with help with deposits for their first property. Inheritance does not have to wait until death
    What are you on about? I am currently paying my eldest's housing costs at uni. Is that me giving him "inheritance"?

You pay out £dollah for your kids because thats what being a parent is. Its another HY journey way beyond understanding and comprehension that as usual doesn't stop ypu from speaking in Absolute Certainties from a position of cluelessness.

You really really need to become a Tory MP. You'd be a great fit.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, is Mr. Blobby back?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well said. I haven't received a penny of inheritance. That said, I fully intend to leave my kids a shedload, but hoping they might be 65+ by the time it happens, cos that will make me roughly 100 lol!
    Leave it to your grandkids.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

An alternative explanation might be that there are people who are prepared to vote for good Conservative candidates in a local election who are not prepared to vote for Johnson as PM.
    Yes I agree. Bit questionable to draw conclusions from a local by election especially a council in a safe Tory seat which has been controlled by the LDs for a while and draw wider conclusions about Johnson's popularity in the East Midlands.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,242
    OllyT said:

Spot on. Boris is now a drag on Conservative polling - local versus national shows the extent. Which is why he won't lead the Party into the next election. Not unless he can reinvent himself from debauched Prince Hal to huzzah! King Henry V in well under 2 years. Not seeing it.
  • Options

On children:

Mrs J never wanted children, but after we got married and her biological clock ticked on, she changed her mind. If she had not, we would now have two large disposable incomes with masses of free time. I would probably be out walking as much as possible, and she would be doing her hobbies.

Having a little 'un has utterly changed that. We have one income (by choice), and whilst that income is reasonable , we do not have that much free time in which to spend it.

But his presence in our lives has been so unutterably great. Every day he amuses us, annoys us, entertains us, and staggers us as we see him growing from a baby into a toddler, then a boy, and soon into a young man. He has interests that have caused us to explore new places and discover new facts.

If we had not had him, we would be happy. But we would also be stuck in a rut. He has taken us out of that. But it is hard work - and that's just with one...

Having kids (in my experience) makes life very much worse but vastly more meaningful, and therefore hopefully “better”, at the same time

But it’s certainly not the same as a lifestyle choice. It’s not “taking up golf“ or “moving to the coast” or “going vegan”

It is probably the most important thing you can do as an average human
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,186
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Birth of my children.

Skiing the Tortin.

Pitchpoling a catamaran.

With Mark Oaten involved I can quite believe it was “a hell of a party”!
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,258

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A wise man (might have been Warren Buffet) said:

“Leave your children enough to do something but not enough to do nothing”.

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,822
    I don't want to speak to soon, but so far here in the south east this 'red' storm is a disappointment. Few gusts of wind, trees blowing around, etc, but nothing visibly unusual; just a windy day so far.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It would be a better world if inheritance weren't necessary to achieve a decent standard of living, as was the case, fortunately for me, when I was young. In the bigger scheme of things, inheritance tax is actually a pretty sensible way of raising money, given the alternatives.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,273
    darkage said:

I don't want to speak to soon, but so far here in the south east this 'red' storm is a disappointment. Few gusts of wind, trees blowing around, etc, but nothing visibly unusual; just a windy day so far.

It's not reached us, yet.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Not even that windy here in Camden. Sunny and breezy. There are meant to be corpses in the street

Rubbishest storm in history
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

It’s kind of you to care but it is misplaced. This is (er, largely) a politics forum. Brexit is still a huge presence in our political lives and still impacts actual UK, EU even global politics in multiple ways. Thus it will be referenced on here endlessly, by me and others

One example: the choice of the next Tory leader (should Boris the Brexiteer depart). Has to be a Leaver. Meanwhile at least 5% of the country - a vocal 5% - would reverse Brexit tomorrow, and fuck democracy

Outside of this forum I barely think about Brexit at all. It doesn’t affect my daily life. I’m glad it happened for all its griefs. I only think about it at the moment (beyond PB) when I’m in passport queues. Seriously

Discussing the current progress of Brexit, and its implications, is entirely sensible. We aren't doing it enough.

Jenkins is on the money, here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/17/brexit-life-outside-single-market-utter-disaster

Obsessing about the events of six years ago is, however, a tad less sensible.
  • Options
    Mr. Boulay, not inheritance but I always liked Alexander the Great's take on gift-giving:

It's not what Parmenio should receive, but what Alexander should give.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Not even that windy here in Camden. Sunny and breezy. There are meant to be corpses in the street

Rubbishest storm in history
    Just another of those days when Camden isn't going to be at the centre of things, I guess?

A shame, since it's a rare example where a bit of wind damage might actually improve the place.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Up here in Buchan we weren't going to get windy woo as once again the Cairgorms are sheltering us. But the forecasted snow has settled in for the day and is coming thick and fast.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,822
    On Ukraine, it does seem like the US/UK have played a blinder on the information war. Putin is damned if he does invade and damned if he doesn't invade. Finally, after a decade or so, the west have started to wise up to how to deal with his regime. What would be nice to see is a bit more hard power on the eastern border, rather than the endless pathetic attempts at 'dialogue'. None of this will stop military conflict, but the reality is that the area has been in conflict since 2014, and the west in 'retreat'. Like dealing with any bully, it will only be bought to an end by confrontation, running away or pacification is not an option.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

Discussing the current progress of Brexit, and its implications, is entirely sensible. We aren't doing it enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/17/brexit-life-outside-single-market-utter-disaster

But the reasons Brexit is the Brexit we have, now, is all entangled with the way Brexit was parented, conceived, gestated, delivered (and almost strangled in the crib by Remoaners). You can’t disentangle these things
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    darkage said:

https://www.windy.com/?50.671,-1.189,5

We're still an hour off the peak even here in the mid south. I am going to risk taking the dog around the block while it's not completely dumb to be outside.

The daily Caen ferry's already off into the Channel, and the island ferries are still running, but the daily run to the Channel Islands looks like it's not happening today.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

No, he really isn't. He claims that it was Boris who insisted on leaving the single market, whereas it was actually May. "Brexit Means Brexit".
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Yep. That sounds plausible. Will be interesting to see if the Boris-distancing approach by Scots Tories works out.

Of course, there may be a bit of both explanations going on at the same time. Picture is muddy, but this does not feel like the post Black Wednesday run-up to '97 tho.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

darkage said:

Wind sounds to be picking up steadily here; not far from Colchester.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Ooh, Dreamliners missing Heathrow now. Next three on approach are all second attempts.

Edit: BA Dreamliner from Chicago gone around twice…
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Life expectancy's lower in the North West, too.
  • Options

Via
    @techneUK
    , 16-17 Feb.
    Changes w/ 9-10 Feb.

Electoral Calculus gives Labour 289 seats and Conservatives 270 and a hung parliament on those numbers on the new boundaries.

If Boris continues to get poll numbers like that he will be safe
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&amp;CON=34&amp;LAB=39&amp;LIB=10&amp;Reform=2&amp;Green=6&amp;UKIP=&amp;TVCON=&amp;TVLAB=&amp;TVLIB=&amp;TVReform=&amp;TVGreen=&amp;TVUKIP=&amp;SCOTCON=18.3&amp;SCOTLAB=20.2&amp;SCOTLIB=6.6&amp;SCOTReform=0.9&amp;SCOTGreen=3&amp;SCOTUKIP=&amp;SCOTNAT=48&amp;display=AllChanged&amp;regorseat=(none)&amp;boundary=2019nbbase
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,930
    edited February 2022
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It would be a better world if inheritance weren't necessary to achieve a decent standard of living, as was the case, fortunately for me, when I was young. In the bigger scheme of things, inheritance tax is actually a pretty sensible way of raising money, given the alternatives.
    If it were up to me there would be no inheritance tax, instead any inheritance would be simply treated as income with the same rate of tax (including both forms of national insurance) as any other income applied to the entire thing.

Unearned income should not be less taxed than earned income.

Ideally then the tax rate on earned income would come down commensurate with the increase in taxes on unearned incomes.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Spot on. Boris is now a drag on Conservative polling - local versus national shows the extent. Which is why he won't lead the Party into the next election. Not unless he can reinvent himself from debauched Prince Hal to huzzah! King Henry V in well under 2 years. Not seeing it.
    What about pretending to pilot fighter jets and drive tanks? Lots of top drawer photo opportunities beckon for a Churchillian Statesman.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,138
    darkage said:

On Ukraine, it does seem like the US/UK have played a blinder on the information war. Putin is damned if he does invade and damned if he doesn't invade. Finally, after a decade or so, the west have started to wise up to how to deal with his regime. What would be nice to see is a bit more hard power on the eastern border, rather than the endless pathetic attempts at 'dialogue'. None of this will stop military conflict, but the reality is that the area has been in conflict since 2014, and the west in 'retreat'. Like dealing with any bully, it will only be bought to an end by confrontation, running away or pacification is not an option.

I agree with most of this, apart from the "rather than". Speak softly / big stick.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

darkage said:

Getting breezy in Brighton:

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/brighton/brighton-pier.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Via
    @techneUK
    , 16-17 Feb.
    Changes w/ 9-10 Feb.

Electoral Calculus gives Labour 289 seats and Conservatives 270 and a hung parliament on those numbers on the new boundaries.

If Boris continues to get poll numbers like that he will be safe
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&amp;CON=34&amp;LAB=39&amp;LIB=10&amp;Reform=2&amp;Green=6&amp;UKIP=&amp;TVCON=&amp;TVLAB=&amp;TVLIB=&amp;TVReform=&amp;TVGreen=&amp;TVUKIP=&amp;SCOTCON=18.3&amp;SCOTLAB=20.2&amp;SCOTLIB=6.6&amp;SCOTReform=0.9&amp;SCOTGreen=3&amp;SCOTUKIP=&amp;SCOTNAT=48&amp;display=AllChanged&amp;regorseat=(none)&amp;boundary=2019nbbase
    Surely a hung Parliament means a non-Tory government? Anyway, on these figures does he hold his own seat?
This discussion has been closed.