Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sunak slipping down in the “Next PM” betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Given that this tweet covers American Politics, Crypto (which @TSE loves) and something that screams outright fraud I give you this about Melania Trump's first NFT auction

Bloomberg Crypto
    @crypto
    The source of funds for the winning bid in Melania Trump’s first NFT auction appears to be the creators of the project themselves

https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1494032040316088326

Now if you are going to perform a trick like purchasing the thing you are selling to set a base price - you may wish to use more than 2 steps to transfer the money from your account to the secondary account you use to purchase the NFT. 2 steps is rather easy to identify...

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Very still here on Tyneside

No wind on the Tyne
    It's all fine, all fine
    No wind on the Tyne
    It's all fine

Alltogether now...
    If there’s no wind, is it foggy?
    Probably time to share this for the unitiated/youngsters?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1urq4Vb0XM
    Warning, one seen/heard, it cannot be unseen/unheard (SFW though)
    (It was the Gazza version I had in my head)
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

The weather forecasters have definitely got the timing wrong, its supposed to be 85 mph winds in Southampton now and its only a bit blustery.

Storm is running late, it’s still in Cornwall, so an hour or two away.

Southampton airport 22 gusting 34 knots at the moment https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/sou
    The wind and rain is lashing in East Anglia. I'm not competent enough to judge whether it matches up to the storm predictions but it feels really bad.
    ?

I'm in Southwold. No wind and no rain yet.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478

Morning all! Still waiting for the big dump of snow - appears to have fizzled to the south of us. The boy's school is shut today due to the snow warning (primarily because getting transport for the 70% who travel by bus this afternoon could be *fun*). A bit of moaning on Facebook, but they'd have been moaning more had the school been trying to summon them to collect sprog this afternoon.

Went out for a blow yesterday in the calm between the two storms. Blustery here inland, but walked around Kinnaird Head at lunchtime and needed to hold onto my woolly hat as the wind was trying to remove it from my head (and my feet from the path). And that is calm compared to what the Severn Estuary is getting. Stay safe everyone.

My school was on the to of a sometimes-bleak Staffordhsire hillside, above the JCB factory. One snowy day my dad picked me up in a JCB, having cleared the road up the hill on the way. He was followed by a procession of struggling cars.

We had kids picked up n Rollers, BMWs, Mercs and some rather posh cars. My dad sometimes picked me up in JCBs and lorries...

(AFAIK it is now illegal to take passengers in a JCB.)
    Kids! Would you prefer to arrive at school in a Roller or a JCB?

Deffo the JCB...
    I'd sit there in my tweed jacket as the machine bounced over the speed bumps. The sort of childhood I'll never be able to give the little 'un. ;)

Talking of the rollers, one of the kids from Hong Kong was picked up once by a Roller with diplomatic plates. Complete with Garfield in the back window and fluffy dice hanging from the mirror. Stylish...

(Another once got dented by a ball from the cricket nets. It wasn't a good idea to have the nets right by the parking in the quadrangle ...
  • kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

The weather forecasters have definitely got the timing wrong, its supposed to be 85 mph winds in Southampton now and its only a bit blustery.

Southampton airport 22 gusting 34 knots at the moment https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/sou
    The wind and rain is lashing in East Anglia. I'm not competent enough to judge whether it matches up to the storm predictions but it feels really bad.
    ?

I'm in St Neots Cambridgeshire. In fairness I live in a top floor flat so any wind and rain feels like the apocalypse.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

?

I'm in Southwold.

Have I ever said I hate you? ;_ ;)
  • DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Note too we had a non Oxford graduate as PM just 12 years ago, Gordon Brown and just 13 years before that too, John Major.

Starmer might have an Oxford postgraduate degree but he did his undergraduate degree at Leeds

Brown never won an election and Major did not go to university
    So what, they were still both PMs who did not go to Oxford University
    No grauduate if a University other than Oxfords has led his party to a General Election victory since 1935
    Though Brown, a graduate of Edinburgh, was not outright defeated by Oxford educated Cameron in 2010 and Oxford educated May failed to outright defeat non Oxford educated Corbyn in 2017. Note too non Oxford educated Churchill beat Oxford graduate Attlee in 1951.

However a lot of general elections have been Oxford graduate v Oxford graduate eg 1955, 1959, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1974, 1983, 2001 and 2015 or Oxford v Cambridge ie 2005, so Oxford or at least Oxbridge, could not lose those general elections anyway.
    Oxford does seem to let people down. It’s graduates to tend to go on about it a tad. Life somehow seems to stop there.
    Unless you also become a self made multi-millionaire or a billionaire (or indeed PM) going to Oxford is probably the highlight of your life if you get in
    Unless Oxford is radically different to and better than Cambridge I find that hard to believe. I think the people who enjoyed undergraduate life the most were people whose parents could subsidise their lifestyle and who could effortlessly become a member of one of the cliques (journalism, drama, politics) where they could pretend they were already powerful and influential people. For the rest of us it was mostly just hard work, a rather inadequate social life and counting the pennies. I'm glad I went there and I met my wife and other good friends there but it really wasn't the highlight of my life.
    I think that our friend believes, possibly rightly, that getting accepted at Oxford, or indeed, Oxbridge, is the highlight of your life, at least to date.
    Whether the reality lives up to expectations is another matter.
    My son is in first year but he’s absolutely loving it. I am not sure he’s ever going to want to leave academia after this. He’s working very hard but being rigorously challenged every day. For people like him I am not sure it gets better than that.
    My lad's had an offer from Oxford to study Economics and Management. He is now highly incentivised to make sure he gets his A*AA and is working harder at his schoolwork than I've ever seen. He can't wait to go - I hope it lives up to his expectations!
    Order a couple of pizzas and settle down to watch When Boris Met Dave, about their time at Oxford. That should reset his expectations nicely.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

HYUFD said:

Red warning for London and the South East from 10am as Storm Eunice forecast to be one of the worst storms in the UK for decades

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-60421388

I remember waking up on the morning of the Great Storm in 1987 and seeing what appeared to be low-level lightening flashes. The overhead cables on the railway a couple of miles away were swinging so much they were clashing and sparking.
    Later on I walked to work along the A13, where had been a row of poplar trees. Nearly all of them were down, and across the road.
    My memory is having to go out and catch my daughter's horse as it had bolted and got out of the paddock, was scary stuff. I was living in Little Gaddesden at the time.

'Is it ok to touch the joystick?'

Kindergarten. What kindergarten?
    You are a bad person. And you made me laugh, so you made me a bad person, too.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455

The Met Office have peak gusts of 61 mph at 11:00 for Southampton.

What forecast were you looking at?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,350
    Stereodog said:

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

?

I'm in St Neots Cambridgeshire. In fairness I live in a top floor flat so any wind and rain feels like the apocalypse.
    Cambridge airport has 12kt wind at the moment, it’s about the least windy place in the country. Luton and Stanstead are up to 23kt though.

Sorry to say, but your storm hasn’t even started yet.
  • Morning all! Still waiting for the big dump of snow - appears to have fizzled to the south of us. The boy's school is shut today due to the snow warning (primarily because getting transport for the 70% who travel by bus this afternoon could be *fun*). A bit of moaning on Facebook, but they'd have been moaning more had the school been trying to summon them to collect sprog this afternoon.

Went out for a blow yesterday in the calm between the two storms. Blustery here inland, but walked around Kinnaird Head at lunchtime and needed to hold onto my woolly hat as the wind was trying to remove it from my head (and my feet from the path). And that is calm compared to what the Severn Estuary is getting. Stay safe everyone.

My school was on the to of a sometimes-bleak Staffordhsire hillside, above the JCB factory. One snowy day my dad picked me up in a JCB, having cleared the road up the hill on the way. He was followed by a procession of struggling cars.

We had kids picked up n Rollers, BMWs, Mercs and some rather posh cars. My dad sometimes picked me up in JCBs and lorries...

Deffo the JCB...
    I'd sit there in my tweed jacket as the machine bounced over the speed bumps. The sort of childhood I'll never be able to give the little 'un. ;)

Talking of the rollers, one of the kids from Hong Kong was picked up once by a Roller with diplomatic plates. Complete with Garfield in the back window and fluffy dice hanging from the mirror. Stylish...

(Another once got dented by a ball from the cricket nets. It wasn't a good idea to have the nets right by the parking in the quadrangle ...
    I remember a kid at my school arriving in a limo that promptly got beached on the slope up to the main entrance. I'd never heard such cheering from everyone else.
  • Mr. Sandpit, did the restart, running smoother now. Cheers.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375

This one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637487

Its supposed to be 92 mph now, its not even 30mph
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Would anyone like to defend the New York Times' banning of the word "slave" from Wordle?

They've bought a word game which they now intend to destroy because of their Wokeness. It is sublime
    The article says they've removed a perfectly good word like agora too. Obscure words were part of the fun. If the words in the dictionary it should be in the game.
    They must be agora-phobic....

Morning all! Still waiting for the big dump of snow - appears to have fizzled to the south of us. The boy's school is shut today due to the snow warning (primarily because getting transport for the 70% who travel by bus this afternoon could be *fun*). A bit of moaning on Facebook, but they'd have been moaning more had the school been trying to summon them to collect sprog this afternoon.

Deffo the JCB...

I remember haymaking as a kid, several of us coming back home on the main road, sat atop a wobbly mountain of bales, arms scratched to bits, bottle of pop. We were gods....
  • GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    This site doesn't update too often (every 3 hours from memory) but it's rather pretty and you can click on it to see the wind speed...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-7.09,53.45,1767
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Note too we had a non Oxford graduate as PM just 12 years ago, Gordon Brown and just 13 years before that too, John Major.

Starmer might have an Oxford postgraduate degree but he did his undergraduate degree at Leeds

No grauduate if a University other than Oxfords has led his party to a General Election victory since 1935
    Though Brown, a graduate of Edinburgh, was not outright defeated by Oxford educated Cameron in 2010 and Oxford educated May failed to outright defeat non Oxford educated Corbyn in 2017. Note too non Oxford educated Churchill beat Oxford graduate Attlee in 1951.

However a lot of general elections have been Oxford graduate v Oxford graduate eg 1955, 1959, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1974, 1983, 2001 and 2015 or Oxford v Cambridge ie 2005, so Oxford or at least Oxbridge, could not lose those general elections anyway.
    Oxford does seem to let people down. It’s graduates to tend to go on about it a tad. Life somehow seems to stop there.
    Unless you also become a self made multi-millionaire or a billionaire (or indeed PM) going to Oxford is probably the highlight of your life if you get in
    Unless Oxford is radically different to and better than Cambridge I find that hard to believe. I think the people who enjoyed undergraduate life the most were people whose parents could subsidise their lifestyle and who could effortlessly become a member of one of the cliques (journalism, drama, politics) where they could pretend they were already powerful and influential people. For the rest of us it was mostly just hard work, a rather inadequate social life and counting the pennies. I'm glad I went there and I met my wife and other good friends there but it really wasn't the highlight of my life.
    I think that our friend believes, possibly rightly, that getting accepted at Oxford, or indeed, Oxbridge, is the highlight of your life, at least to date.
    My son is in first year but he’s absolutely loving it. I am not sure he’s ever going to want to leave academia after this. He’s working very hard but being rigorously challenged every day. For people like him I am not sure it gets better than that.
    My lad's had an offer from Oxford to study Economics and Management. He is now highly incentivised to make sure he gets his A*AA and is working harder at his schoolwork than I've ever seen. He can't wait to go - I hope it lives up to his expectations!
    I'm sure it will. I'm one of those who would consider university days as some of the happiest.
    Gadfly said:

This site doesn't update too often (every 3 hours from memory) but it's rather pretty and you can click on it to see the wind speed...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-7.09,53.45,1767

that's a good example of a graphic that destroys the message. All those lines everywhere tell you little apart from that it's generally windy
  • Eerily quiet so far in the Midlands.

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure it will. I'm one of those who would consider university days as some of the happiest.
    Me too. Which is why I am dubious about the calls on here to make University more exclusive and hence more elitist.

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

?

I'm in Southwold.

It's my wife's bolt hole to get away from me, sadly for her I sometimes join her so her plan was flawed.
    One 737 and one A319 already having a second attempt to land at Heathrow. The chaos might be about to start.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455

This one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637487

Its supposed to be 92 mph now, its not even 30mph
    Yes, well, the BBC decided to save some money by paying for weather forecasts from an outfit who use statistical downscaling on the US global model output. The Met Office run a high-resolution local model forced by boundary conditions from their global model, and the Met Office global model rates better than the US one.

My advice is to go to the Met Office direct for your weather forecast.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

'Is it ok to touch the joystick?'

More “Top gurn” than “Top Gun”.

But definitely a Maverick.
  • windy.com is the only live weather site you need
  • Sandpit said:

Stereodog said:

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

?

Cambridge airport has 12kt wind at the moment, it’s about the least windy place in the country. Luton and Stanstead are up to 23kt though.

Sorry to say, but your storm hasn’t even started yet.
    I was afraid of that. I'm terrified of storms so this is not going to be a good period for me. I haven't slept much for two days already.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161
    Sandpit said:

One 737 and one A319 already having a second attempt to land at Heathrow. The chaos might be about to start.

Flying on Monday, hope this is all over by then. It seems very windy but not any worse than I've seen in my lifetime.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Very glad to read that, Mr L. And I agree about academic challenge being stimulating.
    i've said in the past that I am very sceptical about university, and that it has become a factory of manufactured progressive self confidence. However, looking back on it, as someone who was curious and thoughtful about the world, the intellectual challenge was definetely a positive thing. Being around similarly minded people was a great thing for me. It is just not something that you get in everyday life as a 17/18 year old in the provinces.

The smaller planes are all ‘on the go’ at Heathrow now, official wind is only 21kt but it’s obviously worse than that on the ground. Shame we don’t get live ATC online, as they do in the US.
  • MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Flying on Monday, hope this is all over by then. It seems very windy but not any worse than I've seen in my lifetime.
    It's typical Southerners overreacting.

Northerners call this big coat weather.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    Heathener said:

Angela Rayner says police should shoot terrorists first and ask questions second. Wtf?

I've woken up in an alternate universe

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/17/angela-rayner-police-should-shoot-terrorists-and-ask-questions-second

Brilliant piece of positioning. Makes me want to vote for her. And I already admire her thighs

Go, Angela “Reagan” Rayner
  • Another good weather site:

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/here
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Scooplet: Boris Johnson's shadow whipping operation's work is not done — despite two of its enforcers now being the deputy and chief whip.

In today's Playbook: https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/ukraine-on-the-brink-storm-eunice-recess-round-up/ https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1494598934366408706/photo/1
  • Rishi Sunak the Indian heritage David Miliband.

Lest we forget he is a coward who is only Chancellor because he was prepared to wear the political gimp mask handed to him by Dom Cummings.

He will not feature in any profiles in courage.
  • Mr. Password, BBC weather forecasts can change drastically even in the same day. It's not very impressive.
  • From “it’s called a motor race” to “it’s called unemployment” real quick

https://twitter.com/stopbeingthem/status/1494303081537802248
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052

Rishi Sunak the Indian heritage David Miliband.

Lest we forget he is a coward who is only Chancellor because he was prepared to wear the political gimp mask handed to him by Dom Cummings.

He will not feature in any profiles in courage.

Is Priti Patel the Indian heritage Ed Miliband then? Could be Leader of the Opposition if the Tories lose the next general election
    edited February 2022
    https://www.metcheck.com/ is another good one.

It does look at this point, that the forecasts were a little pessimistic, thankfully.

Heathrow has calmed down a little, after half a dozen planes missed the approach, they all got in second time of asking.
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Angela Rayner says police should shoot terrorists first and ask questions second. Wtf?

I've woken up in an alternate universe

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/17/angela-rayner-police-should-shoot-terrorists-and-ask-questions-second

Brilliant piece of positioning. Makes me want to vote for her. And I already admire her thighs

Go, Angela “Reagan” Rayner
    One man's terrorist is another man's Brazilian electrician. Still, Blair got away with it....
    Sorry to get all meteorological on you, but in south Devon it is now Windy As All Fuck.....

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Without wanting to come across like Andrea Leadsom but having kids is the highlight of the lives of most people.
    That is more continuing the line and investing in their lives, rather than the main achievement in your own life.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Without wanting to come across like Andrea Leadsom but having kids is the highlight of the lives of most people.
    That is more continuing the line and investing in their lives, rather than the main achievement in your own life.
    Nope.

From “it’s called a motor race” to “it’s called unemployment” real quick

https://twitter.com/stopbeingthem/status/1494303081537802248

It’s called a P45, Toto.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051

Deffo the JCB...

Our Thai granddaughters go to a rather upmarket international school, and, at one tine anyway, there was a Thai royal there, I think in the same year as one of my granddaughters, although in a different class. Once when the girls were taken on a trip they were running late, so the police were called in and the traffic stopped so the princess and her classmates could get to where they wanted to be.
    Shame about the different class of course; could have made for some 'interesting' parents get-togethers.
  • Sky F1 are showing the Mercedes launch.

Lewis Hamilton being honest.

windy.com is the only live weather site you need

Looking at it I don't think it's live - but a forecast depending on which model you choose bottom right. It'll have current data input to it periodically, but I don't know how often?
    edited February 2022

If the gusting wind is not fast enough for you yet, I'll send some of mine to you. Gusts of around 60mph rising to 75 between ten and eleven
    A"good weather site". Does this mean the gusting factor and rainfall rate is reduced by 50%? I'll have some of that right now.

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I had a blast at UCL. Wasn’t rich but coming to London after the tedium of small town England. Whoah. The drugs. The music. The girls (occasionally). Brilliant

It then got even better, apart from the odd blip
    (rape trial) but my 30s were shit (late stage heroin addiction), then I had another upturn, popped out some kids, I peaked in my 50s (lots of money sex luxury travel), then covid, divorce, suicide bids…. Feel quite chirpy now.

Sorry to get all meteorological on you, but in south Devon it is now Windy As All Fuck.....

Here along the coast there's been a noticeable step up the last ten minutes. The Newport weather station is reporting 30mph average with gusts higher

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Most of the population have children at some point, family is important but having children is not really an achievement which marks you out from most other people
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,028
    edited February 2022
    Sandpit said:

We were in an aborted landing at Heathrow due to wind and it was really scary but when the pilot was about to touch down and he powered away upwards we were very relieved, though as most of Europe was having the same problems he came in the second time and slapped the wheels onto the runway very hard, and as we taxied we were buffeted quite considerably

Great admiration for the pilots was expressed directly to them by us all as got off the aircraft
  • Mr. Eagles, is he apologising for putting Verstappen into a 50G crash at Silverstone*?

*Mwhahaha. I'm just messing with you. Or am I?

[Yes, I am].
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Would anyone like to defend the New York Times' banning of the word "slave" from Wordle?

https://www.newsweek.com/wordle-bans-slave-new-york-times-offensive-words-banned-removed-1679793

Are we allowed "arses" to describe the NYT.

Or can we have a "Wordle dictionary filter" to ban offensive 5 letter words from readers of the NYT.
    That site forecasts 52 mph gusting to 76 mph for Freshwater mid morning, which is certainly more sensible than the BBC's current forecast of 115mph, which as an average appears absurd.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,981

Strong indications Putin hoped he could goad Zelensky into doing something rash, just as he did Georgia's Saakashvili in 2008 (perhaps assuming that *surely* a populist former comedian would be easy to provoke). Yet Zelensky and 🇺🇦 at large are remaining remarkably disciplined.

Ukrainian discipline + radical transparency from US and its allies (putting intel on attack plans, possible false flags etc into public domain) = harder for Putin to manufacture a pretext, catch opponents off guard and claim defensive motives. It shrinks the grey zone.

https://twitter.com/jeremycliffe/status/1494575382598672384?s=21

This is what I am hearing too. Everytime the Russians set up a full order of battle, the Americans are telling the Ukrainians, and the Russians realise that they could face serious trouble with no element of surprise. Although US/UK is evacuating staff, "in order to avoid provocation", in fact the UA now probably has sufficient resources to inflict a real mauling on any incoming Russian attack. The US and NATO in general seems increasingly determined to punish any misstep from Putin with a significant defeat. As a result the Kremlin is beginning to feel the heat. This may, of course lead to lashing out elsewhere, but they cant take on Ukraine and also launch any effective strike in, say, the Baltic. Russian forces are looking overstretched even for a thrust into Ukraine and meanwhile NATO is taking the opportunity to settle a few scores in the hybrid wars. Putins little helpers will be being shamed on the front pages, while major pushback in the Russian launched cyberwar will not.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Most of the population have children at some point, family is important but having children is not really an achievement which marks you out from most other people
    Unless you have experienced it first hand, you cannot comprehend the, pride, joy and satisfaction it brings. A bit like voting LD or Labour for the first time.
    This storm is pathetic
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    You are a very sad person, to most having family is the single most important achievement in their lives and their grandchildren enrich them in later life

• Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

It was just Southerners getting all PonceyBootsGaylord over some wind, Storm Arwen, now that was a proper storm.
    IanB2 said:

That site forecasts 52 mph gusting to 76 mph for Freshwater mid morning, which is certainly more sensible than the BBC's current forecast of 115mph, which as an average appears absurd.
    I think the BBCs weather must be done by an algorithm with no human input as some of the wind speeds they have predicted for areas along the south coast are silly.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Your original comment said 'highlight', trust me, having kids is the highlight.
  • IanB2 said:

windy.com is the only live weather site you need

Looking at it I don't think it's live - but a forecast depending on which model you choose bottom right. It'll have current data input to it periodically, but I don't know how often?
    Seems to have done a good job in tracking the weather front here. Said it wasn't snowing when it wasn't snowing. Showed the edge of the front to the south. Showed the front as it hit us and snow falling pretty much in real time.
  • Mr. Eagles, is he apologising for putting Verstappen into a 50G crash at Silverstone*?

*Mwhahaha. I'm just messing with you. Or am I?

[Yes, I am].

It's called motor racing.
  • IanB2 said:

Here along the coast there's been a noticeable step up the last ten minutes. The Newport weather station is reporting 30mph average with gusts higher
    We are still quite calm and the sea is smooth which seems to be the lull before the delayed storm

12 noon is critical as this is the high spring tide and is the threat to Llandudno Town Centre if the storm arrives at the same time
    Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

If you were still holed up in Penarth you'd be ****ing yourself right now. It is very, very blustery here on the SE Wales coast.
    Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

It seems to have passed through Ireland now and hasn't been too bad. All Irelands trains are now allowed to go at normal speed on all routes
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Life is entirely about how you impact on others. Yes your work has impact, but your immortality is through the legacy you build through your children. And for so many of us building that legacy is what drives us to work doing we do.

So don't me having kids is ordinary. You post some of the most wrong-headed self-inflating guff and this is perhaps the pinnacle achievement of your career to date.

Will it become immortal? Doubtful.
    This storm is pathetic
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Having kids is not an “achievement” or a “highlight”, but if it happens it is the most intense, profound, mysteriously moving human experience - for most people. You create and form another soul. It brings a lifetime of angst, guilt and worry, but, ultimately, for most, it also brings a sense of meaning and purpose and infrequent moments of incomparable happiness

It has rightly been compared to Brexiting

edited February 2022

Sandpit said:

We were in an aborted landing at Heathrow due to wind and it was really scary but when the pilot was about to touch down and he powered away upwards we were very relieved, though as most of Europe was having the same problems he came in the second time and slapped the wheels onto the runway very hard, and as we taxied we were buffeted quite considerably

Great admiration for the pilots was expressed directly to them by us all as got off the aircraft
    About three years ago, coming into Edinburgh from Helsinki in a big storm, it was a horrid, really turbulent approach and sure enough we had to go around. When we finally did make it down, the passport guys, looking at the green faced, rather subdued passengers were asking us "if you had a good flight?" with rather suppressed glee. In fact the Finnair guys were pretty heroic, since we were the only flight to actually hit the deck and land safely at Turnhouse in about three hours. When I got to the city centre the gusts were so strong you could not walk into them (c 160km/h) , but just stopped until they lessened.
    Sandpit said:

The smaller planes are all ‘on the go’ at Heathrow now, official wind is only 21kt but it’s obviously worse than that on the ground. Shame we don’t get live ATC online, as they do in the US.

You can get live feeds from airports in France, Ireland and the Netherlands from liveatc.net
  • Mr. Eagles, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

You must really love Masi.
    Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Having kids is not an “achievement” or a “highlight”, but if it happens it is the most intense, profound, mysteriously moving human experience - for most people. You create and form another soul. It brings a lifetime of angst, guilt and worry, but, ultimately, for most, it also brings a sense of meaning and purpose and infrequent moments of incomparable happiness

Not a comparison I would make. Whatever floats your boat.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    You are a very sad person, to most having family is the single most important achievement in their lives and their grandchildren enrich them in later life

I will never ever forget how I felt on the morning that our firstborn was born. Nor how we felt when our (adult) daughter died.
    Now, almost 60 years later my wife is hoping for a great-grandchild, and mildly jealous of those of her friends who have one. However, although one grandchild is married and the other in an apparently stable long-term relationship, there's no sign yet
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161
    Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

Inclined to agree so far. Not even any rain.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Life is entirely about how you impact on others. Yes your work has impact, but your immortality is through the legacy you build through your children. And for so many of us building that legacy is what drives us to work doing we do.

So don't me having kids is ordinary. You post some of the most wrong-headed self-inflating guff and this is perhaps the pinnacle achievement of your career to date.

Will it become immortal? Doubtful.
    Plenty of people don't have children. The idea you are immortal because you have children is absurd, within a few generations all your family will have been born after you died and you will just be part of a family photo album at best.

If you leave a lasting legacy in your field however that can last. Family is important but human beings are more than just baby production factories and your children will ultimately want to lead their own lives too

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

A man who lectures us about family values like HYFUD does, really ought to understand the actual, you know, value of a family.
  • HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Definitely. I do remember having breakfast in the canteen of the hospital a few hours after my first daughter had been born. I was on my own, my wife and daughter were sleeping upstairs, it was a lovely summer day and the sun was streaming through the windows, and the feeling of elation that I had was like nothing I had ever known before.
    I remember feeling similarly joyful after the births of my other two children, but I think the first time is especially memorable.
    Way back in 1966 when our first born came along I was not allowed at the hospital and waited for a phone call at home, also with my daughter in 1971, but I was present at the birth of our second son in 1975 and it was amazing

Times do change and often for the better
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Sandpit said:

?

I'm in Southwold.

Nah - its not that good. For a start the sun sets in the wrong place. Best seaside resorts have the sun setting out to sea.
  • That is one seriously beautiful car from Mercedes.

The iPhone of F1 cars.

IanB2 said:

We are still quite calm and the sea is smooth which seems to be the lull before the delayed storm

12 noon is critical as this is the high spring tide and is the threat to Llandudno Town Centre if the storm arrives at the same time
    North Wales is green on windy.com currently. The peak hits you around 1300-1400 by the look of it.
  • Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I had a blast at UCL. Wasn’t rich but coming to London after the tedium of small town England. Whoah. The drugs. The music. The girls (occasionally). Brilliant

(rape trial) but my 30s were shit (late stage heroin addiction), then I had another upturn, popped out some kids, I peaked in my 50s (lots of money sex luxury travel), then covid, divorce, suicide bids…. Feel quite chirpy now.
    You should write a memoir. Lots of good material in there. You've certainly had a life of ups and downs.
    My life has been remarkably fortunate, steady and pleasant, with few really dramatic peaks and troughs, and I give thanks for it every day. I keep expecting something awful to happen to balance it out.
    Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

I so wanted to like that, but you had to add the last sentence. I know it's a joke and not a bad one at that, but you seriously need help. It is going to drive you crazy (if that is not too late).
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

So far. Its not reached you yet. Only starting to ramp up for me in West Wilts now. Definite increase in wind speed in last 15 minutes.

I'd wait until the evening before calling it...

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

Not a comparison I would make. Whatever floats your boat.
    He's a man sadly obsessed
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A “highlight” is not necessarily the same as a “main achievement”
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    Cicero said:

Sandpit said:

About three years ago, coming into Edinburgh from Helsinki in a big storm, it was a horrid, really turbulent approach and sure enough we had to go around. When we finally did make it down, the passport guys, looking at the green faced, rather subdued passengers were asking us "if you had a good flight?" with rather suppressed glee. In fact the Finnair guys were pretty heroic, since we were the only flight to actually hit the deck and land safely at Turnhouse in about three hours. When I got to the city centre the gusts were so strong you could not walk into them (c 160km/h) , but just stopped until they lessened.
    Coming into City Airport in a Fokker turboprop, years back, the plane was all over the shop. We finally settled (kinda) into a descent where the plane was heading for the runway, but was pointing seriously to one side (crabbed landing)

When it came to touch down, the pilot (I was sitting up front and the cockpit door was latched open - pre 2001) pushed the yoke forward to hammer the plane into the ground. The gear hit with a bang and we straighten up in a massive lurch.

I'd seen what was about to happen, and was hanging onto my armrest. Several other people were really thrown about by that.
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

It seems to have passed through Ireland now and hasn't been too bad. All Irelands trains are now allowed to go at normal speed on all routes
    I can see you Steve Baker Brexiteers just laugh in the face of a force 10 gale. And now the rains are a coming...

I moved Mrs M's Mercedes to the far end of the drive away from the house last night as a precaution. Where it was parked there now lies an upturned black wheelie bin.

It is blowing b*****d hard here now, and we are not yet at peak gusting.
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You should write a memoir. Lots of good material in there. You've certainly had a life of ups and downs.
    My life has been remarkably fortunate, steady and pleasant, with few really dramatic peaks and troughs, and I give thanks for it every day. I keep expecting something awful to happen to balance it out.
    Just give it time ;) We've all got it coming.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A “highlight” is not necessarily the same as a “main achievement”
    My kids are 100% the highlight of my life, as is marrying my wife.

Even if they're not "achievements". Well my wife would suggest my getting her to go out with me was ...
    Newport now up to 35mph gusting to 40
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Definitely. I do remember having breakfast in the canteen of the hospital a few hours after my first daughter had been born. I was on my own, my wife and daughter were sleeping upstairs, it was a lovely summer day and the sun was streaming through the windows, and the feeling of elation that I had was like nothing I had ever known before.
    I remember feeling similarly joyful after the births of my other two children, but I think the first time is especially memorable.
    Way back in 1966 when our first born came along I was not allowed at the hospital and waited for a phone call at home, also with my daughter in 1971, but I was present at the birth of our second son in 1975 and it was amazing

I can't imagine missing the birth - as you say, things do change for the better.

Great that you were there for one of them though. My dad missed both of his, in the late 70s and early 80s! I don't think it even occurred to my parents - my mum has said that she wouldn't have wanted him there. I still can't really comprehend that.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429

Leon said:

This storm is pathetic

So far. Its not reached you yet. Only starting to ramp up for me in West Wilts now. Definite increase in wind speed in last 15 minutes.

I'd wait until the evening before calling it...
    The peak for London is predicted around 12. The actual measured wind speeds are exceeding the predicted values by a margin...

https://wind.willyweather.co.uk/se/greater-london/london.html
  • HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am also a second son and third child born in 1975! I'm not sure if my dad was present for my birth, which wasn't an easy one (I spent the first few days in an incubator). I was there for the birth of all three of my kids and they were very wonderful experiences, although nothing can prepare you for how gory it is!
This discussion has been closed.