Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

More than 2/3 of those polled blame PM for the harassing of Starmer – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    edited February 2022

A decent keeper saves that or am being harsh on Pickford?

WTF was the wall doing?

EDIT: which is partly Pickford's responsibility.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Senior German MP says Macron has no mandate to negotiate any kind of security order with Putin.

https://twitter.com/amanpour/status/1491116656394973185

I’ve lost track, is PB currently listening to senior German MPs or screaming appeasing Putinesca at them?
    I yearn for a war between France and Germany just because all the little heads on here would pop not knowing whom they would want to lose.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,327

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I hate myself for the fact I'm so obsessed with the Wagatha Christie case.

Some of the private messages relating to the case are missing, for a variety of unfortunate reasons. Vardy’s former agent said her mobile phone was accidentally dropped in the North Sea shortly after Rooney’s lawyers requested access to the device.

“Coincidentally, around the same time, all media files from Mrs Vardy’s WhatsApp conversation with Ms Watt also bizarrely disappeared (and from all backups), whilst apparently in the process of exporting it to her solicitors,” said Rooney’s lawyers.

Jamie Vardy, the Leicester City striker, also said that his “WhatsApp was hacked and all conversations were deleted and could not be restored”, while declining to allow Rooney’s lawyers to examine his phone. The laptop used by Vardy during the crucial period also “no longer functions”, while messages between Rebekah Vardy and Halls appear to have been deleted.

Rebekah Vardy’s own expert described the data recovery situation as “surprising” and “unusual”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/08/rebekah-vardy-said-she-would-love-to-leak-stories-about-coleen-rooney-to-media-instagram

Is this what happens, when two stupid people have unlimited money to try and prove a point against each other?
    Yes. See also regular ‘boundary disputes’ where warring people spend tens of thousands over a few square feet of garden.
    Which reminds me, I need to share this.

Imagine this with any other peoples so casually slurred.

"No, we have never had neighbours from Pakistan before." Or, "No we have never had neighbours from Zimbabwe before".

This is racism. This is Russo-phobia. This is an unhealthy ethnic or national generalization.

Have you checked under the bed recently ? The bears are there. They are in the wardrobe, too.

Russo-phobia runs through Western politics. From Trump, to Brexit, to Scottish nationalism, to Black Lives Matter, it is all caused by the bears.

Whether you are on the left or right of Western politics, it seems absolutely standard to believe that there are millions of gullible people being taken in all the time by vast propaganda machines run by Russian bears.

The Russians made us Brexit. The Russians made us elect Trump.

BLM -- fomented by Russia. QAnon -- fanned by Russia.

Scottish independence -- encouraged by Russia . The weakening of the EU -- Russia.
    Come off it, it’s a funny comment about Putin/Russia, not a racist smear about how Russian people behave.
    Ah. It is just bantz. I see.
    If by bantz you are implying I am excusing a racist joke, then no, it’s not just bantz. Do you honestly think it was intended as a racist slur? I mean really? It’s so obviously about Putin, you’d have to be looking for offence to find it...
    How do you think a Russian living in the UK might feel about that "joke"?
    Pretty good, and pretty pleased to be living here rather than in Russia.
    Actually, most of the ones I know are quietly sad because they have had to leave Russia. And they do notice that Russians are blamed for everything.

Do you not think England might be a better target for the Joke?

Which country has stolen 6 of its neighbour's counties ? Or a rock in Spain? And so on.
    I've changed my mind, you do get comedy, as that is hilarious. I was almost fooled it was serious for a moment.
    I think with "England" replacing "Russia" it is a great, great cartoon.

"No, we have never had neighbours from England before", as the English neighbours appropriate the garden.

That is a cartoon that will be a best seller in the Rest of the World.

I'll handle the Welsh sales.
    You should see the stuff I share on WhatsApp.

It's all a bit Carry On Up the Khyber.
    Which in itself is an hilarious reference to anal sex 👍
    So never having considered that in my 49 years on the planet, now I’ll never be able to think of the film in the same way again...
    Khyber pass = arse. Did you seriously not know?
    Just never thought. Maybe I don’t have a smutty mind, although as I love the film, I really do. So no excuse.
    They’re a great series of films really ran out of steam towards the end. I Probably do have a smutty mind, or like seaside postcard humour. love the double entendres.
    Cleo, Khyber, Follow that camel, camping. Could watch them over and over. Jim Dale probably the lynchpin for me.
    Cleo is just brill. Kenneth Connor as Hengist Podd and his wife Senna. A cheap laugh but so what. I love all of those four and Jack and Convenience I could watch time and time again. Same with the On the Buses films.

The Doctor movies are all pretty good too.
  • Options

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Some of the private messages relating to the case are missing, for a variety of unfortunate reasons. Vardy’s former agent said her mobile phone was accidentally dropped in the North Sea shortly after Rooney’s lawyers requested access to the device.

“Coincidentally, around the same time, all media files from Mrs Vardy’s WhatsApp conversation with Ms Watt also bizarrely disappeared (and from all backups), whilst apparently in the process of exporting it to her solicitors,” said Rooney’s lawyers.

Jamie Vardy, the Leicester City striker, also said that his “WhatsApp was hacked and all conversations were deleted and could not be restored”, while declining to allow Rooney’s lawyers to examine his phone. The laptop used by Vardy during the crucial period also “no longer functions”, while messages between Rebekah Vardy and Halls appear to have been deleted.

Rebekah Vardy’s own expert described the data recovery situation as “surprising” and “unusual”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/08/rebekah-vardy-said-she-would-love-to-leak-stories-about-coleen-rooney-to-media-instagram

Is this what happens, when two stupid people have unlimited money to try and prove a point against each other?
    Yes. See also regular ‘boundary disputes’ where warring people spend tens of thousands over a few square feet of garden.

"No, we have never had neighbours from Pakistan before." Or, "No we have never had neighbours from Zimbabwe before".

This is racism. This is Russo-phobia. This is an unhealthy ethnic or national generalization.

Have you checked under the bed recently ? The bears are there. They are in the wardrobe, too.

Russo-phobia runs through Western politics. From Trump, to Brexit, to Scottish nationalism, to Black Lives Matter, it is all caused by the bears.

Whether you are on the left or right of Western politics, it seems absolutely standard to believe that there are millions of gullible people being taken in all the time by vast propaganda machines run by Russian bears.

Scottish independence -- encouraged by Russia . The weakening of the EU -- Russia.
    Come off it, it’s a funny comment about Putin/Russia, not a racist smear about how Russian people behave.
    If by bantz you are implying I am excusing a racist joke, then no, it’s not just bantz. Do you honestly think it was intended as a racist slur? I mean really? It’s so obviously about Putin, you’d have to be looking for offence to find it...
    Actually, most of the ones I know are quietly sad because they have had to leave Russia. And they do notice that Russians are blamed for everything.

Which country has stolen 6 of its neighbour's counties ? Or a rock in Spain? And so on.
    I've changed my mind, you do get comedy, as that is hilarious. I was almost fooled it was serious for a moment.

"No, we have never had neighbours from England before", as the English neighbours appropriate the garden.

So never having considered that in my 49 years on the planet, now I’ll never be able to think of the film in the same way again...
    Just never thought. Maybe I don’t have a smutty mind, although as I love the film, I really do. So no excuse.
    They’re a great series of films really ran out of steam towards the end. I Probably do have a smutty mind, or like seaside postcard humour. love the double entendres.
    Cleo, Khyber, Follow that camel, camping. Could watch them over and over. Jim Dale probably the lynchpin for me.
    Dale was a very good actor.

I once saw him as Autolycus in a poor production of A Winter's Tale (one of the Bard's worst efforts). He stood out head and shoulders above the rest and just about rescued the show.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

Senior German MP says Macron has no mandate to negotiate any kind of security order with Putin.

I’ve lost track, is PB currently listening to senior German MPs or screaming appeasing Putinesca at them?
    I yearn for a war between France and Germany just because all the little heads on here would pop not knowing whom they would want to lose.
    Both is a valid answer.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Cleo is just brill. Kenneth Connor as Hengist Podd and his wife Senna. A cheap laugh but so what. I love all of those four and Jack and Convenience I could watch time and time again. Same with the On the Buses films.

I would add Carry on Screaming. No Sid James but still a wonderful film made all the better by the addition of Harry H Corbett
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,614
    Farooq said:

The French.

We have been at war with the French for 1,000 years. We have had a couple of smallish arguments with the Germans.

When they are not looking, we can nick The Pale of Calais back.
  • Options
    Bulgarian cops use pepper spray but forget the wind direction 😂

https://twitter.com/based__uk/status/1491066475888902145?s=21
  • Options

Farooq said:

The French.

We have been at war with the French for 1,000 years. We have had a couple of smallish arguments with the Germans.

"We" haven't. You, maybe.
  • Options

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I once saw him as Autolycus in a poor production of A Winter's Tale (one of the Bard's worst efforts). He stood out head and shoulders above the rest and just about rescued the show.
    I believe he is just about the last of the core Carry-on crew still alive.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,209
    NEW: Sir John Major is expected to accuse Boris Johnson of corroding trust in politics in a bruising partygate intervention on Thursday. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/08/sir-john-major-set-accuse-boris-johnson-harming-trust-politics/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,055
    edited February 2022

Perhaps people are taking things comment by comment rather than aiming for some kind of fantasy group consistency? Or is the joke here that people 'should' be judging every single comment out there by who says it, and they are somehow silly if they don't do that?

Honestly, I don't get the gag.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

The French.

Sigh. No one watches Yes Minister anymore, do they?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Following more or less the pattern of WWI and WWII, both of course.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I would add Carry on Screaming. No Sid James but still a wonderful film made all the better by the addition of Harry H Corbett
    Yes, it’s really good and really does work as an homage to the hammer movies of the time.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,741
    Off topic:

First post from my new tablet.

The battery life on the old one has become rubbish so time for an update.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

The French.

Yikes, I have and I didn't recognise it. I'm sorry.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

But rather like one of those hotel toasters, he keeps going round again and again.

All getting darker each time he does.

Johnson looks to be anything but toast to me.

His scorched earth gamble was looking like an error late last week, but after yesterday he can see that Starmer's name is now inextricably linked to Savile's, hence his and Philp's doubling down today.

Johnson is very confident he's comprehensively won this. He survives and the Starmer brand well and truly trashed.
    Just bear in mind, everyone, that MexicanPete is the person who thought Johnson's slur about Jimmy Savile was ...

"funny"

And MexicanPete then continued to repeat this for the following 48 hours.
    When did I say it was "funny"?

I said on Monday week it was an effective line by Johnson. I later though it was an error Johnson is doubling down on this today by not apologising after events yesterday because he can see that on every news report, every demand for an apology is met with Starmer and Savile in the same sentence. Chris Philp must have repeated Starmer and Savile in the same sentence a dozen times on R4 Today.

Whatever the cynicism of Johnson's initial statement he now understands this is working for him. If you can't see this is hurting Starmer more than Johnson you are deluded.
    I think you're very wrong if you think this is harming Starmer more than Johnson. Quite the reverse. This has done Starmer a favour. Once the 'honest broker' resigned in disgust there could only be one winner. The public had no idea who did or said what until the resignation followed by days of hand wringing from the BBC.

After that it was a done deal. I'd go further and say it added to the notion that Starmer is a straight dealer and that Johnson isn't. It's always the case that publicity benefits the market leader and Johnson is always going to be the market leader in telling lies
    THIS suggests that - for surely the first ever time in PB history - you are completely wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/08/they-all-blame-each-other-little-sympathy-for-starmer-after-savile-slur?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Anecdata. Might be representative, might not be.
    I thought the headline wasn’t really supported by the evidence in the story.

My Dad pointed out one of the problems with fox popping to me years ago because something happened that wound him up. It was something slightly controversial about football club, a local media went out one weekday morning vox popping, and put together really negative headline and story based on what they found. But they didn’t actually talk to any fans who go to the games, just a load of old ladies doing shopping, “business owners” shop keepers, taxi driver etc, etc. My Dad said vox popping doesn’t always sample representatively enough because people, like the football fans in that particular instance, are in work.

So when papers do a story like the one linked, or Sky spend a day on a constituency, or BBC go to the place where next weeks election is held, you can see with your own eyes how flawed and waste of time it is, because they rarely get to the cross section of people in work, it’s so often laughably imbalanced.

Tell me I’m wrong. PBs good at doing that 🙂
    More than that, most surveys are deeply flawed in their sampling.

Trust reputable pollsters, ONS surveys* and other long-running surveys run by universities and (some) scientific papers. That's about it.

*these come with a very detailed account of the sampling, the strategy and how to correct for the limitations
    Thanks. 👍🏻

I’ve got a big question on Libdem polling I couldn’t ask last few weeks when banned, I’ll ask it now.

are libdems only polling 9’s sometimes because their strengths are in certain regions hard for national polls to recognise? In May elections where Libdems had MPs in recent history, like new super council in South West, can they capture that Super Council even when polling 9’s or 10’s nationally?
    @MoonRabbit How the hell did you manage to get banned? I better watch my step.
    She was rude about Radiohead.

You better watch your step.
    That seems a bit harsh. I do not like Radiohead and I have said so. The only group worth listening to is Abba since human alive is born knowing all the lyrics.

I do keep a special place in my heart for Gloria Gaynor's "Will I survive" because it is totally a girl-power anthem which is why it was distressing to find that the Chief Knobber and his jester sang it :angry:
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Sir John Major is expected to accuse Boris Johnson of corroding trust in politics in a bruising partygate intervention on Thursday. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/08/sir-john-major-set-accuse-boris-johnson-harming-trust-politics/

After recess starts.

Hmmmm...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

The French.

I do. Yes Prime Minister was on just now.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

The French.

It's in one the explanations about Foreign policy - that it's all about the French. Not the Russians, incidentally.

Also in the sketch about why the UK *has* to have nuclear weapons.

EDIT: The Pale of Calais is my addition. Since the various groups representing refugees say that conditions are intolerable there, then that part of France is obviously a failed state. Plus the French have oil (not much, but hey). We all know what happens to failed states with oil, don't we?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Following more or less the pattern of WWI and WWII, both of course.
    The Franco-Prussian war is an overlooked candidate here.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

Both is a valid answer.
    Yes, I think these can now be termed Vardy v Rooney contests.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FPT

kjh said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

I like Liechtenstein's parliament building

I like that! Good contender. Modest yet handsome
    The Manx Tynwald is probably the most Covid-safe parliament in the world:

Do you realise how much you have just screwed up my search facility with that one careless post?!!!! :)

Now as long as this thread is active I will have to put an extra letter into the search when I go looking to see if I have had any replies to my comments.

Aaaaaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!
    I shall have to remember to mention Tyneside, Tynemouth etc as frequently as possible in my posts from now on :wink:
    The opportunities for messing Richard up are huge. The Tyndall effect, Tyndall National Institute, Tyndall Centre for Climate Change, Tyndall Funds, etc, etc. Google just goes on and on and on.
    At least some of those (Effect and Climate Change) are named after my Great great great great? Uncle John. I have a collection of his books.
    An important and interesting chap - I was reading recently about the C19 movement to separate religion out of science (partly to avoud arguments about religion from a sectarian point of view) and his role in that, allied to Thomas Henry Huxley.

https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/V/bo17213224.html
    Yep he was one of the group of populist scientists around Huxley who were pushing the secularist science approach.

One story I love is that the group of them would give lectures at the Royal Society and the following night would go to a local factory and give exactly the same lecture to a few thousand workers.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    MaxPB said:

It's actually shocking that Macron is so ready to give away the kitchen sink to Russia and get precisely zero in return. I never had him down as a moron, just an irritant.

As always with diplomacy and negotiation, the important stuff isn't what is in the public domain but what sits out of sight, behind the scenes, the back door of deal making.

I've always thought there's a deal to be done - there usually is. Putin is no Peter the Great but he will need to show something for all this (the removal of Zelensky perhaps). He will know the diplomatic, economic and military ramifications of a full invasion - whether there's a plan to emasculate Ukraine by advancing to the Dnieper while leaving a weakened western Ukraine untouched I'm not sure.

Whatever the case, the assumption the West will "give away the kitchen sink" is, I suspect, far from the truth. Putin may get some of what he wants but there will be a price albeit one which may not be obvious.
  • Options

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I believe he is just about the last of the core Carry-on crew still alive.
    Yes he is, the last of the core stars since Babs Windsor died in 2020.
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    24m
    Wednesday’s International FINANCIAL TIMES: “EU unveils €43bn chip plants drive after pandemic’s lessons on supply” #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Birmingham Erdington SOPN (Candidates):

🌳 Conservative
    🚌 Militant Bus Pass Elvis
    ➡️ Reform UK
    🔶 Lib Dem
    🌹 Labour
    🌍 Green
    🙋 Holmes (IND)
    🙋 Lutwyche (IND)
    ✝️ Christian People's Alliance
    🧑‍🔧 Trade Union & Socialist Coalition
    🙋 O'Rourke (IND)
    🎩 Monster Raving Loony

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1491164359091195906
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

But rather like one of those hotel toasters, he keeps going round again and again.

His scorched earth gamble was looking like an error late last week, but after yesterday he can see that Starmer's name is now inextricably linked to Savile's, hence his and Philp's doubling down today.

Johnson is very confident he's comprehensively won this. He survives and the Starmer brand well and truly trashed.
    Just bear in mind, everyone, that MexicanPete is the person who thought Johnson's slur about Jimmy Savile was ...

"funny"

I said on Monday week it was an effective line by Johnson. I later though it was an error Johnson is doubling down on this today by not apologising after events yesterday because he can see that on every news report, every demand for an apology is met with Starmer and Savile in the same sentence. Chris Philp must have repeated Starmer and Savile in the same sentence a dozen times on R4 Today.

Whatever the cynicism of Johnson's initial statement he now understands this is working for him. If you can't see this is hurting Starmer more than Johnson you are deluded.
    I think you're very wrong if you think this is harming Starmer more than Johnson. Quite the reverse. This has done Starmer a favour. Once the 'honest broker' resigned in disgust there could only be one winner. The public had no idea who did or said what until the resignation followed by days of hand wringing from the BBC.

After that it was a done deal. I'd go further and say it added to the notion that Starmer is a straight dealer and that Johnson isn't. It's always the case that publicity benefits the market leader and Johnson is always going to be the market leader in telling lies
    THIS suggests that - for surely the first ever time in PB history - you are completely wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/08/they-all-blame-each-other-little-sympathy-for-starmer-after-savile-slur?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

My Dad pointed out one of the problems with fox popping to me years ago because something happened that wound him up. It was something slightly controversial about football club, a local media went out one weekday morning vox popping, and put together really negative headline and story based on what they found. But they didn’t actually talk to any fans who go to the games, just a load of old ladies doing shopping, “business owners” shop keepers, taxi driver etc, etc. My Dad said vox popping doesn’t always sample representatively enough because people, like the football fans in that particular instance, are in work.

So when papers do a story like the one linked, or Sky spend a day on a constituency, or BBC go to the place where next weeks election is held, you can see with your own eyes how flawed and waste of time it is, because they rarely get to the cross section of people in work, it’s so often laughably imbalanced.

Trust reputable pollsters, ONS surveys* and other long-running surveys run by universities and (some) scientific papers. That's about it.

*these come with a very detailed account of the sampling, the strategy and how to correct for the limitations
    Thanks. 👍🏻

I’ve got a big question on Libdem polling I couldn’t ask last few weeks when banned, I’ll ask it now.

are libdems only polling 9’s sometimes because their strengths are in certain regions hard for national polls to recognise? In May elections where Libdems had MPs in recent history, like new super council in South West, can they capture that Super Council even when polling 9’s or 10’s nationally?

That seems a bit harsh. I do not like Radiohead and I have said so. The only group worth listening to is Abba since human alive is born knowing all the lyrics.

I do keep a special place in my heart for Gloria Gaynor's "Will I survive" because it is totally a girl-power anthem which is why it was distressing to find that the Chief Knobber and his jester sang it :angry:
    I Will Survive?

No Karaoke night is complete without some pissed-up divorcee sobbing her way through that one.
  • Options
    kjh said:

FPT

kjh said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Do you realise how much you have just screwed up my search facility with that one careless post?!!!! :)

Now as long as this thread is active I will have to put an extra letter into the search when I go looking to see if I have had any replies to my comments.

I shall have to remember to mention Tyneside, Tynemouth etc as frequently as possible in my posts from now on :wink:
    The opportunities for messing Richard up are huge. The Tyndall effect, Tyndall National Institute, Tyndall Centre for Climate Change, Tyndall Funds, etc, etc. Google just goes on and on and on.
    At least some of those (Effect and Climate Change) are named after my Great great great great? Uncle John. I have a collection of his books.
    That is excellent. Wish I had such a claim to fame.
    Sadly I need it. As some on here know, I am also related to a far more infamous John Tyndall. Mind you he was used by my parents as an example of how not to live your life so I suppose in a way I should be grateful for that as well.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

The French.

It's in one the explanations about Foreign policy - that it's all about the French. Not the Russians, incidentally.

Also in the sketch about why the UK *has* to have nuclear weapons.

EDIT: The Pale of Calais is my addition. Since the various groups representing refugees say that conditions are intolerable there, then that part of France is obviously a failed state. Plus the French have oil (not much, but hey). We all know what happens to failed states with oil, don't we?
    Treaties of Union, if memory serves?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Er, you might want to look up a family that was quite famous a while ago, that was fairly instrumental in starting the "English" Empire. Their name was Tudor. Funny how so-many anti-English fuckwits don't know the first thing about history.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,463
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

The French.

Your ambitions are so limited!

AND

• Options

This sounds interesting.

What do you have?
    Some of his notes and then a collection of his own personal copies of his works on Light and Sound.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Er, you might want to look up a family that was quite famous a while ago, that was fairly instrumental in starting the "English" Empire. Their name was Tudor. Funny how so-many anti-English fuckwits don't know the first thing about history.
    What about the Tudors?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,839
    Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Convenience is amongst my favourites, though it fell rather flat at the box office.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,638
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Fox popping is just WRONG
    🤦‍♀️Ruddy auto correction!
    I was sure you'd find a way to brush it off.
    But there is no such thing as going Fox Popping. Not even cat kicking footballers could condone that. Admittedly, when a fox ate half of Paloma Faith I could have killed it with my bare hands.

I don’t understand your quip, but I know it’s a very risqué pun of some sort. No. Don’t tempt me into anything smutty again. To be unbanned I promised the admins I can tone down my usual dirty mind and cut out excessive sauciness (I am not sure I can, but I will try). So Even if it’s incredibly funny diversion, you love it, heads literally roll off laughing and I get a billion likes, I’m not posting sauce, I don’t want to get banned again, it was horrible. 😔
    A fox's tail is called a 'brush.'

I'm amazed you think I would ever post anything smutty.
    And I’m amazed you thought that was the three-thirty at Newmarket.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

It's actually shocking that Macron is so ready to give away the kitchen sink to Russia and get precisely zero in return. I never had him down as a moron, just an irritant.

As always with diplomacy and negotiation, the important stuff isn't what is in the public domain but what sits out of sight, behind the scenes, the back door of deal making.

I've always thought there's a deal to be done - there usually is. Putin is no Peter the Great but he will need to show something for all this (the removal of Zelensky perhaps). He will know the diplomatic, economic and military ramifications of a full invasion - whether there's a plan to emasculate Ukraine by advancing to the Dnieper while leaving a weakened western Ukraine untouched I'm not sure.

Whatever the case, the assumption the West will "give away the kitchen sink" is, I suspect, far from the truth. Putin may get some of what he wants but there will be a price albeit one which may not be obvious.
    The issue is that we have no leverage over Putin. Forcing a Ukrainian disarmament or just abandoning them leaves the road open for Putin to roll tanks through the whole nation.

The other problem I've got with this is that we're not in the room and neither is the US, yet Macron may try and bind both nations to whatever he comes up with. That's extremely worrying and what the German MP was getting at, Macron is casting about that he has some European level mandate to negotiate with Putin, yet the reality is that France is incapable of even pursuing individual sanctions on Russia without a negotiation with the other 26 and then he would need to get the UK and US on board. In the end Macron is simply validating Putin and simultaneously watering down Western resolve to not negotiate while Putin has his tanks parked at the border.
  • Options

Farooq said:

The French.

AND

Do you think that the French thought that if we had pushed them all the way south, they would have said "We better hold them here or we have nothing Toulouse? "
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,846

Peter Thiel to Exit Meta’s Board to Support Trump-Aligned Candidates

The tech billionaire, who has been on the board of the company formerly known as Facebook since 2005, is backing numerous politicians in the midterm elections.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/07/technology/peter-thiel-facebook.html

(Thiel has given $10m to JD Vance for a run for Senate in Ohio. A name imho to watch PB betting guys)

I recommend Vance as a name to watch… in order to lay! Completely over-hyped.
    Hillbilly Elegy is one of the stranger books I've read.

The documentary stuff is very well observed.

But a good half of it is "how I got out of this terrible situation" mixed with "and here's how America can do it too", and that half is just dire... patronising and glib. Like a right-wing Owen Jones but without the humility and levity. Yes, exactly.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/07/jd-vance-warning-ohio-senate-race-00006310
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,055
    Applicant said:

🌳 Conservative
    ➡️ Reform UK
    🔶 Lib Dem
    🌹 Labour
    🌍 Green
    🙋 Holmes (IND)
    🙋 Lutwyche (IND)
    🙋 O'Rourke (IND)
    🎩 Monster Raving Loony

Three Ind? Our cup runneth over, I hope one of them is a complete nutjob.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

kjh said:

FPT

kjh said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Sadly I need it. As some on here know, I am also related to a far more infamous John Tyndall. Mind you he was used by my parents as an example of how not to live your life so I suppose in a way I should be grateful for that as well.
    When I was doing my grandfather's family tree, I discovered that I'm a descendent of someone who literally got away with murder:

http://www.thepeerage.com/p10942.htm#i109420
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

What about the Tudors?
    er, they were Welsh
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Fenella Fielding looks OK :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Thanks. 👍🏻

Is now a good time to mention I have evidence from another place of you being rude about Radiohead as well Robert? :) I did tell you at the time I thought it might come in useful some day ...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Convenience is amongst my favourites, though it fell rather flat at the box office.
    All of the films were made for next to nothing as well. They had minuscule budgets.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Do you mind if I smoke.
  • Options

Farooq said:

The French.

AND

Read The Secret Plan

First we get Calais, then we take Normandy. Then the treaty of Paris gets enforced.

Shushhhhhhhhh!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I cannot recall who is reputed to have said "The Germans and the British are just squabbling cousins. The French are the real enemy of both"
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kjh said:

FPT

kjh said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

When I was doing my grandfather's family tree, I discovered that I'm a descendent of someone who literally got away with murder:

http://www.thepeerage.com/p10942.htm#i109420
    Wow. He was a bit of a wild feller!
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

The French.

AND

Do you think that the French thought that if we had pushed them all the way south, they would have said "We better hold them here or we have nothing Toulouse? "
    Ah, quite the Gasconade!

Perhaps an opportunity for a Coup De Maine?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

She sounded even better.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2022

I criticise a cartoon that conflates being Russian with being an imperialist land grabber.

The anglophiles on pb.com respond, 'No. It's a very funny cartoon. It is all fair comment.'

I transpose the caption, replacing Russian with English to show the nature of the problem.

The outraged anglophiles on pb.com respond "You Anti-English fuckwit".
  • Options

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

What about the Tudors?
    er, they were Welsh
    The first one, Henry VII, was born in Wales. But what of it? Wales had been annexed centuries earlier than all that.
    Do you think a single Welsh-born king means that, what, Wales ruled England? That's a vexatiously dishonest interpretation of late mediaeval and early modern English history.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330

I criticise a cartoon that conflates being Russian with being an imperialist land grabber.

The anglophiles on pb.com respond, 'No. It's a very funny cartoon. It is all fair comment.'

I transpose the caption, replacing Russian with English to show the nature of the problem.

I didn’t. I agreed with you, if set when England/Britain was doing this. We are not doing it now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Applicant said:

🌳 Conservative
    ➡️ Reform UK
    🔶 Lib Dem
    🌹 Labour
    🌍 Green
    🙋 Holmes (IND)
    🙋 Lutwyche (IND)
    🙋 O'Rourke (IND)
    🎩 Monster Raving Loony

Three Ind? Our cup runneth over, I hope one of them is a complete nutjob.
    2nd place for Bus Pass Elvis me thinks.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,209
  • Options

This sounds interesting.

What do you have?
    Some of his notes and then a collection of his own personal copies of his works on Light and Sound.
    Wonderful. (I have 3 Tyndall early editions).

What are the notes on? Do the original hand-written manuscripts of Tyndall's books still exist?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    After The Times ran an anti-Ardern article yesterday, it's interesting to note the latest poll from NZ suggesting she's far from toast (with mushrooms on top) just yet.

The poll is from Newshub-Ried Research (changes from September 2020):

Labour: 44.3% (-5.7)
    National: 31.3% (+5.7)
    Green: 9.6% (+1.7)
    ACT: 8.0% (+0.4)

The surge of support enjoyed by ACT in 2021 while Collins limped on as National leader has disappeared with the election of Christopher Luxon as National leader and he has made a start in recovering National's poll position but the Labour-Green coalition is on 53.9% and would be comfortably re-elected on these numbers.
  • Options

I don't agree with your interpretation* of the cartoon, but I gotta admit that's a watertight case of hypocrisy you just presented.

*because this is obviously a transposition of international politics into a domestic setting. It's "amusing" because it follows a classical satirical form of "what if ordinary people acted like that?" It doesn't serve as an accusation that ordinary people DO act like that. But I don't want to steamroll your other point, which is spot on.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,438

Farooq said:

The French.

The first part of the English war with the French was effectively a civil war, as the upstart Normans tried to claim the French throne as the only way to avoid losing their French lands. The Normans/English lost, and tried to forget all about it out of embarrassment.

The second part of the English (and then British) war with the French was also out of necessity, because France was the strongest European power, and so war was a matter of resisting French hegemony. This came to an end when the power of France was broken.

So war with Germany arose because they were now the strongest European power. This is still the case, at least economically. So I should think that if it ever came to another Franco-German conflict we would have to be on the French side again - because Germany would pose the greater threat.

I'm sure France would be delighted to have our support on that basis.
  • Options

Because you went on a rant suggesting that the British Empire was "English". Best check the glorious histories of the many Welsh and Scottish regiments and colonialists from all the "Home" nations who enthusiastically helped the building of Empire. It wasn't just England. If you think it was, you are most definitely a first class fuckwit.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,491

Farooq said:

The French.

AND

If we had pushed any further it would have been too hot to do anything energetic. Sensibly we stuck to the bits with British weather, near enough.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

She sounded even better.

Met her at a live show when I was sixteen. If she'd played her cards right, she could have had me.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

What about the Tudors?
    er, they were Welsh
    The first one, Henry VII, was born in Wales. But what of it? Wales had been annexed centuries earlier than all that.
    Do you think a single Welsh-born king means that, what, Wales ruled England? That's a vexatiously dishonest interpretation of late mediaeval and early modern English history.
    They were a Welsh family. The fuckwit who went on an anti-English rant was suggesting that teh British Empire was "English". It was a good bit of racism from a person that was suggesting an anti-Putin cartoon was racist
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

What about the Tudors?
    er, they were Welsh
    I was going to say just that. Henry VII had some connection with Wales.

In fact, the later Tudors ruthlessly repressed any signs of Welsh nationalism.

This is a common phenomenon when an ethnic outsider takes control, e.g., Stalin was a great represser of Georgian nationalism, though he also appointed his Georgian cronies (like Lavrentiy Beria) to help run Russia.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Thanks. 👍🏻

Exactly. How can the site ban its MoonRabbit 😤

Though it did give me an opportunity to go out for some fresh limes.

News from the Moon Parliament ref big decision on Elon Musks junk. Obviously we don’t like the sight of it. We don’t like the sight of it looming ever larger. Though I missed emergency Moon Parliament because I was shopping, but the moon is building a big tennis racket to smash any earth junk straight back at you. My lettuce patch is proper safe.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

What about the Tudors?
    er, they were Welsh
    There’s nothing more important than blood and where people were born for certain..er..patriots.
  • Options
    stodge said:

After The Times ran an anti-Ardern article yesterday, it's interesting to note the latest poll from NZ suggesting she's far from toast (with mushrooms on top) just yet.

The surge of support enjoyed by ACT in 2021 while Collins limped on as National leader has disappeared with the election of Christopher Luxon as National leader and he has made a start in recovering National's poll position but the Labour-Green coalition is on 53.9% and would be comfortably re-elected on these numbers.

Yes, I think she's in power until 2026 because the main parties usually get 9 years in power each in New Zealand. That's still arguably surpringly strong for Labour given that the polls including Newshub-Reid understated Labour support in 2020.
  • Options

Farooq said:

The French.

The first part of the English war with the French was effectively a civil war, as the upstart Normans tried to claim the French throne as the only way to avoid losing their French lands. The Normans/English lost, and tried to forget all about it out of embarrassment.

The second part of the English (and then British) war with the French was also out of necessity, because France was the strongest European power, and so war was a matter of resisting French hegemony. This came to an end when the power of France was broken.

So war with Germany arose because they were now the strongest European power. This is still the case, at least economically. So I should think that if it ever came to another Franco-German conflict we would have to be on the French side again - because Germany would pose the greater threat.

I'm sure France would be delighted to have our support on that basis.
    But France and the UK have nukes; Germany does not. So this somewhat improbable hypothetical war wouldn't last very long.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

What about the Tudors?
    er, they were Welsh
    They were a Welsh family. The fuckwit who went on an anti-English rant was suggesting that teh British Empire was "English". It was a good bit of racism from a person that was suggesting an anti-Putin cartoon was racist
    Ahh, wait, I see what's happened here. You think that because Henry VII was Welsh all his descendents are also Welsh, is that it? Never mind the mother, if the dad is X, the child is too. And if the child has a child, also X. Because where you're born and where you live doesn't count. What languages you speak is meaningless. Where your mum is from is irrelevant. Patrimonial nationality transmitted by sperm. Is that it?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

What about the Tudors?
    er, they were Welsh
    There’s nothing more important than blood and where people were born for certain..er..patriots.
    Blood *and* Soil. Blood And Soil. Please get it right.

One People, One State, One Culture
  • Options

stodge said:

Yes, I think she's in power until 2026 because the main parties usually get 9 years in power each in New Zealand. That's still arguably surpringly strong for Labour given that the polls including Newshub-Reid understated Labour support in 2020.
    This NZ poll just came on my twitter feed

https://twitter.com/henryolsenEPPC/status/1491159252777730048?t=8z7PNlvICPBxoDJFYoMG9g&s=19
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,595
    edited February 2022
    It strikes me that Macron is seeking to use diplomacy to try to resolve what's going on in Russia/Ukraine without the need for bloodshed. Good luck to him - I prefer his approach to the sabre-rattling rhetoric favoured by others. Of course it may not work, but there's no harm in trying to avoid war/invasion. I also think he recognises the complexities of the issues involved, to which most only pay lip service. If some of Macron's behaviour is for domestic consumption, that's no different from our PM.

(I now fully expect to be inundated with abuse for being a French-loving Russia-sympathising communist or something. Which I'm not.)
  • Options

kjh said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Thanks. 👍🏻

Exactly. How can the site ban its MoonRabbit 😤

Though it did give me an opportunity to go out for some fresh limes.

News from the Moon Parliament ref big decision on Elon Musks junk. Obviously we don’t like the sight of it. We don’t like the sight of it looming ever larger. Though I missed emergency Moon Parliament because I was shopping, but the moon is building a big tennis racket to smash any earth junk straight back at you. My lettuce patch is proper safe.
    On the LibDems - they are polling where they are because they aren't getting noticed.

Labour vs Conservative is obvious - tons of churn in the media - mainstream and social.

The Greens are getting noticed because x% of stories in the media are about climate change/the environment.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Farooq said:

I don't agree with your interpretation* of the cartoon, but I gotta admit that's a watertight case of hypocrisy you just presented.

*because this is obviously a transposition of international politics into a domestic setting. It's "amusing" because it follows a classical satirical form of "what if ordinary people acted like that?" It doesn't serve as an accusation that ordinary people DO act like that. But I don't want to steamroll your other point, which is spot on.
    It really isn't. How would this have worked in the 1930s, saying you can't have anti Hitler cartoons because Germans and racism? Bear in mind that ybc is demented enough to think that Boudicca was Welsh.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Yep - viewing figures went down the crapper.

That’s the one where the budgie picks the winning horses?
  • Options

This sounds interesting.

What do you have?
    Wonderful. (I have 3 Tyndall early editions).

What are the notes on? Do the original hand-written manuscripts of Tyndall's books still exist?
    They may do but I don't know where they are. The notes are in the form of a couple of notebooks with various scribblings on all sorts of things - some observations on the Alps and some bits on jointing in rocks. I am particularly interested in those as i am a geologist. Nothing that relates to his more famous stuff either on Greenhouse effect or the Tyndall effect in light.

• Options

Sandpit said:

FPT: Laptops. @RochdalePioneers

Always choose from the laptops that offer Windows Pro as an option, they’re generally the business range, a little more expensive but more stable in configuration for central management and with 3-year hardware warranty. I usually go for Dell XPS range, or Lenovo.

Left-field option is the Microsoft Surface tablet, which is surprisingly good at the higher specs, if you are mostly in office or home locations with proper screens and keyboards for the big spreadsheets. I use these for senior management, the battery really does last all day and it can also drive a 34” 4k screen.

Most laptops are not really upgradeable any more, so get at least 16GB RAM and i7 processor.

As mentioned earlier, definitely W10 over W11.

Hint: create two user accounts when you set it up yourself, before giving it to corporate IT, and make them both administrators but without names like ‘admin’. You will find these useful once you have a domain account that needs permission to install anything.

Out of curiosity what is the difference between a "business range" laptop preinstalled with Pro and a consumer range one preinstalled with Home when they are the same hardware?

I can find quite a few examples on both Dell and Acer stores where the business model is the same hardware - chassis, screen, processor, memory. Admittedly many more of the Dell business machines have the same matt Full HD screens that @Beibheirli_C loves and I hate... :)
    There was a very interesting study done years (decades!!) back where various factors were being looked at for human/computer interaction. An unexpected result was that matt, grey keyboards caused less headaches than glossy, black keyboards. Luckily the keyboards were detachable and so as part of the study they swapped them around. The headaches always followed the black shiny keyboards and it was eventually determined to be reflections from overhead lights making users squint when they looked down at the keys.

This is why all keyboards went matt grey in the early 80s and all screens had a matt layer to reduce reflections.

The contrast enhancement of the glossy screen is not worth the headaches it causes.
    I love this debate! I don;t have problems with a glossy screen, but have used too many business laptops with a godawful low brightness low resolution screen. OK if I was going to be staring a laptop screen all day it may be an issue, but thats what docking to a screen is for. And screens are all gloss!

The "business" spec thing is bemusing me. Yes of course some manufactures have a dedicated business only series - HP Probook as an example. But I can find several where the "business" one is the same model as the consumer one - series name, chassis, processor, memory etc etc. But the fastest processor options are consumer, with a slower one for business. Or buy the exact same machine but one is business...
    Processor names - especially the Intel iCore series can be very misleading. Also a "Slower" i7 can be faster than a "quicker" i5 because of hyperthreading and pipelining issues.

Unless you are high-end gaming or video editing do not worry too much about the processor. Any modern processor will provide more power than you need even allowing for the retarding effect of Windoze
    The business spec thing is about hardware build quality, not processor specs. Look at the discussion of Macbooks in this thread. On the Windows business laptop side you can say the same about Thinkpads. Mine is more than 10 years old.
    Appreciate the comments! I take your point about i5 vs i7 - a stack of memory is as important as Windows a memory monster these days.

Build quality I take seriously - need a metal chassis and hinges that aren't going to fall apart. I think some of my confusion on business vs premium consumer is that they're offering "ultrabook" type products to both. The days of business machines being hefty and the consumer ones flimsy plastic are largely gone.

I take the point about old Macbooks and Thinkpads! Though with both I'd be worried about software-enforced obsolescence - and having to carry a brick-sized Thinkbook around...
    "a stack of memory is as important as Windows a memory monster these days."

One of the things I *hate* about modern programs is the way many are so damned memory intensive. I know there is a heck of a lot of code reuse and modular gubbins, but from looking at GitHub and elsewhere, so many people seem to now know anything about memory-efficient programming. Though I mainly look at C/C++.

I know we're not in the days when 1MB is all we have (and yes, 32KB and lower), but it does feel as though people just want to throw memory at their programs. People are more interested in optimising for speed rather than memory, which is fine until your program is running with several others that have the same idea...
    It definitely annoys me when I find things like a huge library module being included to run a function about 6 lines long...
  • Options

It strikes me that Macron is seeking to use diplomacy to try to resolve what's going on in Russia/Ukraine without the need for bloodshed. Good luck to him - I prefer his approach to the sabre-rattling rhetoric favoured by others. Of course it may not work, but there's no harm in trying to avoid war/invasion. I also think he recognises the complexities of the issues involved, to which most only pay lip service. If some of Macron's behaviour is for domestic consumption, that's no different from our PM.

(I now fully expect to be inundated with abuse for being a French-loving Russia-sympathising communist or something. Which I'm not.)

A sensible concern is that the EU has been trying in recent days, to have a united front on the issue. With some success. If France dashes off in another direction....
  • Options

Didn't someone famous once observe "Jaw-jaw is better than war-war"?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,595

kjh said:

FPT

kjh said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Kudos to you for owning up to that. I confess if I was related to that JT (assuming it's who I think it is/was), I'd do everything I could to keep the connection quiet.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,098
    What a match.
  • Options
    Anent appeasing Putin etc, have any noises been made by our glorious government about BP and its relationship with Rosneft? I know the B doesn’t stand for British anymore but it’s still supposed to be a British company and BJ & Co aren’t usually backward about shooting their mouths off.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Correct.

The problem was the lampooning of the workers rather than the management struck the wrong note with the audience.

A great state of the nation on the Seventies flick though, alongside "O lucky Man".
  • Options
    Mitch McConnell breaks with RNC on Jan. 6: "We all were here. We saw what happened. It was a violent insurrection for the purpose of trying to prevent the peaceful transfer of power after a legitimately certified election, from one administration to the next. That's what it was."

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1491147442817241088?s=20&t=nuKJ0vqp4OVG4IEgkHtqVQ
  • Options

Mitch McConnell breaks with RNC on Jan. 6: "We all were here. We saw what happened. It was a violent insurrection for the purpose of trying to prevent the peaceful transfer of power after a legitimately certified election, from one administration to the next. That's what it was."

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1491147442817241088?s=20&t=nuKJ0vqp4OVG4IEgkHtqVQ

Why. Did. You. Vote. No. To. Impeachment. You. Turtle. Dick.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Correct.

The problem was the lampooning of the workers rather than the management struck the wrong note with the audience.

A great state of the nation on the Seventies flick though, alongside "O lucky Man".
    I love 60’s and 70’s uk films and tv. 🙂
  • Options

kjh said:

FPT

kjh said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Kudos to you for owning up to that. I confess if I was related to that JT (assuming it's who I think it is/was), I'd do everything I could to keep the connection quiet.
    I have spent my life - well since University - arguing and campaigning against everything he stood for. I work on the basis I have nothing to be ashamed of as I couldn't choose who my relatives were and it is easier to be open and honest about it.
This discussion has been closed.