Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

More than 2/3 of those polled blame PM for the harassing of Starmer – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,026

Ok might be a bit controversial here so bear with it but the whole saga is stupid

My thoughts:-
    If Johnson really thinks the population is that obsessed with Saville to the extent that dissing Starmer about it will have a big effect he is wrong- Most balanced people do not obsess about Saville.

That said i am not sure I agree that the PM and the leader of the opposition cannot have a go at each other and must always play gentlemen . So dont really understand the twitter rage it seems to have caused .

Whilst it is unpleasant and the crowd seemed to be made up of obsessive losers , I dont think Starmer got any worse treatment than say Peter Hitchens did when he walked home in Oxford and was followed by lefty protesters (and he had a lot less police protection) -Peter shrugged it off as part of the "job" .Starmer should.

The whole episode from start to finish is pathetic frankly

The people who followed Peter Hitchens menacingly weren't encouraged to do so by the prime minster though, were they?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,683

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

But rather like one of those hotel toasters, he keeps going round again and again.

All getting darker each time he does.

Johnson looks to be anything but toast to me.

His scorched earth gamble was looking like an error late last week, but after yesterday he can see that Starmer's name is now inextricably linked to Savile's, hence his and Philp's doubling down today.

Johnson is very confident he's comprehensively won this. He survives and the Starmer brand well and truly trashed.
    Just bear in mind, everyone, that MexicanPete is the person who thought Johnson's slur about Jimmy Savile was ...

"funny"

And MexicanPete then continued to repeat this for the following 48 hours.
    When did I say it was "funny"?

I said on Monday week it was an effective line by Johnson. I later though it was an error. Johnson is doubling down on this today by not apologising after events yesterday, because he can see that on every news report, every demand for an apology is met with Starmer and Savile in the same sentence. Chris Philp must have repeated Starmer and Savile in the same sentence a dozen times on R4 Today.

Whatever the cynicism of Johnson's initial statement he now understands this is working for him. If you can't see this is hurting Starmer more than Johnson you are deluded.
    Johnson Troll!!
    According to the Guardian I am reading this right.

The Guardian reporter sent to Starmer's constituency today to sound out the voters was surprised to learn that there was little support for Starmer "He didn't prosecute Savile".
    Have you actually read it? The opposite is true in the report. And is that all they sampled, five people? LOL.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Boris is a [moderated].

Who knew?

The only word that matters in that blank is loser....
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,592

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

But rather like one of those hotel toasters, he keeps going round again and again.

His scorched earth gamble was looking like an error late last week, but after yesterday he can see that Starmer's name is now inextricably linked to Savile's, hence his and Philp's doubling down today.

Johnson is very confident he's comprehensively won this. He survives and the Starmer brand well and truly trashed.
    Just bear in mind, everyone, that MexicanPete is the person who thought Johnson's slur about Jimmy Savile was ...

"funny"

I said on Monday week it was an effective line by Johnson. I later though it was an error Johnson is doubling down on this today by not apologising after events yesterday because he can see that on every news report, every demand for an apology is met with Starmer and Savile in the same sentence. Chris Philp must have repeated Starmer and Savile in the same sentence a dozen times on R4 Today.

Whatever the cynicism of Johnson's initial statement he now understands this is working for him. If you can't see this is hurting Starmer more than Johnson you are deluded.
    I think you're very wrong if you think this is harming Starmer more than Johnson. Quite the reverse. This has done Starmer a favour. Once the 'honest broker' resigned in disgust there could only be one winner. The public had no idea who did or said what until the resignation followed by days of hand wringing from the BBC.

After that it was a done deal. I'd go further and say it added to the notion that Starmer is a straight dealer and that Johnson isn't. It's always the case that publicity benefits the market leader and Johnson is always going to be the market leader in telling lies
    THIS suggests that - for surely the first ever time in PB history - you are completely wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/08/they-all-blame-each-other-little-sympathy-for-starmer-after-savile-slur?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Anecdata. Might be representative, might not be.
    I thought the headline wasn’t really supported by the evidence in the story.

My Dad pointed out one of the problems with fox popping to me years ago because something happened that wound him up. It was something slightly controversial about football club, a local media went out one weekday morning vox popping, and put together really negative headline and story based on what they found. But they didn’t actually talk to any fans who go to the games, just a load of old ladies doing shopping, “business owners” shop keepers, taxi driver etc, etc. My Dad said vox popping doesn’t always sample representatively enough because people, like the football fans in that particular instance, are in work.

So when papers do a story like the one linked, or Sky spend a day on a constituency, or BBC go to the place where next weeks election is held, you can see with your own eyes how flawed and waste of time it is, because they rarely get to the cross section of people in work, it’s so often laughably imbalanced.

Tell me I’m wrong. PBs good at doing that 🙂
    More than that, most surveys are deeply flawed in their sampling.

Trust reputable pollsters, ONS surveys* and other long-running surveys run by universities and (some) scientific papers. That's about it.

*these come with a very detailed account of the sampling, the strategy and how to correct for the limitations
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

I said on Monday week it was an effective line by Johnson. I later though it was an error Johnson is doubling down on this today by not apologising after events yesterday because he can see that on every news report, every demand for an apology is met with Starmer and Savile in the same sentence. Chris Philp must have repeated Starmer and Savile in the same sentence a dozen times on R4 Today.

I think you're very wrong if you think this is harming Starmer more than Johnson. Quite the reverse. This has done Starmer a favour. Once the 'honest broker' resigned in disgust there could only be one winner. The public had no idea who did or said what until the resignation followed by days of hand wringing from the BBC.

After that it was a done deal. I'd go further and say it added to the notion that Starmer is a straight dealer and that Johnson isn't. It's always the case that publicity benefits the market leader and Johnson is always going to be the market leader in telling lies
    THIS suggests that - for surely the first ever time in PB history - you are completely wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/08/they-all-blame-each-other-little-sympathy-for-starmer-after-savile-slur?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

My Dad pointed out one of the problems with fox popping to me years ago because something happened that wound him up. It was something slightly controversial about football club, a local media went out one weekday morning vox popping, and put together really negative headline and story based on what they found. But they didn’t actually talk to any fans who go to the games, just a load of old ladies doing shopping, “business owners” shop keepers, taxi driver etc, etc. My Dad said vox popping doesn’t always sample representatively enough because people, like the football fans in that particular instance, are in work.

So when papers do a story like the one linked, or Sky spend a day on a constituency, or BBC go to the place where next weeks election is held, you can see with your own eyes how flawed and waste of time it is, because they rarely get to the cross section of people in work, it’s so often laughably imbalanced.

Fox popping is just WRONG
    🤦‍♀️Ruddy auto correction!
  • Options
    FPT
    kjh said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

I like Liechtenstein's parliament building

I like that! Good contender. Modest yet handsome
    The Manx Tynwald is probably the most Covid-safe parliament in the world:

Do you realise how much you have just screwed up my search facility with that one careless post?!!!! :)

Now as long as this thread is active I will have to put an extra letter into the search when I go looking to see if I have had any replies to my comments.

Aaaaaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!
    I shall have to remember to mention Tyneside, Tynemouth etc as frequently as possible in my posts from now on :wink:
    The opportunities for messing Richard up are huge. The Tyndall effect, Tyndall National Institute, Tyndall Centre for Climate Change, Tyndall Funds, etc, etc. Google just goes on and on and on.
    At least some of those (Effect and Climate Change) are named after my Great great great great? Uncle John. I have a collection of his books.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,574

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

I was sure you'd find a way to brush it off.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,059
    pigeon said:

Top story on tonight's news: NHS waiting lists in England to keep on rising for at least another two years.

Question 1: how long is Javid going to be able to get away with this line?
    Question 2: which taxes are going to be hiked further as the next election comes into view and the Government gets more and more desperate to speed the process up?

That this disproportionately affects the core vote is something which has been little commented on.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Trust reputable pollsters, ONS surveys* and other long-running surveys run by universities and (some) scientific papers. That's about it.

*these come with a very detailed account of the sampling, the strategy and how to correct for the limitations
    Thanks. 👍🏻

I’ve got a big question on Libdem polling I couldn’t ask last few weeks when banned, I’ll ask it now.

are libdems only polling 9’s sometimes because their strengths are in certain regions hard for national polls to recognise? In May elections where Libdems had MPs in recent history, like new super council in South West, can they capture that Super Council even when polling 9’s or 10’s nationally?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

The thing about polls about opinion is that it does not measure the strength of opinion. If somebody asked me to give my opinion on say if the Queen should give Camilla the title of Queen Consort for instance I woudl in that instant of answering give it thought for the first time and probably say "no" - If 9 out of ten people like me do the same suddenly you get a headline that 90% of people oppose the Queen consort title when in reality nobody gives a toss either way
  • Options
    Sign of the times:

Nationalistic Yookay

vs

Pseudo-anti-nationalist Sveas rike

The main evening news started at 19:30. At exactly 19:39, the presenter happened to mention, totally in passing, that Sweden was leading the winter olympics medal table.

Try to imagine the opposite. If Clownland has been top of the table? Jingoism par excellence.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

I said on Monday week it was an effective line by Johnson. I later though it was an error. Johnson is doubling down on this today by not apologising after events yesterday, because he can see that on every news report, every demand for an apology is met with Starmer and Savile in the same sentence. Chris Philp must have repeated Starmer and Savile in the same sentence a dozen times on R4 Today.

Johnson Troll!!

The Guardian reporter sent to Starmer's constituency today to sound out the voters was surprised to learn that there was little support for Starmer "He didn't prosecute Savile".
    I am depressed how well this has worked. The narrative is that there was this huge cock up, the only question is where responsibility lies. The reality is the CPS in the 90s were looking at 3 allegations from the 70s, where none of the complainants were prepared to give evidence. The investigating QC suggested that if they all got together and formed a support group they might have changed their minds about that, but lots of trials collapse when witnesses change their mind back again. And bear in mind that given where Savile found his victims they might not have been the most convincing witnesses anyway. It was, as they say, a judgment call.

Read the account of the collapse of Fred West's trial for raping his own daughter, to dispel the notion that Savile was so obviously evil that just getting him to court would mean an automatic conviction.
  • Options

@dixiedean good luck tonight. The toon is buzzing.

Cheers. Vital game for us. Win and we put daylight. Lose, and we are slap bang in it.
    Shocking record against teams around us, mind.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    kyf_100 said:

Ok might be a bit controversial here so bear with it but the whole saga is stupid

If Johnson really thinks the population is that obsessed with Saville to the extent that dissing Starmer about it will have a big effect he is wrong- Most balanced people do not obsess about Saville.

That said i am not sure I agree that the PM and the leader of the opposition cannot have a go at each other and must always play gentlemen . So dont really understand the twitter rage it seems to have caused .

Whilst it is unpleasant and the crowd seemed to be made up of obsessive losers , I dont think Starmer got any worse treatment than say Peter Hitchens did when he walked home in Oxford and was followed by lefty protesters (and he had a lot less police protection) -Peter shrugged it off as part of the "job" .Starmer should.

The people who followed Peter Hitchens menacingly weren't encouraged to do so by the prime minster though, were they?
    The people who shouted at Starmer weren't encouraged to do so by the prime minister either.
  • Options

Sign of the times:

Nationalistic Yookay

vs

The main evening news started at 19:30. At exactly 19:39, the presenter happened to mention, totally in passing, that Sweden was leading the winter olympics medal table.

Try to imagine the opposite. If Clownland has been top of the table? Jingoism par excellence.

Given that the medals would have been won by the United Kingdom and that many would have been won by UK athletes originating in Scotland I assume you are including that fine country in your description of Clownland. Sad how bitter and twisted you have become in your advancing years.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530
    Possibly, or possibly they are genuinely being rested for the summer. Both are far better in English conditions. Give me an overcast day at Trent bridge or headingly (now they’re not racists anymore) and I’d want Broad and Anderson with the new ball. Never forget the Broads 8 for to beat the Aussies at Trent bridge. Just an awesome start to a test.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Disappointing that that point has to be made on here.
  • Options
    West Ham should be relegated three divisions.

Utter cretins.

Kurt Zouma starts tonight.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Yep. The correct disposal method uses a baseball bat and you have to wear your wife’s kimono.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

But there is no such thing as going Fox Popping. Not even cat kicking footballers could condone that. Admittedly, when a fox ate half of Paloma Faith I could have killed it with my bare hands.

I don’t understand your quip, but I know it’s a very risqué pun of some sort. No. Don’t tempt me into anything smutty again. To be unbanned I promised the admins I can tone down my usual dirty mind and cut out excessive sauciness (I am not sure I can, but I will try). So Even if it’s incredibly funny diversion, you love it, heads literally roll off laughing and I get a billion likes, I’m not posting sauce, I don’t want to get banned again, it was horrible. 😔

No more playing to the gallery’s or posting just for likes, strictly politics, strictly horse racing from PBs MoonRabbit now. Your welcome.

Here’s news on the 3.30 Newmarket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4HNahRoDz8

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,592

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Thanks. 👍🏻

I’ve got a big question on Libdem polling I couldn’t ask last few weeks when banned, I’ll ask it now.

are libdems only polling 9’s sometimes because their strengths are in certain regions hard for national polls to recognise? In May elections where Libdems had MPs in recent history, like new super council in South West, can they capture that Super Council even when polling 9’s or 10’s nationally?
    Don't know about the specifics, but yes - national polls will use a national sample with quotas (or corrections) for various characteristics. I don't know to what extent geography comes into that, but if it does at all it will be quite broad. So the LDs might be on 98% in a council and still only 98% nationally. If you think about normal poll size of a few thousand, there's a fair probability that any given council might not be sampled at all and a certainty that the sample size from any given council are will be too small to conclude anything (other than that another ban could be incoming if you quote subsample numbers :wink: )

So, you'd need a specific poll for that council area to have an idea. Or a sufficiently good model, such as YouGov's MRPs combined with detailed demographic data for the area. Even then, local issues not accounted for in the model could mess things up.
  • Options

Utter cretins.

His middle name is Happy.
    Yes, it is.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

Scotland 0/1, with two to come.
    Aha! So, now they’re “Scotland” are they? Fascinating. Wonder why that is.
    Because the Scottish curlers are automatically the "GB" representatives at the Olympics...
    GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

Linford Christie’s gold was automatically a victory for the European Union.

Political unions. Tremendous fun.
    Um, the EU (est. 1 November 1993) didn't exist when Linford Christie won his gold (1 August 1992), you muppet.
    Does EC it the same way you do?
    EEC what he wants to see.
    I think we missed our coal in life.
    I’m steeling myself for the next dreadful pun.
    Then you're in luck that you're competing with me and I never make dreadful puns.

Unless I am Commissioned to, of course.
    It’s a competition? I am obviously subsidiarity to you.
    No, we're a Community.
    The Dalbrick tribe - you have a punning clan
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    dixiedean said:

pigeon said:

Top story on tonight's news: NHS waiting lists in England to keep on rising for at least another two years.

Question 1: how long is Javid going to be able to get away with this line?
    Question 2: which taxes are going to be hiked further as the next election comes into view and the Government gets more and more desperate to speed the process up?

That this disproportionately affects the core vote is something which has been little commented on.
    True, which raises a third question: will the codgers lose patience with the Government over this, or will they cut it an infinite amount of slack and blame the virus instead?

I'm guessing the latter, so long as they aren't asked to pay a penny to put any of this right. Which they won't be, of course.
  • Options
    Even Agatha Christie couldn't write this. Rebekah Vardy's PR, who seems to have admitted leaking in messages, was told to hand her phone over to the court. But the phone "regrettably" fell into the North Sea after a boat she was on hit a wave shortly after the last hearing.

"(It was) most unfortunate, because it was only a short time after the court ordered that the phone should be specifically searched," the court heard. #wagathachristie

https://twitter.com/benjaminbutter/status/1491103897494061056

The strongest-ever argument for televising High Court trials would be just to see the expression on the judge's face when this was said

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1491106831334137856
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

Because the Scottish curlers are automatically the "GB" representatives at the Olympics...
    GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

Um, the EU (est. 1 November 1993) didn't exist when Linford Christie won his gold (1 August 1992), you muppet.
    Then you're in luck that you're competing with me and I never make dreadful puns.

By Convention I always win.
    That must be a real Treaty for you.
    Although sometimes I court disaster.
    You’re supreme in my eyes.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,260

Sandpit said:

Heathener said:

kyf_100 said:

The "business" spec thing is bemusing me. Yes of course some manufactures have a dedicated business only series - HP Probook as an example. But I can find several where the "business" one is the same model as the consumer one - series name, chassis, processor, memory etc etc. But the fastest processor options are consumer, with a slower one for business. Or buy the exact same machine but one is business...

Apple has a much fairer pricing policy of overcharging everyone equally.
    My 10 year old macbook air is still going strong. A bit long in the tooth now for photoshop, video editing etc, but will happily do a day's work in Word, Powerpoint and Google Docs.

The less said about the previous generation macbook pro with the crappy keyboard the better, but I've got a 2021 14 inch macbook pro for work and it's the fastest, most solidly built laptop I've ever used.
    I got a 2015 MacBook Pro from a former work place. Due to complex reasons, they gave them to us for nearly nothing. A deal, a steal, the sale of the f**king century.

A lot of startups and small companies are going Mac - it's quite interesting as to why.
    How interesting! My first MacBook lasted 11 years. It went all around the world with me and went through one or two spectacular repairs, which worked. Some of these far eastern backstreet repair people are wizards!

And I'm currently still running a 2005 iMac which is a simply gorgeous machine in every way. For me more aesthetically beautiful than the newer models: a design of sheer beauty. And it runs like a dream on Catalonia with a fancy drive system I had installed.

I recently downgraded my iPhone 12 to a 6s in my own version of an anti-capitalist protest and intense dislike of ioS 15. It's quite hard to go backwards with Apple, but I did it and I'm delighted.
    The older iMacs are interesting because you can replace the hard drive with something better. Well worth it.

Old Mac laptops go on forever - until you kill them. People laugh at the design decision to go for a forged aluminium mono-block chassis, machined out. But it survives.... a lot.

OSX is a pretty good flavour of UNIX
    I still have a 2012 MPB, with the disk, battery and memory all upgraded over the years. Still works great, if not as the daily any more.

They are up there with the Lexus LS400 and the cockroach, as things that will survive a nuclear apocalypse.
    Mac minis too (which are basically MacBooks in a tiny desktop case). I'm writing this on a 2014 mini, and next to it I have a bunch of stuff running on a 2010 mini which is still going fine.
    A friend of mine has a 1998-era prototype (*) Acorn computer running a web client that displays process uptimes. ;)

(*) I don't think it ever went into full production.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Utter cretins.

His middle name is Happy.
    Yes, it is.
    Always knew there was something wrong about somebody who played for both Chelsea and the Ev.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

kyf_100 said:

The people who shouted at Starmer weren't encouraged to do so by the prime minister either.
    Don't be stupid
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,429
    dixiedean said:

Cheers. Vital game for us. Win and we put daylight. Lose, and we are slap bang in it.
    I hope the toon win but Everton with a new manager, lots of confidence and the thrashing of a fellow premiership side at the weekend. I’d expect a solid win for Everton.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

These people had already planned to be there and planned their protest prior to Johnson’s rash statement
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited February 2022
    I hate myself for the fact I'm so obsessed with the Wagatha Christie case.

Some of the private messages relating to the case are missing, for a variety of unfortunate reasons. Vardy’s former agent said her mobile phone was accidentally dropped in the North Sea shortly after Rooney’s lawyers requested access to the device.

“Coincidentally, around the same time, all media files from Mrs Vardy’s WhatsApp conversation with Ms Watt also bizarrely disappeared (and from all backups), whilst apparently in the process of exporting it to her solicitors,” said Rooney’s lawyers.

Jamie Vardy, the Leicester City striker, also said that his “WhatsApp was hacked and all conversations were deleted and could not be restored”, while declining to allow Rooney’s lawyers to examine his phone. The laptop used by Vardy during the crucial period also “no longer functions”, while messages between Rebekah Vardy and Halls appear to have been deleted.

Rebekah Vardy’s own expert described the data recovery situation as “surprising” and “unusual”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/08/rebekah-vardy-said-she-would-love-to-leak-stories-about-coleen-rooney-to-media-instagram
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,514
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

I am depressed how well this has worked. The narrative is that there was this huge cock up, the only question is where responsibility lies. The reality is the CPS in the 90s were looking at 3 allegations from the 70s, where none of the complainants were prepared to give evidence. The investigating QC suggested that if they all got together and formed a support group they might have changed their minds about that, but lots of trials collapse when witnesses change their mind back again. And bear in mind that given where Savile found his victims they might not have been the most convincing witnesses anyway. It was, as they say, a judgment call.

Read the account of the collapse of Fred West's trial for raping his own daughter, to dispel the notion that Savile was so obviously evil that just getting him to court would mean an automatic conviction.
    Johnson's slur is cynical and outrageous. My point, which is being shot down by the likes of @Heathener who is calling me a Johnson shill, is that whether @Heathener likes it or not Johnson, presumably on the advice of Crosby, is convinced this is a winning strategy. That is why he is refusing to apologise and Chris Philps is pushing the narrative.

If Johnson survives, which seems highly likely, expect this strategy to be used over and over again.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,431
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

kyf_100 said:

The "business" spec thing is bemusing me. Yes of course some manufactures have a dedicated business only series - HP Probook as an example. But I can find several where the "business" one is the same model as the consumer one - series name, chassis, processor, memory etc etc. But the fastest processor options are consumer, with a slower one for business. Or buy the exact same machine but one is business...

My 10 year old macbook air is still going strong. A bit long in the tooth now for photoshop, video editing etc, but will happily do a day's work in Word, Powerpoint and Google Docs.

The less said about the previous generation macbook pro with the crappy keyboard the better, but I've got a 2021 14 inch macbook pro for work and it's the fastest, most solidly built laptop I've ever used.
    I got a 2015 MacBook Pro from a former work place. Due to complex reasons, they gave them to us for nearly nothing. A deal, a steal, the sale of the f**king century.

A lot of startups and small companies are going Mac - it's quite interesting as to why.
    How interesting! My first MacBook lasted 11 years. It went all around the world with me and went through one or two spectacular repairs, which worked. Some of these far eastern backstreet repair people are wizards!

And I'm currently still running a 2005 iMac which is a simply gorgeous machine in every way. For me more aesthetically beautiful than the newer models: a design of sheer beauty. And it runs like a dream on Catalonia with a fancy drive system I had installed.

I recently downgraded my iPhone 12 to a 6s in my own version of an anti-capitalist protest and intense dislike of ioS 15. It's quite hard to go backwards with Apple, but I did it and I'm delighted.
    What drive system was that? I've got a 2007 iMac I'd quite like to upgrade a bit further (the screen's gone but it works nicely hooked up to my main TV).
    Hi ydoethur,

I ought to get off my backside and cross over to the iMac in the other room and confirm the specs but for now, this is what I recall:

Apple iMac 2.7 GHz Quad Core, 1TB, 16GB RAM, Apple Keyboard and Mouse in mint condition.

Because of issues with over heating of old machines if you don't get the setup right, I didn't install a SSD to boot off but have that as a separate drive and replaced the original boot drive with a mid-2011 1TB Western Digital HDD . And bunged in some fancy Artic Cooling MX-4 thermal paste.

It runs like a dream. The fans aren't blasting away all the time, it runs cool, and smooth.
  • Options
    Taz said:

dixiedean said:

I hope the toon win but Everton with a new manager, lots of confidence and the thrashing of a fellow premiership side at the weekend. I’d expect a solid win for Everton.
    Calvert-Lewin on the bench and Townsend as right wingback? Hmm.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

Watching the EU try to claim a place in the medal table was hillarious - when only so many athletes from each country are allowed to enter any given event.

If they actually competed as the EU, they’d have a small fraction of the number of entrants and medals that the EU nations won separately.
    Yawn.

Same old bollocks every time.

Totally ignoring all the medals the EU misses out on in a plethora of team events.
    Assuming of course that such a team would gel as effectively.

Remember, you can take lots of talented individuals and put them together, but that doesn't make an effective team if they don't get on. Exhibit A - the England cricket team.

That's not to say it couldn't work, merely that it's not a given.
    Though most winter olympic team events don't seem to be in the ice hockey mold - more a collection of a lot of individuals all doing their events and adding their points up. So team spirit not really a big issue.

A moot point, anyway. Claiming some sort of moral superiority for the EU over the UK on the grounds that the EU is doing better at winter olympics than the UK is a rather fringe argument. I don't think even Brexit's most ardent cheerleaders claimed that Brexiting would make Britain better at winter olympics. Performance at winter olympics is highly correlated to snow cover in winter, and the UK is towards the bottom end of that league regardless of membership of the EU or otherwise. I mean, I'd be pleased to see Britain win a medal, but if we don't it's not going to make me hanker for EU membership so I can enjoy seeing Sweden, Latvia etc win medals. I don't really see how my pleasure or otherwise at seeing Sweden, Latvia etc win medals is in anyway influenced by our membership of the EU or otherwise. My emotional reaction to seeing a Swede win a medal at winter olympics (which is 'oh, that's nice for him) is EXACTLY the same as it was when that Swede and I shared membership of a trading bloc. It wouldn't really occur to me to deem countries who were not in the same trading bloc in me as baddies, or take pleasure when they lose.
    But if it makes Stuart happy, then I'm happy he's happy.

Interestingly, I remember a conversation about where different sports sit on the Reamin/Leave axis a couple of years back, on which it was suggested that 'winter olympics' is as Remainy as a sport can be.
    If you want me to construct a straw man out of that, I’d be happy to oblige.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

But there is no such thing as going Fox Popping. Not even cat kicking footballers could condone that. Admittedly, when a fox ate half of Paloma Faith I could have killed it with my bare hands.

I don’t understand your quip, but I know it’s a very risqué pun of some sort. No. Don’t tempt me into anything smutty again. To be unbanned I promised the admins I can tone down my usual dirty mind and cut out excessive sauciness (I am not sure I can, but I will try). So Even if it’s incredibly funny diversion, you love it, heads literally roll off laughing and I get a billion likes, I’m not posting sauce, I don’t want to get banned again, it was horrible. 😔
    A fox's tail is called a 'brush.'

I'm amazed you think I would ever post anything smutty.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,075

Some of the private messages relating to the case are missing, for a variety of unfortunate reasons. Vardy’s former agent said her mobile phone was accidentally dropped in the North Sea shortly after Rooney’s lawyers requested access to the device.

“Coincidentally, around the same time, all media files from Mrs Vardy’s WhatsApp conversation with Ms Watt also bizarrely disappeared (and from all backups), whilst apparently in the process of exporting it to her solicitors,” said Rooney’s lawyers.

Jamie Vardy, the Leicester City striker, also said that his “WhatsApp was hacked and all conversations were deleted and could not be restored”, while declining to allow Rooney’s lawyers to examine his phone. The laptop used by Vardy during the crucial period also “no longer functions”, while messages between Rebekah Vardy and Halls appear to have been deleted.

Rebekah Vardy’s own expert described the data recovery situation as “surprising” and “unusual”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/08/rebekah-vardy-said-she-would-love-to-leak-stories-about-coleen-rooney-to-media-instagram

Is this what happens, when two stupid people have unlimited money to try and prove a point against each other?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,678

Hmm, those coincidences could result in a suspended sentence.
  • Options
    Taz said:

That’s a run of pretty bad luck they’ve had with their IT.
    Nearly as bad as the time Boris Johnson deleted his Whatsapp.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

I hope I never lose my appeal. It justice more fun to tell amazing puns.
  • Options

Sign of the times:

Nationalistic Yookay

vs

Given that the medals would have been won by the United Kingdom and that many would have been won by UK athletes originating in Scotland I assume you are including that fine country in your description of Clownland. Sad how bitter and twisted you have become in your advancing years.
    So elderly I’ll soon be using those ski stick thingies for folk wha dinnae hae skis.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Thanks. 👍🏻

@MoonRabbit How the hell did you manage to get banned? I better watch my step.
  • Options
    Taz said:

That’s a run of pretty bad luck they’ve had with their IT.
    Bet the judge is thinking "FFS who gave me this case"
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,026
    Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

These people had already planned to be there and planned their protest prior to Johnson’s rash statement
    Those people had already planned to start a fire, but Boris Johnson handed them a zippo and a can of kerosene*

*metaphorically speaking.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited February 2022
    Sandpit said:

Is this what happens, when two stupid people have unlimited money to try and prove a point against each other?
    It's not so much as stupidity as ego.

I remember back in 2003 I started working on a case about two guys (Partner A & Partner B ) who set up a business and then fell out.

Argument was that all payments between 1999 and 2002 were not to mandate, so partner A they sued the bank, who then brought in partner B as they were the ones whose company was processing payments.

The total value of payments were over £2 million, when the forensics accountants were brought in it appeared every payment was legitimate (including £150,000 to Partner A).

Last time I heard, back in 2016 the claims and counterclaims were still flying, and both parties had spent probably more than £2 million on legal fees.

It was slightly complicated that the bank had lost the mandate...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes. See also regular ‘boundary disputes’ where warring people spend tens of thousands over a few square feet of garden.
  • Options
    ydoethur, when I say 'I' did this I really mean my fixer. He writes this:

'I did replace the hard drive in this one, but it had to be a specific one for a Mid 2011, it's a Western Digital one with the specific firmware to work on the mid 2011 iMacs. You can fit an additional SSD with the correct cable, or you can replace the HDD with an SSD using a different adapter cable.

Basically, the hard drive fan will be on full blast if the incorrect stuff is used. You can get software to control the fans though.'

You and others will doutbless know far more about these machines than me but all I do know is that my 2005 iMac runs like a dream.

God I hope I'm not jinxing it now!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    Sandpit said:

At least it is providing entertainment for the masses, so more social worth than most stupid rich people provide.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,260

Sandpit said:

It's not so much as stupidity as ego.

I remember back in 2003 I started working on a case about two guys (Partner A & Partner B ) who set up a business and then fell out.

Argument was that all payments between 1999 and 2002 were not to mandate, so partner A they sued the bank, who then brought in partner B as they were the ones whose company was processing payments.

The total value of payments were over £2 million, when the forensics accountants were brought in it appeared every payment was legitimate (including £150,000 to Partner A).

Last time I heard, back in 2016 the claims and counterclaims were still flying, and both parties had spent probably more than £2 million on legal fees.

It was slightly complicated that the bank had lost the mandate...
    The computer game Elite was written forty years ago by Ian Bell and David Braben, whilst they were studying at Cambridge Uni.

Years later they had an argument about who owned the rights to the game. So they rewrote most of it in C (instead of the original Assembler), and agreed on who wrote what part of the game.

I don't think it ever stopped all the arguments, though ...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

"Honey, have you met the neighbours? Mr. and Mrs. EMP?"
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,651
    edited February 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

Johnson's slur is cynical and outrageous. My point, which is being shot down by the likes of @Heathener who is calling me a Johnson shill, is that whether @Heathener likes it or not Johnson, presumably on the advice of Crosby, is convinced this is a winning strategy. That is why he is refusing to apologise and Chris Philps is pushing the narrative.

If Johnson survives, which seems highly likely, expect this strategy to be used over and over again.
    Let's imagine, just for the sake of argument, that you're right, that this is a concerted (and rather desperate) effort to link Starmer/Saville in the minds of the great British public, and that it may have some short-term success.

I'm left with the thought that it's pretty thin gruel, and that the Tories are struggling to find dirt on Starmer. It's from over 10 years ago. It's nothing to do with Starmer as a politician. It's not true. And it probably won't run and run until the next GE.

If this is the best dirt that the Tories have got on Starmer, I think he'll be fine.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

Let's imagine, just for the sake of argument, that you're right, that this is a concerted (and rather desperate) effort to link Starmer/Saville in the minds of the great British public, and that it may have some short-term success.

I'm left with the thought that it's pretty thin gruel, and that the Tories are struggling to find dirt on Starmer. It's from over 10 years ago. It's nothing to do with Starmer as a politician. It's not true. And it probably won't run and run until the next GE.

If this is the best dirt that the Tories have got on Starmer, I think he'll be fine.
    It's like when Goldsmith's campaign tried smearing Khan, people didn't buy it.
  • Options

Sign of the times:

Nationalistic Yookay

vs

The "Yookay" and "Clownland" is obviously his latest attempt at wit. Years ago there used to be a poster on here who used to always refer to David Cameron as David Camera-on. It is a similar level of desperate sadness. The even sadder thing is is that he and a few other Scots Nat posters on here seem determined to make us all think all Scots are like them. Sadly for them it won't work. In my experience only a few Scots are objectionable small minded little twats.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,651
    tlg86 said:

It must be a poor year for films if Don’t Look Up is nominated for Best Film at the oscars.

I agree. Despite some of the adulation, I thought it was hackneyed and predictable, full of rather simple clichés. In my case, it was a waste of New Year's Eve - and my other half thought the same.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

There really should be a bar on these types of puns, I often don't understand them QC?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

'I did replace the hard drive in this one, but it had to be a specific one for a Mid 2011, it's a Western Digital one with the specific firmware to work on the mid 2011 iMacs. You can fit an additional SSD with the correct cable, or you can replace the HDD with an SSD using a different adapter cable.

Basically, the hard drive fan will be on full blast if the incorrect stuff is used. You can get software to control the fans though.'

You and others will doutbless know far more about these machines than me but all I do know is that my 2005 iMac runs like a dream.

Thanks. Might be worth looking into it, although I don't think mine would take that much RAM.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

I think Starmer is fine. It just smacks of desperation and I really doubt it will stick. The only people who will buy it are those who believed it anyway.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It must be a poor year for films if Don’t Look Up is nominated for Best Film at the oscars.

I agree. Despite some of the adulation, I thought it was hackneyed and predictable, full of rather simple clichés. In my case, it was a waste of New Year's Eve - and my other half thought the same.
    We gave up on it after an hour. Watched an Xmas movie instead.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,182
    Hopefully they'll still play in home test matches this year.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

There really should be a bar on these types of puns, I often don't understand them QC?
    That shouldn't be a complete Bar to their success.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

It's like when Goldsmith's campaign tried smearing Khan, people didn't buy it.
    Johnson is a lot less stupid than Goldsmith, though. Have you watched the I love Bollywood clip?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

I will have to solicit your learned opinion on my next attempt
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,015
    edited February 2022

tlg86 said:

I stuck it out, but never a Best Picture. I got fed up with The Power of the Dog too, but might have another go. Belfast is pure Oscar bait. They love that sort of thing, nostalgic monochrome set in Ireland...
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

Johnson's slur is cynical and outrageous. My point, which is being shot down by the likes of @Heathener who is calling me a Johnson shill, is that whether @Heathener likes it or not Johnson, presumably on the advice of Crosby, is convinced this is a winning strategy.
    No my gripe is that for the first 48 hours you thought it was 'brilliant and funny.' You said you sat in a car park and laughed your head off.

Most of us were appalled. But if you now agree that it was cynical and outrageous I have no cause for argument. The rest of what you write is, sadly, probably true. They do think it may work.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hopefully they'll still play in home test matches this year.
    One thing that baffles me about that squad - who's batting at number 3? Root's more comfortable at 4. Pope isn't a top order player, certainly not yet. Dan Lawrence will be a good number five if properly managed, but he doesn't bat three for Essex. Bairstow, do me a favour.

It is not a sensible squad. The batting if anything looks weaker than it was against the Aussies. About the only intelligent thing they've done is bring back Ben Foakes, which is long overdue.

The only person who will be truly happy is Kemar Roach.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Thanks. Might be worth looking into it, although I don't think mine would take that much RAM.
    Try it. Ewe might be surprised.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

I will have to solicit your learned opinion on my next attempt
    You are welcome to benefit from my counsel.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Try it. Ewe might be surprised.
    I don't think it goes at a good enough clip.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I agree. I think there's been a noticeable downturn in quality of film and tv during covid. It's really easy to see some sloppy post-production at work but also massive shortcuts in filming. I guess that's understandable.

Take The Serpent as an early case in point. Gripping and awful but if you look carefully through you can see that they had to abandon filming on location and return to studios. There are far worse examples that followed. Some noticeable restrictions of location filming which meant masses of indoor scenes and limited screenplay: e.g. All Creatures Great and Small

And so much self indulgence. I thought No Time to Die was dreary pompous self-important rubbish.

One delightful surprise has been the Spider Man reboots. Rather fun. Admittedly I started watching them with zero expectation so I guess that's why.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,288
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

I stuck it out, but never a Best Picture. I got fed up with The Power of the Dog too, but might have another go. Belfast is pure Oscar bait. They love that sort of thing, nostalgic monochrome set in Ireland...
    I quite liked Dune. Is that up?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Did you?

I thought that was one of the most tedious films I've ever watched and the worst Zimmer score ever.

Maybe it's me that needs a lift.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Got 10 nominations, including Best Picture. Villeneuve snubbed for Best Director, though.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Those people had already planned to start a fire, but Boris Johnson handed them a zippo and a can of kerosene*

*metaphorically speaking.
    Nah, I think this is about right.

It’s all politics. This was always happening. It’s quite sad. They should glue themselves to the motorway and be done with it.

M https://thecritic.co.uk/outside-the-westminster-bubble/
  • Options
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Did you?

I thought that was one of the most tedious films I've ever watched and the worst Zimmer score ever.

Was it better or worse than the legendarily bad David Lynch/Kyle Maclachlan version?

If it was worse it must be worth watching for the epic level of badness on display.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Belfast is pretty good. I wouldn’t have thought it Oscar bait but clearly it must be. We saw it a couple of weekends ago.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Orange drumph man bad is vote winner at the Academy. Shock.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Did you?

Was it better or worse than the legendarily bad David Lynch/Kyle Maclachlan version?

If it was worse it must be worth watching for the epic level of badness on display.
    In my opinion worse but I liked the book.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Did you?

Crikey. As a person who has read the novel at least thirty times (nerd), I thought the Villeneuve version was as close to capturing the vision of the book as I can imagine. And tedious it was not - though I didn't love the score and in general not a huge fan of Hans 'Honkmeister' Zimmer.

The Lynch one is obviously flawed (and chopped to shreds by the Di Laurentiises) but still immensely interesting.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

Once a politician has really blown it, it doesn't really matter what they say or do- the public just aren't interested. See Major from autumn '92 the onwards, or Brown after he bottled the 2008 election that wasn't. Or May after 2017. Once you're dead, you're dead.

Johnson in his pomp might have got away with this. Now Johnson is on the skids, he can only make things worse.
    I've heard Tony Blair say as much, and he should know.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Thanks. 👍🏻

She was rude about Radiohead.

You better watch your step.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Did you?

I liked it a lot, but I'm a fan of the book (and the board game) so was biased - it actually makes the plot easier to follow than the book. I agree it's a bit long, but it's such a complex theme that it's hard to pack it all in - might have been better as a TV series.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916

Sign of the times:

Nationalistic Yookay

vs

The "Yookay" and "Clownland" is obviously his latest attempt at wit. Years ago there used to be a poster on here who used to always refer to David Cameron as David Camera-on. It is a similar level of desperate sadness. The even sadder thing is is that he and a few other Scots Nat posters on here seem determined to make us all think all Scots are like them. Sadly for them it won't work. In my experience only a few Scots are objectionable small minded little twats.
    Similar to some other posters here who repeatedly referred to the LoTO as *Keith* Starmer.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,839
    (Re prior header: I sort of want that bet to work for you Mike too. It's pretty rare that such a bet comes in, but I remember (I think) your posts after you made it. A really astute long-odds bet. I don't think I've had one of those!)

Boris needs to go. He just does.

It'll be very unfortunate indeed if anything about his stupid schoolboy accusation against Starmer sticks. (I'm sure, for once, that he didn't mean such a thing though)

No matter if Tory MPs think he might be able to get back on track. There really are more important things than electoral success.

So Boris needs to stand down. He could quite easily do so, and quite easily restore a good amount of reputation in doing so. "Pressure of events, inadvertantly made several wrong decisions, etc..." basically just saying what we know is true. No matter the criticisms he has had entirely extraordinary pressures upon him as PM.

I hope he will stand down, but I don't expect him to. The cabinet need to collectively push him to do so.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

Once a politician has really blown it, it doesn't really matter what they say or do- the public just aren't interested. See Major from autumn '92 the onwards, or Brown after he bottled the 2008 election that wasn't. Or May after 2017. Once you're dead, you're dead.

Johnson in his pomp might have got away with this. Now Johnson is on the skids, he can only make things worse.
    Trouble is, the clown is absolutely convinced he is somehow immune from these ‘rules’ that apply to others. It’ll be down to his MPs to see the cliff edge they are heading directly towards.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,965
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Did you?

Worst Zimmer score ever? That must be apocalyptically bad.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Did you?

So... it was guilty (as so many film adaptations Sci Fi are) of having to spend a long time describing the world in which the characters inhabit. The first half in particular was long on exposition... short on... well... anything.

But when it got to the planet of Dune itself, it really picked up. In fact, it had just gotten moving when it abruptly came to an end.

Which left me (and my daughter) hungry for the second act.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,033

Peter Thiel to Exit Meta’s Board to Support Trump-Aligned Candidates

The tech billionaire, who has been on the board of the company formerly known as Facebook since 2005, is backing numerous politicians in the midterm elections.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/07/technology/peter-thiel-facebook.html

(Thiel has given $10m to JD Vance for a run for Senate in Ohio. A name imho to watch PB betting guys)

I recommend Vance as a name to watch… in order to lay! Completely over-hyped.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Peter Thiel to Exit Meta’s Board to Support Trump-Aligned Candidates

The tech billionaire, who has been on the board of the company formerly known as Facebook since 2005, is backing numerous politicians in the midterm elections.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/07/technology/peter-thiel-facebook.html

(Thiel has given $10m to JD Vance for a run for Senate in Ohio. A name imho to watch PB betting guys)

It’s going to be very interesting to see what happens in the US, when some of these multi-billionaires start getting involved in politics.
    They already are, especially on the GOP side. Thiel and Sheldon Adelson were Trump-backers, and the Koch brothers (one recently died) have been bankrolling supposedly independent Republican think tanks for decades.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

Trouble is, the clown is absolutely convinced he is somehow immune from these ‘rules’ that apply to others. It’ll be down to his MPs to see the cliff edge they are heading directly towards.
    I think they see it, Ian, but are not sure who should lead them back to safety.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

Worse than that. Whilst BoJo remains in office, and still has the power to say "off with their heads", it's in their interest not to see the obvious.

And if there is an animal magnetism about Boris in the room, that may still be there. They may not realise how much the public mood has changed.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926
    edited February 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Johnson Troll!!

Johnson's problem is that after recent events most voters now view him as an habitual liar. So when he tries to smear Starmer it doesn't surprise me that over two-thirds of voters simply side with Starmer.

It's a similar point to the one May's polling guy, James Johnson, was making. People have now largely made up their minds about Johnson. If he stays in office he is in for a rough time if the default option of the electorate is that the majority simply don't believe what he says.

What amazes me is that lying and failure to bother with details were seen as his main flaws before he became PM, yet he just carried on doing exactly the same thing and played right into the hands of his enemies. It reminds me of those who believed Trump would become "presidential" once elected.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Did you?

So... it was guilty (as so many film adaptations Sci Fi are) of having to spend a long time describing the world in which the characters inhabit. The first half in particular was long on exposition... short on... well... anything.

But when it got to the planet of Dune itself, it really picked up. In fact, it had just gotten moving when it abruptly came to an end.

Which left me (and my daughter) hungry for the second act.
    Really hope they don't take ages to make it. I saw it in a giant screen with 4k digital projection, it is one of the best visual presentations I've ever seen in the cinema. Worth finding the big screen for.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

Thanks. 👍🏻

She was rude about Radiohead.

You better watch your step.
    Who are Radiohead?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Solid hardware; easy-to-use software. Not cheap but it works. There were keyboard issues for some years.
This discussion has been closed.