Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

More than 2/3 of those polled blame PM for the harassing of Starmer – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited February 2022 in General
More than 2/3 of those polled blame PM for the harassing of Starmer – politicalbetting.com

?NEW SNAP POLL??69% say PM responsible for LOTO being harassed?54% 2019 Con also say this ?68% say he should publicly apologise to Starmer?68% say he should withdraw comments?64% say politics has gotten nastier in last 5 yrs1,094 UK adults, 8 Feb 2022

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    first
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    The Boris band lineup changes - but here's why the PM wins at failing-up. https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/boris-johnson-downing-street-staff-guto-harri-andrew-griffith-b981331.html
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    edited February 2022
    Third rate like Johnson
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,468
    Those who think politics has got nastier in the last five years obviously don't remember Brexit.

It's bad, but here we're mostly looking at Johnson being a dickhead, remove him (and his hangers on) and we potentially remove much of the problem. The 'enemies of the people' type stuff we saw after the Brexit vote was worse, I think.

So, I'd say the last five years are much of a muchness, but worse than - say - ten years ago.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    More blether from Sir g Cox in response to my email, await final Gray report yada yada.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    IanB2 said:

Third rate like Johnson

You clearly have a much higher opinion of him than I do.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Oh...

https://order-order.com/2022/02/08/poll-reported-by-sunday-times-showing-rishi-winning-in-red-wall-seats-actually-had-boris-well-ahead/

POLL REPORTED BY SUNDAY TIMES SHOWING RISHI WINNING IN RED WALL SEATS ACTUALLY HAD BORIS WELL AHEAD

Given the Sunday Times article reported the poll as showing Rishi Sunak supposedly had the best chance of reaching voters in the Red Wall seats that flipped to the Tories in 2019, it is striking that the actual data shows Rishi well behind in the Red Wall seats and nationally as the first choice for voters.
  • Options
    Peter Thiel to Exit Meta’s Board to Support Trump-Aligned Candidates

The tech billionaire, who has been on the board of the company formerly known as Facebook since 2005, is backing numerous politicians in the midterm elections.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/07/technology/peter-thiel-facebook.html

(Thiel has given $10m to JD Vance for a run for Senate in Ohio. A name imho to watch PB betting guys)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Boris is toast.

But rather like one of those hotel toasters, he keeps going round again and again.

All getting darker each time he does.

Someone would have to keep lifting him up to be toasted again, otherwise the machine would just spit him out.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

The tech billionaire, who has been on the board of the company formerly known as Facebook since 2005, is backing numerous politicians in the midterm elections.

(Thiel has given $10m to JD Vance for a run for Senate in Ohio. A name imho to watch PB betting guys)

It’s going to be very interesting to see what happens in the US, when some of these multi-billionaires start getting involved in politics.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Scott_xP 4:21PM
    eek 4:19PM

So close Team PB!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Oh...

https://order-order.com/2022/02/08/poll-reported-by-sunday-times-showing-rishi-winning-in-red-wall-seats-actually-had-boris-well-ahead/

POLL REPORTED BY SUNDAY TIMES SHOWING RISHI WINNING IN RED WALL SEATS ACTUALLY HAD BORIS WELL AHEAD

Given the Sunday Times article reported the poll as showing Rishi Sunak supposedly had the best chance of reaching voters in the Red Wall seats that flipped to the Tories in 2019, it is striking that the actual data shows Rishi well behind in the Red Wall seats and nationally as the first choice for voters.

Ooh, dodgy polling or dodgy reporting?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Boris is toast.

But rather like one of those hotel toasters, he keeps going round again and again.

Someone would have to keep lifting him up to be toasted again, otherwise the machine would just spit him out.
    That's those not putting in letters that is.....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,294
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Oh...

I thought this was already discussed yesterday
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    UK R

• Options

I think that is spot-on, by the guy who used to run polling for No 10 under Theresa May.

In other words, the respondents to the poll questions aren't really answering them as such, they are answering a different question: are you fed up with Boris?

Tory MPs are not yet fed up with him.

They are the only voters he cares about now
  • Options
    Another 1922 letter confirmation.

"The PM has refused to apologise. He said, quite rightly, that the scenes were unacceptable. But I think we have to play back the language used in the House last Monday, when the PM came to apologise, and used a vile slur against Starmer. " ~AA https://twitter.com/DominicPenna/status/1491079629154963457
  • Options
    Case summary

• Options
    Hospitals

• Options
    Deaths

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,468

Offtopic, but I can't help thinking that - had Facebook really wanted to be 'meta' - they'd instead have renamed as The Company Formerly Known as Facebook
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

"The PM has refused to apologise. He said, quite rightly, that the scenes were unacceptable. But I think we have to play back the language used in the House last Monday, when the PM came to apologise, and used a vile slur against Starmer. " ~AA https://twitter.com/DominicPenna/status/1491079629154963457

Already a "yes" on the spreadsheet.

• Options

FPT, this comment refers to the poll of the thread header:

James Johnson @jamesjohnson252

We are now in a world where the public will automatically side against the government on most things, even if they’re not that aware of the issue. This is what happens when a leader is viewed overwhelmingly negatively and their brand with the public is spent.

I think that is spot-on, by the guy who used to run polling for No 10 under Theresa May.

In other words, the respondents to the poll questions aren't really answering them as such, they are answering a different question: are you fed up with Boris?

At the extreme end, the likes of the remaining anti-lockdown/anti-vaxx protesters seem to be fed up with things that other governments are doing.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Yes, for now that's the only thing that matters. But I'm sure that they are fed up with him; they just don't know whether it's better to put up with it, or risk taking action.
  • Options
    COVID summary

- Cases down. R below 1
    - Admissions down, R below 1
    - MV beds down
    - In Hospital down
    - Deaths down - looks like we have quite bit of fill in coming, though so don't take the overall day of chart as showing a collapse.

• Options
    FPT: Laptops. @RochdalePioneers

Always choose from the laptops that offer Windows Pro as an option, they’re generally the business range, a little more expensive but more stable in configuration for central management and with 3-year hardware warranty. I usually go for Dell XPS range, or Lenovo.

Left-field option is the Microsoft Surface tablet, which is surprisingly good at the higher specs, if you are mostly in office or home locations with proper screens and keyboards for the big spreadsheets. I use these for senior management, the battery really does last all day and it can also drive a 34” 4k screen.

Most laptops are not really upgradeable any more, so get at least 16GB RAM and i7 processor.

As mentioned earlier, definitely W10 over W11.

Hint: create two user accounts when you set it up yourself, before giving it to corporate IT, and make them both administrators but without names like ‘admin’. You will find these useful once you have a domain account that needs permission to install anything.
  • Options

Boris is toast.

Until my children try to heat up a Croissant and sets the whole machine alight (serves us right for thinking at 10 they could go up without supervision for 30 seconds)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Always choose from the laptops that offer Windows Pro as an option, they’re generally the business range, a little more expensive but more stable in configuration for central management and with 3-year hardware warranty. I usually go for Dell XPS range, or Lenovo.

Left-field option is the Microsoft Surface tablet, which is surprisingly good at the higher specs, if you are mostly in office or home locations with proper screens and keyboards for the big spreadsheets. I use these for senior management, the battery really does last all day and it can also drive a 34” 4k screen.

Most laptops are not really upgradeable any more, so get at least 16GB RAM and i7 processor.

Hint: create two user accounts when you set it up yourself, before giving it to corporate IT, and make them both administrators but without names like ‘admin’. You will find these useful once you have a domain account that needs permission to install anything.

Out of curiosity what is the difference between a "business range" laptop preinstalled with Pro and a consumer range one preinstalled with Home when they are the same hardware?

I can find quite a few examples on both Dell and Acer stores where the business model is the same hardware - chassis, screen, processor, memory. Admittedly many more of the Dell business machines have the same matt Full HD screens that @Beibheirli_C loves and I hate... :)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

Scott_xP said:

Yes, for now that's the only thing that matters. But I'm sure that they are fed up with him; they just don't know whether it's better to put up with it, or risk taking action.
    I rather suspect it is a matter of waiting until they feel they have the best chance, given that the plot to change the rules came to nothing.
  • Options

COVID summary

- Cases down. R below 1
    - Admissions down, R below 1
    - MV beds down
    - In Hospital down
    - Deaths down - looks like we have quite bit of fill in coming, though so don't take the overall day of chart as showing a collapse.

Nice, I had spread bet between 1 - 2 in my head.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    How prompted was the question in the poll? Never forget 'how to get the answer you want' from Yes Minister.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Oh...

I thought this was already discussed yesterday
    That the Sunday Times were spreading fake news? No.
  • Options
    I note that wee jobby Galloway saying that the abuse yesterday was Starmer’s fault.

There are clearly no depths the bawbag won’t sink to. Despicable man.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Sandpit said:

Out of curiosity what is the difference between a "business range" laptop preinstalled with Pro and a consumer range one preinstalled with Home when they are the same hardware?

I can find quite a few examples on both Dell and Acer stores where the business model is the same hardware - chassis, screen, processor, memory. Admittedly many more of the Dell business machines have the same matt Full HD screens that @Beibheirli_C loves and I hate... :)
    Traditionally, the business range use the same chipsets for a couple of years, whereas the home ranges are all mongrels of whatever was available in the factory, of which there might only ever be a few hundred examples and the most minor of failures results in a write-off. The business range will have 3y warranty and probably 3y more of paid support if required. The home ranges don’t get tested much for stuff like driver compatibility, so are more unreliable in service.

The hardware specs can look deceptively similar, but the actual hardware can be quite different in quality and availability. The home range will have a 1y warranty, the business range 3y.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    No post from @NerysHughes yet telling us what Boris did was ok because Labour are as bad and the nutters hassled Gove as well.

Must be having his tea.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2022
    As Rob Ford and others have noted, the official government projections for the NHS waiting lists show these continuing to get worse until sometime around March 2024. Add in the cost of living crisis, increases in taxes, the continuing damage from Brexit, and the inevitable disillusionment with 'levelling up' etc, and it's not a great backdrop for a government seeking re-election around that time, with or without Boris. Lab Maj value at around 4.5 to 5.0?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Boris is toast.

Johnson looks to be anything but toast to me.

His scorched earth gamble was looking like an error late last week, but after yesterday he can see that Starmer's name is now inextricably linked to Savile's, hence his and Philp's doubling down today.

Johnson is very confident he's comprehensively won this. He survives and the Starmer brand well and truly trashed.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Boris is toast.

His scorched earth gamble was looking like an error late last week, but after yesterday he can see that Starmer's name is now inextricably linked to Savile's, hence his and Philp's doubling down today.

Johnson is very confident he's comprehensively won this. He survives and the Starmer brand well and truly trashed.
    Just bear in mind, everyone, that MexicanPete is the person who thought Johnson's slur about Jimmy Savile was ...

"funny"

And MexicanPete then continued to repeat this for the following 48 hours.
  • Options

I note that wee jobby Galloway saying that the abuse yesterday was Starmer’s fault.

There are clearly no depths the bawbag won’t sink to. Despicable man.

I like him - pro-brexit and anti-nationalism; a sound ideology.

I used to watch his Sunday youtube programme when I had a youtube button on my remote. His RT show is a bit of a bore.

And if he winds You up that's even more reason to like him.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Here’s a good PB quiz, as I sip my gin under the tropical moon

Here are some kiwis protesting vax outside the NZ Parliament. From the groaniad

Look at he state of that building. Is this the ugliest Parliament building in the world, or is that still Holyrood? Can anyone think of a worse example?

And what is the best?

That looks much better than Holyrood
    Holyrood is a disaster. Nice on the inside, hideous on the outside. Should be flattened the minute the structure has served it’s useful life. About 40 years is fair service?

Under no circumstances should money be wasted on renovation.

Dewar was a sneeky wee bastard.
    I see from some online lists of “the ten ugliest buildings in the world” that Holyrood AND the Kiwi Parliament both make the list, so this is clearly a keenly fought contest

The tragedy is that Holyrood is in EDINBURGH, one of the loveliest cities on the globe. It would be fine, if still weird and hideous, in Swindon or Stockport. It’s like putting the old Birmingham Bull Ring in Venice
    Not often I agree with you “Leon” (cough, cough), but spot on.

I’ll just point out that Dewar was a Weegie, and leave it at that.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Already a "yes" on the spreadsheet.

I thought she had already sent it in
  • Options

Boris is toast.

the Starmer brand well and truly trashed.
    You evidently live in an alternate universe to most of the rest of the world.

Not Donald Trump or Boris Johnson, obvs.
  • Options
    2/3rds of people have been gaslighted by the media to believe that Starmer incident was instgated by Johnson

This shows what actually went down...
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/08/truth-keir-starmer-video-fifth-slurs-jimmy-savile-called-traitor/
  • Options

Boris is toast.

Polling says otherwise, as usual the clown has misread the situation
  • Options

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Look at he state of that building. Is this the ugliest Parliament building in the world, or is that still Holyrood? Can anyone think of a worse example?

And what is the best?

Holyrood is a disaster. Nice on the inside, hideous on the outside. Should be flattened the minute the structure has served it’s useful life. About 40 years is fair service?

I see from some online lists of “the ten ugliest buildings in the world” that Holyrood AND the Kiwi Parliament both make the list, so this is clearly a keenly fought contest

The tragedy is that Holyrood is in EDINBURGH, one of the loveliest cities on the globe. It would be fine, if still weird and hideous, in Swindon or Stockport. It’s like putting the old Birmingham Bull Ring in Venice

Michael Portillo was praising the Holyrood architecture on BBC just last week.
  • Options
    Nestacres said:

2/3rds of people have been gaslighted by the media to believe that Starmer incident was instgated by Johnson

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/08/truth-keir-starmer-video-fifth-slurs-jimmy-savile-called-traitor/

You don't know what gaslight means, or instigate.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    mickydroy said:

Boris is toast.

I think people in this country are a lot less stupid than Mexicanpete seems to think they are.

He thought this was funny from the off and, like Boris Johnson, has shown no appetite to admit he was wrong.

The sign of a great man or woman is knowing when to admit you got something wrong and to say sorry accordingly.

Pete, great you are not.
  • Options

As Rob Ford and others have noted, the official government projections for the NHS waiting lists show these continuing to get worse until sometime around March 2024. Add in the cost of living crisis, increases in taxes, the continuing damage from Brexit, and the inevitable disillusionment with 'levelling up' etc, and it's not a great backdrop for a government seeking re-election around that time, with or without Boris. Lab Maj value at around 4.5 to 5.0?

We know the PM will ruthlessly do anything to survive. Given the background series of events you rightly highlight, I am not sure if continued needless battles with the EU will be enough, I fear there will have to be a further scapegoat found to maintain the populism through the tough times ahead.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,690
    IshmaelZ said:

Nestacres said:

Gaslight is one of the words of the year. Getting way over-used to the extent it loses its proper meaning. Like dead cat.
  • Options
    On topic, I’d love to see how much information was given before those questions. How many people know that Starmer was actually in charge of the public prosecutions service, when the decision was made not to charge Savile with any crime?

Whether or not he made the decision personally, he was in charge of the department - and later apologised for its failings in the Savile case.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited February 2022

Sandpit said:

There was a very interesting study done years (decades!!) back where various factors were being looked at for human/computer interaction. An unexpected result was that matt, grey keyboards caused less headaches than glossy, black keyboards. Luckily the keyboards were detachable and so as part of the study they swapped them around. The headaches always followed the black shiny keyboards and it was eventually determined to be reflections from overhead lights making users squint when they looked down at the keys.

This is why all keyboards went matt grey in the early 80s and all screens had a matt layer to reduce reflections.

The contrast enhancement of the glossy screen is not worth the headaches it causes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

And what is the best?

Opposite the magnificent Palace of Holyroodhouse too
    I’m going through some kind of torturous twilight zone. Just agreed with “Leon” (cough, cough) and now FUDHY!

Holyroodhouse is a proper palace, not like that junk the clueless Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha clan bought off a tasteless toff in Cockneytoun.

One of the biggest scandals in the history of the Hanoverian monarchy is how their priceless Scottish estate was maliciously vandalised and neglected. Prime case: Falkland Palace.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

Just bear in mind, everyone, that MexicanPete is the person who thought Johnson's slur about Jimmy Savile was ...

"funny"

When did I say it was "funny"?

I said on Monday week it was an effective line by Johnson. I later though it was an error. Johnson is doubling down on this today by not apologising after events yesterday, because he can see that on every news report, every demand for an apology is met with Starmer and Savile in the same sentence. Chris Philp must have repeated Starmer and Savile in the same sentence a dozen times on R4 Today.

Whatever the cynicism of Johnson's initial statement he now understands this is working for him. If you can't see this is hurting Starmer more than Johnson you are deluded.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

mickydroy said:

Boris is toast.

I think people in this country are a lot less stupid than Mexicanpete seems to think they are.

He thought this was funny from the off and, like Boris Johnson, has shown no appetite to admit he was wrong.

The sign of a great man or woman is knowing when to admit you got something wrong and to say sorry accordingly.

Pete, great you are not.
    Johnson doesn't know the meaning of humility
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    TimS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nestacres said:

Gaslight
    I find myself in the delightful position of not knowing what it means, never trying to find out what it means, and never intending to.

I'm not interested in silly affectations of vocabulary. I guarantee that whatever the hell it does mean there will be a thousand better ways of saying it already in existence.

Do I sound grumpy?! It's been one of those days. Every single bloody thing I've dealt with. And don't get me started on Hermes who are so godamawful it beggars belief.

:smile:
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

I said on Monday week it was an effective line by Johnson. I later though it was an error Johnson is doubling down on this today by not apologising after events yesterday because he can see that on every news report, every demand for an apology is met with Starmer and Savile in the same sentence. Chris Philp must have repeated Starmer and Savile in the same sentence a dozen times on R4 Today.

Whatever the cynicism of Johnson's initial statement he now understands this is working for him. If you can't see this is hurting Starmer more than Johnson you are deluded.
    I think 68% of voters have a very clear idea of who it is damaging.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779

Scott_xP said:

Maybe they think Johnson should be the one to take the blame for expected poor results at the May elections.
  • Options
    Nestacres said:

Are you claiming that Johnson did not throw the Savile accusation at SKS? In spite of it being broadcast on the news?
  • Options
    TimS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nestacres said:

Gaslight is one of the words of the year. Getting way over-used to the extent it loses its proper meaning. Like dead cat.
    Dead cat is a bit different; that wasn't meaning drift, it was two quite distinct etymologies- dead cat bounce at the bottom of a market, and then dead cat thrown on table to change the conversation.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

There was a very interesting study done years (decades!!) back where various factors were being looked at for human/computer interaction. An unexpected result was that matt, grey keyboards caused less headaches than glossy, black keyboards. Luckily the keyboards were detachable and so as part of the study they swapped them around. The headaches always followed the black shiny keyboards and it was eventually determined to be reflections from overhead lights making users squint when they looked down at the keys.

This is why all keyboards went matt grey in the early 80s and all screens had a matt layer to reduce reflections.

The contrast enhancement of the glossy screen is not worth the headaches it causes.
    Developer friend of mine has an IBM Model M keyboard, which is awesome so long as you’re not in the same room as him while he’s coding!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    It's been a while, but we've had a Shed-load of cases today...

https://live.staticflickr.com/1721/42421724572_22f00f41b8_b.jpg

• Options
    Heathener said:

TimS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nestacres said:

Gaslight
    I find myself in the delightful position of not knowing what it means, never trying to find out what it means, and never intending to.

I'm not interested in silly affectations of vocabulary. I guarantee that whatever the hell it does mean there will be a thousand better ways of saying it already in existence.

Do I sound grumpy?! It's been one of those days. Every single bloody thing I've dealt with. And don't get me started on Hermes who are so godamawful it beggars belief.

Can't think of a one word synonym for gaslight.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

And what is the best?

Michael Portillo was praising the Holyrood architecture on BBC just last week.
    Have you seen Portillo’s breeks?

Nuff said.

Oh how we laughed as that result came in.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Traditionally, the business range use the same chipsets for a couple of years, whereas the home ranges are all mongrels of whatever was available in the factory, of which there might only ever be a few hundred examples and the most minor of failures results in a write-off. The business range will have 3y warranty and probably 3y more of paid support if required. The home ranges don’t get tested much for stuff like driver compatibility, so are more unreliable in service.

The hardware specs can look deceptively similar, but the actual hardware can be quite different in quality and availability. The home range will have a 1y warranty, the business range 3y.
    I don't think any of them offer 3 years any more - its 1 year regardless of type. I need to make a list of what I actually need and then find one that fits.
  • Options

Nestacres said:

Are you claiming that Johnson did not throw the Savile accusation at SKS? In spite of it being broadcast on the news?
    Boris levelled a Savile accusation at Sir Keir.

But it was correct - Sir Keir was head of the CPS at the time of the Savile allegations.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

On topic, I’d love to see how much information was given before those questions. How many people know that Starmer was actually in charge of the public prosecutions service, when the decision was made not to charge Savile with any crime?

Whether or not he made the decision personally, he was in charge of the department - and later apologised for its failings in the Savile case.

Your second paragraph is so misleading that I am left wondering how much information you have about all this.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    Heathener said:

TimS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nestacres said:

Gaslight

Always nice to find a point of agreement with a poster with whom one often disagrees.
    Hermes are a shower of bastards.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

But it was correct - Sir Keir was head of the CPS at the time of the Savile allegations.

That is not the accusation he levelled.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

JBriskin3 said:

Wrong. I watched live. That's exactly what the accusation was.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Your second paragraph is so misleading that I am left wondering how much information you have about all this.
    Educate me.

Did the organisation he was in charge of in 2009, make the decision not to charge Jimmy Savile with any crime?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nestacres said:

Gaslight

Can't think of a one word synonym for gaslight.
    Misdirection.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I love this debate! I don;t have problems with a glossy screen, but have used too many business laptops with a godawful low brightness low resolution screen. OK if I was going to be staring a laptop screen all day it may be an issue, but thats what docking to a screen is for. And screens are all gloss!

The "business" spec thing is bemusing me. Yes of course some manufactures have a dedicated business only series - HP Probook as an example. But I can find several where the "business" one is the same model as the consumer one - series name, chassis, processor, memory etc etc. But the fastest processor options are consumer, with a slower one for business. Or buy the exact same machine but one is business...
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

I watched live. That's exactly what the accusation was.

Then you weren't ;listening. Or don't speak English

“although he spent most of his time prosecuting journalists and failing to prosecute Jimmy Savile"

is what Hansard recorded
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

Scott_xP said:

JBriskin3 said:

Here's the exact quotation from Hansard:

Instead, this Leader of the Opposition, a former Director of Public Prosecutions—although he spent most of his time prosecuting journalists and failing to prosecute Jimmy Savile, as far as I can make out—chose to use this moment continually to prejudge a police inquiry.

The "prosecuting journalists" part of this hasn't attracted much (any) attention.
  • Options
    Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch
  • Options

The "business" spec thing is bemusing me. Yes of course some manufactures have a dedicated business only series - HP Probook as an example. But I can find several where the "business" one is the same model as the consumer one - series name, chassis, processor, memory etc etc. But the fastest processor options are consumer, with a slower one for business. Or buy the exact same machine but one is business...

Apple has a much fairer pricing policy of overcharging everyone equally.
  • Options

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

Scotland 0/1, with two to come.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I don't think any of them offer 3 years any more - its 1 year regardless of type. I need to make a list of what I actually need and then find one that fits.
    Make a list of your priorities - screen size, battery life, weight, price, warranty - then get the highest spec possible for your budget, starting with RAM, then video, then processor. Feel free to PM me.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

I said on Monday week it was an effective line by Johnson. I later though it was an error Johnson is doubling down on this today by not apologising after events yesterday because he can see that on every news report, every demand for an apology is met with Starmer and Savile in the same sentence. Chris Philp must have repeated Starmer and Savile in the same sentence a dozen times on R4 Today.

I think you're very wrong if you think this is harming Starmer more than Johnson. Quite the reverse. This has done Starmer a favour. Once the 'honest broker' resigned in disgust there could only be one winner. The public had no idea who did or said what until the resignation followed by days of hand wringing from the BBC.

After that it was a done deal. I'd go further and say it added to the notion that Starmer is a straight dealer and that Johnson isn't. It's always the case that publicity benefits the market leader and Johnson is always going to be the market leader in telling lies
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

Aha! So, now they’re “Scotland” are they? Fascinating. Wonder why that is.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

JBriskin3 said:

I watched live. That's exactly what the accusation was.

Then you weren't ;listening. Or don't speak English

“although he spent most of his time prosecuting journalists and failing to prosecute Jimmy Savile"

is what Hansard recorded
    Yes, that's the accusation. As head of the CPS Sir Keir failed to prosecute Savile.

I think you've just proved my point.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

JBriskin3 said:

Scott_xP said:

JBriskin3 said:

Instead, this Leader of the Opposition, a former Director of Public Prosecutions—although he spent most of his time prosecuting journalists and failing to prosecute Jimmy Savile, as far as I can make out—chose to use this moment continually to prejudge a police inquiry.

The "prosecuting journalists" part of this hasn't attracted much (any) attention.
    Well the accusation isn't as defamatory. As to its truthfulness, I wasn't really sure what he was on about there though of course if a journalist is accused of a crime and a prosecutor believes there is a good chance of conviction, and it is in the public interest to do so, will prosecute that journalist.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,690
    IshmaelZ said:

TimS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nestacres said:

Dead cat is a bit different; that wasn't meaning drift, it was two quite distinct etymologies- dead cat bounce at the bottom of a market, and then dead cat thrown on table to change the conversation.
    I'd say dead cat is the same (within the latter meaning): the dead cat thrown on the table is supposed to be some new, random, deliberately shocking action which gets everyone talking about it rather than the principal issue at hand. The Savile slur being a classic example. But opponents of Boris have been claiming everything under the sun is a dead cat when most of them are just the government either tripping from one cock up to another, or trying to steer the narrative on to safer ground like the vaccine rollout or Brexit. Announcing a new initiative to boost the population or that you're cancelling annoying train announcements is not a dead cat.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Make a list of your priorities - screen size, battery life, weight, price, warranty - then get the highest spec possible for your budget, starting with RAM, then video, then processor. Feel free to PM me.
    Battery replaceability is a good one too. Was shocked to discover how difficult this is in my Microsoft Surface PC laptop - the thing was basically glued in. And the battery is now failing after several years. Latest iteration is a bit better but I went somewhere else for my recent purchase.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

Because the Scottish curlers are automatically the "GB" representatives at the Olympics...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Educate me.

Did the organisation he was in charge of in 2009, make the decision not to charge Jimmy Savile with any crime?
    Yes or no? Yes or no? YES OR NO?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Most of the business range will have 3 years on site support as an add on. Lenovo and Dell will have machines where 4 year on site is an option,

You question as much as anything else comes down to your use cases - while I need 32gb of ram, you probably don't.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Roger said:

Heathener said:

Boris is toast.

"funny"

I think you're very wrong if you think this is harming Starmer more than Johnson. Quite the reverse. This has done Starmer a favour. Once the 'honest broker' resigned in disgust there could only be one winner. The public had no idea who did or said what until the resignation followed by days of hand wringing from the BBC.

After that it was a done deal. I'd go further and say it added to the notion that Starmer is a straight dealer and that Johnson isn't. It's always the case that publicity benefits the market leader and Johnson is always going to be the market leader in telling lies
    If you had listened to Philp this morning he clearly believes saying Starmer and Savile in the same breath as many times as he can is a vote winner for the Conservatives.

The question is, are enough of them offended enough to send 55 letters and then vote Johnson down in a VONC? I say no.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Educate me.

Yes or no? Yes or no? YES OR NO?
    Well, those are your options, I'm sure you can choose one.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

Can you clarify Evil empire please. I asked you this yesterday.

Is it Team GB, USA or Zhongguo?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    Applicant said:

JBriskin3 said:

Scott_xP said:

JBriskin3 said:

That could be why those idiots yesterday were bleating about Assange. They seem to think he is a journalist.

He is of course no more a journalist than they are sane, but facts don't stop nutters like P Corbyn.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

Because the Scottish curlers are automatically the "GB" representatives at the Olympics...
    GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

Linford Christie’s gold was automatically a victory for the European Union.

Political unions. Tremendous fun.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

Watching the EU try to claim a place in the medal table was hillarious - when only so many athletes from each country are allowed to enter any given event.

If they actually competed as the EU, they’d have a small fraction of the number of entrants and medals that the EU nations won separately.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Lovin the medal table.

European good guys 1
    European good guys 2
    Evil empire 1
    European good guys 3
    Jävla norrmännen
    European good guys 4
    Evil empire 2
    European good guys 5
    European good guys 6
    European good guys 7

Clownland zilch

GB when winning.
    Scotland when losing.
    Rings a bell.

Um, the EU (est. 1 November 1993) didn't exist when Linford Christie won his gold (1 August 1992), you muppet.
  • Options
    HarziHarzi Posts: 2
    Parrainages report from Paris:

PÉCRESSE Valérie 939
    MACRON Emmanuel 926
    HIDALGO Anne 652
    ARTHAUD Nathalie 368
    ROUSSEL Fabien 326
    LASSALLE Jean 316
    JADOT Yannick 268
    DUPONT-AIGNAN Nicolas 232
    MÉLENCHON Jean-Luc 224