Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will Donald Trump become President before 2024? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist
    Johnson's team are doing the "it took years to recover from toppling Thatcher" thing.
    Forgetting that had the vote gone the other way everyone who had backed Thatcher in the run up to 1992 would have to answer for supporting her catastrophic unpopularity.

https://twitter.com/ExStrategist/status/1487876340044947458

Given Labour have kept all of their leaders up until the next general election, even Foot, Brown, Ed Miliband and Corbyn, we Tories do not need lectures on when we should remove our leaders
    Tory Party ruthlessness with dead wood is one of the reasons they have been electorally so successful.

Johnson is a liability.

Sunak's honeymoon would see Labour back in the twenties and Conservatives pushing 50. And don't give me your simulated polling statistics. Sunak's first proper poll as leader will be stratospheric. He is that impressive.

Not that I'd vote for the diminutive Brexiteer.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    Sounds ominous.

"Rosie Duffield expected to make decision on Labour future imminently
    Canterbury MP has accused party’s whips of doing little to protect her from what she called ‘obsessive harassment’"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/30/canterbury-mp-rosie-duffield-considering-quitting-labour
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The current government in Canada has been elected twice after losing the popular vote, in 2015 and 2019. Has that ever happened before in a Western democracy?

Not that I am aware of.

Though to be fair to Trudeau most 3rd place NDP voters would vote for his Liberals over the Canadian Conservatives. They just only vote Liberal if they live in marginal Liberal held ridings
    Also worth pointing out. They didn't win a majority either time. So it probably has happened under PR. Just not under FPTP.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

On the 67 votes needed to convict in the Senate - is that two-thirds of the number of Senators elected, or twoPretty sure there is some precedent in Elizabethan England, when it was said that some Lords were prevented from voting against one of the Religious Settlement Acts. I don't think that Trump is necessarily well enough organised to make it happen - otherwise he'd have managed to stop the counting in November 2020, and would still be President - but arresting a dozen or so Democratic Senators might be the way to get it done.

The other thing about it is that, just as with the certification in January 2021, even if an Impeachment doesn't succeed in making Trump President, it achieves many other things. It forces Republican members of Congress to pick a side. It's a loyalty test, and another step to Trump maintaining his control of the Republicans. It disrupts the Democrats. And it pushes the boundary of what is seen to be acceptable so that greater liberties can be taken at a later date.

Toms said:

They got Al (Scarface) Capone on tax. What about trump. I believe New York (or NYC?) is looking into it.

IIRC both the Manhattan DA (which is a New York County rather than New York City office) and the NYS AG are conducting investigations into the Trump Organization’s and family’s financial affairs.

Although in terms of being the first to get Trump into the courtroom as a defendant, they may yet be trumped, so to speak, by the Fulton County, Georgia, DA who on May 2nd will be impaneling a Special Grand Jury to consider indictment for Trump’s election night shenanigans, asking the Georgia SoS to “find” him a few thousand more votes.
  • Options

Ive had a great day today. Was asked to come into office to work on some urgent stuff but of course there’s no heating on weekends. Had to sit in car for 30 mins to warm up as i couldn’t drive due to violently shaking with cold after a 7 hour stint.

Depressing.

Get a cheapish fan heater or, better still, get work to provide a portable heater. Get a usb-powered blanket/throw. Maybe visit an outdoor/camping shop for eg electric socks, space blankets, thermal underwear and hats and so on. Also keep an emergency bag in the car as you live in the frozen north.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In the context of DeltaPoll and the tories being seen as behind on the economy..

The national insurance rise amidst a cost of living crisis is…political suicide?

Yup, I was told it gets worse.

Add the fact 'Billionaire Rishi Sunak is proposing increase your taxes and for other working families' and the support and the policy becomes even more unpopular.
    What about 'Ex Goldman Sachs banker, son in law of a billionaire and owner of a £1.5 million mansion in Yorkshire, £7 million pound townhouse in Kensington and luxury apartment in California is proposing to increase your NI paid?'

Surely that would sweep the Tories to victory if Boris goes?
    Wrong, there's a reason why Sunak's ratings are so much better than Johnson's.

But we all know once Johnson goes you'll give Sunak your slavish donation.
    I am currently reading Ashcroft's biography of Sunak, of course I would back him if Tory leader I just still believe Boris is still our best bet having won the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher in 2019.

There are also zero policy differences between Boris and Sunak I can see
    The problem is Boris is the problem

He is paralysing government with his bad judgement and arrogance, which has given labour the opening on the economy, while all Boris affirms is a NI rise

Cressida Dick total incompetence has filleted Sue Gray's report, and I detect a weariness amongst the population who want to hear how the conservatives are going to address their cost of living

I understand an announcement will be made shortly but that is the problem, shortly hands the initiative to labour and when an announcement is made labour will respond by saying we have been demanding help while the PM lies and attends parties whilst the rest of the nation was enduring lockdowns and many were grieving

You do not see the optics, but then you are blind to them and it does not do you any credit whatsoever to accept the awful portrait this paints if the conservative party and your beloved Boris

You are not very good at politics are you
    Sunak and Boris have just published a joint article backing the NI rise, there is not a tissue paper between them on policy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-wins-tug-of-war-over-national-insurance-hike-f85bzgs76
    Do you think they did that jointly out of brotherly lurve, or because one strongarmed the other? If the latter, which way round?
    Chancellor made it clear he'd resign if overruled I suspect.
    I think so too
    Whatever happens in the short term we're now entering a post Boris world. An acquaintance of mine has jumped ship from a job with Boris in No 10 to a job with Truss in the FCO. The Chancellor will increasingly dominate the domestic agenda because his resignation would bring down the government. The various back bench factions are searching the Augeian Stables for their dark horse.
    Yes, it is now a post Johnson world, just a question how long before Big Dog gets that last trip to the vet.
    I still think it slightly more likely than not that he gets PTS in a vonc this week. Mettez vos jeux.
    PTS? What has post traumatic stress got to do with it?
    put to sleep

I quite like the idea of his getting pre traumatic stress, mind, knowing that Cazzie will be coming at him with WE HAD IT ALL YOU FAT BASTARD, 24/7 till the nisi comes through
    Can I just say that my eldest son has been gravely ill for 2 years with PTSD and anxiety following his attendance at ground zero in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake, hiding in his bedroom, unemployed and with no income, and even undergoing experimental treatment

In the last few weeks he has shown one or two signs of getting better but he is unlikely ever to be the same person

PTSD is not a joking matter
    Yes, well, I have had major depression for 40 years and have had more experimental treatments than you can shake a stick at, and I am very comfortable with treating it as a joking matter, and indeed very uncomfortable with this Ooooh we don't talk about that stuff. Horses for courses.
    It is not a joking matter for the person, the family and the loved ones deeply effected by it

Of course we should discuss it but joking that you wouldn't mind getting it is sad

I know one of the first responders to the Grenfell fire and I am certain he would find your joke distasteful especially in view of just how ill he is with PTSD and the sights and sounds he experienced at the scene of that tragedy
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sounds ominous.

Canterbury MP has accused party’s whips of doing little to protect her from what she called ‘obsessive harassment’"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/30/canterbury-mp-rosie-duffield-considering-quitting-labour

What does she want the whips to do, exactly? Sounds like she should consider quitting twitter. And possibly going to work from time to time.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

Ive had a great day today. Was asked to come into office to work on some urgent stuff but of course there’s no heating on weekends. Had to sit in car for 30 mins to warm up as i couldn’t drive due to violently shaking with cold after a 7 hour stint.

Depressing.

Get a cheapish fan heater or, better still, get work to provide a portable heater. Get a usb-powered blanket/throw. Maybe visit an outdoor/camping shop for eg electric socks, space blankets, thermal underwear and hats and so on. Also keep an emergency bag in the car as you live in the frozen north.
    FFS... A space blanket? For work? In an office?

Tell them to effin' well make sure the heating is on next time!

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    edited January 2022
    Our power is distinctingly wobbling here. Not sure I am going to see the England defeat.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    Mandatory Covid jabs for NHS and social care workers are set to be scrapped, The Telegraph reveals https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/30/front-line-health-staff-no-longer-need-covid-vaccines/
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

Isn't that a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992 (no.7)?

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l24.pdf

The temperature inside the workplace should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. If reasonable comfort cannot be achieved because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable.

In other words, if they ask you to work in the office at weekends, they have to turn the heating on.
    I appreciate the reply to my venting (and from others) but obviously it’s not worth making a stink over. The partner I was with seemed rather unbothered despite protestations so I’m not going to give myself a reputation as a wimp, unfortunately.
    Telling people that they have to treat you properly is the opposite of being a "wimp". Tell them no.
    You mean, unemployed but with his integrity intact?
    If necessary. As a final escalation, I would walk out if they refused to treat me like a person. It's animals that belong in barns, not people.
    It’s probably just an oversight but it has left me very depressed
    I'd guess it was an oversight - surely no employer is going to do that deliberately. Need to let them know so that it doesn't happen for others in the future. There clearly needs to be some way of arranging for the heating to come on at weekends and overnight if the office is in use.
    I’m just going to ask how I’m future I turn the heating on
    ...and make sure anyone else put in a similar position knows.

As an aside, it's office work... why couldn't it be done from home?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,250
    Scott_xP said:

Mandatory Covid jabs for NHS and social care workers are set to be scrapped, The Telegraph reveals https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/30/front-line-health-staff-no-longer-need-covid-vaccines/

Personally I’d require either vaccination or proof of antibodies.
    This line was never going to hold, with the nhs already in a recruitment crisis.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Scott_xP said:

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked.
  • Options
    Sue Gray report to arrive just as Johnson takes off for Eastern Europe?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Personally I’d require either vaccination or proof of antibodies.
    This line was never going to hold, with the nhs already in a recruitment crisis.
    Yep.

I guess Javid pushed it to the last minute in hope a few more thousand would get the jab.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    DavidL said:

Our power is distinctingly wobbling here. Not sure I am going to see the England defeat.

Was wobbly even in Edinburgh yesterday. Brings back childhood memories.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    Scott_xP said:

It was looking an absurd fight. No vax, no job, but covid positive, work normally...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It was looking an absurd fight. No vax, no job, but covid positive, work normally...
    What happens of it sets a precedent for other vaccines NHS staff have to take?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Why are you all watching the cricket? The hand egg is ridiculously good again.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Its called masocism. We love it.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

Was wobbly even in Edinburgh yesterday. Brings back childhood memories.
    Childhood memories = a rota for power cuts...

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/1972/feb/16/fromthearchive

Bloody awful 1970s Labour governments, eh? Led by that awful Labour PM, er... Edward Heath.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    tlg86 said:

I'm wearing out the "last channel" button...
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

The temperature inside the workplace should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. If reasonable comfort cannot be achieved because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable.

In other words, if they ask you to work in the office at weekends, they have to turn the heating on.
    I appreciate the reply to my venting (and from others) but obviously it’s not worth making a stink over. The partner I was with seemed rather unbothered despite protestations so I’m not going to give myself a reputation as a wimp, unfortunately.
    Telling people that they have to treat you properly is the opposite of being a "wimp". Tell them no.
    If necessary. As a final escalation, I would walk out if they refused to treat me like a person. It's animals that belong in barns, not people.
    I'd guess it was an oversight - surely no employer is going to do that deliberately. Need to let them know so that it doesn't happen for others in the future. There clearly needs to be some way of arranging for the heating to come on at weekends and overnight if the office is in use.
    I’m just going to ask how I’m future I turn the heating on
    ...and make sure anyone else put in a similar position knows.

As an aside, it's office work... why couldn't it be done from home?
    All my client work had to be done at a client site.

Grim as fuck, driving in for a 12 hour stint on a Sunday. I (belatedly) worked out that I only have my twenties once. I earn less than my old colleagues do, but per hour, after tax?

Moving to 35 hours soon and have full TOIL.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Because no one in the U.K. gives a shit.
    I mean a 1h game that lasts three and a half hours? The hero complex of a sport designed around one player. Players so wrapped in padding and helmets that all technique is gone and tackling consists of throwing yourself at the opponent. Not being able to pass forwards apart from being able to pass it forwards, but just once, and probably by the hero player.
    Swapping the entire team when going from defence to attack.
    Mad, all of it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    Andy_JS said:

Sounds ominous.

Does it? Sounds more like someone hoping for an outpouring of support as a gesture.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

What happens of it sets a precedent for other vaccines NHS staff have to take?
    My colleague suggested mandatory Covid jabs for all new employees is workable.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

tlg86 said:

Because no one in the U.K. gives a shit.
    I mean a 1h game that lasts three and a half hours? The hero complex of a sport designed around one player. Players so wrapped in padding and helmets that all technique is gone and tackling consists of throwing yourself at the opponent. Not being able to pass forwards apart from being able to pass it forwards, but just once, and probably by the hero player.
    Swapping the entire team when going from defence to attack.
    Mad, all of it.
    I like watching highlights of it.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

Depressing.

And expense it.
  • Options
    England need a shift on here. They need to be about 20 ahead going into the last 4 overs before they blew it.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,945
    Oh yippee how exciting . The pathological liar is wheeling out the Brexit Freedoms Bill to throw some red meat to the masses , so give the turd a freedom tag and the plebs will lap it up !
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In the context of DeltaPoll and the tories being seen as behind on the economy..

The national insurance rise amidst a cost of living crisis is…political suicide?

Add the fact 'Billionaire Rishi Sunak is proposing increase your taxes and for other working families' and the support and the policy becomes even more unpopular.
    What about 'Ex Goldman Sachs banker, son in law of a billionaire and owner of a £1.5 million mansion in Yorkshire, £7 million pound townhouse in Kensington and luxury apartment in California is proposing to increase your NI paid?'

I am currently reading Ashcroft's biography of Sunak, of course I would back him if Tory leader I just still believe Boris is still our best bet having won the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher in 2019.

He is paralysing government with his bad judgement and arrogance, which has given labour the opening on the economy, while all Boris affirms is a NI rise

Cressida Dick total incompetence has filleted Sue Gray's report, and I detect a weariness amongst the population who want to hear how the conservatives are going to address their cost of living

I understand an announcement will be made shortly but that is the problem, shortly hands the initiative to labour and when an announcement is made labour will respond by saying we have been demanding help while the PM lies and attends parties whilst the rest of the nation was enduring lockdowns and many were grieving

You do not see the optics, but then you are blind to them and it does not do you any credit whatsoever to accept the awful portrait this paints if the conservative party and your beloved Boris

Sunak and Boris have just published a joint article backing the NI rise, there is not a tissue paper between them on policy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-wins-tug-of-war-over-national-insurance-hike-f85bzgs76
    Do you think they did that jointly out of brotherly lurve, or because one strongarmed the other? If the latter, which way round?
    I think so too
    Whatever happens in the short term we're now entering a post Boris world. An acquaintance of mine has jumped ship from a job with Boris in No 10 to a job with Truss in the FCO. The Chancellor will increasingly dominate the domestic agenda because his resignation would bring down the government. The various back bench factions are searching the Augeian Stables for their dark horse.
    Yes, it is now a post Johnson world, just a question how long before Big Dog gets that last trip to the vet.
    I still think it slightly more likely than not that he gets PTS in a vonc this week. Mettez vos jeux.
    put to sleep

I quite like the idea of his getting pre traumatic stress, mind, knowing that Cazzie will be coming at him with WE HAD IT ALL YOU FAT BASTARD, 24/7 till the nisi comes through
    Can I just say that my eldest son has been gravely ill for 2 years with PTSD and anxiety following his attendance at ground zero in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake, hiding in his bedroom, unemployed and with no income, and even undergoing experimental treatment

In the last few weeks he has shown one or two signs of getting better but he is unlikely ever to be the same person

Yes, well, I have had major depression for 40 years and have had more experimental treatments than you can shake a stick at, and I am very comfortable with treating it as a joking matter, and indeed very uncomfortable with this Ooooh we don't talk about that stuff. Horses for courses.
    It is not a joking matter for the person, the family and the loved ones deeply effected by it

Of course we should discuss it but joking that you wouldn't mind getting it is sad

I know one of the first responders to the Grenfell fire and I am certain he would find your joke distasteful especially in view of just how ill he is with PTSD and the sights and sounds he experienced at the scene of that tragedy
    I'm not joking that I wouldn't mind getting it, I have fucking got it. You haven't. The end.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    IshmaelZ said:

Agree with horses for courses, but it's one of those things where we can joke about ourselves but shouldn't joke about others - they may have different courses, as it were. But I'm glad you're able to joke about it - I know from family how rough it can be.
  • Options

Thanks for the vent people, feeling a little better now.

When I had a job like yours, it was often deeply enjoyable because of the bunker mentality that we grads had. If people had got a hold of our Skype chat messages...

Coffees at 5pm, Pizzas at 8, Pints at 12. I presume that culture doesn't exist during Covid :(
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Oh yippee how exciting . The pathological liar is wheeling out the Brexit Freedoms Bill to throw some red meat to the masses , so give the turd a freedom tag and the plebs will lap it up !

Honestly though, does anybody outside the hard-core zealots buy this for one moment?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too
    put to sleep

I'm not joking that I wouldn't mind getting it, I have fucking got it. You haven't. The end.
    Your insensitivity is sad

My son has it and that effects us all, to downplay the effect shows a lack of empathy that people with mental health needs and their families seek
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

nico679 said:

Honestly though, does anybody outside the hard-core zealots buy this for one moment?
    What is it?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

It sounds horrible, and as others have said there's a failure of their duty of care. I think without any risk you could politely say that it was challenging as the temperature was freezing, can they let you know how to switch the heating on if it happens again? That's not in the least wimpish - they would almost certainly be glad to know of the problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

nico679 said:

What is it?
    It's a pink unicorn.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

Monday’s Daily EXPRESS: “Boris Vows To ‘Unleash Benefits Of Brexit’

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1487914925532012552?s=20&t=TOX3QfHu-804h_OeUYSU4w

That shouldn't take long.

I am a Brexit fan but I did lol. :lol:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    nico679 said:

I do hope that the right to peaceful protest is in there...🙄
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

nico679 said:

I will wait to see what is in it before judging. It says a lot that you won't.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too
    put to sleep

My son has it and that effects us all, to downplay the effect shows a lack of empathy that people with mental health needs and their families seek
    Jesus Christ

Do you not understand me, or not believe me?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too
    put to sleep

Jesus Christ

I do believe you but PTSD has scarred our family and it is a sensitive subject
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Point of order... the right to peaceful protest was guaranteed while we were in the EU.

The 'Brexit Fredoom' in this area is likely to be the right to suppress peaceful protest.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Wheeling out the Brexit Turd Bill is a sign of desperation but I suppose it gives the spineless Tory lobby fodder something to cheer .
  • Options
    Aslan said:

nico679 said:

Fair challenge, but what do you think might be in it?

Indeed what could possibly in it and why have they waited until now to announce it?

And do you not consider for one moment that this might just a simple attempt at distraction, from partygate, NI rises etc.?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    50 years after Bloody Sunday - Cameron's apology in the Commons.

https://youtu.be/YOo4IfNltDg

His finest hour.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    What sort of Brexit benefits are we expecting? Pounds shillings and pence?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1487914925532012552?s=20&t=TOX3QfHu-804h_OeUYSU4w

100 pages of Brexit benefits apparently ...
  • Options

Bring back pounds and ounces!
  • Options
    It’s ironic to call this the Brexit Freedoms Bill given it removed peoples rights to live and work in 27 other countries .

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    nico679 said:

It’s ironic to call this the Brexit Freedoms Bill given it removed peoples rights to live and work in 27 other countries .

More of a benefit of membership than a right.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Wow ! Did they get the Hollywood scriptwriters in .
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    The counting proceeds apace in Portugal:

It's looking like a clear win for the Socialists who might yet win a majority in the National Assembly. They have a huge lead in votes (41.8 to 28.3) - the last polls suggested a 7 point lead but this is a 13.5 point lead. That converts so far to 94 deputies for the Socialists and 58 for the Social Democrats with 57 seats to be filled.

Antonio Costa's party needs 22 of the remaining seats to have a Parliamentary majority. Chega has won 8 seats on just over 7% of the vote.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Will there be many redactions?
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico679 said:

?? How was it not a right?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Not sure why you need to apologise for GB News. Some of their presenters are a bit irritating but I don't get the hate.

Quite.

I’ve also seen it linked to, by not-the-usual suspects. GBNews seems to be making an impact, after a terrible start

Good luck to them. The more independent voices the better. C4 News has been pumping out leftwing nonsense for decades
    Anyway, if you want something different to talk about we could talk about women, Article 10 of the ECHR and what, if any, the police's role in this should be. It touches on Scotland, Wales, the police, law and Europe - as well as, of course, women. So pretty much a full bingo card.

And it gives me a chance to post this - https://medium.com/@cyclefree2/perception-and-reality-7cbe78a2b679.

So what's not to love?
    Does it involve aliens, GPT4 and arguments about the best Goan fish curry recipes? I/f not, sorry. Not interested
    No. Of course not. Such dreary geeky topics. I don't even know what the second one means.

Maybe someone else will bite.

Or I could do some work. Next door's cat is staring at me evilly. He/she is probably an alien, maybe even a GPT4 alien who likes fish.

There - that'll have to do.

You tried. Fair play

Believe it or not I AM interested in your garden!

You said it was REALLY big. How big? And you say you could happily spend all day gardening. Why do you think that is? How does it affect you? Is there an endorphin high at the end, is it the pleasure of seeing flowers, or growing your own veg?

Genuine questions. One day I will retire, at least a bit, and I wonder if I might like a garden….
    OK - here goes. In a curious way gardening chose me. Oh I wanted a nice garden for the children.

But what I eventually realised was that I was drawn to it because it helped soothe & calm me whenever I was troubled or worried. It rooted me in a way. And then it made me feel good. It answered various needs in me I was only dimly aware I had.

How? It is sensuous - you use your eyes, you have to take the time to really observe & see & when you do you see such beauty & often in unexpected combinations: rain on a spider's web, bees burrowing into allium flowers, the light shining through canna leaves. My mind is a very visual one. I think in pictures. I try to paint pictures with words. I cannot draw. But gardening gives me the ability to create something beautiful & visual.

Then there is scent. A garden without scent is absurd.

Sound - water obviously but the sound of grasses moving in wind. In the Lakes we are on a hill. It can be very windy so I'm experimenting with grasses for just that reason.

Taste - an obvious one this. But I eat lemons, figs, apples, pears & blackberries I have grown myself. The sense of achievement is superb.

Touch - overlooked but real. The feel of different sorts of leaves or petals or running your fingers through lavender etc. Or having your hands in earth. Honestly it is lovely.

Yes - gardening is sensuous. And creative.

Plus the physical exercise & being outside in all weathers. It is tiring but so fulfilling & yes gives me a high. The sense of stretching my body, of being tired & dirty is good - together with a sense of achievement - of being able to look & say "I've done that".

It's unexpected. Whatever you plan it will never quite work out as you wanted. That is part of the joy. You have a partner - Mother Nature - who will do her own thing.

It is quiet. It puts my mind into a sort of suspended animation where whatever I'm thinking about goes into the back - like someone stuffing clothes into a cupboard without bothering to hang them up. But somehow when I switch my mind back on, it is all a bit clearer & more ordered than before.

The Lakes garden is big - about 1/3 of an acre I think. On a hill. On limestone. Windy. But very sunny with fabulous views & a mile from the sea. Front garden - largely done. Back garden: needs sorting. Then some additional land next to it which is a huge mess. Just wild. I am just beginning to think about this.

I need to draw it out on paper, work out what I want to do, how it relates to the house, the views of it & from it etc. I would like to have a formal French-style potager with veg, a greenhouse, a garden building to sit in with my books, maybe a hot tub & an area of large sweeping planted curvaceous beds. It needs mystery too.

So that's why I can spend all day. I am not a tidy lawn & small border sort of a girl.

Here are my roses from a few years back in London to give you an idea of the sensuous aspect.

Eloquent as ever and also pretty persuasive. And enlightening. Much to think about. Thankyou

Maybe I should get a garden. I can see the enormous pleasure of growing your own fruit and veg and I totally get the reward of proper physical work - it is good for you, AND you earn your appetite

I have just one more question. You’ve spoken of your Neapolitan background. Don’t you miss the Campanian sun? Are you totally adjusted to British weather?

When I think about the next Act in my life I do yearn for real warmth and sun. Mediterranean, but tempered. Maybe Portugal. Or go the whole hog and go tropical, like Sri Lanka. The sweet soft evenings are so seductive….
    Yes and no. Naples is not famous for its gardens. That level of heat is not really good for gardens. Where I am we get sun all day and when it is there - being near the sea - it can get beautifully warm. Also I like mist and cold weather too. I don't like very hot humid weather.

Campania is very humid and the sun is fierce so it is something to be enjoyed but also something to be avoided as well: the rush to the sea in summer, the closing of shutters to keep the heat out etc.

Husband and I talked in the past (ie before Covid hit and we'd moved into our house) of spending part of the winter abroad - in the Mediterranean, exploring different places, then further afield, maybe even renting for 3 months. That was the vague plan. It still is.
    Grazie, again
    If you - or any other PB'er - wants advice on gardening and gardening design DM me. I will even come and plant for you for those living nearby (so Lakes and North London). Anywhere else you have to ask nicely.

Maybe my final career will be as some sort of freelance gardener-cum-investigator.
    That sounds like something for Sunday evening TV with somebody like Harriet Walter in the lead role.
    I have started writing a drama series - but there is no gardening in it it all. Only investigations.

Rosemary & Thyme was execrable.

The plotting is the hardest part and I am not a screen writer so will see how far I can take it before I throw it in the bin or sell to someone to finish.
    Good luck with that. Yes, plot is the hardest thing. Then dialogue. Then prose. Or to be more accurate, not so much hardest but a rarer skill. More people can do good prose than can do good dialogue than can do good plot. That's my view anyway.
    Indeed. "Show" rather than "Tell".

I have the outline of the plot. And the characters. Some of their names as well. And some scenes. The dialogue and style - not yet.

And so much is in the acting. So much communication is non-verbal. So how the hell do you write a script for that?

I have probably jinxed it now by revealing even this much.
    Maybe for each big character do a thumbnail of what they're like. Traits, tics, habits, likes, dislikes, kind of the essence of them, more than superficial but very much including the superficial. The acting can then work off that as a guide but not be boxed in.

My one serious attempt at getting published - really hard without contacts - was a black comedy where the protagonist per my pitch was "Patrick Bateman meets Alan Partridge". That worked well to get me a full reading at a couple of places but sadly no further.
    Thanks. I've already started the thumbnail sketches. I find that quite easy. I have a very clear picture of them in my head. And some of the scenes. It's knitting it altogether that is harder.

Anyway it is one of my many projects and if it ever comes off in any way I shall make @SeanT's boasting look like rank amateurism!
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico679 said:

So a benefit that Brits no longer have and which 27 other countries citizens continue to enjoy . Thankfully I’m a dual national although of course that does open me up to be deported if Priti decides I haven’t shown enough respect for the Dear Leader !
  • Options
    stodge said:

It's looking like a clear win for the Socialists who might yet win a majority in the National Assembly. They have a huge lead in votes (41.8 to 28.3) - the last polls suggested a 7 point lead but this is a 13.5 point lead. That converts so far to 94 deputies for the Socialists and 58 for the Social Democrats with 57 seats to be filled.

Antonio Costa's party needs 22 of the remaining seats to have a Parliamentary majority. Chega has won 8 seats on just over 7% of the vote.

Yep. This is yet another success for the centre left. Widely written off, but the Boris win in 2019 remains the last win for the Right in Western nations.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

Bring back pounds and ounces!
    Yes but which ones? Not to mention the wide range of bushels, hogsheads, poles and roods across the four nations.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Yep. This is yet another success for the centre left. Widely written off, but the Boris win in 2019 remains the last win for the Right in Western nations.
    And even that was really more about Brexit than left-right per se.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

I can still see Scott Morrison squeaking out a win this year (based on gut feeling and HYUFD's convincing reasoning) but we will see what happens.
  • Options
    Watching the cricket, I am almost hoping @DavidL's power *has* gone for his sake. It might have done as he hasn't posted for a while.

One thing's for sure, Storm Corrie or no, the Windies up.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

I can still see Scott Morrison squeaking out a win this year (based on gut feeling and HYUFD's convincing reasoning) but we will see what happens.
    Yes. It's possible. However, the economy has always been the trump card. No recessions this Century, based on huge exports of primary resources to China. Not happening any more.
    All to play for.
  • Options

Watching the cricket, I am almost hoping @DavidL's power *has* gone for his sake. It might have done as he hasn't posted for a while.

Not that lucky, to be honest. This is not close. A very ordinary performance with the bat after a less than ordinary performance with the ball. Disappointing. Very few of the B team have stepped up or put any pressure on the A players having a break.
  • Options
    Portugese Socialists sweeping to victory, slightly to their surprise:

https://www.politico.eu/article/exit-polls-show-socialist-victory-in-portuguese-general-election/
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    According to the Trump cultists, he was due to return to power on three separate occasions in the last year. Hasn't come near it once.

The only way he gets back in is by a presidential election. I have some serious doubts he even gets to that but even if he does, the hatred for the man still holds strong for large sections of the US public & that means the Democrats should get in again versus Trump unless they balls it up by a) letting Biden run again or b) putting up someone who isn't a strong centre ground politician.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not that lucky, to be honest. This is not close. A very ordinary performance with the bat after a less than ordinary performance with the ball. Disappointing. Very few of the B team have stepped up or put any pressure on the A players having a break.
    A mere 16 an over required. 'Tis nothing.
  • Options
    May have been posted, but the real time Portuguese results are here.

https://www.jn.pt/nacional/legislativas-2022/resultados.html
  • Options
    The lead character - a woman - gets very bored with talk of cricket.

I can't imagine why that popped into my head when doing her thumbnail sketch.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too
    put to sleep

Jesus Christ

I do believe you but PTSD has scarred our family and it is a sensitive subject
    You don't get to dictate how other people use humour to deal with issues in their own lives. Besides which, you've misunderstood/misread the way it has been raised here specifically.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Her head is turned to a F1 fan ...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827
    Working in dodgy temperatures:
    Trying to progress a Disaster Recovery test in the days of base building and restoring servers, except the air con in the recovery server room failed. After a while the server's being recovered were flaking as fast as they were being built. We had a while in well over 30 degrees before the overseers finally understood it was a pointless task until the Aircon man had been

Had a summer job in a refrigerated meat factory one year. All the proper protective stuff, mainly OK, but one job stands out - the manufacture of skinless sausages.

Now these are actually cooked in their skins and then de-skinned by plunging in ice water then getting some mug to haul them out, load them into a sausage gun with a blade in, then draw the fore-skin from the front sausage and hand over hand pull like hell, as the sausages are cut out and fly uncontrollably over a packing line. Five minutes in your hands are frozen from the ice and even as a 19 year old lad, by the end of the day you never want to tug a sausage again for the entire rest of your life. All this was overseen by an out and proud hefty Chinese man and a gaggle of middle aged women who after many years hadn't tired of the, frankly, single entendre potential of this whole rig.

No doubt, some machine has taken this task over, and I expect Greg Wallace to gis himself in the obituary column the day he claps eyes on it.
  • Options
    Should I cash out?

• Options

DavidL said:

A mere 16 an over required. 'Tis nothing.
    If it hadn't been for yet another awful final over from CJ it could have been close.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Aslan said:

nico679 said:

No it doesn't. It just says he's got a functioning brain.
  • Options
    In better sports news.
    WC Qualifier.
    Canada 2 USA 0.
    Canada clear in first in CONCACAF. Looking likely to make only their second WC appearance and first since 1986.
    USA struggling to avoid missing out twice in succession.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

In better sports news.
    WC Qualifier.
    Canada 2 USA 0.
    Canada clear in first in CONCACAF. Looking likely to make only their second WC appearance and first since 1986.

Panama at home is the key game for the USA. And even if they come fourth, they get to play New Zealand (probably!) in the playoffs.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Her head is turned to a F1 fan ...
    Oh come on. There has to be some plausibility.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

In better sports news.
    WC Qualifier.
    Canada 2 USA 0.

Panama at home is the key game for the USA. And even if they come fourth, they get to play New Zealand (probably!) in the playoffs.
    Indeed. I am rejoicing in Canada. They looked a decent side. Have beaten USA and Mexico now. Very well organised and coached, if lacking much stardust. Defensively sound.
  • Options

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Point of order... the right to peaceful protest was guaranteed while we were in the EU.

The 'Brexit Fredoom' in this area is likely to be the right to suppress peaceful protest.
    Hmm. Try telling the Grandmothers in Catalonia that.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

In better sports news.
    WC Qualifier.
    Canada 2 USA 0.

Indeed. I am rejoicing in Canada. They looked a decent side. Have beaten USA and Mexico now. Very well organised and coached, if lacking much stardust. Defensively sound.
    No Alphonso Davies at the moment due to COVID/heart issues. Hopefully he gets over that as he is very good.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Should I cash out?

I know nothing about it but an old adage is that it is never too soon to take a profit. You could partially cash out, as an alternative.
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico679 said:

You are splitting hairs here.

My plan was to retire to Southern France taking my paid for UK state pension with me. I won't be doing that now.

Still, Boris Johnson became Prime Minister so it gave him some Brexit Freedoms, particularly during periods of Covid lockdown. So all's good.
  • Options

The Ukrainian crisis has removed any doubts in Germany and France about Britain’s commitment to European security after Brexit. But London’s activism has also been a mixed blessing for Berlin and Paris at a time when the two continental powers’ leadership is wavering in the face of military threats from Vladimir Putin....

“It’s Global Britain in action, showing agility in contrast with what the EU can do,” says Alice Billon-Galland, Research Fellow at Chatham House in London. “It’s complicated to make the EU the go-to security forum for the current crisis when the most active European country sits outside the EU.”

https://www.ft.com/content/2e003f9c-3ac7-4ae8-ac86-22ccc2799633

Agility versus sclerosis.

Who could have ever foreseen that. 🤔
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

nico679 said:

My plan was to retire to Southern France taking my paid for UK state pension with me. I won't be doing that now.

Still, Boris Johnson became Prime Minister so it gave him some Brexit Freedoms, particularly during periods of Covid lockdown. So all's good.
    Why not? You can still do it, you have to apply for a visa.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    I guess time will tell, smoke or substance:

Airline customers to more easily seek justice from unfair practices thanks to new proposals announced today (31 January 2022) by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

Some of the proposals being consulted on have been made possible thanks to the UK’s departure from the EU and our newfound ability to amend rules set under EU regulations.

These include considering the creation of a fairer compensation model for when domestic UK flights are delayed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-takes-action-to-strengthen-airline-passenger-rights
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

You don't get your full UK state pension and more importantly for someone in their twilight years no free at the point of delivery reciprocal European Health Insurance.

It's a while since I looked, but as I recall there are a whole raft of issues that make the plan unattractive.

Brexit may be fantastic if one doesn't want European foreigners crossing into Blighty, but it's not so good if one planned a move in the opposite direction.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Trump says it’s unfortunate that Pence didn’t overturn the election result.

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,478
    edited January 2022

I guess time will tell, smoke or substance:

Airline customers to more easily seek justice from unfair practices thanks to new proposals announced today (31 January 2022) by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

Some of the proposals being consulted on have been made possible thanks to the UK’s departure from the EU and our newfound ability to amend rules set under EU regulations.

These include considering the creation of a fairer compensation model for when domestic UK flights are delayed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-takes-action-to-strengthen-airline-passenger-rights

"New proposals ... being consulted on ... include considering". No actual legislation yet. This is a socially distanced brainstorming session rushed out as a press release as part of Operation Save Big Dog (founder member, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

RobD said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

Brexit may be fantastic if one doesn't want European foreigners crossing into Blighty, but it's not so good if one planned a move in the opposite direction.
    Considering ±six times as many went one way than the other (and there are more Brits in Australia than the entire EU), it does rather appear Europeans valued crossing into Blightly a lot more highly than Brits valued the reverse....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    "Dominic Cummings has branded Boris Johnson a “complete f***wit” and said it is his “duty” to get rid of him as prime minister.
    The former Downing Street aide said the campaign to remove Mr Johnson from office was an “unpleasant but necessary job” which was akin to “fixing the drains”.
    In an explosive interview with New York Magazine, Mr Cummings claimed the prime minister was too preoccupied with media coverage and believed he was “the f***ing king”. He said: “You know, as he said to me, ‘I’m the f***ing king around here and I’m going to do what I want.’"

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-duty-remove-him-power-b979605.html
  • Options

Trump says it’s unfortunate that Pence didn’t overturn the election result.

**** me! Is this a pincer action from Putin and Trump to take over Western civilization as we know it sometime over the next three weeks?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

You don't get your full UK state pension and more importantly for someone in their twilight years no free at the point of delivery reciprocal European Health Insurance.

It's a while since I looked, but as I recall there are a whole raft of issues that make the plan unattractive.

And should the UK be ran for the benefit of a few pensioners who want to spend their state pension overseas? Or for the whole country?

Do the interests of pensioners override the interests of those who are working for a living?

The simple reality is we had a vote and everyone got one say. But even pre vote, the reality is that not that many people exercised the ability to emigrate, not compared to those who chose to do so the other way.

Had we had as many emigres as immigrants per annum then there would have been more balance, and less pressure on housing etc, but there simply wasn't.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019

RobD said:

RobD said:

nico679 said:

It's the health insurance that's the real issue and makes retirement to an EU country no longer viable unless you can afford private health insurance after retirement.

There's a lot of other problems too. I recently looked at doing a motorcycle trip through France, Spain and Portugal next year but the loss of reciprocal insurance rights makes it very risky for somebody (ie me) who can only get third party insurance cover. If I had an accident in Portugal that wasn't my fault my British insurance company won't pursue the Portuguese insurer and it'll be up to me to pursue through the Portuguese courts.
This discussion has been closed.