Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will Donald Trump become President before 2024? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,414
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

It's all true, but a bit of contrition from the man who propelled him there wouldn't go amiss.

You need to read the other quotes.

Cummings thought he would be in charge.
    Given a choice between Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings...
    I’m just fed up of these syphilis vs typhoid type debates.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

In the context of DeltaPoll and the tories being seen as behind on the economy..

The national insurance rise amidst a cost of living crisis is…political suicide?

Yup, I was told it gets worse.

Add the fact 'Billionaire Rishi Sunak is proposing increase your taxes and for other working families' and the support and the policy becomes even more unpopular.
    What about 'Ex Goldman Sachs banker, son in law of a billionaire and owner of a more than £1 million mansion in Yorkshire, £5 million pound townhouse in Kensington and luxury apartment in California is proposing to increase your NI paid?'

Surely that would sweep the Tories to victory if Boris goes?
    Nobody minds any of that, the red wall positively admire the likes of simon cowell and all those footbally guys for having loadsamoney
    Simon Cowell and footballers are not proposing to increase their tax and NI paid though.

Major only got a bounce over Thatcher in 1990 as he promised to scrap the poll tax not keep a tax rise
    How did that crap at penalties guy propose to fund the school meals then?

Bozza iz fukt.
    If people want to pay higher taxes they will vote Labour.

People who want lower taxes vote Tory and if the Tories raise their taxes too much those voters will stay home or go RefUK
    Would this be the very same Tory Party who is about to clobber workers with new taxes, when Labour opposes them?
    Labour will impose a wealth tax instead and increase income tax for the highest earners
    ydoethur said:

Highest score in T20I cricket 278/3

Highest score between long established Test nations 263/3

I'm thinking both those records are in even more danger than the spectators...

Rashid thanks you for you efforts in the cause.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,497
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

He can't get King though, who will reign over this whole innings.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,337
    From @thesun 20/1

With @afneil, Frost appeared to open negotiation publicly.

Would delight righty MPs but PM’s problems run deeper.

LF’s low tax, cut green crap, deregulate all the way agenda will rub up wing once called “the wets”.

And still soreness in No10 about exit. https://twitter.com/mrharrycole/status/1487873338722689029 https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1487888820095885320/photo/1
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    edited January 2022
    BETTING POST.

If anyone is interested in an ante-post World Snooker Championship bet, then I can see some value there.
    Just watched Zhao Xintong win the German Masters final 9-0. He's the only player to have 2 ranking titles this season and leads the money list for the season by a country mile.
    Despite this he is as long as 28-1 for the WC title. Widely 18s and 16s.
    Probably because he just isn't that well-known, hadn't done very much before this season, is a foreigner, has little Crucible experience, and the market will be low liquidity.
    He's playing like he knows he's the next big thing.
    Can be flaky, and vulnerable to early round defeats, without a top safety game. But, bloody hell can he pot and build big break after break.
    Plays like a young Ronnie.
    Anything longer than around 7's has to be value.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In the context of DeltaPoll and the tories being seen as behind on the economy..

The national insurance rise amidst a cost of living crisis is…political suicide?

Add the fact 'Billionaire Rishi Sunak is proposing increase your taxes and for other working families' and the support and the policy becomes even more unpopular.
    What about 'Ex Goldman Sachs banker, son in law of a billionaire and owner of a £1.5 million mansion in Yorkshire, £7 million pound townhouse in Kensington and luxury apartment in California is proposing to increase your NI paid?'

Wrong, there's a reason why Sunak's ratings are so much better than Johnson's.

But we all know once Johnson goes you'll give Sunak your slavish donation.
    I am currently reading Ashcroft's biography of Sunak, of course I would back him if Tory leader I just still believe Boris is still our best bet having won the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher in 2019.

There are also zero policy differences between Boris and Sunak I can see
    The problem is Boris is the problem

He is paralysing government with his bad judgement and arrogance, which has given labour the opening on the economy, while all Boris affirms is a NI rise

Cressida Dick total incompetence has filleted Sue Gray's report, and I detect a weariness amongst the population who want to hear how the conservatives are going to address their cost of living

I understand an announcement will be made shortly but that is the problem, shortly hands the initiative to labour and when an announcement is made labour will respond by saying we have been demanding help while the PM lies and attends parties whilst the rest of the nation was enduring lockdowns and many were grieving

You do not see the optics, but then you are blind to them and it does not do you any credit whatsoever to accept the awful portrait this paints if the conservative party and your beloved Boris

You are not very good at politics are you
    Sunak and Boris have just published a joint article backing the NI rise, there is not a tissue paper between them on policy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-wins-tug-of-war-over-national-insurance-hike-f85bzgs76
    Do you think they did that jointly out of brotherly lurve, or because one strongarmed the other? If the latter, which way round?
    Chancellor made it clear he'd resign if overruled I suspect.
    I think so too
    Whatever happens in the short term we're now entering a post Boris world. An acquaintance of mine has jumped ship from a job with Boris in No 10 to a job with Truss in the FCO. The Chancellor will increasingly dominate the domestic agenda because his resignation would bring down the government. The various back bench factions are searching the Augeian Stables for their dark horse.
    Yes, it is now a post Johnson world, just a question how long before Big Dog gets that last trip to the vet.
    I still think it slightly more likely than not that he gets PTS in a vonc this week. Mettez vos jeux.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,284

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

What about 'Ex Goldman Sachs banker, son in law of a billionaire and owner of a more than £1 million mansion in Yorkshire, £5 million pound townhouse in Kensington and luxury apartment in California is proposing to increase your NI paid?'

Nobody minds any of that, the red wall positively admire the likes of simon cowell and all those footbally guys for having loadsamoney
    Simon Cowell and footballers are not proposing to increase their tax and NI paid though.

Major only got a bounce over Thatcher in 1990 as he promised to scrap the poll tax not keep a tax rise

Bozza iz fukt.

People who want lower taxes vote Tory and if the Tories raise their taxes too much those voters will stay home or go RefUK
    Would this be the very same Tory Party who is about to clobber workers with new taxes, when Labour opposes them?
    Freezing the student loan repayment threshold when inflation is at 5%+
    I didn’t even know that - how does this stuff even get past the most junior policy nerd in the Treasury?
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What about 'Ex Goldman Sachs banker, son in law of a billionaire and owner of a £1.5 million mansion in Yorkshire, £7 million pound townhouse in Kensington and luxury apartment in California is proposing to increase your NI paid?'

I am currently reading Ashcroft's biography of Sunak, of course I would back him if Tory leader I just still believe Boris is still our best bet having won the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher in 2019.

He is paralysing government with his bad judgement and arrogance, which has given labour the opening on the economy, while all Boris affirms is a NI rise

Cressida Dick total incompetence has filleted Sue Gray's report, and I detect a weariness amongst the population who want to hear how the conservatives are going to address their cost of living

I understand an announcement will be made shortly but that is the problem, shortly hands the initiative to labour and when an announcement is made labour will respond by saying we have been demanding help while the PM lies and attends parties whilst the rest of the nation was enduring lockdowns and many were grieving

You do not see the optics, but then you are blind to them and it does not do you any credit whatsoever to accept the awful portrait this paints if the conservative party and your beloved Boris

Sunak and Boris have just published a joint article backing the NI rise, there is not a tissue paper between them on policy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-wins-tug-of-war-over-national-insurance-hike-f85bzgs76
    Do you think they did that jointly out of brotherly lurve, or because one strongarmed the other? If the latter, which way round?
    I think so too
    Whatever happens in the short term we're now entering a post Boris world. An acquaintance of mine has jumped ship from a job with Boris in No 10 to a job with Truss in the FCO. The Chancellor will increasingly dominate the domestic agenda because his resignation would bring down the government. The various back bench factions are searching the Augeian Stables for their dark horse.
    Yes, it is now a post Johnson world, just a question how long before Big Dog gets that last trip to the vet.
    I still think it slightly more likely than not that he gets PTS in a vonc this week. Mettez vos jeux.
    PTS? What has post traumatic stress got to do with it?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol. Johnson spent last week vacillating, as is his wont, writing two letters and the rest. Rishi made him an offer he couldn’t refuse and, lo, with a gun to the clown’s head the two of them put their names in blood on the article praising the unfair tax rise.

Your commentary is simply ill informed spin.

@HYUFD - You recently speculated that Morrison would get a boost because of the djokovic decision.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/pm-scott-morrison-faces-electoral-wipeout-with-support-plunging-according-to-newspoll/news-story/622c0a7dd7ca767f9a85180ef3ac957b

2PP is 56/44 in Labor's favour. That's a landside in Australian elections.

The voting intention 2PP polls had Labor ahead in 2019 too and were wrong.

The key is the preferred PM figure where Morrison is still ahead of Albanese. No party leader has won an Australian general election without being ahead on preferred PM and there are lots of DKs and Others who will likely vote Coalition in the end
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, it’s not looking good.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza iz fukt.

It's better than that. They're clobbering workers and employers.
    Indeed, a Jobs Tax at a fragile stage in the recovery. Grim.

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza iz fukt.

Indeed, a Jobs Tax at a fragile stage in the recovery. Grim.
    I think the words 'fucking stupid' would be more appropriate.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,249
    ydoethur said:

How bad have things got when Liam Livingstone is your best bowler?!!

Englands batting has been pretty patchy in this series. Unlike the bowling which has been a lot more consistent. Abysmal throughout.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,248
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

That post didn't date terribly well.

PS. And what's all this about Bairstow being the best WK in England? Good job the folk here bet on politics rather than cricket.
    Oh FFS, not Livingstone again.

At least it is a wicket I suppose
    ….

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

That post didn't date terribly well.
    Really? I would have said it aged beautifully and just as I intended.

Well, not just as intended. I wanted Rashid to get him, not the pie chucker.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too
    put to sleep

I quite like the idea of his getting pre traumatic stress, mind, knowing that Cazzie will be coming at him with WE HAD IT ALL YOU FAT BASTARD, 24/7 till the nisi comes through
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Englands batting has been pretty patchy in this series. Unlike the bowling which has been a lot more consistent. Abysmal throughout.
    Surely there must be a cricketing nation somewhere in the world bad enough that we stand at least a chance?
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lol. Johnson spent last week vacillating, as is his wont, writing two letters and the rest. Rishi made him an offer he couldn’t refuse and, lo, with a gun to the clown’s head the two of them put their names in blood on the article praising the unfair tax rise.

Yes and so no point replacing Boris with Sunak over the NI rise as both have backed it in blood in that article
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Surely there must be a cricketing nation somewhere in the world bad enough that we stand at least a chance?
    Maybe Ireland?
  • Village Facebook group trauma as young mother from next village posts that she's running for the Tories in May. Not the warmest reception with "up yer kilt" hurled at the one person posting in support before comments were locked...
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Had you considered the nationality of the poster you're replying to?

More strings to their bow than just the fitba
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and so no point replacing Boris with Sunak over the NI rise as both have backed it in blood in that article
    Equally no point in *not* replacing Boris in the hope that with him in place the rise will go away
    Just listened to Michael Gove telling
    @afneil
    that the electorate owes the government a ‘degree of Christian forgiveness’. WTF is he on?

https://twitter.com/RichardJMurphy/status/1487873746127970307
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    Interesting prog with Andrew Neil. What a drippy piece of work that Red Waller was. I thought Govey was going to force a tear for a moment but it just wouldn't come. But you cant fault him for trying. What a phoney! The cover shot of the crying woman on oxygen was the killer.

I'd like to see the Tories be forced to keep him on until the next election when they can all be booted out gracefully
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Equally no point in *not* replacing Boris in the hope that with him in place the rise will go away
    If anything the main beneficiary of that will be Truss with the membership but she polls worse with the public than Boris already overall anyway
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,200

Ive had a great day today. Was asked to come into office to work on some urgent stuff but of course there’s no heating on weekends. Had to sit in car for 30 mins to warm up as i couldn’t drive due to violently shaking with cold after a 7 hour stint.

Depressing.

Something has gone wrong if that's the case. I'd be making some polite enquiries about the situation if it happened to me.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338
    Roger said:

Interesting prog with Andrew Neil. What a drippy piece of work that Red Waller was. I thought Govey was going to force a tear for a moment but it just wouldn't come. But you cant fault him for trying. What a phoney! The cover shot of the crying woman on oxygen was the killer.

I'd like to see the Tories be forced to keep him on until the next election when they can all be booted out gracefully

No need for 'gracefully'; they've done nothing to deserve grace.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,337

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza iz fukt.

I didn’t even know that - how does this stuff even get past the most junior policy nerd in the Treasury?
    They're freezing everything they can so that inflation will do the job of increasing tax/cutting spending for them without them having to do it explicitly. See also the income tax thresholds.
    ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist
    Johnson's team are doing the "it took years to recover from toppling Thatcher" thing.
    Forgetting that had the vote gone the other way everyone who had backed Thatcher in the run up to 1992 would have to answer for supporting her catastrophic unpopularity.

https://twitter.com/ExStrategist/status/1487876340044947458
    David Herdson
    @DavidHerdson
    Replying to
    @ExStrategist
    Yes. They don't seem to be arguing the same about how long it took to get over toppling Iain Duncan Smith. Odd that.

And yes, Johnson, like Thatcher, is an undefeated general election winner. The question now, as then, is about the future. And political culture.

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1487877791718727685

Ive had a great day today. Was asked to come into office to work on some urgent stuff but of course there’s no heating on weekends. Had to sit in car for 30 mins to warm up as i couldn’t drive due to violently shaking with cold after a 7 hour stint.

Depressing.

Isn't that a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992 (no.7)?

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l24.pdf

The temperature inside the workplace should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. If reasonable comfort cannot be achieved because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable.

In other words, if they ask you to work in the office at weekends, they have to turn the heating on.
    That's what I was angling for.
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist
    Johnson's team are doing the "it took years to recover from toppling Thatcher" thing.
    Forgetting that had the vote gone the other way everyone who had backed Thatcher in the run up to 1992 would have to answer for supporting her catastrophic unpopularity.

Given Labour have kept all of their leaders up until the next general election, even Foot, Brown, Ed Miliband and Corbyn, we Tories do not need lectures on when we should remove our leaders
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,834

Village Facebook group trauma as young mother from next village posts that she's running for the Tories in May. Not the warmest reception with "up yer kilt" hurled at the one person posting in support before comments were locked...

A caring, more tolerant country than south of the border in action.
    Farooq said:

Depressing.

You do not have to put up with conditions like that.
    Plus, virtually certain you can get at the heating controls and punch the Advance button. If in doubt buy the janitor a drink this week to learn the secret.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317
    ydoethur said:

Depressing.

The temperature inside the workplace should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. If reasonable comfort cannot be achieved because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable.

In other words, if they ask you to work in the office at weekends, they have to turn the heating on.
    I appreciate the reply to my venting (and from others) but obviously it’s not worth making a stink over. The partner I was with seemed rather unbothered despite protestations so I’m not going to give myself a reputation as a wimp, unfortunately.
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

Given Labour have kept all of their leaders up until the next general election, even Foot, Brown, Ed Miliband and Corbyn, we Tories do not need lectures on when we should remove our leaders
    You've forgotten George Lansbury.
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Depressing.

You do not have to put up with conditions like that.
    Plus, virtually certain you can get at the heating controls and punch the Advance button. If in doubt buy the janitor a drink this week to learn the secret.
    My understanding is that only very senior people have access
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

You are not we Tories, I am. And that is your insuperable problem.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,618

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza iz fukt.

They're freezing everything they can so that inflation will do the job of increasing tax/cutting spending for them without them having to do it explicitly. See also the income tax thresholds.
    Yep. And no incentive to quell the waking dragon of inflation.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Bozza iz fukt.

Remember that "Employers NI" is actually based on the Employee's salary. If it is a tax on employers then why is it on the employee's payslip?

So really it is a disguised tax. NI, in realty, is nearer double the headline figure.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    They got Al (Scarface) Capone on tax. What about trump. I believe New York (or NYC?) is looking into it.

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

I appreciate the reply to my venting (and from others) but obviously it’s not worth making a stink over. The partner I was with seemed rather unbothered despite protestations so I’m not going to give myself a reputation as a wimp, unfortunately.
    Here's another question. Are they paying you overtime, or giving you a day of in lieu? Because if not, they seem to me to be very bad employers.
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

Lansbury continued as leader of the Parliamentary Labour Party until Attlee succeeded him in 1935.

Even the LDs have more killer instinct than Labour, as Charlie Kennedy and Sir Ming Campbell discovered
    Magnificent figures from Rashid. 2-17 off four.

A wonderful white ball bowler. It's a real shame he never quite showed his best in Tests.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

Here's another question. Are they paying you overtime, or giving you a day of in lieu? Because if not, they seem to me to be very bad employers.
    No they are not, but that’s the legal market at this level and I have zero leverage until I qualify.

I’m currently running at 140% “utilisation”. Gotta keep my head down.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too
    put to sleep

I quite like the idea of his getting pre traumatic stress, mind, knowing that Cazzie will be coming at him with WE HAD IT ALL YOU FAT BASTARD, 24/7 till the nisi comes through
    Can I just say that my eldest son has been gravely ill for 2 years with PTSD and anxiety following his attendance at ground zero in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake, hiding in his bedroom, unemployed and with no income, and even undergoing experimental treatment

In the last few weeks he has shown one or two signs of getting better but he is unlikely ever to be the same person

PTSD is not a joking matter
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

Even Lansbury continued as leader of the Parliamentary Labour Party until Attlee succeeded him in 1935
    He was forced out, at the party conference in advance of the 1935 election. Attlee was his deputy and replaced him as leader to see the party through the campaign.

So they haven't kept 'all of their leaders up until the next general election.' Lansbury like IDS never fought one as leader.
    Why did Mo not bowl himself out? They were really struggling with spin and Mo is bowling well. Really weird.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

Offer to make coffee but only use cold water and then shrug about how it must just have cooled down to room temp by the time you brought it to them.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

No they are not, but that’s the legal market at this level and I have zero leverage until I qualify.

Well, I hope as soon as you do qualify you find yourself a better employer. Those conditions are totally unacceptable and junior or not, you shouldn't have to live with their breaking of the law.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

It's like that in lots of jobs. The question is how much crap you are willing to put up with to get ahead.

I wasn't so keen, which is part of how I wound up in Leicester...
    Good grief Mo, just why? 180 nailed on now.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

Even Lansbury continued as leader of the Parliamentary Labour Party until Attlee succeeded him in 1935
    He was forced out, at the party conference in advance of the 1935 election. Attlee was his deputy and replaced him as leader to see the party through the campaign.

So they haven't kept 'all of their leaders up until the next general election.' Lansbury like IDS never fought one as leader.
    Lansbury resigned, the Labour Party did not vote him out in a leadership election or VONC

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

Personally I wouldn't make a stink over it. I'd get the work done without complaining but then ask some questions about it. Doing work in the freezing cold unnecessarily isn't good for productivity. Its not being a wimp it is just being assertive.
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

It's like that in lots of jobs. The question is how much crap you are willing to put up with to get ahead.

It was never like this in engineering, however I love my legal practice area much more, unfortunately? Fortunately? Who knows.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

Telling people that they have to treat you properly is the opposite of being a "wimp". Tell them no.
    You mean, unemployed but with his integrity intact?
    edited January 2022
    darkage said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

Personally I wouldn't make a stink over it. I'd get the work done without complaining but then ask some questions about it. Doing work in the freezing cold unnecessarily isn't good for productivity. Its not being a wimp it is just being assertive.
    We did get it done! :D but I’m not sure how productive I’m going to be tomorrow
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    edited January 2022
    The current government in Canada has been elected twice after losing the popular vote, in 2015 and 2019. Has that ever happened before in a Western democracy?
    edited January 2022
    Pace on, boundaries raining down again. Really don't understand England's tactics at all.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,491
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too
    put to sleep

To be fair to Big Dog, wifey hasn't exactly played with a straight bat. In fact Afghan puppies, wallpaper and parties in the flat all have the fragrant scent of Carrie's notepaper over them.
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

Lansbury resigned, the Labour Party did not vote him out in a leadership election or VONC
    You clearly have no idea of what happened, and since you never admit you're wrong (I haven't forgotten the Ullapool-Inverness ferry) there's not much point arguing with you.

Suffice it to say that he resigned as party leader in the same way Margaret Thatcher 'resigned' -the vote may not on the rules at the time have technically been a dismissal but the outcome left him no choice at all.
    Andy_JS said:

The current government in Canada has been elected twice after losing the popular vote, in 2015 and 2019. Has that ever happened before in a Western democracy?

Not that I am aware of.

Though to be fair to Trudeau most 3rd place NDP voters would vote for his Liberals over the Canadian Conservatives. They just only vote Liberal if they live in marginal Liberal held ridings
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917
    By the way. What happened to the Russia Report? Is Putin funding the Conservative Party?

Breaking:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

It was never like this in engineering, however I love my legal practice area much more, unfortunately? Fortunately? Who knows.
    Yes, it's a trade off.

Next time take in a fan heater.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

Lansbury continued as leader of the Parliamentary Labour Party until Attlee succeeded him in 1935.

Even the LDs have more killer instinct than Labour, as Charlie Kennedy and Sir Ming Campbell discovered
    What do you think about Johnson's prospects @HYUFD - will he stay or will he go?
  • ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

You clearly have no idea of what happened, and since you never admit you're wrong (I haven't forgotten the Ullapool-Inverness ferry) there's not much point arguing with you.

Suffice it to say that he resigned as party leader in the same way Margaret Thatcher 'resigned' -the vote may not on the rules at the time have technically been a dismissal but the outcome left him no choice at all.
    Ullapool to Inverness ferry ???

And £761 for two weeks in Benidorm for a family of four when that was the per person price

Absolutely no admittance of fake news
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

It's all true, but a bit of contrition from the man who propelled him there wouldn't go amiss.

You need to read the other quotes.

Cummings thought he would be in charge.
    Given a choice between Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings being in charge of anything from a whelk stall on up, give me Johnson every time. He gets sacked for lying, not for lying and failing.

Well, until now, obviously.
    Two cheeks, same sorry a***!

For me Johnson is the more gnarled spottier, idler, more feckless, dangerously incompetent buttock.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

10% Labour lead with Deltapoll.

Starmer+Reeves also beating Johnson+Sunak by 6% on the economy.

@bigjohnowls please explain!
    Impossible to explain

42% to 36% thinh SKS and Reeves would be best for country's finances despite the fact they have completely fooked Labours up to the extent the Party is on the verge of Bankruptcy.

Oh well I am sure they might change their mind when Labour files
    Corbyn lost a no confidence vote of his own MPs 197-40. Don't you think pointing out Starmer's shortcomings under the circumstances is a little ridiculous?
    172-40 to be exact.

Couldn't have been the figure you quoted as Labour only had 231 MPs at the time!
    I'm sure you're right but I got the figure from here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_leadership_of_Jeremy_Corbyn
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

Telling people that they have to treat you properly is the opposite of being a "wimp". Tell them no.
    If necessary. As a final escalation, I would walk out if they refused to treat me like a person. It's animals that belong in barns, not people.
    It’s probably just an oversight but it has left me very depressed
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

What do you think about Johnson's prospects @HYUFD - will he stay or will he go?
    As long as most polls keep the Labour lead under 10% and as long as the Gray and Met inquiries do not find anything criminal by him, he will stay
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

As long as most polls keep the Labour lead under 30% and as long as the Gray and Met inquiries do not find anything criminal by him, he will stay
    Define criminal
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

10% Labour lead with Deltapoll.

Starmer+Reeves also beating Johnson+Sunak by 6% on the economy.

@bigjohnowls please explain!
    Impossible to explain

42% to 36% thinh SKS and Reeves would be best for country's finances despite the fact they have completely fooked Labours up to the extent the Party is on the verge of Bankruptcy.

Oh well I am sure they might change their mind when Labour files
    Corbyn lost a no confidence vote of his own MPs 197-40. Don't you think pointing out Starmer's shortcomings under the circumstances is a little ridiculous?
    172-40 to be exact.

Couldn't have been the figure you quoted as Labour only had 231 MPs at the time!
    I'm sure you're right but I got the figure from here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_leadership_of_Jeremy_Corbyn
    Here is the original BBC report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36647458
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

Well, I hope as soon as you do qualify you find yourself a better employer. Those conditions are totally unacceptable and junior or not, you shouldn't have to live with their breaking of the law.
    If we have to put up with this woke revolution, then maybe it could usefully tackle attitudes like that exhibited by this employer.
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

So he was not removed in a VONC, as say IDS was, or a leadership election, as say Heath was then. He did not even face a leadership election like Thatcher or 1 VONC as May faced in 2018.

He resigned because Labour voted against his pacifist policy pre WW2 by backing sanctions against Italy which he opposed
    I reckon 2 more overs from Mo and one less from Mahmood and Jordon and the Windies could have been 20 runs light of that. As it is I think that is pretty competitive.
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

So he was not removed in a VONC, as say IDS was, or a leadership election, as say Heath was then. He did not even face a leadership election like Thatcher.

He resigned because Labour voted against his pacifist policy pre WW2
    But that is not what you said. You said, and I quote, 'Labour have kept all of their leaders up until the next general election, even Foot, Brown, Ed Miliband and Corbyn, we Tories do not need lectures on when we should remove our leaders.' You said nothing about mechanisms of removal. You are once again goalpost moving.

On this occasion the mechanism of removal was when a policy he had staked his leadership on was rejected following a highly personal attack on it from Ernest Bevin. That is, to anyone with a brain, which I fear it was obvious when I knew you slightly in Aber you didn't have, 'a removal.'

It's disturbing to think that basic logic did not form part of your education at either your private school or Warwick.

But it's not as disturbing as your lack of moral courage in admitting a mistake.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,469
    Easy win for Pidcock - surprising Iserbyt was so poor.
  • Everton appoint Frank Lampard
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

If necessary. As a final escalation, I would walk out if they refused to treat me like a person. It's animals that belong in barns, not people.
    That's not right. You mentioned the cold and they still didn't do anything about it. You have credit because you finished the work in your own time. Say you are happy to have got it done, but next time you need a heater. It's assertive. You don't get into an argument, a discussion or a negotiation. You make your comment and leave it at that.
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

So he was not removed in a VONC, as say IDS was, or a leadership election, as say Heath was then. He did not even face a leadership election like Thatcher.

He resigned because Labour voted against his pacifist policy pre WW2
    But that is not what you said. You said, and I quote, 'Labour have kept all of their leaders up until the next general election, even Foot, Brown, Ed Miliband and Corbyn, we Tories do not need lectures on when we should remove our leaders.' You said nothing about mechanisms of removal. You are once again goalpost moving.

On this occasion the mechanism of removal was when a policy he had staked his leadership on was rejected following a highly personal attack on it from Ernest Bevin. That is, to anyone with a brain, which I fear it was obvious when I knew you slightly in Aber you didn't have, 'a removal.'

It's disturbing to think that basic logic did not form part of your education at either your private school or Warwick.

But it's not as disturbing as your lack of moral courage in admitting a mistake.
    By point remains absolutely correct.

Labour may occasionally have voted against policies of the leadership at conference. Labour have never removed a single one of their leaders before a general election, either through a leadership election or a VONC, as the Tories have.

So I was right.

You can be as rude, patronising and pompous as you usually are. I do not give a toss. I just thank goodness I never had the misfortune to deal with you for any great length of time at Aber

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too
    put to sleep

Can I just say that my eldest son has been gravely ill for 2 years with PTSD and anxiety following his attendance at ground zero in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake, hiding in his bedroom, unemployed and with no income, and even undergoing experimental treatment

In the last few weeks he has shown one or two signs of getting better but he is unlikely ever to be the same person

Yes, well, I have had major depression for 40 years and have had more experimental treatments than you can shake a stick at, and I am very comfortable with treating it as a joking matter, and indeed very uncomfortable with this Ooooh we don't talk about that stuff. Horses for courses.
    I would have had Salt in at 3.

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Depressing.

I'd guess it was an oversight - surely no employer is going to do that deliberately. Need to let them know so that it doesn't happen for others in the future. There clearly needs to be some way of arranging for the heating to come on at weekends and overnight if the office is in use.
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist

Tory Party ruthlessness with dead wood is one of the reasons they have been electorally so successful.

Johnson is a liability.

Sunak's honeymoon would see Labour back in the twenties and Conservatives pushing 50. And don't give me your simulated polling statistics. Sunak's first proper poll as leader will be stratospheric. He is that impressive.

Not that I'd vote for the diminutive Brexiteer.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    Sounds ominous.

"Rosie Duffield expected to make decision on Labour future imminently
    Canterbury MP has accused party’s whips of doing little to protect her from what she called ‘obsessive harassment’"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/30/canterbury-mp-rosie-duffield-considering-quitting-labour
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Not that I am aware of.

Though to be fair to Trudeau most 3rd place NDP voters would vote for his Liberals over the Canadian Conservatives. They just only vote Liberal if they live in marginal Liberal held ridings
    Also worth pointing out. They didn't win a majority either time. So it probably has happened under PR. Just not under FPTP.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

On the 67 votes needed to convict in the Senate - is that two-thirds of the number of Senators elected, or twoPretty sure there is some precedent in Elizabethan England, when it was said that some Lords were prevented from voting against one of the Religious Settlement Acts. I don't think that Trump is necessarily well enough organised to make it happen - otherwise he'd have managed to stop the counting in November 2020, and would still be President - but arresting a dozen or so Democratic Senators might be the way to get it done.

The other thing about it is that, just as with the certification in January 2021, even if an Impeachment doesn't succeed in making Trump President, it achieves many other things. It forces Republican members of Congress to pick a side. It's a loyalty test, and another step to Trump maintaining his control of the Republicans. It disrupts the Democrats. And it pushes the boundary of what is seen to be acceptable so that greater liberties can be taken at a later date.

Toms said:

They got Al (Scarface) Capone on tax. What about trump. I believe New York (or NYC?) is looking into it.

IIRC both the Manhattan DA (which is a New York County rather than New York City office) and the NYS AG are conducting investigations into the Trump Organization’s and family’s financial affairs.

Although in terms of being the first to get Trump into the courtroom as a defendant, they may yet be trumped, so to speak, by the Fulton County, Georgia, DA who on May 2nd will be impaneling a Special Grand Jury to consider indictment for Trump’s election night shenanigans, asking the Georgia SoS to “find” him a few thousand more votes.
  • Ive had a great day today. Was asked to come into office to work on some urgent stuff but of course there’s no heating on weekends. Had to sit in car for 30 mins to warm up as i couldn’t drive due to violently shaking with cold after a 7 hour stint.

Depressing.

Get a cheapish fan heater or, better still, get work to provide a portable heater. Get a usb-powered blanket/throw. Maybe visit an outdoor/camping shop for eg electric socks, space blankets, thermal underwear and hats and so on. Also keep an emergency bag in the car as you live in the frozen north.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stereodog said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think so too
    put to sleep

Yes, well, I have had major depression for 40 years and have had more experimental treatments than you can shake a stick at, and I am very comfortable with treating it as a joking matter, and indeed very uncomfortable with this Ooooh we don't talk about that stuff. Horses for courses.
    It is not a joking matter for the person, the family and the loved ones deeply effected by it

Of course we should discuss it but joking that you wouldn't mind getting it is sad

I know one of the first responders to the Grenfell fire and I am certain he would find your joke distasteful especially in view of just how ill he is with PTSD and the sights and sounds he experienced at the scene of that tragedy
  • Andy_JS said:

Sounds ominous.

"Rosie Duffield expected to make decision on Labour future imminently
    Canterbury MP has accused party’s whips of doing little to protect her from what she called ‘obsessive harassment’"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/30/canterbury-mp-rosie-duffield-considering-quitting-labour

What does she want the whips to do, exactly? Sounds like she should consider quitting twitter. And possibly going to work from time to time.

Depressing.

Get a cheapish fan heater or, better still, get work to provide a portable heater. Get a usb-powered blanket/throw. Maybe visit an outdoor/camping shop for eg electric socks, space blankets, thermal underwear and hats and so on. Also keep an emergency bag in the car as you live in the frozen north.
    FFS... A space blanket? For work? In an office?

Tell them to effin' well make sure the heating is on next time!

This discussion has been closed.