Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi drops below 30% in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Dogshit production facility owners out in force tonight ...
  • Options

Johnson: "So whizz kids, with PPEs, what would really distract from the Gray report next week?"

PPE Spad: "I dunno, maybe fly out to Kiev and face down Putin in the middle of winter?"

Johnson: "Works for me. But make sure we use the government plane and not some shitty RAF thing."

On the other hand, Maggie in Paris 1990 was one of the factors that led to her fall- hard to motivate the troops into backing you from abroad.

But really, it comes back to what it's always come back to. Do enough Conservative MPs have enough of a backbone to tell BoJo to go? And Boris anticipated that when he put all those heads on spikes in autumn 2019.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    edited January 2022
    Just to encourage a bit of elevated thought (not my usual mo), watching Winterwatch and a big eff off sea eagle scaring off some corvids from a deer carcass. The Gaelic for sea eagle is Iolaire sùil na gréine – the eagle with the sunlit eye.

https://twitter.com/peatworrier/status/1486466881603133445?s=21
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Scott_xP said:

2/ There are no plans at this stage to release an underacted version of the Sue Gray report after the police finish their work.

Her conclusions about what happened at those more serious events being examined by the police do not automatically see the light of day

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1487160535921614849

Some fucker better leak this or there is no God in the sky.
    Johnson is absolutely taking the p*** out of us all. I can't recall a photograph that has ever made me more annoyed than the one of him thumbs up in the tracked CAT yesterday, when in reality he should be contritely applying to the Chiltern Hundreds.

Far be it for me to delve into Johnson's mind, but he's thinking to himself "I'm running rings around you dumb f****" isn't he?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Cummo seems somehow neutered, though. I wonder if the long arm of the law is frightening him. Not even any 'warnings' or slight intimations of anything, in particular.

If he's not frightened, though, he could do well with publicising a version that's not's full of "REDACTED" on Monday, if that's when it's coming out.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,073

Far be it for me to delve into Johnson's mind, but he's thinking to himself "I'm running rings around you dumb f****" isn't he?

His entire career...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Scott_xP said:

His entire career...
    Let us hope the Dom '4d chess' Cummings has thought this all through.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    What do me make of the Met coming in at the moment that it looked like the Gray report was about to be published. Of course these things can happen but it does feel fishy.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Extraordinarily weak from Parris. First, he claims Blunt and Fabricant as "friends;" secondly a boring metaphor about Thames barges turning with the tide, which reads a bit different when you remember Parris nearly lost his life in the Thames because he can't read a set of tide tables. And, substantively, he is asking where are the tories to shame Johnson into resigning, when it is bloody obvious to everyone else that the problem is precisely that Johnson is impervious to shame.
    Yes it wasn't his best but what else is there to say. It really feels like flogging a dead horse now. i hope he stays.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

To be fair to @HYUFD he does have a point about Swansea. For instance you could rent a two bedroom, four bed family house near the centre for about £600, even in August. Leaving you a tidy £400 to spend on heroin, I mean food and transport

What child would not be delighted with that?

Here it is:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/stop-looking-walk-to-the-city-centre.en-gb.html

“Dad, can we go to Swansea again? Please????”

Looks fine if you spend most of the day at the beach here https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x486e8b29af1ac0d3:0x391cdef6b09b718d!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOgxMXRZWSWGdDGrVmHNyP7DsQucJ8Z__bUE7hF=w260-h175-n-k-no!5sswansea beach - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOgxMXRZWSWGdDGrVmHNyP7DsQucJ8Z__bUE7hF&hl=.

Most of the evening can be spent eating out and on the town or seeing a show at Swansea Theatre.

Indeed if even Benidorm becomes too expensive in the height of summer, I suspect more and more families will spend their summers at beach resorts in the UK and maybe only go to Spain in the autumn or winter when it is cheaper but still warmer than the UK
    So, you're positing a world where wages in Southern Spain have outgrown the UK to such an extent that everyone is holidaying in Swansea?

Now, I might be wrong, but that doesn't sound exactly like a dream scenario.
    It does if you own a restaurant or bar or cafe or b and b or hotel in Swansea.

However more to do with the increase in price of flights abroad post Covid and the extra paperwork needed to travel to the EU post Brexit, which I believe you voted for whilst you currently live in California!
    "more to do with the increase in price of flights abroad post Covid" - just as a matter of interest, how has Covid increased flight prices? And why do you expect this to continue?

I mean, I get that there's (marginally) more paperwork involved due to Brexit - but that hasn't stopped Brits from travelling without problems to Morocco, Switzerland, Norway and - oh yes - the United States.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

Just to encourage a bit of elevated thought (not my usual mo), watching Winterwatch and a big eff off sea eagle scaring off some corvids from a deer carcass. The Gaelic for sea eagle is Iolaire sùil na gréine – the eagle with the sunlit eye.

https://twitter.com/peatworrier/status/1486466881603133445?s=21

Ooh yes, I remember being on Rum c. 1980 when they were frist being introduced - caged chicks. And more recently all on our own at the north end of Eigg with two of them soaring overhead like flying barn doors (it's surprisingly isolated, because of the high trap basalt cliffs behind where the eagles, presumably, nest).
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 793
    All I can do to help Boris, Gray and Dick out is to offer the scent from our child's dirty nappy bin to help cover up the smell from this whole affair. A much improved aroma I can assure them.
  • Options

What do me make of the Met coming in at the moment that it looked like the Gray report was about to be published. Of course these things can happen but it does feel fishy.

I suspect even Johnson apologists are scratching their heads and wondering how, what happened, just happened.

We are in the realms of Idi Amin's Uganda.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

You mean, the fact that the Keystone Cops refused to intercede for months, and then (under the ultimate authority of a commissioner who owes her career to Johnson) miraculously stepped in just fast enough to block publication of anything in the Gray report that anybody might actually want to read?

No, I see nothing remotely suspicious in that whatsoever.
  • Options

Johnson: "So whizz kids, with PPEs, what would really distract from the Gray report next week?"

PPE Spad: "I dunno, maybe fly out to Kiev and face down Putin in the middle of winter?"

Johnson: "Works for me. But make sure we use the government plane and not some shitty RAF thing."

Isn't the Shagmobile part of Crab Air anyway?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

To be fair to @HYUFD he does have a point about Swansea. For instance you could rent a two bedroom, four bed family house near the centre for about £600, even in August. Leaving you a tidy £400 to spend on heroin, I mean food and transport

Here it is:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/stop-looking-walk-to-the-city-centre.en-gb.html

Looks fine if you spend most of the day at the beach here https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x486e8b29af1ac0d3:0x391cdef6b09b718d!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOgxMXRZWSWGdDGrVmHNyP7DsQucJ8Z__bUE7hF=w260-h175-n-k-no!5sswansea beach - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOgxMXRZWSWGdDGrVmHNyP7DsQucJ8Z__bUE7hF&hl=.

Most of the evening can be spent eating out and on the town or seeing a show at Swansea Theatre.

Indeed if even Benidorm becomes too expensive in the height of summer, I suspect more and more families will spend their summers at beach resorts in the UK and maybe only go to Spain in the autumn or winter when it is cheaper but still warmer than the UK
    So, you're positing a world where wages in Southern Spain have outgrown the UK to such an extent that everyone is holidaying in Swansea?

However more to do with the increase in price of flights abroad post Covid and the extra paperwork needed to travel to the EU post Brexit, which I believe you voted for whilst you currently live in California!
    "more to do with the increase in price of flights abroad post Covid" - just as a matter of interest, how has Covid increased flight prices? And why do you expect this to continue?

I mean, I get that there's (marginally) more paperwork involved due to Brexit - but that hasn't stopped Brits from travelling without problems to Morocco, Switzerland, Norway and - oh yes - the United States.
    You're risking a banning with that "off topic" Mr @Mexicanpete
  • Options

On a personal note my 18 year old granddaughter has just phoned from Leeds University to say she has been awarded a place at Kyoto University in September, as part of her Italy and Japan languages and culture course.

She has learnt Japanese to a sufficient level in just 4 months

We are very proud of her

I have never achieved 14 likes and am overwhelmed how you have all reacted to our wonderful family news

As I said to my daughter just imagine the doors that will open with Kyoto University on your cv

In these days of depressing news it is a good news story and thank you to everyone
    Kyoto's nice, some very nice shrines and temples all along the river. Congrats to her.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014

Johnson visiting Kiev next week suggested by C4 News.

Tank driving opportunities abound for Johnson.

Ambushed by Chicken Kiev!
    The way the world has been in last two years I would not be surprised if he ends up in Kiev surrounded by Russians and effectively a hostage who Biden has to rescue.

Still, stops MPs reading too much of the Gray report eh? So it's a win.
    I would start a crowdfunder to pay Biden not to rescue him.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    21m
    NEW

* Boris Johnson will be handed a new redacted version of Sue Gray report in coming hours or days
    * This will be compliant with Met request nothing jeopardises their inquiry
    * This means it will be heavily redacted
    * Publication next week when the Commons is sitting

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1487148522508103680

Might get him sweating like Peppa's dad, wondering what is in the gaps...
    I suppose that the full report might leak?

More likely it'll be set on fire and chucked down a mineshaft (along with poor Sue Gray's reputation,) which will be backfilled with quick-setting concrete.
    Had anyone heard of Sue Gray before this, or knew anything of her reputation?
    Smithson jnr seemed to know a fair bit about her. Wasn't terribly complimentary.
    There's quite a lot of information out there for those who choose to dig. She is famously averse to putting things in writing, and hates both email and freedom of information requests.

If someone is up for a peerage, she gives a straight yes or no, without explanation over the phone, and her word is - apparently - final.

Very intriguing. I must say that Sue Gray is an excellent name for a civil servant.
  • Options

On a personal note my 18 year old granddaughter has just phoned from Leeds University to say she has been awarded a place at Kyoto University in September, as part of her Italy and Japan languages and culture course.

We are very proud of her

I have never achieved 14 likes and am overwhelmed how you have all reacted to our wonderful family news

As I said to my daughter just imagine the doors that will open with Kyoto University on your cv

In these days of depressing news it is a good news story and thank you to everyone
    Kyoto's nice, some very nice shrines and temples all along the river. Congrats to her.
    My wife and I have visited Japan twice and it is a fascinating country
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,080
    Carnyx said:

Isn't the Shagmobile part of Crab Air anyway?
    Boris’s choice

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QrM39m22jH4
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084
    London still the world's financial centre despite Brexit a new report finds. New York second and Singapore third

https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/1487036670352502785?s=20&t=QKAHDRNJPw0nkMy08IXqUg
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

I do apologise, I didn't realise I had off-topiced you. I didn't even read your post. Apologies for that too
  • Options

Like a Brexiter demonstration up the Thames.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    My phone has locked Google safesearch on. Apparently I don't have the authority to unlock it. Can anyone help?
    And, yes I have searched to find out how. Nowt seems to work.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

I do apologise, I didn't realise I had off-topiced you. I didn't even read your post. Apologies for that too
    I've read your post now, and was so impressed that I have removed the off topic
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Be ironic if Boris called the Met in to get out of essentially publishing the thing unredacted.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

As airlines have increased ticket prices to recoup the losses from all the grounded flights during the global Covid lockdown of 2020 and early 2021
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779

MattW said:

Here’s one for PB. The other night I had a dream that my heart was removed and subsequently I was on a waiting list for a transplant. I then proceeded to have a panic attack about not having a heart and then being unable to breathe. I then woke up and was relieved I did indeed still have my heart (to the best of my knowledge).

What could it mean??

You’re becoming a Tory as you get older?
    I thought he was, relatively speaking, about 22.

Young Hague Mk 2. There's a thought.
    Wasn’t he an engineer before being a lawyer? Closer to 30
    I am 30 next week yes yuck
    Nothing wrong with being 30.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited January 2022

We are very proud of her

There's so much to do in Kyoto and surrounds. I have been to Japan five times since 2012 (and been to Tokyo, Kanazawa and pretty much all the main cities in western Honshu and northern Kyushu) although the Kyoto National Museum has been closed when ever I've been there. Also a good base for lots of day trips to places like Nara, Kobe, Himeji and so on.

Japan is surprisingly good value for money if you go there for up to two weeks and get the rail pass.

I had a great trip there in 2019 but it's a shame I cannot currently go there. I do know an Oxford student who is currently studying in Kobe.

It is a shame only students etc are only able to go to Japan at the moment. I want to go back there as soon as possible. I would like to go to Nagoya and Gifu next.

I have tried learning Japanese over the best part of 10 years but it takes a lot of motivation. I am nowhere near fluent but know a reasonable amount of basic and intermediate Japanese and can probably recognise a few hundred kanji but need to continually practice with flashcards.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

Here’s one for PB. The other night I had a dream that my heart was removed and subsequently I was on a waiting list for a transplant. I then proceeded to have a panic attack about not having a heart and then being unable to breathe. I then woke up and was relieved I did indeed still have my heart (to the best of my knowledge).

What could it mean??

Roughly half the average PBer age?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

London still the world's financial centre despite Brexit a new report finds. New York second and Singapore third

https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/1487036670352502785?s=20&t=QKAHDRNJPw0nkMy08IXqUg

Of course. Most of Vladimir Putin's reputedly colossal fortune has probably been laundered through Londongrad for starters.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

As airlines have increased ticket prices to recoup the losses from all the grounded flights during the global Covid lockdown of 2020 and early 2021
    Business and economics doesn't work like that. Past losses mean nothing, only demand and the marginal cost of supply.

If one airline increased prices to 'recoup losses' the other would leave their price flat and run at 100% capacity utilisation, while the one who increased their prices would have half empty planes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

"according to a report by The City of London"

:joy:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

Business and economics doesn't work like that. Past losses mean nothing, only demand and the marginal cost of supply.

If one airline increased prices to 'recoup losses' the other would leave their price flat and run at 100% capacity utilisation, while the one who increased their prices would have half empty planes.
    SUNK COST FALLACY
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

All airlines have increased their prices, so no risk of that.

Same with many hotels which had to shut in the lockdown also increasing their prices now they can reopen to recoup losses
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

SUNK COST FALLACY
    Exactly.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

We are very proud of her

There's so much to do in Kyoto and surrounds. I have been to Japan five times since 2012 (and been to Tokyo, Kanazawa and pretty much all the main cities in western Honshu and northern Kyushu) although the Kyoto National Museum has been closed when ever I've been there. Also a good base for lots of day trips to places like Nara, Kobe, Himeji and so on.

Japan is surprisingly good value for money if you go there for up to two weeks and get the rail pass.

I had a great trip there in 2019 but it's a shame I cannot currently go there. I do know an Oxford student who is currently studying in Kobe.

It is a shame only students etc are only able to go to Japan at the moment. I want to go back there as soon as possible. I would like to go to Nagoya and Gifu next.

I have tried learning Japanese over the best part of 10 years but it takes a lot of motivation. I am nowhere near fluent but know a reasonable amount of basic and intermediate Japanese and can probably recognise a few hundred kanji but need to continually practice with flashcards.
    Chinese is so much easier. Well, Mandarin is anyways. You'd be fluent in a tenth of that time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The obvious place to get up to date financial information.

NO GUIDO. NO COMMENT
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

What could it mean??

Try being 60.
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

NO GUIDO. NO COMMENT
    Good to see Remoaners doing post Brexit Britain down as usual!
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Scott_xP said:

2/ There are no plans at this stage to release an underacted version of the Sue Gray report after the police finish their work.

Her conclusions about what happened at those more serious events being examined by the police do not automatically see the light of day

As mentioned, either Cummings will still leak something as promised when the 'report' is first published, or he's worried by the police aspect. I slightly lean towards the latter , but how can anyone really know.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Scott_xP said:
    The clown ejected them - first thing he did.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

What could it mean??

Try being 60.
    Try being 78
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Cressida Dick is, along with Amanda Spielman and Dido Harding, one of those people where you not merely take it as read they should resign for their lack of integrity and gross incompetence, but you wonder who they were sleeping with to ever be appointed to roles they were so manifestly unequal to in the first place.

In the case of Harding, we know. In the case of Spielman, everyone in education has a fair idea.

But Dick just baffles me. The worst decision Theresa May ever made, in no small and light field of competition. Surely she wasn't sleeping with May?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

As mentioned, either Cummings will still leak something as promised when the 'report' is first published, or he's worried by the police aspect. I slightly lean towards the latter , but how can anyone really know.
    The silence or otherwise of his blogs
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

What could it mean??

Try being 60.
    Try being 78
    Bearing in mind the alternative, it is my firm intention to find out how that feels in 39 years, two months and nine days.

Fabulous news about your granddaughter, by the way. What a lady.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

NO GUIDO. NO COMMENT
    You voted REMAIN!
    I still accepted the result and want post Brexit Britain to prosper
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

What could it mean??

Try being 60.
    Try being 78
    Bearing in mind the alternative, it is my firm intention to find out how that feels in 39 years, two months and nine days.

Fabulous news about your granddaughter, by the way. What a lady.
    And exceed it by some distance hopefully

And thank you - my daughters facebook page has been overwhelmed with congratulations
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

SUNK COST FALLACY
    Exactly.
    Always thought @HYUFD was fallacious. Generally.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234
    Morton v Raith Rovers is a cracking game with the mic picking up some very Malcolmesque vitriolic commentary from the crowd.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

SUNK COST FALLACY
    Exactly.
    Passenger numbers for international airline travel were still down 75% in 2021 on 2019 levels. The airlines had to recoup losses and have done it effectively as a cartel

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/2022-releases/2022-01-25-02/
  • Options
    Tres said:

Morton v Raith Rovers is a cracking game with the mic picking up some very Malcolmesque vitriolic commentary from the crowd.

Assume Gordon is in the away section !!!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

NO GUIDO. NO COMMENT
    It would be nice to see the report. Guido doesn't mention where he found it.
  • Options

Tres said:

Assume Gordon is in the away section !!!!!
    I dopn't suppose the BBC have learnt yet that there are no streets in Raith for the fans to be celebrating in.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited January 2022
    I believe that we have learned something about the psychology of the Parliamentary Conservative Party this week. They have realised that their fate is tied to Boris, however much they hate him and however absurd he becomes. They are unlikely to depose him for the following reasons.

Firstly, there is no successor with anything like Boris's charisma. It is easy to forget in the fog of events that Johnson reinvented the conservative party. The alliance on which his 2019 majority is based - the wealthy southern base and the 'red wall' was largely a product of his political style. There would be no credible 'continuity Boris' option in any leadership election. And no obvious alternative strategy to sustain a parliamentary majority, at present at least.

Secondly, the party descended in to freefall in early 2019 due to uncertainty of direction leading to catastrophic election results. This was an existential crisis that is haunting MPs to a greater degree than we perhaps acknowledge. Something they want to avoid repeating. However bad partygate and cakegate get, it is not an existential crisis such that would prompt the type of action that bought Boris in to power in the first place.

All the lies etc are just priced in. As he has probably got away with partygate, he can get away with anything he wants; just as long as he doesn't stray in to serious criminality. It will be the voters who ultimately decide the fate of him, and his version of the conservative party.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

I suspect even Johnson apologists are scratching their heads and wondering how, what happened, just happened.

Hyperbole post of the year to date.

According to the head of the specialist unit investigating the matter, it’s the sort of thing that would result in a Fixed Penalty Notice.

Not exactly Idi Amin’s Uganda is it
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    For all the clown image, the one thing that Boris has always understood- intuitively and brilliantly- is power. How to gain it and how to keep it. It's why some hate and fear him, and why others are happy to be the Number 2 to his Number 1.

Of course one of his first acts was to get rid of anyone with the potential to depose him.
  • Options
    darkage said:

I believe that we have learned something about the psychology of the Parliamentary Conservative Party this week. They have realised that their fate is tied to Boris, however much they hate him and however absurd he becomes. They are unlikely to depose him for the following reasons.

Firstly, there is no successor with anything like Boris's charisma. It is easy to forget in the fog of events that Johnson reinvented the conservative party. The alliance on which his 2019 majority is based - the wealthy southern base and the 'red wall' was largely a product of his political style. There would be no credible 'continuity Boris' option in any leadership election. And no obvious alternative strategy to sustain a parliamentary majority, at present at least.

Secondly, the party descended in to freefall in early 2019 due to uncertainty of direction leading to catastrophic election results. This was an existential crisis that is haunting MPs to a greater degree than we perhaps acknowledge. Something they want to avoid repeating. However bad partygate and cakegate is, it is not an existential crisis such that would prompt the type of action that bought Boris in to power in the first place.

All the lies etc are just priced in. As he has probably got away with partygate, he can get away with anything he wants; just as long as he doesn't stray in to serious criminality. It will be the voters who decide the fate of him, and his version of the conservative party.

So we're back, amongst other things, to a question I asked a few weeks ago. If most of the Tory Party won't move against him, what happens to pretty much the whole of the Scottish branch (plus a few other MPs) who have already publicly stated that they want his head on a plate?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    For all the clown image, the one thing that Boris has always understood- intuitively and brilliantly- is power. How to gain it and how to keep it. It's why some hate and fear him, and why others are happy to be the Number 2 to his Number 1.

Of course one of his first acts was to get rid of anyone with the potential to depose him.
    Indeed, only 3 Tory leaders and Tory PMs since WW2 have been global titans, Churchill, Thatcher and Boris.

Boris in 2019 also won the third biggest Tory majority after Thatcher and Macmillan in the last 70 years
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

SUNK COST FALLACY
    Exactly.
    Passenger numbers for international airline travel were still down 75% in 2021 on 2019 levels. The airlines had to recoup losses and have done it effectively as a cartel

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/2022-releases/2022-01-25-02/
    Someone may correct me, but I was under the impression airlines were brutally competitive. At the very least an oligopoly.

You may find that an equilibrium was reached as no airline could remain solvent without boosting prices. That's different.

Even if a small, challenger airline (think Norwegian or something) was able to keep prices low, their market power is small as their supply is rather sticky. They can't magic 1000 planes out of nowhere.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Indeed, only 3 Tory leaders and Tory PMs since WW2 have been global titans, Churchill, Thatcher and Boris.

Boris in 2019 also won the third biggest Tory majority after Thatcher and Macmillan in the last 70 years
    Mr Johnson a global titan?! You mean, competing with Mr Chaplin and Monsieur Hulot?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    pigeon said:

darkage said:

Secondly, the party descended in to freefall in early 2019 due to uncertainty of direction leading to catastrophic election results. This was an existential crisis that is haunting MPs to a greater degree than we perhaps acknowledge. Something they want to avoid repeating. However bad partygate and cakegate is, it is not an existential crisis such that would prompt the type of action that bought Boris in to power in the first place.

All the lies etc are just priced in. As he has probably got away with partygate, he can get away with anything he wants; just as long as he doesn't stray in to serious criminality. It will be the voters who decide the fate of him, and his version of the conservative party.

So we're back, amongst other things, to a question I asked a few weeks ago. If most of the Tory Party won't move against him, what happens to pretty much the whole of the Scottish branch (plus a few other MPs) who have already publicly stated that they want his head on a plate?
    Some of them will peel off - its already started with the Wakeford defection. I would guess it will be a bit like Labour in the Corbyn years. Won't be significant enough to change overall direction.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    MrEd said:

According to the head of the specialist unit investigating the matter, it’s the sort of thing that would result in a Fixed Penalty Notice.

Another one who doesn't see the point. It's the lying to parliament and the Queen and the British people is the issue not fpn. Involving the police effectively strings this out so long that any opposition in the Tories is snuffed out.
  • Options
    Here's one possible reason for a conquest of the Ukraine: to top Russia's population back up. The country is literally dying. From AFP, via Yahoo:

Russia's population declined by more than one million people in 2021, the statistics agency Rosstat reported Friday, a historic drop not seen since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Ongoing demographic woes have been exacerbated by the pandemic with Rosstat figures showing more than 660,000 had died with coronavirus since health officials recorded the first case in the country.

The new figures continue a downward trend from the previous year when Russia's population fell by more than half a million.

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-loses-million-people-historic-210102808.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MrEd said:

Do you physically enjoy being fucked in the arse by Big Men?

Don't answer if you find the question in any way offensive. I only ask because it's so clear from your Trump and Johnson position that it is metaphorically your favoured position
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

You know what happened to the Titans? They got imprisoned in Tartarus after they were defeated by things one them had spawned but could not control.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

darkage said:

Well, quite. Bit of a contradiction there in the Scottish CUP. I mean, they've been so scathing about him (except for a few MPs) that it's not entirely convincing of them to then turn round and tell us, "Yes, this chap knows so much better than you Jocks how to rule Scotland because he's British and London-based and automatically understands how to rule you plebs". No wonder they are tearing their collective hair out.

And even the Unionist and elderly right wing Scots really, really hate his style. I well remember one when he was elected, staring despairingly into space and asking "What's this clown doing being prime minister??"
  • Options
    After making such a fuss over all the Crown Office/Salmond stuff, and sticking the head above the parapet on Johnson, Ross is going to have CSU the Tories up here.

It's been a catastrophic few weeks for Whitehall/Westminster/UK establishment. It's basically Washington down there; just need them to appoint JRM to the Supreme Court and it's over.

(Labour have to be careful over the boundary changes. If they claim gerrymandering on them then the UK is finished as a sane democracy)
  • Options
    MrEd said:

There has been much debate from legal types today suggesting that it is very unusual for redaction of a report that has no bearing on a simple penalty charge issue. I also find it bizarre that the Met have announced that they have no intention of looking at any perverting the course of justice issues. Surely if that is where the evidence takes them they should pursue it, but no not interested. The pursuance of that lead would make sense however, for the report to be redacted.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

After making such a fuss over all the Crown Office/Salmond stuff, and sticking the head above the parapet on Johnson, Ross is going to have CSU the Tories up here.

It's been a catastrophic few weeks for Whitehall/Westminster/UK establishment. It's basically Washington down there; just need them to appoint JRM to the Supreme Court and it's over.

(Labour have to be careful over the boundary changes. If they claim gerrymandering on them then the UK is finished as a sane democracy)

But if the SCUP split they've lost half the battle in pretending that the UK is a single polity.They havce basically admitted, in the most brutal fashion, that that is simply not true.

Labour, in contrast, remain a single GB-wide party (possibly UK wide, tecnnically) and will be left as the sole true Unionists, Ms Ballantyne's lot aside.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Fortunately, perhaps, Mogg isn't eligible and while the government can veto nominees they can't nominate their own candidates.

You had me baffled on your first paragraph. I was wondering what California State Uni had to do with Douglas Ross...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    darkage said:

Secondly, the party descended in to freefall in early 2019 due to uncertainty of direction leading to catastrophic election results. This was an existential crisis that is haunting MPs to a greater degree than we perhaps acknowledge. Something they want to avoid repeating. However bad partygate and cakegate get, it is not an existential crisis such that would prompt the type of action that bought Boris in to power in the first place.

All the lies etc are just priced in. As he has probably got away with partygate, he can get away with anything he wants; just as long as he doesn't stray in to serious criminality. It will be the voters who ultimately decide the fate of him, and his version of the conservative party.

There are rare occasions on here when you come across a contribution that hits the nail firmly on the head and this is one of those said occasions.

In truth, Johnson has redefined the party through his victory as much as Margaret Thatcher did through hers. Ultimately, of course, that didn't save her when the headwinds became personal and the Party knew she would drag them all to disaster (obviously, no one foresaw the true catastrophe waiting down the road).

The other truth is pale imitations get nowhere - a change of leader isn't just in name only. The next Conservative leader will likely be the polar opposite of Boris Johnson in terms of character and temperament if not necessarily policy. Trying to out-Boris Boris is a non-starter.

Longer term, what is the Conservative Party going to look like post-Boris? It's clear Sunak is in the mould of watered down Thatcherism and he clearly worships at the altar of the Laffer Curve even if public services will do badly under him. I don't know (genuinely) what Truss represents but if I listen to some of the 2019 intake, I don't hear the zeal of the Johnsonian convert - what I hear is One Nation Conservatism which never seems to go out of fashion and will make another comeback once this lot have gone.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Here's one possible reason for a conquest of the Ukraine: to top Russia's population back up. The country is literally dying. From AFP, via Yahoo:

Russia's population declined by more than one million people in 2021, the statistics agency Rosstat reported Friday, a historic drop not seen since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Ongoing demographic woes have been exacerbated by the pandemic with Rosstat figures showing more than 660,000 had died with coronavirus since health officials recorded the first case in the country.

The new figures continue a downward trend from the previous year when Russia's population fell by more than half a million.

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-loses-million-people-historic-210102808.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

That's why the Scottish Defence Forces will immediately annex Corby post independence.

Full of Scots and one of the fastest growing bits of England. We'll knock out @HYUFD's tank division just after sacking York (again).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

Well, quite. Bit of a contradiction there in the Scottish CUP. I mean, they've been so scathing about him (except for a few MPs) that it's not entirely convincing of them to then turn round and tell us, "Yes, this chap knows so much better than you Jocks how to rule Scotland because he's British and London-based and automatically understands how to rule you plebs". No wonder they are tearing their collective hair out.

And even the Unionist and elderly right wing Scots really, really hate his style. I well remember one when he was elected, staring despairingly into space and asking "What's this clown doing being prime minister??"
    Eabhal said:

I hold out some vague hope that the Scottish Tories will throw their hands up in the air and sue for divorce from the Westminster party, although admittedly this still seems highly unlikely.

I mean, Boris Johnson has decided to call himself the Minister for the Union, after all. He doesn't care about the Union, so this wouldn't bother him in the slightest: he does an excellent impression of a narcissistic sociopath who cares about nothing and nobody except himself, after all. But all the same, it would be amusing, in a grimly ironic kind of a way, if he succeeded in ripping another hole in the state AND smashing up his own party in such a fashion.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Mr Johnson a global titan?! You mean, competing with Mr Chaplin and Monsieur Hulot?
    He got Brexit done, the biggest policy change of any Tory PM after Thatcher's economic reforms and winning the Cold War and Churchill's winning world war 2.

Boris is also probably the most recognised western world leader after the POTUS and he is still far more charismatic and dynamic than Biden
  • Options
    stodge said:

darkage said:

There are rare occasions on here when you come across a contribution that hits the nail firmly on the head and this is one of those said occasions.

In truth, Johnson has redefined the party through his victory as much as Margaret Thatcher did through hers. Ultimately, of course, that didn't save her when the headwinds became personal and the Party knew she would drag them all to disaster (obviously, no one foresaw the true catastrophe waiting down the road).

The other truth is pale imitations get nowhere - a change of leader isn't just in name only. The next Conservative leader will likely be the polar opposite of Boris Johnson in terms of character and temperament if not necessarily policy. Trying to out-Boris Boris is a non-starter.

Longer term, what is the Conservative Party going to look like post-Boris? It's clear Sunak is in the mould of watered down Thatcherism and he clearly worships at the altar of the Laffer Curve even if public services will do badly under him. I don't know (genuinely) what Truss represents but if I listen to some of the 2019 intake, I don't hear the zeal of the Johnsonian convert - what I hear is One Nation Conservatism which never seems to go out of fashion and will make another comeback once this lot have gone.
    At this rate, it will look something like the Liberal Democrats. At least in terms of numbers of seats...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

They should be damn grateful it is Boris still refusing indyref2 and under Boris they still have the second highest number of Tory MPs from Scotland since 1992
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Fortunately, perhaps, Mogg isn't eligible and while the government can veto nominees they can't nominate their own candidates.

You had me baffled on your first paragraph. I was wondering what California State Uni had to do with Douglas Ross...
    Complacency.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

He got Brexit done, the biggest policy change of any Tory PM after Thatcher's economic reforms and winning the Cold War and Churchill's winning world war 2.

Boris is also probably the most recognised western world leader after the POTUS and he is still far more charismatic and dynamic than Biden
    That's like claiming that Anthony Eden was a global tital for Suez. And a brain-dead swede with its leaves cut off would recognide Mr Johnson. He's taken so much care over his image that of course anyone would recognise him. Doesn't mean they rate him.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

So is James Milner.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Brexit was done the moment Theresa triggered Article 50. Boris merely cobbled together a crap trade deal.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    MrEd said:

This is very similar to the line that it's all about cake. It's not about cake or penalty notices, but basic principles of governmental accountability, the consent of the governed during a pandemic lockdown, and the rule of law.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    darkage said:

Yes, the Tories have sold their souls to Johnsonian kleptocracy and populism, and will stick with him until the Election. It is going to be an uncomfortable couple of years for them.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    Boris is not dynamic.

Everything we know about his private behaviour suggests he is lazy, sloppy, disorganised and indecisive.

However, his hollering walrus impression gives the suggestion that he is doing something, and that seems to be enough for Tory backbenchers and appeasers of corruption like @HYUFD and @Sandpit.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

But if the SCUP split they've lost half the battle in pretending that the UK is a single polity.They havce basically admitted, in the most brutal fashion, that that is simply not true.

Labour, in contrast, remain a single GB-wide party (possibly UK wide, tecnnically) and will be left as the sole true Unionists, Ms Ballantyne's lot aside.
    You're right. It's interesting that Murdo Fraser is so keen though, he's a proper old fashioned Tory (or at least sounds/looks like one).

I noticed that Sturgeon went along with Met corruption on twitter. Feeling very confident, particularly given her past as solicitor and the record Police Scotland.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

Eabhal said:

I hold out some vague hope that the Scottish Tories will throw their hands up in the air and sue for divorce from the Westminster party, although admittedly this still seems highly unlikely.

I mean, Boris Johnson has decided to call himself the Minister for the Union, after all. He doesn't care about the Union, so this wouldn't bother him in the slightest: he does an excellent impression of a narcissistic sociopath who cares about nothing and nobody except himself, after all. But all the same, it would be amusing, in a grimly ironic kind of a way, if he succeeded in ripping another hole in the state AND smashing up his own party in such a fashion.
    Well, quite. The SCUP are currently damned whatever they do.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite a fascinating definition of global titan
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    stodge said:

darkage said:

Who in the top tier of the current Tory Cabinet is more One Nation than Boris economically? Nobody. Sunak and Patel and Zahawi and Raab and Rees Mogg were all Leavers, Truss was a Remainer but is going hard to show she is even more of a Brexiteer than the Brexiteers.

Of the other leadership contenders Hunt and Tugendhat were both Remainers and are unlikely to ever win the party membership vote. So expect the Tories to move even further to the right once Boris goes
  • Options
    Brexit is still the turd in the toilet bowl.
    I see though that at least Brexiters have moved on from sunlit uplands to “the negative effects are small”.

Reminds me of how global warming is no longer denied, and that skeptics have moved on to criticise various carbon reduction policies.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

You're right. It's interesting that Murdo Fraser is so keen though, he's a proper old fashioned Tory (or at least sounds/looks like one).

I noticed that Sturgeon went along with Met corruption on twitter. Feeling very confident, particularly given her past as solicitor and the record Police Scotland.
    This wine is potent.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite a fascinating definition of global titan
    Mussolini was very recognisable and had all sorts of unlikely admirers, for a period.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Mr Fraser is certainly an old fashioned one in such things as this tweet:

https://twitter.com/murdo_fraser/status/721694551770034176

And more seriously he did want to go back to the old days of the Unionist Party being independent of London. Only to get a knee in the goolies in the leadership election when Ms Davidson won.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

Eabhal said:

They should announce some sort of temporary suspension and sit separately in Parliament.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

darkage said:

Eabhal said:

They should announce some sort of temporary suspension and sit separately in Parliament.
    About as credible as the "Labour" councillors in Aberdeen ... I still wonder who owns the money and teh assets.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Brexit was done the moment Theresa triggered Article 50. Boris merely cobbled together a crap trade deal.
    Nope, it was only done when Boris got the majority needed to get Brexit through Parliament
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Mr Fraser is certainly an old fashioned one in such things as this tweet:

https://twitter.com/murdo_fraser/status/721694551770034176

And more seriously he did want to go back to the old days of the Unionist Party being independent of London. Only to get a knee in the goolies in the leadership election when Ms Davidson won.
    What a roaster.
  • Options
    In truth, Boris is regarded as a joke around the world, to the extent that matters.
This discussion has been closed.