Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi drops below 30% in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,012
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

To be fair to @HYUFD he does have a point about Swansea. For instance you could rent a two bedroom, four bed family house near the centre for about £600, even in August. Leaving you a tidy £400 to spend on heroin, I mean food and transport

What child would not be delighted with that?

Here it is:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/stop-looking-walk-to-the-city-centre.en-gb.html

“Dad, can we go to Swansea again? Please????”

Looks fine if you spend most of the day at the beach here https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x486e8b29af1ac0d3:0x391cdef6b09b718d!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOgxMXRZWSWGdDGrVmHNyP7DsQucJ8Z__bUE7hF=w260-h175-n-k-no!5sswansea beach - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOgxMXRZWSWGdDGrVmHNyP7DsQucJ8Z__bUE7hF&hl=.

Most of the evening can be spent eating out and on the town or seeing a show at Swansea Theatre.

Indeed if even Benidorm becomes too expensive in the height of summer, I suspect more and more families will spend their summers at beach resorts in the UK and maybe only go to Spain in the autumn or winter when it is cheaper but still warmer than the UK
    So, you're positing a world where wages in Southern Spain have outgrown the UK to such an extent that everyone is holidaying in Swansea?

Now, I might be wrong, but that doesn't sound exactly like a dream scenario.
    The joys of Brexit...
    Never mind, you can always nip over to Skegness for your hols. An old Leicester tradition.

PS: Never got there myself. Could be splendid for all I know.
    It's some time since I visited, but Skeggy isn't terribly appealing. I used to have friend whose father managed the Butlins there.

Gibraltar Point a couple of miles away is delightful though, seals, sand dunes and barely anyone there. Like the best bits of North Norfolk (the far east, as it is known in Leicester).

I did have a weekend in Swansea once, in February. It was rather sunny and we went to a lovely beach with the boys, and lunch at a rather good Italian run cafe. The Mumbles is a glorious bit of coast, and just outside the city
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,209

I’m feeling old.

I referenced the film “Twelve Monkeys” in a conversation at work. My colleague pointed out he was 1 when it came out…

Never even heard of it
    LOL
  • Options

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity Big G. Your family must be chuffed. All the best to her!

We are overjoyed

She was top student in her school so maybe not surprising, but still a wonderful achievement and her Mum and Dad are looking forward to a trip to Japan, a great country to visit, next year
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Here’s one for PB. The other night I had a dream that my heart was removed and subsequently I was on a waiting list for a transplant. I then proceeded to have a panic attack about not having a heart and then being unable to breathe. I then woke up and was relieved I did indeed still have my heart (to the best of my knowledge).

What could it mean??

You’re becoming a Tory as you get older?
  • Options

I’m feeling old.

I referenced the film “Twelve Monkeys” in a conversation at work. My colleague pointed out he was 1 when it came out…

Stick with Casablanca.

Then ignorance is just ignorance.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    darkage said:

Got to day 5 of Covid. Took another LFT test in the expectation that I would be free in a couple of days time, but thats not going to happen. I am still infectious. Makes sense as I am feeling a bit rough, although the main illness has passed.

Coming to terms with the fact that I may need to self isolate for the full 11 days. (10 days plus the day of test).

Obviously I'm glad i'm not welded in to an apartment block, but this requirement to self isolate is highly draconian and intrusive.

Given that the virus is absolutely everywhere, and isn't killing people at anything like the numbers of 2020; I would suggest these rules are excessive and need to be quickly scrapped.

If they aren't scrapped people will start to ignore and disobey them. I could have avoided the whole thing by just not taking a covid test and regarding the episode as a bout of winter flu, which is what it would normally be described as.

Its 10 days since first symptoms isn’t it? Not the first test. At least it was in England anyway.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    Surely more important that Cressida Dick resigns than Johnson. To watch the police squirming around like a beached whale is just embarrassing. One by one the great British institutions are being trashed and to make it worse we are being laughed at all over Europe.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Roger said:

Surely more important that Cressida Dick resigns than Johnson. To watch the police squirming around like a beached whale is just embarrassing. One by one the great British institutions are being trashed and to make it worse we are being laughed at all over Europe.

How far back does their relationship go ? ( Not that I'm suggesting Ms Dick is Jennifer Arcuri, ofcourse, in case any cps lawyers are on hand to issue fixed penalty notices ) .
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530

darkage said:

Got to day 5 of Covid. Took another LFT test in the expectation that I would be free in a couple of days time, but thats not going to happen. I am still infectious. Makes sense as I am feeling a bit rough, although the main illness has passed.

Coming to terms with the fact that I may need to self isolate for the full 11 days. (10 days plus the day of test).

Obviously I'm glad i'm not welded in to an apartment block, but this requirement to self isolate is highly draconian and intrusive.

Given that the virus is absolutely everywhere, and isn't killing people at anything like the numbers of 2020; I would suggest these rules are excessive and need to be quickly scrapped.

If they aren't scrapped people will start to ignore and disobey them. I could have avoided the whole thing by just not taking a covid test and regarding the episode as a bout of winter flu, which is what it would normally be described as.

Its 10 days since first symptoms isn’t it? Not the first test. At least it was in England anyway.
    I don’t think any one knows anymore, it’s changed so often...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    Andy_JS said:

"Why on earth would the Metropolitan Police ask Sue Gray to redact key parts of her independent report?
    TheSecretBarrister, January 28, 2022"

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2022/01/28/why-on-earth-would-the-metropolitan-police-ask-sue-gray-to-redact-key-parts-of-her-independent-report/

Interference from Dick?
  • Options
    darkage said:

I am on day 2, and isolating is a bit tedious. I may be able to work from Tuesday, depending on LFTs and my managers risk assessment.

I don't particularly want to give it to vulnerable people, so will carry on isolating until safe. Mrs Foxy has a negative PCR so can return to work on Monday, subject to daily LFT. The Trust is pretty desperate for staff.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,785

Here’s one for PB. The other night I had a dream that my heart was removed and subsequently I was on a waiting list for a transplant. I then proceeded to have a panic attack about not having a heart and then being unable to breathe. I then woke up and was relieved I did indeed still have my heart (to the best of my knowledge).

What could it mean??

Nothing at all. Perhaps @Leon was musing about aztecs on here and your subconscious ran with the idea of hearts being ripped out for shits and giggles... Dream analysis really is a load of piffle.
    It really isn’t a load of piffle. Dreams reveal subconscious fears, and desires, at the very least. Which is important stuff. They possibly go further than that, and the most important can reveal solutions to conscious mental obstacles

Of course some are just meaningless, or expressive of mere appetite. Wet dreams etc
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,925
    edited January 2022

What could it mean??

I thought he was, relatively speaking, about 22.

Young Hague Mk 2. There's a thought.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Actually, you referred to it.
    Actually I referenced it.

Try google if you don’t know what a word means.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    edited January 2022
    Roger said:

In Italy which elected Berlusconi multiple times and who faced a criminal conviction? In France where Le Pen is on over 40% in the runoff polling now and numerous Presidents have been hit by scandal? In Germany where there is a government cosying up to Putin? In Ukraine where there is a government under threat by Putin? In Poland which has a rightwing nationalist government? In Spain which has a hard right party on the rise and riven by regional divisions? I doubt it
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

darkage said:

Not according to this. It says the day the symptoms started or positive test plus the next 10 days, so 11 days in total.

How long to self-isolate

If you test positive, your self-isolation period includes the day your symptoms started (or the day you had the test, if you did not have symptoms) and the next 10 full days.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/
  • Options
    edited January 2022

What could it mean??

You're worried about losing something fundamental or central, what makes you distinctly you. It sounds like part of your subconscious is telling you to be a bit more judicious and careful about this.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,785

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity Big G. Your family must be chuffed. All the best to her!

We are overjoyed

She was top student in her school so maybe not surprising, but still a wonderful achievement and her Mum and Dad are looking forward to a trip to Japan, a great country to visit, next year

I lived in Kyoto for a few months, in the 1990s. By the Philosopher’s Footpath. What a wonderful place

The most historic city in Japan, with one of the very best universities. That’s a great achievement and congrats
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

To be fair to @HYUFD he does have a point about Swansea. For instance you could rent a two bedroom, four bed family house near the centre for about £600, even in August. Leaving you a tidy £400 to spend on heroin, I mean food and transport

Here it is:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/stop-looking-walk-to-the-city-centre.en-gb.html

Looks fine if you spend most of the day at the beach here https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x486e8b29af1ac0d3:0x391cdef6b09b718d!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOgxMXRZWSWGdDGrVmHNyP7DsQucJ8Z__bUE7hF=w260-h175-n-k-no!5sswansea beach - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOgxMXRZWSWGdDGrVmHNyP7DsQucJ8Z__bUE7hF&hl=.

Most of the evening can be spent eating out and on the town or seeing a show at Swansea Theatre.

Indeed if even Benidorm becomes too expensive in the height of summer, I suspect more and more families will spend their summers at beach resorts in the UK and maybe only go to Spain in the autumn or winter when it is cheaper but still warmer than the UK
    So, you're positing a world where wages in Southern Spain have outgrown the UK to such an extent that everyone is holidaying in Swansea?

The joys of Brexit...
    Never mind, you can always nip over to Skegness for your hols. An old Leicester tradition.

I've been there. It's so bracing.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 597
    The centre of Swansea is an undeniable dump. But The Mumbles is also part of Swansea.....and is just next to Gower (which is slso technically part of Swansea) and which is spectacular.

Ps it is The Mumbles and Gower - not Mumbles and The Gower
  • Options
    MattW said:

What could it mean??

Wasn’t he an engineer before being a lawyer? Closer to 30
  • Options

What could it mean??

Nothing at all. Perhaps @Leon was musing about aztecs on here and your subconscious ran with the idea of hearts being ripped out for shits and giggles... Dream analysis really is a load of piffle.
    Hmmm.

New lawyer dreams of heart being excised.

I wonder what that means?

:smile:
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    8m
    If senior officers within the Met can't get the basics right on an investigation containing this level of national interest what hope does any ordinary member of the public have when it comes to day to day offences.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1487143946174152704

===

Looking like the Met will need a complete clear out when we finally get rid of the greased piglet. Like every other institution in the UK at this rate except so far the supreme court and the Palace.

I think there's a good case for breaking the Met up. As a great monolith, covering a population larger than many European countries, it may simply be unreformable.

Break it into pieces and put each under new senior management drawn from county constabularies with better reputations.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    edited January 2022
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

It does if you own a restaurant or bar or cafe or b and b or hotel in Swansea.

However more to do with the increase in price of flights abroad post Covid and the extra paperwork needed to travel to the EU post Brexit, which I believe you voted for whilst you currently live in California!
  • Options

MattW said:

What could it mean??

It feels like 22 from here !
  • Options
    Leon said:

What could it mean??

It really isn’t a load of piffle. Dreams reveal subconscious fears, and desires, at the very least. Which is important stuff. They possibly go further than that, and the most important can reveal solutions to conscious mental obstacles

Of course some are just meaningless, or expressive of mere appetite. Wet dreams etc
    Sorry, I’m a scientist. I like things that can be tested, proved or disproved, not just fake scientists making up any shit they like.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

MattW said:

What could it mean??

I am 30 next week yes yuck
  • Options

MattW said:

What could it mean??

You’re less than half way through your life. Probably.
  • Options

On a personal note my 18 year old granddaughter has just phoned from Leeds University to say she has been awarded a place at Kyoto University in September, as part of her Italy and Japan languages and culture course.

She has learnt Japanese to a sufficient level in just 4 months

We are very proud of her

Sounds great, congratulations. The most impressive part is learning Japanese in 4 months. I've tried to learn other languages throughout my life and got absolutely nowhere.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,858
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

Quite frankly, if that kind of quality holiday accommodation is already available in Swansea at these incredible prices, then the Spanish tourist industry needs to get a wiggle on. The world is changing

Indeed you can get actual hotels for about £300 a week in August in outer Manchester

Like this:

https://tinyurl.com/y7nzsofj

Admittedly it does only have a 3/10 rating from booking.com with some actually quite critical reviews:

Very poor
    Liked · Competitive on price.
    Disliked · Genuinely one of the worst places I have stayed anywhere in the UK. Dilapidated and unclean, with a tense atmosphere leading to a general feeling of a lack of safety.

Liked · the only good thing was the clean bathroom
    Disliked · first i was surprised by the amount charged to deposit the room key (£ 20). the room was stinking a lot of cigarettes, it was difficult to sleep with the smell, when i managed to sleep there was a noise in the next room, the noise remained for hours, some woman was screaming and hitting the wall of my room. when i woke up and went to the bathroom, i came across several items thrown down the corridor in front of my room, it seems like a hurricane passed through the night.

Horrible
    Liked · Property is filthy It’s not fit for a dog let alone a person
    Disliked · Everything, it’s needs shutting down

Liked · leaving... my favourite moment was leaving
    Disliked · upon arriving i was given tiny box room no bigger than my left nut, when i booked and paid for twin bed ensuite an tv... i was itching like katie price underwear in them bed sheets, i would of felt breathing in toxic gas would of been healthier.. sat down on the toilet for an after work no.2 and slid into next doors room... i had to go buy 4 bottles of air freshener and flooded the room with it however it didn't get rid of the dead old man smell... HOWEVER if homeless consider it liveable, man like me... no chance i was out of there, packed up and left
    Oh my word, see it on Tripadviser:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1756675-d12421535-Reviews-Assheton_Arms_Hotel-Middleton_Rochdale_Greater_Manchester_England.html

One reviewer, swimming adainst the tide, gave it 10/10. But she's from Blackpool.
    I have to confess, this is a minor hobby of mine. Finding the WORST reviewed hotels on booking.com and tripadvisor

It offers much hilarity. And it would make a great article for a lad magazine: staying at the worst 5. How bad can they be? Sadly, these magazines no longer exist
    A connoisseur's item is the TripAdvisor reviews for Pontins in Southport. Not just the abysmal ratings but the lurid descriptions of the place: holes where the roof should be; huge bloodstains on on the wall; a carefully constructed pile of sand in the corner of room; being unable to close the door because it's come off the hinge; people being randomly required to drop their trousers to show they are not carrying drugs; families succumbing one by one to undercooked chicken nuggets ...

These reviews have been flooding out for a decade or more. You would have thought by now people would have stopped going or the place would have been shut down.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Leon said:

What could it mean??

Sorry, I’m a scientist. I like things that can be tested, proved or disproved, not just fake scientists making up any shit they like.
    We may not be able to test them yet because we don't know how.
  • Options

Leon said:

What could it mean??

We may not be able to test them yet because we don't know how.
    That’s a fair question. But just ascribing stuff because ‘it’s seems right’ is so far from my world view that I need to call it piffle.
  • Options

MattW said:

What could it mean??

30 is a good age. Old enough to have your own mind and young enough to have things to look forward to. Enjoy it!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

The joys of Brexit...

Depends what you want.

Our local cycling club have a route called "Let's all go to Skeggy", which is 300km as a round trip.

I have a tin of "Skegness can be *so* bracing" air on my desk. It has a picture of a so far unidentified denizen of PB on it.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,512

On a personal note my 18 year old granddaughter has just phoned from Leeds University to say she has been awarded a place at Kyoto University in September, as part of her Italy and Japan languages and culture course.

We are very proud of her

A stunning place. I'd go back tomorrow!
  • Options

We are very proud of her

I have never achieved 14 likes and am overwhelmed how you have all reacted to our wonderful family news

As I said to my daughter just imagine the doors that will open with Kyoto University on your cv

In these days of depressing news it is a good news story and thank you to everyone
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,606
    Mail online now headlining fury of bereaved families at Met stitch-up.

I presume Dacre will not follow with actual Mail paper for Saturday but bad for The Clown.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    FF43 said:

MattW said:

What could it mean??

30 is a good age. Old enough to have your own mind and young enough to have things to look forward to. Enjoy it!
    There was me trying to help and they all go and sabotage the illusion.

What you need is a dog.
  • Options
    Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    21m
    NEW

* Boris Johnson will be handed a new redacted version of Sue Gray report in coming hours or days
    * This will be compliant with Met request nothing jeopardises their inquiry
    * This means it will be heavily redacted
    * Publication next week when the Commons is sitting

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1487148522508103680
  • Options
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

I am on day 2, and isolating is a bit tedious. I may be able to work from Tuesday, depending on LFTs and my managers risk assessment.

I don't particularly want to give it to vulnerable people, so will carry on isolating until safe. Mrs Foxy has a negative PCR so can return to work on Monday, subject to daily LFT. The Trust is pretty desperate for staff.
    I can imagine.

I don't want to give this to vulnerable people either, but if people are going out, the probability with Omicron is that they are going to catch it and me staying at home won't make any difference to anything.

It is quite difficult to understand why I can't at least go out for a drive or a walk around the block.
  • Options
    Whitewash incoming...

A heavily redacted report into Downing Street parties by the senior civil servant Sue Gray will be published imminently, senior government sources told the Guardian, after Scotland Yard provoked fury and confusion by revealing it had demanded key details be removed.

MPs labelled the Metropolitan police a broken organisation after the force admitted it had asked Gray to make “minimal reference” in her inquiry report to matters its officers were now investigating.

Gray’s team had been considering sending a redacted version of the report to No 10 or waiting for the Met to conclude its inquiry and then sending the full report. On Friday night, they decided to send a redacted version, at the request of the Met, and are not believed to be intending to submit anything further to Downing Street.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/28/sue-gray-report-fears-indefinite-delay-met-intervention-partygate
  • Options

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    21m
    NEW

* Boris Johnson will be handed a new redacted version of Sue Gray report in coming hours or days

More questions than answers
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited January 2022

IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Google "numpty."
  • Options
    Guardian suggesting substantially redacted Gray report is imminent.

Surely this is worse than no report. Implying nothing to see, because what we want to see has been removed. It smack of corruption.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

The joys of Brexit...

Depends what you want.

Our local cycling club have a route called "Let's all go to Skeggy", which is 300km as a round trip.

I have a tin of "Skegness can be *so* bracing" air on my desk. It has a picture of a so far unidentified denizen of PB on it.

More or less how I've always imagined @Big_G_NorthWales .
  • Options
    Johnson will wave a piece of paper that is so black with redaction that there is nothing left to read and announce that he cannot comment further until the police have finished.

What a low state this country has reached.

How many students could get the local police to redact everything about their £10k fines for having a birthday party in lockdown? At least they had the excuse of actually not setting the fecking rules and being young.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson will receive a redacted version of the long-awaited report into lockdown-busting parties held in Downing Street and across Whitehall in "the coming hours or days", Sky News understands - as the Metropolitan Police has denied it is seeking to delay its publication.

https://news.sky.com/story/partygate-met-police-denies-delaying-publication-of-sue-gray-report-12527684
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Surely this is worse than no report. Implying nothing to see, because what we want to see has been removed. It smack of corruption.

I am sure that certain people on here will use the minimised report to say "Look - we said there was nothing to see. Here is the proof..."
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Here it is:

The joys of Brexit...

Depends what you want.

More or less how I've always imagined @Big_G_NorthWales .
    Actually much taller and a little less robust but still my nickname is 50 years old
  • Options

Yes and No, I think. It allows Johnson to switch his hold message from "Wait for Sue Gray" to "Wait for the police to complete their enquiries". Neither is relevant to the political question of whether Johnson is a fit person to be prime minister. His immediate risk is he gets VONCed. This development makes that step less likely.
  • Options

Is the betting on Rishi changing
  • Options

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    21m
    NEW

Might get him sweating like Peppa's dad, wondering what is in the gaps...
  • Options

We are very proud of her

I have never achieved 14 likes and am overwhelmed how you have all reacted to our wonderful family news

As I said to my daughter just imagine the doors that will open with Kyoto University on your cv

In these days of depressing news it is a good news story and thank you to everyone
    Nineteen and counting.
  • Options

I am sure that certain people on here will use the minimised report to say "Look - we said there was nothing to see. Here is the proof..."
    I wont
  • Options
    edited January 2022

The one advantage in the report being published is that all the Tory MPs who have been using the lack of publication to prevaricate on Johnson's future will be forced to take a position: 'up with this we will not put,' or 'we will continue to fence sit until we die of sepsis from all the splinters embedded in our arses the police have concluded their enquiries.'

If it's the latter position, as one strongly suspects it will be, then the issue will be booted into the long grass (probably until after Parliament rises for the Summer recess, when all the plotters have dispersed to their holiday boltholes) and will result in action being taken exclusively against obscure functionaries, if anyone gets a slap on the wrist at all. Johnson will then be safe.

The greased piglet has almost wriggled free again.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Google "numpty."
    I’ve no idea who you are. And you have decided to be insulting because I used a different word to the one you would have chosen.

What a limited charmless person you must be.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    21m
    NEW

I suppose that the full report might leak?

More likely it'll be set on fire and chucked down a mineshaft (along with poor Sue Gray's reputation,) which will be backfilled with quick-setting concrete.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

The one advantage in the report being published is that all the Tory MPs who have been using the lack of publication to prevaricate on Johnson's future will be forced to take a position: 'up with this we will not put,' or 'we will continue to fence sit until we die of sepsis from all the splinters embedded in our arses the police have concluded their enquiries.'

If it's the latter position, as one strongly suspects it will be, then the issue will be booted into the long grass (probably until after Parliament rises for the Summer recess, when all the plotters have dispersed to their holiday boltholes) and will result in action being taken exclusively against obscure functionaries, if anyone gets a slap on the wrist at all. Johnson will then be safe.

pigeon said:

Come on Dom!!!!!
  • Options

Johnson visiting Kiev next week suggested by C4 News.

Tank driving opportunities abound for Johnson.

Ambushed by Chicken Kiev!
  • Options

Steady at 2/1
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Google "numpty."
    I’ve no idea who you are. And you have decided to be insulting because I used a different word to the one you would have chosen.

- "I didn't come here to be insulted!"
    - "Where do you usually go?"
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519
    Leon said:

What could it mean??

Yes, I sometimes have dreams which are surreal but hone in like a lazer on my very deepest fears and paranoias and insecurities. The things I could tell no-one, partly through not having the words and partly through not wishing to verbalize these things even if I could. I dislike these dreams intensely. I can usually snap out of them quickly on awakening but sometimes a weird and unpleasant mental fug lingers for an hour or so.
  • Options
    Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    ·
    11m
    The big question now… how “redacted”… beyond all meaning?

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1487155154185039875
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587

What could it mean??

You are drinking too much in the evenings
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Foxy said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    21m
    NEW

More likely it'll be set on fire and chucked down a mineshaft (along with poor Sue Gray's reputation,) which will be backfilled with quick-setting concrete.
    Had anyone heard of Sue Gray before this, or knew anything of her reputation?
  • Options

Johnson visiting Kiev next week suggested by C4 News.

Tank driving opportunities abound for Johnson.

Ambushed by Chicken Kiev!
    The way the world has been in last two years I would not be surprised if he ends up in Kiev surrounded by Russians and effectively a hostage who Biden has to rescue.

Still, stops MPs reading too much of the Gray report eh? So it's a win.
  • Options

I would imagine so.

I am seldom angry about events but along with the rest of the nation we are being played by Johnson. Johnson is laughing at the peasant scum voting public, but we believe he's laughing with us. I am angry now
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Google "numpty."

Is that one of Barry Cryers?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

What could it mean??

Nonsense. It is simply the brain keeping its visual processing active, to avoid neural capacity and connections being reallocated to the other senses while your eyes are closed.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Heavily 'redacted' and delayed report out on Monday, in a tank in Kiev by Tuesday, job done ; he hopes. But I'm not so sure about that at all.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Google "numpty."

I'm not sure what his problem is. It seems to me you conveyed exactly the nuance you wanted. Reference as a verb has been a "thing" for at least 100 years and has been winding up grammar pedants throughout that time.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What could it mean??

Yes, I sometimes have dreams which are surreal but hone in like a lazer on my very deepest fears and paranoias and insecurities. The things I could tell no-one, partly through not having the words and partly through not wishing to verbalize these things even if I could. I dislike these dreams intensely. I can usually snap out of them quickly on awakening but sometimes a weird and unpleasant mental fug lingers for an hour or so.
    Most dreams fade quickly, so hard to recall after even an hour, despite being vivid at the moment of wakening.

I used to get curious and puzzling dreams, that later came true, of events and people that I couldn't know about. Perhaps from subconscious knowledge, but a really uncanny feeling when they start to play out in real life.

Not that I think @Gallowgate is foretelling his future...
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Google "numpty."

Yes. You hardly scratch the surface of what a complete and utter fcki8ng cnt I am.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Google "numpty."

Is that one of Barry Cryers?
    Animaniacs is where I heard it.
  • Options
    Meanwhile...

Currently
    @currently
    ·
    2h
    Updated snowfall forecast from
    @NWSBoston
    (left)
    Updated reasonable worst case forecast (right)

23" would be a top-10 snowstorm in Boston history
    27.7" would be the city's biggest snowstorm ever

https://twitter.com/currently/status/1487115580289302536
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,059
    edited January 2022
    Serious question.
    What was it about the prior career of Boris Johnson which led anyone to think there was any prospect whatsoever of anyone ever seeing this report?
    Despite all the anger, even his opponents have been giving Big Dog the benefit of the doubt.
    We have been far too trusting about what an actual piece of work he is.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    21m
    NEW

Very few of us, I should imagine.

I've no reason to suppose that what's become of her report is in any way her fault, but a document with her name on it is about to become a byword for blatant concealment of the truth.

This is what happens to people who get anywhere near that shit Johnson. He's a contaminant. His stench lingers.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Google "numpty."

Yes. You hardly scratch the surface of what a complete and utter fcki8ng cnt I am.
    At least you have insight...
  • Options
    pigeon said:

I think that is right. Again, I think back to Blix: nobody cares what you publish, just fucking publish already.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,151
    FF43 said:

Yes and No, I think. It allows Johnson to switch his hold message from "Wait for Sue Gray" to "Wait for the police to complete their enquiries". Neither is relevant to the political question of whether Johnson is a fit person to be prime minister. His immediate risk is he gets VONCed. This development makes that step less likely.
    If it really is going to be redacted, then the papers will be full of pictures of something very obviously being hidden, and people are naturally going to want to know what.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I’m feeling old.

I’m feeling old.

Google "numpty."

At least you have insight...
    Sorry, yes, I am on one side of the doggies vs poor, brown, foreign people divide, you on the other. Takes all sorts, and who is to say who's in the right?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    21m
    NEW

Smithson jnr seemed to know a fair bit about her. Wasn't terribly complimentary.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,293
    2/ There are no plans at this stage to release an underacted version of the Sue Gray report after the police finish their work.

Her conclusions about what happened at those more serious events being examined by the police do not automatically see the light of day

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1487160535921614849
  • Options
    Johnson: "So whizz kids, with PPEs, what would really distract from the Gray report next week?"

PPE Spad: "I dunno, maybe fly out to Kiev and face down Putin in the middle of winter?"

Johnson: "Works for me. But make sure we use the government plane and not some shitty RAF thing."
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,430
    Scott_xP said:

2/ There are no plans at this stage to release an underacted version of the Sue Gray report after the police finish their work.

Her conclusions about what happened at those more serious events being examined by the police do not automatically see the light of day

I don't understand that, and I don't mean the misspelling. Don't those two sentences contradict each other? What am I missing?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Some fucker better leak this or there is no God in the sky.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

It’s looking good for Boris. As I’ve been saying, the markets have overestimated the chance of him going all through partygate.

Currently I’d have a 2022 exit as

2/1 yes
    1/2 no

The markets had the odds reversed, last time I checked.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796

Meanwhile...

Currently
    @currently
    ·
    2h
    Updated snowfall forecast from
    @NWSBoston
    (left)
    Updated reasonable worst case forecast (right)

23" would be a top-10 snowstorm in Boston history
    27.7" would be the city's biggest snowstorm ever

https://twitter.com/currently/status/1487115580289302536

If they get 23" in Boston then I would expect at least a foot in Skegness.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,636
    Scott_xP said:

There's no good reason for that at all. The only reason is the same one that led them to try and get Paterson off - they think they can get away with it. Unfortunately, it looks like they are right.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    The poor sub-editors at the Mail must be very tired tonight . Something you rarely see, but very amusing.

"On Friday evening, the Metropolitan Police announced they have the evidence they had requested from the Cabinet Office, but doubled down on their stance that the report should be redacted in a bid 'to protect the integrity of the police investigation'.

Needs a line here saying they this evening announced they have it but doubling down on their instance that Sue Gray report be redacted. Then full new statement goes below first pic – some in the text – and then the full in a box".
  • Options
    FF43 said:

MattW said:

What could it mean??

You're not getting any younger.....and you're not getting any older. In fact you're just not getting any. [R.I.P. Barry Cryer.]
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,288

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    21m
    NEW

Smithson jnr seemed to know a fair bit about her. Wasn't terribly complimentary.
    There's quite a lot of information out there for those who choose to dig. She is famously averse to putting things in writing, and hates both email and freedom of information requests.

If someone is up for a peerage, she gives a straight yes or no, without explanation over the phone, and her word is - apparently - final.

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,430
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What could it mean??

Most dreams fade quickly, so hard to recall after even an hour, despite being vivid at the moment of wakening.

I used to get curious and puzzling dreams, that later came true, of events and people that I couldn't know about. Perhaps from subconscious knowledge, but a really uncanny feeling when they start to play out in real life.

According to Bessel van der Kolk (The Body Keeps the Score) dreams, which occur in REM sleep, are the brain's way of dealing with stress and trauma by scrambling them (hence why sometimes so weird) in order that they can then be parked in the long memory. It's the body's way of dealing with stress and trauma.

So we shouldn't go around replaying or telling our dreams. Nor should we read meaning into them. The brain scrambles them to dump them.

That book, mainly on PTSD, is absolutely brilliant by the way. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796
    Scott_xP said:

Fuck that.

To the barricades, Comrades!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Extraordinarily weak from Parris. First, he claims Blunt and Fabricant as "friends;" secondly a boring metaphor about Thames barges turning with the tide, which reads a bit different when you remember Parris nearly lost his life in the Thames because he can't read a set of tide tables. And, substantively, he is asking where are the tories to shame Johnson into resigning, when it is bloody obvious to everyone else that the problem is precisely that Johnson is impervious to shame.
This discussion has been closed.