Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest next Tory leader betting on the Smarkets exchange – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    Eabhal said:

Was @Leon killed off by the new mega-ultra-deathly Danish pastry variant, with R 200 and CFR 100%?

Nope he flow too close to the sun, or rather Prince Andrew's nether regions.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Eabhal said:

Was @Leon killed off by the new mega-ultra-deathly Danish pastry variant, with R 200 and CFR 100%?

No, it was pre-flaked Parmesan that was past it's sell by date...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    boulay said:

What does the red radioactive sign mean on a post I’ve written?! Thanks

Byeee!

Been meaning to ask, did you Cook up your username? Ignore if that means nothing to you.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,165

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Ok, so now @Leon is banned? Why?

Can he or @Isam come to the PB get together on March 2nd if they are banned?

Please can we stop banning people for naff all.

Leon should have been banned long ago. The abject dishonesty. The unacceptable personal abuse. The racism and sexism. The vulgarity, and ignorant alarmism.

Sadly, too many find his schtick mildly amusing and hence he gets away with it. Which, really, is a sad commentary on us.
    Anyway a regeneration was long overdue.
    "It's the end, but the moment has been prepared for."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3w-BHsXt4I&vl=en-GB
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Remember that episode of "Madam Secretary" what 3 -4 years back. Russian troops massing on the border with Ukraine, they cross the frontier, their aircraft attacking from the east. Nato fighters in combat, then all of Moscow's power and activity severed by hitting their IT. Nato won the air war and everything subsided.
    We had the Turkish main air bases then, will we be able to operate from them now?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    MaxPB said:

Bloody hell $70bn for Call of Duty seems like a lot of money.

Especially with the rubbish new Warzone map.

Bring back Verdansk!
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962
    IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Byeee!

Been meaning to ask, did you Cook up your username? Ignore if that means nothing to you.
    Haha - yes I did - has a convenient double link to my life!
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Should add war might last 3 days, not much of a postponment of the Tory leadership election, unless of course it becomes full scale and we are all obliterated!
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Vlad said:

Why is Leon banned? Too many cooking tips? Pff

Welcome! Long time lurker? I think it was the knapping.
  • Options
    boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Byeee!

I Toyed with the idea you might have done so.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Scott_xP said:

I’m told this is the second meeting to take place this week where 2019 MPs have met to discuss submitting letters of no confidence to Sir Graham Brady 📝

And it’s only Tuesday…

https://twitter.com/MhariAurora/status/1483452059747864586
    https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1483443966636867588

Wow, that's a lot of MPs.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,962
    IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Byeee!

Nicely done!
  • Options

Boris - ‘Nobody told me we were breaking Covid rules’

You made the sodding rules.

Sure there were daily TV press conferences led by some bumbling blonde guy explaining the rules back then.
  • Options

Sure there were daily TV press conferences led by some bumbling blonde guy explaining the rules back then.
    Obviously too confusing.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    Johnson's excuse this lunchtime is absolutely pathetic. "Nobody warned me that it was against the rules," indeed.

He should just go.
  • Options

Obviously too confusing.
    True, and he did obfuscate/lie over the difference between law and guidance so it is easy to see how the PM would have been confused.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    tlg86 said:

BigRich said:

eek said:

Offtopic

Anyone else seen that New Zealand quietly closed their borders last night
    Aaron Dahmen
    @dahmenaaron
    On Twitter, at 7.47pm on a Tuesday night, the country of New Zealand effectively shuts its border. No one, other than those with an MIQ room already secured/emergency allocations, can come home. And there’s no fixed end date. Inconceivable.

You can't travel without an MIQ quarantine room booked so unless you've already got one allocated you aren't going back to New Zealand for a (long) while.

According to WhatsApp messages form my family over there, there has been at least one community transmition of the omicron variant confirmed 24 hours ago. I haven't seen it on news, but also haven't looked, so I cant confirm, however this may be a response to that, if so it may tern out to be 'shutting the stable door after the horses has bolted'

Bigger pitcher, what now for NZ? my 2 nepheshes are now back in school, if you count 2 days a week as 'back in school' because they are different years its different days so my sister in law is now trapped at home supervising them most of the week.

They have had very good take up of vaccine, but sociologically they don't seem ready to open up and let it rip. perhaps when the Australians are past there peek, then it will not look so scary.

How many more years are NZ going to keep this up?
    Next autumn. They'll want to travel to France to watch the All Blacks at the rugby world cup.
    I'm not sure this makes any sense, but I'll just wonder out loud... If they can quash community transmission short term, which isn't guaranteed, does it put them in a better position to actively help Tonga over the next week or three??
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    And thus the populist movement surrounding it began. It started as a whisper, it started as nothing. Nonetheless they flowed to the banner without understanding, but with total loyalty...

Leon they cried.. oh actually maybe not.. and they all went home.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Byeee!

Nicely done!
    I'm glad two of you understand this 🙂
  • Options

Johnson's excuse this lunchtime is absolutely pathetic. "Nobody warned me that it was against the rules," indeed.

He should just go.

When he does we could have the headline "Party Party parties as partying Party Party leader parts."
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

BigRich said:

eek said:

Offtopic

Aaron Dahmen
    @dahmenaaron
    On Twitter, at 7.47pm on a Tuesday night, the country of New Zealand effectively shuts its border. No one, other than those with an MIQ room already secured/emergency allocations, can come home. And there’s no fixed end date. Inconceivable.

You can't travel without an MIQ quarantine room booked so unless you've already got one allocated you aren't going back to New Zealand for a (long) while.

According to WhatsApp messages form my family over there, there has been at least one community transmition of the omicron variant confirmed 24 hours ago. I haven't seen it on news, but also haven't looked, so I cant confirm, however this may be a response to that, if so it may tern out to be 'shutting the stable door after the horses has bolted'

Bigger pitcher, what now for NZ? my 2 nepheshes are now back in school, if you count 2 days a week as 'back in school' because they are different years its different days so my sister in law is now trapped at home supervising them most of the week.

They have had very good take up of vaccine, but sociologically they don't seem ready to open up and let it rip. perhaps when the Australians are past there peek, then it will not look so scary.

Next autumn. They'll want to travel to France to watch the All Blacks at the rugby world cup.
    I'm not sure this makes any sense, but I'll just wonder out loud... If they can quash community transmission short term, which isn't guaranteed, does it put them in a better position to actively help Tonga over the next week or three??
    Not really. NZ is trying the create a complete quarantine for entry/exit - and massively limit exits and entrances.

Even if they suppress the Omicron outbreak, then they will have the same vulnerability to it while Omicron is out there.

Opening up, even if everyone is triple jabbed, means a level of cases etc the they do not appear to want to accept.

So the current isolation will have to continue....
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1483449714196549639

Forget grey, the men in red suits are coming.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    edited January 2022

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Betfair "cashout" on Australian open Men's outright sounds like it's made a right mess.

That’s what happens when they void bets on one runner, once the race has started.
    Voided Djoko bets but made no downwards adjustment (akin to racing rule 4) to bets matched on other players prior to the void. Gift to backers at the expense of layers.
    Yes but arguably that is just a hazard of antepost markets. The real problem is the people who thought they'd cashed out their Novak bets for a profit now finding they have laid the whole field at those artificially high prices and one of them is going to win.
    They need to fix that! Thing is, re my different point, bets on an antepost market on a runner which pulls out are *not* voided, they are settled as losers. Here, they did a weird illogical hybrid of 'day of race' and 'antepost' rules. Backers benefited, layers were hit.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    edited January 2022
    Applicant said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

boulay said:

Byeee!

Nicely done!
    I'm glad two of you understand this 🙂
    It could be worse - it could be @Dura_Ace talking about carburettors.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    "Nobody warned me that it was a bad idea to make a sharp turn with the gun ports open..." https://twitter.com/MaryRoseMuseum/status/1483446570167287808/photo/1

• Options

He should just go.

I don't think it's meant as an excuse, more directly contradicting Cummings' claim that he did warn him. Obviously it isn't playing well, though.

Whether or not Cummings intended to trap him this way is left as an exercise to the reader.
  • Options
    Latest Westminster voting intention (13-14 Jan)

Lab: 39% (-1 from 12-13 Jan)
    Con: 31% (+2)
    Lib Dem: 11% (n/c)
    Green: 6% (n/c)
    Reform UK: 5% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (n/c)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/18/voting-intention-con-31-lab-39-13-14-jan?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=VI https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1483457163980947456/photo/1
  • Options
    One Tory MP this afternoon tells me they think they are “nearly there” when it comes to letters, that numbers far exceed what whips think, that this weekend was a turning point, and that they give the PM “a week.” Says PM should go before SG report.
    https://twitter.com/Mollie_Malone1/status/1483458752854515712
  • Options
    Is it possible Graham Brady had a quiet word with BoZo this morning, and the pool clip was his last chance to get some people to withdraw their letters?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    "Nobody warned me that it was a bad idea to make a sharp turn with the gun ports open..."

https://twitter.com/MaryRoseMuseum/status/1483446570167287808?s=20
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/01/18/voting-intention-con-31-lab-39-13-14-jan?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=VI https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1483457163980947456/photo/1

Poor sleazy Labour on the slide!!!

Boris for PM 4 Evah!!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is it possible Graham Brady had a quiet word with BoZo this morning, and the pool clip was his last chance to get some people to withdraw their letters?

That would always go against what GB says with the letters, in that he says nothing. But we're not in normal times.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205

Taz said:

Cookie said:

I still haven’t forgiven the BBC for foregoing the F1 rights in order to broadcast the fucking Voice, or whatever it was.

I've just looked up what you could watch on the BBC on this day in 1990.
    Actually a pretty watchable evening's entertainment.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_one_london/1990-01-18
    https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_two_england/1990-01-18

EDIT: In fact, not just watchable - actually enjoyable. I'd rather have an evening with that lot to choose from than an evening with the whole of iplayer.

I don't know if they spent more per programme in those days and did fewer programmes, or were just - you know - better.
    Eastenders is unchanged of course. But I'd have avoided that back then as assiduously as I avoid it now.
    Sadly it highlights one thing the BBC used to excel at but no longer do and that is the standalone play.

From the Wednesday play through to Play for Today, Screen One, Screen Two, screenplay firsts.

They’ve lost the art of it sadly.
    Yes, Screenplay is another notable part of that schedule. The BBC had a world-beating pedigree of one-off television plays going back to the early 1960's, but, like so much else, it was all junked in the 1990s. Dennis Potter was one of the angriest about it all, I think also in that famous interview with he gave with Melvyn Bragg before he died.
    None of his work was junked in the nineties. The main junking was the sixties and early seventies, by 1978 they had stopped junking TV programmes.

By the early eighties they were actively looking for material.

A friend of mine helped recover one of his early plays, Shaggy Dog, from the ITV series ‘company of five’ .

Quite a lot of his material exists fortunately.

Some series have very little. Dixon of Dock Green had over 250 episodes of which a tenth survive.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

Billionaire investor Chamath Palihapitiya says ‘nobody cares’ about Uyghur genocide in China

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/17/chamath-palihapitiya-says-nobody-cares-about-uyghur-genocide-in-china.html

With the winter olympics going ahead in said country its hard to disagree.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205

Scott_xP said:

Poor sleazy Labour on the slide!!!

Boris for PM 4 Evah!!
    Booze gate is doing for Starmer.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That would always go against what GB says with the letters, in that he says nothing. But we're not in normal times.

I thought he said he informed the leader before making it public.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Has to be said this is just sad to watch now, Boris needs to man up and accept his fate. His poor decisions have led to his failures and now it's time for him to go for the sake of the nation. We have a golden opportunity over the next two years to weather the inflation storm and come out fighting fit, but with Boris in charge it will just be more drift.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

Obviously too confusing.
    True, and he did obfuscate/lie over the difference between law and guidance so it is easy to see how the PM would have been confused.
    And all those 'er's and 'um's.
    Made it very hard to follow.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Has to be said this is just sad to watch now, Boris needs to man up and accept his fate. His poor decisions have led to his failures and now it's time for him to go for the sake of the nation. We have a golden opportunity over the next two years to weather the inflation storm and come out fighting fit, but with Boris in charge it will just be more drift.

If BoZo does go, and it's still an if, the absolute best part is that he will go to his grave insisting he was hard done by.
  • Options

Wait until she hears about the guy she wanted to lead an independent Scotland...

@NicolaSturgeon on @SkyNews:

"Yes, Douglas Ross has now called for Boris Johnson's resignation, but Douglas Ross enthusiastically supported him in his attempts to become Prime Minister."

https://twitter.com/LeePirie/status/1483043510274207753?s=20

Are you by any chance referring to the fat little bloke that looks like a creepy toad and she accused of being a "sex pest"?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    Boris will shortly be stepping down to spend more time with his family at Peppa Pig World.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If the contents of Brady's postbag is of significant interest, then we are by definition not in "normal times", so I think your comment is redundant.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

I still haven’t forgiven the BBC for foregoing the F1 rights in order to broadcast the fucking Voice, or whatever it was.

I've just looked up what you could watch on the BBC on this day in 1990.
    Actually a pretty watchable evening's entertainment.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_one_london/1990-01-18
    https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_two_england/1990-01-18

EDIT: In fact, not just watchable - actually enjoyable. I'd rather have an evening with that lot to choose from than an evening with the whole of iplayer.

I don't know if they spent more per programme in those days and did fewer programmes, or were just - you know - better.
    Eastenders is unchanged of course. But I'd have avoided that back then as assiduously as I avoid it now.
    Sadly it highlights one thing the BBC used to excel at but no longer do and that is the standalone play.

From the Wednesday play through to Play for Today, Screen One, Screen Two, screenplay firsts.

They’ve lost the art of it sadly.
    Yes, Screenplay is another notable part of that schedule. The BBC had a world-beating pedigree of one-off television plays going back to the early 1960's, but, like so much else, it was all junked in the 1990s. Dennis Potter was one of the angriest about it all, I think also in that famous interview with he gave with Melvyn Bragg before he died.
    None of his work was junked in the nineties. The main junking was the sixties and early seventies, by 1978 they had stopped junking TV programmes.

By the early eighties they were actively looking for material.

A friend of mine helped recover one of his early plays, Shaggy Dog, from the ITV series ‘company of five’ .

Quite a lot of his material exists fortunately.

Some series have very little. Dixon of Dock Green had over 250 episodes of which a tenth survive.
    His own work was far from forgotten, but that wasn't really what he was most angry about, though.

He was furious at Birt because he had changed the entire structure and culture, and it has to be said, in a number of areas, history has proven him to be right.
  • Options

Boris will shortly be stepping down to spend more time with his family at Peppa Pig World.

Carries just felt a very ill chill down her spine....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,233
    Scott_xP said:

On those numbers and in the time frame noted, we should be back to parity by now.

Hold the line...
  • Options
    edited January 2022

No power, no money, no fancy homes....going to be a tough life.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Sadly, risking libel actions against the site is probably something that cannot be overlooked.
    As a matter of curiosity has there ever been such an action or a serious threat of one?
    No idea. Only OGH would be in a position to answer that. But I do see it as a serious threat.
  • Options
    Shout out to the staffer who read the focus group report which said people were upset with "The Prime Minister smirking about it" and decided he should now do interviews in a face mask.
    https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1483438266732920839
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1483428167926923273
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

SCons behind SLab again.

17% vs 18%

Whoever manages to secure the spot as the principal Unionist party earns a heap of tactical votes. The SCons are about to receive a triple-whammy:

- slipping behind SLab and thereby losing a shedload of anti-SNP tactical votes
    - tactical unwind as SLDs desert Boris’s Brexit Party
    - decent centre-right folk simply abstaining
  • Options
    Sounds like the cricketers fancy a career change to working in #10...

England investigate after police break up post-Ashes party
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/60035895
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Carrie's influence is surely going to be much reduced whether Boris stays or goes.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

Scott_xP said:

On those numbers and in the time frame noted, we should be back to parity by now.

Hold the line...
    Isn't that from a full five days before the Redfield and Wilton ? Not even from last weekend, it seems.
  • Options

That'll be their work hard, play hard ethic.
  • Options
    Hear a group of 2019 Tory MPs had a meeting this lunch time to talk about the ongoing mess - been dubbed the ‘pork pie plot’ by an irritated loyal minister as one of those there said to be the MP for Melton
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1483461888247803907
  • Options

With the best will in the world, there will be money. Book deals for sure afterwards. Board memberships. All the shits who leave parliament seem to be paid vast sums for this kind of thing.
    And besides, Carrie can stay in politics in her own right, rather than using Johnson as a sock puppet.
  • Options
    👀 Penny Mordaunt is emerging as a popular candidate among Conservative MPs to replace Boris Johnson
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/penny-mordaunt-emerges-as-dark-horse-candidate-to-succeed-boris-johnson
  • Options

To reprise myself from downthread:

Boris will be banged up in a London terrace begging the spec/tele to accept his pieces while Carrie yells WE HAD IT ALL YOU WANKER at him.

Tip to anyone tempted to feel sorry for him: Afghans who are in Afghanistan but would be in the UK but for Air Petacci are probably not having a great time either.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Hear a group of 2019 Tory MPs had a meeting this lunch time to talk about the ongoing mess - been dubbed the ‘pork pie plot’ by an irritated loyal minister as one of those there said to be the MP for Melton

By irritated loyal minister I take it she means one of the many who will never see ministerial office again once Boris has gone.
  • Options
    eek said:

By irritated loyal minister I take it she means one of the many who will never see ministerial office again once Boris has gone.

Which is most of them...
  • Options

Does Boris even have a home that he can call his own at the moment?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Sadly, risking libel actions against the site is probably something that cannot be overlooked.
    Yeah - Ok - one was a baddie but I genuinely cannot see why Isam was banned (and still is).
    Both of these posters have been banned on several occasions in the past. Whilst I'd like to see them both back, there must to be some limit to how often someone gets banned before it becomes permanent.
    I am sure that Leon will return in a new guise...
    Yes but he will reveal his true identity after about three or four posts. He can't help himself. His chances of ever being accepted by the security service as an undercover operative are about as likely as Boris Johnson getting an award of honesty, integrity and fidelity, while shouting "I have changed my ways" and everyone believing him.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

One Tory MP this afternoon tells me they think they are “nearly there” when it comes to letters, that numbers far exceed what whips think, that this weekend was a turning point, and that they give the PM “a week.” Says PM should go before SG report.

Music to ears - that he's on the brink - but the betting is still not quite reflecting it. He's 2.7 to still be PM at the next party conf. Bit of a drift but not massive. Good money to be made by backing the view he's toast.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

With the best will in the world, there will be money. Book deals for sure afterwards. Board memberships. All the shits who leave parliament seem to be paid vast sums for this kind of thing.
    And besides, Carrie can stay in politics in her own right, rather than using Johnson as a sock puppet.
    I think he will struggle more than many PMs for the non-job money. The books and speaking I can see, serious stuff, I think will be harder.
  • Options

I don't think anyone would be cretinous to have him on a board. I should think even Billy Smart's would hesitate
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    eek said:

Does Boris even have a home that he can call his own at the moment?
    He definitely has at least one I can recall he rents out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9457567/Boris-Johnson-puts-cottage-rental-market-4-250-month.html

Edit:- And this place.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/boris-johnson-rent-london-home-flat-refurbishment-row-b933955.html
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

That'll be their work hard, play hard ethic.
    Well they certainly put in a creditable effort...
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/18/graham-thorpe-england-job-under-threat-over-video-of-police-shutting-down-post-ashes-party
    ...Graham Thorpe, England’s assistant coach, could be under pressure for his job after a video he shot of Tasmanian police shutting down an early hours drinking session involving players from both Ashes teams became public.

Joe Root, the England captain, Jimmy Anderson and Thorpe, as well as Australian players Nathan Lyon, Alex Carey and Travis Head, were the subject of a noise complaint at the team hotel in Hobart at 6am on Monday morning which saw four police officers in attendance.

The incident was filmed by Thorpe and the video first appeared on the website of the Sydney Morning Herald on Tuesday. In it an officer is heard telling the group: “Too loud. You have obviously been asked to pack up, so we’ve been asked to come. Time for bed. Thank you. They just want to pack up.”..
  • Options

Carrie can stay in politics in her own right, rather than using Johnson as a sock puppet.

Who would employ her?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Music to ears - that he's on the brink - but the betting is still not quite reflecting it. He's 2.7 to still be PM at the next party conf. Bit of a drift but not massive. Good money to be made by backing the view he's toast.
    I'm on end Jan and end Mar for literally thousands

of pennies

ETA the party conf bet is probably poor value. you can get 4 odd for end March. If he makes it past then he might be good for October too.
  • Options

I think he will struggle more than many PMs for the non-job money. The books and speaking I can see, serious stuff, I think will be harder.
    If he wants. he will be able to pump out the books, as he has in the past. He'll get columnist gigs too.
    Personally I wonder whether Carrie was attracted to the PM or to Boris Johnson. Against all the obvious to the outside observer, he clearly is able to attract the opposite sex.
  • Options

I don't think anyone would be cretinous to have him on a board. I should think even Billy Smart's would hesitate
    I can't see him doing this....

Tony Blair: Investment Banking Intern
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZEav9A801A
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022

BigRich said:

eek said:

Offtopic

Aaron Dahmen
    @dahmenaaron

WTF? Again? This is ridiculous. I have mates there and they haven’t been able to leave for two years.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Carrie can stay in politics in her own right, rather than using Johnson as a sock puppet.

Who would employ her?
    That's just your bias creeping (flooding?) in. She clearly has ability or she wouldn't have reached the roles she has played in the Conservative party.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

👀 Penny Mordaunt is emerging as a popular candidate among Conservative MPs to replace Boris Johnson
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/penny-mordaunt-emerges-as-dark-horse-candidate-to-succeed-boris-johnson

I can't see past Sunak if the defenestration is swift. If Johnson hangs on by his fingernails for a while it could be anyone's game.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

If he wants. he will be able to pump out the books, as he has in the past. He'll get columnist gigs too.
    Personally I wonder whether Carrie was attracted to the PM or to Boris Johnson. Against all the obvious to the outside observer, he clearly is able to attract the opposite sex.
    He is very lazy though...books, that requires a lot of hard work and research and such like. Columns, yes, well he used to bash out the old Telegraph column between his first and second glass of wine before Sunday lunch as some randoms house.

But can the likes of the Telegraph afford £250k+ a year these days? And that might cover the cost of the kids, but one has to a wife who is rather high maintenance.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yeah - Ok - one was a baddie but I genuinely cannot see why Isam was banned (and still is).
    Both of these posters have been banned on several occasions in the past. Whilst I'd like to see them both back, there must to be some limit to how often someone gets banned before it becomes permanent.
    Yes but he will reveal his true identity after about three or four posts. He can't help himself. His chances of ever being accepted by the security service as an undercover operative are about as likely as Boris Johnson getting an award of honesty, integrity and fidelity, while shouting "I have changed my ways" and everyone believing him.
    He's already back and it was obvious from post 1
  • Options

I think he is a master of pester-power, on the basis of the high bastardy rate. Women are hustled into it at too short notice to take precautions.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    Scott_xP said:

Missed a chance there for a Big Dog joke. There's a dog (and cat) food factory next to the railway station at Melton Mowbray (and so is the pork pie factory AFAIK, though I may be out of date).
  • Options

BigRich said:

eek said:

Offtopic

Aaron Dahmen
    @dahmenaaron

WTF? Again? This is ridiculous. I have mates there and they haven’t been able to leave for two years.
    Yep - for all that they have had a 'good' war in some senses, the policies they have chosen and continue to espouse are in danger of turning things very sour indeed.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

eek said:

Which is most of them...
    I'd keep in post (of course one of these might be PM) or promote(*)

Sunak
    Truss
    Wallace
    Gove
    Javid
    Kwarteng*
    Sharma
    Zahawi*
    Eustice

And ditch most of the rest.....
  • Options
    Commons Confidential: Will Allegra be next to turn on Boris Johnson? - New Statesman https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2022/01/commons-confidential-will-allegra-be-next-to-turn-on-boris-johnson
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Scott_xP said:

I can't see past Sunak if the defenestration is swift. If Johnson hangs on by his fingernails for a while it could be anyone's game.
    You can, though. You can see past him, and over him.
    He looks like a real person, but seen through binoculars the wrong way around.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

eek said:

Which is most of them...

Sunak
    Truss
    Wallace
    Gove
    Javid
    Kwarteng*
    Sharma
    Zahawi*
    Eustice

Euslice ?
    Really ?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

He is very lazy though...books, that requires a lot of hard work and research and such like. Columns, yes, well he used to bash out the old Telegraph column between his first and second glass of wine before Sunday lunch as some randoms house.

But can the likes of the Telegraph afford £250k+ a year these days? And that might cover the cost of the kids, but one has to a wife who is rather high maintenance.
    Oiky swots can do the research.* IIRC some academic prof or reader was actually asked by his publishers to 'do' Churchill. Can't remember if I read it here or in the Eye.

*as they did for Churchill, WS.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Missed a chance there for a Big Dog joke. There's a dog (and cat) food factory next to the railway station at Melton Mowbray (and so is the pork pie factory AFAIK, though I may be out of date).
    Presumably the pork that isn't fit for the pet food goes into the pies?
  • Options

I can't see him doing this....

Tony Blair: Investment Banking Intern
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZEav9A801A
    Very good. Not often I feel sorry for Tony Blair lol.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Presumably the pork that isn't fit for the pet food goes into the pies?
    I have absolutely no idea. I'm not even sure if they are in the same town now - I'm thinking of the 1990s.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    An excoriating statement from the CDU-CSU accuses Olaf Scholz of damaging Germany's standing and undermining Nato with his noncommittal position on the sanctions Russia should face if it attacks Ukraine. Also says Germany's refusal to send Kiev weapons is "no longer tenable"....

Highlights: "The Russian troop deployment on the Ukrainian border is a serious threat to Europe's security - perhaps the greatest since the end of the Cold War ... One thing is clear: if there is a military attack on Ukraine, everything should be on the table - Nord Stream 2, ...

... just as much as extensive sanctions against [Russia's] financial sector. The order of peace in Europe is an existential question for us."

https://twitter.com/olivernmoody/status/1483464457451880455?s=20
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,441
    “Nobody warned me drinks event was against rules” says man who made the rules and lectured Nation on them.

WHAT? 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Tory MP says Boris Johnson will be gone in 'one week' after 'game changer'.

Read more 👇

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1483465331637112833
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

You can, though. You can see past him, and over him.
    He looks like a real person, but seen through binoculars the wrong way around.
    No, he just always stands far away.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm on end Jan and end Mar for literally thousands

of pennies
    Well I'm rooting for you to trouser those oodles of pennies. I'm skewed the other way but I've been in & out with decent timing so I have a fairly smug city 'shades of green' book on his exit date.

The other main thing I'm doing now is backing Sunak. Sometimes the short priced fav is still the value and I reckon that's the case here. I can't see them going for anybody else.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    MaxPB said:

Sad to watch is the one thing it isn't.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

eek said:

Which is most of them...

Sunak
    Truss
    Wallace
    Gove
    Javid
    Kwarteng*
    Sharma
    Zahawi*
    Eustice

Euslice ?
    Really ?
    Unfortunate typo.....I was just considering given the cull how many would have to be replaced.....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Tory MP says Boris Johnson will be gone in 'one week' after 'game changer'.

Read more 👇

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1483465331637112833

Tory MP is right

I am a cautious, some would say, pusillanimous gambler, but I have never seen such a screaming buy as the Boris to announce intention to resign by end jan/Q1 markets.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

He's already back and it was obvious from post 1
    Oh? Do tell? What is he calling himself? I will see if I can bait him with a few suggestions that SeanT's books remind me of a kind of down market Dan Brown, or that the worst thing about Johnson is that he is a lazy journalist.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,269
    edited January 2022
    Sky going big on Johnson going soon.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-partygate-latest-news-live-downing-street-parties-uk-politics-12514080

If he's gone within a week as suggested then it has to be Rishi Sunak. Mike will win a packet on a fantastic bet.

I reckon it's the only time Sunak can become Prime Minister. Leave it much longer and he will be another William Hague. Right person, wrong time.
  • Options

Could easily get several million for a month in the States doing funny speeches and getting pissed at dinners. After which he can start regular political fundraisers over there which will make him the richest ex PM of our lifetimes by far.
This discussion has been closed.