Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest next Tory leader betting on the Smarkets exchange – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Although its nonsense to suggest the freezing the licence fee is really making a difference to hard up families, at the same time BBC going full back to Wigan pier stuff when they still get £4bn a year, is a bit like MPs complaining about not getting a pay rise.

I imagine if they had raised the licence fee by £10 a year the public wouldn't be very happy.

Say the government had given the BBC an increase that met the inflation seen in programme production, which is apparenly quite high, would that save the BBC? No, not at all. A licence fee for a household to watch free-to-air broadcast progammes mainly shown on the BBC used to make sense when the BBC dominated viewing and broadcast television was the only way of watching television, but that world is ending. A licence for broadcast television made by the BBC when most people will be watching streaming video from other companies, and many of them will be using devices other than TVs and frequently viewing that video outside of the home just doesn't make sense. And if it doesn't make sense the already declining legitimacy and compliance with the licence fee will fall further.

The government and BBC need to answer three questions. What is the licence fee for? How is the fee collected? How are the things the licence fee pays for delivered? I'm sure that the answer is no longer to have a TV licence where we give almost all of the money collected to the BBC for broadcast television and radio. I don't know the answer, but the status quo is not it.
  • Options
    I had the same thought.

PM says that he only saw the Martin Reynolds email "the other day, when it emerged."

Beth repeatedly asks PM if Cummings warned him.

Keeps saying "nobody warned me that it was against the rules." Isn't quite same thing as someone warning it wasn't wise.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1483430015610073088
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,233
    HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The only thing more worrying than a Russian invasion of Ukraine, is a UK response to one led by Johnson

There will not be a UK response, certainly not a military one as the Ukraine is not a member of NATO.

Only if Russia invaded Poland or the Baltic states for example, which are NATO members, would there be a UK military response. At most there would be some economic sanctions
    You do know we are already providing arms to Ukraine
    We will not be sending ground troops, tanks or fighter jets to defend Ukraine, a non NATO member state.

We sell arms to lots of countries
    You are off your head with this analysis. It is not just annexing Ukraine that concerns most of us it is what happens next too.

If Putin takes Ukraine without so much as a whimper, why not all the former Soviet satellite states, plus Finland Sweden and Norway?
    Finland and Sweden are not in NATO, so we would not be obliged to defend them either.

We would only be required to defend Norway and the Baltic states which are in NATO
    You can't defend either Norway or the Baltic States without defending Sweden and Finland.
    You can, if Sweden and Finland want to join NATO then we can defend them, not before. Same with non NATO Ireland.

Our terms of NATO membership do not prevent us from going to war to defend other countries if we wish.

Kuwait wasn't in NATO either.
    Taking military action against Russia is a rather more tough proposition than taking military action against Iraq. The former leads to WW3, the latter does not.

Plus Russia has a permanent veto on the UN Security Council which Iraq did not, so UN approved action was easier when Iraq invaded Kuwait.

The main defence v Russia therefore remains NATO
    There are concerns, according to BBC correspondent Mark Orban last, that the EU is about to soften its stance to Russia.

Orban claimed t on TV that in bolstering Ukraine's defences, British forces flying men and gear to the region were asked to avoid German and Dutch airspace. Germany is also reported about threats to freeze Russia out of the global payments system.

If naked aggression from belligerent governments is what works with the EU then maybe we should put 20,000 troops in South Armagh and post the Queen Elizabeth permanently in the Irish Sea.

If RAF fighter sorties over Dublin might get an agreement, perhaps we should do that.
    Germany and France as NATO members would still be obliged to send troops to defend Poland and the Baltic states from Russia however, both are not only NATO but EU member states
    Germany and France would defend Poland because they come next and next but one respectively.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713
    FPT:
    Farooq said:

Whatever you think of Germany's energy policy, there is no way, none at all, in which you can possibly blame Russian aggression on Germany. Russia is the bad guy here, let's keep that absolutely clear.

Farooq said:

2016: "The EU started as a trading organisation but then became an all powerful superstate meddling with national affairs!!1!"
    2022: "Why oh why hasn't the EU done more than just fiddle around with trade issues??/?"

1. I completely agree with your first comment. I've always viewed (well, for many years) as the Soviet Union Russia as the main threat to the UK and Europe generally (China number 2).
    2. However on your second point, I see no contradiction here. The EU *Could* do something, but the main member state doesn't want to so it will instead wring its hands.

If anything, you make the point that the EU is dominated by Germany and what it wants it gets. It wants to stay well out of it, so the EU will stay well out of it.

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Deltapoll breaks:

London L44 C27 G12 LD11
    Rest of South C43 L34 LD14
    Midlands L42 C38
    North L57 C24
    Scotland SNP50 L20 C18 LD10
    Wales L40 C22 PC18 LD11

GB L41 C32 LD11

(Fieldwork 12-16 January: sample size = 4,292)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    Stocky said:

Crikey, his eyes really are teary.

Ah diddums.

I daresay so was the grieving Queen, alone in that Chapel at Windsor.
    Do you think it was right that the Queen had to go through the funeral like that? Why didn't they test all attendees and drop the Covid theatre?
    More 'us and them' if they did that.
  • Options

I'm reminded that Boris Johnson categorically denied having an affair with Petronella Wyatt.

UK PM Boris Johnson "categorically" denies anyone warned him the No 10 drinks party broke lockdown rules

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1483428767024431110

... and as I recall the lie got him sacked. Lightening striking twice?
  • Options
    I feel like I've watched one of those nature docs where a lioness rips a wildebeest apart.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1483430385400885253
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    glw said:

Although its nonsense to suggest the freezing the licence fee is really making a difference to hard up families, at the same time BBC going full back to Wigan pier stuff when they still get £4bn a year, is a bit like MPs complaining about not getting a pay rise.

I imagine if they had raised the licence fee by £10 a year the public wouldn't be very happy.

Say the government had given the BBC an increase that met the inflation seen in programme production, which is apparenly quite high, would that save the BBC? No, not at all. A licence fee for a household to watch free-to-air broadcast progammes mainly shown on the BBC used to make sense when the BBC dominated viewing and broadcast television was the only way of watching television, but that world is ending. A licence for broadcast television made by the BBC when most people will be watching streaming video from other companies, and many of them will be using devices other than TVs and frequently viewing that video outside of the home just doesn't make sense. And if it doesn't make sense the already declining legitimacy and compliance with the licence fee will fall further.

The government and BBC need to answer three questions. What is the licence fee for? How is the fee collected? How are the things the licence fee pays for delivered? I'm sure that the answer is no longer to have a TV licence where we give almost all of the money collected to the BBC for broadcast television and radio. I don't know the answer, but the status quo is not it.
    This is the core issue. The problem is the BBC won't entertain real change and the government a) looking for points scoring with their base and b) I don't think have any real plan nor the balls to actually go through with it. They should have put in motion the reforms needed last time around, rather than can kicking. 5+ years ago it was absolutely clear where this was going.

So instead its this silly proxy war. Government freeze it, BBC go its the end of the world as we know it, and the reality is its bumbles along, but doesn't address the fundamental change in the world. A licence fee attached to a physical property in the 21st Century is absolutely nonsense and unenforceable, while the entertainment industry is now truly globalised (rather than the old model of protected regions, that the plebs couldn't access easily).
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    glw said:

I almost never watch BBC. Even my 80 year old mother rarely watches it these days, but she does like to turn on the news and shout at the political interviewees because they are a shower of idiots :D
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    Boris Johnson saying no one told him the Downing Street gathering was against the rules is a new level of dissociation, almost like he’s spent two years watching someone else be prime minister and is now scratching his head about the decisions they’ve taken.
    https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1483431497751318530
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited January 2022
    New poll has a Starmer led Labour now even leading a Sunak led Tories, albeit still a smaller gap than v Boris

Labour 40%
    Sunak led Tories 36%
    LDs 9%

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1483422884630573056?s=20
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Ah diddums.

Do you think it was right that the Queen had to go through the funeral like that? Why didn't they test all attendees and drop the Covid theatre?
    No it wasn't.

But the point is that while the Queen was respectful of the rules, even under such grave circumstances, more important people understood rules did not apply to them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

I'm reminded that Boris Johnson categorically denied having an affair with Petronella Wyatt.

UK PM Boris Johnson "categorically" denies anyone warned him the No 10 drinks party broke lockdown rules

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1483428767024431110

He seems to have a problem with simple word definitions.
    No one warned him that categorical denial meant he was lying.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson saying no one told him the Downing Street gathering was against the rules is a new level of dissociation, almost like he’s spent two years watching someone else be prime minister and is now scratching his head about the decisions they’ve taken.

WTF... is he an actual child (well a man-baby)??

He should be on top of everything nd know exactly whats going on.

Get rid of him!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

New poll has a Starmer led Labour now even leading a Sunak led Tories, albeit still a smaller gap than v Boris

Labour 40%
    Sunak led Tories 36%
    LDs 9%

These polls are b******. Sunak would get a healthy honeymoon boost. How long that lasts is the question.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Labour 40%
    Sunak led Tories 36%
    LDs 9%

A much smaller gap, though. That won''t please the remaining Johnson loyalists at all, and I'm increasingly wondering if Sunak is at greater risk of waiting too long than of acting too soon.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited January 2022

Scott_xP said:

Get rid of him!
    He's spent his entire life wanting to be Prime Minister and he's realising his tenure might be shorter than the tenures of Gordon Brown and Theresa May (UTTER LOL).

I'm not surprised there are tears and childlike excuses.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The only thing more worrying than a Russian invasion of Ukraine, is a UK response to one led by Johnson

There will not be a UK response, certainly not a military one as the Ukraine is not a member of NATO.

Only if Russia invaded Poland or the Baltic states for example, which are NATO members, would there be a UK military response. At most there would be some economic sanctions
    We will not be sending ground troops, tanks or fighter jets to defend Ukraine, a non NATO member state.

You are off your head with this analysis. It is not just annexing Ukraine that concerns most of us it is what happens next too.

If Putin takes Ukraine without so much as a whimper, why not all the former Soviet satellite states, plus Finland Sweden and Norway?
    Finland and Sweden are not in NATO, so we would not be obliged to defend them either.

We would only be required to defend Norway and the Baltic states which are in NATO
    You can't defend either Norway or the Baltic States without defending Sweden and Finland.
    You can, if Sweden and Finland want to join NATO then we can defend them, not before. Same with non NATO Ireland.

Our terms of NATO membership do not prevent us from going to war to defend other countries if we wish.

Taking military action against Russia is a rather more tough proposition than taking military action against Iraq. The former leads to WW3, the latter does not.

Plus Russia has a permanent veto on the UN Security Council which Iraq did not, so UN approved action was easier when Iraq invaded Kuwait.

I'm not advocating war with Russia, but it doesn't necessarily lead to WWIII or a nuclear exchange.

It's unlikely that China would be involved, for starters. It would be a European war, and Europe is not the centre of the world in the way it was a hundred years ago.

If fighting was restricted to pushing Russia out of invaded territory then the chances of a nuclear escalation are much reduced.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

FPT:

Farooq said:

Whatever you think of Germany's energy policy, there is no way, none at all, in which you can possibly blame Russian aggression on Germany. Russia is the bad guy here, let's keep that absolutely clear.

Farooq said:

2016: "The EU started as a trading organisation but then became an all powerful superstate meddling with national affairs!!1!"
    2022: "Why oh why hasn't the EU done more than just fiddle around with trade issues??/?"

1. I completely agree with your first comment. I've always viewed (well, for many years) as the Soviet Union Russia as the main threat to the UK and Europe generally (China number 2).
    2. However on your second point, I see no contradiction here. The EU *Could* do something, but the main member state doesn't want to so it will instead wring its hands.

If anything, you make the point that the EU is dominated by Germany and what it wants it gets. It wants to stay well out of it, so the EU will stay well out of it.

It really doesn't matter. If France wants to help Ukraine out, it can do so.
    If EU countries want to have a defence union with an army, let them and we can think about how that ought to look. But they don't so, in terms of military intervention, the EU is not holding anyone back.

There's a real risk here that people get so distracted on old faultlines that it prevent clear thinking. This is a crisis for Ukraine and the European democracy. It should not be taken as an opportunity to attack the EU. Well, it should if one prefers Russia to prevail, but most of us probably don't.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,675

HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There are concerns, according to BBC correspondent Mark Orban last, that the EU is about to soften its stance to Russia.

Orban claimed t on TV that in bolstering Ukraine's defences, British forces flying men and gear to the region were asked to avoid German and Dutch airspace. Germany is also reported about threats to freeze Russia out of the global payments system.

If naked aggression from belligerent governments is what works with the EU then maybe we should put 20,000 troops in South Armagh and post the Queen Elizabeth permanently in the Irish Sea.

If RAF fighter sorties over Dublin might get an agreement, perhaps we should do that.
    Germany and France as NATO members would still be obliged to send troops to defend Poland and the Baltic states from Russia however, both are not only NATO but EU member states
    Germany and France would defend Poland because they come next and next but one respectively.
    Russia isn’t interested in militarily occupying Western Europe, but we do know Putin is interested in a greater Russia controlling Transdneister, South Ossetia, Donbass etc. and a Russian sphere of influence over Eastern Europe. The question is over how far the former extends into the latter. Would he be happy with a Moscow-friendly govt in Kyiv, with eastern parts of the country and Crimea handed over to Russia, or would he prefer Ukraine to cease to exist as an independent nation?

Either way, he clearly doesn’t wasn’t a Western-facing Ukraine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour 40%
    Sunak led Tories 36%
    LDs 9%

The decline continues, and still you do nothing.

Doing nothing is not an option for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

This is the core issue. The problem is the BBC won't entertain real change and the government a) looking for points scoring with their base and b) I don't think have any real plan nor the balls to actually go through with it. They should have put in motion the reforms needed last time around, rather than can kicking. 5+ years ago it was absolutely clear where this was going.

So instead its this silly proxy war. Government freeze it, BBC go its the end of the world as we know it, and the reality is its bumbles along, but doesn't address the fundamental change in the world. A licence fee attached to a physical property in the 21st Century is absolutely nonsense and unenforceable, while the entertainment industry is now truly globalised (rather than the old model of protected regions, that the plebs couldn't access easily).

Nobody seems to have a plan. This sort of thing happens in the computing world all the time, the incumbent dismisses the upstarts until it is too late, and usually ends up either dead or a shadow of its former self. You can see this happening with the BBC right now.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    eek said:

Hugo Rifkind
    @hugorifkind
    No Tory government has been brought down by somebody who wasn't Dominic Cummings since 1997.

If he brings down another three or four it might even balance out Brexit.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Ah diddums.

The Queen, unlike the PM, understands the importance of setting an example. I am sure that she would not have had it any way. She lives for her duty.
    Yes not a monarchist at all, but would vote for her as head of state without hesitation. Not sure if I will feel the same about Charlie though.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Get rid of him!
    It was all so very predictable.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    glw said:

Nobody seems to have a plan. This sort of thing happens in the computing world all the time, the incumbent dismisses the upstarts until it is too late, and usually ends up either dead or a shadow of its former self. You can see this happening with the BBC right now.
    It reminds me a bit of like the car industry. The unions busy fighting the government etc, while the Japanese have better working practices, robots, and pumping out on average better cars, even if in isolation British engineers still have some highly skilled individuals and clever ideas and point to F1 as look at what we can do.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Ah diddums.

The Queen, unlike the PM, understands the importance of setting an example. I am sure that she would not have had it any way. She lives for her duty.
    Yes not a monarchist at all, but would vote for her as head of state without hesitation. Not sure if I will feel the same about Charlie though.
    Skip.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943

glw said:

Every time the BBC tries to implement real change the government knocks them back & insists that innovation must come from the private sector. So the Beeb is damned if they do & damned if they don’t.

It reminds me of the story that BT offered to run a national fibre optic network to every home in the last century - they had the production facilities ready to go when the Thatcher government decided that this would be a terrible idea and they wanted to stimulate 'competition' by letting a bunch of cable companies tear up all the streets to install a second set of cables to every home instead. We ended up thirty years behind countries who did the sensible thing in the first place.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

HYUFD said:

Labour 40%
    Sunak led Tories 36%
    LDs 9%

A much smaller gap, though. That won''t please the remaining Johnson loyalists at all, and I'm increasingly wondering if Sunak is at greater risk of waiting too long than of acting too soon.
    Sunak needs to be PM before the NI increase appears in April. After that he has a problem (not an insurmountable problem but it's still a problem)
  • Options

glw said:

The BBC has consistently made major changes and has been to the fore of responding to a changing landscape. iPlayer was a leader, for example. This characterisation of “bumbling” is groundless. If you had to pick who was bumbling, the BBC or the current Govt., I think most people would pick the Govt.
  • Options

glw said:

It reminds me a bit of like the car industry. The unions busy fighting the government etc, while the Japanese have better working practices, robots, and pumping out on average better cars, even if in isolation British engineers still have some highly skilled individuals and clever ideas.
    It reminds me a bit of like the Conservative Party.

Nobody seems to have a plan. This sort of thing happens in the computing world all the time, the incumbent dismisses the upstarts until it is too late, and usually ends up either dead or a shadow of its former self. You can see this happening with the Conservative Party right now.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

glw said:

The BBC has consistently made major changes and has been to the fore of responding to a changing landscape. iPlayer was a leader, for example. This characterisation of “bumbling” is groundless. If you had to pick who was bumbling, the BBC or the current Govt., I think most people would pick the Govt.
    iPlayer was never a leader. Poor tech based originally on flash. And now its really crap compared to state of the art.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Ok, so now @Leon is banned? Why?

Can he or @Isam come to the PB get together on March 2nd if they are banned?

Please can we stop banning people for naff all.
  • Options

glw said:

iPlayer was never a leader. Poor tech based originally on flash. And now its really crap compared to state of the art.
    Speaks someone who’s never used the ITV one: that’s the state of crap in the field. Even the Disney+ one is poor compared to iPlayer.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

glw said:

It reminds me a bit of like the car industry. The unions busy fighting the government etc, while the Japanese have better working practices, robots, and pumping out on average better cars, even if in isolation British engineers still have some highly skilled individuals and clever ideas and point to F1 as look at what we can do.
    Britain also had, and still has, a terrible record of long-term investment, and particularly in the 1970's, both feudalistic and adversarial management and equally adversarial unions, however. The class-bound, uncooperative decay was far from only being an issue with the unions.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

He put OGH in an intolerable situation, repeatedly defaming a person known to be intolerant of defamation.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I know nothing about this, but I saw potentially libellous comments.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Russia isn’t interested in militarily occupying Western Europe, but we do know Putin is interested in a greater Russia controlling Transdneister, South Ossetia, Donbass etc. and a Russian sphere of influence over Eastern Europe. The question is over how far the former extends into the latter. Would he be happy with a Moscow-friendly govt in Kyiv, with eastern parts of the country and Crimea handed over to Russia, or would he prefer Ukraine to cease to exist as an independent nation?

Either way, he clearly doesn’t wasn’t a Western-facing Ukraine.
    I have read that one Putin ambition could be a revival of the pre-1990 Soviet borders.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    Dura_Ace said:

Probably shark week for NutNut so he's not getting his conkers drained.
    *googles* the things one learns on PB.
  • Options

glw said:

Speaks someone who’s never used the ITV one: that’s the state of crap in the field. Even the Disney+ one is poor compared to iPlayer.
    iPlayer has had a lot of iterations over the year - granted it stuck with Flash for slightly too long but that isn't the greatest of crimes given how hard HTML 5 video was to do in the early years.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

glw said:

Oh ITV Player is also crap, but that's like comparing Austin Allegro and Morris Marina. Disney have the best backend streaming tech, which many many leading companies use. The likes of twitch also have far better tech than the likes of BBC for streaming.

The BBC couldn't even cope to do a single 4k stream on iPlayer for Euro football final for the limited subset of people it was available, it crapped out.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

glw said:

Britain also had, and still has, a terrible record of long-term investment, and particularly in the 1970's, both feudalistic and adversarial management and equally adversarial unions, however. The class-bound, unco-operative decay was far from only being an issue with the unions.
    It's notable that Britain has highly productive car factories now, still unionised IIUI but with international management. Weak management is the British disease across the whole economy.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

Scott_xP said:

Get rid of him!
    ScottXP is a prodigous poster, but I think this is the most he's ever made me laugh. Not even the mildly comedic observation at the end of the sentence, just the first 15 words. It's as if Boris is actively trying to alienate people.
    I'm quite a fan of excuses which may be technically correct but will go down extremely poorly. It's in the same category as 'it's crown property so the rules don't apply' (from the same source), and Gordon Brown's memorable 'no, I only promised to abolish TORY boom and bust'.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Is profane abuse directed at other posters really "naff all"?
  • Options
    This is why Sunak and probably the Tories are going to be fecked at the next election.

Shit! The cheapest open market energy fix is now 76% more expensive than the current price cap.

It's far more expensive even than where the 50% April price cap will likely land, & than where it'll land when it likely rises AGAIN in Oct (if wholesale rates dont fall)

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/status/1483109641429082113
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Sadly, risking libel actions against the site is probably something that cannot be overlooked.
  • Options

Some more easy savings for the BBC that nobody will notice. Get rid of Bellator Cage fighting deal. Even hardcore MMA fans don't really give a shit about what is the Vanarama National League equivalent of MMA and the BBC stick it hidden away on iPlayer.

That's a few more million quid saved.

Listing things you don't like so the BBC can spend more on things you do like is fine, except everyone will have a different list of things they don't like, that the BBC should cut.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

glw said:

iPlayer is positively brilliant compared to the arse end that is Amazon Prime. Good programming but awful UI.

Netflix is the player to beat still.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

The Scottish Tories back in hot water:

Lords watchdog launches inquiry into Michelle Mone over ‘VIP lane’ contract
    Investigation into Tory peer relates to PPE company awarded £203m in government contracts

The commissioner confirmed that the investigation would be for “alleged involvement in procuring contracts for PPE Medpro, leading to potential breaches” of three provisions of the Lords code, which cover the requirement that peers publicly register “all relevant interests”, and prohibit them from lobbying for a company or a person in which a peer “has a financial interest”.

The commissioner also stated that Mone would be investigated under the more general provisions of the code’s paragraph 9, which includes that peers “should always act on their personal honour”; must never accept “any financial inducement as an incentive or reward for exercising parliamentary influence”; and “must not seek to profit from membership of the house by accepting or agreeing to accept payment or other incentive or reward in return for providing parliamentary advice or services.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/17/lords-standards-commissioner-launches-inquiry-into-michelle-mone

Pretty sure Money will now be consigned to that ghastly Johnson type of Toryism with which the SCons have absolutely no connection.
    Will be fascinating seeing the election material the Scottish Conservatives are shortly going to print up. They’ll use blue, but I bet the word “Conservative” is conspicuous by its absence, as will any reference to them being in power in London.

Will they continue with Ruth Davidson’s moderately successful ‘No Surrender’ strategy? Initial intelligence ( @Carnyx ) suggests not.
    Certainly the
    List MSP leaflet I got the other day was a total contrast to the usual text of
    No to Indyref
    No to Indyref
    No to Indyref
    No to Indyref
    No to Indyref
    No to Indyref
    even at parish council level (if we had parish councils up here) and with 'Conservative' in the smallest possible script compatible with Electoral Commission law and the wavelength of light.

It was all about roundabouts and only the fetching Sevco FC Blue colour scheme really drove it home it wasn't the local council's LD candidate.

Union? Us advocate union and subordination to that thing in No. 10? Oh no dear me, no siree.

Perhaps our other PBScots could report back on any other sightings?
    The Union seems to have become a topic the principal Unionist party seems unwilling to advocate unless pressed. Klaxons should be sounding at BritNat central office.
    I'd like to hear of other sightings before we draw conclusions - but there should be enough of us PBScots over a wide enough area with eg @RochdalePioneers @Farooq @Eabhal @malcolmg and @DavidL for instance to report back to confirm if there really is a change of approach. This is of interest well beyond individual affiliation.
    I'm unlikely to help. In a tenement and seldom get any literature at all (even during the election last year).

What Ross does if Johnson doesn't go will be pivotal. The CSU idea. I just can't think of a good name - unionist is rubbish.
    Surely if Johnson doesn’t go then Ross will have to go?

If the name “Unionist” isn’t inappropriate for the principal Unionist party then the movement is finished.

What’s the alternative?
    The Loyalist Party? I think not.
    The Britain Party? Perhaps.

I’ve genuinely got a great and novel suggestion, but I’m not going to give it. For obvious reasons.
    The Unionist Party for the Scottish party would be fine, it worked in the 1950s
    Did then, but that was when Scottish politics was in substantial part Unionist Protestant middle and upper working class Tory nativist vs labouring RCs from Ireland who voted Labour, with the LDs leftovers from Gladstone in the crofting and smallholding district.

And Unionist meant the Craigavon kind.

You were never in Edinburgh in the 1950s and 1960s to see and more importantly hear the street preachers at the foot of the Mound.

Today, the LDs are in part still leftovers from the GOM and Crofting Acts era, but Unionist remains hopelessly ambiguous.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205
    glw said:

It also happened with home video taping, Napster, DVDs etc etc.

The entertainment industry is terrible at catching on to new innovations.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    edited January 2022

Stocky said:

Sadly, risking libel actions against the site is probably something that cannot be overlooked.
    Yeah - Ok - one was a baddie but I genuinely cannot see why Isam was banned (and still is).
  • Options

glw said:

Oh ITV Player is also crap, but that's like comparing Austin Allegro and Morris Marina. Disney have the best backend streaming tech, which many many leading companies use. The likes of twitch also have far better tech than the likes of BBC for streaming.

The BBC couldn't even cope to do a single 4k on iPlayer for Euro football final for all that wanted it, it crapped out last summer.
    And a UI that makes it difficult for me to go to the next episode of Hawkeye when I want to. Or I can watch Netflix where it’s almost impossible to stop it from playing the next episode.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    MPs should axe the fool before the war. He'll just use it as an excuse to cling on. Rid yourselves of the incompetent.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Some more easy savings for the BBC that nobody will notice. Get rid of Bellator Cage fighting deal. Even hardcore MMA fans don't really give a shit about what is the Vanarama National League equivalent of MMA and the BBC stick it hidden away on iPlayer.

Listing things you don't like so the BBC can spend more on things you do like is fine, except everyone will have a different list of things they don't like, that the BBC should cut.
    You are wrong, I am a massive MMA fan, and I watch Bellator. But I am probably about one of a handful watching it.

It actually a good example of the BBC deciding it HAD to get into a sport that the is big in youth culture, but can't afford to buy the UFC rights, so rather than say well we can't get into that sector, they paid money for a second / third tier offering. It is absolutely tiny niche appeal.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251

Stocky said:

As a matter of curiosity has there ever been such an action or a serious threat of one?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Bloody hell

Beth Rigby
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Just seen Boris being interviewed on Sky by Beth Rigby.

Looks a broken man.
  • Options

Looks a broken man.

Reet gradely them pies btw thanks for the tip
  • Options
    Watching Boris interview on Sky he looks broken and I would not be surprised if he did resign on the publication of the report
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205

glw said:

It is not a binary choice.

IPlayer was hardly a leader, it was a 30 day catch up service until relatively recently. They did want to do more with it from the offset but couldn’t.

The BBC pioneered buy to own dowloads with the ill fated BBC store at a time live steaming was storming ahead. It closed after a couple of years and lost a pot of cash.

They dropped the ball with Lonely Planet. They set up a team in the US headed by Jane Tranter and RTD to develop programmes with a view to cashing in on the US market and their sole return was a pisspoor 10 episode Torchwood story produced in conjunction with Starz.
  • Options

Looks a broken man.

@Sandpit : yeah, but what about her party
  • Options
    edited January 2022

glw said:

iPlayer is positively brilliant compared to the arse end that is Amazon Prime. Good programming but awful UI.

The poor quality of Amazon Prime streaming I find interesting, they have loads of money, but poor execution. And they own Twitch, which has incredible scale in their streaming offering.

Bamtech is the one that has the battle tested massive scalable mass watched streaming capabilities.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    Boris: nobody told me the garden party was against the rules.

Me: you fucking idiot, it shouldn't have needed anybody to tell you - you made the fucking rules and announced them day after tedious day.

Apologies for the poor language, but honestly......
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited January 2022

glw said:

I use iPlayer Beta on our main 4K TV and it's definitely trying to get up there with Netflix. Feels a lot smoother and also has the "Skip Intro" option that the other players have had for a while.

Never had a problem with the live or recorded 4K content on iPlayer either, whereas Amazon Prime Video's 4K stream fell over during their last set of Premier League games for me.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Offtopic

Anyone else seen that New Zealand quietly closed their borders last night
    Aaron Dahmen
    @dahmenaaron
    On Twitter, at 7.47pm on a Tuesday night, the country of New Zealand effectively shuts its border. No one, other than those with an MIQ room already secured/emergency allocations, can come home. And there’s no fixed end date. Inconceivable.

You can't travel without an MIQ quarantine room booked so unless you've already got one allocated you aren't going back to New Zealand for a (long) while.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Is profane abuse directed at other posters really "naff all"?
    About time a certain incoherent Scottish oaf with a love for all things Salmond was banned then?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

As a matter of curiosity has there ever been such an action or a serious threat of one?
    My standard boring reminder that the site may have a bit of residual liability but the person principally at risk is the individual poster. The more identifiable and well heeled the poster, the more self-interest should temper their exuberance. For the less identifiable OGH is entirely at liberty to hand over their email and IP address to buy himself out of trouble.

ETA but yes rcs and tse do apparently hear from Carter fuck from time to time

C & Ping over liberally from the Times also attracts the attention of the legal prof
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Ah diddums.

Skip.
    to my loo

• Options

Watching Boris interview on Sky he looks broken and I would not be surprised if he did resign on the publication of the report

He isn't that self aware. Must be a bit of a shock to him that he is suddenly so unpopular. Perhaps he can get in touch with Tony Blair on how to deal with it
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Get rid of him!
    ScottXP is a prodigous poster, but I think this is the most he's ever made me laugh. Not even the mildly comedic observation at the end of the sentence, just the first 15 words. It's as if Boris is actively trying to alienate people.
    I'm quite a fan of excuses which may be technically correct but will go down extremely poorly. It's in the same category as 'it's crown property so the rules don't apply' (from the same source), and Gordon Brown's memorable 'no, I only promised to abolish TORY boom and bust'.
    Politicians need to realise that they are held to a higher standard, so "it's technically legal" doesn't wash.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No request was made for a flight over Germany, so none was refused:

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1483409346260353025?t=w4Vh_u-fpeSr--10HLmyVg&s=19
  • Options

Boris: nobody told me the garden party was against the rules.

Me: you fucking idiot, it shouldn't have needed anybody to tell you - you made the fucking rules and announced them day after tedious day.

Apologies for the poor language, but honestly......

Totally fair. This is pityable stuff. Time's up.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,654
    Trouble with the BBC issue is that most people would agree the funding model needs a rethink, but entrusting this to Nadine Dorries is not most sensible people's idea of a solution. It's the same problem any Tory government will have with NHS reform, but at least they generally avoid putting people in charge of health who are actively hostile to the NHS.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

You are wrong, I am a massive MMA fan, and I watch Bellator. But I am probably about one of a handful watching it.

It actually a good example of the BBC deciding it HAD to get into a sport that the is big in youth culture, but can't afford to buy the UFC rights, so rather than say well we can't get into that sector, they paid money for a second / third tier offering. It is absolutely tiny niche appeal.
    Doesn't stop them endlessly tweeting about it.
  • Options
    I still haven’t forgiven the BBC for foregoing the F1 rights in order to broadcast the fucking Voice, or whatever it was.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    RH1992 said:

glw said:

I use iPlayer Beta on our main 4K TV and it's definitely trying to get up there with Netflix. Feels a lot smoother and also has the "Skip Intro" option that the other players have had for a while.

Never had a problem with the live or recorded 4K content on iPlayer either, whereas Amazon Prime Video's 4K stream fell over during their last set of Premier League games for me.
    Remember though you are comparing apples with oranges. 4k offering on BBC is a) tiny amount of content and b) hardly anybody is eligible, there is no scale. As soon as it gets demand, it falls over too e.g Euro Finals.

And the iPlayer 4k offering has been in "beta" for how many years now? I believe they first showed 4k content 5 years ago....And still not progressed to its being a full product available to everybody.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Alistair's SA Update.

SA Data update randomness is absolutely wacky. Initially it looked like the data for week 2 was going to be rather bad (Admissions flat, deaths up) now it looks like we'll have admissions down a full 25% week on week and deaths down 8%.

But just to show the dangers of lagged data and why everyone confidentially proclaiming "SA shows it's just a cold" when I stopped tracking week 52 deaths they were at 703, now with lagged data in week 52 deaths are 1012. That's over 25% of their Delta peak (and SA excess deaths figures shows they are massively undercounting Covid deaths).

https://www.samrc.ac.za/reports/report-weekly-deaths-south-africa
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Get rid of him!
    Politicians need to realise that they are held to a higher standard, so "it's technically legal" doesn't wash.
    Yes, but he's parsing to the nth degree to avoid the lethal 'lied to the house' charge being proved beyond all doubt.
  • Options
    eek said:

Offtopic

Aaron Dahmen
    @dahmenaaron
    On Twitter, at 7.47pm on a Tuesday night, the country of New Zealand effectively shuts its border. No one, other than those with an MIQ room already secured/emergency allocations, can come home. And there’s no fixed end date. Inconceivable.

You can't travel without an MIQ quarantine room booked so unless you've already got one allocated you aren't going back to New Zealand for a (long) while.

Thanks for that

I was not aware of it and my son was hoping to revist NZ later this year where he lived from 2003 - 2015 and was caught up in ground zero in the Christchurch earthquake
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yeah - Ok - one was a baddie but I genuinely cannot see why Isam was banned (and still is).
    @isam opinion on Johnsons charisma and common touch would be quite diverting right now...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Get rid of him!
    Yes, but he's parsing to the nth degree to avoid the lethal 'lied to the house' charge being proved beyond all doubt.
    Not knowing the rules and when he sees a party?! Is he a sentient being? The flat-coated retriever puppy in a story on dog intelligence currently in the Graun could do better than that.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Both of these posters have been banned on several occasions in the past. Whilst I'd like to see them both back, there must to be some limit to how often someone gets banned before it becomes permanent.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Stocky said:

Leon should have been banned long ago. The abject dishonesty. The unacceptable personal abuse. The racism and sexism. The vulgarity, and ignorant alarmism.

Sadly, too many find his schtick mildly amusing and hence he gets away with it. Which, really, is a sad commentary on us.
  • Options
    Never mind lying, there's signs of early onset dementia here. He said that in retrospect he should have said that everybody should go back inside. The rule was not against al fresco events.

Biblical vibe to all this talk of denying things in gardens.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    eek said:

Offtopic

Aaron Dahmen
    @dahmenaaron

This is the end game for zero covid. At some point you have to accept that you are going to have an epidemic, or you shut out the world.
  • Options
    Perhaps https://www.reddit.com/r/MapsWithoutNZ/ was actually prophetic?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Applicant said:

Doesn't stop them endlessly tweeting about it.
    Its because MMA is a big sport among the young male working class demographic. But its an example of the BBC trying to get into something they don't really understand. They are trying to big up a promotion that every hardcore fan sees as a secondary promotion, where there is the odd "superstar" and big fight, but really it is full of those who can't make it in the big show.

Its a bit like buying the rights to the Challenge Tour in golf or rather than IPL in cricket you buy the Caribbean T20 league. Is that really the best use of the BBC money, especially when the commercial sector already caters to MMA fans.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    Sandpit said:

Apologies if already posted, but here is Defence Secretary Ben Wallace's thoughts on Putin and Ukraine. Taken from UK Government website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/an-article-by-the-defence-secretary-on-the-situation-in-ukraine

Interesting opening comments:

"I have lost count of how many times recently I have to had to explain the meaning of the English term “straw man” to my European allies. That is because the best living, breathing “straw man” at the moment is the Kremlin’s claim to be under threat from NATO. In recent weeks the Russian Defence Minister’s comment that the US is “preparing a provocation with chemical components in eastern Ukraine” has made that “straw man” even bigger."

BTW, I think he is a potential "dark horse" candidate for the leadership, with similar appeal to Penny Mordaunt.

That is indeed a very good piece, and worthy of note that it was published on the government website, rather than given to a newspaper.
    Does anyone think Wallace might run for leader? I don't see him doing so - I think he's got the job he wants at Defence. He'd be well up my list though if he did run.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Grade A Wanker on the Supreme Court there.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1483434822580244481
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Leon should have been banned long ago. The abject dishonesty. The unacceptable personal abuse. The racism and sexism. The vulgarity, and ignorant alarmism.

Sadly, too many find his schtick mildly amusing and hence he gets away with it. Which, really, is a sad commentary on us.
    Yes. I am deeply ashamed, Beth, and wish to apologise most humbly to the site for having inadvertently suggested that this poster was in any way amusing.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Is that like the old (Jewish?) joke of one guy asks the other how was dinner at the new restaurant the night before, and the other guy said it was dreadful, almost inedible. And the portions so small...

If you are so distressed at how sad we all are there is always the self-banning option.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    edited January 2022

I still haven’t forgiven the BBC for foregoing the F1 rights in order to broadcast the fucking Voice, or whatever it was.

I've just looked up what you could watch on the BBC on this day in 1990.
    Actually a pretty watchable evening's entertainment.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_one_london/1990-01-18
    https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_two_england/1990-01-18

EDIT: In fact, not just watchable - actually enjoyable. I'd rather have an evening with that lot to choose from than an evening with the whole of iplayer.

I don't know if they spent more per programme in those days and did fewer programmes, or were just - you know - better.
    Eastenders is unchanged of course. But I'd have avoided that back then as assiduously as I avoid it now.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,455

eek said:

Offtopic

Aaron Dahmen
    @dahmenaaron

Thanks for that

I was not aware of it and my son was hoping to revist NZ later this year where he lived from 2003 - 2015 and was caught up in ground zero in the Christchurch earthquake
    Our former neighbours were due to emigrate to NZ in 2020 - they brought flights forward but missed the border closure by - I think - three days, so never went. Still intend to go and they still have a shipping container of their posessions in NZ and they had some hope when the borders were reopening. They'll be gutted by this.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If Boris cannot currently grasp (let alone manage) what goes on in his own back yard, is it actually quite dangerous that he continues in office?

I am not sure I completely trust him to manage something important, say the Russia standoff or the cost of living crisis.

When is a war party not a war party?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Both of these posters have been banned on several occasions in the past. Whilst I'd like to see them both back, there must to be some limit to how often someone gets banned before it becomes permanent.
    I thought the site was generally against the three strikes and you're out policy.

OGH manages the site as he wishes.

As for the two posters concerned, @Isam's voice was vital if uncomfortable to many on here.

As for Leon I think it might already be a case of Le Roi est mort...
This discussion has been closed.