Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The worst political bet on the market today? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2022 in General
imageThe worst political bet on the market today? – politicalbetting.com

In betting, both sides have intrinsic advantages. Punters get to pick and choose their bets, waiting for the bookie to make an error. The bookie gets to write the terms of the bet, from odds to wording and so on. Importantly, they can offer bets on only half of a market – letting people bet on some outcomes but not others.

Read the full story here

Comments

• First. And lovely article, Quincel.
  • Q, any insight into betting opportunity for the next San Marinese general election? (Have already got Liechtenstein covered!)

Slightly more seriously, your article is interesting (as per usual) and informative (ditto). My own view has always been, that when the Koreas reunify, it will be sudden and surprising. Akin to the last major national reunification - Germany.

So putting a few bucks (or bob if you prefer) on One Korea by 2024 is like buying a lottery ticket at the gas station next time you fill 'er up. Less likely than getting crushed to death by a falling piano (or is it, you tell me!) But with a HUGE payoff IF it does happen.
  • FPT - Perhaps the fine example of John Churchill, subsequently 1st Duke of Marlborough, may be instructive at the present juncture:

> When James II took the thrown, JC was his longtime supporter AND protege, and he took a major role in suppressing Monmouth's (premature) Rebellion.

> When the "Protestant Wind" carried William of Orange (husband of James's daughter Mary) over from Holland to England, JC took the field with King James to face the invader

> But JC was increasingly disturbed, both by James's overt, intensifying Catholic agenda AND by the King's growing, expanding unpopularity in England, if not (most) of Ireland

> So when it was clear that the bulk of establishment & public opinion was behind William, JC chose his moment . . . and galloped over to William's camp.

Where JC > Duke of Marlborough remained with considerable personal & professional success - to put it most mildly. Until that is his wife Sarah pissed off W's successor & sister in law Queen Anne BIG time.

But THAT's a whole other soap opera / Masterpiece Theater special.

Choosing the right moment to abandon ship for safer haven, is a skill developed to at least some extent by all successful politicos under just about any political system. Esp. true for top-to-mid level British parliamentarians.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited January 2022
    Disappointing from England again. Australia reaching 300.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879
    I wrote a header on here and tipped a market on US elections but misread the rules... was for the election that had just happened.
  • Andy_JS said:

Be even more disappointing when England are shortly 3 down for 10 runs.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited January 2022
    Rory Burns run out in second over. Disastrous start for England.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    I found the discussion about drinking in the office yesterday interesting. I thought it was pretty normal to have drinks in the office in a social context in the evenings. Maybe however this is actually a London/big city thing, the exception not the rule.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    edited January 2022

Andy_JS said:

Be even more disappointing when England are shortly 3 down for 10 runs.
    Says 34-2 on the BBC. Better in fact than Australia were at the same stage.

And the forecast here is dry, although the clouds seem to have rolled over.
  • FPT - Perhaps the fine example of John Churchill, subsequently 1st Duke of Marlborough, may be instructive at the present juncture:
    ... ... ...

David Starkey's series, The Churchills, drawing parallels between the Duke of Marlborough and Winston, has just been made available on Starkey's Youtube channel. Part one is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgszepU0rAE
  • darkage said:

I found the discussion about drinking in the office yesterday interesting. I thought it was pretty normal to have drinks in the office in a social context in the evenings. Maybe however this is actually a London/big city thing, the exception not the rule.

I do not recall that, except for one time. But it was a feature of Yes, Minister that drinks were kept openly in the office. And of course the House of Commons has subsidised bars.
    https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/commons-catering/transparency/catering-services-opening-times-and-access---jul-2021.pdf

darkage said:

I do not recall that, except for one time. But it was a feature of Yes, Minister that drinks were kept openly in the office. And of course the House of Commons has subsidised bars.
    https://www.parliament.uk/globalassets/documents/commons-catering/transparency/catering-services-opening-times-and-access---jul-2021.pdf
    It has been the norm in the public sector policy making jobs I have been in over the years. Occasional beer/wine in the evening, usually bought in by senior managers, usually connected to the completion of some difficult work. Not so much in local government but not unthinkable. The private sector company I worked for had a drinks trolley but drunkenness and debauchery was always off site. I remember partners in the firm having a wrestling match on the street at 5 am (one was a woman), it was all part of the fun.

I've never liked it particularly, but it doesn't bother me and I wouldn't want to stop it. The issue is doing it in a lockdown, when you made up the rules that you are imposing on the rest of the country. That is inexcusable.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Andy_JS said:

How is cricket different from masochism?

darkage said:

That was then, though.

Many large companies nowadays have ‘no alcohol on duty’ rules, which includes a drink out at lunchtime as well as in the office.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Imagine how embarrassing it would be if the Sundays reveal the suitcase wasn’t just the means of delivery.

Suitcase Cocktail

1 Jack Daniels
    1 Passion fruit

Instructions:
    pour jack daniels and passion fruit into seperate shooters and chase the jack with the passion fruit
    Guardian: This was the week in which the Tory party – from cabinet ministers down to grassroots associations – started to believe that the end was nigh for Boris Johnson’s premiership.

“The problem is that he has in no way accepted that himself,” says one senior Tory adviser with knowledge of the prime minister’s inner circle.

And so began a period of what one Conservative minister described as prime ministerial “purgatory” – the gap between a leader being politically done for and the moment of their stepping down.

One person present at cabinet on Tuesday said the mood in No 10 was “total denial” about the seriousness of the situation that Johnson faces. Describing a “bizarre” and “farcical” virtual meeting, they said not a single cabinet minister mentioned the political peril that Johnson is facing.
    IanB2 said:

Guardian: This was the week in which the Tory party – from cabinet ministers down to grassroots associations – started to believe that the end was nigh for Boris Johnson’s premiership.

“The problem is that he has in no way accepted that himself,” says one senior Tory adviser with knowledge of the prime minister’s inner circle.

And so began a period of what one Conservative minister described as prime ministerial “purgatory” – the gap between a leader being politically done for and the moment of their stepping down.

One person present at cabinet on Tuesday said the mood in No 10 was “total denial” about the seriousness of the situation that Johnson faces. Describing a “bizarre” and “farcical” virtual meeting, they said not a single cabinet minister mentioned the political peril that Johnson is facing.

And read that..... and to be fair the Guardian has no interest in Johnson's survival as PM ..... alongside the 'Save Big Dog' reported in the Independent.
    I was wrong to expect the PM to find some means of 'chickening out' of PMQ's on Wednesday, but I'm prepared to try another forecast; that in a storm of faux outrage several senior Downing St staff will be sacked.
    Although they will quietly be promised, and found, comfortable jobs elsewhere. After politics has moved on.
  • Article in The Times: ‘We’re swapping a £40k nanny for a £10k au pair: preparing for the cost of living squeeze.’
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Andy_JS said:

Politics is not the only field capable of spotting squirrels.

Cricket fans should be more concerned by the culture of racism in the sport than how much a team lose a match.

PB posts recently about Ashes must number thousands
    PB posts about racism in the sport… er…

Boris Johnson is jealous. If only his PB team were that effective.
  • Article in The Times: ‘We’re swapping a £40k nanny for a £10k au pair: preparing for the cost of living squeeze.’

It's tough at the top. Though surely nannies are trained and au pairs are not.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    rkrkrk said:

In other news, my taxi driver to airport - big Boris Johnson fan. "Let him get on with the job". "I don't care about his work events". "Done a fantastic job". The works.

They exist out there. Nothing going to shake his faith, not that I tried.

And yes reader, he got a tip!

Was the tip Don't bet on Boris Johnson to get a majority at the next election?

Article in The Times: ‘We’re swapping a £40k nanny for a £10k au pair: preparing for the cost of living squeeze.’

Good luck with that. Getting an au pair used to be easy peasy lemon squeazy, when young women from mainland Europe could nip over for a couple of years to improve their English while caring for your children. Now they get arrested at the airport and detained in disgraceful conditions. So much for Brand Britain.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

Article in The Times: ‘We’re swapping a £40k nanny for a £10k au pair: preparing for the cost of living squeeze.’

My understanding is that it's ok to sleep with the au pair, but not the nanny.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    rkrkrk said:

In other news, my taxi driver to airport - big Boris Johnson fan. "Let him get on with the job". "I don't care about his work events". "Done a fantastic job". The works.

What was your tip? Stop being such a mug?
    rcs1000 said:

My understanding is that it's ok to sleep with the au pair, but not the nanny.
    Been talking to Prince Andrew?
  • Andy_JS said:

Cricket fans should be more concerned by the culture of racism in the sport than how much a team lose a match.

Top trolling. Triggered by the word "England"? There were a number of comments when it emerged.

Correct. But being an au pair is still a very responsible job. It deserves to carry good pay and conditions, just like any safety/security position.

The consequences if an au pair fecks up big time can be horrific and life-changing. Both employer and employee need to approach the contract in a somber and serious manner. Quality costs. £10k sounds ridiculously low. Must be for 20 hours pw.
  • Andy_JS said:

Top trolling. Triggered by the word "England"? There were a number of comments when it emerged.
    Unfortunately quite a few of them involved doubting the veracity of Azeem Rafiq's testimony.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    Wonder why they don't offer more attractive odds on Korea uniting in the next two years to look a little more serious. Say 100 to 1. They won't be paying it out.
  • FF43 said:

Wonder why they don't offer more attractive odds on Korea uniting in the next two years to look a little more serious. Say 100 to 1. They won't be paying it out.

PP like offering odds that garner publicity, usually on the over generous side. I suppose in a small way they've done it with this bet.

Andy_JS said:

The racism in cricket story was all over the media again a couple of days ago. Due to MPs no less threatening to withdraw millions in funding to the sport. Comments about that on PB? Zilch. Only cricket comment I saw was from DavidL (a lawyer) about the Ashes. Racism is clearly not a high priority around here.

This is the kind of Times/Telegraph article that really boils my piss. "We can only afford one skiing holiday this year"/ "We had to put little Jemima in a state school"/ "We can only afford to run our boiling water tap half the year" etc etc. Meanwhile there are kids going to school hungry or living six people in a one bed flat... Reminds me, must go and sharpen my pitchfork.

Andy_JS said:

Unfortunately quite a few of them involved doubting the veracity of Azeem Rafiq's testimony.
    Standard behaviour in English society: shoot the messenger.

Cf Boris Johnson: thousands of Conservatives did try to warn the party about the man’s character flaws. What happened? The party forced out the messengers and appointed the man sacked from several high profile jobs for mendacity.

This is the kind of Times/Telegraph article that really boils my piss. "We can only afford one skiing holiday this year"/ "We had to put little Jemima in a state school"/ "We can only afford to run our boiling water tap half the year" etc etc. Meanwhile there are kids going to school hungry or living six people in a one bed flat... Reminds me, must go and sharpen my pitchfork.
    Indeed. Though the Guardian also runs the odd "first world problem" article from time to time.
    Suggestions that some of the lockdown parties may have taken place inside Johnson's no. 10 (11) flat? Perhaps this will be tomorrow's breaking news?
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997

Andy_JS said:

The whole point of sporting endeavour is to discuss the play, the players, and the results. It doesn't mean you are unconcerned about deep-rooted problems in the game. It also doesn't mean you are in favour of racial discrimination because you fail to talk about it all the time.

What is Scottish cricket doing to investigate institutional racism in the game?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited January 2022
    IanB2 said:

Suggestions that some of the lockdown parties may have taken place inside Johnson's no. 10 (11) flat? Perhaps this will be tomorrow's breaking news?

I hope Boris did not spill wine on his new £250,000 sofa.

ETA maybe he spilled wine on the old sofa and then needed to replace it.

FF43 said:

PP like offering odds that garner publicity, usually on the over generous side. I suppose in a small way they've done it with this bet.
    Exactly. Classic marketing ploy: do something unusual and you’re all over the media in no time.

At least the Paddy Power ploy was planned. Unlike that other “unusual” behaviour currently gathering attention, eg the “Minister for the Union” (sic) and the “Earl of Inverness” (sic).

Are they Remain voters happily downing Costa lattes served by oppressed EU workers?

Andy_JS said:

The whole point of sporting endeavour is to discuss the play, the players, and the results. It doesn't mean you are unconcerned about deep-rooted problems in the game. It also doesn't mean you are in favour of racial discrimination because you fail to talk about it all the time.

Excellent whataboutery.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,597

FPT - Perhaps the fine example of John Churchill, subsequently 1st Duke of Marlborough, may be instructive at the present juncture:

> When James II took the thrown, JC was his longtime supporter AND protege, and he took a major role in suppressing Monmouth's (premature) Rebellion.

> When the "Protestant Wind" carried William of Orange (husband of James's daughter Mary) over from Holland to England, JC took the field with King James to face the invader

> But JC was increasingly disturbed, both by James's overt, intensifying Catholic agenda AND by the King's growing, expanding unpopularity in England, if not (most) of Ireland

> So when it was clear that the bulk of establishment & public opinion was behind William, JC chose his moment . . . and galloped over to William's camp.

Where JC > Duke of Marlborough remained with considerable personal & professional success - to put it most mildly. Until that is his wife Sarah pissed off W's successor & sister in law Queen Anne BIG time.

But THAT's a whole other soap opera / Masterpiece Theater special.

Choosing the right moment to abandon ship for safer haven, is a skill developed to at least some extent by all successful politicos under just about any political system. Esp. true for top-to-mid level British parliamentarians.

John Churchill was a piece of work.

I like the (somewhat true) story that the French had some incredible intelligence on the plans of the Allied armies. Except for JCs plans, strangely. The intelligence was always wrong about those.... Or not so strangely - since JC was (so they claim) selling the other generals plans. This gave JC another income stream, allowed him to manipulate the French plans and be the most successful general....

You are aware that this articles are designed, by experts, to boil your piss?

Much as the Daily Heil articles on immigrants are designed to boil the piss of another group?

Which in turn allows other papers to write articles about the Dail Heils articles about immigrants to boil the piss of another group....

Anger keeps the newspapers rolling.....

Andy_JS said:

Excellent whataboutery.
    So do you believe that it is OK for Scottish cricket to be racist, or do you just believe it doesn't exist? By your own argument your failure to talk about it means that you condone it.

Andy_JS said:

Cf Boris Johnson: thousands of Conservatives did try to warn the party about the man’s character flaws. What happened? The party forced out the messengers and appointed the man sacked from several high profile jobs for mendacity.

It happens everywhere - seen it in France, Germany, Ireland, US, Canada....

In fact, the number of times that shooting the messenger isn't the offhand response of the Big Boss... hmm I'm trying to think.

I've tried introducing Just Culture in a few places. The reactions are interesting... "But if we don't have someone to lynch, how can we prove we are dealing with the issue?"
    Has the parish councillor (PC) published the latest Scottish sub-sample proving that the Conservatives are about to triumphantly gain Gordon from the SNP? Must have missed it.

SNP 53%
    SCon 21%
    SLD 10%
    SLab 10%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    oth 1%

(YouGov are the only pollster to routinely correctly weight geographical sub-samples; Fieldwork: 12th - 13th January 2022; Weighted sample = 145)

I’m sure HY will be along in a minute to hail this as a victory for the Union, again.
    rkrkrk said:

Represents the view of about 30% of the electorate and one rather beleaguered poster on this site. I suppose the calculation for Tory MPs and party managers is whether he will transfer his enthusiasm to a n other Tory leader and whether that leader will be a net gain.

Andy_JS said:

In fact, the number of times that shooting the messenger isn't the offhand response of the Big Boss... hmm I'm trying to think.

I've tried introducing Just Culture in a few places. The reactions are interesting... "But if we don't have someone to lynch, how can we prove we are dealing with the issue?"
    Excellent whataboutery.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

Andy_JS said:

Where did you see anything on institutional racism in Scottish cricket John. I must have missed that. Nice squirrel though.

Correct. But being an au pair is still a very responsible job. It deserves to carry good pay and conditions, just like any safety/security position.

The consequences if an au pair fecks up big time can be horrific and life-changing. Both employer and employee need to approach the contract in a somber and serious manner. Quality costs. £10k sounds ridiculously low. Must be for 20 hours pw.
    The au pair system works by "paying" the au pair in free lodging, free food (family meals). If you have a house with a spare bedroom....

The 10K will be a combination of the pocket money they get per week and things like the cost of paying for the au pair to come on the family holidays....
  • IanB2 said:

I hope Boris did not spill wine on his new £250,000 sofa.

ETA maybe he spilled wine on the old sofa and then needed to replace it.
    Why? Are you one of the mystery donors?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Malmesbury, reminds me of the foolish conduct of Tigranes the Great.

Andy_JS said:

Excellent whataboutery.
    So do you believe that it is OK for Scottish cricket to be racist, or do you just believe it doesn't exist? By your own argument your failure to talk about it means that you condone it.
    When the MPs were threatening to withdraw money, they were talking about English cricket. Sport is devolved in Scotland, Wales and N Ireland. I’m not aware of their legislatures threatening to abandon the game.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,116

Has the parish councillor (PC) published the latest Scottish sub-sample proving that the Conservatives are about to triumphantly gain Gordon from the SNP? Must have missed it.

SNP 53%
    SCon 21%
    SLD 10%
    SLab 10%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    oth 1%

(YouGov are the only pollster to routinely correctly weight geographical sub-samples; Fieldwork: 12th - 13th January 2022; Weighted sample = 145)

I’m sure HY will be along in a minute to hail this as a victory for the Union, again.

That Slab figure does surprise me, even now. Scon, not quite so much - the bedrock British nationalists.

Would be rather different for Holyrood of course - a lot more Green, though whether that comes from SNP, Labour, SLD and/or all of them is a good question.

But subsamples.

Andy_JS said:

That's clearly anti-English racism. I might as well accuse the the Scots of being ungenerous with their money.

The SOP in the Civil Service is of course, find the most junior person involved and scapegoat them.
    IanB2 said:

darkage said:

That was then, though.

Many large companies nowadays have ‘no alcohol on duty’ rules, which includes a drink out at lunchtime as well as in the office.
    I've worked in startups - where the rule seemed to be a beer or 2 (bottles) if you are working late (past 8pm) along with the free pizza/takeaway.

All the bigger outfits seem to have "Open containers in the office = sacking" rules in the contracts, these days
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,701

Andy_JS said:

The racism in cricket story was all over the media again a couple of days ago. Due to MPs no less threatening to withdraw millions in funding to the sport. Comments about that on PB? Zilch. Only cricket comment I saw was from DavidL (a lawyer) about the Ashes. Racism is clearly not a high priority around here.
    Anti English xenophobia, on the other hand :wink:
  • Scott_xP said:
    Govey is the only senior player likely to go in early on. Sunak, Truss and Hunt have too much to lose, May would feel like sour grapes. Gove is in last chance saloon for leadership anyway and could get convinced by Cummings that it is a good tactic to attack now.

Andy_JS said:

That's clearly anti-English racism. I might as well accuse the the Scots of being ungenerous with their money.

The SOP in the Civil Service is of course, find the most junior person involved and scapegoat them.
    That's SOP in badly run organisations. Large, small, public, private.

To be accurate, they tend to scapegoat the most senior person *outside the magic circle* of Top People.

Andy_JS said:

It’s certainly nationalist stereotyping, no,different to Alan Partridge when he said all French people say ‘hoh-heh-ohh’ and his TV show from France had a man with a beret holding a baguette wearing a black and white hooped jumper.

I doubt it’s out and out racism more xenophobic.
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:
    From that field, my money's on Mrs M!

The others are walking a tightrope - no fingerprints on the knife, but nothing to suggest afterwards that they condoned the behaviour that will surely bring the clown down.
    edited January 2022
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

It’s certainly nationalist stereotyping, no,different to Alan Partridge when he said all French people say ‘hoh-heh-ohh’ and his TV show from France had a man with a beret holding a baguette wearing a black and white hooped jumper.

Look at the two of you - a discussion specifically about English cricket and you assume that any criticism of English society is racism or xenophobia. The comment did not imply that any other nations are or are not different.
    Scott_xP said:
    Sunak hasn't provided any real support in the first place. "Johnson is right to apologise" is in the "so and so has much to be modest about" category.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    I worked for three PMs in No 10.

“Boss, lockdown party. Drop in, say few words?”

TB: Bad, bad idea. Talk to JP/PM/AC. No.

GB: If I see hint of party I will kill you. Work on global vaccination. Get @POTUS on phone, now.

DC: WTF? Talk to Ed: you’ll be happy in Mongolia.

https://twitter.com/TFletcher/status/1482089635010465792
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Look at the two of you - a discussion specifically about English cricket and you assume that any criticism of English society is racism. The comment did not imply that any other nations are or are not different.
    I never said racism. 🥱
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Good piece @Quincel, always be wary of bookies only offering one side of a bet. A lot of their ‘specials’ come under this category, and if they’re only offering one side it’s fair to say the odds are not likely to be in the punter’s favour.
    Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Look at the two of you - a discussion specifically about English cricket and you assume that any criticism of English society is racism. The comment did not imply that any other nations are or are not different.
    I never said racism. 🥱
    Sorry; quite right; corrected. Apologies.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Stuart England bashes habitually, in the same fashion as HYUFD parrots whatever the Tory leadership's line is this morning. It's just what they do.

Of course, given that we don't actually know either of these people, we have no idea how much of this is based on deep-rooted biases and how much is just done to provoke a response. A work colleague of mine once admitted that he sometimes went on social media, when bored, drunk or both, to join conversations full of very earnest far left types and troll them. It was done for (low quality) entertainment and to provoke a response.

I don't know if either the England bashing or the Tory shilling is done out of conviction or to get people to bite, but it tells us nothing useful regardless.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited January 2022
    I know it is not a political bet but the bet identified by Pip is not as bad as backing England to win this test patch.

As for worst political bet ever?

Publicity Shy Paddy Power once had a betting market on whether a porn video featuring Donald Trump would be released in his first term (offering only one side of the bet.)

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/09/14/porn-in-the-u-s-a/
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

I never said racism. 🥱
    Sorry; quite right; corrected. Apologies.
    Appreciated. Thanks

Andy_JS said:

Just culture makes a huge difference to an organisation, once everyone stops trying to scapegoat those who admit mistakes. They way to prove they’re dealing with an issue, by refining processes and systems to prevent the same mistake happening again.

People don’t get fired for honest mistakes in high-performing industries such as F1 teams, airlines and nuclear power plants, which is why we see reducing numbers of accidents in these industries over time.
    Very interesting from @PeterKellner1 pointing out that Boris Johnson's supposed "popularity" is largely mythical - his triumph in Dec 2019 election was based on the enormous unpopularity of Corbyn. Worth a read. https://twitter.com/PeterKellner1/status/1482269865595580416
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Currently on my way to Holy Island in Northumberland. I’ll bring you all back some mead.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    @stodge @MoonRabbit
    I am out today so have done horses based on a quick 5 minute look, good luck to you

Trixie
    Earth Company 15:50 Kempton
    Our Jet 12:27 Wetherby
    Fransham 14:12 Wetherby

Single EW
    Gelino Bello 2:40 Kempton
  • I'm somewhat amused that in the week we have Gray squirrelling away information about garden parties, we get the Red squirrel thrown out and it's Gardiner from the other party.

Currently on my way to Holy Island in Northumberland. I’ll bring you all back some mead.

Have a nice time. There's quite a nice walk out past the castle and limekiln and widdershins northabout past the dunes and lake.
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Just culture makes a huge difference to an organisation, once everyone stops trying to scapegoat those who admit mistakes. They way to prove they’re dealing with an issue, by refining processes and systems to prevent the same mistake happening again.

People don’t get fired for honest mistakes in high-performing industries such as F1 teams, airlines and nuclear power plants, which is why we see reducing numbers of accidents in these industries over time.
    Once upon a time ..... how long ago it seems now ..... I was part of a group trying to make sure that such a culture was to be found in the NHS.

One of the questions I still haven't resolved in my own mind is, when an NHS Trust, or similar is 'fined', who pays? It's clearly not the people at the top who, generally speaking move on somewhere else.
    Tobias Ellwood says ‘We need leadership’ the PM must ‘lead or step aside’ - will be very interesting to see what younger generation of Tories, whether junior ministers or senior MPs like Ellwood do in the coming days
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1482272829718552582
    Scott_xP said:
    A better comparison [than Lloyd George's scandals], though, is Richard Nixon, a man of extraordinary political gifts—far more so than Johnson—laid low by a scandal that came to represent all of his character flaws, which everyone already knew about.

Like Watergate, Partygate reveals the character traits that have long defined Johnson, but that, until the scandal, were seen as either irrelevant or even positive when dealing with Brexit. Now, applied to the pandemic, they are seen as disqualifying.

The great irony of Johnson is that he seems to understand his own weaknesses better than most politicians do, yet he remains unable to do anything about them, drawn like some giant blond moth to the flame of his own political undoing...it’s clear that Johnson was always aware that his lifelong quest to become prime minister would leave him and all his character flaws exposed for the world to see.

If humans are creatures of the imagination, as Johnson says [in a past interview], they do not let their leader off on some technicality when the basic truth is that he didn’t think the rules everybody else was following applied to him. Whether he likes it or not, Johnson is now the evil king in the great Partygate scandal. That story has been written. As such, he is now close to his end, for the sake of a national rebirth from this sordid tale of contempt.

Johnson can only hope that he survives long enough to eventually distract voters with a different story altogether. That won’t be easy.
    Carnyx said:

Have a nice time. There's quite a nice walk out past the castle and limekiln and widdershins northabout past the dunes and lake.
    Years ago, on Holy Island, I had one of, if not the, tastiest crab sandwiches I've ever eaten.
    The Earl of Inverness scandal spreads. Latest witnesses due to be contacted include the Duke of Rothesay, Sarah Ferguson and Princess Beatrice.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    edited January 2022
    If you managed to get a bet with PP the other way around at those odds I imagine they'd email you to cancel the bet claiming manifest error or the like.
    IanB2 said:

Like Watergate, Partygate reveals the character traits that have long defined Johnson, but that, until the scandal, were seen as either irrelevant or even positive when dealing with Brexit. Now, applied to the pandemic, they are seen as disqualifying.

Was reflecting on the Tory leadership hustings in Perth in 2019 when party members loudly booed a woman (also a member) for asking Boris Johnson about character and if it was important to be a good husband and a father. [They knew what they were getting and they didn’t care] https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1482259312391168001/photo/1
    "So far, so predictable. The interesting thing about this winter’s series of scrapes is that this time Boris Johnson isn’t getting away with it."

🚫 Boris Johnson isn't getting away with it this time - @adamboultonTABB:

https://reaction.life/boris-johnson-isnt-getting-away-with-it-this-time/
    In terms of worst bets possible, I've got a couple of quid on Robert Jenrick as next conservative leader.
    darkage said:

In terms of worst bets possible, I've got a couple of quid on Robert Jenrick as next conservative leader.

Why?

The au pair system works by "paying" the au pair in free lodging, free food (family meals). If you have a house with a spare bedroom....

The 10K will be a combination of the pocket money they get per week and things like the cost of paying for the au pair to come on the family holidays....
    Hope those benefits are being declared to the Inland Revenue.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited January 2022

Andy_JS said:

Quite. One of the weirdest comments I've seen in a long time. I'm sure he's having a satisfied chuckle now but practically any post on any matter of culture or politics could be countered with 'well why aren't you talking about racism/sexism in X?'

Why are we ever discussing anything without simultaneously talking about ingrained social or racial issues surrounding that thing?

darkage said:

Why?
    It was about 350/1. He was a rising star once.
    edited January 2022

Hope those benefits are being declared to the Inland Revenue.
    Interestingly, the benefits in kind seem to be discounted for tax - but the Home Office might be the source of most of the actual hassle.

https://www.gov.uk/au-pairs-employment-law/au-pairs

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Once upon a time ..... how long ago it seems now ..... I was part of a group trying to make sure that such a culture was to be found in the NHS.

One of the questions I still haven't resolved in my own mind is, when an NHS Trust, or similar is 'fined', who pays? It's clearly not the people at the top who, generally speaking move on somewhere else.
    I imagine that the public sector is about as far away from a just culture as it’s possible to get - although Mrs @Cyclefree will no doubt say that banks are the same - with everyone looking to their next move and plotting against their colleagues, mistakes resulting in punishment therefore more likely to be covered up until they become too serious, and the senior managers apparently not responsible for the culture, appearing in another similar job quickly even when they are fired for the most egregious offences.
    edited January 2022

The Earl of Inverness scandal spreads. Latest witnesses due to be contacted include the Duke of Rothesay, Sarah Ferguson and Princess Beatrice.

Duke of Albany surely? It's remarkable just how many evil dukes of Albany there have been. From the first one who usurped the throne, killed the first in line and attempted to kill the second in line. The one who tried to sell part of Scotland to England. The one who was a high ranking Nazi involved in the concentration camps. Now this one.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited January 2022
    If Paddy Power are offering 2/1 on a re-united Korea in the next two years, what are they offering on a united Ireland in the same timeframe?
    Carnyx said:

Did that walk a few months back myself. And very nice indeed it was.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Speaking of which, I can't image any of those organisations being run with a shambolic pub-office culture like No 10.
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Before Christmas I spotted a significant error by a highway authority on some work they had authorised, I got their managers to correct it before any harm was done. The person involved has nonetheless just been promoted!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited January 2022

If Paddy Power are offering 2/1 on a re-united Korea in the next two years, what are they offering on a united Ireland in the same timeframe?

5/1 on a Vote on Irish Unification to pass before Jan 1st 2030

https://www.paddypower.com/politics/irish-politics
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Why?
    It was about 350/1. He was a rising star once.
    The perils of chasing boasting rights on PB.
This discussion has been closed.