Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Now a 58% betting chance that the PM won’t survive 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Sir Roger Gale wants him out. First to break cover?
    He says today's statement shows he wilfully misled the House.

Gale's wanted him gone for ages.
    Gale was a key member of Team Hunt in 2019, no surprise there
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Scott_xP said:

A Tory grandee turned to a member of the 2019 intake of MPs, who may play a decisive role in deciding Boris Johnson’s future, to ask their thoughts on PM’s statement. The 2019er told their fellow MP that the PM’s statement was meaningless and it’s over for him
    https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1481252611093409792

But that’s rubbish, there was so much truth and meaning in the statement, it told us so much.

“I apologise for not going to a party but what looked to me as a work event, that I realised in hindsight was still illegal in the law I created and we were enforcing outside of our own government buildings”
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    alex_ said:

One of the most endearing traits of the U.K. is the extent to which Britons loath hypocrisy.

Most of Boris' scandals didn't stick to him because he wasn't hypocritical about them.

But now that he has committed the cardinal sin of British politics, he's in serious trouble.

https://twitter.com/Yascha_Mounk/status/1481244604905459715?s=20

“Britons loathe hypocrisy”? Eh?

In other countries British hypocrisy is seen as practically a core national characteristic! Although I suppose loathing it perhaps even makes the perception even more true!
    I think British, or some would say more specifically English, hypocrisy centres on politeness and manners. Moral hypocrisy is definitely disliked, but often indulged.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

LOL!

@iainjwatson

Treasury sources say that 'time constraints' are preventing @RishiSunak from doing media interviews today

In one thing HYUFD is correct - Rishi won't want to weld the sword, because of potential backlash. While a stalking horse candidate is not how it works, whoever actually delivers the blow will not be someone who expects to get the crown...
    Unless no one major delivers the blow of course.
    For all we know the 54th letter could be going in at any time. From 54 highly obscure people.
    We won't know till it has happened though.
    Yes, and the letters are anonymous, so no-one except Sir Graham knows when they arrived. Then it’s an immediate and straight vote of confidence, YES/NO.
    I wonder if the little noticed removal of the Whip from Anne Marie Morris this morning may have reduced the total by one?
    What was Ms Morris’s offence?
    Voting to cut VAT on gas & electricity.
    Ah okay, voting on an Opposition day motion. Silly thing to be suspended for, the PM might need all the votes he can get by next week.

That VAT cut is a banana skin for the government too, they should have dropped it on Day 1 of leaving the EU, same as they did with tampons.
    Brings in too much money though and opens up a follow up question about all the Green Taxes / subsidies that form part of your average home's energy bill.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Sir Roger Gale wants him out. First to break cover?
    He says today's statement shows he wilfully misled the House.

Gale's wanted him gone for ages.
    Yes but. He's the first to say he wilfully misled.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Scott_xP said:

This is the image Labour shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves just tweeted out… https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1481254601865183232/photo/1

Labour are terrified of the Tories having the first non-white Prime Minister, even if he is a squillionaire. Then the Tories will have had him and 2 female PMs before Labour have had anyone other than white males.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    FTSE above 7,500.
    Not before time.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885

https://twitter.com/SirRogerGale/status/1481249367793315840

Sir Roger Gale MP
    @SirRogerGale
    ‘Bring a bottle’ to a ‘work event’ is a novel idea! Very thin ice indeed.

No one's buying it...

To be fair it’s got to be a more fun day at work than a “bring your child to work” day. And for some people it’s probably easier to choose which bottle to take to work than which child as you know how many bottles you have and keep them in the same place.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Another reason Boris might survive is of course cui Bono’s from his departure now? We’re still not thru the pandemic. Economic pain looms

This is a really bad time to become leader AND change leader.

I reckon Tories will stay the blade. He limps on. Everyone watches the polls. If anger fades and he’s less than 10% behind Labour in December he probably makes it to the GE. Less than 5%: definitely
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022

One of the most endearing traits of the U.K. is the extent to which Britons loath hypocrisy.

Most of Boris' scandals didn't stick to him because he wasn't hypocritical about them.

But now that he has committed the cardinal sin of British politics, he's in serious trouble.

Its hypocrisy and when people are personally affected. Expenses scandal, we all paid for it and MPs bought loads of stuff they shouldn't have morally, while everybody else was watching the pennies post 2008 crisis....

Somebody paying for Boris wallpaper, minimal impact. Same as Blair cash for honours didn't torpedo him.

Why party gate is such a killer is everybody was seriously affected by these restrictions.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    moonshine said:

ping said:

Punters, It’s worth paying attention to @HYUFD

Sunak may well be too tainted by Cummings, in any post Boris leadership election.

HYUFD as an ardent Pro Jonnsonite is a small subset of the relevant voting groups. Certainly with the MPs, who almost all used him for party gain. By the time it gets to the selectorate, I doubt Cummings will be a major factor in choosing between Sunak vs AN Other
    Already Sunak is no longer ahead of Truss amongst party members but neck and neck at most.

Remember it is we Tory members who will get the final say on who our next PM is if Boris is forced out before the next general election, not voters at large and not even Tory MPs (who can only pick the final 2).

As a Tory member I was planning to vote for Sunak until this week as next Tory leader but if Cummings' treachery forces Boris out I now may well vote for whoever is against Sunak in the last 2, even Truss given she has said she now backs our constitutional monarchy.
  • Options
    The Minister of State for Northern Ireland follows the Paymaster General as next pea shooter to defend the PM on WATO.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,114
    Lest we forget, in other parts of England, 7 weeks before this party, people were being told not to congregate in their own gardens

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-garden-lockdown-rules-south-yorkshire-police-rotherham-a9459146.html
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Having seen a good chunk of PMQs then Boris ought to be toast. His party should be getting rid of him pronto. It probably is a Cummings coup but it doesn't matter. Boris put himself into this position by a serious lack of judgement on several occasions. He was able to ride out storms as Mayor of London but it ought not to be possible as PM.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Be kind, Conservative MPs. Put the fool out of the misery.

Indeed!

Boris has become as pathetic as Brown in his final weeks and months.
    To be honest, I think Brown actually had a really good last few weeks and months in office in many ways. It was the financial crisis and in many ways he was in his element as a big, serious figure on the international stage. His authority on that level, certainly, hadn't drained away. World leaders including Obama and Merkel speak very highly of his role at that time, and his leadership on some of the issues.

The elephant in the room was that he was well behind in the polls domestically and having bold plans to reform the international financial system isn't worth many votes - although he'd recovered a little in the final six months.

So I agree Brown was doomed, and had many flaws as PM, but I dispute the view that he was cowering and lacking in all authority as Johnson is.
    Congratulations, Sir Norfolk, on succinctly and accurately characterising Brown's tenure as PM.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

ping said:

Sunak may well be too tainted by Cummings, in any post Boris leadership election.

HYUFD as an ardent Pro Jonnsonite is a small subset of the relevant voting groups. Certainly with the MPs, who almost all used him for party gain. By the time it gets to the selectorate, I doubt Cummings will be a major factor in choosing between Sunak vs AN Other
    Already Sunak is no longer ahead of Truss amongst party members but neck and neck at most.

Remember it is we Tory members who will get the final say on who our next PM is if Boris is forced out before the next general election, not voters at large and not even Tory MPs (who can only pick the final 2).

As a Tory member I was planning to vote for Sunak until this week as next Tory leader but if Cummings' treachery forces Boris out I now may well vote for whoever is against Sunak in the last 2, even Truss given she has said she now backs our constitutional monarchy.
    An interesting dilemma for you would be Sunak vs Hunt.

I think you’d probably vote Sunak, right?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Pulpstar said:

FTSE above 7,500.
    Not before time.

Been a tough start to the year, still down a big wedge mind you.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

ping said:

I reckon you would be well served to go and spend 24 hours doing and thinking about something else than politics.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    DougSeal said:

Lest we forget, in other parts of England, 7 weeks before this party, people were being told not to congregate in their own gardens

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-garden-lockdown-rules-south-yorkshire-police-rotherham-a9459146.html

By police who didn't know the rules....not sure what your point is there.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Having seen a good chunk of PMQs then Boris ought to be toast. His party should be getting rid of him pronto. It probably is a Cummings coup but it doesn't matter. Boris put himself into this position by a serious lack of judgement on several occasions. He was able to ride out storms as Mayor of London but it ought not to be possible as PM.

After the May elections looks like the ideal time to me.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Boris is doing serious damage to the Tory party.

Cummings is trying to do serious damage to the Tory Party and if he wants a Tory civil war he will get one
    You and your tank v the conservative mps whose jobs are facing extinction
    They aren't, the last polls had Labour just 3-5% ahead before this attempted Cummings coup.

Even after most Tory voters want Boris to stay according to the polls last night. In any case the next general election is over 2 years away
    You keep saying "attempted Cummings coup" as if you've come up with a clever new line.

But did Cummings force Johnson to hold those parties? Did he force him to lie repeatedly as it emerged?

No doubt Cummings is loving all this, but your desperate desire to see Johnson as the poor victim, so you can kiss it better, is ludicrous. He has brought ALL of this on himself.
    There was no party, merely some after work thankyou drinks Boris briefly attended in a month beaches like Durdle Door were packed.

This is a Cummings attempted coup, no more no less
    Lets pull this apart:
    There was no party, merely some after work thankyou drinks

You are clear this was not a work event - this was "after work". So that's you saying the PM is wrong to say it was a work event.

The email went to 100 people - so this was not "after work" in that the 100 people were all not working together on the same thing. A "please join us" round robin is by definition being sent to people not part of whatever work was being done immediately before it.

"thankyou drinks" - or as the email put it "socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden" was illegal. A minister restated that such things were illegal a few hours before on TV

Boris briefly attended in a month beaches like Durdle Door were packed.

You confirm his illegal attendance at an illegal event - thanks

"beaches were packed". Mmmm, and the police were out moving people on and issuing fines for the people most flagrantly breaching the law. Sending out an invite to 100 people for an illegal event is more flagrant than many of the people prosecuted.

I do appreciate the mental gymnastics you are doing to keep defending this. But when it fails, when he is dragged out of Downing Street he will be gone but the way that you have debased yourself here will remain.
    Agree. This is just like the MrEd justification post this morning: It's ok because other people were doing it. Try that in a court of law. If valid you would have to let off every criminal because another criminal had done it before. It is a bizarre argument.
    What, MrEd was defending this with some gymnastic false equivalence? Well well well.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    ping said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

ping said:

I would have done, I now might even vote Hunt (he is relatively pro life for example).

If Boris is forced out midterm after leading our party to a landslide just 2 years ago by a Cummings coup to try and install Sunak, I don't think I could forgive Sunak as that would be rewarding Cummings.

As said earlier I would almost prefer to lose to Starmer Labour than reward Cummings for his treachery. Starmer is not Corbyn after all and at least not as much of a shit as Cummings is
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    DougSeal said:

Well that was seven weeks before so not obvious what the relevance is?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    So the Tory party as a whole is now in the position of a wife, having discovered yet another infidelity by her husband and being given the "It didn't mean anything to me" excuse, having to decide whether to stay with him for the sake of the children or chuck him out.

The PM is thinking: "Well, 3 wives were fine with this. Why wouldn't you be."
  • Options
    Leon said:

Another reason Boris might survive is of course cui Bono’s from his departure now? We’re still not thru the pandemic. Economic pain looms

This is a really bad time to become leader AND change leader.

I reckon Tories will stay the blade. He limps on. Everyone watches the polls. If anger fades and he’s less than 10% behind Labour in December he probably makes it to the GE. Less than 5%: definitely

I do wonder if Sir Graham Brady is following up each letter with a "I don't think you wanted to send that today" phone call - just to keep things ticking over...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Tory MP at PMQs: “I recently visited my local jobcentre”. This is sensible forward planning and I commend her for it.

https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/1481240494868942850?s=21
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

ping said:

I would have done, I now might even vote Hunt (he is relatively pro life for example).

If Boris is forced out midterm after leading our party to a landslide just 2 years ago by a Cummings coup to try and install Sunak, I don't think I could forgive Sunak as that would be rewarding Cummings.

As said earlier I would almost prefer to lose to Starmer Labour than reward Cummings for his treachery. Starmer is not Corbyn after all and at least not as much of a shit as Cummings is
    It's surprising how often people switch from Plaid Cymru to Labour.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Cummings is trying to do serious damage to the Tory Party and if he wants a Tory civil war he will get one
    They aren't, the last polls had Labour just 3-5% ahead before this attempted Cummings coup.

Even after most Tory voters want Boris to stay according to the polls last night. In any case the next general election is over 2 years away
    You keep saying "attempted Cummings coup" as if you've come up with a clever new line.

But did Cummings force Johnson to hold those parties? Did he force him to lie repeatedly as it emerged?

No doubt Cummings is loving all this, but your desperate desire to see Johnson as the poor victim, so you can kiss it better, is ludicrous. He has brought ALL of this on himself.
    There was no party, merely some after work thankyou drinks Boris briefly attended in a month beaches like Durdle Door were packed.

Lets pull this apart:

You are clear this was not a work event - this was "after work". So that's you saying the PM is wrong to say it was a work event.

The email went to 100 people - so this was not "after work" in that the 100 people were all not working together on the same thing. A "please join us" round robin is by definition being sent to people not part of whatever work was being done immediately before it.

"thankyou drinks" - or as the email put it "socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden" was illegal. A minister restated that such things were illegal a few hours before on TV

"beaches were packed". Mmmm, and the police were out moving people on and issuing fines for the people most flagrantly breaching the law. Sending out an invite to 100 people for an illegal event is more flagrant than many of the people prosecuted.

I do appreciate the mental gymnastics you are doing to keep defending this. But when it fails, when he is dragged out of Downing Street he will be gone but the way that you have debased yourself here will remain.
    The police weren't doing much of a job about enforcing it, not only was Durdle Door beach for example packed in May 2020 it even had tombstoners
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/durdle-door-beach-cliffs-police-social-distance-a9541266.html
    Lets pull this apart:
    The police weren't doing much of a job about enforcing it

So you accept that the police were enforcing it

So you accept there was an "it" to enforce

So you accept the party was illegal

No wonder you refused to answer the "hypothetical" about whether if the PM breaks the law that he should resign.

Because he broke the law. As you now freely admit.
    What law did they break? The regulations covering gatherings only relates to public places, and they would have had an exemption on the restrictions of movement because of their job.
    Gatherings were illegal except for work. If this was a party it was not work.
  • Options
    Simon Hoare says that Boris saying wait and see how I respond to that report is significant

I assume he is holding out the prospect he could resign on the publication of the report
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited January 2022

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

The police weren't doing much of a job about enforcing it, not only was Durdle Door beach for example packed in May 2020 it even had tombstoners
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/durdle-door-beach-cliffs-police-social-distance-a9541266.html
    Lets pull this apart:

No wonder you refused to answer the "hypothetical" about whether if the PM breaks the law that he should resign.

What law did they break? The regulations covering gatherings only relates to public places, and they would have had an exemption on the restrictions of movement because of their job.
    Gatherings in public places were illegal, but the No 10 garden isn't a public place.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

So the Tory party as a whole is now in the position of a wife, having discovered yet another infidelity by her husband and being given the "It didn't mean anything to me" excuse, having to decide whether to stay with him for the sake of the children or chuck him out.

That works until the son find Dad/ Boris texting / chatting to his new girlfriend while on the loo
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

This is the image Labour shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves just tweeted out… https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1481254601865183232/photo/1

Labour are terrified of the Tories having the first non-white Prime Minister, even if he is a squillionaire. Then the Tories will have had him and 2 female PMs before Labour have had anyone other than white males.
    The Guardian was already on the case, with their article where they argued that well off people of Hindu origin aren't really minorities.

So Sunak is really white.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

'Tis merely a flesh wound'
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    If Johnson were to resign who becomes PM? It would be the first real test of the modern ways that parties select leaders (May and Cameron having stayed in post to await their successor). Can’t see Johnson doing that. Which is why when push comes to shove we might ultimately see a coronation.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

Gatherings in public places were illegal, but the No 10 garden isn't a public place.
    Gatherings in private back gardens were also illegal...
  • Options

AlistairM said:

I disagree. Every extra day that Boris remains in No 10 is another day of public ridicule and memes being forwarded in their millions by normally fairly apolitical people. By May the damage to the brand might be irreparable this side of a general election but possibly far longer.

No one gives a monkeys about local elections. Just get rid now and take on the chin whatever result occurs in May.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,380
    Cyclefree said:

Technically it was a series of business meetings, not an affair.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

The Guardian was already on the case, with their article where they argued that well off people of Hindu origin aren't really minorities.

link?
  • Options
    eek said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

Gatherings in private back gardens were also illegal...
    Because there were restrictions on movements. The regulation is quite clear that gatherings were only illegal in public places.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

If Johnson were to resign who becomes PM? It would be the first real test of the modern ways that parties select leaders (May and Cameron having stayed in post to await their successor). Can’t see Johnson doing that. Which is why when push comes to shove we might ultimately see a coronation.

Not sure he has anywhere to go after the divorce cleaned him out. Travelodge?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

In other countries British hypocrisy is seen as practically a core national characteristic! Although I suppose loathing it perhaps even makes the perception even more true!
    Britons loathe other people's hypocrisy, which as you suggest is a form of hypocrisy. The pm and government having a huge hypocritical vomit in public tends to trump everything else though.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited January 2022
    alex_ said:

Well the procedure is that there always needs to be a PM, and theres no position as a caretaker PM. The procedure for an election could be done 'quick-ish' as it did when T May resigned.

Boris would have to stay on until there's a new PM.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Linton Travel Tavern.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

LOL!

@iainjwatson

Treasury sources say that 'time constraints' are preventing @RishiSunak from doing media interviews today

In one thing HYUFD is correct - Rishi won't want to weld the sword, because of potential backlash. While a stalking horse candidate is not how it works, whoever actually delivers the blow will not be someone who expects to get the crown...
    For all we know the 54th letter could be going in at any time. From 54 highly obscure people.
    Yes, and the letters are anonymous, so no-one except Sir Graham knows when they arrived. Then it’s an immediate and straight vote of confidence, YES/NO.
    I wonder if the little noticed removal of the Whip from Anne Marie Morris this morning may have reduced the total by one?
    It also reduces the number of letters needed by one, because of rounding. So it makes no difference.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Farooq said:

AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

link?
    It was a while back - in response to the rise of Sunak, Patel and Javid. The argument was that since they were well off, voted the wrong way etc that they didn't share the authentic experience of being a minority.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

Was he a minority until he got married, and then suddenly became not one?
  • Options

Farooq said:

AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

link?
    It was a while back - in response to the rise of Sunak, Patel and Javid.
    That's not a link
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680
    It is very clear that, for whatever reason, Boris Johnson is not up to the challenge of being our country's prime minister.

And yet he is the best that the Conservatives have to offer us. There is nobody among the serried ranks of Tory MPs who would do a better job. If there were, the responsible Tory MPs would have made the change already for the sake of the country.

The fact that they have not demonstrates only too clearly not just their cowardice, but also that they have nobody with leadership qualities.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

Neither is a house. Gatherings weren't allowed in them or other work-places either.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Back in the 90s we had a series of MPs who defected from the Conservatives because they were fed up with the conduct of the Government.

Do we think there's any chance of that now? Anne-Marie Morris to the LibDems, perhaps?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

ping said:

So what you are saying is that if the person who you think is best to lead the party (Boris) is ousted out of spite by someone (Cummings) you will not support the person you have previously said would be your next choice to lead the party (Sunak) out of spite for someone (Cummings). Cool.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Johnson's problem is the stuff about saying he didn't realise it was a party. It's the thing that will be latched onto - it's so ridiculous, and that sort of thing cuts through.

The way his opponents are going on, it’s as if they invited a load of outsiders, caterers and a DJ, and kept going until three in the morning.
    Johnson is still lying though. This is the problem.
    What did he say that was untrue?
    Making out he thought it was an essential work gathering rather than a social.
    That’s his thoughts, whether you believe them or not.

Where are the untrue facts that the PM said to Parliament?

I am thinking of all the trans activists rubbishing Dave Chappelle’s special, but none of them providing quotes to back up what exactly was so awful about it.
    Isn't the point that he previously told the Commons "there was no party", and now he's been clear that he knew there was, because he was at it? Or does it not count because it was a different party that he denied happening?
    I think Boris said there was no party "in Number 10" to parliament.

So I reckon he'll get away with it.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    HYUFD said:

ping said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

ping said:

If the killer blow turns out to be the Cummings goodbye party on Nov 15 in the number 11 flat, I guess that is something he has no more than hearsay on.

Heard an interesting comment this morning, that the spads and civil servants in the building onto whom the blame might fall in the report might be creating a ripple effect of revelation here.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

[deleted]
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

AlistairM said:

Scott_xP said:

link?
    It was a while back - in response to the rise of Sunak, Patel and Javid.
    That's not a link
    Haven't got it to hand, sorry.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Linton Travel Tavern.
    They have a very good Carvery - not five star, but very competitive.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

Neither is a house. Gatherings weren't allowed in them or other work-places either.
    The regulations don't say that:

Restrictions on gatherings
    7. During the emergency period, no person may participate in a gathering in a public place of more than two people except—

Parties in back gardens were restricted by other provisions placing restrictions on movement.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I think, to be fair, Boris Johnson's position on this occasion is that he didn't realise he was shagging.
  • Options

eek said:

Is HYUFD watching a different PMQs, one from a parallel / mirror universe?

Must be.

Starmer deserves an A+ today

HYUFD a U
    Please explain
    For once SKS failed to miss an open goal.

At last he called for Boris to resign.

For once he performed well.

One swallow a summer does not make.

I still believe overall he is a factional useless nonentity with no discernable personality or policies and there is no chance I will vote Labour whilst he is in charge.
    As always, you have it wrong again. Starmer was anything but ‘Primeministerial, this was one of his worst displays, ineptly acting outrage in a cheesy 3rd rate TV production called The Fall of Boris Johnson. In fact all the opposition responses were very poor. Ed Davey sadly doesn’t have the gravitas of Clegg, Kennedy or Ashdown and the girl power angle he attacked from I wouldn’t have chosen, and I’m a girl. But I’m saving my venom for the Most pompous MP of all - Chris Bryant with his kitsch “shower of shenanigan’s”. Though it did provide a moment of true comedy, as Boris outed Bryant’s Tory past, camera cut to bewildered labour MPs flanking Bryant glance uneasily in his direction and begin to inch away. 😃

Nice one Boris! Congenital wrecking ball to the very end.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Are we back on why Ms Arcuri might have been dating the Mayor?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Johnson's problem is the stuff about saying he didn't realise it was a party. It's the thing that will be latched onto - it's so ridiculous, and that sort of thing cuts through.

The way his opponents are going on, it’s as if they invited a load of outsiders, caterers and a DJ, and kept going until three in the morning.

I am thinking of all the trans activists rubbishing Dave Chappelle’s special, but none of them providing quotes to back up what exactly was so awful about it.
    Isn't the point that he previously told the Commons "there was no party", and now he's been clear that he knew there was, because he was at it? Or does it not count because it was a different party that he denied happening?

I did not have sexual relations with that woman.....definitions of sexual relations vary....as it appears do "work events".
  • Options

alex_ said:

Linton Travel Tavern.
    Boris' big plate.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

LOL!

@iainjwatson

It also reduces the number of letters needed by one, because of rounding. So it makes no difference.
    We've not discussed the whip removal much, but it's interesting. Her statement is here: https://www.annemariemorris.co.uk/news/statement-removal-whip

"I remain strongly committed to Conservative principles and supporting a Conservative government that acts in the best interests of the country." doesn't sound like someone about to join another party, but also not someone likely to get the whip back any time soon. Actually voting for a Labour motion, in the knowledge that she was the only one and it therefore wouldn't change the outcome, is unusual and quite impressive.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Are we sure there is “more to come”?

Conceptually that is hard to imagine. Perhaps a 1970s-themed keys-in-the-bowl party for swingers in Number 10 with videos of Boris in a purple toga being fellated by Sunak’s wife even as he video calls the Nation to announce lockdown 3 might put him in a tighter spot but

1 if the Tories know this is coming, surely better to admit it now and claim the blow-job as a “work event” and

2 if it’s just more tattle about cheese-and-wine it will be subject to the law of diminishing returns which means

3 Boris might just survive this as the nation’s short sharp Omicron wave of anger fades away

Whether his survival is good or bad for the Tories is a very different question

This is the second ethical issue to hit Johnson in the last week: don't forget the "missing" WhatsApp messages and the wallpaper.

IMHO, the big consequence for this is going to be a return to tactical voting, on a 1997-2005 scale again. This could have quite serious consequences for the conservative party.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

And it was not work.
    1. All names invite, so not a continuation of working groups that afternoon
    2. "Enjoy the Weather" and relax being the stated aim
    3. Trestle tables with party food laid out
    4. The PM brought his gf with him

It was illegal. Boris repeatedly lied to the house that he always followed the guidance. Untrue. Boris repeatedly denied there had been any gatherings whether "work event" or not. Untrue. Now having said the party took place and that he was there says please wait for the enquiry as to whether the party he said he went to happened or whether he went to it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

Give it a rest Rob, only you HYFUD and Sandpit, Tory cult members left trying to support the blatant lies.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

And it was not work.
    1. All names invite, so not a continuation of working groups that afternoon
    2. "Enjoy the Weather" and relax being the stated aim
    3. Trestle tables with party food laid out
    4. The PM brought his gf with him

It was illegal. Boris repeatedly lied to the house that he always followed the guidance. Untrue. Boris repeatedly denied there had been any gatherings whether "work event" or not. Untrue. Now having said the party took place and that he was there says please wait for the enquiry as to whether the party he said he went to happened or whether he went to it.
    Can you point to the exact provision in the regulations to back up your claim that it was illegal? I can't find what one is being breached.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802

alex_ said:

Linton Travel Tavern.
    If Boris does get ousted, I think the alternative domestic arrangements, or lack thereof, are actually a strong and serious reason to think he might stay on in the interim, skulking around Downing Street in foul demeanour.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364

alex_ said:

Britons loathe other people's hypocrisy, which as you suggest is a form of hypocrisy. The pm and government having a huge hypocritical vomit in public tends to trump everything else though.
    The British have, to other western ears, a curiously indirect way of expressing themselves. ('Recollections may vary' being a wonderful example - every singly British person knows what was meant but I don't think it was necessarily understood in the same way abroad - which was perhaps the point). This often leads to charges of hypocrisy, but is in fact just a symptom of what happens when you don't grow up instinctively understanding British layers of meaning.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

Give it a rest Rob, only you HYFUD and Sandpit, Tory cult members left trying to support the blatant lies.
    No, I don't support this at all. I am only interested in the very narrow point about whether it was illegal or not.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Seen on Twitter:

"If you have to have an inquiry to find out if there was a party in your house, you probably should not have access to nuclear weapons"

:D:D
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    alex_ said:

The Queen appoints a new PM as soon as the old one exits office. So if Boris flounced there would be a rather unusual constitutional situation in which the palace would have to work out who is the most appropriate person to be appointed.

I suspect that the protocols are already in place for such a procedure to be carried out (because, if anything else, if a PM died in office the same situation would arise). I guess the palace would take soundings from the cabinet and senior Tory MPs and get agreement on who to appoint. In this scenario it would be hard to rebut the presumption that first Secretary of State/Deputy PM should get it. Which is this case, would land us with PM Raab, at least until a leadership election (oh goody).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

LOL!

@iainjwatson

We've not discussed the whip removal much, but it's interesting. Her statement is here: https://www.annemariemorris.co.uk/news/statement-removal-whip

"I remain strongly committed to Conservative principles and supporting a Conservative government that acts in the best interests of the country." doesn't sound like someone about to join another party, but also not someone likely to get the whip back any time soon. Actually voting for a Labour motion, in the knowledge that she was the only one and it therefore wouldn't change the outcome, is unusual and quite impressive.
    It's funny how those who found loyalty so difficult in the past - Corbyn, Johnson, etc - seem to be the ones who demand it most.

Removing the whip for supporting a Labour amendment seems a colossal overreaction.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited January 2022

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Are we back on why Ms Arcuri might have been dating the Mayor?
    She's got a net worth of about -£1.5 million in UK assets, so I can't see O'Neill getting much from her through the London courts.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Cyclefree said:

Too kind to the Tory Party.

She married him for his money and so the question (?) she'll be asking herself is will she still get most of it if she gives him the boot.

Money = electoral appeal here in this revised analogy.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    ClippP said:

It is very clear that, for whatever reason, Boris Johnson is not up to the challenge of being our country's prime minister.

And yet he is the best that the Conservatives have to offer us. There is nobody among the serried ranks of Tory MPs who would do a better job. If there were, the responsible Tory MPs would have made the change already for the sake of the country.

The fact that they have not demonstrates only too clearly not just their cowardice, but also that they have nobody with leadership qualities.

I refuse to believe Boris is the best the Tories can offer. I may have concerns about many of the contenders, but even if their premiership was a mess I seriously refuse to believe that each of them would do a worse job than he is doing at present.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Just watched it again; he says:

"...I have been repeatedly assured since these allegation emerged that there was no party and that no Covid rules were broken..."

No mention of "in Number 10".

"No party" seems pretty unequivocal to me, and he's effectively admitted today that he knew there was "a" party, even if it wasn't the specific party he previously denied took place.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    edited January 2022

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

LOL!

@iainjwatson

She lost the whip previously for using racist language, so would Labour be wise to have her even if she did want to defect?
  • Options
    Great confidence that Sue Grey will clear the PM.
    Cookie said:

alex_ said:

The British have, to other western ears, a curiously indirect way of expressing themselves. ('Recollections may vary' being a wonderful example - every singly British person knows what was meant but I don't think it was necessarily understood in the same way abroad - which was perhaps the point). This often leads to charges of hypocrisy, but is in fact just a symptom of what happens when you don't grow up instinctively understanding British layers of meaning.
    With all due respect...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

Gatherings in public and private places were illegal. I couldn’t have a garden party at my house on 20 May 2020, neither could the PM. I couldn’t have post work drinks on the terrace of my office, similarly the PM couldn’t have post work drinks in the garden of his office. At the time you could meet one person from outside your household outside for exercise only.

This “work event” thing is absolute rubbish. Even if such things were legal who sends a BYOB invite to a work do?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    moonshine said:

AlistairM said:

I disagree. Every extra day that Boris remains in No 10 is another day of public ridicule and memes being forwarded in their millions by normally fairly apolitical people. By May the damage to the brand might be irreparable this side of a general election but possibly far longer.

No one gives a monkeys about local elections. Just get rid now and take on the chin whatever result occurs in May.
    That argument works both ways. If the May elections look like being bad either way, there's plenty of incentive for Tory MPs to ensure that Johnson's reputation as an election-winner goes down the pan to prevent all sorts of ex post facto arguments from Johnson supporters about how this wouldn't have happened if you'd been loyal to him.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Change of subject: incredible Omicron wave underway in India

Cases have quintupled in ten days: from 37,000 to 194,000

India might give us the highest ever single caseload in this wave. 3m? 6m?

Let's hope that it is as short, sharp and relatively harmless for them as it was for SA. They do have lots of prior immunity

• Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

No, let them carry on. If they don’t realise Boris is trashing the place before the next people move in, leave them to it. If they can’t see how any good work done by the party, such as on vaccines, is getting trashed by Boris here, and that positive legacy lost, more fool them 🙂
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    edited January 2022
    The strongest incentive for the 1922 to stay the knife is that nobody in their right mind would want to take the job right now. Sunak et al should force Bozza to limp on until after the likely May elections disaster, then kick him out before the summer recess.

If they have any sense, that is exactly how they'll play it.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

Gatherings in public and private places were illegal. I couldn’t have a garden party at my house on 20 May 2020, neither could the PM. I couldn’t have post work drinks on the terrace of my office, similarly the PM couldn’t have post work drinks in the garden of his office. At the time you could meet one person from outside your household outside for exercise only.

This “work event” thing is absolute rubbish. Even if such things were legal who sends a BYOB invite to a work do?
    I've pasted the text of The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 earlier in this thread. There were only restrictions on gatherings in public places. No restrictions on private gatherings, those were covered by restrictions on movement.
  • Options

alex_ said:

The Queen appoints a new PM as soon as the old one exits office. So if Boris flounced there would be a rather unusual constitutional situation in which the palace would have to work out who is the most appropriate person to be appointed.

I suspect that the protocols are already in place for such a procedure to be carried out (because, if anything else, if a PM died in office the same situation would arise). I guess the palace would take soundings from the cabinet and senior Tory MPs and get agreement on who to appoint. In this scenario it would be hard to rebut the presumption that first Secretary of State/Deputy PM should get it. Which is this case, would land us with PM Raab, at least until a leadership election (oh goody).
    Raab didn’t look like he was much enjoying himself when he had to step up in Spring 2020. Wouldn’t blame him for telling them to do one.
  • Options
    In all the noise, i missed this...

The CEO of Pfizer, Albert Bourla, has said that a vaccine for the highly transmissible Omicron variant of Covid-19 will be ready in March and that the pharmaceutical company has begun manufacturing the doses.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited January 2022
    Quick SA update

Deaths continue to trend up (+13% this week) and are on course to increase this week too (by another 10-15%)
    Admissions were down 5% this week and possibly similar this week.

Omicron is not rapidly receding in SA despite what Gauteng initially suggested.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

That would suggest that Tesco could organise a party in one of their car parks, as neither the traveling to the shop or the party in the private place would be prohibited.
  • Options
    @SamCoatesSky
    Tory MP Simon Hoare tells Sky News that his understanding was the No10 party in question was a “thank you” for Dominic Raab for deputising while the PM was ill and a “welcome back” to Boris Johnson.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1481261954773786629
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

LOL!

@iainjwatson

It's funny how those who found loyalty so difficult in the past - Corbyn, Johnson, etc - seem to be the ones who demand it most.

Removing the whip for supporting a Labour amendment seems a colossal overreaction.
    Indeed it does, especially as several Tories have openly expressed that they support the Labour VAT policy. A hysterical move from Boris.
  • Options

moonshine said:

AlistairM said:

That argument works both ways. If the May elections look like being bad either way, there's plenty of incentive for Tory MPs to ensure that Johnson's reputation as an election-winner goes down the pan to prevent all sorts of ex post facto arguments from Johnson supporters about how this wouldn't have happened if you'd been loyal to him.
    Other than from our own pb Johnson cheerleader, I don’t think there’s going to be much of a continuity-Boris movement.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

A company whose boss is a skinflint and doesn't / won't pay for the drinks from their own pocket and doesn't have authority to get the company to pay?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Agree. This is just like the MrEd justification post this morning: It's ok because other people were doing it. Try that in a court of law. If valid you would have to let off every criminal because another criminal had done it before. It is a bizarre argument.
    What, MrEd was defending this with some gymnastic false equivalence? Well well well.
    Haha, Kinablu, almost an egregious an accusation as accusing you of having double standards depending on which political stance you favour

PS @kjh - think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't defending BJ, it was saying he should use it as a tactic. He's in the sh1t anyway so he might as well throw a dead cat on the table by saying he wouldn't be lectured by people who supported Blair and his lying to Parliament
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,067
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

I've pasted the text of The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 earlier in this thread. There were only restrictions on gatherings in public places. No restrictions on private gatherings, those were covered by restrictions on movement.
    Your (and Johnson's) defence on the basis of nuanced language is ludicrous.

The wider point is that the hardworking locked down British public think the defence is an absolute crock.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    DougSeal said:

@SamCoatesSky
    Tory MP Simon Hoare tells Sky News that his understanding was the No10 party in question was a “thank you” for Dominic Raab for deputising while the PM was ill and a “welcome back” to Boris Johnson.

That makes it worse.....not even arguing it was for the staff who have been slogging their guts out. And the staff had to being their own booze to as well.

I presume that means Raab was there as well. Wonder if any other politicians were there?
  • Options

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

Lets pull this apart:

Lets pull this apart:

Your (and Johnson's) defence on the basis of nuanced language is ludicrous.

The wider point is that the hardworking locked down British public think the defence is an absolute crock.
    I've already said I'm not trying to defend this. I am interested in the narrow point of whether it was illegal or not. Some have claimed it is, but I can't see the provision which has been breached. This is completely separate discussion from whether it was right or wrong.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    DougSeal said:

@SamCoatesSky

One simply doesn't make the staff BYOB for a thank you event. And why did Mr Johnson not offer that explanation at PMQ?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The Minister of State for Northern Ireland follows the Paymaster General as next pea shooter to defend the PM on WATO.

:D
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    edited January 2022
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Too kind to the Tory Party.

She married him for his money and so the question (?) she'll be asking herself is will she still get most of it if she gives him the boot.

Money = electoral appeal here in this revised analogy.
    In my analogy, "children" = "being in power".
This discussion has been closed.