Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will Johnson make the 2022 leader’s conference speech? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2022 in General
imageWill Johnson make the 2022 leader’s conference speech? – politicalbetting.com

Lots of speculation today about the future of Boris Johnson as prime minister and leader of the Conservative Party. the big question is how long is he going to remain in the job and Betfair have just put one up on whether he’ll still be in the job at this year’s Conservative conference.

Read the full story here

Comments

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    My name is Robert Smithson, and I agree with the Header.
    edited January 2022
    Basically, bet on Boris staying. Without an obvious replacement, I just can't see MPs pulling the trigger.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    rcs1000 said:

Basically, bet on Boris staying. Without an obvious replacement, I just can't see MPs pulling the trigger.

Have you never heard of Rishi Sunak?
  • Tory MPs will make one calculation: does Boris still retain enough of the old electoral magic? If yes, then I reckon they'll conclude that even a half-cocked Boris will still be vastly more useful than journeymen of Truss or Rishi.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited January 2022
    As long as Boris continues to impose no new restrictions, especially on the vaccinated, he will keep his base and likely survive. No alternative leader polls much better v Starmer than him, including Sunak and most poll worse.

Only thing that might see a VONC is heavy losses in the local elections, including Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea going Labour or NOC
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Ministers briefing that we won't renew plan B is clearly red meat to keep the CRG from deposing Boris.

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.
    Can’t see that he would be better?

If they replaced Boris with the Bishop of Bath and Wells from Blackadder it would be better.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Dr Catherine Haddon
    @cath_haddon
    ·
    1h
    What most people I’ve spoken to can’t get their head around is why the ‘isn’t this a bad idea/ how will this look?’ question asked by so many in No10 la over the years on so many issues was not asked at very top on this.

===

Because they are set of self-entitled twats who don't care what the little people have to do.
  • Didn't IDS make it to conference and get binned off quickly afterwards? So even if Peppa makes it to the speech it doesn't mean he gets much further. Especially if its as shambolic as Kermit the Frog and Peppa Pig World efforts were.
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m
    FT FRONT: Eat porridge and cuddle up says Energy Supplier

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

If they replaced Boris with the Bishop of Bath and Wells from Blackadder it would be better.
    No, I meant I can’t see Sunak as a trigger puller. I’ve no doubt he would be a better PM.

Didn't IDS make it to conference and get binned off quickly afterwards? So even if Peppa makes it to the speech it doesn't mean he gets much further. Especially if its as shambolic as Kermit the Frog and Peppa Pig World efforts were.

Yes, he famously turned up the volume at the conference and got shit canned pretty soon after.
    MaxPB said:

Ministers briefing that we won't renew plan B is clearly red meat to keep the CRG from deposing Boris.

Yep.

Desperate people now.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Told you so. The Christmas break was a temp ceasefire, Boris was never going to reinvent himself in the new year and even if he did, the stories are still out there.

We won't be looking back at Easter time and thinking this drinks party thing is the worst thing we have learned about Boris in the YTD.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Dr Catherine Haddon
    @cath_haddon
    ·
    1h
    What most people I’ve spoken to can’t get their head around is why the ‘isn’t this a bad idea/ how will this look?’ question asked by so many in No10 la over the years on so many issues was not asked at very top on this.

===

Because they are set of self-entitled twats who don't care what the little people have to do.

Some of it seems so blatant it's like they were trying to be shown up as hypocritical fools.
    MaxPB said:

Didn't IDS make it to conference and get binned off quickly afterwards? So even if Peppa makes it to the speech it doesn't mean he gets much further. Especially if its as shambolic as Kermit the Frog and Peppa Pig World efforts were.

Yes, he famously turned up the volume at the conference and got shit canned pretty soon after.
    And replacing him with Howard made zero difference to the Tory poll ratings in 2005 anyway, they still lost. The 32% Howard got was no better than IDS polled in 2003 and on some polling worse
    I suppose the good news about the latest, 'let's invite 100 people for drinks during lockdown' party is that now means there is more chance of Elvis being found alive on the moon by Chinese astronauts than there is of another lockdown in England.
  • MaxPB said:

Iain Duncan Smith delivered a speech to the 2003 Tory party conference in Blackpool yesterday that was nasty, brutish and long. Inevitably, it went down well with the party faithful in the Winter Gardens. Looked at from almost every other perspective, however, it was a disgrace. With his critics closing in on him, the Conservative leader threw good judgment to the winds. It is hard to remember a conference speech by a major party leader which did less for public debate and which reflects so discreditably on the person who gave it.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/oct/10/futureforpublicservices.politics
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

And replacing him with Howard made zero difference to the Tory poll ratings in 2005 anyway, they still lost. The 32% Howard got was no better than IDS polled in 2003 and on some polling worse
    Stop choosing shit leaders
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

As long as Boris continues to impose no new restrictions, especially on the vaccinated, he will keep his base and likely survive. No alternative leader polls much better v Starmer than him, including Subak and most poll worse.

Only think that might see a VONC is heavy losses in the local elections, including Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea going Labour or NOC

That there, right there, is the manifesto of a party that has given up. No longer willing to lead by example or anticipate how the public might be feeling, just "we will only start to behave after the gravest of electoral kickings".
    I don't think you're fit to wear the rosette.
    An awful lot of Conservatives agree with you. FUDHY is a disgrace.

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

As long as Boris continues to impose no new restrictions, especially on the vaccinated, he will keep his base and likely survive. No alternative leader polls much better v Starmer than him, including Subak and most poll worse.

Only think that might see a VONC is heavy losses in the local elections, including Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea going Labour or NOC

That there, right there, is the manifesto of a party that has given up. No longer willing to lead by example or anticipate how the public might be feeling, just "we will only start to behave after the gravest of electoral kickings".
    Well we certainly will not be following you and the SNP with continued restrictions
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    edited January 2022
    MaxPB said:

Whether you agree or disagree with future restrictions, surely you have to despair at a Prime Minister who is now so helpless (due in most part to his own misbehaviour) he cannot make an executive decision without fear of defesnestration.
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The Tories have already won most seats at 4 general elections in a row over Labour under our 3 post Howard leaders
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Michael Howard! What on earth were you thinking?
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Howard stabilised the Tories and promoted the young guns to get Cameron a chance of being leader. There's also no way of knowing how badly IDS would have done, the road not travelled is not travelled, after all.

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

No, I meant I can’t see Sunak as a trigger puller. I’ve no doubt he would be a better PM.
    It’s Sunak spin team which has hollowed Boris out. They have been spinning like tops for months now. Poor things need to make use of this weeks sunny weather, go outside with a glass of something, relax. Great view of the No. 10 terrace from the Treasury balcony.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    FPT
    The problem with NPI's, as they have been described, is that where they are mandated by law they represent an unacceptable level of intrusion in to private freedom. They also have a tendency for mission creep - the idea that we can "keep the public safe" by controlling all kinds of disease through controls on human behaviour and biosurveillance is almost irresistable, after normalisation caused by 2 years of such measures being in place. And the idea that such measures are necessitated as they are an alternative to 'lockdowns' is also very useful and convenient, for those in power who seek to effect change of whatever sort. So to my mind at least, and on a philosophical level, NPIs are actually a greater danger than lockdowns.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,067
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The Tories have already won most seats at 4 general elections in a row over Labour under our 3 post Howard leaders
    Yes but they all turned out to be a bit shit didn't they?
  • Didn't IDS make it to conference and get binned off quickly afterwards? So even if Peppa makes it to the speech it doesn't mean he gets much further. Especially if its as shambolic as Kermit the Frog and Peppa Pig World efforts were.

That Peppa Pig World schtick is catnip to the faithful. It's "Boris being Boris" and all terribly amusing to the 0.1% who show up at party conference. And there wouldn't be a dry seat in the house if he lost his place and shuffled some papers a bit.

The thing that was wrong with it at the CBI is that leading industrialists don't find it hugely amusing, particularly when they want to hear some sober substance about policy when their businesses have been seriously affected by Covid and Brexit. So they were just looking at him utterly aghast and embarrassed at the shambles.

Okay, if the joke has grown stale even with an ultra-partisan conference crowd, then he's finished. But it won't have.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869
    Johnson may well make it to Conference. Judging by Peppa, his conference speech could be the final nail in his coffin.
    Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    3m
    Has this happened in other countries? Did the French or Italian or US State govts hold parties literally minutes after telling everyone else they should avoid others &, if they had to meet people, meet only in twos?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    HYUFD said:

As long as Boris continues to impose no new restrictions, especially on the vaccinated, he will keep his base and likely survive. No alternative leader polls much better v Starmer than him, including Sunak and most poll worse.

Only thing that might see a VONC is heavy losses in the local elections, including Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea going Labour or NOC

Basically you agree with the header. Johnson will be kept in post. I think your view on this carries some weight.
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Well we certainly will not be following you and the SNP with continued restrictions
    Unfortunately, your Covid strategy has nothing to do with epidemiology and everything to do with narrow partisan obsessions. You care about nobody but yourselves.

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

What we're thinking: That the other front runner was David Davis. or -ies, can never remember.
  • MaxPB said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I always thought when he said "and he's turning up the volume" he actually lowered his voice!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    'You can meet one person outside your household.'

This is what Oliver Dowden said just 55 minutes before another Downing Street
    Party. https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1480652084659826694/video/1

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I remember my Dad that afternoon - Michael Howard? They’re fucking mad.

BUT we should ask our Tory History expert HY how Gun totting IDS eased aside without even a vonc? It was all very unexpected?
  • Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

"LET THEM EAT PORRIDGE!"
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    The Met is in touch with the Cabinet Office after the Reynolds email.

“The Metropolitan Police Service is aware of widespread reporting relating to alleged breaches of the Health Protection Regulations at Downing Street on 20 May 2020 and is in contact with the Cabinet Office.”

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1480657449761837070

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

It’s Sunak spin team which has hollowed Boris out. They have been spinning like tops for months now. Poor things need to make use of this weeks sunny weather, go outside with a glass of something, relax. Great view of the No. 10 terrace from the Treasury balcony.
    Does Sunak have a team? Can he fill a taxi, a minibus or a conference hall? Suspect taxi.

rcs1000 said:

A man so unpopular, he wasn't even invited to the Rose Garden party.
    edited January 2022
    darkage said:

FPT
    The problem with NPI's, as they have been described, is that where they are mandated by law they represent an unacceptable level of intrusion in to private freedom. They also have a tendency for mission creep - the idea that we can "keep the public safe" by controlling all kinds of disease through controls on human behaviour and biosurveillance is almost irresistable, after normalisation caused by 2 years of such measures being in place. And the idea that such measures are necessitated as they are an alternative to 'lockdowns' is also very useful and convenient, for those in power who seek to effect change of whatever sort. So to my mind at least, and on a philosophical level, NPIs are actually a greater danger than lockdowns.

Sturgeon’s on the case. “Sometimes when you hear people talk about learning to live with Covid, what seems to be suggested is that one morning we’ll wake up and not have to worry about it anymore, and not have to do anything to try to contain and control it,” Sturgeon said. “That’s not what I mean when I say ‘learning to live with it’. Instead, we will have to ask ourselves what adaptations to pre-pandemic life – face coverings, for example – might be required in the longer-term to enable us to live with it with far fewer protective measures.” https://news.stv.tv/politics/sturgeon-restrictions-are-working-as-we-learn-to-live-with-covid

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

BUT we should ask our Tory History expert HY how Gun totting IDS eased aside without even a vonc? It was all very unexpected?
    IDS narrowly lost a VONC
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

MaxPB said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I always thought when he said "and he's turning up the volume" he actually lowered his voice!
    He said the loud part quiet and the quiet part also quiet.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

Good job I panic bought broth.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

IDS narrowly lost a VONC
    TMay survived one, so low bar.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    edited January 2022
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Starmer has declared that MPs' pay should be frozen, rather than them receiving their 2.7% rise due in April, in light of the cost of living crisis faced by 'ordinary' people.
    A good move, I think. Boris will no doubt follow, but Starmer got in first.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

MaxPB said:

Maybe on the word 'volume', but generally I'm not sure I'd say he was lowering his voice for that line/phrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXmQdi9pwDA
    Well, he was the quiet man.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

darkage said:

FPT

Sturgeon’s on the case. “Sometimes when you hear people talk about learning to live with Covid, what seems to be suggested is that one morning we’ll wake up and not have to worry about it anymore, and not have to do anything to try to contain and control it,” Sturgeon said. “That’s not what I mean when I say ‘learning to live with it’. Instead, we will have to ask ourselves what adaptations to pre-pandemic life – face coverings, for example – might be required in the longer-term to enable us to live with it with far fewer protective measures.” https://news.stv.tv/politics/sturgeon-restrictions-are-working-as-we-learn-to-live-with-covid
    Remember once she repeatedly said things "would not be in place a minute longer than necessary"...

Of course endless covid could provide an excellent reason to stall on doing anything about indyref2 for many years to come, which would truly disappoint her.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    MaxPB said:

Indeed, although I suppose were the current trajectory to continue, we’d bin it on 26 Jan anyway. It’s nothing like guaranteed the trajectory will continue, however.
    darkage said:

FPT

Do you feel the same about hard hats and safety boots on construction sites?
    dixiedean said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m

Good job I panic bought broth.
    But with gas prices as they are, hot or cold?
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

'You can meet one person outside your household.'

This is what Oliver Dowden said just 55 minutes before another Downing Street
    Party. https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1480652084659826694/video/1

It's pretty damning. I don't see how Sue Gray can conclude anything other than that No. 10 broke the rules. Now all we need is proof that Boris was implicated in the invitation and/or was at the event (the 'we' in Reynold's email is strong circumstantial evidence).
  • dixiedean said:

darkage said:

FPT

Do you feel the same about hard hats and safety boots on construction sites?
    Seatbelts in cars! And planes!
    Scott_xP said:

“The Metropolitan Police Service is aware of widespread reporting relating to alleged breaches of the Health Protection Regulations at Downing Street on 20 May 2020 and is in contact with the Cabinet Office.”

It's OK Dame Cressida is on the case...

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

It was clear that Major was going to lead the Conservative Party to a poor result in 1997 (albeit few forecast exactly how poor), and he wasn't replaced.

Being shit is a necessary but not sufficient condition for MPs to dump their leader.
    Quincel said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe on the word 'volume', but generally I'm not sure I'd say he was lowering his voice for that line/phrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXmQdi9pwDA
    Thanks for that.

On reflection, I think he was actually more of a prick than Corbyn.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    edited January 2022
    darkage said:

FPT

You'd be brave to assume that, come the Summer, when the remaining rules will - hopefully - have been binned, that you'd seen the back of masks at the very least. You can well imagine that, if this is the last major Covid wave, the Flu could be back with a vengeance next Winter - and there's a material risk that we'll have sundry scientists, doctors, NHS managers and politicians demanding restrictions at the first sign of trouble.
  • IDS never lost a GE as leader!
    Thinking back a few threads, did @MoonRabbit have advance knowledge of today’s leak?

Scott_xP said:

If they don't act on this one, there is going to be some serious shit.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited January 2022

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    3m
    Has this happened in other countries? Did the French or Italian or US State govts hold parties literally minutes after telling everyone else they should avoid others &, if they had to meet people, meet only in twos?

Newsom in California ?

Generally red states didn't implement mandates, and blue ones did though. So whilst red governors did what they liked they didn't implement restrictions on others.

:D
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183

darkage said:

FPT

At some stage, presumably, the tourism industry will start up again. And if it's a choice between going to a facemask-obsessed Scotland or Wales, or Cornwall, it's going to be Cornwall again.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    This post from an apparent Tory supporter on ConHome sums things up rather nicely:

The people who have always hated Boris, who always wanted him to fail, are no more numerous now than they were the day he won the Tory leadership or the day he won his 80-seat majority. They are not his problem.

His problem is the many other people who were once desperate for him to replace Theresa May, who were happy for him to be given his chance, who hoped very much that he would prove his critics wrong and be a successful PM, and who now feel wretchedly let down by a man who has done far too little to advance things they want, and is far to keen on things they don't want. In short, people who now regard him as an A1 counter-productive political liability. I leave alone his manifest inability to perform the most elementary functions of the premiership, something on which the whole country can probably agree.

Goodness knows, we have had more than enough lousy PMs in the recent past. All of them, bar Boris, at least had sufficient nous to avoid turning their wallpaper into a political scandal.
    Presume Labour will be tabling an emergency motion on parties tomorrow?

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Does Sunak have a team? Can he fill a taxi, a minibus or a conference hall? Suspect taxi.
    He does actually yeah. I have been following it in the papers. What a job they have done for their boss, hollowing out and bringing down Boris from where things were before they started. Coordinating with Cummings and other Conservatives who have decided to replace Boris with better leader asap, to keep the drip drip effective as it has been.

The real losers of the change of leader are Labour and Lib Dems I suspect.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

It was clear that Major was going to lead the Conservative Party to a poor result in 1997 (albeit few forecast exactly how poor), and he wasn't replaced.

Being shit is a necessary but not sufficient condition for MPs to dump their leader.
    Wrong. Maggie was never shit.
  • Heathener said:

Tomorrow's front pages are very very bad for Johnson.

I'm not sure he's going to survive this. It's the context of what the rest of us were going through, the sacrifices, the loved ones, the deaths.

This is really bad.

Hats off to Metro for "Downing It Street".

Clearly BoJo should go- but there's the same challenge there has always been. If he just sits there, brazens it out, and the Parliamentary Conservative Party doesn't VONC him, what forces him out?
    Scott_xP said:

Funnily enough, I don't actually think it merits a police investigation so long after the event - they've got better things to do.

A simple resignation by the person with ultimate responsibility would suffice.
  • IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

What we're thinking: That the other front runner was David Davis. or -ies, can never remember.
    I thought Howard was unopposed.
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

She was by 1989. Completely lost the plot, hence axed by her own party.
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

She trailed Kinnock Labour by 10% though in autumn 1990 while polls had a Heseltine or Major led Tories back in front (given they also would replace the poll tax).

That sealed her fate
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    From the Telegraph:

The UK Health Security Agency, run by Dame Jenny Harries, on Monday admitted it was wrong to claim England's isolation rules were effectively in line with other nations, including the United States.

Its rationale had been repeatedly cited by ministers as they rebuffed calls to cut isolation from seven to five days in order to tackle major staffing crises across most sectors.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/10/cabinet-anger-misleading-covid-isolation-guidance/

Honestly, what are these people trying to do to the country? It's no wonder conspiracy theories flourish when government departments are actively lying to politicians.
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

She trailed Kinnock Labour by 10% though in autumn 1990 while polls had a Heseltine or Major led Tories back in front (given they also would replace the poll tax).

That sealed her fate
    That's not being shit.

MaxPB said:

Iain Duncan Smith delivered a speech to the 2003 Tory party conference in Blackpool yesterday that was nasty, brutish and long. Inevitably, it went down well with the party faithful in the Winter Gardens. Looked at from almost every other perspective, however, it was a disgrace. With his critics closing in on him, the Conservative leader threw good judgment to the winds. It is hard to remember a conference speech by a major party leader which did less for public debate and which reflects so discreditably on the person who gave it.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/oct/10/futureforpublicservices.politics
    I’d put money on the detail that the original Quiet Man speech was in Bournemouth not Blackpool. Maybe both speeches used the term?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046

Scott_xP said:

If they don't act on this one, there is going to be some serious shit.
    Do you think Dick will rise to the occasion?

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, Davis did a Johnson 2016.

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Yes it was Cameron vs DD.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Major was not replaced because Portillo and Redwood did not poll any better v Blair than he did
    BBC News at Ten going for the throat. Reynolds has to go!

Thinking back a few threads, did @MoonRabbit have advance knowledge of today’s leak?

No. But after months of hollowing him out for the kill, why did all PB think they would just stop till May?
    Heathener said:

I'm not sure he's going to survive this. It's the context of what the rest of us were going through, the sacrifices, the loved ones, the deaths.

This is really bad.

Provided he continues to impose no new restrictions he will as enough of his base will stay onboard
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

That sealed her fate
    That's not being shit.
    Don't you remember her post 1987 hubris, and the poll tax riots? I do.
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Yes it was Cameron vs DD.
    That's a negative, sir. Howard was elected unopposed in 2003 with Davis voluntarily standing aside, Cammo vs Davis was 2005
    edited January 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

You're right few predicted how poor.
    Strange thing was that the Tories pretty much hit their polling. While Labour vastly undershot theirs. There were several polls in the final week with a 20% plus lead.
    Everyone seemed to view it through the prism of 1992. So such a stonking win came as something of a surprise.
    Christ alone knows what carnage had Labour got the 50%. They were on 53% in one just a week out.
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

That sealed her fate
    That's not being shit.
    Being shit does not matter, polling far worse than an alternative leader v Labour is what seals your fate as Tory leader generally.

Only IDS was removed for being shit and it made no difference to Tory polling

BBC News at Ten going for the throat. Reynolds has to go!

Who?
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

This is really bad.

Provided he continues to impose no new restrictions he will as enough of his base will stay onboard
    Will they if they think he could be the difference between losing and winning the next election?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Scott_xP said:

The instant involvement of the police is a darkly amusing development, whenever these stories come out.

The government have been reeling out lots of badly written laws - both in terms of COVID and other areas of policy - seeking to regulate and control human behaviour, usually to satisfy popular yearnings for safety. The police have to enforce them, and they are hopelessly unprepared to do so. The whole idea of crime has expanded beyond all recognition in the last decade, and the old ways of doing things can't work anymore.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    Scott_xP said:

Police "in contact with the Cabinet Office" ? They were the ones having the party!
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

That sealed her fate
    That's not being shit.
    Don't you remember her post 1987 hubris, and the poll tax riots? I do.
    Yes, but I don't call any of that, shit. A fall from former greatness, but compared to pygmies like, thinking about it, every single one of her successors...
    How stupid are the people they employ at No. 10?

Did it not occur to these uber political animals that one day it would leak?

No. But after months of hollowing him out for the kill, why did all PB think they would just stop till May?
    See also: me. I have been saying since just before Christmas, that the ceasefire and football matches between the trenches were strictly temporary
    FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:

Police "in contact with the Cabinet Office" ? They were the ones having the party!
    They have asked for 250 other cases to be taken into consideratioon.
This discussion has been closed.