Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will Johnson make the 2022 leader’s conference speech? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942

How stupid are the people they employ at No. 10?

Did it not occur to these uber political animals that one day it would leak?

This was around the same time as Barnard Castle.

They thought if anyone found out, they would get away with it.

HYUFD agrees
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    Cookie said:

From the Telegraph:

The UK Health Security Agency, run by Dame Jenny Harries, on Monday admitted it was wrong to claim England's isolation rules were effectively in line with other nations, including the United States.

Its rationale had been repeatedly cited by ministers as they rebuffed calls to cut isolation from seven to five days in order to tackle major staffing crises across most sectors.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/10/cabinet-anger-misleading-covid-isolation-guidance/

Honestly, what are these people trying to do to the country? It's no wonder conspiracy theories flourish when government departments are actively lying to politicians.

Yes, I posted a note on about this earlier. Surprised it didn’t get a greater response. Barking.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Didn't IDS make it to conference and get binned off quickly afterwards? So even if Peppa makes it to the speech it doesn't mean he gets much further. Especially if its as shambolic as Kermit the Frog and Peppa Pig World efforts were.

Yes, he famously turned up the volume at the conference and got shit canned pretty soon after.
    And replacing him with Howard made zero difference to the Tory poll ratings in 2005 anyway, they still lost. The 32% Howard got was no better than IDS polled in 2003 and on some polling worse
    Michael Howard! What on earth were you thinking?
    What we're thinking: That the other front runner was David Davis. or -ies, can never remember.
    I thought Howard was unopposed.
    Except by the electorate.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Basically, bet on Boris staying. Without an obvious replacement, I just can't see MPs pulling the trigger.

Have you never heard of Rishi Sunak?
    Can’t see it myself.
    Can’t see that he would be better?

If they replaced Boris with the Bishop of Bath and Wells from Blackadder it would be better.
    It was clear that Major was going to lead the Conservative Party to a poor result in 1997 (albeit few forecast exactly how poor), and he wasn't replaced.

Being shit is a necessary but not sufficient condition for MPs to dump their leader.
    The Conservatives can still win the next election if they replace Boris and handle the credit crunch well. That’s what is driving this Robert, Conservatives don’t believe Boris leadership and policy handles the credit crunch well. Basically they want to take back control of policy to stand a chance in the next election, not write it off like they did in 97.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Really fucking stupid.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Basically, bet on Boris staying. Without an obvious replacement, I just can't see MPs pulling the trigger.

Can’t see it myself.

If they replaced Boris with the Bishop of Bath and Wells from Blackadder it would be better.
    It was clear that Major was going to lead the Conservative Party to a poor result in 1997 (albeit few forecast exactly how poor), and he wasn't replaced.

Being shit is a necessary but not sufficient condition for MPs to dump their leader.
    Wrong. Maggie was never shit.
    She trailed Kinnock Labour by 10% though in autumn 1990 while polls had a Heseltine or Major led Tories back in front (given they also would replace the poll tax).

That sealed her fate
    That's not being shit.
    Don't you remember her post 1987 hubris, and the poll tax riots? I do.
    Yes, but I don't call any of that, shit. A fall from former greatness, but compared to pygmies like, thinking about it, every single one of her successors...
    Nah, she lost her touch massively. Poor decision-making + inability to listen or take advice. Maybe it was an early effect of the dementia that she suffered from in her later years.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

The Conservatives can still win the next election if they replace Boris and handle the credit crunch well. That’s what is driving this Robert, Conservatives don’t believe Boris leadership and policy handles the credit crunch well. Basically they want to take back control of policy to stand a chance in the next election, not write it off like they did in 97.
    All alternative leaders bar Sunak poll worse than Boris v Starmer. A Sunak led Tory party polls little better to what the Tories are polling now.

Unless Labour get a 10% lead and the Tories see heavy losses in the local elections then Boris stays
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Didn't IDS make it to conference and get binned off quickly afterwards? So even if Peppa makes it to the speech it doesn't mean he gets much further. Especially if its as shambolic as Kermit the Frog and Peppa Pig World efforts were.

Yes, he famously turned up the volume at the conference and got shit canned pretty soon after.
    And replacing him with Howard made zero difference to the Tory poll ratings in 2005 anyway, they still lost. The 32% Howard got was no better than IDS polled in 2003 and on some polling worse
    Michael Howard! What on earth were you thinking?
    What we're thinking: That the other front runner was David Davis. or -ies, can never remember.
    I think David Davis was the MP with the big teeth,....sorry, doesn't narrow it down....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Iain Duncan Smith delivered a speech to the 2003 Tory party conference in Blackpool yesterday that was nasty, brutish and long. Inevitably, it went down well with the party faithful in the Winter Gardens. Looked at from almost every other perspective, however, it was a disgrace. With his critics closing in on him, the Conservative leader threw good judgment to the winds. It is hard to remember a conference speech by a major party leader which did less for public debate and which reflects so discreditably on the person who gave it.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/oct/10/futureforpublicservices.politics
    I’d put money on the detail that the original Quiet Man speech was in Bournemouth not Blackpool. Maybe both speeches used the term?
    Yes, one was (as I recall) 'Never underestimate the determination [lowers voice] of a quiet man.' The sequel was 'The quiet man is here to stay and he's turning up the volume!!!!!!!!!'
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

As long as Boris continues to impose no new restrictions, especially on the vaccinated, he will keep his base and likely survive. No alternative leader polls much better v Starmer than him, including Subak and most poll worse.

Only think that might see a VONC is heavy losses in the local elections, including Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea going Labour or NOC

That there, right there, is the manifesto of a party that has given up. No longer willing to lead by example or anticipate how the public might be feeling, just "we will only start to behave after the gravest of electoral kickings".
    I don't think you're fit to wear the rosette.
    He is like a broken record with no shame

It is time for conservatives to reject sleaze and replace Boris

If they value their seats and their party they will act and not excuse the inexcusable

I would say I prefer Rishi but frankly let the mps put two candidates forward and let the members choose

Come on you 54, you know you want to
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD agrees
    This seems far worse to me than Cummings and Barnard Castle. Not least because it involves the PM and not just the PM's senior aide.

Apparently, Sue Grey is now looking into four 'occasions' that were parties that Johnson attend.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

From the Telegraph:

The UK Health Security Agency, run by Dame Jenny Harries, on Monday admitted it was wrong to claim England's isolation rules were effectively in line with other nations, including the United States.

Its rationale had been repeatedly cited by ministers as they rebuffed calls to cut isolation from seven to five days in order to tackle major staffing crises across most sectors.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/10/cabinet-anger-misleading-covid-isolation-guidance/

Honestly, what are these people trying to do to the country? It's no wonder conspiracy theories flourish when government departments are actively lying to politicians.

HSA doing a great job at appearing to be even shitter than PHE.....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Which raises the question. How?
    What is Sunakism? Apart from a bloody good Scrabble score?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

All alternative leaders bar Sunak poll worse than Boris v Starmer. A Sunak led Tory party polls little better to what the Tories are polling now.

Unless Labour get a 10% lead and the Tories see heavy losses in the local elections then Boris stays
    Well you say that now, HYUFD, but any polls you refer to clearly don't factor in the latest imbroglio.
    He looks less credible than Matt Hancock.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

As long as Boris continues to impose no new restrictions, especially on the vaccinated, he will keep his base and likely survive. No alternative leader polls much better v Starmer than him, including Subak and most poll worse.

Only think that might see a VONC is heavy losses in the local elections, including Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea going Labour or NOC

That there, right there, is the manifesto of a party that has given up. No longer willing to lead by example or anticipate how the public might be feeling, just "we will only start to behave after the gravest of electoral kickings".

If they value their seats and their party they will act and not excuse the inexcusable

I would say I prefer Rishi but frankly let the mps put two candidates forward and let the members choose

It took me a while to work out what you meant by "you 54". I was thinking you meant Theresa May, who was the 54th PM.
    I guess she would be one of the 54 too.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Doesn’t look good for Boris. Still, he’ll probably stick it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Cookie said:

From the Telegraph:

It's just a new name for same thing isn't it?. One of Hancock's wheezes to deflect from some shit storm or other that I forget now.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD agrees
    This seems far worse to me than Cummings and Barnard Castle. Not least because it involves the PM and not just the PM's senior aide.

Apparently, Sue Grey is now looking into four 'occasions' that were parties that Johnson attend.
    Same old Tories. 🤷‍♀️
  • Options

Thinking back a few threads, did @MoonRabbit have advance knowledge of today’s leak?

No

@MoonRabbit maintained wallpapergate would see Boris gone in a fortnight and I said it would not be wallpapergate but partygate is the real danger for him
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Well you say that now, HYUFD, but any polls you refer to clearly don't factor in the latest imbroglio.
    They do, this story is no different to the previous garden party photos.

If you are still voting Tory now you are a staunch anti new restrictions voter, so will keep voting Tory regardless unless Boris imposes new restrictions
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Tighter spending. Competence and standards in government. A bit more businesslike energy, better hair, and a faint whiff of royalty if he doesn't mind me saying. Could be a winning combination.
  • Options

Presume Labour will be tabling an emergency motion on parties tomorrow?

They've got Peppa bang to rights misleading the House. Nobody forced him to say he shocked by the revelation that unknown people had been holding parties in his home.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    So, any predictions on what poor mog is going to be battered to death first thing this morning and thrown onto the table on R4 Today?

Escalating Russia situation somehow or other?

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD agrees
    Gah! Why didn't this come out then and bring down the entire government? My contention at the time - that Barnard Castle was one of the great political stories - would have been utterly vindicated!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Iain Duncan Smith delivered a speech to the 2003 Tory party conference in Blackpool yesterday that was nasty, brutish and long. Inevitably, it went down well with the party faithful in the Winter Gardens. Looked at from almost every other perspective, however, it was a disgrace. With his critics closing in on him, the Conservative leader threw good judgment to the winds. It is hard to remember a conference speech by a major party leader which did less for public debate and which reflects so discreditably on the person who gave it.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/oct/10/futureforpublicservices.politics
    I’d put money on the detail that the original Quiet Man speech was in Bournemouth not Blackpool. Maybe both speeches used the term?
    Yes, one was (as I recall) 'Never underestimate the determination [lowers voice] of a quiet man.' The sequel was 'The quiet man is here to stay and he's turning up the volume!!!!!!!!!'
    Aha!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

You mean, in stark contrast to the rigorous and clearly defined doctrine which is Borisism?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Tighter spending. Competence and standards in government. A bit more businesslike energy, better hair, and a faint whiff of royalty if he doesn't mind me saying. Could be a winning combination.
    "Tighter spending" really isn't what was voted for.
    Mind you. Not sure competence and standards were either
  • Options
    It does feel like No 10 morphed into a frat house while we were all locked up https://twitter.com/mattgreencomedy/status/1480629946519281668
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

So, any predictions on what poor mog is going to be battered to death first thing this morning and thrown onto the table on R4 Today?

Escalating Russia situation somehow or other?

They’ll take the lift.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

It took me a while to work out what you meant by "you 54". I was thinking you meant Theresa May, who was the 54th PM.
    It takes 54 letters to the 1922 chair
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Well said. Right and wrong didn't used to be something that could be easily set aside because of some bizarre partisan rationalisation. Boris is corrupt and incompetent and a joke and a liability. Replace him, do the right thing and the Tories could still win.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

You mean, in stark contrast to the rigorous and clearly defined doctrine which is Borisism?
    Well quite. It may begin to emerge that the problem wasn't Boris at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

"Tighter spending" really isn't what was voted for.
    Mind you. Not sure competence and standards were either
    Yes, Sunak plus austerity likely means Tory defeat anyway.

He was only popular when he was spending, if he is cutting spending and raising tax replacing Boris with Sunak would be as pointless as Labour replacing Blair with Brown in 2007 proved to be by 2010.

Austerity only scraped a majority win for the Tories once in 2015 with low tax but many fiscally conservative Remain voters who backed Cameron are now voting LD
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

The dilemma might be something like this.

Sunak (or any other AN Other) probably loses next time. Maybe not by much, but probably they lose. I'm not sure about this, but anyone who isn't Boris definitely loses part of the 2019 coalition. In Sunak's case, it's the chunk of the Red Wall who really wanted money spent on them.

Johnson probably loses bigly next time. But there's a chance he can turn this round. He's magical like that.

So you're a Conservative MP. Do you accept a decent loss in 2024 (which may mean that you personally are out of a job) by having not-Boris as your leader.

Or do you gamble? Boris probably leads the party to a big defeat, but he might win...
  • Options
    The Downing Street party scandal is closing in on Boris Johnson – excellent snap analysis by @PronouncedAlva of why this revelation is different from others. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/conservatives/2022/01/the-downing-street-party-scandal-is-closing-in-on-boris-johnson
  • Options
    ping said:

Doesn’t look good for Boris. Still, he’ll probably stick it out.

Yes, he often does when under stress. Carrie should have a word with him about it really.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Or do you gamble? Boris probably leads the party to a big defeat, but he might win...

You need to define "big defeat"

He not only loses the election, he tarnishes the brand for a generation...

EDIT: And Brexit
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD agrees
    Gah! Why didn't this come out then and bring down the entire government? My contention at the time - that Barnard Castle was one of the great political stories - would have been utterly vindicated!
    It was, it was just a slow burner

People are going to join the dots: Boris and Cummings secured Brexit, and both are now exposed as frauds. Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited January 2022

Emails have been around for about 25 years, whatsapp and mobile instant messaging about 10. Most people still don't understand that everything is recorded forever, and are extremely careless when communicating this way.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

No, I meant I can’t see Sunak as a trigger puller. I’ve no doubt he would be a better PM.
    It’s Sunak spin team which has hollowed Boris out. They have been spinning like tops for months now. Poor things need to make use of this weeks sunny weather, go outside with a glass of something, relax. Great view of the No. 10 terrace from the Treasury balcony.
    Does Sunak have a team? Can he fill a taxi, a minibus or a conference hall? Suspect taxi.
    He does actually yeah. I have been following it in the papers. What a job they have done for their boss, hollowing out and bringing down Boris from where things were before they started. Coordinating with Cummings and other Conservatives who have decided to replace Boris with better leader asap, to keep the drip drip effective as it has been.

The real losers of the change of leader are Labour and Lib Dems I suspect.
    Agree with your last sentence. Labour, the SNP, the Lib Dems, Plaid and Greens all want him to stay (irrespective of what they say in public.)

Regarding your first paragraph: no. Don’t believe everything you read in the papers.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

It takes 54 letters to the 1922 chair
    As Sir Graham Brady Old Lady has his own leadership ambitions, I have often wondered whether he can send letters to himself?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

He is not Johnson, which is pretty much Starmer's pitch. Either will do on those grounds, Question is whether Sunak is perceived as a better non-Boris than Starmer. This maybe where the parties come in. Labour or Conservative?
  • Options
    Did someone predict a Tory lead by end of Jan in at least one poll?
  • Options
    "So what did you say to everyone?"
    "That I'm just as furious as them that anyone went to a party during lockdown"
    "And what did you do"
    "Went to parties during lockdown" https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/1480664761243213837/photo/1

• Options
    Whoever is leaking this is highly skilled.
    I mentioned earlier lockdown is off the table. There's a growing conviction the pandemic is in its death throes. Cost of living is front and centre now.
    What better time to bring out a bunch of wealthy yahoos on the piss?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Cookie said:

From the Telegraph:

It's just a new name for same thing isn't it?. One of Hancock's wheezes to deflect from some shit storm or other that I forget now.
    Same thing, it was dreamt up as a way of giving Dido Harding a job that could eventually lead to her being named head of the NHS. Happily Hancock got booted and Javid has no love for Dido so booted her as well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

If you are still voting Tory now you are a staunch anti new restrictions voter, so will keep voting Tory regardless unless Boris imposes new restrictions
    No, there's far more to it than that.
    To me, restrictions or not is the most important issue. But the Tories have frankly already shat that bed. They're better than Labour, but if I want a party which didn't vote for Plan B I already have the Lib Dems quietly winking at me.
    But I don't think I'm typical. Most people are not so dogmatic as me about restrictions or not. But they do want good government, integrity, competence, etc. If that aligns with their political principles, so much the better. But for most people it's not all about when we reverse Plan B.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

There was something brilliantly calm about Sunak when I watched him in action and then spoke to him. Knew what he was doing, knew he had a superb team working for him, was human and charming and alarmingly sexier than a 4 foot 2 man should be.

He's a northern Tory, he gets the need to offer the north more than HYUFD's "we don't need your vote cos you aren't really Tories", knows that as a gazillionaire he won't be swayed by the desperate need to line his own pockets like Peppa, and can point to almost unbelievable heroics throwing oceans of cash at business to keep people on jobs when the alternative was mass bankruptcies and unemployment.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Stronger point if we had a handle on Starmerism
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It does feel like No 10 morphed into a frat house while we were all locked up https://twitter.com/mattgreencomedy/status/1480629946519281668

Toga!
    Toga!
    Toga!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Toga!
    Toga!
    Toga!
    I don't think the No 10 toga party photos are due out until Sunday tbf.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Well indeed. No one has come up with an answer to the GFC. Though many have tried. And not just in this country either.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

She was by 1989. Completely lost the plot, hence axed by her own party.
    Oh yes. By 89 she was showing clear signs of mental wear and tear. A bit unsettling. She was mesmerising. In a bad way.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

I think we can safely say it's soft-left Blairism without Blair.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Whoever is leaking this is highly skilled.
    I mentioned earlier lockdown is off the table. There's a growing conviction the pandemic is in its death throes. Cost of living is front and centre now.
    What better time to bring out a bunch of wealthy yahoos on the piss?

1. Sunak has the best people. Like seriously impressive strategists and communicators.
    2. Cummings may be a dishonest bogeyman. But he is the classic lover spurned out to seek his revenge. As I've said repeatedly I was never much interested in his views on things but very interested in what he could prove. And what a lot of things he can prove ...
  • Options
    edited January 2022

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

There was something brilliantly calm about Sunak when I watched him in action and then spoke to him. Knew what he was doing, knew he had a superb team working for him, was human and charming and alarmingly sexier than a 4 foot 2 man should be.

He's a northern Tory, he gets the need to offer the north more than HYUFD's "we don't need your vote cos you aren't really Tories", knows that as a gazillionaire he won't be swayed by the desperate need to line his own pockets like Peppa, and can point to almost unbelievable heroics throwing oceans of cash at business to keep people on jobs when the alternative was mass bankruptcies and unemployment.
    The only hypothetical voting intention under Sunak had the Tories still trailing Starmer Labour by 3%. Sunak made zero net gains from Labour, only slight gains he made were from London and Southern LDs

https://twitter.com/ElectsWorld/status/1475580171881172998?s=20
  • Options

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

He's from Southampton.
    Was Ed Miliband from Doncaster?
  • Options

Arrogance is a pre-requisite for Tory staffers and arse-lickers. Cf Fraser Nelson.
  • Options
    One frontbencher said: “I think this is the worst exposed the prime minister has ever been by these leaks. There’s no explanation, there’s no way to distance himself. His only saviour is if the public has given up caring.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/10/email-shows-boris-johnsons-official-invited-no-10-staff-to-lockdown-byob-party
  • Options
    What this country really needs at this time of a cost of living crunch is an even wealthier PM then?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

He's from Southampton.
    Was Ed Miliband from Doncaster?
    Remember.

Southern Hampshire is the north in the wrong place. Though the weather is better.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

The only hypothetical voting intention under Sunak had the Tories still trailing Starmer Labour by 3%. Sunak made zero net gains from Labour, only slight gains he made were from London and Southern LDs
    You are like a broken record and I am tempted to suggest to my son he throws you a lifebelt to stop you sinking
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Met Police will investigate.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

You keep desperately flailing about posting this same shit. It's as if Conservative voters no longer care about conservation. Good governance. The British way. Principles. You keep saying "as long as we lift restrictions" - people vote on a lot more than that.
    Red wall voters don't give a toss about conservation or fiscal conservatism, after all the only Tory leader they ever voted for was big spending Boris as he promised to get Brexit done
  • Options

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

You sound almost un-hostile to him...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

What this country really needs at this time of a cost of living crunch is an even wealthier PM then?

Someone who knows how to manage money at the highest levels is perfect
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,662
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

She was by 1989. Completely lost the plot, hence axed by her own party.
    "We are a grandmother"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    dixiedean said:

If Sunak becomes PM, I think it would be a mistake for Labour to attack him on the grounds of wealth. People tend not to mind people being rich so long as they are good at what they do.
  • Options
    I have a feeling Sue Grey might be relishing the investigation she's picked up.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

You are like a broken record and I am tempted to suggest to my son he throws you a lifebelt to stop you sinking
    You are absolutely right Big G. HY’s line is not at all convincing.

Your the Big winner Big G. In Rishi you are about to get your party back.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited January 2022
    IanB2 said:

Source?

Have they actually said they’ll investigate? BBC is rather noncommittal.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Is all this talk of parties with 100s of people designed to annoy the Lib Dems?

Only 30 turned up, sounds like a Lib Dem party conference....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

PC plod (aka as Cressida): Did you have a party in May 2020?

PM PPS: No.

PC plod: That's great. Thanks. We can wrap this one up quickly.
  • Options

It’s a tough gig; she could make history, or finish her career, straight away, or do what initially appears to be a good piece of work that falls apart on scrutiny.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

You keep desperately flailing about posting this same shit. It's as if Conservative voters no longer care about conservation. Good governance. The British way. Principles. You keep saying "as long as we lift restrictions" - people vote on a lot more than that.
    Red wall voters don't give a toss about conservation or fiscal conservatism, after all the only Tory leader they ever voted for was big spending Boris as he promised to get Brexit done
    Red wall voters value honestly, integrity, fairness, and above all else not to be taken for granted with one rule for them and one for everyone else

You really are blind to that which is staring you in the face
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

behave HY quoting your fantasy celebdaq nonsense - the positive publicity of leadership hustings and pledges, a new leader crowned. Fresh start changes everything into a whole new ball game rendering what you are waving around at us about as prosphetic as the Munich agreement.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

You have an extraordinarily narrow concept of what Conservatism now means. Unsustainably narrow.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

You sound almost un-hostile to him...
    I've been singing Sunak's praises on here ever since he saved the company I was working for at the time with furlough and loans. Literally saved it and everyone's jobs. And have tipped him not just to run for leader but why he can win the next election for the Tories.

I am not viscerally hostile to the Tories. All parties have good and bad people and do good and bad things. This government under this clown with the cretins like Braverman and Dorries in the cabinet make Brown's final year in office look good.
  • Options
    Labour majoring on Boris’s previous faux anger at how his staff had flouted the rules, and supposed surprise that these parties had been going on. “He lied to parliament” is the line.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Rishi will not win back a single redwall voter if they are no longer voting Tory.

His only chance of scraping a win v Starmer is rebuilding the Cameron 2015 coalition. However that means attracting back some Remainers now voting LD and that likely means a softer Brexit which could split the Tories again
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Labour majoring on Boris’s previous faux anger at how his staff had flouted the rules, and supposed surprise that these parties had been going on. “He lied to parliament” is the line.

It's a good tactic. Lying to Commons is very serious. Well, normally it is. With Johnson it's just the cost of doing business every day.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

I really hope so

Boris looks gone in the media tonight and I just hope he does the decent thing for once and resigns
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

behave HY quoting your fantasy celebdaq nonsense - the positive publicity of leadership hustings and pledges, a new leader crowned. Fresh start changes everything into a whole new ball game rendering what you are waving around at us about as prosphetic as the Munich agreement.
    Well even May and Brown got a brief poll bounce...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A competent pair of hands holding sane and fair and convincing policies. What the hands are connected to are irrelevant.

And I’m a Libdem and I suspect your dig at Sunak is from Labour supporter upset about the Tories pressing game changer button just as you thought Labour have started having fun at long last?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    IanB2 said:

It’s a tough gig; she could make history, or finish her career, straight away, or do what initially appears to be a good piece of work that falls apart on scrutiny.
    Her biggest issue right now appears to be unintentionally failing to investigate all the parties that subsequently become known about because she just can't quite believe there are more of them.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

I think we can safely say it's soft-left Blairism without Blair.
    The without Blair bit sounds good.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Red wall voters value honestly, integrity, fairness, and above all else not to be taken for granted with one rule for them and one for everyone else

You really are blind to that which is staring you in the face
    No Redwall voters back a big state, the only reason they voted Tory in 2019 for the first time in their lives was big spending Boris promised to get Brexit done.

They would vote Labour again now Brexit is done rather than Sunak fiscal conservatism
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

Rishi will not win back a single redwall voter if they are no longer voting Tory.

His only chance of scraping a win v Starmer is rebuilding the Cameron 2015 coalition. However that means attracting back some Remainers now voting LD and that likely means a softer Brexit which could split the Tories again
    I would suggest it is time for you to get a cup of tea and a rich tea biscuit
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Are you recommending we all marry a billionaire?
    One way of paying the gas bill I guess.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

I really hope so

Boris looks gone in the media tonight and I just hope he does the decent thing for once and resigns
    No chance.

He’s a digger, and he’s going to keep digging. This is going to be a real bumper year for folk who enjoy Schadenfreude.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

I really hope so

It seems unlikely but actually, maybe that would be the best way out for Johnson. He could quite reasonably fall back on the excuse of long covid has clouded his judgement, which no one could disprove.

75 years ago the men in grey suits would have had a quiet word with him.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I am sure you would not turn down the opportunity
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It's a good tactic. Lying to Commons is very serious. Well, normally it is. With Johnson it's just the cost of doing business every day.
    He has blustered and bluffed his way through various other times he has lied to parliament. Sooner or later its so blatant that a gleeful Speaker will have him thrown out of the House. This might be that occasion.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

I really hope so

No chance.

He’s a digger, and he’s going to keep digging. This is going to be a real bumper year for folk who enjoy Schadenfreude.
    Yes - I suspect you're right.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Helps if they're a Russian billionaire?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Can’t see it myself.

I really hope so

It seems unlikely but actually, maybe that would be the best way out for Johnson. He could quite reasonably fall back on the excuse of long covid has clouded his judgement, which no one could disprove.

75 years ago the men in grey suits would have had a quiet word with him.
    Right now the Conservative Party is trying to muster a few men with grey cells.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

Jonathan said:

Is all this talk of parties with 100s of people designed to annoy the Lib Dems?

Only 30 turned up, sounds like a Lib Dem party conference....
    Naughty.
This discussion has been closed.