Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

More striking evidence of Johnson’s polling decline – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2021 in General
imageMore striking evidence of Johnson’s polling decline – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited December 2021
    E pluribus unum.
  • The changes on leadership/approval ratings in recent months are even more striking than the changes in voting intention.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742

E pluribus unum.

Under Masi's rules?
  • JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Third on or thereabouts - I'm planning on watching Crazy Rich Asians on the Beeb so I'll leave you guys to it.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    edited December 2021
    EDIT: Fifth like West Ham.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Once again, a new thread while I am typing a longer and more involved post in the previous thread. @ Foxy

TimT Posts: 4,840
    4:12PM
    Foxy said:
    » show previous quotes

You cannot make an evidence based decision until there is evidence to consider.

True logically and linguistically. But I recommend you read Gary Klein (Streetlights and Shadows) on naturalistic decision-making, expertise, intuition and recognition-primed decision-making. It is a more explicit model of Kahneman's thinking fast vs thinking slow, or System I and System II.

In other words, based on genuine expertise garnered over long periods of demanding work, we can develop subconscious priming to recognize patterns that our conscious brain is unaware of. Klein cites structures firefighters and naval aviators and even weather forecasters in his research works.

I am not convinced that this is what is play with the government's decision-making (or with much decision-making by anyone about COVID, as it is so sui generis that no-one has had the data sets to acquire that definition of expertise), but thought it worth pointing out that there are evidence-based decision-making processes even in the absence of explicit evidence.
  • The polling we all need is VI of Starmer vs alternative Conservative leaders.

C'mon newspapers. It's an easy story for a quiet news day...
    tlg86 said:

Fourth like Arsenal.

And we all told @tlg86 to come forth, but he could only manage fifth...
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    NEW: No announcement of future restrictions until at least next week as Downing Street buoyed by hopeful omicron data.. https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17120419/boris-wont-announce-lockdown-before-christmas-omicron-weak/
  • ydoethur said:

E pluribus unum.

Under Masi's rules?
    That's defamatory.

Sir, I demand satisfaction for that vile calumny.
  • Does anyone know how many LFTs are used each day ?

Not the number recorded as being used but including all the negative tests which are being done.

And how does that compare to other countries ?

ydoethur said:

E pluribus unum.

Under Masi's rules?
    That's defamatory.

Sir, I demand satisfaction for that vile calumny.
    Surely you're eminently satisfied? I mean, you got the first!
  • New York reports 28,924 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record, of which 17,221 are in New York City
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735

Does anyone know how many LFTs are used each day ?

Not the number recorded as being used but including all the negative tests which are being done.

negative tests are supposed to be recorded
  • @bigjohnowls Please explain :lol:
  • FPT:
    MaxPB said:

Well I'm not going to attack the scientists for seemingly getting it wrong, everyone gets stuff wrong.

I don't get why people can't just be happy that we're seemingly avoiding another lockdown and things aren't as bad as they seemed. I'm delighted

There's a lot of people for whom lockdown is no serious imposition and they are the ones putting the SAGE reports together. The cabinet stood up to the "lockdown just in case" consensus and were right to do so.
    The government tried to suppress a report into the effect of lockdowns on the poor and minority groups:

After a 15-month long battle, the Government has finally released reports on the effect of Covid restrictions on minority groups. The results make for predictably grim reading.

Overall, they describe a catalogue of harms from March to June last year, which disproportionately affected the most vulnerable. The documents state that LGBT+ groups, women (including pregnant women), the poor, young and old, ethnic minorities, and disabled people have all been the most negatively affected by lockdowns and restrictions.

https://unherd.com/thepost/government-lockdowns-hurt-minority-groups-most/
  • South Africa new cases 21,098 down from 26,389 a week ago:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-africa/

Was it Drakeford who claimed that Omicron doubles every two days ?

If so South Africa should have been over 200k today.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,239
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: No announcement of future restrictions until at least next week as Downing Street buoyed by hopeful omicron data.. https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17120419/boris-wont-announce-lockdown-before-christmas-omicron-weak/

THE HUNDRED HAVE PREVAILED

THIS. IS. SPARTA

Fuck Scotland and Wales and that bit of Ireland with their pathetic lame one way shopping systems

ENGLAND SINGS THE PAEANS OF LIBERTY

Liz Truss. Rishi Sunak. Some other guy I forget. Jacob Rees Mogg. Take your bows. You Have PREVAILED
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Would be surprised if anyone knew in the UK.
    Our house is full of them. No one reports negatives.
    In Germany you get an LFT at the chemists. Done by the pharmacist. Well in Baden-Wurttemberg you do.
    So they may have figures.
  • With regards to other leaders, I think Sunak will probably be the biggest increase because he's leading Starmer anyway, other leaders not sure.

But I suspect there would be an awful lot of don't knows
  • Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

Fuck Scotland and Wales and that bit of Ireland with their pathetic lame one way shopping systems

Liz Truss. Rishi Sunak. Some other guy I forget. Jacob Rees Mogg. Take your bows. You Have PREVAILED
    You were literally saying it was the end of the world two days ago, you're pathetic

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

You were literally saying it was the end of the world two days ago, you're pathetic
    Now now, we have agreed to ignore each other, lest you top yourself (or I do, out of boredom from the dialogue). I am still ready to stand by our agreement. A very merry Christmas to thee and thine xx
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    Fpt, on whether Labour are opposing, or not: apparently now they never wanted a Christmas circuit breaker after all: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/22/labour-accused-flip-flopping-covid-restrictions/
    If even SKS isn't calling for restrictions the news is looking good. Though we'll never get him to advocate taking a mask off.
    Scott_xP said:

Yes, but they aren't, are they? I bet 9 out of 10 aren't recorded.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

Back on my first run tomorrow, looking forward to it

Oh OK, been injured, unwell or isolating?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

You should be more sympathetic toward someone with severe mood swings
  • dixiedean said:

In Germany you get an LFT at the chemists. Done by the pharmacist. Well in Baden-Wurttemberg you do.
    Perhaps the best way of estimating would be to see how many are distributed each day.

If millions of people are using them regularly but not reporting negative tests that must skew the positivity rate.
  • pigeon said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

I should be but kindness goes both ways and Leon has frequently been rude to me.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

All tests — positive, negative, and void — are meant to be recorded. It takes very little time to do so if you bother to set up an account. People who can't be bothered are throwing away data that could help us to make better decisions about managing the pandemic.
  • I've been self-isolating @pigeon
    dixiedean said:

I find it takes nearly as long to enter the results on the website as it does to do the damn test in the first place.

So I don't waste time reporting negatives.

My school used to have a separate reporting system as well, which made things worse, so we all unilaterally gave up on it.

South Africa new cases 21,098 down from 26,389 a week ago:

isage were on the radio not three minutes ago saying Omicron doubles every two days.
    edited December 2021
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:

All tests — positive, negative, and void — are meant to be recorded. It takes very little time to do so if you bother to set up an account. People who can't be bothtered are throwing away data that could help us to make better decisions about managing the pandemic.
    'Very little time if you bother to set up an account!' Have you actually done it? Pointless repetition of data every time that can and should have been saved, including name and date of birth, when all it should have is date of test, serial number and result.

It's an appalling piece of work and it's an utter waste of time anyway. Positive tests are the ones that actually matter.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Cookie said:

South Africa new cases 21,098 down from 26,389 a week ago:

isage were on the radio not three minutes ago saying Omicron doubles every two days.
    In a naïve population?

I've been self-isolating @pigeon

Oh, that's rubbish. I know to my cost how quickly your form can go to pot if you can't hit the road.

But then again, I'm old and slow, anyway. Like a tortoise wading through treacle.

pigeon said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

I should be but kindness goes both ways and Leon has frequently been rude to me.
    Again, yet again, I would ask you to show me the comment where I first referenced you, before you mentioned me. There is none, as you know

pigeon said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

I believe you have struggled with your health in the recent past. You have been commendably honest about it. So has @Leon although he swings both ways… so to speak 😉

Not a direct answer to your question, but in general, I think other countries think the UK's diagnostic and genomic effort is huge. Here is an email I received from someone senior at the US NIH:

The UK response to COVID from a genomic and diagnostic sense is so amazing and outsized ... Such brilliant science and development of new bioinformatic capabilities. One of the great scientific/public health success stories of all time.

It is one of the many reasons I both love and hate the British. You beat up on yourselves so much, even when you do well. Some self-deprecation is good; too much is hope- and soul-destroying.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

It does make his commentary, and analysis (such as it is) effectively worthless, however.
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

It does make his commentary, and analysis (such as it is) effectively worthless, however.
    😂

I read him for amusement, elegant wordsmithing and occasionally flashes of insight rather than analytical rigour…
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

I find it takes nearly as long to enter the results on the website as it does to do the damn test in the first place.

My school used to have a separate reporting system as well, which made things worse, so we all unilaterally gave up on it.
    The first time took me all of 5-10 minutes to set up my account and record my negative result. Thereafter, I'd say less than two minutes per result. Login with biometrics, click, click, click, enter test number, click, click, click, done. Or similar.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,060
    I hope you followed me in at 2112
    Foxy said:

FFS, another two Leicester defenders injured. The calamity couple of Vestergard and Bertrand on. Time to lay Leicester 🙄

ydoethur said:

glw said:

Scott_xP said:

All tests — positive, negative, and void — are meant to be recorded. It takes very little time to do so if you bother to set up an account. People who can't be bothtered are throwing away data that could help us to make better decisions about managing the pandemic.
    'Very little time if you bother to set up an account!' Have you actually done it? Pointless repetition of data every time that can and should have been saved, including name and date of birth, when all it should have is date of test, serial number and result.

It's an appalling piece of work and it's an utter waste of time anyway. Positive tests are the ones that actually matter.
    It takes me less than a minute to enter a result.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

Where your narrative goes wrong, is in being a narrative. God is not working his purpose out, it was never baked in that Omicron was going to be a walk in the park, not all roads lead to sunlit uplands, and somewhere inside a chronically ill HIV patient VOC sigma is evolving quietly away.

But Xmas 2021 is safe which I suppose is something
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

The first time took me all of 5-10 minutes to set up my account and record my negative result. Thereafter, I'd say less than two minutes per result. Login with biometrics, click, click, click, enter test number, click, click, click, done. Or similar.
    Well, the app (which is what I was using) demanded a lot of routine data being repeatedly entered. Including my name, dob, occupation, employer, and address.

Which should have been saved at the first time and just reused, under any sane system.

And as I am still rather busy trying to cope with their more insane demands, my answer to such a ridiculous performance is 'fuck that.'

So I don't bother. They want that information? They can get somebody who has an intellectual sophistication greater than a four year old to design their app.

If it's changed, that's good news, but I haven't time to check for a bunch of pointless negatives so they won't get that info any time soon.

Good night.
    TimT said:

Not a direct answer to your question, but in general, I think other countries think the UK's diagnostic and genomic effort is huge. Here is an email I received from someone senior at the US NIH:

The UK response to COVID from a genomic and diagnostic sense is so amazing and outsized ... Such brilliant science and development of new bioinformatic capabilities. One of the great scientific/public health success stories of all time.

It is one of the many reasons I both love and hate the British. You beat up on yourselves so much, even when you do well. Some self-deprecation is good; too much is hope- and soul-destroying.
    We also underestimate our influence, and Covid has illustrated that

Much of the early response to coronavirus - certainly in Europe, Oz, maybe the USA - was driven by the early British response, from lonely Neil Ferguson at Imperial College to the way British media then amplified his assertions online. British media has a ridiculously outsize online presence, partly because it is punchy, partly just coz of the English language, maybe something else? - anyway it is highly influential. Look how Brussels will respond to UK media stories in, say the FT, Guardian, Economist, Times, much more than any actual EU media stories in French or German, let alone Spanish or Italian. The language of Twitter is English and that is an unavoidable fact, and it alters things

Even now the UK debate on Omicron is steering the wider European debate. Holland locked down partly BECAUSE British newspapers started crapping themselves about the SA variant - that UK panic then spread across the Channel

The EU and the UK are destined to be slightly neurotic about each other, like divorcees who keep thinking "was that the right move?"

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Well, the app (which is what I was using) demanded a lot of routine data being repeatedly entered. Including my name, dob, occupation, employer, and address.

Which should have been saved at the first time and just reused, under any sane system.

And as I am still rather busy trying to cope with their more insane demands, my answer to such a ridiculous performance is 'fuck that.'

So I don't bother. They want that information? They can get somebody who has an intellectual sophistication greater than a four year old to design their app.

If it's changed, that's good news, but I haven't time to check for a bunch of pointless negatives so they won't get that info any time soon.

Good night.
    FWIW, as soon as my account was set up, it saved all that data for me. All I had to do was click on a number of options about why the test and for whom, then enter in the test kit number, then click on a number of options for the results and confirm. Done and dusted.

Negative data is every bit as valuable in science as positive data.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited December 2021

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

His passions run both high and low, we cannot all be unflappable, consistent moderates, for better and for worse. I'd advise trying not to focus on it if you find it distracting.

I find PB quite the relaxant so long as I don't take most things too seriously. Otherwise it does me more harm than good.
  • No Cabinet minister except Gove is going to lockdown now:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

His passions run both high and low, we cannot all be unflappable, consistent moderates, for better and for worse. I'd advise trying not to focus on it if you find it distracting.

I find PB quite the relaxant so long as I don't take most things too seriously. Otherwise it does me more harm than good.
    Like everyone on PB, I've had my run ins with Leon/SeanT. And you are right - he swings between extremes. But that is far from proof that his analysis is useless. And even if it is, if it makes us think, then all for the better.

Sean's posts are provocative. That's why, for the most part, I like them, regardless of whether I agree with them or whether his views are consistent.
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Good night.
    FWIW, as soon as my account was set up, it saved all that data for me. All I had to do was click on a number of options about why the test and for whom, then enter in the test kit number, then click on a number of options for the results and confirm. Done and dusted.

Negative data is every bit as valuable in science as positive data.
    The essence of science is the attempt to show that data disprove a hypothesis. So 'negative data' in that sense is immeasurably more valuable than 'positive data' which agrees with a hypothesis.

• IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

Where your narrative goes wrong, is in being a narrative. God is not working his purpose out, it was never baked in that Omicron was going to be a walk in the park, not all roads lead to sunlit uplands, and somewhere inside a chronically ill HIV patient VOC sigma is evolving quietly away.

But Xmas 2021 is safe which I suppose is something
    So is New Year looking at those hospitalisation ratios.

The Cabinet would have to be mad to agree a lockdown next week. And if they did, I doubt it would be only 99 Tory MPs who refused to vote for it.
  • Speaking of Sparta, have been viewing (or often just listening to) documentaries by Bettany Hughes.

Like being transported back to my misspent youth, and being lectured in soothing tones by Mrs Peel from The Avengers on Helen of Troy, the Oracle of Delphi and the Peloponnesian wars . . .
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

A worthless comment from you if I may say so.

He was right about what the welded doors in Wuhan meant. He was right in broad strokes about what that would mean for our lives and the markets.

He was at least half a year ahead of the formal narrative on lab leak. Some of you are still catching up on that one.

And on omicron, he was right on day 1 that the government was shatting its pants over it. Where he was wrong was assuming the govt had access to some terrible privileged info. It didn’t. All you needed to do was look at SA. Which they largely didn’t.

Oh and he’s also been ahead of the curve on the US UAP story, that something very strange indeed is unfolding, be it an earthly conspiracy or something grander.

Why is Gove so lockdown mad?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited December 2021
    ydoethur said:

If you set up an account it saves all your answers, so you only have to click through a few pages, answering a few questions that have radio buttons, and then put in the test number or scan the QR code. It doesn't take any more than 60 seconds to do.
  • So, BBC leads on 100k numbers and not the hospitalisation figures.

Who knows?
  • So, BBC leads on 100k numbers and not the hospitalisation figures.

Sky news were early pushing a narrative this is should be deeply worrying for everybody.....

So, BBC leads on 100k numbers and not the hospitalisation figures.

Sky news were early pushing a narrative this is should be deeply worrying for everybody.....
    No news is good news.

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

No Cabinet minister except Gove is going to lockdown now:

He's a massive authoritarian so having that power over people's lives appeals to his nature. Pretty sure if he could tell people at what times of day they were allowed to take a shit he would try.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

Who knows?
    I know he has a reputation of been bloody annoying and always loves scheming, but generally regarded as well read and not a moron. Now it isn't a moronic position per se to think a lockdown might be a good strategy, but he does appear to be at every stage...ohhhh too risky, lockdown....ooohbh too risky to open up...is he having an affair with Christina Pagel or Neil Ferguson something?
  • Where does it say Gove still wants lockdown

They frighten people to keep the ratings up. If all they had to talk about everyday was Meghan and Harry then all the viewers who tune in for their daily diet of doom porn would switch off, and questions would start being asked about editorial budgets.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    So, about that lockdown on the 28th?
  • RobD said:

Well if you live in Wales....
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited December 2021
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

THIS. IS. SPARTA

😂

I read him for amusement, elegant wordsmithing and occasionally flashes of insight rather than analytical rigour…
    Indeed. A gifted wordsmith.

Reminds me of an exchange with a long gone PB poster about food and wine. He thought that he had some unique tastebud power to determine the relative merits of this or that food or wine whereas what made the accounts of great or dreadful meals enjoyable was his descriptive ability.
  • Thread summarising all of today’s Omicron severity data:

Story from me, @mroliverbarnes and @rmilneNordic, running through new data from South Africa, Denmark, England & Scotland https://t.co/6axp4zau9G

Top-line: share of Omicron cases requiring hospital is lower than for Delta
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

RobD said:

Interesting to see what happens in Wales and Scotland now.

How much do they both press on with their own bespoke plans (either because they genuinely believe they're the right thing to do or just mainly to save face because they've already announced them), or do they do a quick U-turn when they realise either that no more money is forthcoming to pursue anything else if England doesn't go for further restrictions or that perhaps the data suggests it's not quite the doomsday they feared.

I suspect a certain amount of pride will lock in those changes for the 3 weeks and then at the review point it will be convenient to undo a lot of them again because they will argue that they "worked" by doing them.

Evan Davis earlier was far more informed (on the BBC - PM)talking about a casedemic and how that would not or should not influence policy.
    MaxPB said:

He's a massive authoritarian so having that power over people's lives appeals to his nature. Pretty sure if he could tell people at what times of day they were allowed to take a shit he would try.
    But everything I know of Gove tells me he is not a "massive authoritarian". And I hear a lot of goss about Gove. One of my best and oldest friends is very close to his (ex) wife.

He's obviously got many faults - and virtues - but he's not the Gestapo type. Of all the Cabinet he would have been one of my last picks for a lockdown-maniac, against the data.

Quite, quite odd. A secret new girlfriend maybe? We've seen what it did to Boris. Powerful middle aged men easily get burned and churned by pretty young ladies

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited December 2021
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:

All tests — positive, negative, and void — are meant to be recorded. It takes very little time to do so if you bother to set up an account. People who can't be bothered are throwing away data that could help us to make better decisions about managing the pandemic.
    Well see. I didn't even know that feature existed.
    And I, like most on here, am probably better informed than the average punter.
    And I still maintain that there are not the numbers, in Cabinet or parliament, for further lockdown measures.
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

Scott_xP said:

The instructions with the kits tell you this.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

RobD said:

Interesting to see what happens in Wales and Scotland now.

How much do they both press on with their own bespoke plans (either because they genuinely believe they're the right thing to do or just mainly to save face because they've already announced them), or do they do a quick U-turn when they realise either that no more money is forthcoming to pursue anything else if England doesn't go for further restrictions or that perhaps the data suggests it's not quite the doomsday they feared.

I suspect a certain amount of pride will lock in those changes for the 3 weeks and then at the review point it will be convenient to undo a lot of them again because they will argue that they "worked" by doing them.
    In terms of the press you will receive, there is never a downside for locking down harder and faster.

Its the speed limit analogy. Nobody is going to look beyond a headline figure that reducing speed limits everywhere to 20mph has dramatically cut road deaths.
  • TOPPING said:

And I still maintain that there are not the numbers, in Cabinet or parliament, for further lockdown measures.

There will certainly not be the numbers after this evening's news of 40% reduction in risk of hospital.

If 99 MPs were willing to resist a few days ago - how many would it be on say 28th?

• RobD said:

The RNLI have cancelled their traditional boxing day dip

And for the first time I have seen him referred to as Drakefool

On mandating working from home he said it was the same as the previous regulations which they did not prosecute a single case, but it is there so employees can report their employer if they insist on coming into the office

Corbyn style left wing control
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

But everything I know of Gove tells me he is not a "massive authoritarian". And I hear a lot of goss about Gove. One of my best and oldest friends is very close to his (ex) wife.

He's obviously got many faults - and virtues - but he's not the Gestapo type. Of all the Cabinet he would have been one of my last picks for a lockdown-maniac, against the data.

Quite, quite odd. A secret new girlfriend maybe? We've seen what it did to Boris. Powerful middle aged men easily get burned and churned by pretty young ladies
    You had me until "pretty." I mean, I'm not that poster with the James Bond name who has slept with more beautiful women than most people have drawn breaths, but I look at photos of Jennifer and Carrie and completely irrelevant violinists and I think, Really?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

Same as Drakefool/Drakeford
  • Just published @NEJM

Remdesvir finally hits strong efficacy in a clinical trial. High risk outpatients with Covid randomized to IV infusions over 3 days (vs placebo): 87% reduced risk of hospitalizations. No effect on viral load.
    https://nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2116846?query=featured_home

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1473779207666745346?s=20
    As for test recording when I tested positive I did, say, ten LFTs of which five were positive. If I had recorded them all then surely the positive test results would have been increased fivefold.

So surely it is only PCRs that are registered. Although that makes me wonder what about those who take multiple PCRs...
  • RobD said:

On mandating working from home he said it was the same as the previous regulations which they did not prosecute a single case, but it is there so employees can report their employer if they insist on coming into the office

What utter drivel
  • Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I agree. It is a mystery.

• Here's an update of key #COVID19 metrics in Gauteng South Africa

• Cases and test positivity declining
    • Cases trajectory halving time about 5.5 days
    • Hospital admissions at or passed its peak
    • Deaths rising, but much lower relative to previous wave (~14%)

https://twitter.com/rid1tweets/status/1473733362644885505?s=20
  • Had a good evening, had a meal out tonight in a local restaurant. Good meal and for a normal weekday it would seem busy, but half the tables were empty a couple of nights before Christmas. Tragic what all the fearmongering has done to damage people's livelihoods, but enjoyed our evening putting the world to right by living in it. :)

And then just been listening to the Liverpool game on the radio after getting home. Wow what a comeback at the end.

Now if I'm reading correctly it seems even more remote now that there will be a lockdown post-Christmas. Those of us who opposed restrictions called this right and Nena's 99 Rebel Loons deserve all our thanks. Fraser Nelson deserves an OBE for the way he revealed the flaw in SAGE's reporting just before Cabinet voted, surely they can never lock us down again now?

What a great night! Not been able to drink yet as I was driving, but time to crack one open now I think. Fantastic!

Lets all have some Festive Cheer, its about time!

Certainly when the history books are written Fraser Nelson's article/tweets just before Cabinet may be seen as the turning point in this dismal saga.

Had a good evening, had a meal out tonight in a local restaurant. Good meal and for a normal weekday it would seem busy, but half the tables were empty a couple of nights before Christmas. Tragic what all the fearmongering has done to damage people's livelihoods, but enjoyed our evening putting the world to right by living in it. :)

And then just been listening to the Liverpool game on the radio after getting home. Wow what a comeback at the end.

Now if I'm reading correctly it seems even more remote now that there will be a lockdown post-Christmas. Those of us who opposed restrictions called this right and Nena's 99 Rebel Loons deserve all our thanks. Fraser Nelson deserves an OBE for the way he revealed the flaw in SAGE's reporting just before Cabinet voted, surely they can never lock us down again now?

What a great night! Not been able to drink yet as I was driving, but time to crack one open now I think. Fantastic!

Lets all have some Festive Cheer, its about time!

Thanks for Philling us in, Bart.
  • dixiedean said:

glw said:

Scott_xP said:

Its not like there is a hidden option to set up an account. Every time you are asked whether to "Create Account" "Sign In" in big letters and "Continue without an account" in much smaller letters.

RobD said:

Owen Jones (for it was he) did a surprisingly insightful, thoughtful column in the Guardian today, about the way the nation is slowly turning against lockdown. He's on the money

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/22/omicron-covid-restrictions-young-people

The credulous, slavish social democrat yearning for more restrictions - more, more! lock us down more! - will soon become self defeating and then electorally toxic. The people have had enough, they know this all costs money and sanity, absent a scary new Black Death variant we are on the brink of saying Fuck off, Let's live

Starmer is in a rather tricky position. He has publicly and recently yelled for more lockdown. What if the science suddenly says he is wrong? There is danger here for the New Authoritarian Left
    TOPPING said:

As for test recording when I tested positive I did, say, ten LFTs of which five were positive. If I had recorded them all then surely the positive test results would have been increased fivefold.

So surely it is only PCRs that are registered. Although that makes me wonder what about those who take multiple PCRs...

No, only 1 positive test per person is in the figures. It seems that way even if months apart and reinfection.

Incidentally, a lot of the data entry is backdated. By date of test we had 103 000 positives on the 15th Dec.

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Here's an update of key #COVID19 metrics in Gauteng South Africa

• Cases and test positivity declining
    • Cases trajectory halving time about 5.5 days
    • Hospital admissions at or passed its peak
    • Deaths rising, but much lower relative to previous wave (~14%)

https://twitter.com/rid1tweets/status/1473733362644885505?s=20

iSAGE gritting their teeth...
  • When did Starmer call for another lockdown
  • Leon said:

RobD said:

Owen Jones (for it was he) did a surprisingly insightful, thoughtful column in the Guardian today, about the way the nation is slowly turning against lockdown. He's on the money

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/22/omicron-covid-restrictions-young-people

The credulous, slavish social democrat yearning for more restrictions - more, more! lock us down more! - will soon become self defeating and then electorally toxic. The people have had enough, they know this all costs money and sanity, absent a scary new Black Death variant we are on the brink of saying Fuck off, Let's live

Starmer is in a rather tricky position. He has publicly and recently yelled for more lockdown. What if the science suddenly says he is wrong? There is danger here for the New Authoritarian Left
    Nobody holds oppositions to such calls if they are found to be wrong and the narrative moves on.

When did Starmer call for another lockdown

He hasn't in this wave has he?
This discussion has been closed.