Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On the day of the 1st anniversary of the vaccine – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

I told you not to misunderestimate Starmer.

He's a top lawyer and lawyers are awesome.

Who appears to have hired a new comms person to help prep the PMQs, judging by the 'Ant and Dec' zinger.

Cut through.
    I thought that was poor. He can't deliver a joke. Cross examining the guilty is where his expertise are.

So only question now, Boris to step down when?
    After he loses GE2029.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    moonshine said:

How to interpret Sunak’s body language and face? Shame because he was involved? Or shame that he’s the next most senior member of this government?

If the latter, then i think bojo could be done by next weekend with a coronation given the state of play on covid. If the former, they’ll all go down together on the same sinking ship.

They can only get away with a coronation if there is only one candidate. Possible, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Johnson in serious trouble for the first time.

Yes, it does look fairly serious for him. Not sure bluster and shamelessness will necessarily get him through this time.

Interesting.
  • Options
    I genuinely think, Johnson is unwell. He's fallen off the waggon
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I can't really see a good way out of this for the Tories.

What a mess.

Boris gets pushed out.
    And the Tories probably face a decade or more in opposition.

Removing proven election winners rarely works. After forcing Thatcher out the Tories lost 3 out of 4 of the next general elections, after Blair went Labour has lost 4 General elections in a row.

There is a reason non Tories want Boris out as he is the most successful Tory election winner since Thatcher and also the leader with most appeal to the RedWall. Remove him and Starmer's job becomes easier
    I concur.

Keep Boris. Please.
    HYUFD as tone death as ever is see.

HYUFD - I’ve voted conservative. Consistently. Not anymore.

And there’s plenty more who’ll do the same until Bojo is gone. It was funny when he was mayor and plummeting down zip wires. It stopped being funny when he became prime minister
    Do you live in a RedWall seat or seat in the top 100 Labour targets or a seat in the top 50 LD targets? If not then your opinion does not really matter under FPTP, your seat will stay Tory or Labour anyway however you vote
    I live in a Red Wall seat. 3 Cyclefree family votes.

I look forward to my opinion now mattering to the Tory party.
    Did you vote Tory in 2019? No.

Your opinion only matters if you not only live in those seats but voted for the Tory MP in 2019 too
    Copeland was a Labour seat for very many years. How do you think it became Tory? Because the Tory candidate took the trouble to listen to the opinions of people who had not voted Tory before.

How do you think she increased her majority at the two subsequent General Elections? By getting the votes of people who had not previously voted Tory.

I know you will find this hard to understand. But try. Just for once.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

LD 11/10 in NS now. Doesn't look value, but in a couple of hours it might retrospectively do

Looks like massive value to me.

They should be heavy odds-on favourites. I don't see any possible way that the Tories win this seat in a mid-term by-election mired in scandal.

I wouldn't turn out to vote for this shower of shite. Who would?
    Well there was one guy on R5 this morning who called in to opine that it was all just Labour point scoring, and all is fine.
    So there's that.
    HYUFD?

Or are there two people who think like that?

Boris making the best of a very bad situation here now with the apology and investigation, but the whole situation is shambolic.

Still, when in a hole, stop digging. At least he's not made the situation worse, but it is a shambles.
    Indeed, I wasn't expecting an apology! Sack Stratton and that'll be an end to it all.

Johnson can reward himself with and hour or two of campaign dressing up for nipping that problem in the bud.
    Indeed, provided there is no evidence Boris was there he can sack Stratton from her COP26 spokesperson role and discipline the attendees and the news cycle will move on
  • Options
    FWIW I don't think Plan B is a dead cat.

If he wanted a bona fide dead cat he could have triggered Article XVI.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

LD 11/10 in NS now. Doesn't look value, but in a couple of hours it might retrospectively do

They should be heavy odds-on favourites. I don't see any possible way that the Tories win this seat in a mid-term by-election mired in scandal.

Well there was one guy on R5 this morning who called in to opine that it was all just Labour point scoring, and all is fine.
    So there's that.
    Oh? What does HYUFD sound like? Cockney geezer or the softer rural Essex burr? :wink:
    Neither, I grew up in Tunbridge Wells
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited December 2021
    Stocky said:

moonshine said:

How to interpret Sunak’s body language and face? Shame because he was involved? Or shame that he’s the next most senior member of this government?

If the latter, then i think bojo could be done by next weekend with a coronation given the state of play on covid. If the former, they’ll all go down together on the same sinking ship.

They can only get away with a coronation if there is only one candidate. Possible, but I doubt it.
    It would be self indulgent to have a contest during a period of crisis with covid restrictions. But equally if restrictions are needed, it’s a Dave speech of “that prime minister cannot be me”. Sunak Pm by Xmas looks a decent shot to me.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited December 2021
    Stereodog said:

Starmer was very good but if I were him I'd have asked at least one question on a different topic, just to armour against the playing politics jibe.

Yes, he needed an example of the results of chaotic government as well. A couple of questions on Afghanistan would have been appropriate.

Listening on the radio I thought his delivery was pretty dull. The ball struck him and went in but it needed a more mocking tone.

Still, I can't believe whoever released this doesn't have more...
  • Options

I genuinely think, Johnson is unwell. He's fallen off the waggon

Long Covid-19 and a baby and new baby on the way is going to make him feel and look rougher than a badger's arse.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,706
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    Oh? What does HYUFD sound like? Cockney geezer or the softer rural Essex burr? :wink:
    Royal Tunbridge Wells please. I had a friend who lived there and his mum was most insistent on the Royal.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I say again: at 12:19:50 or thereabouts Sunak nods approvingly 3 or 4 times to Blackford saying tories must decide whether bj man to lead these islands. Extraordinary.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Stocky said:

moonshine said:

It would be self indulgent to have a contest during a period of crisis with covid restrictions. But equally if restrictions are needed, it’s a Dave speech of “that prime minister cannot be me”. Sunak Pm by Xmas looks a decent shot to me.
    Boris toppled by Sunak who then imposes another lockdown would be a Tice and RefUK wet dream
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Stocky said:

moonshine said:

Hope so. Plus will be good for my bet!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    HYUFD?

Boris making the best of a very bad situation here now with the apology and investigation, but the whole situation is shambolic.

Still, when in a hole, stop digging. At least he's not made the situation worse, but it is a shambles.
    Indeed, I wasn't expecting an apology! Sack Stratton and that'll be an end to it all.

Johnson can reward himself with and hour or two of campaign dressing up for nipping that problem in the bud.
    Indeed, provided there is no evidence Boris was there he can sack Stratton from her COP26 spokesperson role and discipline the attendees and the news cycle will move on
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding this but I thought this “impromptu gathering” was at the PM’s house!!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
    To quote a former PM, "Nothing has changed!"

BoZo is useless. No change.

BoZo is an habitual liar. No change.

BoZo is utterly shameless. No change.

BoZo takes no personal responsibility for anything. No change.

The fanbois love him. No change.

Unless the men in grey suits act, he is there to stay.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,963
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

Stocky said:

moonshine said:

Boris toppled by Sunak who then imposes another lockdown would be a Tice and RefUK wet dream
    Isn't Sunak on the anti-lockdown end of the spectrum? Mainly because he's paying for it all.
  • Options

FWIW I don't think Plan B is a dead cat.

If he wanted a bona fide dead cat he could have triggered Article XVI.

That is tomorrow.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,602
    The one positive for Johnson is that he wasn't at the party.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

I bet this is how Boris Johnson denied all those affairs to Marina Wheeler.

Bozo: "I have been repeatedly assured that I have not been unfaithful. However, I will launch an enquiry to determine the facts."
    "I shall probe many, many people. We must get to the bottom of this."
  • Options
    I reckon BoJo was at the party
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

What a mess.

Boris gets pushed out.

Removing proven election winners rarely works. After forcing Thatcher out the Tories lost 3 out of 4 of the next general elections, after Blair went Labour has lost 4 General elections in a row.

There is a reason non Tories want Boris out as he is the most successful Tory election winner since Thatcher and also the leader with most appeal to the RedWall. Remove him and Starmer's job becomes easier
    I concur.

Keep Boris. Please.

And there’s plenty more who’ll do the same until Bojo is gone. It was funny when he was mayor and plummeting down zip wires. It stopped being funny when he became prime minister
    Do you live in a RedWall seat or seat in the top 100 Labour targets or a seat in the top 50 LD targets? If not then your opinion does not really matter under FPTP, your seat will stay Tory or Labour anyway however you vote

Your opinion only matters if you not only live in those seats but voted for the Tory MP in 2019 too
    Copeland was a Labour seat for very many years. How do you think it became Tory? Because the Tory candidate took the trouble to listen to the opinions of people who had not voted Tory before.

How do you think she increased her majority at the two subsequent General Elections? By getting the votes of people who had not previously voted Tory.

Did you vote for her in 2019 when it was comfortably Tory held? No. So you are not a swing voter there and your voting intention is not relevant
  • Options

Starmer was very forensic and frankly it was simply 6 - 0 to him

Ah come on. Liar dug himself in so deeply that surely he gets a negative score...
    Reminds me of the old football joke about the manager whose team had just lost 6-0 and admitted 'we were lucky to get nil.'
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

Stocky said:

moonshine said:

Sunak wouldn't do that. He was less in favour than Johnson was.
  • Options
    Well that question came straight from Cummings Twitter!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Andy_JS said:

As i said below, i bet he encouraged it and that is why got in this mess. If it was just some aids having a knees up and he genuinely didn't know, he could have sacked straight away.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'll say it again, given the layout of Downing Street, he'd have to be blind and deaf to not realise a party of 30 was taking place.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    HYUFD?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this but I thought this “impromptu gathering” was at the PM’s house!!
    He was present but not involved
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    HYUFD said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    Ah, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells? :wink:

(And, in all fairness on my original comment, I don't think even you are defending Johnson here - maybe accepting his denial, but not defending the party)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    No sound, is Fiona Bruce's question a softball one ?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

I didn't see him.
  • Options
    Labour Mp Catherine West just raised this and @BorisJohnson said there was no party. Not sure if he knew what he was being asked..! https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1468556393477292034
  • Options
    The next 48 hours will be interesting to see just how the media coverage goes down with the voters and of course North Staffordshire next week
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    HYUFD?

Stratton long gone, mate
    No, she'll still COP (26) for this.
  • Options
    'so-called conservatives'

At this rate it'll only be HYUFD and a pile of Telegraphs left in the ruins of the Reichstag.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I say again: at 12:19:50 or thereabouts Sunak nods approvingly 3 or 4 times to Blackford saying tories must decide whether bj man to lead these islands. Extraordinary.

Yes. Sunak is staring at the floor. Then looks up at the press gallery. Then nods. Tt was a slow contemplative nod that they must decide, not a supportive rapid "yes he is the right man" nod.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432

Andy_JS said:

I'll say it again, given the layout of Downing Street, he'd have to be blind and deaf to not realise a party of 30 was taking place.
    Or already passed out in a corner?
  • Options

The next 48 hours will be interesting to see just how the media coverage goes down with the voters and of course North Staffordshire next week

Shropshire
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What's even more stupid is that today we actually had pretty good information on the level of immunity escape that Omicron has, it's much better than was initially feared with two and three doses of vaccine or natural immunity providing a pretty big shield against severe disease. I simply don't see what Plan B achieves in a largely vaccinated or naturally immune population.

Because very high transmission and not as high health impacts still creates a tidal wave of people sick and in hospital and dying. The scenario seems to be that fewer people will get really sick from Omicron than Delta, but if as transmittable as suggested there will be a lot of them.
    But plan B isn't going to prevent that? We can see across the whole of Europe that plan b measures are of low value. France just clicked in 58k cases despite all having all of this in place, Germany has been clocking in 70k+ per day for a while despite tougher than plan B. The Netherlands is in pretty much lockdown and getting our equivalent of 80k cases per day.

You're aiming a hose pipe at a forest fire and expecting it to make a difference, it won't. If anything you're falling for their bullshit lies that Plan B will miraculously make everything go away. It won't. All it means is we're all living in a police state where the government has the ability to exclude people from normal life if they feel like it.
    The view from the health experts and NHS managers is that it will help. Who am I to tell them they are wrong? The difference between us and the countries you mention is that because they kept restrictions on things like masks, they were able to keep case numbers very low. We did not and hence suffered 40k new cases a day month after month which put the service under such massive prolonged pressure.
    And yet now the Netherlands has got more people in hospital than their first wave peak, Germany has got more in the ICU than their second wave peak, France is heading in the same direction. All that's different about what they did is they will end up with the same number of people hospitalised, except in a much shorter timeframe. However you slice this, everyone will get COVID and for unvaccinated people ~10% will end up in hospital for vaccinated people about ~0.5%, most countries are trending towards 70-75% people vaccinated, which means there's a lot of people who are potentially going to enter the funnel and end up in hospital. That is going to happen today, tomorrow or three months from now because COVID isn't going to go away.

That's the grim reality of COVID, we're all going to get it multiple times and people are going to die from it every year, it is the new influenza and will take the lives of the vulnerable every year just as the flu does. That's the reality, whether the NHS managers want to admit it or whether they think they can eliminate death is simply irrelevant. Chris Whitty has said multiple times that everyone in the country is going to get COVID, I sat around a table of pharma and academic experts who all said the same thing, there is no escaping COVID, it's coming for all of us and sadly for some older and more vulnerable people it is going to kill them, even with vaccines just as the flu does.
    Since you mention Germany. It's far from clear what you say is true. Show me your workings.

On UK "Freedom Day" Germany had fewer than 2% of the daily cases that than the UK had. If Germany had had a Freedom Day at that time it would have taken weeks to reach similar case levels. Maybe all that would have happened is that the winter wave here would have started from a much higher base, and right now we would be in a proper lockdown, rather than a partial lockdown that only applies to unvaccinated adults.

Also on Freedom Day the UK had 87% of the adult population with at least one vaccine dose. In Germany it was 72%. If Germany waited until 87% of the adult population had a vaccine dose, we'd still be waiting now. The problem is the failure to vaccinate people, not making people put on a mask when shopping during the summer.

OK the government could have encouraged infections to spread during August-October, maybe it would have been a good idea. (Although the restrictions that were in place were put there by the Bundesländer, and generally amounted to wearing masks in shops, and barely enforced 3G rules for some venues. Plus of course test and trace and self-isolation, which I believe the UK also continued with). We would have had maybe 10% fewer people with no immunity from prior infection or vaccination. A small plus, but we would have gone into the very rapid increase of recent weeks from a much higher starting point. So I'm not at all sure we would be better off.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Starmer was excellent. Reminded me of Blair in the 1990s.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Even the Mirror categorically say he wasn't.
  • Options

I bet this is how Boris Johnson denied all those affairs to Marina Wheeler.

Bozo: "I have been repeatedly assured that I have not been unfaithful. However, I will launch an enquiry to determine the facts."
    "Will the enquiry be speaking to any of your past wives and mistresses?"
    "Stop trying to play politics and confuse people"
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

Cookie said:

I’m a landlord in two red wall constituencies.

I could vote Labour in the right circumstances to get rid of Boris Johnson and those who enabled him.

The unfortunate thing is though that the only way to get rid of Boris is to replace him with Starmer, who is even more of a lockdown fanatic.
    But Starmer would be less of a **** about it.
    You're assuming he even knows what a **** is and where to find one which, judging by his previous utterances on the topic, is doubtful.
  • Options
    "@kateferguson4

Professor Neil Ferguson says Cop could have been an omicron super spreading event.
    Points out that rates are highest in London (“to be expected”) and Scotland (where Cop was hosted) #today
    7:22 am · 8 Dec 2021·Twitter for iPhone"

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1468481007091339265
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited December 2021
    Pulpstar said:

I wonder which journalists were at this party, squeaky bum time for them too....

The Sun had a big old knees up too apparently, which is why they're leading on the weather. The Telegraph is part of the same incestuous cabal that includes the speccie and so forth, all besties with No 10 I think.
    You can probably get good odds that almost everyone who did have to work in an office last December, had some sort of deal to finish an hour or two early one day, and order some wine and nibbles.

The problem is, that nuance is difficult, and the shouts of “Christmas Party” are drowning out everything else.

It may, of course, be the case that there were loads of extra guests invited, dozens of bottles of champagne, a few grams of Colombian marching powder, and they all staggered out of of the door well past midnight.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's only plausible if he was actually elsewhere (Not at No 10). Where was he ?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Boris is not in danger lets be honest
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,925
    Caught the end of PMQs, have to say Boris looked pretty bad repeating the same line about ‘playing politics’ again and again. Hard to imagine he can win the next election at this stage

Maybe the best thing to do if thinking about long term betting is not to watch PMQs though.
  • Options

He wasn't at 'that' party. He categorically was at another
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Carrie’s influence clearly diminished, what with the Kabul cats & dogs shenanigans and Allegra hung out to dry.

With another baby on the way, I wonder if she’ll be bending boris’s arm to quit?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    HYUFD?

What about the prosecutions and £10,000 fines.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Well he hasn't said that. He said "there was no party". Then again he claims not to know about the party going on downstairs with his entire team.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited December 2021

*Rimshot*

Sir Keir Starmer: "It's obvious what happened. Even Ant & Dec are ahead of the Prime Minister on this."

“ Even Ant & Dec “. ???

Insulting gaffs about Peppa Pig and Ant and Dec in same week.

Starmer must resign!
  • Options
    This is like the dying days of Corbyn
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Shropshire
    Thanks - I keep making the same mistake and it seems age is catching me up
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Newcomers to the site should note that TSE is himself a lawyer, but far too modest to admit his own awesome prowess.
    TSE's most awesome power is his acknowledgment of his awesome modesty.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

What's even more stupid is that today we actually had pretty good information on the level of immunity escape that Omicron has, it's much better than was initially feared with two and three doses of vaccine or natural immunity providing a pretty big shield against severe disease. I simply don't see what Plan B achieves in a largely vaccinated or naturally immune population.

Because very high transmission and not as high health impacts still creates a tidal wave of people sick and in hospital and dying. The scenario seems to be that fewer people will get really sick from Omicron than Delta, but if as transmittable as suggested there will be a lot of them.
    But plan B isn't going to prevent that? We can see across the whole of Europe that plan b measures are of low value. France just clicked in 58k cases despite all having all of this in place, Germany has been clocking in 70k+ per day for a while despite tougher than plan B. The Netherlands is in pretty much lockdown and getting our equivalent of 80k cases per day.

You're aiming a hose pipe at a forest fire and expecting it to make a difference, it won't. If anything you're falling for their bullshit lies that Plan B will miraculously make everything go away. It won't. All it means is we're all living in a police state where the government has the ability to exclude people from normal life if they feel like it.
    The view from the health experts and NHS managers is that it will help. Who am I to tell them they are wrong? The difference between us and the countries you mention is that because they kept restrictions on things like masks, they were able to keep case numbers very low. We did not and hence suffered 40k new cases a day month after month which put the service under such massive prolonged pressure.
    And yet now the Netherlands has got more people in hospital than their first wave peak, Germany has got more in the ICU than their second wave peak, France is heading in the same direction. All that's different about what they did is they will end up with the same number of people hospitalised, except in a much shorter timeframe. However you slice this, everyone will get COVID and for unvaccinated people ~10% will end up in hospital for vaccinated people about ~0.5%, most countries are trending towards 70-75% people vaccinated, which means there's a lot of people who are potentially going to enter the funnel and end up in hospital. That is going to happen today, tomorrow or three months from now because COVID isn't going to go away.

That's the grim reality of COVID, we're all going to get it multiple times and people are going to die from it every year, it is the new influenza and will take the lives of the vulnerable every year just as the flu does. That's the reality, whether the NHS managers want to admit it or whether they think they can eliminate death is simply irrelevant. Chris Whitty has said multiple times that everyone in the country is going to get COVID, I sat around a table of pharma and academic experts who all said the same thing, there is no escaping COVID, it's coming for all of us and sadly for some older and more vulnerable people it is going to kill them, even with vaccines just as the flu does.
    +1
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,141
    Boris clearly in mortal danger. And permanently hobbled now. But he might be saved - in the short term at least - by events. Plan B will arrive tonight. Work from home, vaxports. London screwed again. Lockdown looming

This will overwhelm all other news.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,166
    Aslan said:
    She's so witty and edgy. Her tweets are just as edgy and cutting as a series of Marina Hyde columns as well as being just as effective.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,963
    ping said:

Carrie’s influence clearly diminished, what with the Kabul cats & dogs shenanigans and Allegra hung out to dry.

With another baby on the way, I wonder if she’ll be bending boris’s arm to quit?

I still can't get my head around that story (couldn't then, can't now). How it got up to the top of government is absolutely bewildering. Those on the ground should have told whoever that pet owner was that he and his staff could go, but not the animals.
  • Options

He was not at the alleged party
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I find it hard to believe that the temptation to show face, provide a tonic for the troops and receive a dose of phony affection from them would have been very hard to resist, even for non pathologically needy pricks.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

It's only plausible if he was actually elsewhere (Not at No 10). Where was he ?
    According to the reports he was in London (ie in Downing Street) that day.

Remember the next day he announced the new restrictions and those reports said he had been holed up in Downing Street for days.

If anyone says well he lives in the flat about Number 11 but that doesn't wash given the layout of the complex.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231
    edited December 2021

Andy_JS said:

He was present, but not involved.

(Obvious joke is obvious)
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

He wasn't at 'that' party. He categorically was at another
    The other one they probably get away with. Somebody leaving and you give a short speech then leave. Dicey, but reason the focus is on what clearly sounds like a big knees up.

As i say, my take is he has encouraged them, done the old if i don't see it, it didn't happen routine. And now he has to lie, as if he threw them under the bus, they will say Boris told us it was ok.
  • Options

This thread is now passed out in the corner of a party that never happened

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,166
    Andy_JS said:

"@kateferguson4

Professor Neil Ferguson says Cop could have been an omicron super spreading event.
    Points out that rates are highest in London (“to be expected”) and Scotland (where Cop was hosted) #today
    7:22 am · 8 Dec 2021·Twitter for iPhone"

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1468481007091339265

COP26 a superspreader event. Awsome. :)
  • Options
    Excellent question from IDS for once and he seems to have actually gotten the Prime Minister to announce a diplomatic boycott of the Winter Games. 😲

Good if so. There should be such a boycott.
  • Options
    ping said:

Maybe she'll run off with Zac ?
    He's richer, younger, slimmer & better looking than Boris and has a similar outlook on stuff to her.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    HYUFD?

You are correct, but don't you believe that is a disgraceful state of affairs?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Boris clearly in mortal danger. And permanently hobbled now. But he might be saved - in the short term at least - by events. Plan B will arrive tonight. Work from home, vaxports. London screwed again. Lockdown looming

No, people saying "you don't obey the rules so neither will we" will be the news.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Ye gods. Tory backbencher just called Plan B a "diversionary tactic".
  • Options
    Zinger from a conservative backbencher
  • Options
    Leon said:

And there we are. State curtailments of liberties is in the government toolkit now. Now about to wheel some out as a diversionary tactic to move on the news cycle.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Well he hasn't said that. He said "there was no party". Then again he claims not to know about the party going on downstairs with his entire team.
    It’s good they didn’t keep the Johnson family awake. Nor the neighbours. Not much of a party then, just port and nibbles.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

What a mess.

Boris gets pushed out.

I concur.

Keep Boris. Please.

Not sure which I admire more, the perseverance, or the unwillingness to acknowledge that you can't actually get such an answers from him....

Perhaps @Leon should sell a range of small granite walls for people to bash their heads against....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,606
    Dr Rosena giving it 100%
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    HYUFD?

What will be the next beanie do you think?
  • Options
    Tory MP for Hazel Grove - Plan B is a "diversionary tactic" and why won't the house be consulted...?
  • Options

Ye gods. Tory backbencher just called Plan B a "diversionary tactic".

It would be. The equivalent of Plan B hasn't worked in other European countries.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    This thread has been

condemned as unfit to lead these islands

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kamski said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Since you mention Germany. It's far from clear what you say is true. Show me your workings.

On UK "Freedom Day" Germany had fewer than 2% of the daily cases that than the UK had. If Germany had had a Freedom Day at that time it would have taken weeks to reach similar case levels. Maybe all that would have happened is that the winter wave here would have started from a much higher base, and right now we would be in a proper lockdown, rather than a partial lockdown that only applies to unvaccinated adults.

Also on Freedom Day the UK had 87% of the adult population with at least one vaccine dose. In Germany it was 72%. If Germany waited until 87% of the adult population had a vaccine dose, we'd still be waiting now. The problem is the failure to vaccinate people, not making people put on a mask when shopping during the summer.

OK the government could have encouraged infections to spread during August-October, maybe it would have been a good idea. (Although the restrictions that were in place were put there by the Bundesländer, and generally amounted to wearing masks in shops, and barely enforced 3G rules for some venues. Plus of course test and trace and self-isolation, which I believe the UK also continued with). We would have had maybe 10% fewer people with no immunity from prior infection or vaccination. A small plus, but we would have gone into the very rapid increase of recent weeks from a much higher starting point. So I'm not at all sure we would be better off.
    I think the point is that with that additional natural immunity there's less chance of the virus being able to reach escape velocity in the first place. That's the issue here, that getting the unvaccinated into the immunity funnel is only going to happen one way, they get COVID. Everyone is going to get COVID, pushing infections into the future was a poor idea and now lockdowns are back. Even here where Boris is shafting the nation to cover up his own deficiencies.
  • Options

Starmer was very forensic and frankly it was simply 6 - 0 to him

When Johnson is poor at PMQs you normally declare a score draw, so was today a 6-0 score draw?

• Options
    ping said:

He'd ditch her before the job, I'd have thought.
  • Options

Newcomers to the site should note that TSE is himself a lawyer, but far too modest to admit his own awesome prowess.
    Peter. Is ”awesome” a word you use as often as Eagles, or has your account been hacked 😮
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,925
    Whilst I hope Boris is toast and we can get a serious government I’m a bit conflicted on this situation.

Firstly what constitutes a “party”? Everyone in the office that day agrees to wear Christmas jumpers to cheer up after a crap year. They have booze and food in the office - like many offices. Boss of Downing Street says “right chaps, let’s knock off a bit earlier tonight and have some nibbles and wine, may as well do the secret Santa too.”

It’s not, if that’s the case, what I would call a party. If no outsiders invited in and not arranged as such.

The above might be completely wrong but as I said - what constitutes a party? And if they didn’t break covid rules as there were the same people in the office as had been working then also while not a great look I’m sure, despite the wailing, plenty of other workplaces were doing similar.

And on the Allegra Stratton video - what the f is she supposed to do? She’s doing a dummy run press conference and messing around. If she wasn’t there and doesn’t know what the hell to say then I’m not surprised by the behaviour - it feels like everyone expects everyone in government to have been walking around in sack cloth and ashes over the period - they are humans and humans aren’t perfect.

I might be slightly amoral but I find the shroud waving a bit over the top.

If they’ve broken the rules then punish them and ultimately as I said I hope Boris is toast - not because of this but because this is just a symptom of his attitude and lack of seriousness.

I’ve just heard someone on radio 2 saying nobody should have been finding anything to laugh about at the time….. I will do penance for having laughed and joked over Christmas despite my father dying 8 weeks before…..
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    HYUFD?

What about the prosecutions and £10,000 fines.
    To be paid for by an anonymous donor.....
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1468553462543753217

The arguments in favour of vaccine passports always struck me as weak on balance. Now, I'm not even convinced a case can be made for them at all ...
    4/
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

You keep saying this, but your conclusion rests entirely what the ratio is. If it's twice as many infections, with half the hospitalisation rate, then nothing has changed.
    If Omicron is very dangerous we need to protect the NHS.
    If Omicron in not so dangerous we need to protect the NHS.

Must logically be a sweet spot somewhere in between - or are we being run the NHS now?
    Yes, the UK is now basically an NHS with a country attached.

And the rest of the developed world (apart from the US) wondering why the hell they do it like that.
    Numbers of developed countries are locking down in the face of a surge in COVID. To prevent their health systems being overwhelmed.
    Don't do that! Let people enjoy their "nhs with a country attached" in peace.
    Ah - facts.

Incidentally, I came up with the perfect windup to the post-modernist "There is no objective truth, only subjective, personal truth" brigade....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Disagree on lockdown. I rate it a slim chance only.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

If you are a smart journalist what you'd really want to know and save for the final blow, is what Boris said he was going to do for Christmas and what he really did.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

So there's that.
    HYUFD?

What will be the next beanie do you think?
    I mentioned a few days ago he already has three out of the Village People, so either be a cowboy or a Native American.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Disagree on lockdown. I rate it a slim chance only.
    Unless Johnson gets caught with his cock in someone and then he'll lockdown so we all look the other way.
  • Options
    isam said:

Caught the end of PMQs, have to say Boris looked pretty bad repeating the same line about ‘playing politics’ again and again. Hard to imagine he can win the next election at this stage

Maybe the best thing to do if thinking about long term betting is not to watch PMQs though.

New betfair market - will he be PM on 1st Jan 2022.

1.07 he will.
  • Options

Dr Rosena giving it 100%

Eagles lent you his p*rnhub login? 👩🏻‍🔬
This discussion has been closed.