Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

After over-turning a 26% deficit can LAB’s recovery be sustained? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
imageAfter over-turning a 26% deficit can LAB’s recovery be sustained? – politicalbetting.com

The chart illustrates what has been a quite remarkable recovery since Starmer became leader on April 4th last year. He’s taken his party from a polling deficit of 26% to being just ahead in several current polls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    First like the Winnar I am
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I'm a Losar and so is my wife.
    SKS has that Look that you can picture outside 10 downing street - and the Blairite policies to match.

I think he'd be a terrible leader - Blair would be a very low bar for him to better.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Le Monde reports on the “surprisingly” good situation with Covid in the UK despite all restrictions being lifted in the summer.

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2021/11/27/covid-19-l-etonnante-situation-sanitaire-du-royaume-uni_6103817_3244.html
  • JBriskin3 said:

SKS has that Look that you can picture outside 10 downing street - and the Blairite policies to match.

I think he'd be a terrible leader - Blair would be a very low bar for him to better.

An even lower bar is BJ
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    QTWTAIN.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,770
    Switched on Sky to see Boris. Can the Saj's eyes get any wider?
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nobody with this variant is horribly ill

Nobody hospitalised by this variant is fully vaccinated

There is virtually zero chance that this variant was detected within days of it emerging. Much more likely it has been in Southern Africa for months before South Africa picked it up. Death rates are not sharply up in Southern Africa.

I am standing the site down to defcon 4. Enjoy your weekend.

Didn't the slides show they have been doing sequencing pretty continuously, and it was almost all Delta until now?
    Yes. In South Africa. There is no particular reason to think it started in South Africa, though. First case was Botswana.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,086
    So, how many PBers are going to lay BJ?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Le Monde reports on the “surprisingly” good situation with Covid in the UK despite all restrictions being lifted in the summer.

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2021/11/27/covid-19-l-etonnante-situation-sanitaire-du-royaume-uni_6103817_3244.html

Wait until January, and the UK England is the only country in Western Europe without significant restrictions in place.

JBriskin3 said:

An even lower bar is BJ
    BJ never Devolved Scotland thus pushing us Scots into a bitter divide for over ten years.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    MattW said:

So, how many PBers are going to lay BJ?

There are probably a few diehards who might be willing.
    Distinctly unappealing for anyone normal.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

An even lower bar is BJ
    BJ never Devolved Scotland thus pushing us Scots into a bitter divide for over ten years.
    Because of course without devolution, all would have been sweetness and light.
    PCR tests for arrivals. Would probably have been an excellent idea 20 months ago.
  • Is he bringing back face masks?

🤬🤬🤬

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

An even lower bar is BJ
    Nah, about 45% of Scots are moany gits, nothing is going to change that.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited November 2021
    DavidL said:

PCR tests for arrivals. Would probably have been an excellent idea 20 months ago.

Why? Just delaying the inevitable.

• Widening booster access from the sound of it? Good idea, that should be the only thing done, not masks.

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

An even lower bar is BJ
    Have you lived in Scotland in during the "non-divisive" ref?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    A new raft of rules being introduced, for travel testing, and masks.
    DavidL said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

An even lower bar is BJ
    Nah, about 45% of Scots are moany gits, nothing is going to change that.
    Unfortunately, there’s no recognised irony emoji that I could have added to my post.
    Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Why? Just delaying the inevitable.

What are we going to do with the positives?
    Isolate them for 10 days so they infect fewer others. Won't work indefinitely but it does buy time for new variants to be assessed. In the long run we all get it, no argument from me on that.
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

An even lower bar is BJ
    The referendum is not the same as devolution. It is quite possible to hold one in a non-devolved region/ principality.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

Is he bringing back face masks?

🤬🤬🤬

To be honest, so far he's been so mind bendingly incoherent it's difficult to tell what he's doing. Wishy washy general statements but very little detail.

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

An even lower bar is BJ
    The referendum is not the same as devolution. It is quite possible to hold one in a non-devolved region/ principality.
    Devolution lead to indyref1 - Yoons will win indyref2.

The only question is when we abolish Holyrood.
    ydoethur said:

🤬🤬🤬

To be honest, so far he's been so mind bendingly incoherent it's difficult to tell what he's doing. Wishy washy general statements but very little detail.
    It will be worse that what he says because he doesn't like to give bad news.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    "tightening up the rules on face coverings in shops and on public transport"

Does that mean compulsory, or pretty please?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    rkrkrk said:
    Why do I get the feeling this is premature?

That's what I mean by wishy washy.

Not, of course, that it can be enforced anyway as I've pointed out before. But some precision would be useful.
  • rkrkrk said:
    It would be so on brand for our shower of shite government to finally get its knickers in a covid twist over a largely harmless variant.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    rkrkrk said:
    If it really is milder then we shouldn’t do anything to stop it from driving the other variants to extinction.
  • Why are France and Macron so supported, and seemingly admired, by the europhiles and the left when he has so clearly ordered his Gendarmes to harry the refugees into the Channel?
    I hope there are ample stocks of air freshener in the room, given how much pant wetting that question indicated.

Why are France and Macron so supported, and seemingly admired, by the europhiles and the left when he has so clearly ordered his Gendarmes to harry the refugees into the Channel?

Because he's not British. HTH.
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

🤬🤬🤬

My only concern is why what we have heard required the A team out on a Saturday. Its pretty boring to be honest.
  • RobD said:

rkrkrk said:
    Yep.
  • ydoethur said:

Why are France and Macron so supported, and seemingly admired, by the europhiles and the left when he has so clearly ordered his Gendarmes to harry the refugees into the Channel?

Because he's not British. HTH.
    Which means he didn't vote for Brexit..
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    RobD said:

rkrkrk said:
    Could be. I wanted to share some good news because I tend to be the one sharing bad news.

But it really shouldn't be long before S. Africa knows about hospitalizations in that region that is almost completely Omicron.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    rkrkrk said:
    I'd love this to be true but I think it's far too early to get to that conclusion. We're about to see it burn through unvaccinated Germans and Dutch so fingers crossed.
  • Oh how I have missed the moronic media questions...

They make you despair

My young grandchildren would be more relevant in their questioning

rkrkrk said:
    It would be so on brand for our shower of shite government to finally get its knickers in a covid twist over a largely harmless variant.
    Health's devolved in Scotland and we've been wearing masks forever.
  • Is an Iraqi who saved up for four years while working in Germany to get a place on a boat to the UK an asylum seeking refugee or an economic immigrant?

Oh how I have missed the moronic media questions...

Boris and the Egg Heads - We won't know about things for 2-3 weeks until tests are done.

Media...can you tell us exactly to the minute when restrictions will be eased or raised, you said 3 weeks, but why so long, so say you are waiting too long....others say you are going to hard....

omicron-aimed questions...
  • Masks detail will be set out by Javid tomorrow.
    edited November 2021
    DavidL said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

🤬🤬🤬

My only concern is why what we have heard required the A team out on a Saturday. Its pretty boring to be honest.
    Because this is about Johnson reacting to prior criticisms levelled against him, that he didn't act fast enough. Politics and PR, not science. Again.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    ydoethur said:

Not, of course, that it can be enforced anyway as I've pointed out before. But some precision would be useful.
    Can't announce it outside parliament can he?

Masks detail will be set out by Javid tomorrow.

Is Bozo afraid to say "Compulsory"?

Why wait until tomorrow? Announce it now, enforce from midnight, if that is the policy.
    Masks in shops and on public transport.

Will people pay any attention? Or will the government exemption certificate app crash under the pressure?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2021
    One annoying thing, clearly the Witty and Valance have said we need to start giving boosters sooner than 6 months and get everybody boostered. And the government are going to ask the JCVI to think about this....repeat of August incoming....drag feet, drag feet, make loads of appearances on the media moaning about why aren't we vaccinating the world...drag feet, drag feet...announce a fudge.

The government should just say, go go go from Monday...
  • Media desperate for a new round of restrictions.

• DavidL said:

They seem to be holding back the 4pm update for Boris. But in the last 7 days cases are up 10%, admissions down 10.5% and deaths down 15.5%. I am currently not seeing any reason for panic.

And the rising cases are STILL in the kids...
    Numbers are out:

Down week on week after yesterday's blip.
    Using the reporting day data, it look as if cases a flat(ish) at the moment.
    "We're going to explode? I don't wanna explode!"
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620
    Cases by specimen date

philiph said:

ydoethur said:

If it's being announced tomorrow it won't be to Parliament!
    Cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Media desperate for a new round of restrictions.

but only after they have had their ski holidays.
    Local R

• Oh how I have missed the moronic media questions...

They make you despair

My young grandchildren would be more relevant in their questioning
    "Has Peppa pig being given the booster yet?"
    Case summary

• Is an Iraqi who saved up for four years while working in Germany to get a place on a boat to the UK an asylum seeking refugee or an economic immigrant?

Real refugee: "I NEED to get to the nearest safe country PDQ!"
    Non-refugee: "I WANT to get to the UK by any means!"

Media desperate for a new round of restrictions.

They're perfectly at liberty to lock themselves down, along with iSage, Sage, the Department for Education and the local Health and Safety officers.

Or indeed,take a trip on Gogalfrincham Ark B.
    Hospitals

Deaths

Surely the Daily Express should be asking what Princess Di would have thought about this?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

🤬🤬🤬

Bozza hasn't said so, but from what he implied Saj is going to tell you tomorrow to WEAR YOUR MASK!

Johnson doesn't do bad news.

Quality of questions is utterly dire
  • ydoethur said:

They're perfectly at liberty to lock themselves down, along with iSage, Sage, the Department for Education and the local Health and Safety officers.

Or indeed,take a trip on Gogalfrincham Ark B.
    The restrictions are always for the little people, not them, they have important things to be doing.
    Age related data

One annoying thing, clearly the Witty and Valance have said we need to start giving boosters sooner than 6 months and get everybody boostered. And the government are going to ask the JCVI to think about this....repeat of August incoming....drag feet, drag feet, make loads of appearances on the media moaning about why aren't we vaccinating the world...drag feet, drag feet...announce a fudge.

The government should just say, go go go from Monday...

Yes, the JCVI had its place when vaccines were limited in availability, now they aren't, the government doesn't need that extra layer of bureaucracy. Ideally Javid lays down the law tonight and 18+ boosters with a 4.5 month gap are introduced, I think it makes an additional 10m eligible overnight.
  • Whitty says the discovery of omicron "really changes the risk-benefit calculations" over booster vaccines for the under-40s. JCVI will come back with its conclusions "rapidly", he adds.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1464647034242228234?s=20

Just bloody get on with it....
    Sky's on-screen caption claims that the PM said masks will be mandatory. I didn't hear it.
    COVID summary

- Cases are flattening out, overall. The trend continues of a steady fall in the older groups
    - Hospitalisations are still falling, with a interesting segmentation in the ages - the main fall is in the 65-84 group
    - Deaths are still falling.
  • Sky's on-screen caption claims that the PM said masks will be mandatory. I didn't hear it.

That's not quite what he said, he said tightening of the rules.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited November 2021
    philiph said:

ydoethur said:

I agree with the principle that policy should be told to Parliament first. However, I think the Speaker needs to get off his high horse if he thinks that there are no exceptions. Urgent public health advice shouldn't have to wait for a day when Parliament sits.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2021
    Some very good news!
    This useless embarrassment of a Prime Minister is losing popularity at a speed that would make Jimmy Saville blush.

Sir Keir Starmer's qualities are finally showing themselves.

A little more media training and he should start moving ahead

(Could someone off stage tell Johnson that this is not intended as a political broadcast for himself. It really doesn't sound good)
  • Sky's on-screen caption claims that the PM said masks will be mandatory. I didn't hear it.

In shops and transport. Mumbled it as hates giving bad news.

Sky's on-screen caption claims that the PM said masks will be mandatory. I didn't hear it.

He did suggest that they should be used on public transport and in public buildings but he ducked the question of whether this is a recommendation or a legal requirement.

Whitty says the discovery of omicron "really changes the risk-benefit calculations" over booster vaccines for the under-40s. JCVI will come back with its conclusions "rapidly", he adds.

Indeed, I'd love to get my booster before Xmas. My wife wants to get her one done too.

Yes he said that. We will need to wait for the detail which Sajid will announce in due course.

Certainly shops and public transport. Maybe moving around in pubs, not sure, let's see what Sajid says.
    The Sun: "Christmas!!!!"

Whitty says the discovery of omicron "really changes the risk-benefit calculations" over booster vaccines for the under-40s. JCVI will come back with its conclusions "rapidly", he adds.

In fairness those in high risk groups, such as those with diabetes, have had their boosters already. But yes, the more the merrier.
  • It will be a real struggle to get people to wear masks again because Covid is a clear and present danger having told them that they don't need them because Covid is over.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    On the question, I think the issue is this. Labour can get so far by two factors:

Boris being much less adept at prime ministerial strategy than even his critics expected. The one thing you would expect really is an absence of utterly lazy unforced errors, and this element has been startling.

Secondly, Labour has made few unforced errors so far, by doing a bit to detoxify, getting not much press attention, and having no policies of the sort you can dissect and destroy.

At some point SKS has a critical decision to make; does he risk winning (ie obtaining a Lab led alliance of some sort) by relying on those two factors;
    or does he risk winning (ie getting an alliance of some sort) by having a programme for which enough people would affirmatively vote - one which is bound to be open to dissection but would appear to be needed in order to get beyond a certain point.

The Tories are putting no effort into attacking Labour ATM, but are saving material for later. My view is that Labour need an identifiable programme to resist the onslaught to come. But it is a risk, especially when we are already maxed out on tax, spend and debt.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Looking forward to the prospect of quieter buses for a bit.
  • Roger said:

Some very good news!
    This useless embarrassment of a Prime Minister is losing popularity at a speed that would make Jimmy Saville blush and Sir Keir Starmer's qualities are finally showing themselves.

A little more media training and he should go roaring ahead

(Could someone off stage tell Johnson that this is not intended as a political broadcast for himself. It really doesn't sound good)

As much as you protest he is Prime Minister and is right to address the nation

• IshmaelZ said:

Oh how I have missed the moronic media questions...

Boris and the Egg Heads - We won't know about things for 2-3 weeks until tests are done.

Media...can you tell us exactly to the minute when restrictions will be eased or raised, you said 3 weeks, but why so long, so say you are waiting too long....others say you are going to hard....

omicron-aimed questions...
    3 weeks time: we have determined that Omicron spreads like measles but is no worse than a cold. Snog a Saffer under the mistletoe.
    Only two people in the room wearing masks...

That's not quite what he said, he said tightening of the rules.
    He can't even fucking announce critical stuff, what a tool https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1464646583862149121
    jonny83 said:

Looking forward to the prospect of quieter buses for a bit.

Due to muffled voices behind the masks?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2021
    "The amateur scientists among us said we will definitely have this variant already" says idiot journalist before asking well what will the exact state of play be at Christmas.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

It will be a real struggle to get people to wear masks again because Covid is a clear and present danger having told them that they don't need them because Covid is over.

Who told them Covid is over? Having no restrictions is not the same as saying it’s over.
    I agree that it will be a struggle though. I’ve never stopped wearing masks in shops, so no bother for me, but a lot have.
  • MaxPB said:

Indeed, I'd love to get my booster before Xmas. My wife wants to get her one done too.
    I sharp elbowed to get my early.

It will be a real struggle to get people to wear masks again because Covid is a clear and present danger having told them that they don't need them because Covid is over.

Who told them Covid is over? Having no restrictions is not the same as saying it’s over.
    I agree that it will be a struggle though. I’ve never stopped wearing masks in shops, so no bother for me, but a lot have.
    I actually can't remember the last time I saw somebody wearing a mask in the shops round here.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

There are an awful lot of wankers trying to hype this up for clickbait.

The stupid masks are very annoying, but at least the fact that all they've bothered to do is bring them back for shops, trains and buses (we've not even gone so far as WFH at this stage) indicates that this is a token measure. Personally, I'll put up with the masks grudgingly, but if the review in three weeks results in pleas not to go anywhere near our families, or attempts to resurrect the Rule of Six (or anything approximating to it,) then they can fuck right off.

It would also be nice if they'd not simultaneously plead with us to book booster jabs and insist we wait over a month (Christmas is now in the way for all new appointments) between doing so and getting them.
  • I've got two gigs coming up. Next Thursday in Manchester, then Saturday week after that in that London. Both already have a "show us yer vax or no admittance" policy. Wonder if by the time we get anywhere near that the whole thing is shitcanned.
    One of the two masks not being worn correctly, doesn't cover the nose.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

In shops and transport. Mumbled it as hates giving bad news.
    Bad news bear Saj is going to tell us later. Bozza is being quite Tiggerish, a contrast to the Dreary Brothers either side of him.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    MaxPB said:

Managed to get my booster today (AZ,AZ,Pfizer) as wanted to be fully tooled up ahead of December party season!

Aching a bit this afternoon but the mother of all headaches has attacked now…..
  • ydoethur said:

Did Whitty just whack all the journalists in the room for misquoting him and scaremongering?

If so, he goes up in my estimation.

By now, if I was Witty I think I might have ended up running of the platform and nutting them.
This discussion has been closed.