Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Geoffrey Cox won’t resign, and Boris Johnson won’t make him – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

He really is a scruffy twunt isn't he.

When you have to pay your respects to the war dead at 11 but have to get blind drunk under a flyover bridge at 12 https://twitter.com/youwouldknow/status/1459525716735897601/photo/1

A while back somebody (who would know) that the reason Boris Johnson wears ill fitting suits is that he cannot afford to buy new ones.

I dismissed that as a joke but now....
    You can fix your collar for no cost though.

I don't particularly worry that Boris should be so ill-turned-out. However the visual image is starting to match the performance. That's going to be deadly.
    Come back Michael Foot all is forgiven.
  • Options
    Highly topical review of a sci-fi show from over 40 years ago:
    https://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.com/2021/11/review-series-1-of-blakes-7.html
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

When you have to pay your respects to the war dead at 11 but have to get blind drunk under a flyover bridge at 12 https://twitter.com/youwouldknow/status/1459525716735897601/photo/1

Time for all Patriots to ask themselves a question. How can the fate of such a land be in the palm of this bloke's hands?
    Because when the alternatives where Corbyn, Hunt and May then he was the best option by far.
    I disagree, obviously, but let's keep the focus on the present. Is there a point to him now? Not sure there is.
    He could be good. However so far he's been pretty abysmal.

He seems oddly to be following Churchill's path who was a sartorial shambles.

There are certainly better PMs on the Tory benches than the current Boris performance.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827

DavidL said:

It's a bloody stupid rule when you are talking about a video call. If they used a Zoom background which looked exactly like their office whilst parked in a MacDonald's across the road that would have been ok. Bloody stupid rules lead to bloody stupid MPs of which we already have a surfeit.

I also think it's a very minor issue and most people outside the Commons won't care. But it's not totally stupid. We pay for the offices and expect them to be used for public purposes. If it becomes common practice to use them for all sorts of other activities, it's a slippery slope. Where it's a one-off, I agree it's really not worth worrying about - comes under the same heading as using an office pen to write a shopping list.
    "Former Lab MP CONFESSES to shocking corruption of using office equipment for person use" raves the Daily Express.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    Afternoon all :)

Ah, "sleaze", the gift that keeps on giving, apparently?

It seems supporters of the Government are now frantically trumpeting the slightest indiscretion or minor breach of the rules by non-Conservative MPs playing the "they're all at it" argument.

That's missing the fundamental point.

The current political crisis is nothing to do with "sleaze" - what Owen Paterson did was bad but it wasn't a hanging offence. A 30-day suspension would have been politically embarrassing but that would probably have been the end of it - I suspect the chances of a successful recall petition would have been very low assuming a little contrition on Mr Paterson's part.

Instead, it seems a combination of a sense of injustice and friends in the right places enabled Mr Paterson's supporters to successfully lobby the Prime Minister into ordering MPs to overrule the decision of the Standards Committee. However you dress that up and it's up there with lipstick on a pig, it looked terrible.

As John Major so correctly said it smacked of the hubris of a large majority and a sense of being untouchable or unreachable. Courageously, some Conservative MPs refused to be whipped into supporting this asinine notion but too many gave in and it conveyed to the public the sense of a Government and Prime Minister looking as though it could bend or break the rules to favour their friends on the basis, given its parliamentary majority, there would be nothing anyone could do about it.

I've often said on here the test of Boris Johnson as Prime Minister wouldn't be Brexit or even Coronavirus but the day-to-day business of Government. As the virus eases its grip on both public consciousness and the body politic and normal service returns, we can see how the Government is performing and once again it's not the big things that cause problems but the small things which are allowed to become big things.

Boris Johnson's hubris has turned what was at worst a little local difficulty into a serious problem for his party. None of this means he can't or won't win the next GE but confidence has been lost and after nearly a dozen years of leading the Government, people may just be starting to ask whether the Conservatives have had their time and whether it's time for a change or at the very least there may be a more profound sense that "good old Boris" is just as bad as all the others.
  • Options

That is topical, I picked up the DVD set about 2 weeks ago to watch for the first time, cheers. I think effects being 'charmingly ropey' is a euphemism for 'crap' anyone watching British sci-fi is aware of.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,239
    Scott_xP said:

A while back somebody (who would know) that the reason Boris Johnson wears ill fitting suits is that he cannot afford to buy new ones.

Nope.

BoZo the clown wears crumpled suits.

It's as much part of the costume as Chaplin's trousers
    Johnson wears his suits as he does, deliberately. If you see Benny Hill as Fred Scuttle, Hill wore his jacket like Johnson, and Hill's "Scuttle" salute was identical to Johnson's.

Neither Hill nor Johnson were my cup of tea, but Hill was supremely popular with the hoi polloi, as was Johnson.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

That is topical, I picked up the DVD set about 2 weeks ago to watch for the first time, cheers. I think effects being 'charmingly ropey' is a euphemism for 'crap' anyone watching British sci-fi is aware of.
    Around the time when the new Doctor Who was announced I rewatched lots of the old episodes and it was blimey, I didn't realise the effects were that bad?

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Nope.

Johnson wears his suits as he does, deliberately. If you see Benny Hill as Fred Scuttle, Hill wore his jacket like Johnson, and Hill's "Scuttle" salute was identical to Johnson's.

Neither Hill nor Johnson were my cup of tea, but Hill was supremely popular with the hoi polloi, as was Johnson.
    Almost a good comparison, but Johnson can be quite sleazy with women.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,459
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    UK Case Summary

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Time for all Patriots to ask themselves a question. How can the fate of such a land be in the palm of this bloke's hands?
    Someone been listening to "Hurricane" by chance? For a sense of pure outrage in a song possibly only ever matched by the Lonesome death of Hattie Carroll.
    Yes, great song. But no, haven't had it on recently, it's more that I'm reading Chronicles. Trying to get the (paper page) reading habit back and decided that's a good one to kick off with. It's been on the shelf unopened for years.

To see us obviously maimed
    Turned into basket case when one time we could have been
    ... a member of the Euuuuurowww :smile:
  • Options
    UK Hospitals

• Options

kle4 said:

Around the time when the new Doctor Who was announced I rewatched lots of the old episodes and it was blimey, I didn't realise the effects were that bad?

In the very early years (Troughton era) given the budget and tech it was really rather good. The Pertwee era was ok, but nothing thereafter.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Recently rewatched all of Blake’s 7, for the first time since original broadcast. Stories excellent, but the sets and effects just emphasise how far we’ve come. Often been talks of a reboot, bu5 nothing so far. I’d be keen.
  • Options
    UK Deaths

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

Recently rewatched all of Blake’s 7, for the first time since original broadcast. Stories excellent, but the sets and effects just emphasise how far we’ve come. Often been talks of a reboot, bu5 nothing so far. I’d be keen.

It was pretty ordinary when it pretended to be a sci fi series but as it evolved into burlesque, from Avon in particular, it became unmissable and hilarious. It was one of those shows that if you were not able to quote it the next day at school you were not a part of the conversation. There weren't many, the rise and fall of Reggie Perrin being another that immediately comes to mind.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited November 2021
    I expect a series of terrible polls for Boris and HMG and even two lost by elections , though Bexley would be sad because James Brokenshaw was a real good guy and the opposite of the sleaze we are seeing

My wife has just mentioned it is Christmas Day 6 weeks today, so I expect Boris to limp on, maybe serve A16 but it will be the early part of 22 that is likely to be the most difficult and dangerous time for him
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It was pretty ordinary when it pretended to be a sci fi series but as it evolved into burlesque, from Avon in particular, it became unmissable and hilarious. It was one of those shows that if you were not able to quote it the next day at school you were not a part of the conversation. There weren't many, the rise and fall of Reggie Perrin being another that immediately comes to mind.
    I used to love that mega-intelligent computer they had that appeared to be a transparent Perspex cube with flashing Christmas lights inside it.
  • Options
    One thing that hasn’t been mentioned as a driver of poor polls for the government is the current high price of petrol.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

You can fix your collar for no cost though.

I don't particularly worry that Boris should be so ill-turned-out. However the visual image is starting to match the performance. That's going to be deadly.
    Come back Michael Foot all is forgiven.
    I wonder what DC's mum makes of Johnson's look.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Someone been listening to "Hurricane" by chance? For a sense of pure outrage in a song possibly only ever matched by the Lonesome death of Hattie Carroll.
    Yes, great song. But no, haven't had it on recently, it's more that I'm reading Chronicles. Trying to get the (paper page) reading habit back and decided that's a good one to kick off with. It's been on the shelf unopened for years.

I haven't read that in decades.
    "“The worth of things can't be measured by what they cost but by what the cost you to get it, that if anything costs you your faith or your family, then the price is too high, and that there are some things that will never wear out.”

A principle to live your life by in a sentence.
  • Options
    As an aside to the politics of the virus and while noting the immediacy of the Bulgarian presidential and legislative elections tomorrow, some interesting polling coming out of Austria.

They're a long way from their next election but changes from the last election as follows;

Social Democrats: 25% (+4)
    People's Party: 24% (-13)
    Freedom Party: 18% (+2)
    Greens: 13% (-1)
    Liberal Forum: 11% (+3)
    People, Freedom, Fundamental Rights: 6% (+6)

Was it so long ago Sebastian Kurz dominated Austrian politics? Not only a salient lesson nothing lasts forever but also the most powerful can fall.

I can't remember the last time the Social Democrats led a poll in Austria but the new group MFG - Menschen, Freiheit, Grundrechte has emerged on the scene. They are an anti-lockdown vaccine sceptic group strongly opposed to vaccine passports and renewed restrictions and have gained support in rural Upper Austria where in the September Landtag elections, they won 3 seats taking a big chunk of the Freedom Party vote.
  • Options

I expect a series of terrible polls for Boris and HMG and even two lost by elections , though Bexley would be sad because James Brokenshaw was a real good guy and the opposite of the sleaze we are seeing

My wife has just mentioned it is Christmas Day 6 weeks today, so I expect Boris to limp on, maybe serve A16 but it will be the early part of 22 that is likely to be the most difficult and dangerous time for him

Cheer up Big G.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,670
    ydoethur said:

They've handed Verstappen the title.

The stewards are Tw@s

Because? He inserted his hand all the way up Hamilton's slot and the stewards took a dim view and fined him for it. What did you want them to do instead?
    He wanted him disqualified as well, because unless Verstappen has a DNF Hamilton pretty much can't win the title now.

But the stewards took the view it was a technical infringement, while Mercedes were blatantly cheating.
    The rear wing thing is literally a technical infringement.
    And the stewards were explicit in their ruling that there was no intent to cheat.

Given the detail, it’s also unlikely the car got any benefit in terms of speed, but that’s not a factor for the ruling.
  • Options
    Private polling klaxon.

By Friday night one opinion poll, by Savanta ComRes, gave Labour a six-point lead, their biggest under Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership and a number that will give Tory MPs a fit of the vapours. It echoes private election modelling by some Conservative pollsters, which shows that if there was an election tomorrow, Johnson’s current working majority of 77 would shrink to between 15 and 20.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/will-boris-johnson-get-away-with-sleaze-scandal-7qdqvwpwf
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned as a driver of poor polls for the government is the current high price of petrol.

There is something of a painful irony that it went down to 99p a litre 18 months ago and nobody was driving anywhere, and now we're free to go where we like it's at record highs.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

There is something of a painful irony that it went down to 99p a litre 18 months ago and nobody was driving anywhere, and now we're free to go where we like it's at record highs.
    Isn’t that just supply and demand?
  • Options
    I posted this last week and interesting that someone has said similar to the Sunday Times.

No 10 is widely seen as chaotic and dysfunctional with factions developing around Carrie Johnson, the prime minister’s wife, and Dan Rosenfield, the chief of staff. Two insiders used the same phrase last week: “It’s much worse in there than you think.”
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not a huge Blakes7 fan in all honesty - I'm not sure the stories went anywhere but of course who can forget the late Jacqueline Pearce as Servalan (or was that server-lan as in local area network?).

OTOH, Perrin for me rivalled Python as the comedic event of the 70s - the first series of Reggie was classic comedy - a brutal satire on middle-class suburban life at the time. To be fair, Reggie would be working at home now and somehow CJ wouldn't seem quite as intimidating on Zoom (or would he?).

• Options
    Omnium said:

Cheer up Big G.
    Actually I am very content with my lovely family about to celebrate my wife's 82nd birthday and really am grateful for how fortunate we both are compared to many others

Boris is not my choice and hopefully he will be replaced, but in the end sometimes it is nice to step away from the keyboard and appreciate the world around us
  • Options
    The cabinet will hope it is better thought out than recent interventions. Another who knows Johnson well said: “The vaccine rollout was actually the anomaly of Boris’s tenure. He continually makes the same mistakes again and again. If Labour can start putting one foot in front of the other we will be in trouble. There will be many more weeks like the last one.”
  • Options
    Mr. Tubbs, given what the BBC's doing to Doctor Who I'm not sure a reboot would be good, unless there's a dramatic change in quality.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2021

...and don't forget bad hair day shocking dress sense and running a corrupt government....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

I posted this last week and interesting that someone has said similar to the Sunday Times.

No 10 is widely seen as chaotic and dysfunctional with factions developing around Carrie Johnson, the prime minister’s wife, and Dan Rosenfield, the chief of staff. Two insiders used the same phrase last week: “It’s much worse in there than you think.”

And yet, when Cummings and that other bloke departed, the narrative was how much better things were at Number 10.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes, but the irony is still painful.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

Mr. Tubbs, given what the BBC's doing to Doctor Who I'm not sure a reboot would be good, unless there's a dramatic change in quality.

I’m waiting Chibnall out tbh. Last few years could do with the Bobby shower scene treatment.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

And yet, when Cummings and that other bloke departed, the narrative was how much better things were at Number 10.
    New manager bounce.
  • Options

Private polling klaxon.

By Friday night one opinion poll, by Savanta ComRes, gave Labour a six-point lead, their biggest under Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership and a number that will give Tory MPs a fit of the vapours. It echoes private election modelling by some Conservative pollsters, which shows that if there was an election tomorrow, Johnson’s current working majority of 77 would shrink to between 15 and 20.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/will-boris-johnson-get-away-with-sleaze-scandal-7qdqvwpwf

A 6% Labour lead clearly should lead to them having most seats. It will too if that happens, no need forthe models.

I have to confess I'm uncomfortable with this bias against Labour. (Very bad mitigating factors mind you)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    edited November 2021
    stodge said:

OTOH, Perrin for me rivalled Python as the comedic event of the 70s - the first series of Reggie was classic comedy - a brutal satire on middle-class suburban life at the time. To be fair, Reggie would be working at home now and somehow CJ wouldn't seem quite as intimidating on Zoom (or would he?).

"You've got the Orange Book on display! I didn't get where I am today by having the Orange Book on display during a Zoom meeting.
  • Options

I’m waiting Chibnall out tbh. Last few years could do with the Bobby shower scene treatment.
    RTD will work his magic.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I've just spotted reports that the Government is rumoured to be ready to cut the limit for vaccination, not just booking, of Covid boosters for all vulnerable people (i.e. the old cohorts 1-9) from six to five months, against JCVI advice. That, presumably, will also set a precedent for them to go ahead with jabs for 5-11 year olds in the relatively near future, rather than waiting about nine months for evidence to be gathered.

Helpful if true. I'm hoping (and it is only a hope, not an expectation, based on one's experiences of shambolic NHS record keeping) that this may mean I become eligible for a third shot later this month. I should be down as a member of cohort 6, based on living with an extremely vulnerable person, but whether this actually turns out to be the case, who can say?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Private polling klaxon.

A 6% Labour lead clearly should lead to them having most seats. It will too if that happens, no need forthe models.

I have to confess I'm uncomfortable with this bias against Labour. (Very bad mitigating factors mind you)
    It is an artefact of FPTP with these swings and roundabouts.

In 2005 Labour finished 2.8% ahead of the Tories and ended up with a majority of 66.

In 2010 the Tories finished 7.1% of Labour and just fell short of a majority.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,299
    Scott_xP said:

Nope.

It’s more a part of his self-image as someone who feels no need to conform to the standards of others. Which, sometimes, is perhaps an asset on the campaign trail, but at other times, most of the time, not so much….
  • Options

Chris Christie wants to be very clear about something: The election of 2020 was not stolen.

“An election for president was held on November 3, 2020. Joe Biden won. Donald Trump did not,” Mr. Christie writes in his new book, “Republican Rescue: Saving the Party From Truth Deniers, Conspiracy Theorists, and the Dangerous Policies of Joe Biden.”

NY Times

Big Boy is really covering the waterfront . . . with blubber.

BTW, the aide who was convicted of doing Chris Christie's dirty work re: Bridge-gate, but subsequently un-convicted by appeals court, Bridget Kelly, lost the 2021 general election, as Republican nominee for county clerk in Bergen Co.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I've just spotted reports that the Government is rumoured to be ready to cut the limit for vaccination, not just booking, of Covid boosters for all vulnerable people (i.e. the old cohorts 1-9) from six to five months, against JCVI advice. That, presumably, will also set a precedent for them to go ahead with jabs for 5-11 year olds in the relatively near future, rather than waiting about nine months for evidence to be gathered.

Helpful if true. I'm hoping (and it is only a hope, not an expectation, based on one's experiences of shambolic NHS record keeping) that this may mean I become eligible for a third shot later this month. I should be down as a member of cohort 6, based on living with an extremely vulnerable person, but whether this actually turns out to be the case, who can say?

I doubt I'm alone in crossing the road to avoid children.
  • Options
    Mr. Tubbs, indeed.

Mr. Eagles, apparently RTD won't retcon the nonsense. We shall see.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I was £94 for a full tank of diesel (I know, I know) the other day. How long before I get to that psychological hurdle of £100?
  • Options

Omnium said:

Private polling klaxon.

In 2005 Labour finished 2.8% ahead of the Tories and ended up with a majority of 66.

I know. It's easy to have votes in the wrong places. However big swings tend to recrystalise areas that we all assume are set in stone.

A substantial vote lead for Labour will have them with most seats.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

My father has just had his booster.

He says there was a long wait as some silly sod had told everyone that the vaccination centre in Bream was open for walkins. So there was a fair amount of chaos to be sorted out first.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oil price per barrel still around $80 vs double that at its absolute 21st century peak last time petrol cost this much. So there could still be a long way to go!
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,963

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I suspect its more that his weight yo-yos quite a bit and he is somewhat on the chubbier side at the moment. Of course, from personal experience, the first thing you stop doing in such a scenario is button up your jacket.
    Can relate.

I bet Boris Johnson only buys one pair of trousers when he buys a suit.

He seems that disorganised.
    As any stylish man about town knows, you should always buy two pairs of trousers and two jackets when you buy a suit….
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I suspect its more that his weight yo-yos quite a bit and he is somewhat on the chubbier side at the moment. Of course, from personal experience, the first thing you stop doing in such a scenario is button up your jacket.
    Can relate.

Looks more like he mugged a slightly slimmer tramp and nicked it.
    Possibly charmed the pants off him as well as they were somewhat cleaner.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I was £94 for a full tank of diesel (I know, I know) the other day. How long before I get to that psychological hurdle of £100?
    Isn't that quite a lot? How big is your tank? (As the actress said to the General)
  • Options
    edited November 2021

DavidL said:

I used to love that mega-intelligent computer they had that appeared to be a transparent Perspex cube with flashing Christmas lights inside it.
    Yes, it was low budget, but even though it was pitched at late teenagers, the characters were more complex than the usual goodie-baddie meme of Star Trek or Dr Who, and although some of the episodes were bizarre, others were thought provoking and touched on some big moral issues. I’ve watched the series several times again as an adult, and provided you can overlook the sets that were either made on Blue Peter or appeared to be a gravel pit somewhere near Croydon, and the pitiful budget, it does stand the test of time.
  • Options
    boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

As any stylish man about town knows, you should always buy two pairs of trousers and two jackets when you buy a suit….
    Indeed.
  • Options
    boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

I think that counts as two suits. I always buy two pairs of trousers though.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Private polling klaxon.

Indeed. What people continually forget is that under FPTP there is no national election. Countrywide tallies and percentages are of interest but do not drive the result in what a general election is - 650 simultaneous local and completely separate elections.
  • Options
    boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

lol. That’s just buying two suits. You buy two pairs of trousers for all the time you spend sitting down wearing it, and minimal time lying down.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    edited November 2021
    Bellingham Herald - [Washington] State lawmaker ill with COVID-19 in El Salvador

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/article255778496.html

BELLINGHAM, WASH. State Sen. Doug Ericksen of Ferndale is sickened with COVID-19 in El Salvador and is unable to receive antibody drugs to treat it.

Ericksen, a Republican who represents the 42nd District in Whatcom County, has reached out to legislative colleagues for advice on how to receive monoclonal antibodies, which are unavailable in that Latin American nation, his spokesman Erik Smith told The Bellingham Herald on Friday.

In a message to members of the state House and Senate, Ericksen said he took a trip to El Salvador and tested positive for COVID-19 shortly after he arrived.

Smith said members of the senator’s staff have been unable to reach Ericksen directly. “We have been unable to get ahold of Sen. Ericksen but we believe (the message) to be true,” Smith said.

In his message to legislators, Ericksen said his condition was “to the point that I feel it would be beneficial for me to receive an IV or monoclonal antibodies (Regeneron). I have a doctor here who can administer the IV, but the product is not available here.” Former President Donald Trump was given Regeneron, which has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms, when he contracted the disease last year.

Ericksen missed more votes than any other state lawmaker during this year's legislative session, with some of his absences from legislative action happening while he was observing elections in El Salvador. At the time Ericksen said that trip was separate from consulting and lobbying work he does for the country of Cambodia. He registered as a foreign agent for his work for Cambodia in 2019, and the company he launched with former state Rep. Jay Rodne once had a $500,000 contract with the country’s government.

Reasons for his current visit weren’t clear.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says people should be fully vaccinated before visiting El Salvador where the current levels of COVID-19 are “high.”

Smith said he wasn't sure if Ericksen has been vaccinated.

Ericksen has been vocal in his opposition to Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee's requirement that thousands of workers in Washington prove they’ve been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or seek exemptions in order to keep their jobs and has called for Inslee's resignation.

Ericksen’s 42nd District colleagues, state Rep. Alicia Rule, D-Blaine, and state Rep. Sharon Shewmake, D-Bellingham, expressed their concern in text messages to the newspaper.

“COVID-19 is not something you want anyone to get and I hope he makes a full recovery,” Shewmake said.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Isn't that quite a lot? How big is your tank? (As the actress said to the General)
    About 65 litres. And yes, its a hell of a lot.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

ydoethur said:

Oil price per barrel still around $80 vs double that at its absolute 21st century peak last time petrol cost this much. So there could still be a long way to go!
    We might see a renewed craze from bosses for homeworking if oil and gas prices double from this level.
  • Options
    Good to see someone keeping up the stereotype of judges being clueless about the details of modern life.

I don't quite follow his position that, having decided just at that moment following an objection and discussion, the prosecution could not pinch zoom the image without expert testimony, that he would not give time for them to find one - surely if a ruling is made without notice like that the lawyers should be able to respond to address the concern?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Its not irony though.

If you think that's irony then you are Alanis Morissette and I claim 5L of Unleaded.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

pigeon said:

I heard an interesting rumour concerning JCVI. Which suggests the days of the committee may be numbered in its current form.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

lol. That’s just buying two suits. You buy two pairs of trousers for all the time you spend sitting down wearing it, and minimal time lying down.
    That was a joke……. Of course you have two pairs of trousers made (sometimes more if you want belt loops sometimes, braces another or side adjusters depending on the look you are after that day) and can always get a slightly larger pair made for the Christmas client entertaining season just in case the other shrink……

However there is a logic in having identical jackets - we used to call it the “Italian jacket” (for some unknown reason) where you could leave your reserve suit jacket on your desk chair and bugger off out and people think you are somewhere around the office….
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Its not irony though.

If you think that's irony then you are Alanis Morissette and I claim 5L of Unleaded.
    Please don't, you'd bankrupt me at present prices.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Omnium said:

pigeon said:

I heard an interesting rumour concerning JCVI. Which suggests the days of the committee may be numbered in its current form.
    New Chair, Owen Paterson? He's in need of a job.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,931

Omnium said:

pigeon said:

HART have some people on the inside ?
  • Options
    boulay said:

IanB2 said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

That was a joke……. Of course you have two pairs of trousers made (sometimes more if you want belt loops sometimes, braces another or side adjusters depending on the look you are after that day) and can always get a slightly larger pair made for the Christmas client entertaining season just in case the other shrink……

However there is a logic in having identical jackets - we used to call it the “Italian jacket” (for some unknown reason) where you could leave your reserve suit jacket on your desk chair and bugger off out and people think you are somewhere around the office….
    Suspect we have more than one PBer who habitually WEARS two (or more) pairs of (long) pants at the same time . . .
  • Options

Omnium said:

pigeon said:

Good.

The way they handled booster jabs and children's shots was disgraceful.

Once the over 50s have had their booster vaccines, then there should be nothing standing in the way of every other adult getting their booster too.
  • Options
    boulay said:

IanB2 said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

It did occur to me that it might be a joke, but it didn’t seem very funny.

The Italian thing is a comment on the habits of the unsackable statali
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Omnium said:

pigeon said:

Professor Adam Finn?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,804
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

I am late to this and I apologise if this has already been done to death down thread but this story in my view shows how stupid things have got: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59275207

Layla Moran and Crispin Blunt are being condemned because they used their office to conduct a virtual conference call for which they got fees. I mean, this is completely nuts. Who the hell cares where they were? We are all working remotely now. This isn't using the rooms and facilities of Portcullis House. Its a call. They may as well have been in the Caribbean sharing a villa with Geoffrey for all the difference that it made.

We really need to get a grip before the last sane MP quits in disgust (I appreciate that there is an assumption in that statement which may or may not be warranted).

It should be noted that Moran has said her actions were wrong and has apologised, and Blunt has done similar. So are you ok reconciling your defence of these MPs with an explicit acknowledgement of wrongdoing from them.
    Note that this doesn't say that the wrongdoing is particularly serious, but it is a well-established rule about the use of parliamentary resources for non-parliamentary business. I don't see anything wrong with these MPs being rapped on the knuckles.
    It's a bloody stupid rule when you are talking about a video call. If they used a Zoom background which looked exactly like their office whilst parked in a MacDonald's across the road that would have been ok. Bloody stupid rules lead to bloody stupid MPs of which we already have a surfeit.
    I don't agree. It's using Parliamentary equipment and Parliamentary offices. Civil servants would be sacked for that alone, never mind the money.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Omnium said:

pigeon said:

If so, they've take a lung time to reveal it.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

I needed a nice suit to go to Germany with last month. Lets just say that a combination of my increased belly size and mega shortages of suits coming it over from the far east meant that buying 1 jacket and trousers (and waistcoat of course) was challenging enough, never mind two.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

"“The worth of things can't be measured by what they cost but by what the cost you to get it, that if anything costs you your faith or your family, then the price is too high, and that there are some things that will never wear out.”

Yes. And I'm liking it so far. Doesn't disappoint at all. You'd expect lots of striking prose and sideways perception and you get it.

It's impossible, and whatever you kick back with I'll agree with, but gun to head and desert island bla bla, and without overthinking it, my fav 10 Dylan songs are in no particular order -

Positively 4th Street
    Subterranean HSB
    Blind Willie McTell
    It's All Over Now BB
    Knocking on Heavens
    Hard Rain
    Simple Twist
    Forever Young
    Hurricane
    God On Our Side
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

It did occur to me that it might be a joke, but it didn’t seem very funny.

The Italian thing is a comment on the habits of the unsackable statali
    It wasn’t that funny I will admit. I shall tailor my jokes better to suit the humour more carefully.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

We might see a renewed craze from bosses for homeworking if oil and gas prices double from this level.
    Pump prices won't double - the barrel price isn't remotely the whole price. But if crude soars into three figures we could add another 20-30p per litre on...
  • Options
    Dirty Australians, they are the Max Verstappens of rugby.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

My father has just had his booster.

He says there was a long wait as some silly sod had told everyone that the vaccination centre in Bream was open for walkins. So there was a fair amount of chaos to be sorted out first.
    Now a week since my booster. Have to say the operation at my GP's was superb. Slicker than a slick thing covered in oil. There are parts of the NHS that still function very well.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,047
    kle4 said:

Good to see someone keeping up the stereotype of judges being clueless about the details of modern life.

I don't quite follow his position that, having decided just at that moment following an objection and discussion, the prosecution could not pinch zoom the image without expert testimony, that he would not give time for them to find one - surely if a ruling is made without notice like that the lawyers should be able to respond to address the concern?
    IANAL. I am especially not a US lawyer. But playing devil's advocate:

Depending on the software's algorithms (or, in defence terms, logarithms), interpolation or much more complex upscaling processes could be used to 'alter' the image. It is not adding objects in, as the defence seem to claim, but it may alter the interpretation of what is seen, even if it makes something clearer. Which is why it is done. And probably why the defence are complaining. But as many commentators have said, the TV they were using to display the image might well have been performing some upscaling ...

Now law questions: doesn't prosecution evidence have to be submitted in advance? Is a zoomed video classed as a different exhibit to the primary (unzoomed) one?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

I bought three pairs of trousers with my last suit, on the basis that I have never had to get rid of a suit because the jacket has worn out.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IANAL. I am especially not a US lawyer. But playing devil's advocate:

Depending on the software's algorithms (or, in defence terms, logarithms), interpolation or much more complex upscaling processes could be used to 'alter' the image. It is not adding objects in, as the defence seem to claim, but it may alter the interpretation of what is seen, even if it makes something clearer. Which is why it is done. And probably why the defence are complaining. But as many commentators have said, the TV they were using to display the image might well have been performing some upscaling ...

Now law questions: doesn't prosecution evidence have to be submitted in advance? Is a zoomed video classed as a different exhibit to the primary (unzoomed) one?
    I get how to make an argument to disallow it, even if on the face of it the argument may or may not be sound, but I don't get how it can be ruled on the spot they cannot without an expert, without giving them a chance to find one given they were not told they needed one until that moment.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    boulay said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Can relate.

Yep. And that allows you to do something very clever. You can rotate the jackets and within that rotation rotate the trousers, thus getting effectively a different suit every day for 4 straight days.

J1 + T1
    J1 + T2
    J2 + T1
    J2 + T2

So people think you're wearing the same suit all the time but you know you're not. You can keep this a secret or tell people, depending on how you feel and what sort of person you are.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

I am late to this and I apologise if this has already been done to death down thread but this story in my view shows how stupid things have got: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59275207

Layla Moran and Crispin Blunt are being condemned because they used their office to conduct a virtual conference call for which they got fees. I mean, this is completely nuts. Who the hell cares where they were? We are all working remotely now. This isn't using the rooms and facilities of Portcullis House. Its a call. They may as well have been in the Caribbean sharing a villa with Geoffrey for all the difference that it made.

We really need to get a grip before the last sane MP quits in disgust (I appreciate that there is an assumption in that statement which may or may not be warranted).

It should be noted that Moran has said her actions were wrong and has apologised, and Blunt has done similar. So are you ok reconciling your defence of these MPs with an explicit acknowledgement of wrongdoing from them.
    Note that this doesn't say that the wrongdoing is particularly serious, but it is a well-established rule about the use of parliamentary resources for non-parliamentary business. I don't see anything wrong with these MPs being rapped on the knuckles.
    I don't agree. It's using Parliamentary equipment and Parliamentary offices. Civil servants would be sacked for that alone, never mind the money.
    In the great State of Washington, such use of public offices & facilities is banned by state law.

Indeed, fact that Seattle City Councilmember Kshama Sawant did use city resources for non-official purposes, is part of the charges against her in next month's special recall election in her council district.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pump prices won't double - the barrel price isn't remotely the whole price. But if crude soars into three figures we could add another 20-30p per litre on...
    Yet you have people in labour saying fuel needs to be taxed more and the recent budget should have seen an increase in duty.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,804
    edited November 2021
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Fuck the stewards.

Verstappen gets a €50,000 fine whilst Hamilton is disqualified.

Racist anti British stewards.

Disqualification is a bit of an odd one, usually they just gird penalty you for stuff.
    I think they felt without it he wouldn't have been as fast.

Of course, sometimes they do let people off for breaking the technical regs. Remember Eddie Irvine and Michael Schumacher at Kuala Lumpar in 2000?

But, there was a legitimate argument that made no difference to the performance. Here, however...

Plus Hamilton already had a penalty.
    Yes, and of course not all breaches of rules reasonably have the same punishment, we don't chop off hands for both theft and littering. On the face of it touching the car is wrong, but it take deliberate contrary action to breach car set up rules - remember I think it was BAR having a tank inside the tank or something, so they could leave fuel in for the weigh in?
    Er...I didn't know we chopped hands off at all in this country.
    Oh yes we do. It happened as recently as 1579. See R v Stubbe (1579) KB 29/215, m.20.

Don't tell me the softies have stopped doing it.

Still sentenced to it in Scotland in the C18 on very rare occasion. But done only as part of a death sentence - chop then hang - in cases of particularly aggravated murder.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. And I'm liking it so far. Doesn't disappoint at all. You'd expect lots of striking prose and sideways perception and you get it.

It's impossible, and whatever you kick back with I'll agree with, but gun to head and desert island bla bla, and without overthinking it, my fav 10 Dylan songs are in no particular order -

Positively 4th Street
    Subterranean HSB
    Blind Willie McTell
    It's All Over Now BB
    Knocking on Heavens
    Hard Rain
    Simple Twist
    Forever Young
    Hurricane
    God On Our Side
    Hurricane
    Blowin in the wind
    Like a Rolling Stone
    Desolation Row
    Mr Tambourine Man
    One of us must know
    Joey
    One more cup of coffee
    Highway 61
    Just like a woman.

I guess I really like Desire and Highway 61 Revisited. The word genius is much overused but certainly applies to Dylan.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Fuck the stewards.

Verstappen gets a €50,000 fine whilst Hamilton is disqualified.

Racist anti British stewards.

Disqualification is a bit of an odd one, usually they just gird penalty you for stuff.
    I think they felt without it he wouldn't have been as fast.

Of course, sometimes they do let people off for breaking the technical regs. Remember Eddie Irvine and Michael Schumacher at Kuala Lumpar in 2000?

But, there was a legitimate argument that made no difference to the performance. Here, however...

Plus Hamilton already had a penalty.
    Yes, and of course not all breaches of rules reasonably have the same punishment, we don't chop off hands for both theft and littering. On the face of it touching the car is wrong, but it take deliberate contrary action to breach car set up rules - remember I think it was BAR having a tank inside the tank or something, so they could leave fuel in for the weigh in?
    Er...I didn't know we chopped hands off at all in this country.
    Oh yes we do. It happened as recently as 1579. See R v Stubbe (1579) KB 29/215, m.20.

Don't tell me the softies have stopped doing it.

Still sentenced to it in Scotland in the C18 on very rare occasion. But done only as part of a death sentence - chop then hang - in cases of particularly aggravated murder.
    It wasn't sufficient. If they wanted a proper punishment, they should have rendered them totally armless before hanging.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Yes, it was low budget, but even though it was pitched at late teenagers, the characters were more complex than the usual goodie-baddie meme of Star Trek or Dr Who, and although some of the episodes were bizarre, others were thought provoking and touched on some big moral issues. I’ve watched the series several times again as an adult, and provided you can overlook the sets that were either made on Blue Peter or appeared to be a gravel pit somewhere near Croydon, and the pitiful budget, it does stand the test of time.
    Having discovered Forces TV on the sky box I am enjoying loads of these old 70s TV shows. Recently it has been Blake's 7, Sapphire and Steel, and UFO. All thoroughly enjoyable if a little bizarre at times.
This discussion has been closed.