Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Now Redfield & Wilton has LAB ahead – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
imageNow Redfield & Wilton has LAB ahead – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• First. Like Labour.

In one poll.

Oh this is too easy.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Second... like this poll in the list of those showing Labour ahead?
  • Broken, sleazy Tories on the slide :lol:

First. Like Labour.

In one poll.

Oh this is too easy.

Two polls now shirley?
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    My official prediction for the next election:
    CON 39
    LAB 36
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited November 2021
    Strange that the Monday 5pm firm did a Thursday poll - but they did, and it’s a headline grabber
  • tomfantomfan Posts: 21
    The next GE is far too far away for this poll to have any relevance to it.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,260
    fpt for RCS

"I think it will be 47-49k."

Deal. I think it will be 52K.

Whoever wins by coming closest, has the altruistic reward of giving a shilling, or the USD equivalent, or any sum in excess, to the next homeless begging person they encounter

I am going to carry a 50p until I get the chance
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    I see this poll was done on 10 November, the day Geoffrey Cox dominated the news. Yet I was reassured by PB Tories that Labour were barking up the wrong tree. It seems not...
    Farooq said:

CON 39
    LAB 36

To achieve this prediction, I've collated the past 90 polls, correlated the results against the new boundaries, factored the demographics, integrated the column inches, regressed the python code, and come up with the answer. And the answer is, taking the two main parties only:

52% - 48%

And you know I'm right.
  • isam said:

Strange that the Monday 5pm firm did a Thursday poll - but they did, and it’s a headline grabber

Ipsos Mori also had Labour ahead!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    Farooq said:

CON 39
    LAB 36

If you'd said my prediction for an election tomorrow, I'd have agreed with you.
    I take it a snap December election is no longer mooted?
    Leon said:

fpt for RCS

Whoever wins by coming closest, has the altruistic reward of giving a shilling, or the USD equivalent, or any sum in excess, to the next homeless begging person they encounter

You're going to ask the homeless person for 45p change?
    PS, RCS, I think I might win

Worldometer, which updates through the day (or it did yesterday), has Germany on 50,133 already. Are they using the RKI stats from the day before? Maybe, it is confusing, and yet it is these same Worldometer figures which (correctly) told me that Germany was headed for a record day (whereas the ineffable Kamski was still using Monday's figures, or whatever)

We shall see

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

CON 39
    LAB 36

To achieve this prediction, I've collated the past 90 polls, correlated the results against the new boundaries, factored the demographics, integrated the column inches, regressed the python code, and come up with the answer. And the answer is, taking the two main parties only:

52% - 48%

And you know I'm right.
    I have whacked the last dozen polls with my guessing stick and come out with the answer of Minority Lab government.

Perhaps worth having a few quid on PM Starmer.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    tomfan said:

It helps pass the time.
    Foxy said:

I see this poll was done on 10 November, the day Geoffrey Cox dominated the news. Yet I was reassured by PB Tories that Labour were barking up the wrong tree. It seems not...

I don't know about Tories, but objections to the Cox stuff from my end at least was nothing to do with whether it would aid Labour in the polls to do so or not do so. It was because there were better examples to target to make a substantive point about behaviour.

Leon said:

fpt for RCS

You're going to ask the homeless person for 45p change?
    No, I will graciously donate the entire Ten Shilling Note
  • Leon said:

fpt for RCS

Is 50,500 a tie?
    tomfan said:

In election terms that's true of every poll right up until a few weeks before the election.

But mid-term polls can have significance - for example, they have caused the downfall of several Tory leaders, including Margaret Thatcher
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

3-days for an event to filter into polling.

10-days for it to roll out again if it is not truly impactful.

We've seen this so often with the Johnson government.

Massive fucking gaffe happens
    Polling with field work within a couple of days of gaffe happens which shows no change
    PB Righties smugly pronouncement that it is a Westiminster bubble story and Real Britons don't care.
    Polling with a field work date a week later shows a dip in Con lead
    PB Righties meltdown
    PB Lefties smugly declare the end of the Conservative government
    A week later polls return to normal

John Lewis wallpaper gate is the classic example.

Leon said:

fpt for RCS

Is 50,500 a tie?
    If it is a tie, I suggest that the wager is resolved by a subsidiary guess at the daily number of Germans on a ventilator?

Using actual deaths seems, I don't know, kind of bad taste. But maybe that's just me
    Scott_xP said:
    Amusing... but reusing a photo doesn't mean he wasn't there. Could just be he couldn't be arsed taking a new photo for the social media post, or had a huge zit on his face, and just reused an old picture.
  • :lol:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    11m
    I: MP who told ⁦ @MarcusRashford to focus on day job has second job #TomorrowsPapersToday
    This is going to be interesting to police:

Austrians heading towards lockdown for unvaccinated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59245018
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

Polling with field work within a couple of days of gaffe happens which shows no change
    PB Righties smugly pronouncement that it is a Westiminster bubble story and Real Britons don't care.
    PB Righties meltdown

In general I would agree that these things take time to impact, but I don't think this one will wear off so quickly. The Tories are a shit magnet for this sort of thing because they never learn, it's the same old, same old.
  • I predict... when the GE comes all these mid term polls will mean nothing 👍
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Mid-term blues on already. Bears no connection to the next election, except it might make it a little later.
  • @toadmeister has won the annual contrarian prize.

No idea why someone on PB didn't walk this to be honest.
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:
    Amusing... but reusing a photo doesn't mean he wasn't there. Could just be he couldn't be arsed taking a new photo for the social media post, or had a huge zit on his face, and just reused an old picture.
    Perhaps he was in the Virgin Isles instead, so attended electronically.
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

PB FenceSitters smugly declare whatever happens they saw it coming.
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

I knew you would post that
    edited November 2021
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

I knew you would post that
    It's important to maintain one's brand. Foresight is gifted to but a few, use it well, sir.
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

Yes. However, the polls don't go back to where they were. The lead has been dwindling slowly, slowly since June.
    Each event is a drip.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

In general I would agree that these things take time to impact, but I don't think this one will wear off so quickly. The Tories are a shit magnet for this sort of thing because they never learn, it's the same old, same old.
    If it’s the same old same old, and they’ve won the last four GE’s… does it matter?
  • Scott_xP said:

I: MP who told ⁦@MarcusRashford⁩ to focus on day job has second job #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1458925274574176257/photo/1

To quote Gove's former SPAD, Sam Freedman,

This parade of stories is like the lobby had been holding in a shit for ages and just found a loo.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1458508630785994752?s=20

Johnson did a remarkable job of making the stories like this seem irrelevant for a couple of years. And it was down to him; there was little point in running Bad Tory MP stories if they were guaranteed to fizzle out. But once one of them cut through, there was bound to be a backlog.

A pane of glass can be immensely strong- but once it has a single hairline crack, it has the potential to fail catastrophically, as those Autoglass adverts point out.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    The Tories would still win most seats even on the latest Redfield poll but Starmer would be able to become PM with SNP confidence and supply.

However as we saw in 2015 the prospect of a Labour PM propped up by the SNP in a hung parliament turned undecided voters to the Conservatives in the final days
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    It appears there are 2 local by-elections in South Kesteven today.
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

If it’s the same old same old, and they’ve won the last four GE’s… does it matter?
    Last time they won 4 GEs in a row and had a sleaze scandal, they lost the next 3.
  • Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:
    Given that he lives in his constituency and was holding a surgery in his constituency I'm not sure where the scandal is.

Its not a Cox out in the Virgin Isles situation.
  • Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

Last time they won 4 GEs in a row and had a sleaze scandal, they lost the next 3.
    Keep on hoping Foxy 🐶
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

Things don't matter until they do.

If people feel wealthier and more secure at the time of the next election, then they'll forgive the government. But if they don't, then it will be another stick to beat them with.

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:
    Given that he lives in his constituency and was holding a surgery in his constituency I'm not sure where the scandal is.

Its not a Cox out in the Virgin Isles situation.
    No, it's another nothing story. Funny in a small way, but not evidence of something bad.
  • This is going to be interesting to police:

Sounds like they need a variant of the Texas abortion law.

Publish the names of the anti-vaxxers and then fine them 1k Euro if they break lockdown - half the money to be paid to people providing evidence of the lockdown breaking.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    Farooq said:

CON 39
    LAB 36

If I were a Conservative, my fear for prospects at the next GE would be that we haven't had the economic s***storm yet. I was expecting that, but not this chaos.

There's always swing-back.
  • rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

Things don't matter until they do.

If people feel wealthier and more secure at the time of the next election, then they'll forgive the government. But if they don't, then it will be another stick to beat them with.
    And if you look at the charts of real-terms pay, there was quite a spurt in 2014/5. Enough to save Cameron's bacon.

The likely trajectory for 2022 and 2023 is that we will generally feel poorer after tax.

So over to you, Rishi.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    edited November 2021
    So whilst we look at one and two percent polls leads either way, it appears the US has informed its counterparts in EU capitals that Russia appears to be genuinely weighing up military action against Ukraine. The assumption is they expect the EU to show a bit of backbone.

Should hear the breeze and rustling tumbleweeds out of Berlin shortly.
  • I predict... when the GE comes all these mid term polls will mean nothing 👍

I disagree. All of the polls in November basically show this is heading towards too close to call. Which is what 2023 will be. A close competition. Surprisingly close until the final days imho.

slade said:

North Kesteven isn't it? Sleaford Castle and Metheringham?

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

Keep on hoping Foxy 🐶
    Just pointing out that past performance is not a reliable guide.

This is going to be interesting to police:

Well they gave birth to Adolf Hitler, who came back like the prodigal son in 1938. Clearly they still dont mind having a dictatorial streak over their citizenry
    Yokes said:

So whilst we look at one and two percent polls leads either way, it appears the US has informed its counterparts in EU capitals that Russia appears to be genuinely weighing up military action against Ukraine. The assumption is they expect the EU to show a bit of backbone.

It looks more like a formal annexation of the Donbass, to match the informal one.
  • Generally the significance of a single poll is in direct proportion to how much you like its finding.

With the inverse representing the odds of the poll being an outlier.
    Foxy said:

Yokes said:

It looks more like a formal annexation of the Donbass, to match the informal one.
    I wonder which come first, that or the effective annexation of Belarus with old Big Hat Lukashenko doing his impression of Marshal Petain.
    Foxy said:

slade said:

North Kesteven isn't it? Sleaford Castle and Metheringham?
    Sorry - yes.
  • Yokes said:

Drowned out by the rattle of an empty scabbard from Westminster surely?
    Labour hold in Lancaster.
    Punters are pisspoor at these Council by-elections. No reason at all for the Greens to be favourites that I could see.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    dixiedean said:

Punters are pisspoor at these Council by-elections. No reason at all for the Greens to be favourites that I could see.

I agree. Wish I'd had the courage of my convictions and wagered.
    University and Scotforth Lancaster City Council.

Ashton, Zanna (Lib Dem) 16
    Askari, Sayeda Fabiha Hassan (Labour) 216 - elected
    Maxwell-Scott, Matthew Joseph (Conservative) 44
    Payne, Jamie (Green) 193
  • dixiedean said:

Greens have been strong in Lancaster. No idea about this particular ward.

Yokes said:

It appears little known that UK MOD types make visits to Ukraine during times of tension and have done so again recently.
    Quincel said:

dixiedean said:

I agree. Wish I'd had the courage of my convictions and wagered.
    Yeah me too. We've only had a few. But they seem to heavily expect the upset result. Most are holds, most everywhere, most of the time.
    Lab gain in Cardiff.

dixiedean said:

Greens have been strong in Lancaster. No idea about this particular ward.
    It's always been Labour.
  • JadeJade Posts: 27
    Why is there a walkers crisp crisis? 😿
    Con hold in Melton (as it was originally).
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Jade said:

They blew their budget on Gary Lineker.
    PC hold in Denbighshire.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    edited November 2021
    Yokes said:

Yokes said:

It appears little known that UK MOD types make visits to Ukraine during times of tension and have done so again recently.
    Made some firm promises have they? Perhaps they've showed the Ukrainians the (current) MOD page on what the UK achieved in Afghanistan as a taster.

'The British Army in Afghanistan

The Taliban gave safe haven to Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, which allowed terrorists to plan and carry out attacks around the world. We joined many other nations in a NATO/ISAF-led military intervention to bring Al-Qaeda’s leaders to justice, remove the Taliban from control in Afghanistan and prevent the country again becoming a safe haven for international terrorists.'

https://www.army.mod.uk/deployments/afghanistan/

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Made some firm promises have they? Perhaps they've showed the Ukrainians the (current) MOD page on what the UK achieved in Afghanistan as a taster.

The Taliban gave safe haven to Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, which allowed terrorists to plan and carry out attacks around the world. We joined many other nations in a NATO/ISAF-led military intervention to bring Al-Qaeda’s leaders to justice, remove the Taliban from control in Afghanistan and prevent the country again becoming a safe haven for international terrorists.'

If that were the only text on the page it might be ok, as it just says what the joined other nations to 'bring' that, it doesn't say it achieved it.

I'd suggest some rewrites though.
    slade said:

Lab gain in Cardiff.

This ward is remarkable. In 2004 the Lib Dems won all three seats with majorities over 1000. Since then it has been won by Conservatives, Heath Independents, and Labour.
  • kle4 said:

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

If that were the only text on the page it might be ok, as it just says what the joined other nations to 'bring' that, it doesn't say it achieved it.

I'd suggest some rewrites though.
    Certainly a change in tenses.

'The international military campaign has reduced the terrorist threat from this region and helped train a 350,000 strong Afghan National Security Force, which now has security responsibility for Afghanistan's 30 million citizens.'

'The UK also provides mentors who work in a training and advisory role within the Afghan National Army Officers' Academy and Infantry Branch School among other Afghan institutions.
    These have been made possible by improved security provided by international troops and the Afghan National Security Forces.'
    Con gain in North Kesteven from Lincolnshire Independents.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    slade said:

I voted for that lot when they stood under "The independent network" banner in the final EU parliament elections we had.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,284
    "Blacklisted for mocking Hitler
    Andrew Graham-Dixon has been banned from the Cambridge Union for making a satirical, anti-racist speech."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/11/10/blacklisted-for-mocking-hitler/
  • slade said:

Turn round Thursday. CON on target for overall majority at GE after all.

Goodnight all 👍
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Andy_JS said:

Andrew Graham-Dixon has been banned from the Cambridge Union for making a satirical, anti-racist speech."

Springtime for cancel culture.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    edited November 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

"Das war ein Befehl! Der Cancel Culture Angriff war ein Befehl! Wer sind Sie, dass Sie es wagen, sich meinem Befehl zu widersetzen?"
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Too quick for Cox.

PB Righties meltdown

Depends what it is. Always.
  • Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Didn't we do this a couple of days ago? John Cleese then banned himself and the Cambridge Union decided it wasn't going to run a blacklist.
    Green hold in Thanet.
  • Paywalled so I can't tell which MPs and their parties:-

MPs fill pockets using rent expenses loophole
    Fourteen, including Geoffrey Cox, let out London home and rent another with taxpayer cash

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mps-fill-pockets-using-rent-expenses-loophole-v7j5jtls6 (£££)
  • Yokes said:

Yokes said:

British ‘spy’ jet near Crimea ruffles Moscow feathers
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-spy-jet-near-crimea-ruffles-moscow-feathers-qnpw8dbnx (£££)
  • Jade said:

Computer says no. Walkers screwed up a computer upgrade according to (no real details):-
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/nov/07/walkers-crisps-shortage-could-last-until-end-of-month-after-it-glitch
  • Boris Johnson
    Tory MPs accuse Johnson of hypocrisy in crackdown on second jobs
    UK PM earned more than £4m from outside interests in last 14 years while London mayor and in parliament

https://www.ft.com/content/a256fc82-e036-469a-b489-be5b3f806deb (£££)
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,284
    "An Astronomer Cancels His Own Research—Because the Results Weren’t Popular"

https://quillette.com/2021/11/10/an-astronomer-cancels-his-own-research-because-the-results-werent-popular/
    dixiedean said:

University and Scotforth Lancaster City Council.

Ashton, Zanna (Lib Dem) 16
    Askari, Sayeda Fabiha Hassan (Labour) 216 - elected
    Maxwell-Scott, Matthew Joseph (Conservative) 44
    Payne, Jamie (Green) 193

Strong performance by the Greens, but I thought Labour worth a punt on current polling. Winnings nough for a couple of pints.

Jade said:

Both go back a long way, to when Walkers sponsored Leicester City. Walkers crisps started as a sideline to a butchers on Leicester Market. The Linekers had a fruit and veg stall.

The problem is an IT one it seems.
    Interesting to see Alaistair Campbell getting such applause from the BBCQT audience, and in Hartlepool too.

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1458935696639541261?t=kHfDR6kGV6V2AKvo1yh8SA&s=19
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    New from the giant sales Expo that is COP26. Trains that will run on hydrogen to be beguile in the UK. A small fleet to start.

https://www.alstom.com/press-releases-news/2021/11/alstom-and-eversholt-rail-sign-agreement-uks-first-ever-brand-new
    Foxy said:

Interesting to see Alaistair Campbell getting such applause from the BBCQT audience, and in Hartlepool too.

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1458935696639541261?t=kHfDR6kGV6V2AKvo1yh8SA&s=19

People have short memories where he is concerned.
    More failure from this hopeless Tory administration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59257107
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    https://www.the-sun.com/news/4045099/ufos-us-warships-aliens-dni/

“The main issues that Congress and others have been concerned about is safety of flight concerns and counterintelligence issues. Always there’s also the question of ‘is there something else that we simply do not understand, which might come extraterrestrially?”

This is the second DNI in a row to publicly link UAP to non human intelligence. Ratcliffe was very explicit after he left office, far more so than this, but what he said apparently doesn’t count because Trump hired him. His Biden appointed successor now leaning into it in a similar way.

Which takes us back to the central point identified by Leon ages ago. Either there is the wildest senior bipartisan conspiracy underway in the US establishment to fool the world into thinking we are being visited by aliens/interdimensionals/time travellers etc... Or, there is no conspiracy and that is just what they believe is happening.

Here for example are highly explicit comments from Rep. Carson, who while not a Gang of Eight Member, will have at least seen the unredacted UAP report to Congress as a member of the House Intelligience Committee and STAR sub committee:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/qkevqf/andre_carson_member_intelligence_committee_this/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Anyway nothing to see here, back to council bi-elections / MPs’ billable hours / Megan Markle.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Johnson Matthey abandons electric car battery plans
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59244991
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    LOL. Maybe Rishi should have a word with him ?

Miami Mayor @FrancisSuarez announces on "First Mover" that his city will be the first in the U.S. to give a #bitcoin yield, from #Miamicoin, as a dividend directly to its residents.
    https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1458874317064843264
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Nigelb said:

LOL. Maybe Rishi should have a word with him ?

Miami Mayor @FrancisSuarez announces on "First Mover" that his city will be the first in the U.S. to give a #bitcoin yield, from #Miamicoin, as a dividend directly to its residents.
    https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1458874317064843264

What could possibly go wrong there? Only in Miami…
This discussion has been closed.