Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The banning EU mineral water story is surely a spoof – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2021 in General
The banning EU mineral water story is surely a spoof – politicalbetting.com

From 7th January the UK will cease to recognise and allow import of mineral water from the EU and EEA. In order to promote Britain's clean, healthy and delicious natural mineral waters. https://t.co/RHoF8b1Gpm

Read the full story here

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    It would seem a bizarre thing to do but it just might be a shot across the bows of France in particular who are still playing the arsehole with élan.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394
    I've always thought that bottled water was absurd, and importing it from overseas even more absurd. If you have to ban anything, perhaps to prove a point to the EU in negotiations, then it's a good one to choose.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    While it looks petty I can see valid reasons for blocking the importation of mineral water - it's bulky, expensive to transport and not exactly required...
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    As a libertarian I am delighted that the government has acted to ban this and restrict our choices to approved water only.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    It's not banned, it's just not recognised under the old pre-Brexit scheme.

You can still import it, if you fill in more Brexit paperwork.

Another example of Brexit making life more complicated, difficult and expensive.

Yay!!!
  • If my Evian water is at risk then I will engage in vicious civil disobedience, as will the rest of Middle England.
  • What's going so badly that we need to be distracted by War With France again?
  • FPT

I completed a survey by Opinium and one of the supplementary questions are what words I would use to describe Prince Charles.

I think I was fair and balanced.

Farooq said:

How the fuck are my house plants supposed to get watered if I can't get San Pellegrino? This is a fucking nightmare, nobody has ever suffered like me.

“It’s a bloody nightmare”
    Meaning: Something is proving a mild inconvenience; typically used to describe slightly heavy traffic, or the internet not working

“It’s not ideal”
    Meaning: Something terrible has happened and life is almost certainly ruined

https://twitter.com/SoVeryBritish/status/1451896363722199046

What's going so badly that we need to be distracted by War With France again?

Everything...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited October 2021
    What great news for Buxton mineral water and Highland Spring. A fabulous opportunity to buy more of our great British natural spring water post Brexit!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited October 2021

The booster rollout.

Last week the government was hinting about changing the rules to make sure you can have your jab after five months instead of six.

This morning I go on the website to book some people's booster jabs and it now says it has changed from six months to six months and a week.

#JoinedUpGovernment #CouldNotOrganiseAPregnancyOnACouncilEstate
  • I've always thought that bottled water was absurd, and importing it from overseas even more absurd. If you have to ban anything, perhaps to prove a point to the EU in negotiations, then it's a good one to choose.

It can't be great for the environment to be fair, however silly the policy is on trade grounds alone.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Whilst imported mineral water isn't exactly a required product, this seems a great way to go about starting a tit for tat trade war which won't help us a great deal.
    #StoolBritannia is trending.

I look forward to the inevitable slew of pieces in the Brexit-supporting press about how dysentery is a fair price for freedom and might even reveal the true meaning of Christmas. ~AA

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1452617221709180933
  • Anyhoo, the Telegraph have also picked up on something I flagged up years ago.

Becoming a third country screws up the legal remedies for British companies against EU countries.

Brussels is hitting British companies with extra charges of as much as £100,000 just to take a case to EU court, sparking fears that small firms could be cut off from justice.

The bloc is forcing UK businesses to pay so-called “security bonds” of at least £50,000 to courts in the EU in order to bring forward a claim after Brexit. Higher-value and more complex cases can require a bond of £100,000 or more, according to legal sources.

While the legal sector was one of the only branches of the professional services industry to have a dedicated section in the post-Brexit Trade and Cooperation Agreement, British firms have found themselves being treated by EU civil courts in the same way as businesses from other “third” countries, such as China.

Ministers have been in talks with EU officials about removing the requirement for UK litigants to lodge a security bond, but discussions have stalled in recent months, the Telegraph understands.

The introduction of the bonds have created fears that smaller British businesses will be unable to defend themselves in courts on the Continent due to the significant upfront costs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/10/24/brussels-stings-british-firms-extra-legal-charges/

We need a reason??
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,399
    Bozo: "We could feed some of the human beings to the animals."
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

FPT

I completed a survey by Opinium and one of the supplementary questions are what words I would use to describe Prince Charles.

I think I was fair and balanced.

I really can't imagine your calling HRH fair and balanced.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    This is the kind of politics that will see Johnson increase his majority at the next election. The bendy bananas style nonsense still works.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    The details if one clicks through confirm thst it's a side-effect of our withdrawal from the EU single market, so that we now require separate approval rather than rely on approval given hitherto. Anyone can apply to the British authorities to have their mineral water approved as safe.

It's a silly bit of bureaucracy rather than a ban. A more sensible arrangement would be that all previously approved products remained approved, so Evian etc. would only need approval if they introduced a new "super-Evian" water. Precisely the same applies in reverse - if we hitherto exported Kit-Kats to Belgium, they will now need to apply for approval.

Since we all have the same standards at the moment, mutual recognition would be better still. But, you know, freedom.
  • I assume this has been discussed.

Petrol prices have hit a record high across the UK in what the RAC has described as a "truly dark day for drivers".

The average daily price per litre hit 142.94p on Sunday in data reported on Monday morning by RAC/Experian Catalist, which is separate from the weekly average record price reported by government.

https://news.sky.com/story/truly-dark-day-for-drivers-as-petrol-prices-hit-record-high-in-uk-12444079

I know @tlg86 believes the Tory victory in 2015 was down in part to falling petrol prices.
    FPT, the curse of the new thread killed my neologism with which to describe Wales -
    No longer having an established church, it is a postantidisestablishmentarianist society.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,621
    Farooq said:

How the fuck are my house plants supposed to get watered if I can't get San Pellegrino? This is a fucking nightmare, nobody has ever suffered like me.

You torture your house plants with San Pellegrino??

Fillico Jewelry Water surely?
    The road to #COP26 in Glasgow was never going to be smooth but there's quite a bump coming this afternoon...
    https://twitter.com/davidshukmanbbc/status/1452614864803930121
  • Keep that foreign muck out, nothing can beat the excremental tang of Brit H20.

Anyhoo, the Telegraph have also picked up on something I flagged up years ago.

Becoming a third country screws up the legal remedies for British companies against EU countries.

Brussels is hitting British companies with extra charges of as much as £100,000 just to take a case to EU court, sparking fears that small firms could be cut off from justice.

The bloc is forcing UK businesses to pay so-called “security bonds” of at least £50,000 to courts in the EU in order to bring forward a claim after Brexit. Higher-value and more complex cases can require a bond of £100,000 or more, according to legal sources.

While the legal sector was one of the only branches of the professional services industry to have a dedicated section in the post-Brexit Trade and Cooperation Agreement, British firms have found themselves being treated by EU civil courts in the same way as businesses from other “third” countries, such as China.

Ministers have been in talks with EU officials about removing the requirement for UK litigants to lodge a security bond, but discussions have stalled in recent months, the Telegraph understands.

The introduction of the bonds have created fears that smaller British businesses will be unable to defend themselves in courts on the Continent due to the significant upfront costs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/10/24/brussels-stings-british-firms-extra-legal-charges/

Under EU law there was a presumption that those within the SM would not need to lodge caution or security. It could be overcome but you needed good evidence. We may have lost the benefit of that presumption but this will simply encourage companies to make even more use of the English courts, which they will be able to do in most cases unless their contract is with a consumer or the contract expressly stipulates otherwise.

I can see the UK courts taking the same view of EU plaintiffs.
  • PM saying recycling does not work, and we should feed humans to animals (apparently this one passes for comedy).

Global Britain leading the way ahead of COP26.....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

I assume this has been discussed.

Petrol prices have hit a record high across the UK in what the RAC has described as a "truly dark day for drivers".

The average daily price per litre hit 142.94p on Sunday in data reported on Monday morning by RAC/Experian Catalist, which is separate from the weekly average record price reported by government.

https://news.sky.com/story/truly-dark-day-for-drivers-as-petrol-prices-hit-record-high-in-uk-12444079

I know @tlg86 believes the Tory victory in 2015 was down in part to falling petrol prices.

The easy way to address that, is to stop forcing petrol stations to display their prices in lights a foot high.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Keep that foreign muck out, nothing can beat the excremental tang of Brit H20.

Britannia stools the waves!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    The advantage of writing the satirists jokes for them is that they're then too lazy to write the jokes that might hurt you.

Mineral water imports is the perfect territory to reinforce the anti metropolitan elite message.
    Can’t recall the last time the Speaker granted four UQs in a day.

Can recall what the Speaker said last week about government giving information to the press instead of parliament.
    https://twitter.com/parlyapp/status/1452610184099123202 https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1452613601005555714/photo/1
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    MattW said:

AIUI there is no ban. And I'm not clear what any fuss is about, or why the story has materialised now.

This is just replicating the regime that the EU has in place for exports of mineral water from here since the start of this year.

Here's the Government Guidance about it:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/recognition-of-natural-mineral-water-inside-and-outside-the-uk

And here is the EU Guidance:
    (Directive 2009/54/EC)
    https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/brexit_files/info_site/natural_mineral_waters_en.pdf

Telegraph report from July
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/02/eu-mineral-water-exports-uk-will-need-authorised-next-year/#:~:text="The automatic recognition for EEA,," a Defra spokesman said.

Expect an outrage bus from the FBPE corner.

If it's a technical replication/mirror of rules why the tweet about "the UK will cease to recognise and allow import of mineral water from the EU and EEA. In order to promote Britain's clean, healthy and delicious natural mineral waters". Just seems like needless pot stirring.
    edited October 2021

I drink Perthshire sparkling from Tescos and even that makes me feel guilty. I kind of justify it because it is sparkling and not just plain water. It is an alternative to cans of fizzy drink. Also the delivery distance is about 25 miles. Guilt.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    Comes out of the tap for (next to) nothing.
  • Comes out of the tap for (next to) nothing.

Some of us live in areas where water comes out of a tap but it also comes with a foam.
  • DavidL said:

I drink Perthshire sparkling from Tescos and even that makes me feel guilty. I kind of justify it because it is sparkling and not just plain water. It is an alternative to cans of fizzy drink. Also the delivery distance is about 25 miles. Guilt.
    Yer Scottish, guilt comes wi’ the tap water and the air you breath.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Some of us live in areas where water comes out of a tap but it also comes with a foam.
    Better to get your water from your own well ...

There are some advantages of not being linked to municipal water and sewage. Except when the power goes out. Future projects include wind and solar power generation, and a whole house battery.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

AIUI there is no ban. And I'm not clear what any fuss is about, or why the story has materialised now.

This is just replicating the regime that the EU has in place for exports of mineral water from here since the start of this year.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/recognition-of-natural-mineral-water-inside-and-outside-the-uk

(Directive 2009/54/EC)
    https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/brexit_files/info_site/natural_mineral_waters_en.pdf

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/02/eu-mineral-water-exports-uk-will-need-authorised-next-year/#:~:text="The automatic recognition for EEA,," a Defra spokesman said.

If it's a technical replication/mirror of rules why the tweet about "the UK will cease to recognise and allow import of mineral water from the EU and EEA. In order to promote Britain's clean, healthy and delicious natural mineral waters". Just seems like needless pot stirring.
    Right, ok looking around it appears "Best for Britain" is an anti-Brexit group. So the tweet is composed is made to look like it supports the efforts of the Gov't, and that the action has been taken for the reasons mentioned in the tweet when in fact it's a technical detail/mirror of EU regs.
    Just nonsense from the #FBPE lot again tbh.
    You mean we're not starting a war with France? No fun!
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

Yup. Why does anyone buy mineral water? What a pointless purchase.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. T, sometimes the power going out is because you're linked to the grid...

Just think of it as alcohol free beer...
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

(Directive 2009/54/EC)

point scoring - although as I pointed out below while I dislike a lot of things about Brexit and this Government's approach to it, stopping water travelling 1000s of miles for no good reason does make this something I can agree with.

Mr. T, sometimes the power going out is because you're linked to the grid...

That's why I said linked to water and sewage, not linked to the grid.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited October 2021
    Nigelb said:

Just think of it as alcohol free beer...
    Unfortunately for me alcohol free beer is a no no for me because I'm a devout Muslim because a beer drinking friend of mine came up with analogy for alcohol free beer which I have never been able to forget.

I have never understood why fuel consumption is measured in mpg but prices quoted in litres. It just means I'm never arsed to convert it, so never really know how much my fuel costs. Why not forced the petrol stations to quote in price per gallon? It would make life much simpler.
  • I always thought Badoit water tasted a bit funny..

"A 2004 analysis by the French Society for Radiation Protection confirms the spring water emits 70 becquerels per liter of radiation before treatment, containing 58 mg/m3 of uranium, 350 Bq/m3 of radium-226 and 713 Bq/m3 of radium-228. After treatment, it contains 5.45 mg/m3 of uranium, 28 Bq/m3 of radium 226 and 44 Bq/m3 of radium 228."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badoit
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited October 2021
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

(Directive 2009/54/EC)

That's a fair point.

But all they have to do is register and supply relevant information by the look of it.

Is this all a hangover from the Benzene in Perrier scandal?

I can see that it might be a poke in the ribs for Mons. Macaron. Which is perhaps what we need to be doing a bit more, given his behaviour.
    edited October 2021

The tap water in Sheffield is fine. Stop whingeing. We'd all be better off if people stopped buying bottled water.
    eek said:

while I dislike a lot of things about Brexit and this Government's approach to it, stopping water travelling 1000s of miles for no good reason does make this something I can agree with.

They are not stopping it.

They are making it more complicated, difficult and expensive.

Brexit in its purest form...
  • PM saying recycling does not work, and we should feed humans to animals (apparently this one passes for comedy).

Johnson does have a point though, albeit overegged. Plastic recycling doesn't work very well, and it would be much better to avoid using plastics as much as possible as well as reusing them a lot more, perhaps with a deposit scheme, as in Germany.
    edited October 2021

I always thought Badoit water tasted a bit funny..

"A 2004 analysis by the French Society for Radiation Protection confirms the spring water emits 70 becquerels per liter of radiation before treatment, containing 58 mg/m3 of uranium, 350 Bq/m3 of radium-226 and 713 Bq/m3 of radium-228. After treatment, it contains 5.45 mg/m3 of uranium, 28 Bq/m3 of radium 226 and 44 Bq/m3 of radium 228."

Not as bad as Vichy.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

PM saying recycling does not work, and we should feed humans to animals (apparently this one passes for comedy).

That's quite disingenuous. What he actually said was that recycling on its own is not enough and that we need to reduce our consumption of plastics in the first place. I think that this is quite logical.

Thinking about the waste from my household we generate more recycling than non-recycling. The non-recycling is mostly the thin plastic that cannot be recycled. I am surprised that we have not done more in that area. One simple way would be to ban selling of fruit & vegetables in non-recyclable packaging. We would likely go back to the days where these were sold by loose by weight and put in paper bags. Some inconvenience is required to improve things.
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

(Directive 2009/54/EC)

point scoring - although as I pointed out below while I dislike a lot of things about Brexit and this Government's approach to it, stopping water travelling 1000s of miles for no good reason does make this something I can agree with.
    Yes, they have accidentally won my agreement here too. Anything that reduces demand for this pointless, environmentally damaging product is A Good Thing, regardless of the policy cock-ups behind it.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

(Directive 2009/54/EC)

Right, ok looking around it appears "Best for Britain" is an anti-Brexit group. So the tweet is composed is made to look like it supports the efforts of the Gov't, and that the action has been taken for the reasons mentioned in the tweet when in fact it's a technical detail/mirror of EU regs.
    Best for Britain is one of Gina Miller's vehicles.

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    DavidL said:

It would seem a bizarre thing to do but it just might be a shot across the bows of France in particular who are still playing the arsehole with élan.

Whereas we are playing the arsehole with Evian :wink:
    AlistairM said:

PM saying recycling does not work, and we should feed humans to animals (apparently this one passes for comedy).

That's quite disingenuous. What he actually said was that recycling on its own is not enough and that we need to reduce our consumption of plastics in the first place. I think that this is quite logical.

Thinking about the waste from my household we generate more recycling than non-recycling. The non-recycling is mostly the thin plastic that cannot be recycled. I am surprised that we have not done more in that area. One simple way would be to ban selling of fruit & vegetables in non-recyclable packaging. We would likely go back to the days where these were sold by loose by weight and put in paper bags. Some inconvenience is required to improve things.
    I've never been clear why that would even be much more inconvenient. I never found the paper bags inconvenient in the first place. And it might actually nudge consumers into buying what they need instead of stocking up on produce then chucking it away.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Well I broke the story here. And I couldn’t believe it when I saw it.

There’s a decent export market for Highland Spring and the like, which we would surely lose.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited October 2021
    FPT:
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes
    I'd argue having a good teacher is way more important than having a teacher who is the best expert in the subject.

Chemistry is physics is not at all misleading, although it might be better expressed as 'chemistry is the emergent properties of physics, and biology is the emergent properties of chemistry, and behaviour is the emergent properties of biology' etc...

My bit:
    Trying to predict the effects of molecules based purely on the laws of Physics has not had a good track record. For biology that is even more of an issue (if it weren’t we wouldn’t have to muck around with all that clinical testing of drugs; we would be able to calculate which would work and why).
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited October 2021

I have never understood why fuel consumption is measured in mpg but prices quoted in litres. It just means I'm never arsed to convert it, so never really know how much my fuel costs. Why not forced the petrol stations to quote in price per gallon? It would make life much simpler.
    Tbh I'd rather consumption is measured in litres per 100 miles (metric countries use l/100 km rather than kilometres per litre).

I struggle with imperial measurements apart from the few areas of daily life in which it's used such as driving distances and speed, height in ft and in and weight in stone because my school didn't bother to teach anything but metric.
  • Fantastic news that we're going to ban imported food and drink. Its the perfect way to try and distract people from the winter we're about to have.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    eek said:

While it looks petty I can see valid reasons for blocking the importation of mineral water - it's bulky, expensive to transport and not exactly required...

Yes, but then to be rational about it, you’d need to establish some criteria, in terms of value versus weight in relation to distance transported, and develop and implement a policy - after appropriate consultation - accordingly. This surprise announcement is asking for a trade war and is surely not a serious proposal as to how to proceed.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Just as an aside, I rather like this video on what people used before clingfilm and the like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io33h4CShi0

Medieval types were very good on recycling, due to necessity.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

(Directive 2009/54/EC)

That's a fair point.

But all they have to do is register and supply relevant information by the look of it.

Is this all a hangover from the Benzene in Perrier scandal?

I can see that it might be a poke in the ribs for Mons. Macaron. Which is perhaps what we need to be doing a bit more, given his behaviour.
    Leaving aside the desirability of drinking bottled water this, as @Scott_xP says, encapsulates Brexit entirely. Introducing extra checks and administrative measures to maintain continuity of service and maintain the status quo ante.
  • I always thought Badoit water tasted a bit funny..

Hands up all those who know what a becquerel is.

Selebian said:

DavidL said:

Whereas we are playing the arsehole with Evian :wink:
    Which, I just discovered, is "naive" backwards.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

The tap water in Sheffield is fine. Stop whingeing. We'd all be better off if people stopped buying bottled water.
    Bottled water is the first thing to be sacrificed when there are constraints on deliveries which shoes how unnecessary it is. I would probably support a complete ban on it. I'd love to see a national network of free water refill stations. Everyone then just has reusable water bottles.
    IN other news

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/27/22696836/babylon-5-reboot-j-michael-straczynski-warner-bros-the-cw

"Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Zathras have sad life, probably have sad death, but at least there is symmetry."
  • AlistairM said:

Swapping to recyclable packaging would increase food waste.

That thin plastic around your cucumber makes it last much longer.

Obviously this isn't the case for all plastic food packaging, and we could massively reduce it without causing food waste, but banning all non-recyclable materials would have consequences other than the being brilliantly green one.
    DavidL said:

Via their distribution hub in Daventry.
  • AlistairM said:

Obviously this isn't the case for all plastic food packaging, and we could massively reduce it without causing food waste, but banning all non-recyclable materials would have consequences other than the being brilliantly green one.
    Which does more damage: food waste or plastic waste?

I've never seen any analysis on that.
    RH1992 said:

Tbh I'd rather consumption is measured in litres per 100 miles (metric countries use l/100 km rather than kilometres per litre).

I struggle with imperial measurements apart from the few areas of daily life in which it's used such as driving distances and speed, height in ft and in and weight in stone because my school didn't bother to teach anything but metric.
    Sure, I can see the case for that, but at least make it consistent. The current system, whereby consumption is mpg and fuel priced per litre is needlessly complicated. Why?
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912

Water with a head? You should pay extra for that.
  • RH1992 said:

Sure, I can see the case for that, but at least make it consistent. The current system, whereby consumption is mpg and fuel priced per litre is needlessly complicated. Why?
    Don't all cars have an onboard computer that you can set to either these days?

AlistairM said:

A lot of "Food Waste" is actually things like carrot peelings - hence the variations in estimates according to who is doing the estimating.

The problem with plastics is that they have serious (non-)decay issues.

Fantastic news that we're going to ban imported food and drink. Its the perfect way to try and distract people from the winter we're about to have.

As a Brexiteer, you should be happy. After all, you voted for this.

AlistairM said:

I suspect that we ay be quite close to degradable plastics for such applications.

I note that my window envelopes now seem to be recyclable.
    Approval of the government's handling of the pandemic has fallen 8pts since mid-Oct to just a third

Handling well: 34% (-8 from 14-15 Oct)
    Handling badly: 59% (+8)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/international/articles-reports/2020/03/17/perception-government-handling-covid-19 https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1452627605669167106/photo/1

64% of Britons now say the COVID-19 situation in the UK is getting worse, up from 35% less than two weeks ago

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/international/articles-reports/2020/05/26/perceived-national-and-global-covid-19-outlook https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1452627611214131206/photo/1
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    IanB2 said:

There’s a decent export market for Highland Spring and the like, which we would surely lose.

All that's happening is that we no longer recognise the EU authorities, after a grace period, so they have to apply to a UK authority.
  • RH1992 said:

Price per litre gives much smaller numbers than price per gallon so looks better.

Mpg gives much bigger numbers than mpl so looks better.
  • Klopp Out.

His stupid tactics yesterday have screwed Liverpool.

Antonio Conte would be open to discussing taking over at Manchester United if Ole Gunnar Solskjær were sacked, while it emerged on Monday that several players are questioning whether the Norwegian can take the team any further.

Several dressing-room sources have told the Guardian that Sunday’s 5-0 capitulation to Liverpool at Old Trafford has crystallised a lack of belief in Solskjær being a good enough manager for United. The 48-year-old is considered tactically underwhelming, while being well-liked by the squad and within the wider club.

United are thought to be seriously considering Solskjær’s future after taking one point from their past four Premier League games. Joel Glazer, who heads the American family’s ownership, resides in Florida, five hours behind the UK, so any decision may be taken later on Monday. The managing director, Richard Arnold, is understood to have cancelled all appointments on Monday to hold talks with Glazer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/25/antonio-conte-keen-on-manchester-united-job-as-players-doubt-solskjaer-capability-tactics

Klopp's record is astonishing, it would mean two Everton managers and two Manchester United managers sacked after getting shellacked by Klopp's Liverpool.
  • AlistairM said:

A lot of "Food Waste" is actually things like carrot peelings - hence the variations in estimates according to who is doing the estimating.

The problem with plastics is that they have serious (non-)decay issues.
    Who has time to peel carrots? Just wash them!

AlistairM said:

I'm afraid that your second sentence has brought out my inner Finbarr Saunders.
  • AlistairM said:

I think we all have some conception of our own waste.

But I have absolutely no idea of the balance between food waste and packaging waste as it applies to business users.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056
    Scott_xP said:

It's not banned, it's just not recognised under the old pre-Brexit scheme.

You can still import it, if you fill in more Brexit paperwork.

Another example of Brexit making life more complicated, difficult and expensive.

Yay!!!

When ScottP is the voice of reason in a thread…

RH1992 said:

I've never checked mine, maybe. But then presumably you'd have to have l/km – when we don't use km for roads in this country, nor for mileage allowances at work, so again it requires conversion (not to mention the fact that all cars are rated in mpg so you'd again have to convert to compare vehicles). Why not just have one consistent system?

IanB2 said:

All that's happening is that we no longer recognise the EU authorities, after a grace period, so they have to apply to a UK authority.
    As this paragraph states

"As a consequence, all natural mineral waters which obtained their recognition in or by an
    EU member state will no longer be authorised for import into England as natural mineral waters, unless they are recognised as such by a responsible authority of the United Kingdom
    with the exception of Northern Ireland."

Interesting that it only applies to England. Are Scotland and Wales going to be able to have their own trade policies?
    AlistairM said:

Bottled water is the first thing to be sacrificed when there are constraints on deliveries which shoes how unnecessary it is. I would probably support a complete ban on it. I'd love to see a national network of free water refill stations. Everyone then just has reusable water bottles.

Yep. That would be the way to go.

RH1992 said:

I've never checked mine, maybe. But then presumably you'd have to have l/km – when we don't use km for roads in this country, nor for mileage allowances at work, so again it requires conversion (not to mention the fact that all cars are rated in mpg so you'd again have to convert to compare vehicles). Why not just have one consistent system?
    The metric measure is l/100km not km/l so it's an inverted measurement. Not an easy calculation and smaller numbers are better, not bigger.

AlistairM said:

No, because behaviour would change accordingly. Why buy a cucumber if you don't plan to eat it? Just buy what you need.
  • This seems a good thread to recommend this video:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wD79NZroV88
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

(Directive 2009/54/EC)

Best for Britain is one of Gina Miller's vehicles.

I always thought it would have been better used as a campaign for a Great Britain (well, UK) football team back when George was at the peak of his powers.
  • AlistairM said:

No, because behaviour would change accordingly. Why buy a cucumber if you don't plan to eat it? Just buy what you need.
    So lots more trips to the shops rather than one big one each week?
    Multiply the price per litre by 4.5 (within engineering accuracy) to get price per gallon.

Then divide by your mpg and you've got fuel cost per mile.

If your answer is <10p you are doing very well!
This discussion has been closed.