Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The banning EU mineral water story is surely a spoof – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620

RH1992 said:

I assume this has been discussed.

Petrol prices have hit a record high across the UK in what the RAC has described as a "truly dark day for drivers".

The average daily price per litre hit 142.94p on Sunday in data reported on Monday morning by RAC/Experian Catalist, which is separate from the weekly average record price reported by government.

https://news.sky.com/story/truly-dark-day-for-drivers-as-petrol-prices-hit-record-high-in-uk-12444079

I know @tlg86 believes the Tory victory in 2015 was down in part to falling petrol prices.

I have never understood why fuel consumption is measured in mpg but prices quoted in litres. It just means I'm never arsed to convert it, so never really know how much my fuel costs. Why not forced the petrol stations to quote in price per gallon? It would make life much simpler.
    Tbh I'd rather consumption is measured in litres per 100 miles (metric countries use l/100 km rather than kilometres per litre).

I struggle with imperial measurements apart from the few areas of daily life in which it's used such as driving distances and speed, height in ft and in and weight in stone because my school didn't bother to teach anything but metric.
    Sure, I can see the case for that, but at least make it consistent. The current system, whereby consumption is mpg and fuel priced per litre is needlessly complicated. Why?
    Don't all cars have an onboard computer that you can set to either these days?
    I've never checked mine, maybe. But then presumably you'd have to have l/km – when we don't use km for roads in this country, nor for mileage allowances at work, so again it requires conversion (not to mention the fact that all cars are rated in mpg so you'd again have to convert to compare vehicles). Why not just have one consistent system?
    The metric measure is l/100km not km/l so it's an inverted measurement. Not an easy calculation and smaller numbers are better, not bigger.
    Good point, so the obvious step is to force petrol stations to advertise their prices in £/gallon – they could also advertise in £/litre if they wished. But if they were forced to advertise in £/gallon it would be far, far easier for consumers to reckon up.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited October 2021

RH1992 said:

Petrol prices have hit a record high across the UK in what the RAC has described as a "truly dark day for drivers".

The average daily price per litre hit 142.94p on Sunday in data reported on Monday morning by RAC/Experian Catalist, which is separate from the weekly average record price reported by government.

https://news.sky.com/story/truly-dark-day-for-drivers-as-petrol-prices-hit-record-high-in-uk-12444079

I know @tlg86 believes the Tory victory in 2015 was down in part to falling petrol prices.

I have never understood why fuel consumption is measured in mpg but prices quoted in litres. It just means I'm never arsed to convert it, so never really know how much my fuel costs. Why not forced the petrol stations to quote in price per gallon? It would make life much simpler.
    Tbh I'd rather consumption is measured in litres per 100 miles (metric countries use l/100 km rather than kilometres per litre).

I struggle with imperial measurements apart from the few areas of daily life in which it's used such as driving distances and speed, height in ft and in and weight in stone because my school didn't bother to teach anything but metric.
    Sure, I can see the case for that, but at least make it consistent. The current system, whereby consumption is mpg and fuel priced per litre is needlessly complicated. Why?
    I've never checked mine, maybe. But then presumably you'd have to have l/km – when we don't use km for roads in this country, nor for mileage allowances at work, so again it requires conversion (not to mention the fact that all cars are rated in mpg so you'd again have to convert to compare vehicles). Why not just have one consistent system?
    The metric measure is l/100km not km/l so it's an inverted measurement. Not an easy calculation and smaller numbers are better, not bigger.
    Once understood it makes more sense though and much easier to work out prices. If you use miles over km it can still work the same way.

Using 6 litres at £1.42 per litre to drive 100 miles is a cost of £8.52 while 5.5 litres to drive 100 miles is £7.81.

No multiplication and division around 4.54 as at present.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,099
    edited October 2021

AlistairM said:

PM saying recycling does not work, and we should feed humans to animals (apparently this one passes for comedy).

Global Britain leading the way ahead of COP26.....

That's quite disingenuous. What he actually said was that recycling on its own is not enough and that we need to reduce our consumption of plastics in the first place. I think that this is quite logical.

Thinking about the waste from my household we generate more recycling than non-recycling. The non-recycling is mostly the thin plastic that cannot be recycled. I am surprised that we have not done more in that area. One simple way would be to ban selling of fruit & vegetables in non-recyclable packaging. We would likely go back to the days where these were sold by loose by weight and put in paper bags. Some inconvenience is required to improve things.
    Swapping to recyclable packaging would increase food waste.

That thin plastic around your cucumber makes it last much longer.

Obviously this isn't the case for all plastic food packaging, and we could massively reduce it without causing food waste, but banning all non-recyclable materials would have consequences other than the being brilliantly green one.
    No, because behaviour would change accordingly. Why buy a cucumber if you don't plan to eat it? Just buy what you need.
    So lots more trips to the shops rather than one big one each week?
    How do you package 1/3 of a cucumber?

Currently they do it in the same plastic.

But I think a biodegradable version of that should be close, as it has a well-defined required life.

And also perhaps fewer food miles if we see a pivot back to UK-grown cucumbers post-Brexit. Thanet Earth grows 10s of millions, so it should be possible.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997

AlistairM said:

PM saying recycling does not work, and we should feed humans to animals (apparently this one passes for comedy).

That's quite disingenuous. What he actually said was that recycling on its own is not enough and that we need to reduce our consumption of plastics in the first place. I think that this is quite logical.

Thinking about the waste from my household we generate more recycling than non-recycling. The non-recycling is mostly the thin plastic that cannot be recycled. I am surprised that we have not done more in that area. One simple way would be to ban selling of fruit & vegetables in non-recyclable packaging. We would likely go back to the days where these were sold by loose by weight and put in paper bags. Some inconvenience is required to improve things.

Obviously this isn't the case for all plastic food packaging, and we could massively reduce it without causing food waste, but banning all non-recyclable materials would have consequences other than the being brilliantly green one.
    No, because behaviour would change accordingly. Why buy a cucumber if you don't plan to eat it? Just buy what you need.
    Well cucumbers aren't very divisible. I can buy a whole one or a half, but it then needs to stay fresh in the fridge for several days.
    edited October 2021
    RH1992 said:

RH1992 said:

Once understood it makes more sense though and much easier to work out prices. If you use miles over km it can still work the same way.

Using 6 litres at £1.42 per litre to drive 100 miles is a cost of £8.52 while 5.5 litres to drive 100 miles is £7.81.

If petrol stations simply advertised their prices in £/gallon you'd have to do even less maths.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,777
    edited October 2021

I always thought Badoit water tasted a bit funny..

"A 2004 analysis by the French Society for Radiation Protection confirms the spring water emits 70 becquerels per liter of radiation before treatment, containing 58 mg/m3 of uranium, 350 Bq/m3 of radium-226 and 713 Bq/m3 of radium-228. After treatment, it contains 5.45 mg/m3 of uranium, 28 Bq/m3 of radium 226 and 44 Bq/m3 of radium 228."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badoit

Hands up all those who know what a becquerel is.

Vaguely from Higher Physics 45 years ago. One proton/neutron ejected from a nucleus per second?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405

AlistairM said:

We get 5 or 6 cucumbers in our Riverford box each week. Unwrapped, still fresh by the end of the week.

(We use them for making fresh juice, btw.)

IanB2 said:

Well I broke the story here. And I couldn’t believe it when I saw it.

There’s a decent export market for Highland Spring and the like, which we would surely lose.

All that's happening is that we no longer recognise the EU authorities, after a grace period, so they have to apply to a UK authority.
    As this paragraph states

"As a consequence, all natural mineral waters which obtained their recognition in or by an
    EU member state will no longer be authorised for import into England as natural mineral waters, unless they are recognised as such by a responsible authority of the United Kingdom
    with the exception of Northern Ireland."

Interesting that it only applies to England. Are Scotland and Wales going to be able to have their own trade policies?
    I think they have their own Food Safety authorities. And that recognition in one does it GB-wide.
  • AlistairM said:

It's not just about consumer waste; the retailers would have much higher waste without plastic packaging.

I think we should ban non-recyclable plastics from all packaging, I just think that we should have a suitable replacement ready for fresh food before we do.

If we don't, then we will have a considerable increase in food waste. (PS - this waste would make food cost more)

DavidL said:

Keep that foreign muck out, nothing can beat the excremental tang of Brit H20.

I drink Perthshire sparkling from Tescos and even that makes me feel guilty. I kind of justify it because it is sparkling and not just plain water. It is an alternative to cans of fizzy drink. Also the delivery distance is about 25 miles. Guilt.
    Via their distribution hub in Daventry.
    Arrrgh
    https://tenor.com/view/shame-go-t-cercei-gif-5274858
    carnforth said:

Scott_xP said:

It's not banned, it's just not recognised under the old pre-Brexit scheme.

You can still import it, if you fill in more Brexit paperwork.

Another example of Brexit making life more complicated, difficult and expensive.

Yay!!!

When ScottP is the voice of reason in a thread…
    I guess the answer may be that we are happy to import EU bottled water based on their own regulations, but we would expect them equally to accept Caledonian Spring based on a UK accreditation. Seems fair to me. I wonder if we asked them?
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited October 2021

RH1992 said:

RH1992 said:

If petrol stations simply advertised their prices in £/gallon you'd have to even less maths.
    I believe it's illegal to do so and even if it wasn't I don't think many fuel stations would take up the offer given the added cost. You'd need petrol pumps to display how many gallons you're putting in so it's not just a case of putting it on the board outside.

This all stems back from the botched metrication in the 1970s. I believe manufacturers were waiting for metric distances before they changed from mpg to l/100km but that never happened while fuel began to be sold in litres, hence the ridiculous nonsense we have now.
    MattW said:

IanB2 said:

There’s a decent export market for Highland Spring and the like, which we would surely lose.

All that's happening is that we no longer recognise the EU authorities, after a grace period, so they have to apply to a UK authority.
    As this paragraph states

"As a consequence, all natural mineral waters which obtained their recognition in or by an
    EU member state will no longer be authorised for import into England as natural mineral waters, unless they are recognised as such by a responsible authority of the United Kingdom
    with the exception of Northern Ireland."

Interesting that it only applies to England. Are Scotland and Wales going to be able to have their own trade policies?
    I think they have their own Food Safety authorities. And that recognition in one does it GB-wide.
    But is the Scottish government going to be able to continue to accept EU accreditation?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

AIUI there is no ban. And I'm not clear what any fuss is about, or why the story has materialised now.

This is just replicating the regime that the EU has in place for exports of mineral water from here since the start of this year.

Here's the Government Guidance about it:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/recognition-of-natural-mineral-water-inside-and-outside-the-uk

And here is the EU Guidance:
    (Directive 2009/54/EC)
    https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/brexit_files/info_site/natural_mineral_waters_en.pdf

Telegraph report from July
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/02/eu-mineral-water-exports-uk-will-need-authorised-next-year/#:~:text="The automatic recognition for EEA,," a Defra spokesman said.

Expect an outrage bus from the FBPE corner.

If it's a technical replication/mirror of rules why the tweet about "the UK will cease to recognise and allow import of mineral water from the EU and EEA. In order to promote Britain's clean, healthy and delicious natural mineral waters". Just seems like needless pot stirring.
    Right, ok looking around it appears "Best for Britain" is an anti-Brexit group. So the tweet is composed is made to look like it supports the efforts of the Gov't, and that the action has been taken for the reasons mentioned in the tweet when in fact it's a technical detail/mirror of EU regs.
    Just nonsense from the #FBPE lot again tbh.
    “Best for Britain” is simply the latest rebranding of the People’s Vote campaign group.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

carnforth said:

Scott_xP said:

It's not banned, it's just not recognised under the old pre-Brexit scheme.

You can still import it, if you fill in more Brexit paperwork.

Another example of Brexit making life more complicated, difficult and expensive.

Yay!!!

When ScottP is the voice of reason in a thread…
    I guess the answer may be that we are happy to import EU bottled water based on their own regulations, but we would expect them equally to accept Caledonian Spring based on a UK accreditation. Seems fair to me. I wonder if we asked them?
    Absolutely. No extra admin requirement for anyone.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,586
    TimT said:

"A 2004 analysis by the French Society for Radiation Protection confirms the spring water emits 70 becquerels per liter of radiation before treatment, containing 58 mg/m3 of uranium, 350 Bq/m3 of radium-226 and 713 Bq/m3 of radium-228. After treatment, it contains 5.45 mg/m3 of uranium, 28 Bq/m3 of radium 226 and 44 Bq/m3 of radium 228."

Not as bad as Vichy.
    Claude Rains made the definitive statement on that, eight decades back.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

✋ (isn't the colloquial term 'a bugger all'?)
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

Comes out of the tap for (next to) nothing.

Some of us live in areas where water comes out of a tap but it also comes with a foam.
    And at no extra cost, sir...

Nigelb said:

Some of us live in areas where water comes out of a tap but it also comes with a foam.
    Just think of it as alcohol free beer...
    Unfortunately for me alcohol free beer is a no no for me because I'm a devout Muslim because a beer drinking friend of mine came up with analogy for alcohol free beer which I have never been able to forget.
    You good muslim also has to watch out for what is 'alcohol free'. Lots of them are less than 0.5%, but are definitely not 0%.

Me too - I teach it in 3rd year...

AlistairM said:

So lots more trips to the shops rather than one big one each week?
    Much more common years ago. My MiL bought that night's meal at lunchtime. But also many more women who didn't work and had time to pop in and out of town every day.
  • This makes me realise how lucky I am.

Penny Umbers lost the love of her life when Mark Bethel ended the relationship with no explanation.

She has never known the real reason - until now. He was told he "shouldn't be having a relationship with a white girl" and threatened by Penny's father

https://www.itv.com/news/central/2021-10-25/couple-forced-to-separate-due-to-the-colour-of-their-skin-reunite-39-years-on

AlistairM said:

Well cucumbers aren't very divisible. I can buy a whole one or a half, but it then needs to stay fresh in the fridge for several days.
    Grow smaller varieties. We encountered some mini-ones this year which the wife loved. One a day as a snack.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,974
    edited October 2021

Nigelb said:

Unfortunately for me alcohol free beer is a no no for me because I'm a devout Muslim because a beer drinking friend of mine came up with analogy for alcohol free beer which I have never been able to forget.
    You good muslim also has to watch out for what is 'alcohol free'. Lots of them are less than 0.5%, but are definitely not 0%.
    That's an outrage, one of the things that really put me off drinking was seeing a colleague get done for drink driving.

Might be a good defence, I was drinking alcohol free beer, I didn't realise it contained alcohol.

Me too - I teach it in 3rd year...
    Yep, but I couldn't contextualise it in terms of amount of material.

Nigelb said:

That's an outrage, one of the things that really put me off drinking was seeing a colleague get done for drink driving.

Might be a good defence, I was drinking alcohol free beer, I didn't realise it contained alcohol.
    Tricky. To get over the limit on normal beer, an average chap needs probably 2 pints (at say 4%). So similar in 0.5% it'll be 16 pints. Not impossible, but tricky, and you'd probably have other issues.

One thing I've always wondered - presumably accidental ingestion of alcohol (gone off fruit salad?) is allowed in Islam? Or not?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    IanB2 said:

Isn't is simply applying to EU producers what the EU has already applied to UK producers?

Nigelb said:

There are plenty of alcohol-free beers that are 0.0% – they contain no alcohol whatsoever and are clearly labelled as such.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,974
    edited October 2021

Nigelb said:

Tricky. To get over the limit on normal beer, an average chap needs probably 2 pints (at say 4%). So similar in 0.5% it'll be 16 pints. Not impossible, but tricky, and you'd probably have other issues.

One thing I've always wondered - presumably accidental ingestion of alcohol (gone off fruit salad?) is allowed in Islam? Or not?
    It's one of those messy grey areas.

I think the aim is to make sure you cannot become intoxicated then it is halal/permissible.
    Scott_xP said:

Approval of the government's handling of the pandemic has fallen 8pts since mid-Oct to just a third

Handling well: 34% (-8 from 14-15 Oct)
    Handling badly: 59% (+8)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/international/articles-reports/2020/03/17/perception-government-handling-covid-19 https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1452627605669167106/photo/1

64% of Britons now say the COVID-19 situation in the UK is getting worse, up from 35% less than two weeks ago

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/international/articles-reports/2020/05/26/perceived-national-and-global-covid-19-outlook https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1452627611214131206/photo/1

Blimey, if we needed any more evidence that we were just past the peak surely that is it.
    edited October 2021

Nigelb said:

I drink alcohol free beer*. But it has to be the "zero" rather than as you say the 0.5%.

And I always envisage being stopped by the police and saying to them words to the effect that I hope you do prosecute me for drink driving as I would make millions by suing the drinks company.

(Peroni Azzurro zero for me.)

*midweek
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094

RH1992 said:

Good point, so the obvious step is to force petrol stations to advertise their prices in £/gallon – they could also advertise in £/litre if they wished. But if they were forced to advertise in £/gallon it would be far, far easier for consumers to reckon up.
    It would make more sense to switch cars to miles per litre.

km/litre to mpg isn't so bad; my Toyota can switch from one to the other from which I can see that 50 mpg is about 17.7 km/l
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited October 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Approval of the government's handling of the pandemic has fallen 8pts since mid-Oct to just a third

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/international/articles-reports/2020/03/17/perception-government-handling-covid-19 https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1452627605669167106/photo/1

64% of Britons now say the COVID-19 situation in the UK is getting worse, up from 35% less than two weeks ago

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/international/articles-reports/2020/05/26/perceived-national-and-global-covid-19-outlook https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1452627611214131206/photo/1

Those figures are going to reverse as we see reductions to approx. 5,000 cases per week by Christmas, as per the London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-cases-could-fall-significantly-in-november-even-without-plan-b-modelling-suggests-12444117

Nigelb said:

There are plenty of alcohol-free beers that are 0.0% – they contain no alcohol whatsoever and are clearly labelled as such.
    Yep. They are "zero" branded usually.

Nigelb said:

The Heineken is even drinkable.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

FPT:
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes
    I'd argue having a good teacher is way more important than having a teacher who is the best expert in the subject.

Chemistry is physics is not at all misleading, although it might be better expressed as 'chemistry is the emergent properties of physics, and biology is the emergent properties of chemistry, and behaviour is the emergent properties of biology' etc...

My bit:
    Trying to predict the effects of molecules based purely on the laws of Physics has not had a good track record. For biology that is even more of an issue (if it weren’t we wouldn’t have to muck around with all that clinical testing of drugs; we would be able to calculate which would work and why).

Who says it's all about prediction? You can't predict any chaotic or complex adaptive system, even entirely physical ones. Witness the three body problem. Are you telling me that physical systems are not physics, because physics cannot be used to predict their properties and behaviours?

So what does your observation have to do with the validity of the statement that 'chemistry is the emergent properties of physics'? Nothing. Because science is only partly about prediction. It is mostly about explaining. And the laws of chemistry can be explained in terms of the laws of physics. And biology can be explain in terms of molecular chemistry.
    edited October 2021
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Lager top is your friend here, if they're not.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    Torsten Bell
    @TorstenBell
    ·
    1m
    The National Living Wage (minimum wage for everyone aged 23+) will rise to £9.50 in April. Good - low earners have been by far worst affected by this crisis: much much more likely to have lost their jobs (and tragically to die) than higher earners Thread
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Nigelb said:

In the last couple of years, they’ve started marketing them hard in more conservative markets.

Heineken, Budweiser, Holsten, Peroni and a few others. Did a double-take the first time I saw them in a supermarket, before realising what they were.

(Alcohol isn’t sold in supermarkets here, only in hotels and separate state-run off-licences).
    edited October 2021

Torsten Bell
    @TorstenBell
    ·
    1m
    The National Living Wage (minimum wage for everyone aged 23+) will rise to £9.50 in April. Good - low earners have been by far worst affected by this crisis: much much more likely to have lost their jobs (and tragically to die) than higher earners Thread

I think Rishi has been very clever by moving the £20 UC uplift onto employers and this is permanent, as each year the NLM will rise finally correcting the absurdity of Gordon Brown using tax payers money to support wages
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,594

Klopp Out.

His stupid tactics yesterday have screwed Liverpool.

Antonio Conte would be open to discussing taking over at Manchester United if Ole Gunnar Solskjær were sacked, while it emerged on Monday that several players are questioning whether the Norwegian can take the team any further.

Several dressing-room sources have told the Guardian that Sunday’s 5-0 capitulation to Liverpool at Old Trafford has crystallised a lack of belief in Solskjær being a good enough manager for United. The 48-year-old is considered tactically underwhelming, while being well-liked by the squad and within the wider club.

United are thought to be seriously considering Solskjær’s future after taking one point from their past four Premier League games. Joel Glazer, who heads the American family’s ownership, resides in Florida, five hours behind the UK, so any decision may be taken later on Monday. The managing director, Richard Arnold, is understood to have cancelled all appointments on Monday to hold talks with Glazer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/25/antonio-conte-keen-on-manchester-united-job-as-players-doubt-solskjaer-capability-tactics

Klopp's record is astonishing, it would mean two Everton managers and two Manchester United managers sacked after getting shellacked by Klopp's Liverpool.

West Brom were always the bellweather club for Managers (for those almost alternate years we were in the Premiership). Because we were so **** a defeat at the Hawthorns (a great rarity in itself) was normally the final nail for an under pressure manager. Sadly, this year we can't oblige.
  • DavidL said:

Vaguely from Higher Physics 45 years ago. One proton/neutron ejected from a nucleus per second?
    One decay (so alpha, beta, or gamma) per second. Not many nuclei eject protons, and you can’t detect neutrons with a GM tube.

For context, there is about 5kBq of potassium in a 70kg human, so I wouldn’t be too worried about the Badoit.
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

And I had thought you were a sensible man of good taste :disappointed:

If you'd said alcohol free Heineken is no worse than normal Heineken... Well, there I could agree.

Scott_xP said:

Those figures are going to reverse as we see reductions to approx. 5,000 cases per week by Christmas, as per the London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-cases-could-fall-significantly-in-november-even-without-plan-b-modelling-suggests-12444117
    Good luck with that.

(I hope you are correct).
    Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Modellers say we'll be ok? Now I'm worried! :wink:
    Don't worry, I'm sure there will be another set of models released shortly showing the opposite.
  • Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

I just have an instinctive feeling that we are heading down towards much reduced infections

I would just add that Rishi's budget on Wednesday, followed by COP26 is going to dominate the headlines for the next 2 weeks and by mid to late November I expect we will all be a lot happier about covid, though I doubt some on here know the word 'happy'
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Years ago the Channel 4 programme Equinox looked at bottled water to examine what minerals and contaminants they contained. As I recall it the cleanest bottled water they found was actually a UK company bottling tap water — they might have added some fizz and done some further filtration but it was basically out of the tap — rather like the Only Fools and Horses "Peckham Spring".

By all means drink bottled water for the taste or convenience, but don't kid yourself that it's any safer than what comes out of your tap.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

Nigelb said:

Most of the 0.5% beers are functionally close to zero. It's just that the process they use for making them is not guaranteed to leave them completely alcohol free.

Basically, the way 0.5% beer is made is that they make normal beer. Then they warm it to about 85 degrees centigrade, which is enough to make the alcohol (over a period of time) boil off. But that won't get all the alcohol out. It'll leave 0.1-0.2% in there. In theory there could be as much as 0.5%, but in reality is very rarely anything near that.

With true Zero beers, it's made completely differently. It's a soft drink made to taste somewhat like beer.

I prefer the 0.5% beers. What I'd really like, though, is a 1.5-2% beer. Something which is enough to give you a little bit of an alcohol kick, but not so much that your body isn't able to metabolize it all before the next drink arrives.

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

I just have an instinctive feeling that we are heading down towards much reduced infections

I would just add that Rishi's budget on Wednesday, followed by COP26 is going to dominate the headlines for the next 2 weeks and by mid to late November I expect we will all be a lot happier about covid, though I doubt some on here know the word 'happy'
    Almost on topic.

I'll have a pint of whatever you're drinking.
    Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    The Labour Party moving to demand immediate Plan B on the day cases fall, having denounced July 19th as "reckless" & inevitably going to create 100k cases per day, is indicative of a party of arrogant opportunists who learn nothing & expect never to be punished by the electorate.
  • DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Erdinger is the best tasting though it is 0.5%.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

I have a selection of pet modellers, can do you from -infinity to +infinity infections per day, quote-you-'appy-squire....
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Most of the 0.5% beers are functionally close to zero. It's just that the process they use for making them is not guaranteed to leave them completely alcohol free.

Basically, the way 0.5% beer is made is that they make normal beer. Then they warm it to about 85 degrees centigrade, which is enough to make the alcohol (over a period of time) boil off. But that won't get all the alcohol out. It'll leave 0.1-0.2% in there. In theory there could be as much as 0.5%, but in reality is very rarely anything near that.

With true Zero beers, it's made completely differently. It's a soft drink made to taste somewhat like beer.

I prefer the 0.5% beers. What I'd really like, though, is a 1.5-2% beer. Something which is enough to give you a little bit of an alcohol kick, but not so much that your body isn't able to metabolize it all before the next drink arrives.
    If you don't (want to) drink the difference between 0.5% and 0.0% is significant.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Sandpit said:

“Best for Britain” is simply the latest rebranding of the People’s Vote campaign group.

Ah yes the "not that vote, another one" berks.
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

On the last, I agree. Was lots of that in Sweden when I lived there for six months around a decade ago (supermarket limit was somewhere around there, maybe 2% or 1.5%). All very drinkable.
    edited October 2021

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Almost on topic.

@Big_G_NorthWales is probably right - so long as the booster shot campaign speeds up.

For a start, the big vector of transmission (schools) is closed for the next week. Then we have the fact that (according to some surveys) 60-70% of kids have had Covid. And finally we have the vaccination programme for younger kids. Between these, this should (a) stop kids passing Covid among themselves and then to their parents, and (b) stop the ridiculous requirement to constantly be testing kids. (Which is probably necessary, because of the parents and grandparents.)

But the UK does need to put its foot down with boosters.

There really is no excuse, given that the UK has plenty of supply of Pfizer, Moderna and AZ.

Here in LA, pretty much every pharmacy is doing boosters shots. You go onto the CVS/Walgreens/etc website, book your slot (self declaring it was more than six months since your last jab - or that you got J&J), and book a time.

We could have gotten jabbed tomorrow, but are lazy. We're getting our top up next Monday.
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

What I'd really like, though, is a 1.5-2% beer. Isn't that any of the major American beer brands? Bud, Miller ...

Edit. PS Facetious not serious comment
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

What I'd really like, though, is a 1.5-2% beer. Isn't that any of the major American beer brands? Bud, Miller ...
    Maybe in the old days. But Bud is 5%, Miller Lite is 4.2%, etc.
  • TimT said:

FPT:
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes
    I'd argue having a good teacher is way more important than having a teacher who is the best expert in the subject.

Chemistry is physics is not at all misleading, although it might be better expressed as 'chemistry is the emergent properties of physics, and biology is the emergent properties of chemistry, and behaviour is the emergent properties of biology' etc...

My bit:
    Trying to predict the effects of molecules based purely on the laws of Physics has not had a good track record. For biology that is even more of an issue (if it weren’t we wouldn’t have to muck around with all that clinical testing of drugs; we would be able to calculate which would work and why).

Who says it's all about prediction? You can't predict any chaotic or complex adaptive system, even entirely physical ones. Witness the three body problem. Are you telling me that physical systems are not physics, because physics cannot be used to predict their properties and behaviours?

So what does your observation have to do with the validity of the statement that 'chemistry is the emergent properties of physics'? Nothing. Because science is only partly about prediction. It is mostly about explaining. And the laws of chemistry can be explained in terms of the laws of physics. And biology can be explain in terms of molecular chemistry.
    Trying to explain the laws of Chemistry using the laws of Physics requires the type of Physics I didn’t encounter until my second year at university. More to the point it required the big element you have left out of this: Maths, and Maths at a higher level than even those doing Further Maths A-level would be expected to get to before their last year at school (if then).

You can hand wave it of course, but we do that at the moment; I’ve just been teaching pV = NkT and explaining how it is the same equation as the pV = nRT they learned in Chemistry. I have also found that I seem to be better at teaching the idea of the mole better than many Chemistry teachers.

I think my basic point is that if you want teachers of “Science” rather than teachers of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology then you have to accept that a lot more physicists are going to decide that they don’t want anything to do with it and so Physics is going to be taught by people who, if you are lucky, have an A-level in it, and more likely just a GCSE in double award science. Not a recipe for inspiring the next generation of physicists.
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

You need small beer!

https://theoriginalsmallbeer.com/
    Selebian said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

If you'd said alcohol free Heineken is no worse than normal Heineken... Well, there I could agree.
    I actually don't mind Heineken (proper) either. Its got a clean, fresh taste. Nowhere near a decent pale ale of course but way better than most of the rest of the mass produced stuff that bars seem to favour.
    edited October 2021

Klopp Out.

His stupid tactics yesterday have screwed Liverpool.

Antonio Conte would be open to discussing taking over at Manchester United if Ole Gunnar Solskjær were sacked, while it emerged on Monday that several players are questioning whether the Norwegian can take the team any further.

Several dressing-room sources have told the Guardian that Sunday’s 5-0 capitulation to Liverpool at Old Trafford has crystallised a lack of belief in Solskjær being a good enough manager for United. The 48-year-old is considered tactically underwhelming, while being well-liked by the squad and within the wider club.

United are thought to be seriously considering Solskjær’s future after taking one point from their past four Premier League games. Joel Glazer, who heads the American family’s ownership, resides in Florida, five hours behind the UK, so any decision may be taken later on Monday. The managing director, Richard Arnold, is understood to have cancelled all appointments on Monday to hold talks with Glazer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/25/antonio-conte-keen-on-manchester-united-job-as-players-doubt-solskjaer-capability-tactics

Klopp's record is astonishing, it would mean two Everton managers and two Manchester United managers sacked after getting shellacked by Klopp's Liverpool.

I would just add that this is not just about yesterdays shellacking by Liverpool, as bad as that was, but his results have been poor recently

He picks his favourites, cannot make obvious changes to the players or tactics and has side-lined Van de Beek and is on the way to doing the same with Jadon Sancho

Ole is a lovely person and an OT legend but yesterday confirmed it is all over for him

On Liverpool Salah is a magnificent footballer and Liverpool an excellent team

I am not sure which of Liverpool, City or Chelsea will win the league but one of them will and deservedly so
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

The latter is called "small beer" and they're becoming quite popular. Not my favourite but I can understand the market for them.
  • Scott_xP said:

Good luck with that.

I am confident to be fair

DavidL said:

One decay (so alpha, beta, or gamma) per second. Not many nuclei eject protons, and you can’t detect neutrons with a GM tube.

For context, there is about 5kBq of potassium in a 70kg human, so I wouldn’t be too worried about the Badoit.
    Hmm... not quite a pass then?
  • Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

On the last, I agree. Was lots of that in Sweden when I lived there for six months around a decade ago (supermarket limit was somewhere around there, maybe 2% or 1.5%). All very drinkable.
    @rottenborough has got there before me: small beer.

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Erdinger is the best tasting though it is 0.5%.
    Not tried that, I will keep an eye out.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

1 out of 2: you got the dimensions (time^ -1) right.
  • Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Almost on topic.

Well I am sorry to disappoint you but I am not a drinker, but do enjoy a good cup of coffee

I need a clear head to analyse my opinions but age tends to get in the way at times
  • Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    The Labour Party moving to demand immediate Plan B on the day cases fall, having denounced July 19th as "reckless" & inevitably going to create 100k cases per day, is indicative of a party of arrogant opportunists who learn nothing & expect never to be punished by the electorate.

That is a very fair comment

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Of course they do. Its just prefixed by the word "not".

TimT said:

FPT:
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes

My bit:

Trying to explain the laws of Chemistry using the laws of Physics requires the type of Physics I didn’t encounter until my second year at university. More to the point it required the big element you have left out of this: Maths, and Maths at a higher level than even those doing Further Maths A-level would be expected to get to before their last year at school (if then).

You can hand wave it of course, but we do that at the moment; I’ve just been teaching pV = NkT and explaining how it is the same equation as the pV = nRT they learned in Chemistry. I have also found that I seem to be better at teaching the idea of the mole better than many Chemistry teachers.

I think my basic point is that if you want teachers of “Science” rather than teachers of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology then you have to accept that a lot more physicists are going to decide that they don’t want anything to do with it and so Physics is going to be taught by people who, if you are lucky, have an A-level in it, and more likely just a GCSE in double award science. Not a recipe for inspiring the next generation of physicists.
    I'll accept that. And the more I reflected on my original comment, the more I think the sequencing of teaching of concepts is important too. Many of those 'linking the sciences' concepts require prior knowledge building blocks. And so it may well be more appropriate for 1st year college than for 'O' or 'A' level.
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

If you don't (want to) drink the difference between 0.5% and 0.0% is significant.
    Yeah, but you're not really getting 0.5%. That's the catch-all for "de-acoholised" beer that comes in between 0.05% and 0.5%. Most of them are going to be really at the low end of that spectrum.
  • TimT said:

TimT said:

FPT:
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes

My bit:

I'll accept that. And the more I reflected on my original comment, the more I think the sequencing of teaching of concepts is important too. Many of those 'linking the sciences' concepts require prior knowledge building blocks. And so it may well be more appropriate for 1st year college than for 'O' or 'A' level.
    Are we violently agreeing on this then?

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You're my kind of marker!

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

You need small beer!

https://theoriginalsmallbeer.com/
    Sadly they don't ship to America. But when I'm next in the UK I'll buy some.
    DavidL said:

Selebian said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

I actually don't mind Heineken (proper) either. Its got a clean, fresh taste. Nowhere near a decent pale ale of course but way better than most of the rest of the mass produced stuff that bars seem to favour.
    It's very often the only "import" in US bars and hotels. And when the choice is Miller Lite or Heineken, it's really not a choice at all.

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

@rottenborough has got there before me: small beer.
    Back in the 1970s cheap nasty keg beers had low ABV%. Ushers Bitter 3.0 and for those who preferred a lager Harp at 3.3.

And now 2.8% beers are sold as premium products. The mind is blown!

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h

This really is not the way to get the vote of smart, rational moderates* who need to be convinced on Labour (if they actually do it, of course). There were plenty of times to disagree with the government on Covid policy and be both courageous, potentially unpopular in the short term and proven right. This isn't one of them.

*like me, obviously :innocent:

TimT said:

TimT said:

FPT:
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes

My bit:

LOL. It seems we are.

My hierarchy of sciences is Information => physics => chemistry => biology => behaviour => ecology (or systems, if you prefer). I see maths not as a science per se, but as the main language to describe science. Interested in your thoughts on that.
    glw said:

Sandpit said:

Ah yes the "not that vote, another one" berks.
    They also own an APPG ("Gaps in Support"), and now have something called "UK Trade and Business Commission", which is what I think Carol Cadwalladr calls "Shadow Governance" ie you set up a fake regulatory-sounding organisation, and try to get it taken seriously.

Scott_xP said:

Good luck with that.

Is there a market on this?
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Almost on topic.

Well I am sorry to disappoint you but I am not a drinker, but do enjoy a good cup of coffee

I need a clear head to analyse my opinions but age tends to get in the way at times
    Espresso I trust? You have a good machine?

We have a Gaggia Velasca semi-automatic - which is very good but may be on its last legs.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You're my kind of marker!
    One of the big things I’ve learned in the best part of three decades of teaching is that I need to start by praising what was good about an answer before going on to suggest ways in which it could have been better.

I don’t always do that on here, but then
    a) I’m not being paid to teach anyone
    b) unless the subject actually is Physics (up to A-level) then I’m not the all-knowing expert at the front of a class of teenagers.

Scott_xP said:

Good luck with that.

As confident as you would be if Peston was forecasting the opposite?

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Almost on topic.

Me neither these days, although I like a beer with a curry occasionally. On topic, I don't drink bottled waters at all either, from wherever they may be sourced. Dwr Cymru from the tap for me everyday of the week.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

FPT:
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes

My bit:

LOL. It seems we are.

My hierarchy of sciences is Information => physics => chemistry => biology => behaviour => ecology (or systems, if you prefer). I see maths not as a science per se, but as the main language to describe science. Interested in your thoughts on that.
    If maths is grammar, science is literature.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056

IanB2 said:

Isn't is simply applying to EU producers what the EU has already applied to UK producers?
    Yes. The standard mineral water in the fancier restaurants on a recent trip to Malta was this stuff, in glass bottles:

https://llanllyrsource.com/

God knows what the carbon footprint is…
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,129
    edited October 2021
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

American beer is like making love in a canoe.

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

LOL. I presume that mean unsatisfying.
  • DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Good luck with that.

As confident as you would be if Peston was forecasting the opposite?
    Any forecast by Peston is not on my radar
  • TimT said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8aPABF7nW4
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Selebian said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

It's very often the only "import" in US bars and hotels. And when the choice is Miller Lite or Heineken, it's really not a choice at all.
    I'll accept David's defence and your amicus brief :smile:

To be fair, when I look at some of my preferred supermarket lagers (not a big mass-produced lager fan, but they have a place in summer) they tend to all be made by Heineken anyway.
  • TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

FPT:
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes

My bit:

LOL. It seems we are.

Maths is an interesting case: I think it depends on whether you think Pythagorus invented or discovered his theorem (ignoring questions about who got there first). If he discovered it then it is a science, if he invented it then perhaps an art?

Perhaps it is also significant that Sir Isaac Newton was a Professor of Mathematics; I’m fairly certain he counts as a scientist.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Premier league odds:

If you agree that the league winner will be one of three teams (at best prices book = 102%):

Man City 10/11
    Liverpool 13/5
    Chelsea 7/2

With Chelsea two points clear of Man City and a point clear of Liverpool are Chelsea value at 7/2??
  • Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

Almost on topic.

Me neither these days, although I like a beer with a curry occasionally. On topic, I don't drink bottled waters at all either, from wherever they may be sourced. Dwr Cymru from the tap for me everyday of the week.
    I will have a cider with a curry occasionally but I absolutely agree with your comments on bottled water v tap water
  • TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

One of Sir Terry’s favourite jokes I seem to remember.
  • TimT said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

It’s effing close to water…
This discussion has been closed.