Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Trump becomes betting favourite to win WH2024 – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2021 in General
imageTrump becomes betting favourite to win WH2024 – politicalbetting.com

This must be unprecedented. Donald Trump who lost the presidency in last November’s election has now become favourite to win it back in November 2024.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Bugger.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    If Biden and Trump run they'll win their respective nominations. The biggest question for both is whether or not they'll run.
    But if they do run, they'll win. Easily. Both of them.

As to who wins the presidency, I think Biden should be fav ahead of Trump. He has incumbency.

Bugger.

Do you have a big red number next to both of them ?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Ooh, another new thread! That’s three running now.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    A second Trump term without any of checks from the first could be pretty dangerous. Who knows where we would have been in January if Don Jr had been the VP.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Political assassination is of course never justified, but if I got a crowdfunding request from a chap signing himself Chacal...
  • Pulpstar said:

Bugger.

Do you have a big red number next to both of them ?
    Nope, I've avoided the main Presidential market but have some bets of Cotton and Buttigieg to win in 2024 with the bookies.

Am green on Trump and Biden to win their nominations.

I'm just worried for the world if Trump wins in 2024.
  • Looks like the Saudis want Brendan Rodgers as their manager and are willing to pay the £16 million buyout clause.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    @Pulpstar. Replying to your earlier point in the schools immunisation. Daughter got the call this week. My understanding of it is that the entire school of 750 or so (excluding the younger year 7s, who have not reached 12) will be done in a single day at the start of next term.

Once started, I think this will be turned around rapidly. It's just later than it could have been.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Pro_Rata said:

@Pulpstar. Replying to your earlier point in the schools immunisation. Daughter got the call this week. My understanding of it is that the entire school of 750 or so (excluding the younger year 7s, who have not reached 12) will be done in a single day at the start of next term.

Once started, I think this will be turned around rapidly. It's just later than it could have been.

Most schools seem to be requesting parental consent rather than entering in to a minefield of arguments, and I know of at least 1 where take up is way below 50%.
    Jonathan said:

A second Trump term without any of checks from the first could be pretty dangerous. Who knows where we would have been in January if Don Jr had been the VP.

I think he'll go for Marjorie Taylor Greene, or possibly Flynn as VP. No messing about with someone who believes in the (albeit extremely right wing) law such as Mike Pence.
    Pro_Rata said:

To clarify - after half-term, first week November.

Looks like the Saudis want Brendan Rodgers as their manager and are willing to pay the £16 million buyout clause.

He's a beautiful human being with great technique.

Hope they can afford Kolo's wages.
    Isn't it amazing that you can raise a mob to invade the Capitol, get away with that and then within a year be the favourite?

Feels like we need to reread Gibbon to chart a way through the years ahead.
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

I think he'll go for Marjorie Taylor Greene, or possibly Flynn as VP. No messing about with someone who believes in the (albeit extremely right wing) law such as Mike Pence.
    I would not be surprised for a second if it was Trump-Trump.
  • Claudia Webbe found guilty.

Oooh.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Claudia Webbe found guilty.

Oooh.

By-election?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,247
    Pro_Rata said:

My older daughter, 15, was jabbed today in N London
    maaarsh said:

Looks like the Saudis want Brendan Rodgers as their manager and are willing to pay the £16 million buyout clause.

lol they can afford anyone's wages. The bigger question is whether or not footballers will want to head there whilst they're not in the Champion's league. Also whether or not the WAGs will want to live near Newcastle.
    maaarsh said:

Pro_Rata said:

Most schools seem to be requesting parental consent rather than entering in to a minefield of arguments, and I know of at least 1 where take up is way below 50%.
    I'll be honest, if my kid had tested positive previously, I'd be asking what does this add either in terms of personal protection or herd immunity and why take the outside risk.

So 50% on first call may not be as bad as it sounds.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Betting question. If you were to lay Trump for the WH today, and he died tomorrow, what happens to the bet?
    Would they partially settle? Would my money be tied up until I decide to back him at 1000 to cash out? Would I even be able to back him or would I be stuck waiting 37 months to collect?
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

I would not be surprised for a second if it was Trump-Trump.
    I'd put "my beautiful daughter Ivanka" ahead of Don Jr or Eric tbh.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Pulpstar said:

If Biden and Trump run they'll win their respective nominations. The biggest question for both is whether or not they'll run.

As to who wins the presidency, I think Biden should be fav ahead of Trump. He has incumbency.

I don't think incumbency helps so much in an era with so much discontent with the status quo, and with the difficulty in getting anything past Congress.

It's easy to see that enthusiasm for Biden could be down, just as it was for Clinton in 2016. And then you have the election-stealing premium.

But then I was convinced there would be violence from Trump supporters on voting day that would swing the election, and instead there was an ultimately impotent attempt on January 6th that failed. So perhaps a majority will rally to defend the Republic against Trump.
    Farooq said:

Betting question. If you were to lay Trump for the WH today, and he died tomorrow, what happens to the bet?
    Would they partially settle? Would my money be tied up until I decide to back him at 1000 to cash out? Would I even be able to back him or would I be stuck waiting 37 months to collect?

The market would be suspended. Smarkets and Betdaq would reopen in a few days and Trump would head out to 1000, or possibly just instantly settle as a loser.
    Betfair would probably suspend the market for 4 years. Betfair are useless at stuff like that.
    Pulpstar said:

maaarsh said:

lol they can afford anyone's wages. The bigger question is whether or not footballers will want to head there whilst they're not in the Champion's league. Also whether or not the WAGs will want to live near Newcastle.
    Hope someone’s briefing them carefully on the Financial Fair Play rules.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    If Trump managed it he would be only the first President since Grover Cleveland, who lost his re election bid in 1888 but came back to win the 1892 presidential election, to win 2 non consecutive terms.

To avert that Biden will certainly need to get his approval rating back up over 50% or make way for a younger, centrist more dynamic candidate in 2024
  • Claudia Webbe found guilty.

Oooh.

'Claudia is a person who is very committed to ensuring justice is done'

According to her character reference from Corbyn.

Why does he feel he needs to point out that she's a person?
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Farooq said:

You would be waiting 37 months to collect.
    edited October 2021
    RobD said:

Oooh.

By-election?
    Labour had a 12% majority over the Tories even in 2019 in her Leicester East seat.

Although Peter Bruinvels did win it briefly for the Tories in 1983 but lost it again in 1987 to Keith Vaz

Oooh.

Surely he should have added "person with a cervix"?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730

Oooh.

53% Leave, and two disgraced Labour MPs on the spin… I wonder what the odds will be on a Lab hold
    HYUFD said:

If Trump managed it he would be only the first President since Grover Cleveland, who lost his re election bid in 1888 but came back to win the 1892 presidential election, to win 2 non consecutive terms.

To avert that Biden will certainly need to get his approval rating back up over 50% or make way for a younger, centrist more dynamic candidate in 2024

Is Trump's approval rating still being tracked in meaningful way?
    isam said:

Oooh.

53% Leave, and two disgraced Labour MPs on the spin… I wonder what the odds will be on a Lab hold
    Leicester council area voted 51% Remain
    edited October 2021
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

maaarsh said:

If Democrats think they can mint a trillion dollar coin to cheat the debt ceiling, perhaps the Saudi's can sell a billion dollar season ticket to someone.
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

maaarsh said:

I'm sure one of the owner's cousins can purchase 50 million shirts or something.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Oooh.

Going down, going down, going down!
    HYUFD said:

I've worried for some time that Biden needs to do something special to escape the same fate that awaited Labour/Democrats as they tried to govern in the late 1970s. Like them, he inherited a poison chalice.
    edited October 2021
    tlg86 said:

Oooh.

Guilty of one count of harrassment. Prison might be a bit harsh? But I don't know the deets
    I backed the snot out of Webbe out the GE, was a bit surprised how much her majority went down.
    Ah, I just read the details. Nasty

Probably deserves a few weeks in chokey
    Ooh, by-election in Islington Leicester?
    HYUFD said:

And it will put the numbers out by 2 - he'll be the 47th president out of 45.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,765
    tlg86 said:

Oooh.

From 2019: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50467321
    Note: "Labour said Claudia Webbe, who grew up in the city, was an "excellent" choice."

A local councillor from Islington, funnily enough. The damage Corbyn did to the party is almost incalculable, not least because the final accounts are not yet in.
  • RobD said:

Oooh.

By-election?
    Maybe or maybe not.

Depends on the sentence.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/13/mp-claudia-webbe-found-guilty-of-harassment
  • Just seen two snippets of the Webbe news on twitter, one from the Sun, the other the Guardian

See if you can guess which is which..

"GUILTY MP Ex-Labour MP Claudia Webbe found guilty of harassment after threatening to throw ACID over woman & sending nude pics"

and

"Leicester East MP was accused of making unwanted phone calls and threatening her partner’s female friend"
    …and yet another dodgy copper:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/13/police-officer-had-sex-woman-investigating-probe-finds/

“A former Metropolitan Police officer began a sexual relationship with a woman while he was investigating her, an investigation has found.

“John McCarthy, who was a detective constable at the time, began sleeping with the woman in 2017 while investigating her for harassment, a probe by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) found.”
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Interesting spat between Cummings and Frost. Cummings maintains Johnson signed the treaty without having the slightest idea what he was signing. Frost said Johnson knew exactly what he was signing. It had been thoroughly thought through.

A fine example of Frost believing its better to be thought a fool than removing all possible doubt.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Pulpstar said:

Agreed.

To be honest, I don't know who the Dems could put up who would be a stronger candidate against Trump.

Biden beat him last time, has done enough progressive things to keep them on-side, and seems to play better in key states like Pennsylvania than a lot of other Dems. Hard to know, but feels like Harris or Buttigieg might find running against Trump tougher.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,963
    edited October 2021
    Pulpstar said:

I backed the snot out of Webbe out the GE, was a bit surprised how much her majority went down.

I was told Keith Vaz was an excellent and popular MP, I reckon a lot of that drop was down to his personal vote buggering off.

Edit - IIRC Vaz is the chair of the Leicester East CLP.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Sandpit said:

Ooh, by-election in Islington Leicester?

I was planning to joke whether there was a difference, but in fact Leicester East is a relatively small majority at the moment, which is unusual or the seat since the 80s. So could be a chance for a convincing Lab win.

• algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    isam said:

Oooh.

It would be a great deal more interesting that OB and S. And with Labour having a huge amount to lose - this is not northern wall, this is essential base territory, and the Tories would see it as pretty much a free hit at an outsider's jackpot with no problem even if they lost fairly heavily (look at the 2010, 2015 and 2017 result), and the LDs out of it altogether.

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Oooh.

Leicester East voted 53% leave according to Hanretty
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    Leon said:

Cor blimey o’feckingReilly.

How on earth did that woman ever get to be a parish councillor, never mind an MP?
  • Roger said:

Interesting spat between Cummings and Frost. Cummings maintains Johnson signed the treaty without having the slightest idea what he was signing. Frost said Johnson knew exactly what he was signing. It had been thoroughly thought through.

A fine example of Frost believing its better to be thought a fool than removing all possible doubt.

The same Frost who has seen the EU capitulate over NI trade
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited October 2021
    Nice to see Shatner back down to earth. Albeit he was originally Canadian, what a different America he, and by extension his milieu of 1960's Star Trek optimism, represent to that of Trump's.
    edited October 2021

RobD said:

Oooh.

By-election?
    Maybe or maybe not.

Depends on the sentence.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/13/mp-claudia-webbe-found-guilty-of-harassment
    Not likely to be long if it was at the magistrate's, presumably, so probably alright if she is brazen enough.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Cor blimey o’feckingReilly.

How on earth did that woman ever get to be a parish councillor, never mind an MP?
    In some contested parishes at least it might well be easier to become an MP, since you only have to persuade a few dozen activists in a safe seat to back you, and not persuade half the village to back you. Though IIRC Webbe was parachuted in?
  • kle4 said:

RobD said:

Oooh.

By-election?
    Maybe or maybe not.

Depends on the sentence.

Not likely to be long if it was at the magistrate's, presumably, so probably alright if she is brazen enough.
    Like Rob Roberts I think she'll brazen it out when the reality is neither of them should be MPs.
    Sandpit said:

…and yet another dodgy copper:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/13/police-officer-had-sex-woman-investigating-probe-finds/

“A former Metropolitan Police officer began a sexual relationship with a woman while he was investigating her, an investigation has found.

“John McCarthy, who was a detective constable at the time, began sleeping with the woman in 2017 while investigating her for harassment, a probe by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) found.”

Well don't leave me hanging, what was the outcome of his investigation into her conduct?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    edited October 2021
    Roger said:

Both views are self serving. Common sense says that Boris knew what he was doing in the sense of signing up to something which would cause problems, but had no politically possible alternative but to do it and wait for the chance to refix it. Further delay was politically impossible at that time. 'No deal' was economically impossible - it was merely as PBers might say, a trading bet. There were no further options.

Of course none of this makes sense and there are 10 better ways of sorting it, but this is island of Ireland politics so normal rules don't count.

edited October 2021

Nice to see Shatner back down to earth. Albeit he was originally Canadian, what a different America he, and by extension his milieu of 1960's Star Trek optimism, represent to that of Trump's.

Indeed.

Like many jokers on Twitter, I think they should have definitely have put on 'mirror universe' costumes to welcome Shatner when he landed.

It would have delighted Shatner to realise that he had landed back in the good universe, rather than the dystopia we currently inhabit.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572

Oooh.

From Sky News. Westminster Magistrates Court heard statements on Ms Webbe's character from the former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, who described the MP as a "person of good character who makes a positive contribution".
    Pulpstar said:

Farooq said:

The market would be suspended. Smarkets and Betdaq would reopen in a few days and Trump would head out to 1000, or possibly just instantly settle as a loser.
    Betfair would probably suspend the market for 4 years. Betfair are useless at stuff like that.
    Winner, in this case, if I was laying him. If you're right, Smithson disagrees.
    I'm out, not point in tying up my money for three years.

When Trump does die (and you just know it'll be on the toilet), I reckon there would still be a number of people who would back him for Prez. If that market stays open, lay at 1000 and if you're fast you'll get matched against some Qanon mug.

Oooh.

From Sky News. Westminster Magistrates Court heard statements on Ms Webbe's character from the former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, who described the MP as a "person of good character who makes a positive contribution".
    So there’s clearly more than one type of acid involved in this case.
    12% Labour majority, average leaviness, quite Hindu, was more marginal in the past and fell in 83 (on what looks like marginally different boundaries).

Would be a worse loss than any SKS Labour defence so far.

What other by-elections are pending or possible based on known criminal investigations / proceedings at the moment? Old Bexley (sadly), Wakefield, Delyn?. Any others?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited October 2021

Oooh.

**By-Election Alert** :D
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Oooh.

Note: "Labour said Claudia Webbe, who grew up in the city, was an "excellent" choice."

A local councillor from Islington, funnily enough. The damage Corbyn did to the party is almost incalculable, not least because the final accounts are not yet in.
    She was imposed over the heads of her Constituency Labour Party, with whom she's had a toxic relationship ever since.

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Oooh.

She was imposed over the heads of her Constituency Labour Party, with whom she's had a toxic relationship ever since.
    I'm sure they are a sensible bunch given their longstanding former MP.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    First Leicester East have weirdo and bully Keith Vaz as their MP and now they have a convicted harasser.

Not going well there is it?
    GIN1138 said:

Oooh.

**By-Election Alert** :D
    Let’s say she gets less than 12 months. Presumably there’s then a recall. What do our locals think the odds are of that succeeding? Just wondering if her local CLP might actually support it so they could get someone sane in.
    So, what do we reckon the chances of a successful recall petition?

Of 3 to date 2 have been successful, with the other being damn close.

Oooh.

Tricky one for the defence. A character reference from Jeremy Corbyn. Hmmm. A plus or a minus?
    Jonathan said:

Whilst Westminster has suffered people of questionable character over the years, you have to conclude that some of our current MPs are very poor indeed.

Unlike the crop of 2005-9, some of whom were mysteriously very rich indeed…
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Is it just me or has the term BAME vanished without trace.

I believe @Leon predicted thus.
    Jonathan said:

Whilst Westminster has suffered people of questionable character over the years, you have to conclude that some of our current MPs are very poor indeed.

What would be worse: That the awful ones rise to the top, or that the ones at the top are the good ones?

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Oooh.

I think that they will be quite active in seeking a recall petition if the sentence qualifies.
    GIN1138 said:

First Leicester East have weirdo and bully Keith Vaz as their MP and now they have a convicted harasser.

Not going well there is it?

VOTE LABOUR
    Jonathan said:

Whilst Westminster has suffered many people of questionable character over the years, you have to conclude that some of our current MPs are very poor indeed.

Corbyn-esque! I deplore all kinds of bad MP

Well, you haven't vanished without a trace, so..
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    By-election in Leicester East? Huge swing to the Tories at the last election.
    Farooq said:

Well, you haven't vanished without a trace, so..
    Sorry, don’t get it.
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Oooh.

Leicester East voted 53% leave according to Hanretty
    The Remain vote would have been concentrated in Leicester South where the university is located.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

He's not as daft as he looks, mind you as it's been rumoured that he looks like Sean Trellis the completely unknown author that's not surprising.
    Andy_JS said:

Hahahaha, Ukip had a candidate there in 2015 called "Steptoe". Classic.

Oooh.

Code for gentile.
    Andy_JS said:

But if that was due to a new candidate who was not liked locally, and it was still comfortable, then it surely should be an easy hold.
    Pulpstar said:

Vaz clearly had a massive personal vote despite his various controversies.
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

What would be worse: That the awful ones rise to the top, or that the ones at the top are the good ones?
    There are some truly good, talented people in Westminster. With notable exceptions they don't seem to prosper these days.

Then there are people who seem to be able to navigate arcane party structures and weird internal cultures and find themselves elected.

• RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2021
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Oooh.

The damage Corbyn did to the party is almost incalculable, not least because the final accounts are not yet in.
    Without equivocation. He's done more damage to Labour's chances than any other person in the history of the Party. Some say Michael Foot but I think he actually did them good and gave them a reputation for integrity which has served them well ever since.
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

UKIP candidates are invariably “dirty old men”.
    George Galloway to stand if there's a by-election in LE? Seems a nailed on certainty.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    36,458 cases for England, a 3k week-on-week rise but not as bad as It thought it was going to be.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

He's still Canadian.
    Married to an American, but has a green card.
    edited October 2021
    Farooq said:

George Galloway to stand if there's a by-election in LE? Seems a nailed on certainty.

Him, Elmo, Count Binface and Lord Hope must be good friends with all the time they spend together at by-elections.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    isam said:

Oooh.

Surely you're wondering if Labour will post a record low vote share again?
    Roger said:

What Frost says in this instance is hardly of any relevance, because ihe could hardly say anything else about Johnson nor remain silent on the matter.

However, I suspect that Frost (if not Johnson) knew what he was doing, not least because the ongoing capitulation of the EU on the NI Protocol seems to bear out his judgement in signing at the time.

Basically, the EU and the parliamentary arithmetic had combined to put Johnson over a barrel in late 2019, such that Johnson was negotiating from a position of great weakness. Yet within that agreement was a get out clause, Article 16. Now that the EU's subsequent interpretation of the treaty has proved so inflexible and malign, the UK has every pretext to invoke the article at a point when the parliamentary arithmetic has shifted in the Government's favour. So our position is infinitely (careful, pedant alert...) stronger than it was 2 years ago. What we are now witnessing is the consequence of that shift in negotiating strength.

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

UKIP candidates are invariably “dirty old men”.
    The Con and LD candidates in 2019 were both called Dave - & that was their surname
    edited October 2021

isam said:

Oooh.

Surely you're wondering if Labour will post a record low vote share again?
    It crossed my mind!

27.1 in 1918 will be hard to beat

37.04 in 1983 after the seat was recreated. Still very unlikely
This discussion has been closed.