Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will the panickers stop panicking when their tanks are full? – politicalbetting.com

1789101113»

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    I was told today by the Licensed Taxi Drivers Association that an estimated 25-30% of its members haven’t been able to work today due to fuel shortages.

“We keep being told by the Department for Transport that this isn’t a crisis - but it is a crisis for people who can’t work”

https://twitter.com/HelenAnnSmith0/status/1442518605271158792
  • Sandpit said:

Just forwarded to me by the missus:

“Sperm Banks report shortage of donors, as every w@#%er in the UK is queuing at the petrol station!”

Just logged onto Facebook (not used it in ages) and my whole feed is people taking the piss out of panic buyers. Not a single one I've seen blaming Brexit or the Government or anyone other than idiots panic buying.

My favourite one was quite simple:

"Back in my day the only time we started panic buying was when the bartender yelled "last call""
    That is the dangerous echo chamber that is FB Philip. Quite a few on mine blaming Brexit. One or two trying to claim it has nothing to do with it. I don't "do" politics on FB or LinkedIn so I have resisted temptation to point out that if it has nothing to do with the government's post-Brexit policy, why are they in a flat panic themselves and have u-turned on visas for drivers? Nothing to do with Brexit? Ostriches spring to mind!
    My Facebook is somewhere I never discuss politics. Except for political events, I don't like to mix politics and real life as you can only piss people off.
  • RobD said:

isam said:

Boris second only to Blair

This govt second only to Blair's

Johnson's government about as popular as Blair's? Who'd have thunk it!
    The Metropolitan media that hate Boris and loved Blair never face up to the fact that Boris in 2019 got even more vote share than Blair 1997.

I'm disappointed with Boris lately, but there's no getting away from the fact that he does confound expectations and is popular.
    He knows he can fool some of the people all of the time.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Scott_xP said:

I was told today by the Licensed Taxi Drivers Association that an estimated 25-30% of its members haven’t been able to work today due to fuel shortages.

“We keep being told by the Department for Transport that this isn’t a crisis - but it is a crisis for people who can’t work”

There is plenty of fuel. So said a joint statement just now by the society of petrol producers or whatever they are.

Just not actually at the pumps, as it was put to us earlier.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

There is plenty of fuel. So said a joint statement just now by the society of petrol producers or whatever they are.

Just not actually at the pumps, as it was put to us earlier.
    Knowing that the bog roll factory is stacked high with the stuff does little for personal hygiene
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Scott_xP said:

If everyone who didn’t *need* petrol today, didn’t try to buy it today, there wouldn’t be a problem.

There is only a ‘crisis’ because the media arsonists are shouting fire in the theatre.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    Westminster Voting Intention (27 Sept):

Conservative 41% (–)
    Labour 35% (–)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (+2)
    Green 5% (-2)
    Scottish National Party 4% (–)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 20 Sept
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited September 2021
    Thanks for the useful comments earlier today.

Just had a trip out to what was to me a very strange Northumberland attraction (although Sunil would like ) it. To and from passed several petrol stations none of which had queues, and, so far as I could see, any 'no petrol' (or diesel) notices.
  • Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

If everyone who didn’t *need* petrol today, didn’t try to buy it today, there wouldn’t be a problem.

There is only a ‘crisis’ because the media arsonists are shouting fire in the theatre.
    Would you recommend a supine media that is told not to report that there are tanker and lorry driver shortages? Whether we like it or not, it is a story, as is the response of government.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,880
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

While you are correct, we've now reached the stage where the more sensible, level headed ones like me are filling up because if we don't we won't be able to. The wife needs to fill up today, so far our Morrisons still has diesel but she won't be there for another 90 minutes... It could be worse than watching football!
  • felix said:

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    @RedfieldWilton

Conservative 41% (–)
    Labour 35% (–)
    Green 5% (-2)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 20 Sept

Look at that - dynamite!!

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Would you recommend a supine media that is told not to report that there are tanker and lorry driver shortages? Whether we like it or not, it is a story, as is the response of government.
    It also underlines that what with Brexit and the pandemic the suggestion of impending shortages has credibility for many people. If the suggestions had no basis and were simply wild rumour or fake news, few would react to them.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

felix said:

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    @RedfieldWilton

Conservative 41% (–)
    Labour 35% (–)
    Green 5% (-2)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 20 Sept

Look at that - dynamite!!
    LD's up 25%!!!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    New thread :)
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,880

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

This is a really tricky issue. On Friday 5Live kept leading on the story 'A few BP garages have run out, but there is no need to panic buy'. This triggered the panic buying, and then once it started, as others have said, it becomes like the prisoners dilemna. Apparently the situation of some empty garages has not suddenly started but has been going on for a while, and there is a strong suggestion that someone has leaked this story for a reason i.e. the distribution companies want the government to relent and give visa to get cheaper drivers than investing in UK training.

5Live will say that they repeatedly said there is no need to panic buy, but it was too late by then. Herds act as herds.

The ones I condemn are the selfish twunks who not only filled their vehicles, but also jerry cans (one I've heard filled three!) and are in fact breaking the law transporting them in their vehicles and storing it at home.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

The report, on Thursday, came from a depot in Kent that was a few drivers short, followed by a confidential briefing to government by BP, that things were just about okay so long as there was no panic buying.

Someone leaked that message to a media outlet, and the next thing you know all the headlines are about PANIC BUYING.

Yes, it’s utterly irresponsible, ditto with significant amounts of the pandemic coverage. This fuel ‘crisis’ is a self-fulfilling prophecy, by a media more interested in clicks and retweets, than responsible journalism that might think about the effect of their words on public order. But hey, they get to bash the government, so all good.
  • Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

It's not a story. The media invented it.

No need for a supine media but one which understood that the difference between journalism and entertainment would be a good start.

If the media had spent the time they spent shouting fire reporting on that poor woman who was murdered instead then the country would be in a better place and better informed.

But I won't hold my breath. An irresponsible media is nothing new.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

It's not a story. The media invented it.

No need for a supine media but one which understood that the difference between journalism and entertainment would be a good start.

If the media had spent the time they spent shouting fire reporting on that poor woman who was murdered instead then the country would be in a better place and better informed.

But I won't hold my breath. An irresponsible media is nothing new.
    Do you think there is a fuel tanker driver shortage?
    edited September 2021
    Breaking: Lab S Cab member Andy McDonald resigns the Shad Cab and sends a stinging public letter to Starmer
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    IanB2 said:

Breaking: Lab S Cab member Andy McDonald resigns the Shad Cab and sends a stinging public letter to Starmer

In which he asks for a £15 minimum wage.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    New thread
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    I went to university in 2010 on the £3k a year fees, have been consistently paid over the median salary, and am still nowhere near paying them off.

No matter your opinions on whether 50% should be going to university or not, there is going to be a generation of young (some no longer so young) people who were told that going to university was the secret to success and encouraged at every turn who has a higher tax rate than everyone else. They are not going to be happy.
This discussion has been closed.