Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

One Current Leader. And One Future One? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2021 in General
imageOne Current Leader. And One Future One? – politicalbetting.com

After a week in which:

Read the full story here

Comments

• TazTaz Posts: 10,701
    Ooh, first
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    On at 100/1 as next PM

Just saying
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited September 2021
    Yeh. She’s definitely next.
    She’s awful though. Like a smugger, more articulate Boris.

Same sort of dodgy romantic history, too, according to that leaked Whip’s document.
  • INSA

SPD lead down from 5% to 3% over the Union.

source?
    https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

I
  • INSA

SPD lead down from 5% to 3% over the Union.

source?
    https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

I
    thanks

:smiley:
  • Yeh. She’s definitely next.

Same sort of dodgy romantic history, too, according to that leaked Whip’s document.

Sounds a bit cheesy to me.
  • While all the focus is on these small enwrgy companies, much bigger world economic issue unfolding...

Incredible story...

https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/evergrande-gave-workers-a-choice-loan-us-cash-or-lose-your-bonus-121092000049_1.html

Shit hitting fan shortly.

Yes, Boris was ruthlessly effective in crushing Rishi - the NI increase now hangs around his neck like an albatross. Of course, NI was probably Boris's idea, but all that is now forgiven because of AUUKUS and the Truss will also share in that reflected glory, so it's clear who Boris's chosen successor is.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Comprehensive article though my goodness you could use Cyclefree thread headers as a doorstop.

Agree with the central point though that Truss has joined Sunak at the front of the next Tory leader pack for now with her promotion to Foreign Secretary and her positioning on GRA
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    When Mario Balotelli played for Liverpool...mad as a box of frogs....or a bunch of Frenchman finding the aussies have screwed them over on a sub deal.

https://youtu.be/fJJ-r_hrn90

Yes, Boris was ruthlessly effective in crushing Rishi - the NI increase now hangs around his neck like an albatross. Of course, NI was probably Boris's idea, but all that is now forgiven because of AUUKUS and the Truss will also share in that reflected glory, so it's clear who Boris's chosen successor is.
    Maybe us poodles might benefit from a US/UK free trade deal? I don't think...

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,731
    Oh fuck...

Business Sec Kwasi Kwarteng: "There's absolutely no question of the lights going out or people being unable to heat their homes. There will be no three-day working weeks or a throwback to the 1970s."

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1439961593488580613
  • As an aside, the fun of the anti-gas fixation of certain greenies means if you have an electric cooker, and no gas hob, no power means not only no heating and no light, but no hot food either.

Almost as if an energy policy should focus on producing energy rather than anything else...
  • Thanks Cyclefree for your well argued header and to be honest trans is not a subject I comment on normally, but Ed Davey's interview yesterday, when he was asked why a female activist had been banned by the lib dems for 10 years, he had no response.

Today we hear Daisy Cooper is now to refer to breast feeding as chest feeding

The speaker condemns the fact Rosie Duffield is frightened to attend labour's conference and the SNP have published proposed changes to Scots law on this subject

Just why have the left got in this mess and the conservatives are right to keep out of the subject

I very much support Rishi to take over from Boris but I would equally be pleased to see Liz Truss succeed

So Boris will be sandwiched between two women?

The NI increase is supported by 41% in today's poll with 48% against
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Is she awful? I've never really understood why she provokes such strong feeling.
  • Scott_xP said:

Oh fuck...

Business Sec Kwasi Kwarteng: "There's absolutely no question of the lights going out or people being unable to heat their homes. There will be no three-day working weeks or a throwback to the 1970s."

He is providing a more grown up statement than you seem to manage

Scott_xP said:

Oh fuck...

A fair statement which would not be the poorer for the word ‘ever’ being inserted between ‘to’ and ‘manage’
    kle4 said:

Is she awful? I've never really understood why she provokes such strong feeling.
    Me neither. I think she’s okay. Never got the disdain. She was remain, accepted the result, has quietly got on with her job. She’s fine
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

Thanks Cyclefree for your well argued header and to be honest trans is not a subject I comment on normally, but Ed Davey's interview yesterday, when he was asked why a female activist had been banned by the lib dems for 10 years, he had no response.

The speaker condemns the fact Rosie Duffield is frightened to attend labour's conference and the SNP have published proposed changes to Scots law on this subject

Just why have the left got in this mess and the conservatives are right to keep out of the subject

I very much support Rishi to take over from Boris but I would equally be pleased to see Liz Truss succeed

I don't very much care who leads the Tories so long as they are well away from 10 Downing Street.

Thanks Cyclefree for your well argued header and to be honest trans is not a subject I comment on normally, but Ed Davey's interview yesterday, when he was asked why a female activist had been banned by the lib dems for 10 years, he had no response.

‘Chest feeding’ is such a bloody stupid term anyway. We all have breasts, men, women, non binary or whatever people identify as (surgical removal being the minor exception).
  • It was good to hear Kwarteng say that HMG will not bail out failing energy companies
  • Thanks Cyclefree for your well argued header and to be honest trans is not a subject I comment on normally, but Ed Davey's interview yesterday, when he was asked why a female activist had been banned by the lib dems for 10 years, he had no response.

I don't very much care who leads the Tories so long as they are well away from 10 Downing Street.
    You may have a while to wait
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    kle4 said:

Well for some on here it will because she is a Conservative, and therefore the spawn of the devil.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Scott_xP said:

Oh fuck...

That twitter thread seems to be full of self-abusing Eurogoons.
  • This is quite funny. Anyone who has ever studied the psychology of deception will particularly enjoy it. Boris Johnson fanbois will, of course, take him at his word! https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/other/boris-johnson-insists-he-s-never-told-a-single-lie-in-his-whole-political-career/vi-AAOCVyt?ocid=entnewsntp
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,252
    kle4 said:

Cringeworthy. But no more than the current incumbent. Nor the one before, to be fair.
  • kle4 said:

I quite like her. She would be a massive improvement on the current incumbent.

You may have a while to wait
    That, for someone our ages, is a worrying thought!
    Thanks for the Header, Ms Cyclefree.

I trust that things are improving at yours.

Take back control........oh, would you like to have it Uncle Sam? Oh yes, of course sir, anything you say. Which way would you like me to bend...?
  • Excellent header Ms Cyclefree - I see in Scotland the terms of debate are:

NICOLA Sturgeon has flatly dismissed criticism of her controversial gender reforms as “not valid” just days after being accused of ignoring women’s concerns.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19571909.nicola-sturgeon-dismisses-concerns-gender-reforms-not-valid/

Trust husband is on the mend.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    On topic - ish - Next Labour Leader - following Dan Jarvis's announcement today I've been picking up 42 - 44 on spreads for next leader - now down to 20 approx. You can still get 40/1 with W Hills.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Excellent header Cyclefree. Liz Truss's stance on gender identity hasn't gone unnoticed by women either.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

This is quite funny. Anyone who has ever studied the psychology of deception will particularly enjoy it. Boris Johnson fanbois will, of course, take him at his word! https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/other/boris-johnson-insists-he-s-never-told-a-single-lie-in-his-whole-political-career/vi-AAOCVyt?ocid=entnewsntp

We've all met people like this. I had a friend at uni who told many. many lies, often about things where I'd been there and knew it wasn't true. Yet he believed his own version of the truth - he didn't think he was lying, he believed what he said.
    He used to tell stories about supporting Leeds Utd and travelling to games with X (a friend of his). One year, when Swindon were on loan to the Premier League (one season only...) we played Leeds, and I took my friend and X. It was hilarious to hear X ask my friend 'So have you ever been to a Leeds match?'.
    Less hilarious was the result - a 5-0 drubbing which took our goals conceded that year to 100...

The point - sometimes liars convince themselves that what they say is true, is.

kle4 said:

I don't think she would be as popular as Rishi though, according to Yougov Truss has a net -4% rating to Sunak's +15%.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Liz_Truss?content=all
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Rishi_Sunak
  • Entirely off-topic (apologies), but I think it highlights the perils of big company organisation.

I need a suit to go on a business trip next month (as I have outgrown the ones I have...). Trip into the city didn't find jacket and trousers in correct sizes, so I ordered from M&S online.

I've just had an email from them cancelling the trousers - they're now our of stock. So I then try to cancel the jacket. Speak to someone in their bangalore call centre, no sir you can't cancel the order once you've placed it, even though we haven't yet sent it.

Sorry M&S shareholders, they are going to spend money sending me a jacket which I will then immediately return at their expense because its too difficult to have a system which allows unpicked unsent items to not be sent.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    MattW said:

Husband still unable to swallow. Or eat. Even taking the pills - cut in half - is painful. And now specks of blood, presumably from the injury, are being coughed up.

So he's going to try and get an ENT referral via his GP.

Who knew walnut halves could be so dangerous!
    edited September 2021
    36100 cases, 49 deaths

5000 case jump in England week on week.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

"Just why have the left got in this mess"

The LibDems have got into this mess because the left have got into the LibDems.
  • Entirely off-topic (apologies), but I think it highlights the perils of big company organisation.

I need a suit to go on a business trip next month (as I have outgrown the ones I have...). Trip into the city didn't find jacket and trousers in correct sizes, so I ordered from M&S online.

I've just had an email from them cancelling the trousers - they're now our of stock. So I then try to cancel the jacket. Speak to someone in their bangalore call centre, no sir you can't cancel the order once you've placed it, even though we haven't yet sent it.

Sorry M&S shareholders, they are going to spend money sending me a jacket which I will then immediately return at their expense because its too difficult to have a system which allows unpicked unsent items to not be sent.

That is ridiculous
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,123
    edited September 2021

Take back control........oh, would you like to have it Uncle Sam? Oh yes, of course sir, anything you say. Which way would you like me to bend...?
    Talking about taking back control, I hadn't realised that the currnet gas crisis is being ascribed in part to loss of control because of Brexit:

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/09/20/the-brexit-tax-how-boris-johnson-broke-his-promise-on-energy-prices/

"As Mark Haller writes for West England Bylines, the UK has elected to remain outside the EU Internal Energy Market, even though a considerable amount of the country’s energy needs are met by Europe. As a result, the UK has lost significant control over prices, losing the ability to participate in the energy auctions that determine the cost of fuel. Indeed, almost half of the UK’s gas supply is imported from the continent."
  • This is quite funny. Anyone who has ever studied the psychology of deception will particularly enjoy it. Boris Johnson fanbois will, of course, take him at his word! https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/other/boris-johnson-insists-he-s-never-told-a-single-lie-in-his-whole-political-career/vi-AAOCVyt?ocid=entnewsntp

We've all met people like this. I had a friend at uni who told many. many lies, often about things where I'd been there and knew it wasn't true. Yet he believed his own version of the truth - he didn't think he was lying, he believed what he said.
    He used to tell stories about supporting Leeds Utd and travelling to games with X (a friend of his). One year, when Swindon were on loan to the Premier League (one season only...) we played Leeds, and I took my friend and X. It was hilarious to hear X ask my friend 'So have you ever been to a Leeds match?'.
    Less hilarious was the result - a 5-0 drubbing which took our goals conceded that year to 100...

The point - sometimes liars convince themselves that what they say is true, is.
    There are definitely people like that. I think Johnson's is related to what he perceives to matter. To him, telling the truth is unnecessary and unimportant in the bigger scheme. I think he knows he lies, but he thinks it is acceptable to reach his end objective. He believes lying is OK if he gets away with it. As he has got away with it many times he will continue to do so as long as he is able. He will also continue to lie about lying.
  • Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Husband still unable to swallow. Or eat. Even taking the pills - cut in half - is painful. And now specks of blood, presumably from the injury, are being coughed up.

You both have had a terrible time and a salutary warning about walnut halves, which coincidentally my wife loves to eat
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

36100 cases, 49 deaths

Weird. Is this weather related, I wonder? Might be worth plotting dewpoint vs change in case numbers (lagged, obvs).

Excellent header Ms Cyclefree - I see in Scotland the terms of debate are:

NICOLA Sturgeon has flatly dismissed criticism of her controversial gender reforms as “not valid” just days after being accused of ignoring women’s concerns.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19571909.nicola-sturgeon-dismisses-concerns-gender-reforms-not-valid/

Yes, best of to/for husband.

And for life of me I cannot understand the hoo-hah about women's rights. Surely if anyone feels that they are a woman trapped in mans body they should take the appropriate steps.
  • Scott_xP said:

Oh fuck...

He is and he isn't. Its like when the food supply chain chiefs hold a crisis meeting and talk about it, only for the minister to rebuff it and say there is a strong supply chain so no problems.

There is no reason for a 3 day week or power shortages - if the government are prepared to accept there is a big problem and actually do anything about it. Our problem is that their usual response is "what crisis" and do nothing.
    edited September 2021

36100 cases, 49 deaths

Weird. Is this weather related, I wonder? Might be worth plotting dewpoint vs change in case numbers (lagged, obvs).
    Spread in schools or uni students starting to go back would be my guess. Its quite a jump week on week, but just have to wait and see.

Might be something, might be nothing.
  • HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I don't think she would be as popular as Rishi though, according to Yougov Truss has a net -4% rating to Sunak's +15%.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Liz_Truss?content=all
    Down to public recognition perhaps?
    Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Ouch.
  • Carnyx said:

Talking about taking back control, I hadn't realised that the currnet gas crisis is being ascribed in part to loss of control because of Brexit:

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/09/20/the-brexit-tax-how-boris-johnson-broke-his-promise-on-energy-prices/

"As Mark Haller writes for West England Bylines, the UK has elected to remain outside the EU Internal Energy Market, even though a considerable amount of the country’s energy needs are met by Europe. As a result, the UK has lost significant control over prices, losing the ability to participate in the energy auctions that determine the cost of fuel. Indeed, almost half of the UK’s gas supply is imported from the continent."
    Brexit? Surely not!
  • Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

You both have had a terrible time and a salutary warning about walnut halves, which coincidentally my wife loves to eat
    I shall be more careful. I own a Walnut tree, so do consume quite a few!
    Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

In my working life I used occasionally to have to make a liquid form of a solid medication. Not always possible, of course, and many pharmacies would not now have the necessary equipment or ingredients, but it might be worth a try.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Scott_xP said:

Oh fuck...

He is and he isn't. Its like when the food supply chain chiefs hold a crisis meeting and talk about it, only for the minister to rebuff it and say there is a strong supply chain so no problems.

There is no reason for a 3 day week or power shortages - if the government are prepared to accept there is a big problem and actually do anything about it. Our problem is that their usual response is "what crisis" and do nothing.
    Given a path with multiple options, Boris will wait until only a single option is left and go choose that one.

We've seen that happen so often in the past 18 months, I'm surprised most people don't fully understand the playbook.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited September 2021

Scott_xP said:

Oh fuck...

Just as a matter of interest did you listen to him live in the HOC just now

He categorically called out those suggesting 3 day weeks and power shortages as alarmist, unhelpful, and completely misguided

Furthermore HMG will not bail out failing energy companies

He is also to have a conference with Ofgem later today
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394

If I was Labour I would be worried about this. Both Rishi and Liz Truss look very electable in a post-Boris landscape not least because they are so utterly different from him while having pretty strong and positive profiles themselves. First rule of politics - you must define your opponent in your own terms. Labour have failed to do this with either Sunak or Truss.

The next election, of course, will be all about Boris. Given that both Sir Keir and Sir Ed are so extraordinarily lacking in personality, "vision", or anything positive at all, it's difficult to imagine anything other than Boris bulldozing them come the day. What a contrast with Major vs Blair and Ashdown in 97.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Down to public recognition perhaps?
    That does not make much difference to net ratings though unless she gets a sudden surge in favourables and no rise in negatives at the same time

He categorically called out those suggesting 3 day weeks and power shortages as scaremongering and it will not happen

Just like a border in the Irish Sea...
    @HTAnews @FT @JudithREvans Interesting part of this is that horticulture is one of the few sectors that has ALREADY experienced checks and controls of the kind that UK govt delayed again earlier this month...and it's been v painful. £30m-£50m a year even before full port-side checks come in. 2/2 https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1439970824182763521/photo/1
    edited September 2021
    Scott_xP said:

He categorically called out those suggesting 3 day weeks and power shortages as scaremongering and it will not happen

It wasn't a lie. He was mistaken. Events overtook him.

Or something like that.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

So do I. Doesn't produce any nuts though. Any advice on how the prune/manage one?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,847

Entirely off-topic (apologies), but I think it highlights the perils of big company organisation.

That's annoying. M&S are the dog of my portfolio. I'm hoping for a takeover but I suppose the government would block it.

"Hands off our Marks & Sparks! ... Boris tells foreign raiders where they can go"
    edited September 2021

If I was Labour I would be worried about this. Both Rishi and Liz Truss look very electable in a post-Boris landscape not least because they are so utterly different from him while having pretty strong and positive profiles themselves. First rule of politics - you must define your opponent in your own terms. Labour have failed to do this with either Sunak or Truss.

The next election, of course, will be all about Boris. Given that both Sir Keir and Sir Ed are so extraordinarily lacking in personality, "vision", or anything positive at all, it's difficult to imagine anything other than Boris bulldozing them come the day. What a contrast with Major vs Blair and Ashdown in 97.
    Boris will certainly easily win another majority in England, however on current polling probably not in the UK which is why the next election is still too close to call.

Biden was a doddery geriatric and still beat Trump on an anti Trump vote, Hollande was dull as ditchwater but beat Sarkozy in 2012 on an anti Sarkozy vote, Starmer is dull as ditchwater but he gives Labour a chance as he will get the anti Boris vote without having the anti Corbyn votes Labour faced in 2019 for the Tories and LDs.

Boris will almost certainly lead the Tories into the next election, Sunak, Truss, Patel etc would have to wait until after that election to take over either as the next PM or as Leader of the Opposition
  • Excellent article Cyclefree and I wish I'd bet on Truss. As it stands she'd be far and away my preferred PM. Much better than either Boris or Starmer.

And indeed she does have a quite effective way of getting on with the job. It's worth noting that despite her been in the Cabinet for almost a decade continuously and being one of the longest serving Cabinet ministers now ... Almost the only criticism levelled at her is the awkward way she spoke at her first Conference.

Not even that what she said was wrong. She's spent the last couple of years seeking to open up markets as she said in that maiden Conference speech.

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

So do I. Doesn't produce any nuts though. Any advice on how the prune/manage one?
    Used to be said that you had to beat them. There's an old rhyme which in deference to Ms Cyclefree I won't repeat.

Excellent header Ms Cyclefree - I see in Scotland the terms of debate are:

Yes, best of to/for husband.

And for life of me I cannot understand the hoo-hah about women's rights. Surely if anyone feels that they are a woman trapped in mans body they should take the appropriate steps.
    Like in alien.
  • Scott_xP said:

Dreary me
  • kle4 said:

Well for some on here it will because she is a Conservative, and therefore the spawn of the devil.
    and?....
  • Scott_xP said:

@HTAnews @FT @JudithREvans Interesting part of this is that horticulture is one of the few sectors that has ALREADY experienced checks and controls of the kind that UK govt delayed again earlier this month...and it's been v painful. £30m-£50m a year even before full port-side checks come in. 2/2 https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1439970824182763521/photo/1

Do you ever get down that your enormous anti Brexit output has no effect
  • Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Interesting. Ours just started "fruiting" (is that the right term?) a few years ago and hasn't stopped since. We get hundreds of nuts. I am told it is quite good to be fairly savage with pruning, but we never have been. I planted it myself and it has been there almost twenty years I guess. I am not sure whether they have to cross pollenate, so maybe to do with you not having others in vicinity perhaps?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764

I think she has an interesting romantic history. But, nothing that would be considered unethical in this day and age.

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Used to be said that you had to beat them. There's an old rhyme which in deference to Ms Cyclefree I won't repeat.
    Bob flowerdew says the point of beating a walnut tree is not fruit, it's to produce a more interesting burr in the timber.
    US, China and India snub Boris Johnson’s climate meeting https://www.politico.eu/article/us-china-and-india-snub-boris-johnsons-climate-meeting/
  • HYUFD said:

Boris will certainly easily win another majority in England, however on current polling probably not in the UK which is why the next election is still too close to call.

Biden was a doddery geriatric and still beat Trump on an anti Trump vote, Hollande was dull as ditchwater but beat Sarkozy in 2012 on an anti Sarkozy vote, Starmer is dull as ditchwater but he gives Labour a chance as he will get the anti Boris vote without having the anti Corbyn votes Labour faced in 2019 for the Tories and LDs.

Boris will almost certainly lead the Tories into the next election, Sunak, Truss, Patel etc would have to wait until after that election to take over either as the next PM or as Leader of the Opposition
    'A week is a long time in politics'

Maybe you should hang that in front of your pc
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,334
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

in his dreams...

(sticks fingers down throat)
  • HYUFD said:

The phrase "almost certainly" always interests me.
    edited September 2021

HYUFD said:

Maybe but the current polling is clear, there would be a hung parliament in the UK if there was an election tomorrow.

The Tories would win most seats again but lose their majority and the DUP and Unionist parties in NI or the SNP and LDs would have the balance of power
  • Boris and UN Secretary General about to give a live joint broadcast from the UN
  • As apparently its still a topic I have now watched Marr from Sunday. Davey points out that he has no involvement in complaint cases and doesn't know anything about it. Marr is reading out a single line and saying "its true" - fine, in what context?

Davey keeps trying to take this back to the actual issue - how do we detoxify the debate? A "trans man is a man" position is not "so women who disagree can go away" - its needing a debate. As I said the other day society will find a balance that works, as it has over gay marriage.

Scott_xP said:

Do you ever get down that your enormous anti Brexit output has no effect
    I don't spend much time chasing up opinion poll results but I believe that current opinion, as measured by reasonable polling companies, is that while Rejoin does not yet have a majority, having left is considered a mistake.
  • Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Hope he gets the referral and on the mend soon.

I know your final line was rhetorical but one of the most shocking things to learn after becoming a parent was that grapes can be fatal to young children.

Anything getting lodged in the throat is a horrifying concept. Hope there's a full recovery soon.
  • IshmaelZ said:

in his dreams...

(sticks fingers down throat)
    It isn't a nice thought, but it probably is more in his recollection than his dreams
  • Scott_xP said:

US, China and India snub Boris Johnson’s climate meeting https://www.politico.eu/article/us-china-and-india-snub-boris-johnsons-climate-meeting/

China and India - no surprise. But I would have expected something a bit better from Uncle Joe. It's conceivable he's forgotten about AUUKUS already.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,457

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Interesting. Ours just started "fruiting" (is that the right term?) a few years ago and hasn't stopped since. We get hundreds of nuts. I am told it is quite good to be fairly savage with pruning, but we never have been. I planted it myself and it has been there almost twenty years I guess. I am not sure whether they have to cross pollenate, so maybe to do with you not having others in vicinity perhaps?
    I have an absolutely huge walnut tree (at the base it has a large hollow), that produces enormous amounts of nuts, but I never see any of them, other than the ones the squirrels drop from the tree. The b******ds.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764
    edited September 2021
    A good article, Cyclefree. I don't know why it should be so hard to call out and condemn threats of violence against MPs who are women. You don't get a pass for threatening to kill and rape people by being on the "progressive" side of any debate.
  • Scott_xP said:

Dreary me
    That's harsh on yourself Big G.

Dearie me, possibly?

Scott_xP said:

China and India - no surprise. But I would have expected something a bit better from Uncle Joe. It's conceivable he's forgotten about AUUKUS already.
    No China and India and US then for this meeting led by Boris and the UN Sec General, nonetheless Boris has the consolation prize he will therefore finally be world king for the day by default
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe but the current polling is clear, there would be a hung parliament in the UK if there was an election tomorrow.

The Tories would win most seats again but lose their majority and the DUP and Unionist parties in NI or the SNP and LDs would have the balance of power
    The current polling is utterly irrelevant to the future

A week is a long time in politics

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The current polling is utterly irrelevant to the future

A week is a long time in politics
    If current polling was irrelevant to be fair there would be little point in much of this site
  • Scott_xP said:

Oh fuck...

Just as a matter of interest did you listen to him live in the HOC just now

He categorically called out those suggesting 3 day weeks and power shortages as alarmist, unhelpful, and completely misguided

Furthermore HMG will not bail out failing energy companies

He is also to have a conference with Ofgem later today
    I didn't hear him, and I agree with the need to calm down "alarmist" fears. Governments will always call for calm, but they do need to be actually dealing with the issue. And this government has a track record of not dealing with anything until it is too late.

We shouldn't bail out energy companies - there is a supplier of last resort process which works (I know...). Its the industrial side they should be concerned about.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

In my working life I used occasionally to have to make a liquid form of a solid medication. Not always possible, of course, and many pharmacies would not now have the necessary equipment or ingredients, but it might be worth a try.
    He's on co-amoxicillin. He cannot even swallow his own saliva. He tried taking Boots Honey, Lemon and Glycerin linctus but had to give up. Cold water is all he can take. We are hoping that once the antibiotics have done their magic the throat will open up. But if this does not happen .... back to the doc he goes. I worry that something else is going on but the ENT guy did not see anything.

It is very odd and a bit worrying. It seems such a silly thing to have caused all this hoo-ha.

The one good thing that has happened is that yesterday he got to meet Piet Oudolf, the Dutch garden designer, as part of a project, for which there is funding to create some sort of High Line (or similar) in the area on disused railway lines etc. All part of a wider project to showcase the beauty of this area, attract tourists, regenerate etc. Husband is involved in this and I hope to be too - given my interest in all things garden-related. It will be great if it comes off.
  • Boris live on Sky from the UN now
  • kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

I have an absolutely huge walnut tree (at the base it has a large hollow), that produces enormous amounts of nuts, but I never see any of them, other than the ones the squirrels drop from the tree. The b******ds.
    https://www.survivalsullivan.com/squirrel-recipes/
    Sean_F said:

I think she has an interesting romantic history. But, nothing that would be considered unethical in this day and age.
    Also, so far as I know, she has not scattered children all over the realm like a sower in a parable.
    edited September 2021
    kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Can't you put a net over it? I realise you say it's 'huge'.
  • Scott_xP said:

Boris referred to Biden just now referring to his meeting with Biden at the White House tomorrow

kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Can't you put a net over it?
    A whole tree? With squirrels? It's difficult enough having a METAL mesh on a bird feeder with the little sods around.
    France has threatened to veto and block an EU free trade agreement with Australia over the cancellation of a €50 billion submarine deal following last week’s AUKUS security alliance
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/submarine-row-france-threatens-to-block-eu-trade-deal-with-australia-fbz8gjfc3?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1632151452
  • HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

No China and India and US then for this meeting led by Boris and the UN Sec General, nonetheless Boris has the consolation prize he will therefore finally be world king for the day by default
    I've forgotten. Is the UN still a thing or, like the EU and NATO, is Boris about to supplant it with another organization with him in charge?
This discussion has been closed.