Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Gavin Williamson has done another whoopsie – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2021 in General
imageGavin Williamson has done another whoopsie – politicalbetting.com

It's an easy mistake to make. I quite often get Gavin Williamson confused with Frank Spencer.Hat tip to Northern Al on PB. https://t.co/DR3W2qFs8M

Read the full story here

Comments

• So is the dead alpaca actually a dead cat? It's so hard to keep up.

Oh, and first?
  • He has been and is a total embarrassment

Boris axe him now
  • I might be wrong but I believed Foxy to be a woman? Many apologies if I am wrong
  • So we have a policy that the public hate by a Government they increasingly hate and with a PM they increasingly hate.

I am feeling confident about my bet
  • I might be wrong but I believed Foxy to be a woman? Many apologies if I am wrong

All man, well he was when I met him in 2015.
  • So we have a policy that the public hate by a Government they increasingly hate and with a PM they increasingly hate.

I am feeling confident about my bet

The problem is people will still vote by Brexit identification, especially with a little prompting and manufactured rows with the EU come 2023. Government competence and likeability are secondary factors now.
  • As an aside on Cummings, and I don't think i have seen any commentator make this point. But if Cummings was still senior aide and advisor then yesterday's social care and NHS announcement would not have happened.

We would still be in dither mode.
  • Previous

Good thread, Philip. I forgot to say earlier.

Oh, consider me an idiot then. Sorry
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

I might be wrong but I believed Foxy to be a woman? Many apologies if I am wrong

Just wishful thinking on your part.

Previous

“This will make care workers pay go down”

Not for anyone already on the minimum wage and not even getting travel allowance.

Did he confirm that or did you assume that about them?
  • gealbhan said:

Previous

Not for anyone already on the minimum wage and not even getting travel allowance.
    Yes it will, even those already on minimum wage will have employee NI deductions.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112
    FPT re alpacalypse: the strangling stuff surprised me so much I had a look. Seems to refer in fact to the supposedly inappropriate, and therefore choking, restraints used en route to the slaughterhouse (or wherever).

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/defra-government-campaigners-boris-johnson-animal-and-plant-health-agency-b953293.html

Also this just out:

https://news.sky.com/story/geronimo-the-alpaca-did-not-have-tb-owner-claims-as-chief-veterinary-officer-insists-post-mortem-showed-tb-like-lesions-12402190

'However, the chief veterinary officer denied these claims and insisted a "number of TB-like lesions were found" and are being further tested.

Dr Christine Middlemiss said: "These tests include the developing of bacteriological cultures from tissue samples which usually takes several months - we would expect to complete the full post-mortem and culture process by the end of the year."'
  • This is totally in keeping with what one would expect from Pike....
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112

I might be wrong but I believed Foxy to be a woman? Many apologies if I am wrong

I like that empirical precision.
  • Nigelb said:
    That universal credit cut has come at the perfect time.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited September 2021
    Point of order.
    The Maginot Line was unbreached. The Germans merely went round it.
    It was not, fundamentally, totaly useless and entirely unfit for purpose, displaying its inadequacies on a daily basis.
    An apology for the comparison with Williamson is in order before it sues.

So is the dead alpaca actually a dead cat? It's so hard to keep up.

Oh, and first?

if you place an alpaca and something that could kill the alpaca in a box and sealed it, you would not know if the alpaca was dead or alive until you opened the box.

DEFRA said he had Tb and couldn’t live more than 9 months about 4 years ago. We know it’s traditional for the farming community to hate badgers, song birds etc but does this show traditional farming actually has issues with the modern farming and alpaca fad etc?

Why do the traditional and very commercial “big farma” industry so hate the alpaca keepers? A silly fad that is actually risk to a proper industry? 🤔
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but....looks like a paper trail on US funding of Bat Coronavirus research at Wuhan, particularly infection capacity in human cells.

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/06/new-details-emerge-about-coronavirus-research-at-chinese-lab/

https://twitter.com/antonioregalado

Though you might all have discussed it already.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    Nigelb said:
    Sad, bad, mad.
  • Nigelb said:
    "The Taliban have changed", says Boris Johnson.

Imagine if Starmer said that?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    edited September 2021
    Nigelb said:
    Which means, very sadly, that the Afghan cricket team cannot play test matches any more. The cricket authorities insist that there must be a women's team as well as a mens. I believe they can still p[lay international cricket, though. Just not Tests, or compete in such things as the 20/.20 World Cup.
    A great pity.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    Look, he met a black man on zoom, what's all the fuss about?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FPT on diabetes:

Last year just before the pandemic hit, I was diagnosed, based on my A1C and glucose numbers, with type 2 diabetes and put on metformin. Fortunately I had not developed symptoms and was still making my own insulin, etc.

I immediately embarked on a fairly strict low-carbohydrates diet plus increased exercise. It was not full keto by any means, and wasn’t intended to be particularly low-calorie but did reduce my calorie intake somewhat.

Three months later I’d lost ~40lbs and my A1C and glucose numbers were back to normal. My GP took me off the metformin and told me to maintain my weight at my new level, so we made the diet a bit less strict but still fairly low carb. My numbers have remained normal.

gealbhan said:

Previous

Yes it will, even those already on minimum wage will have employee NI deductions.
    That’s outrageous!
  • https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1435545170779549700

This Government is ideologically and morally bankrupt.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    The maginot line did the job it was supposed to do. Stop a DIRECT German attack on France.

Williamson shouldn’t be compared.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    Nigelb said:
    No surprise the new Taliban no different to the old

Nigelb said:
    "The Taliban have changed", says Boris Johnson.

Imagine if Starmer said that?
    Until they publicly execute them in football stadiums for the crime of being female, then Boris remains factually right?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited September 2021
    edit
  • The maginot line did the job it was supposed to do. Stop a DIRECT German attack on France.

Williamson shouldn’t be compared.

Fake news. It was designed to stop the Germans invading France, like the Titanic was unsinkable, it was rubbish notion.
    rpjs said:

FPT on diabetes:

Last year just before the pandemic hit, I was diagnosed, based on my A1C and glucose numbers, with type 2 diabetes and put on metformin. Fortunately I had not developed symptoms and was still making my own insulin, etc.

I immediately embarked on a fairly strict low-carbohydrates diet plus increased exercise. It was not full keto by any means, and wasn’t intended to be particularly low-calorie but did reduce my calorie intake somewhat.

Three months later I’d lost ~40lbs and my A1C and glucose numbers were back to normal. My GP took me off the metformin and told me to maintain my weight at my new level, so we made the diet a bit less strict but still fairly low carb. My numbers have remained normal.

Bro-in-law had a similar experience.
  • https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1435545170779549700

From the article it doesn't sound like any of the provisions of the agreement were changed, just a recital about the parties meeting their Paris commitments rather than their Paris temperature targets.

Nigelb said:
    Which means, very sadly, that the Afghan cricket team cannot play test matches any more. The cricket authorities insist that there must be a women's team as well as a mens. I believe they can still p[lay international cricket, though. Just not Tests, or compete in such things as the 20/.20 World Cup.
    A great pity.
    An opportunity for gaining asylum and a county contract?
    edited September 2021
    Opinium finds voters overall oppose the NI rise 45% to 33% but Tory voters still support it 49% to 33%.
    https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1435601638832680966?s=20

However voters also oppose raising income tax 36% to 27% and using more money from individuals estates by 41% to 18% and also oppose cutting spending elsewhere and raising VAT and borrowing more. Though by 43% to 18% they back raising CGT
    https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1435602395908739072?s=20
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    rpjs said:

FPT on diabetes:

Fantastic well done you 40lbs is quite some number of lbs.
    gealbhan said:

Nigelb said:
    A great pity.
    Wouldn't be at all surprised. Not just in UK, too.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    gealbhan said:

Nigelb said:
    A great pity.
    You can bet the best of the best will be eyeing up India. Or Oz.
    An opportunity to be a pro in the Bolton League, perhaps.
    For whom? Tax hikes was and currently is Labour policy.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

considered
  • HYUFD said:

Opinium finds voters overall oppose the NI rise 45% to 33% but Tory voters still support it 49% to 33%.

However voters also oppose raising income tax 36% to 27% and using more money from individuals estates by 41% to 18% and also oppose cutting spending elsewhere and raising VAT and borrowing more. Though by 43% to 18% they back raising CGT

That is very interesting as apart from raising capital gains tax, the public oppose every other option including raising money from people's estates

In other words people do not like paying tax, nor using their home for social care
  • gealbhan said:

For whom? Tax hikes was and currently is Labour policy.
    And with the present shortages in various jobs unemployment is not going to be an issue going forward
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    Interesting thing is the team correcting the mistake.

Are they out to get him? (make sure the blunder is noticed)

Or an inept attempt to head off trouble later if someone asks Rashford whether he ever spoke to Williamson? (not that smart, it's a story now rather than a risk of a story later and the later story could be less bad - Williamson admits he didn't speak to Rashford, poor memory, without noting that he confused him for another balck man)

If the team are doing this on purpose and without apparent fear of recrimination, then maybe they think/know he is toast?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited September 2021

Well he wasn't when I met him in a Broxtowe pub a few years back. But I can't assume that's the case now ;)
    edited September 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Well he wasn't when I met him in a Broxtowe pub a few years back. But I can't assume that's the case now ;)
    When we could have pb get-togethers? Not that I ever managed to get to one.
  • Selebian said:

Interesting thing is the team correcting the mistake.

Are they out to get him? (make sure the blunder is noticed)

Or an inept attempt to head off trouble later if someone asks Rashford whether he ever spoke to Williamson? (not that smart, it's a story now rather than a risk of a story later and the later story could be less bad - Williamson admits he didn't speak to Rashford, poor memory, without noting that he confused him for another balck man)

If the team are doing this on purpose and without apparent fear of recrimination, then maybe they think/know he is toast?

Let us hope so
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:
    “Care workers already on minimum wage will have employee NI deductions“

Why isn’t everyone in the Tory party live on Twitter cutting up their membership cards? Such a thing is unsupportable surely? Totally outrageous? Is doing that the very building blocks of levelling up?

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1435545170779549700

high praise for the creeps to only have those tags
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    What was the notional swing, does anyone know, between baxtering the polls when tmay called her GE vs the actual result? If replicated now would it yield a lab Maj?
    Pulpstar said:

No more details please
  • IshmaelZ said:

What was the notional swing, does anyone know, between baxtering the polls when tmay called her GE vs the actual result? If replicated now would it yield a lab Maj?

Didn't say yesterday as we have not spoken for some time properly, hope you are well
  • HYUFD said:

That is very interesting as apart from raising capital gains tax, the public oppose every other option including raising money from people's estates

In other words people do not like paying tax, nor using their home for social care
    Of course they don't.

Which is why populists of the left and right eventually run out of money to spend.

And why wiser politicians don't promise a free moon on a stick if they expect to win.

Surely, even back in 2015, PB meetups were sufficiently woke that everyone wore a badge with preferred pronouns? :wink:
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Didn't say yesterday as we have not spoken for some time properly, hope you are well
    V well thanks, slightly tubby but learning to live with it. You?
  • Selebian said:

Surely, even back in 2015, PB meetups were sufficiently woke that everyone wore a badge with preferred pronouns? :wink:
    Well a future Tory MP was in attendance at the 2015 Broxtowe meet up.....
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited September 2021

Pulpstar said:

When we could have pb get-togethers? Not that I ever managed to get to one.
    The last one (OF sorts) was a zoom when the POTUS election was on. Having backed Biden I felt distinctly ill when Florida, and other big states on the day GOP votes were rolling in.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    FPT:

Cookie said:

Interesting that I found much to agree with Philip Thompson's article, but was delighted at the headline. I very much hope that people of such far right English nationalist views as Philip take his lead and leave the party that I was once a member of, so that it can return to a more sane and moderate version of its current populist far right self. If that happens and there are less people that share Philip's views I might just re-join.

For the umpteenth time I'm not far right.

I'm very right economically, but very "woke" socially.

The only peg you claim I'm 'far right' on is I backed Brexit (as did 52% of the country), and rejected Mays deal (as did a majority of the Commons 3 times).

Set views on Brexit aside what have you ever had to object to that I've ever written? I am and always have been a liberal Conservative.
    You have claimed to be a "libertarian" conservative, which is very very different to a liberal Conservative. Libertarian Conservatism used to be a very small grouping in the conservative party and it is very much on the furthest right wing of the party, it is now more powerful. Your views often seem very confused, and perhaps the politest view is that you are "on a journey". As I have said before, someone who is anti-monarchy, anti-countryside, and in favour of the breakup of the UK is not a conservative. You are a right wing populist, not a Conservative, and definitely not liberal.

Very good article though and agreed with much of it.
    There's a risk of No-true-Scotsman-ing here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

There are far more ways of looking at the world than there are labels. Being a Conservative - or even voting Conservative - does not mean you approve of everything the Conservative Party does. Voting Labour doesn't mean you disapprove of everything the Conservative Party does.

I agree with Philip on some things (e.g. taxation, Brexit, the monarchy) and disagree on others (public transport, the countryside). That doesn't mean that his views - or mine - are confused. Just that having a set of views on thing 1 doesn't imply an easily identified set of views on thing 2.
    Sorry I think you are confused, at least about the point I was making. There is a big difference between BEING a Conservative and VOTING Conservative. It is pretty strange to be an anti-monarchy, anti-countryside, anti-planning laws, in favour of the break up of the UK Conservative. These things are completely at odds. It is like claiming to be a Liberal and at the same time being a racist who is in favour of sending migrants "back home".

One might vote Conservative to keep Corbyn out (perfectly reasonable) and hold any views, but one cannot claim to be "a" Conservative. He is a libertarian populist who votes Conservative.... but now says he won't.
    Without wanting to be belligerent, I think my broader point holds: there are such a multiplicity of things to have views on that if you need to be entirely consistent to fit in one of the six or seven identifiable political positions most people are going to exclude themselves from all of them.

I don't want to go all woke on this, but I think the best answer to 'is x a Conservative' (or a liberal, or a socialist, or a libertarian, or a communist, or a fascist') is 'yes, if he identifies as one.'

There are all sorts of examples of people whose views do not seem to correlate neatly with their chosen label.
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:
    Sad, bad, mad.
    Fruitcakes, loons and (un)closeted sexists :unamused:

Does put our ideological battles here in a bit of perspective. Should we or should we not be in the EU? Not the end of life as we know it, is it?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    On thread - why does Gavin Williamson (and politicians in general, but Gavin Williamson in particular) do the job? It can't possibly be enjoyable, being a constant figure of mockery. It's very hard work. I can't see any way in which the rewards outweigh the disbenefits.
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

V well thanks, slightly tubby but learning to live with it. You?
    I am sure you're looking great. I am trying not to melt in the heat!
  • Cookie said:

On thread - why does Gavin Williamson (and politicians in general, but Gavin Williamson in particular) do the job? It can't possibly be enjoyable, being a constant figure of mockery. It's very hard work. I can't see any way in which the rewards outweigh the disbenefits.

Did you not notice how many different jobs Gavin/Frank tried out for?
  • Would anyone like to disagree on my painting myself as a traditional Labour leftist, if so I would like to know why :)
    Cookie said:

It keeps him out of his house? From under his wife's feet?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

Times change.

I always find it polite to make sure that I am not misgendering people, so I like to start each conversation with "[x], how nice to see you. Tell me, how do you self identify these days?"

Of course, there are limits to this. One shouldn't ask more than once (or at most twice) per day.
    edited September 2021
    Cookie said:

He got 2 Es at A level allegedly and was a fireplace salesman before.

I doubt he got the £81,932 + expenses he gets now before being elected as an MP.

Some MPs take a paycut eg Gauke or Archie Norman or David Laws and return to the private sector soon after, others like Williamson I imagine got a payrise becoming an MP
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:
    Yes, theyd actually avoid attention from every day tyrannical rule and allow more to hold their noses about them if they could contain this kind of impulse.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Texas Governor: Abortion Law Doesn’t Need Rape Exception, Victims Have Six Weeks Like Everyone Else
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/09/texas-governor-abbott-rape-exception-comments-abortion-law.html
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited September 2021
    It must be difficult for Labour to oppose tax rises. Not a situation they probably expected to find themselves in.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Cookie said:

Tbh I think this is true of being an MP in general, but for ones in the spotlight for being out of their depth I particularly agree with you.
  • Andy_JS said:

It must be difficult for Labour to oppose tax rises. Not a situation they probably expected to find themselves in.

Only if you assume they are Corbyn's Labour which this Labour evidently is not.

I see no reason why a social democratic Labour cannot support tax rises that are progressive to fund good public services, but oppose taxes that impact the poorest the most.
    Nigelb said:

Texas Governor: Abortion Law Doesn’t Need Rape Exception, Victims Have Six Weeks Like Everyone Else
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/09/texas-governor-abbott-rape-exception-comments-abortion-law.html

'The boy's a fool'.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

He got 2 Es at A level allegedly and was a fireplace salesman before.

I doubt he got the £81,932 + expenses he got before being elected as an MP.

Some MPs take a paycut eg Gauke or Archie Norman or David Laws and return to the private sector soon after, others like Williamson I imagine got a payrise becoming an MP
    But by this point he's enough ministerial experience to swan off into a well paid consultancy/lobbyist job. Why still bother?
    rcs1000 said:

Times change.

I always find it polite to make sure that I am not misgendering people, so I like to start each conversation with "[x], how nice to see you. Tell me, how do you self identify these days?"

Of course, there are limits to this. One shouldn't ask more than once (or at most twice) per day.
    Do you still insist you like R****h**d ?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

HYUFD said:

Income tax comes off comparatively well - only 36% opposed to a rise. Interesting that people really hate borrowing more.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Nigelb said:
    There was a story on my local radio this afternoon, that UAE are considering offering asylum to the entire Afghan women’s cricket team. It’s believed that a number of them are here already, following the Kabul evacuation.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1435545170779549700

But not financially? Theyd take that as a win.
  • Andy_JS said:

It is not difficult. All they have to do is say we would raise it differently, preferably with a wealth tax.

What is difficult and ineffective is to say we want more funding, not this tax and not say what taxes they prefer.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Nigelb said:
    Shocking news. The PM assured us all that the Taliban had changed, surely he wasn't bullshitting us as usual?
  • Andy_JS said:

But they're not opposing tax rises. They're opposing one particular tax rise: the NI increase for workers. They would support tax rises directed at "those with the broadest shoulders", as they've made clear.
  • MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    Shocking news. The PM assured us all that the Taliban had changed, surely he wasn't bullshitting us as usual?
    I said this above Max and somebody said he's "technically" correct so he gets a pass.
  • Andy_JS said:

But they're not opposing tax rises. They're opposing one particular tax rise: the NI increase for workers. They would support tax rises directed at "those with the broadest shoulders", as they've made clear.
    Was just a lazy attack from Andy, "Labour wants to put taxes up", that kind of thing. Starmer's Labour needs to get smarter
  • Cookie said:

In his mind he's not a figure of mockery but a pivotal kingmaker with the power to make and break Prime Ministers.
    Quincel said:

Cookie said:

Tbh I think this is true of being an MP in general, but for ones in the spotlight for being out of their depth I particularly agree with you.
    Itd make sense if he had a chance at real power or was content on the backbenches. But being the joke of the Cabinet is no fun.
    edited September 2021

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    I said this above Max and somebody said he's "technically" correct so he gets a pass.
    Well they are 20 years older, meaner from decades of grinding conflict and slicker with PR because they are on twitter now. Brave call for someone to suggest that counts as genuine change!
  • HYUFD said:

Income tax comes off comparatively well - only 36% opposed to a rise. Interesting that people really hate borrowing more.
    Yes but the only alternative the public think would better is CGT

Cookie said:

In his mind he's not a figure of mockery but a pivotal kingmaker with the power to make and break Prime Ministers.
    I blame parents telling kids to shoot for their dreams and not let anything put them off it.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    Would it have been more or less embarrassing if one of them had been white, I wonder.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!
    Chris said:

Would it have been more or less embarrassing if one of them had been white, I wonder.

Less. Itd be funnier.

Cookie said:

He was Chief Whip wasn't he; knows where the bodies are buried?
    Nigelb said:

It's about time someone took a bold stand against those who expect special treatment. Is presumably how he makes himself the hero of the tale.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Do you still insist you like R****h**d ?
    You seem like a smart guy, @Nigelb.

Are you really saying that you don't like them. I mean, differences of opinion are fine and all that. So, I understand you could have a different opinion.

But I'm reminded of something a musician friend of mine said "people who say they like music, who don't like Radiohead, don't really like music."
  • https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/the-unredacted-spreadsheet-of-40-tory-mps-accused-of-inappropriate-sexual-behaviour/#jp-carousel-42337

This is fascinating.

Do you think Matt Hancock's relations are what is blanked out there now we know who it was with?
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    Bit like Pompeo last year when he negotiated Trump's deal.
    Are they really living up to that commitment? It’s our expectation. I met with them myself when I was in Doha. I looked them in the eye. They revalidated that commitment.”...

...“These [the Taliban] are butchers. I met in the room with them. These were some of the most difficult meetings for me personally and emotionally. I knew exactly who I was sitting across the table from. These are evil people. The world is filled with evil people like this. … We never trusted them. … We always knew what they were telling us was almost certainly a lie.”
This discussion has been closed.