Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Gavin Williamson has done another whoopsie – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,901
    edited September 2021
    Nigelb said:

Texas Governor: Abortion Law Doesn’t Need Rape Exception, Victims Have Six Weeks Like Everyone Else
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/09/texas-governor-abbott-rape-exception-comments-abortion-law.html

They'll probably introduce a 2 week limit at some point, as per the way the NHS counts pregnancy weeks.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/10/31/the-unredacted-spreadsheet-of-40-tory-mps-accused-of-inappropriate-sexual-behaviour/#jp-carousel-42337

This is fascinating.

Do you think Matt Hancock's relations are what is blanked out there now we know who it was with?

Remember, when discussing Gavin Williamson, that he was recently the Chief Whip. That’s probably his spreadsheet, and he has a lot more similar spreadsheets of misdemeanours as well as a list of journalists’ phone numbers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I might be wrong but I believed Foxy to be a woman? Many apologies if I am wrong

All man, well he was when I met him in 2015.
    Times change.

I always find it polite to make sure that I am not misgendering people, so I like to start each conversation with "[x], how nice to see you. Tell me, how do you self identify these days?"

Of course, there are limits to this. One shouldn't ask more than once (or at most twice) per day.
    Welcome to California!
    We have a friend with a 13 year old daughter. Said daughter has decided she's now a boy and wants to be known as "Norman".

The funny bit is that when I call her by her birth name, she's totally OK with it. Doesn't seem to bother her in the least. But when her mother calls her by it... it's breakdown from hell.

And this makes me think that (in many cases) this is all a part of teenage rebellion. (And the fact that the parents did saddle her with a rather untraditional name. And this might be a little bit revenge for that.)
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Scotland's hottest September day in 115 years at 28.6 degrees C
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-58491958
  • Options
    It is worth noting here that if the UK Government is cracking Facebook encryption, and especially if they are reading data stored on non-UK servers, then they are almost certainly violating a lot of other countries laws.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

Opinium finds voters overall oppose the NI rise 45% to 33% but Tory voters still support it 49% to 33%.
    https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1435601638832680966?s=20

However voters also oppose raising income tax 36% to 27% and using more money from individuals estates by 41% to 18% and also oppose cutting spending elsewhere and raising VAT and borrowing more. Though by 43% to 18% they back raising CGT
    https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1435602395908739072?s=20

The best answer politically would have been to do nothing - ie leave the system as it currently is.

For many years some people have been making a lot of noise re how the system is broken and must be reformed - but the bottom line is how many people have really been that bothered? Where has it come on the MORI issues index?

Doing nothing wouldn't have cost any votes. Far more sensible to just leave well alone.

The only counter point would be that the tax rise was needed now to fund the NHS and all the stuff about care is just dressing up the tax rise to make it more palatable.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    Shocking news. The PM assured us all that the Taliban had changed, surely he wasn't bullshitting us as usual?
    It was Biden who let the Taliban back in by withdrawing US forces, little Boris could do about it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I might be wrong but I believed Foxy to be a woman? Many apologies if I am wrong

Times change.

I always find it polite to make sure that I am not misgendering people, so I like to start each conversation with "[x], how nice to see you. Tell me, how do you self identify these days?"

Of course, there are limits to this. One shouldn't ask more than once (or at most twice) per day.
    Welcome to California!
    We have a friend with a 13 year old daughter. Said daughter has decided she's now a boy and wants to be known as "Norman".

The funny bit is that when I call her by her birth name, she's totally OK with it. Doesn't seem to bother her in the least. But when her mother calls her by it... it's breakdown from hell.

And this makes me think that (in many cases) this is all a part of teenage rebellion. (And the fact that the parents did saddle her with a rather untraditional name. And this might be a little bit revenge for that.)
    Absolutely it’s a teenage rebellion thing - which is why giving powerful drugs to block puberty in adolescents, often without parental consent, is becoming so controversial.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

On thread - why does Gavin Williamson (and politicians in general, but Gavin Williamson in particular) do the job? It can't possibly be enjoyable, being a constant figure of mockery. It's very hard work. I can't see any way in which the rewards outweigh the disbenefits.

He got 2 Es at A level allegedly and was a fireplace salesman before.

I doubt he got the £81,932 + expenses he got before being elected as an MP.

Some MPs take a paycut eg Gauke or Archie Norman or David Laws and return to the private sector soon after, others like Williamson I imagine got a payrise becoming an MP
    But by this point he's enough ministerial experience to swan off into a well paid consultancy/lobbyist job. Why still bother?
    If Gavin Williamson was being headhunted by lobbyists and consultants with offers of 6 figure salaries I would imagine he would have jumped already
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,354
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Do you still insist you like R****h**d ?
    You seem like a smart guy, @Nigelb.

Are you really saying that you don't like them. I mean, differences of opinion are fine and all that. So, I understand you could have a different opinion.

But I'm reminded of something a musician friend of mine said "people who say they like music, who don't like Radiohead, don't really like music."
    I'm unfamiliar with their oeuvre, so just wanted to check you still thought them worth investigation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

My wife made an interesting point to me the other day - she said that she'd have no objections if either of our girls decided they wanted to be or are boys. But she would have an issue with them changing their names, that we spent a long time picking their name for them and that it'd be upsetting to have that name discarded.

Perhaps if someone switches their gender, their parents should pick a new name for them in their new gender, instead of picking their own?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

It is worth noting here that if the UK Government is cracking Facebook encryption, and especially if they are reading data stored on non-UK servers, then they are almost certainly violating a lot of other countries laws.
    If they break Facebook's encryption - which I am going to assume uses the industry standard AES - she is going to literally render the majority of institutions including the British Government, banks, NHS, as unprotected.

The good news for her is that it would take 1 billion years to crack a 128 bit AES key so she's going to be sitting there for a long time.

It's also completely not in the interest of any of the institutions that use this security, to help her, nor any of their present/past employees, since this would lead their work liable to be stolen.

She is an absolute idiot.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If they break Facebook's encryption - which I am going to assume uses the industry standard AES - she is going to literally render the majority of institutions including the British Government, banks, NHS, as unprotected.

The good news for her is that it would take 1 billion years to crack a 128 bit AES key so she's going to be sitting there for a long time.

It's also completely not in the interest of any of the institutions that use this security, to help her, nor any of their present/past employees, since this would lead their work liable to be stolen.

You don’t need to break the encryption, you just need to get access to the computer which contains the key.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

You don’t need to break the encryption, you just need to get access to the computer which contains the key.
    And how do you get access to the computer without breaking the encryption? Physically break into one of Facebook's data centres?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

And how do you get access to the computer without breaking the encryption? Physically break into one of Facebook's data centres?
    Or electronically hack into them.

It wouldn't surprise me if its something GCHQ are working on if they're capable of doing so - and that we'd likely never find out if they did manage it.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

My wife made an interesting point to me the other day - she said that she'd have no objections if either of our girls decided they wanted to be or are boys. But she would have an issue with them changing their names, that we spent a long time picking their name for them and that it'd be upsetting to have that name discarded.

Perhaps if someone switches their gender, their parents should pick a new name for them in their new gender, instead of picking their own?
    If someone is doing it on some level in order to rebel against an identity 'assigned' to them by their parents, wouldn't that be a bad idea?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2021

rcs1000 said:

It might be a stupid solution, but there is undoubtedly a problem.

Priti is just playing poker with the tech giants to try to force them to do more.

What would you do to stop internet creeps?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if its something GCHQ are working on if they're capable of doing so - and that we'd likely never find out if they did manage it.
    And hack into them how? Without breaking encryption they aren't going to get far
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited September 2021
    On-topic: Typical of this wretched out of touch Government. This is truly the worst Government I have ever experienced, epitomised by the Liar/Shagger/Racist that occupies Number 10.

What a f*cking shower these people are!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

I doubt it is 'all' that in all cases but at times it might seem a bit trendy. I think there was a phase where celebs used to cavalierly say they were bi, which probably annoyed actual bi persons.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Are you really saying that you don't like them. I mean, differences of opinion are fine and all that. So, I understand you could have a different opinion.

But I'm reminded of something a musician friend of mine said "people who say they like music, who don't like Radiohead, don't really like music."
    I'm unfamiliar with their oeuvre, so just wanted to check you still thought them worth investigation.
    Are you genuinely unfamiliar?

If so, can I suggest you start with the Bends and go from there. Personally, alongside The National, I think they are among the best bands of the last quarter century.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,383
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

There's a research programme* starting shortly into this - well, more broadly the real needs and outcomes for young people with apparent gender dysphoria issues (colleagues involved). Needs doing, but I fear they're about to find out what it is like to poke a hornet's nest with a big, but not very long, stick.

*part of a government review - https://cass.independent-review.uk/ The Chair is pretty badass, she has balls of steel, so I'm expecting good sensible, evidence-based recommendations. What I don't know is whether the government will then implement those!

(Edited to remove an ambiguous play on words, which was open to the opposite of my intended meaning)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    ping said:

rcs1000 said:

Make Facebook's senior management personal liable for all images found on their platform...

The issue then becomes how do you get them extradited to the UK...

• Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

And hack into them how? Without breaking encryption they aren't going to get far
    I wouldn't know how to, but I wouldn't be as confident that you are the encryption is as secure as you think it is. Companies do manage to get hacked depressingly often so if someone in GCHQ can find a weak point it wouldn't surprise me if they find a way to exploit it - nor surprise me if we don't find out that its happened.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

I doubt it is 'all' that in all cases but at times it might seem a bit trendy. I think there was a phase where celebs used to cavalierly say they were bi, which probably annoyed actual bi persons.
    "All" is perhaps a little strong on my behalf. But said child demonstrates no obvious other outward signs of actually being a boy (or wanting to be a boy). Her friends are all female. She dresses in a feminine way. I don't think she has any interest whatsoever in surgery or gender reassignment or anything like that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

If so, can I suggest you start with the Bends and go from there. Personally, alongside The National, I think they are among the best bands of the last quarter century.
    Genuinely, yes.
    Lot of music out there...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

As an aside, I'm tri: I like brunettes, red heads and blondes.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I wouldn't know how to, but I wouldn't be as confident that you are the encryption is as secure as you think it is. Companies do manage to get hacked depressingly often so if someone in GCHQ can find a weak point it wouldn't surprise me if they find a way to exploit it - nor surprise me if we don't find out that its happened.
    They don't get hacked because people break AES, they get hacked primarily because of a combination of social engineering + not using encryption at all/using weak encryption (cough cough LastPass cough cough cough)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

We did invent public private key encryption 5 years before anyone else, and keep quiet about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Cocks

If GCHQ have cracked AES hopefully they've had the sense not to tell Priti.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!
    Feck that , I will stick with the old tried and trusted methods
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    HYUFD said:

Scotland's hottest September day in 115 years at 28.6 degrees C
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-58491958

We'll continue to see more of these records in the near future. We (humanity) fiddle as Rome literally burns. To coin a phrase that was often used when I was working in Nigeria, "Only God can save us now!"
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,234
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

...and if the moderator of PB is a person who thinks they are among the best bands of the last quarter century that pretty much makes me a person who thinks they are among the best bands of the last quarter century...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    rcs1000 said:

If you are pitting Priti Patel against maths you should put your money on maths every time.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

We did invent public private key encryption 5 years before anyone else, and keep quiet about it

If AES had been cracked, it would presumably be off of some advance in factoring very large numbers. And if such a thing had happened, pure mathematicians would probably know about it.
  • Options
    Couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.

The government is preparing to announce a solution to the severe shortage of HGV drivers which the industry has already said won’t work.

A briefing document sent to Tory MPs sets out plan to speed up testing by merging Class C (small truck) + Class E (articulated lorry) tests.

https://twitter.com/ITVJoel/status/1435624734260178948
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Or perhaps there is rather more emotional freight attached to a parent's acceptance ? It's at least equally likely.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,446
    Two of the Canadian pollsters have the People's Party on 7.6% and 7.9% respectively, ahead of the Greens and the Bloc Quebecois. The other pollsters have them much lower though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2021_Canadian_federal_election#Campaign_period
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

...and if the moderator of PB is a person who thinks they are among the best bands of the last quarter century that pretty much makes me a person who thinks they are among the best bands of the last quarter century...
    There are worse reasons.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

That’s the easy bit. Simply send an email to the data centre manager that looks like it came from his boss or another VP, inviting him to click the link to join the meeting.

Social engineering is way easier than hacking into data centres, it’s how most of the recent high-profile ransomware attacks have happened, and why people who work in IT for a company running infrastructure (raises hand) are spending as much effort on staff training as on actual IT security.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,857
    rcs1000 said:

If AES had been cracked, it would presumably be off of some advance in factoring very large numbers. And if such a thing had happened, pure mathematicians would probably know about it.

Unless it was a quantum computer
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Remind me who the world's largest employer of pure mathematicians is?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I see he attended King's College, Cambridge.
  • Options

Well not physically on the whole, that would be exceptional, but "breaking in" is basically what GCHQ do now. They attack the servers and clients to get the data as plain text not waste their time futilely trying to crack the encryption. I'm 99% sure that Patel has been told this repeatedly.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!
    Begbie?
  • Options

Couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.

The government is preparing to announce a solution to the severe shortage of HGV drivers which the industry has already said won’t work.

A briefing document sent to Tory MPs sets out plan to speed up testing by merging Class C (small truck) + Class E (articulated lorry) tests.

https://twitter.com/ITVJoel/status/1435624734260178948

I remember being discussed a while back - its going to completely screw up the profitability of HGV driving training firms - as Class E is way more complex and profitable.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

I would, quite frankly, be heartbroken if any of my girls decided to become boys.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Or perhaps there is rather more emotional freight attached to a parent's acceptance ? It's at least equally likely.
    Plus it sounds like she is an extremely polite person responding with grace to some friend of her parents' either knowing or unknowing trolling of her.
  • Options
    eek said:

ping said:

rcs1000 said:

Make Facebook's senior management personal liable for all images found on their platform...

The issue then becomes how do you get them extradited to the UK...

Nick Clegg should be easy enough.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

I would, quite frankly, be heartbroken if any of my girls decided to become boys.
    Wow seriously? Why?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I see he attended King's College, Cambridge.
    Sorry, good point. I should have said "and keep quiet about it (except tipping off the Kremlin, obvs.)"
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

They can choose to identify as male but they can never truly be male only trans-male
  • Options
    glw said:

Well not physically on the whole, that would be exceptional, but "breaking in" is basically what GCHQ do now. They attack the servers and clients to get the data as plain text not waste their time futilely trying to crack the encryption. I'm 99% sure that Patel has been told this repeatedly.
    I don't think they will be able to break into Facebook's data centres somehow, not with the level of encryption they use.

If they could, Priti would not bring this story up every few months.

As I mentioned above, most "hacking" is a combination of social engineering + exploiting weak encryption.

The amount of companies that store passwords in plain text without even using a hash of any kind, in an unsecured database I am sure is frightening
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Quantum computing is as much of a buzzword as "AI" is
  • Options

glw said:

I don't think they will be able to break into Facebook's data centres somehow, not with the level of encryption they use.

As I mentioned above, most "hacking" is a combination of social engineering + exploiting weak encryption.

The amount of companies that store passwords in plain text without even using a hash of any kind, in an unsecured database I am sure is frightening
    To be serious I don't think Priti's stupid enough to be attempting this.

I suspect that this is something that gets said so that people who want this kind of thing can nod along sagely and be happy something's being done - without having to actually bother to get anything done.
  • Options

glw said:

To be serious I don't think Priti's stupid enough to be attempting this.

I suspect that this is something that gets said so that people who want this kind of thing can nod along sagely and be happy something's being done - without having to actually bother to get anything done.
    I wonder if many of the same people who applied for a job with Dom will now apply for a job with her.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

My friends son who is a 6ft 14 year old, probably weighing 13 stone told his mum at the start of the year that he wanted to wear womens clothes. He said that they had been talking about gender in class and he said he might want to be a girl now. She dealt with it brilliantly and just listened to him without judgement. It was all he could talk about for a month and they were at the stage of a shopping trip to get him a dress. Then one day he came home from school and said he did not want to be a girl anymore and that was the last she heard of it.

He has no feminine traits whatsoever so I just assume ot was a cool thing to say at the time.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Time flies. The bends was released in 95. Maybe that should be half century.

Start with the Bends Nigel.
  • Options
    If anyone does work for one of these companies, I suggest resigning and sending an email to the Information Commissioner (or whatever they are called nowadays).

I recall one Dido Harding oversaw such a security failure at TalkTalk, whatever happened to her?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

• Options
    It gets worse for the CSU in Bavaria - 28% in this poll. Also slightly better for the SPD who are 2nd on 18%:

https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/1435627306895171586
  • Options
    Sonntagsfrage zur Bundestagswahl • Allensbach/FAZ: SPD 27 % +3 | CDU/CSU 25 % -1 | GRÜNE 15,5 % | AfD 11 % | FDP 9,5 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 6 %

Changes on two weeks ago.

Every leading pollster (and a couple of others) now showing an SPD lead. Range is 2%-6% ahead and we have not seen any regional polls which cast much doubt on that.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Have had similar discussions (name change wasn't considered though!) as a relation of mine - some kind of cousin? cousin's son* - apparently told his mother that he considered himself a girl and started dressing in women's clothing. This was some years back; I'd had little contact with him and only sporadic contact with his mother although both came to our wedding. She had effectively disowned him, which horrified my wife and I and led to the discussion.

These are big decisions though, we'd support our children, but I'd certainly be concerned that it might be a manifestation of a different mental health issue and we'd try and work through that. People with gender issues are of course real and should be supported, but I think that there is a danger that people with mental health issues can latch on to anything more tangible as a cause and solution. The treatments have long term implications, even delaying puberty, so it's not s decision to be taken lightly particularly when there is a risk that the real underlying issue is different.

I hope that if we ever get to those issues (our eldest is only 3) they will be much better understood and the services much better.

*I'm using male terms as he was a boy and identified as such when I knew him. I don't know the situation now - the mother cut off contact after I expressed the opinion that she was doing the wrong thing and all I ever had for him was an email address - we emailed to offer support/a friendly ear if needed, but never heard back.
  • Options

glw said:

The Chinese intelligence services hacked Google, apparently gaining access to adminstrator accounts used for lawful intercept services, they did it by spear phising. Google essentially pulled out of China as a result, and afterwards adopted zero trust approaches accross all their internal systems with mandatory 2FA to defeat phishing which got spun-out at U2F/FIDO.

Facebook is almost certainly hackable by the state-actors that are behind most of the APTs that plague the internet today. They will have a bag of tricks like zero-day vulnerabilities for all the software they need to defeat. Anyone who thinks they aren't hackable doesn't have enough paranoia* to be trusted with other peoples data.

* My favourite example of this is that Apple supposedly destroy the keys for their iCloud HSMs after programming them, effectively rendering them one-off devices that need replacing every time the keys need renewing.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

The ship committed suicide :(
  • Options

If anyone does work for one of these companies, I suggest resigning and sending an email to the Information Commissioner (or whatever they are called nowadays).

I recall one Dido Harding oversaw such a security failure at TalkTalk, whatever happened to her?

What companies - without any quote - I haven't a clue what you are on about.
  • Options
    eek said:

Companies that do the following:

Don't use encryption of any kind
    Store passwords as plain text
    Use unsecured and/or publicly accessible db environments

And these companies exist
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

My friends son who is a 6ft 14 year old, probably weighing 13 stone told his mum at the start of the year that he wanted to wear womens clothes. He said that they had been talking about gender in class and he said he might want to be a girl now. She dealt with it brilliantly and just listened to him without judgement. It was all he could talk about for a month and they were at the stage of a shopping trip to get him a dress. Then one day he came home from school and said he did not want to be a girl anymore and that was the last she heard of it.

He has no feminine traits whatsoever so I just assume ot was a cool thing to say at the time.
    I have a friend (a lot of "friends" here on PB on this subject :smile: ) who's child (13yrs old) is either a boy who believes they are a girl or a girl who believes they are a boy. I met his child last year at a party - hold on must have been two years ago - and the child was dressed androgenously. I recently saw a picture of them in their new (senior) school uniform and I couldn't remember/work out which way "round" the transformation was.

I do know that the school (old style public school) was pretty accommodating given the androgenous uniform the child was wearing.

I don't for one second think they are doing it because it is "cool". Although I'm sure some are. Convinced or confused would be my guess at it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249
    edited September 2021
    eek said:

Alleged surely
  • Options

It gets worse for the CSU in Bavaria - 28% in this poll. Also slightly better for the SPD who are 2nd on 18%:

Blimey. Would we expect some recovery or is it a case of how low can they go?
  • Options
    I think you could pretty quickly find companies that are vulnerable to SQL injection, despite most languages making it so stupidly easy to program against such an attack, maybe Priti should try that next?
  • Options
    Oh Dear
    UK secretly dropped climate promises for trade deal with Australia, leaked emails show

Australia pressured the UK not to include binding clauses on the Paris Agreement
  • Options

glw said:

Client I work for only very recently encrypted some of the passwords they hold in a database. However, they still have some old APIs storing them in plain text in a database that logs API requests.

I spent far too much time ensuring that the new versions of the APIs would not replicate this behaviour - but I'm being told not to be a nuisance when I suggest we should get everyone using the new API.

A full blown cyber war would be very disruptive very quickly.
  • Options

I think you could pretty quickly find companies that are vulnerable to SQL injection, despite most languages making it so stupidly easy to program against such an attack, maybe Priti should try that next?

But what would we do, without Little Bobby Tables?

(You’d better get that reference, with your username).
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Oh Dear
    UK secretly dropped climate promises for trade deal with Australia, leaked emails show

Australia pressured the UK not to include binding clauses on the Paris Agreement

And ?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!
    Begbie?
    A little better than Begbie, but a man's a man for a that
  • Options

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Whatever happened to phone sanitisers and the rest of the B Ark ?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Your wife might be in for disappointment later on, as your daughter's friends modify and probably shorten her name, so Princess Diana becomes Lady Di or Liz Truss becomes Liz Truss.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Wow seriously? Why?
    Because I love the people they are. And I don't want them to be unhappy with the people they are.
    Because they would be doing themselves all sorts of irreversible physical harm.

I don't think I want to deny any grown adults the right to reassign their gender. The mental anguish such people must be in for this to seem an attractive option must be huge. (Though I'm not convinced in all cases gender reassignment assuages that mental anguish as anticipated.) But it's a fairly huge thing to go through. All other things being equal, living a life in which you remain the gender you started out as is the simpler and easier path. I don't want my daughters to have to go through it.

I'm slightly surprised you're surprised. I'd expect most parents to feel the same. I don't think its hopelessly antediluvian to hope that your daughters grow up to have the sort of life their parents do: i.e. find and marry some man and have children.
    I want my children to be happy. And the route 1 approach is the most straightforward way to achieving that,
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

But what would we do, without Little Bobby Tables?

(You’d better get that reference, with your username).
    Mom fucks an entire school
  • Options

Cookie said:

On thread - why does Gavin Williamson (and politicians in general, but Gavin Williamson in particular) do the job? It can't possibly be enjoyable, being a constant figure of mockery. It's very hard work. I can't see any way in which the rewards outweigh the disbenefits.

In his mind he's not a figure of mockery but a pivotal kingmaker with the power to make and break Prime Ministers.
    Hah - fair point. I can't see it myself, but for many people just like to have power.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

There's no-ome like Elvis. Early stuff anyway!
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Of course just because someone has feminine or masculine traits doesn't mean they should or will consider a transition of any kind.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,893
    edited September 2021
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Have had similar discussions (name change wasn't considered though!) as a relation of mine - some kind of cousin? cousin's son* - apparently told his mother that he considered himself a girl and started dressing in women's clothing. This was some years back; I'd had little contact with him and only sporadic contact with his mother although both came to our wedding. She had effectively disowned him, which horrified my wife and I and led to the discussion.

These are big decisions though, we'd support our children, but I'd certainly be concerned that it might be a manifestation of a different mental health issue and we'd try and work through that. People with gender issues are of course real and should be supported, but I think that there is a danger that people with mental health issues can latch on to anything more tangible as a cause and solution. The treatments have long term implications, even delaying puberty, so it's not s decision to be taken lightly particularly when there is a risk that the real underlying issue is different.

I hope that if we ever get to those issues (our eldest is only 3) they will be much better understood and the services much better.

*I'm using male terms as he was a boy and identified as such when I knew him. I don't know the situation now - the mother cut off contact after I expressed the opinion that she was doing the wrong thing and all I ever had for him was an email address - we emailed to offer support/a friendly ear if needed, but never heard back.
    I have a teenage former niece who decided that he wanted to be male. He has since changed his first name by deed poll to a male name but has kept his female middle name out of respect, as he put it, for his family. He dresses and acts like a boy but has not, as far as I known, had any gender-changing medical treatment. My sister found it pretty hard to deal with, but has been fully supportive of his decision. I still think of him as a her, but refer to him using male pronouns because that's what he wants. Even though it feels pretty weird.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Wow seriously? Why?
    Because I love the people they are. And I don't want them to be unhappy with the people they are.

I don't think I want to deny any grown adults the right to reassign their gender. The mental anguish such people must be in for this to seem an attractive option must be huge. (Though I'm not convinced in all cases gender reassignment assuages that mental anguish as anticipated.) But it's a fairly huge thing to go through. All other things being equal, living a life in which you remain the gender you started out as is the simpler and easier path. I don't want my daughters to have to go through it.

I'm slightly surprised you're surprised. I'd expect most parents to feel the same. I don't think its hopelessly antediluvian to hope that your daughters grow up to have the sort of life their parents do: i.e. find and marry some man and have children.
    I want my children to be happy. And the route 1 approach is the most straightforward way to achieving that,
    Thank you for answering that.

Not for me to say of course and absolutely about your daughters and you are right about the challenges of deciding upon such a path and also, as @Selebian has noted acutely, whether it was a symptom of some other concern.

But all that said, if people are genuinely convinced that they want to pursue and live their life as a different gender to the one they were born with then doing so, surely, would make them happy.

If I had children and they wanted to be professional footballers I would I hope support them knowing that a lot of heartache, frustration, disappointment, and unhappiness lay ahead.

Unless of course it was for Tottenham Hotspur in which case fuck 'em.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Wow seriously? Why?

I have a lot of respect for that position.

Years ago (at uni, so ~ 20 years ago) I had an argument with a friend in which I said that I would prefer my (future) children not to be gay. Purely because, at that point, I believed that gay people still faced a lot of prejudice and being gay would likely mean a harder life than being heterosexual (I would have absolutely accepted and supported gay children).

Fortunately, we've moved on as a society, which means that I no longer care either way.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If the law breaking is in a specific and limited way, then precedent suggests it will get approval from the AG.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If the law breaking is in a specific and limited way, then precedent suggests it will get approval from the AG.
    The rule of law and order now only applies as a tool with which the Tories can attack Labour for policies they don't like
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

They were lined up for Cabinet jobs, but Boris Johnson thought they'd be too competent.
  • Options

eek said:

All my passwords are different, and I algorithmically generate them so their hashes collide with "password" for added security.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

They were lined up for Cabinet jobs, but Boris Johnson thought they'd be too competent.
    I am sure some of the cabinet can pass the Turing Test
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Good article from Faisal Islam;

“The initial response to the pandemic recession was a significant temporary tax cut to property transactions, even though demand to move houses remained buoyant.
    The permanent response to the pandemic recession is to raise taxes on pay packets, working hours, and jobs permanently.
    This pattern is not an accident. It is the consistent cross-party political consensus that reflects the perceived political reality of where tax coffers can be squeezed.“

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58485824
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

All my passwords are different, and I algorithmically generate them so their hashes collide with "password" for added security.
    What does that last clause mean, please??
  • Options
    Dick in!

We're all getting two years of Dick.

Priti should be sacked for this.

The head of the Metropolitan Police is expected to be given a two-year contract extension within days after weathering a series of controversies.

Dame Cressida Dick’s position has been questioned in recent months after a sharp rise in teenage murders in London, allegations of institutional corruption at Scotland Yard and the arrest of an officer for murdering Sarah Everard.

Though the deal has yet to be finalised, Dick, 60, is thought to have secured Home Office backing to stay on as Britain’s most senior police officer and the extension could be announced as early as Monday, sources said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dick-to-get-two-more-years-as-met-commissioner-bb3t6sb8n
  • Options
    Re computer security. The Register this week published an interesting, non-technical article about responding to ransomware attacks. You do have a plan, right?
    https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2021/09/06/what_do_do_when_hit_by_ransomware/
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Still a comfortable 10% lead over the 2nd placed SPD for the CSU and still almost 10% more than their CDU sister party are polling in the rest of Germany in many polls.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

I am sure some of the cabinet can pass the Turing Test
    On a good day...
  • Options

eek said:

They exist and about 18 months ago granted remote access so everyone could work from home using unpatched, unmonitored and probably insecure devices. This was done in an unplanned manner over a weekend because no-one saw the pandemic coming.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Times change.

Welcome to California!

Good post. This is also basically my perspective on the situation.

What I would also say is that, in this day and age; if you disowned your children for this, then you would find yourself socially ostracised and probably cancelled. It isn't an option.
This discussion has been closed.