Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The UK vaccination programme nearly 8 months after the first jab – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    felix said:

Hard to disagree with Peter Kyle here:

Offering vaccines to 16-17 year old is too late to make a difference to education when terms starts next month.

Government have squandered the opportunity summer offered.

https://twitter.com/peterkyle/status/1422837146625396736

I assume Kyle expects HMG to ignore the advice of JCVI who provided an explanation in today's Downing St conference alongside JVT and the head of the MHRA
    In this case I think, yes, he does and he's right. The MHRA approved the Pfizer jab for 16- and 17-year olds back in December. The point Peter Kyle makes (and made back in June) is effectively that we don't have the luxury of ignoring the time constraints of the school year. So, working backwards from the start of the next term, there was a considerable degree of urgency to get this cohort fully jabbed up in time, which meant starting a few weeks ago.

We now are in the rather absurd and distinctly sub-optimal position of deciding to jab them, but too late to get the full benefit.
    Surely it's much easier to jab them once they're back in school?
    True, but it's not necessary to wait for that.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Selebian said:

felix said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

UK recorded 29,312 coronavirus cases in last 24 hours.
    Here’s how we compare to other countries:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900
    (Data: @who)
    https://twitter.com/mrmikecowan/status/1422939172902514688

Leaving aside different points in cycle etc, on a 7 day basis, Spain and France are very comparable to UK according to OWID. OWID also suggests Spain and France reporting is massively variable on a single day basis.

It's a nonsense stat anyway, to make any kind of point about how well countries are doing. But taking a single day (with likely different reporting lags between countries) speaks of dubious motivation.
    Scott'n paste orgasms whenever he senses gloom and doom for the UK v EU. Notice how he's avoiding the Olympic Medal table.
    Didn't someone post on this before and note that the EU are way ahead of us on medals? :wink:
    Not even the biggest Eurofanatic really believes that though - you can't add up states which are allowed separate entries.

In reality we're got more Golds than France & Germany combined from less than half the population.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

felix said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Ummm, are we absolutely sure the numbers for the other countries are correct?
    They aren't...e.g. US 15k....its more like 150k....

And this is a BBC journalist....f##king morons in the media again.
    There should really be a warning whenever Scott'n'Paste posts.
    A CLOWN HORN

HONK HONK
    15K is just Florida!!
  • Result. I have been offered a training contract at my firm. I am thrilled - my new career as a solicitor is a go!

Congratulations!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,593

Offering vaccines to 16-17 year old is too late to make a difference to education when terms starts next month.

I assume Kyle expects HMG to ignore the advice of JCVI who provided an explanation in today's Downing St conference alongside JVT and the head of the MHRA
    In this case I think, yes, he does and he's right. The MHRA approved the Pfizer jab for 16- and 17-year olds back in December. The point Peter Kyle makes (and made back in June) is effectively that we don't have the luxury of ignoring the time constraints of the school year. So, working backwards from the start of the next term, there was a considerable degree of urgency to get this cohort fully jabbed up in time, which meant starting a few weeks ago.

We now are in the rather absurd and distinctly sub-optimal position of deciding to jab them, but too late to get the full benefit.
    Kyle's comments concluded with

'Such a programme can happen only if the government start to plan now and are ready to act the moment the JCVI issues it's guidance'

That guidance has only been issued today
    Adding a new, lower, age group to the vaccination program - which is still running - shouldn't be an apocalyptic event....
  • DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Absolute bullshit @Scott_xP . Complete bollocks. That's a report of incomplete data, France recorded 26,829 cases yesterday -

https://dashboard.covid19.data.gouv.fr/vue-d-ensemble?location=FRA

Spain recorded 20,273 -

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/documentos/Actualizacion_432_COVID-19.pdf

As I have said to you on multiple occasions, there are ways of criticising this shower of a Government without posting inaccurate data. It destroys your credibility.
    What credibility?
    Shocking missuse of figures and the BBC journalist should be censured

And I endorse your comment on credibility

'Such a programme can happen only if the government start to plan now and are ready to act the moment the JCVI issues it's guidance'

True, but did the government actually ask the JCVI to think about the constraints of the school year?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021
    Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

As suspected, they are probably all bollocks. US figure for 3 August = 149,788, not 15k (which was June 28th)
    26,829 for France. No point fact checking further. Delete Mr Mike Cowan from any serious consideration of anything.
    A sodding blue check mark BBC journalist. These people are so dense light bends around them.
    The single worst performing profession of the whole pandemic. Even after 18 months, still an utter failure to check basic facts in their reporting.

I hope someone flags the guy to Twitter for such obvious misinformation.
    And they never apologize....Peston still has his fake news bullshit about government hiding the real case numbers behind reinfections being discounted. Would take him 2 secs to delete it and write, sorry got it wrong, thanks for those who pointed me to the correct info.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Tweet deleted. :lol:
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    Selebian said:

felix said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Leaving aside different points in cycle etc, on a 7 day basis, Spain and France are very comparable to UK according to OWID. OWID also suggests Spain and France reporting is massively variable on a single day basis.

It's a nonsense stat anyway, to make any kind of point about how well countries are doing. But taking a single day (with likely different reporting lags between countries) speaks of dubious motivation.
    Scott'n paste orgasms whenever he senses gloom and doom for the UK v EU. Notice how he's avoiding the Olympic Medal table.
    Didn't someone post on this before and note that the EU are way ahead of us on medals? :wink:
    It was the idiot Dickson who pretended it was one country with no limits on the number of competitor entries. BDS is a serious illness and apparently there is no vaccine or cure.

• Kyle's comments concluded with

True, but did the government actually ask the JCVI to think about the constraints of the school year?
    To be honest I have no idea but the head of JCVI seemed very much on top of his brief and he kept emphasising that they are very cautious, especially when it comes to children, and I am sure parents will be grateful for that as their children do not need their permission to have the vaccine
    edited August 2021
    Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

As suspected, they are probably all bollocks. US figure for 3 August = 149,788, not 15k (which was June 28th)
    26,829 for France. No point fact checking further. Delete Mr Mike Cowan from any serious consideration of anything.
    A sodding blue check mark BBC journalist. These people are so dense light bends around them.
    The single worst performing profession of the whole pandemic. Even after 18 months, still an utter failure to check basic facts in their reporting.

What is scary is the general public don't realise this.... I have to regularly tell my elderly parents, such and such is just not true...but I saw it on the BBC, Sky, and I read it in the newspaper...
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Paging @Scott_xP

Michael Cowan
    @mrmikecowan
    Replying to
    @londonman66
    and
    @WHO
    Yes you’re right. I thought WHO figs accurate but it appears not. I’ll be deleting that tweet. Thanks for flagging.

https://twitter.com/mrmikecowan/status/1422946455187300360
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    DougSeal said:

29312 cases, 119 deaths.

8% increase in cases from last Wednesday. Thought this was coming.
    Yes, step 4 now feeding into the case numbers, however the age groups are going to be the least susceptible to hospitalisation so I'm not sure it's a huge deal.

felix said:

Given Spain's experience when Delta only took off after the schools had broken up I'm unconvinced of the strong link between attendance at school and incidence of Covid. Either way imagine the press if the government ignored the scientific advice given.
    Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

He's deleted and corrected. Your point still stands though.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

DougSeal said:

29312 cases, 119 deaths.

I blame the nightclub in Lincoln....
    Have iSAGE sequestrated the entire broadcast media yet?
    edited August 2021
    DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

He's deleted the offending Tweets, but I don't see a correction.

EDIT: Oh, he's replied to one of the other Tweets.
    tlg86 said:

Tweet deleted. :lol:

And there will be no apology or retraction from ScottnPaste who is busy scouring the dark web for more dirt on the government as I write.
    edited August 2021
    I give the media loads of stick, but BNO news have been absolutely excellent in their stream of reporting updates. They rarely if ever get things wrong or fail provide the correct caveat e.g. this nunber is actually 2 days worth because....
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    England hospital beds now below 5k, having hovered just above for a few weeks.

If this level is what endemic looks like we're now at the point that building a segregated national covid service with 6 or 7k beds would be economic as long as the government were happy to stay calm and let it actually be used.
  • And this announcement for 16/17 years, not starting for a few weeks...what are they playing at. 100ks of share doses of Moderna are available.

I could be wrong but I think they are recommending Pfizer and to begin very shortly

Also parental permission is not required apparently
    BBC News - Covid: Jabs for 16 and 17-year-olds to start within weeks
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58091693

Although its the BBC, so they are probably wrong. And when they say pfizer, they normally mean an mRNA, i.e. pfizer or moderna, as they are effectively interchangeable.
    To be honest I am fairly certain JVT indicated pfizer but I am willing to be corrected
    tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Well - an acknowledgement then - https://twitter.com/mrmikecowan/status/1422946455187300360
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

And they never apologize....Peston still has his fake news bullshit about government hiding the real case numbers behind reinfections being discounted. Would take him 2 secs to delete it and write, sorry got it wrong, thanks for those who pointed me to the correct info.

He didn't seem to understand that being off target by about two orders of magnitude is highly misleading. He seemed to think that his claim and the real figures are in the same ballpark.

Goodness me you're starting to sound somewhat deranged yourself ....
  • tlg86 said:

Root gone. Funny thing is, India were over 4 on Betfair yesterday.

Looks like they are virtually all gone

160 for 9
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

And this announcement for 16/17 years, not starting for a few weeks...what are they playing at. 100ks of share doses of Moderna are available.

I could be wrong but I think they are recommending Pfizer and to begin very shortly

Although its the BBC, so they are probably wrong. And when they say pfizer, they normally mean an mRNA, i.e. pfizer or moderna, as they are effectively interchangeable.
    To be honest I am fairly certain JVT indicated pfizer but I am willing to be corrected
    It'll be Pfizer, Moderna is not authorised for under 18s in the UK by the MHRA.
    edited August 2021
    Pulpstar said:

And this announcement for 16/17 years, not starting for a few weeks...what are they playing at. 100ks of share doses of Moderna are available.

It'll be Pfizer, Moderna is not authorised for under 18s in the UK by the MHRA.
    Is it not?...i stand corrected.

Yes just checked even in US, still hasn't been cleared for kids, still doing trials.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

29312 cases, 119 deaths.

Back on an upswing again then

I'll check when I get home but I think this hews pretty close to my half arsed model.
    Having now checked I'm wrong, my simple model is too aggressive and way over estimating now.

Need to tune down the exponential power factor from .347 to .3 to bring in line. Which is a huge step down.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

What is scary is the general public don't realise this.... I have to regularly tell my elderly parents, such and such is just not true...but I saw it on the BBC, Sky, and I read it in the newspaper...
    Which is why it’s so important they get their facts right, and why it’s so bad that they have utterly failed in their role of informing the public during the pandemic.

I don't think Moderna has been approved for under 18-year olds, has it?

To be honest I have no idea but the head of JCVI seemed very much on top of his brief and he kept emphasising that they are very cautious, especially when it comes to children, and I am sure parents will be grateful for that as their children do not need their permission to have the vaccine
    They shouldn't be cautious to the point of effectively overruling the MHRA. They're basically treating a vaccine which has passed many trials and has MHRA approval and the actual virus (Which hasn't passed any so far as I can tell) as ~ pari pasu risk for adolescents.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

29312 cases, 119 deaths.

I'll check when I get home but I think this hews pretty close to my half arsed model.
    Is the half arsed model the same as the half baked model?
  • felix said:

Scottish schools go back in 12 days
    felix said:

Blimey, that's a spectacularly silly comment.
    Quote of the day, from my lovely wife:

“So, why did you teach the Indians to play Cricket?”
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Here's another sequence:
    https://twitter.com/mrmikecowan/status/1420763353023090690

Won't even admit to being wrong (well, misleading, anyway).

File in the 'ignore permanently' bin.
    edited August 2021

tlg86 said:

Looks like they are virtually all gone

160 for 9
    Good job England bat dee...oh ...

I really wonder how much all the T20 and Hundred cricket the likes of Buttler plays messes up batting in red ball cricket. White ball famously doesn't swing / seam that much, especially after first few overs, where as especially in English conditions, the red ball can bend like a banana
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    tlg86 said:

At Eng 37/1 today India were 7. Nearly did it but (drat) did not.

felix said:

You're like a dog with a bone - any excuse to bash the government even when it follows the scientific advice. You need to get a grip.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

You are aware the JCVI are given their terms of reference by the Gov't ?
    Not sure what you are implying to be honest
    JVCI are a bit like NICE.

They have to take into account things other than medical effectiveness when making their decisions.

There’s a political decision to be made re: the costs and benefits of vaccinating children, prioritising children over boosters for vulnerable groups, and issues like the one-in-ten-million death of a teenager becoming front page news.
    This is true, but from their reports the key issue for both JCVI and MHRA is an ethical one: that the potential benefit to the individual child has to outweigh the risks to the same child. It isn't good enough to say that there is benefit to the population in having the child vaccinated and the risk to the child is low.

They are trading off very unlikely events: that the child gets serious Covid against the same child getting serious side effects from the vaccination. If the child is more likely to die or become seriously ill from the vaccine than they are if they don't have the vaccine, or there is an uncertainty about it, they can't ethically recommend the vaccine.

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Here's another sequence:

Reminds me of the DfT comparing train performance in Q4 (Jan-Mar) with Q3 (Oct-Dec) and saying how good it was (Q3, of course, being autumn and leaves on the line).
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Tweet has been deleted.....
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    The PM has quietly issued instructions to aides to review his controversial plan to fix social care, I understand. Some of them hope this is the start of a U-turn to abandon a rise in NICs.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/boris-johnson-conference-climate-change-already-deep-water-b949138.html
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    COP26 is in deep trouble, and Boris Johnson knows it. Privately, No10 has already significantly downgraded what Glasgow can achieve. An internal row is now underway between the PM's advisers on how low to set the bar. My @EveningStandard column today.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/boris-johnson-conference-climate-change-already-deep-water-b949138.html
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112
    felix said:

felix said:

You're like a dog with a bone - any excuse to bash the government even when it follows the scientific advice. You need to get a grip.
    You mean, like a dog with his bone?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

29312 cases, 119 deaths.

Yes, step 4 now feeding into the case numbers, however the age groups are going to be the least susceptible to hospitalisation so I'm not sure it's a huge deal.
    BREAKING: Number of covid positive patients in English hospitals falls below 5000 for 1st time since 25 July. Really looks as if the Summer Wave has peaked (and that people like me were too pessimistic when it came fearing how high peak might be). Never been happier to be wrong

https://twitter.com/HSJEditor/status/1422945162905505801?s=20
  • Scott_xP said:

The PM has quietly issued instructions to aides to review his controversial plan to fix social care, I understand. Some of them hope this is the start of a U-turn to abandon a rise in NICs.

Is this as factual as your last tweet which even the person tweeting it has deleted and apologised for
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    Pro_Rata said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

29312 cases, 119 deaths.

No cases by sample date are yet reporting higher than the previous week - that coincidentally last happened for 19/7 vs 12/7. So we are not on an upswing just yet, but I feel like the end of August will likely have slightly higher case rates than now - ticked up a little further by the restart of the Premier League and the likely relaxation of international holiday regulations - and those extra pub and plane opportunities to breathe other peoples' exhalates.
    What I can't fathom is how close we are to something akin to herd immunity, where infection decelerates to low levels.

92% adult antibodies makes about 70% of the population plus whatever kids have been infected. A lot of that is due to vaccination which, though good at slowing spread and excellent at preventing hospitalisation only represents 50-75% immunity in terms of spread prevention. My best finger in the air guess is that the practical immunity level we have is around 60-70%, based on near full Delta immunity from prior infection and partial immunity from vaccination.

And depending on the practical R within the UK, herd immunity for Delta should be around the 83-87% level.

That means a further 14-27% immunity needs to be acquired to allow case rate deceleration in a fully open society, and that range makes a massive difference in how much acceleration is possible in infections before we approach that point, and how far braking distance will overshoot. Vaccinating 16/17 shaves 1-2% off that ultimately, but at, say, a midpoint of 20% further immunity needed, that needs 10% of the population unvaccinated and catching COVID (substantially kids) plus 30% of the already partially counted as immune vaccinated population getting COVID (other combinations are available). In a fully open society the possibility of acceleratimg to 5% of the population getting COVID in a single week en route is not ridiculous if people don't self limit or governments don't restrict some things.

That amount of infection may still be more than we've had already.

If anything the sizeable variation in modelling outcomes reflects that the infection, and its possible impact on the health service, is more unpredictable now than even at the beginning, even if there is, thankfully, a much lower ceiling on worst case. But, with open society we would sail closer to that worst case than we were able to do earlier.

I still favour opening up gently, but it's a risk, and heaven alone knows how much dabbing the brakes will be needed this autumn.

• Freddie Wilde
    @fwildecricket
    ·
    12m
    Bumrah is swinging a Duke ball round corners on a green pitch at 140 kph with the floodlights on. If this was a boxing bout the referee would stop the fight. #ENGvIND
    edited August 2021
    felix said:

felix said:

Poppycock.

The scientific advice depends on what you ask the scientists to advise on. In this particular case, it interacts with lots of other areas of policy, such as vaccine passports, removing restrictions, education and exam policy. There's a hard deadline of the return to school, which as Peter Kyle pointed out in June, should have been taken into account.

What has now happened is that we've lost the window of opportunity simply because the JCVI left it too late to recommend this action (widely carried out elsewhere) by just a few weeks, which is pretty ridiculous however you look at it. That's not, BTW, a criticism of them - as I said, it depends on what they were asked to advise on. But government should look at the big picture.

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Here's another sequence:

I've just realised the best bit about today's case numbers compared to last wednesday - testing numbers are lower :D

Tuesday tests 720,252 (772186 moving avg)
    Last tuesday 797,755 (824277 moving avg)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Off to ConHome for @Sandpit for causing this England collapse.

I only said well done Root. And he’s still there.
    It was @Nigelb who mentioned collapse.
    You are clearly unacquainted with the infallible principle that any post which is even slightly optimistic about England's prospects leads to inevitable disaster.

Admittedly no fully blinded trials have been conducted, but otherwise, the evidence is unassailable.
    As major currents of philosophical thought go, is "don't jinx it" a universal human concept, or something particularly British?
    The answer to that (and @kinabalu 's similar question) is that it is, of course, a universal concept.
    However something about England renders the effect particularly powerful - and beyond that, the game of cricket is particularly sensitive to its perturbations.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

felix said:

felix said:

Poppycock.

The scientific advice depends on what you ask the scientists to advise on. In this particular case, it interacts with lots of other areas of policy, such as vaccine passports, removing restrictions, education and exam policy. There's a hard deadline of the return to school, which as Peter Kyle pointed out in June, should have been taken into account.

What has now happened is that we've lost the window of opportunity simply because the JCVI left it too late to recommend this action (widely carried out elsewhere) by just a few weeks, which is pretty ridiculous however you look at it. That's not, BTW, a criticism of them - as I said, it depends on what they were asked to advise on. But government should look at the big picture.
    I don't know why the actuarial types on here spend hours poring over figures and making statements that are then often disproved by the next days figures. Its like using a single poll to.prove a point.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited August 2021

Cheers everyone :D now back to work…

Having taught you about ethics let me now teach you about the art of ruthless delegation. It allows you to post much more on PB.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Freddie Wilde
    @fwildecricket
    ·
    12m
    Bumrah is swinging a Duke ball round corners on a green pitch at 140 kph with the floodlights on. If this was a boxing bout the referee would stop the fight. #ENGvIND

Can't judge things until both sides have batted. We can hope.
    edited August 2021
    Anyhoo you've all missed the big story of today, if not the year.

That big beautiful mofo, Alisson Ramses Becker, has signed a contract extension until 2027.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/439844-alisson-becker-signs-new-long-term-contract-with-liverpool-fc

felix said:

felix said:

Poppycock.

Where is your evidence that these things were not considered? You know that this whole issue is fraught with serious concerns about the value of the vaccine for the very young versus Covid 19. For the government to plough on before the relevant bodies had time to seriously consider it would have been jumped on with glee every time a youngster had a bad reaction.

As it happens there was an article in El Pais only yesterday pointing out that Spain's rapid rate of vaccination is about to stall as has happened in othe EU countries due to the impact of the summer holidays and all of the resultant dislocation.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-08-03/spains-vaccination-drive-half-of-20-29s-have-had-their-first-shot.html
  • 183 all out
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    kle4 said:

Freddie Wilde
    @fwildecricket
    ·
    12m

I think we’re 150 runs light tbh.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874

183 all out

Not. Looked like it did too much on first look.
    That is now...
  • 183 all out

Overturned on review

I have provided fake news and unequivocally apologise as one should when given fake news
    edited August 2021

183 all out

Not quite…

Edit: but a minute later…
  • They are out now for 183

And not fake news
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Here's another sequence:

And another basic error:

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840

183 all out

Overturned on review

I have provided fake news and unequivocally apologise as one should when given fake news
    Glad I'm not doing big bucks in-play betting based on your updates, G.
  • That has to be the most shameful and embarrassing performance by a British side against the Indians since the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

Ashley Giles = Reginald Dyer.
    Bumrah gives England the bums' rush.

(Note correct use of apostrophe.)
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708

That has to be the most shameful and embarrassing performance by a British side against the Indians since the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

Well we are beating them comfortably in the Olympics but cricket has always been India's sport of choice
    edited August 2021
    HYUFD said:

That has to be the most shameful and embarrassing performance by a British side against the Indians since the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

Well we are beating them comfortably in the Olympics but cricket has always been India's sport of choice
    Field Marshal Non Sequitur strikes again.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

lol.

Perhaps you should think if something is actually even remotely credible before posting it?
    I don't think any usable pitch is a sub 200 pitch in Test Cricket, but you at least still have a snigg of a chance.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    MattW said:

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Here's another sequence:

And another basic error:

Makes you wonder who would be most upset by that one. Ferguson, for obvious reasons, or iSAGE for the implication that they think this might not all end in disaster.
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

Field Marshal
    Was just about to suggest that was a more appropriate title than admiral, good edit, lol.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Selebian said:

MattW said:

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

🇬🇧 UK - 29,312

🇫🇷 FRANCE - 1,996
    🇩🇪 GERMANY - 1,776
    🇪🇸 SPAIN - 4,954
    🇮🇹 ITALY - 3,185

🇺🇸 USA - 15,081
    🇧🇷 BRAZIL - 20,503
    🇮🇳 INDIA - 30,549
    🇮🇩 INDONESIA - 33,900

Here's another sequence:

And another basic error:

Makes you wonder who would be most upset by that one. Ferguson, for obvious reasons, or iSAGE for the implication that they think this might not all end in disaster.
    The view is also very controversial, unless they think more than half of the deaths are yet to occur.
  • kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Field Marshal
    Was just about to suggest that was a more appropriate title than admiral, good edit, lol.
    I'm currently listening to an book on Admiral Nimitz, I have admirals in my head at the moment.
    edited August 2021
    The Offspring drummer Pete Parada claims he has been dropped for not getting COVID vaccinated

https://news.sky.com/story/the-offspring-drummer-pete-parada-claims-he-has-been-dropped-for-not-getting-covid-vaccinated-12372404

Being an anti-vaxxer in a band whose lead singer and founding member has a PhD in AIDs research, there is only ever going to be one result.

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Field Marshal
    I'm currently listening to an book on Admiral Nimitz, I have admirals in my head at the moment.
    Explains why you're all at sea.

The Offspring drummer Pete Parada claims he has been dropped for not getting COVID vaccinated

https://news.sky.com/story/the-offspring-drummer-pete-parada-claims-he-has-been-dropped-for-not-getting-covid-vaccinated-12372404

Being an anti-vaxxer in a band whose lead singer and founding member has a PhD in AIDs research, there is only ever going to be one result.

An inflammatory response ?
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720

He says it's for medical reasons
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Anyhoo you've all missed the big story of today, if not the year.

That big beautiful mofo, Alisson Ramses Becker, has signed a contract extension until 2027.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/439844-alisson-becker-signs-new-long-term-contract-with-liverpool-fc

Still 3rd next season.

kle4 said:

Freddie Wilde
    @fwildecricket
    ·
    12m

I think we’re 150 runs light tbh.
    Optimist.
    edited August 2021
    CatMan said:

He says it's for medical reasons
    Yes and no....he has also been spouting off about "vaccine hesitancy" and that the government and industries should never be mandating vaccinations for those who can have it.

They are all the "code words" the US anti-vaxxers love.
  • The Offspring drummer Pete Parada claims he has been dropped for not getting COVID vaccinated

I'm seeing The Offspring in Glasgow in November.

A week after I see Blondie, also in Glasgow.
    edited August 2021

Have you ever seen them before? The Offspring are one of the worst live bands I have ever seen....and I say as that a fan of their early albums (not the Pretty Fly for a White Guy crap).

Of that cohort of similar bands, the likes of Bad Religion and Pennywise are just fantastic live, the Offspring, despite being far more commercially successful, don't hold a torch to so many of the other bands in that genre
  • The Offspring drummer Pete Parada claims he has been dropped for not getting COVID vaccinated

Have you ever seen them before? The Offspring are one of the worst live bands I have ever seen....and I say as that a fan of their early albums (not the Pretty Fly for a White Guy crap).

Of that cohort of similar bands, the likes of Bad Religion and Pennywise are just fantastic live bands, the Offspring, despite being far more commercially successful, don't hold a torch to so many of the other bands in that genre
    I saw them live back in the early 2000s, they were ok.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Field Marshal
    You could try Andrew Lamberts' book called Admirals if you like that feeling.
    edited August 2021

Of that cohort of similar bands, the likes of Bad Religion and Pennywise are just fantastic live bands, the Offspring, despite being far more commercially successful, don't hold a torch to so many of the other bands in that genre
    I saw them live back in the early 2000s, they were ok.
    Dexter Holland is a super smart and talented guy, PhD, pilot, loads of successful businesses, but his singing....oh my oh my...flat as a pint of lager after 3hrs.

As I understand it, he's got a fairly serious long term immune condition, Guillain-Barré syndrome.
    edited August 2021

As I understand it, he's got a fairly serious long term immune condition, Guillain-Barré syndrome.
    That isn't the issue, that's his reason he gives for him not getting vaccinated, but he has been also spouting off anti-vaxxer stuff.

Edit:- Also CDC advice...

People who have previously had GBS may receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/underlying-conditions.html
  • Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Field Marshal
    You could try Andrew Lamberts' book called Admirals if you like that feeling.
    Cheers, I've always been a fan of the navies but read something about Dönitz which led me to Nimitz.

Of that cohort of similar bands, the likes of Bad Religion and Pennywise are just fantastic live, the Offspring, despite being far more commercially successful, don't hold a torch to so many of the other bands in that genre
    Well I'm hoping Debbie Harry and Shirley Manson make up for him being crap the week before.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited August 2021

That isn't the issue, that's his reason he gives for him not getting vaccinated, but he has been also spouting off anti-vaxxer stuff.
    Hmm, his statement (found here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSE_rkVnIgL/ ) seems quite fair to me, puts the medical issue front and centre and then makes the broader point about not judging people for private medical issues.

How this story has been reported is quite interesting in terms of what's been left in and what's been left out. The Guardian, for example, studiously avoids discussing any hint that he might, actually, have an autoimmune condition: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/04/why-dont-you-get-a-jab-offspring-drummer-ousted-after-refusing-covid-vaccine

edited August 2021

Hmm, his statement seems quite fair to me, puts the medical issue front and centre and then makes the broader point about not judging people for private medical issues.

How this story has been reported is quite interesting in terms of what's been left in and what's been left out.

See my link, CDC say you should still get vaccinated even with that condition.
  • What a shit Harry Kane is.

Harry Kane has ignored the threat of being fined by Tottenham Hotspur by spending another day in Florida and effectively ruling himself out of having to face Manchester City in the first game of the new Premier League season.

Telegraph Sport revealed on Tuesday that Kane had made a pit-stop in Florida on his way back from a holiday in the Bahamas, despite Tottenham’s disappointment that he did not return for pre-season training at the start of this week.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/08/04/harry-kane-set-miss-man-city-season-opener-spurs-striker-still/
  • Is there some secret anti-vaxxer buzz word I should be looking out for?
  • Is there some secret anti-vaxxer buzz word I should be looking out for?

It's not a buzzword but a phrase.

'I like pineapple on pizza.'
This discussion has been closed.