Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A novel approach to democracy from a Republican Senate candidate – give parents extra voting power –

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

So what we really need is some polling on the real question of the moment: Boris Johnston: fucking genius or luckiest man on the planet?

The evidence tends to the former:

Astonishing hit rate on successful vaccines and simply brilliant contracts organised by (surely) Dame Kate.
    Superb call on delaying the second vaccinations and focussing on the first , decried by various “experts” now accepted as the most effective methodology.
    A continuation of the lockdown until within 3 days of the peak, just on the right side to be sure.

There have been lesser triumphs; the way the vaccine roll out has been achieved; the building from scratch of vaccine production in this country, I could go on all night. But really, genius has to be the winner, doesn’t it?

Lol.

There have been a lot of politicians and demagogues through history who (along with their unquestioning and adoring fanbase) have mistaken a run of good fortune for genius.

PS. You seem to have missed out all of his complete fuck ups! keep believing David. One day even you will thing "Boris Johnson? Prime Minister? WTF?!"
    Test and trace springs to mind. Almost a complete failure on every level, being led by a failed telephone saleswoman who got the gig because of who she was having sex with.

For the amount of money they spent on it, spent intelligently, schools could have been kept open. It would not have been easy but it could have been done.
    Can you post spoiler warnings before you saddle me with mind bleach moments like dido harding having sex please. Its merely polite
    A trigger warning, surely?

I don’t think a film that included Dido Harding having sex would need any spoiler warnings. After all, nobody would watch it.
    We live in a world where people like to have sex with bicycles
    That must be a hell of a ride.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    alex_ said:

If Blair was Labour leader right now I think Labour would have 10% lead minimum in the polls

I know. And imagine Robin Cook's withering take downs of all this chaos!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

So what we really need is some polling on the real question of the moment: Boris Johnston: fucking genius or luckiest man on the planet?

Astonishing hit rate on successful vaccines and simply brilliant contracts organised by (surely) Dame Kate.
    Superb call on delaying the second vaccinations and focussing on the first , decried by various “experts” now accepted as the most effective methodology.
    A continuation of the lockdown until within 3 days of the peak, just on the right side to be sure.

There have been lesser triumphs; the way the vaccine roll out has been achieved; the building from scratch of vaccine production in this country, I could go on all night. But really, genius has to be the winner, doesn’t it?

Lol.

There have been a lot of politicians and demagogues through history who (along with their unquestioning and adoring fanbase) have mistaken a run of good fortune for genius.

PS. You seem to have missed out all of his complete fuck ups! keep believing David. One day even you will thing "Boris Johnson? Prime Minister? WTF?!"
    Test and trace springs to mind. Almost a complete failure on every level, being led by a failed telephone saleswoman who got the gig because of who she was having sex with.

For the amount of money they spent on it, spent intelligently, schools could have been kept open. It would not have been easy but it could have been done.
    Can you post spoiler warnings before you saddle me with mind bleach moments like dido harding having sex please. Its merely polite

I don’t think a film that included Dido Harding having sex would need any spoiler warnings. After all, nobody would watch it.
    It’s quite kinky though, because it involves chains.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Just wait for the economic mess to be discovered, then the Tories are really going to tank.

https://www.cityam.com/vaccine-rollout-and-surging-consumer-spending-to-fuel-fastest-economic-growth-since-ww2/
    Economic growth numbers for Q3 could are going to be absolutely enormous across the developed world. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10% annualised growth numbers. (Bear in mind, the US reports annualised numbers, and the UK and Europe report quarterly, so the Americans always look to be doing 4x better.)
    There's a more than evens chance that the UK recovers to pre-pandemic levels by the end of August and makes up a pretty substantial bit of the lost potential from the last 18 months so that in 2022 we're actually only around 1-2% behind where whole would otherwise have been.
    I think there's about a 30% chance that by 2024 the UK is actually ahead of where we would have been otherwise.

Strong momentum continuing, plus trillions of fiscal expenditure globally, plus innovations having been developed to improve efficiencies.
    A marginal improvement on our demographic profile...? 🤫
  • Options
    I think the idea our economy is not going to be in a state over the next few years is for the birds. The Tories have managed our economy dreadfully over the last decade
  • Options
    Prof Peston has doubled down on yesterday's disinformation:

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    2h
    sort of amazed anyone should think that is controversial or tendentious
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Lol.

I assumed it was possibly dura ace he does like his bikes
  • Options

I think the idea our economy is not going to be in a state over the next few years is for the birds. The Tories have managed our economy dreadfully over the last decade

Which was the last govenremnt to manage the economy effectively for long periods of time without its policies causing periodic crises and unintended consequences?

I’m going to suggest Macmillan, 1957-63. And even that was hardly an unmixed success.

To quote Morgan Kelly’s acid comment on the Irish crash, ‘the stark lesson of the last thirty years is that while the fiscal record of Fianna Fáil has been decidedly mixed, that of the various Fine Gael led coalitions has been uniformly dismal.’
  • Options

Counter factual

1) Do you think we would have been better under Corbyn
    2) If not what we he have not spent on? Furlough, Business support? Those are the two biggies
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    ydoethur said:

Which was the last govenremnt to manage the economy effectively for long periods of time without its policies causing periodic crises and unintended consequences?

I’m going to suggest Macmillan, 1957-63. And even that was hardly an unmixed success.

To quote Morgan Kelly’s acid comment on the Irish crash, ‘the stark lesson of the last thirty years is that while the fiscal record of Fianna Fáil has been decidedly mixed, that of the various Fine Gael led coalitions has been uniformly dismal.’
    The Major government 1993-97? Admittedly public services were run down, sleaze etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Besides my point wasnt ours is not going to be in a state....merely its going to be like a blip that the covid recovery fund is going to cause in the eu....I fully expect all sorts of crap coming from that
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Major government 1993-97? Admittedly public services were run down, sleaze etc.
    We can’t really just chop 1992 out as if it didn’t happen.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

2) If not what we he have not spent on? Furlough, Business support? Those are the two biggies
    The notion of McDonnell being in the Treasury last year is absolutely horrific.

Forget business support, he'd have happily let the economy fail and nationalised the whole bloody country instead.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

FPT, on the fall-off in cases:

rkrkrk said:

Really incredible. It doesn't make sense that we have reached herd immunity given the completely different levels of prevalence across regions?

Feels like given how sudden the drop is -> must be to do with the schools closing.
    But the fall in Scotland is so steep, it's similar to the lockdown impact in January.

It's certainly nothing to do with herd immunity because, if that were the cause of the reduction in cases, it would be a plateau first and then a gradual fall-off. And I think it's too early to be schools closing - that effect should be about to kick in (together with any offsetting increase from the great Freedom Day damp squib).

Such a steep fall is frankly rather mysterious. The best explanation seems to be that there was a sharp temporary peak because of the football, and maybe it is just that.

Anyway, it's not often that we get unexpectedly good news!
    Indeed - another good point. I can't explain it. I think schools must be part of explanation-> because Scottish cases started falling earlier, and their schools also closed earlier?
    Um, would it be impolite to point out that Scottish interest in the Euros also a few finished earlier than England's?
    Surely all Scottish fans were faithfully cheering England on from then on though?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

This is the trap Labour will fall into again. They'll bang on about the lowest 10% being the same or worse off but it won't translate to the the middle 60% who will likely be better off compared to when they started the pandemic.

The economy looks different for different parts of society. For people in the middle the pandemic hasn't been that bad, lots of money saved, lots of new ways to live that make them more comfortable and choices of how to live post-pandemic. They simply won't recognise Labour banging on about how the economy is shit because for them it won't be, it will be better than ever.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Really incredible. It doesn't make sense that we have reached herd immunity given the completely different levels of prevalence across regions?

Feels like given how sudden the drop is -> must be to do with the schools closing.
    But the fall in Scotland is so steep, it's similar to the lockdown impact in January.

It's certainly nothing to do with herd immunity because, if that were the cause of the reduction in cases, it would be a plateau first and then a gradual fall-off. And I think it's too early to be schools closing - that effect should be about to kick in (together with any offsetting increase from the great Freedom Day damp squib).

Such a steep fall is frankly rather mysterious. The best explanation seems to be that there was a sharp temporary peak because of the football, and maybe it is just that.

Indeed - another good point. I can't explain it. I think schools must be part of explanation-> because Scottish cases started falling earlier, and their schools also closed earlier?
    Um, would it be impolite to point out that Scottish interest in the Euros also a few finished earlier than England's?
    Surely all Scottish fans were faithfully cheering England on from then on though?
    I am sure @malcolmg was in the pub lustily cheering every game.

Which side he was cheering for is a different question, of course...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Prof Peston has doubled down on yesterday's disinformation:

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    2h
    sort of amazed anyone should think that is controversial or tendentious

Yesterday I said "He's a bit thick". That needs revising, he's thick.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

Forget business support, he'd have happily let the economy fail and nationalised the whole bloody country instead.
    I vaguely recall Labour having some policies on pharmaceutical companies which would probably have ruled out any of them providing the U.K. with any vaccines. If Corbyn’s the anti vaxxer (who still hasn’t had a jab?) had even been interested in pursuing one.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

From mid-1961 Macmillan hit choppy waters economically. The March 1962 Orpington by election highlighted that - as did Selwyn Lloyd's Budget that year. It all culminated in the mid-summer 'night of the long knives' when Macmillan sacked a third of his Cabinet.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

The poor polling for the Tories on the previous thread...

I can't imagine "FREEEEEEEDOMMMMM DAY" is doing the Tories much good in the polls given the pingdemic. Its been the #1 story the media have been talking about for a couple of weeks now.

I got contacted by a friend who I was trying to sort out going to meet up with and they are in isolation.....for the 3rd time in 5-6 weeks....they literally come out of it, got pinged the next day or so, and none of those times have they had COVID.

To say they were pissed about Boris / government would be like saying Prof Peston was a bit of a wally.

Don't worry, the close polling is a temporary aboration. Normal service will be resumed over the next week or two.

Mr Johnson's epidemiological calls against so called expert opinion have been the work of a genius, and he may well be rewarded for them. However, the pingdemic, the results of which are incredibly similar to what I assumed would happen post-Brexit ( supply issues and inflation, for starters) needs some work, or at least a massive row with the EU to get polling back on track
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

rkrkrk said:

Except its not certain. The herd immunity effect was already there, the fact is 90% of adults had antibodies already. There is no reason to have a plateau if the virus was as I thought just filling in the gaps where there were pools of transmissability due to low vaccine takeup in certain areas or demographics.

Once the virus has burnt out through them, the virus is running fast into a wall of antibodies. So yes absolutely herd immunity could play into why there is no plateau as herd immunity means the virus is getting strangled off and unable to take off like it could in the past, even without restrictions.
    I think it is near-certain. The virus spread rate and the antibody levels are not uniformly distributed. If you've got (say) 100 locations, the virus will run out of potential hosts initially in just a few of them, the others will keep on ramping up. So you'd expect a fairly gradual hump, not a sharp peak - and this is a very sharp fall-off from the peak.
    I'm sorry but in my opinion that completely misreads the situation. You don't need a gradual hump because we've actually had a gradual hump - the quite limited rise in cases we've had has been as restrictions were lifted. Had they been under past levels of restrictions, without the vaccines, and with Delta then the virus would have spread much faster. Instead its already been limited at how it could spread and when less than 10% of all adults lacked antibodies there's a very limited room for it to spread.

Exponential growth doesn't work in a limited population set and by having 90% of the population being somewhat immune to the virus we've seriously restricted the viruses ability to spread.

The remaining 10% can realistically only be infected once typically. So if someone was exposed and infected last month then who are they going to infect now if they were the unvaccinated person in that social circle?
    No-one. That's the entire point. So growth ends there, but not elsewhere. Hence a slow flattening and then falling-off of the peak, the width of which is determined by the dispersion in the dates on which local immunity is reached. Which isn't a few days, the width of this peak.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    My god the BBC is shit. I just watched the One Show.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited July 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

Weird this variant.

I don't think it's that weird: it's a highly transmissible variant hitting countries with relatively high levels of vaccination. It means that it races through unvaccinated communities (particularly dense urban ones), but when it hits lower density groups with more vaccine protection, then it finds it very difficult to gain a foothold.

Combine this with the end of the football and school holidays, and you have a big drop off in case numbers.
    It's still a bit weird as the peak occurred faster in England than it did in Scotland.

The whole reason I selected my peak figure and day guess was modelling it on the lag from Scottish schools closing to peak day in Scotland.
    The end of the football will have been a factor too.
    Looking at when Scotland ended in the football, when Scottish schools closed and when the Scottish peak was vs England dates for similar I would now say the football was the key component.

This is is even clearer when you see that the case rate for England and Scotland both starts surging at the same time (on the opening day of the euros) after both had been declining.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

Weird this variant.

I don't think it's that weird: it's a highly transmissible variant hitting countries with relatively high levels of vaccination. It means that it races through unvaccinated communities (particularly dense urban ones), but when it hits lower density groups with more vaccine protection, then it finds it very difficult to gain a foothold.

Combine this with the end of the football and school holidays, and you have a big drop off in case numbers.
    It's still a bit weird as the peak occurred faster in England than it did in Scotland.

The whole reason I selected my peak figure and day guess was modelling it on the lag from Scottish schools closing to peak day in Scotland.
    The end of the football will have been a factor too.
    Looking at when Scotland ended in the football, when Scottish schools closed and when the Scottish peak was vs England dates for similar I would now say the football was the key component.

This is is even clearer when you see that the case rate for England and Scotland both starts surging at the same time (on the opening day of the euros) after both had been declining.
    I think the football was a significant factor in numbers of cases, but possibly an even larger factor in the pingdemic. 30m (and not far off that the Wednesday before) a huge number basically spending several hours in circumstances which couldn’t have been better designed to trigger significant numbers of “close contacts” on the app. If the pingdemic sustains for any length of time then it will be because of people exploiting it to get paid time off work IMO.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

Sean_F said:

The fall in conservative ratings has happened since freedom day and the pingdemic and, as most of us have said , the pingdemic is an inexplicable own goal, especially since it ceases to apply from the 16th August

Boris is reported to be very angry at the level of vaccine uptake in the 18-24 group and something has to be done with this group.

Vaccine passports for all sporting events and clubbing is a policy I support 100%, but I notice there is quite a fall in support from 2019 conservative voters who like some of their mps are instinctively against this policy

Anyway, if the encouraging news continues on the fall in cases maybe Boris has made the correct call, and to be honest, for the sake of everyone I hope he has

English hospital admissions look to have peaked now.

It does look as though the government has made the right call on reopening.
    I’m expecting two more days of higher hospitalisation figures.
    Partly from looking at 2% of the cases-by-specimen date averaged figure from a week earlier, and partly from the rate of increase in numbers in hospital up to this morning.

The admission numbers are usually final, once they arrive....
    Wait for Tuesday and Wednesday. I fear those will be higher (in England, anyway) and then we’ll see the (sustained) drop begin.

Mind you, I'll be delighted if they’re not higher.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

He'd have set us back 100 years. It would however have been very interesting to see, especially if you could do so from the safety of not being in the UK. Oddly much of the financial support for the likes of McDonnell has historically been not in the UK.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,938
    alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

I vaguely recall Labour having some policies on pharmaceutical companies which would probably have ruled out any of them providing the U.K. with any vaccines. If Corbyn’s the anti vaxxer (who still hasn’t had a jab?) had even been interested in pursuing one.
    No-one knows if Jeremy Corbyn (*) has had the jab or not. He certainly does not want to say if he has or not, using the excuse that, in the past, 'people' have said nasty things about his health.

Which I take as meaning he has not. Yes, people say nasty things all the time - he was probably chortling when sick ***** like Kevin Maguire were calling for David Cameron to release his medical records because of his son - but this crisis transcends that. Especially when his own brother is so much on the other side of the argument. And saying "Yes, I have had the vaccine" is hardly saying "I once got syphilis from an East German motorcycle repairwoman."

Corbyn's refusal to say whether he has had the vaccine or not is a good indication his handling of the crisis would have been much worse than even Boris's.

(*) I think it's fair safe to say Piers Corbyn has not had it ...
  • Options
    edited July 2021

alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

No-one knows if Jeremy Corbyn (*) has had the jab or not. He certainly does not want to say if he has or not, using the excuse that, in the past, 'people' have said nasty things about his health.

Which I take as meaning he has not. Yes, people say nasty things all the time - he was probably chortling when sick ***** like Kevin Maguire were calling for David Cameron to release his medical records because of his son - but this crisis transcends that. Especially when his own brother is so much on the other side of the argument. And saying "Yes, I have had the vaccine" is hardly saying "I once got syphilis from an East German motorcycle repairwoman."

Corbyn's refusal to say whether he has had the vaccine or not is a good indication his handling of the crisis would have been much worse than even Boris's.

Of course he's had the jab. I'd be amazed if Piers Corbyn hasn't had it too. They're stupid, but self-interested.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This is the trap Labour will fall into again. They'll bang on about the lowest 10% being the same or worse off but it won't translate to the the middle 60% who will likely be better off compared to when they started the pandemic.

The economy looks different for different parts of society. For people in the middle the pandemic hasn't been that bad, lots of money saved, lots of new ways to live that make them more comfortable and choices of how to live post-pandemic. They simply won't recognise Labour banging on about how the economy is shit because for them it won't be, it will be better than ever.
    I think you're wrong Max, it's going to be bad for a lot more people than just those at the bottom. Austerity and Tory economics has set us up extremely badly.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

Yes, to be fair I suppose it is possible that Corbyn’s has had it and is just “sticking to his principles” on not revealing private medical details. But IMO “sticking to principles” is definitely not something you would want from a leader in this crisis. One of the few things I would say in Johnson’s favour is that I do actually think his instincts are against lockdown, but he has (often belatedly and at great cost) been prepared to go against them. I don’t trust him in general one bit, but ultimately I am glad to have to have some one in charge whose “instincts” (on govt restrictions) I trust. So even if things like vaccine passports happen, I would hold out hope that there is enough there that they really would be a temporary measure.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

Of course he's had the jab. I'd be amazed if Piers Corbyn hasn't had it too. They're stupid, but self-interested.
    Piers Corbyn seems to be genuinely mad with some of his conspiracy theories, which I doubt is entirely an act. I'd believe he really hasn't had it, hes been so dangerous spreading stuff that I feel the professionalism if vaccine volunteers would have been sorely tested.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    edited July 2021

MaxPB said:

I think you're wrong Max, it's going to be bad for a lot more people than just those at the bottom. Austerity and Tory economics has set us up extremely badly.
    Put some numbers on it. What are you thinking in terms of unemployment, inflation, interest rates and house prices over the next couple of years?
  • Options
    Already we have RPI inflation of 3.9%.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Omnium said:

alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

Piers Corbyn seems to be genuinely mad with some of his conspiracy theories, which I doubt is entirely an act. I'd believe he really hasn't had it, hes been so dangerous spreading stuff that I feel the professionalism if vaccine volunteers would have been sorely tested.
    The chances anyone jabbing him is even aware of him or his ideas is small.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    At the rate we are currently vaccinating, the total number who have had a second jab will overtake those who have had their first.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417

I was in a cafe in a park in Chichester today and some ghastly woman on the table adjacent to me was talking to her friend, both late 40s , kids in tow, and I heard her say how delighted this awful nonsense was over and how much she enjoyed seeing people literally shy away from her because she was not wearing a mask.

I didn't respond because she didn't deserve the conversation that she was obviously itching for. What would others have done in the circumstances?

I just thought what a nasty person.

why was she a nasty person? Are you not glad this awful nonsense is over? I would have agreed with her.There is more to life than living in a mask
  • Options
    I’m confused. Root c&b by Rashid. Why aren’t they on the same team?
  • Options

At the rate we are currently vaccinating, the total number who have had a second jab will overtake those who have had their first.

The perils of being counted out (in both senses) after just one?

(PS I know)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2021
    tlg86 said:

I’m confused. Root c&b by Rashid. Why aren’t they on the same team?

The hundred had all the england players split up, so each team got roughly the same number of the big names. Lots of players aren't playing for the team that is local to their county team.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Omnium said:

alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

The chances anyone jabbing him is even aware of him or his ideas is small.

i doubt he has been jabbed because he has strong principles. He is not a politician but a protester . Now I dont agree with him about vaccination and think its best if everyone does get vaccinated but I do agree with him about a lot of lockdown measures causing more harm than good.If lockdowns worked we would have needed only one.Still we are in a better place now than Australia who are obsessing about a few cases to the point of stopping people leaving their houses . We on the whole have done well with a first class vaccination programme and procurement and being more sensible than most countries about less extreme lockdown measures .Not sure labour would have been though.

Also how ridiculous it is to look at prosecuting (persecuting?) that ex nurse for comparing medics to Nazis. It may be stupid and OTT but how is it criminal .She is clearly not of right mind , why bully her?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

What do you think it peaks at and will the BoE raise rates anytime soon?
  • Options
    edited July 2021

MaxPB said:

The economic fundamentals are still really strong, people are going to be surprised as to how quickly the economy grows in the second half.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The economic fundamentals are still really strong, people are going to be surprised as to how quickly the economy grows in the second half.
    I don't agree I am afraid, I think the economy is in an extremely poor state and that will soon be seen. An initial boom yes - but not sustained.

Hope you're right.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    England men's players will meet with the England and Wales Cricket Board as some consider pulling out of this winter's Ashes if their families are not allowed to travel to Australia.

----

Why are they so keen to travel half way around the world to endure lockdown again?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited July 2021
    Looks like The Ashes could be very one sided thanks to Australia's zero Covid policies.

England men's players will meet with the England and Wales Cricket Board as some consider pulling out of this winter's Ashes if their families are not allowed to travel to Australia.

Talks between players, the ECB and the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA) are due this week.

Australia has some of the strictest Covid-19 protocols in the world.

Players who take part in the T20 World Cup and the Ashes face the prospect of being away from home for four months.

The first Ashes Test in Brisbane begins on 8 December, but players who also take part in the T20 World Cup - starting in October - are due to leave the UK in mid-September.

They would then potentially not return home until after the final Test in Perth ends on 18 January.

An update to the ECB from Cricket Australia and the Australian government is due in early August.

The situation is complicated by parts of Australia being in lockdown, while the five Ashes Tests will be played in five different states, which have their own regulations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57976072
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

As a parent I support this policy.

As a supporter of democracy, what a silly policy.

Reminds me of the three fifths clause in the original constitution.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the inspiration.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

Weird this variant.

Football. Loads of indoor socialising, shouting, screaming and singing inside pubs on Saturday night, Wednesday night and Sunday night. Scotland only really had one major match against England. England had 3 knock out matches and a final.
    But quite a few Scots would have watched the Euros, especially the England matches.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

justin124 said:

Well I hope interest rates hit at least 20%.

The last decade plus has been so shit for us savers.
  • Options

----

Why are they so keen to travel half way around the world to endure lockdown again?

Australia really are in a mess with covid now .
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413

MaxPB said:

That's what remains to be seen, and it will have a strong influence on whether the Conservatives win in 2023 or lose in 2024.

There is a sweet landing zone, where there's a bit of inflation to grease the wheels of rebalancing, but not too much. Where wages (and pensions) go up across the board, but house prices stay flattish and it doesn't matter if public sector pay is frozen. Critically, where interest rates don't have to increase, because then house prices will fall and the door to a world of pain opens.

That landing zone looks awfully small, though, and you-know-what (disturbing global supply lines into the UK when lots of money is being released into the system) won't help.

To be honest, if the government navigates all of that, they deserve another go.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    tlg86 said:

justin124 said:

It's a different kind of inflation than we're used to - cause by shortages of production, not overheated demand. I have no idea how high it will go or how long it will stay elevated. But the cure is easy - open up supply.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807

alex_ said:

If Blair was Labour leader right now I think Labour would have 10% lead minimum in the polls

The thing is, everyone bemoans a lack of talent on the Labour side and, for this phase of opposition, I don't think that's right. And almost all of it is female - not because buggin's turn, but because that is the way it is.

Labour have been very manneref in the pandemic, and the shadow cabinet hugely controlled. I'm hoping b they've used the time to put together a solid policy platform.

What I'd like now is the tactical approach of the Italian squad at WC 82, cautious in the group phases only to explode in the knockout phase. I want a squad of Labour women, shad cab and beyond, pushed forward in the media to hammer the government, to play with freedom from the solid base of a Labour platform, from which they can push on from the personal politics of their campaigning styles to the grander concerns of tearing apart wholesale ineptitude..I want the next 2-3 years of government to feel like being hunted by a crack tag team of velociraptors.

When I thought we were going to get turned over in Barley & Spen, that was my template for a Rayner opposition (I'm unconvinced of Rayner as leader, but felt it woyld have been shot to nothing territory and worth a go).

So, whatever their positions I'd like to see the abundant feist from across the Labour spectrum deployed freely in the service of team SKS, whether it is Kendall, Phillips, McGovern (who needs only to deploy her exasperated face) l; Rayner, RAK and Creasy;,Thornberry and ANOther who can be house trained and onside from the left. I'm sure I'm missing many names here,and you don't have to like all of these people, but the point is this - Labour have more than enough to make the government's life hell should they so wish.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

----

It is the bloody Ashes.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

justin124 said:

Far from clear really - though 5% RPI inflation is pretty likely.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    £40k of merchandise sold at Old Trafford yesterday. Wow! This thing might work @thehundred

https://twitter.com/gurneyhf/status/1419696381661523977?s=19

I think it is as much to do with people going mad now they are allowed out.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

alex_ said:

The thing is, everyone bemoans a lack of talent on the Labour side and, for this phase of opposition, I don't think that's right. And almost all of it is female - not because buggin's turn, but because that is the way it is.

Labour have been very manneref in the pandemic, and the shadow cabinet hugely controlled. I'm hoping b they've used the time to put together a solid policy platform.

What I'd like now is the tactical approach of the Italian squad at WC 82, cautious in the group phases only to explode in the knockout phase. I want a squad of Labour women, shad cab and beyond, pushed forward in the media to hammer the government, to play with freedom from the solid base of a Labour platform, from which they can push on from the personal politics of their campaigning styles to the grander concerns of tearing apart wholesale ineptitude..I want the next 2-3 years of government to feel like being hunted by a crack tag team of velociraptors.

When I thought we were going to get turned over in Barley & Spen, that was my template for a Rayner opposition (I'm unconvinced of Rayner as leader, but felt it woyld have been shot to nothing territory and worth a go).

So, whatever their positions I'd like to see the abundant feist from across the Labour spectrum deployed freely in the service of team SKS, whether it is Kendall, Phillips, McGovern (who needs only to deploy her exasperated face) l; Rayner, RAK and Creasy;,Thornberry and ANOther who can be house trained and onside from the left. I'm sure I'm missing many names here,and you don't have to like all of these people, but the point is this - Labour have more than enough to make the government's life hell should they so wish.
    There is something majestic in that delusional ambition . Good luck!
  • Options
    The yellowy rocket ones in the hundred are collapsing faster than an England test lineup.
  • Options
    One of the shittier things EE/BT, Vodafone, o2 and others have done is build in annual price rises mid contract of 3.9% plus CPI.

So it is possible that your broadband and mobile contracts go up by nearly 10% for the next few years.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I suppose Northern Powerhouse would have been too obvious a team name, as opposed to Northern Superchargers?
  • Options
    edited July 2021

£40k of merchandise sold at Old Trafford yesterday. Wow! This thing might work @thehundred

https://twitter.com/gurneyhf/status/1419696381661523977?s=19

I think it is as much to do with people going mad now they are allowed out.

would have been better if it was £100K of stuff sold. Is that one of the stats they show on TV.I presume it is on at Trent Bridge tonight given the cheers I am getting from my house arrest garden.
  • Options

----

It is the bloody Ashes.
    Missing families for 4 months was the norm in the pre flying era. On the other hand if things continue as they are going the Aussie cricketers might fancy the idea of holding them somewhere else...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Kaboom.

Westminster Voting Intention (25 July):

Conservative 40% (-2)
    Labour 36% (+3)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (-1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (–)
    Reform UK 4% (+1)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 19 July

Redfield and Wilton

4% is the highest I've seen for Reform UK.
    Reform's advance is only thing that ensures no more lockdowns and no vaccine passports.
    Right: so it's not the fact that (a) Boris Johnson is not some evil power crazed loony, (b) lockdowns are economically ruinous or (c) lockdowns are really unpopular

It's the fact that Reform *might* be up to 4% in the polls.
    Yes.
    And when Reform disappears back to (close to) zero, will that mean his power crazed urges come to the fore again, and he proposes new and sweeping lockdowns.

(As an aside, I am in awe of your ability to rewrite reality to match your prognostications. That's a real skill.)
    Don't forget that Reform won a national election only two years ago under their previous name of the Brexit Party.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,938
    Omnium said:

alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

Why 'of course' ?

JC is 72 years old. Piers is 74. Take up in the 70-80 age group has been high, but not 100% (assuming population data is correct). If that's right, there's thousands of people of their age unvaxed. They're both very opinionated and stuck in their ways, and both have a history of arguing against the system.

The odd thing is this: if he has had the vax and isn't saying he's had it, then he's as reprehensible as his odious elder brother. For some God-known reason people look up to JC, and his saying unequivocally he has had it might persuade a fair few people to get the jab - especially in certain ethnic minorities.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

alex_ said:

Sounds like my Round The Horne theory- Starmer as Kenneth Horne, the mostly calm straight man (though capable of deadpan delivery of showstoppers when needed) surrounded by louder characters like Kenneth Williams. Get the attacks done whilst allowing Starmer to look like a PM in waiting.

But how willing is the PLP to attack Johnson rather than Starmer?
  • Options
    They're not pro-insurrectionists, they're just really keen to make sure their are no consequences for insurrection

https://twitter.com/grace_panetta/status/1419735235089031173?s=19
  • Options
    X celeb has got covid despite being double jabbed is now the go to story in the tabloids.

I hope it doesn't last as long as Diana stories....
  • Options
    Slow news day?

Nikola Tesla, pioneer of alternating current electricity, might have been shocked to know how his legacy would cause a row between European states.

Serbia's central bank has threatened to take action with the EU if its neighbour Croatia puts the late great inventor on its coins.

Croatia wants his face on its euros when it joins the currency in 2023.

But Serbia claims him for its own because he saw himself as a Serb though born in what is now Croatia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57969489
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Slow news day?

Nikola Tesla, pioneer of alternating current electricity, might have been shocked to know how his legacy would cause a row between European states.

Serbia's central bank has threatened to take action with the EU if its neighbour Croatia puts the late great inventor on its coins.

But Serbia claims him for its own because he saw himself as a Serb though born in what is now Croatia.

Cannot Serbia do the same with their coins?
  • Options
    Four days now into 10 days of house arrest as my daughter tested positive with covid . I have never done 4 days before without leaving the house for at least a stroll out. It is bonkers if people think this is a way to live .Australia you must be mad with zero covid restrictions
  • Options

kle4 said:

Slow news day?

Not enough that you can do something too, you have to stop other people doing it to have the real power.

That's why we now have a Republic of North Macedonia.
  • Options
    I do kind of like the player profile photos in the Hundred - they're so cheesy, but they committed to it so it kind of works,
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,385

very good

:smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    One big problem for the hundred, in a couple of days most of the big names leave to play for England.
  • Options
    This site is so middle class, we know this entirely by the cricket talk
  • Options

kle4 said:

Slow news day?

"might have been shocked"

Electricity. Shocked.

Someone is having fun.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Slow news day?

Electricity. Shocked.

Someone is having fun.
    Watt are we going on about now?
  • Options

Four days now into 10 days of house arrest as my daughter tested positive with covid . I have never done 4 days before without leaving the house for at least a stroll out. It is bonkers if people think this is a way to live .Australia you must be mad with zero covid restrictions

10 days? Luxury.

We did 3 months last year.
  • Options

One of the shittier things EE/BT, Vodafone, o2 and others have done is build in annual price rises mid contract of 3.9% plus CPI.

So it is possible that your broadband and mobile contracts go up by nearly 10% for the next few years.

Don't think CPI will hit 6.1%, would be pretty crazy.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324

For more than a year, I've been going out just once a week, when my support bubble would drive me to Sainsbury's. This week he is otherwise engaged so it will be a fortnight. It is surprising what you can get used to. See the last couple of threads for reminiscences of time spent in various of Her Majesty's hotels. Good luck, and to your daughter.
  • Options

if you are told to self isolate you can't take a walk around the block? Seriously is that the rule?

• Options
    edited July 2021

if you are told to self isolate you can't take a walk around the block? Seriously is that the rule?

yeah . You must not exercise out of your house is the rule or shop . Still at least for four days in a row my 17 year old daughter is talking to us (normally never see her!)
  • Options
    Most almighty thunderstorm raging over Birmingham at the moment. Can hear it all the way to Cannock Chase (and see it, too). Apparently they’ve had eight millimetres of rain in the last 45 minutes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Slow news day?

Electricity. Shocked.

Someone is having fun.
    Will Croatia change their mind and do a Volt-face?
  • Options

Looks like The Ashes could be very one sided thanks to Australia's zero Covid policies.

Well, it’s nice to have a convenient excuse.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Lol.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm

There is bound to be someone who would eagerly watch
    I think there's a missing 'some' in the first sentence.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    alex_ said:

Pagan2 said:

Counter factual

What like insisting on supplying vaccines at cost? But that happened in this reality. And whether or not JC has been vaccinated, he has not succumbed to the plague or needed to be talked out of passing it on to Her Majesty.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Slow news day?

They want Tesla to be exclusively Serbian, with not a hint of Croatian.
  • Options

Aren't most people middle class?

Anyway, upper/middle/working class is so last year, granddad, these days it's about Elite/established middle/technical middle/new affluent/traditional working/emergent service/precarious proletariat*.

*For some reason this hodgepodge doesn't seem to have caught on.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Lol.

Well, obviously not all bicycles. That doesn't need saying.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Slow news day?

Electricity. Shocked.

Someone is having fun.
    Current affairs.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    edited July 2021

It's largely a myth that cricket is a middle-class sport. When I joined my local team I was shocked by how working-class it was compared to what I was expecting. I'd got entirely the wrong idea from Richie Benaud's smooth style of commentary on TV. You can buy a ticket for most cricket matches outside London for about £30. How does that compare to going to watch football?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Kaboom.

Westminster Voting Intention (25 July):

Conservative 40% (-2)
    Labour 36% (+3)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (-1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (–)
    Reform UK 4% (+1)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 19 July

Redfield and Wilton

4% is the highest I've seen for Reform UK.
    Reform's advance is only thing that ensures no more lockdowns and no vaccine passports.
    Right: so it's not the fact that (a) Boris Johnson is not some evil power crazed loony, (b) lockdowns are economically ruinous or (c) lockdowns are really unpopular

It's the fact that Reform *might* be up to 4% in the polls.
    Yes.
    And when Reform disappears back to (close to) zero, will that mean his power crazed urges come to the fore again, and he proposes new and sweeping lockdowns.

(As an aside, I am in awe of your ability to rewrite reality to match your prognostications. That's a real skill.)
    Don't forget that Reform won a national election only two years ago under their previous name of the Brexit Party.
    Sure.

But we have since had Brexit.

My point was that Boris is keen to remove lockdowns, and that it is both economically and electorally a positive to remove lockdowns.

@contrarian's ludicrous assertion is that he would otherwise be piling on the restrictions, if it wasn't for the Reform Party's appearance.
  • Options

----

Because their job is primarily playing international sport?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Lol.

Well, obviously not all bicycles. That doesn't need saying.
    You’re quite right. Who in their right mind would be seen dead riding a Carrera?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

One big problem for the hundred, in a couple of days most of the big names leave to play for England.

Not really. Test team vs one day specialists. Maybe 5 players will leave?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

----

Because their job is primarily playing international sport?
    I wish somebody had mentioned that before they played India and New Zealand.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Lol.

We live in a world where people like to have sex with some bicycles.

Doesn't make it much better to be honest.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Slow news day?

They want Tesla to be exclusively Serbian, with not a hint of Croatian.
    well thats a bit childish !
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    edited July 2021
    MaxPB said:

I don't know who these "people" are but a period of strong economic growth is underway and will continue.

People like me and Mrs Stodge who have been working at home for the past 16 months have accumulated a huge reserve of cash from NOT commuting, NOT buying work clothes and NOT buying Pret or similar sandwiches/coffee/cakes etc.

We want to spend it - well, she does. I'm not called Titus Shortarms for no reason. Seriously, holidays are being discussed for 22 and 23 and money is no object. New gadgets, home improvements - again, the budget seems immaterial. We won't sell up and move to the Outer Hebrides just yet, however.

There will be tens of thousands of middle class, professional, administrative households like ours.

Petrol now 130.9 at my local Tesco - a sure sign of economic demand. Oil prices back to levels last seen in 2018.

The demand is obvious and while the BoE is sanguine in the medium to longer term, there must be some inflationary pressure in the short term.

There will of course be a reckoning of some sort - the Government should now be planning how to reduce the deficit (helped, one supposes, by increased tax takes). There's no need for any further stimulus certainly.
This discussion has been closed.