Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Another post-BoJo quarantine U-turn poll sees CON below 40% and LAB within 4% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,232

Anyhoo we've had a very informative view of the bigotry of the Cybernats today and the defence of them by the other Cybernats.

Not one has the gonads to come out and say Dickson is talking offensive crap and Malcolm needs to apologise and STFU for a bit

It is revealing

I wonder if it has dawned on them that they really ain't getting a sindyref2 for a long time? Hence the bitter irritation
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Most Scottish people are perfectly delightful and friendly. But there is a sizeable hardcore of the Nat vote and, especially, Nat activism which harbours instinctive dislike of the English. If you want to see it check Scottish football fans during an England game against Anyone Else

You don't get it.

Supporting "anyone against England" is not because we hate the English.

It's because the English are such insufferable winners.

You have been going on about 1 match for 55 years.
    I've seen this in Scotland for myself. It's not just 1966 (and I can see why that grates, due to English TV coverage). There is more. There is real dislike, even hatred, at times
    Indeed. Last time me and the wife were in Scotland we were given some real anti-English zingers from Scots we met on the assumption we were both American (the wife tends to do most of the talking in our relationship). It’s real.

That's better than what I (well my wife but me indirectly) got in London. "Why are you fucking a paki when there's proper men around". It's probably the most angry I've ever been, I genuinely wanted to smash his face into a million pieces but decided against it. I probably would have got away with it but why go through court for a grade A race baiting c***. It put me off the nation of Scotland for a pretty long time.
    Your nasty posts make me feel the same way , think you need to look in a mirror. if you are half as bad in real life as the scumbag you come across as on here then it is no wonder people hate you.
    Malc, I hope you're drunk. This is beneath you mate.
    Excellent measured response Max.

Bravo sir, bravo
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

Anyhoo we've had a very informative view of the bigotry of the Cybernats today and the defence of them by the other Cybernats.

Not one has the gonads to come out and say Dickson is talking offensive crap and Malcolm needs to apologise and STFU for a bit

It is revealing

I wonder if it has dawned on them that they really ain't getting a sindyref2 for a long time? Hence the bitter irritation
    I don't think it is that.

I think there's more a dawning realisation that if we have Indyref2 and they lose it then that it is for Scottish Independence for a very long time.

A bit like Quebec, there was a second referendum which the Nats lost by 1% in 1995 and that was it, for a generation and then some.

I think it may explain Nicola Sturgeon's reticence on Indyref2.
  • Floater said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Most Scottish people are perfectly delightful and friendly. But there is a sizeable hardcore of the Nat vote and, especially, Nat activism which harbours instinctive dislike of the English. If you want to see it check Scottish football fans during an England game against Anyone Else

You don't get it.

I've seen this in Scotland for myself. It's not just 1966 (and I can see why that grates, due to English TV coverage). There is more. There is real dislike, even hatred, at times
    Indeed. Last time me and the wife were in Scotland we were given some real anti-English zingers from Scots we met on the assumption we were both American (the wife tends to do most of the talking in our relationship). It’s real.

That's better than what I (well my wife but me indirectly) got in London. "Why are you fucking a paki when there's proper men around". It's probably the most angry I've ever been, I genuinely wanted to smash his face into a million pieces but decided against it. I probably would have got away with it but why go through court for a grade A race baiting c***. It put me off the nation of Scotland for a pretty long time.
    Your nasty posts make me feel the same way , think you need to look in a mirror. if you are half as bad in real life as the scumbag you come across as on here then it is no wonder people hate you.
    Malc, I hope you're drunk. This is beneath you mate.
    Excellent measured response Max.

Bravo sir, bravo
    Should we have rules like the HoC here that you can't accuse someone of being a liar, or drunk, at least until they admit it?
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    This could end up bankrupting Arizona...

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1418696704921010178
  • malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Why don't you fuck right off.

People know full well that Max and I often disagree but I have no doubt he's an upstanding bloke who I've never seen be nasty to anyone. He always shows a lot more restraint than the likes of you (and me).

Hope Max won't mind be jumping in there - but just don't like to see people I respect abused in this way.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

Leon said:

It is revealing

I think there's more a dawning realisation that if we have Indyref2 and they lose it then that it is for Scottish Independence for a very long time.

A bit like Quebec, there was a second referendum which the Nats lost by 1% in 1995 and that was it, for a generation and then some.
    Based on the polling it like a Mexican standoff. Any party triggering a referendum at the moment is seriously risking their own demise. Polling needs to be consistently north of 60% in favour of either side to risk it.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Leon said:

It is revealing

Yes I actually think they've all realised that the referendum is lost and that's why they're becoming so nasty. Another loss and the independence movement is dead for all time.
  • https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1418944731434913803

This is utterly terrifying? I am all for tackling the obesity epidemic but this kind of approach seems totally unjustifiable. What happened to Johnson the liberal?

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

People know full well that Max and I often disagree but I have no doubt he's an upstanding bloke who I've never seen be nasty to anyone. He always shows a lot more restraint than the likes of you (and me).

Hope Max won't mind be jumping in there - but just don't like to see people I respect abused in this way.
    Don't sweat it man, I'm happy for Malc to make a fool of himself. No need to stop him from doing so.

Leon said:

It is revealing

I dunno, I think I might be nearer the truth

There really was an expectation that after the Holyrood election there would be this unstoppable momentum towards sindyref2, incredible moral pressure on Boris, the Tories would cave. At the same time people like malc thought Alba would win six seats at least, putting pressure on Sturgeon to go for it

None of that has happened, pressure for a vote has dissipated, rather than grown, the polls have not budged. NO have a small lead, a vote isn't happening til after the next GE, and even then it is extremely hard to force

Sindyref2 now recedes towards 2030, I don't expect one until the late 2020s, at the earliest

That's tough for a lot of Nats who thought they were on the edge of the next plebiscite.

And of course by, say, 2028 or whatever, the UK will have drifted further from the EU and indy in the EU will seem even more of a wrench.....
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Cinema watch- about 70/30 non masked to masked.

Also, they're still making Halloween movies?

I went to the cinema yesterday to watch Snake Eyes (a GI Joe Origin Story), and it was Great.

I highly recommend PBers repeat the experience.
    Henry Golding has been good in everything I've seen him in, so I'm down for that.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

Where are these empty shelves?!

Where are the cretins that need someone to flake their parmesan for them.
    You don't get the stale vomit effect of you create it yourself.
    Yep. Smells of sick. That's the downside of permesan.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1418944731434913803

This is utterly terrifying? I am all for tackling the obesity epidemic but this kind of approach seems totally unjustifiable. What happened to Johnson the liberal?

It's just more nanny state rubbish that treats everyone like infants that haven't got the ability to make their own decisions. My wife predicted this a few years ago as a consequence of the NHS being free. If there are no real consequences of poor lifestyle choices because the NHS will simply fix everything for free then a nation of poor health is inevitable. She's Swiss and has no special attachment to the NHS so is pretty clear minded about it.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

No flaked parmesan? Surely there was a rendering of garments and enough teeth damage to keep an NHS dentist busy for a year of assessment appointments before they do any actual work.
    Oh God, I'm going to have to say it, aren't I? Only a fool buys ready flaked Parmesan. Buy a chunk of Parmesan and grate it yourself. Or flake it if you must.
    Wouldn't that involve up and down movements of the right hand? Very hard work.
    Sounds like a stiff challenge.
    If you want to talk about my love life, I have an announcement to make

I have a new girlfriend

She is a veterinary nurse

She is 23

And, yes, she is a Corbynite (tho going off him a bit)

I do not joke. I must just attract them somehow
    Is that you, @SeanT ???
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

I think this we be something voluntary that you can try if you need. So giving incentives to people to try to turn around their health. I doubt it is the government intending to track everyone in the country’s movements.
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2021
    Leon has an odd name for his left hand but I suppose you need to get creative sometimes, been there too during a dry spell mate
    edited July 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

People get angry about sports fans getting over the top about past glories? That's amazingly petty and I dont think paints things in the light you think it does.

The only thing stupider than getting worked up about such things is pettily overreacting to it with a superior attitude.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,738

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

No flaked parmesan? Surely there was a rendering of garments and enough teeth damage to keep an NHS dentist busy for a year of assessment appointments before they do any actual work.
    Oh God, I'm going to have to say it, aren't I? Only a fool buys ready flaked Parmesan. Buy a chunk of Parmesan and grate it yourself. Or flake it if you must.

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

Is that you, @SeanT ???
    Now renamed, like his namesake John on marrying a sixteen year old girl when aged fifty, Opportunity Knox.
  • https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1419010745245868037

I think a poll crash is certainly in process
    edited July 2021

Feck knows how it’s supposed to “work”. The view within Govt must be that track and trace has been a total triumph and the organisation and technology can be transported across to other areas of Government! Presumably with D Harding in charge.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

In what circumstances? Drunk? Middle of the day?
    Saturday evening at the Star of Kings, too early to be significantly drunk or coked up though.

Basically she went out for a fag, he hit on her as she is really very, very sexy, got rejected and then he obviously saw us together later on and decided to be a racist c***.
    Probably hadn't had sex for six years. You did well not to react, probably made him feel angrier - and smaller
    It's the exactly kind of small dick energy I've come to expect from Scottish men. My wife actually said a few years after once we were married that was one of the moments when she realised she was with the right guy who was mature enough not to react, if it had happened when I was in my early 20s instead of in my mid-late 20s I would have smashed his c*** face into a million pieces. He was a rat faced 5'6" shithead.

Staying calm isn't easy but usually best?

If someone ever threatened my kids, however, the red mist would descend. I could probably murder to defend my kids. I am sure most parents feel the same
    I’m as soft as shite but I once developed a totally undeserved reputation as Trinity College Oxford’s resident hard man when me and my now wife were casually dating but not going steady yet. Another bloke took her to a posh dinner (may have been the OUCA dinner actually) and I ran into them in front quad where she was absolutely leathered. I told said other bloke that if anything happened to her I would bite a chunk out of his neck and spit in the hole. Obviously I would never dream of such a thing - but now she’s married to me. Ran into him at a gaudy a few years back - was all a bit embarrassing.
    Trinity College Oxford's resident hard man.

How high a bar is that though?
  • https://twitter.com/bnhwalker/status/1419010548864278529

Also Starmer now leads Johnson on net approval, -6 to -13

Leon has an odd name for his left hand but I suppose you need to get creative sometimes, been there too during a dry spell mate

It was the longest drought since the Dustbowl

Seven months without a cuddle.

*shocked incel face*
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085

Two possibilities for starters-

First, the plan has been leaked to destroy it, a bit like the NI for Social Care scheme.

Second, Carrie has put Boris back on a diet and he doesn't see why anyone else should have a nice time eating unhealthy food if he can't.

But ultimately... Liberal BoJo was just another costume to wear when it seemed convenient and discard when it wasn't.

Talking of which, Dom Cummings's latest Twitter outpourings are fascinating to students of human misery. (Especially his "I'm Not Posh" denials.) He's not quite acknowledged that he's been exploited and outsmarted by the Bozza, but it's clearly coming...)
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    kle4 said:

People get angry about sports fans getting over the top about past glories?

No

People choosing not to support England because the 'National' broadcaster won't shut up about 1 game that happened 55 years ago
  • Leon said:

It was the longest drought since the Dustbowl

Seven months without a cuddle.

*shocked incel face*
    Seven months without private time, how did you cope?

I have for some time been suffering from covid fatigue syndrome. Alas this is not a physical illness but a self-diagnosed mental disorder whereby the individual becomes resistant to following the latest news about covid. What I really mean is that my understanding of the current situation is a bit limited. However I am starting to feel a bit more optimistic and was wondering what fellow pbers thought.

The number of cases is starting to fall. Deaths have of course risen but the third 'wave' is the equivalent of a very minor aftershock on the charts. I can't comment on the current demands being placed on the health service but it's hard to see them being overwhelmed. Is my optimism misplaced?

I'm about in the same place. I just dont have the energy to muster anymore to follow things like I should.
    Cyclefree said:

Spaghetti alle vongole is also delicious.

Are YOU ok with my thing for carbonara and chips?
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

Saturday evening at the Star of Kings, too early to be significantly drunk or coked up though.

Basically she went out for a fag, he hit on her as she is really very, very sexy, got rejected and then he obviously saw us together later on and decided to be a racist c***.
    Probably hadn't had sex for six years. You did well not to react, probably made him feel angrier - and smaller
    It's the exactly kind of small dick energy I've come to expect from Scottish men. My wife actually said a few years after once we were married that was one of the moments when she realised she was with the right guy who was mature enough not to react, if it had happened when I was in my early 20s instead of in my mid-late 20s I would have smashed his c*** face into a million pieces. He was a rat faced 5'6" shithead.

If someone ever threatened my kids, however, the red mist would descend. I could probably murder to defend my kids. I am sure most parents feel the same
    I’m as soft as shite but I once developed a totally undeserved reputation as Trinity College Oxford’s resident hard man when me and my now wife were casually dating but not going steady yet. Another bloke took her to a posh dinner (may have been the OUCA dinner actually) and I ran into them in front quad where she was absolutely leathered. I told said other bloke that if anything happened to her I would bite a chunk out of his neck and spit in the hole. Obviously I would never dream of such a thing - but now she’s married to me. Ran into him at a gaudy a few years back - was all a bit embarrassing.

Jacob Rees-Mogg was there two years before me. Enough said.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    alex_ said:

Feck knows how it’s supposed to “work”. The view within Govt must be that track and trace has been a total triumph and the organisation and technology can be transported across to other areas of Government! Presumably with D Harding in charge.
    It's the same scheme as my insurer offers, for the sound of it.

https://twitter.com/bnhwalker/status/1419010548864278529

I think this is all linked to unlockdown. Whether public opinion isn’t fixed on unlockdown or not is another matter - may depend on whether views on lockdown/restrictions are linked to Covid directly, or to the things people liked about them and are now losing permanent wfh etc
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

First, the plan has been leaked to destroy it, a bit like the NI for Social Care scheme.

Second, Carrie has put Boris back on a diet and he doesn't see why anyone else should have a nice time eating unhealthy food if he can't.

But ultimately... Liberal BoJo was just another costume to wear when it seemed convenient and discard when it wasn't.

Talking of which, Dom Cummings's latest Twitter outpourings are fascinating to students of human misery. (Especially his "I'm Not Posh" denials.) He's not quite acknowledged that he's been exploited and outsmarted by the Bozza, but it's clearly coming...)
    I may be proven wrong but I very strongly suspect that this is nothing more than a voluntary part of the NHS app to basically just add the Change4Life program to it for people who want it on their mobile. Mobile-based Couch to 5K tracker and so on.

I absolutely detest people who pretend they are not posh, those people are nearly as bad as middle class people saying they are working class.

Terrible, terrible people.
    alex_ said:

https://twitter.com/bnhwalker/status/1419010548864278529

I think this is all linked to unlockdown. Whether public opinion isn’t fixed on unlockdown or not is another matter - may depend on whether views on lockdown/restrictions are linked to Covid directly, or to the things people liked about them and are now losing permanent wfh etc
    Although there’s another possibility - the polls (particularly internet) are being even more skewed by prolockdowners being at home whilst antis are all out enjoying themselves and/or on holiday.
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

Jacob RM actually looks like the posh Victorian hooligan in Viz: Raffles the Gentleman Thug

"Are you regarding my bird?"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/norbet/10324476933
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Paul Lever @paul_lever
    The future of the Nordstream pipeline was decided in a meeting between Chancellor Merkel and President Biden. The EU was not involved, nor were other member states consulted. Can Germany credibly claim that it favours a common European foreign policy?

https://twitter.com/paul_lever/status/1418972285516587014?s=20

AIUI the Russian company involved purchased Gerhard Schroder - more or less - (Greensill style?).

Now Germany needs to find a way to extract Ukraine from under the bus where they just threw it.

I'm quite interested as to how this is violating EU energy policy.
    Given the Nordstream pipeline had just a single contract underpinning it (between a collection of Germany power companies on the one side and Gazprom on the other), it's unclear to me why either any other EU country or the EU itself would have had a say in its future.

While still in the EU, the UK and Norway (well, really Shell, Exxon and Statoil) created the Langeled pipeline, and I'm pretty sure than neither the EU nor any other EU countries were involved. (Except possibly Ireland, because they had a reexport agreement in place with the UK.)
    I think there has been a directive or two since. Consequences for Ukraine look quite extreme. But they have some rights under their association agreement with the EU.

Refs:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-poland-condemn-nord-stream-2-deal-vow-action/
    https://www.politico.eu/article/us-and-germany-have-nord-stream-2-pipeline-deal-but-lack-authority-to-implement-it/
    Sure.

But ultimately, it is in the interests of Germany to have as many pipelines going into then as possible. It's probably in the interests of the broader EU to have similar, although the rise of LNG makes natural gas security generally better for importers.

It sucks, of course, for Ukraine. Because their leverage over Russia was stopping gas exports to Europe. But LNG was also beginning to chip away at that leverage.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

Jacob RM actually looks like the posh Victorian hooligan in Viz: Raffles the Gentleman Thug

I wondered who bought Viz comic in these more enlightened days. Now I know.

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

My wife traditionally gets me the Viz annual every Christmas.

I absolutely detest people who pretend they are not posh, those people are nearly as bad as middle class people saying they are working class.

Yes if you’re posh as I am just be posh. Twats come from all over, being posh has nothing to do with it

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

More than one person calls me Finbarr after Finbarr Saunders.
    Huge queue outside wagamama - truly life is normal again.
    edited July 2021
    Ok I now believe in ghosts.

I mean only the ghost of Monty could be behind this.

https://twitter.com/ArmyJew/status/1418877863634382853

Edit - Definitely the Ghost of Monty.

https://twitter.com/ArmyJew/status/1418882831577714694

I absolutely detest people who pretend they are not posh,
    Like 'call me Tony' Blair?

Yeah Johnson isn't a liberal at all. Anyone who spends exorbitant energy telling people how liberal they are ... isn't.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

Can you get fresh clams?
    Through Daughter as her restaurant has access to a good fish supplier. Sea bass is usually on the menu.

But it's a treat. Reminds me of home and would really like to eat it in Naples.
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Don't sweat it man, I'm happy for Malc to make a fool of himself. No need to stop him from doing so.
    Damn, and I wanted to be a white knight.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Where are the cretins that need someone to flake their parmesan for them.
    You don't get the stale vomit effect of you create it yourself.
    Yep. Smells of sick. That's the downside of permesan.
    Only if pre grated and allowed to go stale. Why restaurants do this baffles me.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,137
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

Is that you, @SeanT ???
    Now renamed, like his namesake John on marrying a sixteen year old girl when aged fifty, Opportunity Knox.
    Ooh, that's a very nice historical allusion.

Yes if you’re posh as I am just be posh. Twats come from all over, being posh has nothing to do with it
    True, but in fairness some people really do get labelled as posh incorrectly I'd say. I'm middle class but was poor, but have occasionally been called posh seemingly on the basis I have a somewhat stilted, pretentious manner, which I dont think fully qualifies.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It is revealing

There really was an expectation that after the Holyrood election there would be this unstoppable momentum towards sindyref2, incredible moral pressure on Boris, the Tories would cave. At the same time people like malc thought Alba would win six seats at least, putting pressure on Sturgeon to go for it

None of that has happened, pressure for a vote has dissipated, rather than grown, the polls have not budged. NO have a small lead, a vote isn't happening til after the next GE, and even then it is extremely hard to force

Sindyref2 now recedes towards 2030, I don't expect one until the late 2020s, at the earliest

That's tough for a lot of Nats who thought they were on the edge of the next plebiscite.

And of course by, say, 2028 or whatever, the UK will have drifted further from the EU and indy in the EU will seem even more of a wrench.....
    Scotland is a little difficult to call at present.

Eck urinated through his own letterbox and although the FM's Covid performance has been credited, the Krankies are on the rack for their financial propriety.

Scotland hasn't taken the route I thought it might over the last couple of months.
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Can you get fresh clams?
    Through Daughter as her restaurant has access to a good fish supplier. Sea bass is usually on the menu.

I thought home was south Asia for some reason. Or West Hampstead? It is Naples?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Evening all :)

Just back from a most enjoyable day with Mrs Stodge walking part of the Thames Path from Greenwich to the O2. Both venues busy but not uncomfortably so - the absence of tourists perhaps more noticeable.

The O2 main arena remains closed and the restaurants and other retail at the venue are clearly struggling.

Mask wearing declining as time passes.

The polls tell an interesting story which Opinium may or may not continue. YouGov in my view often throws out an odd number for one party (either a higher or lower value than other pollsters).

Looking back at this week's local by-election results, I noted the LDs and Greens stood against each other in three of the eight seats. In Dover, the LD vote fell 9.6% while the Green candidate (standing for the first time) got 9%. In both Leicester and the Wirral, the main contest was Conservative vs Labour so the two parties running against each other made no difference and in both cases the combined LD/Green vote was nowhere near that of the second placed party.

In Camden, the Greens didn't stand having polled 9.2% last time. Without a Green candidate, the LD vote share rose 10.2% and the seat was comfortably held.

In North Somerset, the LDs, having won the seat with 54.4% last time, stood aside and the Green won polling 64.5% as the Labour vote collapsed.

In Staines, a Green seat was not contested by the LDs (the two parties function as a single group and lead the new multi-party administration on Spelthorne Council) and the Greens held the seat despite a strong Conservative challenge and a spoiler "Independent" (former UKIP activist).

There will be no formal electoral pact or alliance between the LDs and Greens and in some areas personal and political animosities will preclude such a thing from happening. In other areas, that won't be the case - the Greens can reach areas the LDs can't or can't any longer. The LD traditional areas of strength will be (I believe) respected by the Greens.

At the next GE, I expect a number of "informal arrangements" involving LD held seats and seats where either party is the clear challenger - there will be many seats where the two parties will compete against each other.

It will be fascinating to see how this manifests next year in the London locals.

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is revealing

Scotland is a little difficult to call at present.

Eck urinated through his own letterbox and although the FM's Covid performance has been credited, the Krankies are on the rack for their financial propriety.

Scotland hasn't taken the route I thought it might over the last couple of months.
    I think you are right. Up in the air, also because of events in London.

Monty not perhaps being the best strategist himself, of course...
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    If Malcolm G and his wonderful vitriol is a sign of things to come, the next potential Indy ref is going to be horrendous
    ydoethur said:

Ssh. You'll trigger the Brexiteers.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    RobD said:

No change from Opinium, boring!

Never believe poll ramping.
    never chase single data points
    Less than half of those who have been pinged to self-isolate say they have fully complied with the rules.

30% who had been pinged mostly ignored the instruction, an increase from 25% two weeks ago.
    https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1419019724613169158/photo/1
    edited July 2021
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

My grandfather would have been a Brexiteer, had he lived, but he would have been far more cutting about Monty than any Remainer.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,569

Cummings’ problem, perhaps, is that he confuses being socially inept with not being posh ?
  • kle4 said:

True, but in fairness some people really do get labelled as posh incorrectly I'd say. I'm middle class but was poor, but have occasionally been called posh seemingly on the basis I have a somewhat stilted, pretentious manner, which I dont think fully qualifies.
    Those people can fuck off, who judges somebody for the way you speak???
    Nigelb said:

Cummings’ problem, perhaps, is that he confuses being socially inept with not being posh ?

@Otto_English If u think me Gove & Boris are posh you have literally no idea what posh is - if you want to defeat your class enemy you need to actually figure out who/what they are! Actual posh world was bitterly divided. But posh ppl not v relevant to politics now, they focus on £
    https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1418592811704803331

You silenced all who disagreed as 'the elite'. You divided a whole country into 'winners' and 'losers'. You reduced every issue to an absurd binary, as a ploy to get the throne and build a wall around it.

You just didn't expect to end up on the outside of that wall. That's all.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1418991380559540225

kle4 said:

It's all in good fun, usually - accent privilege, and disadvantage, is a thing though.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013

It depends on how you define class. I'm painfully middle class but have worked like a dog to get where I am. When you're carrying everyone's jobs on your shoulders you are working are you not?

Its like the frankly overblown faux outrage aimed at @StuartDickson earlier. Are we saying that there are only certain jobs that count as working class? Perhaps if you work in a factory and show aptitude for people and processes and end up as management you have to hand in your WC badge?
    edited July 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Nigelb said:

@Otto_English If u think me Gove & Boris are posh you have literally no idea what posh is - if you want to defeat your class enemy you need to actually figure out who/what they are! Actual posh world was bitterly divided. But posh ppl not v relevant to politics now, they focus on £
    https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1418592811704803331

You silenced all who disagreed as 'the elite'. You divided a whole country into 'winners' and 'losers'. You reduced every issue to an absurd binary, as a ploy to get the throne and build a wall around it.

You just didn't expect to end up on the outside of that wall. That's all.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1418991380559540225
    I would agree about Gove. He’s a twat, but he isn’t posh (not that the two are necessarily connected, of course).

If Cummings thinks he and Johnson are not posh, however, he’s an idiot. But then, we all knew that anyway.

It depends on how you define class. I'm painfully middle class but have worked like a dog to get where I am. When you're carrying everyone's jobs on your shoulders you are working are you not?

Its like the frankly overblown faux outrage aimed at @StuartDickson earlier. Are we saying that there are only certain jobs that count as working class? Perhaps if you work in a factory and show aptitude for people and processes and end up as management you have to hand in your WC badge?
    What annoys me is that people screaming out against "London" don't seem to think that there are working class people in London. Some of the poverty in London is the worst anywhere in Europe, I utterly despise this idea some people are more deserving than others.

I vote Labour to give a better life to all people, I don't like the Tory approach of putting communities against each other. New Labour levelled up the country all over, that's the right approach
    Excellent game in The Hundred!
    ydoethur said:

If Cummings thinks he and Johnson are not posh, however, he’s an idiot. But then, we all knew that anyway.

The whole article is great, but this is a key point...

He is not as interesting or unique as he thinks. He joins a long list of Westminster-haters who can’t leave the place alone, who think rolling your eyes at junior officials and texting gobbledegook counts as work. A blue-sky thinker whose main thought each day was how to dress as if he hadn’t thought about it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/everyones-invited-to-the-party-in-cummingss-head-unless-youre-stupid-p0x988shs

What annoys me is that people screaming out against "London" don't seem to think that there are working class people in London. Some of the poverty in London is the worst anywhere in Europe, I utterly despise this idea some people are more deserving than others.

I vote Labour to give a better life to all people, I don't like the Tory approach of putting communities against each other. New Labour levelled up the country all over, that's the right approach
    Perhaps if Gordon Brown hadn’t actively excluded effect on House prices from the bank of England’s mandate...
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

My grandfather would have been a Brexiteer, had he lived, but he would have been far more cutting about Monty than any Remainer.
    What always annoyed me about Monty is that he never really acknowledged how lucky he was compared to his predecessors in North Africa.

He had a German army denuded of fuel and essential supplies, plus all the enigma decrypts. And he just did "ok".
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

My wife traditionally gets me the Viz annual every Christmas.
    She gives you one every Christmas?

She gives you one every Christmas?

Sneck, sneck.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393

You've just conflated 'Working Class' and 'Poverty'.

Interesting.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

kle4 said:

My partner gets it too. When we first met during her first term at University, she had such a broad Geordie accent, most of London couldn't follow her. So she moderated it. Then she taught English in Asia for many years.
    Now she is very well-spoken with a very pleasing Northumbrian lilt.
    Back in the NE, this makes her "posh" to some. Even if she is from the roughest bit of Newcastle's West End.
    Some folk take how you speak exceptionally seriously and make all kinds of judgements. We see it with politicians all the time.
    It is a blight on this island imho.
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

What always annoyed me about Monty is that he never really acknowledged how lucky he was compared to his predecessors in North Africa.

He had a German army denuded of fuel and essential supplies, plus all the enigma decrypts. And he just did "ok".
    He admitted he had a tired, knackered British army, still suffering, psychologically, from World War 1. And he was probably right
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

What annoyed my grandfather was the way he mishandled his tanks.

If I tell you he was a staff officer in 9th Armoured Brigade and his elder brother was a squadron commander in the same brigade, you will understand why.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

My partner gets it too. When we first met during her first term at University, she had such a broad Geordie accent, most of London couldn't follow her. So she moderated it. Then she taught English in Asia for many years.
    Back in the NE, this makes her "posh" to some. Even if she is from the roughest bit of Newcastle's West End.
    Some folk take how you speak exceptionally seriously and make all kinds of judgements. We see it with politicians all the time.
    "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him." - George Bernard Shaw.
    True then and true now.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr Pete,

"I wondered who bought Viz comic in these more enlightened days. Now I know."

I'm Spartacus too.
    Terrifying floods in Belgium

You get caught in this, you die

https://twitter.com/NoodweerBenelux/status/1419009595612278786?s=20
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited July 2021

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1419010745245868037

Opinium @OpiniumResearch
    The latest Opinium & @ObserverUK poll shows the @Conservatives maintaining an 8-point lead over @UKLabour
    The Conservatives have retained this lead for 3 polls in a row.

One does wonder, with all these declining internals, how poor the opposition must be not to be able to shift the overall voting intention....

Opinium @OpiniumResearch
    The latest Opinium & @ObserverUK poll shows the @Conservatives
    maintaining an 8-point lead over @UKLabour

One does wonder, with all these declining internals, how poor the opposition must be not to be able to shift the overall voting intention....
    Oh look, another "Starmer is crap" post from you, shocking news
    Leon said:

Another once-in-a-century flood in Belgium, a week after the last one. #ClimateEmergency https://twitter.com/meteoexpress/status/1418998999277883401
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

MaxPB said:

So has there been no case data today? Are we not getting that until tomorrow now?

31.7k iirc.
    Thanks! Is that all 4 nations?

My forecast last weekend for the game of predicting the reported peak was really far off - I predicted reported on 24/7 at 75,997 cases (39% increase on last week's data).

Looks like today's data is less than half of my forecast. 😲
    It’s starting to look like the case rise was slowing, then got a huge bump from the euro final and that has now dropped out.
    This weekend for the first time since February last year, took the girls to a (belated) birthday party for a classmate. Unsurprisingly most of the conversation I had with the fellow parents while the kids played on a bouncy castle was about the virus etc - the general consensus was that everyone in the group was expecting a lockdown this winter. I was the only one that is not expecting another lockdown.

I remain convinced that the UK pretty much has large elements of herd immunity already that will prevent another lockdown being necessary, since ~92% of adults have antibodies already, and that the virus is just currently filling in the gaps in the sections of society that have large elements of unvaccinated people: the very young, or vaccine refuseniks.

Cases will spread now over the summer, but minimal in the way of deaths as we've seen. The same again may occur in September when schools reopen. But there won't be any reason to have a winter lockdown.

If I'm right on that, then I think expectations are so low that the government might get some credit for beating expectations.
    The people talking about booster shots in autumn or winter are presumably less sanguine than you.
    Oh I 100% expect boost shots in the autumn. But that's kind of the point, if everyone by the autumn is vaccinated and if everyone gets booster shots in the autumn then why would we realistically need a lockdown in the winter?

Incidentally this was part of the discussion we had: one person said he thought there'd be a lockdown in the winter as we'd need booster shots but they wouldn't be ready until autumn next year, I said that there'd be a booster campaign this autumn and someone else (working in the NHS) confirmed they were preparing for it. The person who thought we'd have a lockdown due to a lack of booster shots then agreed that we wouldn't need a lockdown then if that goes ahead.

Opinium @OpiniumResearch

Could be a polling flaw?

Remember in the lead up to GE2015? Dave led Ed pretty much on all the supplementaries yet the headline VI figures implied a Labour lead government.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

My Geordie accent has moderated over the years, likewise Wor Lass's Yorkshire accent.

I had the same issue when I went to University - bloody southerners who couldn't understand spoken English!

I do find 'posh Geordie' amusing - the folk who say "Ny'castle'".

Opinium @OpiniumResearch

I don't post "Starmer is crap" posts - I leave that to Labour supporters.
  • Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited July 2021

Opinium @OpiniumResearch

Apart from the gibberish geek-speak of your 'declining internals' (argh that is one of the worst I've read in an age) this is such a ridiculous post. You've just seen two big lead declines (YouGov and Survation) to 4%. If Opinium is on 8% that's not out of kilter.

And your same poll has just posted up big declines for Johnson's favourability. A 10% drop in support for the Government, the sharpest decline since May.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1419010745245868037?s=20

Opinium @OpiniumResearch

Every post from you I see is Starmer is crap in some other form. We get it, you think Labour is shit and you think Labour is shit. No problem.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    edited July 2021
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Are YOU ok with my thing for carbonara and chips?
    If it suits you, who am I to argue. It is not very Italian though. And why not pasta? Chips would seem too heavy for me.
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Can you get fresh clams?

I thought home was south Asia for some reason. Or West Hampstead? It is Naples?
    Can't explain South Asia. My brother lived there. I have only ever travelled round India

I am half-Neapolitan. (Other half is Irish). Spent a large part of my childhood there. Italian is my first language. All my early memories are of Naples so, yes, at a visceral level it is home.

Lived in Hampstead & West Hampstead for very many years. Also Brixton.

Now living in the Lakes where, despite being thousands of miles away, next to the North Sea, in a region known for its rain, which sometimes comes in horizontally, and occasionally fierce winds, I am obstinately growing oranges, lemons, clementines, figs and a vine on my terrace. So far the summer weather has been kind.

I can see the sea from my window so it is not so unlike Naples where seeing the sea, going down to it, playing in the park next to it, staring at the fishermen drawing their nets in and at the small motoscafi bringing in contraband cigarettes was a constant.

There is something liberating and tempting about being able to see the sea.
    Leon said:

It certainly puts some of the flooding we've experienced in this country over many decades into perspective. Often devastating no doubt, causing huge financial damage and hardships - but rarely seen torrents of water like this. I guess it shows what could have happened if that dam had failed a couple of years ago.
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2021

Opinium @OpiniumResearch

Could be a polling flaw?

Remember in the lead up to GE2015? Dave led Ed pretty much on all the supplementaries yet the headline VI figures implied a Labour lead government.
    Opinium is only pollster with a recent poll showing Starmer lead Johnson and also the only one showing a larger Tory lead (?)

MaxPB said:

So has there been no case data today? Are we not getting that until tomorrow now?

31.7k iirc.
    Thanks! Is that all 4 nations?

My forecast last weekend for the game of predicting the reported peak was really far off - I predicted reported on 24/7 at 75,997 cases (39% increase on last week's data).

Looks like today's data is less than half of my forecast. 😲
    It’s starting to look like the case rise was slowing, then got a huge bump from the euro final and that has now dropped out.
    This weekend for the first time since February last year, took the girls to a (belated) birthday party for a classmate. Unsurprisingly most of the conversation I had with the fellow parents while the kids played on a bouncy castle was about the virus etc - the general consensus was that everyone in the group was expecting a lockdown this winter. I was the only one that is not expecting another lockdown.

I remain convinced that the UK pretty much has large elements of herd immunity already that will prevent another lockdown being necessary, since ~92% of adults have antibodies already, and that the virus is just currently filling in the gaps in the sections of society that have large elements of unvaccinated people: the very young, or vaccine refuseniks.

Cases will spread now over the summer, but minimal in the way of deaths as we've seen. The same again may occur in September when schools reopen. But there won't be any reason to have a winter lockdown.

If I'm right on that, then I think expectations are so low that the government might get some credit for beating expectations.
    The people talking about booster shots in autumn or winter are presumably less sanguine than you.
    Oh I 100% expect boost shots in the autumn. But that's kind of the point, if everyone by the autumn is vaccinated and if everyone gets booster shots in the autumn then why would we realistically need a lockdown in the winter?

Incidentally this was part of the discussion we had: one person said he thought there'd be a lockdown in the winter as we'd need booster shots but they wouldn't be ready until autumn next year, I said that there'd be a booster campaign this autumn and someone else (working in the NHS) confirmed they were preparing for it. The person who thought we'd have a lockdown due to a lack of booster shots then agreed that we wouldn't need a lockdown then if that goes ahead.
    We're in a really good position for booster shots in the Autumn, with a mixture of Novavax, Valneva, Pfizer and Moderna. I suspect that AZ will be tweaked as well, but in all probability it probably makes more sense for that to be used in developing countries as it is easy to distribute, and it makes more sense for first jabs to be AZ than for us to use a third AZ jab as a booster.

Opinium @OpiniumResearch

Every post from you I see is Starmer is crap in some other form. We get it, you think Labour is shit and you think Labour is shit. No problem.
    Citation required.

Opinium @OpiniumResearch

Apart from the gibberish geek-speak of your 'declining internals' (argh that is one of the worst I've read in an age) this is such a ridiculous post. You've just seen two big lead declines (YouGov and Survation) to 4%. If Opinium is on 8% that's not out of kilter.

And your same poll has just posted up big declines for Johnson's favourability. A 10% drop in support for the Government, the sharpest decline since May.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1419010745245868037?s=20
    If you don't understand the difference between "top line" and "internals" I can't help you.
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

The whole article is great, but this is a key point...

He is not as interesting or unique as he thinks. He joins a long list of Westminster-haters who can’t leave the place alone, who think rolling your eyes at junior officials and texting gobbledegook counts as work. A blue-sky thinker whose main thought each day was how to dress as if he hadn’t thought about it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/everyones-invited-to-the-party-in-cummingss-head-unless-youre-stupid-p0x988shs
    That's quite a quote.

But also at least a little bit bullshit. He was an absolutely core component of the Leave campaign, and without him, maybe the vote would have gone a different way.

Maybe though, that was his high watermark.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013

Opinium @OpiniumResearch

BigJohnOwls isn't a Labour supporter
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Just watched a feature film about FGM. I have to say it's something of a niche subject for a two hour movie!

Opinium @OpiniumResearch

BigJohnOwls isn't a Labour supporter
    Neither are you
This discussion has been closed.